Designers » D E » Floral Green « Groups

Zig Zag Dana for women

Zig Zag Dana for women
dislike

Zig Zag was originally launched in 1949, and re-launched in 1999. Top notes: bergamot, lemon, mandarin, orange, bitter orange, basil and tarragon. Heart: jasmine, lily of the valley and white flowers. Base: orris and patchouli.

Available as 100 ml EDT.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Bitter Orange Orange Tarragon Basil

Jasmine White Flowers Lily-of-the-Valley

Patchouli Orris Root

Zig Zag Fragrance Reviews

lolitajade
lolitajade

smells like avon eau givree, la perla, o de lancome sort of a smell but avon no longer do eau givree and a lot cheaper than the latter two :)

French smelling and summery!!

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

It is pleasant for a cheapie. Not sweet. The main note I get is fennel. It is unobtrusive and fades fairly quickly. There is something refreshing about it in a herbal sort of way. Very little patchouli. Just enough to give a faint base note to anchor the whole thing.

doormouse1
doormouse1

I adore Zig Zag. I bought up half a dozen bottle when it started getting harder to find, and I'm so glad I did.

It is completely unique - I love the citrus hit that dries down to that aniseed softness. I share this with my husband, as it is a perfect unisex scent.

I often have a little spritz of this just before bedtime, so it has become my 'sleepy-time' scent indulgence.

Kiku
Kiku

Zsa Zsa Gabor. Maybe the "young'uns" here don't know it, but today's over the top Gabor was once the epitome of fresh faced loveliness and quiet elegance. Surveys conducted in the 50's and 60's revealed that more women wanted to look like Zsa Zsa than any other celebrity -- and this was the heyday of Liz and Marilyn! So perhaps it's not surprising that in 1949 La Gabor became the first celebrity perfume -- "Zig Zag", launched by the French house Houbigant. Like the woman, ZZ was not very sweet or very ladylike. It was exciting and different, a unique blend of notes(Reportedly, Gabor choose them herself). ZZ is dominated by pepper from beginning to end. It is there in the opening along with ripe, lucious citrus. It is in the heart with creamy white roses, licorice, and anise seed. And it is there in the drydown with pungent green notes like tarragon, basil, and a tiny bit of rosemary. Zig Zag never became a big seller. Perhaps it was too different for it's period. By the time it's distinctive notes were acceptable the image of the woman famous for quips like, "Dahling, I'm a wonderful housekeeper. Whenever I get divorced I always keep the house!", was too outdated for the hippie/women's lib generation. Houbigant discontinued it in 1969 and sold the formula to Dana. Dana sat on the fragrance until 1999 then relaunched it. It didn't set the world on fire on it's second go round either and was once more discontinued. But plenty is available on ebay at very reasonable prices(I recently got a 3.4 ounce bottle for $13.00 and that included shipping). Get yours and a back up before this gem is gone forever.

FunkyTomo

Having used up my first 100ml of ZigZag during the heatwave we have recently had , i looked to ebay to get another. I got one even cheaper than the last time . £3.99 including postage !! The seller has lots of it too.

This is an excellent cheap n cheerful scent for hot weather . Cooling , refreshing and very "Zingy" with the aniseed /citrus combo !! I have yet to smell anything else remotely like it , a very unusual perfume. Cheap enough to carry around for freshen ups .

The weather has gone wet and dull again ...While buying this I am hoping for another heatwave so i can use it !

Excellent quirky , eccentric find at a great price.

UPDATE - Very hot humid and wet weather ATM , this perfume is perfect !! Ive gone through 2 big 100mls Btls now.....Very UNDERATED perfume - Its going to go in the top 5 for summer.

FunkyTomo

Another pleasant surprise out of the bag of testers i got off a fellow member :)

My experiences with Dana frags have been mixed so far. A bit like Avon , for me its 50/50 hit or miss!

I like this one. Different and eccentric yes ! Interesting to read below that it was commissioned by Zsa Zsa Gabour!!

Fruity and fresh with a strong aniseed vibe . Unique and different. I could imagine this could be quite sexy on the right man ...unisex and suitable for hot or cold weather . What a versatile surprise from Dana ! Ive certainly not come across anything like it before. I would wear this , and its FB worthy. But I have a sinking feeling its going to be hard to find !!

Edit - Not hard to find after all . 100ml for under £5 on fleabay :)

gazelle
gazelle

Definitely a fun fragrance-jeans and sandals.

cowboykenny27
cowboykenny27

All I get from this fragrance is liquorice and aniseed. I'd say its definately unisex because of this , but do you really want to walk about smelling like aniseed twists or liquorice allsorts? personally its a no from me ...

Lilionne
Lilionne

I love this perfume and I just can't find this perfume anymore and anywhere, please help me: is it still available?

efm
efm

Unisex - loads of bitter citrus.
I also get liquorice and fennel and hot mint although these are not listed.

Upon reading the notes I can get the tarragon. No sweetness , lots of herbal lift.

Works in hot weather.

It was supposedly designed / commissioned by Zaa Zaa Gabour in the 1940's so an early celebrity fragrance ?
The scent is certainly eccentric and an interesting addition to a collection but for me, more as a curio than a personal statement.

Zig Zag by Dana 3.56 out of 5 based on 17 ratings and 10 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dana Zig Zag fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dana Zig Zag, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Zig Zag by Dana. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Zig Zag by Dana represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.