Designers » D E » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Davidoff Davidoff for men
dislike

leather
Davidoff Davidoff for men Pictures

Davidoff by Davidoff is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Davidoff was launched in 1984. The nose behind this fragrance is Edouard Flechier. Top notes are artemisia, lime, basil and lemon; middle notes are carnation, orris root, caraway and rose; base notes are leather, patchouli, oakmoss and castoreum.

Artemisia Lime Basil Lemon

Carnation Orris Root Caraway Rose

Leather Patchouli Oakmoss Castoreum

Vermeil Pour Homme

Davidoff Fragrance Reviews

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Davidoff Davidoff is nothing short of MASTERPIECE none bar. I'm so fortunate to have found this PHENOMENON fragrance which was tucked away in a corner in one of my fav store's which just caught my attention.
When I first sprayed this frag it definitely came across being heavy which may turn some off. If you are patient you will enjoy a RICH DESIRABLE aroma coming from a touch of rose and caraway with a heightened masculine appeal of leather.
You can smell a real sweet/woodsy juice from patchouli, orris root and oakmoss making this frag FABULOUS!
Longevity is 10/10.....it's PERFECT for a fall/winter days and best during the evening when you want a frag to be able to make a connections with those who are able to enjoy a really high quality fragrance. Silage is also excellent, you can smell it more then 3ft away without layering it.
Overall opinion,
Being an old school frag it's an OPULENT frag which is absolutely divine touched by the God's of the fragrance. Nothing less then perfection is this frag especially when other's were being launched at the same time. I wouldn't give up this fragrance because I loooooooove it a lot!!!! 10/10...♡♡♡♡♡♡

Marciu

On the osmoz (e.g.) you can find a notes breakdown that contains castoreum instead of the coconut... It looks more less like that:

"Note of Top : Artemisia, Basil, Lemon, Sweet Lime
Note of Heart : Carnation, Rose, Thyme, Iris
Note of Base : Castoreum, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Leather"

Interesting indeed.

Marciu

I saw two kinds of notes breakdown of this fragrance. One of them had castoreum in it, second one is what we see here.

Which one is correct?

cytherian
cytherian

Castoreum is used in the composition of Davidoff original. That substance has been described as "Urine, wet cardboard, feces at first. When it dries, it turns more sweet but has a slightly dry, astringent edge--gorgeous." I've found this to be true.

To my nose, the initial blast of Davidoff has this rich floral, citrus, woody leather quality. Within a few moments, there's a shift and the castoreum starts to come through. And honestly, the smells is reminiscent of stale urine. Or "Animalic" for less offensive imagery. It's not as challenging as straight civet, though.

Thankfully, after about 10 minutes into the dry down, the character shifts and the castoreum starts to dry/sweeten giving way to a delightful citrus, woody, mossy, leathery quality to this fragrance. This is the character that makes Davidoff original so highly appreciated, and what makes it all the worthwhile to put up with the opening (if indeed your nose gets the same impression as mine). Sillage and longevity are both very good. The quality of formulation is first rate. I just wish it completely agreed with me, but it doesn't somehow. I ended up trading it for something else, but if I were to recommend this to anyone I must caution that sampling first is a very good idea, as body chemistry plays an important part in its impression. 8.0/10

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

I get a very nice lime and leather starting things off here but it all to quickly dries down to a dry leather. I give it points for being different than the rest.

Bbjr
Bbjr

I just received a bottle of this and Oh My! This stuff is something special. Not like anything ive smelled before. Very masculine with a wonderful dry down. I get almost a nutty smell but it's mixed with the spices perfectly. I based my purchase off of the feedback on this I site and it's the best blind buy I've made. Glorious!

reinhard5490
reinhard5490

This fragrance hit me with such an impact that quickly becoming my favourite - The fastest from all that I had tried for since the first sniff, I simply amazed.

Utter masculinity from the beginning to the end, blending quality is superb, ingredients also top-notch. lime in the opening is a bit sharp and could be off-putting, but it would quickly subdued into sweeter scent - I notice Rosy quality - and definitely leather here, all playing with harmony to compose one of the finest for men fragrance ever made; I have Zino and it's not this good, they're truly different (Yes, pre-reformulated with italic DAVIDOFF) Zino is more of well-behaved men in his flannel jacket when Davidoff is a cunning oligarch - unforgivingly masculine, even when the coconut giving creamy accent to the drydown (creamy leather with sweetness of Rose; wonderful)

The projection is simply moderate but accompanied with a good longevity just gives the better image about how this scent is meant to be - not for desperate calls for attention with monstrous projection but able to show its presence clearly and respectably. Those who said this smelled like Old-Money and Capitalist hit the spot, Davidoff evoke the image of power and wealth in a manly way.

When you found this one, quickly grab them. They're increasingly rare and hard to find

Some have claimed that Vermeil was made to copy this one, and I certainly see the similarities. The major difference is that this is much smoother than Vermeil, which you may or may not like. Here, there seems to be a "green" kind of quality I have yet to detect in Vermeil, while the tobacco note is obvious in Vermeil but not here (if there is one). I have a feeling many would view them as similar. In any case, I like Vermeil's idea better, actually. With that one, you get powerful citrus, tobacco, and castoreum (probably civet too!), with light florals that add some body (rose in particular, I'd guess). Davidoff is the gentleman's castoreum scent, while Vermeil is the rogue one. However, though Vermeil is powerful and crude at first, the drydown is quite nice, and almost niche-like really (ingredient quality seems quite good for the prices I see it sell for). So, my advice is to get a sample of Vermeil and if you like it, you probably don't need to spend a lot of money on a bottle of this one. If you like the idea of Vermeil but it's too crude for you (and you don't want or need the tobacco note) then you may enjoy this one (another to try is vintage Leonard Pour Homme, especially if you like carnation). Note that the last way I would describe this scent is as a fougere, so it seems like we have yet another example of the misuse of that term!

UPDATE: Over time it just fades out, not changing significantly. There is a period when the castoreum seems just right, but I'm not a fan of this note so others might fight it weak. If you do, go for the original Dali masculine and see what you think. I haven't worn the Dali is a long time because the castoreum there seems even stronger, and I had to wash it off last time. So, if Davidoff is the gentleman and Vermeil the rogue, Dali is the sadistic witch hunter of the Middle Ages !

iconoclast

UPDATE: Tried this again today. Stunningly special and just crying out to be some lucky one's signature fragrance. It has an unmistakable old school feel about it, macho but sophisticated, that WILL garner attention whether you like it or not. It delivers the impression that whoever is wearing it is an extravagant and proven leader - I could easily envisage the late Malcolm Allison having worn it to go with his fedora, rings, etc. Of the most recent crop of football managers, perhaps only Fergie or Mourinho have the gravitas to pull it off convincingly.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Smelled on a paper strip: YES! I need to get this on my skin for a proper test. Citrus and then a leather. Very nice!

Smelled on my skin: NO! I hate to use this word, I really do, but it just smells *dated* to me. That particular leather is all wrong on my skin. It's sweaty 1970's leather watchband leather. Not a fine smell at all.

teteuzinhu
teteuzinhu

good if you are 50.

JohanB
JohanB

Bands/Artists of the 70's are still playing or doing a reunion tour. When can we expect a reunion or a vintage version of the best Davidoff perfume ever?
Dear Mr Davidoff, listen to your customers.

fuggerone
fuggerone

lime..woody and leatherish...wish was still available here, one of the best fragrances ever!

iconoclast

If capitalism had a smell, then THIS would be it. This fragrance reeks of money both old and new – loads of it. This starts off brashly and bitingly green with pronounced citrusy & dirty animalistic/leathery tones which overall may scare off many potential buyers. But wait a little longer, and you are rewarded with a heavy green, limey, dusty, imposing and very long lasting fragrance that I reckon would attract admirers rather than lovers, and command the wearer with all round respect and attention. CEOs, plutocrats, oligarchs, Gordon Gekko wannabes (and their lawyers), as well as captains of industry looking for a signature fragrance need look no further. Teenagers, metrosexuals and the like should stick to their cKs and Tommys and not make the sorry mistake of confusing it with its brother Cool Water, as this has an altogether different attitude. Frankly YOU need to have ‘attitude’, loads of it, to wear this without feeling or smelling incongruous. IMO marvellous as Zino and Cool Water are, Davidoff is better (and don't even mention Echo). After smelling this, I might even buy into this whole cool power vibe thing and start smoking cigars (cough, splutter, wheeze…) and sipping cognac wherever I can.

Man, I love these dark green fragrances - indeed Tsar is my all time favourite fragrance and if you like that, I'm pretty sure you’ll like this too. I’ve already spotted a couple of bottles of Davidoff to add to my collection very soon and can’t wait!

Davidoff in the daytime, Zino at night. Awesome.

ericrico
ericrico

A bottle of potent, refined juice - best ever from this house...and there are plenty of other bottles that Davidoff has put out over the years that are staples in fragrance lovers' wardrobes! It is a true aromatic fougere with an old-school masculine vibe. If you don't like a huge, retro opening of sharp carnation, fresh-squeezed lime and warm leather blended with green notes (basil and artemisia) - then don't even consider buying it. Leave this to guys who want to smell like distinguished gentlemen with taste & class. The drydown has nice patchouli and moss coming in, but Davidoff retains its freshness and sharp notes throughout. This is a classic...a fragrance from yesteryear that can only be worn by someone with an aire of sophistication and macho attitude - any time of day to any occassion. You could wear it as a formal fragrance or even dressed down - but you MUST wear it with "Attitude", capitalized for a reason, and know how to spell chic (let alone understand what it means), or it will wear you.

I put this next to some very special bottles of mine. Be careful when buying - the last bottle I purchased had a bad atomizer/sprayer and I had to spend a good deal of money to have the juice taken out and put into a 2nd hand bottle. Nothing against the seller - he is top-shelf! But, Davidoff has never been known for having the best plastic sprayers...damn good juice, though! It has been reviewed very well here and I like what shamus1 and marioslg1 said...definitely MACHO and rare. 9+/10!

**Update** - A shot on my sleeve and one on the back of my hand right now...I had to come back to this as I have been really loving and admiring other fantastic male fragrances with rose as a note in the composition. I have to say that it is a very definitive fresh bloom that blends beautifully with the lime, basil, carnation, patchouli, orris root, rich oakmoss, gorgeous castoreum and classy leather in Davidoff Classic! I waited for a good 30-40 minutes as I sprayed it on my shirt to see the transition happen slower (the rose came in at about 15 minutes on my skin). What a beautiful bloom!

This wearing of Davidoff Classic makes me understand just how good this scent is. I will adjust my score, accordingly, to 10/10! Some just touch excellent (a 9 rating) - this is clearly a notch above that...awesome. Actually, near perfection. A masterpiece, in my mind. For me, the absolute best use of castoreum ever in a bottle of scent (although it is not listed in the pyramid above), it is there and blends wonderfully with warm, rich leather and smoky olibanum. Only one other classic scent - Vintage Antaeus by Chanel - can compare for most distinguished use of the animalic note provided by the beaver in fragrance. Yatagan by Caron is worthy to note as well, but the overall compositions are so vastly different.

A classic that incorporates some of the most incredible depth in a male fragrance one can find - yet, somehow...it never gets too heavy. It stays vibrant and wonderful throughout the wearing. It will stain a light-colored shirt and last for many, many days on fabric. Incredible. Sublime.

TapisRougeNyc
TapisRougeNyc

Where can i buy this amazing one of a kind fragrance. When i was living in Brussels, i used to wear it in 1985 and take a bath with the gel douche!
i live in Manhattan so if you have any idea, i beg you to let me know!

shamus1
shamus1

If you love macho scents, you need to get this. It's like a demolition derby in a bottle. Brutal lime, patchouli, carnation and leather blast out of the bottle, slamming into your sinuses full throttle. This unholy brew ultimately tones down a little bit and gives way to this ultra-macho tobacco and leather scent that goes hand-in-hand with drinking Scotch and smoking cigars. Not even a room full of cigar smoke can hide the smell of this full-bore powerhouse.

Davidoff is not for kids or anyone trying to blend in with the crowd. It's not pretty and it doesn't do subtle well at all. It's loud and brash, and it's a MAN'S fragrance. I love this juice.

MY RATING: 9/10

marioslg1
marioslg1

I accidentally found today in a pharmacy, 125ml edt, 75ml edt and 50 ml after shave....and i bought them all. this was my first experience with this perfume. it is very masculine and together with zino, the best from Davidoff for real men. All other are not for my taste including the famous cool water. Here we are talking for a real men perfume, something that you can't find easily today. I found some bottles in ebay today for $129 per bottled as the specific perfume is very rare.
I cant understand why davidoff stopped producing those two perfumes....it is absolutely insane for me to have such perfumes in your collection and stop producing them. I had a lot of years to smell such a manly scent....one of the great classics of 80s!

fqjcior
fqjcior

One of a kind. VERY (I mean it!)masculine with complicated formula and interesting ingredients. A fragrance for a mature man, super well blended. NEVER EVER for a boy under 30! Sharp opening but don't let deceive yourself! After an hour it changes to a very masculine, elegant and subtle smell with a lot of class. Really I adore this fragrance for it's class. It's quite long lasting too. It makes me feel actually more mature (I am 34) and older, yeah.... But it's OK. Davidoff Classic is a good example of what a real fragrance for man used to be in 80-ties. It's a pitty it became so rare today. But I managed to buy 25 ml bottle without spray and I am happy. To be honest - I use it ocassionaly, when I feel I need to feel like an mature man sitting in the armchair made of leather with a cigarette in my hand. It mixes well with cigarette smoke. I doubt it works well in summertime, but it's great for the rest of the year. Try it IF YOU CAN!

Davidoff by Davidoff 4.40 out of 5 based on 74 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Davidoff Davidoff fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Davidoff Davidoff, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Davidoff by Davidoff. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Davidoff by Davidoff represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.