Designers » D E » Oriental Woody « Groups

Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men
dislike

I have it: 1144 I had it: 402 I want it: 524 My signature: 30

Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men Videos
Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men Pictures Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men Pictures Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men Pictures Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men Pictures Zino Davidoff Davidoff for men Pictures

Zino Davidoff was created in 1988 as a classical male perfume, uncompromisingly masculine. Its elegant floral heart is surrounded by masculine components. It starts off stingingly fresh with lavender, palisander, clary sage and bergamot at the top. The heart is composed as an elegant floral bouquet of geranium, rose, lily-of-the-valley and jasmine. Warm and manly components lock the composition down: patchouli, cedar wood and sandalwood, along with a tender touch of vanilla. The fragrance is named after the founder of the brand. Zino Davidoff was launched in 1986. The nose behind this fragrance is Michel Almairac.

Lavender Clary Sage Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood

Mesmerize

Zino Davidoff Fragrance Reviews

guyakaguy
guyakaguy

The best way to describe this fragrance is luxurious, elegant, and sensual, yet comfortable and casual.

It's masculine, but its rose/lily-of-the-valley/jasmine notes put Zino on the edge of androgynous.

It starts out citrusy and lavender-y; fresh yet soapy with a bit of wood and patchouli in the background. After about 10 minutes the rose and vanilla start to peek out with just a hint of the L-O-T-V, at the same time the citrus and lavender fade. It stays like this for the next 4-5 hours with occasional hints of sweet powdery jasmine before hints of cedar appear at the 4-5 hour mark and hang on for the duration (the remaining 3-5 hours).

I absolutely love it, but my wife thinks it smells a bit like old lady during the jasmine-y part, especially if you over-apply. It's an indulgent fragrance for me that I enjoy every minute of though, so I won't wear it while I'm with her. It's not strong, but for some reason the more powdery aspect of the florals is accentuated if I use more than 4 sprays; keep that in mind.

I've also yet to receive any compliments or inquiries, outside of my house, so time will tell as far as that goes. Zino is one that I selfishly wear for me, and nobody else. It's also one I'd give a shot before it disappears.

smash747
smash747

Awesome!!! I put this right at the top of my "best value, dollar for dollar" list, along with Sung Homme, Jacques Bogart Pour Homme, Midnight In Paris, Ulysee and Achille by Vicky Teil, and now since the price has dropped considerably, The Dreamer (which is a Bogart PH clone).
This is not to say that any of the aforementioned are cheaply made, they've simply been overshadowed by the newer, more trendy frags.
Anyway, back to Zino. At around 20-25 USD, you may pass it up thinking it's probably a dud. Not so. Of course, as with all frags, it is according to your personal taste. But whether or not you like it, based on purely objective, nonpartisan assessment, this can certainly rival many niche fragrances in terms of sillage, longevity, quality of raw materials (at least to a discerning nose), and, most important, composition.
For me, I would consider buying it at high-end designer, or even niche price. Luckily we don't need to.
As some of the others have mentioned, the only drawback is the opening. A bit overbearing, but quickly relaxes and evens out into something that is just wonerfully different. The Patchouli notes, for me, are not as dominant as others have described. I think Clary Sage slightly, just slightly, dominates, with Cedar balacing it out. Certainly Rose notes are there, but just a touch. after about a half hour it's all the above, only now with a velvety feel and a slight hint of Vanilla or even Tonka Bean. All the florals with the Cedar holding it down is just really well done and really different. And really, really, fantastic!!

cytherian

You really cannot go wrong with this fragrance. It is still so very affordable in the last formulation [block lettering] (often a 125ml bottle can be had for $20 in the USA). The initial blast is a bit peculiar and synthetic, but wait for the dry down. It warms up to something rich with well rounded patchouli, rosewood, and sandalwood. If I was starting over, this would be the first fragrance I'd buy.

greg1187
greg1187

I have to admit when I first sprayed this, I hated it. I could not believe this was the fragrance I'd heard so much about. It was a blind buy, and I bought it mostly because of it's (potential) link to Johnny Depp. And so that first day I was like WTF JOHNNY!! I even bought a small sample from eBay to make sure this was definitely how it was supposed to smell.

But now, a month later, I get it. And it truly is a masterpiece. It's gothic, haunting, and yet weirdly uplifting at the same time. Never mind Johnny Depp; this is Edward Scissorhands' go-to fragrance.

I don't see this as a suit and tie fragrance as other's have mentioned; it's more of a black leather jacket sitting at the back of a dark bohemian bar type of vibe.

I'm not huge on notes, but I can tell this is a patchouli bomb, so it has that nostalgia to it and will transport your mind to abstract and interesting places.

Easily the most unique fragrance I have ever encountered.

Marcel

I just picked up a 125 ML bottle with "Davidoff" in block letters. The box ssays "Dist: Lancaster Group US LLC, NY...". And "Made in France, under Zino Davidoff's License".

So, I assume this is a reformulation? It's not vintage, right?

Anyway, it's still one of the best perfumes ever created in planet Earth!

davidmichael44
davidmichael44

Such a beautiful man's scent.... I love this to the core.

Amaz-Singh Scents
Amaz-Singh Scents

Really am pleasantly surprised by this...The opening is a bit rough but just wait for 15 mins and the beauty of the fragrance takes over...When the dry down sets in, i get a Creed Orignal Santal/ Joop Homme/ Mont Blanc Individuel vibes...I think i am the only one feeling so...

Its definitely for Winters and Above 30+ gentlemen...Younger wearers wont be able to appreciate its class.

nailzer
nailzer

Love the fragrance, worst cap of any bottle I have. It's actually air tight. It pops up after being pushed on. Don't grab the bottle by the cap!

3lirex
3lirex

This is a nice but VERY masculine perfume, i blind bought it and it arrived today.. at first spray i remembered my father straight away, i think this fragrance is for men 40+ .. i do not think this would suit a younger man unles MAYBE if you're wearing a suit.
However after a bit when the scent settles it becomes slightly less old and masculine, nonetheless i still think this is a bit too mature for a 20 years old like me, i might give it to my father

guynspfld
guynspfld

I think this is one of the classiest scents. It is timeless. Pure patchouli delight!!!!! It is close to 30 years old, but still as relevant

mike2342
mike2342

pure retro smelling perfection, im hooked 9/10,everytime i wear it i just wanna watch a johnny depp movie

Jayhawkforever
Jayhawkforever

Like another review I read I didn't like this at first. It grew on me very quickly once I woke up the next morning & noticed how good I smelled. It does open a bit strong but these older fragrances are more about the finish than the start. That's how it should be, right? Of course it should! This one's special folks.

mohsen95
mohsen95

ProgAlfa
ProgAlfa

Its ok to have a miniature of this but i wouldnt buy a bottle

Lunchbox148
Lunchbox148

........This is an epic fragrance....
I couldn't stand it at first, I wish I could go back in time and slap myself. This was THE fragrance that sparked my love/appreciation for old school 80's fragrances and I've been hooked ever since. The opening takes some getting used to, but now I can't get enough of it! I get complimented like crazy when I wear this, honestly one of my most complimented winter/fall fragrances. It smells like it cost $200 not $20, nothing remotely cheap smelling/synthetic about it. This has become very sentimental to me and it's one of the first fragrances that come to mind when it starts cooling down.

10/10 Scent
10/10 Sillage 4 spays is almost too much, 5 is balls to the wall beast mode, 2-3 is perfect for work maybe 4 on the weekend.
10/10 Longevity last a full work day until I take a shower.
Versatility 9/10 docked one point because you shouldn't wear this if it's above 85 degrees.

Sorry I can't find any flaws it almost reaches perfection for a cool weather fragrance. At $20.00 it's a safe blind buy in my opinion.

fragcentral
fragcentral

Zino Davidoff is a hugely underrated fragrance in my book. It is an amazing patchouli, rosewood, and lavender for me. It lasts 10+ hours and projection is excellent for the first few hours. I do receive compliments with this one and people like the smell of it. Even got a few Oh Wow, You Smell Great! A gentleman, classic scent, though it is a bit mature probably for the older man. It's darker than most, but smells excellent. And the price is great.

10 of 10.

Sajid Rehmani
Sajid Rehmani

In my city few perfumes are not found easily. One of my long lasting repentance is that I missed the golden era of perfumes and could not buy many perfumes as I was a student at that time. Especially three I miss desperately now, Boss Spirit, Romeo Gigli and Zino. Luckily I found Zino though reformulated. I have not tried it and when I will taste it.I will update my review.

adoratek
adoratek

Original, dark, exotic, intoxicating, sensual, seductive, addicting... Need I go on?

I think this is one of the pioneers of classy and powerful scents that distinguish you from the rest of the surroundings.

Honestly I believe this fragrance played a major role on the "Dark", "Black", and "Extreme" versions of other brand houses.

I will always have a bottle of it... It will always be a beloved favorite.

I was sadly disappointed when this scent was discontinued several years ago. It seemed like when it finally caught on as the invaluable powerhouse that it was... it was suddenly gone and prices went through the roof.

Albeit, the reformulation is not what the original was, I am still happy to see its return and it is still one of the best of the best even in it's weakened state of existence.

FlirtBoy
FlirtBoy

Classic masculine and romantic stuff. Starts with vanilla-lavender-rose combo and after an hour some patchouli kicks in and dominates the fragrance. Lovely 80s cologne and together with Cool Water the best of Davidoff. If you are a patchouli-lover I definitely recommend to try it. Longevity and projection are great, just don´t overspray otherwise it can get a bit choking.

Monte Casino
Monte Casino

Magic. I just love it. It smells expensive, sofisticated, unique. It is warm and classy with a kick of freshness and estimulates your senses. I love it

popeyecdl
popeyecdl

Im 25, I blind bought this fragrance.

I will probably only wear this when I want to feel like single handedly capturing a bald eagle, then mount its back while holding the excalibur in my right hand to behead the last of the Mexican Grizzly Bears...well that's how it makes me feel at least

I heard that it was completely masculine and was like "hey i don't have anything super manly, ill try it"

It definitely smells like an older man and im talking about a man that breaks logs with his bare hands just because he can.

to me this is a BIG MAN fragrance a hunter, hard worker with a respectable father vibe.

its extremely dominant

i do like the smell of this however it is far too masculine for me to wear anywhere social.

Scent 8/10

Farhad.persia
Farhad.persia

یه رایحه کلاسیک و چوبی و دلچسب،ولی متاسفانه ماندگاری سابق رو نداره

no-fi
no-fi

Zino is a strangely captivating scent. It manages to smell cohesive despite the inherent tensions within its composition - the bracing fougere top notes couldn't be further from the smooth, vanillac oriental base.

What holds it all together is the dominant patchouli that persists throughout. The patchouli's dirtiness works well with the sharp lavender and biting bergamot at the top, while its woody sweetness forms a smooth accord with the sandalwood, cedar and vanilla in the base. The floral notes in the heart scarcely make themselves known; their role is to smooth out the tensions between the competing accords. The overall effect is refined, warm and inviting, but still a little bit rough around the edges when it needs to be.

A few words on the patchouli here - it's one of the dirtiest patch notes I've come across. At first it is sweet but skanky, almost urinous, but it soon settles down into a warm woodiness. Still, if patchouli isn't your thing, it's best to avoid Zino - this scent is a patch bomb. For those like me who love their patchouli, however, that's very much a good thing. Another plus is Zino's solid performance - it has very good longevity and decent arms-length projection.

Overall, Zino is somewhat of a minor classic. It's easy to wear, despite its aggressively dirty opening, and can be found for a steal. I'd say it's worth a try if you're a fan of big, unapologetic masculine scents with a tender twist.

roll4fun
roll4fun

A pleasantly rich masculine woody scent that has mediocre longevity/projection. Other people in your "sphere" will know you're wearing it, but it isn't going to nuke them.

I manage to get 2 - 3 hours of meaningful projection before becoming a skin scent, and completely fading away in 5 - 6 hours.

I don't see the resemblance to Guerlain Heritage that a few others do. One could vaguely call it a less floral/more woody version of Guerlains' finest.(IMHO)
That said, I'd consider making "Zino" my signature scent if it had 9/10 the performance of "Heritage".

Konga5000
Konga5000

BLIND BUY.
Somewhat generic but appealing nonetheless. Not for young guys by any means. The wood/herbal/vanilla combines nicely, actually.
Cheap enough for a Man's Barbershop frag that is above average. Worth blind buying because of the price.

timon912
timon912

I held off on this one for a long time because the notes didn't appeal to me, but now I'm looking for a new "cigar smoking" frag and decided to try it. And wow, it's great! Love the Pachouli with the wood and sweet vanilla. It really does go well with a nice cigar. My only gripe is the strength is s bit low, but I just keep spraying away and it's all good :)

NEONERO
NEONERO

A very unique fragrance from Davidoff,and a pleasant one at that!The most noticeable notes are the rich and hardy wood notes along with the subtle and sweet floral notes and smooth vanilla.The opposing natures of the masculine and complex wood notes with the calm and sweet floral notes commingle exceptionally well in this cologne,crafting a genuine and unique modern fragrance.
Scent:8/10

100% night fragrance
old-school fragrance

ehsanazmodeh
ehsanazmodeh

ادکلنی گرم و تند مخصوص روزهای سرد من این عطر رو خیلی دوست دارم و نمیدونم چرا نت اولیه این عطر رو اصلا دوست ندارم و نت ثانویه و تاپ نت این عطر با گذر زمان خیلی خوب میشه با اینکه عطر ارزان قیمتی است ولی همه اسم این عطر رو از من می پرسند و باز خورد بسیار خوبی بین مردم داره پخش تا 4 ساعت و ماندگاری تا حدود 6 ساعت این عطر داره و جزء یک شاهکار ارزان قیمت هست البته آگه نسخه اصلش گیرتان بیاد و ساخت ترکیه رو نگیرید

nickelrider
nickelrider

I purchased a 4.2 EDT based on the positive reviews and upon first spray it's obvious this is a very well-constructed, balanced, and refined mens' fragrance. The kind I would normally love. But I have to say I only 'like' this ... because of the floral notes. IMO, if the floral aspect was somehow fresher or 'punchier' this would a whole lot more appealing. One youtube review nailed it for me: The floral note comes across as sickly (or dead) flowers .. akin to Salvador Dali Pour Homme - although not to the extreme degree of SDPH. Nevertheless, the dead flower vibe presents too 'Gothic' an aura for me ... but obviously others love ZINO just as it is ... so long live Davidoff's iconic Zino!

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

I am overwhelmed by this amazing composition. I was 26 when I bought it and i will never forget how surprised I was. Others had been talking about it and said that it was quite unique.
I love the combination of the patchouli and spices. Allthough patchouli as a single note does not appeal to me.
The fragrance seems quite strong in the beginning. The drydown makes me give in to the alluring powdery spicyness of patchouli.
I love that the drydown makes the fragrance appear different over time.
Very beautifull.

fnzeee
fnzeee

This is the best value purchase I have ever made. A true performer, and perfect for an office environment. Its basically a dirty patchouli scent...very masculine and as great longevity and projection. I find myself choosing it over many more expensive or exclusivevscents in my collection. Would highly recommend.

Theborr
Theborr

For me, this just smells like strong mosquito oil. This is the only fragrance ever that made me feel sick. Will try this again in a couple of years, but for now it is a big no.

rihis22
rihis22

Him,

He's one's own man, relaxed, confident, he has this mischievous smirk that's always with him, it says, just wait you'll see.

Divine is what this is.

Fonvad
Fonvad

Mature , manly , strong. I have almost a hole bottle. 125 ml . Nice sent but not for me . Somebody want to swap??

SirMasterpiece
SirMasterpiece

The drydown for me it's like Jaipur combined with Azzaro PH. Damn, it's good! :-)

selenium_m
selenium_m

Irrelevant to gender classification, this is THE fragrance. I love this scent from my early child age, therefore never cared for its' notes themselves. Zino is simply something I can't mix up with any other smell. Many times I wonder how this would "sound" on a female (skin)...

s kant
s kant

A smooth, bright, and effervescent aromatic fougère and a classic scent to be certain.Yoy will find patchoulli, tobacco, leather, herbal, floral and this is rich and luxary fragrance. Longevity and sillage are excellent.I want to share a wonderful experiment with this classic to all my friends-- it goes very well with montale black aoud layering.8 sprays zino and 4 of MBA and it becomes very very classy with a heavenly smell. I may be wrong hence will request my learned friends to try and will be eager to listen their views. Now a days i am working on varios layering combinations to enhance the varities.....lol.... A gem and must buy for a powerhouse frags lovers

roozbeh.rezaie
roozbeh.rezaie

Zino never disappoint me.exllent classic!

★★★ Observation on formulations:
I've done multiple samplings of both the last and older release and there IS a difference. It is subtle, but there. Both are great, but if you can, try to get the original. You can only appreciate it by experiencing it first hand.

Zino was apparently produced in enormous quantities (now discontinued), as the last version is still easily found. The earlier release is gradually becoming more expensive to get, and eventually it will be harder to find. If you love Zino but haven't had the original, try to get some while it is still reasonably priced.

Cerulean
Cerulean

★★★★

Amazing opening of clary sage, lavender and bergamot with a strong masculine character surrounds you in a bomb like sillage. After half an hour, the rose and geranium show this beauty's softer side, on a base of vanillic sandalwood and patchouli. At this point, if you like Musc Ravageur, you're going to love this classic.

It took me a while to discover what a beauty that one is, even the current formula.

Fans of winter sensual masculines like Antaeus and Musc Ravageur, give this underrated piece of art a try when you enter your local discount store.

Martinello
Martinello

Once you get used to the dirty top note it's lovely.

RobbieX

Gorgeous, long lasting, great projection. A gem...a classic!

Kentington
Kentington

Big rosy woody boozy scent...a cordovan-colored smell, if you will, and truly unisex, but not in the bloodless 'citrus-fresh' manner. It's modern in the manner of Arabic-themed perfumes, but if Zino were composed in 2016 it would have a garish oud note in it, which I'm glad to say is not present.

As with so many fragrances my first experience was with a vintage miniature, which I liked well enough to replace with a full sized bottle when it was finished. I can't speak for vintage vs modern, as I have heard dramatically different reviews on the subject. I preferred the safe bet and bought the same version twice. Prices on Ebay being what they are, a little careful watching can net you a bottle between $8-15 an ounce.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

No serious men's fragrance collection could be complete without this gem.

mrjohnburns
mrjohnburns

For such a low priced fragrance I cannot believe the quality of Zino. All I can say is this fragrance, to me, represents a late spring walk, in a dense pine forest, with an abundance of moss on the pine trees. A real gentleman's fragrance.

elderado
elderado

If you smoke a cigarette on it, it becomes the Original Zino!

FYI: i go with Marlboro, the key is to smoke a lot, the more Marlboro you smoke the more Original it becomes!

marvesan
marvesan

I blind bought this one. Read some good reviews and got a large bottle for a good prize. This just aint for me, I think it smells like cheap mosqito oil.

Anyone intersted in a swap? I would like anything better than this one.

I live in Norway.

Anand_R
Anand_R

Nothing moves me like Zino. The sensation I experience is something I only encounter when I'm listening to a very emotional piece of music by someone like Rimsky-Korsakov or Khachaturian. It's 'the' best fragrance I have ever worn, so far. It's the perfume I wear for all the 'special' occasions in my life. And it's also what I wear when I'm just chilling, by myself, at home. If I had to choose only one fragrance from my entire collection, it probably would be this.

It opens with a sharp pungent herbal accord with Geranium, Sage, & Bergamot supported by a nice round Rosewood note. After a short while the Lavender peeps in, soft and powdery. And it smoothly moves from there to a beautiful, creamy, sweet rose-patchouli-sandalwood accord - and pretty much stays there for the rest of the show. I do get strong whiffs of tobacco and subtle leather but neither of these are listed. The tobacco must be the Ambergris. That's the beauty of it. The ingredients are top notch. Nothing smells cheap or synthetic. Projects beautifully and lasts all day. It's not overpowering in anyway. Perfect for all occasions. Especially for intimate moments - she will want to eat you up with a spoon.

This is pure genius. Classy masculinity in a bottle. Crème de la crème.

fuzzybutt59
fuzzybutt59

I recently bought some Zino,I must now have the reformulation.It's still a great fragrance but not the powerhouse it used to be.

K1
K1

This is wonderful how a plant like clary sage duplicates fleshy nasty human body sweat smell. This plant is notorious for its raw smell and Zino bravely shows dose of clary sage, lavender and patchouli. Patchouli brings yummy sweet mood to it, almost animalic and filthy. Three hardcore notes in the beginning to compose an overpower Christmas night fragrances. Very manly, very reliable, very strong. It gives me vision of a classic man in his 30's with brunet skin, square chin, wavy hair, four-shouldered, and stony teeth behind his gentle smile. He wears woolen pull over! Yes good perfume is like this! Enormous projection and giant longevity
★★★★

Thiago Mendes

Ceejay1974 I think you only like daytime and summertime fragrances. This one is for cold winter nights. That's all.

samofthesouth
samofthesouth

My word, this stuff is good... (I only possess the vintage)

Elegant, refined, understated, powerful, confident, and so so cool.

Zino is a polite bastard.

A gentleman with a healthy dark side.

A wealthy capitalist, with only a standard savings account.

A muscular man that drives a Mini.

His suits are off the peg, but he gets them tailored afterwards, to perfection.

He cares for everyone, but he has few friends.

He wore pristine white trainers/sneakers to a wedding before the hipsters had facial hair.

He had facial hair at birth. And it WASN'T shaped. ;-)

atikuzzamzn
atikuzzamzn

Cheap in price , very good manly smelled fragrance.But very poor longibility. I guess 3 hours. Overall everybody should buy one piece of "ZINO". Very beautiful smell.

ecojoe69
ecojoe69

I finally broke down and bought this blind based on the 50/50 reviews I was reading. I loved the idea of a masculine, woody, patchouli scent. I knew there was a chance I would love it.
I am on my second day of wearing it and I just don't love it. I cannot help but think the issue is that its a cheapened reformulation of a better original. I has hints of beauty and masculinity but alas I too feel it is more synthetic and soapy than anything. At first, it is VERY medicinal but that goes away quickly. Afterward, you are left with a nice woodiness, musk and patchouli but there are a good many other notes in there that I just don't care for- maybe the lavender? Silage is good and it last a good 8 hours on me.
I only spent $20 so I am not upset and it is something I may keep just to have it around, but it isn't something I can highly recommend.

After a full day of wearing it, I really like its drydown. You are left with a warm, musk/wood/patchouli that is what I feel is "masculine".

BriantheFragranceNewb
BriantheFragranceNewb

I get the woodsy patchouli vibe which gives it a slightly spicy vibe to my nose. I don't pick up on the florals so much. I think the vanilla is likely in there to take the edge off, but this is definitely not a "sweet" fragrance for me. This is very masculine. I enjoy it.

Ale
Ale

What a nice surprise!Directly from the eighties a wonderful, long lasting mix of woods,flowers and vanilla. A must try.

4trl0ver
4trl0ver

I smelled this once a doctor, didn't know it was davidoff Zino, but man oh man! this radiates dominance and power, very manly and strong indeed.

dylan.kohout
dylan.kohout

Pretty nice stuff. It's a soft, smooth fragrance with a woody backbone. Really nice and manly without smelling dated either. Highly recommended!

Ray Achnioach
Ray Achnioach

A most wonderful fragrance. I am fortunate to possess both the vintage and current editions. The current version in the 3.3 oz bottle with some block lettering has been concocted in France while the vintage in the 2.5 oz bottle with all script lettering features a "made in West Germany" sticker on the bottom of the container. As for a description of Zino, both vintage and current would come out quite similar. This a marvelously balanced fragrance with very noticeable notes of rich rosewood and cedar blended with a fabulous rose essence, enhanced by other delightful florals and an invigorating clary sage. Very elegant but unmistakeably manly and full bodied. There are very percievable differences however between the vintage and current formulations. The vintage is a fuller, richer, deeper and smoother scent, while the recent version has a bit of a higher note to it, not paticularly shrill but thinner, comparatively shallow and higher while also a bit rougher than the silky, smooth, creaminess of the vintage original. These differnces however aren't vividly appparent and would likely be impercievable to vast majority of sniffing noses. Of course as expected the vintage has somewhat more durability in terms of longevity but both last a good while and both have a similar sillage that is graciously asserive but not overly aggressive. Zino is in the category of a true gentleman's fragrance. It could be appropriate for formal use but not limited to such occasions. While not especially erotic it could be romantic in the right circumstances and environment. Zino is a fantastic fragrance for daily wear to accompany a well groomed and dressed fellow who engages the world with vital confidence, warmth, congenietlity and elegance.

Ali76

Even with current reformulated weak version, I keep getting back to this again & again and enjoying the unique and mesmerizing smell, even if I have to reapply it. This juice is really something, how much I wish I had the vintage version. Keep the performance part aside, Zino has climbed on my LOVE category for being an amazing smell.

Mojtabaa

A few days ago, I tested CURRENT REFORMULATION of Zino.
I never smelt the vintage but as soon as I tested current version I said: ah... that familiar scent...
To me current zino smells very synthetic.
There is also a sense of dirty-ness or as some say the smell of rotten fruits or bread in it.
I don't know if this rotten smell was present in the vintage or not...
Anyway it is not heavy nor citrusy, it is rather a swwet vanillic frag with very synthetic rose and other notes in it.
Besides, to my nose it is not a unique scent at all, at least in my country I've smelt Zino very much in many occasions.

PS: The price is very affordable and low, so I can't complain too much about its quality.
It is totally a masculine romantic scent with good longevity and ok projection.

joerodeo92
joerodeo92

One word for this: Metropolitan. Just as George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue is the musical embodiment of the sounds and sights of the big city, this is its olfactory equivalent. Deep, rich, refined, and earthy to an extreme that makes me want to kiss it. The lavender is definitely there in the initial burst, but soon capsizes and fades beneath the hypnotizing waves of rosewood and patchouli. The sandalwood's personality here is understated, but FAR from negligible. It doesn't soar like the more gregarious rosewood and patchouli. Instead, it watches from the shadows no less wise to its own importance as the others are. The cedar, vanilla, geranium, etc stand quietly at a distance. Every so often, they gingerly make their existence known. In regards to them, remember that discreteness does not equate to nonexistence nor insignificance.

Scent - 8/10
Sillage - 8/10
Longevity - 8/10

Buckbrick
Buckbrick

Classic classic scent. Few scents can evoke the 70s and 80s like Zino. Sadly I'm almost afraid to wear this due to the overbearing rosewood from the outset. If you can survive the nuclear blast, you'll be rewarded with the most awesome skin scent. Id probably cave in one day and buy a flanker. Such is the allure of this fragrance.

Dear miletto,

It seems that Zino is still in production, though some claim that it was discontinued in 2011.
In any case, it is easilly available almost everywhere with low reasonable price.

@ ecscentrix
Thanks for appreciation! It feels nice to be of some help.

@seachase
Totally agree with your opinions!

ecscentrix
ecscentrix

@ Sam lbh
I totally agree with you,coolwater indeed was another gems from davidoff.
And nicely & concisely written review by you!
Thumbs-up!

In my opinion givenchy gentleman too, is good f you liked this a lot!

Thanks

seachase
seachase

After all these years, and one reformulation, Zino is still 100% sexy masculinity in a bottle.
This is truly a timeless scent, one that appears to get better with each passing year.
A perfect blend of notes that creates a unique, big, bold, dark and serious aura, but it's also playful, joyful and sexy as hell.
I've read that Johnny Depp uses this as his signature fragrance, and I can certainly understand why, but I can also imagine every man from Clark Gable and James Dean up to Channing Tatum and Bradley Cooper enjoying this wonderful fragrance. Simply put, this is elegant manhood in liquid form.
A true and well deserved classic that will still be relevant a 100 years from now.
A perfect cologne that gets my highest recommendation.

Scent - 9
Sillage - 9
Longevity - 8

boulouboulou
boulouboulou

In a few words, it's all i like in Guerlain's Heritage without all i do not like.
Plus it has a persistent citrus note that makes it younger and more playfull than Heritage. The sandalwood note is faint but i find it perfect, i do not like this note to be proeminent in frags. But it's a matter of taste.
Additionnaly, it's much cheaper too. The bottle is not very refined, but personnaly only the juice matters.

I bought the new version, and longevity is correct.

Very nice frag.

sam ldh

One of the few releases of Davidoff which have unique character, eg.Cool Water, Goodlife etc. Slightly contemporary, classic, warm scent very suitable for both office and casual useage.Distinguished, classical and nice lasting of about eight hours. What more can you get at this price point!

Even safe for buying blind, IF you appreciate classical perfume.

Happy Sniffing!

Sam Singer

francisnatanaell
francisnatanaell

As the great deseption i suffered with Cool Water`s poor longevity/projection i want to give another chance to this house, but kinda worried that reformulation has had put their filthy hands on it, i`ve heard not so good comments about it here, if someone has tested the new reformulated version please let me know how it performs and if it´s at least close enough to the old one or the contrary, i would be very grateful about it. Thank You Guys in advanced.

Dead Memories
Dead Memories

i deleted my old review just to change it to "WOW" if you R a boy or gay just dont wear ZINO , Zino is masculinity in a bottle , like old school MAN not some wanabe from todays boys , anyways just keep in mind the real man who wears zino needs a real woman too , some young girls may think this is rubbish but let em bask in their foolishness , this is for A MAN.
Scent : 6.7/10
Longeity : 8.5/10
Projection : 7/10
quality : 6.5/10
Yay or nay :) YES so much
Overal : 7.2/10

Vintage review:

OK, let's get this out of the way first: my vintage is a "parfums Davidoff" version with a sticker that says "Made in France" as I would think most do, although there is some stuff floating around out there about certain scents being made in Germany as well (I have no idea if that's true with Zino).

Right, so on to the fragrance. Put as simply as possible, and with all balance and concentration issues from advanced age aside, this version of Zino smells IDENTICAL to the current block-font version touted by Lancaster. If you think there's a "more natural" sandalwood note in vintage, I strongly urge some research on that subject. While not impossible, the likelihood that actual sandalwood oil of any quality was used in the vintage formula is slim to none, mainly because this was a pre-Cool Water Davidoff scent that is by all measures their first perfume to perform in the European market in the eighties. It was never a high-priced fragrance, while rules out a return on investment, if using expensive sandalwood was an option back then. Furthermore, Michel Almairac, the nose behind this scent, was a graduate of the Roure School of Perfumery, which was a division of Givaudan, and Givaudan trademarked "Sandalore" in the summer of 1977. In my opinion, Almairac was exposed to Sandal ore in his studies and early career, and it is much more reasonable to suppose that he tinkered with it in Zino in the eighties. Thus I believe the Sandal ore molecule is used in both formulations of Zino to a small extent. The sandalwood is present in both, and smells lovely in both, although it is not a "star player" in the composition - patchouli, amber, and rosewood are far more prominent.

I'd stick with the newer formula, and I'd even question if a "newer" formula exists at all. Some have suggested that this was never really reformulated in any significant way, and I would not doubt it based on my comparison of the different vintages. One more thing - I am under the impression that Coty Prestige is still manufacturing and distributing Zino, under the pretense of still being Lancaster, a name that was generally erased when Coty changed its branding image in the late nineties. If you're familiar with Mennen Skin Bracer, you know that even though it is no longer made by Mennen (Colgate-Palmolive owns it now), they still print "By Mennen" on the label, because they know the people buying Skin Bracer are brand loyalists who would balk at the Colgate logo on their precious aftershave.

I think Coty is employing the same sly marketing logic to Zino, and printing "Lancaster" on the packaging. Otherwise I can not explain how this supposedly discontinued Davidoff scent (discontinued over ten years ago by many accounts) would continue to be so readily available at such reasonable prices.

At the end of the day, Zino is simply a gorgeous ambery fougere to enjoy on the weekends while taking drives through the country with a loved one. It's that good, that timeless, and a true gem in the world of masculine ferns.

manos1965
manos1965

I was looking for a vintage bottle of this for a long time.
Finally few months ago i found one and i was very excited.
But after trying it BIG DISSAPOINTMENT.
Nothing Special with this.
Only offensive creamy patchouli.
I keep it only for my collection.

epicenez
epicenez

I get lemon lime with a hint of pepper. Longevity and sillage not the greatest and I do not get any of the notes pictured above besides bergamot. It's nice and fresh, but probably nothing like the original.Strong on open but fading rapidly. Update, I've been layering this with patchouli leaves to give it a bit more kick and it really has done the trick for me, liking it more and more.

longevity 7/10
scent 7/10
sillage 7/10

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

When certain fragrances go through reformulation, some people seem to behave as if the original was like unicorn tears. In some cases this may be true, but I don't find it with Zino. I've owned bottles of both the vintage and the reformulation and whereas the vintage did have more depth, there is not an incredible amount of difference between the two. Both have a bright, almost blueberry opening, and then settle down into a sandalwood, rose, and patchouli base. Both are classy, sexy, and sleazy all at the same time, and both are preferable and more affable than the pretentious glass-cased Heritage.

The only difference I can see between the two is that the reformulation kind of fades after a bit. It is definitely softer, but that is not always a bad thing.

Fall/Winter/Spring
Can be worn casually, but I find best for romantic days and nights.

Vintage: 4/5
Reformulation: 3.5/5

onlymynoseknows
onlymynoseknows

This reminds me of my brother. He had this fragrance in the beginning in the 90's and he always oversprayed it. It was such a horrible fragrance. The whole house smelled like Zino and it gives me headache. Also my parents were not amused by this fragrance. I think this is a fragrance with an everlasting longevity. Its worser than bugspray and toilet detergent. It has a very annoying patchouli vibe that i smell also in Angel by Mugler which is one of my most hated fragrances.

I can't imagine that people below 45 are wearing this bugspray. It makes you a dirty old smelling man.

Sophisticated Redneck
Sophisticated Redneck

Simply put, if you're not wearing Zino, you're a Zero.

Answer to valantis:

Aha, those vials... Personally I haven't seen fake vials... It should be original.
But about the formulation, sometimes the picture shown is for older formulations, but what you recieve is different, that is to say, a new formulation with block letters not cursive one.

Answer to valantis:

They can be old formulations or fake ones which are filled with fake juice.
If you want to make sure about it, you should check the batch code of it. It is stamped or printed on the bottom fo the package and bottle. The should be the same.
Enter the code here: Checkfresh.com.
If the code is right, then the time of production will be shown.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

I had the reformulation. Nice enough but nothing special. Ok I suppose. A blind buy. No plans to replace it, mainly because there are others I prefer.

djjokerboy
djjokerboy

I've had the $25 4.2 oz bottle a few months now and the scent was missing something. THE SANDALWOOD! I got very lucky this Christmas and stumbled upon a 2.5 oz on eBay for $39.00 ONE SPRAY and OMG!!!!! The rush of middle school memories when I first smelled this in a Details magazine came rushing back! The vintage if you can find it is AMAZZZING! please skip the re formulation . It doesn't smell anywhere near the original.

Bagarus
Bagarus

Dark, romantic, amazing, but...
Just got what is called "a new formula" the one that is pictured above. Simply lacks the depth! Badly...im so sad because all you get is just a glimpse of what it used to be. It just breaks down to quick and leaves some sort of vanilla. It is very pale. Nothing even near to 10 hours of mystery aura people had wearing this one. If anyone, and i guess many of you are, a true 80s fragrance lover, than you know what i mean. Hate not being feared of overspraying! Where did the fun go?!
Sry guys, but i would say this beauty has been discontinued in sort of way.
Vintage Lover...

Ali76

The new formulation is 3 minutes of bliss..... okkkkk, 5 minutes but that's it. I guess Davidoff is still manufacturing it just to let us know how GREAT the original must have been.

No use of buying this anymore, now I am using Zino just to layer with other patchouli based or green scents to give a little more sophisticated masculine kick.

gedlive
gedlive

I just blind bought this after researching and good reviews. Very good blind buy. Its a bit old school but must be one of the best old school. Smooth well blended. Beutifull manly florals, but masculine and a bit sexy scent. The clary sage is an amber like aroma that reminds me of Kouros, the first frag that wowed me 25 years ago. Its a bit like Aramis but more refined, no raunchy tabaco. It's also compared to Guerlain Heritage which I have. Heritage is more saturated contemporary with Amber. But I allmost feel more comfortable wearing Zino, it is more masculine and Heritage more formal.

Presant form: 7.5/10

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

First of all its not an everyday fragrance. U need to be formal, decent and sophisticated to wear it. Very strong opening and than herbs and flowers play a role. A dark and very unique stuff. It reminds me a beautiful evening with sunset. Very nice and Decent.

houstcs
houstcs

I just applied this early this morning after owning a decant for more than a year. I was a little scared to try it on. So, afterwards I wish I would have right away. This is a very nice patchouli fragrance and I do not find it macho at all. In fact, I could see women wearing this now. Maybe in the 80s no, but today many women are wearing strong bold fragrances. I get patchouli and a little rose. It smells wet, warm, and fresh. Not fresh as in today's ocean fresh market though, maybe a little soapy although I am not sure I always understand that term since soaps come in all scents. It's a good one this Zino.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

There's nothing like time to bring into focus the appreciation of things you may not have in your youth. Back in the early 90's I acquired Zino and while I liked it, I was not exactly crazy about it. Lack of awareness of one's preferences scentwise and warm weather may have influenced this. The times and tastes were surely different then, at a time when the true macho classics of the 80's reigned supreme before they were buried by the Cool Water tsunami and its debatable aftermath. I have made Zino my acquaintance once more and I must say that this fragrance was sure ahead of its time back then. This juice should be considered niche in today's standards of over-saturated commonness. That is the beauty of this juice. It is not common. It is sophisticated, exotic, and it requires a certain perspective to be appreciated. This doesn't mean you have to be older to understand it. It just gives you the context of the times and evolving tastes, and the realization that beauty is truly eternal. The fact it is discontinued is just another sad reminder that in today's age, massification continues to try to bury the bright shining light of individuality. It sure tries. But it will not succeed.

Bobx
Bobx

Just got my bottle of Zino and at the moments i smell piss note like Kouros have and I dont mind it at all :) Herbs at opening remind me a little on Miyake Blue. Still waiting for drydown...

.......
Now after testing Zino last week i can only say that this juice is amazing. Herbal,sweet smokey woody opening blast cause apocalipse around. I catch sage,patchuli and cedar and little bit of tobaco too. Problem is longevity because it last around 4 hour on me, sillage is perfect first 2,5 hours then just disappear even on the clothes. I have Coty version of Zino, reformulated one,that lacks of longevity. But definately its worth of buying since 125ml can be bought for miserable price.

DSun
DSun

I've always held Zino Davidoff in the same regard as Minotaure and YSL Pour Homme. This is the best patchouli-cedarwood-citrus blast ever. Don't let the price tag fool you, the bargain basement price belies a very well-blended construction.

The vintage and reformulation differ on the opening but dry down almost identically. Aldehydes carry the citrus notes further down the timeline on the reformulation. Four hours in, there's absolutely no difference, unless you factor in the conspicuous absence of endangered sandalwood... It is endangered, therefore all is forgiven. At least, Coty Inc just did away with it instead of taking the horrible synthetic chemically sweet sandalwood route that the re-issued Minotaure took.

The reformulation lasts longer, too. I really don't see any reason to hate it. It's the one and only reformulation Coty Inc made that works and works well...and then they discontinue it. WTF???? Does that even make sense?

So, grab a bottle or two..reformulation or vintage...or both. You won't regret it.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

Zino is an unusual, dark, charismatic cologne that breathes a herbal like note on the skin.

As it calms down, it becomes something more pronounced in a cigar and leather sort of sense. Not your average male cologne in my estimation - something as easily in place with a well dressed man in his late twenties, to a suited gentleman in his fifties.

I'm a woman and I wear this on occasion, because it is so different. Strikes me as a confection as done by the likes of Lutens. It has that quality and mix and eccentricity to it, and class.

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

26 yaşındaki bu parfümü her yerde bulmak mümkün degil. Şans eseri Vialand içinde bulunan bir magazada karşıma çıktı. Gereken ilgiyi göremedigi için sanırım, fiyatı da oldukça uygundu. Hakkında okumuştum ama kullanmamıştım. Çok rahatlıkla şunu söyleyebilirim; piyasadaki popüler erkek parfümlerin yarısını rahatlıkla ezip geçer. Evet, konuda biraz eski havası var. Ancak kesinlikle rahatsız edici değil. Hayatı boyunca bir berber salonunun nasıl koltuğunu bir defa tecrübe etmemiş kişiler tarafından bu tarzda kokuların "berber kokusu" olarak tanımlamalarını zaten hiç anlamamışımdır. O salonlar, Arko traş sabunu, pudra, limon kolonyasi ve hafif ispirto karışımı bir kokuya sahiptir ve bazı parfümler bu kokuyu çagrıştırır ancak bu parfüm değil. Patchouli kullanımı bence oldukça gûncel bir havada. İlk başta sahne alan limon, portakal vb. karışım ise bence birçok fresh tabir edilen parfümle aynı düzeyde.
Kalıcılık ve koku dagılımı son derece güçlü. Parfüm dünyası için ihtiyar ama formu ve tarzı ile genç olan bu parfüme rastlarsanız mutlaka deneyin. Soğuk kış günleri için belki hafif kalabilir ama onun dışındaki tüm mevsimlerde rahatlïkla kullanılabilir. 30 yaş üstü erkeklere uygun.
Gül yada vanilya biraz daha baskın olsa yada ud notasi eklense bu parfüm rahatlıkla yarın piyasaya "yeni" olarak sunulabilir.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

I've put off reviewing this one for a while, but here goes. Whilst I am a fan of Davidoff fragrances I think it's fair to say none of them are particularly that well blended, this however is. A real blast of Patchouli and Cedarwood, very well made. Very dark and masculine and extremely long lasting. Even the packaging and top are masculine. Butch!!!! Wonderful!!!!

fumeguy
fumeguy

I am up for a SWAP of a almost new bottle, might have used twice. Drop me a note if any one is interested

Mr.Bobby.N

Just to add to my previous review...

Man, this one brightens my day so much. Despite having a large fragrance collection, I find myself wearing ZINO a lot... It's just one of the nicest patchouli scents around.

OVERALL: 8.5/10

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

This review is for the 1986-1989 vintage Zino bottles which I luckily own:
Zino takes me back straight to the 80's glam metal and hard rock scene with that place of classy interior of red and gold color with chandeliers and red carpets. Zino gives me comfort, warmth, nostalgia and happiness. My all time favorite smelling liquid.

dromidreza
dromidreza

الان حدود 20-25 سالی میشه که بطور متناوب استفاده میکنم ولی با خودم عهد بستم دیگه نخرم.این زینو اون زینو قدیم نیست.با اصل و تقلبیش کاری ندارم.اصلش دیگه بوی سابق رو نمیده.

pdubrogers
pdubrogers

This one caught me off guard. What a great surprise as I have never had the pleasure. I can see it shooting to my top 5 easily. Balance is the key word here. The smell without great details, reminds me of the same family as Egoiste and Habit Rouge. However, this IMO smells more masculine. I'm way high on this old but new found scent. This is How I want to smell!

richtea
richtea

Sadly i just couldnt warm to this one
I have no doubt there is quality in this fragrance and it certainly has depth but maybe the mid notes where the floral Rose and Jasmine lie are overly cloying
I always felt when i wore this fragrance the smell gently deteriorated into a slightly off Musk earthy odour which ultimately gave me olfactory headache and stopped me enjoying it
It has many fans and perhaps certain folk with different olfactory perceptions and tastes to mine can appreciate the depth and blend of its many notes but i have tried repeatedly to like this and cannot
I would definitely not recommend this as a blind buy

mamali1976
mamali1976

If u have zino means that u are know the smells...

skipster
skipster

Finally got the chance to sample vintage Zino. It is definitely deeper and richer than the reformulation, and with a much creamier drydown. But not THAT much. Compared to music it would be like a CD vs a good MP3 version of the same beautiful song.

If you have the uncompressed original plus a good hi-fi system and a pair of good ears, you will notice the difference and enjoy the subtle details and magic of the real thing. If you don't have the original, you are still in for a wonderful experience and you won't feel that anything is missing.

Buy vintage without hesitation if you should be so lucky to find it (but prepare to spend a lot of time and money on the project). Otherwise enjoy the splendid and ridiculously inexpensive reformulation as I have done for years now.

Zino still rocks if you can - and dare - pull it off.

PS: Wife absolutely loves it. This is a sexy and sensuous scent for grown-ups.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Testing Zino Davidoff (which now I happily own among my scents) has been one of those moments that reminded me why I like perfumes and testing new things all the time, without prejudices. I did not know this fragrance to be honest, until I received a miniature. I quite enjoy Davidoff tobacco, but I did not really think Zino Davidoff (the scent) was worth any rush to test it... well however last night I applied some on my hand just for curiosity, and – wow! – the very first thing that came to my mind was: this smells *great*. It surprised me – like it happens to me really once in a while. To make things clear before talking about notes and comparisons, the most immediate, solid and sound quality of Zino Davidoff is that it smells terribly, irresistibly, undeniably good. Then, it's also a totally peculiar scent, it just imprints itself in your memory from the very fist sniff. The people which compare this to Dior Homme are right in my opinion: in fact, it somehow smells like an "uncle" of Dior Homme, a desaturated, more mature and somehow darker version of Dior's contemporary classic. Which in 1988 is quite avantgarde. Basically, Zino Davidoff is a rose-patchouli woody scent with an overall dusty sweetness, creamy notes of sandalwood and ylang, and "something" all around which smells halfway tobacco and soft modern leather (but it's neither of the two). Superb drydown, cozy and refined, worth the waiting and as much beautiful as the opening. Not a powerhouse despite the age, fairly different from more canonic fougères: actually it's quite more similar to early '90s brighter/sweeter masculine scents, but even more modern than those, and also "manlier" somehow. Warm, versatile, cozy and relaxed, masculine for sure but with a subtle feminine vein (like Ténéré by Rabanne, to which in fact, Zino Davidoff slightly resembles to some extents). Not intrusive or challenging, but as I said, it's quite unique, so better test it and familiarise with it before eventually purchasing it – not a predictable and safe crowdpleaser for sure. An underrated beauty!

namak
namak

Lovely smell. Sandalwood and Rose. This would be my favorite, right behind Egoiste. Projection and Longevity is the issue. I get 2-4 hours of each..at the most.I hear this has been reformulated.

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

A classy touch of virility never out of fashion. The classic Azzaro meet Dior Homme in a avant garde creation of 1988 ! A round sensual (not animal)peacefull perfume.

ezelhaj
ezelhaj

Only one word awesome

jimmyo1
jimmyo1

Weren't sure what to think at first but the more I test and try to reach out it becomes evident this is not a frag that is easily worn.
I find myself falling in love with this rich bombardment of fruit, florals, woods and gourmand flavour. Such an assortment is hard to define but appealing to the senses. But where do i wear it? This I will resolve as this is nothing short of love in a bottle and one I am determined to display.
Weird but wonderful.

dmd63
dmd63

up there with the classics. great scent, projection ang longevity. exales charm and good taste. a sure buy, even if it is a blind one (you shall not regret, really).

Dimitrios
Dimitrios

Another 80's masterpeice !! & sits in my all time top 20 , in my opinion the vintage rates a 9.5/10

Keremgok
Keremgok

Great one. Strongly suggest.

xerysus
xerysus

What a fantastic scent. I just recently got into fragrances and I have sampled close to 50 and bought 15. This is in my top 5. This is my wife's favourite on me. She snuggles up against me and pays me compliments every time I have this on.
Such a beautiful powerful scent.

با سلام و احترام
من لقب زن کش را برای ان عطر نهادم
بدون شرح دیگر و بس

pronose

a true masterpiece and no doubt simply the best scent by davidoff!!!! sexy and truly unique!

navid.tavallaieshirazi
navid.tavallaieshirazi

I bought it recently, really like it, because it has a special fragrance that seems to come from wood! I don know how to describe it but a kind of bitter fragrances thats loveable and attractive, i recommend you to use that in the rainy evenings, its better to use in Automn and winter. Longevity and sillage is great, Finally i give it the point of 9/10.

من این عطر رو به تازگی گرفتم، واقعا ازش خوشم میاد چون رایحه خاصی داره که بنظر میاد از چوب هست، نمیدونم چطور وصفش کنم اما نوعی از رایحه های تلخ که جذاب و دوس داشتنیه، من بهتون توصیه میکنم عصرهای بارونی استفادش کنید و بهتره تو فصل پاییز و زمستان استفاده شه، ماندگاری و قدرت پخش عالیه، در نهایت بهش امتیاز ۹/۱۰ رو میدم.

batty
batty

Yeah Hey all. This cologne is a masterpiece. I have the newer one if it matters, I sure cant tell. I dont like tobacco or pachoulli notes, Yet somehow I do with Zino. The longetivity is about 12 hours. The sillage is really strong. 5 of 5 stars!!

dubairob
dubairob

This is certainly a fragrance that took a little getting used to before I started to appreciate it. Having sampled it a few times, I had my doubts - especially as it reminded me of some times past when it was heavily sprayed in a room in my dim and distant past. (How many great fragrances have been destroyed in our minds through some random negative associations?) However, after taking some time with Zino it has become clear that there really is something to this fragrance.

As I have mentioned in my review of Chanel Egoiste, these two fragrances - closely connected in time - have some very definite similarities. Although Zino is categorized as an oriental woody fragrance and Egoiste is a woody spicy fragrance, there is a lot in common. Both have rose, Brazilian rosewood, sandalwood and vanilla as major notes. However, Egoiste's cinnamon and tobacco take it in a different direction - while Zino's heavy use patchouli and lavender suggests a more usual masculine vibe. Ultimately, neither could replace the other and each has its own beauty and value.

For me, the use of patchouli here reminds me a little also of Givenchy Gentleman, though I find GG's patchouli and honeyed-leather combination a little difficult to take. I have also come to realise that there is only so much patchouli I can handle without starting to associate the fragrance with potpourri, etc. Thankfully, there is enough going on otherwise with Zino to not feel like that.

In short, Zino Davidoff is a very good fragrance for Autumn and Winter evenings. It can be worn in a smart casual setting, but personally I would not wear it for work. Best worn lightly - it does project a deal - as such it comes across as very pleasant and is not dated significantly.

lemesos80
lemesos80

Excellent perfume! Old but still fresh and exciting! The dry down is amost identical to Burberry London!

Roman86
Roman86

At first I thought Zino was just an okay fragrance but the more I wore it and re-applied it, the more I saw its subtle and simple beauty. I think it's geared more towards middle aged men who want something that isn't too loud and that can remind them of their younger years. Giving this as a gift to a mature gentleman would be perfect because of its retro packaging, classy bottle and scent.

As for younger men, this is a tough one because it's really not like any of the popular fragrances out there today. This is one to wear on cold nights and only then do I think a younger person can pull this off if they're daring enough and don't live by the status quo. I'm in my 20s but I have no problem wearing this. I'm sure I'll get some strange looks but sometimes I wear fragrances for shock value rather than compliments and I love over-spraying. I'm strange like that.

By today's popular standards, this is a daring fragrance and I like that about Zino. On a final note, I can also see this fragrance shining with a little body heat added to the mix.

robespierre_1789
robespierre_1789

I love Zino from the bottom of my heart - it's a compliment getter, an absolute cheerful champion during fall and winter. It is an absolute masterpiece, sadly the only masterpiece released by Coty.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

A great classic fragrance to have in a collection. Warm, woody and mysterious. Perfect as a classy scent for going out, or formal settings. If you like strong scents from the 80-ies with personality and character, you will love Zino. If you'r the L'eau d'Issy, Acqua di Gio, One Million type of guy, you can stear away. Zino is very similar to Bois 1920 Extreeme, but why waste the money on the Bois when you can get the almost similar Zino for a much more reasonable price? Recommended!

scentgent
scentgent

In a word: woody.

This reminds me a lot of abercrombie and fitch's fierce, without citrus.

Amazing woody scent. Almost like a stroll on a riverbed in the Pacific Northwest. It's masculine, sophisticated, and pleasant. Just wore a sampler and have gotten compliments.

I have enough fragrances for several years. But I am definitely tempted to get this. It's that good IMO.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Great scent. Very dark and enchanting. I had some issues in the first 10 minutes since it smelled too 80s for me, but if you give it a proper wearing, you'll see this is very atemporal, patchouli plus sandalwood and a fair touch of rosewood. The drydown is exquisite. A brilliant flower appears here and there to make things even better. This made me think of a favourite of mine: L'air du desert marocain. They share that oomph factor in the first minutes to end up pretty soft and sensual after the first half hour. I think this works perfectly for any man after his 30s and it's a very cheap alternative to niche.
It is very easy to wear, lasts pretty long. I wouldn't use it in hot weather. It doesn't smell gourmand to me... it is the patchouli with its chocolatey vibe what might give that sensation, but I'd classify this as an oriental only.

anassego
anassego

Vampira would love me with it !

cytherian

I'd read about the reformulation so I tracked down a bottle of the original (with script lettering for "Davidoff"). Because of the prominent sandalwood content, I made it a blind buy and... I love it! I'm still curious to see what the new formulation is like, so I'm going to try testing it in a store to see for myself.
EDIT: I have tried the new formulation. It's still pretty much the same notes, but a bit weaker to my nose. Still a fine fragrance but if you've owned the original you'd probably prefer that instead of the current one.
_____________________________________________________

This is a very easy going fragrance. It is deceptively simple. There is a wonderful orchestration of notes to create this aroma. Btw, there is also an aftershave balm which is slightly different, not just a weakened version of the EdT. However, layering both of them works quite well.

If you want a sandalwood forward fragrance, this is a fine choice. It has a somewhat unusual start, as the lavender and patchouli come forward a bit much upon first spray--not what I was expecting. But as the fragrance dries down these notes recede and let vanilla, sandalwood, bergamot, and cedar take over while leaving some floral essence in the wings. The sandalwood and vanilla take top position for a couple of hours, then gradually fades off leaving a spicy vanilla floral aroma near the skin. Some have reported the patchouli as being strong, but compared to how I know patchouli, it has a subtle presence. Just try Villoresi Lorenzo Patchouli in comparison, a very dry and raw linear patchouli, and you'll see what I mean.

The only difficulty I've found is that the sillage is rather strong upfront, so you're compelled to be sparing, but then within an hour it falls back quite a bit to nearly a skin scent. So you may find it tricky to achieve the right balance of application. 9.1/10 for vintage, 8.3/10 for new formulation.

xerxes
xerxes

Does anybody suggest for some frag. like this but with more sillage and longevity?..Thanks All.

RobbieX

To add to below...A masterpiece. One of the nicest patchouli based fragrances in the world. Woody, floral, long lasting and really gorgeous.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Back in 1990 I got this cologne as a birthday gift from one of my friends. He said I would like it and he was right. I wore it for a few years after that and then stopped. I recently purchaced a bottle from Fragrance.net and brought me back to those days back in the 90's. This is defenitely a fall/winter cologne. I love the patchoul, sandalwood and the rose all together. The longetivity on me is 7 hours max and I like that. I could make this a cologne of the 2000's now since it still smells very masculine and sofisticated.

tolgacavdar
tolgacavdar

This review is for supposedly "reformulated" 125 mL bottle with block letters in front.

Zino is a really dark and sweet perfume. But the word "sweet" should not fool you, it is not a gourmand. Don't think it something like Rochas man or JPG Le Male.

This is definitely a scent of cold weather and it is also suitable for romantic meets. Longevity is quite good. I could still detect it after 7 hours, which is enough for me. Sillage is not enormous but this is also good for me because I work in an office and I don't want to be called as a "cologne guy".

Sillage: 6/10

90hou

Got another 125ml bottle, masterpiece!
Really unique. Warm, dark and sweet.
It's like stayin near the stove in a cold winter.

Pianopolice

Wearing this for a few weeks now. This mysterious scent shows how deep your soul is. If you don't like it....no comment. IF you do like it, you are not an average mediocre person, and you know it.

Wow.

Just sprayed this on my wrist, and it's one of the most unique 'classic/citrus' scents I've smelt... I'm impressed.

It's not the usual 'lemon' citrus blast of most men's fragrances, but a really unique woody/citrus smell. It really surprises you this one. Very manly, classic, bold... and lasts.

SILLAGE: great
LONGEVITY: great
SCENT: excellent
VALUE FOR MONEY: good

OVERALL: 8.5/10

Pianopolice

After a long time wanting to try this scent, finally now I own a 1 oz. bottle of Zino. The scent is too mysterious to be described. It is for sure not suitable for a very young guy. If you are in your 20s and you are mature, it suits you well though. I can pick some lemon scent, like dried lemon, lower than the lemon scent it's all woody, different layers, but very close together since they are very heavy. Overall the scent is very dark. For me, It's too soon to tell how much I like, love or hate this cologne. I need more time to judge, but I don't see any reason I would hate this one.

ChefnNose
ChefnNose

this fragrance became my first really signature fragrance as an adult. A master piece that lasts forever it seems, I love the fact that after a day of wearing and then taking a shower in the morning I can still smell it. I love the patchouli vanilla lavender combination and rosewood is one of my favorite ingredients. Its timeless I have the vintage with very little left I hope the reformulation is comparable. women always ask what Im wearing when I wear this It is strong when first applied but it blossoms in age with undeniable grace and sophistication that a leaves everyone asking what is he wearing.

isabelasohel
isabelasohel

One of the best I have ever had, I remember they stopped ZINOs production for some time. It was not available in the US market or may be I was just at the wrong shop at the wrong time.

vonMises
vonMises

A mild, smoldering oriental. Lasts for several hours. Very good, but I imagine a former version, pre-reformulation, may have been a little more powerful. Surprisingly weak sillage for me, but otherwise very nice.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I think one of my friend's dads wore this during my childhood, or something damn close. It's a fatherly scent: calm, reassuring and mature, and clearly masculine even though it's fairly sweet in its own unique way. The peachy-beige color and perfect smoothness of the cap, along with the rich sepia of the bottle, match the scent remarkably well. This may be the creamiest wood smell I've enountered, which I really identify with for whatever reason. It changes a lot; namely, the opening is quite dry and sharp in a desert sagebrush sort of way. I honestly don't like the first 10 minutes or so, but once that sharp topnote clears up, it gets right on track as a creamy wood with the moderate sweetness of something that remindes me of vanilla but probably isn't. At this point, Zino is almost exactly where I want to be, something that I would like to smell like, and I don't say that about as many colognes in my collection as I wish I could.

AbBlue
AbBlue

So sad it changed that much. From perfection to just good. We should have a different page for old and new version.
***
Es triste que cambiara tanto. Desde la perfección a sólo bueno. Deberíamos tener una página diferente para la vieja y nueva versión.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I came across Zino by Davidoff, I couldn't believe how lucky I was to find this frag. I couldn't wait so I sprayed it on my skin as soon as I bought it. The aroma of clary sage, bergamot and Brazilian Rosewood really grabs your attention. This frag is a real mature frag which projects well as a spicy/woodsy scent. The floral aroma of lavender, rose, geranium and jasmine is subtle enough to give this frag a well balanced aroma. Patchouli with Vanilla gives it a slightly sweet/warm tone.
The base notes of cedar and sandalwood makes this frag a real masculine, sophisticated scent. This frag is more than a CLASSIC and It should be REVERED. I believe that a lot of people will take this frag over most colognes that are in the market today. This cologne with the unique aroma is MAGNIFICENT....its a high quality men's frag which remains TIMELESS to this day.
Longevity is excellent..over 10 hours.
Sillage, projection is really good.

Overall opinion,
This frag is the ULTIMATE from Davidoff. A real dark and mystical frag which is a magnetic for most women because it comes off as being very manly. If you do have this frag you'll understand, those who don't have it are missing out on this high quality frag.
In my books this is a 10/10 HANDS DOWN....you can't go wrong.
One word describes this cologne.... "PERFERCTION".

Marciu
Marciu

I really liked Zino from the start, when I first tested it, I found it being very interesting, kinda' oldschool, but in a good way.

When I apply this perfume on my skin, I feel like I'm sorrounded by lots of flowers... Rotten flowers. Like I'm in a meadow of rotten flowers. Interesting! That's mainly what I feel. Soon a mix of patchouli and vanilla comes in and that makes Zino even more interesting, hypnotyzing even. And that's how a drydown of this smells on my skin. Unique, without a doubt. It lasts about 9 hours on me, sillage is over average.

Unfortunately, I heard that Zino was reformulated... I described the version that I tested many times last year and at the beggining of 2013. But I heard that now it's worse than before. Is it true?

Aaredhel
Aaredhel

I could hardly resist to a man wearing this perfume...

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Very puzzling, this one. I think I may have encountered a reformulation issue.

First encounter: A gal sprayed some of this on my wrist tonight... it smelled darn familiar but I couldn't immediately place it. Then I got it: Guerlain Heritage. It smells like Guerlain Heritage. But I like Heritage better.

Second encounter: This is something a fellow fragrantican called "original" Zeno - it smells nothing like the other stuff I tried. Nothing like Heritage, in other words. This is very strongly a rose scent to my nose. It's quite nice - a msaculine floral - but wholly unlike the other Zino I tried.

I don't think I'd buy a bottle of this one unless I was absolutely sure of what it was I was getting!

murysusanto
murysusanto

Quite similar to Versace Versus Uomo, the notes are very familiar, except Versus is sweeter in that sense, and Zino is bitter but both are very good. They are signature fragrances for each brands, which is why people loves this type of scent.
Despite the new brands into the market and hundreds of new items, this still one hot product that would not go outdated

Well crafted, Mr Davidoff!

kronik
kronik

it was a blind buy, it took me by a surprise, it smelled exactly like how a passing uncle of mine who passed six years ago. it smelled like a family member i miss dearly.
besides that it smells too smokey and manly to my taste, so i never use it alone and i try to mix it with other colognes i have.

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

A blind buy that I really like. It's a classic that doesn't smell dated. I get 5 hours with medium sillage. I detect all the notes listed, except for vanilla.

rockets
rockets

Zino is great, a scent that can embrace a period of time so indefinible is timeless.
The notes and engaging decided not to go undetected, it is fresh and woody resinous there is something in the bottom and almost mystical, is not for everyone, but it deserves a mark of confidence and how.
The fund is something overwhelming, is how to retrieve a treasure from the bottom of the pit and give it light, the glow will be his wake ... infinite
regal.
Perfume Museum
Zino Davidoff contemporary art ...
for future

sussex2
sussex2

Initially quite spicy with Patchouli, lavender, rose and woods. At this stage it exhibits something like a muted, caffeine-free version of the effect created by A*Men.

The gentle discord is quickly smoothed out as the vanilla and sandalwood come into play. None of the coffee and caramel gourmand effect or the brightness of A*Men. Instead Zino feels slightly bloated and undefined but very comforting. Something like an old, fuzzy teddy bear.
--------
Having applied the scent yesterday then slept and showered it still remains noticeable.

Although Zino appears a little gauche I have had to upgrade it from my “like” to my “love” camp. I will always have a place for this brown and beige, slightly eccentric but friendly character in my fragrance population.

TheLumineri

I now currently have both the Vintage and Current versions...There isn't a HUGE gap of difference. The vintage is a tad bit smoother, but ultimately it's the same Zino in both bottles - and both smell BEAUTIFUL! I love this stuff! :)

missan
missan

I have the vintage Zino, have not tested the one with block letters.

The vintage is a masterpiece, a one of a kind. Test it and you will understand.

There doesn´t seem to be so many vintage left, so test it while you can.

I´m not normally fond of Almairac´s work but here he´s done everything right IMO.

Rerik
Rerik

The original scent from the 90´s smells fantastic. It´s not another "mature man" fragrance like the most fragrances from the 90´s.

sswoverl
sswoverl

Only cologne I wore for seven years. I own both bottles referred to in other posts. After performing a two-week, side-by-side comparison, I found a difference of about two percent. The block letter spray is a hair less smooth, but has better longevity on my skin. Beautiful fragrance that always draws compliments.

12/3/2014: I conducted a second comparison. Differences now seem abundantly apparent. The block letter spray (that's currently on the market) seems to have a much stronger dose of lavender, while sandalwood stands out more in the other. One way I experience the difference is that the block print feels flat, hollow, cool, and pointy; the original feels warm, round, moist, and soft. Not much difference on the dry-down though, and I do see similarity between Zino and Mesmerize at this stage, as another reviewer suggested. I prefer the original.

pronose

a true masterpiece! timeless and unique! Zino forever!

gr8daddyg
gr8daddyg

A very rich and complex smelling cologne. It does go on a bit strong (it's the patchouli) but it mellows out into a very pleasing, yet robust scent. A romantic evening scent for sure. Not sure it's best for around the office or anything as you will be noticed wearing this scent - and not in a bad way.

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Incredible panty_dropper!!! Beside that,it's am amazing scent,lacks projection. The only contra. Go for it!!

merezvan
merezvan

خیلی حالم و گرفت چون جدیدا یکیشو خریدم که سومین بارم بود اما اصلا دوام نداره اصل بودنش دوستان اصله چون تقلبیش افتضاح بوی کندی میده اما همین دفه که من خریدم اون بوی تلخی خواص خودشو نداشت اما هنوز دوسش دارم ضمنا یه راه کار بتون میگم تست کنین واسه دوام.
قبل از اینکه ادکلن را رو خودتون خالی کنین مقداری محلی که ادکلن میزنین و با مقدار کمی ویتامین ad چرب کنین
خلی کم نه چرب چربا
اینجوری یکم دوامش زیاد میشه
ضمنا قیمتش الان 98 یا دیگه 100 شده اخر بارکدش هم حتما چک کنید که 0534 باشه جز این نخرین.

dagulicious
dagulicious

Got this few weeks ago. I am a little disapointed. Why? First of all, the word ZINO on the bottle is written in block letters, exacly like I wrote it. Probably is the reformulated version.
The smell is very nice, dark, bitter, very strong (at the begining) and kinda sweet. So, again, I like the smell very much. If this smells like that, I'm sure that the original one was great.
The big problem that I have is the projection and longevity. I get about 3-4 hours on this and very poor projection. I'm sure it's not a fake bottle, because it has the same code on the bottom and on the box, etc.
I wish I could find the original version, because I'm convinced that smells wonderfull! :(

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Reminds me Style by M.M a lot, but for a fraction of the price. Bitter, dark, long lasting and unisex.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Beautiful lavender in the opening, with a drydown that only gets better, goes one step woody patchouli, just right, I loved it!
Along feel a vibe of roasted coffee but very light, and a warm, subtly creamy, I think it's a combination of sandalwood with rosewood, light floral nuances and a touch sweet in the end, must be vanilla.
A timeless classic intriguing, the best of Davidoff.

skendus1
skendus1

I just received my Zino Davidoff for men in the mail. I must say I'm greatly disappointed. This must be the newer Zino Davidoff with the "Block" letters on the bottle.

What I get out of the smell was a synthetic, soapy, tobacco (cheap cigar) musky floral scent. I kept hoping the dry-down would change into something better but no. Same effect. It almost reminds me of CUBA Red but worse.

I decided to let my Girlfriend smell it on me and to keep an open mind. She told me I smelled like an old man and hated it.

I'm a big fan of Gourmand Colognes, ie: Rochas Man and Jean Paul Gautier Le Male. I thought this would be along the same lines but absolutely not!

I'm sure the original Zino Davidoff smells much better, from the reviews I've read on here but the newer one is a waste of money. If you do decide to purchase Zino, make sure the writing on the bottle is all script and not block letters.

soulflwr
soulflwr

Ok, my father had a friend who whenever he was around I could always tell because he left a trail of scent wherever he went, I always thought he just smoked a lot cigars. It was a really nice smell, but I would have never imagined it was a cologne he was actually putting on that made him smell like that!

Anyway, fast forward several years. I recently received a sample of this in a free mix of female fragrance samples (oops!) and when I first put this on I thought....well obviously this isn't a woman's perfume, but it still makes me want to strip down naked, tie my hair up, and walk around in pair of stilettos. Not for anyone else, but just for myself, because all of a sudden I just felt too damn sexy, and nobody could tell me a thang! I just wanted to walk around in my underwear all nonchalantly, and if one of my neighbors just accidentally happened to see through my carelessly closed curtains..."You're Welcome."

So anyway, after all that HEAT, we got down to it's base and then it started to get weird because all I could smell was my father's friend. Like his ghost was in the room or something, I didn't like that.

I mean it's such an awesome fragrance, but it smells like someone I already know so...*womp*womp*. Got me feeling all weird about stealing someone else's signature.

Thiago Mendes

Tem um aroma marcante, chique. Ideal para a noite. No clima frio é perfeito.
É um perfume que faz sucesso, bem marcante.
Escuro, misterioso e sensual.
Obra prima

Aroma: 10/10
Fixacao: 8,5/10
Projecao: 10/10

TheLumineri

<<< Yes....What Kaze said!

Kaze
Kaze

''You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough.''

An Aggressive-Passionate fragrance.

I have tested both the vintage and ''reformulated'' versions which to be honest, there's not much of a difference. If anything, it's just the same juice in a different lettering of the box that it comes in.

I've heard and read people deliberate that the juices are different but to me they're not. The vintage version which I've tested and then the so called ''reformulated'' version smell exactly the same. Same silage, same longevity = same juice. Just a different font on the box.

But let's say that there is a difference and some of us like myself refuse to believe that there's been a change? Could it be that our love for Zino by Davidoff is so very strong? Well, hearts will be broken. But not to fear. Love is simply a test of strength. And at times, even unconditional.

Zino is very dark, masculine and mysterious. It's floral but a very dark and dried floral with a wet tobacco feel. It kind of reminds me of Burberry London but not so much. Zino has more of a strength and louder character. It evokes strength, masculinity, passion, darkness, sensuality and romance where as London to me comes off as a very simple warm and ''holiday'' scent. Zino isn't simple. Zino's versatile, unique and complex. Compared to London, Zino's Hercules. But I will admit, I do enjoy London as well.

It hints a bit of vanilla and lavender both on the top and base. Merely being floral but to me the most attractive note has to be the patchouli which is pretty evident on the dry down as well as the sandalwood. It's definitely an oriental woody fragrance and the silage is perfect. The longevity, I get 8+hours

It comes off as a romantic fragrance but I can also see this being used as a signature. I've read somewhere that both Johnny Depp and Peter Steele are/were fans of this. I can see and understand as to how and why.

Zino by Davidoff is warm, inviting, spicy, fresh and enticing! It's definitely appropriate for the Fall and Winter time.

tomerits

Roqfort review is perfect , i feel the same as he feel.i also have tow bottles (original and reformulation) and they smell exactly the same with the same longevity & projection.

well written roqfort.

The original bottle is great, one of my favorites, but I would never wear the new one (with Davidoff in block letters on the front of the bottle). Here's the story: I had the new one first and swapped it off, though I kept a small decant. Then I had an opportunity to get a bottle for very little so I thought I'd buy it for swapping purposes. The bottled leaked a bit in the box, and when I smelled it I thought to myself that a great sandalwoody incense note was present, which I didn't remember with the first bottle I had. I did a side by side comparison and sure enough it wasn't there in the block letter decant.

The importance of this note is huge to me, but clearly not to everyone. For me, it "cuts" the lavender, amber, etc. and provides incredible dynamism, contrast, and balance. The block letter version smells like an amateur effort to me, with some sort of fuzzy, generic woody note that enhances the cloying qualities of the lavender, amber, etc. The original is also drier and has better note separation. If you are in this for the aficionado aspect but are a newbie, I strongly advise that you find the original, which is still selling at reasonable prices on ebay (just be sure to determine that it is the one without Davidoff in block letters, because they sometimes picture the original bottle but sell you the new one).

NOTE: The two formulations of Zino should be a warning. When you read a review you really can't be sure if you are smelling what the reviewer was. Even in this case, some new Zino may have been put in old bottles that they had to use up, or vice versa (for all I know). In the case of the new version, I'd say it isn't that far from Mesmerize for Men by Avon (though I like Mesmerize better), whereas I would never think of comparing the original Zino to Mesmerize.

Roqfort

Real masterpiece. One of the oldest scents in my collection, but still in my Top Evening Scents. I've got two bottles. The old one (bought in early 90') and the new one with the block letters, and I didn't find ANY differences. Both smells exactly the same. Same longevity and projection as well. Don't listen to those boring tales of reformulation. Zino is still a great scent. Go to the store and buy it, because it will soon disappear.
But remember. Zino is for men. Not for kids...

Marcel

When I first smelled this in the late eighties, I thought this was the noblest scent ever.

For me, the original Zino is still a masterpiece, and I would love so much to have a vintage bottle to smell it and be transported to that magical moment when I first smelled it.

Last year I bought the new version, with block letters. I was disapointed. I'm not saying it's a bad scent, but people who only know this new version cannot judge the original Zino by what they smell on the new one.

All the ingredients seem to be there, but somehow the effect is not the same. Sometimes, when a smell the new one, I get a fugitive glimpse of what the original was. But most of the time, the new scent is too dry, too much tobacco. The original was creamier, chocolatier, more gourmand, more easy on the nose too. The new one gives me a headache if I spray too much.

Still, it's an excellent scent, very masculine, very strong, very warm. But it's no longer one of the very best ever.

chokovany
chokovany

Very long lasting & beautiful scent, like a burning insence .
I really love this perfume...

Blutengel
Blutengel

Masculinity and sexyness in a bottle.

'Nuff said...

spartan
spartan

Great scent, most of the positive reviews are correct here. This completely ripped off Trueffit & Hill Spanish Leather which came out in 1830, and is still manufactured today. Zino was launched in 1988 as it's founders signature scent, and is now discontinued. NO big deal however because if you want the real thing buy yourself A bottle of Spanish Leather.

Deekah
Deekah

Very well made scent, Armani Attitude is a rip-off Zino

GreenMan
GreenMan

Got a 125 ml bottle of this yesterday. Very nice! I was pleasantly surprised. Reminds me a little of Azzaro Acteur, another old school, rosy, woody and manly fragrance.

Superb projection and longevity. Applied a very small spray on my arm at around 6.30 p.m and 11 a.m the next day it still projected.
In comparison, Oscar pour Lui was very faint (I applied both at the same time).
So, it´s some powerful stuff!

vmzaneti

The closest thing to Zino Davidoff is Ungaro III?

My nose is not really functioning well then, or else I've purchased a false/stale bottle.

fkollmeier
fkollmeier

masculinity and gentlemanity in a bottle. what a lovely scent! it is strong on the patchouly and the rosewood. it strangely reminds me of the sweetness of pipe tobacco. the notes of carnation make it a timeless, balmy and maybe a slightly dusty classic.

more suitable for a civilised evening out

KJS88
KJS88

Nothing like it out there, and the closest thing might be Ungaro III, but still, nothing really like it.

Rich, deep, dark, rich... So classic in that it does not have that 70s or 80s pong.

I always get many compliments from both men and women when I wear this.

Imagine a rich backdrop, a brocade of jasmine, rose, ylang ylang, carnation, patchouli, santal, tonka, vanilla, amber, musk, muguet, geranium, sage, civet, overlaid with a fine gauze of sharp, crisp citrus, lavander, rosewood, verbena.

Hard to describe on the best of days. Just beautiful.

Potent, lasting, yet elegant. A man in his 30s in a finely tailored pinstripe suit, fedora, smoking a Davidoff Gold cigarette. Maybe a criminal prosecutor. Offset by rock and heavy metal tatoos up his left arm, and a tatoo on his right naming family members. There's an image hard to forget quickly. That's the sort of image vintage, not the new block print box, but vintage Zino gives me.

Zenith
Zenith

A very divisive scent reading some of the other reviews. I personally like it, although the opening comes on a little bit too strong, but fortunately does not take long to settle down. A very dark floral scent follows, smelling to me like dried flowers.

Exceptionally classy, but make sure you try before you buy if possible: you will most likely love it or hate it

sweetsmellinged
sweetsmellinged

Wow Bigsly and others were right ! I have been a big Zino guy from day 1. I started using Zino again after lost absent's ( could not find it ) and their was something different about it. It did not project as well. and the sillage was so weak.I had a empty bottle from 91, and the lettering is different ! My old bottle has Zino Davidoff in cursive. A'int that a kick in the head. Why would you reformulate a masterpiece ? At least it was in 88. ANYBODY ?

shoden
shoden

The killer. Old school, but not vintage. Very masculine, manly but ultra sensual. Long lasting with few projections.
Amongst the average crowd, this is nearly an unique fragrance, since it's now really rare in Europe, so it's an adventure to get one of those, and if you get one, your reward is to wear some of the most incomparable signature fragrance ever.

@misterjohn

Exactly the same feeling here, fella. Weak projection and below mediocre lasting power, and on my skin what I get is mostly patchouli (it's the most noticeable note), lavender in the opening, and some messy florals and herbs for a while. But all the notes are very faint, even the patchouli. In 2 or 3 hours, the fragrance is gone, and while it lasts the sillage is poor.

Quite sure it's a reformulation, because it's just totally different from the reviews I've read about this one.

misterjohn
misterjohn

I blind bought this based on the Fragantica reviews and the amazing price I got--$13 for 1 oz. I don't get the hype. The scent hardly projects and doesn't last at all. When it does have some scent, it's pretty blah, just a pale sandalwood with some nondescript floral elements. Even though it only cost $13, I'd rather have the money than the scent--at any price, it is no bargain. Avoid at all costs.

enriquesolisjimenez

at most i wear it, at most i love it, the best fragrance i ve had

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

Zino is a classic. I don't smell many things being made like this anymore. I love the woody balsamic spiciness of this, and it seems to be very long lasting on the people I know that wear it. This is a really a gem of a scent with a terrific price point besides!

vmzaneti

I had high expectations about this one as it is raved here and on basenotes.net. Frankly I'm very disappointed. The scent isn't THAT bad, actually it does start off very promising, with noticiable notes of lavender, very proeminent florals and herbal notes, powdery vanilla and some dirtyness provenient from the patchouli, there are woods too. It's strange because it seems that it has everything mixed up, almost like there is too much of everything, what causes an impression of the composition being off-balanced, but it is still pleasant. I don't know... it's just strange and odd. I can't detect the rose dominating the scent and I was expecting it to play the main role here, as I've read in many reviews.
As time goes by, and I mean... after 1 or 2 hours, all those notes disappear altogether, and only vanilla and patchouli are left, but very faintly. This stage of Zino reminded me a bit of Animale Animale, but not as good and fainter.
Zino lasts just about 3 to 4 hours in my skin and the projection is good only during the first hour.
I've wanted to know what Zino was like for a long time, and I am sadly disappointed now that I do know. Apparently it was indeed reformulated for the worse.

nando80
nando80

I actually bought this cologne following most of the reviews on here and I am very disappointed.. I don't know if the bottle I got is the reformulated scent that Davidoff made it into now a days, but this fragance was not appealing to me at all.. What I got from this scent was a very strong and at times repugnant herbal smell along with hints of wood. The problem is the wood scent smells like it has been processed with a plastic like substance.. I actually returned this to the seller and will exchange it for something else.. Thinking maybe JOOP Night Flight. Certainly didn't get no chocolate,vanilla or wood scents from this fragance at all!!

seensoon

Bapi: I guess you don't need to swear in order to enforce your will over the general public. Let the domain work as its supposed to be. Everyone is entitled to his/her own views and liking or disliking.

Bapi
Bapi

Ever since I started to get into FRAGRANCE things I always pondered on few points and ended up asking me the following question:

1. Can an entirely floral scent be for a MAN?
2. Can a scent be liked by a MAN if it were kind of floral?
3. Can a MAN incline himself to a fragrance if it had floral note at the opening or middle or base?
4. Can a MAN really like a scent if it were floral minimally?

I wasn't ready to judge only getting the answers from myself; fragrantica equivalent of George Bush, which I didn't want to be. So, when I met people with experience, experienced variants of flowery notes in both women's and men's scent and tested quite a good number of them I ended up deducting following FACTS:

1. Flowers ain't property of women and women only.
2. There are floral notes in men fragrances, and in considerable numbers.
3. MEN don't necessarily dislike floral notes outright even when being pointed out that they smell KINDA floral.
4. There are floral notes in every stages of few fragrances, albeit for women, and notably not a single for men.
5. GOD, floral nuance can be masculine.
6. Floral note are masculine only when (may not be only, rather mostly) they're at the heart of it.

I tell you, if you didn't like floral note in a fragrance then I'd URGE you to go for a trial. And, I'd do that only to tell you to try this. It disgusts me to see people are being utterly rubbish in their comments while describing it as bad. I not only disagree with them but also question their noses' expiry date. A fragrance NO WAY can be "heavenly" and "bad" at the same time. If more than 50% of a forum calls a scent very good, 20% call it good, 10% fairly good then I consider him to be a stinker who says that fragrance to be "bad".

let me give you a crux of my "heavenly" experience with this. It may not be expensive, the flacon may not be exclusive, the package's colour might deter you but this scent is just an exclusive scent and you don't find anything else like this. The opening is a little stronger than you might expect which nonetheless is short lived. The opening is a perfect mingling of lavender and rosewood which smells sweet and sticks around you close by. The opening passes through a super smooth transition en route to the heart which is the defining factor of this MASTERPIECE, dare I say that. The exquisite floral heart will tease your brain, "tell me which one I am". The heart's velvety core is soft because of the jasmine, it's the heart within a heart. The soft core is surrounded by lily-of-the-valley's smugness, an oriental rose's hide-and-seek kinda playfull mood and the Geraniums strength. The geranium here provides the masculinity even without being distinct. The 4 elements in the heart is perfectly blended and all of them compliment every other. The base here takes a while to arrive and sneaks in the house without knocking the door, you don't know when it's home. The heart's masculinity is maintained by cedar and sandalwood albeit taking the baton from the heart, but unlike a relay race the heart keeps running with the cedar and sandalwood instead of stopping. The vanilla smoothes out the edges of patchouly. From somewhere tobacco keeps telling you did smell me but never saw me.

My score:
1. Sillage: 8.5
2. Longevity: 9
3. Uniqueness:9
4. Smell: 9.5

It's just like a manly man with classy appearance, soberly dressed with reserved attitude albeit with a kind heart, that's what is Zino Davidoff.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

Great classic smelling fragrance. Too bad the longevity isn't great. A woman I work with just told me that she feels like she's cheating on her husband by smelling me, haha. Best description from me is a very warm, soothing, spicy yet smooth fragrance. It's a very casual scent that I will probably make my signature.

thor
thor

"ZINO" . . . Well, imho Zino Davidoff definitely is one of the best male fragrances ever created. Absolutely gorgeous! Opens a little strong but not the least bit cloying. Its flowery and mildly sweet, yet so so masculine. I've just never smelt anything like it. Such a wonderfully crafted creation it is.

A faint hint of tobacco in a creamy wonderland of vanilla, rose and smoky woods. That's my olfactory experience of Zino Davidoff. I'm still in awe as to how Davidoff was able to create such a masculine fragrance inspite of an overwhelming presence of the rose and vanilla accords in it. Just ridiculously awesome!

Adding to zino's already magnificent smell is its excellent longevity and sillage. It projects really really well (one can easily get 6-7 hrs of longevity with great projection throughout). What more could one ask for !! But just go easy on the trigger. 3 sprays - definitely more than enough (maybe 4 for those who really crave the attention; but please don't exceed 4)

Let me also say that I am in complete agreement with those who say that Zino Davidoff is perhaps the best fragrance ever created by the house of Davidoff. Too bad its been discontinued (its such a shame, really). I'm definitely gonna have to keep a stockpile of Zinos. Its one of my all-time favorites!

Longevity:9/10
Sillage: 9/10

Edit:
Oh! Its such a crime that i forgot to mention this earlier - "Zino is a Lady-Killer!!". Now, we've all seen those insane 'axe' commercials where gorgeous women from all spheres(and even angels . . lol) go crazy for this one guy and we go 'yeahh right!'(for the most obvious reasons); well people, i'm gonna let you in on a secret - the guy was actually wearing Zino Davidoff. And with Zino, that shit can really happen! . . . Ha!Ha! . . . Maybe i'm getting a little too carried away by the awesomeness of Zino. Its just that good!

seensoon

After a search, I found it.
Glad that I did. Really liked the way it smells. But the problem is, it doesn't stay. I don't get it why. Everyone gave the verdict for this fragrance with a longevity of plus 6 hours but for me its only an hour... After which I don't detect anything.

enriquesolisjimenez

My daughter 16 years old asked what I was wearing, she was so glad about how Zino smells, "you should wear this frag more often" she said, I have no words to describe Zino Davidoff, It´s out of this world

m_e110

بابا این عطر بچه بازی نیست من روی ی اسکناس که باقی خریدم از ی دکه روزنامه فروشی بود گرفتم تا 3 سال بدون اینه بدونم اسمش چیه این ور اون ور میرفتم تا پیداش کنم واقعا رو دست نداره

mynemossyne
mynemossyne

Is really Zino is discontinued? Why can't we find Davidoff's perfumes. We want your fragrances, because they are very very good and different..

seensoon

Can anyone confirm whether it has been discontinued?
I never actually had a glimpse of it ever but I would search of it provided the glittering comments from users.

provocateurmilano
provocateurmilano

Bought it 2 weaks ago...It was blind-buy (I made decision based on your comments)...and.....what a pleasant surprise!!!
Of course, when you survive opening - it becomes seductive, sexy , dark, sweet and unique smell!
My top 5 for sure!

Longevity 9/10
sillage 8/10
scent 10/10

ericrico
ericrico

Deep, dark, rich and the cordovan-hued bottle is perfect for what this great fragrance offers...

First, a review for the latest packaging/reformulation (it has the new DAVIDOFF logo on the box & bottle which is in BLOCK letters versus the original's "script" logo): Johnny Depp's signature fragrance has, sadly, been discontinued. Zino was very good - while it lasted. I found this to be a shadow what it used to be...like a lot of reformulations, good top notes with the "dirty" rose and floral notes blended with patchouli, wood, green herbs and dark earthy undertones. But, it opens bright, sharp (slightly medicinal) and with a bit of sting...different from the original. However, this does tone down. It has some qualities similar, but what it offers is additional top (and heart) notes in a layered wearing, for me. Longevity is about 3-4 hours...mostly a skin scent after 2+ hours. Still smells "like" Zino, but lacks the strength in the drydown. 6/10 due to lack of power - reapplied twice to make it last 6-8 hours during a day. 7/10 for scent alone; 5/10 for longevity & sillage. 6/10 overall. I wish they just discontinued Zino Davidoff instead a "farewell release" that has flooded the market. I cannot wear this by itself and truly enjoy it. It is missing what vintage has - body, depth and richer ingredients. Bigsly's review is accurate, but I feel this can be incoporated into a full wearing of Zino and increase the top & heart notes plus conserve the precious Vintage juice.

Review of Vintage/Original "Script" Logo bottle:

***UPDATE*** Full and "complete" wearing today of Zino Davidoff. After acquiring some true Vintage juice with the script logo bottle, I am in awe with this wonderful creation. Older formulation is simply stunning! Yes, there IS a difference. It is (mainly) in the way the incense accord forms in the Vintage/Script logo formulation.

However, immediate and noticeable difference even from the top...the richness, power and depth are impressive! The definitive "dirty rose" note is still very distinctly there, but covered in more earth (even dirtier). A huge blast of patchouli, warm vanilla, great wood (more prominent, rich sandalwood and dusty rosewood) along with a great cedar note strengthens the deep, dark and dank base of "stewed" florals. Lavender is sharp here, but more integrated and the herbs are edgier - rosemary comes out. Clary Sage is so vivid here as well. This is a magical forest after a fresh rain with a blooming rose gleaning through the canopy! Great review to Thor recently! I too, get a "smoky" note out of the Vintage juice that is not existent in the current reformulation, but not invasive or overpowering - I believe it comes from the vanilla (I have smelled a similar note from high-quality vanilla incense burning...you smell the true scent, but as a plume passing by - gorgeous). This is downright mysterious and I cannot put enough superlatives together. No other fragrance smells like this and I have other rose scents that I could start adding things to, but the blended composition is so intricately and beautifully woven - one must just stand back and purely admire. Seductive in its blend of masculinity and sheer confidence. Wow! Vintage formulation - 9+/10!

An idea to layer came to mind - I sprayed a couple shots of each on my neck and chest...what I am getting from there is the best of both, radiating! I am in a cloud of Zino Davidoff right now while typing - this is so heavenly right now...

Zino Davidoff, with the Script Logo bottle in Original formulation, is simply divine. A classic, sensual and mysterious scent that has wonderful complexity and allure. Gorgeous!

oxm
oxm

Zino Davidoff, dark as the darkest night, thick as squid ink, mysterious and arcane, magical and evocative, it is hard and rough opening with bergamot and herbs, slowly takes over a sort of enchanted garden full of flowers and fleshy fragrant and spicy woody (almost sugary) closes in apotheosis this fragrance elegant and sophisticated, the classic can not help but Zino ...
Liquid obsidian, a signature fragrance and a beautiful memorable, with her cold winters will be less because of the heat that emanates ...

lakkiirfan
lakkiirfan

Jhony Depps favourites , so how can be bad

MrJones
MrJones

This stuff is AMAZING. Im 25 and this is probably my most complimented fragrance to date. It kicks off with very sharp, almost harsh top notes, but dries down quickly into a deep, dark rose and wood scent. I did pick up on the similarities to Armani Attitude, but having owned both, Attitude is NOTHING in comparison to this (I find Atittude to be very weak and synthetic on my skin). I wouldn't say it has a particular season it can be worn in either. It is probably better suited to the colder weather but at the same time I see no reason you couldn't wear this on a summers night if applied lightly.
Take no notice of the year it was made as well. This frag was obviously ahead of its time; the top notes ARE to my nose, FAINTLY reminiscent of an 80s power frag, but its only fleeting and nowhere near as strong or overpowering!

It's a wonderful fragrance that can be worn by any age at any time.

I love this one !!!!

If you LOVE Angel by Mugler, but do not love the price tag, buy this! My husband wore it the other day and I said: Aha you are wearing Angel!!
He said: NO!
Then what, I asked..
ZINO!!!!

enriquesolisjimenez

WOW no words, I got it yesterday and I just can say that Zino is out of this world.

RobbieX

This is a fabulous fragrance. It's gorgeous and THE best Davidoff scent. A potent patchoulli, tobacco, leather, herbal, floral and rich fragrance. Longevity and sillage are excellent. The drydown smells a bit like the excellent Boss Sport (now discontinued). But really I've smelled nothing like this, Zino has it's own character - its great. 9.5/10 for me.

joelynnturner
joelynnturner

One of my favorite! Definitly the best from Davidoff . Sort of think I am a little young for this scent. Bought it together with Fahrenheit as a fragrance pair for the winter, but definitely prefer this one!

tomerits

totally love it.One of My fall/winter signature fragrance,timeless, unique scent that will always be in my wardrobe.
my rank 5/5.

DaZeD
DaZeD

This is definatly a very unique scent, hard to pin down, nothing smells like Zino and therefore not everyone will like this scent, some actually hate it, but i sure don't hate it, i love it.

I do recommend people to try this before buying it, you need a certain personality to enjoy wearing this and shouldn't be afraid of negative reactions cause the positive ones overweigh them by far.

MrMookie
MrMookie

I had this scent a few months ago.love it. not for the boys!
Its a deep mature scent I see men smoking big cigars in a room with cabinets and chesterfield couches drinking cognac and talking about history (dead mens society)
... its cheap here where i live its sold for 25 eur for 125 ml.
I guess its the last stash before it steps aside for its younger mainstream ones...too bad, gona buy some bottles for the next generation it needs heritage.
tnx zino.

UPDATE : i just bought a new 125 ml for a bargain, this one is a good present for my father in law, who is 78 yrs old but can really wear it with class.

peyman.datoubar
peyman.datoubar

It was my favorite perfume before I bought armani prive bois dencens - my signature and favorite perfume now - but I ocasionally wear it since 11 years ago up to now beside the other perfumes. it is a clasic , manly and elegent.

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mature, complex scent which is affordable and it's initial spray stands out as incredibly male..

0-3 mins - Complex man scent, perfumed male alcohol, mid-mature, myriad of smells which works, sexy to a man, dirty, sleezy, a time that has passed but has never been forgotten..

3 mins- 3 hours - As above, projects very well, I sprayed upstairs and downstairs very quickly knew about it! Very Masuline, more mature now, it reminds me that I am nearly 40, and experience should be hoarded, reflected upon and treasured..

3- 4 hours - Carbon copy of Ralph Lauren Green Polo. Damp Fag Ash. Oh dear.

4 - 9 hours. Recovers from above and has a mixture of ash and original pefume. Ages 45+

So affordable for a huge bottle. Not for " sterotypical" youth, but mid-mature and mature will appreciate this. This was a blind buy which I could not live with as it was too matue for me. so I gave it my father in law.

jtd
jtd

Review Zino

With Zino, I felt for the longest time that I was missing something. I don’t find it interesting or appealing. To me it’s a bit of a stew. The balance is off. In particular there are too many other broad, rich notes (rosewood, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, vanilla) that are somehow reduced to a flat sweetness. The Guerlain-style trick of salting a vanillic amber with herbs really fails here. (Funny, then that Zino is often compared to Heritage, one of few Guerlain amber-oriental that doesn’t use the Guerlinade trick.) Whether it’s the sweet but flat backdrop, or simply the wrong rose I find the combination just uncomfortable. Perhaps this type of aromatic woody rose masculine just isn’t my bag. Zino reminds me a good bit of Ungaro III, another fragrance whose critical success evades me.

Actually both Zino and Ungaro III bring home an important point for me. I may not like them myself, and what I buy and wear will be guided by my own pleasure. But critical discussion of perfume will involve our preferences as well as objectivity, analysis and imagination.

Luforge
Luforge

Warm vibrant and sexy and a bit slutty!.Women often compliment and ask me what is it..? Very original scent,that leeves a trail of patchouli and cedar wood as it drydown.Superb longevity and sillage if you have dark skin..Can see why Depp wears this...

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Right from the start, it's smooth, smoky wood, masculine elegance.
Perfect office scent for the 40+ gentleman.

samihardanian
samihardanian

I love this fragrance, it's very masculine and clean. It's great for office wear and women & my dear wife often comment that they love it on me.

با مهرداد عزیز کاملا موافقم
یک کار بسیار مردانه و کلاسیک
با دوام و پخش خوب
تاثیر گذار و جذاب
واقعا عالی و بی نظیر
از رایحه اش هرگز خسته نشده و دوست دارم همیشه در مشامم باشد جزو کارهایست که همیشه آنرا دوست خواهم داشت.
به نظرم این سه گانه دیویدوف یعنی کول واتر و ریلکس و زینو جزو شاهکارها و ماندگارترین عطرهای دنیا باقی خواهند ماند

beatrix75
beatrix75

i bouth for my men and i like so much how smell on him extra good fragrance for men

Anup
Anup

The original, the grandaddy to all the fame and all of the fortune.
Davidoff started off as a tobacco/cigar company and this creation is a testament to that WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT!
When i went to visit Gypsy Perfumista last weekend i saw this in his cabinet of various pleasures and thought to myself, "this'll probably stink bad".
I SHOULD HAVE BEEN SLAPPED TO DEATH! No wonder this is Johnny Depp's signature fragrance. I hope with every ounce of my soul that Davidoff decides to create fragrances like this again soon. I haven't smelled any of their recent creations aside from cool water and it's flankers, but judging from the vibe i get from my fellow reviewers, i wouldn't want to.

The top:

Lush creamy lavender welcomes you into a STRONG accord of piles of sun heated rosewood. Bergamot and clary sage are there to give "pep" to these soft luscious notes. The top of this fragrance is also slightly ammoniac, but in a good way. Like fermented tobacco.

The heart:

I don't so much get florals in the scent as a whole.
However, there is an echoing moist-powderyness that is skulking around if you smell for it. I get hints of jasmine and rose, but as for the other notes...not so much. It's not necessarily a bad thing either.
Don't want a bunch of girly frilly-dilly florals ruining this refined gentleman's club ;).

The base:

Here is where i will touch on the fermented tobacco note i mentioned earlier. You know the pachouli found in A*men? Yes, well that is the exact pachouli that you find in Zino by Davidoff. EXCEPT that, Zino has a VERY apparent sweet vannilla-esque fermented tobacco note.
Rotted boardwalkwood(sandalwood) paints a sandy beach in your mind before you release your nostrils from where you've applied this fragrance.

I approve

Smell: 10
Longevity: 10
Sillage: 10

siririschmoos
siririschmoos

Some scent enthusiasts out there say they care little about what time of year or day a cologne is meant to be worn.......they'll wear it when they damn wish to!

Well, I don't know about Zino, it seems like it has to be rather cool and later in the day to wear this dark, warm, mature and masculine scent.

I love it and try to hold off on wearing till the cooler time of year. When I think of Zino by Davidoff I think of fall/winter at night on weekend nights out and about with friends dressed in nicer clothing. I will not insult those that do not like it, we all have our likes and dislikes. If you have never tried Zino though then you gotta give it a try to see if it is or is not your "thing".

I've never been much of a rose note lover but that rose note is somewhere in there nicely blended with other notes that paint a picture of rich aromas!

junior halston
junior halston

explain to me why you would discontinue this in order to launch a fragrance in dumbbell bottle!

Zino himself must be turning in his grave!

Limelight

Update after my initial review. My appreciation has grown for Zino, i dont wear it every day but on the days that i do it puts a smile on my face. Some colognes i grow tired or maybe a little bored of, Zino has had the opposite effect on me, it has really become one of my favorites when i reach into my cologne cabinet. I have learned a little spray of Zino goes a long way so be careful when applying it, it will last for days if you let it. I have been asked by both men and women about what cologne i was wearing quite a few times with nothing but positive reactions.
I think its because old can be new again:]

DrH1gh
DrH1gh

It's very, very masculine and sexy. Very intoxicating and rich smell, it lasts long (more then 8 hours).

leecher88
leecher88

today i got the chance to test it on my skin

its a horrible fragrance more than that i cant say but every man has a different taste so maybe some of you like it

silentrich
silentrich

Smells like death and dead roses. Very dark are complex. Not something I would ever wear unless I was going to a funeral. You'll hear people say this it's the love of their lives, but fact is this is the worst fragrance that you can buy blind. This is the king of love or hate.

karlovonamesti

If you think Zino smells like crap, you need to have your nose examined.

Let's put it this way - Davidoff's perfume company is not the most interesting contributor to the world's olfactory forum, but few can lay claim to something as unique, dignified, and masculine as Zino. It's one of those lower-priced perfumes that could easily sell as an expensive niche fragrance, were it to be relabeled as such. The topnotes hit of seamlessly integrated lavender and rosewood blends mysteriously into a spicy rose and cedar arrangement, with the wood dominant. As much as I dislike cedar, I must admit that here it works beautifully. It's not hamster cage, it's humidor. And it works.

Reputedly discontinued, I find it a little hard to believe that this is no longer being made. As far as I can tell, new bottles are still being stocked at local perfume shops. But if it is out of production, it's a real shame. This stuff is truly one of a kind, and should be considered the quintessential smoker's fragrance, ideal for autumn, winter, and any time you want to enjoy the air you breathe.

andrei.mrsn
andrei.mrsn

Zino Davidoff, named after its creator, was launched in 1986, 1988 being reserved for the creation of another great success, the well-known Cool Water. Yes, the design of the bottle makes us think of those years and yes we are talking about a classical scent, but don't be fooled by these issues. Zino Davidoff is a timeless scent. More specifically, it has something from those years, but also it has something from our days.

Zino Davidoff is a discreet fragrance, perfect for evening and formal wear. Being not that "loud" i can't imagine it wearing it in another way except in a evening, formal wear, spring and fall.
Top notes are not as strong as the other perfumes of similar age, and i cannot forget to mention geranium and rose components of the middle notes: Yes, it is a male fragrance, but don't worry. The top notes, middle notes are just the prelude for the base notes, woody notes that stay with you for a good part of the day or night!

Zino Davidoff, one of many vintage perfumes successfully facing the challenges from present time.

caliking
caliking

SMELLS LIKE CIGARS AND CHOCOLATE TO ME
VERY NICE

SilverFire
SilverFire

It goes on all cologne-y and then it smells something like baby oil. Then it radiates a protective, reassured, "in control" sort of sensuality; I guess that's the florals making their entrance.

Then the vanilla starts. I hate the full-on-vanilla monster Pi, but here, it combines with previous notes to be warm and masculine.

The blended vanilla smell grows stronger before eventually fading into a heady, heavy kind of musk, which has that faint note of baby oil in it. The ending does work, and I prefer it to the sweet musk smell that colognes usually leave upon my skin.

I like most of this scent, but definitely not all of it. The baby oil note is weird and offputting. It’s more sensual than the Antikytheria Mechanism by Black Phoenix laboratory (my all time favorite scent that uses vanilla), but that cologne doesn’t have the baby oil note to it. I probably won’t keep this, but if you’re in the market for a refined cologne, Zino is not bad.

umraman
umraman

The opening starts off very sharp which tells you its age. Then after 15 min it turns into A*MEN without the coffee but a bit more sweeter.

Limelight

I purchased this as a blind buy based on reviews and i eagerly anticipated its arrival at my door. This was 3 months ago and im still wondering if this is a really great cologne or if it just a little weird. My initial reaction was that it is like nothing i have ever smelled. It has its moments of fleeting greatness and others where it is just different and weird. It is plenty powerful and stays with me all day long. I really want to love this cologne but it has just not come that far, rather i kind of like it and i have to pick my spots on when to wear it. It is winter here and im hoping to see how it wears during the summer.

Skorpion
Skorpion

Something good that can arise for anyone who is scented cologne and cheap to find for itself!
Zino is the kind of cologne I said ... Stylish and durable and pleasant smell that smell that I am not saturated. Maybe it smells a bit drab, but a total look for that type of smell and long life of 10 is my pleasant aroma and along Green Irish Tweed are the best 80's perfumes.

scentury
scentury

Imagine a fireplace, imagine a man sitting in front of it, fcigar in hand and enjoying a glass of brandy. That's what ZD smells like.
The vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood is very well blended. It's warm, woody and elegant. On my skin it lasts up to 8 hours.
Once, I remember wearing it to our date and my wife-to-be bit me on my shoulder because she was so intoxicated by the scent she couldn't help herself...

Cylob
Cylob

Together with Fahrenheit the most woodsy scent I've ever owned.
I was 19 years old when I first bought this.
Looking back I was way to young to wear this.
It would make more sense now that I'm 40.
Also Zino was the only bottle I ever broke. Such a waste!
If you love woody you can't go wrong with this one.
It's a classic masterpiece!

Edit: got me a 125ml bottle and got so enthousiastic (and it was a bargain), so I bought 2 more bottles to give away as presents to 2 friends. Curious whether they'll love it too!

VanAllan

It took me almost 3 months to put my hands on a vintage version of it and another 3 days of full wearings to write a proper review, but it fully worth it.
Wow!...a lot of fans here & there. What can I add more to these enthusiastic reviews about such a wonderful fragrance?!...

On me it reveals (after a short burst of fresh-aromatic top) a smoky-dark-sweet-woody aroma, very masculine and (as others mentioned) sexy, a truly intoxicating and elegant fragrance...as a matter of fact I think I found my new number one & my signature fragrance !...so much I like it !

I don't find proper words to praise enough the pleasure and enchantement felt when I'm wearing Zino, as I had in the last three days when I walked confident knowing that I'm surrounded in such an inspiring aroma.

It trully lifts my mood and make my day better, specially in this grey-cold days of winter.

I can take for real some reviews mentioning this is the father of Burberry Brit or Armani Attitude. It stands on its own class and I have nothing else to compare to.

The best of Davidoff's releases imo and a true winner over the years.
My humble rank 10/10 ☣☣☣☣☣

Roqfort

My favourite scent ever. Very unique and mysterious and long lasting. If God would use fragrances, it would be ZINO by Davidoff...

marioslg
marioslg

The perfume of uncompramising masculinity....this is it!!! unbeleivable perfume, very masculine, elegant, classic, modern, powerfull. I suggest everyone to find and try this. it is the perfume of Johnny Depp as I read!

nas2000
nas2000

The first scent i was chasing a guy after because i wanted to know what is smelling that good!!! He really thought i am gay :-) This says everything! It is really that good, i had to ask him even making a fool out of me.
A really sexy masculin scent.
Sad Sad my girlfriend dont like masculin scents.

jagermeister
jagermeister

This has got to be one of the top 10 men's perfumes ever. I loved this scent on me. Though I received compliments from women now and then, men turned out to be the biggest admires of this scent. Go figure.

I've been meaning to review a few "made for men" fragrances, and today's unexpectedly summerlike weather (85F) seems the perfect opportunity--especially for colognes such as Davidoff ZINO.

I agree that ZINO is a relatively masculine scent, with characteristic lavender, clary sage, bergamot, and woody elements. The florals here are very low key. It would not be impossible for a woman to wear this, but doing so would project a sort of "I wear pantsuits only" image...

This is a classic cologne in the spirit of some of the Creed creations. The opening is very aromatic, a bit chemically, but in that "modern" way. The drydown is essentially a classic quasi-vetiver, with a relatively natural feeling.

It would be easy to overapply ZINO, so caution is in order. But, all things considered, this Davidoff creation seems like a real bargain to me. Wear ZINO (in moderation, please!), and you'll smell like a Creedy for a fraction of the price!

instantjim
instantjim

What a fantastic fragrance! I found a bottle of this at a small chemist store. I had never seen it for sale before (I live in Western Australia) and so I tried the tester. I already had fragrance on both wrists, so I got it on a tester card. As i drove home I kept smelling it and it impressed me how it was unlike anything else I had. It starts with a rich citrus and spicy combination. The spice seems to me like pepper, which at the first is sharp, but fades quickly to be subdued. I find it had to pick the notes after drydown, but a smooth woodiness carries on from the start to the end of the fragrance. I find it a little confusing in some ways: sometimes it seems powerful and quite long-lasting and at other times close to the skin and intimate. Overall I would say the sillage is not great, nor is the longevity. To some degree it reminds me of a citric version of Arpege pour Homme.

Scent_Guy
Scent_Guy

Zino has a great Floral,combined with a light woody opening. Transitions into a big bold Floral heart, and still manages to retain hints of the light wood found in the opening, which I'm sure was no easy feat considering the amount of Floral components found in the heart of this fragrance. The dry-down is Woody, but yet retains the Florals which dominate the heart. Well blended fragrance, damn near perfect accords from top to bottom, and always a pleasure to wear. Stock up now, as this like all discontinued fragrances will eventually dry up. Sad, but true!

blueberry
blueberry

A masterpiece. So intoxicating, mysterious, classy and sophisticated. Only for men, unfortunately :( Unfortunately, because for me, this fragrance is the epitome of masculinity, therefore, I cannot wear it myself. But I never say never! ;)

misiek_pl
misiek_pl

Absolutely best smell I have experienced. Out of the fragrances I've tested up to this point in my life this is my favourite. Perfection.

platinumtonguedcharmer
platinumtonguedcharmer

I discovered Zino in the very early 90's. From the first smell I was hooked. I am never without it, my wife loves it and women always ask what am I wearing. I love the fact that it is a very rich fragrance that lasts all day, when I come home she can still smell it on me. It became the "signature fragrance" identifying me many years ago. I never understood how cool water blew it off the shelf as it did. Zino is a far far better composed fragrance of distinction.

slave for scents
slave for scents

this was my second davidoff fragrance. it made such an impression on me then; now ,6 years later, it still creates an impact on everyone who smells it.the base notes are very warm. a sophisticated scent in every way!

Persian Belle
Persian Belle

I loved it when I smelled it at the store... This is years ago... I bought the whole gift set for my dad. He wears it mostly to evening functions.

0hvp
0hvp

I have had two friends who wear this scent and I have always loved it. Occasionally I'd steal a drop and I was always amazed at how intense and long lasting it is. recently I bought a bottle for myself, but the bottom seems to have dropped out of it! was once was heady, sexy and long lasting now is a shadow of its former self and I have to re-apply it constantly. does anyone know if they've changed formula?

lovescully
lovescully

I've only now just discovered this amazing fragrance from the late 80's, but I'm glad I waited until my 40's to find it. To me this is not a fragrance for young men.

It's smell is rich & intoxicating and in my mind, a very mature scent for a man who is very confident.

I swear I can smell rich golden honey in the drydown, but it's not mentioned in the notes above. It must be the mix of vanilla with something else. Although it does not smell like ANY other vanilla based fragrance I know.

I sprayed it on at around 9:30am and I could still smell it on me at 7:00am the next morning! This is an outstanding & exceptional fragrance!

gyrro
gyrro

one of the best `male` scents i`ve ever had ... has a very calming effect on me, probably because of the herbs i smell ... aromatherapheutic ... excellent drydown, very calm, sharp at opening, but later it settles on patchouli, rose and woods ... old school for me in a best way ... i found myself spraying it over me very often, even during my worktime as it helps me to focus on my tasks ... 30 + years imho, but if you`re younger and feel for it, just go for it, age doesn`t matter ... not so easy to find these days, worth every single coin :)

average longevity, good sillage ... just as i like it ....

bronstein
bronstein

Very elegant, yet I don't think it's timeless as someone mentioned below. The design of the bottle makes this fragrance look even older than it actually is. In fact, it's perfect for men who were born in the 1960s or earlier.

****

VanAllan

This is another good example of a timeless men only fragrance. Very strong and old-like smell at first but quickly melting down to a sexy-addicitve-flowery-intoxicating smell that last forever. If I was taking for real some bad rewiews I was never able to find such a manly elegant and dark smell which is in my wish list now. Thank you Davidoff for it. My humble rank 9.5/10. ☣☣☣☣☣

4xxx4
4xxx4

zino? the best...sexy, sexy, sexy, and once again sexy...oh, how i love to wear this scent!!! at the begin it s not very attractive, because of its blast of flowers, but later, when scent cools down, it s heaven.. really,, i can imagine this as a bed scent.. exciting, longlasting/at least on me/ and very attractive,,,the BEST from davidoff

Cassiano
Cassiano

I have always been in love with a national (Brazilian) cologne called Vezzo, from a brand called L'acqua di Fiori. For me, it's still within the list of the best brazilian national colognes, although some say that is no longer the same scent of yore. So, asking friends who knew the world of perfumery for longer than I have, I found out that it had been inspired by this masterpiece called Zino.

The most intriguing about the aroma of this fragrance is the simplicity of its notes. Who knows a bit of perfumes and feels the aroma, is able to list about 20 different ingredients in its composition, ranging from leather, suede, exotic woods, resins, etc. But there's nothing like that!

It is, basically, the result from a beautiful mix of lavender + rosewood + jasmine + geranium + sandalwood + tonka bean + patchouli and vanilla. This means an aroma, predominantly, woody-floral, which exhales by meters and that, throughout its evolution, keeps the touch of vanilla in the background with a certain creaminess without being sweet.

It's a strong scent, complex and linear. As I mentioned before, a masterpiece!

I always wanted to like this male scent, but I never could. There is something deeply disturbing in it and don't know what it is. It smells dirty and gross, a pretend-to-be sexy scent. It gives me headache and nausea.
I know many people who like and wear it with pleasure. Just not my taste.

Marcel

One of my top 5 fragances. I don't know why, but for me it smells like chocolate and tobaco. It's a shame I cannot find it anymore.

sandrina_bambina
sandrina_bambina

One of a kind. Very masculine and sexy, really seductive. In my opinion one of the best Davidoff editions. Warm, dark, wild, intoxicating, strong. Just like my men:) 10/10

desmondorama
desmondorama

I like this fragrance, it's very masculine and clean. It's great for office wear and women often comment that they love it on me.

I'm not inspired by it, but it's definitely a mature, elegant perfume. Great with a suit or formal occasion.

afraafra
afraafra

Reportedly Johnny Depp's fav scent so it can't be bad.

LuvWarrior
LuvWarrior

I've always loved this fragrance. This is one that I will put on just for myself, as my friends don't really like when I wear it. I don't know what it is, but it's like an aphrodisiac...at least when I'm wearing it! LOL If memory serves me right this was taken off the market not too long after it was introduced, but then later brought back. I first bought it after it was re-introduced.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Davidoff Zino Davidoff fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Davidoff Zino Davidoff, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Zino Davidoff by Davidoff. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Zino Davidoff by Davidoff represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.