Designers » D E » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women

Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women
dislike

Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures

Diane von Furstenberg Diane is presented in 2011.

“I wanted to put the power of women in a bottle,” said Diane von Furstenberg to wwd. “I feel like in the past 10 years, people have forgotten the magic that a perfume can have, and the power that it has. And therefore, I definitely wanted to do something powerful and seductive, without being aggressive.”

Diane fragrance is developed under the license of ID Beauty in collaboration with Givaudan perfumer Aurelien Guichard. The composition is made as a floral woody, as it is known that Diane does not like fruit in perfumes, with two main elements that represent mutual contrast - frangipani blossoms and violet.

Diane von Furstenberg Diane is available in the following concentrations and sizes: 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette and 200 ml body lotion.

Musk Patchouli Myrhh Violet Frangipani

Eau du Soir

Diane Fragrance Reviews

smk_2008
smk_2008

I have EDP, excellent woody floral fragrance. Blend of myrrh amd musk is amazing. Frangipaini is present in small amount. Haven't find violets. Its very powdery and clean. Good sillage. It also remind me sandalwood. It's a divine fragrance, reminds of past ages, more like times of kings & queens, war, forts and forest.
my mom said she smelled passion flower, vetiver. overall this is delicate blend, not overpowering.

pravda48
pravda48

Reminds me a LOT of original Agent Provocateur. Soapy to spicy-fresh, pleasant white musk and a cold, soothing floral scent in the background. It is a bit sharp up close but... don't sniff it up close ;) let it come to you! Haha no really the sillage is decent though. You don't need to lean in much to smell it. Also could compare it to NR for Her EDT, but w/ much sharper edges and not quite as 'magical' as NR for me.

It's nice if you're into cool, sexy clean musks. No fruits or sweetness here, and a kinda rough warm/clean spiciness akin to saffron (must be the resinous nature of the myrrh?). Very lovely if you can take STRONG clean musks.

[edited 9.29.14- tested from spray sample]

jenniewebb
jenniewebb

Sophisticated, cool, clean, fresh. A bit soapy but not floral, with a soft spice trail threaded through it. The EDP is different to the EDT - more robust. I wear both, but use the EDP when I want a longer lasting scent.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

a nice perfume but not what I was expecting this is super powdery nice but powdery, from the description I was hoping for something muskier,and earthy but still a nice perfume

IamWoman
IamWoman

Diane is a clean, elegant classic. I can definitely see the comparisons here to Sisley fragrances. Both bear the air of aristocratic femininity: beautiful and dignified, yet never too friendly. Diane is cool and dry, with an unmistaken sense of refined authority. She is the blue power suit and silk blouse by day, and the little black dress, pearls, and gently upswept hair by night. She's not sweet, or light and playful; she's mature, focused, and accomplished. To some, she may seem distant and aloof, but she warms as you get to know her, which may take time. She's not rushed; she's poised, calm and very confident. She's not afraid to stand independently. She's not easy to get to know; she takes her time revealing her underlying layers. She sends the message very clearly that she's classy, she's a woman, and that she's very much a lady. This fragrance, which some have referred to as "vintage" seems to have captured a lost art.

almondcookie
almondcookie

Reminds me of la Perla by la perla.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

i can really smell all the notes in this fragrance. it kinda reminds me of an older lady like 50+. a classy older woman who dresses conservative. no neon colors, no designs, just neutrals. she lives in a modest house and shes more quiet then outgoing. shes a bright lady who picks her words carefully. not really for me, but its nice. definately work fine.

JazzBirdSinger
JazzBirdSinger

oh my gosh i love this. it smells mature, lady like, and chic! no fruit for once! yaaay i don't have to smell like i'm 18! maybe DVF was trying to make a signature for herself? this perfume smells like really clean patchouli off set by white musk and light incense. i might be anosmic to the violet in this, i can hardly detect it. this smells very similar to l'eau de chloe or cabaret for me. its that type of patchouli. don't get me wrong, i love a dirty patch as much as the next person but gosh! this clean patch with white musk in diane has got me positively giddy. it's not as cheap as it was last year but still can be found relatively cheap. in any case, its much cheaper than the chloe.

swanlips
swanlips

Unlike some of the reviews I didn't find this fume cold if any thing found it to be quite spicy very classy but not aggressive , I think I may have just found my new signature scent.

Lwooten
Lwooten

I find Diane very lovely, and can detect each of the notes clearly. The overall effect is mature, and intriguing. The musk and myrrh in the dry down soften the whole affair and give it a slight sweetness. I own Aromatics Elixir and this is not JUST like it. It's less floral, less woody, less sharp, not as bold. Diane is also softer, IMHO. I am planning on an order!

SophieJ
SophieJ

Love this one so much. Cold, yet fresh. It's melancholy but not depressed. You HAVE to love violet and patchouli to like this! The violet makes it seem like a rare vintage find, while the patchouli adds a hint of "dirtyness" so to speak, it's not a laced up, uptight scent. There is NO fruit in this scent, thank goodness, as everything else these days is a "fruity floral"... time for something new, and the older styles of perfume are coming back into fashion I see!

This is a very cold scent, and when I think of DVF , I can see her wearing it. It is classy, lots of violets, a bit vintage, distant, like her persona almost , as for me, it didnt move me one bit I just felt it was wearing me more than anything. So not impressed. But from her point of view, where she stands with her fulfilled and royal life, the scent applies well
So if you are in search of a very French , cold scent, floral and classy, give it a try. It certainly has more character than the flankers that came later.
This one is like her, the flankers I doubt it.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Blind buying Diane I ventured into unknown territory of overly feminine perfumes smelling of exotic frangipani (?) - never had a chance to smell this in reality, so have to rely on the notes declared. Very loud, assertive flower scent, for prima donnas - women who are capricious, demanding and always dressed like they are on the way to the audience with the Queen.
Even with 1 tiny spritz I aromatize a meter around me, so this is definitely not for any daytime activities, more for a night out, and even then has to be applied with a light hand (and prima donnas are not too considerate of fellings of others, and like to bathe in perfume). I had an example of similar attitute before my eyes - an ex-colleague was killing Magie Noir this way.
So I'm thinking of saying good-buy to Diane, as I have evening florals better suited to me.

erikalee
erikalee

This is exactly like Clinique aromatics- watered down.

jake.shouse
jake.shouse

Got this today and it's not bad will wear it soon and will see how it wears! Never know i may end up loving it!

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I finally got the chance to test this at Winners today in the EdP.

I was immediately reminded of Agent Provocateur in the first minutes, like 2 other people here it seems. The patchouli was nice and strong, and combined with musk and violet, it almost reminded me of aldehydes. After the first ten-fifteen minutes the frangipani emerged and the whole affair became too classic and proper for me. It felt as if I was wearing Jessica McClintock on top of AP lotion... too much frangipani really reminded me of lily of the valley. But not a nice one... more like a synthetic LoTV note. Too bad, I would have liked it. I much prefer AP.

jtd
jtd

I'd imagine that a challenge for a perfumer working on a mainstream release in an identifiable genre, with mindless briefs, insufficient budgets and vague/contradictory restrictions ('We want a big cotton-candy perfume like X and Y, but classier, edgier and, you know, not really so cotton candyish. And it should read as exclusive and expensive but, you know, not really cost anything.') is can you manage to make a good perfume?

If novelty is valued exclusively over quality, then you’re screwed. But look at some of the historically and artistically successful perfumes that were neither first nor, frankly, innovative: Mitsouko, L’Heure Bleue, Shalimar. There’s something to be said for considering objective product guidelines: is it well designed, well produced and does it work well and consistently? My examples are the classic early 20th Guerlains for a reason. The classic perfume house is neither the designer who uses fragrance as an accessory to pump up profits, nor the niche line that employs the implicitly short term strategy of defining itself as something other than the mainstream. Chypres, orientals. Guerlain relied on recognizable genres, made exceedingly good perfumes based on these genres, the perfumes sold long and well and now are icons.

Diane von Furstenberg is a mainstream fashion company, so the expectation should be low. Fortunately she trusted the creation of the perfume to a classical perfumer, Aurelien Guichard.

Diane is not Guichard’s most innovative work, but it is an exceptionally good perfume and it is perfectly legible. It is neither transparent, in the sense of cheap motives, nor simplistic. It sits comfortably in its genre, the woody, musky-floral, illuminating the best facets of the genre. It balances its opposing tendencies (light/dark, creamy/sharp) with just a touch of tension, giving an easy richness. Diane alludes to a number of perfumes from different genres. The references are more cheeky than copy-cat. The opening of the edp suggests Rochas’ Tocade and Gres Cabaret. The opening of the edt evoke Aromatics Elixir and Agent Provocateur. The heartnotes of both remind me of Guichard’s own Azzaro Couture. Diane is very much its own perfume. The reference to other perfumes is part of the legibility of Diane. At all times it is its own perfume, an easy musky patchouli rose with elements of the chypre, the woody floral and the oriental rounding it and padding it.

Using a recognizable genre could be safe or it could be daring. For a less talented perfumer the big-target approach makes a recognizable genre an obvious choice, especially if the project has a low budget. It makes for easy recognizability to the consumer, and if the genre is a popular one the least common denominators line themselves up. For an expert perfumer, the challenge is, how to rise above the pat, the already-tried. Guichard does so with apparent ease and with a sublte ‘in your face’ boast. He manages to make 2 variations, the edt and the edp, both of which are successful and just different enough from each other to suggest that the are distinct answers to the same question.

lisarad
lisarad

It opened with a short blast of almost a rosey scent. It then was quickly taken over by violets and the clean dry scent of patcholi. Drying down, it became a balmy patcholi love potion. Dry, clean, patcholi. Violet is still there...just not sweet. Dry, almost woodland(y), violets. This scent has confidence and style...It could easily wear the wearer...a self-assured woman's fragrance. Really like it. And, just a couple sprays will do it...this is a longevity and sillage monster.

lilypad
lilypad

Ugh. I'm not one for the super-fruity celeb perfumes, but even I need SOME sweetness. To me this was sooo woody that it bordered on chemicaly...not feminine and just so unpleasant. Wore it today to work and was annoyed with myself for how bad I smelled during a meeting. Like oh god... I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THIS AWFUL SMELL!! Just imagine how my poor coworkers felt. Heavy, cloying, musty, YUCK.

katystunning
katystunning

I had no idea I would like this kind of perfume, but it's absolutely fabulous. Really heavy, but the most longlasting perfume I've ever had. I can smell it on my clothes one or even two weeks after wearing it. I think, DIANE is not good for everyday wearing, but the best for evenings. I really recommend :)

yesim
yesim

very very heavy:((

lulu7898
lulu7898

Patchouli blast! Wow, not a terrible scent, wish it had a bit more Iris and Frangipani (Plumeria) coming through. Love the floral, woody, musk scents but I only get patchouli here. It is pretty but not for me. Good sillage and lasting power.

cajuncocoa
cajuncocoa

Aromatics Elixir without the kitty litter smell. Love it.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

This one really surprised me. I had not read any reviews here before trying some from the open gift set at T J Maxx.

Old fashioned in a good way. Soapy and distinctly less powerful than I was expecting. And a very tasteful bottle!

I still cannot believe that no one has yet compared this to Chanel No 5 ~ not in scent, but in aura. The two are quite uniquely themselves, of course, but have a gentle elegance and undergirding of powered musk. In no way could I wear this myself. It is actually too subtle and too cold for my chemistry, but I admire the concept itself.

Just as Diane's timeless wrap and knit dresses will always be stylish, so too she has captured a kind of femeninity that will Always be compelling.

Diane does not shout for attention. On the right woman, this cool and mysterious aura will linger in the memory with all the sensual simplicity of Chanel.....

A rather sophisticated fragrance for 2012!

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I like her designer clothes so I was excited to sample this one. Glad I tested on paper first as it immediately gave me a headache. I couldn't even sniff it long enough to appreciate any of the notes. I tried it a month later and I got the same instant headache. Not a big deal - one less bottle to spend my money on. Can be found at WInners for $40.

On me,
Sillage: two feet
Longevity: 2-3 hours

Update June 2013: Too bad I don't like this. Found a gift set which includes big bottle for $16 clearance at Winners.

redrose
redrose

very elegant fragrance,I would suggest it for women over 30.I like it but dont love it. Is similar to Narciso Rodriguez for Her. It is soapy,clean and powdery.Sexy? well,dont know really,my husband doesnt find it to exiting though:) In my opinion good fragrance to work as is pleasant and elegant and doesnt smell cheap too. Comfortable fragrance for women who like to feel as a real women at work :)))

PerfumedBrunette
PerfumedBrunette

Summer nights in Monaco! Elegant, appealing, refined.

Jennifer555
Jennifer555

I love this! It smells so rich, feminine and sophisticated. I feel so pretty when I wear it. It smells of fresh floral and some baby powder scent. I bought the 1.7 oz bottle and shortly thereafter went and bought myself the larger 3.4 oz bottle since I love it so much. I can't believe there are so many dislikes on here.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I tried this one tonight on the way home from work, and although I didn't mind it, I can't imagine myself owning it. It's kind of like her wrap dresses - interesting and worth a try, but basically dated.

Eicher
Eicher

This is a mature scent. The patchouli and the musk is pretty strong. Very elegant but strong perfume. For elder generation or for evenings/business environment.

sparkybish
sparkybish

A very European smelling scent. It reminds me of the way well dressed women in Geneva smell, very classy, never too much. Of course, I can't wear it for more than a few minutes because of the patchouli, but it is a rich, classy, dignified scent. I want to say mature, but not because it is for "old" people, just for women who are women, not girls. Does that make sense? Most likely it does not. I can't wear it. I don't like it. But I know it is well made.

scentous
scentous

wood and fresh flowers, flowers soften the woodiness, it is kind of clean, but not baby clean or fresh clean..elegant clean is the way to describe it..I find nothing like eau du soir, but I agree that it is similar to aromatics elixir, which Diane is a softer version..Sillage and longevity is sooo good. Like the bottle design, simple, yet elegant..

aqua76239
aqua76239

I don't like chypre scents and this is what this scent is. My mom used to wear Fendi and Anne Klein for years and Diane smells just like Fendi to my nose. I really can't smell the frangipani(which I normally love)because patchouli and myrhh overpower everything. This one is not for me
P.S. I just read the other reviews and yes, I totally agree with another reviewer who mentioned Aromatics by Clinique. I can see some resemblence

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

Update: Well, I found a gift box with edp and lotion at TJ Maxx! Oh, I want to go buy them out! I wore it today, and it sprayed on so finely that it was a joy to apply. It was that perfect amount of scent, enough to catch whiffs of ten hours later, but not so much as to catch in my throat. The patchouli is smooth and well behaved, it is definitely powdery (a plus in my opinion). I'm not sure what frangipani smells like, but I don't single out the violet. I swear I picked up some papyrus, or perhaps just paper, notes?

The sample I had was one of those little plastic sprayers that you can't get to spray and then squirt half of it on you at once. I'm guessing that it was edt, it was sharper and not nearly as subtle or as strong. Anyway, I love it now!
--------------------------------------------
I almost bought this untried, as it sounded so lovely. Instead I traipsed out and obtained a sample. It is nice, but not wonderful for me. First, it tends to disappear pronto. Today, I drenched it on and it stayed with me, but it was too much. There may be a perfect balance, and if so, that would be interesting. I'm unlikely to buy it unless I find a bargain. Now I'm curious about Coriandre!

This smells like patchouli on a backdrop of fresh flowers. This fragrance smells fresh and cool and ladylike. I don't pick out any individual floral notes, rather there is a feeling of blended soft florals. Not entirely original, as it does remind me of other fragances, but still lovely.

woopili
woopili

My perfume, that I expected, he looks like me is me. I felt thirty before choosing. He is strong and sweet at once, sensual and generous, smart too. I love it

Froggage
Froggage

I was enjoying it but couldn't put my finger on what it was calling to mind until my paralegal came into my office, wrinkled his nose, and said "Did they put a new hand soap in the ladies' room or something?" And that nailed it. Because while it does smell lovely and elegant, it smells like a lovely, elegant soap, and there's nothing sexy about that. I would still say that it's fine for a clean, fresh, daytime scent, but this is absolutely not for night wear or special occasions.

naiada
naiada

I immediately recognised DIANE edp as similar to Coriandre, but softer and without much development, it seems to be stuck in one phase. There's definitely rose in this perfume. Violet and frangipani are not so obvious to my nose. I guess it is close to Agent provocateur as well, since Coriander and Agent share a lot of similar notes. Nice, but there are more interesting perfumes in this category, maybe Diane will be more wearable for those who can not wear more prominent chypres.

EdP of Diane is more interesting than EdT if you're looking for an intense deep ladylike scent.
It's quite elegant and with a personality. It conjures up an even stronger image in my mind than EdT about a woman with a sexy black lace lingerie and silk dress with high heels.
It's an original scent, not really into the big stream, it stands out of the mass of new candied-woodsy. I agree it reminds of Aromatic Elixir, more or less same concept, but this is less harsh and more wearable IMO. That's because Aromatic Elixir changes a lot according to chemistry and it doesn't work on mine.
Diane works much better, still it's not my kind.
Frangipani and violets is a very interesting accord here. Also lasting power is good.

suelle
suelle

Luxurious soapy violet. It reminds me some frangrance from childhood, and I cannot find what it was. Love it on skin, on paper it's completely different. Very vintage, very classy. Musk and patchouly matches my taste perfectly. It is very sexy, but if it has to be drawn it's rather two half empty flutes of chapagne on the table, tie on the chair and her bracelet somwhere, than stockings, pumps and lace lingerie on the floor.
Great sillage, lovely dryout. My Xmas must have.

beadlady
beadlady

Why doesn't anyone say it smells EXACTLY like Clinique Aromatics?? (At least to me of course!)

arianperfume
arianperfume

I really love this perfume (EDP)but the notes described are really funny. Maybe it's the combination of notes but this really smells to me like big red angry roses +patchouli.
Femme fatale perfume..............This Guichard family has somme really talented men:)

Ohkit
Ohkit

Why is this frangrance so poorly rated? Just because it's not your typical vanilla/coconot/sugar bestseller? "Diane" is a fragrance for a LADY: Sophisticated, self-confident, outspoken and last, but not the least, successful.

ankaa
ankaa

Love this for fall 2011! I'm waiting for my first bottle of edt. It's like Soir de Lune Sisley without honey (what a shame!).

J'adore pour cet automne! J'attend ma premiere bouteille d'edt. Diane est ressamblante au Soir de Lune mais sans miel (quel dommage!)

athenian
athenian

Very nice fragrance. Reminds me of Capucci de Capucci.

marthaelena
marthaelena

Tried DIANE on paper (edt) and thought is was ... it was... I mean, it reminded me of something - but something very lovely so I tried it on my arm. I did not know what it was but I was smitten by this fragrance.
It definitely is:
Ladylike, feminine, classy, smells expensive, has presence, have very good sillage (about 18 hours). Somehow it manages to be a fresh and luxurious.
I was looking for the violet note but is not an "on your face" violet note.
I read here that have similarities to the Sisley fragrances. Probably - but there is a significant difference: Dear husband hates the Sisley ones and said this one (DIANE) was very nice.
This fragrance has a bit of a vintagey flair but is not an old style fragrance at all so I can see that a girl on her twenties can love this.
I also read somewere maybe DVF got some inspiration in Joy. I would not wear JOY, but I am buying DIANE.

Jenavira
Jenavira

Like K1 below I am wondering why is there no "rose" note listed, because that is the prominent note.

Now on to the fragrance, yesterday I had the wonderful chance to test both the edt and edp and here are my thoughts on them:

EDT- The violet is more prominent with the musk being cleaner.
EDP- The patchouli and woods notes are more prominent with the rose note being deeper.

As for the scent this a shocker of goodness a mix of high-end and indie fragrances. The musky rose note running through this is most definitely in the fashion of Agent Provocateur. The arid woods remind me of the strangely spiritual Montale Musk to Musk. The creamy sensual musk's remind me of Ava Luxe's Rasa. The one thing I really don't get with this scent though: frangipani. This is going to be one of the great big releases of the year. The bottle is ugly but I think DVF for once put more money into the juice.

Diane is rich and elegant, warm and cozy. I could definitely wear this in an office yet do a touch-up and slip into a little black dress after work. I smell all of the notes listed. Patch is very prominent right from the beginning, but it wears away as the musk takes over. There is also something noticeably green about it that I can't quite put my finger on. When I smell this perfume, it gives me the vibe of being mature, not in the sense of age but in attitude. It's a classic in my book.

flora lee
flora lee

Wow. This is the nicest cleanest SOAP aroma. A divine violet and white floral over a perfectly agreeable white musk, giving the effect of "I just stepped out of the most luxurious bath with the most expensive bath products you'll ever use." I like this. It could get you through a long day and then easily be layered upon if you wanted to do something different or dramatic at night. Tried the EdT on skin (EdP and EdT smelled very similar on paper). Far dry down sensing the patchouli, wood (maybe even oud) blending seamlessly with the green violets from the top.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

I love Diane von Furstenberg, she is very beautiful woman! She has a life on face. This scent is elegant for woman admirers all sisley :)

vertigo
vertigo

I actually get loads of rosy, soapy OUDH from this fragrance, the EDP version.
A vintage smelling scent, sadly - very artificial to my nose.
Good sillage and staying power, doesn't change in time.

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg 3.24 out of 5 based on 181 ratings and 51 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Diane von Furstenberg Diane fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Diane von Furstenberg Diane, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Diane by Diane von Furstenberg. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Diane by Diane von Furstenberg represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.