Designers » D E » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women

Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women
dislike

smoky
Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures Diane Diane von Furstenberg for women Pictures

Diane von Furstenberg Diane is presented in 2011.

“I wanted to put the power of women in a bottle,” said Diane von Furstenberg to wwd. “I feel like in the past 10 years, people have forgotten the magic that a perfume can have, and the power that it has. And therefore, I definitely wanted to do something powerful and seductive, without being aggressive.”

Diane fragrance is developed under the license of ID Beauty in collaboration with Givaudan perfumer Aurelien Guichard. The composition is made as a floral woody, as it is known that Diane does not like fruit in perfumes, with two main elements that represent mutual contrast - frangipani blossoms and violet.

Diane von Furstenberg Diane is available in the following concentrations and sizes: 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette and 200 ml body lotion.

Musk Patchouli Myrhh Violet Frangipani

Diane Eau de Toilette
Azzaro Couture

Diane Fragrance Reviews

metaluna
metaluna

I am so delighted with my 'Diane' EDT, 50ml at £4.99 - such an incredible bargain at a nearby Savers. I didn't know anything about it, so this was a proper blind purchase and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I love old-school scents and this is one of those: classic, evocative, long-lasting and timeless. My range of perfumes is not large enough for me to say that it reminds me of a particular scent. But DVF is very evocative of mother's expensive vintage perfumes worn on an evening out. The difference is that I like wearing such perfumes throughout the day, regardless of season. I also don't distinguish between 'everyday' and 'Sunday Best', so the scent I wear has to work all the time. I think DVF does the job and works very hard for its extremely modest money.
I get plenty of rose from it; I love rose, but not just any kind, as many expensive roses out there smell like room fragrances. This is proper rose which I find very comforting as a scent. Along with my other favourite - patchouli - it makes a wonderful, sophisticated combination. I find it neither heavy nor sweet. In my view, there is more patchouli than musk, which I prefer anyway.
I agree with other reviewers that such a fragrance wouldn't appeal to everyone. But then, is there a single one out there that does?
I recommend that you give DVF a go if you enjoy grown-up vintage perfumes that tend to linger on, and if you like rose alongside patchouli. It's a super combination of the two.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Bought it very cheap at Mashalls. Here we go: the first minutes after spraying were awful. A heady, outdated, chemical bug spray smell. But give it 20 mins, this smell turns into a gorgeous, elegant and very feminine ladylike scent. Flowers, amber and patchouli will follow you for hours; it has awesome longevity and sillage. Just spray it with enough time before going out to avoid people getting mad at you.

spinderella
spinderella

Very good! Mature, elegant scent. Not flowery, not gourmand, just a very nice musk with myrrh. What a lovely surprise in this world of fruity florals and women who smell like chocolate-dipped popcorn. And it is cheap (I bought 30 ml edp for 8.5 euro's!). Do try this one. You might be amazed. And I get loads of compliments (a friend called it a very comforting scent, and she is right).

celebrity89
celebrity89

Insta-dizzy, 70's rich lady scent. The modern side of this is the Florabotanica and Heidi Klum Surprise comparison. Sparkling rose with patchouli.

SeabreezeHappy
SeabreezeHappy

I bought the EDP, it's pretty powerful. Very grown up and not for the faint hearted.

I really like it, but there is this note that I can't work out that smells slightly artificial which it bothers me. But after it has dried down a bit, it goes slightly.

However whenever I wear it I get loads of complements from men.

renzi79
renzi79

oh boy, this smells like pork to me - male pork meat, very gamey. Seems I stand alone on this.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Light floral, office neutral, average longevity, not offensive and pleasant. Nothing outstanding, but nice feminine perfume. I don't get strong patch, but soft floral a bit soapy and unsweetened composition, safe choice for work.
I gave it away.

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

I am not sure why people dislike this, I find it fresh, strong, passionate, very inexpensive and high quality.
Maybe it's just not a 'fashionable' scent at the moment.
I think it is better than the majority of inexpensive celebrity perfumes that are available at the moment.
I love the bottle shape and design, it feels good to hold in the hand. This is a good honest perfume, and not in any way a fad, I think it is a long term classic.

PaulieDoodle
PaulieDoodle

Wow!!
I have just purchased this "ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS PERFUME"Wore It Twice/Three Times Now & Already Have Received So Many Compliments About It!! This Is Already My New Favourite!! It Reminds Me Of Quizas,Quizas,Quizas By Loewe (Which I Also Love) But Diane Von Furstenberg Last's So Much Longer!!I Also Love & Wear Clinique Aromatics,Knowing & White Linen By Estee Lauder,A Good Few Guerlain's & Chanel etc, & I Find That Diane Von Furstenberg Really Does Fit So Well Into This KindA Company!! Diane Von Furstenberg Is O So Classy,Sexy,& Quietly A Real Head Turner At A Really Posh Doo!! & I Can Honestly Say That I will Deffo Be Buying Another 100ml EDP Of This "ABSOLUTE BEAUTY"!! For Me It Deffo Was "LOVE AT FIRST SNIFF"!! & I Hope To Really Enjoy Wearing Diane Von Furstenberg For Many,Many Years To Come!! A Real Hidden Gem That Deserves SOooooo Much More!! Xx

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

Starts out with striking similarities to Aromatics Elixir but with a dash of rose. I think this might be the reason for the dislikes. If your in search of a modern sweet fragrance this one would not be the one for you. The lovers of AE very likely would see the likeness and perhaps enjoy this one as a lighter version. Rose is not mentioned as one of the notes however it's very clear. As the hours pass the rose becomes even more prominent A big dislike for me unfortunately.

If rose is your thing you might enjoy this. But it's not for everyone indeed and it's not for every occasion. Fortunately it's cheap as chips so it would not be a terrible loss as a blind buy.

magnumgirl51
magnumgirl51

Like the previous reviewer, I am amazed that this fragrance is so great for the price. I keep going back to it almost every other day. It does outlast most of my others. It is a clean and modern fragrance, but also remonds me of older more vintage perfumes. I always look for patchouli or musk and smoky or powdery because they all seem to fit my body chemistry and they are also what I love to smell. This is definitely done the right way for me. I have already purchased a second bottle and will probably look for it again soon. I believe this is good for any occassion.
I have received compliments each time I have worn it.

diamondsr4ever
diamondsr4ever

Diane (EDP),
I didn't have very high hopes of enjoying you but I was so pleasantly surprised.
I happen to like patchouli which is just as well really because that is the very first thing I get from you.
Woodsy flowers, yes. I love violet, but sadly I detect none but it doesn't matter.
But the most amazing thing about you is you are only the 2nd perfume I own that has the most amazing longevity I know. Nearly all my perfumes have to be constantly reapplied during the day because I can't get them to stay on my skin. You have made me happy because I still have you to enjoy 5 hours after application and just one tiny squirt was all it needed to achieve that.
So thank you. The old adage of a little goes a long way is very apt for you.
You deserve better appreciation and recognition in my opinion. An unsung little heroine.

jamiehammond

I find this a rare gem that out lasts 95% of my other frags and as a man I find it easy to fool people into thinking that this is an aftershave I just can't get enough of this well constructed diamond in the rough. 10/10

RaggedyAnne
RaggedyAnne

Reading the notes, this sounded like the perfect perfume for me, so I bought it blind, but unfortunately was way too strong for me, and was an instant scrubber.
I am not an oversprayer, but even the 2 light sprays I used was far too much, and made my eyes water. I cant even describe the notes to you, I was far too busy coughing and sneezing to even smell anything in particular.

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 4.5/10
Here's why:
Soapy. Clunky. Old School.
Nothing soft or delicate about this for at leat 2-3 hours.
with a dry down of that time frame... No wonder so many people were quick to 'dislike' this.
Interestingly enough, the violet and white flowers doesn't lend itself to a Chanel No.5 vibe, instead lending their notes to a very, very soapy tone throughout.
smells like a bar of Irish spring from the early nineties.
Staying power is forever. too long for this sent and Sillage is rather modest.
This is doing no one any favors.

LEXIE
LEXIE

Wow...I went to savers to look for a perfume for my mum, they had them at the till for £7.99 for 50 ml and I decided to try it. I thought to myself its something mum would like. I came back and kept sniffing it, its one of the strongest perfumes I have ever come across. Its unusual for an EDT. Even after a bath I could smell it. I liked it and bought one for myself too. It reminds me of a French perfume my friend got given by her mum, we used to play with it and apply it to our necks as children. As soon as I smelt it I knew it reminded me of those times and brought back those nice memories. Its simple, musky and powdery. Its got nothing to do with Chloe but it somehow reminds me of the crispiness Chloe has. I guess its the powdery scent that lingers around all day. It needs evaluation because you have to experience how it changes throughout a period of time. I'm not at all a fun of pure musky scents. I am a Dior hypnotic poison kind of girl, however this has caught my attention and is going to stay in my collection due to its strength and uniqness I can honestly say I'm versatile and open to new scents. Good job Diane, very good job.

mystica
mystica

This fragrance seems totally underrated to me.

Diane is such a clean, modern, stylish, edgy perfume. This is patchouli and musk done in the right way. I also like the rose vibe in it. It's an ideal daytime/office perfume which is indeed fit for every occassion.

As it goes for musk and non-sweet stuff for the modern, grown-up woman, I second Diane only to Narcisso Rodriguez For Her.

Longevity and sillage is very good on me.

Recommended.

Justynka
Justynka

I'm on my second bottle of this frag gem, this time 100ml as I know I'm going to use it up soon! :) The more I wear it, the more I love it. It's edgy modern but classy, and woody floral but fresh. I don't experience anything powdery about it, might be just my nose. I feel clean and quite fresh wearing it. It is not a flat frag, yet I absolutely love the simplicity of the combination of notes! I love wearing it for work :) Dry, confident, modern and cool. I adore it!
Update: 3rd bottle and counting! ;-D And yes, I can see why this frag is not for everyone. It is a very 'confident' scent, better worn if you're in the right mood for it. I find it not very suited for a chill out, but rather 'I'm ready and I'm going to get it' day ;-)

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Musk, wood and flowers wrapped up in patch and powder and you have 'Diane'.
This perfume is my mother's dressing room, all Lipstick, body cream and powder predominating. Sophistication is at large with the presence of woody flowers and musk in order to tone the composition and reduce the sweetness.
I'm impressed, I like this and have been wearing it for three days now. It has received complements from my nearest and dearest and it was purchased for a song.
Longevity is impressive, 10 hours + and a very respectable silage.

sirop de Liège
sirop de Liège

I blind bought this for my mother, based on the ingredients and reviews below saying it resembles Coriandre. Coriandre is one of my mom's favourite perfumes and she loves patchouli but not fruitchouli. Anyway, I found the Diane edp 50ml for only 8 £ , so even if she didn't like it there was no harm done. I didn't open it, but gave her the sealed box saying 'I think you might like this'.
She loves it! The comparison to Coriandre is there but Diane has a richer, deeper scent, the myrhh and the franchipani give this such a nice and creamy dimension. It has amazing longevity and sillage, my mom only sprayed a little on her hand and 4 hours later, after having cooked dinner and washing her hands twice it was still smelling strong.
If you like a strong musky/patchouli perfume you should definately give this a try!

shushkin
shushkin

I never tested this first so it was a bit of a risky purchase. Thankfully I neednt have worried. The notes combine to make a very sophisticated and classy perfume. It made me feel all grown up which is a bit silly as I am on the wrong side of 45! I suspect I am not alone in still feeling like I am in my twenties but having a reality check when I catch sight of my reflection!
I get a big hit of patchouli and musk that is lifted by the violet. The drydown is dominated by the musk and violet on me. Yes, I like this one and will keep it to wear to places where I need to be taken seriously.
Moderate sillage and longevity on me.

smk_2008
smk_2008

I have EDP, excellent woody floral fragrance. Blend of myrrh amd musk is amazing. Frangipaini is present in small amount. Haven't find violets. Its very powdery and clean. Good sillage. It also remind me sandalwood. It's a divine fragrance, reminds of past ages, more like times of kings & queens, war, forts and forest.
my mom said she smelled passion flower, vetiver. overall this is delicate blend, not overpowering.

pravda48
pravda48

Reminds me a LOT of original Agent Provocateur. Soapy to spicy-fresh, pleasant white musk and a cold, soothing floral scent in the background. It is a bit sharp up close but... don't sniff it up close ;) let it come to you! Haha no really the sillage is decent though. You don't need to lean in much to smell it. Also could compare it to NR for Her EDT, but w/ much sharper edges and not quite as 'magical' as NR for me.

It's nice if you're into cool, sexy clean musks. No fruits or sweetness here, and a kinda rough warm/clean spiciness akin to saffron (must be the resinous nature of the myrrh?). Very lovely if you can take STRONG clean musks.

[edited 9.29.14- tested from spray sample]

jenniewebb
jenniewebb

Sophisticated, cool, clean, fresh. A bit soapy but not floral, with a soft spice trail threaded through it. The EDP is different to the EDT - more robust. I wear both, but use the EDP when I want a longer lasting scent.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

a nice perfume but not what I was expecting this is super powdery nice but powdery, from the description I was hoping for something muskier,and earthy but still a nice perfume

almondcookie
almondcookie

Reminds me of la Perla by la perla.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

i can really smell all the notes in this fragrance. it kinda reminds me of an older lady like 50+. a classy older woman who dresses conservative. no neon colors, no designs, just neutrals. she lives in a modest house and shes more quiet then outgoing. shes a bright lady who picks her words carefully. not really for me, but its nice. definately work fine.

swanlips
swanlips

Unlike some of the reviews I didn't find this fume cold if any thing found it to be quite spicy very classy but not aggressive , I think I may have just found my new signature scent.

Lwooten
Lwooten

I find Diane very lovely, and can detect each of the notes clearly. The overall effect is mature, and intriguing. The musk and myrrh in the dry down soften the whole affair and give it a slight sweetness. I own Aromatics Elixir and this is not JUST like it. It's less floral, less woody, less sharp, not as bold. Diane is also softer, IMHO. I am planning on an order!

SophieJ
SophieJ

Love this one so much. Cold, yet fresh. It's melancholy but not depressed. You HAVE to love violet and patchouli to like this! The violet makes it seem like a rare vintage find, while the patchouli adds a hint of "dirtyness" so to speak, it's not a laced up, uptight scent. There is NO fruit in this scent, thank goodness, as everything else these days is a "fruity floral"... time for something new, and the older styles of perfume are coming back into fashion I see!

This is a very cold scent, and when I think of DVF , I can see her wearing it. It is classy, lots of violets, a bit vintage, distant, like her persona almost , as for me, it didnt move me one bit I just felt it was wearing me more than anything. So not impressed. But from her point of view, where she stands with her fulfilled and royal life, the scent applies well
So if you are in search of a very French , cold scent, floral and classy, give it a try. It certainly has more character than the flankers that came later.
This one is like her, the flankers I doubt it.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Blind buying Diane I ventured into unknown territory of overly feminine perfumes smelling of exotic frangipani (?) - never had a chance to smell this in reality, so have to rely on the notes declared. Very loud, assertive flower scent, for prima donnas - women who are capricious, demanding and always dressed like they are on the way to the audience with the Queen.
Even with 1 tiny spritz I aromatize a meter around me, so this is definitely not for any daytime activities, more for a night out, and even then has to be applied with a light hand (and prima donnas are not too considerate of fellings of others, and like to bathe in perfume). I had an example of similar attitute before my eyes - an ex-colleague was killing Magie Noir this way.
So I'm thinking of saying good-buy to Diane, as I have evening florals better suited to me.

erikalee
erikalee

This is exactly like Clinique aromatics- watered down.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I finally got the chance to test this at Winners today in the EdP.

I was immediately reminded of Agent Provocateur in the first minutes, like 2 other people here it seems. The patchouli was nice and strong, and combined with musk and violet, it almost reminded me of aldehydes. After the first ten-fifteen minutes the frangipani emerged and the whole affair became too classic and proper for me. It felt as if I was wearing Jessica McClintock on top of AP lotion... too much frangipani really reminded me of lily of the valley. But not a nice one... more like a synthetic LoTV note. Too bad, I would have liked it. I much prefer AP.

jtd
jtd

I'd imagine that a challenge for a perfumer working on a mainstream release in an identifiable genre, with mindless briefs, insufficient budgets and vague/contradictory restrictions ('We want a big cotton-candy perfume like X and Y, but classier, edgier and, you know, not really so cotton candyish. And it should read as exclusive and expensive but, you know, not really cost anything.') is can you manage to make a good perfume?

If novelty is valued exclusively over quality, then you’re screwed. But look at some of the historically and artistically successful perfumes that were neither first nor, frankly, innovative: Mitsouko, L’Heure Bleue, Shalimar. There’s something to be said for considering objective product guidelines: is it well designed, well produced and does it work well and consistently? My examples are the classic early 20th Guerlains for a reason. The classic perfume house is neither the designer who uses fragrance as an accessory to pump up profits, nor the niche line that employs the implicitly short term strategy of defining itself as something other than the mainstream. Chypres, orientals. Guerlain relied on recognizable genres, made exceedingly good perfumes based on these genres, the perfumes sold long and well and now are icons.

Diane von Furstenberg is a mainstream fashion company, so the expectation should be low. Fortunately she trusted the creation of the perfume to a classical perfumer, Aurelien Guichard.

Diane is not Guichard’s most innovative work, but it is an exceptionally good perfume and it is perfectly legible. It is neither transparent, in the sense of cheap motives, nor simplistic. It sits comfortably in its genre, the woody, musky-floral, illuminating the best facets of the genre. It balances its opposing tendencies (light/dark, creamy/sharp) with just a touch of tension, giving an easy richness. Diane alludes to a number of perfumes from different genres. The references are more cheeky than copy-cat. The opening of the edp suggests Rochas’ Tocade and Gres Cabaret. The opening of the edt evoke Aromatics Elixir and Agent Provocateur. The heartnotes of both remind me of Guichard’s own Azzaro Couture. Diane is very much its own perfume. The reference to other perfumes is part of the legibility of Diane. At all times it is its own perfume, an easy musky patchouli rose with elements of the chypre, the woody floral and the oriental rounding it and padding it.

Using a recognizable genre could be safe or it could be daring. For a less talented perfumer the big-target approach makes a recognizable genre an obvious choice, especially if the project has a low budget. It makes for easy recognizability to the consumer, and if the genre is a popular one the least common denominators line themselves up. For an expert perfumer, the challenge is, how to rise above the pat, the already-tried. Guichard does so with apparent ease and with a sublte ‘in your face’ boast. He manages to make 2 variations, the edt and the edp, both of which are successful and just different enough from each other to suggest that the are distinct answers to the same question.

lisarad
lisarad

It opened with a short blast of almost a rosey scent. It then was quickly taken over by violets and the clean dry scent of patcholi. Drying down, it became a balmy patcholi love potion. Dry, clean, patcholi. Violet is still there...just not sweet. Dry, almost woodland(y), violets. This scent has confidence and style...It could easily wear the wearer...a self-assured woman's fragrance. Really like it. And, just a couple sprays will do it...this is a longevity and sillage monster.

lilypad
lilypad

Ugh. I'm not one for the super-fruity celeb perfumes, but even I need SOME sweetness. To me this was sooo woody that it bordered on chemicaly...not feminine and just so unpleasant. Wore it today to work and was annoyed with myself for how bad I smelled during a meeting. Like oh god... I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THIS AWFUL SMELL!! Just imagine how my poor coworkers felt. Heavy, cloying, musty, YUCK.

katystunning
katystunning

I had no idea I would like this kind of perfume, but it's absolutely fabulous. Really heavy, but the most longlasting perfume I've ever had. I can smell it on my clothes one or even two weeks after wearing it. I think, DIANE is not good for everyday wearing, but the best for evenings. I really recommend :)

yesim
yesim

very very heavy:((

lulu7898
lulu7898

Patchouli blast! Wow, not a terrible scent, wish it had a bit more Iris and Frangipani (Plumeria) coming through. Love the floral, woody, musk scents but I only get patchouli here. It is pretty but not for me. Good sillage and lasting power.

cajuncocoa
cajuncocoa

Aromatics Elixir without the kitty litter smell. Love it.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

This one really surprised me. I had not read any reviews here before trying some from the open gift set at T J Maxx.

Old fashioned in a good way. Soapy and distinctly less thick than I was expecting. And a very tasteful bottle! In no way could I wear this myself. It is actually too stark and cold for my chemistry, but I admire the concept itself.

Just as Diane's timeless wrap and knit dresses will always be stylish, so too she has captured a kind of femininity that will Always be compelling.

Diane does not shout for attention. On the right woman, this cool and mysterious aura will linger in the memory with all the sensual simplicity of Chanel.....

A rather sophisticated fragrance for 2012!

Update -

Fast forward a few years, and voila! My skin is less cold now, thanks in part to an improvement in my low blood pressure. Also, it is a very warm day. And Now I can wear Diane! This is exciting for me, in so many ways. Aromatics Elixir Light? Yes, Diane has her own 'flavor', but she's in that same therapeutic category of totally unsweetened DIGNITY.

Excellent sillage
Excellent longevity
Excellent value!

A Queenly Earth Goddess....

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I like her designer clothes so I was excited to sample this one. Glad I tested on paper first as it immediately gave me a headache. I couldn't even sniff it long enough to appreciate any of the notes. I tried it a month later and I got the same instant headache. Not a big deal - one less bottle to spend my money on. Can be found at WInners for $40.

On me,
Sillage: two feet
Longevity: 2-3 hours

Update June 2013: Too bad I don't like this. Found a gift set which includes big bottle for $16 clearance at Winners.

redrose
redrose

very elegant fragrance,I would suggest it for women over 30.I like it but dont love it. Is similar to Narciso Rodriguez for Her. It is soapy,clean and powdery.Sexy? well,dont know really,my husband doesnt find it to exiting though:) In my opinion good fragrance to work as is pleasant and elegant and doesnt smell cheap too. Comfortable fragrance for women who like to feel as a real women at work :)))

PerfumedBrunette
PerfumedBrunette

Summer nights in Monaco! Elegant, appealing, refined.

Jennifer555
Jennifer555

I love this! It smells so rich, feminine and sophisticated. I feel so pretty when I wear it. It smells of fresh floral and some baby powder scent. I bought the 1.7 oz bottle and shortly thereafter went and bought myself the larger 3.4 oz bottle since I love it so much. I can't believe there are so many dislikes on here.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I tried this one tonight on the way home from work, and although I didn't mind it, I can't imagine myself owning it. It's kind of like her wrap dresses - interesting and worth a try, but basically dated.

Eicher
Eicher

This is a mature scent. The patchouli and the musk is pretty strong. Very elegant but strong perfume. For elder generation or for evenings/business environment.

sparkybish
sparkybish

A very European smelling scent. It reminds me of the way well dressed women in Geneva smell, very classy, never too much. Of course, I can't wear it for more than a few minutes because of the patchouli, but it is a rich, classy, dignified scent. I want to say mature, but not because it is for "old" people, just for women who are women, not girls. Does that make sense? Most likely it does not. I can't wear it. I don't like it. But I know it is well made.

scentous
scentous

wood and fresh flowers, flowers soften the woodiness, it is kind of clean, but not baby clean or fresh clean..elegant clean is the way to describe it..I find nothing like eau du soir, but I agree that it is similar to aromatics elixir, which Diane is a softer version..Sillage and longevity is sooo good. Like the bottle design, simple, yet elegant..

aqua76239
aqua76239

I don't like chypre scents and this is what this scent is. My mom used to wear Fendi and Anne Klein for years and Diane smells just like Fendi to my nose. I really can't smell the frangipani(which I normally love)because patchouli and myrhh overpower everything. This one is not for me
P.S. I just read the other reviews and yes, I totally agree with another reviewer who mentioned Aromatics by Clinique. I can see some resemblence

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

Update: Well, I found a gift box with edp and lotion at TJ Maxx! Oh, I want to go buy them out! I wore it today, and it sprayed on so finely that it was a joy to apply. It was that perfect amount of scent, enough to catch whiffs of ten hours later, but not so much as to catch in my throat. The patchouli is smooth and well behaved, it is definitely powdery (a plus in my opinion). I'm not sure what frangipani smells like, but I don't single out the violet. I swear I picked up some papyrus, or perhaps just paper, notes?

The sample I had was one of those little plastic sprayers that you can't get to spray and then squirt half of it on you at once. I'm guessing that it was edt, it was sharper and not nearly as subtle or as strong. Anyway, I love it now!
--------------------------------------------
I almost bought this untried, as it sounded so lovely. Instead I traipsed out and obtained a sample. It is nice, but not wonderful for me. First, it tends to disappear pronto. Today, I drenched it on and it stayed with me, but it was too much. There may be a perfect balance, and if so, that would be interesting. I'm unlikely to buy it unless I find a bargain. Now I'm curious about Coriandre!

This smells like patchouli on a backdrop of fresh flowers. This fragrance smells fresh and cool and ladylike. I don't pick out any individual floral notes, rather there is a feeling of blended soft florals. Not entirely original, as it does remind me of other fragances, but still lovely.

woopili
woopili

My perfume, that I expected, he looks like me is me. I felt thirty before choosing. He is strong and sweet at once, sensual and generous, smart too. I love it

Froggage
Froggage

I was enjoying it but couldn't put my finger on what it was calling to mind until my paralegal came into my office, wrinkled his nose, and said "Did they put a new hand soap in the ladies' room or something?" And that nailed it. Because while it does smell lovely and elegant, it smells like a lovely, elegant soap, and there's nothing sexy about that. I would still say that it's fine for a clean, fresh, daytime scent, but this is absolutely not for night wear or special occasions.

naiada
naiada

I immediately recognised DIANE edp as similar to Coriandre, but softer and without much development, it seems to be stuck in one phase. There's definitely rose in this perfume. Violet and frangipani are not so obvious to my nose. I guess it is close to Agent provocateur as well, since Coriander and Agent share a lot of similar notes. Nice, but there are more interesting perfumes in this category, maybe Diane will be more wearable for those who can not wear more prominent chypres.

EdP of Diane is more interesting than EdT if you're looking for an intense deep ladylike scent.
It's quite elegant and with a personality. It conjures up an even stronger image in my mind than EdT about a woman with a sexy black lace lingerie and silk dress with high heels.
It's an original scent, not really into the big stream, it stands out of the mass of new candied-woodsy. I agree it reminds of Aromatic Elixir, more or less same concept, but this is less harsh and more wearable IMO. That's because Aromatic Elixir changes a lot according to chemistry and it doesn't work on mine.
Diane works much better, still it's not my kind.
Frangipani and violets is a very interesting accord here. Also lasting power is good.

suelle
suelle

Luxurious soapy violet. It reminds me some frangrance from childhood, and I cannot find what it was. Love it on skin, on paper it's completely different. Very vintage, very classy. Musk and patchouly matches my taste perfectly. It is very sexy, but if it has to be drawn it's rather two half empty flutes of chapagne on the table, tie on the chair and her bracelet somwhere, than stockings, pumps and lace lingerie on the floor.
Great sillage, lovely dryout. My Xmas must have.

beadlady
beadlady

Why doesn't anyone say it smells EXACTLY like Clinique Aromatics?? (At least to me of course!)

arianperfume
arianperfume

I really love this perfume (EDP)but the notes described are really funny. Maybe it's the combination of notes but this really smells to me like big red angry roses +patchouli.
Femme fatale perfume..............This Guichard family has somme really talented men:)

Ohkit
Ohkit

Why is this frangrance so poorly rated? Just because it's not your typical vanilla/coconot/sugar bestseller? "Diane" is a fragrance for a LADY: Sophisticated, self-confident, outspoken and last, but not the least, successful.

ankaa
ankaa

Love this for fall 2011! I'm waiting for my first bottle of edt. It's like Soir de Lune Sisley without honey (what a shame!).

J'adore pour cet automne! J'attend ma premiere bouteille d'edt. Diane est ressamblante au Soir de Lune mais sans miel (quel dommage!)

athenian
athenian

Very nice fragrance. Reminds me of Capucci de Capucci.

marthaelena
marthaelena

Tried DIANE on paper (edt) and thought is was ... it was... I mean, it reminded me of something - but something very lovely so I tried it on my arm. I did not know what it was but I was smitten by this fragrance.
It definitely is:
Ladylike, feminine, classy, smells expensive, has presence, have very good sillage (about 18 hours). Somehow it manages to be a fresh and luxurious.
I was looking for the violet note but is not an "on your face" violet note.
I read here that have similarities to the Sisley fragrances. Probably - but there is a significant difference: Dear husband hates the Sisley ones and said this one (DIANE) was very nice.
This fragrance has a bit of a vintagey flair but is not an old style fragrance at all so I can see that a girl on her twenties can love this.
I also read somewere maybe DVF got some inspiration in Joy. I would not wear JOY, but I am buying DIANE.

Jenavira
Jenavira

Like K1 below I am wondering why is there no "rose" note listed, because that is the prominent note.

Now on to the fragrance, yesterday I had the wonderful chance to test both the edt and edp and here are my thoughts on them:

EDT- The violet is more prominent with the musk being cleaner.
EDP- The patchouli and woods notes are more prominent with the rose note being deeper.

As for the scent this a shocker of goodness a mix of high-end and indie fragrances. The musky rose note running through this is most definitely in the fashion of Agent Provocateur. The arid woods remind me of the strangely spiritual Montale Musk to Musk. The creamy sensual musk's remind me of Ava Luxe's Rasa. The one thing I really don't get with this scent though: frangipani. This is going to be one of the great big releases of the year. The bottle is ugly but I think DVF for once put more money into the juice.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Diane is rich and elegant, warm and cozy. I could definitely wear this in an office yet do a touch-up and slip into a little black dress after work. I smell all of the notes listed. Patch is very prominent right from the beginning, but it wears away as the musk takes over. There is also something noticeably green about it that I can't quite put my finger on. When I smell this perfume, it gives me the vibe of being mature, not in the sense of age but in attitude. It's a classic in my book.

(Update years later: I own the EDT now too, and there are some differences. They have the same DNA, but this one is sweeter all the way through the drydown, almost like a sweet balsam or possibly tonka. It's also less soapy and has some kind of sweet fruit that the EDT does not have. I love and own both)

flora lee
flora lee

Wow. This is the nicest cleanest SOAP aroma. A divine violet and white floral over a perfectly agreeable white musk, giving the effect of "I just stepped out of the most luxurious bath with the most expensive bath products you'll ever use." I like this. It could get you through a long day and then easily be layered upon if you wanted to do something different or dramatic at night. Tried the EdT on skin (EdP and EdT smelled very similar on paper). Far dry down sensing the patchouli, wood (maybe even oud) blending seamlessly with the green violets from the top.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

I love Diane von Furstenberg, she is very beautiful woman! She has a life on face. This scent is elegant for woman admirers all sisley :)

vertigo
vertigo

I actually get loads of rosy, soapy OUDH from this fragrance, the EDP version.
A vintage smelling scent, sadly - very artificial to my nose.
Good sillage and staying power, doesn't change in time.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Diane von Furstenberg Diane fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Diane von Furstenberg Diane, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Diane by Diane von Furstenberg. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Diane by Diane von Furstenberg represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.