Designers » D E » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

Dior Homme Dior for men
dislike

I have it: 847 I had it: 149 I want it: 464 My signature: 55

cacao
Dior Homme Dior for men Pictures Dior Homme Dior for men Pictures Dior Homme Dior for men Pictures Dior Homme Dior for men Pictures

Dior Homme by Dior is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for men. Dior Homme was launched in 2011. The nose behind this fragrance is Francois Demachy. Top notes are lavender, sage and bergamot; middle notes are iris, amber and cacao; base notes are vetiver, patchouli and leather.

Lavender Sage Bergamot

Little Sugar

Dior Homme Fragrance Reviews

jreedmcgraw
jreedmcgraw

A modern masterpiece by Dior. The iris note is incredibly well done, and the fragrance as a whole just oozes class. Excellent longevity and moderate silage. Overall: 9/10

Noley
Noley

I'd be lying if I said the opening didn't give the most feminine vibe a male fragrance has ever given, but that is about the only bad thing that you'll ever hear from me on this fragrance. The chilling iris battling out with the warm cacao is just a scent that's as unique the first time you wear it as it will be the 500th time. Timeless, perfect, 10/10.

roko
roko

My mother bought it for my birthday yesterday! I had ordered it a few weeks ago..΄-) I have tried both dior homme and dior homme intense.As i have said in other topics,i found dhi too feminine for me and i couldn't find any other notes in that scent except the iris.

Dior Homme on the other hand,has a lot of iris of course,but it is much more masculine than it's younger successor dhi,and it has more notes to smell,like leather and cocoa which make it magic and very interesting.

It's a very very very rich perfume,very elegant and absolutely perfect for nights and romantic meetings with your girl.It's excellent quality gives me prestige and confidence.

The bottle design shows you exactly what the perfume is in it's interior..A very good looking man,maybe a scientist or a writer,who gets in his car and goes for a night romantic rendez-vous with his girl who is a model!The advertise with Jude Law is very realistic about this scent.

I am a new member in the world of scents,i study and smell perfumes for a year.I have smelled the most famous perfumes on samples and on my skin.Dior Homme is the best scent i have tested and i loved it from the first time i smelled it and yesterday was a very nice day for me.Only with Dior Aqua Fahreneit i have been as much enthusiast as with Dior Homme.I had to pick among these two and and so i picked Dior Homme because the quality and the elegance of this scent make me feel great.

scent 10/10
longevity 10/10
projection 9/10
bottle design 10/10

edit: My batch code is 3Z02 which means it is from December 2013.The colour of the bottle and the cap is exactly like the one in the photo of the 2011 more close to Dhi than the 2005 version.

I read from someone about the poor longevity.Well,the longevity is a beast,it's been almost 24 hours and still the smell is there,it's even stronger than Dhi i can say..

So overall ,i don't know if there is any difference between May of 2013 before and after and i don't care,from the posts i read,the differences in the notes are very very few and demand an experienced nose not mine ΄-).The opening yes is lipstickly and very similar to dhi.

Anyway whatever version that is,that thing is magic! As i said..10 out of 10.

update 14/8/'14 : About 34 degrees temperature,in a hot night in Athens Greece.I gave it two sprays and it lasted the whole night till the next day!! A very elegant soft powdery floral and liquerish?! smell.It opened up with iris but it was not just the iris..

In the whole night i got a liquerish cocoa blended with leathery vanilla in the drydown...Just magic..It was a flowery and sweet alcoholic vibe with leather at the back.I honestly didn't receive any lipstick note as i had first sniffed on a sample and i also got a lot of leathery vanilla blended with cocoa and liquer note,which was noticeable in my nose.

So Generally in the hot weather,the perfume worked excellent,i didn't find it feminine at all but 100% masculine and i also received compliments from the girl i was with..I can't be more happy and proud from this gift i just found my signature perfume. ;-)

Knows2Nose
Knows2Nose

Iris on it's own is a feminine floral scent. But when you add masculine scents like leather and amber, you can pull it off. The same can be said about rose. 1 Million Intense and Cartier Declaration Soir are excellent rose scents that you can get away with.

Vexel
Vexel

Dior Homme has quickly turned into my go-to cologne when I don't have anything else in mind to wear. I'm not familiar with the pre-2014 incarnations but I don't see how someone would call the current formula girly. An extremely high-quality orris accord is the star of the show but I also smell the sage and bergamot vividly. As it dries more of the vetiver and leather come forward but I consider it fairly linear other than the fleeting bergamot.

It just always seems appropriate. Works great for work, works great for going out, etc. It's on the pricier side of mainstream fragrances but the quality difference is extremely evident. I always feel like a million bucks wearing it. Longevity is in the 5-6 hour range for me and sillage is reserved.

ninotatamena
ninotatamena

Beware lovers of dior homme.One of the best scents of the millenium is now ruined from unbelieavable reformulations and restrictions of EU.I have a batch from october 2013 and longevity and projection is only for an hour!!!!the scent was awesome before may 2013 (unisex,innocent high quality,good sillage and projection).Powdery iris now is lost and all u get is a smell like a cheap coconut sun-tan.Shame on dior.U can try dior homme intense(reformulated almost in every batch but its more close to the vintage without the huge sillage of course).Reviews must change over the years cause they dont reflect the new aroma.i use it as a room spray now.So dissapointed and angry:-(

camposg
camposg

This is absolutley beautiful. It is way better than the original and honestly I never thaught that possible for a reformulation or had ever seen that. It is a little pricey still but if you have the money then spend it. This is HIGH quality juice on top of the game. I cant comment on performace because I sprayed on my wrist and then layered it by mistake...25 and up, preferably daytime but can pull off at night with no problem. 10 out of 10

duy.nguyễn
duy.nguyễn

i don't know why it's poor longevity for me :((

SNOOPY
SNOOPY

This one has so many flankers and reformulations that it actually puts me off buying it.
The notes are different in all of them and yet they smell similar although the differences can be quite distinct.I liked the original,thought sport was revolting but there are just too many flankers!
Interesting how successful products always get changed or taken off the market but something nobody wants will be produced for decades.

degauss
degauss

Infatuated from the first moment of exposure. Had to restrain myself from purchasing immediately. And a good thing I did because it helped me weigh this thing from all sides. The possible issue is that it's two fragrances hiding in one bottle. The want-give-now opening of sharp, wet woods - the sage, lavender, vetiver, patchouli and leather are divine. But they last for exactly three minutes. Then the iris emerges. Takes over. Stays. And that is that. It's a natural, unspeakably sophisticated, beautiful iris. I smell like iris flowers. Which is, no doubt, lovely, but I don't understand why it had to trade the opening for this. Why not produce two perfumes instead? Though, perhaps, this is my preference for linearity (read: dependability) manifesting itself. Is this a genius, subversive effort to acclimate men to smelling like flowers? A peculiarity of skin chemistry? Well, whichever it is, I do believe I'm going to get myself a bottle, anyway - even if a bit conflicted, I do relish the scent, even in its unreliability, even if I'll be confined to only ever using it on clothes/hair to keep it more stable.

Hemphead
Hemphead

A very nice warm and creamy scent i really like this a lot BUT i wasn't happy about the longevity i had to re-apply every 3 hours just to smell it on me. The batch no. is 3U03 does anyone here know if this batch is ok or not?

victoria.mei1992
victoria.mei1992

Strange that was launched in 2011 but that video with Pattinson is just 2013 year... Maybe someone could explain that?

ImAddicted
ImAddicted

I love this scent, but I guess it's not so versatile. I can only see it as an office scent. It's powdery in a goos way, great longevity, strong but not overpowering sillage and the iris note is very sophisticated. But I can only see myself wearing it to the office.

cmbathyal
cmbathyal

A modern classic in making. This is a different genre and started a new game.
I personally don't care for lady lipstick vibes.. definitely a must try on skin. A warm and upscale frag and can we worn year around.

birkanalayci
birkanalayci

Love or hate, it is your choice. But this is a phenomenon that indicates classiness in modernized masculinity. Maybe you can call it a fashion trend. But the time that we are at is exactly signs there.

bart4543
bart4543

DHI will get you more notice (better longevity and projection)and is more liked among novice nose, however i find that the original dior is better blended and composed. Excellent mix, creamy smooth, classy with good longevity but intimate projection after few hours.

abcmore
abcmore

too powdery and sweet almost reminds me of Talcum by yves de sistelle, a woman's scent.

JohnB2014
JohnB2014

Feminine? No way… This is a masterpiece 10/10!!

Girls love it on guys.

Marco Cappelli
Marco Cappelli

I bought it after using Aqua di Gio, the fragrances are radically different and I have actually noticed it. The smell is pretty good, I like it, the worst thing of this perfume to me is its longevity. It doesn't really last long and I can definitely tell it basing on my passage Aqua di Gio- Dior Homme. As for the bottle the design is amazing, not the most original in this world, though. Give it a sniff if you have the chance, the scent is unique.

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

I would say this is a daring kinda somewhat formal romantic? scent, it's not a macho scent (but I have some of those too), it's not at all dirty, but is almost gourmand-ish but more rooty purple-ish floral with a little spicy-ness, and very smooth and buttery texture. It definitely has some flirt. It is definitely a lady pleaser and absolutely does smell very very nice. I have worn it several times and it also has a special complexity to it - I think it is that little zing of patchouli in it or maybe it is cardamom or lavender? I don't know - it is that woody sparkle that flits around.

I think it is a daring scent because of it's smell - and I kinda like that. some people say it is "feminine", and maybe it leans a little that way, but when you smell actual feminine perfumes - then this - it is definitely masculine. I have been told it smells delicious.

bobosan336
bobosan336

Very nice feminine scent - sweet flowerly bomb. Vanilla floating in a sea of iris (or lipstick), all of that swimming in an ocean of sugar.

Not suitable for any man, no matter how effeminate. Some start with or end with or hint at feminine florals - this is feminine throughout. Blind buyers do not fret - your significant other will almost surely like it so you can gift it to her and you will love it on her.

mcaldow
mcaldow

For me, this fragrance is perfect. It's feminine, but any man can wear this and the run down is superb on my skin. It last for a good 10 hours on my skin, but the sillage dies down a little after about 4 hours. I love it and I can't go without this one!

jiujitsuhero
jiujitsuhero

I love this cologne. as soon as i get paid another big check I am going to purchase this. It starts off kind of lipsticky(if thats a word) it has a great dry down, with the Iris and Cocoa. My GF loves it when shes next to me and she has her head on my chest.

raihan.nudhar
raihan.nudhar

it's match for under 25 ?

burgundyaltima

Last all day long!! ..very feminine
top notes remind me of: lacoste pour homme
mid notes: f by salvatore ferragamo or Ysl La nuit (without the powder)..
dry down: gucci pour homme ii or hanae mori HIM......
as it progress from opening to mid it gets spicier until the final dry down which is very warm and sensual so similar to gucci pour homme ii

Antares811
Antares811

Smooth, slightly sweet, warm and sexy. If you like this kind of scents (not fresh and citrusy), this is a must have. Very longlasting. I love it on a man.

redboxmike
redboxmike

Very very dense fragrance. Smooth, but starts out with a rather "loud" opening. Rich stuff though. Can cause headaches. Use sparingly. The balance is exquisite. The blend: very unique (you're not going to smell anything else like it--except for Dior Homme Intense of course). But seriously, a little goes a long way (generally, my recommendation for this stuff: one to the chest and one to the wrist--you don't need to spray both, just touch the wrists together; your ears too, if you like, touch them). Don't overdo it in the summer--if you plan on wearing this fragrance during the summer. Yes, part of the beauty of Dior Homme is its versatility. You can wear this fragrance anytime, anywhere. But wear it at night and you become "amazing". The notes: mainly amber and cacao; I don't get much of that iris/"lipstick"-vibe everyone's talking about. That's something more from the original formulation, circa 2005. I checked my batch code: it's from June 2013. So, reformulation for sure. Black stem too. But not a bad thing. I did my research. Dior Homme is one that actually did not suffer (too much) after several reformulations. As a matter of fact, the perfume snobs tell me the most recent reformulation (mine) is the closest to earlier versions. So good. Right? This fragrance screams of class and Paris and french perfumes and Jude Law and Robert Pattison and tuxedos and super-model women and fashion and high-class. Just a solid compliment-getter, for sure. Smells very different up close too (ie: while you are wearing it). Try something: have someone spray it on, wait a few hours, have them walk by you, in the opposite direction, and sniff the air. What you will get is this this magnificent & gentle scent-bubble of pure bliss (& envy). You'll get your compliments. I guarantee it. (I imagine Dior Homme Intense to be much more dark and smooth). Works best on textiles though. Depending on your skin, you can get maybe 7-12 hours. Your tux? Go ahead and spray that! Just don't overdo it.

polly golightly
polly golightly

le primissime note, iris e cacao, somigliano incredibilmente a quelle chanel n.19 poudree, e sanno di carota (sic!) poi ci si assesta su magnifiche note legnose, miste a cuoio e vetiver. veramente notevole

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

Absolutely love this perfume. I'm a woman and I love wearing this, but I could easily see this on a man too. And boy, do I wish there were a bevy of men around me that can pull this perfume off! Because they are going to be smooth, definitely stylish, a little quiet perhaps but full of confidence, not necessarily handsome but alluring, and most definitely cerebral or just an absolute lush. :-) This perfume personifies that kind of allure of a person who is a contradiction, a little unpredictable, someone that can't be described in a few words, and someone who's been through stuff! Regardless of who or what gender wears it, it is first and foremost sexy in the most elegant sense of this over-used word. This is also one of those rare perfumes that I bought because it just smelt so damn good rather than fitting a certain mood or occasion or liking a particular note. Try this one at least! It's just beautiful and if you are the type that avidly seeks out pleasurable sensations, I think this is right up your alley.

landon1
landon1

The man that could pull this off? Classy, smart, maybe a little misunderstood. Can pull off a tux as easy as possible, but prefers to not be seen. But will always be the first to be noticed..

heartcooksbrain
heartcooksbrain

This stuff has been reviewed to death, with the majority giving it high praise for being unique, having solid performance, and just smelling good. In my opinion, and on my skin, all these are true. The main criticism this receives is people saying it smells way too powdery and feminine. I only own the latest reformulation, and I have to say that I disagree. To me, this doesn't smell feminine, especially in the dry down. It's a different kind of masculine, but it's not something I would imagine to smell on a woman. I'm addicted to that initial blast of iris, which also reminds people of a tube of lipstick or a make-up bag. That description would lead one to believe that it couldn't possibly be masculine, but there's more to this than just the opening iris which I love. This fragrance is one that changes quite a bit from first spray to the dry down. The iris is still there the whole way, but it gets really toned down, and the cocoa along with leather come to the front, which gives this a very gourmand like feeling to me. It's very smooth, and the way the iris is balanced with the cocoa and leather just gives it a special smell. This is not your run of the mill, powder smelling cologne. It's very unique and extremely versatile. I think this can be worn for just about any occasion, although its elegance is probably best suited for special times. Wonderful fragrance that I'll always have in my collection.

deda147
deda147

I really wanted to love this one, but my skin sure doesn't! On paper it smelled lovely, I don't have to elaborate on that part, just read the other excellent reviews written for this fragrance.
The opening notes are lovely, but it turns into a cloying, headache inducing mess when the middle notes start to appear. My skin really amplifies the amber note, along with the leather and cacao notes. The iris is, sadly enough, not the main star on my skin. It stays like this until the drydown. Longevity is excellent and sillage is also quite strong. I'm glad I didn't blind buy this one! The Intense one also doesn't work for me....

sdcga161
sdcga161

I get it. I finally get it. I tried DHI first, and I didn't know quite what to make of it. The waxy/lipstick note was so prominent that I could not imagine anyone smelling it and thinking it was pleasant, or something you would want others to smell on you. But I never gave up on it, probably because I kept reading such rave reviews on all of the fragrance websites. If the vast majority of people are saying something is good, as seems to be the case with DHI, I'm willing to give it a second or even third look, even if my first impression stands in contrast.

I bought this bottle today at Sephora, and I now begin to see where all the hype comes from. I'm about 45 minutes into the dry down, and the rich powdery cocoa note smells simply wonderful on my skin. The waxy vibe is gone, and I'm left with this luxurious, deeply aromatic smell that brings a smile to my face. I don't know of anything else that smells like this. After spending the morning fragrance shopping, I can't tell one citrus or aquatic scent from the other, but this one certainly makes an impression.

Lovely, lovely fragrance.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Good and elegant fragrance, but nothing mind blowing. The iris makes it smell like rubber on me (in a nice way), similar to that rubbery smell you get in Midnight in Paris and Bvlgari Black.

I hear this one is the day time version of the Dior Homme Intense version (mostly suitable for night time)

aleksandar.dragas6

I finally got it today and I must say that I like it better than intense version! Just because it can be worn all year and it has something really pleasant! masterpiece 10/10

marcelopcr
marcelopcr

Unfortunately it's one of those that I bought because of the hype.
To me, it smells like lipstick and make up. Iris just isn't a note that I like. Smells too feminine to me, but I can see why some men enjoy it, just not my cup of tea.

Pyrzy
Pyrzy

Had this scent for about 4 months now and used it in a lot of occasions.

The scent starts pretty powdery and fresh, but soon goes down into a sweet iris, cacao and lavendel scent. The leather gives it a nice backone, but I can't really smell it on it's own. It is powdery, sweet and kinda feminine, but if you are good with yourself you can pull this off. Even if it is a little feminine it still smells amazing.

I can't argue that I am in love with this scent. Pure perfectin on the blend and scent.

3-5 sprays is all you need.

Longevity gives me something between 7-10 hours depending on the circumstances.

This is amazing stuff and the more I smell this, the more I like it. It it blend perfection.

9.5/10 from me!

Update: Learned to love it more and more, one of my all-time favourite colognes. Absolutely amazing stuff.

VV chocolate VIBE I meant VV

beavisbonce

I'll just add to the party the chocolate fibre really takes several hours to appear properly and when it does it puts in mind of mugler angel. However the "airy" iris? Vibe keeps it edible without coming across sickly. As a whole this fragrance is like nothing else in my collection of about 50. Recommended as at least sampling

Manny44
Manny44

Marciu...I think you may be on to something...because I have the first reformulation and there is a prominent (gorgeous) citrus accord that is delicious and definetly not bergamot.

Edit: Actually...I was wrong. My bottle, of which I am sooo fond of, Is from August of 2009 and therefore The first formula.

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

This might sound a little off-subject, but it seems like this is one of the fragrances Darren Hayes (singer) wears.

Marciu

Does anyone share my thoughts like there are THREE versions of Dior Homme?

1. First one - vintage - produced from 2005 to April 2011. Silver tube and silver collar. Smells very lipsticky - the potent and prominent iris note. Cardamom in middle notes.

2. Second one - first reformulation - produced from April 2011 to April 2013. Black tube and silver collar (looks similar to the vintage DHI to me). Iris toned down, more herbacious and citrusy opening, much more prominent cocoa note. Drydown smells like a milk chocolate to me. Dior has removed cardamom from it.

3. Third one - second formulation - produced from May 2013 'till now (from batch code 3S01). Cardamom again in the notes breakdown, but this time in the top notes(instead of middle notes). Smells a lot more similar to vintage DH than the reformulated one...

MeThePerson
MeThePerson

I have to add my overall impression of this fragrance because it sits in my psyche as a huge emotional memory- with no valid reason in connection with the notes. I first took a hit of this fragrance just after it had been released and ever since I have been trying to reason why it has the effect it does. I cannot smell this fragrance without thinking with the utmost fondness of my departed grandfather? Given that he passed a good two years prior to the original formulation creation(which I am not familiar with) you can understand why this is such a mystery to me.
Bear with me as you will see the following is an explanation of the fragrance and the consumer who chooses it in my own romantic, odd way.

My grandfather was a true gentleman, courteous, kind, patient, generous and sometimes brooding, he came from humble beginnings, but was an achiever

Early before sunrise, following a traditional horsehair brush and bare razor shave with rich foam, there came, freshly ground and brewed, smooth aromatic and intense coffee, with thick cream stirred in gently, assaulting my nose before he wrapped up warm and headed to his familiar workshop whilst taking his first tobacco hit of the day.
He then became enveloped in manly undertakings, workshop, nature, fire but always with an air of refinement, education and attention to detail with an underlying elegance.
The heart of his day was working at the wood shaving covered, linseed oil soaked, oak and pine workbench, littered with various woods which would later form various finely crafted toy guns cars and yachts for an only grandchild. Love and nurture poured into these trinkets which would form the attitude of a new generation. Following the continued strong creamy coffee's and tobacco hits of the day there is the invariable smoky bonfire residue that clings until bedtime, still the energy and warmth to read a bedtime story to the child, the rhythmic and perfect spoken English captivating the I imagination until the relaxation wears into sleep and the next day.

Still with me?
Wierd, right?
That's how I interpret the notes from memory and how they translate into this lasting image, it's what makes me think of a timeless English Gentleman, charismatic, straightforward, both ready to hold a door open for, and defend a lady's honour at a moment.
Classy, masculine and steadfast. You can't help but respect him/it even if not an individual you wish to associate with.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

There are two entries for Dior Homme... I think it's this one that I tried today as I don't smell any cardamom.

Anyway... This is a very good scent. A real charmer and a good compliment grabber, this perfume is perfect for a night out for single guys not planning to keep it that way!

It starts out citrussy for just only a few seconds... The blast of citrus is really sharp... Then it starts to dry down into a chocolate and lavender smell before the iris comes out and steal the show. Finally, this scent finishes off with a leathery iris smell and with a touch of soap brought by that perfect touch of vetyver.

Dior homme is very good, with high quality and good projection/longevity... However, Dior homme intense is still my favorite from this line as it's stronger, richer and deeper with more iris in it and a good vibe of vanilla which I love.

burgundyaltima

I believe this is the one i smelled at sephora..smells exactly like lacoste pour homme..very soft and sensual..unisex too

osiris5
osiris5

This perfume has in the end some specially familiar scent. It is classic and it smells very distinctive.
When i read those guys who complain that it is to female or a female perfume, i laugh. Because perfumes have no sex and gender! it is just cultural based and nothing less or more.
Dior Homme is one of those big perfumes that combine notes that we say are female or male. And all big perfumes are always unisex. That is what i see in all reviews. This perfume has class and style as is just what it is a good perfume that has no gender.
In it the notes are more floral like the iris (and for some guys female) or aromatic like leather (for some guys male notes). To say it is like lipstick or too female i don't get it and I think it is too subjective and too cultural based machismo thinking.
I think it is a well balanced perfume with a nice base. In the beginning it is an explosion of much notes and very sharp. In the dry down and especially in the base it opens up to its greatness. I myself prefer the DH Intense because it is more balanced. Its longlivety and projection is good.

Kattmatte
Kattmatte

I bought this for my husband a year ago, and now it is his signature scent. Very well balanced, masculine and still a hint of flowers. Not just a metrosexual scent… my husband is a biker.
A note on a strange "side effect": The cat just adores Dior Homme!

Aleccsei
Aleccsei

My first designer fragrance and probably my first big love.

Dior Homme is probably one of the classiest and most elegant fragrances that there are out there. It embraces you with its soft wooden notes and puts a heavy armour of elegance around you. Like an expensive 3-piece-suit, it belongs (in my opinion) to everyone's wardrobe.

One of the kind. To the people who haven't tried it yet, I can only recommend it.

Windy1971
Windy1971

Hated it when I first bought it, but now is one of my top ten or better said one of my top three
A keeper !!!

Aardwolf
Aardwolf

This is a great one. I am a woman, I love it on myself and I would love to smell it on a man - it is a fragrance for anyone wanting to smell good, not per se men or women. It is like the oil-based perfums of the Middle East, which are in general also not gender specified.

Jay T
Jay T

Deux mots viennent à l'esprit, la qualité et lisse. C'est un parfum bien fait.
Je pense qu'il est un peu féminin, mais je ne m'inquiète pas. Je souhaite elle a duré un peu plus longtemps, mais j'ai reçu un compliment la seconde je l'ai mis sur.

Daniel.Friedrich42
Daniel.Friedrich42

I got a sampler of it, wore it till it ran out and went to get a full bottle afterwards.
After about 1 1/2 weeks of wearing, here is my full review.

Scent: starts of fresh, herbal and shiny with sage and bergamot and a bit of lavender.
There's already a bit of the waxy/powdery from the iris and also some leather-like quality at the start.
The top-notes fade rather fast with a bit of sage sticking with me.
Scent gets warmer with cocoa and amber arriving and hints of green patchouly and vetiver from the base.
For the first 45 mins I definitely understand the make-up bag/lipstick assosciation(obviously the iris and the leather) but it's high-end make-up in a very expensive leather pouch if you ask me.
The iris tones down a little afterwords. The scent still is powdery and a little waxy but not as much anymore.
For most of its lifetime DH is a mix of cocoa, patchouly, vetiver and leather with the iris serving as a carrier to make it smooth and buttery.
The amber sweetens the cocoa a little making it more chocolatey than bitter. A touch of gourmand in the heart but not nearly sweet enough for a full gourmand scent.
Once it hits the base it's very green and earthy but with a leathery and skin-like texture to it.

Performance: Just like Dior Homme Sport this hit jackpot on my skin. I guess iris and vetiver are responsible for that since they are in both scents and both notes tend to work very well for me.
Last about 10-12 hours even in warm and potentially sweaty enviroments. Projects about arm's length and a little extra.
Like with Eau des Baux the projection isn't very far out there but is strong in the short range.
I can pick it up on me for a good 8-10 hours which makes it a very comforting and blankety kind of scent.

When and where:
Imo it can be worn year-round but for summer it should be used more for nighttime(too warm for the days) and in winter you might want something a little stronger for the night while it still makes a great scent for winter days.
Great for both formal and casual wearing but imo more for dress-up-casual than just hanging out or going to a regular bar or diner.
Very elegant scent that to me screams for black and more fancy clothes. Not a t-shirt&jeans kind of fragrance.
Definitely more mature overall and i'd say 25 and up.

Compliment-factor: 50/50. Some people love it, some think it could be a little too feminine. But everyone agrees that it's very well made though.

I love this fragrance but some men won't like it because of the feminine/metro touch. You need to be comfortable with yourself to pull this off, it's not your typical fresh/sweet/spicy crowd-pleaser and it won't help you come across as more manly.

DH is about class,smoothness and sophistication for men who have enough self-confidence to begin with.

Alvinsii91
Alvinsii91

Dior Homme was my first purchase and always been my signature scent. When I am not sure about what to wear, Dior Homme is always the first to pop up in my mind.

Dior Homme is said to be a very feminine fragrance as people often claimed it smell like women make-up bag or lipstick? But, I would said this scent becoming its uniqueness. Dior House is very daring in delivering DH which redefinite the commercial masculine fragrance. Instead of deliving fragrance that appeal to mass public, Dior House always tried to do something unusual and their effort did bloom successfully.

Dior House is not only produce great smelling juice and managed to give Dior Homme a classy and beautiful bottle in a deadly gorgeous box. The opening of Dior Homme is truly divine to my nose. It open with beautiful and warm iris, which is just wonderfully blend with cacao. It is powdery and very much floral-based scent which is uncommon in male fragrance. Then, the iris started to fade and tone down to background scent while cacao reverse the role and dominant in the scent. The dry down become powdery, creamy and sweet cacao. I would describe it as very sensual and warm chocolate vibe with slightly iris and noticeable leather note. The leather note is nor overpowering or harsh but very smooth and pleasant to my nose.

Overall, I would give Dior Homme 9 out of 10. It is very versatile fragrance that I think it can be wore whole years long. Its longevity to my skin is around six to eight hours and the projection is fairly well as well as silage.

twlahue
twlahue

Does not last as long and is not as strong as the original formula. Maybe this will be my Summer version, and I will save the original for Winter. Lucky enough to have 2 bottles of the original silver stem version.

neilvizuett
neilvizuett

One of those fragrances that you need to "understand to like them", at least it was like this for me. It´s not just like you smell it and you say: "Wow!
No. The first time, to me, it smelled like woods oil and thought "what´s so special about it?", I was disappointed. But now I´ve learned to like it, but those who don´t , just don´t like it when I wear it, althought some people have complimented it.

aleksandar.dragas6

@xhost well thank you very much! Then I will probably purchase it :)

xhost

@aleksandar.dragas6 - Yes. Particularly if you have DHI. Dior Homme is amore complex, more refined fragrance than the intense version, which you will probably enjoy more. To put it bluntly there are tons of occasions where Dior Homme Intense doesn't fit the bill and you would rather go with Dior Homme. Actually the only department where Dior Homme Intense is better than Dior Homme is in longevity. But that's not an issue since both fragrances last at least 10 hours on your skin. So yes, this one is Highly Recommended.

aleksandar.dragas6

Is it worth buying this if I have intense version?

yuresh
yuresh

is anyone here who gets this with dior homme? like me? i mean this juice lasts on my skin 10+ hours and smells great but after 2 hours stays close to the skin and does not project.......only if over apply and also o the clothes.....! but both DH and DHI just masterpieces......

GRAF
GRAF

Dior Homme is a great scent but I would like a little better longevity. I tryed Dior Homme Intense and stays more in my skin and has a better scent. But it is still a very good fragrance. Overall Dior Homme is a superb scent sweet, woody, warm in a distinctive way.

Juiceman 0331
Juiceman 0331

I just learned a very important "rule" regarding colognes today.
If you tried a cologne and didn't like it, try it again for the second time.
If you still didn't like try it again for the third and last time and if you still don't like it, it's definitely not for you and you can start saying "Not worth buying." or "This cologne is garbage!"

Now about Dior Homme 2011, alot of people was complaining on their reviews about the lipstick scent and those comments got stuck in my head. So when I bought (blind buy) this cologne and tried it for the first time, I was not impressed. All I could smell was the lipstick scent.

I really think my mind got focused so much on the negative lipstick scent from other people's posts and I was disappointed like many people.
It got to the point where I thought about layering it with Rochas Man to cover the iris/lipstick scent. I even asked my wife if she wanted it and after trying it for herself , she said yes. So, I gave it to my wife and it was already on her side of the collection.

I was still reading comments here on Fragrantica about Dior Homme and I always see the high love votes on it.
I said to myself that there is something that I don't smell from this cologne that other people loves and honestly speaking, I was bothered by it.
So, I took it from my wife's drawer and I gave it a second try but still the same lipstick scent.

After almost 1 month since my second try, I did my third try today and I was ready to give up and not bother anymore, BUT this time I didn't focused solely on the lipstick complaints, but instead I looked for the other scents like cocoa, leather, powder, citrus and other notes.

I was surprised to discover that Dior Homme is a great and complex scent and I was really enjoying the transformation on my skin and I was missing the other notes from my previous try's.

Learn from my mistake guys, because the first thing I did was to look for the negative/lipstick (which is not at all) from other people's comments I have read.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but my own opinion matters the most for myself.

I almost missed out on this great cologne, because I didn't let myself be the first judge and focused from other people's comment.

Remember: If you didn't like at first, try it again for the second time and then one last time.

My overall rating 8.5/10

EDIT 02/16/2014

This cologne just keeps growing on me. What started from dislike, to like and now love.
I just got the intense version and I have been comparing them both on which one is better for 3 days now.
In my opinion Dior Homme is much more complex and has more stages of transformation compared to DH Intense.

I even wear Dior Homme on daytime because it has a little citrus on the background of the cocoa which is fine for daytime.
Intense is much harder to wear during daytime, because the transfromation from iris to dry powdery cocoa just takes less than 10 minutes on me and vanilla sweet dry cocoa cloys me on daytime.

Intense is great parfum and I really love the more intense drydown of dry cocoa and little vanilla and it's great during nightime.
The longevity of Intense is ridiculously long.
I remember spraying my arm twice at the duty free at 7PM and when I woke up the next morning, the dry cocoa scent was still on my arm.

My wife loves DH over DHI and she's the real reason why I always wear colognes. If she loves a certain cologne from my collection, I tend to wear it more often.

asheble93
asheble93

Dior Homme by Christian Dior:

A modern floral that reinterprets my expectations of a masculine fragrance; Dior Homme seemingly teeters on the edge of an aromatic-floral and soft-floral(mainly for its spicy/dry opening and warmer more powdery heart). Its amorphous label helps reflect the House of Dior's nouveau experiment at producing a creative, brazen, and universally appealing scent for a worldly individual.

Opening with a citrus-cardamon accord (which floats just in front of the signature powder note from the iris), Dior Homme has a seemingly dry and aromatic opening, the dynamics of which are only reinforced by the presence of vetiver and lavender, with perhaps another herbaceous ingredient.

As mentioned, the main heart note, iris sits immediately behind the aromatic opening, much like the middle ground in a painting, it is the subject of the composition, around which everything else orbits. Because of iris' ability to create both powder and wood facets, Dior Homme also has a blonde wood tone.

Finally the scent is set against an amber/ semi-resinous background which makes for a warm and enveloping drydown without becoming constricting or sweet.

Overall Dior Homme is a superb scent that would make a beautiful addition to any collection. The House of Dior lives up to the standards it sets, and resoundingly achieves its vision of bringing the "avant garde" to mainstream, meriting the scent a 9.5 out of 10

SimplyOliver

I've been wearing Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense for Christmas. Literally got an overdose of compliments from family and friends... I believe that this is *the* perfect fragrance for the season. It delivers incredible performances even on my super dry skin, pleases a lot of people, and still manages to remain unique and to stand out from the crowd of mainstream fragrances.

A masterpiece, and a safe bet with great value for money.

jht4060
jht4060

Elegant, smooth, and refined in a distinctive way, Dior Homme has grown on me to the point of being a big favorite now. The top has a distinctive powdery-waxy lipstick note (iris) that doesn't smell that floral to me, but I think that is what people mean when they say the scent is floral (by the way, the scent comes from iris rhizomes, not flowers). This gradually gives way to a woody ambery cacao middle with some lavender (but little of the sharp floral lavender top, more like the silky smooth herbal middle note of lavender). Finally the lovely base adds a bit of patchouli and what smells to me like a good dose of white musk.

An elegant bottle containing a refined scent that is creatively distinctive without being in any way odd. You could wear this pretty much anywhere indoorsy except a sports bar, but then if your life is so empty that you frequent sports bars, perhaps you should take up perfumes. Vive la culture!

kazewayz

Where do I begin with this one? There's a lot of fragrance aficionados that love this juice, I for one am one of them. The main thing that every one kept saying was that it smells like a "lipstick/make up bag," well, maybe. My nose picks up iris of course, leather, cacao, vetiver, and bergamot. All these notes for some odd reason are welcomed by my nose, the citrus in here was well blended with the cacao, and the iris is orchestrating the whole scent. This is elegant yes, dark and light at the same time, mysterious, and sexy. It is versatile enough for night and day. For being an EDT it is excellent. It is citrusy, hence I prefer the intense version over this. Dior as always delivering.

torres71
torres71

Ovrnightr, You're Right! nice review!

Ovrnightr
Ovrnightr

This is a serious question.. How do so many men on here seemseem to know exactly what women's makeup smells like? I mean, the many kinds may have many kinds of different odors, but to say Dior Homme smells like makeup just seems a trite analogy at this point, adding nothing to the discussion and perhaps taking away from the overall review of this fragrance (I'm willing to bet people coming here to learn about this fragrance may find the ENDLESS comments about smelling like lipstick a bit off putting.)

That said, this is a beautiful EDT, much different from most mainstream releases. It's quite brave in its ambitions; woody floral musk is really just the best way to categorize this, yet each aspect to its utmost. I'm also a huge fan of the Intense EDP, and have a hard time deciding which I prefer. They're both good at different things: wear Dior Homme if you want to smell rich, virile, and casual; wear DHI if you wanna do that at night.

Good longevity (6+ hrs), nicely done bottle with excellent atomizer, really can't think of a single flaw with this one. 10/10

Naher
Naher

i didnt like it at first , now i love it

LANIER
LANIER

Her eyes were half closed in her trademark lets make love look. With lips which shimmied and shimmered in a lush Max Factor red lipstick, she seemed to be reaching out from the screen and all the way up to the second row in the third balcony of Radio City Music Hall. She was looking at him and only him.

“The French are glad to die for love.
They delight in fighting duels.
But I prefer a man who lives,
And gives expensive……”

Jules…..Jules….JULES!”

“Huh? What?” he mumbled half awake trying to figure out where she went?

“You are singing in your sleep again.” His wife said overflowing with three a.m. frustration. “Gentleman may prefer blondes but I prefer that you didn’t do showtunes in the middle of the night.”

“Sorry honey….” Jules whispered and waited.

A heavy sigh was her reply. He took quite short breaths until he could hear her low adenoidal snore. He turned over in the bed toward the glow streaming though the window of Manhattan after midnight.

“Hi!” She was tangled in white sheets and propped up on one elbow right next to him in the bed. “Who’s the grumpy tomato? She doesn’t like showtunes?”

He squinted and then rubbed his eyes.

“Well?” she said not in her breathy movie voice but in her own natural and beautiful voice, a voice melodic with a hint of melancholy and on the edge of laughter.

“ah….no she likes showtunes… it’s just that I can’t sing/”

“Nonesense! I think you sing like Frank.”

“Frank?”

“Sinatra silly!” she laughed and pulled the sheet up a little higher over her bosom, lifted her head to the left and looked over his shoulder. “You didn’t answer my first question, who’s the tomato?”

“Believe me, she’s no tomato she’s my wife.”

Was she really here he wondered. Did it really matter? Don’t question the night just keep talking.

“How did you get in here?”

“I don’t know.” She looked up at the sleep tossed lock of champagne blonde hair hanging down over her right eye. With a crooked kiss she blew it back into its cinemascope ready place. “I just turned over and here you are.”

“Me too!” His eyes wandered slightly. “Don’t you have anything on?”

She wiggled her shoulders and gifted him with that sleepy half lidded smile. “Just this sheet, and some perfume.”

They talked until the sky began to brighten.

At 6:30 the alarm went off and he woke up slightly dazed and a little dazzled. His wife moaned. He hit the buzzer and then hit the shower. While dressing for the office he remembered her from the night before and smiled. What a strange and somehow lovely dream it had been.

He absently picked a white Brooks Brothers shirt from where it lay folded with the others in the cedar closet.

There it was as real as sunlight and twice as lovely, a red lipstick kiss on the back inside of the collar. He put the shirt on . He could almost feel her lips brush the back of his neck. For the rest of the day he could smell the luscious Max Factor red lipstick kiss from Marilyn Monroe.

*****************************

Dior Homme is a man’s fragrance famous for it’s lipstick on your collar smell that trails and lingers about a man’s neck like the playful fingers of a beautiful woman. When you first put it on, it entwines into your hair and runs along the pulse points of the body in a warm sensuous touch that is both sexy and enticing. The amazing thing is how simply masculine it is and that is all about the Iris falling in love with a man’s skin.

The fragrance opens with a dry hills sage smell warmed buy a summer sun. This is layered over by bright bergamot citrus zing and clean fresh lavender. This hangs around for a very short time just setting you up for the main players.

From deep in the base opens smooth refined leather note that encases the middle notes like a finely made Dior handbag. Yes it smells a bit like the inside of a woman’s purse. And in that purse is a right rich, lush and powdery scent of make-up. This aroma specifically reminds me of the old Max Factor pancake makeup my mother used to wear in the 50’s and 60’s. The make-up scent is carried off by the Iris which is huge but not overbearing. Then with the addition of cacao there comes a waxy sensual lipstick smell which is enriched with a very deep and luxe amber. It is so well designed that I find myself sniffing my wrist repeatedly in the first of many hours of long wear.

I know what you are thinking, Lipstick, makeup and masculine? How can that be? It is all in the base where the testosterone resides and pumps relentlessly up and into the fragrance giving it its more masculine edge. Vetiver all rooty and rough mixes it up with a punch-drunk patchouli. These boys hit the dry down with the afore mentioned refined and long lasting leather, The three carry Dior Homme into a lingering finale. At this point I found that from time to time it would on occasion, rise up to envelop me as if my body heat had revived it from the dead long after I thought it was finished.

Dior Homme surprised me. I originally bought it to use as a layering scent, something to give oomph and panache to more understated scents like for instance, Dior Bois D’Argent. (That is a stunning combo created by my friend, Dior Fragrance Specialist Hilary Randall). But what I found it that this fragrance which is dearly loved by the online fragrance community is a stunning standalone beauty. It is complex in its simplicity, chic and sleekly masculine in its style, And it says something, that something is: I am Dior Homme, women love to wear me but they love it even more when you wear me.

Dior Homme Five Gold Stars *****

brum61
brum61

Just added this to my collection. A classic for special occasions and it makes me feel special wearing it.

barciu
barciu

for Dior Homme 2005 (O Polge version) lovers :
Dior Homme has been reformulated again - if you prefere Polge's version (first version) than Demachy's - find batch from may 2013 and later
It smeels like first formulation again (persisting plasticky lipsticky iris note and cardamon added, less amber and cacao) just beautiful.

xhost

@khfss - You probably have a fake.. I get 12+ hours of DH. (The reformulatin, that is).

sharmap14
sharmap14

i cant satisfy myself enuff with this one, i mean it smells like lipstick and somewhere it reminds me of my mom cuz she wud wear lipstick and it would smell like this. such a comforting and beautiful smell i've got real expensive fragrances but this has star quality and its my fav

usas
usas

Really like this one.

Sweet, warm fragrance. The topnotes have slight petrol/gasoline scent in them, which gives it a masculine character. Drydown is a bit more feminin, but not too much. Little bit powdery, still fruity.

8,5/10

Edit: Let me make that a 9/10.

candieland

@Jose Marcos I could not agree more with you. When a fragrance is "that" good it goes beyond gender. Too, I will for sure keep in mind your suggestions. Thank you sooo much. Carpe diem : )

hullhockey91
hullhockey91

A GREAT fragrance ONLY for special occasions. I do not believe this is an everyday scent. It's too "dry" to be used everyday. By that I mean it's not energetic enough to put me in a good mood if I used it everyday.

Using it twice a month though, is a VERY nice change of things. It brings a uniqueness needed for that necessary change-up of scents. Dont have anything like it. Love using it for special events.

Longevity is good (3-5 hours) - 5 sprays

Molko
Molko

I bought for myself, I think this scent is almost unisex and innocent. At first I feel lavender, herbal notes, little bit masculine, but after some minutes turns more genderless, soft powdery, leathery, hmm, pleasant and cosy. The final of the drydown similar more to Dior sport with powder.
15-30 minutes is intense, but unfortunately it becomes a skin scent, I need more sillage and strenght. On my skin doesn't last long, just 3-4 hours around:( Maybe I should buy the intense version. If this has more sillage could be my signature.
update: I'm so sad, I really-reallly love this smell, but fcking frustrating this low sillage. I wore today (no one felt it), when I arrived after 4 hours at home, I don't feel anything on my skin:( I put some cream on my skin, under the perfume to make more lasting, but couldn't help. What can I do? So expensive scent for this slight smell and waste of money. I know it's a new formula, made in spring 2013

DSauvage
DSauvage

Autumn has arrived, and winter is coming... Great times to wear Dior Homme.

Jose Marcos

@Candieland, if you imagine a cube, Dior Homme will be one of the three faces that you see. And, if you want to see what the whole cube look like, i mean, smell like, try Shalimar Parfum Initial. You will have Dior Homme+florals+baby powder. When I saw the first people saying that DH resembled Shalimar PI I doubted it very much, until I smelled the Guerlain scent. Dior Homme is just one of the sides of the quite complex Shalimar, and that's why I agree with you. They are both very nice scents no matter wheter it is masculine or feminine. They are just very nice scents. I wear them both, sometimes at the same time, if I want more intense iris/chocolate effect. Carpe diem.

candieland

As a woman, I was hesitant to put up a review of this out of fear that guys would for sure write it off if they saw that a woman was wearing it. Let me explain...I am in my 20s and I am very much feminine ;) but I really don't care for a lot of the scents that are geared towards my age group. I've never been one to full out wear cologne but I've always loved spraying small amounts of cologne on me just to smell it as a comfort scent. Even when I was little, I liked spraying men's colognes on my pillow. Trust me, it was completely innocent! It's just the scent of a man has always been a comfort to me.

I was trying out samples again when I came across one for Dior Homme and out of routine I sprayed a little on my wrist and went about my business. From start to finish, I could not keep my nose away. To guys...please do not be afraid to try this one out-out of fear that you will be seen as "less masculine" or whatever else the reviews were saying about it being "too feminine." This is one of the ultimate comfort scents to me. It is just amazing.

To me, I picture a guy wearing this who is not necessarily shy but he's not overly loud or in your face...but that's the thing, he does not have to be. There is something calm, very alluring and magnetic about him. He is silently beautiful and to me, that is quite powerful. He has a silky, buttery voice and he just has this smoothness to him. Don't be fooled though, because you can still pick up on a bit of danger in him...but in a good way.

I imagine a lot of women being attracted to this scent because there is something very "come here" about it. It in no way reminds me of anything in my makeup case, although I will not argue why soo many others pick up on waxy lipstick. My point is, whatever it is, it is not enough for me even as a woman to relate this to something I'd wear on my lips. This on a man, to me, is absolutely intoxicating. I do not feel there is an age limit to it because it is that classic.

With that being said, do not shoot down DH because of what I will say next: I ended up liking this scent sooo much that I bought a bottle for myself. I'd tested it on my body quite a few times before and loved wearing it at night before I went to bed. I noticed right away though that it was "calm" enough for me to pull off if I chose to really wear it. So, I actually ended up wearing it out for the first time yesterday. You have to remember that chemistry plays a HUGE role in how a scent reacts. On me, it is A LOT softer and sweeter than it is on guys I've smelled it on. So, I do feel a woman could pull this off if she is mindful of how much she puts on. I sprayed 1 spray on my haha "chest area" and dabbed a bit of that on my neck and behind my ears (total of 1 spray). I love that with Dior fragrances you have control over how much you actually want to apply.

To me, Dior Homme is in no way feminine but because of how feminine I am, I am comfortable with wearing it, it if that makes any sense. In the same sense, a guy wearing this should in no way feel emasculated, trust me. This on a guy is a major turn on. Funny thing is, guys reacted very well to it on me as well. It's hard to explain really but I don't think the guy I am seeing appreciated it very much. This is a very sensual smell so people will notice and appreciate it. DO NOT WRITE IT OFF or you'll be missing out on, in my opinion, one of the best male fragrances I've ever smelled.

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

I tried this multiple times before I recently purchased it, and I was a little turned off by it, not really because of the opening but for other reasons which I will touch on. The opening, which smells of lipstick was not bad of a smell, but it was just a matter of something smelling unusual. The dry-down had that iris and semi-sweet cocoa powder that just did not appeal to me mainly because it wasn't very masculine. And what about the vetiver and leather? Non existent, and to this day I can hardly detect these two notes.

Boy, was I ever wrong!

After giving this a try a few days ago when I purchased it, it grew on me unexpectedly. I never thought I'd love the opening of this stuff, but let me tell you that it is not as weird or feminine as you think, however it still does not smell masculine either. The heart has a beautiful buttery cocoa and iris combination that is very appealing. Like I said, the base notes are still very hard for me to detect. Dior Homme is much, much less feminine than you think it may be. It is a rather tame fragrance, which is not a huge concern for me, but it does last for 7-10 hours; not bad.

If you are like I was, give this fragrance multiple tries and I promise that you will be satisfied. If you still don't like it, then it just might not be for you. Now I understand the meaning of 'acquired taste' after trying this fragrance. I'm sorry I misjudged you, Dior Homme.

bet85
bet85

Did they reformulate this stuff again??!! Dior website says that they added cardamom as the top notes. A note that vintage Dior Homme had, but removed after. I'm going crazy...

FlashAdler221
FlashAdler221

I'm wearing this stuff today. I was really skeptical to buy it at first bcuz I knew it was the reformulated one but I figured since I've never smelled the original I wouldn't have much to complain about. I get compliments on this juice. It is a compliment getter. I'm so glad I made the purchase!!! I'm thrilled to have this in my collection.
This woman at work can't tell the difference between this and the original intense version. She loves them both on me.
If you've heard the hype for the original and are flirting with blind buying the original for the high price it's going for these days, do yourself a favor first. Go to Sephora and spray yourself with the tester of this reformulated version. Then, see what you think. This stuff works. It does it's job and does it well.

alessio l

Dear all, the reformulation has made the parfum more wearable and in a certain way more "commercial".

But, if i look to the other sde of the coin, i have to admit that i prefer this version, less rich iris and less floral-powdery.

In a certain way the new version is also a little more masculine (luckily).

I don't know why but this one is a malinconic parfum, addictive and for rainy-cold day, certainly the "Baudelaire" parfum.

Marciu

No, it's not a chypre. It's a woody-floral-musk fragrance. How come you find chypre in this? I'm shocked.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I get a brief and clear iris, probably some variance of the Biolandes molecule, or the Biolandes iris itself. Then, after ten minutes, the "lipstick" aspect that everyone talks about makes an appearance, and yeah, I'm not too enamored with that. This is another faux-chypre with miniature bergamot, a great big synthetic labdanum note in the heart, and some vague approximation of woody moss in the light patchouli/vetiver basenote accord. It's well made, it's all soft edges and subtle semi-sweet drydown stages, and it's all style over substance: this story goes nowhere. As much as I hate to say it, you're better off wearing a real chypre like Mitsouko than Dior Homme. At least with Mitsy you're wearing a piece of history. Dior Homme is just a cheaper, simpler variant of the same theme. (And yes, this review is for the reformulation.)

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

It's a matter of teste,i get it ,but to me this is not the masterpiece fragrance everybody's talking around.

Smells too much like make-up ,after 15 minutes it's less make-up and lipstick and more woody (smells exactly like new furniture),some chocholate and sweet!I just don't find this attractive or masculine.
On my skin it's weak,watery,no projection unless i sniff it and i've used on my arm like 5 sprays from a 2 ml sample i got from Douglas.
The projection is poor and it seems that the longevity it's also weak on my skin (30 minutes and i can barely smell something creamy,powdery).It's just weird how some ppl say this one stays for 8-10 hours on their skin while after 30 minutes or so i can bearley smell it on my skin...

*Update-2 hours later it's gone,not close to the skin,totally gone!
This one has the worst longevity i've tested from a designer fragrance.There are so many way,way better fragrances out there for that money!

Castor
Castor

I tried the latest version and differences are really subtle. I got it less intense, more of a skin scent, iris tuned down, chocolate up. Like a well-to-do version of A*Men a la L'Instant pour Homme.

It did not make me change my mind: thanks to it, I am confident wearing women's chypres and orientals. This could be for the ladies, hands down. Dior Homme? OK, good joke.

Please be aware I like it. I do mind the name.

Well, well, well

It seems that I smelled the new version today - batch code 3S01in my local Sephora. I immediately went to Douglas and sprayed also Dior Homme - batch code 2S01. So, both were from May, one exactly 1 year older than the other. They do smell different! Don't know, maybe I'm paranoid or else, but the newer one reminds me of O. Polge's Dior Homme SO MUCH! It had that transparent lipstick note right from the start and it lacked that bergamot freshness that I know from 2011 version.

So - I repeat - IF I get it right, the newest Dior Homme smells exactly like the oldest Dior Homme :D

Marciu

@josevancouver - thanks, but I guess you're talking about the 2011 version, which I know very well. I'm wondering if the smell would still be the same NOW in 2013, because the formula has changed again...

josevancouver

I owned the original Polge version and still have a decant of the original formulation that I can compare to the 2011 Demachy reformulation.

I like the new version better. I know many would disagree, but I found the original had too much iris. Yes, that made it unique and 'ground breaking' at the time, but I didn't find it as wearable as the new version. I also find that the new 2011 EDT version is better aligned to the new reformulated DHI. Now I can wear Dior Homme during the day and 'amp' it up with DHI in the evening if I go out. I find the newer version a little sweeter and I like how it is blended as I believe it is more wearable.

Marciu

Anyone who already sniffed the new version - please let us know if the fragrance itself changed anyhow or not... Thanks.

FragrantAl87
FragrantAl87

Sometimes there's a fragrance you can spray and know instantly that you have to get it. This was Dior Homme for me. I was happily smelling around a rival fragrance shoppe and was so intrigued by dior homme that I dropped the dime to get it right then. I feel at a slight advantage having never smelled a previous version, it made the whole experience new for me. And what an experience!

Opening: Divine. Blended bergamot right away gives way to a wonderfully powdery iris, with the smoky rich cacao and amber following closely and rounding out the body of the scent.

Sillage: Good. I would say 1-3 feet in an airy room on any given day. A lingering sweetness.

Longevity: Average. Lasts on me about 3-4 hours with dry skin.

Gripes: Hard pressed to find something here. Perhaps I wish it could stay a bit longer with me. But for the price its what I would expect.

Best For: Definitely early fall through late winter. Could be done on a summer evening, but I would say it doesn't have the right vibe. Its sweet cocao and leather are going to be great on a nice cool fall day.

Overall: I have a few in my collection that remind me of this one (specifically Armani Diamonds and A-men Pure Havane [which can be so strong I sometimes refer to it as "A-bomb"]) but I know why I like DH so much. The iris note really adds something special to it, and people notice that. Some people hate powdery, but I find it serene. YSL La nuit and Burberry Brit are already up my alley, but DH is a tamer beast. Smoother, more subtle; more elegance and less in your face leather and sweet. Just what I was looking for.

8.5/10

Marciu

@meama - OK, it's your opinion. I respect it, but totally disagree with it.

The new version is more dynamic, you can feel the notes changing, something's going on. Yes, it is sweeter indeed, MUCH better than Dior Homme Intense now.

New version: First spray and I feel herbal - citrusy freshness. It doesn't last long because the buttery iris comes in after about 20 minutes on my skin. Soon the cocoa-vanilla combo(yes, I feel a lot of vanilla here, it's not listed in the notes breakdown though) swoops in. Masterpiece! Base notes make it a little more masculine - especially leather and vetiver. Longevity - 10 to 12 hours. Sillage - big.

Old version : First spray and I feel a make-up bag/lipstick put straight to my nose. This lasts very long time and dries down to lipstick-cocoa-leather scent. I like it, but not love it. Herbs and citruses are not noticeable to my nose. Longevity - 6 to 8 hours. Sillage - big.

Somehow the new version is much more complex for me. It's also much better than Dior Homme Intense(current version, I don't know the old one though), which lasts shorter than EDT and is much more linear....

meama
meama

224) With the creation of Dior Homme in 2000 Hedi Slimane has created a revolution in men's fashion . Androgynous young rockers (anorexic ) wearing extremely tight costumes. This style was so successful that Karl Lagerfeld decided to lose 40kg in order to wear them.
To accompany this success there has been the launch of a new fragrance and as Hedi Slimane was a complete artist he worked closely with Olivier Polge for this fragrance reflects its sensibility. A revolutionary fragrance that would be a great classic. The iris, the more masculine of flowers, in the center, rooty and earthy, softened by chocolate. It was coated with aromatic notes, like lavender, sage and cardamom, and a very powdery background. It was as beautiful as a Guerlain, something very classic, a bit like a Grey Flannel married with Egoïste and remixed to match the hyper-sensitive masculine ideal of the new generation defined by Hedi Slimane. Material quality was amazing and Luca Turin ranked in the masterpiece perfumes.
If you have a bottle of that time, keep it safe.
That was before 2007 and the replacing of Hedi by Kris Van Assche as artistic director. Unfortunately he is not interested in perfumes and DiorH. begins its reformulations by Demachy (for many reasons but especially commercial, it was costing a lot of money due to its amazing quality).
Between 2008 and 2012 it was the worst period, all reformulations to be close as possible to the old version are missed imo. From 2012 this fragrance again approaching the old composition but only for the first hour because it is overdosed in vanilla amber and loud musk that stifles the iris (it's now like a mix with the flanker Intense). To compare with the old the opening is the same but it looks like we added a few drops of bleach in the bottle then base notes are very commercial as we find them today more and more in all fragrances for women.
To conclude this was a masterpiece among the most brillant, today it's like a old retired rock superstar with beautiful remains.

Avec la création de Dior Homme en 2000 Hedi Slimane avait créé une petite révolution dans la mode masculine. De jeunes rockers androgynes (un peu anorexiques) portant des costumes extrêmement étroits. Ce style a été un tel succès que Karl Lagerfeld avait décidé de perdre 40kg pour pouvoir les porter.
Pour accompagner ce succès il y a eu le lancement d'un nouveau parfum et comme Hedi Slimane était un artiste entier il a étroitement collaboré avec Olivier Polge pour que ce parfum reflète sa sensibilité. Un parfum révolutionnaire qui deviendrait un grand classic. L’iris, la plus masculine des fleurs, était au centre, un peu racineux et terreux, adouci par du chocolat. Il était enrobé de notes aromatiques, lavande, sauge, et de cardamome, et un fond très poudré. C'était beau comme un Guerlain, avec quelque chose de très classique, un peu à la manière d’un Grey Flannel marié à Egoïste et remixé pour correspondre à cet idéal masculin hyper-sensible de la nouvelle génération définie par Hedi Slimane. La qualité des matériaux était incroyable et Luca Turin le classait dans les plus grands parfums qui soient.
Si vous avez un flacon de cette époque, gardez le précieusement.
C'était avant 2007 et le remplacement de Hedi par Kris Van Assche à la direction artistique. Malheureusement ce dernier n'est pas intéressé par les parfums et le DiorH. commence ses reformulations par Demachy (pour de multiples raisons mais surtout commerciales, il coutait très cher de part son incroyable qualité).
Entre 2008 et 2012 c'est la plus mauvaise période, les reformulations pour que le parfum ressemble le plus possible à l'ancienne version sont toutes ratées selon moi. A partir de 2012 ce parfum approche à nouveau de l'ancienne qualité mais uniquement pendant la première heure car il est surdosé en vanille ambré et en musc qui étouffe complètement l'iris. Ce sont des notes de base très commerciales qu'on retrouve de plus en plus malheureusement dans tous les parfums pour femme aujourd'hui.
Pour conclure c'était un parfum génial, aujourd'hui c'est un parfum de papy rocker à la retraite avec de beaux restes.
J'espère que Fragrantica ne va pas nous refaire une fiche à chaque fois que Dior va relancer une pub pour ce parfum.

Marciu

@bonacosta30 - exactly, I'm very curious about this. IMO cardamom in the original gave some interesting spice, but it was almost totally covered by iris and cocoa, however it was slightly noticable.
I like the reform from 2011 better, because I love the smell of milk chocolate and that is what of the smell of Demachy's Dior Homme reminds me of.

I wonder how would his version with the addition of cardamom smell like.

mikkov26
mikkov26

One of my all-time favorites. Dior Homme is very smooth and powdery. It smells very much like a lipstick or some other make-up product. There's nothing alcohol in it's opening like in many othereven excellent scents.

Like I said it's very smooth. Although Homme is very powdery it's still very masculine fragrance.

To me the original Dior Homme and this one are very similar. A brilliant scent from Dior and I'll give it 10/10.

Marciu

OK. I love this version while I like the vintage one. This one is sweeter, stronger IMO and lasts longer on me.

It opens up with a blast of herbal freshness - bergamot mixed with mainly sage, with a hint of lavender. Interesting, but completely different from what this fragrance morphes to later. While it dries down, a huge mix of cocoa and vanilla (I do get a lot of vanilla here, while it's not listed in the official notes) comes in. I'd say - it's the best cocoa scent in mainstream - at least for me. I almost forgot about the main ingredience here - iris. It definitely shines, but I have to say that it's a bit hidden comparing to the vintage one. This iris combined with leather gives a feeling of that famous lipstick or make-up bag note. Iris comes in along with cocoa, after the herbal beggining.

Longevity is superb - 10 to 12 hours with big sillage.

No matter who is a creator of this, from now on it will always be in my perfume wardrobe.

PS I wrote about it too, but as far as I can see, this coment was deleted too. I'm quite curious if it's going to be reformulated again, because I saw cardamom again in the official notes on Dior's site.

Anyone could tell me if I'm wrong or right? I'd appreciate. Thank you.

10 out of 10 from me. Bravissimo.

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

Could you guys do this over PM please? You're ruining the reviews section...

frog23
frog23

Little puzzeled with this scent. I wanted to like it, i was told it was a "masterpiece". Its not for me. I get the make up bag smell that it is confused with. Powdery floral scent. Some bubble gum. It's not masculine and that's not a problem, i can see why some men would wear it. I like clean crisp scents and this is powdery scent to me, that leads me to probably give this to my wife. I don't hate Dior Homme, it's just not for me.

marceldijkman
marceldijkman

I really need somebody to explain this one to me. I smelled it at the shop. I just got a combination of cucumber and crayon-smell out of this. I feel puzzled.

weasel
weasel

anyone knows if this one will be reformulated ? at the dior site the new advertise with Rober Pattinson they list in the notes "Cardamon from Guatemalan"

josevancouver

I love this fragrance. Yes, the reformulated one (I owned the 2005 version previously). This version has the iris pared down but it still has that intoxicating scent that I love. I can't help sniffing my wrist over and over again when I wear Dior Homme.

I like the reformulated version as it's more 'aligned' to the reformulated version of Dior Homme Intense (I will admit the previous DHI was a bit better). In other words, I can wear Dior Homme during the day and spritz on some DHI if I am going out later on that night with more of an 'intense' vibe.

Love this stuff and yes, get lots of compliments on it.

kaysee
kaysee

why did they change the motherfucking formulation? the original was waaaaay better. This one lasts about 2 hours on me, while the original lasted about 12. So fucking frustrated.

parfumfetiche
parfumfetiche

I really dig the waxy iris note in this. However, it doesn’t smell like the one in Narciso Rodriguez For Him Musk (NRFHM) and Narciso Rodriguez For Him Intense (NRFHI), which I don’t quite like. Quite linear and doesn’t change much from opening to dry down. Although marketed for men, I think this could easily be unisex. Overall feel I get from this is floral, powdery and elegant. Moderate projection and longevity on my skin. The scent gets 5 out of 5 from me. It’s unique and of niche quality. Christian Dior is one of my favorite designer houses. They take chances in their creations and most of them are masterpieces in my eyes. I love it!

Fragrantguy
Fragrantguy

I'm surprisingly in love with this fragrance, probably because it reminds me of "Uninhibited" by Cher. It does have a strong lip stick type of scent. Like the kind my mother wore in the early/mid 90's. It is a soft woody, but the floral gives it a more "glamorous" vibe. Much to girly for an old man, but to mature for a teen under 18. I like this either way.

passion4fashion
passion4fashion

Dior Homme,
He is a gentleman with...
class that wealth can't buy,
elegance that no one can imitate,
beauty that no make-up can achieve,
sophistication that no expensive clothing can surpass.

Every woman,
even man wish to get closer to him, wish to know him better, but the overwhelming mystery and elegance that
surround him make him unapproachable.

Sometimes a man can be as sensual and fragile as a woman, simply because he wants to be loved,
sometimes a man can be the most elegant,
simply because it makes him beautiful.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

The original formulation smelled really great... An unusually bright and crisp gourmand, really in a class of it's own. Sadly the reformulation is little more than a toned down version of Dior Homme Intense. I seriously can't tell them apart aside from DHI smelling slightly more chocolatey and having better longevity.

If you can find a bottle of the original silver stem pre-reformulation juice, don't hesitate to grab it. Otherwise, save your money and just buy the current formulation Dior Homme Intense.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I adore iris and leather notes in fragrance so I felt compelled to venture across the isle and test this one. I was not disappointed ! I truly appreciate the composition of iris in Prada's Infusion d'iris series and love it in La Pausa 28. I would compare this to infusion d'iris absolue meets l'Impact de pour un homme by Caron. There is a fougere sharpness, which is very suiting to a more masculine take on iris. First spray is sharp and green , the lavender and vetiver, but within minutes they heel and the iris is the most prominent note. I find the cocoa to be subtle and comforting and the leather here didn't show itself on my skin but I suspect it plays a supporting role to the iris, giving it a little more oomph. The lavender never totally left, which I really enjoyed because the lavender where I live is in full bloom making this feel quite appropriate. I want a bottle for me and the spouse to share!

lemmenkukka
lemmenkukka

Love this one, deeply. This is what MAN should smell like. Friedly, mature, sophisticated, caring - a real genleman scent. Thank you Dior!

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

Masterpiece. It takes a mature mind to appreciate this fragrance.

I've experienced some problem with longevity. I use 5-6 sprays on myself but it lasts only for 3 hours. I have to keep reapplying throughout the day and the juice is running out like crazy!

SimplyOliver

Dior Homme is a beautiful, alluring and almost versatile fragrance (a bit heavy for summer).

Nice floral notes sitting on a leathery cocoa base, it's really appealing and should I say, sexy ?

I currently own its Intense brother, which I love. Dior Homme Intense is basically a darker, sweeter and more musky version of Dior Homme, which on the other hand is dryer, brighter, and tends to be a bit sour'n'spicy (love this). Both are awesome.

Too feminine ? I don't think so. But it would make a perfect unisex IMO. And I happen to love unisex fragrances.

Lasting power is okay on my skin, but not close to Intense's performances. Still fair. DH gathers a lot of compliments from both women and men. Errrr, mostly women actually, which is great.

I haven't tried the "vintage" 2005 formula, but the current version is already very satisfying !

An excellent fragrance, worth at least the try, if not a full bottle.

vxgas
vxgas

You have to own it to love it

Yurpdod
Yurpdod

Sometimes when I'm forming an opinion on a fragrance I'll use the word "approachable" when I feel like a fragrance has warmth and a generally appealing quality to it. But I never really thought about how a fragrance could smell unapproachable. Enter Dior Homme. It's standoffish, aloof, and a little unfriendly. I can imagine this fragrance being word by a devastatingly beautiful prince who is vain, cruel, and rules his country with an iron fist. I love this effect and it's slightly disappointing that it becomes more conventional as it dries down. In this sense I wish it was a little more linear, but Dior Homme is striking, unique, and fantastic.

mtlimodriver
mtlimodriver

Wonderful warm cacao iris fragrance. could be unisex but it is masculine to the right wearer

hemp
hemp

this scent reminds me of when your girlfriend has just had a shower and washed her hair and you walk into the bathroom and there she is with her hair still wet putting on make up in front of the mirror. Thats what i think of when i smell this.
I'd prefer to smell this on a girl than wear it myself

kazewayz

Gorgeous. Well done. Different from a lot of things I've smelled. It has an initial lip stick smell to it, but it's sexy and powdery. Great for winter time or fall, or even a summer night. This is a masterpiece, and the intense version can only get better. Unisex? Perhaps. Bravo. Try it.

vitilsky
vitilsky

I'm not going to dislike this, because it has an interesting personality. But to me, it smells alright. I might change my mind later on.

changed my mind. it is definitely not for me, i hate such strong iris.

kellz1843
kellz1843

Absolutely beautiful fragrance. It took me a long time to appreciate it. Now I feel it is one of the smoothest I've smelled. Smells like others have mentioned, lavendar, iris, mildly vanillin dry down. I was planning a purchase but now I feel about this fragrance the same as I feel about prada amber pour homme intense. It is mature, kinda stoic even. I like my fragrances to have a fun aspect to them. They both feel like an older man reading books in a library on a Friday night/listen to Beethoven type of guy. I'm more like the go to a rave/hip-hop concert party all night type of guy. Beautiful fragrances, but I have a hard time feeling this serious. Life is to short. I like my fragrances kinda fun and flirty. I probably will purchase a healthy decant and enjoy from time to time.

pjd1234
pjd1234

dior homme two versions here black straw(reform) and silver straw(original). The reform version compared to the original has a very slight diffrence you really have to look for it to smell the difference in regards to longevity and projection the reform last longer and projects better i have two versions and love them both old version more on the unisex side i think because of the strong iris note as some cant stand it but i love i think its very unique the reform leaning towards masculine side id say because of the more prominant leather note on drydown both are very well made and unique. When i smell it i picture myself inside a first class donut shop in which the donuts are being baked fresh you know that aroma smell that comes out of the oven IMHO one of the best made perfumes certainly one of those perfumes that should be on your collection either you like it or not.
longevity 8/10 6-8 tops on my skin
projection 8/10 moderate projection if you want to go crazy on the trigger be my guest it will project.
uniqueness 10/10 nothing like it out there as far as i know.
overall smell 10/10 hands down top notch
price vs quality 10/10 cant complain dior quality baby
versatility cold days/nights summer nights(i do use it it works well)

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Too floral; I don't like the iris at the beginning. I also don't like the cocoa note. Not for me.

I agree with those who claim this is a unisex scent.

tna11
tna11

smell very similar to armani diamonds for him on my skins good scent, but would get armani diamonds instead cos cheaper then this

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

Definately unisex this one. As soon as I smelled it I thought Shalimar. Must be the powdery edge to it
So I walked home, with girls following me on my trail. I thought I was the Pied Piper. Im a girl, I'm not going to complain...

Jose Marcos

It is more like the previous version, not as dark nightfall like the intense version, I would say one need a pretty formal evening out to wear DHI. I live in a very hot country and on me two sprays last almost 24h, it survives many washes and a shower easily. As much as I love it I always seem to go heavy on the trigger, and that's between 2 to 3 sprays. It lasts forever and can get you complements even when you don't remember what you wore yesterday. But it just fantastic, haunting even.

kambelz
kambelz

Definitely not for everyone. I really like it, but it is pretty hard to find an appropriate situation to wear this. Same goes for A*Men. It does have a sort of feminine make up powdery opening along with the earthy iris, that gets sweeter and better smelling with the dry down. If it opened up like the dry down it would sell much better. It could easily be a unisex fragrance.

kkmathews
kkmathews

Comforting fragrance... stays for good time. Reminds of romantic evening by fireplace on a chilly winter

mikemuscles21
mikemuscles21

I love this one. And Im very picky with my fragrances. (They don't have to be expensive. I just have to like them. Having said that I'll pay anywhere from $100 to $2000 for a frag. )
Shopping in the Bay today I noticed this one looked different. So I tried the new formula and I loved it. I didnt realize it at first, because at first the only thing you smell is CARROTS! My friend said it smelled like PAPER. But i stayed with it,
and then it really started to pop. Much better. Rich, sweet smelling, masculine.
If I feel like making it more masculine I will stack this one with some of my other pure leather scents. Like "Leather by Intense Pheromone Cologne" or some of my others...

s_athena
s_athena

This (female) reviewer purchased a bottle as soon as she smelled it - back off, Sephora staff, I'm not buying this for my boyfriend! Powdery and definitely a unisex scent - man or woman, if you like, no, love, iris in perfumes, you HAVE to give this a try. It's the right balance of clean with earthy - cleaner and less soil-like than Hermes Hiris, but without the baby-powder clean diaper note you get with "clean irises" like Prada Infusion d'Iris. It's the smoothest, powderiest men's fragrance I've come across, and nowhere near as sweet as One Million, Spice Bomb or Le Male (blech).

Beware, though, the reformulation has given the fragrance more of a spicy kick that the original didn't have before. It smells like they added more cardamom and lavender to give it a sharper, more generically-masculine edge. They've taken the originality of the makeup-infused first version and forced it into the aromatic "this is what every man SHOULD smell like" mold. Do yourself a favor and try both if you can, but I personally like both versions enough to be content with the reformulation for myself - especially if I need to play the conservative office "woman in a man's world" game and have a bit of a masculine strength radiating from under my suit. With a meticulously-pressed shirt, naturally - that's true for BOTH sexes, especially with this fragrance.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Is my fav. Dior. Also one of the only florals, as a man, I can pull off. Very light powderness to it as well. This would be my choice for a distinguished tea with beautiful people. Not a evening party club scent, young ravers stay away...

Ddhuney
Ddhuney

The fragrance is one of a kind. It's absolutely adorable. The drydown is actually the best. After one hour it becomes smooth and the compositions reaches it's best aroma. However.....the fragrance also becomes weak. I really need to look for it weather i did apply it or not. If you spray 5 or 6 times it attacks your nose. If projection/sillage would be better, it would be worth a signature frag.

HazelMae
HazelMae

I have a lot of perfume. I think my main interest in perfume is that it's a completely legal mood-altering substance. I don't think that it is an instrument of sex appeal over and above other grooming methods. All that said, this stuff is for for a hot, sexy man. If you're a "bro", step away, this isn't for you.

Yeah, they reformulated it but the overall brew still works for me. Really really works. I hope Dior doesn't FUBAR it but their track record is what it is.

au naturale
au naturale

Now this I like.
Repeatedly passed because the opening was so boring.
I have now atoned for my ignorance with a 100ML purchase.

You know when you test a few fragrances, then leave the store, when out of nowhere you smell something that is exactly the standout scent you were searching for? Only problem is you don't know which one it was?
This was one of those scents for me, but at least I have tracked it down.

This juice evolves into an Iris/Lavender/lightly-spiced skin-scent. It's drydown scent smells nothing like the opening, and is classy as all-hell. You will wonder where it came from. The only negative for me is that it is very linear. The positive? It is a great line to be stuck on. If you are a fan of Lavender, you will definitely enjoy this one. The Leather keeps this fragrance grounded and refined, while the Cacao (not Cocoa, or Sweet Chocolate) balances with the Amber and Vetiver beautifully. I do not detect Bergamot, but actually get a hint of Vanilla Rum. The Patchouli brings the scent to the earth, but ever-so-gently. It is slightly floral, and slightly gourmand, but it is a refined masculine scent.

This would do well for a gentleman in a fine Bespoke Suit, but I can also sense the T-shirt/Blue Jeans/Carefree type could pull this off as well.

Versatile, dependent on a person's demeanor and attitude.
To me it simply says "I call the shots"... in about the smoothest way possible.

Smooth and Steady. Good Stuff.
4.3/5

Greg1965
Greg1965

One way or the other I had to get used to the scent. It was not "WOW" from the beginning, in fact I first owned Dior Homme Intense. I had a sample of that one and after a while I was comfortable with that but, strangely enough, that feeling went away. I tested the Dior Homme and the "good feeling" stayed. I like the scent very much, less lipstick than the Intense. I'm wearing it quite often now.

acronia_1989
acronia_1989

After a few minutes the smell is a fragrance Fusion of the scent of iris and Cocoa and Smells like toiletries .
»Stylish

مجموعا" دوستش داشتم

cookiechuy
cookiechuy

Dior Homme 2011.

Unfortunately i havent tried the Original Version. I am not a fan of reformulations, but since i havent tried the orignal; the 2011 version will do. I keep reading reviews and i can only say that the original version has a slight advantage against the 2011. FOr some people the orignal was a little bit more powerfull than the 2011 especially with the iris, but for some others the 2011 version is more balanced with the iris. My tie breaker will be havent smelled it yet, but will go with the original.

The truth is that with Dior, you cant go wrong. With both Faherenheit and Dior Homme, they are not as common as other scents out there it was risky but both are master pieces .

About the perfume... Wow i loved it, the initial blast is pure iris, its confusing becuase it smells like a womens perfume (lipstick, makeup, powder) at this moment it reminds me of (Shalimar Initials) But 5 minutes later the Bergomot enters and makes the iris more creamy -powder- citrus scent.
The best about this perfume is what happens later on, the scent stays on you, it is a scent that you cant stop smelling it is very addictive (it somewhat reminds me of Love in White by Creed) very soft, rich, creamy smell, it smells like HEAVEN.

It does not have much sillage, its more of an intimate perfume, but it does smell for hours 9-10 hours.

Trobador
Trobador

For me it's better than Intense version, much better!

Why they clear away cardamom in last version??? It was bad idea!

But the best is new Dior Homme Sport - so incredible scent of Iris!!!!!!!!!!! IMHO

SwagScent
SwagScent

This one is good, but the intense version is better.

Higgibs
Higgibs

I tried it in a duty free shop earlier in the week - about 5 short sprays on my forearm. I think you have to be a very confident sort to pull this off if you're a guy as the smell is not something traditionally masculine. But if you dress well, are secure in who you are and what you're about it's worth consideration as it's not a loud or arrogant scent. Wasn't very powerful or bombastic on my skin after the first 1/2 hour as it settled into a very smooth, sexy skin scent that had maybe 6" of projection which faded accordingly over time to just the right level (which is perfect for those certain settings, if you get my drift). Lasting power was extraordinary: I tried it on a Thursday mid-afternoon and on Friday evening after a morning shower, a day at the office, a 3 hour flight, dinner, a workout at the gym, 45 minutes in the sauna, another shower (!) I could still detect it where I had sprayed the sample. I think it's more of a cool weather scent. For sure this will be on my 'to get' list in the future.

lyrical
lyrical

To put it simple this scent is unusually delicious. At first sniff it appears soft sweet and pleasantly musky... But then it's followed by a sharp burst of something that excites and makes the mind curious to keep smelling. This stuff is like catnip! There is something lingering in the after whiff that makes your mind boggle trying to catch what it is. I'm still not sure what note it is and to be honest I don't care! Whatever it is I love it. This is a truly divine scent, truly sophisticated. I can honestly say I've never smelled anything quite like this. If you want to get noticed & followed (in a good way) I would say grab a bottle of this it's like love potion! I have to say also I do think a woman may be able to wear this in moderation and get away with it. It is deffinately masculine though so men don't let that comment steer you away from trying it, besides I may be just saying that to justify my plans to swipe it from my husband. It smells much better on him though. ; )

sdewet
sdewet

This reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show

alessio l

Not my type of fragrance.
But, is a very elegant and nobile fragrance, very powdery and floral not very masculine, you can find girls can love or hate it.
Like to wear this in London rainy days.
overall smell 8/10

ro0osy8
ro0osy8

I love it , i gifted this to my husband one year ago..

bladerunner
bladerunner

I had the version 2005 and now I have the version 2011. Really, can anyone explain me the real difference between the two flankers?
I loved the 2005 version and I love the version 2011 but I hardely dee the difference. A masterpiece, very good sillage e long lasting as well.

elvis944
elvis944

After finally getting this one, I'm really wishing I hadn't kept putting it off. Very nice!

hydor
hydor

A perfect present for my mom's birthday!This stuff smells absolutelly like her lipstick!

mscardoza
mscardoza

My signature scent. Perfect for any occasion. In my humble opinion this fragrance is a masterpiece.

Nicely
Nicely

Guys this is extremely sexy stuff, the nice and smooth irus,irus,irus,lipsticky smell makes me crazy. i use this lady killer in the winter, its projects fine on me longevity is great.

Projection: 7.5
Longevity: 7.5
Smell: 7.5 ( i like DHI better )

ahmedbaflah
ahmedbaflah

عطــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــر
رائـــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــع

banks1124
banks1124

I can appreciate how well done this fragrance is but it's just not for me. Very well blended and classy smell but I can't do the powdery note. If you don't mind powder this may be for you. Also, I think a woman could wear this easily.

Update. I smelled it again just because the bottle is so nice. I got this all wrong. This fragrance is a masterpiece. Pure class. I wear a shirt and tie everyday and this is all I want to smell like through the rest of winter and the first cool weeks of spring. LOVE IT!

estrellita
estrellita

A wonderful men´s scent!!! Sweet, woody and a bit powdery... The first time I smelled it, I have been trapped. An incredibly seductive blend !:-) ...at least for my nose ;-) Truly a masterpiece !

bearinganhourglass
bearinganhourglass

The start is very nice where top notes are playing and bergamot is in the lead. It lasts only 20-30 minutes and goes directly to lipstick tones of iris-cacao. For good 7-8 hours you are projecting it to the people. As time goes, iris will fade to leave very mellow cacao-soft leather base. It is a very nice smell. But it does not suit me. there is nothing masculine about it, too unisex, more for women in age than men perfume. Paper- blot fooled me with very nice start and mellow finish, I totally missed part where you are walking around smelling like lipstick'd been smothered all over you. Probably good for evening in crowd so nobody will assign this nice smell to you. Sorry but it goes to my mom's drawer.

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

Same, same, but different. Yet, just as good as before.

UPDATE: I've been fiddling around with "men's" gourmand scents and I've come around to liking this one, mostly because it is inoffensive pleasantness. With some of the others, I can't be sure I'm not going to feel nauseous within a couple hours, but the balance here is just right. If you want something challenging or for the party scene, look elsewhere; this is more for personal enjoyment (or romantic situations if the other person like its) for those who know exactly what they're seeking.

My old review: This seems like more of a powdery gourmand than the original, which had more of a fruity/tobacco aspect to it. This one is also more leathery. I don't dislike it but I already have FUBU Plush for Men, which gives me the powdery gourmand leather (or suede), Deauville Pour Homme, which supplies a powdery oakmoss tobacco, and Black Walnut, which is a woody fruity/tobacco. I've also got Curve Connect, which features a tea-tinted fruity tobacco. How many do I need? I think I have my bases covered here without the new Dior Homme being part of my rotation. I have a little of the original, but I can't say I like it that much, especially the rather bland drydown, a few hours in. So, I guess you might want to sample as many of these as you can before spending money on a bottle of Dior Homme. Most likely, there are a few others that feature these major elements (I think a Guess fragrance is supposed to be a powdery suede or leather too, for example).

Stockholmspolisen
Stockholmspolisen

It smells very good and soft. It does not smell synthetic.

The only negative on this is the longevity since it only last 3-5 hours on me. This is a close to skin scent.

fkollmeier
fkollmeier

too much iris for my taste. I'm sorry to say but this actually makes me feel sick. too sweet with a foolish attempt to make it smell woody at the same time. strong notes of iris, leather, patchouly and possibly some chocolate.

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

My first impression:

I think this version has lost some of the iris, it has a good side that makes perfume a little more versatile.

dvbdvb
dvbdvb

i bought i blindly, i love it honestly when it dries down. unfortunately my friends and closest one judge it as i' wearing mosquito repellent spray! and this mind starts to think so ... too bad :(

happytime
happytime

Very elegant and sensual and much better than 2005 version as it is lighter and more elegant,the iris is toned down a little bit so it smells amazingly sweet woody semi powdery,its marvelous.

Brumen
Brumen

i have edt and edp first-editions, and i think that new edt version is very similar to homme intense (edp version), more leathery, gourmandish, powdery. Honestly i prefer vintage edition for a edt formula and leave strong notes to the edp version.
Vintage formulas was two distinct fragrances, new edt is a mix between the two previous. I don't dislike it, but i'm original lover ;)

evilspin
evilspin

One of the highlights about Dior Homme (And the intense and other reformulations) is that this can be worn in the cold and hot times and day and night and it does not cloy nor get worse. Compliment getter 24/7 all throughout the year! Sex in a bottle!

waine
waine

I test sprayed this yesterday for the first time. I do not own it so I am not in a position to give an objective review. All I want to say is one thing. If I had to use only one word to describe this, I will use the word, “Lipstick”.

lpwuk
lpwuk

Noticed the new smell immediately. The "old" 2010 was awesome. Nota fan of the new one at all.

Would anyone know either where there may be some pre change bottles available, or an alternative? I have heard that Egoiste may be the way to go.

stayclose
stayclose

This one wears a crooked smile. Not in a bad way but you have to wonder what he's up too. Sexy and seductive.

Kain
Kain

I bought the reformulaion bottle several months ago.
This is a classy fragrance. great for special occasions like wedding day, a date, work meetings and ...
But you can also wear it casually!
Start with huge dose of iris and some sweetness and also some coco. only hint of coco!
After that, in the drydown, the sweet and powdery iris comes in and this is the best part of this fragrance in my opinion! and also it's the worst part of this fragrance for so many guys out there!
Because this part is feminine for them and they get lipstick vibe!
But I don't have any problem with this scent and I think it's a great scent!
In the base, the iris is still there with some sweetness and only hint of spicy and woodsy notes.
Great smell but average projection and above average longevity with this guy.
يه عطر بسيار شيك و باكلاس مناسب مراسمات خاص مثل عروسي، تولد و ملاقات هاي رسمي
رايحه ابتدايي بوي قوي گل آيريس هست كه ظاهرا تو فارسي ميشه زنبق و سوسن به اضافه مقدار كمي رايحه شيرين و مقدار خيلي خيلي كمي كاكائو
بعد از اون بوي عطر شيرينتر ميشه و بويي شبيه به بوي مواد آرايشي پيدا ميكنه
خيلي ها ميگن بويي شبيه ماتيك ميده اما به نظر من اونجوري هم نيست و تا حدودي شباهت داره
در پايان از شيريني عطر تا حد زيادي كاسته ميشه و مقدار خيلي كمي رايحه تند و جنلگي پيدا ميكنه. خيلي خيلي كم البته
عطر بسيار خوشبو و شيك و باكلاسي هست و پخش بو و ماندگاري مناسبي داره

bwcw81
bwcw81

For me, this is a smart, mature, formal and intelligent scent. A warmth and complex scent after the ever legendary Fahrenheit - brilliant!

It start with dusty floral scent slowly emerge to potent powderish Cacao ambery scent, so potent until it last for hours, at last ended with slight dusty leather patchouli scent which I like most - it give warmth feeling to the wearer. Projection and longevity is great, people can spotted it from far and is last at least 6 hours. Thumbs up for it's superior quality!

Overall, this is a very polite, brilliant gentleman scent suitable during formal dinner, important dating and a very good winter scent! Just be careful not to over-apply this, a little goes a long way. 8.5/10 from me. Truly a signature scent from reputable Dior ~ Pour Homme!

Igor Rosenkreuz

In the new formulae I get a lot more laether and cocoa and less iris and lavander than the old one, is this accurate?

Igor Rosenkreuz

O have both the old and the new formulations of Dior Homme EDT, and I have to say that I prefer the new one, although the old is also a masterpiece, all in all, Dior Homme EDT is still my favorite fragrance of all time!

Valentino
Valentino

After a few months on the 'Dior Reformulations are the work of the Devil' bandwagon I have now come to the conclusion that the new Dior Homme is in many ways a better fragrance than the one it replaces. Why?

Well, in spite of ditching the gleefully anachronistic and eccentric vibes of the original they have now given DH a 'wow factor' it never really had before! To do this they have given it some fresh iris notes (in addition to the powdery grey ones)and a new fruity warmth in the midnotes. This is closer in style to the Homme Intense Edp or if you like is a kind of halfway-house between the vintage DH and DHIs, possessing more substance and body with better longevity.

This version is more uplifting, more satisfying and more wearable in my opinion. In conclusion you now get a healthy dose of individuality coupled with the mainstream appeal required for everyday use.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A distinctive, unique, long lasting perfume which appeals to the lovers of something different..

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0 - 2.5 hours - 1 foot projection. This is a wet synthetic lipstick scent which is unusual and very unisex. It is sleek, night time and for the suave, clean cut handsome 30's classy metrosexual male, who can pull of something uncoventional

2.5 hours - 4 hours - 0.75 foot projection. Same scent but a little soapiness comes in, which starts to dilute the waxy lipstick effect

4-6 hours - 0.5 foot projection. Smelling the skin sees heavy soapiness, sometimes to the point of sickening, yet the scent which projects works much better with the soapiness; so this is one best sprayed perhaps on your torso, to let it waft upwards

6-9 hours- 3 inch projection. Very good. Soapiness less now. Occasional 6 inch waft of projection which is awesome

9 - 10.5 hours - 1-2 inch projection. Some spicy smokiness mingles in with the remaining soapiness

10.5 hours - 12 hours. Close to skin

Great longevity, unusual and different smell, not for the masses. Perhaps ahead of its time? and a sign of things to come?

Masterpiece

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

So much talk about reformulation of the dior homme.
This,start out with a huge blast of iris,a semi-fresh lipsticky powdery accord.
After 15 min sweetness from cacao start to be stronger,but still shy in front of the iris.
30 min later,it will be a sweet powdery cacao creamy buttery smell with iris background.
Do not imagine a sickly sweet or synthetic scent,it's well refined and well balanced.
Also, the leather is detectable,not the leather jacket type of feeling ,more suede like.
Absolutley sensual,nice and appealing !
It's between vintage dior homme and vintage dior homme intense,gourmandish touch is pushed on this one comparing to the original.
Polge version had a similarity with l'homme yves saint laurent,Demachy elliminate it.
Very good longevity (8+ hours),with above average projection.
Suitable for fall and winter,i think it's versatile also,can be worn to work,special occasion...
Can be unisex like others mentioned.
There is no big differences between the two version,but i like the new one better just because it give me more sillage and longevity.

lfmars98
lfmars98

Very nice. I get that lipstick smell at the beginning, then it becomes slightly sweet and powdery on my skin. Fairly close to the skin, but I could smell it for 9 hours before showering. This is quality juice. Need to compare it against the Intense version. 9/10.

cinemoenti
cinemoenti

★★★★★
The relaunch is just a little bit more serious, a little bit more of leather, a little bit more "homme". but is it more interesting? i didn't find out yet.

crazyrabbits
crazyrabbits

I've had Dior Homme for a couple months now, and I've hesitated to write a review because I didn't know what to say. What can you say about something that, in my mind, has redefined men's cologne? I can't speak for the differences between the "classic" version and this reformulation, but I do know one thing - Dior Homme is quite literally class in a bottle.

I had my mind set on it after reading the reviews on this site, and found it at my local Hudson's Bay practically tucked away with the other Dior's by the elevators. Everything from the packaging to the bottle to the scent screams power and class. When I first tried it on, I immediately got the waxy lipstick note on my skin, but it faded very quickly (within ten minutes) into what is probably the most well-blended powdery cocoa-vanilla combination I've ever experienced. The longevity and sillage are crazy on this - people notice it, wherever you go. Pair it with a tailored suit and you'll feel like you're unstoppable.

I mean to try the entire Homme line (including the "classic" version), and I find myself going back to this day in and day out - it really pops in the winter air, and people immediately notice it when I walk by them. I highly recommend Dior Homme.

Smells like strong cognac at first before it gets a bit powdery and grassy/vetiver dry. Not my cuppa tea. Intense version is better, in my opinion.

Helsinki
Helsinki

2011 (BLACK tube) v 2005 (SILVER tube):

2011 is less powdery. It lacks the beloved "lipstick note." The liquorice opening is mixed with passion fruit or something alike, it's less about pure liquorice. And the longevity is weaker.

If you like to smell iris in the leading role, I strongly advise you to stock up on the 2005 formula.

__

This was pure Murphy's law in action. I wrote a review of the 2005 formula yesterday, and intended to puchase the same version today. Of course, chances being 50:50, I got the 2011 version.

norsende
norsende

I love the smell of this reformulation, never tried the old one though so can't compare. I also love the new Intense version.

This lasts a long time on my skin, but it stays pretty close after a few hours but it's no biggie in my opinion, great for everyday use at work and university and then for nights out I switch to the Intense version which has the same base scent but sweeter and has great sillage.

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

It's somewhat ok, but I get constant makeup kit smell (not bad, but not what I'm looking for in men's frag. Low sillage, very close, doesn't last long on me (<2 hrs & it's very faint). I detect the powdery scent, not unpleasant, and maybe a hint of the cocoa as it dries down.I sometimes use cardamon seed as breath freshener, but I don't get the cardamon here at all.

Hilaire
Hilaire

Livid about this reformulation. The original Dior Homme was unique almost in contemporary mainstream men's perfumery (excluding classics and niche perfumery that is), it was beautifully designed and a beautifully composed and striking fragrance which had character and strength.

Frankly there are thousands of men's perfumes which smell exactly alike and which mark out their wearers as men who are afraid to stand out from the crowd, wearing Dior Homme in its original formulation marked one out as someone with a strong sense of style and as someone who didn't mind standing out.

It was also made of very good ingredients, and wasn't some sport-fragrance airport toilet urinal cake nightmare like so many other men's fragrances.

The current overall decline at the House of Dior has manifested itself in this poor quality, mediocre, characterless and cheap reformulation.

Thank god I have a bottle of the old Dior Homme EDP and a bottle of Dior Homme Intense EDP from 2010 stashed away, I'll be eeking them out and not wasting my money on the reformulation.

Heverton
Heverton

I wanna start by saying that I play in the team which hates reformulations. To me this is a total disrespect to the loyal costumers, since you're changing just what attracted the costumer in the first way making it a fan of a particular fragrance.

But giving the fact that nowadays the companies are almost only looking into the profit aspect instead of satisfaction, we gotta roll with what we got.

And by saying that, I would like to say that I didn't like the original Dior Homme! The makeup aroma was too much to my nose. When I heard that they were gonna reformulate it, I was like "what a disrespect!" but from inside I was: "my god, perhaps there's still hope for me with this masterpiece, perhaps now it will mix well with my skin!"

And so it happened! This reformulation opens up with the characteristic aroma of iris and the makeup smell attached into it, accompanied by a light note of bergamot. They toned down the iris! After 5 minutes, I was already smiling when a gorgeous cocoa/vanilla combo kicks in leaving a wonderful creamy trail which lasts until the end.

Anyway, I do hate reformulations, but this one was a huge thumbs up for me!

jimmy2801
jimmy2801

Definitely not a hate scent but please...the older one was SO much better!

Less iris in this one MEANS less lipstick smell. But this was the special thing about it.
Now its just another mainstream after some minutes (when the iris is gone and this fruity cacao comes in!)

Sad.

Endymion
Endymion

Sorry, but I don't like the "new" design. The old bottle with the chrome tube is much more elegant and look more expensive. This black plastic tube makes its look cheaper.
Why change it if you can't change it to something "better"?

grgfourtinas

forgot to mention this is a compliment getter , i wore this and the first 5 min. i got a compliment from a very attractive girl i didnt know! Women/girls will probly like this one better than the old formulation because the powder and wax note aint in your face !

grgfourtinas

So i went and bought this one today ! It smells 95% the same as the old formulation, its a lil watered down ! This is a powdery,waxy smelling frag. basicaly what i get the first hour1/2 is something like a cherry coverd in wax, light it up and thats the smell i get ! then the dry down gets powdery and a small hint of leather and gets closer to the skin.
Projection: 3.5 hours
Longevity: 6+hours

soleroc
soleroc

No cardamom in this one. Shame, it helps keep sweet notes grounded. Oh well. I had better stock up on both of the originals.

zepyhp
zepyhp

I love the Polge Dior Homme and i also love the Demachy Dior Homme. So whats the difference? The Polge version is more iris. The Demachy version is a bit sweeter, it has the iris but not as potent as Polge version.
At the dry down, Polge version is iris/vetiver blend, its what my nose gets.
At the dry down, Demachy version is less iris, vetiver/with a touch of sweetness to it.

scenturian
scenturian

Already at stores. Tried 2 times.
Not exactly same as the original but very similar.
Original was more woody and this is more leathery, more gourmandish and less powdery which seems to have slightly gourmandish touch of the intense.
Eventually I liked it.
I was trying to find the original at the stores, but no way to find since it is bestseller.

harith
harith

just waiting to see the difference ! bs the notes listed r the same !
nevertheless, I adore it so much...

Dior Homme by Dior 4.48 out of 5 based on 1009 ratings and 187 user reviews

Christian Dior Dior Homme Eau De Toilette Spray New Version 100ml 3.4oz
Eau De Toilette 5oz
Christian Dior Dior Homme Eau De Toilette Spray New Version 150ml 5oz
Christian Dior Dior Homme Eau De Toilette Spray New Version 150ml 5oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dior Dior Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dior Dior Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Dior Homme by Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Dior Homme by Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.