Designers » D E » Chypre Floral « Groups

Diorella Dior for women

Diorella Dior for women
dislike

Diorella Dior for women Pictures Diorella Dior for women Pictures Diorella Dior for women Pictures Diorella Dior for women Pictures

Diorella symbolizes the spirit of freedom of the 1970s. This fresh, floral-chypre is gentle thanks to the floral notes which dominate the composition. Top notes are Sicilian lime and basil; honeysuckle and peach are in perfume’s heart, while vetiver and oak moss are in the base. The nose behind this fragrance is Edmond Roudnitska.

Melon Green Notes Basil Bergamot Sicilian Lemon

O de Lancome

Diorella Fragrance Reviews

Scentmad
Scentmad

One of my favourite perfumes. I have been wearing this fragrance since I was 15 when, armed with my first pay packet for a part time job, I went into a local perfumery and bought some (for £11 – which was nearly ALL of my weekend pay). I got it from one of those old style shops (even then), everything on show and in glass cabinets – it was 1981 and I was in heaven, mulling over the Dior section trying to choose between eau Fraiche, Dioressence or Diorella. I must have been in the shop for well over an hour and it was a small shop – sadly long gone.

The edt of Diorella (vintage) is utterly beautiful. In 1981 I sprayed it liberally, on my skin, clothes, bed-clothes, as an air freshener – I just could not get enough of the stuff. I have never been without a bottle of Diorella since that day. I have tried the reform – it’s good but the memories that my old stash evokes remains with me – I even have some pure perfume which I snagged by chance and without realising it was the pure perfume which appeared on the market (I understand) briefly in the early 1980’s.

Diorella is a perfume that is crystal clear, green, herbaceous and, I would whisper it quietly,a refined version of eau Savage – but above all this perfume is a complete masterpiece, not loaded with fruit or heady with musk – this is an elegant, classy fragrance. It’s redolent, intriguing and has me under its understated but oh so present spell. I loved it then, I love it now, I will love it forever. I wear this for summer, a cooling honeysuckle note, a mere suggestion of sweetness; it’s green, spikey and harmoniously sings with spirit. It is a complete sentence in perfumery, nothing missing, nothing needed.

Can you tell I love this stuff?

Marie76
Marie76

This is such a happy perfume. It opens up just like Cristalle de Chanel ( the closest to my signature perfume as I'll ever come) but then forgets all of Cristalle's aloofness and cool distance and explodes Into a happy green and flowery dance. It has no creamy dry down, it's less lush, drier than Cristalle, but also more amiable. So if these two were at a party, Cristalle is tied up with her beau in some really difficult conversation, whilst Diorella has opened a bottle of wine for all her friends. I really like it.

HyacinthBucket
HyacinthBucket

I worked for Christian Dior in the early 90's. At that time chypre fragrances had become unfashionable. The big sellers at the time were fruits and florals. Diorella was not a big seller. We couldn't give the stuff away. I didn't love the scent but I ended up with so many free testers I wore it just to use it up. Over time I began to really appreciate this fresh, floral, green gem. Vintage Diorella is a lovely, clean 70's classic but in my opinion it is not worth the huge amounts being charged for it on eBay simply because the original is no longer available.

Henriette
Henriette

The first time I wore Diorella I was 15 and loved it.
Green, long lasting, classy, a real beauty.
Second time was 15 years later.
Same impression but with less enthusiasm. Maybe I landed on known ground and did know what to expect.
Both Diorella were in original formula.

20 years (and some reformulation) later there I am with another Diorella.
I feared I would have mourned over the original long gone (the same way I did with Mitsouko, Shalimar, Opium, Magie Noire, Cristalle and a bunch of others).
Nope.

I do not know if this is going to ban me from Fragrantica, but in my opinion this Diorella resembles the original Cristalle (which I bought the same day it came out) more than the reformulated Cristalle is close to her ancestor. Same complexity, same crispness, same angularity.
Diorella is a marvellous scent.
I know a number of people regret the original one.
It was a masterpiece, we know, but even if not identical to the original, this version has truly something. It's powerfully classy, not so linear as I'd expected, complex and - well, it happened the same with another Roudniska's masterpiece, Femme by Rochas - so much masterpiece that no one and nothing can destroy.
Roudnitska is a genius, his work cannot be destroyed with a simple rework. Traces of his artistry remain and even the worst reformulation offers us a scent that remains a work of art. More, much more than many insignificant creations around today.
I'm happy with Diorella, no matter how reformulated it may be.
It's one of the few cases where I am not disappointed with a rework.
Outstanding.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

How sad. Diorella now smells like shampoo or shampoos smell like Diorella - everywhere.

gallian
gallian

I find Diorella very interesting, it reminds me of the very old Courreges in Blue (1983). The only problem with Diorella is the melon note, on some types of skins this note could come out smelling like vegetables, then IMO better choice is Courreges in Blue vintage.

fiouu
fiouu

I have this in vintage formulation, the melon always killed it for me, made the whole composition smell putrid.
I've tried for years to ignore the waxy peach and that stupid melon notes, and I just found I can't bare them anymore.
I'm sad to say this but I hate this fragrance, just for the fact that my stupid chemistry brings out the two notes that I hate the most in this perfume.

srimati

I wore it back in the day and it was once a favorite so I ordered an unopened box of the juice from ebay. I loved the citrus combination with green/woods. Just well-done. An Edmond Roudnitska signature. I'm very happy to have found it, though it asks a heftier price but Diorella is priceless to me. Had to have it.

greenelf
greenelf

I still have a tiny actual perfume of Diorella from, most likely, the late 70's. It is still wearable, although undoubtedly past it's prime. I haven't smelled the new formulation, but this scent has always struck me, as Eau Sauvage for women! (I couldn't find Eau Sauvage on your data list, BTW or I would have posted it.) It is so much like Eau Sauvage that I feel that Dior must have just added some lovely honeysuckle and a little jasmine to the men's scent and called it a day!This is another scent that invokes summer for me, always. Annick Goutal's "Eau De Sud" made me think of Diorella right away, the first time I smelled it. No where near as lasting though.

tymanski
tymanski

i recently (& finally) got a sealed late 70s vintage diorella on ebay and i am simply in love with this gem. the current formulation is ok but nothing to get excited about - too citric, too generic. this, however, is a remarkable fragrance: deep moss that floats!, a floral undercurrent that gives it real old school elegance and a very ripe fruit (some say peach, i say the whole basket) note that projects & lasts. i really love this and see it being an all-season wonder. moments like opening vintage diorella are what make this expensive hobby so utterly enjoyable. timeless masterpiece....

Aaron H
Aaron H

I tried this when I was fifteen years old - many, many moons ago - and fell in love with it. Did I also mention I'm a guy.
I would never have tried this if it weren't for an older lady who worked the counter at Carson Pierre Scott near where I grew up.
I was used to smelling men's colognes until Gladys sprayed this on my hand. I was confused - never smelled anything like it. Needless to say I was really disappointed when she told me it was a women's fragrance!

It has an energetic buzzing, fizzing melon, leafy basil and boozy wine kind of feeling at first with a really good citrus note that doesn't say lemon or lime but is instead just an all around clean juicy citrus. That opening transitions into a really abstract floral and melon with hints of moss and cedar.

It settles into an earthiness with oak moss and a nice patchouli (oh, I love patchouli) which makes it comfortable for a guy like me to wear even though there are noticeable fresh floral notes and powdery smooth musk note meant more for the ladies.

I love this fragrance but it drives my wife crazy when I want to spray it on before going out. I like to tell her I'm going to spray it on before heading to her parents for dinner! Freaks her out every time! Can't a guy have fun?

mazion
mazion

Can you still buy this scent? I bought it back in the 70s, loved it but have never seen it since. Pity! Maybe it is unavailable in Britain.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

Fresh, green, and earthy, Diorella is a perfectly balanced Spring and Summer chypre with fruity and floral nuances. The basil is more minty than peppery; green and a little sweet. It works well with the bergamot lemon note, which is light and both sweet and sour. This chypre is more green notes than moss, although the moss is very much present, well paired with vetiver, giving a rich earthy, rooty drydown. The green notes that appear earlier in development are the green of fresh leaves and cut flower stems, the bright fresh green of new Spring buds, made a little spicy by the basil. The melon is soft, subtle, and even the melon is green, not ripe or fleshy. The overall effect is effervescent.

This is a stunning honeysuckle, a very realistic, soft, honeyed floral, paired beautifully with peach. The peach, although light, is not as subtle as the melon. There is no vanilla in this, but the peach and the honeysuckle give a slight vanilla tinge to the heart. The carnation and rose tend to come in waves before merging with the peach and honeysuckle, and the heart really hums, the soft fruity floral notes purring along on a big green cloud.

The dry down seems to draw it all together, green, mossy, earthy, and rooty, a true chypre, but still fresh and green, great in Spring and Summer. An elegant and invigorating fragrance, Diorella is one of those perfumes with healing powers: in this case, the ability to calm and soothe while energizing. I am already trying to figure out how to buy a back up bottle.

Hermesfan
Hermesfan

Nice summery/ spring citrus fragrance. I have enough stock, pls contact me if interested in a spare half-full bottle.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

this was my first fragrance that my mom bought for me at the age of 18. but I have a confusion though..the packaging was a plead print in off white and navy colors..they must have changed it..anyways..it represents so many sweet memories for me..I truly treasured this bottle and loved wearing it!! should get one and try to see if it still smells good on my older skin:-)

aveilhe
aveilhe

Unfortunately, I am testing this in the middle of a snow storm, which seems inappropriate -- Diorella is clearly meant to be enjoyed in balmy weather, where her green freshness can truly shine. I would liken her to a refreshing gin & tonic or a bowl of barely-ripe fruit.

Traditional chypres can often be mossy, pungent, even unapproachable. I would classify Diorella as a light, fresh, friendly chypre -- it does have that classic chypre mossiness, but it is not overpowering. The earthiness is balanced with hints of sweet fruit and a whisper of soft floral notes.

What's interesting/odd about this perfume is the difference between the way it smells when wafting up from my wrist as I go about my day, versus the way it smells when I put my nose up to my wrist and breathe in deeply. As I sit here typing this, the peppery-spicy basil, as well as the earthy oakmoss and vetiver are most prominent. When I smell it up close, I detect more of the fruity cantaloupe nuances and a gorgeous, understated accord of honeysuckle and jasmine -- this is the experience I prefer.

I wonder if more of the fruity-floral aspects would emerge in warmer weather? I will have to test it in a few months and see. In the meantime, the herbal-mossiness just seems too out of sync with the February chill. It doesn't offer me the cozy richness I look for in winter scents, nor does it provide any sweetness or zest to lift my spirits (on the other hand, I tried Diorissimo yesterday, and she brightened me up immensely!).

P.S. I detect a distinct similarity between Diorella and Mitsouko -- particularly the understated fruit notes (peach, specifically). But Diorella has none of the musty skin-scent that I detected in Mitsouko, so I find it much more appealing. If you weren't a fan of Mitsouko, but are looking for something in a similar vein, this might be a scent to try!

I've been testing Roudnitska's perfumes lately and this one captured my heart. I'm a man and although I would wear this in a heartbeat it is obviously something meant for an energetic, serious yet fun natured woman. It's full of light elegance with a little mischief woven in!

The beginning is a shear citrus of the bergamont and lemon variety. It's kissed by some cantaloup and a dab of deep red Bordeaux. It is delicately mossy and on some sniffs I even get the softest, subtlest hint of anise.
This is one of the most delicious chypres I have ever smelled.
There is a mild honey comb smoothness similar to Ma Griffe in the drydown although this one manages to stay subtle, quite, cool and dry. I believe the vetiver plays a roll in that. There is also a fresh leafiness - which I imagine is some well dressed patchouli dancing with the honeysuckle.
The florals are played down in this fragrance but are quite noticeable as you get close to the skin. I do get some rose but mostly waxy honeysuckle & carnation - near the stem. The oakmoss in the drydown is earthy & delicate.

This scent reminds me of that wonderfully serious and professional woman who surprises you by pinching your bottom when you walk past her desk when no one is looking. Serious yet playfully mischievous.
Ohhh, it's like sparkling moonlight on the lip of a slender just emptied wine glass!

silagelover
silagelover

This one is not for me, smells nice in the bottle but on my skin the oak moss, green notes and citrus turn into what I can only describe as the smell of an airplane cabin. The sterile lemony cleaning products + stale recycled air. I really wanted to love this but it didn't love me back.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Diorella is no chef d'oeuvre to be be trifled with.

An exacting, precise, cerebral perfume it is not a work but an embodiment of art.

It takes the basic chypre recipe and deploying Occam's razor removes any fat, skims off excess and leaves only clean muscle and salient seasoning.

A list of ingredients reads as unremarkable: lemon, oakmoss, basil, bergamot, a melodius melon, some greens and sprig or two of patchouli.

Each is of the highest quality, but it is the genius of their deployment and not the hauter of their demeanor that gives the dish as served its unrivaled effect.

There is no man or woman in a kitchen, merely the one in charge in whites.

Diorella is Chef.

xrayer
xrayer

I just purchased a sample of diorella as it sounded intriguing, I didnt expect to like it much because it sounded so different to my usual fragrances and I don't usually like green-type ones.

But - it is love at first sniff! The moment I sprayed this I felt a bright, sparkly joy, it is summertime here and very hot but I felt instantly cooler. Because a lot of reviews talked about it being lemony I thought it would be very sharp but it is so soft and beautiful, a truly classical smell. I have only been wearing it for 4 hours and it smells very similar to when I first applied it so will see how it wears throughout the day.

It is so unlike any thing I have smelled before, so far removed from the sweet generic fragrances that are popular now, I absolutely love it! And this is only the cureent EDT formulation so I will now try to hunt the original version down.

RedLady
RedLady

Hmm... not so sure about this one.
I had high hopes, its a classic, but when I tried it, I just got a really strong scent of lemon. Like, really lemony.
It actually reminded me of that lemon scented Fairy washing up liquid, or something you dust your furniture with.
If you like your very green, citrus notes this is for you. And its undoubtedly a day fragrance.
But it was just too...er...lemon for me. Found its longevity to be poor as well.
Sorry Dior, I love so many of your other fragrances!

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

The current formulation is rather disappointing. It smells like a sweet floral green fragrance.

Gone is the bitterness and the BITE which IMO made the vintage a very interesting and unisex fragrance.

Too Bad.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Naughty bodily, perhaps willfully odd funny girl fragrance but rises above it to typeless and timeless. That melon: so far from the calone-note melon of today, as if they're all silicone implants and the original here was this unbridled gorgeous curve of flesh, totally comfortable with itself in its own skin. The peach and herbs smell still alive, on the tree and vine, though tinged with a decadent voluptuousness, overripe. The citrus too has a subtle dark humor in place of lemon's usual easy smile.

Vitamin tablets, kitchen windowbox gardens, the rippling reflection of sunlight on a pool in a David Hockney painting, the cursive signature of Roudnitska, swimming figure eight laps to eternity--the coda of Diorella's fruit-green-fruit-green structure. Such warmth, so humane, likely more than any other in the typically gruff or pouty classic chypre lineup.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Indisputably a masterpiece and one of the best floral chypre fragrances around. Sister of Eau Sauvage, this one is a bit more watery and round with the Roudnitska signature. This one adds a bit more floral freshness over Eau Sauvage's sweaty caraway, though both are cozy and lived in, as great chypre fragrances tend to be. I can never decide which of the two I like better. I guess I don't have to!

mirian@uol.com.br
mirian@uol.com.br

Diorella is the most glamourous fragrance of all times! It is chic, sexy, sophisticated, rich!

daniela3
daniela3

Despite its age Diorella (not too many indeed but its historical contest signed the other frags of that time) keeps on being a 'forever green', still a 'young' fragrance; officially put on the market during the 70es it is a true historical masterpiece, a fragrance with a great and innovative structure so that it probably opened the door to a modern way to think and to do perfumery. Only the genius behind it and one of the most important Nose of last century - even here - could not betray the customer's expectations. Ed. Roudnitska created a work that keeps on charming a large part of today market (the other one probably has not already met it!); Diorella makes me obviously think to 'Le parfum de Therese' (a frag created during the 50es) having both these 2 much in common, but the latter was a bespoke perfume, a 'privilege' only created for his wife Therese. Although I love 'Le p. de T'. so much (for me, one of the best in Malle's family) I believe that Diorella has a better and easier 'wearability': 'Therese' is a grown up woman while 'Diorella' is still a young one.

Longevity, for me, is the only 'black spot' of this jewell.

Not very useful saying that if you found a well kept vintage, (for instance the version we have is beautiful too) you could really understand what my words cannot express.......

Before I throw myself into this review, I'll start by saying that Diorella is one of my favourite chypres and one of the first scents I reach for during the Summer months. The Diorella I fell in love with was the most recent formulation, from the Les Creations de Monsieur Dior range. I never believed it was of upmost importance to test the vintage formulation, but now I'm kicking myself.

I was warned that the fragrance I love was watered-down, and nothing like the Diorella from before, but at the time I refused to listen. The other day, hidden in a boutique, I had the opportunity to test the original, and much to my delight, it's even better than I expected.

This fragrance is greener, with more of an aggressive bite. It's beautiful, dry and even a tad smoky. This newer version of Diorella is almost blasphemy. The old Diorella is an all-season fragrance, with enough warmth and depth to be enjoyed during the colder months too.

While it's the oakmoss that has caused all this hassle, it's that allergen that makes the old Diorella so special and rich. I curse those restrictions. As a young person, born into a world of reformulations, it's sad to think of all the beautiful fragrances I've missed out on smelling.

Thank goodness for the original Diorella. Don't get me wrong, I still thoroughly enjoy the new formulation, but when I compare them both side by side, the differences are evident. In terms of composition, I'm more in favour of the one that contains the real oakmoss.

It's difficult to put into words the mixture of thoughts running through my head at this present time. It almost feels like a slap in the face, but perhaps less brutal. In regards to lasting strength, the old Diorella also tops the newer version. To choose between the two, you'll either choose what is easily available or what essentially smells better.

kit1982
kit1982

This perfume reminds me of a cool chick... beautiful, carefree, wild, inteligent, fun, lovely, fresh.

I really adore diorella. Please bring her back, I am not allergic.

ailishlu
ailishlu

Had this at the end of the 70s (or was it in the 80s). Anyway, I bought this as a replacement for Dior Dior following the advice of the Sales Assistant. I can´t remember now if it was at all similiar to Dior Dior, but I know that I wore Diorella for a long time and totally loved it. It´s like a real treat and I keep seeing it now in the perfume stores and reminding myself that I must buy a bottle. However, it is a bit expensive. I shall wait and savour the moment. I think I did give it a spray and discovered it to be the same scent that I remember, so if this is a reformulation then it´s a good one. I hope it stays available for a while to come.

Jacster
Jacster

Diorella, in its purest form, is my ultimate fragrance desire. The eau de toilette is fine, but it doesn't last and it lacks the incredible richness and complexity of the pure parfum which, sadly, is no longer produced.

The extrait sat in its slim bottle, with a substantial stepped silver top. The word Diorella was engraved into the top. Just a few dabs lasted all day or night. Such luxury!

In my dreams Dior re-releases it as a parfum on one of its anniversaries. This year is 40 years since its release. Has anyone heard anything?

Will I have to wait another 10 years for this treasure to return? Or will it never?

emily7
emily7

Ever since I first encountered Diorella, until this day, whenever I smell it I always get the same synesthetic sensation in a form of sequence of mental images: white calla lilies and white tulips - a sharp, clean cut through the firm green floral parts - the dripping of the thick, milky-white juice coming from the crisp stems. Being used to aldehyde sharpness, oriental spiciness and heavy perfumes in general, I was never so astonished by a beauty of this sort; citrus clarity, white flower elegance and serene herb and fruit notes, harmonizing in a composition of such relaxing, revitalizing quality.
It gets even better.
On top of all this, a dirty note; a delicate one, not animalic, but almost has a cyber character - like the one in Kenzo Elephant, but more subtle and erotic. Earlier someone mentioned cumin - Mr. E. Roudnitska signature note - so that just might be the reason why I perceive Diorella as clean and pure, but never sterile, sexy and playful and still very idealized.
There's no cliche's or heavy burden of perfumer's tradition and history imposed, no expectation of mandatory development of composition, or heavy notes dominating over the pyramid or each other... But there's a lot of confidence and experience in it, as well as pure pleasure, all the way...

Beautiful, feminine, sophisticated, a classic!

modigliani
modigliani

dior and moss
dior and vetiver
dior and bergamot
dior and cyclamen and carnation

grand total: spring snow

akats

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of 50 ml which is obviously a previous edition. Not vintage, but thanks God not the latest one which is badly reformulated. I can cope with my reformulated version, as the smell I remember from my childhood, will never be the same. I will tell you the story of my love for this fragrance. When I was 8 years old, (that must have been in 1975), I met a singer, a kind of Diva! She was an old lady, full of makeup, and dressed in an exaggerate sparkling gown. What impressed me immediatelly, was the fact that her wonderful smell, was completely incompatible with her appearance. Her smell, was an airy, mossy, citrusy, peachy one, very transparent and out of her world! I asked her at once. What was that smell?... "Diorella" she replied. THAT Diorella does not exist any more...Reformulations are cruel, as cruel is time that passes by....

twinbeauty
twinbeauty

Diorella. What can I say....on me it starts off with a blast of citrus,and then the basil and oakmoss kick in. The perfume has an almost boozy quality on me which I love....it is sexy for a very long time. Smells great for hours but the dry down is a real disappointment....smells like an old lady in the end...kind of like meeting a sexy women, taking her home, and then waking up next to a disheveled old woman you dont even recognize...must have been all the booz.

drummagick
drummagick

Just received a bottle of 2004 vintage won at auction, in pristine condition inside and out. :)

I LOVE this perfume and can hardly wait for summer to wear it out. I see it is listed as a floral chypre, but it is a lot more fruity on my skin than floral, up to the last.

I get citrus, mostly lemon at the top, with some basil in the background. Soon after it's all about melon and peach, and bordering on over-ripe melon and peach at that. After about another 45 minutes I can smell honeysuckle. I'm not sure if I can parse out the base yet. It disappears on me after about 2 hours, or perhaps my sense of smell when it comes to this perfume is no good. But it's great while it lasts!

It reminds me of visiting my gramma in the Texas panhandle when I was very young. She had a very old house with honeysuckle growing all over the porch, and there was often melon on the table for breakfast.

A gorgeous, and for me, evocative perfume!

6 hours later - this perfume is so much richer than what I've described. There a note that comes and fades quickly right after I've sprayed it on. It's not the citrus, but it's incredible. I wish I had the knowledge and words to express what I'm smelling.

Just lovely :)

eta 2 weeks later: It's been a very long time since I've loved a perfume beyond all reason. Vintage Diorella is that perfume. :)

eta a month later: I don't think I have EVER loved a perfume this much. It's almost scary. It's like getting blindsided by
an intense love relationship you weren't expecting.
THinking about buying a third bottle. Oh boy, have I got it bad.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Very very similar to Chanel Cristalle EDT. And First by Van Cleef & Arpels.
First is more soapy, Diorella is more mossy.

Anna_Maria
Anna_Maria

I had bought EDT Diorella in Paris in 1991. A bottle with silver-edged blue cup. It was my favorite (along with Turbulescense) at that time. Actually I had only these two, but I had chosen them from many others in the store. In 1998 I have bought in New York a huge bottle of EDT Diorella with white cup. When I brought it home it was almost the same but different. More transparent, more basil and more watered down. I like the first one much more. Actually I would say they are two different fragarances, while they have the same notes. The first one always draws compliments from men, so bright and flowery, just fantastic. I never met this again anywhere.

HazelMae

Darn this stuff for the way it grew on me. I'm somewhat skeptical of the inescapable perfumista obsession with vintage versions of reformulated or discontinued fragrances. While I do believe that many fragrances are changed for the worse, I question whether this is the perfume version of "it's really obscure, you probably never heard of it." It allows people to indulge in that part of ourselves that gets old and hates change: it was so much better in the old days, before you came along.

But. In spite of how much I have started to like this, I suspect this may be one of the formulas that truly is broken. It seems weaker than it should be and requires a heavy-handed application to appreciate. I am trying to resist the urge to gamble on an expensive bottle from sketchy online retailers.

jasmasid
jasmasid

This is a masterpiece if you like your perfumes green and dry with tones of citrus. I'm amazed it's for women because it could work equally well for both sexes.

In some respects it resembles "Miss Dior", but only in the broadest aspects. This has more guts than the prim Miss Dior, almost converging on YSL's priceless "Y" creation. Only, the latter has more darkness and bitterness whereas Diorella appears more light-hearted at the outset before going on to develop into a serious scent which seems to be very thoughtfully composed. Most definitely a top mainstay of my current perfume wardrobe and for those of you who don't know this scent, I can strongly recommend ordering a small sample.

jtd
jtd

It’s so easy to liken Diorella to other perfumes because it has so many points of obvious comparison: fruity chypres, citrus chypres, green chypres, Roudnitska classics, dirty jasmines, 1970s liberated perfumes. Sometimes I feel that relying on comparison is a cop-out. As if I can’t be creative enough on my own to capture what I mean. In this case, though, the use of comparison simply points to how rich a composition Diorella is, and the fact that it is the standard-bearer in the above categories.

OK. So a few of the comparisons:
Where Eau Sauvage is crisp, starched and shimmering, Diorella is tantalizing and sultry. There is also a cologne-like aspect to Diorella (esp. as in Eau d’Hermès), but if a cologne is refreshing and tonic, Diorella is like a lot of cologne after a few drinks. Diorella smells like Pour Monsieur sprayed on a sweaty body. Ms. Diorella makes the uptight Miss Chanel 19 see red every time they meet. (And, don’t ask me why, but this is the one that captures it for me.) Chanel Cristalle has an infrequently-used, symmetrical smile like a strand of pearls with canines. Diorella shows that Lauren Hutton, gap-toothed smile with every frequent laugh.

Diorella combines the best of all the categories that I love. Green and dry. Sinister fruit. Gorgeous color against mossy darkness. Bitterness with flavor. There are more well-struck balances in this perfume than you might find in another house’s entire line. The striking set of accords set in motion at the start remains in place from its almost tipsy-drunk start through its tart-green heart to its mossy-woody base. Diorella slides back-and-forth between its fruity, mossy, floral and woody tendencies, but remains specific and identifiable at all times. (Caveat. Perfumes change all the time, and chypres are endangered. The Diorella edt I know was bought in 2005.)

We perfume fans (freaks) often list favorites, the one we’d take to prison or a deserted island, the one we’d grab from a burning house. I’ve listed Rabanne’s Metal in my theoretical top 5. I’ve said Givenchy’s Insensé is my favorite in my collection. Both true, but if I could have only one perfume, Diorella would be my easy choice.

LuaJane
LuaJane

Another memory of my mom. She wore it and loved it, and loves it nowadays too. Beautiful perfume. Love the beautiful bergamot with cyphre undertone, floral and ladylike. Somehow suitable with slightly vintage clothing.

krmarich
krmarich

Dior's brilliant chypre that will never be forgotten. The trend of the 1970s was green, mossy chypre. This seemed to be the flagship of the trend. This was not mere perfume, yet fine art. Freedom within the industry allowed such treasures to be produced.

It gets attention and by todays standards, could cause a riot. Its now lost and very expensive to collectors-needless to say, very worth it!

Anajuli
Anajuli

I smelled it when I was about 10, and it was soooo strong! A shame that perfumes today don't last as long...

akats

wonderfull fresh fragrance. When smelled it for the first time when I was young, I connected it with the organza textile. A transparent smell. Years after, it reminded me of Cristalle by Chanel.

angel6
angel6

I just try this one today and like it, it's very feminine and similat to Eau sauvage, but I find Eau savage better I can't explain.

corvuseye
corvuseye

This was my first grownup perfume, and I found it after a clerk in a "bath "store let me smell "Eau Savage". It's as close as you can get in a Women's scent, and I am ready to find a bottle of the Savage to wear now, (no longer worrying that it's a "man's scent" who cares, I LOVE it!) What they have in common, (other than the obvious soft citrus top, is a kind of understated classiness that has pretty much died out with Veal Oscar, Surf and Turf, and "quiet dining" in dark places. Concentrate on those middle notes and compare them to newer florals and you will see what I mean. The old standards, jasmine, rose,sandle, are still there, but they are skillfully all held back, and become one signature...a sachet that you wish you could maybe get one closer whif of!(or a plate you wish you could lick!)There is nothing cheap or common about it. Now days it would just be a WASH of white musk, vanilla,water chestnut, etc......non offensive, but also..not very sophisticated. Both are wearable anytime, but there is a universe of difference in quality if you pay attention to detail. And I think that is what this era of scents had :great Attention to DETAIL!
They come from a time before everything had to sport a lable, (to be "special") and "designer" meant it was custom made for YOU, not an overpriced ,mass produced mediocre item sporting a "sell out"famous name.. LOL! Diorella was a classy number, and I wonder if we will ever get this quality back in even semiaffordable offerings??I think it's GONE, sisters....(except maybe in Paris). sigh.....

marymargret
marymargret

My elixir of youth. Actually my first fragrance, at 16, and still love it like crazy. Forever green, fresh and real, nothing like the juices on the marked today.

"WHO LIKES THIS, ALSO LIKES...Miss Dior"? Not true, at least not for me. Miss Dior is exactly the opposite, like old and stuffy. Kind of empty chest smell.

iafar
iafar

very very relacxeng parfum
remind my of damp body sponge
i adoooort

Tillia
Tillia

Diorella is an old love story for me.I loved this perfume since 1980 and I still love it now.Fresh and beautiful and unic ...

Diorella is the scent of God .. and God is a woman, remember

HazelMae

When I tried this, it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Most of my favorites are chypres and I wanted to explore the idea of a summery chypre. Diorella is light and wearable while having the complexity and interest of a 70's classic. The dominant note is lemon. I do get the slightly overripe melon thing, along with some florals over a dry base. I can also say that I think I know what Tania Sanchez was talking about with the "Vietnamese beef salad" comment. It doesn't literally taste like beef salad, but it has an odd richness that contrasts with the light citrus. If I were to compare this to some kind of edible thing, I imagine a cocktail with bourbon, lemonade and Midori.

This fragrance ended up really growing on me. I can't think of anything like it. Yes Cristalle is similar but that melon richness of Diorella is what really grabs me. Will probably invest in a FB.

An amazing feminine fragrance also perfect for males. Woody citrus at their best. Diorella is awesome and should be tried by any fragrances lover in order to put some good basis on their personal olfactory culture. No need to spend many words on this kind of perfumes , instead we should hand down history to always preserve this marvellous creations from olbivion.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

A spectacular chypre. But as always, chypres just smell like soap to me.

oona noir
oona noir

After having a less than thrilling introduction to Diorella, I scrolled through Fragrantica's list of Chypre Florals and discovered exactly how many I've tried (a LOT) and counted how many I'm in love with (none). I think the only group that has a worse record with me is Floral Aldehydes... Anyway, Diorella smelled like a combination of pine trees and body odor to my nose through the top and heart (my hubby thought it smelled good) and then it dried down to a lot of oak moss. I like the base, but there are other perfumes that take me to a destination of oakmoss without the the pit stop in b.o. city. I'm willing to try Diorella again, since my hubby thought he was smelling something good. I just don't think it will be happening anytime soon.

Leaving my distinctly personal impressions aside, I would say that Diorella seems both very prim and wildly bohemian.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Diorella to me is a more complex version of Eau Sauvage, and definitely outshine others green fragrances like Chanel 19, Cristalle, Bvlgari Eau Parfumee, Ô de Lancôme and Ivoire in every possible way.

Diorella place more emphasis on Melon, Peach, Green notes and Jazmin. Eau Savage is more sharp and citric.

It is grassy and fresh and summery but also incredibly classy and French smelling. If you don't like Green/lemony fragrances don't even try this.

srimati

Definitely a class act. One of the best chypres around. It smelled good then and it smells good now. I think I may just re-visit the Diorella girl.

floriana
floriana

Classic chypre and high quality composition.
Fresh, for spontaneous person full of life and self confidence.
Diorella is like invigorate elixir, honeysuckle and oakmoss are in perfect balance with vetiver.
Pure and clean harmony - grand parfum in simple bottle.

jae
jae

I saw a bottle of this in a perfume shop today and something told me that I should try it. I LOVE it!!! It's packaged like the picture above. The lady behind the counter had the nerve to say it had an "old lady smell". Whatever. Had I been as bold and courageous in my teens as I am now, I would NEVER have worn the likes of Acqua di Gio, Calvin Klein Eternity, Tommy for Men or even Polo Sport. I actually had a sniff-a-thon today and I prefer this over Acqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta.... now THAT should say it all for what I think of Diorella. Needless to say, this will be in my collection within a week. When the bottle runs out, I'll be ordering the newer one from the Les Creations de Monsieur collection...

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is a highly unique and wonderful quality fragrance which has outlived the rest of the flogged to death old Dior line. Slightly edible in a savoury way, herbaceous and green. The peach and florals keep it warm and firmly in the feminine camp in my view, bravo Roudnitska!

guest_dannygirl
guest_dannygirl

One of the most unique scents around. To me, it dries down to a most unusual dry, herbal scent. Lovely, but for a very sophisticated or mature person. Somehow an "intelligent woman" scent. None of this sugar stuff here.

mocha43
mocha43

Doirella is a bit sharp and bitter on me but mellows out with dry down. I particularly like to spray a little Bvlari veil of jasmine on it. Then I like this combination very much. It's interesting to try this with different scents.

Burn your bra and wear DIORELLA. Unless you happen to be 36C, in which case I highly recommend that you keep the bra and wear DIORELLA. In any case, whatever your beliefs about appropriate displays of women's liberation might be, I encourage all of you, men and women alike, to wear DIORELLA!

This 1970 creation opens aromatically and entirely unisex. Lots of lemon, lots of basil, lots of other greenness as well. No one can convince me that this is not every bit as suited for a man as a woman. Refreshing, clean, invigorating, DIORELLA lies at the extreme end of the chypre spectrum (at the other end of which are found lots of shadows and fog...) and is a true gender-bender fragrance, eventually winding up in a subtle, lightly floralized vetiver drydown, which could be interpreted as feminine, but decidedly not in the pink lipstick, vanilla sugar, bouquet of roses way.

I love DIORELLA, and have added this to my wish list, although I'll be buying the edp--if such exists--since the edt seems too shortlived to me.

Zvoncica review almost brought me to tears, what a refreshing review. I am curious to try this fragrance, it has all the notes thst I love.

zvoncica
zvoncica

After months spent in Fragrantica I still have no clue how to define cyphre floral to another person. So if any of you friends, members or guests stumble upon Diorella here is how she looks...

Diorella is history teacher in girls school in London back in 1960`s. Dressed in grey tweed suit, with the skirt covering her knees and blue-white emblem on her jacket. Her black shoes have round toes and small heels. She walks fast and quiet, so quiet you can’t hear her until she is right behind you. Heavy book is in her hand while walking through school corridors, and her fingers are long and skinny. No nail polish on them. She hides her look behind decent silver glasses. Her hair is brown perfectly twisted to the back of her head. Collar on her shirt is white as snow and tightly pressed with iron. Smells on lime, bitter green lime. When she comes closer I notice the bitterness is not strong, more like unusual. Reminds me on soap my grandmother had while I was a child. Home made soap, with glycerin, beeswax and water in which lemon peel was boiled. Not strong, yet there. As she passes by me, nods her head and wishes me good afternoon.

If you do meet her, anytime, anywhere, be patient and gentle to her.

vincy_gal
vincy_gal

Too bad I don't see this one anymore...reminds me of my youth when i used to wear it and just LOVED it.

Michele716
Michele716

Of all the perfumes I've worn, and there have been many, Diorella has always been my one of my favorites When I first started wearing it, you couldn't even buy it in the U.S. and I had to order it from France, but it was worth every penny because it was so different and I didn't smell myself coming and going.

amelie
amelie

Classy - a real fragrance that exudes elegance, totally different from modern perfume, not even a little coquettish, or sweet.All moderate to perfection, even the initial sharpness is softened; on my first fresh and floral, slightly green. The signature Dior feeling at any time, in fact even today when someone mentioned to me the first Dior fragrance association was - Diorella!

Robert White
Robert White

(I won an award? Where?) I'm reading a wonderful and hilarious book called WORD FUGITIVES by Barbara Waldraff. It's a collection of made - up words for situations, thoughts, things, and people that never had names but clearly need them. For example: what do you call going through the dirty clothes hamper for a reasonably clean and wearable item of apparel to finish up your outfit? Why, DRY GLEANING, of course. I invented one of my own: what do you call the foam that goes over the rim of a glass of beer or soda, making a mess? A BEVERLANCHE, naturally. Anyway, there needs to be a name for the anosmia induced by overly solicitous and/or nosy sales people who hover over you when your'e holding a smelling strip under your nose and trying to evaluate a perfume. I have a word for that type of sales associate, anyway: SMELLICOPTER. Well, I've always wanted to like Diorella, but the goddamn smellicopters at Saks wouldn't leave me alone to find out. I've always wanted to like it because Luca Turin raves about it, and I truly LIKE the guy; I feel a kinship with intellectually restless, hyperactive nonconformists. That's a shock, huh? Come to think of it, there should be a word for those kind of people, too. I've got it: SPLINTELLECTUALS! Well, now I have a bottle of Diorella, thanks to a nice little discount stor I discovered on Sunday, and I can truly say that it is everything that he says it is. What makes Dirella great? The same thing that makes Chanel No. 5 great: Titanic Abstraction. Diorella does for fruit and citrus what Chanel No. 5 does for flowers: creates an entirely NEW and original fragrance; it's fruity, but not sweet; citrusy, but not acidic or oily. These perfumes do for scent what Willem de Kooning did for the human figure: take it to the realm of abstraction while keeping an identifiable shape. Great creativity in perfumery consists, in part, of this: creating entirely NEW smells. Sure, there are amazing scents that I love that smell LIKE things; incenses and gourmands, naturally. (I think the most amazing thing a gifted perfumer could do is create the scent of a completely new and unidentifiable food that's also wearable...wouldn't that be amazing?) But I think that the level of true ART is reached when you can't find words or analogies, when you can't say "this smells like X" and your only recourse is to say "this smells like No.5 or Shalimar or Mitsouko" This smells like Diorella.

glitteralex

I adore the Green Chypre family, and this is the reference. The bottle I am using, from the early 90s, has an incredible amount of oakmoss. Lots of citrus in the top, too. The floral heart is mild and serves more to round out the compostion than make a statement. High quality ingredients, and Dior is not skimpy with them. I am happy to see that it has not undergone a massive reform to make it more marketable to the 21st century set. Let's see how it survives the new EU "oakmoss regs" Wears very well due to the almost oily base (I note this also in older versions of Ma Griffe). Classic.

b.n. Definitely the grandmother of "Wrappings" by Clinique, but not as dry.

glitteralex

I adore the Green Chypre family, and this is the reference. The bottle I am using, from the early 90s, has an incredible amount of oakmoss. Lots of citrus in the top, too. The floral heart is mild and serves more to round out the compostion than make a statement. High quality ingredient, and Dior is not skimpy with them. I am happy to see that it has not undergone a massive reform to make it more marketable to the 21st century set. Wears very well due to the almost oily base (I note this also in older versions of Ma Griffe). Classic.

b.n. Definitely the grandmother of "Wrappings" by Clinique, but not as dry.

ineedavktion
ineedavktion

I don't know what it is about these types of perfumes...floral-chypre. I wanted so much to like this especially because of the lemon and lime but I just couldn't take it. I even waited a few hours to see if the scent died down to a smoother floral scent I could deal with and it didn't. This one is going back!

veruska
veruska

I must admit it took me a long time to fall for diorella maybe because i also had le parfum de therese by F.Malle and comparing the two i felt more inclined to wear the second. But in reality Diorella is the archetypic classic and in my own opinion deliciously unisex.It starts sweet but cool at the same time, and it becomes even more juicy, with a green springy mildly fruity rose heart. Definitely the pinnacle of floral fruity abstraction. No note is easy to indetify but this give a mesmerizing effect of sunshine early in an Easter April day.As for the drydown it heads to more masculine territory with a strange but attractive mildew note.A poem wriiten in the past, defining the future!

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

This is where Dior always wins. Diorella remains one of the most exquisitely structured fragrances ever created. The heart is a wonderful honeysuckle, neither sickly nor overpowering, due to soft clean top notes and a base that is warm and subtle, deepening the presence of the flower without interfering with it.

It's strange how few perfumes seem to work well with the signature of honeysuckle, perhaps because it could easily overtake everything, but this perfume shows Roudnitska's skill; If anyone wonders what is meant by a well harmonised perfume, Diorella is the perfect example. I do not use the word 'classic' often nor do I automatically treat famous perfumes with respect (too often a case of 'The Emperor's new clothes' )but to my mind, Diorella remains one of the most delicate and memorable perfumes ever.

ccr727
ccr727

I just bought this for my girlfriends mother as a bd gift. I'm told she's be wearing it for over 30 years just thought I would check some reviews.

elgab89
elgab89

Green, citrus, flowers - honeysuckle is the main note - and definitely mossy. This is a flower perfume that is not romantic, but would appeal more to a chic businesswoman. With this, she will be noticed, she will be powerful, she will be classy.
I understand the F_A_ description of "mono-scent" in the way that the perfume changes very little from the top notes to the base notes, however do not be fooled, it does not lack in complexity!

kiselina
kiselina

Classical and beautiful-the most beautiful bergamot in the perfume world!
Suitable for warmer seasons, in winter you might feel cold wearing it.
Unfortunately, it's hard to find it in the stores, especially in my country.

gigimarketing
gigimarketing

It's a classic...when I smell this I remember my mum getting ready to go out to some special dinner...very intense and very femminine

winx61

Strepitosa fragranza anni '70. Fresca, vivace, effervescente. Un classico per ogni momento della giornata. Ci sento il caprifoglio e il mughetto... ma quello che mi piace di piu' sono le note iniziali di limone e basilico... mettono il buon umore!!!

Diorella by Dior 4.12 out of 5 based on 434 ratings and 78 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dior Diorella fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dior Diorella, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Diorella by Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Diorella by Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.