Designers » D E » Oriental Floral « Groups

Dune Dior for women
dislike

I have it: 1544 I had it: 1814 I want it: 779 My signature: 58

Dune Dior for women Videos
Dune Dior for women Pictures Dune Dior for women Pictures Dune Dior for women Pictures Dune Dior for women Pictures Dune Dior for women Pictures

Dune symbolizes escape into the world of dreams where only peace resides; it’s a place where sun kisses the sea, rays of light gently caresses the skin and twinkle in the warm sand while the tinkling ocean breeze brings flowery wafts peony and lily. Dune was launched in 1991. This perfume is created by Nejla Barbir and its top note includes bergamot, mandarin, palisander, aldehyde, peony and broom followed by heart note composed of jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, lily, wallflower, lichen. Base notes are vanilla, patchouli, benzoin, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss, and musk. Its innovative bottle with rounded edges is designed by Veronique Monod. Dune also won a 1993 Fifi award. Bottle is available as 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette together with Bath & Body line. Dune was created by Jean-Louis Sieuzac and Nejla Barbir.

Aldehydes Peony Mandarin Orange Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood

Benetton Hot

Dune Fragrance Reviews

ellina1984
ellina1984

I get suh a distinct, dry, harsh, bitter note of tobacco in the beginning, that I've never waited for the heart, let alone the drydown. The tobacco note is really off-putting for me.

Lilah Veil

My love for Dune has now turned to love/hate. It has turned on me to a terribly melancholic fragrance with a sour note, very much like the smell of 70's-80's Play-Doh. Though I have not smelled Play-Doh in years and have no idea if they have changed the smell, those who are of a certain age should know exactly what I mean.

My once love is now depressing, too salty, soapy, Play-Doh, and my bottle is good. I detected these negative notes upon my love affair with it but they were only fleeting. Now they remain. There is a depressing quality about Dune I cannot describe, but discovered a great fix since I am not quite ready to end the relationship with a 3.4 oz barely used bottle. Anything with vanilla, amber, and sweet florals has the ability to breath new life into this sad, forgotten desert. Dune is like a dry desert that needs refreshment. I use a hint of sweetness to offset its blues. I defiled Shalimar by mixing it with Dune and loved it. Now it is the only way I can wear it. A good, quality sweet amber or other sweet scent will do the same. I can still smell the same Dune I had at the beginning of my love affair it is just so much more pleasant. Blue Dune's salty attitude was beginning to bore me to tears and wear on my nerves. Problem easily solved and still in love! :)

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

I've a mixed opinion on this scent. I absolutely adore the delicate floral gauzy top notes. If that's what Dune stayed at this would be in my top faves for certain.
But ... it doesn't . Dune then turns and becomes a near twin to Laura Biagiotti's Roma. A "suede" scent that my nose says " what suede?" as I get amber and herbs usually.
If anyone knows of a scent that's like the top notes only in the Dune parfum please PM me and let me know. Thanks!

kittybobmeowpants
kittybobmeowpants

Got a sample of the original from a swap and this fragrance is just lovely. Soft and sexy, I really like it. That's Dior for ya!

StarSpectra
StarSpectra

I would have to say that Beepert two reviews below mine is spot on. I too start out with rosewood, metal, plastic, and desolation. And I too wanted to scrub it off of my wrist. I however waited to see what would happen. As time goes by the metal, plastic, and desolation start to fade leaving me with just rosewood. This fading process seems to take about 30-45 mins on me. All in all it is an ok fragrance if you can wait the 45 mins. However there are so many better choices IMO.

boheme_maras
boheme_maras

I really adore this perfume im in love with its scent. When i smell it in my mind i can see a drunk woman listens to " Life in Mono " drinking and crying for the lost love.. So sensitive perfume !

Beepert
Beepert

I find Dune disturbing. Beneath the warm rosewood there is a strange metallic tang and the smell of plastic doll limbs. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing. The 'dune' is not one at a warm, sunshiney seaside, but rather one on a desolate lunar landscape.
It's the only fragrance I've had to scrub off my wrist. It was too depressing!

guachipiruli
guachipiruli

Dune is always part of my perfume collection. It reminds me of a summer I spent in italy close to Venice… ideal for warm nights with a little breeze… I was in love with a boy named Michael. I don´t perceive this fragrance harsh at all, very much the opposite. Don´t know what people are smelling when they say it has a urine note (??). Probably the short longevity (max 4hours on my wrist until only a faint vanilla musk is left over) is part of the mystery and beauty of this fragrance. It leaves a sillage in our memory... lingering away...

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I don't know how but I get some kind of screechy tuberose/urine smell even though there is no civet or tuberose listed . I also smell dried apricot. Not a big fan of this unfortunately:(

Bluemarinejosephine
Bluemarinejosephine

Okay, this is seriously nice stuff!! This is a collector’s item.

Therefore, any of you who are into the mass market nicey-nicey sickly sweet gourmand fragrances about princesses just move on to the next fragrance.

Because, this is a fragrance for those with an adult nose.

Some say there is a “sea breeziness” to it. I say, ignore the beachlike coziness that Dior marketing has tried to sell us. This is a French luxury scent with all the gestalt that comes with it: Sweet notes, floral notes, dry notes, wood notes, amber notes, resin notes, a subtle fruity note, pale musk notes, aldehyde notes, all coming and going in waves, intermixing, to create something very beautiful, unclassifiable and not at all predictable.

There is cerebral intelligence in this fragrance along with a harmonious quality of sensuality.
It is very difficult to analyze it. One must experience it directly.

There is something herbal, spicy-dry and mellow after the first spray, while the final outcome is fruity, rosey, delicately woody, slightly powdery, salty and ambery. It begins with an almost vintage feel through the interaction of aldehydes, rosewood, bergamot, rose-jasmin, tangerine, mellow fruits, herbs and vetiver. And then, it becomes a heavenly peony scent, honeyed and wonderful with patchouli starring until the end.

Some maybe at a loss as to where and when they can wear it. If you belong to this category then, just forget it, simply admire it from afar like a work of art and move on to the next fragrance.

Intense, long-lasting, fascinating, timeless.

Enjoy the perfume hunt!

idalicious
idalicious

advertising this fragrance introduces a total mistake! if it is considered to be a breath of summer, the coastal wind, I do not think I look like a seaside holiday ... after spraying this fragrance is released boa constrictor, who immediately goes into attack! I gave him my mom, who loves to severe service odors. I know it is a classic and can not be accused of class, but it is in any case a rookie.

arxsyn
arxsyn

So my friend gave me her holiday sampler coffret of Dior perfumes... I took to this one immediately. It truly did remind me of the desert... Intensely warm, cozy, powdery-spicy where cinnamon and possibly clove predominate. Evocative of the orange red sand illustration!

My memory is hazy so I don't remember much else from a few dabs on the wrist. I only have a mini 4 ml so I will have to treat it like liquid gold I suppose.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

What a strange, woody composition that borders on brilliant. I get a gorgeous orange pekoe amber that oozes warmth, woodiness and, surprisingly, freshness. I'm trying hard to identify the fresh, transcendent note. I'm guessing it's the rosewood, other florals and the mandarin orange.

I would probably not wear this in public but a really unique, trend-setting fashionista would. It's just not usual. It's on par with Balenciaga's latest but much better. It oozes a warm, gorgeous originality. After the strangeness hits you, the woodiness and comforting undertones sweep you into fantasy. Bordering on love for me.

scented2014
scented2014

have given it a few tries but no...(((normally i love woody, vanilla and powdery notes but this one is just too heavy and i cannot breathe even if apply really a little. woody? yes. but it smells dirty, dusty old wooden barn where my grandparents used to keep whatnot....and vanilla? yes, but as if sb spilt some sweet vanilla perfume in this old dusty barn...maybe it works out fine on ladies over 50...imho...

elph
elph

There is a lot of nostalgia in loving this perfume for me. Dune was my signature scent during my twenties. The woods and spices were always dominant on me, with a blast of aldehyde at the open and a lot of creamy vanilla on the close. This was never very floral with my body chemistry. I still adore it, even though I look for a stronger floral note nowadays.

MMT
MMT

Just got this in the mail, blind buy!

chronological:
dad's copenhagen (tobacco) - first 5 seconds
obsession - next 5 seconds
hayride - very sweet hay, touch of babysoft - last 30 minutes or so

I got this to wear while reading the book Dune b/c I'm silly like that. Am reading the book mainly while sweating in the sauna (multitasking), so the hay/wood will fit right in. Actually, I think that is also part of the scent - a cured, dry, warmed wood. Sandalwood is too specific, although listed as a component, this (both the sauna smell and the one in this perfume) is more just generic "wood."

Me like!

ivyheel
ivyheel

I desperately wanted to love this and feel all the nostalgic and precious emotions other reviews speak of. I blind-bought a 3.4oz bottle and good grief! This fragrance is so weird on me! It is incredibly woody but in a dirty, maybe putrid sense. I get the aldehydes but no freshness or florals. After several hours some vanilla peeks through and tries to salvage the drydown, but it's just not enough. That darned wood is so tenacious.

I tried to give this a second chance but I cannot figure out what occasion is suitable. So far I have only worn it once in public: to Home Depot where I was purchasing some wood. Dune felt right at home there - it had found its natural habitat among the lumber. And for a brief instant I felt justified wearing it.

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

Very woody, very warm, very classic smelling, not sweet at all. Reminds me of a cabin in the woods I've been to or the inside of a wooden drawer. Very well done if this is your thing.

Rielle
Rielle

The first spray, after I got my old formulation on ebay, was kind of a disappointment because it strongly reminded me of my father's woody old fashioned after shave in the 80's. BUT today I tried it again and from the first sniff all I smell is this beautiful sweet powdery creamy goodness. Wonder, how does it possible.

divan.badenhorstbotha
divan.badenhorstbotha

Dune is something special. I can't set apart any notes but it comes together as a hole and creates something ethereal and very special. Smelling dune has such a powerful memory trigger affect on me and transports me instantly back to the nineties! It was everywhere. Which is good news for today as it's not so in vogue and almost forgotten. So if you want to stand out from the crowd and be noticed get it. One of the most beuatifull dry downs ever!!!

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Brazilian girls who used to like the discontinued Crazy Feelings by O Boticário, will love Dune by Dior. This one was the inspiration for the Brazilian version. Same fragrance, but more refined and elaborated.

As brasileiras que gostavam do extinto Crazy Feelings d'O Boticário, irão adorar Dune da Dior. Esta foi a inspiração para a versão brasileira. Mesma fragrância, porém mais refinada e elaborada.

SolangeN
SolangeN

Tested this for the first time yesterday and was surprised at how close to Laura Biagiotti's Roma it is. Almost an exact dupe except Roma is less cloying and has a fresher citrus note running through it.

BringUsAShrubbery
BringUsAShrubbery

To me, this smells old-fashioned. Maybe it's just that I am not a big fan of woody or spicy scents. Oh well, I tried. I wanted to like it based on some very romantic reviews, but it's just not my thing.

Very very strong, quite overwhelming. It's kind of old-fashioned. I like the woody notes and spiciness of this perfume. I think the most dominant notes are amber, sandalwood and benzoin.
Nothing sweet or fresh here.
This perfume is serious, calm and sophisticated. Not very good for every day scent, but perfect for evenings.
Classic!

ForrealMe2
ForrealMe2

Dune has a special place in my heart. My grandmother who passed away on Valentine's Day a year ago bought me this fragrance when i was younger...she always had great taste and she bought me a gift set with the lotion in the 90's. It was a powerhouse fragrance then i don't know what it smells like now but i think it was a bit mature for my age now that i look back but i wore the heck out of that stuff till there was no more because it was expensive..now i know it was Dior!..i should have kept the bottle but who would have known about reformulations and discontinuations when your young..for that reason i probably will buy another bottle for keep sake purposes...Dune was all about the aldehydes so it was pretty dense & musky but it was a sweet yellow floral,woody amber scent reminiscent of a romantic setting of sitting outside a fancy restaurant in a nice cool breeze drinking fine wine and watching as the sun sets....the bottle had the right setting from the fragrance to the color..just like a sunset..it was one of the best presents she ever got me as a young lady growing up..and yes it lasted all day as all 90's fragrances did..i wonder if it is as special now as it was then..this fragrance isn't for the faint of heart it is a total woman fragrance...but if you can pull it off,enjoy!

Brock
Brock

Simply the greatest fragrance around, period. Warm but distant. I try not to wear it too often so that I don't tired of it. But, really, I could bathe in it forever and still be perfectly content. Hope Dune never goes away.

Marie76
Marie76

This is a multilayered, complex, multifaceted creation. It opens up green and dry ( salicilates?) , almost " pretty", but soon enough an exuberant, decaying lily makes it's appearance, along with smokey, caramelised woods of some sort...the concoction changes with you for days ( the sillage of Dune is phenomenal), the white notes are somehow never creamy or succulent, in fact I'd say yellow flowers such as calendula come to forth, despite them not being listed...it is one of the most interesting perfumes I've ever worn,, but it is just not pretty, not beautiful in me at all. Not a perfume to seduce, nor to cocoon yourself in, not to escape. It is evocative of something that left you a bit bruised, perhaps, a love affair gone bad. There is something of a masterpiece in this, but not anything truly attractive in it for me.

death_by_water
death_by_water

If you were walking in the desert all dried up by the heat and dreamed of an oasis beyond the dunes, then this would be it. An exotic heaven warmed by sun rays, where cocktails made of gorgeous flowers would be waiting for you to drink them.
If you ever find yourselves craving for the sun, then go buy this, it's the sun in a bottle. This is the smell of light on naked, sleepy skin.
This perfume does not need a season to justify it. Should be worn in all weathers. Lush, enveloping, pampering... I absolutely love it!

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

It is gorgeous, very warm, I get a spicy powdery peach vanilla from it, classic but sensual, and evocative of a morning or evening on a beach. Wish it was not so pricy, it is beautiful.

ETA: I found a much bigger bottle for the same price as a puny little bottle was going for in my town, much better bargain!

zzMaja
zzMaja

Used to wear this one years ago and I am still fond of it. I can remember really enjoying it. It made me feel very fresh and outdoorsy, earthy and sexy all at the same time. By the way if any of you are getting a bit of a "hairspray" scent with this one - just to let you know men generally find that scent arousing and sexy as long as it is not overdone ! Cheers!

Velvet_Touch

When I tried this, first time, I was feeling like Cleopatra in Egypt. Mysterious, classy, spicy and woddy notes made me feel incredible.And it still does! After receiving it from Strawberrynet, I have been sniffing it for hours. Even one of my friends bought it afterwards, first asking me if I mind to have her around with the same perfume on.

kelleybelle
kelleybelle

Goodness, what a beauty! I was so lucky to find a vintage bottle on eBay, original formula. I put a little on my hand between my thumb and forefinger and have been sniffing myself for 4 hours. I'd smelled this in passing before but never realized quite how gorgeous it really is. Sweet baby powder drydown. I washed my hands earlier and the scent is still there, powerful as ever. Go for the old formula, ladies, and gents if you will :)

amyewest
amyewest

Dune was almost entirely aldehydic for me; enough so that it put me in mind of all of the numbered Chanels I've tried (5, 19, 22), each of which I find sharp to harsh There were also hints of saltiness, aniseed and maybe metal? What's left after washing off is very pleasant, but not compelling. It feels like a cross between Chanel No. 5 in the top notes and Patou Sublime in the base notes. Both Dune and Sublime's base notes remind me of White Diamonds. Not sure what's generating the hint of cinnamon in all three - benzoin I guess, but that's what common among them to my nose. Didn't leave it on long enough to test longevity. Silliage might be more than moderate, but I don't think so. It's cold here now, I tested it on the back of my hand and my coat rubbed against my hand. So, it could have been mellow because of that or because it's really not very loud.

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

I have no idea why, but all I can smell when I try this is Vivienne Westwood Boudoir! Same bubblegum and hairspray scent as I get from that one.
Jasmine and roses?

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

If I were to go to a post-Apocalyptic party after Armageddon, this is what I would wear. I bet the Curiosity Rover smells like this when it gets back from its expeditions on Mars: vintage Dune.

Dune is beautiful in the way that hot deserts are beautiful, with visions of shimmering mirages of a body of water, either real or imagined — or cavernous orange-colored terra cota caves hiding the bones of mysterious dead animals, bleached by the sun. The sound of flying sand and undulating waves of heat, the way yellow diamonds sparkle outdoors in sunlight and cast bright reflections that shimmer on salty skin…

How can something that is barely human be so sultry and sensual?

[Edit:] What is very intriguing, is that I also get a very "cut-stemmy vegetal" note in this. It is DELICIOUS.

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

Not for the faint of heart. I get imagery of a lumberjack cutting wood in a remote forest, and the wanderer makes his way over and past, only to discover there is somehow a sandy desert nearby, with no life, just heat. It is a very sad sort of fragrant, and is one of the most masculine I've smelled on myself. I like it because it is extremely unique in the same way Mitsouko might be. It's an acquired taste.

Fabien77
Fabien77

Just as kiristarr, I used to wear Dune on my university days. Last year I bought a 30 ml bottle, in order to rediscover the pleasure I used to have. It was different. I am not an expert to detect reformulation, but I remember it was better in the past.
Today, I do love the top notes: it is indeed heaven on earth. Mix of florals, bergamote and marine breeze.
But after 5 minutes, it turns to be something detestable to my nose. It is sandy and sweet, which I dislike. This phase lasts several hours, to finally settle down in a more comfortable dry down, with sandalwood present.
If there wasn't this unpleasant eternal middle notes, this would be the scent of my life.

kiristarr
kiristarr

I recently purchased a bottle of Dune, not having smelled it since the 90s, when I wore it in high school. Initially, I was a bit disappointed. Dune no longer seemed to be the exquisite fragrance I remembered loving. I wondered if this had to do with the much discussed reformulation. But then I recalled that I had truly fallen in love with Dune when my best friend in high school started wearing it. The fragrance was never as spectacular on me. On my friend, Dune was a rich, full fragrance, so decadent that it bordered on being too much. But it was just right. On me, the scent always had a dry, sandy quality to it. I assume, given the name, that this sandiness is an intentional note. And the scent of dry sand is still prominent on my skin. I don't dislike the sandiness, but sadly, Dune will never be as intoxicating on me as it was on my best friend. Nevertheless, I enjoy wearing it, and one sniff allows me to recall the splendor of this scent on Lesley and the loveliness of her friendship.

schamberae
schamberae

exactly smell like traditional scrub powder from Java called Lulur. very strong at the beginning almost nauseating. I experienced this on Cartier Le baiser du Dragon and I gave it to my BF and he likes it. but Dune's dry down is delicate and not as strong as LBDG.i

surprise.. got my first compliment from boyfriend, friend and mum. my bf said this is the right scent for me as it is not too sweet and has the masculine edge. and I think so, thanks to the patchoulli, my other perfume that has patchoulli on it give the same sensation. pheromone ..which sooo sexy.

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

"Oh yummy...what perfume is that you're wearing?"

"It's a new one called Dune....by Christian Dior"

"Wow really? I found the smell pretty nasty when I tried it last week"

"Ah, well let me give you a little lesson about Body Chemistry..."

That is how a conversation started with a friend of mine back in high school. I recall sampling this perfume on one of our usual shopping trips with my Mum and brother. It was definitely unique to me. It almost feels wrong to call this a fragrance since I feel it is something more of an experience. Upon spritzing it, it seemed to give me visions of a peaceful seaside that breathes out a warm floral breeze upon sun-kissed skin. It is the scent of an oasis hidden amongst the hot, arid Sahara winds that guide you to its direction.

This fragrance lavishes you with delicate yet enrobing ingredients to soothe yet stimulate your senses. It is beautifully balanced, has depth, dimension, personality, and mystique. It seems that each ingredient compliments each other without overpowering. Perfectly orchestrated and executed. I love this gorgeous perfume and glad to see it back on the shelves!

Lilah Veil

After reading reviews on this, I jumped in a did a big blind Dune buy of a 3.4 EDT I just received today. This is the strangest fragrance I have ever had the honor of sticking my nose in. Strange, odd, alluring, sexy, earthy, raw, salty/sweaty skin-scent. Hard for me to believe this one eluded me all these years. I keep checking my wrist and it's growing on me fast like a second skin. Being a child of the 70's musks and patchoulis followed by powerhouse 90's frags, I am accustomed to heady herbs, florals, fruits, spices and am a true oriental fragrance lover. I can place this blend in no particular category at all as yet. This disturbs and excites me at the same time. I found this extremely overwhelming and strong on first tiny spritz but as the dry down continues it only gets better. I detect very little floral, but a hefty yet soft mixture of wood, sea, moss, sandalwood on sunny, partly cloudy and rainy days of all seasons. I think... I am in love. :) One of my best blind buys ever! Dune is complex and simple, interesting, sensuous, not really mysterious yet intriguing, an earthy delight. This is the scent of a woman's skin after taking a soap bath in the sea. This stuff is strangely brilliant and I applaud Dior for capturing this natural essence. Not particularly gorgeous, sparkly, glam, etc, it simply IS and stands alone. I do LOVE it! Oh my goodness... *huffs wrist again* Ahhhhh.....

Edit - I noticed this is quite drier than most of my other scents and like that because I needed something different and unusual as this. However, I adore Dune as/is. There need be no improvement on this oddly unique fragrance but I tried an experiment anyway. One wrist Dune, the other Dune with the most syrupy thing I had on hand - Hillary Duff's "With Love" which I cannot tolerate alone. I spritzed a tiny bit atop the Dune and well, well, well.... What did that invent but a completely heavenly champagne as luxurious as one can imagine. Dune Divine. The mix was a hit because Dune has such an overall natural scent it can handle an over-the-top candy or floral and balance it beautifully. My mix made for a rich, natural scent laced with honey to create a splendid and dressier blend of "I'm incredible and effortless at being this way." Just a hint for those who reviewed it as melancholy, dry, unisex and would like to punch it up and out of that entirely if you own if already.

I read a "With Love" review in which someone referred to it as a "mermaid's scent." Lovely phrase and no offense, but I cannot imagine a mermaid smelling like caramel butter popcorn and sandalwood. If there ever was a "mermaid scent", Dune is The One And Only "Mermaid Scent" and that imagery nails only this fragrance spot on.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

It smells very simple, airy and clean, in a very delicate and feminine way, with a musky and powdery feel. I don't pick up on many of the listed notes, for me it's all about the wood and/or the imaginary anise. The vanilla is very subdued and well behaved on this one.

Update: The powderyness I talked about, if that is the right word, is nothing like talcum. It reminds me, instead, of saw dust.

lila1990
lila1990

Timeless...gorgeous a true masterpiece! Fell in love with Dune since childhood as I always associate the smell of resinous wood and florals with my Nana. Reminds me of the smell of the boat house we'd have fish frys at in the summertime. Creaking old wood, must, and the beautiful smell of the wild flowers growing all around waving their pungent sweet smell in the air. Magic.

all4knowledge
all4knowledge

I bought this in the 1990s after reading an interview with one of the chicks from SWV...she said she wore it and I said "why not try it?"

Big mistake. I wouldn't say I hate it but I definately don't like it.

I never wear this scent. It smells very woody and masculine.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

This is another perfume I have discovered recently.
One of my favourite ever fragrances is L'occitanes Neroli (I think mine is from the "voyage en medittaranee" range, I am not sure if this is the same as the "notre fleur" version listed in the database)and I was so sad to discover that it had been discontinued. I bought 2 bottles when I found out to stash away, but ever since I have been on the lookout for something similar as it just fits me so well. In the summer it feels sultry and sensual, in the winter it is warm and cosy, it suits my skin beautifully and I NEEDED something to fill that gap.
I happened upon Dune by chance, wandering around the department store. It was not something I would have usually tried as many dior scents simply do not suit me but the golden juice in the bottle caught my eye. I am not keen on many of the dior scents I have tried but I gave this a spray onto the blotter and I liked it right away.
On my next visit I tried it on my skin and it smelled pretty much true to the blotter, although over the next half hour or so it warmed up into something even more wonderful - and very redolent of my beloved discontinued "neroli".
This, to me, has slightly more spice and woodiness than "neroli" and also I think more vanilla? However I find it a similar experience and it suits well what I was looking for - warm, this is definitely a warm fragrance, it envelops me and projects moderately. It is warm, orangey, neroli, ambery, vanilla, hint of sandalwood and slightly sweet...lovely. It is not quite the same as and I think I possibly favour the "neroli" but this is beautiful and something I imagine I will be using for a long time. I have bought a 30ml bottle but will probably get a 50 or 100ml next time as this suits most occasions for me (outside of work)and it makes me feel happy.

jht4060
jht4060

Dior Dune (Femme) is an elegant spicy Oriental that seems quite unisex to me. Perhaps it is just the marketing suggestion of dunes, but this does somehow evoke Arabian sand dunes to me (not seaside dunes). Having written that, I can't even suggest why I am reminded of dunes; perhaps my mind is more subject to suggestion than I like to think. Or maybe it makes me think of the spice melange in the novel Dune. The top and middle of the perfume is immediately accessible with mildly spicy notes that I can't categorize layered over a modest rosy floral accord and eventually morphing to a classic resiny vanilla and sandalwood base. Some of the listed notes make no sense to me (broom? lichen? wallflower?) but at least they aren't accompanied by fantasy adjectives (witch's broom, grey lichen, chilly wallflower).

Plus that naked woman sprawled in the sand is drop dead sexy. I am unusually resistant to advertising and sales pitches but that one is memorable. As is often the case, it has nothing to do with the scent, but still...

stillsinnend
stillsinnend

Oh, how this one saddens me. It's a well-made, complex and intriguing perfume but it has a depressing quality I cannnot possibly pinpoint. For reasons unknown, it takes me straight back to 3rd grade and makes me deeply upset. Did something happen back then... an unpleasant, long-buried memory perfumed with Dune? I hope I never find out.

tara2013
tara2013

It is so divine....the best parfume ever .

I can stick with this for 5 or 10 years. It makes me addicted .
Love...love..love it

almostgreta
almostgreta

Dune has a beautiful scent in the bottle, rich and complex. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my skin, and somehow, even the scent from the bottle doesn't stay with me; I smell it, walk away, and forget. I don't know why it doesn't make an impression on me. Dune and I were just not meant to be. There's something remote about it, in a bad way.

kmcgrath
kmcgrath

Wow! I love complex fragrances that take you on a journey, and Dune is one such fragrance.

It opens with intense warm and spicy oriental notes which die down quickly. Powdery and masculine heart notes emerge creating a very unique experience. Dune is sexy in an androgynous way, like wearing your boyfriend’s button down shirt to bed.

I can’t remember the last time I was so intrigued by a fragrance! It’s not one I’ll wear frequently but I feel the need to have it in my fragrance arsenal.

Tamsey
Tamsey

i liked it at first but it gives me headache...the smell of mandarin is overpowering..

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

The new Dune is a bright, sparkling scent with the mosses crisp and clear, lying low to the skin. But where's the punch of the old Dune? It's supposed to take me away, at least it used to. But the new Dune takes me nowhere, and I waited and waited. The opening is a ghost of what it should be, what it used to be. It lasts for barely an hour and quietly slips away. Shame, shame and more shame.
I realize that many cannot purchase the old formula but if you can, look for it instead of the newest formulation. It will be money well spent.
Unless I want to continue spraying, it's vintage Dune for my selection.

Yohji
Yohji

I heard its one of Kate Middleton's favs as well. She is even more stunning in my eyes then))

Scarlett2709
Scarlett2709

I really wanted to love this perfume as I love Dior fragrances. Sadly not for me. Too chemical smelling and reminded me of a cross between air freshener and furniture polish. Gifted it to my Mum and she wore it really well, it was gorgeous on her.

briones
briones

masterpiece ........ unique

krmarich

I was able to hunt down a vintage bottle containing the dark amber juice. This batch is from 1996. It is basically deeper and richer than the current one on the market that I found on clearance at WalGreens. Yes, I ended up tossing it in the rubbish. They were the same price, ironically.

Dune is/was a perfect perfume that was a luscious pseudo-gourmand that is a true "floriental" focusing on the exotic woody heart. I get rosewood, sandalwood and amber of course among the various other floral notes only augment this beauty, yes peony is obvious from the opening and provides the powdery effect until it fades after several hours later. Ah, the precious stargazer lily drifts about gently. I was so curious about wallflower that I have been growing it in my garden since I discovered the note in this wonder. The mandarin is pure sunshine in a bottle.

The tonka/vanilla are rich, dark and you can almost taste them. This is the last batch containing oakmoss. Paired with vetiver and patchouli, they made Dune soar. The sandalwood runs deep and is creamy and authentic, a bit like vintage Samsara. Those were the days. It sensuous, comforting and warm. Its like an oboe with its contralto notes! I doubt if we shall ever smell such beauty ever again.

My vintage box has the black bar around the bottom and of course the juice is darker. If you are curious, search for one of these babies. Its the only way to experience Dune.

Dune is now a weak chemical cocktail that lasts about 20 minutes. Ironically, She was only around like this for about 8 years, and much loved by those lucky enough to encounter it. There were no flankers like Poison. The men's version failed in comparison. This one works just fine on my skin and with restraint, is fine in public.

Enigma7510
Enigma7510

Is it the kind of aldehyde that gives this perfume it's strong and initially overpowering chemical scent? I love love the drydown on Dune, really dimensional and powdery, sophisticated and unusual. Definitely a signature scent, if you can stay by yourself for the first 45 miutes you wear it so you don't knock anyone out with the pungent metallic scent rush. Love/hate this perfume, and finally gave up on it.

nitschevo
nitschevo

Love this scent - definitely on my whishlist! :) It's so elegant and balmy but at the same time fresh. And really unique! Last weekend I passed a woman that used Dune and I almost chased her! :D

eachuisge
eachuisge

I'm conflicted on this one. My first impression was of an overly harsh, chemical odour and it felt far too mature for me at 26. I don't know enough about individual notes to know what was the cause, but I wasn't too impressed. However, about two hours later, what is left is the most wonderfully intoxicating scent. It is warm and dark, woody, even quite smoky on my skin and it's wonderful. I feel that it is better suited to cooler weather though, so I might put it away until after summer when the weather starts to cool down again, maybe then I will be able to tolerate the opening better.

hehehihi
hehehihi

Version before the reformulation. I don't like aldehydes, I hate ylang-ylang but I love Dune. Some people think that is 'aunty' scent - don't listen them. It's very feminine, deep, a little bit moody and changeable but interesting. There is the most beautiful sandalwood I've ever known. When you're wearing this you don't feel dressed up, Dune is your second skin.

I adore the advertising, very innocent, sensual and seductive. Dune reminds me of bliss, happiness, lying on the beach touched by sun and breeze...

alicektn
alicektn

This is how an alien's dream of earth smells like...

AnyaB
AnyaB

When I was beginning my adventure with perfumes, I approached the task of choosing the right one methodically: I wanted a long-lasting and inoffensive smell, to wear in all circumstances (save to the gym/hiking trip, that is:)). Naturally, Dior's Dune came up, but when I smelled the samples, I didn't like it at all. It smelled an old lady to me. Plus, I was disappointed not to detect any sand, any salty wind, in a word - any dune. A fir forest, if anything.
However, I gave it a try: I sprinkled my wrist and went to my classes. I was totally surprised by the effect: everybody loved it! What's more, they complimented everything about me, not realizing that I'm just wearing a new scent.
Now it's my signature scent. I'm always complimented on it, though people rarely realize that it's Dior that works the charm around me. Additionally, it makes me feel happy and comfortable, usually the peak of the good mood comes after 3 hours from application.
I must add that I still don't particularly like the scent itself. But if it works such miracles, what's there to criticize? :)
From my experience, Dune is inoffensive, not to delicate, but moderate (edt), reasonably long-lasting (8 hours on me, doesn't beat Chanel, though). Never noticed any particular sillage. On my skin it's rather fresh, and I like to wear it with jeans and a shirt, but works with a black dress as well.

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

It reminds me of my univerity years!
On my 43s, I still wear it and adore it in the summer months!
It was a love from the first sniff!
Love you Dune!

BikiniBabe
BikiniBabe

I went to the mall today and so i had the chance to try out some more perfumes. Dune was one of them =)

It started off a bit scary for me - something between a chypre floral and some aquatic citrusy aldehyde mix...neither really smell good on me btw. But as i went on with my shopping it started to calm down and the middle and base notes started to come through. It was a pleasant surprise =) it turned into this woody warm balmy fragrance.

For some reason it made me think of expensive cream cashmere sweaters... while sipping tea in a shabby chic reception area, and talking about gardening. LOL - sorry i got carried away a bit. But seriously... to me this perfume smells like a high society woman.

I think I'm still a bit young to be able to wear this as a daytime perfume (im in my mid 20's)... but i might be able to pull it off with some elegant evening wear. I will definitely own this perfume at some point =)

mhubbard
mhubbard

From the moment I first smelled this some 20 years ago, I knew I had found my holy grail. Despite the many ensuing years and a massive search for anything that would even approach the haunting beauty of this scent...all has been to no avail. Dune has me and always will. Beware, it takes no prisoners.

relle
relle

Very balmy on me, no green, great longevity and non-offensive for office to date times. This has been a long-time favorite of mine, yet I don't reach for it often enough. If anyone wants to swap I'm up for offers.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Knowing nothing much of perfume I bought this for my mother one Christmas when I was a child. My mother is perhaps the sunniest, most down to earth person, while even then I was gloomy. Dune is the union of these opposites: vibrant but moody.

The original formula really is lovelier, but the new is fine. I can see where the bland royal Kate would wear the remake; it's a bit gentler and almost a heavy sport oriental. Something in the new isn't dry or deep enough though.

The non-calone aquatic bright side of Dune comes from sunspot aldehydes, somehow rich citrus, and amber like hot sand. The new retains that basic character.

The old formula with sandalwood and moss intact is eerie and panoramic, perhaps one of the most aptly named fragrances-all news stories of cascading sand dunes terrorizing unsuspecting beach goers. The palisander smells like washed-up flotsam. The monk's garden herbs evoke ocean plant life. A distinct wave of bitter chocolate and salty tears hits in the middle. The construction of Dune is odd and wall-of-noise-like, very blurred and blended into a cola.

The subtle standout of the whole composition is a meaty but astoundingly statuesque lily that bobs up and down in a thick spill of oaky, resinous patchouli murk.

Dizzyingly heady and sweetly puzzling. This brings the gothic and ornate to the beach.

diana_drd
diana_drd

There is something special about this one, I think it's the classiest Dior perfume hands down, a perfect blend of woody/green/floral notes. I can't think of any other perfume I can compare it with. Can't really distinguish the notes, what I get most is a captivating mix of warm woody lilac leaves, and even if it has great longevity and sillage it's more comforting and creates a little mistery rather than beeing in your face like most of the other Dior perfumes.

Saltaire
Saltaire

This reminds me a lot of Roma, which is sort of my signature scent. I'm surprised, that pink grapefruit is not listed among the ingredients here.
To my nose Dune is a bit drier and "saltier" than Roma, more suitable for hot days. Dry, salty, warm, relaxed, citrus-y but not fruity. Very, very nice. I like it a lot.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Wow...I am intoxicated by this beauty.I must agree with uniquecoco on this being transported to a faraway place. I am standing in a sea of beige. A very dry, salty canvas. As the visibility starts to clear I realize I am standing below the pyramids of Egypt. I come upon an oasis as clear blue as the skies...or was it just a mirage? Something permeates the air with a warm, comforting fragrance. The scent of exotic wood...of earth, feminity, so close to nature. Something of an exotic spicy nature.

Among the lovley trees I see something slinking in the darkness, taking on the shape of a black cat. I am drawn to follow her along the path lined with the most beautiful lilies and ylang ylang, I am mesmerized by the most beautiful powdery, oriental scent. I have just entered Cleopatra's Boudoir. This is Christian Dior's Dune to me...an exotic fantasy.
Lovely.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I've been wanting to try Dune for a long time now, but was a little afraid; I expected it to be a sillage monster, and with the blend of notes thought it could be either lovely or horrible on my skin. A fellow Fragrantican swapped me a vintage sample vial, and I'm finally able to try this fragrance.

It is lovely, and it is so much more subtle that I ever could have imagined. Yes, it is complex, but not busy or chaotic. It is amazing how well the perfumers convey a sense of overarching dryness--dry bergamot in the opening; unfolding into dry vanilla, dry amber, dry cedary-woody-sandal, and finally a very unique, dry patchouli. Where other perfume have spices, Dune has dryness. Not dry as in parched or dessicated, not dry as in drained of substance and vitality--but dry as in timeless simplicity, weathered yet eternal.

I do agree that this has a bit of a masculine sense to it, and I love masculine fragrances so it is fine with me. I think this is easily a unisex fragrance; anyone who loves a complex Oriental Floral (heavy in sandalwood) will appreciate Dune.

rockegg
rockegg

I have loved Dune as much as I ever loved a perfume in my life.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

Lovely, heavy, intoxicating middle-eastern-type floral. Spicy and dry, like a mythical desert wind. The feeling of longing or sadness it evokes is fascinating; I *think* it might be due to an immortelle accord that makes you smell something unidentifiable from childhood, stirring up an unsettling feeling because the scent and memories it invokes are just out of reach. I've been sniffing myself all day, trying to put my finger on it, but it is just amazing how the perfumer plays tricks on your memory.

Ditta70
Ditta70

Some fragrances have a strange history with me, one of them being Dune. When it came out in 1991, it was worn by two women I had issues with at that time, so I associated it with unpleasant people. Therefore I left it well alone for more than two decades, before recently reading about it in Turin/Sanchez and here on Fragrantica. So I went to a perfumery yesterday, and courageously I sprayed it on myself right away. Wow...yes, I understand the enthusiasm now! Dune is a masterpiece. Full stop. It is perfect. Interesting, many facetted, seducing, enveloping, confident, addictive. It goes all the way from the fruity-green-flowery top notes through flowery woody heart to that divine, gentle dark chocolate in the drydown. I just love the dry, hot air feel of it, which I cannot associate with any of the individual notes, it is rather as if something completely new would be created by the sum of the parts. I do not get the dark bleakness, to my nose and my mind it is a very soft, gentle, warm scent. Yes, admittedly it is slightly aloof for a while, but it is an aloofness that, if given time, opens up and shows an incredible array of beautiful secrets. I love perfumes that change a lot on me, that tell stories, atmospheres, show different faces, always come up with something new and surprizing, that I haven't noticed before. I am sure Dune is just such a perfume, and I am looking very much forward to wearing it in different seasons, weathers, moods. May it be around for a long time, and may it avoid some disastrous reformulation!

UPDATE: by a strange quirk of synchronicity, I watched the movie The Lover today...well, the mood of this film, especially what is unseen, just suggested, IS Dune for me. So strange that I meet these two things now together! And so strange that they come from the same time: 1991 and 1992...

"She had wept, because she had thought of that man from Cho Lon, her lover. And suddenly she wasn't sure of not having loved him, with a love she hadn't seen, because it had lost itself in the story like water in the sand, and that she was rediscovering it now, in this moment of music, flung across the sea." (from The Lover)

umtaleb
umtaleb

fenugreek

Jillita
Jillita

The only Dior that works with my chemistry and I am under its spell. Just after spray, very green, orange, moss, aldehyde, ozone, clover field, jasmine, then a buttery cantaloupe just to the verge of nauseating. This is the magic mushroom effect, because just as I think I'm going to be sickened, the frag settles down into intoxicating territory. Heart notes include precious wood warmed in the sun, desert wind, smoke and incense, preserved lemon, white pepper. Hours later, as the sun slips behind the sand, and the notes fade into memory, a hint of amber, vanilla, black patchouli, and the ghost of a single honeysuckle bloom, vetiver(?), and a faraway marine. A mirage, no doubt. This is a gorgeous, gorgeous, warm woody oriental that also masquerades in turns as a floral chypre. A tremendous concoction. I overdosed, wearing it as part of my day wardrobe for three days. I learned the lesson well that the infrequent dose makes it all the more special, and that I should never overindulge its singular trip.

ETA: Months later, I had to offload Dune. I couldn't stop feeling queasy wearing it. I kept smelling an off-putting marigold note. It was simply too overwhelming for me. Too bad.

terigurl
terigurl

I bought this fragrance on a blind buy going on just the reviews. It's a very strong fragrance and smelled like maple syrup to me. I did smell some beachy smell to it but the maple syrup smell was the strongest. It's not for me.

stormyla
stormyla

I've never had much luck with Dior fragrances. This is undoubtedly my fault, firstly because they are always so popular that you smell them everywhere and on everyone. I don't like to be so obvious, in my book a bit of mystery is a good thing. Wearing the "hot new scent" has never appealed to me.

The more practical reason is that since the creation of Poison, I have avoided the Dior counters. It is virtually impossible to visit one where someone is not trying that scent which unfortunately makes me ill. I long ago started buying my Dior cosmetics only through the mail in order to escape the "Poisonous" fumes.

Recently I acquired a large box of vintage Dior fragrances and have spent some time catching up on 20 years worth of Dior perfumes. So far Dune in it's vintage EDT formulation has been the fragrance that has most caught my fancy. I will also say that I had previously tried a mini of Dune's current formulation and was also very intrigued by that.

I like everything about this fragrance right down to the bottle. The opening is glorious. At first I thought that I was smelling licorice or anise, but then realized that it was the fruit & spices in the opening. I adore the combination of oranges and spices.

Being one of those people who is always hot, many fragrances become cloying or turn sour on me over time. Consequently I try all new scents several times and always under different circumstances. The other day I decided to give Dune the acid test and really put it through it's paces.

I wore this fragrances in a heavy application all day on a hot humid day that began with an intense workout at the gym followed by 7 sweaty hours working in my garden. Wave after wave of a constantly evolving warm comforting truly beautiful aroma seasoned my entire day and night. There is such a lovely complex spicy sunny sweetness to this fragrance.

I don't get any feeling of sand or beach from this scent. Rather I find a sun kissed sweet earthiness to it. If there is such a thing, I would consider this a sunny summer oriental, which I'm sure might also do a great job of bringing the feel of summer sun into a dull dreary winter's day.

Needles to say this will be a keeper for me. I may even go in search of another bottle of the vintage juice!!

I did not get the sense that this is an offensive sillage bomb, but the sillage felt just about right, maybe two or three feet. The longevity was incredible distinctly dicernable the next day, impressive for an EDT.

I wanted to add for any of you gardeners out there, this fragrance attracted absolutely no insects unlike one that I unfortunately wore last week.

Denise Fernandes
Denise Fernandes

Um perfume maravilhoso, que vem de uma época onde se faziam perfumes poderosos e únicos, e não algo como as atuais água de chuchu de hoje, que são bem aguadas e muitas cheiram de forma igual.

Dune é da época que um perfume era para se vestir, e não somente ser um pequeno adicional a mais na pessoa que durasse uma ou duas horas.

Amo ter os clássicos nas prateleiras e eu poder sentir a beleza de algumas pequenas jóias da perfumaria. Hoje, o encanto de se fazer perfumes como Dune por exemplo, parece que está perdido.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * * *

I'm a sucker for classics and woody orientals, and I'm generally not concerned with the arbitrary gender distinctions perfume marketers place on fragrances. So naturally, I was drawn to Dior's austere masterpiece, Dune.

I loved it. It was perfectly unisex, with just enough spice, wood, and patchouli. I detected some faint notes of chocolate and orange as well, reminding me of Hermes' Elixir des Merveilles. In fact, that is the contemporary fragrance that is closest to Dune, imo.

After dispensing with the weak and unnecessary opening salvo of adlehydes, Dune quickly settles into its groove. I see why it was so-named, for it brings to mind the great Sahara itself: endlessly austere, beautiful, ever-shifting and yet essentially unchanging.

This is a mainstream masterpiece whose popularity has receded to the point where most casual observers might mistake it for a trendy new niche. Simply marvelous.

Sillage: 4/5

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

I love all kinds of orientals especially woody/ spicy/ vanilla..
I smell the nice warm oriental here However this one also gives a green note, and personally I cant stand greens so that ruins it for me

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

The nose for Dune, Jean-Louis Sieuzac, also created such iconic scents as Opium for YSL, Bel Ami for Hermes, Oscar for De la Renta, and Fahrenheit, also for Dior. On my skin, Dune in the woman's marketed version in EDT concentration is dry herbs, non-cloying florals, precious woods and resins baked in the hot sun. The blending of these components is magnificently handled.
Compared to Opium,oversprayed by women everywhere when it was introduced, Dune is downright subtle in its presence. It's a keeper for those who are patient enough to let it evaporate fully on your skin and let the magic happen.

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

My first love in perfumes was the original Dune by Dior EDP, not the * Beep * currently being sold in EDT form. But a great sandalwood perfume which sadly now just is a thing of the past.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I've never seen so many obnoxious or offensive reviews on such a beautiful, original perfume before. I highly recommend that you inspect the wardrobe of people who dislike this before forming an opinion or avoiding a blind buy. They might be into an entirely different style.

I find this perfume to be highly misunderstood. I think if you do not get the "magic" behind it, then yes, it might not be your style of fume. And if you gave it a chance and it is not for you, yes, this is totally cool as well. You will have something constructive to share with other members so they can either relate or imagine this perfume themselves.

About the scent, now. First, I must say that I'm reviewing the newer EdT version. I have fond memories of the potency and complexity of the older formulation, but I'm quite pleased with the one I have. And also, it was a gift from someone dear, therefore even more precious.

I don't recommend trying this one on a very hot Summer day. It blooms better in colder weather, and is less cloying or heavy on the senses. I also don't recommend writing a review if your perfume has gone off because that is beyond irrelevant to anyone else.

The genius behind this perfume for me is how they combined the citrus, aldehydes and rosewood to give it that "hot" vibe. It does smell like hot sand, but not literally, to me. It smells like the hot sand from old novels that take place in the desert. The one you imagine in your head, in your own fantasy world. This has nothing to do with the typical aldehyde perfumes that people like to label as... well, you know.

Most of the flowers used here are warm notes themselves, and the perfume gets warmer and warmer after the opening, to finally settle down... just like sand after a sandstorm.

This is a scent for a sexy archeologist from older days, alone with her crew on a quest to discover treasures in Cairo. If Indiana Jones was a woman, she'd be wearing this.

I love it, I agree it is very different and if you are put off by it, at least tell us why and personally, I do not care which famous person wears it. If you can't stand the "heat", it's still not an excuse to be so demeaning!

No wonder Dior has started to make weaker, lighter, less original fumes if their marketing people read these reviews.

HankyPanky
HankyPanky

Dune...
Traveling me into an other world, what I maybe saw in my dreams.
This fragrance can be open a dimension door.
Warm desert wind,roaring ocean somewhere, salty breeze, burning sand,the sunset lasts forever.
Time stopped. I let over my fears.
There is nothing, there is nobody around.
Just my lonley, intimate, quiet happyness.

I Love you Dune till the end of time.
Only You can defense me from the pain of reality.

TheVirginSuicides
TheVirginSuicides

Can anyone recommend me a perfume like Dune without the strong aldehydes that overwhelm me in the beginning? I just totally love the balmy and soft sweet amber that lasts very long.

annanews
annanews

Its pure perfection. Magic, intense and unique. Easy breeze in the desert.
Grew up by the sea I played under the sun Come to me come into my dreams This is my light of life.

ClaireRr
ClaireRr

Kate Middleton has it :)

EliotOneLOneT
EliotOneLOneT

It smells like sand.

deluxmouse
deluxmouse

I am new to this perfume, I fell in love with it straight away.

love..love..love

susie2013
susie2013

hot , dusty and very salty air.
ok, its a very lonely scent, its not easy to wear. and that is the very reason i love to wear it, but not all the time. i want to be sitting on a beach , just with that someone special , on a hot hazy summer evening , just as dusk rolls in across the massive expance of water streached out in front.
this is not my party perfume .
one other thing, so many reviews are saying this has been reformulated.. i am not sure, but to me is smells no different .
its just such a shame that it is only availible in edt. woild love to use the shower product again .

tandi
tandi

Dune has a weird opening to my nose. Green patchouli and something else I can't quite define. I smell sweet dark chocolate in the heart and maybe some woody vanilla.
Dune dries down very elegantly to a rich creamy skin scent. Excellent longevity.

StellaXYH
StellaXYH

I tested Dune today without much expectation. The woody opening smells just like how I remembered it while someone in my family wore it during my teenage years. Then, what a surprise when I sniffed my wrist a while later! The amber blended with benzoin, lily, jasmin and other flowers is such a pleasant scent, so smooth and comforting. I detect somehow a slight salty/sour/bitter/whatever note providing a tiny dry twist. The sandalwood lingers somewhere in drydown and slightly spices up, providing a deeper dimension. I don't get the beach/desert image as previous reviewers. But it definitely gives me a earthy feeling, like I was embraced by the mother earth. And the sillage and the longevity is pretty impressive for an EDT.

The only thing that I'm not so happy with is that I don't get the ethestics of the bottle. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend this sensual fragrance.

elisa.fuentes briones
elisa.fuentes briones

unique . cannot find something similar.love it . great sillage. so sexyyyyyyyyy . a classy masterpiece

Fragaria

whoaaa...that's a durn good review to me! ( see the one below )

degauss
degauss

When I become a even more solitary adult than I am now or could have ever predicted, I will purchase Dune. It's not to my taste, it's nothing like I want to smell, but I'm going to spray it on myself every evening after getting back from work and sit in the armchair and think resolutely of nothing but the comfort of the scent. Not relationships with no real psychological intimacy, not conversations that lead to nothing more than an exchange of opinions and no synergy, and not your friends' failed marriages. But warm things, like cloves, in the sun and golden jewelry and every lovable mother anyone has ever had. Immaterial, warm gold. A sunset with barely any breeze. No worries. A cup of chai tea how you like it. The day recedes but the temperature doesn't drop.

lilou
lilou

I was just curious about a potential 90s fragrances comeback. Actually, I tested Manifesto Yves Saint Laurent and this one reminds me of Dune. It's not exactly the same fragrance but the "feeling" is the same. Mix between fresh and warm notes, surprising but harmonious, very mature.
My mother wore Dune during a long time and I loved it : it represents comfort, sensitivity, freedom to me.

Sharp aldehyde beginning. Dries down with lots of wood and lily, a balmy quality from the benzoin. There's a slight smell of salty skin. I do get the vanilla. It's very subtle in comparison to newer fragrances. More vanilla bean than vanilla extract.
Dune does have a sort of arid, desolate feel so the name is appropriate.

Chrisocd
Chrisocd

I found and old bottle of this in my house, and it smells terrible, like rotting flowers on me. It smelt pleasant from the dispenser but as after i sprayed it on my skin, all hell broke loose. I hope it shapes up in a few hours.
so far... 2/5 YUCK!

diva90403
diva90403

I tried this one today. First on paper and it was pretty nice, interesting, balmy but fresh at the same time. So I thought I should try it on my ski. Bad idea! Omg it gives me a headache. It smells like rotten flowers on my skin. I really wanted it to work on my skin as it was great on paper but unfortunately it didn't. Don't blind but it. It might turn into a headache giving flower bomb.

xabaras
xabaras

Dune is a mild woody fragrance from the very beginning. It makes me feel fresh, and makes me think of water and wind. I think it would be perfect for any kind of weather or climate. I get a slight sinthetic note, which is given, I guess, by the aldehydes. But all in all it is a pleasant fragrance which I am happy to have in my collection. It is very undefined, and on my skin what you get at the first spritz is what you get until the drydown. If you are not totally in love with it you might get bored. One of the most delicate Dior fragrances.

Monica lee
Monica lee

This is my favorite winter time perfume. It is great for women with a spark of personality and gets noticed.

ninius

I have to disagree with whiteshoulders; the new version doesn't smell the same. The new one is MUCH lighter and smells a bit like cigars, the original version is more like warm woods and much more sensual than the new scent and far from cigar smell. I had to spray the new version like 5 sprays and still couldn't smell it like the older with 2 sprays.

This is just my 'warning' to all who wants Dune. Go for the older versions, if you want quality.

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

Ooh baby. I have always loved this scent. My original bottle is from way back in the 90's, but my new bottle smells the same. Dune is salty, sandy and warm. It smells to me of one of three scenarios; a desert, a sandy beach, or a beach that is rocky and tucked away from the crowd. There is a sense of aloneness with Dune, of longing with reluctant acceptance. For that reason, to me, it is a bit melancholy. It is not to me the scent of luxury and excess, but rather being ok with what you have. One pair of khakis when you want twenty, or saddle oxfords when everyone else has Easter shoes. It's kind of all alone. But kind of just fine with it. I smell trepidation but calm. Absolutely fascinating scent; I love it.

SophieJ
SophieJ

I LOVE this one, it just doesn't fit my personality so I had to give it away to a better owner. It's gorgeous; warm yet cool at the same time, inviting but aloof. Strong and potent yet very airy and light when worn. It's a contradiction. When you read the notes, it may seem simple and indistinct from other fragrances with similar notes, but it is not. Tt's very special and unique. The best way I could describe it is a bright, sunny day but the temperature is actually cool and there is a light breeze, blowing tumbleweeds across the ground. Try it at Ulta or a department store if you get the chance, it's not a popular perfume with a lot of advertisements, many places don't carry it, but most of the Ulta stores I've been to have it and any Dior counter should have it.

lukkyme

aside from Dune smell's like the sand dune's on the Oregon Coast on a summer day with the mountain's mixed with the pale golden sand & the sun & ocean & the breeze blowing the smell of ALL THE TREE"S & fresh cut lumber & Oregon wildflowers & blackberries its like standing with your eyes closed & the sun on your face & the wind blowing your hair around& your feet in the sand dune's <3

lukkyme

I love this one<3 its in a group/type /category of my FAVORITE TYPE of perfume & others in this similar group would be-- Dior's DolceVita--esteelauder's Tuscany per donna--- Guarlain's Samsara--- ralph lauren's Safari--- Yves StLaurant's Cinema---calvin klien's Opium--- chanel No.5 & youth dew ETC . . . . THESE perfume's are the way a WOMAN should smell & every one who love's them Know's why :) there's nothing I can say that has not been said about the greatness of Dune or the others in it's ''FAMILY'' if you will !

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

Very mossy and woody in the opening, a little bit overwhelming but not overtly unpleasant. They dry-down is lovely, though. Sweet-ish amber, a hint of bergamot, a little sandalwood. It smells much warmer and more hopeful in the ending stages than in the opening, as many have noted. The initial stages are kind of open and old smelling, the kind of fragrance one would expect to find alone in the desert or possibly in an abandoned curio shop. The dry-down warms up and smells much fresher and more inviting, definitely wearable. I'm not sure it's me, I'd have to test it a few more times. Definitely not love here, but I do like it.

marwa.qoura
marwa.qoura

I had it twice & used it for years ..True Oriental woodsy , It's no surprise it was created by an Oriental woman , being Middle Eastern myself ; this is the " real " Orient we have here not the one imagined in the West world ..

temporal
temporal

Strangely enough, it was my first ever perfume: warm, sunny and calm. And since then i've been searching for warm, woody and lightly spicy scents. Seems, i'm going to try it again after 18 years:)

Bklynlatinlady
Bklynlatinlady

Sampled this on paper. The dry down in this is amazing but it is so overbearing on opening. I don't know if I can get past the extremely strong aldehydes. Hope I can get past the opening because the dry down is classic and beautiful. Seem to last forever too

Bought a small 1oz bottle online, just in case I wouldn't be crazy about it on me. On my skin it doesn't feel as strong as when I smelled it on paper. Granted, the 1st 5minutes its overpowering, be careful how much you spray but once settled its divine.

Very happy with this purchase.

TeeTeeRarr
TeeTeeRarr

This is a signature scent of my mom so I have fond memories of my childhood associated with this scent. I now have a bottle for nostalgic reasons as I am currently far away from home. It is the most unique scent I have experienced and I am yet to find anything that remotely smells like Dune. I just got off the phone with my mom and slid this into our talk:

Me: Mom, you are still wearing Dune after all these years?

Mom: Oh my! YEEES! I LOOOOVE it! It is the only scent that- When I wear it, it feels like I am with a crowd even though I am alone.

She doesn't necessarily mean she is alone but that the scent is SO vibrant and incredible, she feels like royalty! I have experienced this effect myself even in the literal sense of the word. When I wear it, I feel like I am in amazing company even when I am alone in my apartment... or just feeling emotionally alone.

tterekhova
tterekhova

I had this since 1994 and feel like I always need to have it. My first choice for the first chilly yet sunny fall weeks. Maybe it's orange colour? Maybe it's warmth and distinct scent? Love it.

inesleoa
inesleoa

Its pure perfection. Sexy,intense and unique

freddinos
freddinos

I agree with MsRochambeau, Dune is a very well made fragrance that's just not for me. Just acquired it in the Espir de Parfum strengt as part of a Dior 'Parfums' box set. It's unique, woody, balmy and strong, and one of those perfumes you have to appreciate for what it is. I'm quite curious about its name though, it didn't remind me of sand -be it desert or beach sand- at all, so I don't find it very appropriate for the scent it carries...

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

I have a large, older EDT of Dune and as many times as I've tried it, it just doesn't work for me and it becomes as cloying as Chanel Coco, another one that has never clicked for me. In fact, the fragrantica list of accords for them both are very similar. I'm not saying that either of them is a bad scent, I've just come to accept that sometimes you come accross scents that really don't appeal to your particular sensibilities, no matter how nice and well-made they are.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

Dune is not an aquatic. It is not the dune of a beach, but of the desert.

It is dry, woody, warm, spicy, ambery, and oriental. Prominent mix of rosewood and sandalwood that is long lasting with good projection and silage. Strong aldehydes on opening give it a note of fresh air in open space, a dry desert wind, a hint of a faraway sea, and a twisted, wizened, giant oak covered in lichen and moss. The florals are there, like a box of dried petals in a sandalwood/rosewood box.

Peony on the open, joined by rose, jasmine and ylang ylang in the heart, but these are very much part of a whole. They contribute sweetness, and a soft floral spiciness. The woods and oakmoss combine with amber and vanilla to create a very distinctive dry down. There is simply nothing else like it.

dmaw
dmaw

Scored a bottle of this for $5 at a thrift shop. Was afraid it had gone skunky, but no...still fresh. Was anxious to try it because of all the good reviews. Did not remind me of the sea nor an aquatic. It is soft and spicy. Very elegant. Will treasure it.

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

Based on the notes I was so certain I would love this.
I grew up by the sea.

I will try again a few months down the road in hopes of a different experience. Today I just wanted to scrub it off. Something about the top note made me queasy and borderline aggressive. I nearly bought a bottle unsniffed, thank God I sampled.

blondeambitioned
blondeambitioned

I was born on the North Shore of Long Island, on a town partially bordered by the Long Island Sound. Almost all of the beaches in that area were private, but my mother knew a place where we could enjoy the beach and not get caught. The beach was rocky, with large, smooth stones the size of the palm of your hand, and coarse, grained pebbles. There was no surf and the dark, murky water lapped gently at the sand. It was usually cloudy and breezy and the water was almost always very cold. The beach was desolate and quiet; there were no people, just the lone cries of seagulls that echoed off the weather-beaten cliffs. In the summers beachgoers flocked to the trendier Hamptons or the sunny, sandy South Shore. The North Shore, remote, inaccessible and untamed, was only known to those who had a beachside cottage or the few that would dare to trespass. Dior Dune is not a vibrant seaside vacation, it is the lonely, cold beaches of the North Atlantic, the smell of salty air, dry sand, brambles and driftwood. She is cold, distant, and untamed, she embraces fire, air and earth, yin and yang, and the feminine and the masculine. An utterly fascinating perfume that makes me feel a bit sad and nostalgic.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Wallflowers (kind of ambery sweet), strong oakmoss (summer in the mountains, rocks covered with this pale green ancient plant), lily and a lot of musk. Soft, dry, warm, natural - kind of like summer day in exotic greenhouse. In fact it smells a lot like a florist´s!

goingblonde
goingblonde

Had never worn this before sampling it,
but it gave me a nostalgic feeling.

I invisioned lazy fun filled days at the beach with my 2 best friends in high school :)not a care in the world --ahh

A lovely scent I see why many enjoy it.

Not my normal type scent but once in awhile I think it would be nice for a change,maybe on special occassions ;-)

It did give me a headache though:( so hopefully not next time ! It last very long too !

zsazsa.vr
zsazsa.vr

I do not have a signature scent, yet. I am not ready for a commitment. However, if I did, Dior Dune would be a serious contender.

What appeals to me the most is that it is not a particularly feminine scent in a conventional sense, but it does not make it any less sexy!
It is an odd ball in the world of mainstream perfumery, I think. But it fits me. I am not a girly-girl. I choose a well cut pant suit over raffles any day.

I wear Dune when I want to be different, when I don’t want to blend in, when I want people to notice me and pay attention to what I have to say.
For a night time rendezvous, I would probably choose something more explicit, like Tom Ford Black Orchid, but I reach for Dune at any other time.

I smell jasmine, sandalwood, some smoke but nothing sugary. The dryness, the bitterness, the warmth and the airiness of this fragrance creates a veil of mystery and longing. It invokes emotions… A sign of an exceptional perfume….

Apply with a light hand! It lasts forever and it can be very loud if overdone. Done right it’s a masterpiece...

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

This fragrance for me is the union of all the elements. It is earthy yet aquatic, breezy yet fiery at the same time.

It is like the smell of skin coming out of the water, as the wind blows at the height of summer.

Dune is one of the few fragrances that truly moves me, a true masterpiece by Dior.

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

I loved it! It fits for every occasion!

ninius

Hahah maybe it's the woody notes here at least that make me think of a nice fresh wood-heated sauna every time I smell this. It's not a bad thing (I'm a finn) and the scent is in a way quite relaxing.

amberdawn
amberdawn

I was in love with it in the late 90s. Recognizable,wonderful scent, a rare gem.Love it!

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Dune is a perfume undone rather than raised high by an immense opening.

Its incomparably effervescent commencement of bergamot and mandarin shot through with sparkling aldehydes casts a long shadow over the remainder of the proceedings.

The fragrance that lurks in the darkness is a respectable, well made (though perhaps not as fully rounded as it once was) and conventionally sophisticated scent composed chiefly of amber and wood sweetened by benzoin and some subtle florals for interest.

This would make a great steady date if it hadn't promised to be a beauty queen in the personals.

Can a man wear it? Oh yes.

Would I wear it? Oh no.

Not because it isn't good: it is. But because I wouldn't want to carry around the inevitable disappointment after the wonderful bitter orange soda pop ran dry so quickly every time.

cirmok
cirmok

Our first meeting. It's winter morning. It's on my wrist and I can't stop sniffing it. Right now, it completes the chilling winter world around me: warm and dry African desert wind at dusk. I love it. I wouldn't buy a bottle, but I would happily use a 5 ml sample, it would be enough for "getaway daydreaming".

ice_storm
ice_storm

Seriousness, some mystery and an uncommon nature - this is how Dune translates to me. I used to wear it only in winter when going to the university's library to study, surrounded by old book and wooden furniture. That library and the world of dune made a perfect marriage in my mind, though I'm aware it wouldn't work for most of you. It didn't make me dream of an exotic island escape. On the contarry, it complimented the serious, sober person in me, and helped me focus.

Dune is overwhelmingly woody, but I don't say it in a bad way. However, there is also a hint of moisture, not just dry wood, which I find unique and very interesting. The vanilla is dark and bitter here. My depiction may be weird and unexpected, but this is my experience with Dune and I am very glad I found it! It's highly contrasting with all my other fragrances.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Starts as different types of exotic woods blended together, an elegant and restrained composition, I can’t stop sniffing my wrist. Then lovely peony and delicate jasmine are added to the blend and a touch of lovely non-offensive vanilla. By this point I’m in love with the scent. It’s comforting, yet sexy in a good sense, without being overly vulgar, more Juliette Binoche than Pamela Anderson.
Dune doesn’t become cloying and too sweet, somehow it balances masterfully, making it possible for me to love and wear this scent. Somehow you can smell that these are quality ingredients that were put in the bottle, I haven’t caught a whiff of artificial smelling component. Bravo to Jean-Louis Sieuzac for creating a masterpiece!
I wear Dune with great pleasure in cold, it suits both day city walks and evening outings. One of the best and multi-dimentional scents I have ever tried and worn.

paulie86
paulie86

It was a long time since I bought a new fragrance before christmas or my birthday I wasn't really interested in anything nothing really spoke to me until I started reading about Dune. It really is one of the best forgotten about Dior fragrances with the exception of Tendre Poison. I was always curious about Dune, since I was a kid i'd see it forgotten about in the glass case on the bottom shelf at the drugstore.

I tested it for a few days before I got it. The first time I tested it was an old tester at a perfume shop the opening was a strong perfumey cologne type scent heavy with aldehydes the dry down was heavy spicy vanilla when I tried it it didn't really make me think of the beach or the desert like most reviewers state instead it made me think of staying inside on a cold snowy day in front of the fire. The next day I tried Dune again at century's it smelled pretty much the same except it was lighter and fresher same thing when I tried it again at Macy's my boyfriend ended up getting it for me as my early christmas gift.

That night when I opened it and sprayed it on I loved it. Dune suits who I am and my personality to a T it's androgynous but elegant and sophisticated. Dune starts with a fresh opening but has an herbal and spicy undertone it then transitions to a spicy vanilla drydown with a slight hint of florals. I now know why people think of the beach when they smell Dune, when I smell it up close on my skin it has a salty metallic scent that smells of the sea air. It's not a tacky banana boat beach scent, it smells of nature of the sand and sea when you get salt water in your mouth or when sea weed and shells are drying in the sun at the waters edge. When I smell Dune from it's sillage alone it has a completely different scent it's milky and creamy with soft spices, vanilla, and caramel. Texture wise i'd compare dune to dry oatmeal if that makes any sense lol.

Dune makes me feel peaceful but desperate and longing at the same time maybe that's what people mean when they say Dune feels bleak. I would compare Dune to Jean Paul Gaultier Classique, Givenchy Pi and Gucci pour homme 2 not that it smells like these fragrances but it has the same feel they're soft and warm but powerful at the same time. I'm so happy now that this fragrance is in my collection it's absolutely beautiful. I didn't really wear it that much after I got it and it sat in the back of my drawer and I kind of regretted picking Dune but now I know i'll love it and use it up and eventually repurchase. Definitely get it before it gets too hyped about lol

scarlett71
scarlett71

This is one of my favorites!! I wore this when I was single then after I got married don~t wear it right now but am looking forward to having some again soon:)

Fizzy
Fizzy

Applied yesterday at 5 PM and smelling until 3 PM the next day, there is still no signs, that it would disappear. A heavy, vanilla-incense-citrusy peel smell, the
highest quality of a perfume on earth, this is for sure. For me it is too heavy and too much vanila sweetness, lacking any freshness so beloved in Let it rock or Lolita Fleurs defendue.

lemontreelime12
lemontreelime12

I used to wear this when it first came out, and loved it. But by the third bottle either the fragrance itself was changed or I changed. It just never smelled the same on me after that. And I no longer enjoyed it as much as I did originally.

lspreack
lspreack

My Grandma used to wear this off and on in her rotation. It was never one of my favorites. Remember it giving me a headache when she wore it. Just smelled like strong pine sol to me.

Buckshot
Buckshot

What a bad experience for me. Just tested the Dune on the wrists and it gave me the worst headache I've ever had. Never again!

Glam Sham
Glam Sham

A classic perfume you can wear all seasons, dany and night. Although on the oriental side, it's very fresh. I don't know ( and I don't care) if it's meant for a certain age group, I loved it as a schoolgirl and I love it as a wife; I'm sure I'll love it as a mom and as a grand mom! You can wear it to work, to get-togethers, to a friend's, to the theatre, just about to any place! I LOVE this thing! Certainly the best from Dior!

scorpiodivamarian
scorpiodivamarian

does anyone else agree with me that it smells a lil like some(old spice) cologne that our your dad once had?

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

I read somewhere that Kate Middleton wears Dune, which I found really surprising. She strikes me as such a ladylike person, but who knows? Maybe she's really kind of a badass. Dune is not an anodyne scent: think Frank Herbert, not Myrtle Beach. It would be just as appropriate for a man as a woman, and when I first smelled it, I thought of my dad's cologne. It's an original, though: dry, salty, spicy, and somehow epic. Not exactly my style, but it's a good thing to wear if you need to feel powerful (and not in a princess way, but more of a battling-enemies-on-another-planet way.)

celebrity89
celebrity89

To me this is a grassy, powdery masterpiece. Reminds me of the older Estee Lauders like Aliage.

Daisydukes
Daisydukes

This does have a very beachy smell, but beaches all smell different. This is not a tropical beach or one filled with sunbathers. Dune is a mid Atlantic beach filled with driftwood. Natural driftwood, not piers coated in creosote. I find this scent to be soothing warm and soft.

panda0410
panda0410

How I love this perfume, an aged, yet timeless classic, and still one of the most complex and misunderstood perfumes on mainstream shelves. The benzoin-aldehyde composition complexes the fragrance into something difficult to describe, but ultimately superb. I love the rich wood and spices and very much love the salty, earthy and very dry feeling this fragrance offers. For much this perfume isn't just about olfactory sensation, but moreover about the ethereal tactile quality it offers as well. I almost always wear this on hot dry summer days, its just so fitting. One of my forever loves, Dune will always have a place in my fragrance collection.

TillyWave
TillyWave

The first few times I wore Dune, I didn't find it to be strange at all. It was a woody oriental, with some traditionally "masculine" facets, with an ambery drydown and a hint of sand and salt rubbed into everything.

But later wearing I did find myself becoming moody, I felt as if I were one of the last people on earth, and if I went to my downtown it would be deserted. I began ruminating about empty expanses of land, with scarce vegetation, a harsh sun, and no running water. I could smell hot wind, with a liquid wood scent being unleashed on me, or sometimes I could smell the earth, fragmented and cracked, mineral stones baking in the sunlight (who knows, maybe the advertising was getting to me.)

Practical facts: Good sillage (too much if you spray more than 2 or 3 times) wears forever, more than 10 hours, and to my nose the floral aspects seem to be of the white flower variety.

MirageMirage
MirageMirage

I don't know why, but I smell some sort of chypre in Dune!And due to that reason, even though I love oriental florals, I have a hard time "accepting" Dune, even though I'm trying so hard to love it.It's similar to Sublime by Jean Patou I'd say.

Snuffeltje
Snuffeltje

I like this, but I'm not old enough for it. (20)
My mother wears it for special things, and I always find her so classy when she does!!

jenise
jenise

Dune. How I love you. I have waited long for you and now I own you. I have wanted you from the first moment I met you. You are dry and spicy and full of wood song. You sit upon my skin like a fine cashmere sweater. I barely know your there, but I can feel your warmth. Thank you Dior, again.

dioradddict
dioradddict

I really loved this one in my teen ages, (besides samsara, 273rodeo beverlly hills FH, paloma picasso, minotaure, tresor,fahrenheit, loulou... I was a hungry nose lol) but since a national brand in Brazil (oBoticário) launched a copy called Crazy (or smth like this) you could smell a weird Dune scent everywhere (weird because of course it wasn´t the same fragrance, but it was very very similar ... ) it was a pitty, really... but I still remember the salty feeling of this one, the depth... its name suits perfectly the scent!

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

Dior's Dune is rather an addictive fragrance .
First stage right after spraying is similar to
Very Irresistible Givenchy L' Intense, when Citrus, Rose and Patchouli in Dune are still strong and sharp enough to work in a simple, very well pronounced chypre mode.
Also opening and middle stage of Dune's drydown reminds me the ones of Dolce&Gabbana D&G’s .
These two are space opening fragrances, each in it’s own way, probably due to aldehydes and clouds of musk that act throughout whole development. In that respect they are similar to…, well, just think what other things in life give you space opening sensation.
D&G's development is more vivid and cleaner and wider, juicer and laker, while Dune is more arid due to oakmoss, rosewood and powder. For me both Dune and D&G are a bit masculine, D&G is more so.

Not long after spraying Dune(first 2 hrs) I even had a sensation that the sand got in my eyes through smelling the test card. I tried it again and again, it was not an accident, that sensation never failed to repeat until the next stage of dry down came for a change.
Hope it is not just an automatic effect of adding another ingredient or a simple result of boosting a given ingredient to a certain concentration. And if it's not just a serendipitous discovery, but intended effect, then we deal here with a great imagination at work that sticks to an original plan and does not compromise.
D&G's drydown drives me crazy, the musks go wild here.
With Dune's drydown one who waits is rewarded with the reduced sharpness, hence reduced to a minimum masculinity, musks are hidden among other components successfully.
And how does one make dust and sand smell beautiful? It's perfectly achieved here. After most of the earthiness - patchouli, oakmoss is settled down, we have ever so subtle incensed, patchouli, woody, slightly dusty musky ambery, rosy, powdery finish that I can smell through the rarified layer of oak moss. And it lasts and lasts and lasts, typical for Dior. Now I understand why Dune had such a faithful following throughout the decades.
I have just discovered another beautiful Dior for myself. I missed it in 90s, not much longer this will wait to appear on my dresser.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I never tried Dune in the 90's. In fact I don't think I ever knew it existed nor did I know anyone who wore it. Then I read Luca Turin's book and thought, wow, that sounds interesting- worth a try. So today I put on my new Dune for the first time and I must say I really like it. I'm not to the love point yet, but I'm getting there. It opened with a lovely full bodied oriental and then moved to super dry cold middle notes- smelled like dry sand blowing across the desert with spice scents in the distance. I imagined a girl peeking out of a Bedouin tent to sniff the morning air and smelling and seeing a camel train in the distance carrying spices to market. I thought this rather bleak scent was the drydown but I was wrong. Then the scent warmed up and now it is warm sun on sand at midday with patchouli and rosewood along with some spice. My girl must have gone to the market to buy some patchouli and spices. I find this final drydown a warm comforting scent that is just right with a little bit of sillage left. Perfect for a fall day.

Justinjade
Justinjade

I LOOOVE this fragrance. If I didn't love Dune, I wouldn't have four empty bottles sitting on my drawer now! LOL! I feel so confident when I wear this one and it always reminded me of my youth when I was just starting to gain my self-confidence back then. To me it speaks of importance, power, luxury and all that... Some people were perplexed about the overwhelming confusing scent but they knew I was in the room long after I'm gone... It's a good thing if you were a young professional artist like me. Now, I just wear this to remind me of how far I have come :)

milkyway
milkyway

I agree with Antosmellgood's previous review. For some reason this is also a patchouli-mostly perfume to my nose, especially in the dry down when it's just patchouli and a little sandalwood..
I really like how Dune is very dry. Must be one of the driest fumes for ladies I've ever come across..One of the examples of a perfect match of ad, name and juice.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

I wear this Dune ten years ago. Now I try this but is so vintage for me. I like feel it on other woman :)

scain54
scain54

This isn't sand dunes to me at the beach, but rather the dry, cracked dunes of the desert outside of Las Vegas, at night. The winter desert, deserted at 2 AM, smells just like this.

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

To KS Belle: This used to come as EDP too. Pure perfume, I don't know. I love Dune too. I used up an EDT bottle and then bought another one(very rare for me). First time I bought it was several years ago and at that time the EDP existed, but I thought it to be too strong, so the EDT was a better choice. Now it's gone around 10 years and my taste have changed and I've become braver in terms of wearing stronger perfumes. So I wanted the EDP. Sadly they told me Dior has discontinued the EDP. I wanted it so badly.

KSBelle

In addition to my previous review, I would love to find an edp of this. Did they ever make one- and if so does it exist anywhere? This would be a scent to behold in an edp or pure parfum. I've looked, and never been able to find it. Sigh------*

KSBelle

I thought maybe I was crazy, but this reminded me of Cashmere Mist by Donna Karen (edp), and Tresor by Lancôme. Then I did a little research and found that they were released relatively close to one another, and share some of the same notes. (Specifically, Dune and Cashmere Mist share notes of jasmine, lily, vanilla, amber, bergamot, musk, and sandalwood). Though CM (edp) has more of a bite to it initially. Dune has a husky dark sweetness to it. A deep warmth like a forest green turtleneck, as opposed to its white cashmere turtleneck friend CM.

Not to confuse matters even more, but this is a confusing fragrance to me. On one hand it's dark and musky. Like warm wood and pine trees. On the other hand, it's sweet and sensual. If I had to rename it I would call it "Sex On The Beach In Forest Green". I get the sand idea, the sexy warmth and bare skin- but I also catch a whiff of green that cools the warmth of this fragrance (possibly the bergamot mixed with lily and jasmine? I'm certainly not the expert here). Cashmere Mist could be the day part to the evenings Dune. I find CM to dry down to a lighter cleaner (yet more synthetic) fragrance, where as Dune smells smoother with more amber on me. Amber usually steals the show on my skin, therefore I have to tred lightly with Dune, or it becomes an overkill. Same goes for Tresor, it's other friend from the past- a little goes a long way. (As for Tresor, I find it falls more closely to Cashmere Mist than Dune, but again has similarities to both).

I'm on my 3rd bottle of Dune, though I don't wear it very often. The two previous bottles were "borrowed" from me, so determined to experience this fragrance on my skin I went out and bought the third. $290 later (determined little ol' me) I've come to this conclusion, Dune is not my favorite perfume, but I do find it to be a nice perfume. I also had to replace it 3 times to have it in my collection, so I better wear it! (It says something about this perfume, or my family, that it was borrowed twice by different people and never returned!).

It's also amazingly powerful for an edt. One day this may be in the history books of perfume, and not on the shelves. So, for an avid collector I would suggest you grab a bottle while they are still making it. I give it a 7/10. Possibly an 8/10 just because it's a classic, and I get numerous compliments when I wear it. It smells good, I'm just cautious of over spraying so I don't end up drowned in amber.

kellybanana
kellybanana

this used to be my mom's signature scent for years when i was in college. i bought it for her as a gift from paris. anyways, it's about time now to buy her another bottle, perhaps a 100ml this time, for christmas? well frankly i'm seriously considering... :D

Cocinelle
Cocinelle

This is one of the perfumes my grandmother wore. I love it because it brings me so many memories but also because it's a really well done fragrance. It's classy, not upstaging yet with is own personality.

youriko

I love your review (Anja_Karenina) and Dune is one of my precious perfume but one thing did not site well whit me.... I'm a bit sick of people saying... to old ore to young for this fragrance ore the famous term OLD LADY lol ho please. To me perfume is ageless but is all about attitude if you have the right attitude for the perfume it will suite you like a glove. And we all know that perfume is all ATTITUDE , FEELING and EMOTION..so if you love it wear it and wear it proudly.

Anja_Karenina
Anja_Karenina

This was my mother's signature scent for years yet to be honest I was never fond of the scent when she was wearing it. I thought it was too heavy and masculine for my taste. I thought it smelled like old man's cologne! However, now that I started TO REALLY discover the wonderful world of perfumes, I saw myself reaching out for her bottle to test it on myself just to see whether the "magic" which everyone talks about here so often describe, would indeed perform on my skin. The first time I tried it, I wasn't too impressed and I thought that it just stunk on me compared to what I was purchasing/what I owned at the time. I guess it just was just my amateur nose being silly. :P

That being said, the more I was testing various fragrances, I still for some reason didn't give up on this one, and so I decided to try it again knowing that for some scents your taste must be acquired over time, and I definitely think that this is was DUNE is about. If you are strictly into celebrity, sugary sweet, and light perfumes, then this is definitely not for you.

And seriously, out of all the perfumes that I own, when I spray DUNE on, I get a totally different experience because of ITS uniqueness. There seriously truly isn't anything like this on the mainstream market(at least what I my nose has been sniffed out so far XD).

This scent is OVERWHELMINGLY powerful for an Eau de Toilette when you first spray it on; it's just unbelievable.(I think I have the pre-reformulated version as the juice is darker then what I see on store shelves). When I say that this scent is overwhelming I don't mean this is a negative way though. The scent is dark and I can't exactly make anything of it when I smell it. That's what's so wonderful about it; you have to wonder and decipher what the notes are and you can't really exactly!

DUNE is an Oriental but it's not a typical Oriental type of scent which I have been exposed to and it's not along the likes of SHALIMAR oh no. It's so mysterious because it's so uncommon. In addition to that, the perfume smells waaaay different on me than on my mother which is a VERY good thing!

Anyway, I like this most when it sets into my skin after an hour. It becomes vanillic but once again, it's still unusual but at this point it's just more alluring and womanly. I kind of wish that that's how I would smell like when I first spray myself in it, but then again I wouldn't be experiencing such a journey. ;)

I had my doubts whether I can seriously pull this one off in public since I have almost reached my mid-twenties, but my mom reassures me that this suits me. In fact the best mom that she is, she has given me her bottle as present and I am proud to own it.

That being said, I don't think that it's something that I would wear on a first date for fear of intimidating the man, because I do find that this perfume resonates with assertivenes and slight snobbishness because of its potency. It's not a bad thing, but because this scent is definitely mature; it does gives off an intriguing "keep your distance" vibe so it can be somewhat off-putting. However, when you wear this, wear it with utmost CONFIDENCE or else DUNE will wear you!

Basically, if this doesn't work for the first time, don't give up! Try it out at least three more times on different occasions in a span of some time before you make your final judgement. Trust me. But all this fails, well ... there is always something else. ;)

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

there's not much point in dissecting Dune: it's wonderful because it smells like itself. Startling , odd, trippy, inscrutable...wonderful. The only chemical comment I have is that it must be the greatest root beer fragrance of all time. Truly bizarre and really great.

mystica
mystica

1990s in a bottle... evokes powerful memories. I am just not sure if it's suitable for me for today or if it has ever been so!

Fragaria

I'm gonna be real good and ask Santa for this! This is amazing good, I can't believe it could be this good. I hope it doesn't change or get discontinued before I have a chance to get it! ohhhhh I want snow and Christmas!

joliecat
joliecat

I wanted to try Dune after reading these reviews. I went to Ulta, tested it and immediately didn't like it. The next day, I received Dune as a gift ! I tried it, and I LOVE it ! I think the reason I didn't like it in the store was because of all the other perfumes in the air there. This Dune EDT is the new reformulated version. I noticed the ugly synthetic smell immediately with the first spray. Apparently that ingredient is in ALL the newer perfumes, so it was overwhelming in the store. But away from the store, this Dune is wonderful ! Spicy, strong and soft at the same time. I was devastated when my favorite of all time, Opium, was changed. I felt as if someone I loved had died. The new version of Opium is nice, but not spicy enough, and is too flowery for me. I am thrilled to have a new love with Dune ! I'm so glad I was able to try it away from the store counters ! Otherwise, I might not have ever used it. Thank you all for your great reviews !

ginawadsworth

woke up this morning feeling over tired and cranky. Reached out for Dune to revive me. Smelt a delicious creaminess which I have never noticed before. just shows how your mood can affect your sense of smell. Absolutely divine, like smooth toffee. Just wonderful.

Very amber fragrance.

The most noticeable notes are the mandarin note, the amber note and the peony note and the woody notes.

Not bad, but I can't say that I like it.

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

I'm absolutely smitten over Dune. While at times I can't help but feel it a bit dated. But mostly I feel it's also very modern. The spices in dune are abundant, and familiar. To me these are the same spices of Dior's Dolce Vita, or Feminite Du Bois, and Y'ves 'Orchidee'. But unlike Dolce Vita, the florals are played down, and unlike Orchidee it has a very strong and dry amber presence. It's enchanting, intoxicating, un forgetable, very recognisable and regardless of the already stated similarities I still find Dune very original, and very relivant to modern perfumery.

Even the reformulated version is to die for. Still strong, still long lasting, still quite spicey and full of sensuous dry amber. So gorgeous without being sweet. Dune is the perfect name, it's a dry but spicey oasis. Everyone around me absolutely loves when I'm wearing Dune, I get countless compliments. My best friends wants to take my bottle. I guard it with my life , lol. I recently found vintage lotions which only make this even more irrisistably gorgeous and last even longer. The sillage is perfect, you only need a little The dry down is not a common one.

Grab this beauty while you still can.

Very spicey , to anyone who doesn't smell the spice, I might suggest you get your sniffer checked :P
9.5/10

Sexy, Elegant, Strong yet understated. Unique, Definant signature scent material!

Spicey, Ozonic (not light and watery), Orgasmic, Bronzed Heaven

Abstraction
Abstraction

My mother's perfume. I think it's definitely for older women, especially the business, self-conscious, powerful people and darker (dark hair). There sharpness, but the refined, elegant and spirited. One must wait after spraying. This perfume and Chanel 5 = perfection for ladies. The bottle looks beautiful, check it carefully - a phenomenal design - such as Aladdin's lamp or fire. One of the best women's perfume, really.

kuanyin4
kuanyin4

I remember when all the beachy/tropical/aquatic scents starting coming out and I would walk past them in the dept store, try a spray and not like it all. I don't like aquatic, and if I want to smell like suntan oil, I'll get some of that a lot cheaper. I guess I learned to walk past those in that category and Dune got bypassed too. Until Fragrantica. I've been getting so much perfume lately it is hard to try it all. I finally got to my Dune today. Mmmm...mmmm...mmmm... It is very warm, but I don't get the salty sea. I got warm sparkly sun and sand. It enveloped me in a wonderful sillage for almost 4 hours and then sporadically after that. And it took me on a journey as well. At first golden sunny warmth: amber, benzoin, perhaps broom (whatever it smells like) and palisander. After an hour or two I got several of those tobacco leaf whiffs that someone mentioned and that was wonderful. Later on I got floral for an hour or so...and finally, men's cologne! I can see where this could be oh so unisex and that is all good with me. I think men's cologne smells better than women's frequently. Very long lasting for a Dior and an edt at that. If the vintage was even better, OMG!

Carnation
Carnation

I finally got around to trying Dune, something I have been wanting to do for years, but it seemed to keep slipping my mind.
Let me say as I have posted in the past: I am no fan of the aquatic genre in frags. No D&G Light Blue. No Acqua di Gio. No Cool Water. I wouldn't classify Dune as an aquatic, more like belonging to what Turin and Sanchez listed in their book as "ozonic", having an air-like quality to it. This by no means is a light-as-air fragrance. It is a spicy,slightly fougere,beachy oriental whose sillage lasts for hours and knows no gender.

fishmerised
fishmerised

Dune is my all time favourite fragrance, my signature scent. I remember my girlfriend wore it and it became a "must have" for me years ago. I never grow tired of it and can wear wear it year round, day and night.

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

Dune is just one of those perfumes that whispers to you, elegant, sensual and calming too. Wore it for many years in the 90s. Might go back for another bottle. I am now remembering why I loved it so much then. Go try it, you won't be sorry!

graça.silva
graça.silva

Está na minha lista dos meus prediletos. Gosto de usa-lo em qualquer ocasião, é marcante, você não passa despercebido com Dune!

whitney.mccrummorrison
whitney.mccrummorrison

I wore this for a few years in the 90s. It smelled like powdered donuts on me! I did really love it though. Swapped it for Tuscany Per Donna.

ginawadsworth

update: i have just re-read the description by Luca Turin in which he describes this in a discompasionate manner referring to it as bleak and unsmiling but ends with it being marvellous. In some way I have to disagree, not with his final comment, but the word unsmiling. It makes Dune sound cold. Far from it, I say. To me it embraces it name. Cold and possibly un yeilding as sand in the morning, but warm and inviting as the sun heats it up to a brilliance of heat at noon and thereafter as the sand absorbs the sun's rays.

putri
putri

my mom had it.though she didn't like it but i remember in my memory that dune is a soft,long lasting warm fragrance when applied sparingly

Linden
Linden

I must say there is a special unique quality to Dior's Dune. The scent is classic and elegant; a fresh oriental that remains light and airy even though it is very warm. Harmoniously blended; the composition has an interesting arid feeling, I believe is highly based on the visual concept behind it: a beautiful calm desert oasis-the execution is amazing.
I love my Dune Homme partly because it also smells very unique to me. The two scents contrast and compliment one another beautifully.

kkw80
kkw80

I was intrigued about this. It turns out on me it smells of extremely dry very fine very dark chocolate powder. Strange. I will try it again, as I want to like it.

HilaryAppleFace
HilaryAppleFace

I went to my local Ulta to test Dior's Poison a few days ago. I tried it, but a few moments later I tried Dune. I was sniffing my wrist all day and all night. There is something so appealing and sexy about this fragrance. A beautiful rosewood, slightly salty and sweet.

It lays beautifully on the skin, and even though it's an edt, it last for hours on end. Needless to say, I forgot all about Poison and I'm still longing for Dune. I can't believe this fragrance doesn't get the recognition it deserves!

sabrina6677

i wear this anytime, evrywhere..any moment...loves it!

xenia15
xenia15

One of my favourites perfumes. Special and unique, a little bit masculine but classy, its a scent suited for night time.

Aredore
Aredore

About 3 months ago, I posted a query on the forums; I was looking for a well-behaved "daytime" oriental. Dune was not on the list, but I have to say, this what Dune is, isn't it? A dry Oriental?

Luca Turin described Dune as a "bleak beauty" and "unsmiling" in the Guide. I didn't know what to make of that imagery, evocative but difficult to translate to smell. I remember this scent from childhood summers; a mix of dried salt and beach sand crusting over fragrant, oiled skin. Dune smells like a green floral laid on white chocolate. There is is a beautiful, slightly bananna jasmine in Dune, sandalwood and a sweetness, like a light glaze, drizzed over a brown spice cake. It's a dry scent with a composed sexiness.

TankGirl
TankGirl

Dune is on my opinion one of the best among Dior's. Dune is the perfect fragrance for the oriental fans, it is charming on winter and sexy on summer, its a fragrance full of personality and style. It is definatly a little bit masculine on the top notes but that is not bad at all, it is actually the very alluring and teasing part of Dune. The drydown is amazing, extremely warm sandalwood, reminds you of the warm skin of a woman. I like it very mutch, it has a vintage vibe that it is very interesting but it is still very wearable and modern.
Exotic, chic and alluring.

tigsy
tigsy

OMG what to say about this perfume! I absolutely love and adore it!!! distinctive, sexy and classic.

artsyrn
artsyrn

This is a strong but alluring, heavy on the sandalwood,earthy,floral aldehyde. There is mystery in this fragrance. I picture a free spirited, savvy world traveler.

Jilly B
Jilly B

I am thrilled...I am now the proud owner of a 1995 full bottle, boxed, Dune EDT. And it is so lovely!

The opening did feel almost masculine, but in a great way, and the fragrance does have a 'dry' feel to it, like a really hot day.

It's been 2 hours since I first sprayed and the amber is beginning to shine through.

I'm off to put some more on, just to experience the rosewood again......

ozz1980
ozz1980

This one's caught me hard last night. The woman set at the bar beside me and her smell.. long story short, this morning when we woke up in the same bed, i asked her "what's your scent?" and she said just one word: "dune".

pollyjean23
pollyjean23

My First Signature

I remember collecting fragrance strips from magazines and just sitting and smelling Dune over and over when it first came out. Finally, I either purchased it or received it as a gift. It became one of my favorite perfumes. It carried me through the 1990s.

I don't have the same urgent love for Dune anymore, but I still appreciate it. It, especially for the time, was unique. I loved the initial hit of citrus and wood and reveled in its balminess that followed.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

This is childhood. Pure childhood for me. My mother's best friend (ex best friend unfortunately) wore this as if her life depended on it. Her whole house smelled like Dune.

I feel like a child sniffing this. I remember her house, I remember how much I liked that women. She always pampered me. They didn't have children of their own, but they had a whole room full of toys and a large bed for children they knew to sleep in. I could take a bath in the huge tub if I wanted, for as long as I wanted. As I got older(young teenager), there were other things to enjoy, like the solarium they had, ...

I'm not sure whether I would wear this myself. I've been sniffing the paperstrip the whole day and I'm still doubting to buy it. It's wonderful.

It does have a note that smells a bit stuffy....

Lolalemon
Lolalemon

I bought this for myself when I was 24 and living in a foreign Tropical country.  It made me feel polished and put together as i melted in the heat.   Easy to wear- nothing at all like the huge perfumes  (Poison,  obsession, eternity) i burned out on in highschool and college.  I was done with big hair and make-up (hello j crew).    Dune made me feel content.

(it used to remind me of a scent called "skin musk" by bonnie bell- which was a drug store type frag i wore as a young teen). It's ambery musky.

I then moved on to  more natural frags, and aquatics, florals etc.  but, turning 40, i decided to reaquire most of my old fumes (and new).

...This is the only one I love from the old frags

For instance, given a bottle of  Poison --i found it unweildy to wear.  I feel, literally, self concious-a mess of  obnoxious plummy kitsch for hours,  ...till it mellows into anything reasonably manageable.  Then it's fine, (yes, so unique ).

And then there is RL Safari- another gift--which to me, these days, smells like an old musty vanity drawer full of darjeeling tea bags and ancient dried up perfume. i wonder if it was always this awful?

Samsara, Coco.  all just fine. Ok- but I definitely prefer more modern scents now.

But then there is Dune- it's almost better than i remembered-- still sultry and smooth and different- not tired at all.  I havent found anything like it yet. N It's puts me in a great space.

Belladonna_dea
Belladonna_dea

This is what I wish Chanel No. 5 was closer too. When people describe No. 5 this is what I invision. I love this. It's almost masculine. Definitely needs to be worn by a women with a strong personality who can pull it off. Very chic.

Nadia Beatriz
Nadia Beatriz

This fragrance is strong,I would never wear this on myself at my age.. but it´s a nice scent indeed..

MMC
MMC

Perfume agradavel,porem bastante forte e de muita personalidade.Acho que não agrada a todos,mas eu gostei.

ginawadsworth

I have not had such a physical experience from perfume since smelling Aromatics Elixir many years and perfumes ago. After a particularly harrowing day, not being able to sleep etc, I sprayed my arms lightly with Dune. I could actually feel me heartbeat slow and my breathing calm. Absolutely amazing. I drifted off to sleep peacefully with a smile on my face.

I cannot describe what joy this perfume brings me. Today started off with grey skies followed by a soft and gentle rain. So sheer it was almost invisible. However if you looked carefully you could see the quick drops of water nourishing the ground. Felt like Dune encapsulated in a moment of time. Barely there, but so slightly visible you had to look twice.

icekat
icekat

(This review is for vintage EDT)

Unique, mysterious and ethereal… Dune has captured my heart with its haunting beauty when it was first released in 1991 and to this day it remains among my favorite fragrances. I love how it makes me feel. This fragrance is sensual and dreamy, like an elusive silk veil floating in the wind or like a lonely song played on the flute in the middle of a desert. It is bold and adventurous like a journey to a distant land. It is like being in another world, a world of dreams, where the reality is blurred with imagination. Dune is a scent I would recognize among thousands of other scents.

I appreciate the complexity, elegance and beauty of its composition. The opening is woody, strong and dry like warm winds blowing over the desert land. The aldehydes are slightly sharp in this scent but somehow the sharpness works great here layered on the smooth woody notes of rosewood. The lily, rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang are blended so perfectly in the heart notes. They create sensual and opulent bouquet wrapped in soft woody and spicy notes. The dry down is light but it has harmony and perfection. The musk adds sensuality. The sandalwood and patchouli are classy and earthy. The amber, benzoin and vanilla have creamy soft feeling but the scent is more dry than sweet. The sillage and longevity are good.

My score is 10/10. I love and appreciate how unique Dune is. It has been my signature fragrance for years. I definitely recommend it if you are looking for something different to try and into woody, floral oriental scents.

temo
temo

Dune... Makes my mouth water for some reason. I can't say I'm crazy about it, but I do like it. It always seems to get compliments and it's one that I go for when I have a migraine. Believe it or not it seems to sooth. I wonder what notes in it would result in being soothing to a migraine.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

I have a little vintage, I believe... so I don't know how the reformulation smells like. Well, it starts strong and spicy, definitely old-school. Soon after it mellows into a very pleasant woody smooth smell, ambery and warm. The flowers are completely indefinite, I cannot pinpoint what they are; the complexity reminds me of Sublime. It's very dry ... almost masculine. The lasting power is impressive. I find it elegant and mature, a little synthetic as I cannot discern the notes. Sandalwood becomes quite dominant after a while; I am not a lover of adelhydes and luckily I don't smell them much. I don't find it too heavy or too strong, but quite difficult to wear as it is so complex. I know this makes no sense at all, but there is something in this perfume that makes me think of horses. Definitely a perfume for a woman not a young girl. The insensy woody ambery feel is somehow lightened up by some sort of salty breeze that others have mentioned, but by no means this is a beachy scent.
I am curious to try the new reformulated version. It might be a little more modern I assume?
Regardless, this is a good woody and ambery powerdery scent.

EDIT: I got a big bottle of Dune now, edt, 100ml in box. Checked the batch number, made in 2002 / 06. Gorgeous, but somehow I never wear it... too dry for my taste, a little in the spirit of S.Lutens. Available for swap, pm me if interested.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Wonderful, if brief, opening of bergamot and spices. Initial dry-down (which lasts several hours) developped as only a tobacco scent on my skin. Eventually, it did turn powdery, but I did not get the interesting development and depth that I had hoped for. Disappointing.

maruge62
maruge62

Powdery, strong, but the kind of strong perfume I can wear without dying from a headache. Very long lasting. Full of personality. To be used in winter weather, preferably.

Strytsman
Strytsman

I'm not outgoing enough to wear this perfume. She's no wallflower. Dune shouts "look at me!" It is such an unmistakable, recognisable scent and applied with a heavy hand, can be quite unpleasant.

andreeas
andreeas

when i first smell this parfume ages ago, seem to me 2 strong, and i ingnore it that moment! but in time it become my best friend and it is always present in my life! i adore Dune 'cause it's so special and timeless, and make me feel special too when i'm wearing it !

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I was a kid when this came out ... I remember it was right after poison... My first thoughts then were that the bottle looked prety but ''dune'' ....''i dont get it''..lol, it reminded me of a movie that was out at the time a few years back that I couldn't stand.. I could be wrong here but I believe it was called ''mad max beyond thunderdome'' with tina turner, lol

This as much as it turned me off intruiged me to give it a sniff, my thoughts then were ''wooooah'' waaay too strong, and just not nice at all, i remember very cloying notes, notes that just were not pleasant to my sniffer what are they trying to recap the fame of poison in a different scent just by making it super strong o.0 ... FAIL ...lol

But it's been so long since I've sniffed Dune, and looking over the notes it may be something that I might like now.

Strange tho because even tho I was very young I instantly loved the powerhouse of Poison..the whole theme just worked, were as 'Dune'...just didn't make any sense to me

Really I think the only people that actually liked this were the poor bastards with bum sniffers :/

Jellybean
Jellybean

there's something likeable about this one, the balmy soft part. on the other hand there are some harsh notes that take the scent into another direction cloying and synthetic to be more specific. with some alterations it might get better.

missymary
missymary

Can't see why anyone would compare this with Poison. It's a distinctive peculiar perfume, ascetically reined in, yet honeyed with fresh flowers and scented wood. It has none of the thundering elephantine volume and sheer nerve of Poison.It's more like the new Elie Saab.

Oddly enough, I think that it's what's NOT overwhelming in this perfume that gives it character. It's the only woody perfume I've ever had that has no spice and I don't get heavy musk. Maybe benzoin. I'm getting some sweet wallflower in the background. And if there's aldehyde it isn't the sort I abhor it in those dreadful post No. 5 perfumes. The restraint is so piquant.

The strange blend of fresh English floral notes with Oriental resinous wood notes has a wonderful lingering intriguing quality. And each time I return to it, it's as mysteriously lovely and evasive as ever.

A perfume to admire and love at the same time.

karaaslang
karaaslang

it is suitable for night rather than a daily wear. it is sexy. people around me ask what I wear when I use this one. Apparently it works well with my chemistry. I like it but don t love it.

yesim
yesim

ı used dune from 92 to tıll these days.parıs and dune these my specıals.when ı wear ıt remands my youth& my lovely dog :chery and my younger sıster lıved together& happy days.long tıme ago:(
ı suggest those who want to be clasııc and cool.

ymanrilla

that one is my ever favorite perfume since 1992.. i love the fragrance, the bottle is so cute....

Bellamare
Bellamare

Dune gives me a feeling of a warm embrace in a cold day somewhere in the middle of October. I'd put it on Ylang-Ylang, which I'm very sensitive to.
Although I can't call this perfume sexy (and I love sexy perfumes), it is still one of my favorites. To be honest, none of Dior perfumes suits me, but Dune is something very special. I'd wear it in one of those days, when you feel some light sadness, when you want to be alone somewhere in a cozy caffee over a cup of cappuccino, looking at the window, listening to the rain.

sarage
sarage

Dune was my signature scent in the early 90's. Warm, sensual scent. Beautiful bottle and name.
I'm curious to try, if I still could wear it, since I don't like oriental scents any more.
I consider this a mature scent.

logicmuppet
logicmuppet

I sprayed myself with this at a store the other night. The first smell was breathtaking, in the same way that dropping a hammer on your foot makes you breathless. My sister broke out laughing and said that my face looked like one of her cats who just smelled something weird and is staring with it's mouth open.

A few hours later, it calmed down and smelled sort of like...luxury marshmallows. It was nice, but the same moment left me with a violent sneezing fit. I finally had to wash it off. I guess Dune and I are just not compatible :(

irma303
irma303

I got this one as a birthday present in my 20's and i didn't like it because i thought it was too "heavy" for me... i gave my bottle away to my aunt. Now, in my 30's i somehow long for having it again... it is warm and sexy scent, mature but not old lady i think.

krmarich

After the commotion and revival of house Dior with Poison. Could the beast be put back in the cage? Absolutely not! Dune is more like a 100 foot Saharan sandstorm dune. This isnt an easy going beachwear. It was as big and bold Poison. This time the amber and sandalwood were turned up. Sandalwood? Samsara...Guerlain was suddenly trendy.

There was no fruit. The lily and wallflower, that I loved took center stage. Dune was still powerhouse even thought the trend was less noise. The drydown is easygoing, if not predictable. Was it a hit? Yes. However, after Poison there would be no antidote. Dior forged ahead with great strength.

jtd
jtd

According to evolutionary biology there are various forces that bring about genetic transformation. And while evolution in review might appear to flow, when the driving force is mutation, change is abrupt. Take Angel (1992), which blew minds when it appeared on the scene, having sprung fully formed from the head of Thierry Mugler.

I’m not saying Angel isn’t a mutant. But she does appear to have a predecessor if not ancestor: Dior’s Dune (1991). Ignore the beachlike coziness Dior’s marketing has tried to sell us. Dune is spooky. It has an edible/inedible complex at its heart that is conceptually similar to Angel, just less apparent. Where the Angel dilemma is immediate, desirable vs poisonous, Dune’s is more something to be considered at your leisure, fresh vs freeze-dried. Also, while these push/pull tendencies in Angel are played at volume 11, they’re more like elevator music in Dune. They occupy that nearly subliminal realm where you are aware and yet succumb without intending to. Not to say that Dune is quiet. There’s something actually quite loud about it even in drydown. But the juxtaposition in the accords themselves is almost imperceptible next to Angel’s loud-mouthed testifying.

Angel is Freddy Kruger coming at you, claws bared. Dune is more the nightmare where everything appears perfectly normal, yet feels disquietingly wrong. Since Dune relies on construction rather than volume to drive home its point of otherness, I find it the more unsettling perfume. If Angel is deranged, Dune is disconcerting, ultimately a more powerful trait if you ask me.

patriciaenola
patriciaenola

I tried to write something at the top of the page - I have only tried it once - and was captured instantly - I could see myself wearing it and reading the Book of the same name - or watching the DVDs now - this is a lovely scent - such stuff as dreams are made on

ION
ION

"Dune" is the most "disorientated" perfume I know.
Clearly, the Dior house wanted a feminine equivalent of "Fahrenheit" at the market but they were very cautious not to market it as such and I can understand why.
My sister is a great fan of it, I've never really told her how annoyingly sharp I think it is. :(
The greatest disappointment though, comes from the fact that for a fragrance with such a magnificent name one would expect an equally magnificent smell.
Pity.

Cezanne
Cezanne

I bought this at duty free on my way to Africa. I wore it constantly while I was there. Its completely evocoative of the desert and the Atlas mountains. I love wearing it, it reminds me of being very happy.

piapedersen
piapedersen

A winner. A classic. The complexity of this perfume justifies the price. Warm and dry, not fruity at all. It's very sexy and perfect for evenings. Eventhough, when I had it on my shelf I wore it all the time. Hooray for Dior.

silverokus
silverokus

Hot, dry desert, with tangerine-fresh oases ...

Indigomama
Indigomama

This review is for Dune EDT, I love it but do not wear often. it is a sort of perfume that requires attitude. It is not flirty enough to be worn for pleasure and not formal enough to replace Chanel no5 to be worn to functions. I wouldn't call it distinctly 80-ish, it just requires a formal suit and proper make-up. It is sweet and classy and luxurious but those salty or cooler or dryer notes reveal its personality. I reach out for Dune whenever I go to court (as a lawyer), have a management meeting in the office or go to talk to school principal about my kids misbehaving ;) Dune is quire reserved and that's what it is good for.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

My mum was given a bottle of Dune as a present and would wear it usually on special occasions, so I think of her when I smell it. She died a few years ago so it's nice to smell this sometimes and I still have her bottle with a little of the perfume still in it.

Dune is definitely an oriental fragrance but not very floral to me and I smell mainly the lower, heavier notes of sandalwood, patchouli and oakmoss, and I think the lichen. I can't actually smell any flowers in it at all! I also don't think it's even slightly reminiscent of the beach and sea, as some people have commented on in their reviews of it here! It smells very 80s'ish to me and kind of reminds me of Dynasty, Dallas and affluent women in power suits with massive shoulder pads! I'd say it's definitely a fragrance that would be better suited to a mature woman rather than a young one. It's certainly an interesting perfume, although it's not my type of perfume and I don't necessarily think my mum would have chosen it for herself either, although it did smell nice on her! I think it's one of the better perfumes of its type and time and much better, and more bearable to my nose, than other 'mature' perfumes from around the same kind of period, such as Opium.

Dune is very nice, but I have to agree with someone else who said that it doesn't smell anything like a beach. There is nothing beach-like about it. Instead it resembles many perfumes that are often associated with "mature" women, like Chanel No 5 and Boucheron (another 80's fragrance). Dune is less sweet than the other two, and not quite as heavy. I could definitely smell oakmoss, which reminded me of a forest, not a beach. As much as I like it, I would not buy it because I have too many other perfumes that smell similar.

SheShe
SheShe

I like it, but from a distance, because it's rather sad perfume.

I remember when I smelled it in 90's. Actually it was the first high shelf fragrance smelt by me - I was attracted by its name. My first thought was "my God, it's an ashtray smell!" and it seemed a dark one. In my imagination I saw a lonely woman sitting in a dark club at night, smoking a cigarette. Or somebody like Marlena Dietrich.

I took a try of Dune after I had known quite many smells (I know, I know, I'm not a specialist, but when it comes to me, I suppose it's many) and I still claim it's a sad fragrance and a bit ashtray-like, but nowadays I see a mature woman, just about 40, crying somewhere at the sea - here comes the saltiness and sadness of Dune, then the woman, after she'd cried it out, felt a bit of comfort.

The scents develops beautifully during spring. I said I liked it but it's an admiration from a distance because I don't feel comfortable wearing Dune. But I claim it's the best of Dior perfumes I've known and the most impressive one.

sofababe
sofababe

I had a little bottle of this back in the 90s, and I never forgot the scent. I walked past a very elegant lady of around 60 years old a couple of weeks ago and caught a whiff of delicious Dune, and remembered how much I had loved it. I now own another small bottle and I absolutely adore it still. Its a true classic among Dior's many masterpieces.
I haven't tried it out on my friends yet, for some reason I don't think they will appreciate it like I do. I have a night out with them this coming weekend so maybe I'll test it out on them! I have taken to wearing it to bed and feeling very glamorous and luxurious.
Everything about Dune is fabulous, including the bottle. I intend never to be without this precious juice now that I have rediscovered it.

K1
K1

This is distinguished odor from most of Dior perfumes. I remember I've smelt it before but it was harsher, though they reformulate it, I like this one. This is exactly feminine version of the masculine one, grassy, herbal, aromatic, dry and harsh with floral bitter mainstream.
Opening is hard yet not offensive. It's like something chemical that tries to be out of nature but has a bold hint of nature.
Dry down is so deep and velvety with bold woody and vanilla stream theme.

Stella451
Stella451

I love how this smells in the bottle and on others, I can smell it a mile away, it is so unique. But when I bought a bottle for myself years ago, it turned sour on me. I was so disappointed. However, if it's been reformulated like people have been saying, maybe I will sample it again, because if it no longer turns sour, I would LOVE to wear it.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

How I feared to try this fragrance is beyond belief!
After noticing Dune contains aldehydes, which I consider absolutely repulsive, I was ready to bet my life on 'I am going to hate that fragrance'.
I was wrong.
I have got myself a large bottle and decided that what the heck; should I hate it - there will always be numerous Fragrantica members willing to swap their juices for a bottle of Dune :-)
Dune is really unusual fragrance; I found it mesmerizing as some of it is salty, some sour, some bitter; all of these with a hardly detectable but still, present, echo of sweetness.
Dune took me through an incredible journey of autumn heath and meadows, through crystalline mountain springs, through sun burnt dunes and rocks of Atacama desert, through bursting with green freshness rainforests....
Oh my world! Dune could be my signature fragrance and who would have thought that juice containing aldehydes would appeal to me in every aspect and make me ecstatic with every minute spent in its presence...
I was so afraid to try Dune, mainly because of some reviews indicating that Dune is an old lady fragrance.
This is simply not true.
What I agree with, however, is that Dune, although appropriate to be worn in any weather, would make a perfect winter choice.
I absolutely love it and I am really pleased that amongst all the aldehyde fragrances I ever tired and hated, Dune proved to be an exception to the rule :-)
Lasting power and silage is more than acceptable, considering it is only an EDT.
The bottle is pretty.
Overall - 10/10.
Dune is a marvel. Full stop.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

What an amazing scent. I bought this scent today, and the journey I took to acquire it was quite arduous. I'm no snob, and if a scent is interesting and beautifully constructed, I don't care if it comes as a deodorant spray. However, this attitude of mine might has mislead me somewhat this week. I started off with a impulse buy of CK Eternity Moment which turned out pretty but run of the mill boring. It's been a while since I bought perfume, and I wanted this one to be a stunner. (I don't want to be "pretty"--I want to be stunning. I'm a woman, for god's sake!) Then, I made a bigger mistake. I bought Jessica Simpson's Fancy. YES, I DID INDEED. And it was so horrible. I'd rather dab Pert shampoo on my wrist than have Fancy. Fancy that, Jessica Simpson. (I bought it because of the reviews about vanilla and cake smell. My boyfriend loves vanilla...)

Then, I went to CVS of all places, and saw this. I was very intrigued by Luca Turin's review of Dune, and based on the fact that I love most Dior scents, I bought it. My god, my first thought was, this is what you get when you buy from a great perfume house. Beautiful, beautiful. Sparkling fresh beginning but without the fruity stickiness (or stuffiness) of most fruity top notes. Then, it opens up to a soft elegant white flower bouquet. I could find jasmine, a bit more lily, and suddenly, the sweetest beautiful rose. Oh, it's so breathtaking. I like rose but they are usually too strong or overpowering for me. This was just so so ephemeral and I longed to smell more. The predominant aura of this perfume is some kind of airiness and the feeling of standing in a void. All the scents apart from the lilies, smell like they are from a thousand miles away. Probably from a lush oasis garden across a thousand dunes, and the scent only a remnant of the lingering yearning of that vivid beauty, so out of reach.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Dune is really hard to pin down, category-wise. And that's fine---it makes it interesting. It's a gestalt scent: sweet notes, floral notes, "dry" notes, wood notes, amber notes, resin notes, a subtle fruity note, pale musk notes, aldehyde notes, all coming and going and intermixing to create an overall impression of something else entirely. Something very beautiful but not at all predictable. If I press my nose to my skin at the edges of where the scent was applied, I can find what I couldn't get at first sniff---the smell of the seaside, of warm, almost metallic sand and salt air moving over it. In another way, this scent reminds me of uncut Bosc pears on a metal plate in the sun. On me, there is no sense of flowers; I know they are in there, but after a few minutes on the skin I lose them. It's ok, though, as they've simply given their contribution to the evolving whole. I find this scent otherworldly, subtly sensual, intriguing. I like it because it is not simple, and because its intelligence is one that remembers perfume should smell good on the body, not one of odd edges or dissonances. I find that I re-spray it occasionally just to enjoy the evolution of it again. I like its contradictory yet harmonious quality of raw elegance or cerebral sensuality. They should have called it "Goblin-fruit" for its earthy yet fey nature...
Sillage on me is moderate, more noticeable in heat, and duration is a couple hours at most.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

The initial spray of this perfume does not elicit a pleasant feeling. At first spray, this, like Shalimar, was a write off. I just did not understand nor allow myself to appreciate the masterpiece that is made here! Like all my other fragrance experiences (which usually lead to a purchase), I did not get the full affect of this until I was driving home from the shop... without fragrance in hand.

Dune starts off salty and dry. I have never smelt this before in another fragrance. It is a weird woody-syrupy smell that ironically is not even sweet. A floral heart then emerges. A beautiful, unexpected floral heart makes it way into your nose. It is reminiscent of a flower growing in-between wooden planks on your porch. The combination is breath taking.

This is a lovely fragrance. I recommend it, like my other classics, to women who can pull of such a smell with confidence! I can understand why many people would shy away from this scent. Unfortunately, I find it to be one of Dior's most overlooked fragrances. It is one of their (IMO) top 3 scents (along with Diorissimo and .. well... you get where I am going).

Well crafted. Well executed. Lasts a very long time for an EDT and the sillage is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to smell an EDT on my skin 5 hours later.

Bien fait, Mr. Sieuzac!

C xx

EDIT: SO, I bought a bottle of this. And I sprayed it 3 times (wrist and each side of my neck) and it was SOUR. It did NOT smell anything like the tester. It smelt terrrrrible! I am going to return it. Just no. I am so turned off!!

Soutty123
Soutty123

I didn't know that this had been reformulated - perhaps this explains why I hated it when it was popular but really like it now. It does smell more subtle than I remember it being back in the old days.

Whit
Whit

I wore the original formulation when I was in my teens. I used to love it! I haven't smelled the reformulation, but judging from what other reviewers have said, I don't think I want to. I remember this being a nice scent, probably too grown up for a teenager at the time, but it was still nice. I really don't know why some manufacturers mess with the original formulation of some perfumes; it can really ruin a good frag. Oh well, I really didn't have a desire to revisit it anyway.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Whenever the topic "What smells like the beach?" comes up on the Forum pages, inevitably this one is mentioned.

I don't know what everybody else's idea of "beach" is, but mine doesn't smell like Youth Dew or Shalimar.

On me? Dune is an über-strong spicy oriental. No word of a lie. I thought, "Okay...wait for the dry-down. Surely the dry-down will tell the tale."

It wasn't to be. It was just a softer version of the initial blast of spicy oriental.

Oh, how I wanted the beach! I wanted sand and salt and ocean! Sigh!

Aquatic Amethyst
Aquatic Amethyst

At last, I found a tester for Dune at CVS! The salesgirl sprayed it on a card for me. Ugh! This is SO 1980s, in a bad way! Not as horribly overpowering as White Diamonds, but definitely heavy on the aldehydes and strange chemical Aqua-net aura!

Definitely one for my grandma during her prime 1980s grandma years when she still had the jacquard blouses, full slips, elegant skirts, 3-hour beauty routine, nude makeup and nail polish with half-press-on nails. She wore Halston for a while. I don't remember its actual scent, but I remember that bottle (which is how I discovered what it was, from pictures on this site).

I never got to smell it on my skin because the spray turned me off. I continue to marvel at the infinite variety of scent perceptions among people--I really wanted to smell sand dunes, beach, grasses, and all those other wonderful things that everyone else said. Too bad that's not what I smelled.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

I have the original and I absolutely love it. It is wonderful.

Smelled the reformulated version at the perfume counter yesterday. It is pretty bad. Nothing in common with the original. Glad I have 4 bottles in temperature control of the real thing.

raquelcosta
raquelcosta

i hate it so much... it's really, really strong.
i had awful headaches every time i wanted to give this perfume a second chance

it's not for me.

musicaficta
musicaficta

Dune... the desert planet. Sand worms and spice mining. Rather than referencing the sea, to me, this fragrance brings forth hazy and distant memories of Frank Herbert's otherworldly science fiction-theo-philosophical trilogy.

This is a dry, spicy, salty, fresh, floral, happy, ponderousl schizophrenic adventure in a bottle. It is what the inhabitants of the desert planet would smell like, and maybe even the planet itself.

ymanrilla

that was my favorite fragrance, i really love it !!

gigiletta
gigiletta

this must be the first premier league with chanel 5,shalimar,maybe-dont like - youth dew.there is something magical thing in dune,but i cant find it,very close to skin and it makes it very feminen and sexy.i cant smell any flower,vanilic something or aldehydes,all of them very good blend in the bottle.reminds me edith piaf voice,maybe you dont like it but you cant never be oblivious to dune.

blackeyedhippy
blackeyedhippy

This is my absolute favorite. The fragrence is unique and almost tells a story of its own.

Zinderella
Zinderella

Love, love, love.. as an Australian I love the beach. Dune is so me. I have never loved or worn a perfume so much. It reminds me of my childhood.. the sun, sand, salty specialness of holidays, the smell of your skin after a day at the beach and the smell of the towel when you wipe the seawater from your face. It isn't coconutty or like suntan lotion, its just pure nature and sea and sand and sun.. some fresh green-ness at the beginning, when you go for your morning walk... then a realaxing hot summer day at the beach that melts into a beautiful glowing sunset, followed by a soft velvet warm sultry night.. yum yum love love love :)
I agree with Mika71 that it has been tweaked a little. In the beginning to me, it was a little greener, fresher... but really, the tweaking is barely noticeable and can be tolerated. It is not upsetting, unlike some ^^

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Quite a masculine opening, spicy, woody, dry. But the dry down is unbelievable. Just the most gorgeous sandalwood, with vanilla and musk hints, soft, cosy, warm. Great fragrance, does feel like it's an older one though, more complex than most modern fragrances.

madalinabonea
madalinabonea

I love oriental fragrances. I had this perfume, but besides the sandal wood and brasilian rose wood, I could feel a small touch of cinnamon, wichever I adore!

w_nmbo
w_nmbo

It's the PERFECT fragrance, whatever the weather is. But for summer - it's even more than perfect.

Grottola
Grottola

Dune is a VERY powdery oriental. I guess it could be unisex, but I wouldn't wear it. I find it too strong and powdery, and I'm not into powdery.

I'm sure the vintage formulations of Dune are better. The Dior house has suffered in recent years from reformulations.

Philo_Sofia
Philo_Sofia

Sooo many notes in this perfume, but I am afraid this is kind of misunderstanding. When I tried this, I has got no "face" for me at all. So, I simply don't understand this perfume.

mishykissy
mishykissy

Spicy, mysterious and warm but not too overpowering I got away with this perfume for the office. This was my signature scent in my late teens, early twenties and always got compliments wearing it. I had a very painful breakup with my highschool sweetheart and had to abandon it as it holds too may memories.

girlsworld
girlsworld

Dune, always the one I choose, faithful and loyal to me, my signature for a long time, I can wear this any time feminine, ambery and radiant, this one just seems to suit me.

madhatter1
madhatter1

This is my all around classic, complimentary scent!
I cannot go wrong with it at the office or after 5.
Gotta get me some more!

This smells like a classic and you can clearly "smell" the age its' coming from. I probably would have worn it in the early 90s, but it's not appealing to me today. It has a slight masculine touch. This is for grown up women and works well as an evening scent.

Jannochka
Jannochka

This was my first designer perfume. I wore it when I was 16 years old. I got so many compliments wearing this fragrance and now I don’t think it’s appropriate for teens. It’s a nice, very sophisticated and sexy perfume but it can also be very overwhelming if you make more than 2-3 sprits. To me it smells like rocks that got warmed under the sun with a salty breeze.

Louw
Louw

One of my friends used to wear this all the time, and she always smelt gorgeous - ambery, musky, a little floral; lovely. Then I tried it on me; pure flyspray! Sometimes body chemistry can be so unkind! :(

honey73
honey73

This is probably the best example for: NEVER judge a perfume by the first sniff!! When I tried it my first impression was, that it is too harsh and strong, and probably a little bit masculine. At home one of the many fragrances I tried that day on my wrists (and arms) called my attention because it was so warm but at the same time fresh somehow and elegant. It was beautiful. It was DUNE! I have to admit that I still don´t like it too much at the beginning, but it is definitely worth waiting, because it is very longlasting and the rest of the day ist smells GREAT!!

smellmenow
smellmenow

It's like summer holiday...cool and hot!!!

spoombung
spoombung

This is a strange, ghostly creation that seems to lend the host a multidimensional quality; there are lots of different voices modulating each other in a carefully balanced structure - and lots of apparently contradictary emotional messages transmitted simultaneously. It's very difficult to think of another perfume that does this quite so successfully - maybe the very different Shalimar, perhaps?

I usuallly find it a bit pointless thinking about gender in relation to perfume but I have to admit I find it deeply feminine (I would not like to smell this on a man - although I do accept that this opinion is almost entirely due to personal associations I have with the scent)

Dune is one of my favourite perfumes ever. It's an undeniable classic and inspires love.

mika71
mika71

I fell in love with Dune when it first came out, I was in college at the time and it became my signature scent - on me it was an amazingly light and unique combination of musk, spice and a hint of vanilla. I tired of it (after a devoted decade or so) and started trying other things.

I find it difficult to be without this scent though. It is a staple in my collection, however, I do think the more recent incarnations are not quite the same as when it first came out. It's still good, but it's definitely been tweaked... not quite as smooth as it used to be, but still good.

LaPetite

I think something amazing happened to me today ... I had always wanted to love Dune, but couldn't for some reason .
And today i gave Dune one more chance , and i think i'm starting to love it :-)))) I'm so happy !!!
I'm sure that sometimes ,it's possible that you don't like one scent just because you're not ready for it .

pureblonde
pureblonde

This is by far my favourite perfume - my signature fragrance. Whilst I love many of my perfumes, no other has felt quite 'signature status' - the one perfume that is the extension of me, the right expression of my personality. This is it and I was hooked the first time I tried it.
This is such a unique scent - I don't detect any of the notes individually, I just simply love the harmony they create. What I can say is that on me this is overall a very warm fragrance with a hint of sweetness and a hint of spice - just perfect.
I do find it to be somewhat comforting yet it also has that allure factor and air of mystery about it.
I honestly feel this is a timeless fragrance, suitable for day/evening, all seasons and all occasions. A true classic that will always be with me.
I recommend trying this one, you just never know :)

judee
judee

The most beautiful perfume of all for me ... we've met in 1998... I did not really appreciate the perfume at that time since I was too young, but I did help my mum to use it up ;-). (Actually I always knew I love vanilla and cinnamon, that was all the perfume knowledge I had at that time).
Anyway the Dune really smelled nice to me, warm and vanill-ic and a bit smokey.. The years went by and I was no longer teenager.. I was no longer confused by the marketing power trying to sell me "young and fresh" perfumes, in other words floral fruity which were all over the place at that time ... then I recalled Dune ... I knew I've had to have it ... I got myself a bottle in the next week .. and when I sprayed it on my wrist ... first the childhood memories came back and then the daydreaming that comes with Dune ... dreaming of the far away deserts,resting in the hot sun, your brown skin shinning in the sun hot but clear wind breezing over your face ... SO COMFORTING! I will always own at least a bottle of Dune, this is a keeper.

LunaPearl
LunaPearl

I tried to like this :(

I've read that Dune was meant to represent the transition from the dramatic, power-dressing fragrances of the eighties, to the carefree, ozonic fragrances of the nineties.

A warm fragrance indeed, Dune smells like burnt grass and broomsticks.

melbritt24
melbritt24

Tested it at Walgreens today. Not sure what to think about it! Strong opening - almost leathery, which makes me nauseous, must be the aldehydes? I don't have much experience with aldehydes so I'm not sure. I'll have to wait for the dry down later today and see if it gets better. I just can not stomach leather scents!!!

HAHAHA Olga, that is sooo funny! Everybody frantically grabbing Light Blue and Euphoria! HAHA!!
Welcome to the power of Marketing!!
I think Dune is the ULTIMATE must own for perfumistas that take themselves seriously.
Dune is one of a kind, genius and uncomparable.

lizzie81
lizzie81

I discovered this one recently and i really like it, i can imagine its not to everyones taste though. Its really unique and i can't really think of another one thats like it. On me i don't get any of the florals or citrus just a lovely woody, smokey smell. Like warmed up benzoin (which i love) mixed with dark ashey woods and insense lovely!!

etmpewo
etmpewo

A nice, light fragrance for a care-free day.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

To me, this is extremely masculine. The initial scent is overpowering musk and moss, and even in the dry down I'm left mainly with the basenotes and hardly any complexity from the top sweet notes.

fanny
fanny

This one I have really tried to wear.
Unfortunately for me it is too too sweet and sort of shallow. I can understand though how others must love this warm and cosy scent.
Rarely, I like to use a big lump of Dune soap, on cold winter days. Not much, but still something!

Siv55
Siv55

Very very warm and dry smelling. A rare example of advertising gelling with the actual packaging and concept. Not sure if it's just a happy coincidence or by design but very good perfume with dry skin.
Been through bottles of this. Not sure if my nose has changed with age or if they've changed the formula recently. It doesn't seem to be the thing I once loved. I will try to keep loving it though, I will not abandon an old friend, even in its twillight.

My lovely Dune, you have been with me almost my entire perfume career, since my teens!!

This perfume is one of a kind. I keep reading Turin saying it is like the vintage Venice and Cartier Must. I really don't get that comparison at all. I think this is a one of a kind that REALLY was able to grasp the 'SANDY oriental' feeling! I see myself on the Camel in the Sahara, 50 degrees, wearing Dune.

Venice and Must are really different than this perfume.

Vamy69
Vamy69

I love this! To me this smells almost identical to Addict and I am a HUGE fan of Addict so of course I also love Dune. And Dune is less expensive than Addict. It lasts forever and most certainly is not for the faint of heart. Use with a light hand or most likely you will clear a room! Love love lovey love!!!!!!

olga1780
olga1780

It took me a while to get Dune, because I am too cheap ( and smart) to pay retail price and don't like to buy minis or smaller bottles. So I was lurking on Ebay for a while until I got my 3.4 oz. And let me tell you, this beauty was soooo worth the wait.
It's funny that I worked in the perfume department for a few years in the past and never tested it once because of the sales people trashing it and calling it a stinker. I remember Dune, just like Poison was not even in the glass display case, and people usually had to ask for it, which happened very rarely and we barely sold any (everyone was frantically grabbing Light Blue and Euphoria).

This stuff is truly amazing, especially the way Dior was able to recreate the scent of the sand baking in the sun. Absolutely love it.
Too bad that so many narrow minded people can't understand and appreciate finer things in life.

efm

I am still cross X years later that Dior dropped the EDP. The perfume came in a gold coloured bottle about 5 inches high. Lasted for hours but subtle sillage.
I loved it. Interesting, uplifting, not overtly sexy but still plenty of appeal.

Has the new EDP still got oakmoss, as suggested by into to this page ?

Kazorwaman
Kazorwaman

Easy to fall in love with this fragrance if you like Dior and a little bit "heavy" scents.If you are mature enought...
I think it is a typical "Dior" scent: warm and weird, heavy and light, smooth and sharp :)

And to my mind, Dior has fulfilled the task:
"DUNE" - I nearly could feel the warm breeze from Sahara...

HeavenlyScent
HeavenlyScent

For the mature woman. I only started to enjoy this fragrance after 3-4 hours on my skin. Ballsy and too mature for my taste.

aelias
aelias

I really like it. There is a smokiness about this one, which I could see as a big turn off for someone looking for a strictly floral fragrance. Dior scents are really unique - love them or hate them, you have to give credit for being bold.

eilismaireg

I received this scent from my mum as a pressie as she doesn't like it. I must say, I was NOT keen on this fragrance on its release....but...
I tested this one (again) today before I went on a run, so it ran through its phases quickly as I got warmer! This has got to be the 'Frank-N-Furter' of perfumery! Fresh/warm, female/male, loveable/weird. It is absolutely unique and after the slightly unfriendly top notes wear off I TOTALLY smell the wallflower (one of my personal favorite smells) and I recognised it as utterly familiar when I saw it is one of the notes. It has now dried down to a beautiful, clear amber scent. It does feel like a day at the beach - exhilarating heat, dryness and freshness all at once. A major perfume monument!!

isi
isi

Es un perfume elegante y original, apropiado para personas mayores. En mi piel no me gusta como me queda, cuando lo probé no hallaba como deshacerme del olor, ya que es muy fuerte, penetrante y agresivo. Lo siento pero para mi gusto es en una sola palabra …… horrible. Sorry !!!

It is an elegant and original perfume, suitable for seniors. In my skin I do not like me is, when I tried it was not like getting rid of the smell, and that is very strong, sharp and aggressive. I'm sorry but my taste is in one word ... ... horrible. Sorry !!!

Love, love ,love!
Just got it, it is lovely! Elegant and interesting, well layered and balanced!Big personality n class!

passionata20
passionata20

People!
DO go for the older version of the DUNE!!!!
When i have read all the reviews here and then smelled the fragrance i could not understand what is all the fuss about.
BUT then i was lucky to smell the un-reformulated version and i get it now!
The new one is very dry, like a handful of sand thrown in your face, but the original one is like a sunny day on the beach: the warm water, the sun and the sand are all here! Amazing fragrance for summer!!!

flowermom
flowermom

i remember when this first came out i was around 21 & only wore "designer" scents (how times have changed!!) anyhoo i used to love this, a really strong almost powdery scent, very noticable, i really felt "grown up", i think i wore it for around a year as it was quite pricey back then, but now im 40 & i simply couldnt tolerate it im afraid, way too heavy, but i still remember the smell!!

LaPetite

This is a scent i would have loved to love , great TV and magazine ad , pretty puffy bottle , BUT way too strong, and not in a good way ! Many Dior perfume are too snotty , and this one is no exception . I really tried hard though , a few days ago i tried it again, but i just can't sorry ! :-(

Natalie467
Natalie467

Oh my, I'm nearly choking here. Normally I love a strong perfume but this is unpleasant. I am on the verge of a cold, bronchitis or an upper-respiratory thing-that could be why. I also worked out today which always seems to open up my lungs & nose and I can smell EVERYTHING, especially that woman on the treadmill wearing Shalimar-did not bother me at all.

This is my 2rd wearing of Dune. First time I wasn't sick, and still thought the opening was a bit harsh, but the dry down was very likeable, rich and warm and reminded me slightly of Hypnotic Poison minus the root beer. So I'm trying it again and 3 hours later the top note harshness is still sticking in my throat although it seems has worn down to just a faintness, pleasant skinscent that is barely there.

*cough* wheeze* I will give this another whirl when this cold or whatever is gone. Maybe the third time will be a charm?

mimosabee
mimosabee

It is a very strong perfume. I can see this as a signature perfume for a 40+ well-groomed,ambitious woman with a courageous hair color like platinum etc. I think you have to be haute couture all the time to be able to carry this scent elegantly. It is not for every day use. It certainly is a demanding scent with a distinctive reserved but mysterious charisma.

One last remark, It has a foggy, incense like undertone that does not go well with fair skin

kristina_vili
kristina_vili

I don`t like it.Very mature scent.Hard and agressive.When I smell it on my skin when I was tested for first time I imagine old lady who try to be young and impressive again but can`t.

lisa_k
lisa_k

I love this fragrance. It works so well on me and gives me joy when I wear it. It smells different on other people, which thankfully has prevented friends from borrowing or stealing it.

It definitely smells fresh and bright at first and then warms down to a delicious caramel-earthy scent. It is almost as good as a day at the beach.

ioneb72
ioneb72

This fragrance is almost impossible to describe! Perfect in every way! Number one fan! It has that something that makes you feel happy and beautiful and successful!

oona noir
oona noir

Really lovely and distinctive. Both modern and romantic. I can picture this as a signature scent on the right woman, regardless of age.

srimati
srimati

I had a bottle many years ago and remember liking it. I revisited Dune in the new year and I still have affection for it. It has just enough of the, vanilla, benzoin, patchouly and amber to give it the oriental flair I like, but the florals shine through quite nicely as well. Its' one of my favorites by Dior besides Diorella which I truly miss.

youriko

This was my first love I receive this at my 13 birthday and it started my love affair whit perfume. It also influence the type of perfume I like. One whit character,quality, and elegance to it. Something strong and delicate at the same time. Unfortunately at 13 those categories of perfume was out of my reach and I wanted more. And that bring me to the Avon perfumes later the Yves Rocher collection as my income grow so did the price of my selection. And all started whit Dune from Dior my love has turned in to a passion.

SarahNichole
SarahNichole

I love the smell of this one - in the bottle. On me, it smells like raw sewage. It doesn't work with my chemistry at all, but on others, it can be magical. It really does smell like the ocean, but unfortunately, only a few people can really pull this one off.

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

The combo of benzoin and aldehyde lets me know this is going to be a disaster or a masterpiece. At initial spray I instantly smell the peony and aldehyde, a floral tanginess that I'm not quite sure about, followed by a whisper of jasmine. The drydown is more embraceable with vanilla and sandalwood. The powdery muskiness envelops the senses so blissfully. I think Dune is a pleasant fragrance, not the best and not the worst, just pleasant. There are only 2 things that are wrong with it. For some reason, this evoked sneezes from everyone around me! And secondly, it doesn't last very long at all. I will still wear it again.

Sassy1
Sassy1

This affects me as a deep yet ethereal floriental akin to a sheer veil or a swath of chiffon. Airy and light while at the same time dense and substantial.
The scent is remindful of a desert wind with hints of tumbleweed brush and blooming wildflowers. There is a salty sweetness that develops to support the oceanside feeling but definately not an aquatic scent.

Update: This needs to come in an EDP version...the EDT just doesn't last at all. It's very pretty for about 3 hours then nothing.

Such a shame....

nancinha
nancinha

The first time I smelled Dune was in one of my mom's magazines when I was around 10 or 11 years old. I remember enjoying this fragrance even at that tender age! Fast forward about a decade later... I was walking through the mall and decided to spray some on my wrist and was very impressed!!! A couple months later my mom bought it for me as a gift after I told her how much I loved it. This was when I was 21 and even now some years later, this fragrance never ceases to amaze me.

It's the perfect Fall/Winter scent, spicy and warm with a hint of sandalwood and vanilla that makes it sexy and intoxicating (in a good way). I can understand that it might not work for some, but if you have the right chemistry for it, I suggest you take advantage of this alluring perfume. :)

elyelf
elyelf

i used it for a long time, but for now it seems like an old and mature perfume to me. i use it's body lotion now and it's more younger and modern and really different, when i use it everyone ask what i'm wearing. it's not heavy but noticeable and alluring in a different way

hishamharum@yahoo.com
hishamharum@yahoo.com

I literally run away from any person wearing this. It's has a muted scent about it, not sharp yet it's piercingly strong and is able to attack the nostrils, bringing the assault right to the brain. No offence to anyone, but I do feel nauseous when I get even a whiff of it a mile away. Yet another one in this category for me is the that green Poison scent. Torturous indeed. Yet, the fragrance that comes with a similar name but in a dark violet or purplish container, can lend a measure of allure and sensuality to its user.

airwatersun
airwatersun

i so agree with you, agent ;)
it was my signature scent years ago, i guess it was good on my skin too. mysterious, lasting, intriguing, sexy, just right.

Agent Provocateur101
Agent Provocateur101

Hmmmm Dune

I remember this beauty sitting on the top shelf of the bathroom cabinet for a good few years,untouched and unloved......it was bought for my mum and i guess she didnt appreciate it, i used to occasionally steal a sniff and i didnt appreciate it either (young inexperienced nose)

Many years passed without me smelling this perfume again, until recently, when i was given a "Dior mini's collection" and this was one of them!!!

I love this scent :) a gorgeous, heavy, powdery floral,with a slight hint of aldehydes and a touch of creamy vanilla all combining to create an elegent, sensual,seductive feminine fragrance....perfect to team with a little black dress or a floaty ball gown.

I recently wore this to a wedding party and i loved every stage of this scent's evolution from the clean, powdery top notes, through the floral bouquet middle notes down to the creamy vanilla,amber and tonka bean base.

This wonderful, often overlooked fragrance will have a permanent place in my wardrobe from here on in
xxx

nova6
nova6

I LOVE!!!!!THIS PERFUME. IT REALLY SUITS MY CHEMISTRY. I GET MORE COMPLIMENTS THAN ANY OTHER PERFUME I WEAR. IT IS WONDERFUL!

polka
polka

Do I like Dune? Well.. I love to test it, I am in heaven each and every time I track this perfume in a public place (which – unfortunately – happens less and less often as most apparently flowery, sweet, generic frags gradually monopolize the perfume taste of women in my country.) I could even keep a bottle of Dune just in order to sniff it from time to time. However… I am not ready to use it. And I really don’t know why. Will I ever grow to wear it? I hope so.

Frankly, I don’t care for the notes. I don’t need to recognize them to see that Dune is a masterpiece. To me, it is an absolute classic of perfumery, I really appreciate its unique composition, so different from all these new, fruity-flowery frags, emerging on the market every quarter.

Dune is a perfect balance of the opposites: hot and cold, sweetness and saltiness, proximity and distance. Even if I smell it on someone in a small, crowded, cramped room, I have an illusion of endless open space, a distant travel in the pursuit of simoom.

Maybe one day I will finally dare to reach for this rounded bottle…

krishka

went shopping today and sprayed it on me at the perfume department, unfortunately my nose is a bit blocked so can't smell it properly...got a lot of compliments though from the pple arnd me...hte only thing i can say for sure is that is longlasting and i think i'd like it a lot when my sense of smell returns!It is kinda of unisex...

update:
loving it, it is so unique, changes and develops for hours

mandi
mandi

Thanks to Action I now have this beauty

Dune smells like walking on the beach on a cool evening just before high tide. The air is salty and rich,and a bit musky. You feel the breeze and anticipate the waters approach - that's how i feel when i wear Dune.

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

Something off topic here, but I love the song Kashmir by Led Zepplin like you wouldn't believe.

Dune for me is a daydreaming moment, like the song. I feel overwhelmed of warm beauty and freedom.

Wearing a soft SILK kaftan, as this is how you should wear Dune as a soft veil. Please spritz with a delicate hand like a caress.

Not for everyday but for quiet moments of bliss.

Rouu
Rouu

tasted it today , and i hate it !! OMG so strange fragrance like u went back 30 years ago ,
sharp strong and provocative note at 1st , so masculine ! its not Dior Line at all , personally i think its more than enough for moody beldame !

perfumes_addict
perfumes_addict

i had a sample of this one a few years ago and i very much enjoyed it. recently, i gave it another try because i was hoping i would buy it, but there was something about it that i truly hated. it smelled really... harsh, so to say. it was oddly synthetic and too masculine than i remembered. like a perfume gone bad. i will give it another try soon because i hope i will come to like it again if i give it another chance.

adele l
adele l

Had a bottle years ago- it's really lovely, almost masculine. something along the lines of obsession by ck but more refined. Not at all flowery on my skin- a smooth woody oriental. The perfume concentration being the smoothest and richest option..

beautyinthemundane
beautyinthemundane

I was given this as a gift in the late 90s and was convinced I was going to love it, but alas no. It's either my chemistry or I simply don't like the combination of notes, but this smelled to me like I'd spent an evening in an Indian restaurant, got home a bit drunk, dropped my clothes on the floor and the following day, this is the smell coming off them- tandoori chicken, naan bread and musty clothes. Really not an aroma I want in a perfume! Smelled it again recently & still the same..nope, not for me.

mocha43

Looking at the ingredients, I think it must be the benzoin in it that gives it the scent that I really do not like. Sorry, Dune.

mocha43

I had this and wanted to like it but it had a burned rubber scent to it that would not quit. I gave it to my daughter with that warning and told her to pass it on if she didn't like it.

Sissi
Sissi

Walking though the Saharan Desert beneth
The Dark Firey Topaz Sky where Heaven and Earth Touches your seeking spritual
truth you come across a Leopard to guide you to your journey and from out of nowhere you here singing accompaned
with incense and you come across a caravan with Camels a gypsy Caravan
full of colors scents danceing and goes on into the early Morning and the caravan moves on and a giant sandstrom
sweeping though and your blown in every direction until a Very Tall slender
Man with a Blue Turban and robe using
part of his turban to cover his face from the searing dust Dark like copper
Eyes like Piercing Jewels
Ala Omar Shaif. on a horse takes you by the hand riding with him into the sunset

This Perfume Conjures up for me the
sand dunes of the Sahara very dry and

efm

I miss the original parfum which was wonderful. Now unfortunately it seems Dune is no longer available in either parfum or eau de parfum - just the EDT. The latter is pleasant but lacks the earthy/sandy complexity of the original release in its tactile gold bottle.
What was destined to be a classic is come pack to the very crowded pack.

I wish corporates would respect the original composition of the classics that served them well, instead of squeezing the last budget dollar from the consumer. Much better to wait for the wheel of public taste to turn once more and allow a new generation to discover the beauty and spark of the perfumers art. I am sick of perfume releases that rely on marketing and an industrial chemist. Where is the art in that ?

maria80
maria80

I had it when I was 20,I was really comfortable to wear this elegant perfume.and still in love.....

eilismaireg

Like this but couldn't wear it. A very strange scent which is completely distinctive though lacking in warmth too much for me. A real individuals scent which should be worn by someone who dresses in futuristic white, lives in a space pod and listens to david bowie. Very detached and unsettling - there is no comfort in this one!

zvoncica
zvoncica

Rithacha review is in absolute concordance with my opinion! I am also going back and fort in strange romance affaire with Dune. Every of our meetings ended up unexpectedly and showed a face I’ve never seen before. If there is perfume tough to pour in words than this is it.

*-----------------------------------*
The Dune Lady lives in India, as ambassadors wife in colonial house. She enjoys her cold tea on front porch and nibbles white chocolate. There is a shadow falling over the cypress tree. The sun is low, almost kissing the ground. Or drowning. Everything is red. The newspapers on the table are printed in bold dark letters, and ink from it left the trail on her hands. She smears the gray trace on her cheeks while trying to keep herself awake. Mosquitoes bite her legs. She throws the newspapers trying to make them go away. Air is steamy, like hot lid pressing her forehead. No wind whatsoever. She lights vanilla flavored cigarette. I’ll quit from tomorrow, she thinks, maybe.
*-------------------------------------*

rithacha
rithacha

Dune and I have a love-hate relationship. No, more accurately, a love-like relationship. I can never make up my mind whether it's a perfume I lovelovelove or just like. For instance, right now, we're in serious love. I wouldn't mind smelling like Dune for the rest of my life. But other times I feel so ambivalent about Dune that I want to swap it. I think Dune is the kind of perfume created for a certain mood: when I feel strong and efficient, a little spray of Dune sets me on top of the world. When I feel down, Dune does nothing to comfort me and make me feel happier.

The smell itself is much harder to describe than the mood it creates. There's a breeze of aldehydes at the start and a vaguely coniferous note like crushed pine needles. A bitter bite of lemon zest mellowing into an opulent lily heart. A very plush scent, but not a moist one. The benzoin and moss from the base root the fragrance in the dry dry earth. Dior did a fantastic job with creating an olfactory experience so unique that it cannot be described in reference to any other existing smell. What does Dune smell like? A hot desert right before a thunderstorm.

To me, Dune is more an experience than a perfume I could easily wear. I can't think of an occaision that would suit it best. The office? Too much sillage. Hot days? Too heavy. Cold days? Not enough warm notes. Nighttime? Too brisk and invigorating. I think I just need to step out of my comfort zone - good riddance to convention - and just wear it.

Volta
Volta

The most masculine fragrance ever created for women! Outstanding!

After yesterday's walk down memory lane to the days when I practically drank ALLURE by the bottle, I decided to try to ascertain why the same is not true of DUNE. I am still making my way slowly through a 3.4oz edt acquired years ago.

Odd, since I feel the same sense of yumminess in DUNE today as I found in ALLURE yesterday. The two are definitely siblings, which is to state I suppose the obvious, given that they are both categorized as oriental florals. But look at the list of notes in DUNE--and its tripartite structure! Aldehydes? Ou cela? To me this is sweetly floral--not a drop of soap anywhere to be found.

I seem to have changed my mind: DUNE is just as luscious as ALLURE, just as comforting, just as nearly potable. And it seems especially nice on this bitter, frosty day, as I sit inside snuggled in a down comforter...and DUNE!
But this is not a fragrance that I could wear every day: it's too sweet and commanding for that. This is for winter, good cheer for the holidays, like eggnog or hot spiced wine.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is not one of my favorites at all. I disliked it so much that I gave the bottle away to a nurse I used to work with-she thought I was the "Cats Eye" after that but I was just happy to unload the stuff. We both got what we wanted though. I cannot warm up to this scent although It looks as though plenty of people do like it.

ignis
ignis

To me, Dune, is equivalent to holding a cold sea-shell by the ear, on a hot sunny day, barefooted on the sea-shore, while listening to its mystical echos from within.

Apart from that, it's a major memory inducer for me. It was a good friend of mine's signature fragrance, in our last years of highschool and early University... it will always remind me of her, and the great time we had.

Persephone
Persephone

Distant, but close. Cold, but warm. This fragrance is build on oxymoron, which makes it so interesting. I smell a dark chocolate note, but unlike all the modern confections this one is inedible. It is sweet, but salty at the same time. What a strange almost cruel beauty, this Dune! I see myself wandering the cold rainy Vienna streets in November, staring through the windows of a cozy and warm chocolate shop from the other side. The window case with all the treats looks magnificent and inviting, but the door sign reads "CLOSED".

amber_glow
amber_glow

My mother uses this perfume. Personally I don't like. Too strong for me. And definitely not for young.

falovalo
falovalo

The fragrant calling of feline urine! Seriously, it does remind me a little bit of wee, not really something I'm longing to smell like. It's bold and states "Here I am, acknowledge me." I must admit, I was so hoping to like this one, as I love Dior. I guess you can't win them all...

notme
notme

It's one of a kind. It smells like royalty, one wouldn't expect to encounter this smell in ordinary people. It imposes, it states: class, elegance, distinction. It's sweetish, but it has an undernote that hypnotises people around. Gorgeous!

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Dune is a masterpiece skinscent.
I don't have much to add to the previous reviews.Just one thing.

The nose behind it, monsieur Sieuzac, has only made about 4 -incredible-perfumes:Dune, Fahreneit, Opium and a second edition of Opium I think.

When is he going to create a new composition, absolutely impossible to imitate, like all of his work so far?

Mr Sieuzac where are you?

brown sugar
brown sugar

number one on my list of ten fav perfumes...sigh.i feel very sophisticated when i wear it...my mummy used it when i was little and i just loved hugging her...now when i use it i still feel that hug

milena
milena

One of my top ten perfumes.Love it love it love it.Very magical and timeless, beautiful and nostalgic.

TigerLady
TigerLady

I liked it when I got it in a variety of miniatures I bought at an airport shop en route to Europe about a dozen years ago. It was a bit sweet, but the least tiresome of the collection, so I was sad to see it get used up first among the rest. I didn't like it enough to want to purchase a full-sized bottle, though. I guess I just don't care for its fragrance group very much--the spicy orientals, as they're called on the perfume sites.

Polymath
Polymath

To me, this is a very strange, if compelling fragrance. I like it...there's something pleasantly disturbing about it. It's a scent that gets my attention and makes me wonder. Maybe it's the broomflower.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

It's pleasant enough, for having that sharp note patchouli. Well-made, but very vintage for my tastes, without enough redeeming spices (pepper wouldn't help, perhaps a bit of cardamom?)
The dry down is quite nice though.

Spring25
Spring25

This fragrance opens with a sharp, warm, almost masculine feel. It very quickly changes to a very feminine, bright floral. I found the contrast surprising. The drydown is light, earthy, almost mossy. Dune is a good name for this fragrance. It evokes for me images of an Egyptian desert with lots of sand, heat and dry air. It seems an appropriate fragrance for a hot summer day (if applied sparingly), but it would probably be best enjoyed fully on a warm summer night. It lasts several hours and a little goes a long way.

enigmatict
enigmatict

reminds me of Ambre Sultan

ticalica
ticalica

it gave me constant headaches although i tried to be friendly and still wear it
i couldnt live with it so i had to give it away
seeing it reminded me oh the feeling of lying in bed with fever and a cold :(

Dune is the perfect name for this fragrance as it certainly reminds me of the smell of salt, sand and the sea. I've never lived near the ocean, so everytime I went there on a holiday it was always an exciting and fun experience.

Dune captures those feelings of happiness in its beautiful gold bottle. I can only imagine wearing this at the beach while feeling my feet sink into the soft sand and hearing the waves crash against the shoreline.

The fragrance starts off fresh and citrusy, with the aldehydes blending nicely with the citruses, peony and rosewood. Dune soon develops into a full floral heart of jasmine and rose, yet the drydown is the highlight. The vanilla and benzoin notes create warmth that can only be compared to the feeling of the hot sun warming your skin on a Summer's day.

The lasting power is fabulous, especially for an EDT that lasts over 7 hours. I really love the beachy like feeling that both this fragrance and Escape by Calvin Klein create. I had been disappointed when Escape didn't mix with my skin chemistry, so you can imagine my relief when this did.

Dune is for people that don't mind unique fragrances or being transported to another place simply by scent.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

Dior fashioned an exceptional aroma with the introduction of Dune. It's fascinating to read so many find it artificial and overwhelming. To me there is something so mysterious about it that I want to wear it in the hottest heat of summer. It has the essence of a desert in its notes. The rosewood, mandarin orange, ylang ylang, amber and vanilla transport me to another mystical world and it seems to welcome the heat to give it netherworld headiness. I too will always keep this one in my drawer for the summertime and evenings out or just an afternoon relaxing alone. It brings me confidence and allure.

I liked the concept behind when it first came out and the way it smells on others, but on my skin... a nightmare made of putrid dry stale grass with horse sweat!

inikaurora
inikaurora

suffocating in a bad way-too poisonous sweetness!I think these fruits combined with ylang ylang give this headache...

Chandramukhi
Chandramukhi

There are perfumes I don't like, or I cannot inhale too long because they are too agressive or give headache. But nothing compares to Dune. It is the most unpleasant, aggressive, nauseabond, irritating and invading perfume I have ever smelled. A nightmare.

Emeraude
Emeraude

Probé esta fragancia en una época de mucho calor aquí en mi país
(Argentina),y sinceramente no me gustó.Luego de un tiempo decidí darle otra oportunidad...y realmente esta vez empecé a disfrutarla.Aunque me sigue pareciendo rara,ahora no me desagrada pero la verdad es que no encuentro flores en ella,alguien puede decirme a qué huele?

I tried to like this perfume,but I'm sorry that it doesn't match my chemistry.but this chemistry problem doesn't negate the truth that it's a very unique perfume and that it smells exactly like dune,a calm beach with salty sea notes and a warm sun above.
I don't think it's a peaceful perfume,it's more likely challenging and sophisticated.
about the notes,to me it's salty and sour.I can hardly detect any floral note,but aldehydes is very clear and the best part about this perfume.
these salty,sour notes never leave the whole scent,even when it remains on skin for hours.personally I don't get any difference between top and middle notes,but the base notes are clearly different.at this time it's just vanilla,sandal wood and the common base notes,mixed with kind of salty notes.
it's really something unique,but I don't consider it sexy nor a romantic feminine scent.

veronique
veronique

Musky, oriental scent, very unique, can be worn for any occasion, any time of the year. Very long lasting.
I always get compliments when I wear it.

solocha
solocha

Dune is a complex, beautiful, floral scent which has the ability to lift the mood. I credit this to the quality of certain 'scintilating', sparkling trait, similar to those Dolce Vita and Terre d'Hermes share. At all costs, it is clear that this is a perfume for/of a dame. You can trace the warmth of vanilla, unobtrusive intensity of peony with lily, uniqueness of what perhaps could be rosewood and wallflower. The notes are wriggling, coiling, changing - each few minutes a different note comes up to focus. I imagined a smartly dressed woman with perfectly done hair, but for that summer, happy attribute, it would also suit a girl in a summer dress, somewhere near the sea, in the afternoon hours, semi-casual, semi-festive. I'm sure I could trace a bit of that dry sand that some reviewers describe. I'd say it is fit for all year-round, yet mostly summer, it doesn't have that freshness of citruses and air breeze, but it has comfortable, sunlit, laid-back holiday spirit.

kayka
kayka

you should be careful with this fragrance. if you put too much, it will be horrible.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

One of my first perfumes, and I still really love it. I want at least a 1 ounce bottle for my collection. It can take me back to my childhood in a second. When I was small, I adored fashion and beauty magazines. They were shiny, glamorous, and elegant. I read Cosmo and Vogue at 11. When Dune showed up as a strip sample in an issue, it stayed in my memory for many months until I could test it at the local mall. I preferred more grown up scents instead of the popular Love's Baby Soft or Coty Exclamation. It's the smell of hot sand, wind and ocean spray with drift wood. Not a basic clean oceanic perfume, it's much more. The initial spray is powerful because this was an early 90's scent, but hang on for it to evolve on your skin.

allexa27
allexa27

Dune is one of my favourite perfumes ever and always will be.Very rich,luxorous sweeet and unique smell.when i wear it it makes me feel happy,self confident and complete.i smell chocolate in it,lots of dark sweet chocolate

minimalist
minimalist

Such a risky business from Dior with this unique scent..almost misty and salty but soon softens so elegantly. For intellectuals who avoid showing out.

snobuni77
snobuni77

The very first time I applied this It seemed really masculine & strong but it dried down very nice.There is a nice mellow floral that isn't overbearingly floral due to the mossy woodsyness it has.It is very nice but it takes a minute to get that way.It's definitely worth waiting for though & it not a long wait =)
I would say it fits better with cold weather & on a mature women

ktv0926
ktv0926

So many opinions on this fragrance and they are all so different, I guess this fact compliments to the complexity of the fragrance. I have this scent on my wrist now and as I'm sniffing my hand - I'm reading reviews...

Well, what I have to say - it seems like a very nice scent, I like it, I agree with some comments that it is woody and floral at the same time - BUT! I'm adding this fragrance to my list of "fragrances that I can't remember no matter what!" For me this is a bad thing - if I can't picture the scent of the perfume in my head - I'd never want this perfume.

I just hope that I'm simply not ready for it yet and maybe one day I will learn to capture the essence of Dune:)

Robert White
Robert White

It smells good on a guy, too!

Russian
Russian

I used to wear it when I wanted to feel myself calmed down.This scent is very steady and lasting.It's like when you feel everything is floating around you,but you know exactly what you have to do.A pure and complete fragrance,but still,not "the one" for me.

sfsassy
sfsassy

I love Dune. It smells like Gothic Housewife. (my fun little way to describe it) I always get asked what I am wearing when I have it on too. I only discovered it this year by reading positive blogs on it. LOVE!

ljira
ljira

I*d rather say dune of joy.It starts like a bullet, strong and adorable. After that primeval power, it runs like the waves of desert wind as fresh sparkling flowers, eternity.. One is Dune,..like no other. Thinking as it is an old, forgotten perfume I find myself to be mistaken every time I pass through the cloud of Dune, which escaped from the bottle and filled the entire room. It lasts and lasts,..and it is perfume must have forever and ever..

irinka
irinka

I had this and still remember,it was my fist parfume and I still in love,beautiful,incredible,warm and femenine ,hot and sensual,always in my special place,magic smell ,you will never forget!

emily1981
emily1981

I tried and tried to like this perfume because my brother gave it to me as a gift but it just really unpleasant.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

A beautiful perfume. Sexy and oddly masculine for a woman's perfume. I get the dryness everyone speaks of. It is not a sparkling perfume, full of sweetness and fresh notes. It's spicy, rather heavy, and it has lovely wood notes. I cannot believe it has taken me this long to discover this gem. I love oriental perfumes and I think this one is beautiful.

LauraM
LauraM

So beautiful, I stole it from my mother (her fave). Love it to pieces.

sjanira
sjanira

I had this and I loved the smell. Unfortunately when I moved and was opening my boxes I found it chattered to pieces, what a waste!! I was soooo angry! my husband did the packing, next time I'll do it and make sure everything's nice and wrapped.

This fragrance was strong but had a nice quality to it. Very oriental and woody scent that's warm and inviting. I can see why some might not like it as it can be quite overpowering at times. It last forever and maintains that fresh just sprayed it feel.

MondeoGirl
MondeoGirl

Woody, floral and fruits - none of which are too heavy. This perfume can easily make the transition from day to night wear, although I haven't owned a bottle for many years.

susieqrj
susieqrj

I had this perfume years ago. There´s something on it that irritates me, maybe the aldehydes. I prefer Dune Sun and the male version.

Malegria
Malegria

My very favorite Dior.Precious scent and a beautiful bottle!Smells like heated pinewood,crushed artemisia leaves,all mixed with this head turning flower sweetness.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Warm, permanent. For me smells pine forest, dunes, sea. It's nostalgic as fall seaside. And as this seaside landscape, very interesting.

Jasper
Jasper

Beautiful scent. Dune is rich and luxurious. It's a scent you would never fail to identifiy. I love how its smell earthy in the warmer day and in the air-cond' room,it smell less sweet but I still have all those blooms.

Kiwichick_NZ
Kiwichick_NZ

I was disappointed when I purchased this. I automatically assumed it would be a winner after the other Dior fragrances I tried and own. It's a clean, very strong floral oriental blast at first. After a little while you can smell the jasmine come through. The woody notes and amber are almost non-existant which was what I found disappointing. Usually, in the right amounts, this is what tones down the top and middle notes but this does not happen in Dune. A wonderful but very expensive air and car freshner which is what I use it for nowadays... I can't even give it to my mother b'coz she yacks at it too.... :(

sandrina_bambina
sandrina_bambina

Dune is one of my favorite fragrance ever. It`s true "1001 night`s" saga. Winds of hot desert mixed with heat of sun and breezy air of the sea, are get together in this timeless classique. I would never give up of this fragrance, it is part of me, and its always has special place in my collection. Dune is real magic of notes and makes me so happy and complete. :)

Marianne
Marianne

Sorry, but I can't stand the smell of it at all. It doesn't seem to me as a women's perfume and it smells sooo heavy and strong. I can't make out any special note in this one. Also, somebody wearing it would get on my nerves!

caribou55313
caribou55313

Scent of dunes by the seaside in the real sense; salt taste, broom, amber, some kind of tarriness ... not in the least a light, "blue-smelling" ozone-melon calone concoction. More of a fresh oriental if you ask me! It was in prime rotation for me, for years.

2007

Dune Perfume by Christian Dior, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Dune Perfume by Christian Dior, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Dune Perfume by Christian Dior - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester
Dune Perfume by Christian Dior - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dior Dune fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dior Dune, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Dune by Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Dune by Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.