Designers » D E » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Eau Noire Dior for women and men

Eau Noire Dior for women and men
dislike

Eau Noire Dior for women and men Pictures

Eau Noire is one of the three perfumes from unisex collection, introduced in 2004. All three bottles (Bois D`argent, Eau Noire and Cologne Blanche), were designed by Hedi Slimane, who was in charged for Dior’s prestige Pour Homme pret-a-porter collection. Francis Kurkdjian is the creator of this fragrance. Grassy – spiced sage note and pleasant and fresh anis open the composition. The heart follows with lavender, Virginian cedar and coffee, and the base is warm and powdery soft with leather, vanilla and violet. It is created as cologne available in 125, 250 and 500 ml bottles.

Thyme

Lavender Virginia Cedar Coffee

Leather Violet Vanilla Licorice

Eau Noire Fragrance Reviews

Q80
Q80

i've asked the seller about the genre of people who buys this perfume & from his reply i've realized that only people who are over 40 or 50 and prestigious that buys this fragrance. the kind of women or men who has that powerful personality, and a hint of attention seeking. the kind of people who loves that when they passby some place other people would define that they were here because of the signature fragrance they always wore. it is definitely a huge bizarre essence as it contains some (i can barely define it as skunk) an animalic note that i guess the Thyme and too much Lavender created that with a tiny bit of something green and i would go for moss or algae. those three are combined together to give a very drawback top note IFF (if and only if) you have thought of it as a perfume without taking into consideration the powerful element that it was created for and the kind of personalities that uses this fragrance, so be a little bold and give it another chance or maybe a 3rd chance ;)

now i can't explain it according to my skin because my skin chemistry has a unique type, not all fragrance gives good essence on my skin. this perfume specially when it dries down (right after 20 minutes) gives me a weird essence. an old forest that has been on fire for hours and no one could extinguish it. and after 3 to 4 hours the fire almost ate all the woods and the remains are quite wet from the water that has been used to extinguish it. now this is what i have smelled on my skin and honestly Adoration by Boadicea the Victorious perfume came on my mind at once. after all it is challenging and not acceptable from the first sniff, but give more time.

Scentmad
Scentmad

I bought this when it was released. I wore it a couple of times - love masculine fragrances and I love spice so it seemed like a no-brainer that I would love this, sadly - just didn't work with my chemistry so I had to rehome it. Shame really, it just turned into curried coffee on me - very bitter notes that just gave me a headache. I am still not over the disappointment..... it SHOULD have suited me! LOL.

spirit966
spirit966

Unique, masculine, complex, fresh and warm at the same time, but not my cup of tea.

Opens with a very soapy fern and lavender note with spices such as thyme and sage. Thyme should be a sweet note (check MFK's own line of Pour le Matin) but this one has a heavy hand which makes it earthy. If anyone ever put too much dried thyme in their stews, you'll know what I am talking about... Sage gives it a anisey tinge to the smell.
The licorice note is VERY prominent and along with the sage makes this fragrance even more sour and anisey. Herb de Provence with winter spices like star anise, fennel, sage!

I don't like this combo because it reminds me of cough medicine and/or disinfectant, or chlorine in the swimming pool; no such note here, but does give me this feeling.

The coffee note peeks through around the 30 minute mark and this smells like dark coffee beans with no dairy; unlike the typical gourmands. Unfortunately the sour notes at the top makes this coffee smelt burnt, rather than enveloping. If only the top was less sour and herbal...

Immortelle is here also,and gives a hint of body to the scent and towards the 1 hour mark this and the coffee and some woods creates an enveloping scent which is actually quite good. I get a hint of coriander or tumeric here too; perhaps the infamous curry note? Its not as pronounced as what most make it out to be though I think it complements the coffee note just fine..

This is one of the best coffee notes I have ever smelt so far, but the sour top really spoils it for me...

I understand that the spices are here for the "Noire" in this fragrance, but I would have preferred more woods and coffee and immortelle, and tone down on the anisey, licorice notes.

Perhaps a lavender, clove and bergamot opening, with similar mid and basenotes?

Could be an all year fragrance.. Probably best for fall I would say
Thumbs down for me, but thumbs up for complexity. So net-net, a neutral.

Btw, is this an EDC or an EDP?

nero77
nero77

Everlasting Lavender...

So the name of Eau Noire relates to the Château de La Colle Noire, located in Provence in southern France, where Christian Dior spent his holidays in retirement. To put that in context, it makes use of a lot of Provençal (i.e. Mediterranean notes), namely Sage, Thyme, Lavender, Immortelle and Liqorice. Also, I read that the head of design at Dior, Hedi Slimane, wanted something that he would wear based on his lifelong signature scent, which was Pour un Homme de Caron, with it's Lavender-Vanilla combination; and what better man to do it than Francis Kurkdjian, the man who created the world famous Lavender and Vanilla bomb, "Le Male"?

Right out of the bottle I get a really aromatic thyme note (listed by Dior as 'white Spanish thyme'). Thyme as a herb can be sharp and is unmistakable, I also detect sage, which adds to the herbal build-up. The thyme, sage and lavender all play on the dry herbal aspects of one another to give Eau Noire a definite herbal quality. I would describe this fragrance as a "herbal gourmand" or "aromatic gourmand", purely because of the aromatic coffee-vanilla and herbal lavender pairing. I happen to love the smell of lavender, and the lavender here smells very much like the almost-dry lavender picked off the bush in hot summer. The herbs are then paired with a deep-roasted coffee bean note, with the leather and liquorice simmering underneath.

With regards to the infamous "curry note". I wonder if the mention of Immortelle or 'everlasting flower' is not just a trick of the mind? As it could also be the liquorice/thyme combination or the burnt vanilla-coffee mixing with the herbs and leather? On the Dior website Immortelle isn't listed in the notes. However, if the flower IS in the fragrance (and many people swear it is), it most certainly forms its backbone, the very thread which holds it together, and in this sense it completes a very Mediterranean vibe when paired with the herbal qualities of the sage, thyme and lavender.

Overall, Eau Noire may be a love or hate fragrance. It is undeniably well made and well composed, of that there is no doubt. It smells extremely natural, very much like sitting on a Mediterranean hillside in the South of France in hot summer whilst sipping an authentic espresso. It's gourmand, it's definitely interesting, and whilst it's not for everyone, and it's certainly not bad. I for one find it really unique, and not something that I come across very often in fragrances.

yvashche
yvashche

Its hard to find a good coffee perfume, but this spicy dark creation hits the spot. The coffee really lasts and the opening green notes create a pleasant combination.

jlfears
jlfears

Be patient with this review.

I drink a lot of strong, rich coffee. My clothes always have a little "sweated out" coffee smell, especially in warm weather, and especially, say, in the armpits of fitted sweaters.

I also eat a *lot* of vegetarian Indian food ~ very spicy, at that. This also comes out in my sweat, mostly in my armpits.

I eat lots of ginger, garlic, turmeric, and cardamom.

So, already, I have pheromone-musk-BO mixed with expensive coffee and spicy Indian food in my sweaters. And other spices galore.

Eau Noire on my bare, unscented skin smells *exactly* like my warm clothes when I've been drinking good coffee and eating rich, spicy, veggie Indian nom noms.

I can't think of any better way to explain the complexities of this scent other than to say that ~ to me, on me ~ it's body odor (in a good, raunchy way), coffee, Indian food... and sometimes, just a hint of Bond no9 Chinatown...

Verdict: LOVE.

NOT for everyone.

Different on everyone.

hedward
hedward

Wow.. this one odd fragrance. This is one of those fragrances that really puzzles you from the very first spray.

Eau Noire opens up VERY green and herbal - fennel and cow parsley to be precise. I wouldn't say it was pleasant but it was very powerful and had an emotional quality to it - reminded me of my early childhood. Then boom all of a sudden the fennel hid and a very interesting curry note appeared paired with the typical Dior's vanilla.

The curry was there just for a few minutes until boom again it was gone and a strong violet had replaced it. This is the point where Eau Noire becomes linear - and very similar to the drydown of L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain. When I close my eyes while smelling Eau Noire it really gives me a strong image. I see an elegant lady wearing the "new look" and drinking coffee in the 50's Paris. She reaches for her suede bag and pulls out a small bottle of L'Heure Bleue from which she dabs the parfum extrait to her long majestic neck.

Stunning!! Sweet, powdery, opulent and refined!

Smell 9/10 x 2
Longevity / Potency 8/10
Versatility 6/10
Complexity 9/10
x2

Overall score 82/100

Okay lets talk about Eau Noire shall we?

ANECDOTE ALERT!!!!
(I'll keep it brief I promise;)

So I'm at the Dior counter and I've got my heart set on buying Ambre Nuit (after trying most of the range extensively) and then Eau Noire goes and throws a spanner in the works. I got Ambre nuit in the end but this gave me a banquet of food for thought. The lady on the Dior counter told me that "I'd never guess what notes were in this fragrance!" I didn't relish being put on the spot either after sniffing out lots of things previously my nose felt a little burned out!
Anyway... regardless she sprayed it on a card and wafted it around for a half a minute or so still claiming "You won't get what it is." she also told me how this particular scent had been revered and highly acclaimed in the fragrance world as a masterpiece. I was thinking... well let me smell it then!!! Haha
Even before she did and three feet away from me, I could smell it and instantly I exclaimed..."Coffee!!! It's coffee isn't it?" To which she replied No! I'm glad to see it listed in the notes on here and I feel somewhat vindicated! However, when quizzed I couldn't really tell what was going on with this fragrance, it's very odd I got cedar too, slightly herby and a dark creamy thing...all of which she said No to. (But are included on here and in Dior's own bumf!)
As soon as she gave me clues like "It's the same colour as your shirt..." (Purple)
AH HA....Lavender and as soon as she said it became so clear and strong which reminded me slightly of L'occatan EDT.
Took me a while to get the licorice but as it settled down the notes balance out perfectly and become clearer.
So do I like this fragrance?
Yes I have to say I love it such a strange combo of prominent Lavender, Licorice and coffee with the herbiness of thyme and a sappiness of cedar. I'm totally sold on this fragrance it's great!
Lasts well on my skin too as I've tried it a few times now.
Luckily she gave me 15ml(I must be a charmer) worth of samples of this one alone so as soon as I get it in an atomizer... I will wear it properly.
To cap it all I discover that this fragrance is by one of my favourite perfumers Francis Kurkdjian...and frankly I shouldn't have been surprised.
Hats of to Dior yet again...I will definitely be adding this superb green juice to my collection at some point in the future.

Michael1962
Michael1962

For mine Eau Noire behaves like the dysfunctional sibling in the Diors Privee Collection household.
Not sure of where it sits in the grand scheme of things.
It starts with an Irish Moss cough syrup vibe thanks to the thyme as a topnote so I can relate to other comments about a medicinal olfactory experience.
I smell a green herbal opening with a licorice twist which is all a bit too screechy and forced.
The coffee midnote,which I notice here but not in Dior Vetiver, arrives to calm it down and mellow it out a tad and the cloying vanilla rounds it out during the drydown.
Whilst there is real quality there with the ingredients I feel Dior has dropped the ball on this one.It disappoints me to say so as Dior is one of my favourite perfumers.
Definitely an acquired taste and maybe better suited to the cooler months as I can imagine it would be quite overpowering in warmer weather.

SuperUltraFabulous
SuperUltraFabulous

I usually dislike licorice accords. But I love this! Very warm, comforting. Perfect for fall or winter. There is floral in the background that I find that perfectly balances the warmer accords.

Funny, I do smell the over-done pancakes accord. I like it though.

So, is this full bottle worthy? This is a peculiar composition, if not polarizing, and needs to be tried first.

ateghipc
ateghipc

Smells like soup to me. Really wanted to like this one, but couldn't.

houstcs
houstcs

Have a tiny sample of this, anyone who doesn't like it let me know. This is of perfection, bliss, and euphoric. It's like spilling the highest quality coffee all over you, after added sweetener and caramel cream

toffelin
toffelin

The first thing I felt when I sprayed it on my wrist was a strong, heavy scent of leather, violet and licorice spreding in the entire room. After a while it settled down a bit and then I started to sense more of the notes. Now I'm sensing a lot of licorice and violet and a little bit of vanilla, leather, lavender and coffee. The scent have become softer and it absolutely is a perfume that I'm going to use until my 1,5 ml sample is empty, but I'm not going to pay a lot of money for a full sized bottle. Maybe I'll buy another sample when this one is empty, because it really is a nice perfume. I'll give it 7/10 Points.

Muzoona
Muzoona

its very herbal.. its remind me medicines with fresh herbs.. very odd, not for women at all.

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

I imagine this would smell quite different and indeed much nicer on a lady, but on a chap, or perhaps just on me, it smells disparate; like incompatible facets are vying with each other so at the same time it smells both sharp and smooth, meaty and floral, culinary and sickly. It doesn't seem to gel and with itself and makes me as a wearer feel rather unsettled, so I wouldn't say I'm especially keen on this but it was aptly described here as polytonal and if that effect appeals to you then you might like its surprising juxtapositions but it isn't an easy wear as such and may leave you and those around you ill at ease.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Just like not every mind can handle and fully appreciate a Picasso or Dali painting, the same thing happens to noses when they meet Dior's EN. This is a Picasso/Dali equivalent fragrance. Not all noses and processing brains will appreciate this masterful work of art.

EN is an olfactory maze of ying-yang scents. It is warm and cold, sweet/spicy and woody/leathery, bright and obscure, simple and complex. Indeed, its name says it all: black water. You don't know what you might get or what to make of it when you wade in it. The key here is to relax and take it in. Just breath in every punch that is thrown at you with your eyes closed and take in each aroma and you may start valuing the grand bal of scents that dance together here. It is a mary-go-round composition where each note underneath the core licorice and lavender combo decides to jump in randomly, show up for a moment, and then suddenly be replaced by another. You will not get bored with this polytonal composition.

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

What the hell just happened to my nose!?

It's like someone fired a curried crème brûlée at my face for standing too close to their cedar/lavender bonfire: I admire his boldness but I'm still not too sure how happy I am about receiving such a bizarre and pungent faceful.

I'm trying so hard to like it...

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Curry meets Caramel, Smells like Shikakai Herbal Hair Powder, 5/10 - Thank god its only a decant, a really failed Kurdkjian composition, unless you are into these type of thang, though the scent shows a much better phase after the mid is exposed, i think is not enough to warrant a purchase given the price/performance ratio of such a concoction, i suggest you try before you buy,

johngreenink
johngreenink

A real masterpiece of subtlety and spice. I've never found a lavender cologne that was so sublime and gently leathery. There are so many sides to this beautiful scent.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Eau Noire is the "Dark Knight" of this Exclusives range.
As so fittingly described by "mbanderson61" it is fascinatingly juxtaposed between bitter and sweet (licorice), exotic yet familiar, cold yet cosy, and so on.

A somewhat sinister affair of spices and herbs, like a secret recipe for a herbal tea that promises the unpromisable of a secret place in a foreign land.

Reminds me of "Antiode" Victor & Rolf that is equally strange smelling. Or Sambucca, Ouzo 12, Raki, or any other anis based liquor. Jaegermeister and Fernet Branca anyone?

Cannot warm to this one as it reminds me of bitter cough syrup.

mortderire
mortderire

The anise in the opening is promising but then it devolves into an aunt jemima sticky movie-theatre floor mess.

naps2d
naps2d

As A Huge Fan Of The Mastermind Behind This, Hedi Slimane, It's a Must Have..Unfortunately Here in Greece It's Impossible To Find, Moreover It's Ebay Price Is Way Too High.

Being myself an Immortelle freak I expected to dig Eau Noir but, unfortunately, that didn't happen. Where Sables pushes to the very limit the boldness of Helichrysum by introducing a massive dose of amber, Eau Noir focuses on its gourmandic/syrupy aspect adding a liqorice effect and a strong vanilla base that bring this composition towards a cloying territory that's very far from my taste. The remarkable lavender note experienced during the opening it's too volatile to properly balance the fragrance sweet heaviness while the general syrupy vibe leans somewhere between the coca-cola effect and sweetened stale coffee.

When I'm looking for a Helichrysum based composition I go for Sables, 1740 and Fareb. A semi-disappointment.

Rating: 6.5-7/10

cryman41
cryman41

I've seen it in a famous boutique of my city and I fell in love litterally...it's so suggestive, beautiful for winter nights, when you want to feel trasgressive

brianplace
brianplace

This is pretty great. Reminiscent of l'Homme Sage by Divine. Incredible depth of spice - can't stop smelling it.

I get a 'coca cola' accord peeking out from behind the helichrysum (curry-sugar) accord once in a while. Very nifty.

Too bad it's very difficult to find these days. :(

mbanderson61
mbanderson61

An elegant comfort scent, Eau Noire is both dark and soft, bitter and sweet. The immortelle lends an exotic slightly bitter quality, which, along with lavender, thyme and sage, provide an aromatic opening. But a honeyed spiciness and the sweetness of vanilla wrap the scent in warmth and softness. Classified as a cologne for men, but easily worn by women, this is a wonderful fall/winter fragrance.

Eau Noire by Dior 3.90 out of 5 based on 186 ratings and 26 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dior Eau Noire fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dior Eau Noire, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau Noire by Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau Noire by Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.