Designers » D E » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Eau Sauvage Dior for men

Eau Sauvage Dior for men Videos Eau Sauvage Dior for men Videos
Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures Eau Sauvage Dior for men Pictures

This is a fresh perfume which can be easily recognized among other fresh fragrances. Clear and fresh scent of lemon and bitter-fresh rosemary are combined perfectly with masculine, woody nuances of a base.

The perfume was introduced in 1966 and created in cooperation with perfumer Edmond Roudnitska. The creator made the perfume legendary and characteristic for its fresh, citrusy notes, composed with spicy lavender on a masculine, woody base.

The fragrance incorporates the following accords: lemon, basil, bergamot, cumin, lavender and fruit. A heart blooms with jasmine, rose, carnation, iris root, coriander, patchouli and sandalwood. Base notes bring us oak moss, vetiver, musk and amber.The flacon was designed by Pierre Dinand.

This edition was refreshed with a new advertising campaign featuring world famous Alain Delon in 2009.

Rosemary Caraway Fruity Notes Basil Bergamot Lemon

Eau du Sud

Eau Sauvage Fragrance Reviews

S.Banks
S.Banks

A clean, fresh out the shower smell, this is one fragrance in which the marketing hits the nail on the head. Lemon, bergamot, fruity notes and light musk are what you'll get from this. While the note breakdown mayseem like the goat to summer fragrances, I feel like somethings missing. Something that is keeping this frag from being considered a Spectacular juice instead its just okay to me. Even still though for Hot days, this is nice fresh smell, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Grade: B

silentman26
silentman26

A classic ... signature perfume ... a ballanced mix of lemon and vetiver ... gives you a fresh feeling ... and it is a great evening wear

Domenica23
Domenica23

my ultrafirst perfume! I am a woman, but vetiver and lemon convinced me that it was good for a girl too. My mom gave it to me when 15 years old and actually it is like CK One today only it was softer, not so aggressive like CK One. Eau Sauvage is great for a women also, it is not masculine at all, very very fresh, the vetiver does it. In the morning it gives u a kick.

jaybear
jaybear

My father likes fresh citrus scents so I decided to gift him a bottle of Eau Sauvage on his birthday a few months back. Only now did I manage to properly test it on myself. This is good stuff. I like the combination of fruity and zesty citrus notes with herbs and spices like basil and caraway. And it is not just a light citrus: There's a real and solid base with wood and other earthier ingredients down there, as well. The current formulation is not a least bit savage, although I have no idea if any of the other versions ever have been. However, if you savour the French word "sauvage" in your mouth you'll notice that the way the word is pronounced describes this fragrance just about perfectly: Something zingy, something soft and voiced, something sophisticated and a bit mysterious. Suave complexity.

badkarma
badkarma

I bought this to replace my bottle of Armani pour homme which I love.. This is a Beautiful citrus scent, I can imagine this being the Acqua Di Gio of the 60's, simple, fresh and classic.. A must try for anyone who loves Armani pour homme.. Perfect office scent..

kingderella
kingderella

Citrus-y, fresh, elegant, pleasant. Not very "sauvage", but ok. Has a bit of warmth. I like-not-love it. Not a fan of the bottle.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

Eau Sauvage (vintage vs current)
Vintage Eau Sauvage opens up with the same citrus accord but dark facet soon emerges with clove-like note. I don't get any indolic jasmine, which I was expecting. It has very little resemblance to the current Eau Sauvage, which smells like classical citrus colognes (think 4711/Imperiale Cologne by Guerlain). IMO, both should be appreciated in its own right.

aqua76239
aqua76239

for some reason I expected citrusy fresh type of scent, especially after I heard about many women wearing this scent. What a surprise-yes it has citrus in the initial notes but after it wears off, I find it to be rather spicy, and yes, floral, which has woodsy dry down. I had my husband smell it and he thought it was women's perfume. I can see guy wearing it but I think its perfectly appropriate on females

celoemi
celoemi

This fragrance is too. Yesterday I tasted (oh, I dunno ... seems old! Said in my ignorance). Today, I went again. It's like this perfume already in my DNA forever.
It was love at second sight.
9,5 / 10

Sandra221
Sandra221

The quintessential male scent. Have adored it from the moment I first smelled the wonderfully fresh, lemony fragrance. I used to wear it, I loved it so much. If I smell it on a man it always turns my head. In my opinion nothing has bettered it. There are many other different colognes but this is the archetypical European fragrance for men, sophisticated and assured. It was the first fragrance I bought for my then 18 year old son, and at 25 it is still his favourite and the one that attracts the most comments from women. A true classic that has lasted the test of time, with wonderful packaging too

kellz1843
kellz1843

Fresh and classic sexiness I feel is what this fragrance exudes. Just like a crisp dry cleaned shirt, silver cuff links, well tailored suit and polished dress shoes will always remain classy and attractive, this fragrance will always exude timeless elegance.

p.s. I'm glad it is not full of oakmoss. To my nose, many of those vintage frangrances smell dusty. No disrespect to those who love vintage. I'll put it like this, I'm a rookie in this fragrance game and there is a lot i dont yet appreciate so I'll leave the oakmoss to the veterans. Mine is perfect.

deruitem
deruitem

Just sampled this yesterday. At first I hated it but I watned to give it a chance after seeing reviews. After 10 minutes I liked it a lot. Shame that after 2 hours it was gone. Longevity makes it not worth buying for me

pronose

but the re formulated eau sauvage has nothing to do with the original eau sauvage!!!!! such a pitty because now we buy a clone of that great scent!

eliweisz
eliweisz

One of my all-time favorites. I know about numerous reformulations and poor longevity - but cannot find a substitute. Armani, Chanel Pour Monsieur, two ES flankers and half a dozen other frags could not fill the magnificent niche created by Roudnitska almost half a century ago.
So, yesterday I bought it again - for my own pleasure. Don't want to impress the others. Most important is the familiar, unique scent of lemon, spice, herbs, wood and musk, mixed perfectly and bringing me a lot of joy.
There is only one Eau Sauvage, and it's here to stay. Forever!

Dcarlo
Dcarlo

I dont know if either it was reformulated or my skin chanfed.
Eau Sauvage was horrible on my skin 20 years ago.
However I stared wearing this wonderfully classic masterpiece 5 years ago and I cant get tired of it.
I smell glorious and sexy lemon zest, lime and lemongrass the first minutes.
Later on it evolves into a fresh yet elegant citrus-vetiver-rose fragrance that you cant stop loving.
Eau Sauvage is a legend, I would say that if Chanel N5 is the quintesential female perfume, Eau Sauvage is the male equivalent.

cytherian
cytherian

I bought it blind new in box (sealed), because I wanted the vintage juice and I've seen periodic mention of how the original is better. IT IS NOT.

First, the plastic sprayer is absolute junk. At least my sprayer head would not work. The hole appears to be plugged, like some manufacturing defect. Pressing on it created pressure, which then cracked the sprayer inside. The fluid trickled out and filled up the spray collar, then spilled out all over my hands. Nice. Oh and the cap is absolute junk as well (hardly stays on the bottle). Again, this came from a sealed box in as-new condition, so it appears quite genuine.

A friend of mine gave me a sample of the Eau Sauvage Extreme Concentree. This is nicer, IMHO... because it stays around for a while at least. Vintage Eau Sauvage VANISHES in mere moments. I "dumped" about a full 1ml over my hand. Very nice citrus/lemon fragrance I might add. Half an hour later, I could barely smell it.

I also got a decant of vintage YSL Pour Homme and I find it very similar to Eau Sauvage. YSL PH is a little heavier and seems to have a little better staying power.

See that brown marbled looking box that lets you know it is vintage? Don't bother. Maurer+Wirtz 4711 lasts longer, and that's not saying much.

Fragrance 7.8/10, Longevity: 2/10. Value 5/10.

burgundyaltima
burgundyaltima

WOW..totally misjudged this one..tried this soo many times but gave up because of that harsh opening but after 3 mins this stuff is gorgeous. .kind of remind me of dior homme sport or dry down to chanel platinum egosite...very clean and inoffensive.. love this stuff

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I finally got around to putting my nose on Eau Sauvage and was looking forward to adding it to my collection as my 12th Dior fragrance for the summer. Sadly, I found the scent to be dated and reminiscent of something an old-man would wear. I even tried it a 2nd and 3rd time over the course of a week and my option did not waiver.

While I appreciate this fragrance (it truly is a Classic), we didn't get along well together. Sad but true! I hope others have better luck because it really is a classic.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

I have long since blown my shot at being a lady, but I do try to be a gentleman, and wearing Eau Sauvage should put me well on my way. Citrus, fresh rosemary, a smell like lavendar and a vetiver dry-down...tweed skirt, pearl earrings, leather boots, and a black t-shirt, just to keep it all in perspective. Marvelous.

RachelGrigg
RachelGrigg

What the hell happened here? I used to own Eau Sauvage years ago. I just spritzed liberally in Boots and got a strange ashy smell. Some remains of the original detectable but the whole thing gone in 15 mins! I don't think I'll bother. Roudnitska would turn in his grave. I'll stick to Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud if I'm craving eau Sauvage thanks.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The new formulation is a pungent, green, spicy and elegant version – in the cleanest, most unoffensive and most polite sense ever – of the original Eau Sauvage, which had a superb, lifelike animalic-chypre accord that gave it an unmistakable dusty, rugged, spicy and smoky dark vetiver base. I guess purchasing that new version feels like switching to a jail-like diet. To me, only the vintage version exists.

Amparo Noir
Amparo Noir

Oh eau sauvage...
to my nose, its sour lemon, lime, and herbal accord (quite mellow and not that sharp, acidic citrus) is a classic, a true gentleman fragrance.

1welshdevil

I still love it, but I agree that it's not what it used to be, still fresh, but now I'd sooner opt for chanel pour Monsieur or maybe even Guerlain Homme. The vintage was a thing of beauty.

anna.dkr5

If this were longer lasting, it would be a runner-up for my next signature. I mean, I truly don't get what it is about it that makes it so short-lived. This is an EDT. Acqua di Parma Colonia is an EDC, yet it lasts much longer than Eau Sauvage. Something is not quite right here...

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ This is written from a newly discovered fresh perspective with no bias toward the legendary original formulation. Having Chanel Pour Monsieur as my vintage gentleman for so long I felt almost as if I had betrayed him by ordering Eau Sauvage but it was destiny to have this one as it was repeatedly recommended so often. This charismatic fellow opened brightly on my skin as I left for my daughters dance class the other evening. The obvious Lemon note turned both of our noses as we drove the five miles to our destiny. Fresh, clean and classy was what ES was projecting as we arrived fifteen minutes later at the studio. Then she said it as she always remarks "Daddy is that your new one? I like it....a lot!" As I sat crowded in the parents "Dance Mom's" waiting room with only the Dior and ladies gossip to entertain myself I detected the subtle wafts of herbs and faint florals dancing in the background all coming together in just the perfect amount of sillage for a crowded space. Already known light heartedly as the cologne Dad through the pirouettes and tap shoes the noses slowly started to detect my classy new companion....until eventually it came! My second compliment from a lovely lady within an hour....OK maybe the second wasn't quite so lovely but still her remark of "that one smells good Mr. B***!" was reassuring. All in all I am very pleased with my new purchase other than the obvious being by the time I got home eau sauvage was barely detectable on my skin! So the reviews were true longevity was definitely poor for me but the scent was very pleasant and classy....and perfect for this "cologne Dad"
Kind Regards, Plat~

Score ~ two compliments in one hour gets at least 9/10 for scent anytime! But longevity sorry, 6/10...but then that's what they make pocket size atomizers for ~

anna.dkr5

I might start carrying around a decant of this. It's THAT weak.

pronose

compared to what it used to be it's a joke!!!!! shame on dior!!!!! they can't fool us anymore! enough is enough eau sauvage is dead killed by francois demachy.

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

the reformulation is an offense to its creator,
bring back Eau Sauvage that we love, please...
and let Roudnitska rest in peace

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

4.5 from 5 - 96 P out of 100 - lemon floral – "Quality is everything which is sustainable". Long year presence on the market is the result of long-term quality. Millions of users cannot be wrong. Maybe the most male elegant citrus, a perfect synthesis of freshness and floral noblesse. Its silent citrus aura works more appropriate for winter than for summer. All trials to make it lasting longer, such as the "Extreme" type, did not succeed well. God forbids that they reformulate the original.

toto453
toto453

It has been reformulated. Former one seemed to be incredible but this one is purely a joke...

PAMELAIASTRUBNI
PAMELAIASTRUBNI

a signature smell.for men or woman
class all the way, just like a good old classic song.
if you're looking for a clean light "masculine" this is the one,no matter the age.
just like the Chanel "no.5", "eau sauvage" is here to stay.

soft and crisp,and has very good staying power.

sf2explus

this scent is perfect 6-8 hours every single time the opening is one of the best lemon opening in perfumery. for me this is niche quality sold at a designer price.
not that every niche fragrance is high quality but a lot of them are. people are saying this smells dated, i will say anyone over 21 try this on a nice hot summer day straight after a shower wearing a clean clothes and than spray this on and see if it smells old. for me it's pure class.

saltydog
saltydog

Didn't really get the full effect of Eau Sauvage. I was pretty intimidated when I sprayed the first time testing it, scent took me by surprise and smelt slightly of lemon and pencil shavings. I washed my hands off. so I didn't get to smell the dry down as I should have.

guachipiruli
guachipiruli

This is one of the best fragrances for men if not THE best. It smells like clean, easy going, nonchalant, handsome, gentleman… obviously they had to take Alain Delon for the commercials… it is like a man smelling and looking heavenly without trying at all.

I just love this on a man. (love it, and I am not 60 ;-) ).

dubairob
dubairob

Eau Sauvage by Dior is so much part of the heritage of male perfumery that it is best to have appreciated something of a broad sense of the developments of perfume artistry which led up to and arose from this point in 1966 before giving a well-meaning opinion.

To me, Eau Sauvage should never be underestimated. Signed off by one of the industry's legendary noses, Edmond Roudnitska, nearly fifty years after its release it is still a top-seller in France and certainly one of the classic warm weather scents in Europe. For decades now, this is a fragrance that one can smell on the lawns of Glyndebourne and Bayreuth, the streets of Salzburg and Geneva, and the casinos and clubs of Monte Carlo and Cannes. Essentially, this is the male fragrance of European social culture in the summer.

While this should be evident to anyone who has travelled a little and perceived more, I would like to take up the notion that this is somehow a dated or "old man" fragrance. Of course this is a question of perception, but the aromatic depths of this fragrance which follow the glorious citrus opening, do seem to cause an increasing number of young people some trouble. I have also heard even well-respected bloggers, vloggers and internet reviewers take up the notion that time has moved past Eau Savuage.

To me the issue is a classic case - and one that I have taken up elsewhere - of it not being that the fragrance has now become redundant, but rather that the setting for using this particular fragrance may have moved on in recent years. To me Eau Sauvage is no longer a fragrance I use in the daytime. I found after some time that it was a warm weather fragrance,yes, but also a little too formal - and fleeting - for regular daytime wear. It is no exaggeration to also say that if you wanted to wear this during the daytime for an entire season - Spring or Summer - you should be prepared to go through a 100 ml bottle (at least). Instead, I have simply decided to wear Eau Sauvage in Summer evenings for more formal settings, bringing an atomizer to refresh with me. At these times, the more formal elegance of this fragrance creates just the perfect impression that you would not get with any of the standard fresh, citrus and aquatic fragrances of recent years.It can stand head and shoulders above what the boys are wearing at such events.

And what about daytime wear? Well, I instead now use an array of other fragrances that have always appealed to me in Spring and Summer - Cacharel Pour L'Homme, Gianfranco Ferre For Man, Le 3e Homme de Caron and Roger et Gallet L'Homme. These are all very beautiful daytime fragrances for these times of year and very nice to keep in rotation.

In short, Eau Sauvage is still a highly recommended fragrance to try. Be aware that its longevity is weak-moderate and you will need to carry an atomiser if you want to enjoy it for any significant duration in its current formulation. An integral part of my recommendation is that you consider this predominantly as a warm evening fragrance in a formal setting. It is perfect for such times....

Jassar
Jassar

Smells like a bowl of lemons sitting on a table in a nursing home.

ancaan
ancaan

Oh how i miss this fragrance! About 3 years ago, i've received a gift set with Eau Sauvage and Miss Dior Cherie Eau de Parfum. I know, i know, it's a men's cologne but i wore the heck out of this perfume. I ended up giving half of FB to my brother who also loved it. Several years later, nostalgia kicks in: why did i ever let this go? It's such a refreshing, cooling and beautiful scent! It's magical in hot summer days.

pronose

the nose of dior knows only how to destroy old great scents!!!! why he needed to change the original formula by this yucky formula???? he just keep the name without the juice! and he destroyed the original once again scent!
used to be a great scent and now it sucks!thanks to the very bad nose of mr demaschy! why the so called dior nose need to change great past scents?????
compared to what it used to be this is a bad joke! Dior killed eau sauvage go and ask why??????

Gokhanburak53
Gokhanburak53

I sniff Eau Sauvage today and it smells exactly like my grandpa's old lemon cologne. That lemon cologne in the bottle for 10 years maybe and no one used it and that cologne exposed to sunlight so many times over years and transformed into something smelling weird which is the same smell with Eau Sauvage, i love it, it reminds me old and reckless days, pure bliss :)

Iris_it
Iris_it

I am rarely drown by citruses but I love Eau Sauvage ! It is going to be one of my favourites during Spring and Summer . I find it longlasting : I cannot date it unfortunately as the batch code has faded away but the bottle looks like in the pic above so , it is not the very first version .

anna.dkr5

Dior, please... we love this fragrance... give it better longevity!

KlownvonnomaD
KlownvonnomaD

Huge burst of citrus to begin with, but like most have said.
Fades to nothing before to long.

majecatracho
majecatracho

i like it but it doesnt last on me, therefore i wont spend that much for it.

anna.dkr5

I don't know what it is about me and this juice, but I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours' longevity out of it.

drakecito
drakecito

To me this a strange case.
I don't like the Dior's fragances and hate their policy about the reformulations.
Eau Sauvage is the unique scent from this house that I like it and although it has been reformulated several times, I still like it a lot (although the current is much worse than the original.)

Too classy with sparkling citrus and herbal notes.
I do not quite well understand why, just know that I really like.

Moderate-low longevity and sillage.

scent (old formula) : 9/10
scent (new formula): 5/10

longevity: 5/10
sillage: 4/10

MrStinky
MrStinky

I first bought a bottle 25 yrs ago & I loved it then. Maybe like anything else, I wore it so often I took it for granted & was lured away by newer fad fragrances. Constantly looking for the perfect one. I pulled out my bottle of Eau Sauvage the other day and realized what a masterpiece this really is.

Its classy without being too formal. A great all around fragrance.

It's in my top three favorites.

mamo
mamo

This scent brings back so many memories; bittersweet.
I still really LOVE this scent, add a broken heart.

omesh17
omesh17

I think when you first spray it, its smells very cirtusy, almost like a blast of lime/lemon. I don't know if I can get past that part, dry down is okay. I would test it out before you buy. I perfer Chanel Allure Edition Blanche over this.

babayaga
babayaga

Ladies... you know how when your best guy friend forgets his scarf at your house, and it smells so amazingly delicious that you can't take your face out of it and you're really sad when you finally have to return it? This is that smell, citrusy edition. Also a bit sweet and herby, and very "expensive" smelling. Lingers on your clothing in a way my favorite women's scents refuse to do. Loooove. Reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite scents, Chanel Pour Monsieur, but a bit more bright and energetic. Slightly loud for me for everyday, I like skin scents. But once in a while, it's exactly what I need...

hdn
hdn

I had this one back in the early 80-ies to recover from too much "YSL Kouros" and it really worked as a cure. I had it for some years for all occasions I wanted to wear a definitely decent scent and went to wearing "Jil Sander Man Pure" as a more expressive fragrance then, which nowadays has been reissued as "Jil Sander Scent 79". Of cause I couldn't resist to buying it again after so many years and I really still like it although I normally don't wear woody notes any more. So I now find myself wondering, if I should also buy "Dior's Eau Sauvage" once more. I think I'll do because I just figured out that I wore this well before I met my wife, so she never smelled that on me, something I find amazing given the long time we're together now.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

This one is really nice. Too bad its gone from my skin so soon. Citrus with a faint background of some oakmoss. Im not a fan of oakmoss but this one does it just right.

Daao
Daao

It's my absolute favorite for men. It's strong, clean and energetic, yet it's more subtle than the citrus would let you think at first.
I like it much, much more on men than the very sweet musky perfumes wich seem to be in favor at the moment (typically "Le Mâle" de Jean-Paul Gaultier).
I find it difficult to have a constructive review of this perfume because it works like an instant aphrodisiac on me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

murasaki
murasaki

one of the best fragrances ever. Sparkling and surprising. An ever green. An very chic.

Brain-in-a-vat
Brain-in-a-vat

This is the quintessential cologne-style aroma. But it's just that bit better than all the colognes such as 4711 or Roget & Gallet, et al..(which are already marvellous)

The after shave balm is delicious, comes in the iconic glass bottle.

I've been a GPH man but now that's gone - I think it's time to "return to freshness".

My plan when I return from the jungle is to get ES soap, ES gel to use as shampoo, ES shaving foam, ES underarm, ES aftershave splash and the EDT....and use it only on Mondays to make there something worthwhile looking forward to on that monstrous day!

20 out of 10, haha. Heaven is green.

fiouu
fiouu

I'm not sure If this should go here, I bought the larger size from my dad (yeah, he had two, one large and another even bigger of aftershave which he preffers over this), consider that I'm a girl in my early twenties, I don't find this very masculine at all... It could be easily worn as a unisex cologne. I'm rather fond of this because it's fresh and invigorating, it's very clean, slightly powdery, still very beautiful.
I like to wear this iin late summer and sometimes when it's hot at night it certainly helps me relax.
Then again, it just depends on what state of mind you are, you can wear this as a pick me up in the morning or to help you sleep or relax comfortably.
As it is virtually ambiguous for sex (in my opinion) It has so many uses... I'm just glad we can share this frag with my dad. And let me just add that it smells completely different on each (when we both wear this one, not the Aftershave/Cologne)
Also, the bottle is just so gorgeous, it's like a flask... oh, and the ones we have are with the threaded cap and a plastic stopper/cork inside... talk about vintage stuff, personally I dab this on with a cotton ball, my dad uses his hands.

bet85
bet85

The new Eau Sauvage has a magnetic cap just like the parfum. Longevity issues?? This lasts past 8 hours, and i can still get traces of it the next day. It has no aldehydes or aquatic notes. I get a beautiful blast of citrus that turns aromatic with hits of lavender, rosemary and basil. Citrus is all the way even in the earthy base of woods, vetiver, hints of oakmoss, and even a hit of leather. I never smelled the vintage eau sauvage, my guess is that they took away the animalic note that made it dated before. Dont get me wrong, the new eau sauvage does not smell anything like your typical young citrus or sporty fragrance. It still has a classical essence to it. I love it. My girlfriend already commented on how good i smelled, 6 hours after application. My hunt now is for Eau Sauvage Extreme. I do hate however how Dior does not sell Extreme in their boutiques or website here in the U.S, nor do they even sell Eau Sauvage 200ml bottle. We have to rely on ebay or other fragrance sites. Im looking for fresh stock bottles with magnetic caps now.

akio
akio

Citrus and some deep woody notes, eau sauvage is my replacement of Hermes (new) eau d'orange verte. It lasts longer and still "citrus" fresh.

orestes

After oak moss removing the fragrance are much more better,more younger.I prefer this reformulation

ed
ed

Nice citrus/rosemary combo for a warm day.

Amor und Psyche
Amor und Psyche

Eau Sauvage is simply the must for hot summer days. One spray on your neck instantly brings a breeze of pure freshness that makes you forget about the heat.

anna.dkr5

Very light, and a little bit smoky, which reminds me a little of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes. Inoffensive, and intriguing. I've had it on for half an hour. Hoping it lasts as long as possible. LOL!

UPDATE: Okay, here's the deal. My skeptic self refused to believe that this fragrance was as short-lived as many people claimed. I was wrong! This fragrance lasts like an EDC. It sticks to clothes for a few hours, but remains so light, one can hardly smell it. What's the deal with recent reformulations? I say, stick to longevity monsters. If you don't overapply, you'll be able to smell your fragrance of choice all day without offending anyone. Don't waste money on this.

Just to complete the recent U turns I've been making with regard to fragrances I either didn't like or was on the fence about.
This was probably the latter as its very classic male scent with citrus & herbs in perfect measure but failed to inspire me. However having worn it and experienced the dry down I have to say I'm totally converted.
It's another classic case of Dior making fragrances that have depth enough to challenge and conflict your senses.
This isn't my favourite by any means and I'm not going to rush to add it to my collection but as my tastes change I might well do that?
The point is...I get what the fuss is about now.

spartan
spartan

If you think this smells like Lemon Pledge or Furniture Polish, Then I recommend waiting for the dry down which comes Later as the fragrance develops. Eau Sauvage has one of the best dry downs of any Scent, absolutely amazing, Top Shelf Juice. Then again Top Shelf isn't for everyone.

Perfection

fhr
fhr

Ok, so i made a reverse movement to be honest as purchased the 2012 released Edp prior this Edt. And really, guys you can say anything but they do having same roots. So no criticism i would support against the newly developed Edp as that shares key notes during drydown with this original. And guys, having tested the pre-reformulation Edt against the recent one i must report that this one is more nice contemporary and fancy -in the really positive interpretation of the mentioned words - than the pre reformulated daddy. Also longevity is at least comparative to other cytrus based ones now -if that was a real cryticism against he old formula (at least against Chanel Pour Monsieur, not taken into account the Edt which is a real real powerhouse and not having the citrus as a key stressed element of its composition). So as a collector and having both Dior Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur today i am bit blown away by this nice Dior. Now i understand the constans kinda-hype around EdS already....
So guys be not affraid to purcase this, its really modern now, its really worths the 5/5 points what Luca gave to it. Use this, that will make you feel good!(and of course great thums up for thi s and the Edp also and Chanel PM) if you can afford take those three and will have very nice time collecting p,enty of compliments.

androsperfume

I think the difference in new reformulation is based on the middle and drydown notes. In the older version were hedione and vetiver. Now, the hedione is complemented with lavender of vaucluse and chypre, which is used nowadays very frequently at Dior's house. But what the heck!! ES still works: the essence of being there without making yourself noticeable.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

The Reformulation is a mess. Gone in completely within the hour. First 15 minutes decent then falls apart like a house of cards.

Avoid.

Instead purchase Invasion Barbare.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I'm trying to review these side-by-side, unfortunately on a fairly cold day...

The "latest" old version (light brown cap, darker juice) is sharper and more bitter, featuring a harsher, almost aged lime which is adulterated with some kitchen herbs. The new version (silver cap, lighter juice) is lighter and crisper even in the top, and features a paler, admittedly somewhat "wussy" lime that somehow retains more sparkle, and is decidedly cleaner. The brown cap version changes into a darker piney green which I find musty and unfriendly, but the silver cap version changes into something very modern and transparent. It's a creamy citrus and wood scent that I really like, and ironically remains noticeable longer to me than the nominally heavier brown cap version. A slight but happy sweetness emerges in the base, whereas the brown cap just becomes more rancid and spiteful.

Ultimately, I feel like the brown cap version smells dated, whereas the silver cap is contemporary and approachable, and reminds me of the drydown of the latest version of Guerlain Vetiver (which is both stronger and less expensive). Both are weak enough not to be worth the unusually high prices that this stuff seems to fetch for a designer scent. In the end, the light reedy wood drydown of the silver cap version wins for me, but I'm not sure whether Eau Sauvage in general deserves a victory.

nero77
nero77

Elegance in Simplicity...

This is an example of something very basic and simple done to perfection. The concept of the classic, citrus "eau de cologne" has been taken here and has been refined, simplified and elevated to a timeless status.

Basically it is a lemony citrus type cologne, but done in a way which sets it apart from many others. Released in 1966 from Dior, it quickly achieved legendary status in France (thanks in part to use of Alain Delon, the iconic heartthrob of 60's French Cinema).

The perfume itself opens with a very simple lemon-citrus blast which stays mostly linear throughout the fragrance. It is coupled with soft lavender and a lingering indolic jasmine accord (hedione) in the dry-down.

This may sound simple, but it works in a way which makes you feel fresh, clean, sexy and also daringly adventurous at the same time. Perfect after a swim or a shower on a hot summer day, but also perfect with a crisp white shirt and business suit.

It is all of these things at once, and still has a place even today. Daring, crisp, elegant and refined, but also pleasingly inoffensive.

Timeless!

mery09
mery09

I bought this for my boyfriend,smells so good .My mother who doesn't stand for masculine fragrances says that this one smell extraordinary.Citrus and aromatic.This perfume will not offend anybody.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

No, ........ and I have chronic sinusitis, which from time to time changes my sense of smell, and usually involves citrus and pine smells. somteimes the whole world stinks, and sometimes I can't smell at all. But mothballs in ES, never. Perhaps one gets a scent mixed with another smell, so the change?

Go4broke

Does anyone else get a kind of mothball smell in the background?

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

A classic that I have great affection for, since a good friend of mine wears it. He's the epitome of a cultured gentleman, and an all round diamond! This smells masculine and fresh with citrus opening, but with an elegant, subtle and well balanced dry-down. No trace of 'aqua' notes thankully, or synthetic apple or any of the other aftershave horrors. Perfect for day-time

Sonic69
Sonic69

Got a sample because it was quite highly regarded. Too bad for me it smells too light, scent is gone within an hour and zero sillage.
Still looking for a Dior scent that I want to buy.

The bottle I own apparently was produced in May, 2011. Anyway, I really like it, and I think the reason is that I think of it as the exact correct use of hedione (in more than tiny amounts), so that it's almost like hedione is the smell of some sort of extract you've never encountered previously. What's interesting is that lately I've had a difficult time with dihydromyrcenol, detecting it in scents I never imagined it was in during earlier wearings. In Eau Sauvage, it seems like the other notes work together to prevent the hedione from becoming dominant. Another thing is that while citrus is present, it doesn't have that sharp/harsh quality that has led me to avoid most scents with strong citrus top notes. However, neither does it possess any kind of heavy quality; the slightly animalic jasmine keeps it grounded though, so it doesn't seem too light. How scents like Cool Water became popular while this was available is puzzling, so I'm guessing it was either due to novelty or a sense that Eau Sauvage was "old" at that time. To me this is a good example of the possibility that it is better to feature synthetic molecules as such rather than to try and use them to imitate natural ones.

pronose

the new eau sauvage doesn't last anymore and the scent it's so changed that i can't wear it anymore!why dior killed that great scent?????

Vincentium
Vincentium

They say the olfactive memory is the strongest.

As a kid I had a strong affinity for Eau Sauvage, a scent with a sharp opening, aggressively drying-down to a mature stance and impeccable finish, altogether in a very odd'n'old colognic gesture. I always wondered why I feel so drawn to it, and I was, especially as a child. Over the years this olfactive tension grew to become a most sinuous story for my senses, somehow it bewilders me that something this simple, this basic, can manifest as a well balanced and complex orchestra... Last night I remembered it, was all of a sudden back into my soul, it came to conquer me back, I never knew how to dominate it, never knew how to take it or how to understand it, I just knew how to be a slave for it; so I tried to analyse its anatomy to break down the parts and build up a clear and stable definition, to put a face on it. I couldn't and now I see that I should not.
It's a wild horse that I've been desperately tried to tame.......I'm positive that I'll fail every time I'll try to do so...perhaps in this torment lies its beauty. Perhaps this love'n'hate game is its true nature.

Only Roudnitska would be capable of creating such creature.

yacoco
yacoco

What's smells like ? barber shop anyway I love it calssic 90s style

stevenpaolitto
stevenpaolitto

My grandpa got this when he passed away. It's really interesting, very green with some sweetness that makes it distinguishable. Some people say this shares its balls with Pour Monsieur, well I have the vintage of this and the new Pour Monsieur and I can say they barely smell at all alike.

Go4broke

Love this. Sooo fresh. Sharp lemon initially and then rosemary, then the woody notes to finish. Initially smells a bit like bleu de Chanel to me but quickly changes. Very well made. A grown up one from Dior. Longevity for me is weak at 3-4 hours. 7.5/10.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Very citrusy, fresh, and aromatic. Smells like Maria Farina or the Acqua Di Parma family. A nice scent for summer. Too many things in the market that smell like this though. A classic although. Try it.

Young men really need to start delving into the classics. Dior Eau Sauvage is a fantastic fragrance, deserving of its legendary status.

Eau Sauvage is a pleasing herbal citrus scent. It opens with a crisp and invigorating blend of lemon and bergamot, soon followed by a unique array of spices; caraway, rosemary, lavender and coriander. To my female nose, it's quite a soothing, realistic and inoffensive fragrance. On a man's skin it is refreshing but also intriguing.

The drydown still has that slight spicy edge, however I can detect a dry vetiver note and an earthy blend of orris root, patchouli and oakmoss.

Despite the fact that it's quite a popular scent, I don't smell Eau Sauvage on many men. Instead I smell those cheap drugstore colognes, over-applied and in many instances, unsuitable for the current season. Dior Eau Sauvage would make an excellent investment, especially seeing that its versatile enough to be worn any season.

Listen up girls, you should get your men a bottle of this. I know for sure that when Summer rolls around and my boyfriend starts asking me for recommendations, I'm going to lead him over to the Dior counter and get him to test Eau Sauvage.

orestes

I have the old and new version,the difference is that it is removed oakmoss and replaced by cooler ingredients, has become cooler, youthful, born again without losing the identity that makes it stand out! is ideal for warm climates such as Greece.But it always remember the old version when the bottle will empty with nostalgie,as i recall the vintage version( I use it from 1978 since my father use the vintage MASTERPIECE scent)DIOR WILL ALWAYS RESPECTING THE FRAGRANCE THAT MADE AN INDUSTRY LEADING PERFUMERS!

pronose

the original eau sauvage was just magic! but since they changed the formula few years ago the whole things has changed! it's not the one it used to be and doesn't last at all!!!!!!! dior fool us again! rubbish policy by dior .

NobleRoman
NobleRoman

A true classic. A wonderful fresh citrus blast. This juice is clean. I just wish it would last longer. My main choice for summer. Thumbs up. Way up.

mvhooper2
mvhooper2

I remember smelling this when I was a little kid. Probably the first fragrance i ever fell in love with. Id love to try it again but the 60-80 price tag i a bit steep for me at the moment. This will DEF be my job interview scent when i can afford it, and a signature when i get into management lol. My favorite bottle design along with eternity and polo original .

acronia_1989
acronia_1989

Quotation from previous comment :

"And Zizou [Zinedine Zidane] will never be bettered in Eau Savage's promotion in my entirely biased eyes. Alain Delon is aesthetically pleasing but Zizou is unique"

+ + +

pickletastic
pickletastic

Perfectly suitable for the female of the species who isn't taken by the prospect of smelling like a fruit salad, confectioner's or hair salon. Fresh and invigorating then gradually softened in dry-down.

And Zizou [Zinedine Zidane] will never be bettered in Eau Savage's promotion in my entirely biased eyes. Alain Delon is aesthetically pleasing but Zizou is unique. Unassuming, humble, shy - but possessed of genius. There's probably a fragrance that encapsulates Zizou better than Eau Savage with its initial lemony blast, but for understated class and depth it's a good parallel.

sf2explus

ok i just tried the reformulated bottle which i have brought to replace the older bottle which i got last summer which has a standard click on cap. newer bottle i got recently has a magnetic top. ok so how does the new formulation compare to the older one( not vintage), well for a start there is alot less oakmoss, there is def more jasmin it still smells like eau sauvage but has been changed a little it smells slightly more fresher now, but not by much. i would say it is a very good reformulation as it still smell expensive so they have not compromised on the quality of ingredient which is good. i have my older bottle and have compared them side by side. one thing i hate about the new bottle is that the new sprayer doesn't spray on as nicely as the older bottle which gave a very nice mist. the newer bottle sprayer, sprays a little like a chanel sprayer??????/

Scampbe11
Scampbe11

Okay - I just bought this from a drug store and as soon as I smelled, it, it reminded me of my one year at a swiss boarding school when I was 14. Not sure why people dis the recent version because my nose knew right away, it was 1982 all over again. pretty good scent - great memories. But then I like the smell of sun screen....

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

The day before I tried this I wore Eau Sauvage Parfum, a far more recent flanker which has a nice, warm myrrh base note.

Today I wore the 1966 original which, yes, has a citrus note, but it also has the warm, balmy smell. They smell more alike than different. Both are wonderful, well modulated and elegant.

I think I prefer the parfum flanker, but I'd take either one!

--------

Second wearing: I must have gotten a tired tester before. This has a fantastic lemony punch. I was surprised at how complete the olfactory representation is - this is LEMON. Really, really good. An undisputed classic since 1966 - now I truly see why.

pronose

the new eau sauvage doesn't last anymore and the whole formula has changed!!!!!!! dommage !

Niven

I forgot to mention this. Of all the fragrances that seem to get tagged as reminding them of a lemon-based cleaning product, this is the one citrusy fragrance that does it to me. I think of Pine Sol being mopped on wooden floors when I smell this. Haha.

Niven

I call it 'Dior Oh Too Savage' because it is just too savage for me. It might be a classic, but I'm not a big fan. For a citrus fragrance, I'd rather go in a different direction. Not much depth to the fragrance. Very sour citrus opening that makes me quench. I slight basil or rosemary and really nothing else on drydown. Than it dies in an hour on my skin. But for those that have an attachment for this from years past, I hope they don't discontinue it for your behalf. But this is not for me.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

I'm wearing the current formulation and it is very enjoyable.
The opening is a citrus and herb punch to the nose.
There is a clean basil and carrot under the juicy lemon which literally makes my mouth water. The slightly sweet & sweaty element the natural oakmoss gave it in the original has been toned down a bit but whatever they used to replace it (maybe boosting the caraway a bit and adding a synth. moss) helps to bring out the wet florals in the drydown.

It is still a little dirty in the Roudnitska style - so whoever worked on the reformulation did a great job of keeping it true to the original. As in Moushtache - I love the use of caraway in this fragrance. It is enough to compliment the herbs and florals - sort of lifting them up to the nose - without exposing itself. I'm starting to really appreciate Roudnistka's use of this material in the same way Jean Carles used celery oil. A little is just enough to bring out the beauty of the other elements.

For those of you worried about the current formulation being very different from the original - don't worry about it. It is still very close to the original although a bit less earthy and slightly more floral due to the lighter oakmoss note. It also has a peanut-shell-wood note - sort of hidden but noticeable once you catch it - which the earlier formulation didn't have. But it's so minor it doesn't change too much.

That said it's still,
Very fresh.
Very clean yet slightly dirty - like a pair of white pants with a grass stain on the knee that won't totally wash away.
Very natural tone - thanks to the vetiver, basil and caraway.
Very bright throughout thanks to mega-citrus burst.
Quite wet - until the final hour or two where it get's some of the typical E.R. salty dry powderyness, but always fresh with citrus.

My Grade System : 1 is horrid, 5 average, 10 perfect

Logevity : 7/10

OVERALL SCORE : 8.3/10

Mercurial Muzz
Mercurial Muzz

What you get with Eau Sauvage is a clean, fresh and classy scent that is deservedly a classic. It has an intoxicating element that embraces you from first application, to the moments when you catch yourself smelling your wrist, or pulling the neck of your shirt out to have another smell of this bottled bliss.
I never have this out of my collection, and it remains a favourite now after many years.
I think ES paved the way for male citrus-based scents, and, it set the standard so high, that others have tried, and come close, but none have succeeded it in terms of cleanliness, and the fluid blend of notes that topple down onto each other like strategically placed dominoes.
Go on fellas, buy Eau Sauvage, and add it to your collection. Every man deserves at least one classic. Take a bow Dior.
For Spring/Summer, and into early Autumn.

Trobador
Trobador

When I first time smelled this frag I said to my neighbor "What is it? Is it Guerlain (Guerlain Homme or Guerlain Homme Intense)?" So, that was my first impression!

I can not find Guerlain Homme in lists above "This perfume reminds me of ..."! People, help me, if you think the same ! ;)

New: Eau Sauvage Extreme Dior more similar to Geurlain Homme/Homme Intense!

pdschrader
pdschrader

One of the best there is for hot, humid summer days.

benpaul12
benpaul12

Classic without any trace of being dated. Represents class and style, fantastic.

hadrian
hadrian

Pure high-class and pure miracle, from the 60's until today (and tomorrow).
In terms of longevity or sillage, it is NOT a powerscent - but, who cares? A timeless piece of art, one of the best ever imaginated by a master-nose, a real gift for those men who fully appreciate each minute of the high-life. Gentle as a smile on the shore of the Mediteranean Sea and unforgettable as a first kiss.
Maybe the best citrus aromatic - and the father of all of them.
In Europe, from France to Greece, from Romania to Portugal, not only the actor Alain Delon was the image of that wonderful scent - but also Corto Maltese, a "bande dessinee" hero (= a graphic novel hero) wellknown by those initiated in such a form of art.
Eau Sauvage is a marvel. As the french ad says, "Mefiez-vous des eaux qui dorment".
Overall, a deserved 9+/10

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

The no1 citrus based scent on a man. Trust me. Many have tried to steal the crown. But this little supercar down-changes and takes off, giving the middle finger as it growls into the distance. Nothing matches it. If you fancy a break from the leather/smokey, and would like a little summer, citrus, lemon.. even in the winter. Very classy, distinguished, clean. Don't be fooled by the 'spin offs' - "dont try and hide you little black EauSav bottle - you know who you are" Stick with this.

ZELJO

when I was around 23 I though, this is the parfum I,ll wear the day I,ll turn 45

now its 20 days to Jan 15 I,ll turn 45 then, I have got loats of different parfums, but still,it will be the one I,ll use on that special day, smells class, masculinity, freshness,pureness and serenity...all you need when becoming a mature man

Castor
Castor

I miss the oakmoss. It is what gave Eau Sauvage and others of its kind (Monsieur de Givenchy, for instance) its dirty character, depriving them of their cologne-like persona.

I know chemists working in the industry are tryng their best, but the last bottle of Eau Sauvage that I bought smelt quite like Agua de Pravia, an inexpensice drugstore scent. Frankly, the price difference does not justify choosing the reformulated version of Roudnitska's classic.

Here comes the reason for Eau Sauvage's recent flankers and admitted reformulations: the Extrême version and the Parfum are modern day renditions paying tribute to the original, however, IMHO, without much success: even though I like them, Eau Sauvage smelt natural, while the modern ones ooze the nose-shocking character of synthetic aromachemicals. I cannot describe the feeling to the nose without resorting to an analogy: did you realize there are colors that are not found in nature? Fucsia, I have been told (and correct me if I am wrong) is one among these. Well, its brightness might be uncomfortable to one's eyes. In the same way, even though sillage and longevity are assured, the original was not quite generous in that sense. And since consumers relate these attribute to good quality perfumes, there you have them. Plus, fifty or fourty years ago men were supposed to smell nice, but the sillage cloud many modern day men appreciate so much was considered unmanly.

Yes, things change. So do perfumes.

Let's remember and pay tribute to Eau Sauvage's decesased understatement.

1welshdevil

Gorgeous, Fresh, Citrussy and Zesty. Second only to Chanel pour Monsieur in that group of fragrances. Very fresh, just wish it was a bit more powerful, The Extreme is, but is not as nice

MysteryBuff
MysteryBuff

The reformulated version of Eau Sauvage -- minus the oakmoss -- is out in late 2012 and it is magnificent! The citrus, more sparkling than ever, combines with seductive jasmine and grassy vetiver to give us a summer day in a bottle. If you wanted to love Eau Sauvage, but could not wear it because of the heavy outdated oakmoss effect, do yourself a favor and try the new version. Eau Sauvage is young again.

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

Pure class.
Although not always preferred.
But still pure class.
Citrus and freshness with utter elegance.
A must have once in a lifetime.
Dior makes high class fragrances for men with low toxicity.

orestes

In 2013 oak moss banned by IFRA! as you can purchase this fragrance! the loss of oak moss maybe kills this fantastic fragrance

celadoster
celadoster

As notas de entrada são bastante cítricas. As notas e meio são frescas com leve toque frutas. A base é bem caracterizada pela mistura do vértiver, âmbar e musk e é o que prevalece depois de 5 minutos.
Não é o tipo de perfume que curto pois gosto de algo mais jovem, sem essa base fechada e amadeirada.
Pra quem curte essa mistura, é uma ótima pedida porque ele tem classe e personalidade se levar em conta preço cobrado.

limited Edition
limited Edition

Perfect for professional work enviroment , you will need to top up every few hours..5/10

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Nice, but age-old, dare I say almost generic citrus with herbs to give that 'nice' clean effect that basically defines a 'perfume'.

Here, it's citrus/lemons but with a heavy dose of the aromatic herbs, such as rosemary. The uber-ubiquitous vetiver/bergamot/sandalwood trio is also at the party, always making perfume-making oh-so easy. Add rose and musk to the venue and voila!

Cannot detect fruits but do get oakmoss and hints of basil. Spices are not represented well at all in this blend for me. My harsh score is really just for the rosemary- you've simply got to be a real connoisseur of this to give it it's 'classic' status. To many it will plainly feel dated.

Fresh top, clean/herbal, rose and then a musky/woody drydown- then a yawn maybe?

Nice, classic even- but time to move on is my say. And many, many French perfumes have thankfully done so.

2/5.

juancar_66
juancar_66

It´s unisex parfum, perfectly in a woman too so like Miss Dior it´s posible in a man.
This twoo fragances are unisex in Dior Maison.

Eau Savage parfum it´s more masculin and Poisson more femenin.... but in Eau Savage and Miss Dior (review version of 1947 original) are unisex and very posibles in men like in women both. As you like it....

stromfish
stromfish

Classic and beautiful Fragrance ! Unisex although leaning on the fresh masculine side.

Slayerized
Slayerized

One of the great all time French classics!
Lots of things going on in this clean citrus scent with very natural smelling ingredients hence being considered a masterpiece.
It opens with very fresh and pure smelling lemon and basil with a fruity herbal touch, lots of flowery stuff going on in the heart, which combo with the herbs give it a little dirty vibe, with a base of vetiver, musk, amber and oakmoss.
To me the flowery heart combined with the fresh herbal opening makes this fragrance so different from other fragrances in this genre with its brilliant dirty vibe. The blend of all these complementing notes and their smell is so perfect that it's called a masterpiece by many! It's refreshing, elegant, very mature, and gives you a very gentlemanly sophisticated feeling! Only for real men I'd say! To be used for 30 and up. To me it's more of a edc than edt as the lasting power is like 2 hrs tops when applied liberally and on clothes! After that the scent lingers on for still a while but so close to the skin that it is hardly detactable anymore for yourself and others. It is worth the first two hours and of course to be extended by reapplication. Mainly to be used in spring and summer. Rated: 8/10

rodolfo
rodolfo

I tested this once on paper and found it too old smelling...not for me.

Freakmotion
Freakmotion

I have to admit I was a little disappointed about the reviews saying it was kind of old and didn't last at all. Well, on my skin this is untrue.

I was able to get a brand new bottle of 100ml for just $10.000 (chilean currency, about $20 bucks). I sprayed this on my wrist and wasn't that impressed, so I decided to give it a try a few days later with a proper wearing.

I'm glad I did, because this doesn't smell dated nor fades away quickly. Sillage is good for 1 hour, then it comes close to the skin, but it doesn't disappear at all (I got 8+). It reminded me of the floral part of Joop! Homme, like a citrus and soapy version of it.

I don't like citruses, but this one is very classy. I wear it with happiness.

Greetings from Chile!

aventus88
aventus88

i like the opening is fresh, citrucy and clean but the dry down is strong .

garett
garett

i love this timeless perfume , it is lemony , orangy fresh , fresh , fresh till infinity.Heard and saw the latest eau sauvage parfum , which is more intense so means another thing in my wish list.

marioslg3
marioslg3

A very nice citrus old type fragrance with a soapy barbershop smell. The citrus is very heavy for the first minutes and then fades away slowly slowly. The scent is very elegant, mature and old fashioned but unfo, does not last beyond 1-2 hours. I prefer, in this type of smell, la collection pour homme by ysl, stronger and lasts much longer. Try it out, very masculine scent with more animalic/herbal touch.
if that had a better longevity, it would be more perfect than any other in its class. But with so short longevity, I'm thinking twice to wear it.
UPDATE:
The perfume lasts some hours but is very close to the skin. The smell is very nice, fresh and saopy. YSL is not that clean and finally, ES is much better, only YSL is stronger.
This is the smell of France indeed! this is the smell of elegance, the smell of class for men....the best citrus smell by far.
i find after some applications, ysl pour homme to be too strong in animalic notes, i detect some civet maybe...eau sauvage makes you feel like you are in Paris and drinking your coffee underneath of the Eifel tower....i use it for all seasons and smells very nice with good longevity and sillage although when i first used it, i had the impression that does not last...it lasts and has the power and sillage just to makes you feel comfortable without being suffocating or the perfume guy.

fishmerised
fishmerised

Hubby and I tried some today and it is delicious - reminds me of 4711 on valium. Wouldn't mind some myself.

shoden
shoden

One of my favorite, fresh crisp with incredible personality, BUT the longevity on my skin is terribly low, 1 hour at best. Sadness all over me.

qwerty82
qwerty82

It's ok but if I am going to choose a citrus scent then Chanel Edition Blanche is the one for me.

androsperfume

I'm closing my eyes and remebering entering as a 7 year old into my grandpa's dressing room. And there it is: a bottle of Eau Sauvage. I took off the top and I discovered that amazing citrus/vetiver juice. Nowadays I buy this scent once in a while. It's fresh, not overwhelming and classy.

Voile
Voile

I hope there are others out there that share my nostalgic devotion to this fragrant icon! It takes me back to college and the last glimmer of disco culture and all things chic and city. The sense of living in a period fragrance that you wanted people to recognise and enjoy. I guess, Eau Sauvage, there will always be a you! xo

Peachply
Peachply

My all time favorite men's fragrance. It smells great on everyone, men and women a like. I hope they do not reformulate!!!

I agree with some other reviewers, if a man passes wearing this I am instantly drawn and intruiged...the best possible result one could get from any fragrance. Truly a pleasure.

ZELJO

I,ll be 45 next January... guess from then on I,ll add this one to my collection, incredibly smart one, so elegant and full of class...when I was a teen thats the smell I associated with bussoinessmen,etc

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

Eau Sauvage by Dior is a masterpiece of citrus. Perfect.

moynah
moynah

Dior have mastered this weird side effect, in Eau sauvage original which personally presents itself, thus - I'm female, when I smell this, I go into autopilot and I remove all my clothing, slowly, peeling each layer off right down to my undergarment french lace... then, I find myself naked surrounded by fallen clothing, totally intoxicated by its scent, wanting, needing more, anticipating the heat of that damned hot male skin, that activated my crazy personal reaction. A sexual frenzied uninhibited result guaranteed.

Who cares whats in it, it just DOES IT... grrr I want MORE!!!

Classy sophisticated elegant smell. A Dior classic
stillsmells modern today nothing about this is dated at all, it just has that classic cologne vibe.
The lemon is very clean with basil and almost has hints of lime as well. a very refreshing opening that never goes away but does lose that initial amzing lemon blast and tones down.
I get a lot of jasmin and hints of vetiver in the dry down. . Amazing bottle design and an excellent sprayer.
Lasting power on me is 6-8 hours although i would say its safe to say six hours is what you would get.
I do prefer this over Dior homme sport.

Scent 8.5/10

SoapyScentGuy
SoapyScentGuy

Great scent. It is light and very citrusy green. I think it lasts all day. I was complimented that my deoderant smells really good which means to me this is a really nice subtle scent. I can't add more to what the other reviews have already stated.

madamesinn
madamesinn

Inspired by the reviews here- (curtis w, narcotic)
I really must get some more, then use my tiny funnel c/o Clarins EauD to decant some into my pocket-sized, 1970's bottle from British Airways...

Like Habit Rouge, this evokes first class travel from back in the day and I shall use it on days when I'm not wearing Eau de Guerlain, to channel my inner Niven.

;D -turpin

danielmventer
danielmventer

Just got it today and my first impressions (fisrt hour on my wrists)is that it is a scent that represents a classical soapy green fresh personality. I will wait for the dry down and then update later. But so far so good.

Ok , so it`s 2 hours later.

Stays the same as the opening, but yes I will recommend it. It has that fresh `sh*t , shave and just out of the shower` vibe. Good stuff!!!!! Basil and Lemon is a nice combination for a classic scent.

Marcel

paulared
paulared

I always say the same thing: if a man passes by smelling like Eau Sauvage... I fall in love instantly. There is something so hypnotizing in this cologne. Seriously, there is something so relaxed, non-chalant, fresh and clean, something so masculine and down to earth about the man who wears this! Perfect, perfect, perfect (the cuir version is nice as well).

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Sprayed this on a sample card to try it out in the store - Sweet Jesus! I can see where people get the citronella candle thing from. Spray this on the card and stick it under your nose, it's a citrus punch in the face. Did people in 1966 really want to go around smelling like cleaning products? I highly doubt this was Dior's intention at the time.

Spayed it on myself, this makes a world of difference. The sharp citrus dies down after a minute or two, and moves towards the background to make way for some of the other notes. After a few minutes it's very... pleasant. Some basil, spices, rose, moving into the foreground, never at any time pungent or overbearing.

Gave it some more time. I feel... distinguished, gentlemanly. There is a slight hint of sweet lemon, but it's hardly mosquito-repellant material at this point. The dry-down is absolutely lovely. I keep pulling my shirt up over my face and taking a whiff. Very elegant, well composed. Classic. It seems this is more of a summer fragrance but I think it can be worn any time of the year, very fresh and light, this could be used at work or casually, or wear this to a formal event and feel like a million bucks.

Is this fragrance dated? Think of the men who may have worn this at the time. This was the time when every man wore a suit and hat to work. These were the days of the real Mad Men, never mind the ones on TV. Some things never go out of style.

jasonchickerson
jasonchickerson

I think everyone that gives any thought to scent can name one fragrance whose popularity stupefies them. Eau Sauvage is for me that fragrance.

On paper it smells okay. It is lemony fresh, gently sweet and that's about it. Even if Sauvage smelled on skin like it smells on paper, I wouldn't understand why people would buy it.

On my skin, though, Sauvage is a nasty blend of citronella and cat urine. Ammonia laden toilet cleaner smells better. Sure, I can pick out a little rose and rosemary if I really think about it. But I don't want to think about it. I just want it off my arm.

In the spirit of science, I did force myself to wear a sample through the dry down, and admittedly, it does settle after a couple hours into a sort of generic chypre. But that's a long hard road for little payoff. Why bother when Eau d'Hérmès is basically the same idea done brilliantly.

Sauvage is very popular, a veritable classic, and Edmond Roudnitska (who also did Eau d'Hérmès) is arguably one of the greatest perfumers of recent time, so there must be something to it I'm not smelling. If I can build up the courage, I'll spray some on my wife later and see if she gags too.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

If you are a man who favors classically clean, fresh, masculine fragrances in the eau de cologne tradition, look no further than Eau Sauvage. Its lemon, basil, rosemary, and mosses are timelessly composed and refined to a fault. One could say this scent is a bit unexciting, but put simply Eau Sauvage smells good, and that's more than I can say for most other masculines. This is a tidy workhorse, something an adult male can take with him on his travels, through his workweek, and on a date with his wife. Wear it without a second thought, if for no other reason than to give your wife seconds thoughts about going home after dinner, cracking open a novel, and falling promptly to sleep.

UPDATE:
I've been wearing this for a while now, and I'm surprised that I neglected to mention the Hedione in the above review. Let me say this - everything you think you know about Hedione in Eau Sauvage is probably fueled by a whollotta b.s. published on the interweb. They haven't toned the Hedione down, it doesn't smell like jasmine for very long, and none of that matters anyway, because it fits into the composition beautifully and makes this fragrance a winner in every way. In truth, the Hedione is pretty strong, with a vibrant jasmine pushing through the citruses, making its sweet presence known for a good ten minutes after application. But then it changes into a sheer aquatic note, which lightens this already-effervescent perfume and sends its sexiness into overdrive. The citruses and herbs maintain their presence, rounding it all out and preventing things from becoming trite. But there isn't much Hedione in this fragrance's formula - just enough to brighten the earthier citrus effects and make the "cologne" aspect of ES shine.

And speaking of "cologne" and "cologne notes," one other thing - the neroli note should be mentioned in the pyramid above, because it is STRONG in Eau Sauvage. The more I wear ES, the more neroli I smell, to the point where I almost wonder if they reformulated this fragrance not so much to remove oakmoss, but to amp up the rich neroli note, because as Tom Ford, Creed, and others have pointed out, this is a great classical element to European cologne formulas. For bargain basement prices, shoot for 4711's neroli. For mid-shelf designer that actually smells like niche, shoot for Eau Sauvage. I understand Neroli Sauvage and Neroli Portofino are excellent niche rendtiions. But Eau Sauvage, for the money, is unbeatable. Still excellent, after all these years.

Legendary, clean with style and stylish with cleanliness, but not hysterically laundry-type.
This is a classic for a reason and it smells kicking after so many years. A timeless classic, you can't go wrong with this, especially if it mingles finely and warm up with your chemistry instead of sitting coldly on top.
Good for a woman too but not usually my type of fragrances on myself.
Lasting power is very strong but sillage is close to skin.

Aredore
Aredore

It’s easy to imagine the old Bond wearing this one. Sauvage is remarkably dirty for a squeaky-clean scent. Beneath all the beautiful accords - the candied lemon, the peppery cumin and fennel and the plush basil and rose heart - is a pungent, hay-like vetiver-musk that is almost animalic, as though the wearer simply can’t scrub away his own raunchy scent. It hovers on the skin like an open invitation. “Want to go roll in it?”

jsnat1227
jsnat1227

Eau Sauvage is one of the greatest scents ever created. It's noble, masculine, clean & classic, and essential. Perfect for a morning staff meeting and respectable enough for a prime table at Le Cirque.

Launched in the mid-1960's, Eau Sauvage has been a staple on the shelf for years. The Ayatollah Khomeini scented his beard with Eau Sauvage every morning before prayer. If it's good enough for the Ayatollah, it's good enough for you!

deppard
deppard

I've been using a wide range of perfumes for the last 20 years. As if that wasn't enough, I added 10+ years of aroma/perfume study to it- just to have a good idea of what is what. I buy, use and experiment with most worthy perfumes before I add them to my kitty. I sometimes do the trial and error approach- whoch brings me to this Eau Sauvage from the noble house of CD.

Why wear a scent? To enhance personality, smell fresh, magnetic, sophisticated etc etc? Well Eau sauvage just doesn't fit into any one of those I'm afraid.There's Nothing much to talk about really. From a Big famous brand like Dior it is one big dissappointment.

It is a fresh lemon based scent. The top notes are same as a fresh lemon being cut- fresh, crispy, juicy. A blast of lemonade.

The mid note and base is hard to segregate as it simply smells of stale lime. There is nothing more to it. I fail to agree with the talk of basil, mint etc etc. There are far better lime/aqua based fragrances out there.

Refreshing at the top- yes. Nothing worth talking about afterwards. Stale lime aroma in hot humid weather can be a bad idea. In dry weather its just a lemony limp whiff.

Silliage- not good. The top note vanishes quickly leaving very little on the skin. Duration really poor. If it was some small time player- perhaps barely passable- With a Dior tag and high price- it is an open, below ordinary, unappealing perfume. Not worth spending on- There are much better options

wormred
wormred

Great refreshing fragrance. Very smooth, simple and subtle. Yet masculine. A citrusy vetiver. But I still prefer Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

jtd
jtd

Have you noticed Eau Sauvage is like some sort of Ouija board? We make it spell out whatever we’re hoping to channel. Chypre, magic all-day cologne, fresh jasmine, woody citrus. I get a sparkling candied lemon and a cool sip of water at the start, but it winds up an interestingly woody floral, the wood stemming from petitgrain and rosemary, the floral from jasmine/hedione. I do see the through-line from ES to the shadier Diorella, but forgetting for a moment that ES preceded Diorella, ES is so squeaky clean as to seem like Diorella only after many years sober.

If hedione is the aromachemical that adds or enhances a watery, green jasmine feel, it certainly skips the indoles here. Where Diorella flirts with you in a languorous drawl, ES gives elocution lessons. You choose which suit your mood.

Grottola

One of the simplest yet most elegant fragrances ever, Eau Sauvage is a lesson in how to do a masculine right. Edmond Roudnitska took the top of a classic Eau - citrus and neroli - and added some verbana, florals in the middle, and a subtle chypre base to create a full-boned, well balanced masculine. It's not offensive at all, it's not stuffy at all, it's not too conservative, it's by no means dated, and I think every guy with an interest in fragrances needs to smell Eau Sauvage. The vintage version is arguably better, as it lasts longer and has a bit more character, but the current version is still Eau Sauvage, and that's a great thing in its own right. Another thing that makes Eau Sauvage so good is hedoine, which gives off the aroma of wet human skin. It's natural, addicting, and blends so well with body heat. Eau Sauvage is different on everyone, which makes it easy for signature material.

Guys... if you haven't tried it yet, please do. Don't worry about smelling too "old" - for god's sake, I'm 20 years old and I love the stuff.

johngreenink
johngreenink

A wonderful anecdote about this scent: A good friend (who has sadly passed away) saw me with a bottle of Eau Sauvage when I was visiting he and his wife in Versailles in the 1990's. He smiled and said 'Ah, that cologne! It reminds me of being a boy, wearing a bright white shirt and a tie on a Sunday.' He went on to say how much he hated wearing shirts and ties, but that the scent was something that so many French school boys remember, and love to this day even though they may have hated its association with having to get 'dressed up' to visit grandmother or go to church.

This is my default cologne - if I want to be sure to wear something that pretty much anyone can enjoy, this is the one I choose. It says 'freshly shaved and shirted' like nothing else. Goes on strong, but fades to a nice, cool even tone of rose geranium and lemon leaves. I'll always have a bottle of this around.

krmarich
krmarich

This was the first status fragrance commercially launched for men. Dior seemed to know how to market fragrance well and this was perhaps one of the most clever promotion of the time.

It was alwas a little more expensive and just refreshing. I never understood it until the Extreem edition was a few decades later. I always felt ts lemony vetiver character should have lasted longer.

Oddly, upon my last sampling, it remains intact, despite the reformulation trend. Oddly, there is not much to change.

ION
ION

"Wild Water" or "Eau Sauvage" if you prefer ;-) is one of those perfumes that everyone likes effortlessly, being so fresh and pleasant but in a suprising and slighlty conservative way.
Easily recognisable, I have a 60yo old friend (a pharmacist) in south of Greece who's been wearing it since the 1970, continuously!!
I was rather disappointed to see Mr Delon promoted for the image of this smell, I feel he "smells" more like Paco Rabane, certainly not like this one.
Anyway, while a fresh and "open" perfume, it does carry a darker side that once emphasized it would give it a new interesting perspective. [It sits right there, alone, waiting for a tweak ;-)]
* Its shower gel is very appropriate for spring or early autumn (not exactly for summer unless you live north) but I do think that all Dior shower gels (at least the male line I know) need a little more fragrance in and a more "confident" washing ability.

blueberry
blueberry

One of the most masculine scents ever - it reminds me a cologne my grandpa used. I am astonished many women wear it - I bought it blindly with this intention too, basing on the raving reviews and multiple suggestions that this is a fragrance women could easily wear, but apparently I am not one of those women: Eau Sauvage is way too masculine for me, even though I wear lots of men's scents with pleasure and generally skip gender divisions in perfumes.
When I smell Eau Sauvage, however, I immediately see a barber's shop - and men with faces covered with shaving foam and I almost hear razors gliding over their skin. The aroma in the air is exactly Dior ES = the ulimate after shave effect.
Luckily, I can present this classic, pungently citrusy fragrance to my dear husband. It will suit him more than myself.
Sillage: good, but you have to use several sprays, 2 are not enough.
Longevity: OK, but I expected more from Dior.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

I am in a sensuous verdant garden illuminated by the brilliance of a perfect Mediterranean day. This is the stuff of dreams and fantasy. I cannot imagine a more gorgeous fresh fragrance than Eau Sauvage.

hermajesty2009
hermajesty2009

actually i'm a girl and my dad owns the bottle... i use to steal it sometimes, when i want a fresh, spicy scent. reminds me of nice days out with my family. and anyways who says i can't wear a man's perfume?? lol

ryldyl
ryldyl

Sex Sex SEX. Good, clean, fun sex on a warm summer evening. Not much left to be said about this one.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

It opens with a fresh candy type of scent which is aromatic to the nose.

Then it takes a turn for the worse and starts to smell fecal like someone has gone to the toilet and sprayed a musky air freshner to cover the smell.

After a while those horrid midnotes recede to leave a muskyness in the basenotes.

I had high hopes for this one and I like the opening and basenotes but I just cannot live with it's midnotes. A shame.

K1

Back to 60's ever since nothing could pull it down. This is somewhat phenomenal, something that goes its own way and nothing can turn it down cause there are bunch of logical reasons to keep it at top.
Eau Sauvage is stylishly fresh with soft pine and floral theme. Like a signature not like a motto. This is why the ad campaign features it by Alain Delon and not Justin Bieber. It's a triumph in perfumery.

A seminal release in perfumery and still a favourite for many perfume's lovers. Eau Sauvage is a consistent citrus / floral cologne enriched by a slight pine note that's perfect for everyday's wear. Unpretentious but solidly crafted and absolutely endless. I personally prefer dirtier interpretation of the same theme (it's just a matter of taste) but Eau Sauvage unquestionably deserves its place in the fragrance's Olympus. A mandatory experience for any perfumes lover.

Fizzy
Fizzy

This fragrance is so unbelievable fine and fresh, it´s only for the ambassadors or very rich people or people with high social status, f.e. politicians or plastic surgeon doctor.
You have to wear a jacket and tie or tiebow.
Nothing for the sportsmen, brooker, banker or very young guys (in this case, use better Gaultier Le Male)! I can imagine, to wear it too, even thoug I´m a woman.

corvuseye
corvuseye

Robertland has got "his finger right on it" I second his review. THIS is quality. If you are used to the modern stuff named for movie stars and MTV saints of the month, this will probably waft right over your head, UNLESS...You slow down, and "smell the Dior"! It's incredibly well thought out, and it has a constrained sexiness, that is shy of bold, (no raw musk), but still unmistakenly provacative to anyone paying attention.
It's the nerdy computer guy that turns into the hottest lover you ever had , when he takes off his glasses!(oh, and he's rich, tooo, but doesn't care too much about money!), Ohhh and he even has a GREAT body, and when the time is right he will recite poetry to you....That's Savage! Lennon wore it? Makes PERFECT sense.(What is the sound of the letter "S" being sucked IN?) yeah..thats it!)

rafiqi
rafiqi

i got eau sauvage as a gift from my cousin. at first i really didn't care since everybody said that it is meant for older people. my taste is for sweet and woody fragrance. anyhow, when i tried eau sauvage wow, what a brilliant fragrance... the citrus blend wonderfully with spices

kzm40
kzm40

One of the classics... Love it so fresh.

oxm
oxm

Eau Sauvage cologne is a scent in my opinion, but despite its age (45) still retains its charm and is a citrus fragrance and aromatic, I can hardly hear the rose and the rest of the flowers, perhaps is my nose can not distinguish carefully the various woods, but I can say with certainty that it is very difficult to find something fresher, of course is particularly suitable in the spring and summer.
Is one of the classics, it's like spring water, crystal clear, cheerful and sincere.
Elegant and chic.

querelle
querelle

In our times, perfumes are either sickly sweet or dead-boring fresh. Or something inbetween. And all those new born aromatic molecules are seem to smell more or less the same. And they last so long that they make you doubt whether you had a shower or not. And they claim to be really innovative and unique. AND they simply suck..
This is where Eau Sauvage comes in the picture and saves the day.. Phew..

Louw
Louw

Absolutely divine! Bergamot gives way to jasmine mixed with a hint of patchouli and a lingering musky base. Smells great on men - clean and masculine - but it's a good one for women to steal too! I must confess that years ago, I loved it so much that I used to 'borrow' my flat-mate's bottle whenever he was away!

Grottola

Words cannot describe how much I love Eau Sauvage.

I guess all I can say is that John Lennon and Sammy Davis Jr. wore it, and that gives you an idea of how you can take this fragrance and make it YOU.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Oh no. Within five minutes of application, I was sinking into a pit of creepy-crawly dread. Despite the delightfully sharp lemon opening, Eau Savage was turning out very similarly to Eau d’Lissey Pour Homme. It was becoming a stale, “time to throw out the flowers” trip to the stankhouse. My only hope was that the oakmoss and vevitir in the drydown would save it. However, then I discovered that I was also allergic to it. Every few seconds I was scratching my nose. Finally the nose-scratching abated and I dared to sniff my wrists. Now they smell like glue. Elmer’s glue, that is. There’s a little bit of musky smell back there somewhere (oakmoss, I guess). I couldn’t wait to get home again and scrub this foul concoction off of me. I’ve heard that John Lennon wore this and that cements my repulsion perfectly.

JohnMc
JohnMc

This fragrance with its citrus bite and uplifting florals is a true classic in my humble opinion, it doesn't surprise me at all that this is an inter-generational type of fragrance in the same way that some cars and jewellery continue to evoke reverence. For some as yet unknown reason, the smell of Eau Savage taps in to some kind of father-son dynamic as this stuff from the very first smell transported me to my childhood and the intense citrus/woody scents that my father used to wear. Essential and timeless.

mediterranean
mediterranean

There is not much to say here after reading K1´s opinion . He says it all beautifully. Also I agree completelly with Robertland. This one is a masterpiece,beautifully composed,I can see a man in his 40´s who knows exactly what he wants and where he is going wearing this,he does not need a sensual perfume because he is dead sexy himself.He exudes selfconfidence and you can trust him.Naturally elegant and kind never trying to stand out and getting attention anyway.Glorious!Who said this is not sexy?

K1

The best part of French culture is here and Alain Delon is the best choice, his face describes comprehensively; gentle, elegant, handsome and attractive.
It opens with lots of herbs and spices with a touch of fruits gourmand in undertone. Semi-floral middle phase and mossy base come after sharp aromatic initiating.
Right now I cannot write cause what I'm smelling blocks my brain!

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Whats the deal? Every scent ive tried lately has had horible accords of lemon or grapefruit.

This is classed as a citrus aromatic, and has lemon in the top note, the sourest note i've yet discovered. the bottle from which I sampled was heavily blessed with a musky woodiness of pure manhood and diligence!

When I'm in my 40's, I surely hope this is still around

mehrdad
mehrdad

Eau de Toilette

The quintessentially French classic since its creation, Dior’s first men’s perfume remains revolutionary for its simple audacity. Its world-class composition offers a perfect blend of crisp citrus notes and distinctly masculine woody undertones; an eternal favorite.

به نقل از سایت دیور

Robertland
Robertland

I don´t know much about the chemistry of perfumes but I know when a perfume is the real thing and when its ingredients are mostly natural. Eau Sauvage is one of the best men´s colognes of the last decades. The younger generation does not know it (pity). Unfortunately for them, men and women in their 20´s and 30´s only wear pop culture´s fragrances like singers brands, fashion model brands and other temporary perfumes. One reason: Perfume Houses are not investing in quality these days, only in advertising. True,there are exclusive brands around made with the best ingredients but hey! who can afford US$300 and US$400 dollars per bottle?

LaPetite
LaPetite

Not a fan of Dior at all, usually ...
This is the BEST male scent ever imao !
Timeless , fesh , classy , tastefull , fits all ages .
I gifted it to my dad several times, i'm sure he is not dispaointed

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

Nothing better than this in the morning before going to office. When i spray this i go back in time and see my grandfather, father, uncles, myself when i was a kid....i dont know why but this fragrance makes you travel in time and remmember great memories...yes it smells like a cologne ( maybe 4711) but thats what makes this fragrance great ( its simplicity)...if it does not last long just apply again...i am in love with this masterpiece

guest_iman
guest_iman

A sexy,classic,MUST HAVE scent for a gentleman.A man can never go wrong with Eau Savage!

This scent reminds me of Gregory Peck,Cary Grant and a smoky lounge.Yummy.

Another great scent from Dior.Though i still adore Shiseido Basala and Fahrenheit.

guest_guido
guest_guido

eau sauvage is my old friend through the years, a typically parisien scent.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I agree with most of the comments. This is definitely for a man, and I mean a real MAN. An over 35 Gregory Peck type male who exudes dignity and masculinity.
I especially love the vetiver in this. Yum. :)

timi
timi

Ah, Eau Savage. I have many fond memories of you as a little girl.

How wonderful you smell, even after all these years. It is probably because of you that I have come to associate masculinity and sex appeal with bergamot and lemon scents.

It is you, intermingled slightly with tobacco smoke that will forever remind me of my father, and the memories of watching him splash this on after a shower and a shave.

This perfume can only be pulled off by a man in his early to mid 30s; this is quite possibly THE scent of accomplishment and dignity.

BIG
BIG

Eau Sauvage and YSL Pour Homme are twin brothers! I'll stick with Monsieur Balmain and Eau de Rochas PH instead.

narcotic
narcotic

Citrus aromatics can be notoriously difficult to pull off, especially if they're masculines. Either the linalool or synthetic bergamot notes can be overpowering and give it a Lysol-tastic feel, or it delves dangerously into Axe Bodyspray Aquatic territory.

It's really wonderful, then, to find out that Eau Sauvage did this first and did this best! This thing (especially the very well-done reformulation) is the olfactory equivalent of a Frank Lloyd Wright house: hard-lined but graceful, strong and straight and confident without being boring for a second.

It's not frivolous or trendy, either; it's the rare, wonderful kind of masculine that you can wear all your life. Many already have. it's serious about how good it is, and I'm serious about loving it, as well. So sexy.

liar
liar

The slogan of this aroma : "We should not be given, we can take all"

Endymion
Endymion

You know, I never understood the hype about this scent. It's classic, yes, it's discreet, yes, it's absolutely suitable for office. Sexy? No way!
I like it, but not a fan of it. For me it's very conservative, only for men over 40.
I much into citrus fragrances, and Eau Sauvage is like that. But I personally think that Eau de Rochas Homme is way superior than Eau Sauvage! I sniff Rochas all the time I wear and the scent makes me feel pampered but Eau Sauvage bores me very soon. The composition and longevity both better in Rochas, still ES is an unbeatable popular classic.
I wish people would take the fragrance itself and not the cult or legend around a fragrance. Trust me, Eau de Rochas Homme beats Eau Sauvage, it's just not "Dior" that's all.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A classy classic one of the best citruses and an old friend. But there is something in there that makes it unique. A mellow, smooth citrus. Longevity has a question mark on it for me though. The extreme version is a bit better

andrevarx
andrevarx

EDT is a very classic French and sober. A masterpiece that can project authority. I do not think is appropriate for some other use. It may look great in formal events and in office is excellent.

It lasts about nine hours on my skin. For all ages only if they want to project authority. It's subtle but authoritative.

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

I will always own this debonair elixir. Countless compliments from the fairer sex. Wearing this I am David Niven on the tiles in Paris - debonair, worldly, understated, ready for romance and all the promises that the night holds. Is it the bergamot ? The rose? The vetiver that intoxicates in the most refined way? Perfect for any occassion. Summer, winter, day and night - this is raw passionate wild sweat-ridden sex in a tuxedo. Its not for kids though. the drydown is superb but be careful not to over apply - two squirts suffice.

slave for scents
slave for scents

eau sauvage, ysl pour homme, bvlgari extreme, vetiver by guerlain - once you have these scents in your armory, you're all set!

DC-8
DC-8

Just a feat, indeed. One legendary scent in the perfumery history and one memorable masterpiece. Well done and thanks, Mr. Roudnitska!

"TIMELESS" as the letter of Dior, to describe this historical icon, is one right word, indeed. It does stand to be a timeless gem.

Its unique fresh lime opening is a real kick-on for hot days, the drydown is really wonderful, specially the vetiver and carnation have been blended so crafty in it.

When I wore it today for the very first time in the classroom, it made me unable to concentrate on the lessons, since the smell was all the time absorbing my attention!!!! :-) Well, here it is not timeless!!!! ;-)

The one and only complain about this beautiful lovely giant is the extremely weak longevity. You gotta carry it always in your pocket to renew it once a short while, but it definitely does worth the pleasure of the fragrance. It does not last longer than half an hour or one hour, maximum.

Suitable for any hot weather, but I think it would appear even better in the humidity.

And finally, it's a Dior hit... I'm in love with it! :-)

JC1812
JC1812

I was given a small sample of this back in high school (which would mean decades ago), and, being the teenager that I was, stowed it deep inside a cabinet where I did not get to see it again until I was years into college. It did smell old but in a good way. Reminiscent of lazy afternoon walks after a mild rain. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of this once more if only to recapture the feeling.

mrdibiagio
mrdibiagio

Notas alimonadas desde el principio al final. El frescor del limon envuelve las notas herbales, algo de flores como rosa en corazon y la madera y vetiver se sienten suaves. Una fragancia unica, fresca y de poca intensidad, pero con clase. Altamente recomendable si se busca una fragancia intima, de distancias cortas. Longevidad razonable por ser fragancia citrica, 4 a 5 horas.

Fred Maple-Hill
Fred Maple-Hill

Sophisticated simplicity for summer. Classical class.

Kaprifol
Kaprifol

I still remember when my father, who traveled a lot, came home, wearing the fragrance. It was a winterday, snowy and cold. I loved the scent and could not imagine anything more elegant and and refined and with the elegant green lemon note. I used to borrow it in secret and sneak out and feel elegant and urbane.

My father is still an elegant man, but he does not wear Eau Savage any longer.

I do not go into perfume shops so often, but every time I am in a duty free shop as today in Lanzarote, I take the opportunity to feel like when I was a little girl and my childmemories is corresponding

nemonie
nemonie

I adore this perfume. I tend to go for more masculine scents, as they seem to work better on my skin and this is no exception.
There is a gorgeous warm yet fresh and zingy citrus quality to this scent. In fact it reminds me of a holiday in Thailand where the scent of lemongrass was prevalent. This drys down to clean smoky finish, but still retains its citrus flavour. It lasted at least 4 hours on my skin. Definitely need to buy this one

guest_guest 1967
guest_guest 1967

eau sauvage von dior, ein klassiker mit abschlägen. es wirkt doch heute etwas altbacken muss ich sagen, die citrusnoten sind doch sehr klassisch und gewöhnungsbedürftig.
erstaunlicherweise ist dieser duft bei jungen männern in paris wieder sehr gefragt.

Andy Capobianco
Andy Capobianco

I absoutley love Eau Sauvage. It does smell "old" but not in a bad way, it's vintage and retro and awesome. The opening lemon is pretty strong and fresh and smells nice, but after a little while it's faded down & you're left with the fantastic scent, still with a hint of citrus. It lasts around 5 hours on me with a good few sprays. This is my favorite fragrance. I just wish it was stronger and lasted longer

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

A great fresh citrissy Spring into Summer fragrance. Classic. Been wearing it for close to 25 years and it's still wears modern.

curtis.w
curtis.w

I happened across Eau Sauvage fairly soon after getting into fragrances. As part of my introduction to perfumes, I’d smelled Guerlain’s Jicky and quite enjoyed it, but my girlfriend didn’t much care for it. She found it old and musty while I appreciated the masterful blend of citrus and spices. So I set out to find something Jicky-like that she might like better, and I found it in Eau Sauvage.

ES opens with what might be the brightest lemon I’ve ever smelled. It never ventures into Lemon Pledge territory but stays much, much closer to fresh lemon peel and even reminds me a bit of Lemonheads, a candy from my childhood. Along with the lemon is a great blend of spices: rosemary, basil, and coriander; others are listed, but those are mostly what I smell. And underneath the citrus and spices is the glorious, shimmeringly mouth-watering floral note of hedione. The hedione, which is an aromachemical that smells similar to jasmine, is, in my opinion, what makes this fragrance, giving it an almost indescribable three-dimensional quality. It takes ES beyond a simple scent and makes it an experience. Without hedione, ES would still be a decent enough fragrance, though it may not have lasted on the market the 43 years it has, but with it, it simply shines. I don’t get much, if any, rose, and the carnation may just hide amongst the other spicy notes, but the hedione definitely gives ES a floral aspect. Even so, it’s so well balanced with citrus and spices that ES definitely stays on the masculine side, even at its most floral. And once the floral aspect starts to fade a bit, you get a bit of sandalwood and a lot of vetiver, which gives it a bit of a dirty feeling in the drydown, though I don’t find it offensive at all, especially since the lemon, spices, and flowers are still present enough to make it complex. From the bright opening to what is one of my absolute favorite drydowns, Eau Sauvage is well-executed and a joy to wear. This should be in every man’s wardrobe.

guest_Zouz Von Kuwait
guest_Zouz Von Kuwait

Exellent perfume used it from the age of 14 (in 1974) until now.
Nice for the summer.

guest_c1
guest_c1

My favourite cologne, along with Caron's Pour Homme.
Does anyone know what happened to Baleciaga's Pour Homme from the 60s?

Cassiano
Cassiano

Classic scent ("old school") of excellent quality and refinement. Is in the same category of YSL Pour Homme or Boucheron, with much richness of citrus and a woody base of vetiver and sandalwood.

It was created in 1966 and generated some variations (flankers) which tried to adjust itselves to the markets of the moment. Still, the original version resisted the time and keeps conquering new costumers and maintaining the loyalty of old ones.

Its creator, Edmond Roudnitska, dared in the formula when using flowers that, until then, had not been employed in men's fragrances, plus add hedione, synthetic substance of sharp freshness.

The story of its name is also quite original: Christian Dior was a close friend of Percy Savage, famous figure of the fashion scene for many years ago. One night, invited to a brainstorming at Dior’s House, Percy arrived late and when it was announced by the butler, someone said: "Oh Savage, always late!". So, Dior clapped his hands and said: "that's it! Eau Sauvage".

It's a cologne that carries with it a feeling of elegance and distinction. A beautiful creation by Dior.

countbernadotte
countbernadotte

I have had this fragrance uninterruptedly for over 30 years now. I have never gone through a summer season with ES missing from my wardrobe.

A legend, a classic and every man should have it for summer, office and special occasion wear.

minimalist
minimalist

There's plenty of Hedione in this timeless masterpiece but it's not listed.
The rest is history in a good sense. Roudnitska was illuminated when creating this.

hibernation
hibernation

I love this fragrance on my husband :)

irinka
irinka

very sexy for my husband,so yammy! ...One of my favorite for men,never be old,modern and fresh,elegant and sexy...

darren
darren

energetic citrus scents mixed incredibly with flowers,musk and proximately everything!like the name says very savage and sexy!suitable for younger men,even girls might wear it easily,but not for a romantic dating!the mint and fruity notes are just perfect.although it was created in 1966(the first eau sauvage version) I like it much more than later versions.I agree with "afraafra" it's still a modern fragrance.

LeoKev
LeoKev

I first purchased Dior Eau Savage when I was 16, at Duty Free in Bermuda. The fragrance made me feel instantly international and "jet set", with its fresh citrus notes (an olfactory introduction to the classic cocktail Gin & Tonic with a zest of lime, which I would taste and enjoy later in life). Still today, even though I have a pretty big collection of fragrances, CD Eau Savage (along with Aqua di Parma and YSL KOROUS) are still my top three 'classics'. Gin & Tonic, on vacation in Bermuda, going to the Opera in Denmark and woody/herbacious notes. Reminds me of hiking in the desert hills of southern Utah with Juniper trees around me.

Cymbeline
Cymbeline

Wild yet so smart, a very demanding and manly scent. I keep feeling it could have been worn by an highwayman or an adventurer surrounded by leather and cigar's smoke ^^
My favourite men fragrance ever !

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

I turned my fiance on to Eau Savage- it's masculine, clean, and distinguished.Smells especially great on men over 35. The minty basil note is perfect with, and sets off, the citrus.

afraafra
afraafra

Still modern after 42 years, smells citrucy atfirst then after a few minutes turns aromatic and musky.

Eau Sauvage by Dior 4.16 out of 5 based on 1159 ratings and 202 user reviews

Eau Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette
Eau Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Eau De Toilette Bottle 100ml 3.4oz
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Eau De Toilette Bottle 100ml 3.4oz
EAU SAUVAGE for MEN by Christian Dior SET-EDT SPRAY 3.4 OZ SHOWER GEL 2.5 OZ DERMO SYSTEM .33 OZ LEATHER TOILETRY BAG
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Eau Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior, 33.8 oz Eau De Toilette for Men
Eau Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior, 33.8 oz Eau De Toilette for Men
Eau Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior - 33.8 oz Eau De Toilette
Eau Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior - 33.8 oz Eau De Toilette

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dior Eau Sauvage fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dior Eau Sauvage, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Eau Sauvage by Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Eau Sauvage by Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.