Designers » D E » Oriental Woody « Groups

La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial Dior for men

La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial Dior for men
dislike

La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial Dior for men Pictures

Potent and sensual patchouli is of core essence to the house of Dior since the beginning of the New Look revolution from 1947.

Full of elegance, composition Patchouli Imperial created by perfumer Francois Demachy is a celebration of this legendary oriental ingredient with sophisticated ingredients of this newly created composition. Patchouli is the central note – ingredient with among herbal notes offers the stronger animalistic effect. This is refined reveal, unprecedented elegance. La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial was launched in 2011.

Sicilian Mandarin Calabrian bergamot Indonesian Patchouli Leaf Coriander Cedar Sandalwood

La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial Fragrance Reviews

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

My first impression is as follows: A short blast of mandarin triggers an intense spectacular bergamot BOMB!...then about 15-20 minutes the dust finally settles. Then the coriander and patchouli slowly peak there heads out of the ashes. They begin to develop into something wonderful, and just when your beginning to understand what is going on, the sandalwood starts slowly making its way out of the rubble. The sandalwood and coriander help show the different faces of patchouli. They also ad a slight powdery/aromatic accord in the last phase of the dry down. The sandalwood is done flawlessly.

Patchouli Imperial is linear, it keeps me entertained as well as relaxed, I also appreciate the sheer quality of the oils which make this fragrance so elegant and refined. The bottle is plain, it has a magnetic cap which centers the CD symbol on top, which adds just a touch of class for me. Value wise this is exceptionally priced for the amount given.

yvashche
yvashche

A great patchouli, woody and green. Immediately delves into smoky territory with a golden touch. Patchouli is hard to round into an elegant scent but this version does the trick.

Jack garner
Jack garner

This is intense stuff - very loud, very heavy patchouli represented with a very linear breakdown. Personally, I don't find this to be very unisex at all. This is late 80s Joan Collins in a bottle. The dirty, slightly sour drydown is reminiscent of the inside of a handbag. I find it too sweet and sharp, it's heaviness coating the nostrils and mouth like a cosmetic.

I would prefer a breezy, light green patchouli like Hindu Grass for a man.

Saying that, I do have two bottles of this stuff (gift) so I'm doing my best to find an angle on it. Light application seems to bring out the coriander and sandalwood - necessary for broadening this fragrance. Spray low on chest and from a good 10 inches.

Great, great opening on this one I was drawn in from the very first sniff, strange really as I like patch (I mean who doesn't?) (Ps I am aware some people don't I was being rhetorical.)
But I'm not crazy about it and don't often consider fragrances with patchouli in the name.
Also, this is my first delve into this collection from Dior and it's off to a good start let me tell you. It has a menthol almost medicinal vibe in the opening and a little fruit not really what I expected but very pleasant. The patchouli becomes really chocolaty in the dry down like cacao & sweet leafy soil mixed with truffles or something? So not sweet gourmand chocolate just that lovely dark thing patch does when it becomes like chocolate. This is a good blend and the whole vibe puts me in mind of Tom Ford Noir or like an uncluttered black orchid...in other words...heavy on the patchouli as you'd expect.
My verdict was initially this was my favourite until the amber one I tried dried down and I really how gorgeous it was. So this is no slouch its a good, extremely well made fragrance and the price is pretty reasonable considering the amount of juice you get.
Oh...just one minor criticism of this line. Dior have taken a minimalist approach to the packaging on these but in my opinion they look cheap and nasty. The bottles displayed on the Dior counter are bright (crazy juice colours)and easily recognisable but they look to me like cocktail syrups or soda stream flavours or something...not high end perfumes.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Patchouli Imperial is yet again another well blended and well crafted masterpiece from the Dior Private Collection.
Patchouli in its many guises takes shapes here from fresh to earthy but always classy and vibrant thanks to the supporting cast including coriander,bergamot and creamy sandalwood which prevents it from getting too dirty and mundane.
Fairly linear but always polished and high quality.
Definitely top 5 in this exclusive Dior collection.

dmoman
dmoman

Beginning its bright somewhat powder and citrusy with patch. When it dries down its a very nice earthy, coriander and it almost is like its chocolatey...not gormand but it kind of reminds me of Nasomatto Absinth, not the same but both comes off a little chocolatey (not thick though) patchouli. I like this one a lot. Starts out femme imo but dries down to something nice and more masculine. It's for a man but I feel a lady could pull this off.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

I am not a Patcholi fan (there are few patch scents i do like)... But for those who are addicted to this note, this one would do a great performance...

I think it's because its changes during the evolution on skin...

An earthy woody patchouli at the most time but slightly powdery from the middle to its drydown.

Probably sandalwood and cedar could bring different facets while playing together with the Patchouli note.

ranchorita
ranchorita

Patchouli Impérial is a delcious patchouli. The opening is grand with glorious coriander, and soon there's cedar in a big way. The dry down to an almost unctuous patch was very nice, and occasionally ambling into the realm of gamey funk. Nice, and I am the sort of woman to ignore labels, but this one may actually be better suited to the gentlemen. Still, I'm delighted to have a large decant which merits further exploration.

UPDATE - 6 months later - On subsequent wearings, I've decided that the drydown is more masculine in polarity and more suited to man than woman. I'm giving this decant to my boyfriend, and I'll be able to enjoy it on him most thoroughly. On drydown, this fragrance is very woody and smells high-quality to my nose.

shrouded
shrouded

This smells so regal! I ran across this scent on a man at the mall. and when I asked him to find out what he was wearing, I immediately went to the department store's Dior section. Unfortunately, my country doesn't carry La Collection Privee. i'm madly in love with this masterpiece!

The projection I got from the man was at arm's length, which was very good! who needs a room filler like "in your face" anyway?

Update: I get the most bizarre unsolicited comments from my friends in school when I wear this frag. they associate it with along the lines of Caveman, Mummy's Tomb, DOM, Closet filled of mothballs etc.. LOL
Girls don't like this. but my male friends do

It's definitely long lasting. I get more than 8 hours of longevity and even get whiffs after showering!

In projection, this is a beast I could say. people walking towards me are able to smell this before they actually get in front of me.

vadim
vadim

I just took a sample of this perfume. For me smells similar with Corandel which I love.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

What I like very much about Patchouli Imperial, is that it manages to cover differents aspects of patchouli in one fragrance. I sense the powdery, the earthy, the dirty, the fresh mentholated and the gourmand aspects of the patchouli. They dont show up at the same time but in diferent moments fighting to get front stage. On topo of that you have the addition of coriander enhancing the animalic qualities (to some it might smell of arm pit) I can see some similarities with oud leather, they both have a woody animalic transperent quality in the oppening, but PI turns more mellow and gourmand in the drydown I suspect bacause of amber and cinamon.

I think its a very sophisticated patch, and belongs to my list of favorite patches together with Coromandel, Broneo, Patchouli Intrigant, Coze and Farmacia Anunziata´s Patchouli.

LANIER
LANIER

On the docks of Marseilles in the time of the last king Louis Philippe there was told the story of the scandalous woman known as Olympe. Her father was the proprietor of a spice shop near the center of town and as a young woman of 15 she often went to the docks with her father to meet the ships arriving from the East. Spice ships laden with every imaginable wonder from the Orient by way of Silk Road and the Red Sea routes to India. The ships were also full of sailors.

Olympe was not beautiful but she was tall and of a certain elegant carriage. She had little interest in boys let alone men at an age when her girlfriends were giddy with mere dreams of affairs of the heart. That all changed in an instant one August morning when a ship known as The Marie Thérèse docked at Marseilles. As her father was inspecting a shipment of coriander Olympe idly twirled her parasol made of Mysore sandal wood and Belgian lace and became fascinated by the play of light that threw dancing shadows across her face. Something on deck flashed silver though the tiny holes in the lace parasol and she stopped twirling it. Slowly she tilted the parasol up to peek from under its brim. The silver braid on the epaulet of the right shoulder of the most beautiful captain’s uniform she had ever seen was twinkling in the morning sun. She looked up to the face above it. He was eating a mandarin orange from Sicily and as he bit into it the gold juice exploded in to his right eye. Olympe laughed too loud and the squinting captain turned with an angry grimace to see her. She covered her mouth with a gloved hand but could not stop laughing. That was when he smiled at her as he whipped his chin and tossed the now forgotten and ravaged orange overboard. The cedar gangway swayed as his impressive form sauntered down to the dock. He bowed and took her hand to kiss it. Olympe had just caught up with her girlfriends. The Captain would teach her to surpass them on the road to scandal in ways she could never imagine. She would remember always that that the first time he kissed her he smelled of a refined masculine Indonesian patchouli.

After he deserted her, and his bastard baby died there was no reason to stay in Marseilles. Her father wouldn’t have her in the house and tore here heart when he called her a whore. In Paris her luck changed. She went to work for a dress maker Prudence Duvernoy who as it turned out was in the business of turning out courtesans. Olympe had the kind of look that was popular with the aristocratic young men who haunted the Opera and in no time at all she was in demand. She was famous for her charm and dry wit. She was always laughing, never sad and very busy. For a brief time her only rival for business was a young courtesan by the name of Marguerite Gautier.

Only late at night when her clients were gone and she was thankfully alone at last and no one could see her would she let down her guard. In the ritual of preparing for bed she would peel a mandarin orange form Sicily and eat it. Then sitting at her vanity with her hair tied up in a hundred cotton bows to tighten the curls she would dab on her wrist, behind her ears and on her décolletage the rarest Indonesian Patchouli bought at a very great and dear price. On occasion as she inhaled the alluring seductive fragrance one tear would slide though the powder on her cheek to her chin and twinkle in the candlelight for a moment before it fell.

***************************
From La Collection Privée by Dior comes the stunningly melancholy and hauntingly beautiful Patchouli Imperial. This elegant perfume was created by François Demachy who is the nose behind so many incredible perfumes, Colonia Intensa, Dior Homme, Fan di Fendi, The lion’s share of the Privée line to just scrape the tip top of his the perfume career.

This enticing elixir is captivatingly designed to work well on men and women and envelope the wearer in a vale of oriental splendor that shimmers and vibrates with only a few well chosen notes. It opens with the majesty of the great bell at Notre Dame deep and resonating Indonesian Patchouli leaf that dominates the perfume. Smaller simultaneous notes ring in of Sicilian mandarin orange, Calabrian bergamot, Sandalwood, coriander and cedar. Blending together these wonderful notes play off of each other in the most complementary tones. It isn’t in any way symphonic and complicated like some great perfumes are but rather like chamber music for cathedral bells.

Patchouli Imperial wears so well and for a considerable time. I have had it on now for ten hours and it is yet to diminish in its blooming tendrils that like a tide move in and out and have been delighting me all day. It has a good projection too at about arms length for the first three to five hours and then moves in to be more personal at about ten inches.

Seductively inviting and not your grandparent’s patchouli of the 1960’s at all. There is so much more here in this refined and truly oriental patchouli than you would ever suspect if you only know the old hippie oils of the last century. There is a feeling I get when I wear it that it is as I mentioned, melancholy, not sad but more nostalgically romantic and filled with memories of first love before the world and fate stepped in to wake up the dreamer.

FIVE PLATINUM STARS *****

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Fragrantica classifies PI as a men fragrance, but I think it is unisex, and maybe leaning one tick on the feminine scale of unisex (ladies, just wear a little less as the patchouli in PI can be overpowering)--I bought a full bottle based on a first impression I sampled at Dior's, but after wearing it a few times I am convinced it is not fully masculine at all.

This is a straight forward, high-quality, strong patchouli fragrance, from the opening all the way to the dry down. It is all about Patchouli, so do run far and very far from this one if you don't like Patchouli. I don't notice different phases or characters of patchouli as PI wears off as people have described it. To me, the scent of Patchouli is very linear in PI. Looking at Fragrantica's list of scents, the sandalwood and the cedar are not apparent to me; if these scents are in PI, then they must be very well blended and have a scent-modifying role on the patchouli rather than a role of standing out as distinct scents--yes, the Patchouli here is refined and rounded, not as dirty and hippy like as Patchouli can be. I don't get the citrus scents either; if there are any, they must be playing a role of making the patchouli wetter and crispier in the opening. However, the coriander is very pronounced and lingers for a long while. It gives a clean earthy tone to the Patchouli. I do get a very strong, thick, and unrefined honey scent in this fragrance. Honey is not listed as a scent in PI and there may as well not be any, but there is a honey-like scent that sweetens PI quite a bit.

At the very very very end of PI's dry down(10 hours +), almost when the patchouli seems it will finally disappear from your skin, you smell very close to your skin and in an almost imperceptible way, something semi-sweet, warm and delightful that, for lack of a more trained nose, I would call a very light amber-like wood note...perhaps, is it that touch of sandalwood finally showing up at the end?....beautiful, then it disappears after 1 hour or so, and PI is history.

NOTE: I find that applying 2 sprays makes the other notes (sandalwood, citrus, etc) more detectable. If you apply 3 or more sprays, the patchouli suffocates the other notes.

If you like Patchouli as the central character in a fragrance, PI is for you.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

An earthy woody patchouli. Slightly powdery (like amber) on the dry down. The sillage and longevity are just average after a few sprays to the arm.

In the far distance you can faintly smell a little in common with Givenchy Gentlemen but it is way too distant to be excited about it.

Overall I don't hate this scent but it doesn't hold a candle to the great patchouli fragrances like vintage GG or Giorgio Beverly Hills.

I won't be purchasing this.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Very smart, elegant high quality Pachouli fragrance (without the old skool dirty earthy Hippie stereotype).

This works well as an office/ corporate smell if you dare to show some current-uptodate sophistication and a bit more daring personality without offending too much.
(just a little pushing the envelope, lol)

Very linear indeed, well there are only 3 ingredients:
Patchouli, Coriander and Sandalwood.
I love Sandalwood but it can be sometimes too dominant and prefer it for winter scents (Egoiste, Musc Ravageur, Joop!, etc..)

However, here the use of Sandalwood is moderate, just to add depth and a warm, balmy dimension to the green chypre dominance.

A very nice modern Patchouli with linear quality projection and development into a softer, warmer, woody dry dowm.

One of the Top 5 of this exclusive range.

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

smells of amber more then anything else

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

Wore this last night and was quite impressed. Found it to be rather linear, which was nice. The coriander on top really "classes" the patch up. The sandalwood has a nice sweetness to it. The word 'elegant' kept coming to mind. The patch here is not neutered, but it is balanced by the other notes. Going to wear it again and just might try to track a flacon down...

UPDATE: flacon tracked down :-) . i'm generally partial to filthy, dirty, hippie patchoulis, and this is a really classy alternative for when i want patch, but want to be refined. if you love patch, definitely try this out.

assih
assih

You should find it in main Dior own boutiques - usually located in selected areas but also in heathrow or CGD airports

dvbdvb
dvbdvb

where to buy this perfume? can't find it anywhere even in dior website

antonpan
antonpan

A high-end patchouli fragrance. The scent is strong and loud, I should say. Patchouli here is very prominent and natural, it is surrounded by typical of Dior exclusive fragrances noble woody notes. If you like patchouli, try this perfume, it's a classic!

La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial by Dior 4.06 out of 5 based on 69 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dior La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dior La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial by Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of La Collection Couturier Parfumeur Patchouli Imperial by Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.