Designers » D E » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Eau Duelle Diptyque for women and men

Eau Duelle Diptyque for women and men Pictures Eau Duelle Diptyque for women and men Pictures

Eau Duelle by Diptyque is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Eau Duelle was launched in 2010. The nose behind this fragrance is Fabrice Pellegrin. The fragrance features cardamom, elemi resin, olibanum, bergamot, pink pepper, juniper, saffron, black tea, musk, ambergris and bourbon vanilla.

Cardamom Elemi resin Olibanum Bergamot Pink Pepper Juniper Saffron Black Tea Musk Ambergris Bourbon Vanilla

Eau Duelle Fragrance Reviews

JessDrew
JessDrew

What a lovely, boozy, smoky, vanilla scent! To me, Eau Duelle (EDT) smells like vanilla beans and cardamom in a campfire. I also sense a little bit of tartness from this, most likely from the bergamot. It is mostly sweet and the vanilla is what shines the most on me, but there is a smokiness and slight woodiness to this that prevent it from being too cloying.

Eau Duelle is a scent that I believe would be pleasing to most people's noses. It is inoffensive and it doesn't project much, so I like to wear this at work during the day. People do smell it when they hug me, but they have often commented on how great I smell or have asked me what I'm wearing. (Eau Duelle happens to be a favorite of my significant other.) It doesn't last more than 4 hours on my skin, but it lasts all day and night when I spray this on my clothing.

Scissorslizardspock
Scissorslizardspock

This is such a soft, pretty vanilla. I would describe this as a slightly spiced melted French vanilla ice cream. Very comforting and cozy. It wants to get a bit resinous, but doesn't quite get there. I don't smell any of the individual notes other than the vanilla and occasional pepper note. I can't imagine that any vanilla lover wouldn't enjoy this. It's so soft, pleasant, and does not smell at all foodie to me. Just a lovely daily easy to wear interesting vanilla. Wear time is short, 4 hours on skin, a bit longer on clothes.

landshark321
landshark321

My first Diptyque review, I don't recall being especially drawn to Eau Duelle when casually smelling a bunch of Diptyques, but this seems to have a good reputation as a vanilla/incense blend.

edit ***This is for the EDT version, not the EDP.

The signature note is vanilla, but other notes of note are cardamom, saffron, and of course, olibanum / incense. I don't quite regard it as a gourmand as the vanilla is the only sweet / food aspect of it, the incense playing second fiddle but still being impossible to ignore.

As with YT reviewer dracdoc, I don't find that this has much evolution to it at all, remaining the same harmonious blend throughout its life.

The downside of this type of blend is that it could be argued as either too spicy or too sweet, and while I find that it leans sweet, it's a good pairing.

Performance is great for a niche EDT, as it projects quite a bit early on and doesn't slow down, lasting a while. I seem to get better performance out of it than the consensus here, so go figure.

At $90 for 50ml / $125 for 100ml, it's decently pricey but not for its performance, which is unusually strong for an EDT (I'd be curious to try the $150 for 75ml EDP). Nonetheless, this strikes me as fitting into the category of needing to like it a lot in order to buy it. I'm not sure how the EDP option fares, by comparison.

Overall, I'm not nearly as moved by it as I am by another vanilla/incense mix, the celebrated Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser, which I find to be a more interesting, unique composition. Another close comparison is to L'Occitane Eau Des Baux, a simpler vanilla/incense combo without the saffron and cardamom of Eau Duelle, and EDB is much cheaper, a surprisingly strong EDT at $60 for 100ml. I prefer the variance of EDB and MOAT to Eau Duelle, overall.

So while Eau Duelle is pleasant overall, I won't be pursuing a bottle of it as long as MOAT and EDB are around.

7 out of 10

DBF85
DBF85

Soft scent that whispers!

This perfume is like a stunning shy girl, when she's in a room you notice her even if she dosen't speak.

I find it to be a good change from the loud girls I know (Halfeti, Ambre Sultan & YSL's Splendid Wood) even thou I enjoy them.

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

A pretty, powdery vanilla with an interesting herbaceous undertone. Soft, light; a pleasing contrast of soft vanilla with cool herbs. There's also a delicate undertone of saltiness. A subtle, transparent vanilla, not too sweet. Velvety and refined. It's a bit *too* transparent though; being an eau it's really light. I barely feel like I'm wearing anything. If it was a bit stronger (or cheaper) I would definitely add this to my "To Buy" list but as it is I can't justify spending money on this.

mothwings
mothwings

This is so GORGEOUS but so WEAK I mean what the hell?? TT__TT I would totally be buying this asap if it didn't immediately turn into a whisper of a skin scent and then totally evaporate in no time.

Perfectashka
Perfectashka

EDT vs EDP review, I have EDT version of this perfume which I really like, I've received EDP sample recently, so was comparing them. Just when you spray EDP it smells a bit louder than EDT but smell itself is the same. And EDP lasts maybe for 30min longer. So practically it's cheaper to buy EDT version of this. Save your cash for other bottles :)

dmetzger
dmetzger

***Eau De Parfum***
(The all black label and smoke colored bottle)

I had such high hopes. I wanted to love this enough to replace my Givenchy Pi as it is slowly being reformulated out of relevance. Even being "positively pre-disposed", at first encounter and spray, I shrugged so hard I pulled a muscle.

Within 5 minutes, I forgot where I sprayed it. It was that soft. The scent I could get was a nice vanilla with some spices, but it wasn't potent enough as an EDP to be detectable without literally smashing my nose in my forearm like a total weirdo.

Sigh :0/ this kind of performance is not acceptable for a $20 fragrance, let alone a $150 for 2.5oz bottle. No sir.

Scent: uhh, 6/10? 9/10? 3/10? I don't know. It's so soft that I can't accurately gauge it.

Projection: 0/10.

Sillage: 0/10.

Longevity: 0.2/10 while yes I can still smell it 8 hours later if I find a place of Zen and imagine it still being there...in practicality, it was pointless to wear after 5 minutes.

Would I buy a full bottle: absolutely not.
Would I like one as a gift: no...not really...and I'd have a hard time pretending to be thrilled if I saw a Dyptique box and this popped out.

emyalda
emyalda

Such a beautiful vanilla, not too sweet and not at all synthetic smelling
The combo with cardamon is so comforting and fresh.
And there also lingers a slight smokiness in the dry down.

otterfaces
otterfaces

I am not typically a vanilla fan, but I love this! I particularly love to layer with it, because the sillage is soft but the longevity is amazing on me- I'm talking 24 hours here.

My favourites to layer this one with are Paul Smith Rose (I smell like a fancy French vanilla-rose macaron) and Diptyque Tam Dao (perfect for a cuppa in front of the wood burning stove with a book and a big wooly jumper, mmmm).

rum
rum

As with all Diptyque fragrances, which are art in their own right, a review of Eau Duelle needs its own background in order to better understand its intention.

The name in French suggests a duel or fight between two opposing groups or individuals, as another reviewer has so aptly explained. In reality, this fragrance could equally be called Ebony and Ivory or Two Shades of Vanilla. And it is indeed all about the vanilla; but it is more than that as well. Two opposing forces of vanilla fight for survival in this celebration of one of the world's oldest commodities. One minute, I get a tea/incense-laden vanilla (compare to an unsweetened Epic Man by Amouage) and the next I detect a sweet vanilla that is good enough to eat.

Neither gets too cloying or overpowering at any one time. And it is also hard to see which of the two wins - because this scent (in the EdP) just lasts and lasts, even after a shower.

A certain thumbs up that has taken me a while to come to try but one that has been an eye opener to the wonder that is vanilla. And not a drop of Amber in sight!

susanawaddell
susanawaddell

I agree with minty mouth that there is definately some jasmine or similar floral note in here. One of my favorites in this line and a fave vanilla. I smell vanilla jasmine benzoin

nathalie87
nathalie87

I have to say this again... this remindes me so much of cacharel - gloria! Brings back nice memories!:-)

MissGabrielleO
MissGabrielleO

I generally don't do vanilla perfumes (too much cheap Vanilla when I was a teenager!) but my boyfriend loves this on me. It smells like a cozy winter, however, instead of like a birthday cake. The spices, particularly the cardamom, make me think of an open hearth in a newly cold November or early December. It actually reminds me (and several of my friends) of what someone's expensive house smells like. If fragrance were color, this one is oxblood or deep burgundy, perhaps with accents of blackwatch plaid (for that holiday note). If fragrance were a texture, this would be thick cashmere.

Sillage is great and longevity is wondeful - 6-8 hours on my skin, far longer on clothes. This is a sexy fragrance that I won't wear during the day, and certainly never anywhere I want to be perceived as a nice girl (I'll stick with rose for those occasions). Rather, this is a great holiday date night fragrance, or wonderful for spritzing on cashmere for a sexy night in. I look forward to wearing it again this autumn.

Xango
Xango

A lovely, spicy and somewhat incens-y vanilla I could easily wear in a desert summer. Has a few minutes of playdough-scent right after drydown but thankfully, on me, this only lasts a few minutes before focusing on the spice. :) Note that I tried the EDT in dry, summer heat.

Update - 8 hours in and I've lost the spice, but the vanilla is out of this world. This is not for gourmand-cupcake-lovers- this is a grown up scent and somewhat reminiscent to Le Labo's Vanille 44, in that "fun, lowbrow cousin" sort of way. Vanille 44 screams Paris chic... Eau Duelle is more like Chicago, lol.

celticelle
celticelle

I made the mistake recently after testing the EDT version of buying the EDP, and they're very different perfumes in style. The EDP has much more emphasis on the vanilla, it's deeper, and is mainly a vanilla for the winter season.

The EDT has a lighter and airier vanilla note, and the green notes such as the juniper and the tea are much stronger, especially in its initial top notes phase. This is a vanilla perfume that could be worn in spring and summer. Somehow you don't feel like you're drowning in thick cake batter vanilla as you do in so many others. I think the EDT, although slightly less expensive, is the superior scent. Just be aware of the difference!

CeeLeeBee
CeeLeeBee

Lovely, comforting vanilla for a chilly day, but I don't think I'll invest in a full bottle. It's nice, but not very distinctive. I've smelled a lot of similar vanillas, and I don't think I would be able to pick Eau Duelle out in a line up. It's a nice scent, though, and I will happily continue to use my sample.

stephanieklein
stephanieklein

There is a clay quality to this scent. It smells, if anyone has worked with this, of FIMO DOUGH, used to make beads. Similar to that sting you find in old-school traditional bubble gum flavor. Maybe people find it comforting because it smells like a pre-school, with construction paper, glue, and funky crafts.

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Beautiful perfume. is dynamic,sexy... it's a fragrance which takes you away, between shadows and highlights. Vanilla is very impressive here,but it's not sugary,rather it is a definite class vanilla, combined with other notes creates a mysterious and sexy vortex. Projection is soft, and good longevity. It is not a complex, but its simplicity makes it great, and that everyone should have. Amongst the most beautiful scents of Diptyque in my opinion. Very beautiful.

Sillage: 6./10
Longevity: 8./10
Scent: 8./10

Overall: 8./10

Matt Abdul
Matt Abdul

Love this. It's a very warm, creamy vanilla scent.

We don't have it in my state so when I was travelling to the capital city of my country Kuala Lumpur. The place where you can get almost everything I don't let the chance to get away and I tried it.

Well, I like it. But I think this kind of scent is too common. Smell it on Midnight In Paris VCArpel, Dior Addict EDP, Hypnotic Poison. It's not 100% the same. But 80% of the vibe are same.

For the last 2 years my experience in perfumery has evolved and now I know how important it is to find a perfume that makes you feel really outstanding and a scent that once you smell it, it connects with your heart and soul.

Chemistry with your skin that's the other story.What's important is the scent that really capture not just your attention but also your soul attention. In my case Coco Mademoiselle Chanel & L'Absolu La Vie Est Belle Lancome did that. I feel the scent really connected with my soul.

Well this Eau Duelle, I like it. But it doesn't capture my soul attention. So I think I'll pass this one. Since I have Midnight In Paris VCArpel so adding another different brand but same scent with 3 times more expensive price tag in my perfume collection is not a good move for me.

But if you don't have Midnight In Paris VCA or any Dior vanilla backbone perfumes in your collection and you're looking for vanilla scent. Yes, go for this one. It is Lovely !!!

Kai'elle
Kai'elle

Lovely creamy, warm vanilla with a gentle calming spice.

There is no complex development in this perfume...no waiting to see what it will do next. But that is what I love about it...its one of the few that will give me exactly what I am expecting time and time again. Its like a snuggle in safe arms :)

L: Moderate
S: Soft

kwh
kwh

Eau Duelle is a beautiful fragrance. It's a fresh but warm vanilla. It opens with a pure real vanilla smell on my skin, but then the woodsy and herbal aspects come out to play a bit. It's very soft, comforting, and snuggly.

Unfortunately, after an hour or so something starts to go a little off on my skin. The soft lovely notes start to recede and an unpleasant smell starts to come in. I've had the same thing happen with other fragrances, and I suspect it's a problem with a particular kind of musk because that seems to be the common element. I intend to try it in a scent locket at some point, because it really is lovely until the musk goes wrong. I don't expect to buy it again once my bottle is gone, though, because as nice as it is, it's not extraordinary to me. There are other vanilla fragrances in a similar vein that are comparable or lower in price and don't have the dreaded musk effect.

Besiana
Besiana

Oh, Duelle! You make me relax. I am seated in the comfiest chair at a beautiful cafe. I am drinking an unsweetened masala chai and closing my eyes. The tea and spices blend together with the cafe door opening. In comes a dash of London smoke and the tiny pine tree next to the door. Suddenly someone orders a vanilla cake. Eau Duelle smells comforting and subtle, it has a whole story around it, a whole city. It is sophisticated and delicate, just like I want life to be.

ZinniaX
ZinniaX

I love this scent so much... love the combination of vanilla and burnt wood...soothing, comforting yet mystical and unique. Unfortunately it gives me a headache.

seamav
seamav

Yes, my first impression was very similar to Dior bois d'argent. Delicious and soft and warm but complex

LauraB613
LauraB613

A deep, spiced vanilla. Very beautiful and long-lasting. I think the description of a "green vanilla" does fit very well. I should mentioned, this review is for the EDP - I do have an EDT sample and it is a different blend. The vanilla is much richer in the EDP version.

Gokhanburak53
Gokhanburak53

Is it just me or someone find similarities with this one and dior bois d'argent? especially in the base notes.

arrode
arrode

A light, cardamom-infused vanilla with a hint of vetiver. I am surprised there isn't a note of vetiver listed because I can absolutely smell it in here. A little bit on the spicy side, but it's light enough to wear all times of the year.

vallensvelvet
vallensvelvet

A clean, airy vanilla. Not too sweet, and very unisex. This opens with a big fresh blast of gin and tonic, then a lovely cardamom before the vanilla enters and it settles into a lovely cool, almost green, vanilla underlayed with spices and soft incense. It's unusual in vanilla-centric perfumes for taking that unisex, austere path; and that's what I love about it. It has all the creamy charm of vanilla but without smelling cliche. Works great in summer, especially; I always feel like it goes particularly well with a white linen dress.

nhsrk
nhsrk

Smells like what it feels like to be sitting inside an unlit candle. There's a waxy quality to this perfume. It's resinous and sits close to the skin. The vanilla dominates. Not something I'd wear or purchase, but someone else might enjoy this for the vanilla.

Hoolly
Hoolly

Fantastic, comforting, happy vanilla scent! It is so sophisticated and feminine! The best scent of Diptyque house. LOVE IT!

Beauté_Orientale
Beauté_Orientale

Agree with previous reviewer it's more a layering scent. Sits close to skin, perfume lasts much longer than toilette

Bashholt

Beautiful scent by I get more of a candle aromatherapy vibe from this whole house. Eau Duelle is the most wearable, but I think it's be as a layer scent. I got board with this scent.....it is extremely linear. I get the playdough vibe someone mentioned earlier.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

I must say that I'm shocked at the equal amount of female and male reviewers.. This is kind of a first for me seeing this. Even though most fragrances today claim to be unisex, most IMO are either leaning more towards masculine or feminine..However this fancy jewel can be divided right down the middle.. Excellent scent, and easily an everyday signature scent for a male or female.. Very boozy! An adult vanilla like something you would taste baked in a liquor infused confection over the holidays.. It's a sexy comfort scent that will keep you smelling the spritz points, as well as your clothing that might have absorbed some of it's essence..It also has the spices, and smells to me in the initial spray like a 'woodsy' vanilla, however as it drys down it slowly mellows into boozy vanilla bliss.. I own the EDP and adore for the fall and winter..

Buysblind
Buysblind

My favorite vanilla scent. Eau Duelle features a rich, unsweetened vanilla blended with incense, tea and dry woods. I get the impression of something very gray and earthy when I wear Eau Duelle, almost mineralic, as if hot vanilla tea is being poured over smoky stones by a campfire in the woods. Still, this is very much a vanilla scent, and the vanilla is healthy and robust, so it features the naturally sweet qualities of vanilla but in no way has it been "artificially" sweetened. There is nothing sugary in Eau Duelle or anything that smells unnaturally cute. My review is for the EDT, and while I know an EDP has been released and by all accounts is very good, I like the EDT so much I have no desire for anything different. Still, it can't hurt to check out both versions before making a purchase. Projection is average but solid, longevity is very good at 8 to 10 hours. Thumbs up, and an easy 9/10 rating for this one.

Crystals On My Converse
Crystals On My Converse

If you sat vanilla in the woods and burned it round a camp fire this would be what it smells like!

Shoota#1
Shoota#1

This scent is amazing! Stopped by Nordstrom and I took a whiff of this scent. I bought Bobbi Brown Beach but the samples of this cologne has been the winner! This will be in my collection very soon! Vanilla with smooth spices with some citrus notes. The colologne mixes very well with my body chemistry and it does not take much!

jockinjb
jockinjb

If you are ever in Vegas, and happen to walk into the Aria resort, you will smell something eerily similar to this. All of the hotels have Aromatherapy, and this is with out a doubt the scent twin of Aria.

HHelle
HHelle

This is an anomaly in a field of candied vanilla.

It isn't too sweet, but is definitely vanilla, and it isn't too spicy, but definitely has spice. It also has a touch of English Breakfast Tea (with milk), and a wisp of smoky woods.

On my skin, it lasts and lasts.

Oddly enough, when sprayed on my clothes, it smells like vanilla Playdough.

Which is fine by me.

hsheep
hsheep

I'm very happy I got to try this (the EDP), the scent really speaks to the quality of ingredients. I can tell it's quite high, there's nothing sharp about this one.

The scent is soft and sits as purely a skin scent on me with no projection, but it does last 5-6 hours. It has the vanilla of Guerlain SDV and Cologne of the Missions, but it also has a giant dollop of green mixed in, a very grassy sort that makes it very unisex. For me, it's only a like, as the greeness turns it a touch masculine. I prefer a more floral and feminine vanilla along the lines of Vanilla Orchidee. This one is just a bit too fresh for me.

nero77
nero77

Vanilla Spice...

Eau Duelle is a spicy vanilla fragrance, but this spices are not ones you would typically expect in the style of the feminine orientals like Shalimar, Opium etc. Instead... Eau Duelle has what I call "green" spices, like cardamom & herbs. These feature juniper, pink pepper, elemi resin (which to me smells "juicy") and olibanum (frankincense). I think this makes it different, and versatile in many different ways. In can be worn by a man, as I think the vanilla is balanced with the dry herbs and spices here. It can of course be worn by a woman equally well.

Note: I am reviewing the Eau de Toilette

I don't find this one too "gourmand" but I think it will appeal to people looking for a gourmand and those who are not alike. This is one I could wear happily in my collection. A really great choice for an interesting take on vanilla. Unisex and worth a try for everyone out there.

dooeypie
dooeypie

my fave scent ever! and my boyfriend loves it on me

ameliamay
ameliamay

A balanced, sophisticated vanilla. Not food-like or cheap, but soft and inoffensive. Starts off powdery and herbal in a drinkable way, like a satchet of dried black tea. As it wears on, I receive strong hits of sticky resins and vanilla bean. It's a comforting scent that I like to tuck my nose into after spraying it into a winter scarf. Lasts on my clothes 2-3 days, on my skin for maybe 3 hours. Wore this every day for nearly a year, and didn't receive a single compliment. Not that compliments are always the indicator for a good perfume, but just to say it's rather forgettable, and the projection is weak. In any case, it's a good work/school scent and it's something I'd be happy smelling on someone's throat when I get close to them. No complaints.

Deefit
Deefit

@pepperoniann:

Check the notes for Volutes on their website, and then check them here. I've even seen a photograph of a card given to selected resellers with information about both Volutes EDT and EDP, that shows some different notes entirely. It's not carved in stone, these note representations are interpretations of what one COULD smell, not of the actual ingredients. Presuming somebody is right because he is an authority isn't the best way to go in general. ;-)

Here is the link to the card I mentioned: s979.photobucket.com/user/CorruptedSanity/media/parfum/b2c0cd8a08cf32f9b0106a5871ee3086.jpg.html

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

MintyMouth:

Exactly as you said; the notes you wrote aren't official, merely an opinion. Pepperoniann has a much trusted opinion around here.

Hey Minty Mouth:

Cool. Unfortunately they're far off for this one. I checked the nose.fr website. It's a fragrance boutique. Unless they tell me they're running the analyzes using molecular distillation techniques and figuring out the proportion of each molecule like IFFA I'll stick with Diptyque's official information as well as experience from dozens of very experienced (10yr+) perfume bloggers and thousands of Fragranticans. The heart of this perfume is NOT leather, jasmine and cinnamon. That's for sure. You can give Tom Ford Jasmine Rouge a sniff if you want to know how that smells.

I'm sorry if I sound assertive but this is one of my favourite perfumes and I'd like to keep information on the notes accurate :P

@Pepperoniann

I contacted Nose Paris via email and they told me their personal in-store perfumer analyses fragrances. (S)he is the source of the notes I listed from their website, nose.fr. The notes aren't official, but they are the opinion of what is ostensibly a pro.

candidenise
candidenise

I have the EDT version. I had no intention on buying this scent, and actually was going to purchase Do Son, but I fell into this by mistake. I wasn't sure I liked it at first because of the pepper smell, but the more I wear this, the more I love it! I wear this to work and all day I feel happy when I smell it. I am so happy I found this!
I think this is a vanilla perfume for grown women. So sexy...

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

the notes sound so lovely (vanilla, musk, juniper, black tea, amber), but sadly, Eau Duelle on me smells like a carboard box. disappointing.

pepperoniann

@Minty Mouth I'm not sure where you got the notes, but this is the official note pyramid of Eau Duelle from all major websites:

Cardamom, Asian cyprus, elemi, juniper, saffron, calamus, black tea, black African olibanum, amber, Firnat Vanilla, Bourbon Vanilla, white musk.

There is absolutely not lavender and cinnamon in this one. I'm quite sensitive to those notes and I can tell. I do understand the combination of juniper and cyprus can give a spicy herbal smell like natural lavender. That's probably what you're smelling.

Minty Mouth

Wearing this for the first time, today, and on my first spray I was immediately reminded of Rochas Man - or, more to the point, how Rochas Man would smell if it were less synthetic. I guess it's the vanilla + lavender combination. Here, however, the two are much more natural and far less sweet, leaving a more sophisticated impression. I prefer it by a long shot to not only the Rochas creation, but also any other vanilla I've tried. I do wish, though, that the spices up top were more prominent, and the benzoin down below less sweet.

The more detailed notes on Nose.fr are as follows:

Top: pink pepper, basil, bergamot, cardamom, lavender, mandarin
Heart: cinnamon, leather, jasmine
Base: amber, benzoin, cedar, musk, sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver

Lilithorvat
Lilithorvat

I don't even know how to properly describe this scent, nor do I feel any of my words can do it justice for how beautiful it is. I can't stand when a fragrance gets popular, but I hate admitting that It is popular for a reason.

This is beauty in a bottle. The perfect vanilla gourmand with just the right amount of spice to make it nice... ;) Not too sweet, and not at all bland. Savory.

The price tag is justified.
The bottle is a lovely representation of the unique elixir within.
This is unlike anything I have ever smelled, no, experienced. Eau Duelle will be the ultimate acquisition of my wardrobe.

Update: a month later, still love this. Trying the EDP: I smell the juniper and tea with spice, the vanilla gives it that creamy base. Overall I am smelling the woods at Christmas time, kinda of makes me nostalgic for the forest actually, it smells a bit like here in fact, the Oregon woods of Portland, even though there aren't woods listed, I smell the forest in such a beautiful aroma...this fragrance is so hard to describe but very memory evoking. It's another "forget the notes listed" and just experience it and reminisce!

[email protected]
gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr

i love this fragrance, i bought the EDP, it is better than edt in longevity, it is the second signature perfume for me. the first is shalimar...

ZiZu
ZiZu

I love spices. I use combinations when I cook and the taste and smell is wonderful. But in Eau Duelle EDT they are a bit overwhelming. I even felt the back of my throat tingling and burning a little. The drydown is so lovely when vanilla starts to emerge; it is creamy, not too sweet, natural smelling. The sillage is moderate to low but the longevity is a good 12+ hours. I may have to try the EDP to decide if I like it or not and also try it in cold weather.
Edited to add: OK, I tried the EDP and it is so much better. Still peppery but that note quickly gets way milder and lets the vanilla breathe. I am definitely getting a bottle of this.

lilalina
lilalina

Lovely vanilla based scent, peppery.. smoky, dry woods. Natural vibe and lovely sweet.

acidnbase
acidnbase

I always wanted to have a vanilla scent that i could wear even on hotter days, Eau Duelle fits the bill.. It's not overly sweet, not cloying but just right in every aspect

cool_sparkling_water
cool_sparkling_water

I would like this vanilla fragrance so much more (perhaps even a favorite) if it wasn't for the strong and obtrusive pepper note. Thankfully, it does mellow out with time but still not enough for my liking. Regardless of the pepper, I'm really loving the warm vanilla scent here, it's definitely a vanilla perfume. The blend is complex, with hints of black tea, slightly spicy and resiny, not very sweet and overall very comforting. I also like that, except for the pepper, all the notes are well-blended and cohesive and very much enhance the vanilla. Something about the base smells familiar but I can't pinpoint exactly what.

Among the vanilla perfumes, this one (aside from the pepper) behaves nicely I think, good sillage and longevity. I would say this is unisex..

perfumeproblem777
perfumeproblem777

Lovely vanilla, kind of what I was expecting atelier vanille incensee to smell like. It's woodsy, slightly sweet, and quite cozy. I can detect the resin really well on my skin, which makes for an unexpected combination, which is refreshing. I definitely want a bottle.of the edp, but I have to get rid of some other bottles first. Can't do it fast enough! This scent must be part of my scent family asap.
Keep shining, you beautiful people!

june7rose

Just got the EDP. I figure I'll go back and forth between this and the Mandorlo di Sicilia. The tester always seems to smell better than the bottle when you get it home, I'm thinking artificial light brings out vanilla notes, I've noticed it before. So it's going on the bathroom counter for a little bit to try to wake it up.

I've smelled this before, but never pulled the trigger on buying it, mostly because of the price. But yesterday I was in Nordstrom and realized everyone was staring because I'd been walking around the store for 10 minutes with the tester strip pressed to my nose. I think I must like it. LOL That doesn't happen often for me.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

This reminded me of vanilla essence at first, as it has a kind of medicinal and alcoholic undertone.

Thankfully, Eau Duelle is much better on the skin. Although at first it's quite a syrupy and heavy smell, it's never cloying, it's just comforting and cozy. My skin starts to bring out a little more of the spices, mainly cardamom, before finally settling into something airier, lighter, but always with that backdrop of resins and vanilla. Vanilla always seems to be terrible on my skin, so I'm happy that there's no problems here.

Soft sillage, but mostly lies quite close to the skin; longevity is for about 5-6 hours. I'm not quite taken with this scent yet, so maybe it will perform better in the summer :)

archivist
archivist

I find this super spicy, which ordinarily is the last thing I'd ever complain about (I'm a spicy kind of girl), but there were things in the promised notes that I really wanted to be able to smell more clearly - the ambergris and the saffron above all. I get mostly juniper, cardamom, and pepper in the opening, with the saffron emerging more in the middle but still hard to find under that pile of sneezy ground pepper. Any time a perfume makes the back of my throat feel burny when I'm huffing hard at it, I figure that for too much dang pepper - and pepper is incredibly resilient, if you get a ton of it in the open, it's going to be there until the end. Because I really dislike ground black pepper in my perfume, particularly in such quantities that you have to work at finding the other notes, this one is a non-starter for me.

Vanilla, black pepper, cardamom. SO much black pepper. My skin must amplify that because yikes.

Falco4758
Falco4758

I've been searching for this scent for a long time. I finally found it. I am a male by the way. This is just amazing.The opening you could describe it as if you opened up a old chess board that has been sitting in a attic for decades, and somehow had vanilla pods in it, and you had a very mild incense burning in the background. Just stunning! Then the vanilla takes over for me in the dry down, but its not too sweet just perfect, I can't stop smelling my wrist. This scent last 12+ on my skin, longer than any other fragrance I've ever had. This almost becomes like a second skin. I smell this next to my designers and it makes them smell laughable, this is so complex.I think the edp version is for women only as you lose the masculine spicy opening. Finally found the scent I've been searching for !

kera_5j
kera_5j

Absolutely lovely vanilla scent. Opens with a spicy vanilla, which slowly blooms into a soft, powdery version of itself, that's magnified by the spicy, enveloping, and peppery undertones of pepper, cardamom and musk.

An absolutely elegant take on vanilla-- which many fragrances try to capture but few succeed to do so well.

pepperoniann

@Readysniffer1 Olibanum is also called frankincense, which is a type of incense, so your nose is not off at all :)!

Jellybean
Jellybean

wow this is one beautiful, classy vanilla! Not too sweet nor cloying. Light, sensual, bright, clean with touch of herbal essence, nice take on vanilla, I like it.
It warms up on the skin, stays wonderful till the end, warm vanilla and clean musk. Simply great. I would definitely recommend as I will be getting this beauty soon myself.

MARFUOFFICIAL
MARFUOFFICIAL

Love this scent but now I prefer Initio Absolute Aphrodisiac (It is very similar).

mlxo7
mlxo7

EDT: First comes the onslaught of peppery freshness and spice (totally agree with whoever said it's like a gin & tonic), but fast forward 5 minutes and I was getting beautiful wafts of a stunning vanilla coming from my wrist. WOW. From my wrist emanated this incredibly unique blend of herbal spiciness enveloped by a stunning vanilla. It plagued my thoughts for the next 2 days until I had a chance to purchase the 100ml bottle (great deal btw, only $28 AUD more than the 50ml). Each time I spray this I am in heaven, it only takes 5-10 minutes for the spice to calm down and the vanilla to come through and that is my favourite part. This has become an instant favourite.

DOWNSIDES: Projection. Really not good on my dry, perfume eating skin. People can smell it on me in the first 30mins - 1hour but after that no one can, including myself. And this is even with a good 6 sprays (sometimes even more). This is SUCH a shame because the scent is just too beautiful. If I put my nose to my wrist I can smell it, but I prefer to get wafts of a fragrance without having to do that. Longevity is decent - 5hrs or so.

UPDATE: EDP is stunning. Pretty similar to the scent of EDT but the bourbon vanilla is richer and sweeter in EdP but the fragrance still retains the spiciness of the EDT. The EDT is a greener, fresher, more herbal scent, but still has a beautiful vanilla. If the EDT were stronger I probably wouldn't need the EDP. But I really enjoy wearing both together. They're different enough to warrant their own pages on here for sure.

pepperoniann

Juniper + Vanilla + Cardamom. Blended well. Spray.

This is my dream come true...abide a little bit too short-living!

If not for its short longevity on my skin (~ 3 hrs) Eau Duelle EDT will be my daily go-to. I like wacky green/woody vanilla scent and on that note Eau Duelle is on par with Atelier's Vanille Insensee. Both scents are very aromatic and unsweetened, but Eau Duelle wins first because of the enormous amount of peppery cardamon and a lively fresh tint of juniper like cold spring breeze... Mmm! Let's not forget then the elemi that makes Eau Duelle woody and cozy. But in the end Vanille Insensee lasts longer. Both dry down to neutral, vanilla-essence type of skin scent.

People have mentioned how getting the EDP solves the longevity problem, but when I tried the EDP last time it was drastically different from EDT: the EDP was a much deeper, heavy scent infused with lots of frankincense. I couldn't detect the greenness and hence was quite disappointed.

Diptyque, can you please make some Eau Duelle lotion? I swear I'll be the first one to buy it (along with lots of other perfumistas here)!

andabri
andabri

So I have samples of both the EDT and EDP and they are VASTLY different on my skin.

EDT is spicy, peppery, fresh herbal vanilla. I can smell the juniper and the cardamom hits heavy in it.

EDP is deep, slightly bourbon vanilla and beautiful resin with a spicy aromatic edge. Sultry vanilla.

EDP is definitely the way to go if you're looking for a more gourmand scent. EDT is like a spicy aromatic cologne.

Martaynd
Martaynd

First my comments about Diptyque in general!! I did myself a disservice. Avoided the line for many many years! And I have now figured out why; I did the sniff test of different perfumes by Diptyque from the bottle and on paper. My advice:That is NOT the way to test Diptyque fragrances. They must be tested on the skin. I own at least 200 different perfumes. This is my passion! Diptyque is one of the fragrance lines that does not stay true to what you smell in the bottle, and what your body chemistry does is not what it smells like on paper. This is the very thing that fascinates me and what I love about the art of fragrance. Some fragrances you want to smell on you exactly as they smell out of the bottle, because that's what attracted you in the first place. But other fragrances you want to take you on a journey. You want it to eb and flow, rise and fall and take you places that you can only go with a fragrance, odor, smell, scent. And that's what Diptyque fragrances do. They take you on olfactory journeys.

Eau Duelle EDP: was looking for a transition fragrance from winter to spring. Stumbled on this one. Surprised to see the reviews have it favored more for winter than for spring/summer. Maybe that's because of it's pronounced vanilla note.

This one is brand-new in my collection and I will have to wear it a while before I can get a full sense of the journey it takes me on. But for now I mostly smell vanilla and spice. And I like it. (Thinking that I wanted more floral and less spice.)

40plus&fab
40plus&fab

I just got my purse spray of the EDT in the mail and I must say I'm experiencing a mix of contradictory feeling about this. It opens beautifully, with a rich balsamic vanilla, I thought this might tiptoe into gourmie-land. But in short time, I got this smell of warm sweet rubber. The analogy is strange but it is like a carton of cheap, half melted, warmish, foamy vanilla ice cream (if you can envision that) and bicycle tires stored in a hot bin. I've NEVER EVER gotten a "sick" feeling from a frag but this concoction caused a suffocating nausea to sweep over me. Anyway I decided to wait it out and sniff only sparingly. The rubber smell receded a bit but that suffocatingly sweet foamy ice-cream stayed and so did my sick feeling. Sad because there is something in Eau Duelle that has my nose intrigued. :-(

Homershippo
Homershippo

I just got a sample of this in the mail. I was really excited to try it out, as I LOVE vanilla type fragrances. This to me is VERY spicy. The most predominant note I get from this is pepper! I feel like I've doused myself in pepper, there's only a slight vanilla undertone when I smell on my skin. Usually my skin amplifies vanillas. Apparently it like pepper too!

Cyrus Smith
Cyrus Smith

This vanilla theme fragrance has a natural feel and is quite enjoyable. Compared to other vanilla fragrances it might appear tone down but the only thing that comes to mind is... real.
Like purchasing a vanilla pod, the aroma in the tube. Half sweet, half herbal... sometimes a little medicinal. The beauty of Eau Duelle is that duality of sweet vs not really. The expected sweetness seems to be balanced by resin, cardamom & pepper.

Even though I love some of Tom Ford's offerings I am one of the few that cannot stand Tobacco Vanille. To me, the vanilla in TF'sTV is just too much. The fragrance doesn't complete you, it sweeps away everything around you (that's just my personal opinion!).
But Eau Duelle is a fair compromise. Far from being a gourmand, more balsamic to me than aromatic. But then... might be more aromatic... Well there is the cardamom...
You see, that Eau Duelle (duel has in duality, fight, combat, etc.) it lives up to its name!
If you love vanilla... simply have a try!

BigGulps
BigGulps

Wow.. I sampled this yesterday at Neiman Marcus along with Tam Dao, Vol Tu Es & 34. This one stood out among all of them. It smells exactly like Le Labo Vanille 44. It is a beautiful vanilla woody fragrance, but is also has this old library smell. I have samples of the EDP, but unfortunately it does not last long at all. I am a man by the way and can definitely pull this off so I will be picking up a bottle.

virga
virga

This vanilla scent is a paradox – spicy, yet creamy; rich and resinous, but light and bright. Very elegant, but friendly and lovely; wearable, but somehow exclusive. Suitable for office, day or night, male or female. Going to my wish list.

kitschwitch
kitschwitch

Typically, I am not into vanilla scents. They kind of remind me of buying Bath and Body Works prodcuts when I was in middle school. But this scent is a total game changer. This scent is very warm, cozy, and most importantly - sensual. This is a very grown up vanilla - like if you went on a hot and heavy date and split a milkshake that was spiked with a top shelf dark cuban rum. Its very delicious. The dry down is very incense laden. It's a very sexy vanilla, but also very wearable. I wouldn't hesitate to wear this during the day as well.

gpesav
gpesav

I was so excited to try this one. Many reviews I've read, prior to purchasing a sample, said that Eau Duelle was THE perfume that made them fall in love with Diptyque. When I sprayed this on, I literally could not smell a thing, well...scratch that, I smelt a very faint vanilla, but that's it. I like my scents light, but not that light.

HBW44
HBW44

Diptyque know how to keep it natural. I love guessing the notes in their fragrances. This is a light, sweet but not gourmand vanilla. The vanilla is in the top notes but remains throughout. Normally I'm a fan of vanilla basenotes that are dark and sensual. This vanilla is very refreshing, light and maybe even 'cold' at first. However what I love is the resinous cardamon that keeps the rest warm as it dries down with a scrumptious sweetness. I have Volutes by Diptyque which is resin heavy and sweet vanilla based. This is more simplistic. I almost see the fresh cold vanilla separate to the warmer lightly spiced resin with a slight slight hint of citrus.

The more I smell this the more I like it. I wouldn't say it was heavy enough the EDT for a cold winter but certainly in spring and autumn this would be ideal.

Edit - forgot to mention this is not cloying at all. If you're looking for a Vanilla fragrance and find Tom Ford TV too sweet, and if you've tried Atelier Cologne Insensée and find it too light, then this might be the perfect balance for you

It is interesting, a warm spicy vanilla scent, not heady but with some punch, and correct longevity..I like it, but it isn't what I like to wear, but I find it nicely done, just too spicy for my taste...it is a bit like a chai tea latte smell, a bit foody...nice but not for me!! I find it more feminine than masculine though..

Fizzy
Fizzy

Warm fragrance with sweet cinnamon and without freshness, close to the skin, quiet.

Lana148
Lana148

Lovely, gentle vanilla fragrance. One of the nicest vanillas out there. It feels simple but complex at the same time. Little aquatic, citrusy, black tea, cardamom, saffron and more - just wonderful, alluring mix. Must try for vanilla lovers.

aletheaborealis
aletheaborealis

I haven't been this in love with a fragrance for so long, I've forgotten how wonderful it feels.

Eau Duelle is a magical concoction of golden drops of olibanum, mixing their citrusy, resinous scent with blackened vanilla pods, faintly woody notes and a medley of spices (pepper, cardamom, saffron), giving a realistic approximation of spilling an exotic chai latte on old books.

The dry down is sweet, comforting vanilla with nuances of the spices and is utterly delicious. Currently have the EDT but will definitely be getting a bottle of the EDP for the colder winter months.

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

Diptyque eau duelle was honestly what piqued my interest in the entire line. My wardrobe is about half vanilla, because I really REALLY love vanilla. Still, now a days a vanilla perfume does have to stand out to me in order to add it in. For eau duelle, I have smelt nothing quite like it.
For Vanilla lovers, I can describe the vanilla in here is a bit like double vanille by guerlain or cologne of the missions, it has that boozy and and custardy feel to me. It has that herbal quality to it like vanille marine by molinard. Overall though it is still very different from those 3 perfumes, but I wanted to try and paint a picture the best I could to anyone reading these reviews wondering if they should order a sample.

When I first put on Eau Duelle, I could only smell herbs, spices, and resins. Coriander and juniper really are the most clear herbs to me and pretty much steal all the attention for me in my mind. The green tea note adds a nice subtle green freshness, something I love in my fragrances! I'm not sure how bergamot works in here, maybe just adding a flash at the beginning, but it's my favorite citrus wish I could smell it a bit more.

The dry down is the real treat to eau duelle, the otherwise frictional herby smell settles into a nicely rounded composition with a boozy vanilla. I agree that the vanilla is a dry one to my nose, but I do think that it is creamy and quite sweet. It's the kind of vanilla I'd like to eat, but it is rubbed in herbs which gives it a nice earthy take that balances it. The vanilla gets stronger as the hours go on and I smell sweeter and sweeter with time.
I love the EDP in this line that has a richer vanilla smell than the EDT.

Guest_theperfumedveil
Guest_theperfumedveil

The opening is pure frankincense, which is a note not listed on this site but is definitely in the perfume as in the dyptique note book. It is definitely listed. In the book, there are less notes that on this site as well. I bought this exclusively because the opening smells just like an Orthodox Church. The drydown lasts into the next day and when I woke up, I had the smell of burnt vanilla and resins. Very dry and unusual. I have smelled many scents with these spicy notes and none have ever melded in this magical way.

By the way, I am referring to the EDP.

P.S. So I just learned that frankincense and olibanum is the same thing, supposedly. But in the dyptique book, olibanum and frankincense were listed as separate notes. If anyone knows the answer, PM me.

P. P. S. Well, our love affair is over. Sometimes I spray you and you smell like church. There is the vanilla. But you don't last at all! Even on fabric. Even over lotion. Then there are the other times: you smell like nothing! I cannot get a single note and I spray and spray. It is an expensive habit when you force me to use half of you in a day. Seventy dollars a day for no smell is not going to work out. Goodbye.

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

It's very dry, and doesn't really change as the hours pass. Lasts a long time and projects very heavily. I like this take on vanilla,if you could call it a vanilla, it only peeps it's head clouded behind spices, resin and cardamom. It's not gourmandy, not creamy, just dry 'n boozy. However as you wear the scent, it wears you too. It's too tiring to wear often so a decant is just the right amount for me.

dioraddictfan
dioraddictfan

One of the best vanilla fragrances I've tried... I have the EDP which is a richer bourbon vanilla than the EDT. It has this beautiful spice to it, frankincense and black tea. This is divine and very unisex, great on a man.

damfino
damfino

This fragrance is simply beautiful. First few minutes I cannot stop smelling my wrist because it's so gorgeous, maybe the best initial smell I've encountered so far. It's soft, almost in-your-face resiny, earthy vanilla perfume.
The sillage is pretty intimate, but that's fine with me, I'm not sure if I want to share this beauty with every passenger.
Longevity is reasonable (>10h) and even my clothes got infused with it for an additional day.
A real vanilla beauty, certainly a feminine perfume.

june7rose

I'm in LOVE with the EDP. The EDT is a bit banal and fleeting. It's one of those vanillas with other things in it like cardamon, spices, etc, but isn't overwhelming, too masculine, missingthe vanilla entirely, or throat scratching like a lot of those other choices.

Unique and smells very expensive.

Peta22
Peta22

I just received my Eau Duelle today after purchasing it online. After an initial nervousness at just how dry the fragrance seemed (I guess I'm used to a much sweeter fragrance) I found myself falling for this scent very quickly. It's so deliciously warm and comforting! I get a lot of vanilla and spice ... Someone mentioned 'ice-cream' and I can definitely agree but in a good way. Once I got used to the lack of sweetness, it was actually very refreshing to be enveloped in a rich vanilla scent that isn't cloying at all. I can see this becoming a firm favourite of mine. To me, the fragrance seems to stay very close to the skin but has good longevity - it's been about 8hrs since I sprayed it on my wrist and I can still smell it's delicious warmth. I love that I can enjoy this without worrying that the fragrance may be bothering anyone else.

Steleale
Steleale

A very sexy spicy, woody ambery vanilla. Love it!

RhiannonB
RhiannonB

I was recommend this perfume by another vanilla lover who called it a ‘cold and spicy vanilla’ which is a very apt description of it. However I also find it bitter, sour, pungent and headache-inducing. No, I do not like this and I apologize for this because I hear it is well liked. Maybe it just doesn’t suit my body chemistry and maybe I should try the new EDP version which is apparently quite different but, after months of trying, I’m just not warming up to it.

This opens on me as sharp, cold and bitter. I get the pink pepper, bergamot and tea quite strongly. It’s airy, green and spicy to me. I feel like it’s a completely different perfume than the favorable reviews portray. It took me a moment to recognize the cardamom because I’ve smelt it in mostly warm and cozy perfumes so it was a twist in this.

The images that it brings to mind is an aromatic forest where it’s just began to snow or, equally, like a bitter but proper old lady in a tea parlor. It also smells rather sad like you’re sitting at a graveyard of someone you loved in cold weather. It’s like a cold spiced vodka tea cocktail.

I smell very little vanilla for the first few hours but then a sad bourbon vanilla comes through. It does settle into something subtler with more vanilla and gets a bit warmer as it dries down but I still don’t like it very much.

fpih
fpih

I like the EDT, but I love the EDP. As others said, they're quite different from each other: the EDT is a simple vanillic fragrance albeit more dry than sweet, where the EDP is a deeper, richer scent -that has little to do with vanilla as we know it- with much better projectivity & longevity. If you're into airy scents the EDT might be your cuppa, but I like the complexity of the EDP well enough to break my 'not buying any more perfumes' rule:)

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

Surprisingly well balanced juniper and vanillin accord. Light, cozy and delicate, a bit sweet and almost fruity at the very start, but with a dry and somber drydown. Spicy notes of cloves (eugenol) and a slight violet/white musks side. I also smell the ambroxan note quite clearly, while I totally miss the saffron note here. Really close projection (on my skin, it's one of those fragrances I really have to inhale my whole wrist to smell) and moderate longevity.

raw umber

The EdT and EdP are distinct enough to warrant their own profile pages. EdP is rounder and much sweeter candy vanilla. The EdT is more subtle, with a fresher, cool airy vanilla dry down. If you're wary of sweetness, go EdT. If you love the image of a winter forest being leveled by an avalanche of marshmallow fluff, EdP is your girl.

nebbe
nebbe

unfortunatly surupy on my skin. But pretty.

Update! 9/14/2014
Tried the EDP for the first time today, previous tests were with the EDT.
Loooove the EDP. Definitely rounder, more full bodied. Definitely reminds me of Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille - which is great because that is discontinued and lovely.

FB for sure - it's on the fall list!

Update! 8/4/15
Gave the EdT another try, it's lovely. Not syrupy. Light, fresh, green and vanilla. Have a small bottle of EdP for fall/winter. Need the EdT now too. Oops :)

MadMadamMimm
MadMadamMimm

Lovely. It does not smell like an antique store, but it is evocative of one, in the best way.

DHIguy99
DHIguy99

I enjoy this fragrance. It's the only Diptyque scent that I actually liked on my skin. To me it kinda smells like a lighter Noir De Noir. This lasts a long time on my skin but the projection is really only average before becoming a skin scent. Almost a 10/10 for me but the projection does knock it down a peg. Overall a very nice date/winter frag.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

edited review on 9/3/15: this is a beautiful aromatic vanilla with spicy tea notes, there is a slight astringency from the tea that i find really compelling in a gourmand like this.

it definitely starts off all cardamom, vanilla and tea and it's just gorgeous. it's cool and warm at the same time and though it's a gourmand, i think it works in any season. this isn't a super sweet vanilla and i am thankful for that, the tea really balances this out nicely. it's becoming one of my favorite scents.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

I tried the EDP version.A nice salty vanilla with a nice amber base. Slightly citrus in the beginning. Reminds me a lot of L'ambre des Merveilles, only not as rich and doesn't last as long. Disappointing longevity for an EDP
Scent 3.5/5
Sillage 2/5
Longevity 2/5

Jenge
Jenge

I really love Eau Duelle. It is what I wanted L'Artisan's Tea for Two to smell like! The top notes smell like opening a jar of a fine Earl Grey blend tea and inhaling. It's cool and spicy with the juniper & pepper mixed in. Then, like adding the hot water to the tea pot, this starts to warm up. The spices calm down and the vanilla amps up. This is a very close to the body scent that's soothing and energising at the same time. It has a moderate longevity and becomes more straight warm vanilla with occasional whiffs of pepper & juniper to me. I think every tea lover should experience this one!

edit* I tested with the edp. The edt is disappointingly herbal on me, gave it to the hubby & it's much better on him!

crescentsho
crescentsho

This fragrance is so lovely~~ very well balanced cold vanilla. Almost too simple, can be used for every occasion,every time.

heymoe9
heymoe9

I got a sample of this from a friend and cursed her for getting me addicted to another perfume I really don't need. The opening to me has a pepper and tea overtone, then transforms to citrus. The vanilla is always present, but not overpowering. When it dries down on me I really wanted the incense and vanilla to be predominant, but once again my hippie chemistry takes on the musk and vanilla. I love this and will buy it after lusting for it a couple months.

evilspin
evilspin

Its a very strong scent at first spray, its one of those fragrances best appreciated on dry down. it smells completely different on skin then on paper strip. overall scent i get on skin during drydown? Do you know the after scent of the burnt edge of a sheet of paper after lighting it with fire? Take that with a very light vanilla scent with a bit of an old book being opened. Thats what i got. Not that its a bad thing, there is just no spark nor commands ppl to notice or ask what your wearing. But i loved smelling on paper strip which kept having me to try it on my skin.

Silkpuppet
Silkpuppet

As a former diptyque employee, I must confess that their scents are not for me. I can totally appreciate the artistry and timelessness of the fragrances, but would never really buy them of my own volition...with the exception of Eau Duelle. I am a die hard gourmand scent wearer. Since diptyque fragrances are largely derived from natural essences, foody scents are out of the question. Duelle is the closest they do to a gourmand scent and it is absolutely divine.

This is vanilla, all grown up. The bitter burst of black tea and juniper keeps the fragrance's opening lively and interesting. The cardamom and saffron elements are completely unique IMO and not something everyone's nose can detect; very subtle and warm. Overall, the scent fades to a delicate incense, which reminds me of Indian holidays at home with my family. This EDT is incredibly sophisticated and since the vanilla in question is bourbon vanilla, it does not err on the side of BBW or anything generic. I would never relegate this perfume to a season. It is always perfect to me and blends beautifully with other diptyque scents. A must for vanilla-lovers everywhere.

nastyamason
nastyamason

I was thinking about buying it blind but I am glad I got a sample first. For me this is just another vanilla and not unique. I was hoping for evergreens but do not detect them at all. I guess for a huge vanilla fan it might be full bottle worthy but since I am not, I will take it off my want list.

alexandra.m
alexandra.m

How do I start? When I heard about the mix of notes, I thought it was crazy. When I smelled it on paper, it was... ok... might be interesting... On me, in the first 5 minutes, it was confusing. Once it settled down, I had the "Aha!" moment. It is a strange combination of vanilla and juniper at first, one I would have never imagined as for me they are in completely different categories... I found it appealing and complex and I ended up buying a bottle. I must confess, I still don't know what to make of it.. I wear it quite often, and I especially like the smokiness around the vanilla - it's somehow similar to Shalimar parfum initial for me. What's disapointing for me though it's the development into a pure vanilla smell and the fact that it loses the most interesting notes after a few hours. Definitely not recommended as blind choice. Great lasting power on my skin.

meganinstmaxime
meganinstmaxime

To me this is a light vanilla that has a faint boozy spiced opening but quickly fades to a pleasant but not that exciting perfume. I would prefer my vanilla with a bit of oomph to make this a love i.e. to have more booziness or a twist added in. It's probably a great inoffensive work scent but doesn't have the showmanship I'm looking for. Sillage and longevity are not brilliant either. I have Tam Dao in the EDP and that one lasts for a long time so I don't think this is a problem for all of Diptique's perfumes.

le8159
le8159

I really wanted to like this fragrance. My favourite vanilla is serge lutens un bois vanille, it has just the right amount of richness and hints of spice and wood, but I prefer this as a winter and/or evening scent.. So I was looking for something lighter and 'cooler' which is how many people have described eau duelle and also Jo Malone's vanilla anise which I found rather nauseating so eau duelle was my sample order of choice. Unfortunately I really don't enjoy it, I find it too sweet, the spices don't bring anything positive to the equation and the closest thing i can think to describe it as on me is the smell of spilt vanilla coke that is frying away in the sun. Sillage and longevity are very poor also. My search for a light spring/summer vanilla continues.

kelli.marie
kelli.marie

The French SA at Liberty London said this is a "cold" vanilla vs a "warm" vanilla and that's what makes it so unique.

At first spritz I couldn't smell anything from the EDT. I applied another spritz-- nothing. Tried the EDP --- still nothing. The SA then recommended I give Eau Lente a go and I did. It was a bit too powdery for me but she assured me the drydown would make the opopanax open to a lovely vanilla scent. I purchased it.

I then went for a stroll through outside and it was quite chilly. To my surprise all I could smell was Eau Duelle the moment I stepped outside! The sillage became enormous and I totally get that "new book" smell a previous reviewer had mentioned. I LOVE THIS STUFF!

It's an innocent but comforting vanilla. I don't find it boozy, but rather clean. It reminds me of crisp cleans cold sheets being folded in a kitchen where someone is baking a cake. ( If that even makes sense?? )

The sillage for me is best when outdoors for some reason. The scent doesn't particularly cling well to my skin but it lingers for ages in scarves and on blouses. I am glad I exchanged the Eau Lente for Eau Duelle. It may become my signature! Also received some nifty samples from Diptyque as well! :D

I've tried this about 3 times on my skin, over a number of months and I've got a feeling Eau Duelle could grow on me through further investigation. It's very unique I can't think of anything I've smelled that resembles this, almost like a combination of notes that shouldn't work but somehow just do.
Resinous spice, tea, juniper, cardamom, ambergris, musk and then vanilla!
It sounds like a 'shitmix' as I affectionately called a plastic bottle mixture of whatever booze I could steal from my parents spirit cabinet when I was a kid. Needless to say these concoctions (usually a dark brownish hue) were not a smooth carefully blended cocktail, more of a burning firewater with no discernible genus.
Anyway...that's exactly what I'd expect from this especially with the vanilla being so integral in its make up but its not at all confused. Eau Duelle has a lightness of touch which really lets the spices play around without being able to pick out the notes as such. The frankincense and elemi are present and surprisingly work well with the vanilla.
Without further testing I'm at a bit of loss. I know I like it or I wouldn't keep returning to it and this could potentially be one of my favourites from this house.

bossontherun
bossontherun

Smell of a New Open Book for my nose! Wierd!

orchid_84
orchid_84

Eau Duelle is a deliciously creamy, light, warm and resinous vanilla fragrance. This is a non-sweet rendition of vanilla that brings to mind both Atelier Vanille Insensee and Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre. Eau Duelle is very much in the same vein of dry, woodsy vanillas as Vanille Insensee. Eau Duelle is lighter and less dense though, and perhaps more easy to like for some than Atelier's version of woodsy vanilla.

The collection of notes in Eau Duelle gives me a similar overall effect as in Voile d'Ambre, but with the balance tipped towards more vanilla and less resin. Cardamom and citrus figure strongly in both, but are blended together more smoothly in Eau Duelle. It plays out in a more linear way than Voile d'Ambre, with the vanilla, resins, spices and herbs all melding into a creamy scent that stays close to the skin. The spices and citrus are more jarring, peppery and intense in Voile d'Ambre, making it a bit more voluptuous. Eau Duelle is softer, more of a comfort scent.

This fragrance stays very close to my skin in both the EDT and EDP, but the lasting power is better in the EDP format. This is a beautiful non-sweet vanilla fragrance, cozy and easy to love. I highly recommend it.

silviaci
silviaci

Although I wouldn't wear it for myself, I love to smell it on my 7 year old son. I find this fragrance quite playful and inoffensive thanks to its sweet-bergamot-elemy concurrence, so I guess it works on a lovely nice kid, but I opt for something more complex and hard to guess.

Cereza
Cereza

"Eau Duelle" opened much more interesting that it developed. At the first moment I though got loads of alcohol, but soon vanilla overpowered everything and I was greeted with a very strong, boozy vanilla followed by mostly cardamon. I also got bits of juniper and elemi making this rather unique in the world of boozy vanillas.

"Eau Duelle" stays this way for an hour, then fades to a very sweet, regular kind of vanilla drydown with dry spicyness of cardamon in the background. In this phase it lingered as a skin scent almost 8 hours. Very good for EDT and Diptyque in general as they don't have the best longevity.

I do enjoy "Eau Duelle", but I don't find it interesting after the first hour.

pushkin1
pushkin1

This would be a beautiful juniper-vanilla with delicate frankincense notes if it actually lasted for any amount of time on my skin. As it stands, it blasts gin (the juniper, I assume) and then flickers vanilla for seconds, and is gone.

LeisaSch
LeisaSch

I love this, I CRAVE it. The spicy sweetness, the pepper & frankincense and the dry, boozy vanilla - it makes me swoon.

This is one of the BEST vanilla fragrances I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. It is truly exquisite. Raw yet refined somehow.

I am powering through my 50ml EDT and I will get the EDP next, can't wait. Awesome fragrance, just wish it lasted longer!

Diaboromon95
Diaboromon95

Great! Sweet, attractive and very very long lasting.
But after a few hours you can smell only vanilla. I like this scent but i prefer something more sophisticated.

Dakota22
Dakota22

Tried this at Nordy and when the gal sprayed it my back salivary glands exploded! She said the "duelle" is the duel between vanilla and frankincense, black and white, goood and bad, etc. It smelled alike the vanilla was nicely caressed by the frankincense-if that makes any sense. I haven't worn it on my skin yet, but the card Duelle was sprayed on is still scented after 9 days. I will be buying a bottle soon as I think this will be my signature scent. Yum.

Salotka
Salotka

I love this scent. To me it smells just like an ice cold Gin and Tonic served in a glass rimmed with a freshly split vanilla pod. It works in both hot and cold weather, and frankly, exhilarates me a little. Theres something effervescent about it.
Love.

SweetChouli

Oh my beautiful Duelle! I can't believe I almost swapped this bottle away when I first got it! I found it to be weak and quite boring. But, like every other fragrance I truly love, I needed to give it time and allow my brain and nose to dissect the components. I've now been wearing Eau Duelle for about 2 months and I feel it's become a "me" scent. I've developed such a personal relationship with it that I can't imagine not having this in my life. If someone were to ever speak badly about my Duelle, well I'd have to put them in their place lol! Kind of like a relative or best friend.

I actually prefer the EDT to EDP. I get more of the resins and slightly salty, marine like air quality from the ambergris in the edt. The vanilla isn't overpowering nor too sweet. The spices are perfect and add just the slightest bite to the whole thing. Eau Duelle is all natural and all amazing! It may be simple, but it's so far from boring! I never have to worry about over application and because of that, I will be needing another bottle soon.

TibbieMom
TibbieMom

I just compared the edt to the new edp, and there's a big difference, to me, anyway. The edp is more straight up vanilla with less smokiness. I actually prefer this to the edt. It lasts as long as the edt, which is all day on me.

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

Eau Duelle(2010)Diptyque is a beautiful delicate vanilla perfume, descriptive of Angelica flower, which is mostly a weed in my habitat. It's completely understandable, why angelica flower inspired at least several prominent noses to devote a perfume to the plant more of apothecary importance. I find Eau Duelle amazingly similar to Angelique Noir Guerlain (2005). But unlike Angelique Noir you can "pull this fragrance apart" and smell the separate notes, which for me is very much a fun thing to do. If I would not own Angelique Noir, I would, probably, get a bottle of Eau Duelle EDP. EDP is more round, has more "ambergris"(love it) than EDT. EDT does not smell substantial enough for me, lots of solvent. I would think, this fragrance is on the feminine side. One should not expect from Eau Duelle EDP the same sillage and tenacity as from Angelique Noir, but it seems sufficient for everyday polite use.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

~* Review of the Eau de Toilette *~

Not to sure how to actually describe Eau Duelle. Its quite lovely, but it reminds me almost too much of my L'eau de Kenzo Amour (which I got before Eau Duelle). I bought this one blind based on the notes and recommendations. This is lighter, more balmy, and a little spicy. I swear they could be sisters! Eau Duelle is a dry vanilla and it refreshing compared to the overly sweet vanillas I usually smell. Quite natural actually. I do like the use of juniper in it makes it more aromatic and adds a bit of sweetness. Pretty good lasting power though it is one I usually spray on again half way through the day, otherwise it becomes a skin scent. I think this is great and works for almost anyone. Its a good one to get if you want a not too sweet vanilla that has some character behind it. I do need to still try the Eau De Parfum version.

schokolade
schokolade

Uhm.. it was very very spicy for me at the first time. Like hot pepper maybe..? After few hours it turned into pure vanilla but very weak. Its longevity is not very good on my skin. And it's very subtle to decide if it's warm or cool perfume, I mean it's not very warm perfume for vanilla, but definitely not for summer if used, it'll cause headache.
To sum up Pepper -> Vanilla ice cream, perfume for warm winter day..?

UPDATE : I've been using it for a month, and my mind has changed(or my nose has changed haha) I was not sure if others would like it since it's quite spicy.(I'm living in Asia, and asians are not very familiar with perfume containing spices. It's like... everyday seasoning to us, it's like wearing mustard perfume to say.) At the very point I wear it, many people think something's burning (it's that hot), but after 2~3 hours they agree it's like a hot cup of vanilla tea, and after 5~6 hours they all like it. Interesting thing is, some say they smell hot chocolate with pepper, some say herbal leaves burning, and some say it just sucks, but after times all people say warm vanilla. I'm now using EDP, its longevity is much better than EDT and to me EDP is hotter, warmer, and softer. I like it.
Oh, and it's very masculine at first but turns into feminine as the name indicates, it has duality itself.
I've been using 3 diptyque fragrances and they all have one common thing. They all stick to your skin, so if you are looking for a fragrance that'll draw attention, maybe diptyque is not the answer. Diptyque is very unique and simple but definitely not shouting for attention, it's very quite.

Reupdate : Why people keep thinking this is Petit Maman by Bvlgari?
I'm fed up with it.....

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Very nice!!! A different take on vanilla and very beautiful. For you adventurous vanilla lovers out there, this is a must try!! The pepper and spices offer a nice little bite while the scent retains a smokey booziness to it. This is such a wonderful departure from the plain ol basic vanilla scents out there. If straight up vanilla is what you are after...keep walking girl but if you are looking for something a bit different give this baby a try. FB worthy IMO!!!

Longevity and projection are good not great but I am used to respraying throughout the day.

Germany
Germany

Eau Duelle, is a dry vanilla scent, its slightly spicy and peppery with a dry vanilla undertone. The cardamom and olibanum along with citrus notes give it a nice fresh organic feel, the tea note gives it a so natural edge ! lets call it a " chai tea feel" with a squeeze of lemon and vanilla base. It's herbal too me, definitely a natural fragrance for a natural kind of girl!!! I like it!!!
On the contrary it has a medical feel because of the olibanum or francinsense, which I quite enjoy. Some people say olibanum has a medical, bandaid, toothpaste kind of smell. I agree! I smell that strongly in the first half an hour of spraying Duelle. It's unique .
Fresh enough for summer and vanillic enough for winter. Different than most heavy based vanilla scent that are usually on the sweeter side. ...If you are after a heavy vanilla scent go with un bois Vanille Surge Lutens or something along that line.
All the Diptiques are out now in the EDP version, even this one!!! So excited!

Update, love this stuff, I now simplify the whole smell to a lemon, citrus vanilla fragrance. Heavenly!!!!! So glad they came out with a EDP because it is indeed a little weak, but it does last for a long time. Lingers forever ! It's a true comfort scent.

SweetChouli

I keep going back and forth with Eau Duelle. It's not a heavy hitter like most of my perfume, so I've had to really concentrate when I wear it to form a solid opinion. I think I got it now. It definetly wears close to the skin and normally I'm not into light fragrances. But, I appreciate it's simplicity. I think its good to have one that doesn't scream for attention. It's basically vanilla with a slight twist. I detect very little pink pepper and cardamom and I believe it's the ambergris that gives this the little boost it needs. It's not going to offend anyone when you wear it and you hardly have to worry about over spraying. I like it. It's forced me to analyze what it is and my feelings for it. Kind of like a man you never gave the time of day, but his persistence and motivation made you want to know him better. Then eventually, you marry him! I won't be marrying Eau Duelle, but he's definetly relationship material.

Update: This is definetly a soft fragrance, but it lasts a long time! I get 8+ hours, easy! I used to think it faded quickly, but because it's so subtle I didn't notice it still lingering on my skin. I now know that once it's dried down it radiates ever so lightly, but doesn't actually leave completely. I sprayed it one night before bed and was still noticeable when I woke up! It's like it sinks in to your pores and clings on until you wash it away. It's really remarkable and mysterious, especially being an EDT.

yvonne961
yvonne961

afraid i am in the other camp. because there is tooooooo much vanilla for me to take, and i am envious of people who can admire its complexion.
after the initial bombarding of vanilla i somehow detect the wonderfulness of the main theme, which is grounded, creamy & soothing spiced tea, unfortunately only when i put my nose to skin, otherwise overall i'm surrounded by peppery salty VANILLA.

raw umber

Eau Duelle is unquestionably sweet vanilla with just enough juniper to create an almost minty astringent sensation. It reminds me of stepping out the front door of a supermarket into swirling snow. The addition of subtle chai tea aroma amounts to a unique fragrance which is comforting, light, and addictive. My boyfriend says this is the first vanilla fragrance he has really enjoyed.

Eau Duelle wears close to the skin, but it persists. I wouldn't want it to project any more than it does, because the juniper would become too much. Thanks to Vie Cafe for enabling me to try this beauty.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

A nice vanilla scent: starts out woody and spicy, and also almost fresh, like fresh ginger-vanilla scent. It finally settles into resinous vanilla, not too sweet, not too gourmand.

It's not a dead-ringer for Sublime Vanille, no. But it bears some resemblance to it. SV is more like an airy chiffon of vanilla, with its low-cal lemon-pie theme; whereas Eau Duelle is more like a soft comfy blanket, but it sits close to the skin; it also lacks the creaminess and citrus of SV, but it murmurs resins and spices instead.

To sum up, Eau Duelle is a pleasant unisex soft spicy vanilla. Only one negative thing is that it does not last too long on me (maybe 4 hours max).

batkitty
batkitty

I have a solid of Eau Duelle that I've been using since last winter, and I was really enjoying it, so I thought I'd get a bottle of the edt too and holy smoke, this stuff is incredible!

It hits me with the most wonderful balance of papery vanilla, juniper, and whispering incense, and over time, as the juniper steps back (but stays around), I get whiffs of saffron and a gentle tea note. All the while the vanilla keeps going, sweet but never cloying, and always a touch reserved and "cool" on my skin. It's not a warm heavy vanilla, it always stays with the woodier aspect of the bean and away from the more syrupy vanilla extract/food angle. I love it in the summer weather as much as colder weather, maybe because it gives me just a hint of wintry air against the heat. I'm in love with this perfume, this is my ultimate vanilla!

To my nose, the solid is a bit more straightforward vanilla, lacking the brightness of the topnotes in the edt. I love both, but the edt won me over completely.

MLK
MLK

This is a warm and spicy vanilla scent and I know why I like it so much - I have found that I am attracted to saffron scents and this has saffron in the ingredients. I find this fragrance to be very comforting in the winter and as with other Diptyque fragrances, I can spray as much as I need to and I don't get a throbbing headache as I do with a lot of synthetic perfumes that are mass marketed.
Another winner from Diptyque.

I am addicted to this brand and their fragrance line.

MsYvette
MsYvette

Heavenly. As a citrus and vanilla lover, I must say I absolutely adore Eau Duelle. Eau Duelle is a warm, cozy eau de toilette that is perfect for the autumn and winter months. Though it's clearly a vanillary scent, I personally wouldn't categorize this as a gourmand. It's definitely more like a vanilla bean rather than a vanilla cupcake. In addition, the freshness of the tea keeps it from becoming too syrupy and cloying.

I love how the citrus notes sparkles against the backdrop of the spicy vanilla. While some bergamot notes become too bitter and sour in some other fragrances, the bergamot note here blends in perfectly with the sweetness of the vanilla. The saffron note is also quite dominant on my skin and becomes more apparent in the dry-down. It complements the vanilla so well and adds character.

This will definitely become a favorite of mine in the colder months. I'm sad I only have a sample, but I definitely plan on getting the full sized bottle.

Man, I can't stop sniffing my arm.

steve0580
steve0580

I have a sample of this and wow! - it's vanilla overload.

There's nothing muted about it from the start. Imagine a very strong, creamy vanilla ice cream and you have Eau Duelle

guest_Vie Cafe

Now that I own a proper bottle of this gorgeous treasure, I feel inspired to write another review about it but I still stand by my original review, which was way more "creative".

It opens with a lot of pepper/juniper and other spicy notes but it quickly calms down to a soft aromatic oriental vanilla, that is true to nature and not at all gourmand. Anybody who is wary of peppery notes in perfume will find the opening quite hard to get through (not pepper here but juniper), but for me, it moves on quickly and I like peppery anyway.

This perfume will truly appeal to lovers of medicinal/oriental/woodsy perfumes, as well as to everybody who loves a "churchy" scent. But this one is an outdoor church... filled with delicious vanilla pods.

Overall, quite a dry serious scent, but very cozy nonetheless. If you want your aromatic vanilla to be more scrumptious and warm, may I suggest Molinard's Vanille marine or Lutens' vanilla.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

I tried this in store, with a few others from this line. And of course, the coffee bean jar in between to clear my nose. I liked this far better than the 34 they were trying to push on me. But I wasn't sure whether I liked it enough to buy on such a whim, even with walking around the store for awhile for about an hour, I still was unsure. I am glad I got a sample, because I will try it again early morning and do an edit for you. It seemed to wear close to the skin. Lots of vanilla and sweet in a grown up way. I do not mind paying the price to get a fragrance that smells nice and doesn't induce a headache. It didn't smell like a dessert on me. Just a nice warm comforting scent. I have others that I would rather purchase than this though. It's nice to branch out, but I always seem to come back to either Guerlain or Bond.

antfarm
antfarm

This is quite different and if this fragrance was a person, he/she would be the kind of person who says a whole lot without saying too much. It smells very unisex and is very smooth. It smells like actual sawdust from an evergreen tree upon first spritz/dab. Then the vanilla comes in and shares the spotlight. Overall it reminds me of eating sugar cookies next to a freshly cut Christmas tree. Comforting, unique, and understated. Too bad it doesn't last on my skin for more than an hour, or else it would be a definite purchase.

The Shelter
The Shelter

I love this white vanilla based fragrance...
Another amazing Diptyque creation...

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Very nice vanilla bomb. I do get some of the spices once drydown starts. Smells good, you must like vanilla though. Almost a touch feminine for my tastes. Could almost be a Warm Vanilla Sugar for men.

deadidol
deadidol

Second time wearing this one. I actually get great longevity out of it: 8+ hours. It's a smooth, dense fragrance with some warm spiciness, but not too sweet. It actually reminds me a little of A Lab on Fire's "What we do in Paris is Secret" in its balmy smoothness, but doesn't have the floral or the musk of that fragrance. Having tried a number of the diptyque line, I'd put this one in my top 3 from them.

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

I love the notes in this perfume as listed, but for me it doesn't seem to pass the powdery resin vibe I get. I would love to pick up the cardamom and other notes. But they don't seem to come through with my chemistry...Boo hoo, hoo...

shiverwithantici
shiverwithantici

This is beautiful, warm, and comforting, with the familiarity of vanilla, but the intrigue of all the unusual notes. This smells like vanilla, exotic, spiced hot chocolate, and freshly chopped wood. Sophisticated, yet edible. Delicious and surprising.

busik
busik

Yes, ah, very cozy vanilla! Cushy, home, slightly set off the juniper. In the fresh air and fresh oranges. That is probably why many dreaming winter, new year ...

guest_Vie Cafe

I got this during the summer, so now I am wearing this for the first time on a cold day. I usually get a warm vanilla scent on hot days, but today it is cold and the drydown on my skin smells exactly like roasting marshmallows by the camp fire. The pepper/black tea/resin trio is what smells like camp fire I believe. Gently smoky to my nose. Unlike a lot of other people, I do not get any amber with the vanilla dry down... more of a dry ambergris/vanilla/juniper combo which is different to me.

The drydown reminds me of a cross between Tokyo Milk Bulletproof and Bittersweet. Anyone else gets that?

Someone in their review said: "I find this scent very versatile as the opening is quite refreshing like gin and green tea cardamom and the vanilla is light and natural, so it can be worn in the heat as well." Very well put!

EDIT I am wearing this again today, and it is a cold rainy day. This beautiful perfume makes me smell like I was just sitting by an open fireplace all day, smothered in delicious smelling vanilla lotion and I can smell the juniper growing by the open window, their smell carried in by a cold Autumn wind. Such a haunting scent. I also get the spicy combination of pink pepper, cardamom... divine, meditative, natural, we are miles away from the fruity-florals of today. Eau duelle smells of deep woods and cold weather.

Underrated fragrance in my opinion. Although I am happy it is not too popular. I've never smelled it on anybody else... so far.

the smoky vanilla finish is not without remindind me of Shalimar... if you were to recreate Shalimar using things you found in the forest and in your cupboard, if this make any sense.

bloosunshine
bloosunshine

Not just another bland vanilla,I can smell the
freshness of the tea and bergamot,the creamy floral notes,while musk and amber give body to a somewhat
linear scent.It`s quiet and pleasant enough,just not
lasting enough,5 minutes,where are you! In like,but
not in love,my search continues.

Eau Duelle is a hard scent to fathom. One minute it smells like an oriental vanilla, the next it's a smooth, woodsy floral. Either way, it wasn't what I was expecting.

For the most part, Eau Duelle is creamy in texture and discreet. The bourbon vanilla accord is rather dominant on my skin, with a smooth buttery quality created by the elemi resin. It's unique but not difficult to wear.

Occasionally I find myself enjoying Eau Duelle and its smoothness, however I have to agree with some reviewers that it is simple and perhaps forgettable. Although, for days when something soft and inoffensive is required, I somehow seem to crave it. So it does have its purpose.

One or two spritzes is enough to last the whole day, as Eau Duelle has wonderful lasting power and moderate sillage. I've only recently begun to test Diptyque as a brand, and so far I'm enjoying their light and simplistic offerings. They convey a beautiful sense of elegance through their compositions.

The way in which this fragrance settles on the skin, is both comforting and familiar. In fact, it's quite a cuddly scent. Due to its comforting nature it seems fairly casual to me, however it's versatile enough to be worn almost anywhere.

Eau Duelle is not likely to offend. Who doesn't love a cosy vanilla scent? This is yet another very pleasant niche offering that I have no qualms in recommending.

mohmd.taha
mohmd.taha

This a must have for vanilla lovers like me .it is so comforting and cozy. The opening is a little bit alcoholic with a hint of cardamom , juniper and a lovely vanilla in the background and the scent end up as a very delicate vanilla scent that lingers close to the skin.this scent is a little bit light but indeed very pleasant.Good job Diptyque.

Review of Eau Duelle SOLID:

I have the EDT, but the solid form is much rounder and creamier with less juniper. It's like skipping past the opening of the EDT and fast-forwarding to the vanilla-y dry down, which is desirable for me, but you may not prefer it if you enjoy the invigorating freshness of the EDT's opening. And oddly enough, I get more throw from the solid; whereas with the EDT, I struggle with lasting power and sillage. My only complaint is that the solid felt hard. I was expecting it to be soft and creamy, but it was hard and dry and it took a lot of effort to get a decent amount of product to transfer onto my finger. The scent is very long-lasting and I can still smell it on my wrist after 18 hours! Very lovely :o)

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

An interesting note list in this oriental vanilla should be my type of scent.

I was just too curious to pass it after a lot of clamor over this House's best seller so I guess I had to have LuckyScented this! It hasn't paid off however (or rather, it has, a handsome saving!), as other notes that are strange to my nose begin to appear and turn the whole thing nauseating. I just couldn't handle it.

I certainly do not detect strong tea, and definitely no juniper as listed above which is a huge disappointment! I was expecting a good strong black tea along with the cardamom to spice up the vanilla.

But I do appreciate the opening of vanilla or benzoin that is of very good quality. Thick and strong. Sadly, not that sweet.

Some spice, mild clove/cardamom or spiced floral with hint of paraffin joining the dominant vanilla is the best I can assess this!

Edit- I have now confirmed the 'paraffin' must be the saffron with it's distinctive aroma. Sadly I'm totally anosmic to saffron, lavender and violets and can detect a micron of those notes in perfume from a mile away so this was a no-go for me.

Just not for me, sorry.

My rating: 4/10.
Quality: 9/10.

dmoman
dmoman

I haven't tried this out yet...but the main accords look simular to La Nuit d l'home Yves from the top and La Nuit has a vanilla sweetness of sort on drydown. Can someone tell me if these scent is very far apart or are the simular to one another. I know this is a niche fragrance and I need at least 2 but I don't want to buy one if it smells like something I already got.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I've been anxious to try this for a long time as I was positive I would love it from the notes.
In the bottle it smells very vanillic but on first spray I get a ton of juniper berries and soft spicey cardamom with a tea hint in the background. This vanishes within minutes and all I am left with is lots of powdery amber and a vanilla like sweetness. This smells on my skin exactly like L'Instant de Guerlain.
If the opening was the entire fragrance I would make a dash to buy it but this wonderful juniper berry spice tonic vanishes so fast. And as I have L'Instant I won't purchase this. But a very nice scent indeed, with great staying power for an edt - 10 hrs so far on me - and gentle sillage.
Edit: staying power is amazing! I could still smell smokey vanilla on my skin this morning, nearly a full day later!

sf2explus
sf2explus

For me this scent opens up with the alcholy fresh gin with the slight trace of cardamom to give it some sweetness and spice. after the top notes settle a bit a get a slight tea note, i think green tea smell with the mellow top combintaion and also this doesnt take long to go to the vannila and amber which is the way it stays.
The vannila here is very delicate not like a heavy vannila found in serge lutans un bois vannile,(great scent) but more like smelling a vannila pods.
the scent is very elegant and refined.
I can't see anyone into heavy vannila scents liking this, but who knows, if your one of those like me who do enjoy vannila but like it subtle Diptyque style, than this is the one. To me it's slightly more feminine than masculine but i will wear it any day of the week no problem, quite expensive but well worth the price. I find this scent very versatile as the opening is quite refreshing gin and green tea cardamom and the vannila is light and natural, so can be worn in the heat as well. I personally prefer this scent during autumn and spring.
sillage is good for the first two hours creates a litlle bubble around you than dies.
Lasting power on skin is 4-6 hours than close to the skin. Some one has to hug you after that or your body has to be heat up, for someone else to smell it on you.
Very typical of Diptyque to bring a scent out in this style.I love this scent.

Scent 8/10

darlingalchemist
darlingalchemist

I really liked this scent and Duptyque 34, but they is no sillage and little longevity on my skin. Beautiful scents though. If you can get them to last, I would highly recommend.

leeyah87

Aaah, Eau Duelle...it is so comforting and cozy. The opening is reminiscent of a vanilla gin martini - herbally, dry, with a hint of creamy vanilla. I get a lot of cardamom and juniper at the beginning, which soften as the scent dries down, but they never completely disappear. Those two notes for me is what keeps this scent refreshing and exhilarating.The vanilla becomes more prominent as the scent develops, but this is not your typical vanilla. It kind of reminds me of the vanilla used in Atelier Vanille Insensee. In fact, I would definitely put them in the same category. I am very impressed by Eau Duelle because it has managed to change the way I think of vanilla and how it is used in perfumery. Ever since I started exploring niche fragrances, I have discovered and fallen in love with perfumes that I never thought I would ever like. When a perfume has the ability to surprise you and make you realize things about yourself that you didn't recognize before, well, that's how you know you've found something special.

Udaria
Udaria

A harmless bourbon/vanilla scent. So inoffensive that it may be worn in a no-scent business environment. It reminds me of Juliet and Teint de Neige. Both are more of what this one is trying to be. Even Casmir has more character. Forgettable.

Diptyque EAU DUELLE is a somewhat sweet floriental. Pretty inoffensive but also not very thrilling. I wore the liquid edt both yesterday and this morning, and I have now applied the solid perfume. Yesterday's wearing was, I have to say, entirely forgettable. I didn't even notice what I was wearing for most of the day. I'm finding the solid perfume quite a bit more appealing. It's less sweet and more incense-y and I find it more oriental and less sugary than the edt.

I've tried (and acquired) a number of houses' solid perfumes, and Diptyque's has a wonderful texture: soft and oily, rather than hard and waxy. The oiliness appears to be contributing to the composition as well, as I really do prefer the solid EAU DUELLE to the liquid. The packaging of the Diptyque solids is gorgeous: a black-enameled stamped vessel with a lot of heft and an appealing closure mechanism. The only problem I foresee is that the lid is flat and only rests on top of the perfume, rather than enclosing it. This makes me wonder whether this would travel well, since the perfume itself is already quite soft. I can imagine, for example, this melting out of the container all over one's bag in hot weather. But that's okay: I'll leave mine at home, where I can admire it in all its beauty and wear it now and then.

I'm giving a neutral rating to EAU DUELLE, all things considered, since I only really like it in the solid form. I was underwhelmed by the liquid version of this oriental composition and would not add a bottle to my collection.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I did not like this at all at first spray. It was just a strange tangy tea and vanilla. Nothing compelling at all. It took a few hours to start to evolve into a very smoky sexy resinous vanilla type aroma. This I like. On my skin it lasts 12+ hours, but the projection is minimal. As much as I love the drydown of this scent, I'm not willing to suffer through that odd beginning, unless they bring the price of this way down. I really do love that smoky aroma...very nicely done.
UPDATE: After more wearings, this has really grown on me. It has one of the most gorgeous bases I have come across. Very smoky with subtle vanilla type aroma. I have started experimenting using it as a base and layering on top, and it is simply miraculous. Incredible base.
So after many wearings, I think I have gradually come to understand what I am smelling. What put me off in the beginning was the big cardamom. I am not the biggest fan of cardamom, especially when it takes the front seat. Also the juniper is fairly prominent in the beginning, and this, I like, but it fades into the background all too fast. The elemi starts to stir up its smokiness fairly early, but doesn't really get going for a couple of hours, and when it does, it gives this its wonderful smoky aura.
I have come to really love this fragrance...something that I never thought would happen, and it really didn't take all that long. I use this a lot in layering because of its wonderful base and am so glad I gave it a chance.

LucyZulu
LucyZulu

(Review for parfum solide):

Really beautiful fragrance, but sadly not enough projection for me.

Maybe I would fare better with the EDT spray?

querelle
querelle

Very interesting in the beginning but, on me at least, dries down into pure vanilla and nothing else..
I still prefer Black.

Lindy_Mop
Lindy_Mop

Vanilla + lapsang. Yum. Smells natural, good quality and not too sweet. This is going to be my Autumn/Winter scent this year.

lara0905
lara0905

This scent is an impressive interpetation of bourbon vanilla. Warm, deep, rich , mouthwatering gourmand scent.
Tea, saffron and the juniper notes opens, after the cardamom makes the scent slightly spicy. This swirling cavalcade ends with a touch of amber,very close to skin.
After few hours just resinous vanilla smell I could detect in a subtle way on my skin.
Nice winter fragrance, I use my sample happy, but I think I will not invest my money in a full bottle...

John E Buoy
John E Buoy

I quite like this one from Diptyque. It is not a scent that you could wear during the day, but is a great comforting scent for the evening. Great on a winter night.

Louw
Louw

I finally got round to trying this and was expecting great things...but for the first time ever, Diptyque let me down!

To me, it's a very sweet vanilla, with a hint of cardamom. All the other notes listed just seem to disappear on my skin.

Very nice if you like strong vanilla fragrances, but sadly not for me. I'll stick with Diptyque's Tam Dao instead!

Buena31
Buena31

Nice!very similar to Angelique noire guerlain!

JohnMc
JohnMc

Just bought this today and instantly fell in love with it after smelling a lot of 'so-so' scents. It's sweet sultry perfume like quality is very definitely on the far-end of what most would consider male fragrances, but as I also like the opposite 'power-house' end of the spectrum I don't feel the need to live up to others expectations. If I smelt this on a woman I would probably want to ravish her in a Jane Austen type way! Indulgent and yes, unisex for the bold male.

bronstein
bronstein

It's a nice vanilla scent and by the way not as expensive as some of you seem to think it is. However, I'm still not sure if it's wearable for men, too. And even if it is, perhaps I don't want to smell like a cookie.

***

In a nutshell, this is another simple but very good scent by expensive perfume house. If you spend some time with it, you will realize there is something difference/special about it. I don't think I have ever smelt anything like this before; Spicy sweet vanilla tea? So light so pleasant, but yet very long lasting. Odd one but it's actually wonderful and it mesmerizes me.

I've tried Eau Duelle today and I fell head over heels for it! I don't know exactly why. The lady in the shop told me it's a new green vanilla from Dyptique. I can't see any vanilla listed. It smells strong at first but then it fades away. It's still lingering on my wrist but in a very subtle way not noticeable. What I like most in this is probably the lemon-vanilla vibe. It gives me craves! I would eat my arm, but it's not a gourmand scent. It's true it reminds of old discontinued La Perla Eclix which made me same effect even if it was a much more gross scent compared to Eau Duelle. Besides this I won't probably purchase. Too weak and weird as signature scent and no rose in there.
I will try again for sure.

guest_ROUSAK
guest_ROUSAK

It smells sweat and nice.when i smelled this directly i bought it and i was really excited.. unfortunatly after a week i got bored of this.
It is stable and safe but not really noticable by others.Wearing it will not make you special it will make you only a normal person who smells good.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(solid Parfum review)

I'm coming back to this one because I've worn it more often and love, love, love it!

But now I know why. This is very similar to my Bois D'armenie, another incense/vanilla/benzoin fragrance. I LOVE this combination, it is so warm, deep and sultry.

Bourbon vanilla is one of my favorites, really shines here. the notes above are a little off, there are two types of vanilla but I can't remember the other type)

My one complain, and sorry, I must say it, is price. Asking $48 for .14 oz is plain foolishness.

So while I'm in love with this, I'm a practical gal and this price point does not get my business.

amwoir
amwoir

i have been trying to find something similar to la perla eclix and after having a spritz of this found it similar but to me its like a creamy lemon cheesecake smell, it doesnt last too long on my skin so i going to get the soap aswell to maybe give it a boost. good i you wanna smell like dessert maybe