Designers » D E » Oriental « Groups

L'Eau Diptyque for women and men

L'Eau Diptyque for women and men
dislike

cinnamon
L'Eau Diptyque for women and men Pictures L'Eau Diptyque for women and men Pictures

L'Eau by Diptyque is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. L'Eau was launched in 1968. The nose behind this fragrance is Desmond Knox-Leet. Top notes are cinnamon and rose; middle note is geranium; base notes are sandalwood and cloves.

Cinnamon Rose

Geranium

Sandalwood Cloves

Rousse
Potpourri

L'Eau Fragrance Reviews

JPS1979
JPS1979

I'm going to have to agree with Housebliss on this one. After about 3 hours, it smelled decent, but the initial blast of cinnamon is just too much for me. I enjoy cinnamon's presence, but this smells like a thick layer of kitchen cinnamon floating atop the rest of the fragrance. Without looking at the notes, I ordered a sample and assumed since I LOVE Estée Lauder Cinnabar, I'd love this. Oranges and apples; the two cannot even be compared as the ingredients vary. Perhaps my nose is not fully developed to appreciate this. I'll stick with my Volutes, 34 St. Germain and Oud Palao. Not for me.

archivist
archivist

L'Eau is fab - a little burny hot on the cinnamon in retro-olfaction which is odd, because I wear the HELL out of Mogadess, which is like 10x this strong and doesn't do that. L'Eau is like... Gypsy wagon spices. A little wood, something cottony soft like maybe a smidge of benzoin? And a crapload of cinnamon and clove and spice cabinet, but without the pungent ones (none of Sheldrake's cumin or coriander or turmeric, these are all hot-sweet spices, and zero fruit - zerozero - so it comes off a zinger, very omnigender.

Whether something is "too spicy" is super, super subjective. There are Thai restaurants where if you ask for four-pepper hot you'll get a seasoned dish, and others where you ask for four-pepper hot and you get something that is probably technically a bowl of self-defense pepper spray that would put a non-native in the hospital and may literally blister your lips and tongue. Some people here think this is wicked spicy and impossible to take, like mace in the face hot. I think it's pretty mild and soft. Definitely one to try, and bear in mind that if your threshold for sweet heat may be a lot higher than it is for others. I was honestly expecting this to rival Mogadess. As it is, it's a bit milder even than Rousse, perhaps a bit less rounded/soft than Rousse. And Rousse is, of course, significantly milder than Mogadess.

Any of the above can be worn by a woman who has some snap to her style. I think heat tempers sweet nicely and I really love a chili pepper note or cinnamon in my perfumes.

Housebliss
Housebliss

Amazing after 4 hours.

The first 2-3 hours however....the most foul-smelling stench I've had the displeasure of smelling.

It does smell like Big Red chewing gum at first. It smells like Big Red doused in cherry flavored cough syrup.

I was so mad after I sprayed my hand I couldn't see straight.

Very good longevity and sillage goddamnit!

Personal opinion of course, but I hate it. The drydown didn't save it.

khosro.zk
khosro.zk

Unique, interesting and natural fragrance. It smell a bit loud in first few minutes, but it will calm down. You just need to bear with it (in case that you don't like it). First, it is all about cinnamon and rose, and a touch of clove. After 1 hour, the rose lose its strength and geranium start shining, which adds a powdery like smell to it. later, after about 4 hours, the powdery vibe will be omitted and a creamy scent -comes from sandalwood and cinnamon, added with a tiny clove in background- will remain.

It's performance is decent. It stands 6-7 hours on my skin, and project well for 3-4 hours. After that it become skin scent. Or in other word, it goes to standby mode. When my body get warm (by activity or even by sunlight), the cinnamon gets alive again and make me feel blessed. I can't hide my grin on those times .....
It lasts longer and project better on fabric, but it will cost you losing its beautiful development......

L'eau by Diptyque is 100% unisex fragrance, for all people around the world who love cinnamon bread.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

This opens with a powerful waft of lumberyard - an old one, with ivy up the walls and tough old red geraniums planted near the office, the scent of their respective crushed leaves battling with the smell of various freshly sawn woods.

Sadly, since ivy and geranium are amongst my least favorite leaf notes, this did not work well for me.
It was a strong and somewhat nauseating start to a perfume I had been looking forward to trying. You would not want to start the morning with this if you were hungover or pregnant.

The opening is so far removed from the body of the perfume as to be a separate entity entirely.

As it settles, this fragrance sweetens considerably and there is a distinct sweet musk accord amongst faint cinnamon, pronounced carnation (NOT clove), soap and woods - although not sandalwood specifically.

It becomes much less challenging as it develops, although the sillage remains good.

This perfume is distinctive - having tried it once, I will recognize it forever - and it is perfectly unisex.

The overall effect carries a decided 'expensive' quality to it - no-one will ever think you are wearing a cheap perfume with this one.
But whether it is actually an enjoyable experience is a question to be answered by the wearer... :-)

Incidentally - The notes I got from this scent varied significantly from those listed, to the extent that I went back and checked my sample to make sure the right spray was in the right box. It was, and as it is a new, official, Diptyque sample I have no reason to doubt that it is the correct perfume.

sarahsr
sarahsr

It's headache inducing. Opens with a bang of clove and cinnamon, and dries down to a sickly, soapy smell on my skin. Like big red gum mixed with an old lady's handsoap. We are simply not made for each other, L'eau and I.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I think I will change my picture from the hummingbird moth to Godzilla. Lately I seem to be able to wear heavier scents, whether they are foral or spicy (just for the record, Opium, Poison, Shalimar and Mitsouko still don't like me). I tried a sample of L'Eau (purchased from Lucky Scent, thank goodness, because I can't test it otherwise) yesterday, and yes, this big spicy clove/cinnamon potion has befriended me. It does teeter between "potpourri sachet" and "wow, what is that incredible smell, is Queen Elizabeth from the Renaissance Faire in the room?" I enjoy reading about the Middle Ages and Renaissance periods, and as a result felt I needed to try this historical-based interpretation of something you might smell not necesssarily on a person of that time, but rather of what their house, and ambient surroundings might smell like. This scent would saturate everything, not just one's skin. I like L'Eau and plan to have it (for history's sake if nothing else), and what really sold me on it was I chose to wear it on a warm, humid day and felt it come alive; it was as if I was transported to a manor home from the 1500s and the lady of the house was giving me a tour, and whenever her skirts moved, you would smell this lovely perfume. L'Eau quieted down on me after about four hours, and there was more sweetness mingling with the clove and other spices as it became more of a skin scent. I love this period of history and this fragrance (happily) is compatible with me, and I get to have lovely Medieval tapestry-like images floating in my imagination while I'm wearing it!

WutheringMoors
WutheringMoors

I first sprayed this on at a perfume store, thinking it was Diptyque Eau Duelle, and was instantly horrified. It opens with an incredibly strong note of cinnamon, in fact I can smell little else. On the bus ride home I started to feel Ill and hoped I wasn't interrupting the people around me. This opinion is on a a background of loving diptyque fragrances and I was so shocked, that I instantly looked up the reviews on fragrantica. I was even more shocked that it had received so many good reviews! Anyway, after a while stuck on the bus, unable to find anything to help me wash it off, the scent settled down and became more creamy. The dry down was actually reasonably pleasant albeit a tad odd. It still smells strongly of cinnamon and some say it's a bit woody, to me it smelled quite festive and I could see a potential place for it in my life. Even though I started to like L'eau, the opening is a massive negative and I cannot wait that long for a perfume to become wearable. If it works on you then you're lucky, but it's not for me.

orabsolute
orabsolute

Timeless. But not in the sense of smelling like a classic perfume. Rather, it smells medieval, like it predates even the concept of perfume. It smells like what i imagine an ancient apothecary might smell like. Jars of spices lining wooden shelves. Tinctures and ointments to guard against bad humors and consumption. Teas made of something spicy and something floral and something from the small herb garden grown where the cat can't reach it.

Gothic without the postmodern baggage. Spicy without being synthetic. Evocative of potpourri without smelling like a midwestern living room. This is the perfect example of a perfume looking for a wearer. If this is your thing, you'll know it the instant you smell it. More fragrances should aspire to such uniqueness.

The cloves and cinnamon note are the leading in this fragrance, but the sandalwood base is also noticeable. But I can't say that this fragrance is intensive enough.

I'm not impressed by it.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is definitely a unisex fragrance, leaning toward the masculine. The spiciness reminds me of the smell of the bulk herb jars in my grandma's natural food store. Just a huge clove/cinnamon bomb on my skin, which would be wonderful except that it's tons of powdered cinnamon instead of cinnamon bark. I do see the resemblance to atomic fireball candies, although this fragrance is not sweet at all.. I think this would be a better fragrance if the rose and geranium were more prominent and the cinnamon were toned down a bit. This one is VERY strong! Apply sparingly. I don't think it's for me, but if you like spicy scents that aren't sweet this is definitely the one for you!

Gabriellitjie
Gabriellitjie

Odd, how perfumes react so differently on different skins - all I can smell is sharp geranium and nosy rose. Where, oh where, is the cinnamon, where are the cloves - the reasons I got L'Eau in the first place? And not even a hint of sandalwood. Doesn't last very long either? Oh well, back to the drawing board :-(

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

Clove dominates this fragrance. Oddly and surprisingly enough, despite the ultra powerful combo of clove and cinnamon, rose is able to pick its head through from time to time. However, as long as you try to see where it is, the rose note is then gone again, waiting for its next ambush.

The Shelter
The Shelter

This fragrance and me were born the same year...
I've a special feeling with this incredible spicy masterpiece!

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Holy-Moly : What a well made Oriental-Chypre!, totally clean, unsweetened rose petals dirtied by some cinnamon,cloves and cumin, fabulous - i'd rate Lumiere Noire Pour Homme probably the best rose based fragrance for men (ye, better than Le Labo's Rose 31) - this probably qualify as it's summer incarnation, it's lighter with moderate sillage but good longevity, the geranium softens the oriental blow a tad bit which makes it perfect for the climate in Malaysia..just can't praise this enough 7.5/10.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

L'Eau is magical. All at once it exudes cryptic medieval mystery, Victorian sentiment, and 60's rich hippie rock star ambiance. It's a blunt clove potpourri fragrance that was clearly the inspiration for the original Commes des Garcons, but look closer:as time goes on, a green, wet patchouli chypre becomes more apparent under the spices. Do not let the first impression of cheap citrus-spice toilet water fool you: L'Eau is a case in which the outstanding quality of ingredients transforms the whole enterprise. It lasts forever and smells wonderful with cigarettes. As with CdG, be prepared to withstand a lot of critcism for your fragrance choice, as everyone will say you smell like Christmas. Tell them that they are wrong, and that you actually smell like Marianne Faithfull and Mick Jagger on a trip to Tangier in 1968, which is the truth.

persefoni
persefoni

A magnificent cinnamon-cloves scent!! Long lasting, festive, luxurious, unusual, bold and definitely statement-making! Unique...

It smells very very natural, quite strong, and stays true to the original impression for hours on end! I'd say 84 € for 100ml isn't expensive, with such lasting power!

One of the very best and uttterly original scents i have....

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Oh my goodness. I sprayed on a generous amount of this after opening the bottle. I got flower candle, really strong, then a strong smell of potpourri in the home goods section of a department store and finally a spicy sort of candle. Again, this did not smell like anything a human should wear. I wouldn't even want a candle with this smell. Ugh! I'm glad this smells nice on a lot of people but it was definitely not me.

pipernigrum
pipernigrum

Cinnamon and clove in the beginning but later on a beautiful comfortable spicy and a little soapy and clean scent. Gorgeous!

shiverwithantici
shiverwithantici

I'm not fond of playing into the gender binary, so I will preface this review by acknowledging that society strongly influences what we consider to be "masculine" and "feminine", and one way it does this is through clever marketing. I strongly believe that ANYONE should be able to wear ANY fragrance without shame. I don't feel that there are any rules when it comes to fragrance, although the associations we have for certain types of scents are difficult or nearly impossible to transcend.

Understanding how my scent associations came to be, this fragrance just evokes "classy, impeccably groomed man" - the aromatic combination of fine, handcrafted soap, rich shaving cream, light sandalwood aftershave, and a hint of toothpaste - all the GOOD smells of a washroom before an elegant night out. This is unique, clean, timeless, understated, unpretentious sophistication, but very sexy because of those things, rather than in spite of them. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with a woman wearing this, but it's personally too masculine for me.

Broadbent
Broadbent

l'eau is just heavenly! It smells like the ground floor of the original 57th Street Henri Bendel circa 1977. Which was actually the Agraria pot pourri next to the front doors. Just delicious!

JToronto
JToronto

The cloves really dominate. When I was young, cloves were considered a good treatment for toothache. The clove spice was put in a little cheesecloth bag which you held in your mouth against the sore tooth. This perfume brings me right back to that moment (without the pain, thankfully!), and so to me it smells very clean and healthy. It seems to "clear the air" of any pestilence around me, which is a very medieval idea (strong spices were also used inside the masks worn by doctors dealing with the plague, in the mistaken belief that they prevented transmission of the disease). It's a strange scent, and I agree that any flowers there are completely overwhelmed by the spices. Having said that, I like it a lot and it is lasting very well on me. It's a true unisex, since there isn't musk or other really "male" scents in with the spices - I think this could be worn by a confident man or woman who didn't want to smell like anyone else.

lara0905
lara0905

The cinnamon is the most dominant note from the opening until the last phase. Cloves makes the scent spicy, the geranium is hiding behind these notes, I can hardly detect it. The aroma of sandalwood makes complete and finish the accord...after few hours just a creamy cinnamon breath left on my skin.

I agree, this scent is not for everyone.

Cereza
Cereza

Oh, yes, it opens with cinnamon, but soon the clove appears and it's so strong and spicy, that you have to love this note to enjoy this perfume. My relationship with clove are not set yet, so I'm excited to see how it works. So far it's just ultra spicy, bitter and strong clove i'm getting. It's almost medical and I bet no vampire would come near me :D. It has a silage that might kill other people around if applied in large amounts and tiny rooms :)
I'm actually a little bit disapointed, by now it's only clove, it's been 20 minutes and I still don't get any flowers or warmness of sandalwood I expect so much. I do love cinnamon so I'm very happy when it reappears after leting clove scream out loud.

It's an hour and still no flowers. Just spices. Makes me sad. Not for me, but for a spice/clove/cinnamon lover this could be the best stuff ever.

Adrien02
Adrien02

L'Eau was my first introduction to Diptyque and after experiencing this I have continued to purchase many more from them and never looked back. To me they can never do a bad fragrance. Not being a big fan of cloves I was surprised once I found out what notes were in L'Eau but perhaps the cinnamon had something to do with my liking it as I am a lover of cinnamon. These two notes dominate and overpower whatever rose should be there and only let it be known after they have stolen the limelight for a while but I forgive them.
This one is a keeper for me.

janudy
janudy

Red hots! This smells like those little red candies that are really spicy and packed with cinnamon. It doesn't really change much on my skin, but I find it perfect to wear on a gray, rainy day.

guest_efikillkiss
guest_efikillkiss

I bought this recently. Smells to me like acqua frizzante with carnation. It's fresh, at the beginning seems intense, but it calms down to a delightful, soft, ros-y perfume. The smell stays on clothes graciously for many hours. Let's say it's watery oriental, though I think too watery for winter. Nice and unusual, but i can't understand the high price, since you can find more interesting perfumes much cheeper. I hope it's the high quality... to blame. 30-10-2009, 11.54.

fotolux
fotolux

For me this scent is one of those that I've been searching without exactly knowing what i'm looking for. Too much cinnamon and too much clove in the beginning, but after an hour - wonderful base. Definitely not for everyone. Love it in the rainy September nights.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Diptyque L'Eau fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Diptyque L'Eau, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L'Eau by Diptyque. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L'Eau by Diptyque represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.