Designers » D E » Floral « Groups

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Diptyque for women

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Diptyque for women
dislike

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Diptyque for women Pictures L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Diptyque for women Pictures

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau ("Shadow in the water") is a female fragrance from 1983, based on the unusual and beautiful harmony of black currant leaf and Bulgarian rose, which blend perfectly together. This perfume was created by Serge Kalouguine, a famous French perfumer who dedicated 30 years of his life to the house of Fragonard. Read more about this fragrance in the article L'Ombre dans L'Eau ("Shadow in the water") from Diptyque.

Rose Cassis Black Currant Bergamot Mandarin Orange Ambergris Musk Black currant leaf

In Love Again
Iroaz
Roseberry

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Fragrance Reviews

Scrilla
Scrilla

I was picking roses and came back with leaves.
Macerated rose petals. Fresh, sticky cassis.
Beautiful, musky backdrop.

This fragrance captured me the moment I smelt it.

june7rose
june7rose

A beautiful green blackcurrant/rose that smells exactly like their Baies candle, made famous on Sex and the City. Not my usual kind of thing, but it's really gorgous, and unisex.

Lana148
Lana148

Sweet-green. At first L'Ombre Dans L'Eau smells like fresh cut grass. Then it becomes sweeter, the rose smell comes through. I can really smell black currant on the background.
Very natural and summery!

sophiesmystery
sophiesmystery

I may need to try this again, and will, because my first experience with 'L'Ombre' was not pleasant.

When I was little, my grandmother and I would go out into the garden and, while she dug, pulled, and pruned, I sat and absorbed all the smells. There was one scent which this perfume reminded me of - the sticky, sap-like aroma of the wild blackberry vines which would attempt to choke out the lilac. I find L'Ombre to neither be green, fruity, woody, or earthy. It's sticky, sappy, and a bit...odd, but that might have been on my skin. The currant leaf note was so overwhelming on me, without a hint of rose to be had. It's in the same basilic family as tomato leaf, which I find more endearing, but equally unpleasant as a perfume to wear on my skin.

I can see this for people who don't like most perfume - floral, smoke, Oriental, etc. If you like to smell like a bush of leaves, be my guest...

Alasse
Alasse

Really beautiful scent. I love the leafy and green feel of this. It reminds of my favourite Jo Malone (Blackberry and Bay) which has a similar feel to it. The two are only vaguely comparable though - definitely not the same scents.

Cheriemc
Cheriemc

This scent is amazing, I can't get enough. The tomato leaves and rose combination, wonderful. I only wish it lasted longer and projected more, I have the EDT so am going to try the EDP and see whether that retains the essence of what I love about this.

Juma
Juma

Wow, very unusual scent; first it hits you with raw black currant at spraying and fades in rosy casis leafs scent.Fruity Green, definitely worth to try, but it doesn't go on my wish list to buy a bottle.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

Romantic, defiance and abandon of the ordinary. A rose tangled in thorns and greenery. Bold and inconquerable except for the rains. Rounded and creamy on the shutdown, soapy, always with the dark currant underneath. If the year 1919 had a scent, this would be it.

asia.oracz
asia.oracz

This fragrance is the smell of my grandmother's garden, the smell of my childhood - gorgeous.

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

This is a rose based fragrance that is unisex and a confident man could easily wear it.

The rose/citrus accord which is not uncommon, and makes the rose a little less flowery, is further modified by a green leafy note. I would not have known it was blackcurrant leaf, but it has that slight green astringent quality that geranium or tomato leaf can add, but less harsh. There is a soft base, which must be a little ambergris modified by the fruity note.

The overall effect is something subtly floral but fresh. Imagine cutting roses on a summers evening....the soft rose and also the slightly astringent green quality

It's not heavy and not challenging and stays fairly linear after the drydown, but it is pleasing.

On my skin, surprisingly it has excellent longevity for an EDT, over ten hours and modest 'armslength' projection even with only 2 sprays. With 4 or 5 sprays there is quite noticable sillage.

Great for warm weather casual or a summers evening. Defintely worth trying.

JaiTee
JaiTee

Smells like fresh leaves...I can almost feel my hay fever starting up!

Edit: decided to try this again today. I spritzed one spritz on each arm after moisturizing with some apricot kernel oil and the longevity has been really good. It has been five hours and the perfume is still going strong -- I can catch little bursts of the scent periodically without having to even bring my wrists near my nose.

Today, I can smell a young rosebud. The scent is tender, and I can also smell the green leaves and stem, as if the bud has just been torn off the rosebush and some stem juice got on my fingers.

This is a very quiet, yet substantial fragrance because of its surprising sillage. I am really impressed and recommend this if you are looking for a gentle rosey green scent.

Update: FBW.
This works so well with my skin chemistry. I get strong sillage for 8-9 hours, and by hour 12, it wears closer to skin, but I can still smell it a couple inches away.
I love that it alludes to rose, but isn't in your face about it.

The scent of leaves cuts the sweetness and makes this a unisex scent, too.

craftyminx
craftyminx

The EDP of this smells like working in a rose garden. It's a very fresh, green scent, and I know it's technically tomato leaf and rose, but all I could smell was the stems of a rose, like pruning a rosebush.

Silkpuppet
Silkpuppet

L'Ombre Dans L'eau ("Shadow in the water") was named for the reflection of the blackcurrant bush upon a tranquil pool and that epitomizes this scent. It opens with a very cold, icy burst of rose and lots of greenery. Those who have entered a forest after the rain know this fragrance well. Gradually the blackcurrant leaves come out along with some cassis. While all diptyque scents are unisex, I truly find this to be very masculine (which is not necessarily a bad thing, I wear some men's scents) and much too green for my tastes. While I would not wear it, I find L'Ombre to be a very beautiful blend of notes and yes, if you love the Baies candle, this is essentially the same scent.

nastyamason
nastyamason

I am a big fan of black currant leaf because it reminds me of my childhood at the summer house in Russia where we grew black currant bushes. I was absolutely sure that this is the fragrance for me and bought Baies room spray blind. Luckily, I also bought L'Ombre samples, both EDT and EDP. I am so glad I did because I do not like the scent. It is quite harsh and not reminiscent of black current bushes I know. I have to admit, I might have been spoiled by Enchanted Forest, which is spot on my memories of black current. However, this is not even pleasant to me. I am yet to try Baies room spray but this personal fragrance is a big disappointment for me. Please sample it first, this is not for blind buy.

louisese
louisese

Very unique scent with those green and fresh notes, and than the woody..sinking me into a garden.

It's not very easy to wear with this smell of Unisex and little bit citrus.
staying power is good, but absolute can't mix with any sweat on skin, so it is much more sophisticated on fabric during winter.

pelega
pelega

exactly Ysl's İn love again and ysl is cheaper than

happyscent
happyscent

Diptyque l'ombre dans l'eau - this wow me!, I can't put my finger on this but it is floral, woody, with a bit of vanilla and citrus, it just make me smile

jasmin5327
jasmin5327

My absolute favourite scent. I remember the first time smelling it, I was blown away. I've since been collecting any product related to the scent, including Diptyque Baies collection. The smell of berries and roses blend perfectly and leave a warm feeling to the heart. It's as if you're surrounded by beautiful bouquets of blossoms. Though I have to admit the longevity of EDT is sometimes disappointing, I have had many friends complimenting the scent when they smelled it. Especially I recall my friends would say every time they visited my place, they could smell the scent from the hallway. L'ombre dans l'eau lives up to its gorgeous name, hands down one of the best fragrances created.

cremedefleur
cremedefleur

The shadow that moves across the water is the ghost of the nightingale who dies for love in Oscar Wilde's The Nightingale and The Rose.When I was a child I read this story the way monks pray, searching for meaning, reading the words until they were a chant, an invocation. But what I remember the most and what was so pleasing to me as a girl, were the flowers, the roses, that took on life and meaning in his tales of heartbreak. In this one, a nightingale is so moved by a young man's first love and so sad that he cannot give his love a rose (for it is winter,) that the nightingale presses her heart into a thorn and cries her soul every night, gradually imbuing the rose with the truest color red from her own heart's blood. The moon shone on the petals of this spiritual rose and caught the boy's eye...the story goes that he was rejected because another boy gave her jewels. But the reader and the creatures of the forest know what went into the rose. When I wear this perfume, I am the nightingale dying for love because love is so precious. I am a young naive bird who, in a cold, wet forest, has given my life for this rose...simultaneously I am the life all around the rose, I am the rose with all life scintillating around me. This perfume, is as the writer below put it, a poem. The rose has a dark heart--a heart of mystery and wisdom, but the colors it evokes, wet from the dew drops on the petals, are so joyfully saturated. This is a poem and a perfume to drape along with your veil on your wedding day or on any day of love. The black currant won't let you forget the girl you once were, the one who got lost in her dreams in the fairy tale forest, and the bulgarian rose celebrates the wisdom, beauty, sensuality and exuberance of your womanhood. Wear this and know you are loved by all the flowers and birds of the world.

Chri76
Chri76

L'ombre dans l'eau... An olfactive poetry... I've tried a sample just a few days ago and I loved it at first sniff... At first, it's an explosion of very natural green notes, then a wonderful and pure Bulgarian rose, slightly softened by fruity notes of blackcurrant, emerges and lasts forever. It is a secret garden full of memories.
A big thumb up.

khatsar
khatsar

When I put my nose to the bottle, I understand the concept of this perfume and what it is meant to be. Very green, herbal, but sweet and carefree with a shimmery aquatic feeling reflected in the name of the fragrance. Nestled in the background is a gorgeous, intoxicating rose. Unfortunately L'Ombre dans L'Eau just doesn't transfer to my skin that way. :( On my chemistry, the happy verdant notes transform into a tenacious blast of angry and nausea-inducing tomato leaf, followed by a timid rose that stays too close to my wrist to warrant putting it on in the first place.

As an experiment, I layered with the sweet rose-heavy Givenchy Very irresistible and LOVED the result.

Looking at this bottle makes me hate my chemistry. :(

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

Beautiful dreamy green scent. I can hear Slowdive when wearing this one.

Houdini and lalalovesroses hit it on the head.

Put quite simply...this has to be one of the greenest fragrances I've ever smelled!
The moment I tries it in the store I exclaimed "woah!!! GREEN!" Immediately, to which I got a few odd looks for talking to myself such was the impact of this juice.
Not in a freshly mowed grass way, or an astringent floral way or even a boring linear chlorophyl kind of way. This has a depth and wonderful character to it which really impressed me it really is more reminiscent of wandering through a fragrant garden in the height of spring. I like rose when used sparingly as it is here and you get the freshness of berries. I'm not sure what cassis smells like to be perfectly honest but you get a pleasant leafy vibe throughout.
So there you are then another great fragrance from Diptyque. I'm really enjoying their stuff, the brand image and scents have a natural vibe to them similar to Jo Malone.

lalalovesroses
lalalovesroses

Listening to chillwave, drinking a full glass of ice water then spritzing Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is what I would call "Shadow in the water"

The dreamy, shoegazing sounds of whispers and synth touch on the icy feel of the water and aromatic qualities of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau. The music is like a soft shadow, starts off melodiously with celery and black currant leaf notes. Purely green - a naturopath's paradise. Five minutes in, a violin ensemble of budding roses and black currants bewitches the consciousness. Offbeat yet so softly feminine. The bundles of black currants are sour, unripe and organic, neither candied nor syrupy. The black currants never overpower, always subdued with the timbre of black currant leaf and cassia. The transition from middle notes to dry down is simply enthralling. The rose and black currant lose their character as woodsy ambergris and classical musk stirs, as if the freshness had dematerialized. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau lingers from morning to twilight for a full 7 hours, and flourishes with medium to heavy sillage.

L'Ombre Dans L'eau is an abstract yet down to earth experience of sorts. Best enjoyed with a glass of chilled water on a clear, early summer's day.

Albin
Albin

I've been with the EDP version in my arm for about 20 hours. Longevity is definitely ENORMOUS, proyecting pretty well too. I don't like it that much, though, Philosykos is the jewel of the brand, in my opinion.

Gilsan
Gilsan

Love this its a warm marchmallow, honey mellon on me.
It starts of like a tomato plant but quikly turns to strait up raip fruits and a calming musky vanilly. The stying power is good.

Seemi
Seemi

Dear oh dear oh me!!!! Well all I can say is I have tried oh so many times to love this fragrance but I just can't. This vile concoction stinks and makes me feel sick. I have a full bottle that was gifted to me now im stuck with it. I don't want to throw it out as I know good money was paid for this. I'm truly sad I can't make this work for me. Maybe at a later day we will get along, but for now back to the dresser drawer for you.

Fizzy
Fizzy

If you are onto true natural smells, this one is for you, assuming, you love blackcurrant leaves. I have no idea, if Diptyque is using synthetic or naturally raw stuff, but this juice smells so naturally black currant leaves, that you almost think being in the black currant bushes.

Kiku
Kiku

This is a fruity and watery scent and I have to admit, fruitys and aquatics are two of my least favorite fragrance families. Nevertheless, it's not bad. The center is candied fruit: fun and sweet without being too sweet. The aquatic note is just right also: clean and clear rather than sweaty and salt watery. "L'ombre" is happy and cheerful and lighthearted. Probably too casual for the office or for a formal event but it would be just right for a day at the beach or a picnic in the park.

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

I might be guilty of loving Diptyque too much. But I also might be guilty of overlooking this fragrance. Gave it a sniff, liked it, gave the room spray Baies a sniff - seemed fine. But! Finally I gave in. This is amazing. Amazing! In case you didn't hear me the first time. Not for everyone though and I can totally understand how some people absolutely hate it.

I love gardens,forests and green scents. I love scents that capture memories or nature. Eau de lierre and ninfeo mio are like that to me, as of now, l'Ombre joins in too. Do you know this song by Nick Cave and Kylie "where the wild roses grow"? Do you remember that beautiful video? Well, this perfume is IT.

Dark, leafy, dense casis in the shade, roses with droplets of cold water on them, blackcurrants staining your cold skin. This is green yet incredibly dark and mysterious. I am in love. Nothing dainty and delicate about it, this is that sexy yet scary dense, dark green forest, where the wild roses grow and their thorns might cut your skin. And yes, I just called a forest sexy.
(EDP)
Thank you Diptyque.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

I could not believe how beautiful the opening is. It smelled like the English countryside to me. Well, a very idylic country side, more the image of a sweet idylic English village bottled as a scent.
If you ever watched the series Midsummer Murders, you might have an idea what I'm talking about.
There's blackcurrant leaf, a little hint of citrus (mandarin mainly), a light cassis and beautiful rose. It is green, innocent, sweet, and airy.
I was absolutely amazed by its brilliant yet simple beauty and thought I might have found my perfume soulmate.
In a few minutes though, the cassis and blackcurrant became overpowering and almost sickly sweet. Almost, not quite. I do like it still, it's quite beautiful, but it's a bit of a disappointment after the brilliant opening.
Every now and then though, I can catch a little whiff of the spicy green leaves and delicate rose of the opening. And that makes me perfectly happy.

Caprice
Caprice

Bought it a couple of weeks ago and completely disappointed... Not mine at all ((

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

~* Review for the Eau de Toilette *~

L’Ombre Dans L’eau was a riskier purchase for me, since it was a blind buy. I have to agree with the many reviews that it does remind you of a garden. It is amazingly green, leafy, and almost vegetal for the first couple of hours. A few hours into the fragrance it becomes a wild rose that is absolutely beautiful crisp and fresh. I find this fragrance to be invigorating soft and feminine. It’s a great green rose and is unique maybe even a little quirky. It is simple but captivating. L’Ombre Dans L’eau is subtle but it blooms in the heat very similar to a real garden.

Out of curiosity I asked my friends what they thought of the smell. One of them claimed in was a smell that you might come across in a lotion and the other friend thought it was kind of soapy and clean.

I think it is a combination that many would be confused by and would find unfamiliar and hard to describe. Not sure if its perfume that everyone can appreciate, but I really enjoy wearing it. If you ever happen to come across this give it a try you might be surprised.

So far it is actually my favorite Diptyque. <3

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

This is a beautiful fragrance. By all rights, it should smell beautiful & light, but there is a bit of a dark characteristic here, a sense of "coolness" is carried off well. What could be a simpering fruity floral, or one more "berry rose" combo, is a bit more interesting here. There is an accord that almost doesn't fit but adds edge. A slinky oilyness, that seems iridescent, I believe this is also the tomato leaf scent that people are getting. It reminds me a bit of the same sharpness in Malle's "Carnal Flower." Not in composition, mind, but the effect of what should be nothing but tender beauty, in here, lies something darkly poisonous. The roses are light & tender, pink fairytale roses, growing in the ivy up the shady side of the castle. The shady side by the bridge, where the river runs deep and dangerous. Where scary things lie in shadows, and you've been told not to swim in the dark, cold water. The notes really run true for me, but I detect an added "minerallic" quality like in a soft red wine, that smells cool, as it tastes cool on your tongue. Very intriguing overall, and I will definitely test again. It may be a FB worthy fragrance, time & more testing will tell. Do I like it, without a doubt! Do I love it, I don't know yet.. But its growing on me like a well done red wine.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

This is my least favourite of all Diptyque fragrances, I can only smell tomatoes on the vine.
I have tried so hard to smell the roses and the flowers but I get a constant, linear, green, vegetable and leafy smell.
You either 'get' this scent or you don't and I have been advised to try to bond with it over time. That was also what I was told about Lanvin Arpege , but it never happened :-(
Perhaps I will, but for now, I'll put this on the back burner and hope that one day it will appeal to my olfactory senses.

JoeMacchiato
JoeMacchiato

i love the green opening. The leafiness counteracts with the cassis and rose, striking a balance that is beautiful on the skin.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

This is a unique perfume!

A citrusy opening with lemon, then tomato and green notes bring some fresh and watery feeling.

Evokes a green park full of fruity trees, a waterfall behind and riding with your partner.

Then, we can detect cassis playing well with the other notes with its sweet acid accord. i do like this part a lot.

So natural on my skin and i think it is a sensual fragrance.

Go and try this one!
:D

krayolakolorz
krayolakolorz

First I want to start out explaining how much of a fan I am of the Baies candle. I have been buying it for years since 2003 when I first smelled it at Neiman Marcus. Never really researched to see if there was a corresponding fragrance. I placed an order last week for a sample. Just came in today. Couldn't wait to smell it so I sprayed it on me right in the car. The first initial smell was very, very strong. Honestly it wasn't pleasant at all. Sharp green notes: Moss and Cassis hit you aggressively upon first spray. So much so it almost reminded me of how an old madame would smell. Earthy combined with some type of cigarette/cigar smell. I gave it some time though and WOW! Soon enough it quiets to a comforting rose and sensual black currant. If you like Baies it is exactly the same scent. The scent is intoxicating.

Like walking through the secret garden as dusk falls. Surrounded by roses you walk ahead as you feel the soft moss between your bare toes. You reach the center of the garden where a stone statue and pond greet you. Leaning down you sit and reach your feet out to the cool water. Laying back onto a bed of moss the moon calls fireflies to comfort your mind as you listen to the sounds of the evening. I just love this scent!

meama
meama

200) A Perfect Picnic
L'ombre dans l'eau evokes the scent of a green garden by the water. Fortunately, here, no aquatic notes smelling oyster or melon (Invictus?), No,'the idea of water is rather suggested by an effect of air wetness and vegetation moisture.
The first impression is very green, tomato leaves, cassis and galbanum, announcing the rose that grows slowly, subtly. We already perceive a woody background, oak moss and vetiver, almost chypré, which reinforces the impression of underbrush, earth and vegetation impregnated of clammy heat.
There are few scents that smell natural rose as if it had just been discovered in the shade of a bush, in a leafy garden, in the declined summer day.
Very good longevity and sillage.

nikoleta1

Wearing this one today, amazing longevity and strength, it is just edt, but old concept of edt when it meant not diluted frag. Green and beautiful, masterpiece. You can really smell leafs of current. Today i mixed it up with Lola for little sweetness. Beautiful. I am enjoying every inhale of this smell.

MLK

I have done a complete turn around on my previous review of this fragrance. I am now in love with this and have purchased 3 bottles!!! Once I initially get over the astringent green opening, which only lasts for about 10-15 minutes, then it settles into this soft rose and black currant leaf fragrance which is so elegant. I find that the tomato plant note that put me off this perfume has now toned down for my nose and I love it now.... Especially when mixed with Philosykos, also by Diptyque, it is very special. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm addicted. Diptyque fragrances are amazing!!!!
For those of you who are not sure about this fragrance because of the initial strong "tomato leaf" smell - just keep trying this perfume - I did and I have never looked back. It is truly a beautiful, haunting fragrance and one of my favourites.

chirobi
chirobi

I was recently dining in a cafe. Turned the corner to go to the counter, and a cool, green, currant scent wafted over to me. I thought to myself, "Gee, they've go amazing air freshener!" After sniffing the air a few more times, I realized that it was L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, and all of it was emenating from one source: a lone woman sitting in the corner. She confirmed that she was wearing this perfume, and confessed that all her body products are L'Ombre Dans L'Eau (hence the massive projection). Had it been any other perfume, it might have been annoying, but it was an open and airy cafe, and scent was dewy and refreshing.

Now, I've sampled this several times over the last few years, and it's been on my wishlist for the past year, but after this experience--and not to diminish how amazing this smells--I wonder if it would work better as a home fragrance.

EDIT May 9, 2014: I finally purchased last fall, even though I think it would work better as a home fragrance. I just love the scent, and it's much easier to spray on the perfume than to carry a lit candle around with me.

Sofia24
Sofia24

It did surprised me..Definitely got its own character. There is a lot of tomato leaves in here, fresh and unripe black currants and rose buds, very morning and dewy... My favorite scent in summer! Works like air condition and a sip of iced lemonade! Longevity is superb!

kazewayz
kazewayz

To me the initial smell of this reminded me of passion fruit for some reason. It's fruity, floral, powdery, and aromatic. It then got warm and sweet on my skin. Definitely works better on a women. Not a bad fragrance, it is quality. Try it.

jamjazz
jamjazz

Very aromatic floral. I understand why people think this smells similar to Chanel 19, however they have not much in common, apart from the very green top and very floral heart.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

Smell like Chanel 19 EDT with more ,more fruits :)
Light and pretty !

pdxhb
pdxhb

Today was the first day of the year that the weather was a little more heavily warm, with that slight humidity of summer in the woods. I drove home from work through the hills with the windows down to feel the cool damp air and to smell the foliage. It instantly cooled me off and let my mind settle down. I get the same feeling from L'Ombre dans L'Eau EDT: a cooling green scent but with some weight to it, not a cologne or something trying to be lighter than a full-strength fragrance. The EDT lasts and lasts on my skin and is still strong on a blotter after a day, giving off that distinctivee tomato leaf impression. If you don't like the smell of fresh plants in the garden as part of your fragrance, my guess is that this would not be your scent. That said, testing is, of course, in order because of the rose - which could come out more strongly.

The green notes are pretty striking on my skin while the rose is soft and lingers behind and around, adding an atmosphere of the garden more than a specific floral scent. I've been known to love a floral rose fragrance but this is different and the drydown does not go into a powdery or soft drydown where so many go. Instead there is a slightly sharp green scent that follows throughout. That edge reminds me some of the raspy green opening of Ninfeo Mio.

In my opinion, this could work equally well on a man even though it's marketed as a woman's fragrance.

stacia79

I have realized lately that another note I have unknowingly gravitated toward is currant. I have lost count of the number of favorite perfumes now that when I go to look up the notes contain red currant, black currant, or cassis. So I suppose it's no surprise that I enjoy L'Ombre dans L'eau (Shadow on the Water) by a company I previously only associated with expensive candles. It smells very real. Real red roses hiding out beneath ferns in a rain soaked garden. It's very green. That's the color I see when I smell it. Green leaves, green vines, green stems. More rosebush than roses. It is not your typical rose perfume. It makes me think of a child mashing up flower petals and leaves with a rock and smearing the juices to make colors on the sidewalk. It reminds me of sudden showers in the early summer that last all of 5 minutes, the sun shining all the while. It is the beautiful essence of running barefoot over pine needles and moss, past wild rose bushes, laughing and enjoying my childhood. Herbal and uplifting, I want to gift a bottle of this to a friend who is going through a hard time. I feel that this could give her a power she forgot she ever had.

skysongz
skysongz

This is something I would happily wear to sleep. The rose is not at all powdery, and it leaves a sweet aura that isn't cloying. The greenness is light, not overpowering or acrid.

Definitely a 'you smell good' scent not a 'your perfume smells good' scent.

I prefer the EDT over the EDP - they are very similar, but the EDT contains ambergris, and lower projection - which I prefer. It just feels like a scent for yourself and those you'd allow to get close, not something to announce to the world. The longevity of the EDT is excellent though!

MLK

I have tried to love this perfume as I love green scents. I am totally addicted to Philosykos at the moment and I want to be able to love L'Ombre Dans L'eau as well. I have a small vial sample of L'Ombre and I have sprayed it on my skin a few times. I hate the strong astringent opening, it is horrible to start off with, but after about 10 minutes the green notes become a bit softer and I can start to smell some of the rose notes.
I will give it another try as with many Diptyque fragrances it takes time to love some of them. I didn't like Philosykos the first time I sprayed it on and now I am truly obsessed with it and have bought the 50 and 100 ml bottles.
I will update if I end up loving l'Ombre Dans l'eau....I really hope so as I love Diptique.

Update: I went home and sprayed some on my arm and waited to see if I like it - a few hours later and I still could not get over the very dry, green topnote. It just smells like I am walking through my dad's tomato plants (which does not appeal to me and I cannot smell the rose at all).....I wish I could love this fragrance but unfortunately on my skin - it just does not work. Good on you all that can wear this one, I just will stick with Philosykos.
Second Update: I've finally found a way to wear L'Ombre Dans L'eau - I mix it with Philosykos and it softens the tomato leaf smell and makes it more wearable for me. I DO like it and sometimes I find myself wanting to spray this on. I have bought a bottle and I am sure it will last me a while. It does dry down to a beautiful, soft scent that I can cope with..... Like I said before, Diptyque fragrances do take a while to "grow on you".

hadassa
hadassa

Oh, what a cassis/black currant galore!

Being partly Eastern European originally, I am more than enamored with this strong and unusual scent. It has an almost aromatherapeutic quality, it is relaxing. When I smell it I feel I stand in the middle of my grandma's garden, where she had black currant bushes; the soil is damp and fruitful, the sun shines, the wind is fresh, and I am a child, full of life and energy :)

Optimism and joy in a bottle. For me, a definite winner. However, if you aren't into natural, vegetal perfumes, pass on this one. It does not smell like a perfume, it smells like plants!

In five words: simple, vegetal, black currant, gardening, unisex.

One more thing...
Though I am glad to have this scent, it is not a fragrance I would wear out unless it was a Medieval Costume Party, or a Full Moon Drumming Circle, or perhaps a funeral.

It is a uniquely sensual experience to wear it. I will wear it for myself ... maybe once a year to commemorate a particular life-changing event.

As a newbie, studying this fragrance has been an invaluable learning experience as well.

A worthy journey.

ecp

This scent is fascinating...a blind buy and I'm glad to have it.
It starts out cool and foggy with strong musty Rose. Upon my first whiff its impact immediately stimulated a flood of sensory memories, eliciting a powerful sensuous response. Words flowed through as I inhaled... Dark, Rose, Nighttime, Musty,Dense,Sweet, Deep,Mossy forest, Wet Boggy Creekbed, Nocturnal creatures.

Flecks of very Sour Green Citrus began to play hide-n-go-seek. Then it warmed up briefly with a vague Aromatic spicy smell of a lady's chamber in Medieval times. The wet, heavy, dark Rose was a constant.

The finale left me smelling like a Water Mocasin Snake, which emits a strong, pungent secretion from it's anal glands when threatened. These snakes live near water and hide in the shadows of creekbeds, in densely forested shade. Solid Black, fataly poisonous though non-aggressive.

If there were a contest to come up with a new name for this perfume, "Water Mocasin" would be a perfect fit.

guest_Vie Cafe

I feel like I need to say this but, it is very much my thing to roll around in a dirty garden and smell utterly greenish and tomato-ey. Green enough to give someone a throbbing headache on the wrong day. I don't give a damn if a man does not find me sexy wearing this, it's sensual in a raw way. I also get a strong tomato leaf vibe and this is ok with me! I like tomato plants and I like to smell them :)

I feel like I am sitting on the fresh dewy grass of a riverbank and I am looking at the shadows dancing on the water.... (Ombres dans l'eau). I am loving life in a crazy spontaneous laughter kind-of-way. Green is the new sexy for me today.

This perfume opens with an astringent green note, very aromatic and sharp due to musk and cassis together.... strange combination! I get a feeling that the musk is there only to hold the cassis note to the rose note, as they seem to be trying to split apart from each other in a dissonant way that I find so charming and shocking. I am having trouble finding the ambergris, but it is probably the magic here.... it blends so perfectly! The fruits are acidic and tart (citrus and berries) and the rose is dewy/unripe, not velvety or not even girly... a greenish rosebud.

Iconic EdT and now eau de parfum, since 1983...( I have the new EDP version, merci Manevitt!!!)

*rolllsssss around in the cassis and roses, laughing hysterically, hugging bottle of L'Ombre dans l'Eau*

I love this perfume. It's original and it is quite an experience!! Do not expect to smell "perfumey" with that one. You'll only smell very natural and fairy-like.

Axum
Axum

I wore this today, to a garden concert. It felt just right to smell of dewy green stems and peppery-salty roses at that moment, with real roses blooming in the cool air all around.

I have the EDT version, which is light, yet lasting. L'ombre dans l'eau projects moderately, which is ideal - rose fragrances that project too strongly can be overwhelming to the wearer and bystanders.

nikoleta1

Got the bottel today, love it, the smell is so original for 1983, love a black currant smell, the new one to have for currant lovers is Enchansed forest by Elena, love that one too.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

Ombré dans l'eau is so gorgeous and addictive I cannot stop wanting it. I thought I was over my "rose" phase but this brought me right back . It's so fresh so natural ! Indeed more green and aromatic than rosy , it smells like very fresh roses in a garden full of herbs. The well discussed tomato leaf smell is strong even pungent . It's almost a field cultivated with tomato plants decided to make roses instead of red tomatoes. Incredible! After a while this crispness loses some edge and a honey note edges , but not enough to sweeten the juice. I have the edt concentree and the silage is fantastic with good lasting power; so far the strongest Diptyque I sampled . This perfume is marvellous and unique, energizing and sexy, youthful and confident . A modern masterpiece !

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

Fruit punch with a handful of tomato leaves thrown in. Nauseating. If this is Billy Idol's favorite scent, he can keep it.

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

I got the eau de parfum version of this fragrance. It was love at first sniff. I was aiming for a more woody and oriental type of rose fragrance at the store and ready to pay for a bottle of Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud until I took a quick sniff of this. Changed my mind and paid for it without a thought. It's fresh and beautiful and very different from the roses that I'm used to. I'll not wear it in the winter but will definitely wear it often in the hot summer.

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Got a 12 ml atomizer free,sadly i find it more befitting a woman, rose..blackcurrents..figs..nice blend though 7/10

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

This seems to get the nod when someone on the forum is looking for a herbal scent. I don't quite get a "herbal" vibe though, for that I look towards Tauer's Reverie au Jardin, this comes across more a fresh rose and green leaves of plants, both fresh and lush. I adore the name. It's so prettily poetic and the short story behind the perfume on the Diptyque site suits the name perfectly. Does the perfume suit the name? I believe so. It gives a nice cool breeze upon wearing it with the scent of the rose and all things green and living coming across, making one calm and collected. It's very much like the story-sitting at the edge of a dark and still pond in a bountiful but not disorganized garden. It's got that "simple/zen" vibe that Diptyque scents all seem to be and it's wonderful and uncomplicated in the wearing. Sillage is medium and longevity is very good.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This fragrance I would not categorise as floral or fruity, but as aromatic. There may well be rose and blackcurrant in this, but all I can smell is blackcurrant leaf and the lightest hint of rose, that really takes on more of a geranium impression here. And a bucket load of Cassis. It smells amazing - green and bitter and rather herbal. It softens more in the dry-down with the appearance of the amber, but remains an aromatic green scent.
It's very invigorating and fresh and I think would be fantastic in hotter weather. Really quite unisex too, my boyfriend liked it a lot.
For me though it's almost too realistic. The scent is vibrant and alive - it feels like you're walking through a dense herb garden, drinking in the fragrance emanating from around you. But in a way, as beautiful as this is, I don't want to smell like it personally.
Wonderful, just not for me. (Based on the EDT)

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

I liked Chanel No. 19 but was too upset at its abysmal strength and lasting power to purchase it. Here is the wise alternative, hissy vegetal green, extremely strong and lasting! And as an added benefit, Diptyque has a cooler image than Chanel anyway. I'll have to get some for next summer.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

This scent is rather unexpected, as on the first sniff I am thinking tomato plants but then it dawns on me...this smells like freshly crushed cassis fruits and leaves and currant bush in my garden, on a wet day.
When I was little, my granny used to collect these and make tea so this scent immediately reminds of my childhood summer holidays spent in a huge garden under the currant bushes.
It is very potent, longevity is amazing. I keep getting whiffs of it and thinking wow I smell interesting....in a good way!
What an unusual and amazing perfume this is and yes I would love a full bottle of it.

Gabi310
Gabi310

It took me over a year to warm up and truely appreciate this captivating and mysterious fragrance with the most expressive name. It's not the usual powdery sweet rose but the most life-like earthy, dewy rose that grows wild, hidden in the deep of a forest. The opening is sublime and it only gets better with time. It's a bit melancholic and very romantic. I'm so glad I've never stopped trying it otherwise I would have dismissed one of the most unique scents out there.

guest_Vie Cafe

I would suggest Kamicha's opinion for a PERFECT and accurate review of this interesting perfume. She speaks of l'Ombre dans l'Eau so well!!

It is sharp, green and astringeant, and super sweet. I am in love with this, it smells like nothing else. Very long lasting on me.

From the reviews and personal experience, I find that a lot of people have to give it a second chance or a LOT of second chances in order to love it. Definitely not for everyone and that's ok.

TerryM
TerryM

Love rose, but this is so sweet and cloying on me. Initial reaction was a nice and soft rose scent but after a couple minutes it transforms into something way too fruity. Oh well...will stick with my Rose the One!

Kamicha
Kamicha

Gosh, this is gorgeous! Crushed green cassis leaves served with yummy rose marmalade.

Aggressively green, sweet and sour, fresh to almost astringent heights... ...a composition which probably messes up your concept of pretty roses for ever. If you are more into aromatic and green scents than straightforward florals you will probably love it. Even if not - it has a chance, this one is a brutal charmer. The green elements do some magic to the rose, it stays unusually realistic and fresh on the skin for the whole lifeline of the scent.

Still I find it somehow romantic - dark romantic even - like neglected and overgrown but still very beautiful garden with hidden ponds and fountains; the growth haphazardly revealing patches of bright light and creating deep shadows - both equally inviting. Its charm is effortless. It does not try to please, it just is.

It's not my everyday scent, but I find myself being in a mood for it quite often these days.

clover.chen
clover.chen

when i first smelt this i loved it, it was the standout scent from diptyque for me. later when i received a sample of it to try, i was happy to be able to test this out over a period of time. i liked it for its soft fruity frehsness, it didnt strike me as a rose scent. over time i found myself hating this fragrance more and more. i have tried two diptyque scents, this and doson, both left the impression of freshness but when i actually test it out, i find both to be very very stifling. it still smell the same as when i first sniffed it at the store, but it is giving me a headache now when i am around this smell. i can not imagine wearing this on a hot summer day. i feel like i have to grasp for air.

Grottola
Grottola

I discovered Diptyque by chance at Nordstrom's today, and was of course both surprised and excited. To think, another niche brand I've been meaning to try, that I don't have to order samples of on Luckyscent anymore!

I was very hesitant to try L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, given that it's a rose fragrance (rose being one of the worst notes on my skin), and the tomato leaf comparisons. Luckily, I was highly impressed and ended up purchasing a bottle.

I would classify L'Ombre Dans L'Eau as a green woody floral. Rose is obviously the star here, but there are two rose facets brought out in this fragrance: one is a smoky, woody facet, kind of a peppery smell. In a way, sort of like Czech & Speake No. 88. The other facet is, of course, vegetal greenery. Tomato leaves? Yes, to an extent, but the dark, dry, smokiness balances it out to make this probably the best rose fragrance I've ever had on my skin. The dry, earthy pepperiness also brings to mind Terre d'Hermes or Chanel Sycomore, but only in certain parts. The fragrance lasts for quite awhile (I can still smell the base after 10 hours), and it projects extremely well - when I sprayed this on in Nordstrom's, each of the saleswomen I walked past commented on how good I smelled. This was from one spray on my arm. This stuff is seriously potent, so go easy.

I think L'Ombre Dans L'Eau would smell great as a nocturnal scent, but I also think it would really come to life on hot, sweaty skin during the summer. I know I'm definitely gonna try that out, and I look forward to trying (maybe even purchasing!) more of the Diptyque line. I highly recommend this.

P.S. I wouldn't have expected Billy Idol to wear this, but the dude definitely has unique taste. I applaud him on his choice.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

I bought the Baies candle for years and never thought to see if there was a corresponding fragrance. I just bought a bottle of L'Ombre and I am in LOVE!!! I have read several of the reviews and all I can say is that the beauty about fragrances is that that the same scent can smell totally different on different people.

With that said, I wear this scent very well. I do not get an overpowering green vegetable smell like others have mentioned. On me, I smell cassis and roses. It lasts on my skin for hours and even makes it through a moderate workout. After a few hours it is soft and just beautiful. If you stop by the Diptyque counter the SA will probably give you a small tester to try at home before you commit to a bottle. That is what I did and could not wait to call the SA back to have her send a bottle to me. Definitely give it a try!!! BTW...the Baies candle is crazy amazing!!!

I'm shocked I haven't reviewed this yet as I got my sample so long ago. It's like a big vegetable patch at first, full of ripe, red tomatoes and zesty celery. But the beauty of it is that it dries down into a lovely, soft, and very pink rose. The perfume is a beautiful and natural scent, very refreshing and cooling on a summer's day. Yet there is a warmth to it too. Think of huge, fragrant roses in a garden, the scent diffused by the heat of the summer sun. This is how your skin will smell.

spirit966
spirit966

Regret the purchase.

Its too green, too juicy, too tomato-ey. I know why people will like the refreshing and soothing nature of the fragrance, but I feel like being suffocated in vegetable and vines! (think of the water and vegetable juice after washing lettuce when making a salad!)

There is a rose note there, a dark, truffly, earthy one. But yes, it is engulfed by the greeness of this fragrance.

Good for Spring / Summer but I just can't the salad and vegetable connations!

Jayne58
Jayne58

This is the perfume that taught me the meaning of green. A briar rose picked straight from the thicket growing by the riverside, not quite open and still with morning dew sparkling on the leaves. There's the scent of a few accidently squished aphids, too.

This is a very cooling scent and would work best on a summer's day when the temperature is set to soar.

Jndena
Jndena

The opening smells very green and grassy to me- a little like cut grass or tomato leaves.
Then much later in the dry down, as was said, it smells exactly like the Votivo candle "Black Currant"-not a compliment or an insult, just a description. If you like the candle, you will love this.
Not my taste for a perfume, but a nice scent for spring or summer.

Persephone100
Persephone100

I first tried this scent about six months ago in my on-going search for the perfect rose. When the SA sprayed it on a strip I immediately disregarded it as far too green for my tastes. However it never left me, and every time I passed a bottle in a store I sprayed it, and would again think "too green! Why did I do that again"

More time passed and the green wore me down. Now I love this unique journey into an overgrown, unkempt garden as the dew settles on crushed leaves, mingling with the sap as thorny roses battle with blackberry thickets and tall grasses.

This is the sun setting in an english countryside garden in late summer. Wonderful.

valarian
valarian

I liked this fragrance and can understand those that are not huge lovers of rose being able to wear it. The rose doesn't really take centre stage and just supports the Cassis. It's like diving into a nettle patch and finding a rose. Very nice and a little different I would definitely like a bottle at some point. It's almost a juxtaposition in that the Cassis note is the strong deep dark rich role and the rose takes the green role in that it provides the lighter side to the fragrance. Different and definitely a winner for me.

stacia79

I could not smell much rose in this at all. Very very green, like ferns and the stems from a tomato vine. An interesting smell for my own sniffing purposes, but not really what I would call a wearable scent. It seemed too aloof. I would however, get a candle in this fragrance. The vegetation and crisp clean feeling would make for a pleasant room ambiance, very summer like.

syntheral
syntheral

A green garden, situated near a clear stream, with roses which have not yet bloomed. My favorite rose thus far.

For me, this scent purges unwanted things.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Several years ago, I fell in love with a red currant scented candle from a company called Votivo. I've been searching for a currant note in perfumery like the one exuded by the candle, and thought I had found it in L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.

For about 15 minutes or so, it is perfect. It then turns into a pretty but fairly run of the mill icy metallic rose covered in dewdrops.

I have the solid perfume but also tested the liquid. (Sadly, I tested both in a store and did not wear the scents long enough to realize the currant note fades too quickly.)

In its defense, the solid comes in a gorgeous, heavy black compact that is satisfying to use. The texture of the solid perfume is the perfect wax-to-cream ratio that enables easy application. For a solid, this one has some of the best sillage and longevity of any I have tried. That icy rose lingers for hours, on par with a decent alcohol-based EDP.

Love, love, love the currant note!

The rose, which is the main and longest-lasting note in the composition, is just a like-like-like. Lovely, but not quite what I was looking for.

Diptyque L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU opens with a ferny feeling and then suddenly a rosebush pops up out of nowhere. After a couple of minutes, though, the “fern” note, which I believe is angelica, given its behavior—takes over the composition completely, shrouding the rose in relative obscurity. I've learned through a few niche testings that angelica is really not a note that works well for me. Perhaps I am extra-sensitive to the point of finding even a modest dose excessive. Whatever the case may be, L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU ends up being yet another (quasi-)angelica-focused niche offering that I really cannot see myself wearing much. I own the solid compact of this perfume, which unfortunately offers an even stronger presentation of the fernish angelica (or reasonable facsimile) note and while it does not make me ill, neither is it a perfume that I would reach for before, say, 200+ others.

This was a bad blind buy on my part, a gamble based on the entirely arbitrary fact that Diptyque has chosen to offer only a few of its perfumes in solid form, all of which I decided to acquire as a part of my quest to expand my understanding of that much-neglected medium. Maybe if I wear L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU enough I'll develop a tolerance to this hyper-super-ueber-fernishness. On ne sait jamais. Hope springs eternal, and sundry other hackneyed clichés, not to mention pleonasms and, yes, redundancies!!!!!

CYoung
CYoung

Last winter, I tested Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau but bought the matching candle Baies instead.

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau was rather strong on the skin.

The candle, however, filled my home with a comforting scent of warmth.

Maybe this is an alternative way to enjoy this wonderful fragrance of freshly cut roses and leaves.

ailimeavolokin
ailimeavolokin

Arghhhh! This lies so synthetic on my skin. I was shocked! Green bathroom detergent, no rose, no nothing.

LizzyBhebe
LizzyBhebe

It stays on all day. The lotion smells wonderful too. Roses .

Galya
Galya

I can't detect any rose on my :(,only green frech leaf of cassis.

ngreeny
ngreeny

I don't know if this is due to my rose-magnifying skin, but all I can smell here is rose and it stays linear throughout - no berries or green notes for me. In fact, it's very similar to the smell of those Bulgarian rose oil souvenir vials, with which I grew up, and considering the price I'd choose them over L'Ombre Dans L'eau any time.

Blimunda
Blimunda

I find L'ombre dans l'eau aromatic fragrance and maybe the most unusual I have tested. To me it smells exactly like a tomato leaf planted in my mama's garden.

It has great sillage and overwhelming aura, and although I adore that smell in the nature, I am not sure whether I would like to go through city smelling like just got of the garden :D For those braver, do not miss to test it it- is really unique!!!

catmanchee
catmanchee

gorgeously! my favorites!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Unlike my favourite Diptyque Philosykos which disappears half an hour after you put it on, this one is a stayer. The rose, to me, smells like it has been dipped in honey, it is very, very sweet but not cloying. This would be a definite head-turner if worn in public, with very big sillage. I didn't get any green notes or sourness with this, and rose is not a scent I usually head towards, but this is divine and fairly linear on my skin. If I was a rose fancier I would definitely be after this one in a FB. (BTW the French for on the water would be "sur l'eau" - as it is it reads "shadow IN the water").

Francop
Francop

L'Ombre dans L'Eau - The shadow on the water

Very well done scent that will last for the whole day.

Green moist leaves and rose notes throughout the whole experience; quite linear but well balanced, the scent holds and carries itself rather than the other way around...

A must in spring time...

candymarie

I need to apologize to this perfume for my previous review. It was way too harsh and critical, which I realized later was due to the fact I was coming off a bad cold and my nose wasn't completely back to normal.

In my defense, I had been staring at several anxiously awaited sample vials for several days, unable to smell a darn thing (not a thing!) and so frustrated. When I finally got some sense of smell back, I couldn't wait to start sniffing.

I've learned to never judge (let alone review) a perfume until the nose is firing on all cylinders.

That being said, L'Ombre dans l'eau is a beautiful and authentic smelling gift from the rose garden itself, complete with soil and stem trimmings, and is sure to please the true rose fanatic, but it isn't my cup of tea. I prefer my roses less authentic, I guess, with some soft, woody undertones like patchouli, amber, sandalwood or cedar.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

This is the perfume that I got most compliments for. Maybe it blends well with my skin... What I really appreciate, is its beautiful twist after 10-15 min; the heart is like another perfume. The strong and maybe distrurbing initial smell evaporates and gives way gradually to an earthy warm deep rose, mystical and sexy- but like you are born sexy, not in an artificial way. My favourite.

kerini
kerini

The scent obviously doesn't work for me, somehow the notes just won't mix on my skin.
I imagine it lovely on the right person though, simple yet beautiful. I think the name "Shadow on the water" suits the fragrance perfectly.
L'Ombre Dans L'Eau turns very soapy on me. Nice soap, I'd use it to wash my hands in a heartbeat. But do I wan't to wear it all day? No!
At first I get black currant leaves, later the rose stands out for a while until finally they mix together. It lasts 9+ hours on me.
Re: The negative reviews: I guess you either love or hate the crispness of currant leaves, there's no use denying they are tart. I most definitely appreciate them.

candymarie

The fact that the following words were sprinkled throughout the reviews for this scent should've been red flags: sour, sharp, twigs, dank water, ivy, putrid, cut grass, dirty.

However, I chose to disregard those words and focus on the pure rose notes that many reviewers mentioned.

I won't make that mistake again!

I WISH I had gotten sour, dank, ivy and cut grass!

What I got instead was an overwhelming chemical-like cardboard smell!!!! Yikes!

My goodness, I am so confused as to why this is considered perfume! I guess I need to broaden my perception of what actually constitutes perfume. I can't imagine one single occasion in life where I would want to smell this on myself or anyone else. Thank goodness I sampled first!!!

Miss Picky
Miss Picky

The perfect rose scent for those who don't like rose scents!

Mythical rose in all its complexity. No sugar or candy here. It's a green, green rose, but somehow evokes something earthy, too. Very beautiful, and a tiny bit dirty. Magnificent.

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

Trax, you've turned me into a Diptyque lover. Yes, rose for sure but I get plenty of green cut grass on my skin. I love this.

hollycat
hollycat

This opened very tangy, green, and sour. I knew I was in for something different anticipating the drydown.

This is a very herbaceaus, green, cold rose. Its not just the rose but the whole garden including the ivy growing on the nearby cottage on a crisp day. Very realistic smelling. You can get your imagination going with this one.

Would be very refreshing and intrigueing on a summer day or night. I wouldnt wear it in the winter because it has no warmth to it at all.

I have to give up for Diptyque. Everything I have tried from them is so natural smelling, longwearing, and distinct. The ingredients seem to be of the upmost quality. It seems that they dont just turn out fragrance just for the profit. Some real heart goes into the making of these perfumes.

chip
chip

This has got to be the most realistic rose! It doesn't just capture the rose bud, but the whole plant!

It's just so good that I've got so many compliments from both male and female. This is suitable to both male and female, perfectly unisex. Not perfumey at all, just natural in a very good way.

My favorite Diptyque.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

oh! the opening so reminds me of my greatgrandma's garden: black currant bushes! i remember picking fresh berries so that she could make jam))
5 minutes later the rose becomes more prominent and it transforms into magnificent rose&black currant fragrance. This is very aromatic, a bit herbal scent, I simply adore this one!

JungleGenie
JungleGenie

To me this scent is all about rose, a bit like Penhaligon's elizabeth rose, white rose, calm and restrained. However, the beginning is quite impressing, cold green herbal scent, as if you were in the deep forest, just took some water from the brook and then sit down beside a damp stone, feeling refreshed. A good scent for hot days.

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

I got this for Christmas from my fiance, and it has fast become one of my absolute favourites.

I'm surprised at the 'sour' other people find in this perfume, I don't detect sourness at all. It's refreshing and uplifting with a zing in the tail in the first few minutes. This settles down quite quickly to become a leafy, blackcurrant-ish, sublimely rosy scent that follows you around all day.

It has great waft-ability, by which I mean you find yourself wafting your clothes to grab a deeper sniff of the perfume throughout the day. A definite wrist-sniffer!

I was very pleasantly surprised how well this lasted on me - it has presence but manages to stay delicate, so I imagined it would be a ghost of a memory within a few hours (particularly as it's an Eau de Toilette and they very rarely last well on me). Not so! This smells pretty much the same on me at the very end of the day as it does within the first half hour of development.

I can still smell this on my scarf several days after I sprayed it there. I let a friend of mine borrow the scarf yesterday and she commented how gorgeously it smelled. Now she wants to get L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, too. :)

I'm glad this isn't a watery, rotten mess, which in the wrong hands it could so easily have been. This is my first Diptyque fragrance and it makes me eager to try the rest.

Beautifully blended, subtle yet certainly there, this never fails to cheer me when wearing it. I suppose I should be saving this for the warmer months, when it will truly come into its own, but even with a blanket of snow on the ground, this is a treat to wear!

L'Ombre dans l'Eau is a magical scent! I love it, but most people seems to find it repulsive somehow. It's not an easy one to wear, but it is so well made and very original!
I don't think of this as a rosy scent. Rose is present but in a total different way. It smells like wild roses around a dark pond in a forest. It's quite frizzing in the beginning, also a little harsh, but the harshness goes away fast and leave place to a sweet strange almost putrid in a good way smell of berries and seaweed, but it's not salty at all. It smells mostly of sweet water weed and then it smells of sugared almonds, then again weed and it goes on changing every minute. It has a totally weird and deep smell without being a stone, without any stiffness or mustyness, strong yet airy.
It's the smell of deep secret things. I don't usually wear it, because I don't feel it as a social scent. It's more of a contemplative secret scent.

Bouquet
Bouquet

Levely name, but goes on too sharp and astringent for me and dries down like dank water. Didn't get any of the rose at ALL. Had to scrub it off.

Henriette
Henriette

Too sour for me, unfortunately as it's really lovely. It is really evocative of something with water. If I close my eyes I see a garden in the '20es with moss covered statues and a big stone fountain in the middle. There is no sun and all is in a shade but not darkness. If you can wear this without having the sharp sourness then you can wear a great scent.

chance25
chance25

This smells like the under growth of a rose bush. Cool and damp I almost smell the fallen twiggs and rose petals on the ground. Very "boutique" smelling if that's a catagory, but not your usual rose. Scent stays true and present all day, very nicely blended.

jeca
jeca

I love this aromatic floral very much, it's unusual and very very comfortable for me. The first notes are sharp and green, but I recognize black currant and smell its sweet and aromatic accords, they are unique. A perfect marriage with a fresh rose.

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque 4.04 out of 5 based on 545 ratings and 106 user reviews

diptyque 'Baies' Scented Oval One Size oz
Diptyque Baies Oval
Diptyque Baies Room Spray
Diptyque Baies Room Spray
Beautyhabit.com
Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau de Toilette - Spray Refills - Collection Voyage - 3 x 12 ml
diptyque 'L'Ombre dans L'Eau' Eau de Toilette 1.7 oz
diptyque 'L'Ombre dans L'Eau' Eau de Toilette 1.7 oz
Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau de Toilette spray - 50 ml
Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau de Toilette spray - 50 ml
Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau De Toilette Spray 50ml 1.7oz
Beautyhabit.com
Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau de Toilette - Refillable Atomizer - Collection Voyage - 3 x 12 ml
diptyque 'L'Ombre dans L'Eau' Eau de Toilette
Eau De Parfum
diptyque 'L'Ombre dans L'Eau' Eau de Parfum
diptyque 'L'Ombre dans L'Eau' Eau de Parfum
Beautyhabit.com
Diptyque - Limited Edition L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau de Parfum Spray with bonus - 75 ml
Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau de Parfum spray - 75 ml
Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz
Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.