Designers » D E » Aromatic « Groups

L'eau des Hesperides Diptyque for women and men

L'eau des Hesperides Diptyque for women and men
dislike

L'eau des Hesperides Diptyque for women and men Pictures

L'eau des Hesperides by Diptyque is a Aromatic fragrance for women and men. L'eau des Hesperides was launched in 2008. The nose behind this fragrance is Olivier Pescheux. Top notes are bitter orange, mandarin orange, lemon, petitgrain, caraway, grass, rosemary and pepper; middle notes are floral notes and mint; base notes are cedar, musk and immortelle.

Bitter Orange Mandarin Orange Lemon Petitgrain Caraway Grass Rosemary Pepper

4711 Original Eau de Cologne

L'eau des Hesperides Fragrance Reviews

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

My husband's thick, oily, warm skin makes L'eau de Hesperides a stunner. I far prefer this fragrance on a man than a woman, and when applied on a skin type that "jives" with the fragrance it smells strikingly from nature - not a hint of modern cough drops or medicine can be found.

The opening of L'eau de Hesperides is an overwhelming bitter-orange, herbal cold snap. The fragrance is so serious and somber at first that it would seem better suited to correlate with Caravaggio's painting of pensive 'John the Baptist in the Wilderness' than Leighton's dreamy 'The Garden of Hesperides'.

After an hour the fragrance changes: The orange notes become floral, the herbs and mint smell "fresh cut", and the woods feel warm and dry. The idyllic evening landscape with dancing, lithe nymphs readily fills the imagination.

L'eau de Hesperides is a good one.

gelo999
gelo999

This fragrance of Diptyque I think a different and very interesting bet, but with a phase that spoils everything.

The fragrance is developed in two distinct phases with very good length and projection.

Open citrus with a powerful and pleasant note of bitter orange, once a burst of very soapy synthetic grass as it said the former partner is everywhere the fragrance getting cleaner or disinfectant field. Saves a little mint note that neutralizes partly created this scent so weird.
Drying more of the same with a touch musky very smooth and without losing the flavor described above.
If it were not for the disinfectant note drugstore fragrance it would be very good choice for use morning and hot days. Still the aroma is original and the idea of mixing citrus with mint with the almost polar freshness liked.

Rating: 4

walking44
walking44

Opens with a gorgeous mint over an old fashioned classic citrus eau de cologne. Beautiful but the drydown is a bit too medicinal and powdery for my taste. It all around just smells old. Old dried toothpaste. Lemon cough drops.

archivist
archivist

Very similar to Oyedo but considerably more masculine; Hesperides has the petitgrain, the pepper, rosemary, caraway - all the extra herb and spice without balancing out (orange blossom would have been nice here, if predictable) gives it more of an aftershave vibe. I find this too dry and herbal for my taste, but adore Oyedo - which is not sweet or floral, but more of a pure citrus.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque starts off with a sharp, almost acrid minty-citrus-grass accord, which smells as much green as really pungent and balsamic. Invigorating and bracing on one side, quite artificial on the other, ending up in smelling a bit like a nasal decongestant – balsamic for sure, but also decidedly “medicinal” in a literal, non-fascinating meaning. The musky base, subtle but substantial, doesn’t help in minimizing this plastic feel. Still if it’s smashing green freshness what you are looking for, regardless of quality and charm, then this will probably suit your needs. Personally I find this a bit too loud and artificial, with way too much acrid-synthetic stuff going on - speaking of contemporary green citrus scents I tend to prefer more discreet, natural refined stuff like some Hermès “concentrés”, but to each his own. Like many other Diptyque fragrances, a nothing bad-nothing good quintessence of negligibility.

Housebliss
Housebliss

Glorious opening, but when it dries down it smells like a methylated spirit....

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

One of my warm weather go-to's. I suppose it could be called a "European Eau de Cologne" type, except that its aromatic component is HUGE, far too prominent to be compared to any traditional citrus Eau. Easily unisex.
Wet, juicy, tart-sweet citrus is followed by an unexpected avalanche of chilling menthol, sage, rosemary, cedar and fir balsam. The mint component is not in any way "toothpaste", "chewing gum" or "Christmas peppermint"; no, it's just pure menthol of the kind that mentholated cigarettes or traditional men's shaving creams receive. That aromatic surge is positively ICY... FRIGID... SNOWY... GLACIAL. There is no fragrance out there even remotely similar to it, I don't think, so it stands as a real scent weirdo, almost in a league with ELD'O SM or SL MKK. The aromatic component subsides after about half-an-hour, as well it should: it's so cooling you'd freeze to death if it lasted longer. A whisper of transparent skin musk and pencil-ly cedar sweetened delicately with immortelle lingers in far drydown. I happen to find this scent something of a masterpiece, and I hope never to be without a flacon of it.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

Opens in a beautiful herbal-orange chord. Hints of basil and licorice and sweetening on the shutdown. Then too the immortelle emerges. Sophisticated and classy, and a tad reserved.

spankrabbit
spankrabbit

This is one of the best spring/summer fragrances I've tried so far. The comparison to John Varvatos Artisan is what prompted me to get a decant of this one. I love bitter orange but the Varvatos is notorious for its poor longevity.

Well...Artisan doesn't even come close to L'eau de Hesperides (obviously). The orange note is where the comparison stops. Hesperides has far more depth; it's more interesting as it plays out through the day.

Imagine a cross between freshly cut grass and an herb garden right after a spring rain. This is more "earthy" than "minty" to my nose and is definitely a unisex scent.

cytherian
cytherian

UPDATE: Just noticed Colin Maillard's review. I have to say I disagree, that I don't get a prominent "artificial" impression. I wonder if it's due to a prior association he has. And the start isn't sharp for me. It's a little on the menthol-minty side when it starts, but I find it very pleasant. A "touch" bracing.
______________________________________________________

I wasn't going to buy this after reading a number of neutral and negative reviews on another site. People said it conjured up associations with toothpaste, mouthwash, and other pedestrian toiletries. But a few positive reviews pushed me to give it a shot. I bought a bottle without sampling first.

I LOVE THIS!

When you think of orange as a prominent note, you'd expect it to be "too predictable" for a fragrance. Not so with Hesperides. The blending of bitter orange, mint, lemon, grass, petit grain and rosemary results in a wonderfully soft and semi-sweet aroma. It's not your usual orange forward scent. The mint and lemon is almost as strong as the orange. A perfect spring time or summer fragrance, but even nice in the cooler months as a day fragrance when you just want to feel fresh. It's blended in such a way as to be smack dab in the middle of unisex, easily worn by either gender.

Sillage and longevity seem to be pretty good. The bottle is very well crafted and the sprayer is smooth and precise. The cap is machined to fit perfectly to the top, so when pulled you get an air sucking "pop". In a niche Diptyque fragrance lineup of EdT and EdP bottles costing $150 and more, the "L'Eau" line comes in just under $100. And if you shop around, you can get it even cheaper on an occasional sale or partially used bottle (cheapest I've seen it was $49 shipped). Even at $98, it's a good buy. 9.2/10.

henri345que
henri345que

This is amazing on very, very hot days. You feel like you have bathed under a cold shower of mint, citrus fruits, flowers and leaves. It's very refreshing, mouthwatering at first and has a cool effect on skin. It driesdown to a quiet scent, but you can use it in big doses that it won't get offensive. Also, if you spray on clothes it seems to last and project more. It's delicious, a straightfoward and very well done citrus fragrance.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Diptyque has become one of those fragrance houses for me which is highly dangerous to the wallet. How unsurprised am I to find yet another gem from them.
And this truly is a gem. L'eau de Hesperides opens with a delectable bitter orange note, like the smell of fresh orange rind clinging to the skin. This hooked me immediately. It holds its own for a while before the herbs start growing and a wonderful maple sweet immortelle - the component which encouraged me to try the scent - builds beautifully. The immortelle wears on me like a heart note, it's very dominant. But it's flushed with citruses and aromatic herbs, to me mostly rosemary and sage and even a bit of fresh mint - that however isn't a cooling note here - so that it has this great balance between sweet and herbal. L'eau de Hesperides I find plays with the luminous and sweet aspects of immortelle as a note, where L'Occitane's Immortelle de Corse to me highlights it's more resinous side. The result here is that I'm left with a fragrance that makes me think instantly of late summer: of sunshine burning down on bales of freshly cut hay; the wafting scent of herbs hung to dry; sweet lemon ice tea and fresh oranges. After a while the immortelle dies down, the sweetness receding so that my skin smells like I've rubbed the orange peel and herbs directly on it. It's just lovely. This also lasted a solid eight hours on my skin and was still there, though sillage fell after about five hours.
A fantastic golden aromatic fragrance perfect for late summer and early autumn or for any time you want to remember the sunshine.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Very refreshing citruses with herbs, mainly rosemary and some grass - a perfect scent for really hot summer days when the sun heat burns everything and there is no wind - this will help. Besides, it is really good.

prettyswag
prettyswag

I love this ...so refreshing love to mix it with diptique eau neroli...reminds me of my morning showering, nice and fresh..just brushed my teeth,smelling whiffs of my orange shampoo in my hair and im ready for my day! It does have a typical minty green tone...but that fades down and you just smell natural and fresh...great hot weather scent.

Cereza
Cereza

A nice aromatic offering from Diptyque. Very high on rosemary and grass on my skin. Citruses mingle around only on the background, so it is all about herbs.
Unfortunately there is nothing much else here, it has almost zero depth and what you get at the opening is what you get all the way. As it is cologne like longevity is not so great. Might work ok as a body spray in hot summer day, but then a decreased price tag would be clearly necessary.

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

I just layered L'eau de Hesperides with Chinatown by Bond No 9 and the combination is just out of this world on my skin!! Most unique and addictive version of Fire and Ice I've ever experienced with my nose!!! Had to share!

spumyland
spumyland

supercolonia maschile modello baby johnson di ottima qualita'...inizialmente vicksinex e a tratti rimembra acqua di parma essenza di colonia.
non per me ma' perfetta per gli amanti del mandarino che qui' e' IMPERIALE.
longevity: max 4 hour

Carabella
Carabella

I know that most of the Dyptique scents are made for layering with one another. This one almost smells "pre-layered"
Whether or not you like this one, it seems to me, would be dependent on whether you like "Oyedo" and "Eau de Lierre" either separately or together. It has the green notes of "Lierre" and, on this wearer, a very similar drydown. It has the mandarin of "Oyedo", and a bit of the carraway undercurrent.

lara0905
lara0905

Lemon-mint cough drops!:D

Lively bitter orange opening with a bunch of mint.Energetic, uplifting mix of citruses dilate the airways.:)Astounding composition. In the heart herbal notes comes, thyme and cedar join to this unique aromas.

The final result:this is a scent with full of life but with measured, discreet individuality.

PiggyB
PiggyB

I love the balance of citrus and mint with spice.
This cologne smells like my rescue agent!

Adrien02
Adrien02

This is a lovely, citrusy-aromatic. I can almost imagine I smell a honey-sugar lemon cough drop or lollipop. A sugary herbal dance of perfection.
Not overwhelming or cloying like some aromatics which could open stuffy nasal passages of a person with a head cold. This fragrance wraps itself around you like a soft cashmere sweater. The rosemary and caraway are used quite artfully not biting and harsh but gently nipping at the edges of the flowers. The drydown makes me think there are more woody notes but perhaps thats what cedar does when it encounters musk.
How interesting that 'fotolux' mentioned "..celery (salt) note.." I get that but it doesn't take anything away from the beautiful smell of this Diptyque gem. I wonder what flower notes are specifically used. I think I detect lilac.

yantestrs
yantestrs

First spray reminded me of Lush's "Big" shampoo. This time, on paper, I smelled Light Blue for women. There's the orange and lemon and something else. What is that? It is definately aromatic, smells outdoorsy, fresh. Nope, that orange. This is nice and worth and sample but it's not for me.

fotolux
fotolux

L’Eau des Hesperides opens with a burst of dry orange and as it dries down, herbs enter the scent. With notes of bitter orange, mandarin, lemon, petitgrain, red thyme, rosemary, mint, cedar and white musk. The scent is beautifully made, interesting, and lively, but I wished that the celery (salt) note was toned down significantly.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Diptyque L'eau des Hesperides fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Diptyque L'eau des Hesperides, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L'eau des Hesperides by Diptyque. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L'eau des Hesperides by Diptyque represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.