Designers » D E » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Tam Dao Diptyque for women and men

Tam Dao Diptyque for women and men
dislike

Tam Dao Diptyque for women and men Pictures Tam Dao Diptyque for women and men Pictures

Tam Dao by Diptyque is a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women and men. Tam Dao was launched in 2003. Top notes are rose, myrtle and italian cypress; middle notes are sandalwood and cedar; base notes are spices, amber, white musk and brazilian rosewood.

Rose Myrtle Italian Cypress

Sacred Wood
Red

Tam Dao Fragrance Reviews

evilspin

Love this. very simple, strict sandalwood and fresh cut saw dust from cedar wood. Masculine and lasts. Makes women keep whiffing you & imagine her dream man a burly elegant wood cutting gentleman.

MLK
MLK

I love the initial opening of Tam Dao (edt) the Australian sandalwood is so smooth, it's different from Indian sandalwood which I feel Indian sandalwood is a lot stronger. This is definitely a wood fragrance so if you don't like wood fragrances then you might not like this. Having said that, I've mixed it with Philosykos (either edt or the edp) and this combination creates a sweeter scent with the fig and coconut notes shining through. Overall Tam Dao is a beautiful sandalwood fragrance.

Bkelk
Bkelk

BUYER BEWARE! I sampled Tam Dao at store and liked it. The Sales Assistant was nice enough to give me 2 samples. After a few weeks I decided to purchase a full bottle. Being cheap and trying to get a discount, I bought it off of eBay. READERS, PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN PURCHASING THIS COLOGNE - there is a BIG difference between the older formula in the SQUARE bottles and the newer one in the ROUND bottles. The older version is drier, creamier, and is straight up sandalwood. It reminds me of a softer version of Ferragamo for men. The newer version opens with an almost citrus burst, and a raw scent of Sandlewood. Honestly, I prefer the newer round bottles, the fragrance is much more complex, has much better sillage, and it last longer. This review is for the EDT. I still haven't smelled what the EDP smells like.But I really don't care for the boring older version in the square bottle.

aokiwen
aokiwen

this one is nice,i smell leaves and sandalwoods, and is it just me or there is a trace of tiger balm?
i really enjoy this one, it brings me back to the night i crushed in a small town in Vietnam

Silkpuppet
Silkpuppet

Sandalwood par excellence. I respectfully disagree with all the assertions that this scent leans toward one gender; it is profoundly unisex. Sandalwood is a very nostalgic scent for me. It evokes memories of wooden trinkets my parents have from India; fans, jewelry, hinged boxes, etc. The fragrance is spot-on sandalwood with rosewood and cedar playing in the forefront as well. While I find it beautiful on its own, I recommend Tam Dao as a layering fragrance. It adds subtlety and can round out more sharp floral scents. My favorite Tam Dao combo is Tam Dao+Duelle; try them together for a smooth, velvety woody oriental.

dmarcus1260
dmarcus1260

Two years ago I almost bought a bottle of Tam Dao (edt). For some reason it fell by the wayside, probably because I sample so many fragrances. Fast forward two years later I recently received a complimentary sample of Tam Dao (edt) from Lucky Scent. I was expecting a lush, creamy, semi-sweet sandalwood similar to Creed's Santal Imperial. That's how I remembered it. Now Tam Dao vaguely smells like sandalwood. What I mostly get is some pepper with an onslaught of cedar. I thought my sample had gone bad until I read raw umber's review. Hopefully the edp version smells similar to the Tam Dao I once had.

rodspeed
rodspeed

I own the EDT version, and I like it. It has a calming effect on me. It has facets that smell like a new book. I smell a mixture of mostly sandalwood and some cedar throughout its respectable lifespan.

How this scent can be recreated:
-Crush pink and white roses and heavily dilute in a bucket of water. Stir in a good amount of white chalk.
-Drop sandalwood chips into the mixture and let soak.
-Remove chips and dry on a paperback book.
-Smell the book while chewing on a pencil.
-Realize your lips are chapped and apply a light cream lotion.
-Leave the gas station.

This is the experience of Tam Dao EDT.

AlexanderBones
AlexanderBones

In my quest for sandalwood I ended up with 100ml the EDP... Incredible fragrance, but it appears my skin eats it and it disappears on me. This isn't often remarked upon so I'm assuming it's just me.

If anyone wants to take it of my hands I have roughly 90ml left and original box.

Please contact me for pictures and more info :)

raw umber

Everyone who is getting creamy, milky sweet rich sandalwood, is either testing the edp version, or a vintage edt. The new edt of Tam Dao smells like cedarwood essential oil with black pepper stirred in. It does not smell sweet, creamy, or sandalwoody. Maybe there's a tiny trace of santal in there, but it's an afterthought if anything. I find this new version difficult to wear. It is rather sharp and gives me indigestion.

If you're looking for sandalwood in Tam Dao, go for the EdP instead. Now whether a sandalwood solo note fragrance is worth 140 bucks or not is another story...
I'm not so fond of this one anymore. PM me if you want to swap. Bottle is almost full, purchased in-person from the Diptyque boutique in NYC, so I'm sure it's the real deal.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Not much more to be said of this one. Milky, creamy wood. Almost detect a little bit of sweet rum or cognac. Pretty nice fragrance.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Tam Dao is one of the most interesting and original perfumes with sandalwood as the main note. Very woody thanks to sandalwood and cedar, masterfully blended with spices, cypress and rosewood. Soft but offering extra pleasure. Suitable for any season but I think it may sound even better in spring and summer when the temperature around and the body temperature is higher.

Fabien77
Fabien77

Tried the EDT yesterday. Top notes are awesome! However, 10 minutes later it was all about cedar wood. I imagined that I could wear cedar wood essential oil instead and that would be the same.
I layered with Chanel 5 and the result was incredible.

Edit: I tested it today, both EDP and EDT. The difference is just on the concentration, no different notes.
I still think that the top notes are delicious. However, on me, it turns to only cast cedar wood. Which makes me think that I'd rather use a cedar essential oil, much more affordable.

yuugainotenshi
yuugainotenshi

~*Review for the Eau De Toilette*~

This is quite a nice sandalwood, it is definitely all about the woods. I do not pick up on any of the floral notes What I smell here is a blend of sandalwood slightly peppery and a slightly sweet cedar. Tam Dao is not creamy or dry it is balanced and smells completely natural. To me this fragrance is quite relaxing and somehow soothing. On me there is very little sillage and stays pretty close to the skin, which to me is quite normal for this type of fragrance. Tam Dao is great unisex fragrance soft enough for a woman to wear, but also a man.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Like Guerlain Heritage, this is one of the great sandalwood scents. Very woody and yet... it's also delicious, like a gourmand. I get a nutmeatty, praline note from it. Very, very nice.

Longevity on me isn't bad - about four hours. Not much sillage. And I don't smell roses, either. But perhaps they're in there playing an invisible part. A success!

cytherian
cytherian

Diptyque has a very kitschy looking label, like something from a hippie aromatherapy shoppe. From a distance the design looks like it might contain long haired naked people frolicking in a forest. But when you look up close, you see the figures are 4 elephants (one for each co-owner of Diptyque?). Very soft and good feeling imagery.

I bought the EdT. Upon first spray there's a definite strong smell of sandalwood tempered with cypress and rose. Supposedly there are other ingredients, but I couldn't really detect them (barely found rosewood). Tam Dao excels at simplicity, while not being ordinary. Once the dry down begins, the sharp woody aroma softens up and mellows. The sandalwood is still a little forward, with cypress and rose remaining very close. Sillage is not very strong but longevity seems to be quite good. 8 hours later and I could still smell it on my wrist from 2" away (vanishes at 3" and beyond). Actually for a fragrance like this, I wouldn't want strong sillage. It would probably overwhelm a room. Better to just relax in private comfort.

A similar fragrance I sampled was Etro Shaal Nur. That also has somewhat of a sandalwood impression but with less cypress and a sweeter accord. Seeing Tam Dao as unisex, Shaal Nur is more feminine (but still wearable by a man). I'm glad I took a chance on Tam Dao (blind buy). I'm impressed with Diptyque and will seek out to sample some of their other fragrances.

BTW,,, noticed that a lot of people find this similar to Gucci Rush, which is an inordinately expensive discontinued fragrance. I'm glad I don't have to bother trying to track Rush down. I'm quite happy with Tam Dao. :-)

Sunflower77
Sunflower77

Tam Dao EDP smells very woody. The sandalwood note is a lot stronger than that of EDT. I almost feel I like I am sleeping on a big log of sandalwood. The creamy coconut note is noticeable only at the dry down, in the background.

On the other hand I feel the EDT is more sophisticated with the blending of cedar. The cedar is actually more noticeable than the sandalwood in the EDT version, giving the EDT a more airy feeling, but less intimate. You really need to try both the EDT and EDP to see which one you prefer because they are not very similar.

Tam Dao EDP is a pure and simple fragrance. If you are looking for something sophisticated and multifaceted, it is not going to be the best choice. It is for those moments of life when simplicity and peace are treasured.

auntbush
auntbush

Tam Dao is a wonderfully playful scent. It is resplendent of a time in your life when all smells were pure, soft, and lingering. It is haunting in that it evokes the past longing for life. I think it is like a yoga position of peace in a bottle!

oobunillaoo
oobunillaoo

tam dao starts with a medicinal, dusty yet damp effect with very little floral undertone to my nose. at no point in the start can i detect rose as a standalone note but there is definitely a wet flower present beneath the woods.

it isn't long before the woods and spices come out to play. imagine you've been sat inside on a cold day, burning sandalwood incense. you go for a walk in the wet woods and catch whiffs of the incense still in your hair. that is what this smells like to me. like burning incense wafting through a wet forest. while that may not be everyone's cup of tea, it definitely is mine.

what the EDT lacks in staying power (2-3 hours MAX) it makes up for in being creatively simplistic. diptyque have released an EDP of tam dao that i cannot wait to get my hands on.

layers well with several other fragrances in my collection. also elevates my mood with every wear. a calming, thought provoking perfume - classy and casual.

if you are a lover of woody fragrances this should certainly be on your "to try" list. wouldn't suggest blind buying as the opening may not be for everyone, and the longevity of the EDT formulation may leave people with stronger/heavier preferences wanting. tam dao is not a "conventionally sexy perfume" but in a sea of gourmands and fruity florals you will absolutely stand out wearing this in public.

beautiful bottle, lovely artwork. do keep the bottle in it's box or at least out of direct sunlight as woody perfumes tend to turn rancid quickly if not stored properly.

thatsperf
thatsperf

Interesting perfume. On initial spray I can smell roasted peanuts on my skin! Then, sumptuous woods made themselves known before giving way to a floral (rose?) ending. Lasts a long time on me (4 hours) and sillage is soft. I discovered Diptyque's counter at House of Fraser today and enjoyed smelling their fragrances, they all are unique and have characters of their own. Definitely looking forward to enjoy more fragrances from this company.

mousemousecat
mousemousecat

I think the eau de parfum version is sufficiently different to start a separate page

indorm
indorm

A while ago I bought a wooden bracelet from a sweet old Japanese man who was selling juzu beads (Buddhist prayer beads). He told me that they were made of rosewood. The dry-down of this perfume smells exactly like my beads when I spray perfume near them. Pleasant, but I wouldn't wear it on a romantic date.

Kain
Kain

When you take a look at the notes, you may think it's a heavy woody fragrance but actually it's a very smooth and sweet sandalwood with some spices and some floral notes in the background.
At the opening you can smell a soft woody scent with a semi sweet musky scent and some green notes.
It's very smooth and OK and there is nothing offensive here.
As time goes by and in the dry down, you can smell a soft woody sandalwood with some spices and now the semi sweet musky scent changes to warm and sweet amber.
It's very pleasant and soft.
There is no changes in base.
Projection is very soft and close to the skin and longevity is around 3-4 hours on my skin.
The quality is good and women could easily use and enjoy this mellow woody fragrance.

وقتی به رایحه های عطر نگاه میکنین ممکنه تصور کنین با رایحه قوی چوبی روبرو هستین اما در واقع این عطر یه بوی خیلی ملایم و دلپذیر چوب سندل داره که کمی رایحه های شیرین و کمی رایحه های گلها در کنارش حس میشن
رایحه اولیه این عطر بوی ملایم چوب سندل هست که کمی رایحه های سبز و گیاهی و یه رایحه نیمه شیرین مُشک در کنارش حس میشه کرد
بوش خیلی ملایم و آرومه و اصلا چیزی توی ذوق نمیزنه
به مرور زمان بوی چوبی و ملایم سندل رو همچنان میشه حس کرد و حالا کمی رایحه ملایم ادویه ای بهش اضافه میشه و بوی نیمه شیرین مشک جاشو با رایحه گرم و شیرین کهربا عوض میکنه
رایحه میانی گرم و شیرین و خیلی ملایم و چوبی هست
پخش بوش ضعیفه و ماندگاری متوسطی در حد 3-4 ساعت روی پوست داره
کار با کیفیت و خوشبویی هست و با وجود چوبی بودنش خانم ها هم به راحتی میتونن ازش استفاده کنن و لذت ببرن

antfarm
antfarm

Tam Dao is a light, clean, meditative sandalwood--not a spicy, oily, exotic one. The opening smells like an archery range. I get a lot of woodchips (cedar?), and something that smells like fresh bales of hay (myrtle?). I really like this when it smells like an archery range, but after a half hour it fades into something flat and watered-down, and does not retain any of its original character.

tweavin
tweavin

Definitely lots of Sandalwood, sweet, smooth and slightly spicy, for me this is very reminiscent of an old sweet here in the UK called 'Cola Cubes', I'm not sure if they were available in the USA but it's not a bad thing, slightly syrupy.

I am soo pleased with the top notes in Tam Dao, high quality fresh creamy scent, dreamy, then I get blasted with pure cedar notes, so then it goes downhill for me,as unisex scents arent my choice at all..had it stayed in that creamy pure vibe , I would have bought it. The scent is all about exotic woods.Wont work.
But for lovers of sandalwood and cedar this is the best option.

evilspin

A very natural fragrance of sandlewood. almost to a wood saw dust scent. reminds me of He wood by DSquared2 but with a more pure form without the violet

Germany
Germany

The EDP is very creamy and dries down in this incredible musky amber , cedar sandalwood heaven , which puts you right into the Indian Jungle. This amazing fragrance is woody and milky and musky , the Mysore sandalwood is so creamy and works well with the dry ceader note. The EDP is more exotic , which I love from farther east still. The ginger and lime and coconut accord( which I strongly smell and the Diptique website mentions for the EDP ) emphasize the creamy smooth facet. I am totally taken by this one. The edt is nice as well but doesn't have the creaminess to it. It's less cedar though which is also very nice for a more subtle approach.
Definitely equal parts of ceder and sandalwood. Its a great fragrance. But since I own Santal Blush by Tom Ford I rarely wear Tam Dao anymore. Santal blush is creamier smoother and more sandalwood. Tam Dao is more ceder and herbal , quite amazing though too. Still remains amongs my favourites.

raw umber

I get equal parts cedar and sandalwood. To me, Tam Dao smells quite like cedar essential oil. There is a sweet astringent quality from the cedar that balances the dry sandalwood. It projects faintly but maintains potency at the same time. Eau Duelle does the same thing, so maybe that's a Diptyque-specific phenomenon.

I dig Tam Dao, and strongly prefer it to Tom Ford's Santal Blush, and it's more my speed than Le Labo's Santal 33, but I still can't tell if it's love.

The abundance of cedar in Tam Dao reminds me of the amount of jasmine in Vanillary by Lush. If you don't truly enjoy raw, almost crass-smelling cedarwood, you will not enjoy Tam Dao. I have to admit it did ultimately have a calming effect on me.

Edit: The second time I sampled this, I got a huge amount of rice, black pepper, and musk, and a lot less of both the cedar and the sandalwood. The second time around, Tam Dao was much more dry and thick. Linear though it may be, it does have a mercurial personality from wearing to wearing.

batkitty
batkitty

I've just tried a sample of the new EDP version of Tam Dao, and finally I'm convinced. I've had trouble with the EDT, it always seemed too dry and sawdusty on me, to the point of annoyance, and I always wanted to get the soothing, creamy sandalwood others got. I think the EDP is my answer--it sits on my skin more gently. I get whiffs of ginger and lime in the topnote mix (not so much the coconut, which seems well camouflaged in the sandalwood accord) but the sandalwood itself is smoother, it seems more balanced and more attractive. It's still clearly the same fragrance, but with a rounder overall quality to it that I'm really enjoying. Who knows, there may be a bottle of this in my future.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

Based on my initial impression of Tam Dao, I get all woods. Sandalwood is most prevalent above all others. It's something I'd wear year round, despite its hot quality. By hot, I mean sitting next to a fire kind of hot. Hot, spicy woods. And in my mind, spicy woods must equal burning wood because that is all I think of when I smell Tam Dao. I really am enjoying my sample and could see myself purchasing a full bottle. I just got a very faint hint of rose in the background. Mmm smells so good.

It just gets better and better. Now, the woods are still very much the main theme, but rose and amber are coming to the forefront to add a touch of sweetness and smoothness. Yeah, it's really really good.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I politely disagree with the review below about this scent being more masculine than feminine. :) I do agree with the rest of their review though. Vetyverio and Tam Dao are very different and owning both would not be a silly decision.

Tam Dao is a beautiful rendition of sandalwood that stays away from sweet or floral territory without smelling harsh and too dry. No honey, no obvious, predictable "chai tea" effect, no strong flower. My one wish would be for the rose to be a bit stronger, but then, maybe the scent would become too ordinary? I should not want this scent to be any different.

I very often reach for Tam Dao as it makes me feel centered, natural, clear-minded and not perfumed. I feel scented and one with the elements wearing it, because TD is such a nature fragrance. It layers beautifully with a simple, non-fresh rose fragrance (I use Floris White rose with it).

It is a very peaceful, meditative scent and I think it would appeal to people who love woodsy and/or incense perfumes, maybe like L'Occitane Eau d'Iparie and also Tauer's no. 02.

To my opinion, completely unisex, but if you are used to more sweet/floral things, yes, it might appear a tad manly to you.

I've heard people say that you don't need both Vetyverio and Tam Dao because they are similar. I respectfully disagree.

Vetyverio is much sharper in the opening while Tam Dao is rounded and subtle. To me they smell completely different, and Vetyverio..well...is a vetiver scent, Tam Dao is not.

This smells straight up wood. Sweet and creamy wood. out of all the woody scents I've smelled, I'd say this is the most wearable, and has now become a favourite of mine.

A little too masculine for a woman in my opinion.

Clean. Manly. Sexy. Natural.

Instant love.

Spen.Javer
Spen.Javer

You'll be greeted by Cedar, Cypress and Sandalwood in the opening.

The dry-down introduces you amber and spices, somewhat musky.

I couldn't smell rose though.

Sandalwood will stay with you till the end.

Best sandalwood scent ever.

I never thought sandalwood could produce incredibly beautiful atmosphere.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

A smoky, lightly spicy blond sandalwood-cedar scent with a good bit of rosewood. If you kept sandalwood and pencil shavings in a rosewood box, this is what they would smell like.

Sandalwood can be creamy, lush -- even maple-syrupy. But this sandalwood isn't. This one's austere. Coolly radiant and reserved.

The price of Tam Dao is rather luxurious, but the scent is comfortingly humble. It's like being in a woodworker's workshop.

ssherices
ssherices

This is nice but has no lasting power or sillage on me...it also smells really close to spiritual skys sandalwood!

arrode
arrode

Absolutely lovely unisex. It's a very woody fragrance and smells mostly of the rosewood, cypress, and sandalwood to me. My only, only, only qualm is the lasting power is so short! I only get about 3-4 hours of wear. It's also a very light fragrance that sits close to my skin so I have to apply it like a body spray. Sadly, it appears Tam Dao only comes in an EDT.

atbohemia
atbohemia

First comes to my nose : Cypress (a noticeable cypress, somehow citrus-like)

After the fresh lightening of the cypress, the waves of woody smell comes and goes. Sandalwood, cedar, rosewood... but the most noted spicy smell (middle) comes from the Cedar! It could make eyes hard to open...

Then, the powdery musk comes out... little ambre... makes the scent floating... but just for few minutes...

The firmly structured Sandalwood occupies the whole ending... it seems to be forever... And it makes me stay silent.

I love this scent.

sandaloud
sandaloud

i spent so many years looking for my signature scent. and finally here you are! it may be the most meditative scent i've ever come across. the cedar-sandalwood accord is nothing less than divine. buy it you'll not regret. an all year round scent.

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

Une très belle signature. It looks very woody at first with marvellous santal from Goa then appear fresh facets with rose and cypress.
Not heavy with nevertheless relief it s pure luxury without ostentation but voluptuousness.
At the end i founded the One !

steve0580
steve0580

Cedar. That's what this fragrance is.

I don't smell much of anything other than that. It's like walking around in a natural wood furniture shop or smelling freshly cut cedar.

To me, that's wonderful! I like the smell of natural wood and cedar.

It's not an overpowering scent and longevity is average at roughly 4-6 hours.

I don't smell as gasoline note in this as other have stated.

saharafamily
saharafamily

Cedarwood+Sandalwood and a strong base of Cypress. Both of the woods are apparent though I must say the Cedar stands out to me more. I also get this really strong gasoline note on my husband but not on me...it's so addictive and appealing. I LOVE this scent but I'm so glad that I didn't buy it because its TOO SOFT! I agree with missk there should be a EDP version of this. I would rather spend my money on something with stronger sillage.

Diptyque's Tam Dao is a soft, peppery woods scent on my skin. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but it is very smooth and wearable.

I was a little disappointed in Tam Dao's softness. In some ways it struck me as being too polite and too transparent. It wears just like an inoffensive, woodsy skin scent. I can't hate it, but I haven't learnt to love it either.

I do smell the dominant sandalwood note, however I am adamant that black pepper also features in this composition. Perhaps it's only the cypress that I smell. Regardless of what the note really is, it lends a unique quality to both the heart and drydown.

I am aware that Tam Dao is one of Diptyque's best sellers. I wonder why they haven't released it in EDP concentration along with Philosykos, Do Son and L’Ombre Dans L’Eau. A stronger Tam Dao may be more my cup of tea.

Tam Dao will probably appeal to men more than women, due to its dry, woodsy nature. I would recommend it for wear during Spring and Autumn.

chirobi
chirobi

My first true encounter with sandalwood was nearly a decade ago in India, in the city of Mysore, after having visited a temple located on top of a rock mound that burned our feet as we scrambled up barefoot for several hundred steps under the hot summer sun. I even saw elephants that day. So as you can imagine, the scent and the bottle conjures up all the wonderful memories from that trip, hence why i was even so attracted to in the first place. But therein lies the problem. Now I live in a concrete jungle of a city and find it really difficult to use Tam Dao even though I love it so much. What this scent evokes is so completely different to my environment that it's jarring. The fact that you can only buy it in a big metropolis (got mine in Hong Kong) is also contradictory to the perfume. I like to tone it down by mixing it with Lavanila's Pure Vanilla to make it more suitable for a city setting. However, I still catch the occasional wafts of pure Tam Dao, and it stops me mid-sentence while my mind drifts to far away places...Er, where was I? Oh, yeah, perfume review.

On my skin, it starts out a bit dry, then it softens as it is warmed by the skin and a light creaminess come out. There are other woodsy notes, but sandalwood dominates so thoroughly that I can't distinguish what the other ones are. I can see how women would love this on a man. Don't know if the reverse is true, but I won't let that stop me from wearing it.

aveilhe
aveilhe

Tam Dao is a relatively straightforward woody fragrance dominated by equal parts sandalwood and cedarwood. The combination is quite meditative and relaxing.The sandalwood is creamy, while the cedar is dry, crisp, clean, and aromatic (the rosewood also adds to the "crispness"). During dry down, I also pick up on faint spice notes, particularly cumin.

I adore sandalwood, but I have to admit that Tam Dao is not my favorite iteration of a sandalwood scent. I prefer sandalwood perfumes with slightly sweet or balsamic base notes: honey, labdanum, vanilla, etc.

Having said that, I would love to smell this on a man -- the cedar note evokes a classic masculinity, and I can imagine it being quite seductive on the right gent.

ranchorita
ranchorita

Tam Dao is an absolute glory on Le Boyfriend, and a wonderful complement to his sandalwood Art Of Shaving products. Smells light and not all-invasive from the beginning, and ultimately settles into a subtle blend of cedar, sandalwood and amber, to my nose. This is perfect for someone who heretofore has eschewed fragrance products. Very elegant scent. I probably will try this myself.

Axum
Axum

I was intrigued by the imagery and associations behind this fragrance - a bamboo grove, hints of rice...smells of childhood.

Tam Dao smells at first of sap, and then of raw dough. I try Diptyque fragrances because they're interesting. This Asian-inspiried French scent project is certainly that; I just don't think it works.

jeffthebarbarian
jeffthebarbarian

I received Tam Dao as a generous sample, and this is my first real woodsy experience.
Tam Dao opens with a sharp intro...it very much reminded me of spruce sap. It has a cool feel to it, and I am assuming that is the myrtle. I'm not certain what Myrtle smells like, but in the notes it's listed as smelling "camphoraceous". I know camphor gives me that cool feeling that mint does, which is why I think that is the myrtle.
Within a matter of minutes, that sharp opening fades away to very smooth sandalwood and cedar scent, which kinda drifts just above my skin but not much further out. The cedar and the sandalwood kind of vie for dominance. One whiff, the cedar is clearly more prominant, but a few minutes later, it's the sandalwood...they kind of circle each other on my skin. The amber is present too, giving this a slight sweetness.
After a few hours, the fragrance starts to become slightly powdery...and I actually notice a few spices, but they are very faint. I couldn't tell you which spices were in it. It's also about this time that the amber starts becoming more noticable.
The spices eventually fade, and this fragrance ends with just the sweetness of amber and a soft, soft sandalwood.
The longevity is very good. I applied it at 10 A.M., and it lasted until around 6 p.m.
The projection is minimal (I wear fragrances for me, not for others...so this wasn't a detractor for me).
I didn't get any rose, and I'm not certain what Brazilian rosewood smells like, so I can't tell you if that is there either.
I don't know what note it is that makes this seem powdery after a few hours. The rose that I couldn't smell, perhaps? The musk?
I'm still learning about notes, and how I perceive them.

Mick_Trick
Mick_Trick

A very nice fragrance, I'm almost at the end of my bottle, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess it's this scent that attracted me to the niche side of the wall.. and the beginning of a new journey, so it will always have a place in my heart.

For the top notes I get a blast of cedar and resins, this is the more astringant phase, I find it very invigorating. The heart and base notes focus more on a sweet and silky sandalwood that I find to be quite linear, but very calming and reassuring (a real wrist sniffer for sure).

As someone who likes woody aromas in all their dimensions, I can't but love this scent...

Can be a little light if applied sparingly, so I normally give it a good few spritzes! (just watch the first 10 mins in public as you'll be a cedar bomb before it settles down) :-P

ps: Have the old square bottle, it's beautiful. Not as impressed with the new style...

silagelover
silagelover

I got this one in 2009 and still love it. On my skin I get a warm creamy almost vanillic sandalwood and freshly chopped moist sweet cedar as well as a little bit of musk and amber. It is a bit like a cozy sweater, and is very nice in the winter. Tam Dao is quite long lasting but the sillage is only moderate staying relatively close to the skin. At times I find this cloying because of the woody sweetness, but overall a great fragrance.

Marianne Wynn
Marianne Wynn

I love this one!!! It is my favorite of the perfumes that I own. When I want comfort, I wear Tam Dao, when the day may be stressful I wear Tam Dao. I adore sandalwood, and this sandalwood is creamy, warm, beautiful. When I wear it, my friends all want to know what it is. It lasts for hours and I can still smell it at the end of the day. Its sensual and makes me feel grounded, serene and safe.

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

Cedar is dominant throughout...

jventura489
jventura489

Weird I don't like this and I am a huge wood fan. It smells like pencil shavings to me :/ I'm so sad I was hoping this would be perect for me by the description.

ammebirds

postscript to my review: My husband wrinkled his nose and said it smells 'musty.' Musky? I asked. No, he meant musty as in old closed up rooms. Sigh. I liked it but won't wear something that makes me smell unwashed to my roomie.

ammebirds

Just got my sample from Lucky (came quickly) --an immediate tang of ROSEWOOD, exactly the way it smells when I open my antique rosewood altar table -- then in startlingly rapid succession, there was sandalwood, baby powder, clove and fern. The woods still dominate but with a very delicate hand. If the fragrance lasts on my skin, I will definitely buy it for a winter evening perfume.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

What a pretty sandalwood this is. I expected dry, woody spicy, but no, not here. This is sandalwood blushed with rose and carrying a bouquet of myrtle. It's woody, but rather more feminine than I would have thought (though still unisex),fresh and quite light, a fairly translucent scent. Quite linear throughout, which I don't mind at all. The staying power is still very good despite this not being as strong as most woody scents are. This will be my next Diptyque purchase for sure.

pileofrocks
pileofrocks

got a quick whiff of the furniture polish i was craving but then it turned into the milky-nutty rubber headache of l'artisan's mechant loup... does anyone else smell the similarity? what are the notes that are creating that smell- is it the sandalwood?

IlDottoreFaustus
IlDottoreFaustus

I struggled for a period and decided no to have it; partly because I am not budgeted, partly because the local boutique ran out of old brick bottles. Mostly because I can't convince myself to buy a bottle of fragrance just for its sandalwood & iso-e-super effect. I would really die for the sandalwood-IES note, but I have clearly no chemistry with the expressionless powdery opening. I am a little sentimental for not buying it now though. :Q

Scatje
Scatje

Nice sandelwood smell, last long is and is a dry woody scent. Pitty, a bit too strong and masculin for my tast

scentous
scentous

this is a unique good quality woody scent, dominated by sandalwood and cedar. Although not listed above I get a hint of mastic (which I liked it). It is not a sugary sweet sandalwood like many other sandalwood scents out there, on the contrary it is raw and fresh..I don't get rose, some cypress may be, and a little muskiness in the drydown. It is a very nice perfume, yet slightly on the masculine side, so my hubby likes it better than me, and I can't get away my nose from his neck when he is wearing this..I am very picky on men's perfumes and this is really a good one, thumbs up:) sillage and longevity are more than average..

klopgovorun
klopgovorun

God knows I wanted to love it, but on my skin it smells like shoe polish... alas

nero77
nero77

Much has been said about the sandalwood element here. Whilst I do detect the sandalwood vibe I must admit it is faint. I do notice the other woods here being more prominent, such as the cedar wood etc... Overall it probably shouldn't be looked at as an iconic sandalwood fragrance. Definitely a prominent woody scent but not exclusively a sandalwood one. Overall it's warm, very pleasant and the dry-down happens to be very nice. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to go anywhere else apart from smelling like high quality, freshly polished wood. In that way it's quite a linear fragrance. However worth a try, just not the masterpiece others claim it to be. But it is elegant and refined, definitely. If wood is your thing, you will enjoy, but it's not in any way ground-breaking in my opinion. Luca Turin calls this "woody furniture", I find that description quite accurate.

MrMookie
MrMookie

Im very delighted i found this (as it found me as it was given to me as a sample from a niche company)
Niche worthy, gives me a good feeling wearing it
Love the composure of all blended in one tranquillity potion.Its peacefull uberwearable and lovely.
Opening and midpart to drydown are both amazing!
Its almost if the cut off all ingredients by half blending it back to give each note a slight even balance.
I dont know how to describe this but in my opninion this is scent intelligence.

Btw i just read the review of IMGCAS, these words nails it! :
The quiet, meditative drydown is quite unique
Damn yes thats it.

Grottola
Grottola

Incense? Cypress and myrtle? What?

I unfortunately don't get any of those notes, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing; Tam Dao is well-made, simple dry woody fragrance with mainly sandalwood and cedar. Of course, it's probably not REAL Mysore sandalwood (which is one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled), but Tam Dao is a good effort and great choice for anyone who wants a simple, inoffensive woody fragrance.

...that is, if the price is right. Remember, you're paying at least $88 for this stuff, and the longevity is pretty average (5 to 6 hours on my skin). Also, this reminds me a lot of Derek Jeter Driven Black by Avon. Weird comparison, I know, but I can't deny the similarities with that musky cedar/sandalwood smell.

Give Tam Dao a whiff, but if you can find cheaper alternatives, roll with them. It's good, but not great.

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

This is a sweet, creamy sandalwood, more like a true sandalwood with some atlas cedar and musk. Not a complex scent but it is nice and it has good longevity on me which is saying a lot.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This came out aggresively green and bitter to me, like crushed hemlock or some other poisonous plant. It dries down to a unisex musk-with-cedar-cupboard scent. Interesting enough, but more of a room spray to my taste than for personal use.

muffinman
muffinman

Opens with strong sandalwood scent. Dry-down extremely similar to Azzaro Visit: incensy and slightly sweet. Just replace the cedar in Visit by sandalwood and you got Tam Dao. It's not bad, but not the most original scent.

To anyone who's expecting a prominent sandalwood composition in the same vain as Santal Noble or Massey's Tricorn be advised that Tam Dao is to sandalwood as white boiled rice is to haute cuisine. Instead, if you're up for a minimalistic and straight forward spicy-cedarwood concoction with an overall incense-y vibe, go ahead. Sharpness and sawdust included...

Downline: Tam Dao will more probably appeal to Comme Des Garcons lovers than to sandalwood purists. Me? I quite like it and wear it every once in a while but I've to give it a neutral rating because it doesn't deliver what it promises.

Rating: 6.5/10

shiverwithantici
shiverwithantici

This starts out with a sharp, green note, and shortly after dries down to a delicious, creamy sandalwood. It's a very pleasant, easy to wear, unisex fragrance, but has virtually no sillage. I have yet to find a Diptyque fragrance that projects well. Their longevity is decent, but most people won't notice the fragrance you're wearing unless they bury their faces into your neck ;)

DoraRoxx
DoraRoxx

This is an amazing scent.Hope my review can help.I can tell I have tried a lot of parfum in my young life of 30 now. Also I worked in a sensory lab for a short time and my nose is mostly very sensitive to some smells and odors.
I bought it in Germany but dont remember the price.After comparing it to Wonderwood by CdC this one was more outstanding. I like Sandal Wood and Woody Notes. Here they become dark and sweet the longer you wear it.Very Unisex. In the end it is like Dark Chocolate. Very sexy and smoky. Good for the club... but it is not long lasting.Sadly.Forget the Club. Try it for Dinnertime in a nice Restaurant. you should compare it with Armani Prive OUD ROYAL. Some similarity here but Tam Dao can not beat OUD ROYAL in the most categorys.
Well.It has a soso longevity,ok!Some get maybe a headache of the strong woody notes. Well still the best Diptyque has to offer by now.Hands down.

scent: 8,5/10
longevity: 6/10
sillage: 6/10

dhoakohime
dhoakohime

Lovely perfume. It shares many similarities with my beloved Serge Lutens Feminitie du Bois, as, in both of them, one of the main notes is Cedre. Both sweet, elegant, scentual but, if i had to choose one it would still be the SL one, which i find more interesting and better done. Tam dao is sweet (that strange sweetness of cedar which is nothing like candy sweet, or chocolate, etc..nothing edible) i'd say less sweet than feminitie and way more spicy, but both scents share a common base of woody sweetness and both are built up arround the prominent cedar note (a note that, int he other hand, is very distinctive by itself..), so yes...pretty similar specially in the draydown.

About longevity and sillage, i have to test it more, but so far the couple of sprays i did in my hand about 1h ago are starting to fade...which is not such good news. SL Feminitie du bois is no doubt stronger and has better projection, and i'd also say better sillage.

I like ii? hell yes..delicious. I'll buy it? having already the SL one i don't think it is worth as they are very similar...maybe a 50 ml bottle..but just because i want every perfume in the earth! haha!

sf2explus
sf2explus

This scent is very creamy that starts off with a nice spicy, woody edge at the top which fades away very quick i would say about ten minutes but doesn't completely dissapear, you can smell the spice there after the first ten minutes but its very feint also with the spice there is a mild sweet note im guessing thats the rose mixing with the nice creamy sandlewood. In the end your left with a very nice creamy scent which has a slight trace of spice and sweetness. i wouldn't have minded if Diptyque did make the rose note alittle stronger but it is still perfect. For me its the best creamy scent i have ever smelt. this scent smells different if you put your nose to the skin and try to smell the notes compared to putting some on and than letting the scent tell it's story. I see this scent being quite meture and has an artistic feel to it. for me if you like it wear it, i can't see anyone in there late teens or early twenties enjoying the scent if they do they have an excellent nose. Best time to use this scent would be year round, although would not reccomend in a very hot day. Sillage of the scent is actualy good for the first 1-2 hours. Lasting power of the scent is between 4-6 hours and a skin scent after that.Bottle design is amazing and sprayer is excellent.

9.5/10

I held off testing my array of Diptyque samples for quite some time, and I'm afraid that I started with the wrong one: TAM DAO. To my nose, this is an incense scent, pure and simple. The good news is that it lacks the asbestos quality which I've encountered in a the incense offerings of a couple of houses, notably Comme des Garçons. The bad news is that I just don't find this one very interesting. TAM DAO is a dark woody incense composition which holds potential but lacks the base notes that make for great orientals. I'm not detecting any benzoin, resins, musk, or much of anything else here. Just a solution of powdered incense. If that's what you're looking for, then you might like this a lot, though I should say that the longevity is not great (predictably enough).

My own preference is for incense ensconced in a significantly more perfume-y base. Incense alone is not enough to hold my interest. Désolée.

mystica
mystica

All Diptyque perfumes are amazing creations, every one of them offers a different olfactory experience which is quite surprisingly true to the concept and the name. Tam Dao is the smell of Angkor Wat, the famous ancient temple in Cambodia, the rain forests, smell of the monsoon rains, oh and amazing, distinctive sandalwood... It so successfully evokes a scene like all Dipytques that I'm actually undecided about the wearability of it. It's like smell, imagine and fly... On skin, what can I say, it's just unique, different.. I also must say, I detect an unlisted note in Tam Dao which pleasantly surprises me: It's camphor, and eucalyptus!

periplos
periplos

Acquisto fatto dopo averlo annusato, provato e riprovato. Come tante delle creazioni diptyque la nota principale è poi quella preponderante. Come dire.. profumi a senso unico. In questo caso l'immagine è quella della foresta di sandali; questo è inevitabilmente vero. Eccezionali le note di testa, sono caldissime e intriganti, direi esotiche. Un giorno mi è parso di sentirci pure il profumo di pane del fornarolo sotto casa e da allora ogni volta che lo indosso lo individuo e me lo godo.
Per il resto, anzi il resto è il sandalo, non quello delle saponette però.

Ultimamente l'ho un po' abbandonato. Non so.. ci sento un che di polveroso ma non nel senso della cipra. Mi riferisco alla polvere di casa, proprio quella che ti gratta le narici. Sono deciso a riprovare ora che viene il freddo.

In generale è un prodotto particolare, da provare prima dell'acquisto soprattutto se chi lo compra non ha ben chiaro il profumo di sandalo (no saponetta, no incenso..:) )

shoreshells
shoreshells

I just received this wonderful, my dreams can come true, scent! Woods, incense, everything I like and then some!

sablebombe
sablebombe

Tam Dao smells to me mainly of good incense ! I do smell sandalwood (reminds me of a soap we had when I was a child). I get the musk, Amber, myrtle, very scant rose - but little else! I don't really know what I was expecting but this isn't it! Quality perfume - but, unfortunately, not for me this time as I find it headache inducing!

lara0905
lara0905

Tam Dao is lived up to expectations. Great unisex fragrance, a sensual embrace.
Amazing mixture of the spices( ginger, cardamom and pink pepper I feel), cedar and sandalwood on me,and I really feel some sulphurous thermal water touch in it!.:)This salty undertone makes this scent individual and give some tranquilizer feeling.

stephan
stephan

The sillage is subtle, some people will smell it other won't. Lasting power is EXCELLENT on my skin. It makes me feel very comfortable. The top notes smell like a very nice room spray, but the musky dry down is divine.

Kreen
Kreen

I tried this one out last night for the first time, and I am in love. It starts out fresh with a hint of floral sweetness, but then just melts into the heady lushness of the gorgeous Sandalwood, and finishes with intense Amber that lingers and lingers. I could smells this on myself all night, with only a few dabs on my skin at the beginning of the evening. It's just so special.

Lindy_Mop
Lindy_Mop

A comfort blanket in liquid form. My Rescue Remedy of the perfume world. Like opening a beautiful wooden box, climbing inside and curling up into a ball. Warm, woody and creamy. I find it a very 'round' fragrance if that makes any sense. It lasts all day and evening on me and a stranger told me the other night he thought it "very intriguing". One of my favourites of all time.

Migotka
Migotka

Tam Dao is all about woods. Quite soft, warm, delicate. I feel drawn to it because it almost has a texture- that of hot wood that cracks in the heat of the sun.You can almost feel the cracks with your fingers and smell the heat. At the same time it is a scent of paper- book left in the sun. It is slightly powdery, like saw dust.

It is a simple fragrance, but yet so beautiful. On the stay for a longer while, at least 4 hours or so. It creates a nice, summery, warm atmosphere which I really appreciate. I can see it as a perfect 'work' scent- I can't see how it could offend anyone, and despite being quite transparent, has quite a lot of character.

Louw
Louw

I love this! I really must get some more! On me, it's smoky and mysterious with a hint of spice. Just gorgeous! Reminds me of balmy nights in tropical climates.

Siv55
Siv55

Bizarre morrocan bazaar. Joss sticks in a bottle, but really posh joss sticks, lit in a luxe hippy penthouse somewhere. The Gettys pretending to be Mongolian in a yurt and live a simple life, albeit with all mod cons.

mickers
mickers

Beautiful soft sandalwood fragrance. The top has a slight touch of fresh cypress but this scent is very linear. It's sandalwood throughout the life on my skin. It's like someone took some sandalwood essential oil and thinned it out a little bit. It's very smooth and has the perception of sitting like a velvet blanket on my skin. This one sits closer to the skin. I would have liked more power from this fragrance. Longevity on me 6-8 hours.

I visited the boutique and wasn't impressed with this fragrance. It smelled only like wood, was very boring, almost like one note of sandalwood. It actually reminds me of going to a cheap furniture store and buying unfinished wood. It only lasted 20 minutes before I couldn't smell a trace of it. The salesperson gave me a sample to take home. I tried it over and over again and got the same impression each and every time. I'm shocked at how expensive this scent is given its very poor quality.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

In the very beginning Tam Dao smells slightly green and rice-like, an interesting combination, but within minutes dries down to a monolithic synthetic-smelling sandalwood that completely stifles any other notes. As time goes on, cedar makes its appearance and the sandalwood warms up and seems very natural. The whole thing is actually quite nice in a linear sort of way, but then I’m a big sandalwood lover. There’s plenty of sillage for the first few hours, but the scent gradually fades away over the course of 5-6 hours. This is first and foremost a naturalistic sandalwood scent straight up, so if you like sandalwood it’s worth a try.

BethAshley
BethAshley

Tam Doa is a truly genderless scent as it would not be out of place on anyone.

This fragrance is very different from what I imagined it to be before I had a chance to sample it. I was expecting a clean wood scent but Tam Doa's sandalwood is actually very warm. Once it settels I swear I can smell incense... It's not quite powdery but it certainly borders on it. Perhaps this is the rose's influence?

I appreciate Tam Doa because it's different from main stream fragrances and over all it is very pleasant. It has medium silliage and great lasting power. If I owned a bottle I would find lots of opportunity to wear it. However I do not LOVE Tam Doa enough to actually splurge and buy some for myself.

pipi1
pipi1

more masculine than feminine.Lots of cypress and little incense

adrienn99
adrienn99

well. I love sandalwood. Every sandalwood lover below was singing odes to this perfume. But i dont get any! I got the cypress and cedar wood melting together, forming DILL. I love the smell of dill but maybe not so much in a perfume.
I might like to sniff this on a man though.

hollycat
hollycat

This perfume is so rare because it has such a light touch, but it lasts on me forever.

When I first apply it, I get only sandlewood, then after 15 minutes I get cedar. For those of you who love wood, particularly sandlewood, you must try this. Its such an authentic sandlewood scent, nothing synthetic smelling about this one.

After about an hour or two, the musk begins to show up and stick around with the woods.

The problem I have with this scent is, while I love sandlewood and cedar, I dont want to just smell like sandlewood and cedar. I get no other notes from this. Nothing floral, nothing else.

I think this scent is a good one for layering tho.

adele l
adele l

I love sandalwood- but apparently not all by itself with additional cedar notes. All I got on this one was a clean cedar closet- kept sniffing for flowers and found none. It's not terrible but I don't want to smell of straight up wood-oh well

ppatter
ppatter

I just received a sample of this fragrance. It is a very clean scent on me. I like the sandalwood and the musk. These are the strongest notes on me. Really like this one....

bronstein
bronstein

I don't know why Diptyque's scents are declared as uni-sex, as those I know are far too masculine even for the most androgynous girl. This one, for instance, is wonderful for good-looking intellectuals. Truly original, it's supposed to make people curious about you and your ideas.

magnifico
magnifico

I'm in love with woody scents and sandalwood is my favorite one. I've been looking for a good blended sandalwood perfume and there it was! Very pricey, but i bought it without hesitation. Loved that unique idea of naming, bottle design too.
It gives me such warm and nice mood. If I found some guy who wear this, I'd probably fall in love with him. Love it!

This scent is very very appealing but for some reason I would not wear it as personal scent for myself. It's unisex, but I'd rather smell it on a man, because it's a tribute to sandalwood in its best form. All other notes are complementary and they play around sandalwood to conjure an image of spiritual young man with a tan wearing leather pants.
I also smell cypress which I really like and a good rate musk. Great scent! Almost mystical.

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

I love sandalwood so I was naturally drawn to this one. I get no rose at all in the top notes-on me this is not a floral scent in any way, shape, or form! Instead, it is sandalwood and soft musk blended with very gentle and light spices. It is a perfume that you have to get close to smell-it warms on the body and is not a 'statement' perfume that hits the room before you do. If you like sandalwood in a calm, warm form, this is one for you to try. I believe you will like it.

imgcas

I have given a second try to this fragance and it has pleased me a lot. Now I can get sandalwood and even cypress.
I have to try it on my skin but I am considering seriously to buy a full bottle of this.
Really good.

Edited in June 2010:

I own a bottle and now I can say it is simply wonderful.
The opening notes of cypress and myrtle always impress me, and the quiet, meditative drydown is quite unique.
Like other Fragrantica members have said, I can imagine Tam Dao as an intelligent, shy and spiritual young man who loves to read about different cultures, and has a hidden, adventurous heart.

orlino
orlino

By far, it's the most representative sandalwood perfume !!!

imgcas

It's a shame I can't smell all its notes. I only get pepper, lots of pepper. However, it manages to be fresh and wearable.

Aiona
Aiona

Sandalwood. On my skin, Tam Dao is all about the sandalwood. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of sillage on me. It just stays close to my skin, but it did last all day. I don't much smell the roses in it. Just sandalwood.

Tam Dao by Diptyque 4.14 out of 5 based on 591 ratings and 100 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Diptyque Tam Dao fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Diptyque Tam Dao, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tam Dao by Diptyque. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tam Dao by Diptyque represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.