Designers » D E » Oriental Floral « Groups

Black Cashmere Donna Karan for women
dislike

I have it: 626 I had it: 225 I want it: 625 My signature: 16

Black Cashmere Donna Karan for women Pictures

An intensive spicy-woody fragrance for colder days. “I wanted to create a fragrance which would be a kind of an essence of black cashmere, something dark and mysterious with a sensual and rich texture. There is nothing more opulent!”, – says Donna Karan. Spicy notes of saffron, carnation, red and white pepper intertwine with woody notes of patchouli and african sorts of assorted tree. The nose behind this fragrance is Rodrigo Flores-Roux.

Nutmeg Saffron

10 Corso Como

Black Cashmere Fragrance Reviews

Ditta70
Ditta70

The starting accord on my skin is strong nutmeg with amber, woods, and frankincense. I am not sure about the saffron, but I smell something boozy too. When the fragrance settles, I get some carnation or clove or both. The "african sorts of assorted tree" thingy slightly calls Lubin's Idol into mind, but this is just a weak and adventitious association. It is a pleasantly smoky fragrance, recalling gardens in the fall with burning leaves. The whole composition is rounded and softened by a warm, non-edible vanilla note.

Neither sillage, nor longevity are great on me, I would call both moderate. It is definitely a unisex fragrance.

While it is pleasant, it is not great or outstandingly interesting. It evolves very little after the first 15-20 minutes, it just goes on in a rather linear fashion, slowly getting fainter till it disappears at about the 4 hour mark.

It is a very nicely executed frangrance which however fails to move me really. Politically correct, office friendly and non-offensive. C'est tout.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Black Cashmere opens with an incredibly thick and dark accord of ultra-dense amber, ghastly rancid fruity notes, a humid bouquet of flowers right out of a Baroque still life painting, a gloomy fog of dusty incense, balsamic woody notes and on top of all of that, a *load* of spices. Remarkably "niche" for sure, for being a designer scent - where niche means creative and quite "daring", in a way (surely "nicher" than most of today's niche). There is quite a clear similarity with Lutens' style, as other reviewers have noted, notably for example Arabie for the candied-syrupy notes of resinous fruits and spices, carrying the same kind of exotic warmth and mystical sultry elegance. Still, Black Cashmere is far more dark and urban, at the same time dirty and sophisticated, smelling like luxury black velvet stained with black ink. Fascinating for sure, not the most versatile around though: its thick gloominess is as much intriguing as a bit challenging to wear, also given this scent is quite loud in my opinion (in terms of projection and sillage). Finally, the thing I honestly don't enjoy much is that since the evolution is quite monotone (or should I say absent), the scent remains quite like that - that dark, nasty, obsessive bomb of spices - for hours, and it can easily become a bit cloying soon. And in fact it did so to me. Apart from this, a remarkable scent for sure, Definitely suitable for men too. Worth a try!

7,5/10

archivist
archivist

This perfume is perfectly named - spicy and warm, no sugar to speak of (a very fine and rare-ish quality in a women's scent). It does have a nice incense note, though for incense fanatics it will seem very tame and blended back - whereas those who aren't usually into incense or haven't chased that dragon into the darker corners of the fragranceverse may find it very incensey indeed. Such things are subjective, but do not go into this scent expecting to find something that will be as incense driven as the more frequently cited incense go-to scents (Avignon, Sahara Noir, Cardinal, Messe de Minuit, Miller Harris fumées, and the list goes on).

To my jaded nose - saturated as it is with things that are intense and dark, I guess - this is an office-friendly perfume, not intensely exotic, but certainly very pleasant. When it first came out it would have been an incredible revelation, very different from other popular scents.

aromatique
aromatique

This one is exotic and unusual. I find the pepper and cinnamon both come through strongly on me but it's also rather comforting and warm. It reminds me of being in a souk in Morocco surrounded by dozens of wonderfully rich but unidentifiable smells.

A really great fragrance in the depths of winter...way too overpowering and rich for the English summer.

I also love the design of the bottle (it reminds me of a naughty toy).

Try this - you'll stand out from the crowd.

llburris
llburris

Think I'm going to have to give this a try again in the fall/winter. Right now it smells like a soft, masculine fragrance to me. I dare not get rid of it. I used to be a huge fan of Cashmere Mist before my chemistry decided it wanted to change. I have a nice little box of bottles just dying to jump out and be loved come winter :o) This is definitely in there. I am so hoping that it works out. I want to be a lover of it!

kiristarr
kiristarr

"Her perfume smells like burning leaves. Every day is Halloween." - Type O Negative, "Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All)"

I love Black Cashmere. It is sexy and wicked, calling to mind forbidden sacraments, and it is most certainly the fragrance Little Miss Scare-All was wearing when she "cast that spell on me. Boo b*tch craft." Dark and smoldering, it is only suitable for autumn days that chill to the bone.

TheSultan
TheSultan

amazing. Incredibly amazing. Smells exactly like smoked prunes and nutmeg. no oakmoss or anything synthetic smelling. It's incredible. I'm going to buy another bottle before it becomes impossible to buy for a reasonable price. As it is, it's still not cheap. But it's worth the price.

agentj
agentj

I just received my fb of the new version in the mail yesterday. I had a shower gel to go on as far as whether I would like the scent, and I do love it. It's not nearly as heavy as I expected from reading the reviews here. But then I wear the revised Chaos on almost a daily basis, and it's the most calming perfume I own. My question is this, and maybe I should post this in a forum, do any of you who have the old and new versions detect a major difference? I can't seem to get a full opinion on this, and I'm still considering purchasing a fb of the original. Thanks!

Update: I've been wearing this for the past few days, and it has moved right up to my number one favorite. I thought Chaos was "me", and while I love Chaos, Black Cashmere is her smoother older sister. No rough edges here, just pure scent heaven.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Interesting.

I have a carded tester from sometime in 2002-2003 (the first wave of my perfume obsession), so that's what I'm writing about.

Black Cashmere is sort of tricky. It starts out with a peppery nutmeg and wood combination that's pretty strong, but then I lose it, surprisingly fast. It could be that my skin is simply hard on a lot of perfumes and eats them with great dispatch.

I was ready to write BC off, but as I was working at my desk I kept smelling something lovely and wondering what it was. Finally it occurred to me that it seemed to get stronger every time I paused and rested my chin on my left palm. You know, a few inches from my left wrist.

After a couple of hours I smell a light and complex cinnamon, and a sweet light amber. Black Cashmere turns out to be more long-lived than I thought, and also to change quite a bit as it dries down. It also has pretty far-ranging sillage. I confess myself surprised.

DandelionPicker
DandelionPicker

I really love this in the fall/winter. It's warm and spicy and makes me think of boots and scarves and fallen leaves and fires. Very rich smelling.

diamondsr4ever
diamondsr4ever

Sorry guys,
This is going to disappoint some of you. (I normally have a real affinity with Donna Karan's offerings.)
On the first spritz I got a huge blast of a medicinal aroma. Then the nutmeg kicked in and it hasn't left the room. There is also (very much in the background) musk. A really dirty musk. (Not even listed in the notes) It has given me a real head-ache but it won't wash off.
However, for what it is worth, my skin eats fragrance and this little lady only needed one quick blast from the vial.Probably a real beauty on those with the complimentary skin chemistry, unfortunately it's not me.
I personally think this could be a unisex.

Yohji
Yohji

I knew it existed somewhere, my Precccious, that will turn me into Gollum at once
But I would never expect it will be Black Cashmere...Impulsive blind buy that turned my world upside down and I just "got" how IS on my best inner opinion a Great Fragrance smells like.
My bottle is this old smooth stone. My juice is most peaceful puzzles from the childhood – to sleep in front of open fire at my Granddad's farm right on the sheepskin after early service in orthodox church. Delicious mix of wool, nutmeg and saffron, its better than in a dream. Better than any oud-niche ones..There is no incense in it, or frankincense, its an agarwood sort of woodiness
“We wants it, we needs it, must have the precious”.

madgefan
madgefan

Just bought this from Donna Karan's official website. Don't know if it's been reformulated or not since I never smelt the version with the oval bottle. It's very nice though. Smells exactly like wood chips. Not overpowering though. It's sexy and mysterious. Very daring for a woman's fragrance. It's very unisex. I like fragrances marketed to women that forgo the sweet trend. Not all women want to smell like candy.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

Sultry, autumnal, Halloween, dark, incense-y, sensuous, confident, mysterious. It's perfection.

Similarities in its smoky aura to Bvlgari Black. Bvlgari is motorcycles, leather, cigarettes, steel and urban and sexy. This is Victoriana, pagan, eerie, beguiling, private. It's reminiscent of firesides and old, old stories, as much as it is candle light and cigar, older boots still, crossed on a table as a kick butt babe reclines in a velvet seat, contemplating the breaking storm outside.

Well done, DK.

rockegg
rockegg

People either love or hate this. It's as far removed from a fruity/floral fragrance as it can possibly be. I happen to love it, but only in certain weather. I'm on my second bottle.

To me it smells like sinking into the buttery soft black leather seats of an expensive automobile on a frosty night, with someone very, very sexy at the wheel.

I should probably add that it makes me feel slightly stoned. I don't know what ingredient is doing that.

alsaedi
alsaedi

hello friends
I want to know which perfume's fixative I can use and from where I can get it ?

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

I can imagine that my review may bring out Black Cashmere aficionados to light up their torches and bring out their pitchforks. But in my defense, I shall state what I always do because it is plain truth. My body chemistry is to blame for my experience, not this perfume.

Alright, now that we got that point out the way, here is my review:

Black cashmere...
I was expecting something warm, comforting, organic, and luxurious. On me, it smelled as if I hugged cashmere while it was still alive on the goat. Patchouli and I clash more often than not, but the spices and amber saved this fragrance from being a total nightmare to my nostrils. The patchouli and woodsy notes were a bit overkill and I had to take a walk outside of the department store and go for a long and lonely stroll. A walk of shame right into the nearest loo to wash it off.

It was definitely warm, somewhat smoky and organic, but there is something I find quite frequently in DK perfumes...they tend to have a rather cheap undercurrent that flows along with the scent. I suspect it may be the choice of alcohol used, not so much the ingredients themselves.

Too bad I've never been given this perfume as a gift, I would have loved to have used it to troll my boyfriend by making him believe it was his computer's mouse. All trolling aside, this perfume failed to inspire me to buy it. A definite PASS.

Soie
Soie

I smelled this years ago and recall that I did not care for the scent of it. "Curried shoe leather" is how my sister describes it.

Erin perfume addict
Erin perfume addict

I read about this for months but could never find it in stores. I finally ordered it and was disappointed. It smells funny on me. I can't put my finger on the note but it's smells like freshly cut grass, not offensive, but I don't was to smell like grass.

Labaloo
Labaloo

Yep- re-released in 3.4oz/100ml EDP on the DK website for 120USD; the new bottle isn't as exquisite as the original, however...

pravda48
pravda48

+1 for using the phrase "sea of non-scents" [below]

blondeambitioned
blondeambitioned

Well it looks like Donna Karan has answered Desertrat's prayers... Black Cashmere is available again on the Donna Karan website in the 3.4 oz size :)

desertrat

Are you lucky? If you are, like me, Black Cashmere is Divine on you. It's so perfect for the holidays and colder temps. On me it conjures up Renaissance images of cathedrals, castles, and damsels in distress, romantically speaking, of course. I have the original as I was obsessed when I discovered it and bought boat loads. I especially love Enigma7510's review and wholeheartedly agree. If you are lucky enough to be the woman, or man, secure enough in your own skin and compatible chemistry to pull this masterpiece off, it will serve you grandly. My respectful plea to Donna Karan is simply this: Dare to bring Black Cashmere back, even if it's not popular, for those of us who would worship at your feet in return. Dare to stand for a Fragrance Icon awash in a sea of non-scents.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a partial bottle of this after realizing it's discontinuation. This doesn't sell at the price of a typical DK scent anymore. It's matching the prices of our late Neonatura Cocoon, which is disheartening for a few reasons. Regardless, I'm thankful to have my own now even if I can't replace it later down the road.
The scent inside this black pebble, computer mouse bottle is really something to be had. It kicks off with a peppery nutmeg mix, along with saffron and woods. The vanilla peeks through after 30 mins or so and the faint hint of florals makes an entrance as well. Its just amazingly warm and spicy with the right touch of sweetness. I now understand why so many called this their go to winter scent.... I can almost hear jingle bells from the bottle!

Ayola83
Ayola83

This, to me, is very reminiscent of going to church and smelling the frankincense that envelopes the place. Very dry, smoky, spicy, and comforting. It's a unique scent and it can be unisex, it's so masculine. At first spray, it'll light up a room with the clove and patchouli (which stayed with me), but when it dried down, I couldn't place anything else but the clove, pepper, and patchouli with the woods in the background. It is an acquired taste/scent that doesn't disappoint.

pushkin1
pushkin1

After years of trying to source this fragrance in Australia and obsessing over it, I finally blind-bought from eBay and couldn't be happier. This is completely stunning and original and makes me feel so happy just to smell. It opens with a strong clove note, and softens to a spicy Wenge wood that is unique among commercial perfumes of my experience. I will be scouring the internet for this for as long as it is available. Five smoky, incensey stars. An absolute tragic loss to the fragrance world.

Enigma7510
Enigma7510

Black Cashmere is for a sultry, sophisticated woman...an enigmatic mystery who is not at all concerned with (or even aware of) popular approval, and winds up getting it anyway! This is an incense, peppery, cardamom, smoky attar scent seduction. A dry fragrance with strength but not assaulting, and no sweet cloying heaviness. Not for the meek of heart nor for those who want to smell like a box of chocolate covered apricots (read: stepford wives, strippers and aging mall rats).

Black Cashmere is a signature scent for an unintentional provocateur, a completely rare and beautiful enchantress who enjoys not being or smelling like anyone else. Ever. If you are the right woman for this perfume, men will follow you, never forget you and come back for more. It's that emotionally powerful. Heartbreaking that the original formulation has been discontinued. Nothing else smells like it. Not even close. Sigh.

happilymarried26
happilymarried26

This was bought for a present, I can honestly say it's the worse perfume I've smelt, it made me feel sick as soon as I smelt it.
The only way I can describe it is like this..you know the comfort fabric conditioner when they changed all the fragrances to a fake kinda smell with something chemical smell left behind, yep that's it.

MzScents8ional
MzScents8ional

Black Cashmere is very spicy but has a mentholated note to me. To me it smells like vicks vapor rub with a bit of clove in it. It's not a bad smell, no, but it is not something that in the order of perfume I would like to smell like. Now, if I had a head cold I would perhaps reach for the Black Cashmere and spray it on my chest and breath in the vapors....Not my fragrance.

DR521
DR521

To me this reads like an incense cologne or eau de toilette. It is everything that has been described, and I want to add that it is very transparent, which is unusual for something that is so present. Perhaps that is what reviewers mean by its being dry. I also think these heavy spices become lighter because they are layered over a clean musk base that may be Galaxolide, as it reminds me a bit of drydown of (old) Hypnotic Poison. Initially I get incense and saffron that to me smells like cardamom, wafting in a transparent veil. It seems like it will disappear, but then morphs into a mentholated labdanum over a warm sunny saffron. This radiates; I was expecting an incense cloud but experience it more of a transparent but ever-present veil. It's definitely unisex. One that grows more comfortable with each wearing. Sophisticated yet casual.

lovetribe
lovetribe

i had it. for me is unisex

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Hmmmmmm. First of all I love the shape of the bottle, like a beautiful smooth black river rock. This is smoke and spice right out of the gate and has a dominating presence for sure. The spices are gorgeous, the smoke/incense is perfection and don't even get me started on the dry down!!!

A light hand is all you need. This little beauty lasts and lasts. This lasts 12+ hours on my skin. As others have stated, I have woken up the next morning to the softest reminder of the beautiful perfume I wore the night before. I know this scent is dry as a bone but if the most luxurious black cashmere had a scent it would whisper DK's Black Cashmere. This is the 1st fragrance I pull out of my drawer when the weather starts to turn chilly. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! Fall and winter wouldn't be the same without this baby!!!

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

I used to have this years ago and LOVED it!! I didn't know they re-released it until now so thank-you!. So spicy, woody and very sexy. I'll definitely seek it out to buy this Winter.

gividaletti
gividaletti

a pleasant surprise, opens with wood and turmeric, which refers to a smell woodsmoke same, but this output is nothing that scares a few minutes ..... the Ambar appears and makes that smoky resin, I could have sworn I had oil coconut ....... thought perfect, I was lucky to find mine with good price. :)

RkrChk
RkrChk

Upon reading the reviews, I felt badly that this particular DK fragrance garnered so many kudos because I was sincerely scratching mah head goin', "huh?" Yet, I couldn't resist giving my two cents anyway...Upon the first spray, I surmized that it was a lucky thing that I sprang for a few samples online instead of blind buying a full bottle...Initially, I was almost kicking myself for having spent a few dollars for the samples but yet, reminded myself that another stroke of luck was not having succeeded in a swap for this questionable baby...

The opening of DK BC on my skin was hideously medicinal...It reminded me of Listerine mouthwash with a bit of that burned plasticky smelling liquid handsoap you are forced to use in a public bathroom...Oh, the horror...

This stinkiness [no other way to describe it, folks] lasted about 1/2 an hour...Then, the 'heavy' old-fashioned shaving foam stench commenced...Yeesh...It is indeed masculine on my skin and not in a good way..

Then, lordy, lordy...DK BC does a total 'about face.' It stops being combatitive, and oddly, after two hours, extends a peace offering with a sexy 'come hither' invitation...The saffron, patchouli, amber and bewitching African wenge wood notes decide to harmonize -- this is the seductive payoff for putting up with such a stanky opening...

Yup...This is mos def the Ugly Duckling morphing into the Stunning Swan...

gaz525
gaz525

Smells nice after a while but in the beginning it smells like going to the dentist to me

melancholybaby

An unusual and unique fragrance - that is saying a lot in these days of hundreds of releases! So glad that DK decided to re-release it. Incense is the note that leads and lasts on my skin; there is a slight harshness, mellowed by warmth and spices. This is not "church like" incense, but more a warm, sultry note that makes you want to curl up and enjoy!

desertrat

I haven't worn Black Cashmere in a while as our desert temps are far too high for this powerhouse fragrance. Now that Monsoon weather has kicked in, cloudy, grey, and cooler temperatures, its perfect conditions for the wearing. It's easy to forget just how wonderful BC is. Floral notes are the underpinning that supports the smoke and incence and keeps the overall effect from being too masculine. For me, it was love at first olfactory hit. I was immediately addicted. There is nothing like it and many lesser souls have tried. It is a masterpiece and stands on its own. It will always be a vital part of my wardrobe. To say I love it is an incredible understatement. I absolutely adore it. Life without Black Cashmere is an incomplete life...

Lauralee77
Lauralee77

I used to have this years ago but gave it to my bf at the time it seemed to suit him better. It's definitely unisex. It's sexy but a touch too much for me. There's smoky rum and raisin there and incense, hard to describe. It's interesting. Worth sampling if you like that sort if thing but a bit too strong for me. Still very nice though :)

ecp
ecp

I agree completely with Lizapnelli! It is Santa Fe...unlike anything else.

I don't typically wear warm, spicy scents but was talked into trying this.
I love it...surprised myself. It is soft and delicious, smells of wonderful memories, beautiful people and places. Mellow, comfortable, like a good companion. Warm and inviting. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Lasted well over 12 hours. Woke up the following morning to the most delicate, indescribable scent. The scent of a perfect day.

Wow! Lucky me to find this.
Erin

(I'm usually not one to gush, but this one really has a positive effect on me).

kabelaced
kabelaced

Musky and spicier than Femininité du Bois, but I was disappointed with its relatively short lasting time (only about four hours on my skin. In the undercurrent of this perfume I am reminded of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's "Morocco."

pvfp
pvfp

The only fragrance with patchouli in it that I've ever been able to wear without feeling my throat was going to close. Beautiful, mysterious, dark ...everything I think a woman should be, in a bottle. ;) How I miss it!

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

LOVE this. What an amazing scent. No wonder people are so crazy about this. I'm a spice lover but normally I go for more gourmand, vanillic scents and I didn't originally think I would like this one. Boy, am I impressed. It's absolutely gorgeous. A little woody, a little incense-y, a little sweet, and a lot spicy! I also appreciate that the scent is strong, but you don't feel like you are going to walk into a room and have everyone look up at you like wtf?! Sillage and longevity are just right. I would truly love a bottle of this if I could find one. :) If I could organize my shelf by "moods", I would put this one right next to the Kenzo Jungle Elephant!

Ouch!
Ouch!

This is a dark brooding scent, that manages to be soft and sultry at the same time. It’s spicy from the nutmeg and pepper, very woodsy..but really woodsy..like bark or..pencil shavings. It’s not really my cuppa tea but I would say it’s very aptly named. Dark soft smoothness fits really well.

I sometimes get hints of what I can only describe to be “coffee” tones. It’s weird, but it feels murky AND fluffy at the same time. And although it’s soft, I wouldn’t call this a pleasant smell, not to me anyway. This has a dark sultry feeling to it.

The more I smell it on myself the more I’m getting turned off by it. Deffo not my cuppa tea as I said. This is Cashmere Mist's, uglier, older and more witchy sister! Haha. I love dark scents as much as the next person but something in here is just...not sitting right.

Sistermoon777
Sistermoon777

OMG I love this perfume - I had it a few years back. It is a perfect winter scent. It wraps around like a warm woolly scarf. Unique and uplifting. It is smokey but has some lovely high notes. The sillage is both enormous and soft - in that it is subtle, very subtle, but always noticeable - that in my mind is a sexy scent! If perfumery is architecture this scent is a catherdral. I though it was discontinued however today saw it has been rereleased - not in the pebble shaped bottle though and is pricey - but totally worth the dolleros!

Bitter, woody and mature. I smell mouldering tree bark. Assertive. I get quite a bit of carnation. A dark, "old school" fragrance.
I think this one works very well for men as well as women.

antfarm
antfarm

Saffron, incense, and the inside of a person's clean (but not minty) mouth. It reminds me of when I was twelve years old and my sister and I tried to inhale incense smoke through our mouths like we were smoking because we thought for some reason that it would make us "cool" and more grown-up.

The incense-saffron-mouth trinity sounds like it would be heavy and oppressive, but no. The combination is all very light and airy, as well as wearable. How a guardian angel would smell. I can't believe this was discontinued.

kl99
kl99

Pure ebony wood.

Is the smell of the house of the sicilian mother of a friend of mine in my childhood, that was back from India, where his husband had work, as widow, filling her flat with indian fornitures, elephant tusks, statues in black wood, oriental rugs, metal cups with gems, ivory knifes, incenses, kajal.. It was odd and exciting house for italian children.. and "that" perfume..

No Incense in the notes list. Incredible!

UPDATING:

Fragrance born in 2002, no Oud inside, but I do believe this composition has teached and inspired so many nowdays fragrances.

It's one of those rare fragrances that deserve the "black" in it's name. It's also bitter and serious some way, but still sensual and spiritual at the same time. And no leather also, incredible again.
This is also one of those fragrances you have to live with for some days before to fully appreciate.
This perfume is even more masculine that feminine, then at least it should be unisex.

lizapnelli
lizapnelli

black cashmere is the smell of santa fe, new mexico in winter. there is no other place, or smell, like it. not an everyday scent but definitely one of my favorites.

amanda0901
amanda0901

@ Rdharmapuri - I totally agree! This smells exactly like my dentist's surgery. Too harsh on me, I just couldn't hack this fragrance at all, I'm afraid.

rdharmapuri
rdharmapuri

This is pure clove extract and nothing else. I can't spot any other note! I've been patient for the other notes to develop but nay! I just smell like a bag of cloves, so much so that someone would think I am on my way to the dentist after self-treating my toothache with a gallon of clove oil :(

tsunnami
tsunnami

Too tooo TOOO much on me.
I received a sample in my Spring Luxe box, so I gave it a try.

It's starts out as a sharp, sour, almost caustic smell. I even waited for the dry down, and it didn't do anything. It smelled like old lady meets hippy. It was weird.

The pepper wood patchouli mix didn't meld into anything interesting with my skin chemistry. Which stinks (no pun intended) because those of you that reviewed it make it seems so sexy and seductive. :(

L0tus23
L0tus23

This is my favourite of all perfumes, it's unusual and heady and unlike anything else i own. If you don't like clove/cinnamon/nutmeg spicy mixes then you are not going to like this, but this to me is like home on a winter's night.

As others have said, there is a comfort to this scent that is unbelievable, it's warm and sensual and draws you in slowly with it's layers. I only wear this on special occasions and mostly during Winter but it's so sexy in a subtle way i relish it when i do.

Not a strong overpowering 'look at me!' kinda knockout, which isn't my personality style either.... more of a quietly confident and alluring woman, sliding past you in black boots, unbridled hair and earthy sex appeal. It's the kind you want your lover to lean in and notice as they kiss your neck.

Is hard to find, especially in Australia but definitely worth the investment for having something unique and sensual.

Mindal
Mindal

Самый шикарный аромат из всего того , что есть от Донны каран !
Аромат шика, блеска, дорогих ювелирных украшений, мехов и всего роскошного! Просто обожаю его на протяжении многих лет !

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Somewhat overrated, especially compared to the other superior Donna Karan scents (pre-DKNY technicolor devo). The drydown is in fact smoothly incensed, graceful and grand. But one must sit through a sandpaper opening and riveted middle. It feels like those too tight, high waisted early 90s jeans looked. Though I love strong scents, Black Cashmere is almost obscenely loud, an all-black clad chain-smoking corporate artist with a booming New York accent. She might be your type. I strongly prefer Signature and Chaos. Black Cashmere is the scent of the incense itself, fire and all. Signature and Chaos waft more of the incense smoke.

momtoeve
momtoeve

I get loads of compliment anytime I wear this. Dark and mysterious, yet warm and inviting. Reminds me of the smells of midnight mass. Unique and lovely!

smellME
smellME

Black cashmere... is like wearing liquorice !!
To my surprize there is NO liquiorice notes to this composition. It must be the pepper and nutmeg creating that smell together...
The initial blast of a few seconds is a little dry incense to me but must be saffron I guess, than the nice liquorice is revealed, almost like salt liquorice that is so popular heré in Sweden.
I love this start. Black cashmere is as read in the little text above,
said to smell like the essence of black cashmere the darkest of dark .
I guess they meen soft as a cashmere sweater.The vanilla in the dry down creates that feeling.I have to say I have smelled darker scents not ...meaning this is bad,
but I would call it a soft black - almost charcoal grey to my nose.
This is still lovely though. !
Makes me think of DK signature mixed with her Wenge ,that I dont at all think is a twin to this, but maybe a older and very determend sister ...
or brother.It also reminds me of dior addict in the drydown.
I find my memory of DK dk, signature wins the battle.of darkness -
at least to me..and the surch has to go on , for it !!
This sample is classy and nice to wear for both day and evening all year round, because og´f its softness.
I enjoy wearing it - thanks someone for letting me have a sample !
Longevity 8/10
Sillage 6/10
Smell 7/10

melancholybaby

The saffron note in the opening gives the fragrance a bitter, sharp edge; however, this softens in the drydown and the spicy-woody notes take clear precedence. It is a deep and dark fragrance, dense and warms. It is reminiscent on my skin of Chaos, with more bitterness and a strange honey note.

pepe7111
pepe7111

the secret object of desire...elegant ,refined ,black hole which carries you to a different way of living .for me the smell is a dry .delicate ,but ever inspiring odour which is never ceased to amaze us.
who was the person behind thebottle design ? the late sprouse of donna karan ?

tuturab
tuturab

Amazing!! I love wearing this to bed on a cold wintery night - In bed with Black Cashmere ~ comfort, warm and totally luxurious!!

Nicolle
Nicolle

Classy,posh, so sensual perfume ... it makes you feel warm and cosy, self-confident and exceptional. For me it's real temptation and magic! I'm fully bewitched and enchanted by it ... this perfume is not for everyone, but if you understand and accept it - your love will last forever - evergreen, unchangeable and timeless!!!

erilika
erilika

Dark smoky incense. A very lovely fragrance with such an adorable bottle design. 30ml sits in my handbag so comfortably.

A scent that can accompany me day or night, just great.

perfumesniffer
perfumesniffer

A beautiful oriental. Very dry spices and incense.

Deep & meditative, Black Cashmere starts off potent but mellows after an hour. Definitely unisex.

mar-gosha
mar-gosha

This one was a blind buy for me. I imagined I would love it since I like woody, spicy notes with a hint of flowers. After spraying it on myself all I can smell is smoke and incense - no amber or patchouli, no rose or carnation. Even after it dries down it doesn't change on me. I expected more from this fragrance, especially that it's hard to find and it's so expensive. My husband just hates it. I had to go take a shower because he couldn't stand it on me. Must be not working well with my body chemistry. Too bad...

mashka
mashka

ONE OF THE BEST PERFUMES I HAVE HAD!!!!!
IMPOSSIBLE TO DESCRIBE. MAGIC IN A BOTTLE!
So sad it is discontinued, I treasure every drop.

susaninha
susaninha

i buy one bottle maybe 7 or 8 years ago...the bottle is still full because i can´t stand the smell. it´s to much! my ex-boyfriend just hated the smell and he can´t stay near me while i used that parfume. not for me although i am a fanatic parfume lover!

andycandies
andycandies

NOOOOO!!! After about an hour of wearing it I started feeling very nauseous! Sooo sad.... It's such a lovely smell.

melinamelp
melinamelp

Spicy, wooden, dark and warm, smells like old magic books, library, sometimes griefy, sometimes warm. Interesting combination , not for all ages and not for all women.
Ladies in mid 30ties or older, brunettes, wearing mysterious dark warm velvets, in the autumn evening..

junior halston
junior halston

this should have just been marketed as unisex for it works well with both genders. on a women it takes on such as air of sophistication as being out in the cool brisk New England night with the stars in full bloom. for men it take on a rugged rogue feeling of that mysterious person either through their glance or impeccable style caught your attention and you want to know more about them.

;-)
;-)

My signature sent. I had it in the late '90 and used it to the last drop, but I couldn't find it again. :-( Armani Mania was the closest thing but it also got dicontinued. And so a year ago I stamble up on the news that it's back! The tricky thing was that it was only at DK online, Nieman Marcus and Harrod's and only to be delivered in US or UK, Bummer! But with the help of a friend I managed to order one to her sister in the UK and she sent it to me in Sweden and what a joy! As good as I remembered it, woody, spicey, just discretly feminine and perfect for colder weather, (I have to skip it wen I go abroad for a sunny vacation and a hand full of hot summer days). It's a sent most sertenly not for everyone but for me it was finding my signature sent again. I feel comfortable wearing it, I feel instantly proper and secure, it's like nice underwear or high class jewelry. ;-) When my bottle it empty I'll fly to London just to get my hands on a new one if I have to.
And I love the new bottle as well, large enough to last and like the Kiehl's bottles no fuss, just plane simple and elegant.

Heverton
Heverton

Classified as a feminine scent (which I completely disagree with), Black Cashmere opens up with a dominant burned woody smell,(I do smell incense, although not listed in the notes) mixed with an evident spicy tone of saffron and nutmeg.

The scent lasts for about 30 minutes, and soon after that, goes down giving more space to a white pepper note. Longevity on this one is very good.

crimubiru
crimubiru

its a pity this is a rare find- an ideal representation of classic scent, with a dark richness not commonly found
anyone knows where i can get me one of these lately?
been searching for this for close to 9 years now

Cabble
Cabble

I adore this fragrance - it sends me to a happy place when I put it on and I would wear it as my signature fragrance if I could get my hands on another bottle. I love the cinnamon/carnation/spice scents which I adore.

Louw
Louw

I love incense notes in a fragrance, but this one has too much patchouli for my liking and it gives me a headache. It's a 'no' from me, I'm afraid.

Pierina
Pierina

I popped by David Jones tody to try this gorgeous smoky/spicy bomb on my skin and see about getting my name on that list.
To my delight a solitary bottle came in and was there ~ Just.For.Me!
So I bought it and tested the tester... Wont be returning it!
This has heavenly spices with a whisker of florals, a kiss of rose and carnation, seasoned to purfection with some pepper and that smokiness, its similar to woodsmoke but not overpowering.
The spray on my wrist after 4 hours is still very detectable but soft, its the squirt down cleavage that is producing a strong comforting pulse of perfume.
This is so deffinately a winter scent, absolutely suited to leather and wool and I would suggest spraying on the warmest parts of the body and on clothing.
This will be my signature for winter.
So pleased to be one of the few to have in in 'Ye ol Perth town'

mika71
mika71

Love this in autumn and winter. Strong, so I apply with a light hand, but the dry down is a dreamy blend of spices and incense. Brilliant sweater scent. Love love love!

As an incense fragrances lover I had to test Black Cashmere and I got totally satisfied. If you ever wondered about designer's fragrances that smell like niche you have to test this marvellous composition by Rodrigo Flores-Roux. A distinctive and very elegant blend of frankincense and spices (clove) on a delicate floral accord of incredible beauty. Stark yet friendly. A perfect unisex fragrance that comfortably seats next to expensier up-market releases and niche's cult compositions. Dark, mysterious, intriguing and intoxicating.

I still have to make up my mind on the packaging / bottle, but this is part of the Black Cashmere's mysterious game.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I have a couple of samples, but a while back I bought a partial bottle of this, knowing it was something I would like. It’s the silly black mouse bottle, one of the few that I’ll tolerate despite the fact that it doesn’t stand up by itself.

The first thing I smell is frankincense, lots of it. Then it’s joined by woody and resinous notes, cedar, sandalwood, a pinch of clove/carnation and nutmeg, and a bit of myrrh and probably some cashmeran, hence the name. There’s a slightly smoky feel to the whole composition, like walking some distance away from a campfire or fireplace where fresh cedar and juniper wood is burning.

When I first smelled the incense in the opening, I expected a heavy fragrance, but BC is very light and airy. At first, it’s delicate wisps of smoke drifting through the cool outdoor air, not a heavy wool wrap. It has plenty of sillage, but it’s subtle, not the sort that hits you in the face. It’s safe to spray, at least in small amounts, which is something I can’t say for most commercial perfumes. As it dries down, it becomes a little sweeter, with the vanilla and amber starting to come through, but overall it stays fairly linear, gradually thickening and increasing in intensity. It lasts at least 12 hours, and is still there full force on clothing the next day and the next ….

Black Cashmere is one of my go-to scents in the rotation that I wear regularly, but it does need to be used in moderation.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

This has quickly become one of my cold weather favorites along with Tabacco Vanille. Let me begin by telling you that I am of the male sex of the species, and I see this as completely unisex. Dark and woody and spicy enough for anyone who desires such a fragrance. Gypsy Parfumista was nice enough to include this sample in a package he sent me, and it was the first thing I reached for. After a couple of tests on my skin, I hopped on the internet and ordered a full bottle. I could try to describe this by breaking it down to its spicy notes, but that would still not give you a feel for this wonderful scent. Donna Karan said she was going for oppulence, and let me tell you, she succeeded. This is a gorgeously warm, rich, comfort fragrance. It feels like a favorite cashmere sweater in the arms of someone you love while sitting by a warm fireplace on a quiet snowy evening. Are you getting the picture? :)

Scentaholic
Scentaholic

I REALLY like this one! I find the name to be quite fitting. Upon the first spray the Saffron hits you right in the nose! It's so spicy and smokey, smells like burning wood in a fireplace on a cold DARK night. This is certainly a WINTER scent. I too agree this could be a unisex scent.

dragonesque
dragonesque

I have obtained a decanted sample of Black Cashmere and I rushed to test it. Indeed, having little expectations saves one from disappointment. I have wanted to try this perfume for so long, I have read so many praising reviews, I have imagined it to be so beautiful and unique… Now that I have worn it from morning till night I can say that this is a rather linear spicy scent on me. Unfortunately, there’s nothing black and nothing cashmere about it. What I get is freshly ground nutmeg with a little vanilla. At first, it has a sweet medicinal cough syrup note which disappears quite quickly. Then it settles down and becomes pure fresh spicy nutmeg. The nutmeg becomes sweeter and woodier in the base, but this is still nutmeg. Well, maybe the weather is wrong, or my skin chemistry does not allow me to appreciate potential beauty of this juice, but what I feel about BC is that … it is boring. I’ll keep my sample till warmer days come to give it another try.

Update: Wear it with wool as the name suggests - then it becomes as dark, smoky and incensy as it is described by other reviewers.

AmberLove
AmberLove

Today I received this unique, hard to find gem!
This was a blind buy for me, I always wanted to smell this as the notes seem very intriguing.
Well, my first impression was: Wow, very woodsy, masculine and nicely spiced!
This gem is an amalgamation of different kinds of woods drenched in a spice bath full of pepper and mainly cloves.
Yes, cloves are the scenestealer all the way for me!!
From the beginning I can smell the cloves,very sharp in the beginning and later it stays very soft on the background.
I have never encountered such a fragrance before! A very mystical scent, perfect for cold, dark weather. What I like is, how it changes its character from a smoky bit masculine scent into a soft, milky comforting scent.
I am glad that I have tested this at least once.
But I know that its not my scent, though I like it very much but still its not me. I know my father would love this scent very much, but since he bathes in his perfumes, I will definate not give this rare scent to him. Will put this up for swap.

bhean_sidhe
bhean_sidhe

I tried it several times and wasn't really sure if I wanted it or not. As it's difficult to find and kind of expensive, you'd better be sure before getting a full bottle. So a friend decanted it for me and.... no, I don't want it. Although it's got a lot of wood, some spices and a medical accent I actually like a lot, it's way too dry for me. Vanilla is listed in the notes, but I can't really smell it at all. So, to be happy with it, I layered it with Kenzo Amour. Guess I'd better swith to Amour and forget about Black Cashmere.

Sissi
Sissi

Don't be fooled by reviews that this is a dark scent ok it has good amount of incense but i'ved smelled perfumes that
are darker then this like Habanita and amouage Lyric Woman but it promises to offer coziness and warmness those are the
ones i agree with, Black Cashmere has the same dominant note of Saffron as of Chaos
but not as overpowering then chaos

it does give you to cozy feel of a cashmere sweater i also love the nutmeg
note it reminiscent to the scent of hot espresso on a cold winters day curled up
with a good book,

the spices are suble and yet noticible
and with carnation to warm the senses
and powdery rose to dry the middle for
the more woodsy touches of Sandalwood
pure and uncut warm amber and vanilla

I wouldn't called it Opulent dark mysterious I think it's a little to
shy for that and a bit modest but
Cozy warm and Soothing.

...after 2 hours...

ok. finally this witch of a fragrance isn't making me wretch.

in fact, if it continues like this, by 6 pm (it's 1pm now) i will love the stuff.

i did mix it with the omnia. all i smelled was black bilge. so i threw on some cashmere mist on the pile. take one gross fragrance, one great one and one about which i'm luke warm to cool, and it should even out.

i think it has.

WOW! i have had an ephiphany. thinking. with dk, i have to think, sniff, think, etc. until i reach no decision at all.

i don't wear perfume to strain my brain. that's why i watch tv.

personal perfume chemistry should be just that: an spark of recognition. i give each new fragrance i don't love 3 tries, a few days apart.

but NONE of them require so much bloody THINKING. i like it, i don't. i like the top notes only, i like the dry down better, the whole thing is great, or totally...

with dk, i feel like i'm having to invent the stuff. she is not paying me enough for that. based on her perfumes, she's not paying anyone enough to do that.

oh well. i'm going to lie down. i have a headache.

oopsfauxpas

i had never hit the dislike button. but i have now.

i adore saffron perfumes. i thought i'd mix this with bvlgari (god i hate those precious twits for that bloody "v") omnia, or wear it alone.

alone is right. it won't even mix with dishwashing liquid enough to come off my hands.

and this complete idiot, this dolt, bought 2 litres (yeah, you read right) before even sniffing the junk. it was 99 bucks, what're you going to do? an auction where nobody else bids should have been the subtle clue.

i better consult my extra evil enemy list and pick one out for a special delivery.

no, i won't let them have the bottles. i'll spray the outside of their house and car and yard with it. the paint will peel, the tires go flat, and the grass will wither on contact.

i could have liked this one just a little more.

time for dk to get out of the scent biz.
one good perfume this woman makes. just one. and it isn't black. it's gold.

lillybee
lillybee

I second gypsy perfumista's opinion, so rather than writing another take on this sultry oriental gem, here's a tip:

I just aquired a huge bottle of Chaos by Donna Karan, the re-edition in the tall black bottle and is a part of the 'Essence' range, thinking it's the original Chaos fragrance which I never smelled.

Oddly, I actually think the new Chaos is the mixture of 80% dark, woodsy-nutmeg-clove heaven Black Cashmere + 20% light and creamy spice benzoin Theorema.

So if you're trying to hunt down BC, I recommend you go for the re-issued Chaos that can be purchased in UK department stores for £55 / 100ml Eau de Parfum. I actually got mine on ebay for half as much.

This is one of the most wonderful perfumes I have ever smelled! It is so sad all the wonderful ones are now so hard to find or much too expensive. My mom is a big fan of Cashmere Mist and DK in general; but for the most part CM didn't thrill me, it's nice enough, but THIS is beyond heavenly...

*Malegria: Thank you Eva for the generous sample you gave Mother!*

An opening devoid of citrus, fruits or any greens cuts right to the chase and opens with a wonderful warm nutmeg aroma that is spicy, yet smooth and powdery. The saffron's delicate floral pollen like aroma adds to this with a subtle rich flavor. The heart is spicy peppered carnation and a dry rose scent that reminds one of a flower pressed in a book to remember a long lost lover. This blends with the skin so well, and feels soft and warm not unlike a cashmere sweater, that still carries the scent of a heavy incensy resin or balm. The drydown is grand: oriental, sweet, and exotic. Rodrigo Flores-Roux; I should have known, the man is a wizard when it comes to creating unique and superb perfumes. More incense and woods than florals; this is a splendid spicefest that I won't soon forget, and will add it to my top ten most wanted scents ever...

Sillage: very good
Longevity: excellent
Overall: 4.75/5

This scent is supposed to be a woman's perfume but it smells just wonderful on my male skin; and in fact very warm, and masculine as far as I am concerned. I have a new love in my life-a dark, smooth, exotic beauty that keeps me warm and loved; a sacred love that others may not understand, but takes me back to ancient forests, burnt offerings and mysterious rituals-a time when things were simpler and Mankind, Nature and the Gods were in harmony...

gypsyqueenmother
gypsyqueenmother

A special thank you to Malegria: Thank you Eva for the gift of this wonderful perfume. It exceeded my expectations.

A superb spicy floral with a heavenly incensy finish. Perfect for cold winter nights...

guest_Catherine
guest_Catherine

I really love this scent, but it is so heavy on me that by the end of the day I have nausea. And I normally am not that sensitive to fragrance. It has that heaviness to it that incense at Mass has. But it is a beautiful scent.

Black Cashmere, is rich, sultry and dark. I liken it more to black, shiny silk rather than cashmere.

There is something oddly sexual about this fragrance, perhaps it is its slightly masculine smokiness and bold spiciness. I'm surprised that this wasn't so popular when it was first released, however the amount of followers it has gained since the re-release has been huge.

In a sense this fragrance is quite complex, with an array of spicy notes, woods and earthy vanilla. I expected this fragrance to be much stronger, sillage-wise than it was. Black Cashmere is surprisingly quite intimate, soft almost.

The scent is bewitchingly beautiful, a definite must-try for incense lovers like myself. I sprayed Black Cashmere all over myself prior to going out in the city, I did however have Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal sprayed lightly on my right wrist. While I enjoyed both scents, Black Cashmere unfortunately didn't last the distance, the long seven hours, drunken, in a pair of heels was too long for this fragrance to last.

I do believe that with the re-issue the scent has been watered-down, made much softer, because from what I've heard, Black Cashmere in its original formulation was heavy and cloying.

This fragrance is still delightful, don't get me wrong, however I'm a woman that loves her incense-based fragrances heavy and lasting. Black Cashmere, in my opinion, is better suited to intimate occasions, like romantic dates or cold nights lying in front of a nice, warm fire.

fpih
fpih

I was expecting something much warmer from a perfume with cashmere in its name. Unfortunately, I find this very dry and can only smell the incense along with some nutmeg in the drydown. I don't mind incensy fragrances (I love my Encens Flamboyant) but there seems something to be lacking from this one. I hoped it would grow on me, like Fumerie Turque, but after a week of wearing it everyday, I still find it just OK. Oh, and my husband hates it, but then he dislikes all incensy perfumes. The lasting power is really great though.

MDWake8
MDWake8

Talk about the opposite customer from Cashmire Mist. You know the scent is going to be heavy if the top notes are customarily used as base notes (nutmeg). This one smells very masculine. One of the strongest and borderline offensive scents Ive ever smelled. Not a fan.

adele l
adele l

I think this would be a great masculine scent- initially it is very dark and resinous then settles down to incense on my skin. Not smelling any flowers at all..not really my cup of tea.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from this perfume. Black cashmere brings to mind soft, luxurious, stylish comfort. I don't get any of that here.

Resin, wood sap and incense dominate this composition. Looking at the notes I am stunned to discover none of these are listed. It must be perfumer's alchemy because my olfactory nerves are quite insistent upon this.

Black cashmere reminds me of a dark, cold, dense woods filled with red-eyed critters hiding in the foliage and danger lurking under every log. I am all alone and lost. Everything around me is alien and threatening. I am one very unhappy camper.

The drydown I find even more depressing. After a day stumbling desperately for the light, night sets in and while the day leaks away through the canopy, so too does hope.

Black Cashmere speaks to my soul but its message is not one of love. It is about stark bewildered loneliness.

Bellatrix
Bellatrix

When I first test it - it was miracle. Dark, sexy, a bit spicy and very "confident" scent. I knew I had to have it.
Today I got decant and I couldn't wait to put it on and all I could notice is spice, spice and spice. It made me sad because I was waiting for this mysterious scent...
I do like (mild) spicy perfume, but it simply took me by suprise.
It reminded me a bit of Myrrhe Ardente, but is more wearable than MA.

I am sure during winter I will rediscovered his other, more misterious, side.

guest_iamnewdkny
guest_iamnewdkny

I think it's better than Cashmere Mist. It's not too strong not too fruity

Aalia
Aalia

Well, I liked it but I did not love it as I had expected to. I loved that the spicyness of the perfume lasted the entire time of wear-a good 4 to 6 hours-it was still spicy on my skin ! Excellent! It seemed to be only Frankinsense and Myrrh, wich is perfect for me-with a back drop of flowers-but I see there is no Frankinsense or Myhrrh listed in the notes here! What I did not love-is that it acted as a skin scent on me, with no sillge, and the scent did not change very much during wear. Ms. Karan-this is being scratched off my list of Must-Haves..oh well...

carera
carera

i love this perfume i think its unisex perfume

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

this was the fragrance being launched when I was applying for the PR job at Estee Lauder's Designer Fragrances division in London. I got the job. I took individual notes and made a live presentation as a demo to my boss. I got white pepper, wenge wood, I remember that and rose I think...and maybe ylang ylang? Very very unusual and heavy, definitely a uber wintery scent in my view cos it literally can heat you up. the bottle is a 'pebble'. The lotion is nicer I think.

I love Black Cashmere (so does my husband) and it's a standard request for birthday and Christmas. The candle is amazing and makes a great hostess gift. It smells like you've got a wonderful fire going in your fireplace and it stays in the room long after. If you love dark, mysterious, sensual, and spiritual, you will love this scent. There is nothing that comes close to it that I have found so far. I'm grateful its still available.

NatWeb
NatWeb

Really smoky and woody with touches of spice. A unique, unusual scent that would be reasonably divisive - you're going to love it or hate it. It used to be reasonably affordable but has now moved into the high end part of Donna Karan's range. I don't love it enough to stomach it full time but I'd be intruiged if I smelled it on someone else. Would work excellently as a unisex too.

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

this smells reeeally good! i smell alot of woods and cloves. Yummy sexy scent!

yvashche
yvashche

Mmmm never thought I would like Donna Karan but this perfume is wonderful!

janneta
janneta

I love it so much!!! The scent is warm and compliments my body's chemistry - I can smell it and enjoy as a cat enjoys smelling catnip... It last forever on my skin and hair... it gets better and better after long hours of wearing it - no need of re-applying it. I enjoy it so much!!! Unfortunately, it is discontinued...:( But I still buying this amazing perfume on-line... LOVE IT!!!

guest_Cleopatra's Boudoir
guest_Cleopatra's Boudoir

I love Black Cashmere. I was lucky to find a full bottle of the EDP a few years ago at an estate auction. I have never regretted buying it up for a mere $5. My husband also enjoys wearing this fragrance as it goes great with his chemistry. Each spritz smells like pure incense, smoky, rich and exotic incense and woods. Try layering a soliflore over this for an unexpected twist.

allegro_barbaro
allegro_barbaro

When I close my eyes and smell this on my skin, I am transported to an old church with real incense that burns on charcoal burners and polished wooden pews. It is deeply soothing, dark and peaceful. I wore it recently on a night out and my husband thought it smelled as though I hadn't washed!!!! oooops I can't wear it around him again. I'm assuming therefore that it is a polarizing fragrance and I am not sure when to wear it (apart from church) but I will certainly keep it for my own olfactory pleasure.

tzoutzou78
tzoutzou78

very strong ,spicy, but the dry down is more pleasant.perferct for cold winter nights,lasts forever,please dont purchase it without testing, its not an easy to wear fragarnce

Alicja
Alicja

To jeden z najpiękniejszych zapachów jakie znam. Całkiem mój;-) Kadzidlany, mistyczny i piękny. Trudno go opisać. Jest boski!

sharyssa
sharyssa

I seen the tester bottle of this for sale today for $9.95 so I sampled it and yuck it reminds me of CK secret obsession in which I detest.Second the bottle looks like a mouse for a computer so silly looking.NO SALE.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

Black cashmere makes me feel like a happy girl on a snow day. It feels like hot oatmeal with spices and milk. I wouldn't mind a little more milk added. Everything about it is warm and creamy. I wish that my apartment or home smelled like this during the fall and winter. To wear it on myself though, I need to be bundled under a thick sweater or huddled under a blanket. I agree that on the right man it would smell very good, but it is not a masculine scent at all.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I love the top! Intense, heady, spicy and rich. I think there may be too much of something (carnation? patchouli?) though, as all I smell after the opening is clove. Lots and lots of clove. This may be the incense everyone refers to. It's ok, but not perfect for me.

lilinah
lilinah

Saturday i sprayed on Agent Provocateur - this time it was very "dirty" and animalic - and i love it... and as it dried down i could smell the saffron.

So Sunday i sprayed on Black Cashmere over the remains of AP. I bought both early this year on the recommendations of other Frangrantica members when i asked about saffron scented perfumes.

Where Agent Provocateur can come on like a punch in the nose (but a really pleasurable one :-) Black Cashmere caresses its way into one's sensibilities. I've worn it before, but this time the saffron, rose, and carnation lingered long and gentle, after the hot spices, which make for an exciting beginning, simmered down. It is absolutely delicious and multi-layered.

megannsmom
megannsmom

I have been waiting and wanting to test this for a long time and finally acquired a decant the other day. I was so excited to open it and eagerly spritzed my wrist....only to be disappointed. All I can smell is oddly metallic cloves! And cloves aren't even listed in the fragrance notes!! Maybe it is the Nutmeg and the Saffron leading me to believe I am smelling cloves, but that still doesn't explain the metallic twinge I was getting. Strange, very strange indeed. I am not going to give up though, those notes sound soooo good and I am determined to give this scent another try or two. Who knows....maybe it was something I ate that messed up my regular body chemistry....perhaps garlic? (I had made alot of grilled onion/garlic and swiss cheese bread that day, and had sampled quite a bit of it, hot from the oven, LOL)

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

one of the best perfume in perfume world. very deep and distinctive scent

om
om

Thanks to all these rich reviews I discovered it for myself! To fall in love with it completely I had to try it two times. One time I tried it on cooler day and felt very strong smoky wood from the begining, which in hour changed into something warm soft -dificult to describe. I found it so strange, that decided to try it one more time and it happend on sunny and windy day - I was so suprised to like it from first wind blow.. I was looking for right words or images. For me it is combination of lether, motorbike, elegancy and confidence, maybe a bit of loneliness. Could be the most suitable perfume for Trinity and Neo from Matrix:)

Malegria
Malegria

I think I just fell in love! I got a bottle without testing and it is amazing. It`s coming on strong, like a blow of sweet prune-scented tobacco in your face, almost offensive, and you think - but it`s a man fragrance!!! - and all of a sudden you feel the magic of nutmeg and cloves and the first impression of an assault starts to change altogether.You feel yourself as a spanish dancer,Carmen with her little cigarette, maja of Madrid of the times of Goya...And just when you get adjusted to your newly found medieval feminine powers - you get incense, and smoke, and even a bit of bees wax, and you are in the dark, gloomy ancient church, a beautiful witch being judged by Inquisition and still not afraid of anything...

Kama
Kama

One of the best perfumes ever... In the biginning, few years ago it was signature scent of my best friend, I used to love them but could not wear them... This summer I was on holiday and tehy were on sale...I bought them and I fall in low in them... Love at 2nd sight:)

Great undertones of sweet resin and florals, but the dry down brings it firmly into the 1980s oriental bracket, a range of fragrances I don't like. If the beginning notes lasted longer, this might be great, but the ending smells too much of heavy oriental for me.

ScentScelf
ScentScelf

Have to agree with an early reviewer that drydown is key to this scent. The spicy/woody sharpness that opens (which I don't mind) ends up being warmed up by something not patchouli, not musk, and not really amber...my words aren't working so well right now, but the Black Cashmere is. :)

Nuppu
Nuppu

Have you ever been in a old, traditional finnish smokesauna? Smokesauna is small, separate timberhouse that is warmed up by burning logs for many hours, and there isn't any pipe for smoke go out, and befofe entering the sauna, thick smoke and carbon monoxide is ventilated fast away, and the heat remains. It's dark inside, blackened walls, strong smoke aroma lingering and make your eyes watering, and when you leave it, no matter how much you wash yourself, your skin is fragranced by this dense, dark smoke. And now i know, you can have this special aroma in a bottle!

Really different perfume.

PR
PR

it was very straight prune scent. There was prune and some cinnamon(almost undistinguished). It's very soft, CASHMERE word is right here, because the prune is almost woolly here, but still a one sided prune, and some spice, soft and warm, of course..

Can't imagine wearing it..food and drink smell for me, and very straight forward one..smelling like a dried black cashmere prune drink.. and warm
Even the bottle in the picture looks like this dried fruit,but this is from original edition I guess, the one I tested was a regular cylinder bottle

Miss_Nightingale
Miss_Nightingale

It's the intriguing mixture of saffron and carnation that push my buttons. Absolutely unique and the kind of incense perfume to try if you tend to shy away from patchouli. Even though it's discernible, the patchouli here is a gentle, dry note that acts as a conduit for the warmer, more powdery notes to follow. It's never allowed to dominate.

Black Cashmere is a beautiful, lingering fragrance that evokes the same atmosphere one finds in ancient churches - those years of incense forever infused in the timeworn wood of the pews. A hushed reverence at first, which blossoms into warm and comforting spice. Never harsh, beautifully blended and actually a very good rendition of what black cashmere would smell like, if cashmere did have a scent! Fabulously touchy-feely bottle, too, that begs to be snuggled in the palm of your hand.

Everything is right - this one deserves far more accolades that the rest of Donna Karan's perfumes. Then again, if it were more popular and widely available, perhaps it would lose some of its exclusivity, which is part of the great allure, after all.

Carla
Carla

Forego the innocent side of yourself, bring out the Diva in you and explore the world of drama with this exceptional scent. The sexiness of the spices of nutmeg and cinnamon along with carnation which exudes it's natural clove essence is superb. The intensity of the incense, which is predominant from beginning to end will entice you as well as those around you. "I'm just mad about saffron, and saffron's mad about me", so Karan's ingenious idea in adding this mellow yellow note bring forth a tinge of lightness was brilliant. If you love dark incense, if you want to be noticed (in a good way) this is a must
Black Cashmere seems to be scarce but it's around and worth the find!

imgcas
imgcas

Spicy notes? Cinnamon? Carnation?
I have had samples of this fragance for years and I love it, but I can't get any of these notes. I smell the most lovely incense which makes me think of catholic churches and procressions. I don't see it as a hot scent. To me it is cold, dry-bone, but so relaxing...

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Gloomy, dark, incense smell. Heavy, magic. For femme fatale, so, not for me.

guest_ConnecticutGal
guest_ConnecticutGal

Years ago I purchased the wrong scent, getting Donna Karan Cashmere Mist (instead of Black Cashmere) after I had asked a lady in my office 7 or 8 years ago what she was wearing. She pulled a black tube of hand lotion out by Donna Karan. I immediately went to Macy’s and asked about the Donna Karan scent, but the sales lady assured me it was Cashmere Mist I was looking for.

Well, just recently, I found the Black Cashmere lotion on Ebay and purchased it. At first whiff, it didn’t quite smell as I remember, and in fact had a sour or rancid smell. So I am thinking it must be an old tube, as Black Cashmere is discontinued now. But, after putting it on and letting it soak in for a while, it smelled wonderful, just as I remember it! Now I am thinking, how do I get this stuff? It was discontinued! After doing an internet search, and coming across the post here that Black Cashmere EDT was being re-released at Bergdorf-Goodman in NYC, I immediately went to their website and placed an order $85.00! (out of stock but supposedly getting more in). I just received the EDT and it is awesome! My husband said he liked this scent better than any other I have worn over the years! It’s a keeper, I just wonder how long Bergdorf-Goodman will carry it and if I should stock up on it.

simo
simo

Today I´m testing this fragrance for the first time and I definitly have to have it! I want to be wrapped by this warm Amber-scent all winter long!

Natalia78
Natalia78

This could be unisex perfume!Best Karan's fragrance ever.

guest_Papillon
guest_Papillon

If you to be a sexy woman,dancing all night, celebrating in New Year and need
something warming in a cold day.This fragrance will give you all of it.
Myterious,sexy,dark, hot, little Asian.
Love it!

italian girl
italian girl

I have to agree that this scent is a must for incense lovers.. Very intense incense. There is something in it that reminds me of Maja and that is the only part of the fragrance that ruins it a bit for me.

BlackAmberMoon
BlackAmberMoon

Important: wait for the drydown before deciding if you like it. It takes some time to develop and mingle with your skin. After some time has passed, the magic happens. Black Cashmere is smoky and spicy, rich and mysterious. It's not a sweet comfort scent...this smells more like spices and incense baking on hot sand. I live in New England, and BC reminds me of the autumn air here. In fact, it would be perfect to wear when you're relaxing in front of the fireplace. A must try for incense/spice lovers, it's a most unique perfume. Love the sculptural, stone-shaped bottle, too. Would also smell GREAT on a man.

2007

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan 4.19 out of 5 based on 658 ratings and 132 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Donna Karan Black Cashmere fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Donna Karan Black Cashmere, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Cashmere by Donna Karan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Cashmere by Donna Karan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.