Designers » D E » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Woman Donna Karan for women

Woman Donna Karan for women
dislike

Woman Donna Karan for women Pictures Woman Donna Karan for women Pictures Woman Donna Karan for women Pictures Woman Donna Karan for women Pictures Woman Donna Karan for women Pictures Woman Donna Karan for women Pictures

Donna Karan presents a brand new fragrance in August 2012, simply named Woman. Woman fragrance carries a positive message from the designer to women to feel good about themselves no matter what.

The designer told wwd magazine that this new perfume is as complex as the woman who will wear it. She worked with perfumer Anne Flipo to create the composition, and also collaborated with Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. and International Flavors & Fragrances. The fragrance is built around the core of sandalwood and vetiver from Haiti, including notes of orange blossom amongst others.

Bottle design for the new fragrance is harmonized with the style of Cashmere Mist perfume bottle from 1994, which was created by the designer’s late husband Stephan Weiss. The new bottle is signed by architect Zaha Hadid.

The advertising campaign is shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin with famous models Christy Turlington, Karolina Kurkvova and Liya Kebede.

The collection includes 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum, body lotion and body cleansing lotion.

Haitian Vetiver Sandalwood Orange Blossom

Woman Fragrance Reviews

Blue wolf
Blue wolf

I tried a sample of DK Woman edp without a clue as to the type of fragrance or the notes. The initial note was something I didn't like, a slap sharp of aldehyde: it disappeared quickly. The second time I tried this scent, there was no irritating top note at all: this was a brand new sample. Then comes a beautiful note of orange blossom or lily backed by an aromatic note that seems slightly citrusy, woody yet fresh. If this is the vetiver, I love it. The image that pops into my head is A Midsummer's Night Dream, with Titiania and her court of fairies. Not the giggly Disney kind of fairies, but elegant, alluring, yet mysterious and other worldly. There is no mustiness, and there's some rich fruitiness that I suspect are notes not listed in the description. I would never have tried this scent because it was described as woody and aromatic, and I don't judge fragrances as 'male' or 'female'. I want a something different and unique, and this definitely is that in a very satisfying way. The middle notes continue to expand, with some tingly sensation in my nose which I would guess is the aromatic element. The sweet floral is subdued, and a full, soft only slightly powdery aromatic stays down to the end. I absolutely enjoyed this and am seriously considering a full bottle. The only small note I miss is a little touch of a citrus or something green to add some intrigue and complexity to the final drydown. This is lovely and warm; I feel it is a welcoming, enfolding scent with good sillage and medium longevity. I have to qualify this by stating my skin absorbs fragrance very quickly and longevity is always a problem except with the 80's type sillage monsters. If you have normal skin, this scent should have very good sillage and longevity.

JaiTee
JaiTee

A sweet, fresh scent. Delicious berryish element, but also, it makes me think of doing the dishes. The drydown is earthy, and then on my skin, things take a sudden wrong turn.
I find myself in Deep Woods country (the insect repellant), and then the slap in the face--everything ends with ammonia. What a crazy trip; I'm definitely not cut out for DK Woman.

Susan_b
Susan_b

When I first sprayed the fragrance I thought smells like a man. I was intrigued. Then the scent evolved to more than a manly scent. It became a Spicey, musky scent with a feminine touch. I purchased 2 bottles a 50 ml for $30.00 and 100ml gift set for $40.00 from a wharehouse sale.

I think after years of searching and 100's of bottles I've find my signature scent.

Update: I have literally been finding an excuse to spray this perfume. The scent lingers nicely on scarfs. Did I mention that the bottle is a work of art?

cockapoo9237
cockapoo9237

I tried this and I LOVE it....plan on purchasing this pronto. I keep wanting to smell the coat I had on when I tried this. Can't decide between 50ml or 100ml. I had been looking for something "different" along the lines of oriental/incense with a touch of sweetness. It smells like Japanese incense on me and it lasted about 5-6 hours on my skin.

Enigma7510
Enigma7510

I love Black Cashmere by Donna Karan for winter, but have been looking for something softer to replace my favorite spring/summer fragrance Jaipur by Boucheron (also discontinued--sigh).

A lovely Indian woman at the perfume counter suggested I try Woman by Donna Karan, as I like very distinctive, unusual scents. Woman is not as heavy as Black Cashmere, nor is it as powdery as Jaipur, yet I love it's softness and originality.

At first spray I get a strong note of Cedar, although it is not in the formulation? The drydown is beautiful, and like my other two favorite perfumes--smells like no other perfume out there. Just wish it lasted longer than a few hours. This is a new favorite for an extremely selective Fragranista, and I think it will be a lovely summer scent for me.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Just stunning...
Got this in a pack of samples from Macy's when I ordered a new bottle of Opium. This isn't something I would normally go ot of my way to test, never mind buy, but...
Donna Karan Woman is unlike anything I have, have had or have tried, although to be honest I am not an aficianado of modern fragrances. One word-Addictive!!.

Very modern compsition in the use of typically masculine ingredients. I feel sad that the idea of women's fragrance is so limited today. Flowers, fruits and sugar.

Reading some of the reviews below really sends that message home, sadly. I think if you think you feel you can wear only so called "femme" frags, you miss out on some individualistic, and yes, very sexy scents that could be just right for you.

I say this because although I love florals,the forest, meadow and green woody scents of my chilhood feel close to my heart.

I love how Woman's fragrance builds as it unfurls.The strength of character makes this sweet/tart beauty not typical. This is no soft aquatic!

The choice of ingredients might be traditionally masculine, however this fragrance is not rough or bracing in the least.

The vetiver,citrus and sandlewood mesh very
smoothly. Interestingly, the composition is sweet throughout, with an underlying spicy-tartness that develops more character longer it is on the skin.

I love how I have applied only one spritz of this, and wow! This baby's strong!! And to discover that this scent behaves the way I want a fragrance to- it amplifies as it reveals its characteristic "fingerprint" on the skin.

Spice is nice, and I just love green scents. Sweet and green is a first for me, and I'm loving it!!!I have been wanting to find one that my husband likes, and the sweetness might make this it for me.

thazinha30
thazinha30

Got myself a sample and was so curious about this scent that as soon as I got it I sprayed on a paper card to see how it smelled (I had some other perfume on and didn't want to spray this over the other one) and I liked it... a lot. Until the next day when I sprayed it on my skin. Four words: nothing woman-ly about this. Didn't like the smell at all and wouldn't purchase a bottle.

Update: sorry Donna Karan Woman for the previous negative comment. After trying this again for a full day I have to say I actually like it. What a strange, curious and gorgeous scent. I cant really explain what it is but this is so different ftom anything in my collection and it grew on me. First time I tried it I put this on before going to bed so I never gave it a chance to develop but today I sprayed it on my skin at 9 am and it just kept getting better and better. I like unique, non standard scents and this is no diffrent. Definitely not your average girlish, fruity flowery scent but rather mysterious, grown up, maybe a bit masculine and yet beautiful. Gotta have some "balls" to pull this one off!!!

Update: still have some samples left and wore this today again (6/27), a warm but breezy day in NY. Oh boy, this is just wonderful, the more i wear it the more i like it. Definitely not your average joe but the woman next door. I might get a full bottle once i run out of my samples. Will probably work well in the fall as well.

By the way, very long lasting with a medium sillage.

CDGfan
CDGfan

For something called Woman, it sure smells a lot like a men's cologne. The orange blossom does soften it, but honestly this is much more suited for a man. The combination of sandalwood and vetiver give it an after shave feel. It is well made though.

Irideika
Irideika

Well this little number is quite the paradox, isn't it? It's simply called "Woman" and yet, it's the most masculine-smelling perfume made for women I have smelled since the original Opium. That being said though, I find Woman is much more pleasant than Opium in that it does have a tinge of orange blossom in the undertone. This one is not for me, but if you are looking for a nice bold and complex perfume that will be different from what we usually smell in women's fragrances, this one is for you!

pepe7111
pepe7111

i havent tried it yet but definitely will.
is it really smell like more unisex ? at least according most of the bloggers...great news .

the design is more than worth watching.
artsy:)

What a surprise. The concept of "woman" has been linked for so long with flowers and and candy and Chanel no 5 (though not all at the same time!), that I simply assumed that DKNY WOMAN was going to be some sort of quintessentially feminine perfume. No, not at all. Far from it, in fact!

To my nose, WOMAN is completely androgynous. I won't say that it's masculine, but it's certainly not feminine. Primarily the scent is that of wood--or its aromachemical surrogates. To be honest, upon application this fragrance elicited memories in my mind of all sorts of recent mainstream launches which feature a very strong base apparently drawn from the same vat as Le Labo ANOTHER 13. I don't like that base, so unsurprisingly, WOMAN does not appeal very much to me. For those who enjoy that base, well, here you go, another ANOTHER 13 can now be had at your local department store!

The big mystery to my mind is: why call this WOMAN? Seems like a bad marketing tack, given the nature of this woody, unfeminine, postmodern perfume.

LMHuggins
LMHuggins

The fragrance reminds me of Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps - Donna Karan Woman seems to have a "spicy" note to it as does Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps; however, that is, when mixed with my body chemistry

danimcneil
danimcneil

Holy WOOOOWZERS is this smokey! When I first spray this on, it literally smells like im sitting by a camp fire. But for some reason, in this case, it's not negative. I dont think I will buy a whole bottle, but the mystery in DK Woman is very intriguing. I would say the "camp fire" smell does die down a bit to a more incense like feel..but i never really sense any floral notes. If you want to stand out, be different, mysterious...or very outdoorsy and rugged..this is for u!

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

i think it would be a very strong frag. but i tried today. very very slight...100ml bottle looks HUGE!

lisa.b.radovanovic
lisa.b.radovanovic

I have this perfum and I love it!!! I like more dark/musky/woody fragrances. I also love moonight path from Bath and Body works.

I don't smell any orange blossom, or green or white floral!!! I smell vetiver and sandalwood, and that is what I smell basically from start to finish.

I asked the sales lady if this was a mans cologne when I smelled it right from the bottle before I sprayed it on a tester or myself.

Because it does not smell like the prada candy/ le vie est belle, burberry body, sweet smells I bought a big bottle of it. I did notice a friend of mine and her daughter who have allergies sneezing when I wore it... hmm. I may have put too much on??

Love it.

Maja2812
Maja2812

Fans of earthy, woody, incense-like fragrances better get this one whilst you can!! I loooooove this perfume and was excited to have tested a perfume that didn't smell like a teenager, candy, a flower shop, or any other stereotypical ultra-femme perfume so ubiquitous in department stores, on female co-workers, and whiffed on public transportation. This is for the woman who DOES NOT LIKE these things and is as complex as her fragrance choices. I must admit it does remind me of the "Raid" fly spray my mother used to fumigate the house with, but once it dries down it's olfactory heaven for me! I am a big aficionada of sandalwoods, vetiver, musks, and anything resinous. It isn't often and not many women's fragrance will have sandalwood and vetiver as dominant notes. I don't detect the orange blossoms outright, but I will guess it is the subtle sweetness which radiates (slightly!) after 3 hours, softening the bold sandalwood and vetiver. I always have to resort to blending essential oils to create my own perfumes. I couldn't stop smelling my wrists and the inside of my shirt hours after applying it at the counter. Donna Karan Woman is a very unique, complicated, and intoxicating fragrance, indeed!

I will be sure to rack up on this one...as prissy misses (e.g., the flowery, sweet perfume crowd) will cause this one to be discontinued with their endless whining and complaints.

katrin1128
katrin1128

I'm not generally a DK fan and would have passed this one up had not the persistent DK rep keep pushing it on me. You know how they are; the scent is like nothing else and the vetiver is so exclusive, she said. To my surprise, I loved it. The sandalwood smelled spicy on my skin and blended well with the vetiver and orange blossom. It not being too flowery or strong, I think it would be a great, clean smelling scent to wear to work. The rep also said the bottle was made to represent the curve of a woman's back. Try as I might, I don't see that one. At all. For gosh sakes, it does kind of look like some kind of swiffer handle. She also said that the bottle of Cashmere Mist represented the curve of a woman's neck; maybe I can picture that one a little better. Lasting power was very good - about 6 hours. Sillage is moderate, and I get compliments when worn.

mmiched
mmiched

I am happy with the scent as I have been with all of DK's perfumes. It does smell kind of manly in a way but I do keep wanted to smell it on my wrist. I like it alot. And the bottle I think is an awesome design very modern and it will look cool among my other bottles.

aliabooboo
aliabooboo

I didn't see an iron. It looked elegant and enticing enough to get a sample though. I actually liked it because I had been looking for an incense-like fragrance for women for some time. It didn't seem masculine at all. Most men's perfumes tend to assault the nose with the sandal wood and citrus notes and something else which makes them so obnoxious (referring to the perfume not the man). But alas this is no Dreaming in Portofino- I would not wear it to work even though it is more gender neutral a scent, and the notes are much less complex and interesting, which can also be said of the nostalgic associations I get from it... for example, churches, cathedrals, other places of worship, pilgrimages, etc.

Edit:

I don't know what orange blossom smells like, unfortunately (?), the top note at the skin smells to me like watermelon candy - but subdued. It's excellent. I think it might be my new signature fragrance... except that it doesn't have the lasting power of Armani Code, sillage of Aquolina. (Good thing?)

victoria207
victoria207

Initially this one smells like bug spray, can somebody say 'RAID'!!!!!

ekoeko
ekoeko

Yes, it DOES look like an iron :D Sad thing about it that there's nothing unique in the scent, and I think we can expect "Woman Floral", "Woman Sensuelle" or any other to be released soon, like it is with "Delicious"... It's so easy for them to launch a "New" when all you have to do is change a color of a bottle and few chemicals in the liquid.

Cams
Cams

Just went to Sephora for a sniff - not bad. Didn't find it that complex, but I'm all for empowering women. Great motivation for a scent, stunning bottle and acceptable fragrance which wears close to the skin. Worth trying.

skysongz
skysongz

Tried this at Nordstrom's today. Smelled a little too heavy on the sandalwood on paper, but the vetiver really comes out on my skin. There's a slight smoky edge to it that actually comes across as masculine - though I love unisex scents. Just not what I expected from the name. Wouldn't buy it but it's interesting.

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

I don't like this perfume. I normally love woodsy, balmy scents, but this needs tweaked. I get a lot of citrus in the opening, and then a mix of chemicals. If this is supposed to represent "woman", it is the kind of woman I don't like. Kind of harsh, strident, needy, nothing soft, warm or sexy about this one. No go.

nush imogen
nush imogen

This is like floral soap with some incense in it, there is something "old" about too, not sure what. I can absolutely see how someone else might like this, i'm just not into woody scents at all .. I LOVE the bottle though, but that's not enough to make me go get a big one.

NoseySpice
NoseySpice

I went to Nordstrom's to sniff this one out. One spray and this pungent note immediatley assailed my senses. Was it the sandalwood? I love sandalwood, but for some reason, I had a really hard time loving this one,even after it dried down.There is a really strong note in fragrances like this that just dominates..I wish my nose were more sophisticated so I could name it.I have worn the orginal Donna Karan (loved it), Chaos (loved) and Tom Ford's Black Violet (heavy stuff)AND Black Cashmere (ok), so I love the spicy, darker scents, but Woman clung to me tighter than a codependent ex-boyfriend. Have to give it a thumbs down.

beth54

Update to my previous comments: Although this is a lovely fragrance, I will not be purchasing. It lasted about 2 hours on me and I made the mistake of spraying it in the same room as my husband. He got up and left the room, commenting on that "acrid" smell. Well, I can't very well purchase a fragrance that clears the room. Personally-I still like it, despite what his opinion is, but I just can't buy everything, and I did get a splitting headache the afternoon I used it. Whether or not the perfume gave me the headache-I can't say for sure. But there are too many negatives for me to purchase. Too bad, the bottle would have really looked good with my collection! But it is worth a try, perhaps others will have better luck with it than I did!

beth54

After an intense shopping trip to Nordstrom's yesterday, I came home with a bottle of Chanel Coco Noir which I had pre-ordered and a large sample of this-Donna Karan Woman. The Noir disappeared after about 5 hours and I couldn't wait to try this out for a test spin. I think it's lovely! Unfortunately, the Noir gave me a splitting headache, so testing it wasn't fun. But this fragrance is much softer IMO and I love the bottle. The comparison of the bottle to a Swiffer mop handle brought a chuckle-but I find it beautiful-almost like a modern sculpture. I don't care for Cashmere Mist, so I was reluctant to purchase a bottle until I had tested this at least twice. We'll see how it develops as the evening progresses. It's so much fun to come home with samples and "play" with them. First I spritz and let it dry for a bit-sniffing every five minutes or so checking out the different notes and after a few hours-I do my research on this great site and see what other fragranistas are saying. My olfactories have aged, so I don't detect the different notes as easily as I once did, so I'm sometimes very surprised to read the descriptions of the fragrances I'm testing. It's all great fun-part of the joy of fragrance. I didn't have the luxury of doing this when I was raising my three boys-there was always something else going on and I seemed to be constantly washing my hands. But now, in retirement, I'm able to lay around and sniff! Such luxury! I also do not find a chemical edge to this scent. Very nice, very nice indeed! Certainly worth a trip for a sample. Will I purchase a bottle? It depends on longevity and dry-down. So far I love it. We shall see.

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

Mmmmmmm. THIS, along with Coco Noir, were my favorites if the night. This one smells of a dash if bergamot swirled around woods and hints if more citrus. The bottle is really nice in person. It smelled like SOMETHING that I can't seem to wrap my head around but I do want a bottle. I'll test it a bit more before I purchase it :)

dannysmom
dannysmom

The notes state orange blossom, but I get tangerine. The beginning is very sharp/almost synthetic smelling, and very tangeriney. It then becomes smoother; and I detect some sandalwood, vetiver, and vanilla. Still lots of citrus, though. If you've smelled Bond #9 I love NY for mothers, this one reminds me of that. It's not for me, but some may like it.

jonr951
jonr951

It's on Nordstrom.com and in store already! I must go and see this weekend! : )

leeyah87
leeyah87

Anyone else think it's funny that this perfume is called "Woman" and the bottle resembles an iron or the handle of a Swiffer mop? Hmmm...

Woman by Donna Karan 3.80 out of 5 based on 97 ratings and 32 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Donna Karan Woman fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Donna Karan Woman, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Woman by Donna Karan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Woman by Donna Karan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.