Designers » D E » Aromatic « Groups

EIGHT & BOB EIGHT & BOB for men

EIGHT & BOB EIGHT & BOB for men
dislike

EIGHT & BOB EIGHT & BOB for men Pictures

Albert Fouquet, the son of a Parisian aristocrat, was part of the elite French society of the early twentieth century and a perfume connoisseur. Fouquet created and perfected various essences for his own personal use aided by Philippe, the family butler. Fouquet continually rejected proposals to market his fragrance.

One night during his summer vacation in 1937 on the French Riviera (Cote d’Azur), Albert got on very well with a young American student who was touring France in a convertible: John F. Kennedy. Kennedy’s charm and congeniality persuaded Albert to leave him a sample of his cologne. On returning from his vacation, Albert received a letter from Kennedy in the U.S. thanking him for the kind gesture and informing him of the success his perfume was enjoying among his friends. He requested that Albert send him eight samples, “and if your production allows, another one for Bob.”

Without fully understanding the request, Albert decided to send a box with enough extra samples to offset the transport costs. He didn’t fill the order until Philippe finally found some beautiful glass jars in a Parisian pharmacy. Albert considered them suitable for his cologne and labeled them with John's amusing request: "EIGHT & BOB."

Albert couldn't believe it a few months later when he began receiving letters from the U.S. with requests from various Hollywood directors, producers and actors such as Cary Grant and James Stewart. Everyone wanted the "EIGHT & BOB" cologne they had apparently discovered through Joseph Kennedy, John's father.

In the spring of 1939, Albert died in an automobile accident near Biarritz (France). Philippe, the only person who could handle the orders, would only continue with that work for a few months longer, since the start of World War II forced him to leave his job with the Fouquet family. In the last shipments he sent, Philippe hid the bottles inside books that he carefully cut by hand to prevent the Nazis from seizing the perfume.

Decades later, thanks to the family of Philippe the butler, the formula for EIGHT & BOB has been completely recovered, along with its refined production process.

The main note of EIGHT & BOB is a closely-held secret. The fragrance is based on a rare aromatic plant from Chile. In January 1934 Albert Fouquet traveled to Chile and returned to Paris with several sprigs of a plant he called "Andrea." Andrea is a wild plant in short supply due to the altitude and the limited area where it grows; it can only be picked during the months of December and January. The total plants gathered undergo a very exacting selection process of which only 7% are chosen. This process ends between March and April and it is only then that one knows the how many units of EIGHT & BOB can be bottled. EIGHT & BOB was launched in 2012.

Ginger Cardamom Lemon Bergamot

Cedar Hazelnut Labdanum Guaiac Wood

Patchouli Sandalwood Ambergris Vanilla

EIGHT & BOB Fragrance Reviews

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

First Impressions: To my nose, Eight & Bob is like a hybrid of two fragrances - it's like a cross between Reflection Man by Amouage and one of the Byredo scents I sampled recently.

It opens with a floral intro reminiscent of Reflection Man, then settles into the smell I recall from a Byredo fragrance - from memory I think it's either Mister Marvelous or Sunday Cologne?

The whole backstory about the scent's illustrious history reads like a well-scripted marketing ploy. Or maybe it's all true? Anyhow, the packaging with the book cut-out presentation is stunning.

More importantly, as for the fragrance itself, it's very good. I'm wearing a sample as I write this, so I'm keen to see how it performs. If the longevity is decent, this could easily make it onto my wish list.

drakecito
drakecito

@MysteryBuff

I'm totally agree with you.
Nothing more :)

MysteryBuff
MysteryBuff

I caught a whiff from a display sample and really thought it was nothing special and fairly generic.

If the "Andrea" plant is supposed to be the "heart and soul" of the fragrance and the reason it is so rare, why is it not listed in the fragrance notes? The Eight + Bob website list the notes as follows:

Head: Ginger, cardamom, lemon, and bergamot.

Heart: Cedar wood, nuts, essencia cistus, and
guaiacum wood.

Base: Patchouli, sandal, ambergris, and vanilla.

The Eight + Bob website says the dominate notes are bergamot, guaiacum wood and sandalwood.

So where's "Andrea"? I guess you need a good memory when you start making up stories to keep them consistent.

As for Creed's tall tales, yes, the company has been around since 1760, but they were tailors all those years, not perfumers. There is no evidence Creed made fragrances before 1975.

robg303
robg303

First off, let me begin by saying that I'm not one for arguing online and in forums and such. But, I really don't understand the bashing of this fragrance and it's backstory. Also, the ingredients that some have cited don't seem to match what I smell.

Ok, yes, I had the chance to compare it to Farenheit 32 today and while similar, there is a big quality difference and it unfolds much differently as well.

It's intoxicatingly aromatic, a little green and soapy with a light underpinning of woods and spice. Similar in effect to Creed's Original Vetiver.

(btw, there's pleanty of evidence that Creed has been around since the 1700's)

I'm not a nose, to be sure, but I swear I smell iris and maybe violets, or some such purpley florals, as well as exotic woods, like maybe: redwood, gaiac or mahagony?

But one thing is for sure, the inclusion of that Andrea plant accord, really sets this appart and is something I've not smelled in another fragrance before. It's so unique and gives this scent it's own character.

Regardless of the colorful backstory, it's a well crafted scent and I really, really, like it.
So, even if you have or had Farenheit 32, get a sample of this!

Plucus21

Save your money and get Fahrenheit 32. They are nearly identical. I have tried both side by side and couldn't really tell the difference.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

The following review is really for my notes only, its very brief and leaves out a ton of details. Im just typing something that I remember each by. Im sure I will disrespect someones favorite fragrance too.

I almost loved this one. Very minty toothpaste freshness. Very good longevity and sillage. Need a decant.

nicholas087
nicholas087

Despite the sleek packaging and fantastical backstory, the similarity to Dior's Fahrenheit 32 as many have pointed out before are too strong to ignore.

Nevertheless, E&B is a well blended, clean, fresh, get-up-and-go everyday scent which will unlikely offend anyone. Good longevity and sillage.

Would consider if I loved F32.

gallian
gallian

The perfumery if they do not tell lies, they can not survive... THE niche is where the focus lies, think about how many bullshit told Creed that has begun to make perfumes only in 1975! No Creed perfumes made before Olivier, but the bullshit are also here with this bad cologne, very sad and cheap, no Kennedy---
this is fraud to trade!
Zero is my rating.

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

No way to know whether the genesis story of this fragrance is true, though you would think the Kennedy estate might object to JFK's name being used for promo purposes if it were untrue. But enough on that - it's a fragrance after all.

This is actually a really nice, balanced fresh fragrance. It's not overly aquatic or overly vanillic. It's not as distinctive as many niche offerings, but it does strike me as a great signature scent. All things equal, a great choice for spring. Bonus - great longevity. It doesn't have massive projection, but perhaps the longest lasting EDT I've tested in a long time - 12+ hours.

TheLumineri

I went on a 9 hour road trip with my fiance recently. It was the peak of winter in NYC and I sprayed in the morning right before the trip. We'd arrived to our destination 9 hours later, got ourselves situated, socialized, etc. Right before bed that evening, she hugs me and says "you smell good". I didn't reapply nor did I spray anything else. Eight & Bob travelled with me in the winter and managed to stick around for +/- 12 hours. I think that's pretty amazing for what's categorized as a "Spring scent". This may very well be an all-year/signature scent afterall!

As for the comparisons to Fahrenheit 32: There are PLENTY of fragrances that smell alike (Ambre Narguile/Dolcelisir; Aventus/Fresco; Green Irish Tweed/Cool Water/Floris JF; 1 Million/EVERYTHING; etc.), however every fragrance is its own creation with its own aura. I cannot confirm nor deny the claim of this being similar to F32, but I CAN form an individual opinion to my fragrances rather than simply tossing it under the very dismissive "smells like" category.

Whether the story is true or not is really irrelevant, to be honest. If you like the fragrance, then ENJOY THE FRAGRANCE!

Deefit
Deefit

I'm with Plucus21 on the similarity to Fahrenheit 32. Which to me seems more reasonably priced than this.

jht4060
jht4060

Perhaps there is some tiny grain of truth in this back story, but this perfume reeks of gimmick, including the "closely guarded secret ingredient". When I Google Albert Fouquet all I can find is the media saturation for the perfume release and Wikipedia has no page for the name. The "history" on the company web page contains not a single scrap of supporting information such as a proper biography or newspaper articles. The backstory reads like a Who's Who of name and place dropping: it involves JFK and Joseph Kennedy, Cary Grant, James Stewart, the mysterious French aristocrat and his faithful butler, and Nazis. As for places, they include the Riviera, Biarritz, and Hollywood. It is nice fiction and abhorrently cynical marketing.

You should care about whether the story is true or not, because truth matters and this sort of marketing is a carefully thought out lie with its only objective being to increase sales. If you don't see anything wrong with this, you have been steeped in the marketing culture too long.

brightstar
brightstar

Very classy and elegant scent for a man. It's fresh and aromatic. The packaging is beautiful but maybe it's overpriced. If I had smelled this on someone I would say this is a very common fragrance but it surely smells nice.

Plucus21

Don't waste your money. Buy Dior Fahrenheit 32 as it smells the same as this for 1/4 the price. It does smell nice, but it is no where near worth the asking price. As for the story, who know if it is true, but I do know that excellent marketing can make people buy just about anything so you should keep that mind.

hogan00
hogan00

smelled this for the first time today. wow. i'm totally stunned. by far one of the most classy and elegant scents i have come across.

if it wasn't so expensive, i would have purchased it.

so, if your wallet can handle it, i would highly recommend eight and bob.

5/5 stars. two thumbs up.

midos
midos

Top: Ginger, Cardamom, Lemon, Bergamot
Hart: Cedarwood, Hazelnut, Labdanum (Rockrose), Lignum Vitae
Base: Patchouly, Sandalwood, Ambergris, Vanilla

It also has the rare "Andrea" plant extract from the Andes Mountains.

christianne1
christianne1

Oh my....um, well.....oh dear....where do I begin? I will just cut to the chase....this, my friends, is what is called a gimmick. This is all marketing and nothing else and unless they produce an old bottle of "Eight & Bob" that I can sniff myself , I do not believe a word of this fabulous story. Seems awfully handy that all of the players who can confirm they wore this scent are dead.

Eight & Bob smells nice. The problem is that it smells exactly like countless others that you can get for $35 bucks. And they have the audacity to charge $195 for it. This is hardly a retro scent like you imagine Cary Grant would have been wearing. It smells like something every guy I dated wore in the 90s. They smelled great.....the scent is not the problem. It is that there are countless other options out there that smell almost just like this for 1/5th of the price. If someone is gonna lay down $200 for a fragrance, I just cant imagine choosing this over, say, something from Frederic Malle, Tom Ford Private Blend, L'Artisan or Serge Lutens.

I realize scent is a personal choice and my opinion is not worth a grain of salt to those who may find this to be the bombdiggity. It smells nice.... but I will be honest, if I smelled this on someone I would just assume it was a TJ Maxx special. It just smells like something I have smelled to death a thousand times.....then backed up and ran back over it again....twice.
Been there, done that, cremated it.

frances.andrea
frances.andrea

Andrea plant is rica rica?

sparris
sparris

Peculiar. In a good way. Not sure it's for me though. Some days I get only the part that smells like a 90's aquatic, and only occasionally something more.

People mention the vanilla, and that's what makes me a little hesitant.

edit: Drydown is indeed far too vanilla-laden for my personal taste.

BevSN
BevSN

I really liked this fragrance, but I won't lie, after the initial spray I was not too pleased with it. The dry down though, is one of the most unique scents I've ever smelled. This ends up being one of my favorites after the first 30 minutes, a truly high quality dry down that any fragrance enthusiast needs to get their nose on!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I keep smelling this to try to figure out the love for it. To me it smells utterly BLAH. Not really woody, not really spicy, not really citrus - there are no notes here I like. It's a smell. That's about the best I can say for it.

TheLumineri

Just received this one in the mail and first thing I must say is that the presentation/packageing of this fragrance has got to be one of the MOST CREATIVE AND AWESOME EVER! It's IN A BOOK FOR FRAGRANCE-GOD'S SAKE!! With that being said, I've yet to test it since I have no available points to spray at the moment, but I will follow up with a proper review soon!

Eos
Eos

Shockingly, to my nose this smells a LOT like Eau Claire des Merveilles by Hermes. A very nice woody vanilla with aquatic, pepper, citrus and powdery notes. Completely unisex.

leeyah87
leeyah87

Eight & Bob smells very similar to Le Labo Vanille 44. Both scents have a very chemical-like air to them - much like soda carbonation. On me, Eight & Bob is a mixture of this sparkling, icy "effervescent air" mixed with vanilla and a touch of woods, which is basically what Vanille 44 smells like on me.

cdaleb73110
cdaleb73110

This is amazing, bright, elite, elegant and very long lasting. OUTSTANDING!!

Top: Ginger, cardamom, lemon, and bergamot.
Heart: Cedar wood, nuts, essencia cistus, and guaiacum wood.
Base: Patchouli, sandal, ambergris, and vanilla.

It also has the rare "Andrea" plant extract from the Andes Mountains.

donnie.wheeler
donnie.wheeler

I love it! Received this for Christmas. I had no idea what it would smell like but the history of this fragrance alone made me want it. I wasn't disappointed! In fact it exceeded my expectations. It begins with leather and frankincense and myrrh. It dries to vanilla and silver ice. There is, however, a note that dances between the top, middle, and bottom that changes as it progresses. I suspect that is Andrea the article spoke of. I'm very very happy with it!

cwerge
cwerge

This is an amazing Juice. It's projects and last for about 12 hours in my skin.
This could easily be worn by women and could also be a signature scent. The story behind it is really nice weather is true of not its a very cool history for a perfume. The presentation is one of the best I have seen. Definitely a try!

Grottola
Grottola

I smelled this one at Neiman Marcus today. While there are no notes listed, from what I could smell, it was a very Guerlain-esque woody/vanilla smell. I'll have to revisit it, but I definitely picked up a lot of vanilla in EIGHT & BOB.

EIGHT & BOB by EIGHT & BOB 3.83 out of 5 based on 77 ratings and 28 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about EIGHT & BOB EIGHT & BOB fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about EIGHT & BOB EIGHT & BOB, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify EIGHT & BOB by EIGHT & BOB. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of EIGHT & BOB by EIGHT & BOB represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.