Designers » D E » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Arden Men Sandalwood Elizabeth Arden for men

Arden Men Sandalwood Elizabeth Arden for men
dislike

Arden Men Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. Arden Men Sandalwood was launched in 1956. Top notes are lavender, clary sage, petitgrain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are sandalwood, patchouli, basil, vetiver, cedar and geranium; base notes are labdanum, tonka bean, amber, opoponax, musk and oakmoss.

Lavender Clary Sage Petitgrain Bergamot Lemon

Sandalwood Patchouli Basil Vetiver Cedar Geranium

Labdanum Tonka Bean Amber Opoponax Musk Oakmoss

Arden Men Sandalwood Fragrance Reviews

KJS88
KJS88

A dry, woody, herbaceous fougere of a kind that has not been made, let alone popular, for quite a long time. Since before I was born, at least. This does smell sandalwood-y, in point of fact, more sandalwood-y than most ostensible sandalwood fragrances smell. But you simply can't ignore that pungent lavander, clary sage, petit-grain, basil opening. Both bracing and old-timey. Once you get past that opening, you get a dry, aromatic sandalwood operating at a low hum for the rest of the day. Great pick me up for the $20 AUD it cost me.

When you want an American style 1960s barbershop fix, you can't beat this. And the added bonus is that it has none of the fragrance connotations that most "barbershop" fragrances do. None of the powder, none of synthetic musk.

I acquired a very old bottle that was never used. Fortunately, there is no strong fougere element in this one, and I'd say it is somewhere between EdC and EdT in terms of strength. The fleeting top notes aren't very strong, and what's interesting is that it takes on a slightly mentholated quality, which is not suggested by the listed notes (perhaps this is what is meant by "patchouli," because otherwise I don't get any here). In a sense, it reminds me of a slightly weaker but more natural-smelling AoS Sandalwood (I tried that one about 4 years ago). The sandalwood note is very good but not the dominant player, though it is one of the main players. I'd like to compare it to the latest formulation, considering the reviews that do, but I'm not going to buy a bottle of it just for that purpose. I've tried quite a few sandalwood scents now, and I'd rank this one near the top. However, I'll probably reach for Vintage Tabarome more often than this one, though that one is not as focused on sandalwood as this one is. If you like sandalwood and see an old bottle of this one selling at a reasonable price, I doubt you will be dissatisfied with a "blind buy."

UPDATE: The camphorous quality is clear as this develops so I have little doubt that is the patchouli used, the point being that if you don't like vintage Givenchy Gentleman, for example, this might also be problematic for you, though it's certainly much stronger in GG than here.

agonista
agonista

The real bomb of lavender, clary sage and cedar at the beginning, increasing smell of oriental sandalwood little bit later and enveloping scent of opoponax and labdanum at the end...So that is , how in short I can introduce this wonderful cologne. Although the product was made in 1956, completely resisted the passage of time - is universal and timeless. It is the smell of a real man - well-groomed, intelligent, mysterious, who enjoys adventure.What can I say more...?..well..it's obligatory item for all perfume- lovers :-)

Augustarina
Augustarina

When I was 15, a girlfriend and I went into a department store to look for this cologne, because we had the hots for one of our teachers and as he fought us off, it was somehow revealed that he was wearing this. We were pretty giddy with excitement and while we were "testing" the fragrance, a LOT of it spilled into my handbag. The smell stayed there for years, long after the memories of the hot teacher. I loved it. I have never found a sandalwood aroma that even came close to that, some 40 years later. I don't know what vetiver smells like, but maybe that's what made the drydown so dark and yet pronounced. Dark and sharp, does that make sense?

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Arguably the best sandalwood fougere for men, period. Lavender, bergamot, petitgrain, clary sage comprise the top notes, a fresh-spicy burst of citric goodness that lasts all of five minutes before segueing into an opoponax-sweetened coumarin accord, spiced with basil and rounded off with a little labdanum - good on Fragrantica for citing that note in their pyramid! I must have an older bottle because I've read the newer version is lighter on the sandalwood, and that it doesn't show up until a couple hours into the drydown. But reviews of the older version have people commenting on Arden Sandalwood being ALL sandalwood, from the heart to the far-drydown base note. That's what I get. As Shamu points out, this isn't the sweet-creamy type of sandalwood, but a drier sandalwood (although it does have a little natural sweetness to it). There's a nice smoky vetiver note fleshing it out to the end. Guys, they're using real sandalwood oil in this one. Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

this fragrance is aromatherapy more than perfume/cologne

i've kept three essential oils in my home pretty much all the time for the last 6 years
lavender, sandalwood, and tea tree

this smells like lavender, which i only use for acne and do not enjoy especially
this is not sandalwood so much

there's a hint of it in there, but it's heavy on lavender
luckily, it's not the piercing medicinal kind i would associate with a type A elderly nurse
but it's not sandalwood

still, it's grown on me and i'm glad i have it as it layers well with musk
it's simple enough to temper sickly sweet things and soft in its herbish ways and means

most people would find it pleasing, as do i

shamus1
shamus1

Arden Men Sandalwood smells a lot less complex than the list of notes suggests. In fact, I hardly smell any of the notes listed. I smell lavender and sage in the opening and heart accords, and sandalwood in the drydown.

And that's about it, not that simplicity is a bad thing. In this case, it's a good quality because any more complexity, and you wouldn't be able to call this a sandalwood fragrance. As others have said, this is a VERY old school fragrance - dry, powdery and sharp lavender blended with dry sandalwood is what we have here, and it very much has a barbershop/talcum powder feel it it. There ain't nothing hip or fashionable about Arden For Men.

A lot of people talk about a lack of sandalwood in this scent, but I can certainly smell it. It's tough to detect until you get about an hour into the scent, when the drydown begins. By then, it's almost all sandalwood. It's drier than most santals, with less sweetness and creaminess than most sandalwoods have. It is, however, a very smooth sandalwood, and it's that quality that reveals itself as sandalwood, as opposed to another kind of aromatic wood.

A real classic, and mandatory for any fan of old-school masculine colognes.

MY RATING: 8/10

Jazzy76
Jazzy76

It was my father's perfume <3

calyx93
calyx93

Smells rather like Neutrogena soap or their Rainbath original scent shower gel. Lavender, other herbs, patchouli and sandalwood + a good dose of oakmoss. I think it's nice - dated, but nice. Clean too.

instantjim
instantjim

I bought this blind out of curiosity. It was cheap and I thought why not? As others have noted the opening is quite strong: it is unlike any other opening of any other fragrance I own. It starts very herbal, which I assume is clary sage. After that initial burst it settles doen to be a gentle aromatic woody fragrance, that to me seems a lot more simple in composition that the notes listed above seem to indicate.

It has a very clean smell when it has dries down, which is a bit musky, a bit woody, but which has not too much of any one note. It's a very comfortable, non-offensive fragrance.

Indro
Indro

Got this gem recently,the drydown is pretty good,otherwise the initial blast was way too strong,a good balance of herbal & sandalwood,would be a nice cologne for summer evenings here in Mumbai.
Cheers

Castor
Castor

Beautiful sandalwood in its classic approach, A pity it has been dioscontinued. Get it while you can, if you are into classical styled fragrances.

Malegria
Malegria

I am with Flannelman - the first impression is a strong, eye-twitching smell of Indian sandal soap!I love sandalwood, but the first notes were way too much. Luckily, I waited a while and it became a very fresh, soft, clean scent.Though it is not very original, it has something very innocent about it - if you will take patience to wait until the base.

flannelman
flannelman

A *very* sharp opening of lavender and clary sage. This initial blast can be a little surprising or overwhelming but do give the fragrance time to develop — it gradually softens as the woody notes kick in. The sandalwood is noticeably dry, light, soft and mellow and is backed up by warm notes of amber, musk and tonka bean which add a little sweetness. A very masculine, nostalgic fragrance from the end of the fifties with a lovely drydown. Very good value for money, too...

Arden Men Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden 4.02 out of 5 based on 45 ratings and 14 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elizabeth Arden Arden Men Sandalwood fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Elizabeth Arden Arden Men Sandalwood, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Arden Men Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Arden Men Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.