Designers » D E » Floral Green « Groups

Blue Grass Elizabeth Arden for women
dislike

aldehydic
Blue Grass Elizabeth Arden for women Pictures

A refreshing fragrance for everyday use. It starts with citrus and green fruit notes, which transform into floral notes. Blue Grass was launched in 1936.

Aldehydes Orange Blossom Lavender Neroli Bergamot Lily Geranium

D&G

Blue Grass Fragrance Reviews

Wanda Zimny
Wanda Zimny

A very classy fragrance for a classy lady ...

Bluegrass Angel
Bluegrass Angel

I have been wearing this perfume since I was a young girl. I have other perfumes I like too, so I don't wear it exclusively but every time I do wear it people stop me and ask me what I am wearing because they love it. I have been asked to gift it to her for her birthday by my 20 year old niece and I have been asked what is is by women well in their 60's. It truly is a perfume for all ages that evokes a sense of play and lightness. Plus it doesn't give me hay fever, despite the jokes about it smelling like "hay" by some others. Many new perfumes give me terrible hay fever, but not this one. I agree that you need to give it at least an hour to develop. But then you can walk out and smell classy all day.

gud
gud

Sometimes I smell something in my mind and just have to wear it for a week or more. I had Blue Grass on my mind so am wearing it his week. It's sweet, crisp and floral. It's me this week,day and night, I would not be comfortable in anything else. I am wearing the formulation m you get in shops now

estaesta
estaesta

WHOA. ITS LIKE BEING SMOTHERED BY 4711 EAU DE COLOGNE AND TEN THOUSANDS BAILS OF HAY. its exactly what it says : blue grass , intense horsey hay play. ( 60's vintage bottle)

it also has that generic hotel shampoo smell to it "fresh for everyone but awkwardly bitter oldschool"

its not a bad thing, its just its own thing, im starting to enjoy being propelled back by these oldies, everything is so immediately agreeable these days, its cool to throw the random oddball at your nose and have a freak out.

hour later, hmm yah still bit too screechy and warm and weirdo on me AVON LADY MEETS NINA RICCI L'AIR DU TEMPS in hay ?..hmm maybe my vintage is off..awkward

PinkRainbow
PinkRainbow

I agree completely with Planet X! Blue Grass is very spiritual and complex. Also, unique as it could not be mistaken for anything else. Fresh and breezy. The lavender and cloves make it bittersweet. A beautiful scent for a down-to-earth country girl.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Incredible! Spiritual and of such a complexity!
I Am fascinated by juices, that downvoted by majority, especially if it is vintage , so just bought it in vintage formulation, after reading these contradictional reviews and especially admiring the one of grayspoole, where she is writing about Blue Grass being one of faves of Marlene Dietrich.
Blue Grass opens with fresh happy aldehydes, moss and bay leaf with bright white florals, like a big sun, that shines under the whole white world, leaving that trace all way through development, which tends to be more relaxed, - lavender and spices and carnation.
I absolutely see, why creating this perfume took so much time and effort and I see those happy running in meadows horses silhouettes engraved on bottle glass, - celebration of Spirit and Freedom, escape and relief of all worries.
Herbal-spicy and warm, yet somewhat freshly crisp and cool - sounds like it can't be in same bottle, yet it is. Going to wear it till the last drop, although was buying just with idea to be introduced to the legend.

Ferminadaza
Ferminadaza

Dreadful.

I like soapy aldehydes but this one smells like a cross between old school facial astringent and chlorophyll.

Je Reviens is a better take on a bargain priced grassy aldehydic. Right about now, they're the same price, so there's no need to torture yourself and others with this one. Even better, Halston Classic for that fresh scrubbed, clean feel. .

A common question in the perfume community is what defines a scent as "cheap smelling". No offense to those who love it, but I'd bet the dictionary entry would include a pic of Blue Grass perfume.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the vintage might have smelled like, my bottle is of recent manufacture by Elizabeth Arden.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Put this aside until Spring. Something about "Green" always gives me pause in a perfume. Yet, this is the 2nd time I've been so wrong. Cabotine is green water but so delicious. Here is a Floral "Green" with Blue Grass. Also have pause with the word aromatic, although I seem to find it in more than one favorite. Not so sure why so many dislikes. I sampled before but today am wearing. My first thought was, hm .. why am I spending money on L'Interdit and Caleche? To me, this smells just as fragrant and you could call it a floral aldehyde and fool me. Easy. You could also say it costs $60 Discount and again I'd believe. Mind you, I love my Givenchy and Hermes and Chanel but the Elizabeth Arden is not playing second to any of them. 1934 is the year here and I seem to adore so many little fumes which just keep surviving all the changing trends decade after decade. Maybe today it is feeling more unisex especially with a concern over fragrances being inoffensive and what was once an accord for women is now sort of considered masculine. Whatever the case, I may have to buy a backup NIB and tuck it away and even wear it more than just in spring. It may be green but there is a lot of spicy going on here and the aldehydes are quite friendly. Perhaps this is for someone who has a specific taste? This also seems like it would require a younger person to be more on the mature side.

nvenus
nvenus

Edp:
This is, for sure, a more graceful variant/version of Chanel no19 (which I strongly dislike).
This has got the same distinct grass note with a fresh and floral twist. Soapy. Soap with grass scent.

I wouldn't ever use it but I can see how this could be someone's signature since it's not as (in my opinion) Bad as Chanel 19 - and Chanel is highly overrated and popular so why shouldn't this be when it smells almost the same?

So, should I mark it with dislike? Hmm, I don't think I will... I would use something - for example detergent or shampoo - that has a Blue Grass scent but I would never (ever again) pay for something that smells like this, unless a friend who I'm buying a gift for, wants it.

Edit: It gets more pleasant and likeable when it's lighter. I would buy soap that smells like this but only it it has a fair price.

petravesna
petravesna

SYNTHETIC SOAP smell jarring my nose for several hours

The beginning is so synthetic jasmine wrapped in synhetic honey/resin combination. It reminds me of cheap votive sticks. I thought perhaps the synthethics will evaporate and change like cabochard by GRES and develop into something interesting or beautiful as other reviews suggested. On me, it does gets weirdly sweeter and rounder like a glowing liquid amber mixed with a few drops of honey, my memory recalls a distant haze of Clinique Aromatics Elixir or Royal Jelly. At the end, after 6 hours it becomes tolerated as it start smelling like honey soap. That's probably the reason why some reviewers find its smell clean.

I think the title should be changed to Amber Glow rather than Blue Grass.

emt1986
emt1986

I'm happy to say that I am among the relative few who love Blue Grass! And I don't just love it, I fucking adore it.

My overall impression of BG is that it's cool and clean and decidedly not sexy or inviting. It smells a bit medicinal on the bottle, and once sprayed, the opening is quite aldehydic, but that fades quickly and when it does, it warms up a tad and turns into a nice spicy, slightly soapy carnation on me. The benzoin does its thing in the drydown, and I get a bit of cedar as well. BG is not one to overspray, and it lasts. I think this could be good in warmer weather.

Carnation is one of my favorite notes and I think it's so highly underrated in perfumery. The carnation in Blue Grass does remind me of a more casual, somewhat stronger L'Air du Temps, which is awesome, because LAdT is one of my pricier scents whereas I got Blue Grass for less than $10 as a Prime add-on item on Amazon. It's yet another example of how some of the greatest perfumes can be had on the down-and-dirty cheap.

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

In 1980, in Scandinavia, you could buy a versiom of BG in a green/turqoise box. It was truly sickening and headache inducing. It was a thick cloud of horrible sweet flowers blended in the most terrible fashion. I will never forget how awfull it was.

lindley
lindley

(Current formulation)

A good one to have on hand on days when you don't feel like smelling like a bowl of fruit, a bunch of flowers, or a cupcake.

Opens in an unfriendly way. After a while the heart softens with carnation and other flowers, but to me it never stops being about soap and hard woods. Nothing inviting or approachable.

I tested it on a hot day when I had to do a lot of walking along industrial roads, and I dearly appreciated its soapy cleanness preserving my freshly scrubbed feeling--against the odds!

Titibug
Titibug

My first impression is that this is beautiful. A potent scent and true 'perfume', old-fashioned but lovely (as are many old-fashioned things!).

I detect citruses, true-to-life lavender, sparkling white flowers, dry green sun-baked herbs (?!), innumerable and (to me) indistinguishable soft sweet powdery somethings floating in air. I can well imagine being in a vast open space, yes maybe a prairie under a warm west wind and late rays of afternoon sun, the wind blowing across a conveniently located plantation of orange blossoms. In this vision I would be a person with a suntan (ha!) and long hair and the wind blowing through it. A perfect remedy for northern hemisphere January gloom.

I'm very happy I smelled this and did not pass it over because of the conflicting reviews. Fragrantica is a fantastic website for guiding people on their fragrance journeys, and perfume offers delightful opportunities for the sweeping generalisations that help to tether us to our reality. For me, the pink-to-mid-blue ratio (small love, big fat dislike) means there's a beautiful truth to be found.

Asi es la vida...

The_Entity
The_Entity

I didnt like this one at all, the lavender I felt didnt work with my chemistry

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I can only tell you about vintage 1960 version in a blue rubberized bottle in the perfgume mist. it is astonishingly lovely (and I'm a vintage Arpege, Mitsouko,Chanel 22 girl). Does it smell vontage, yes. But it's a great fragrance. I get aldahydes, carnation and a slight civet. It's pretty and the dry down is powdery yet not old lady.

Sedjetbast
Sedjetbast

This was bought for me as my first grown-up perfume when I was 15 years old. 30 (oh dear) years later, and I still have a bottle. I'm one of the seemingly few that really love this.
I love it for being instantly recognisable, for good or ill, there's nothing else like it. The coldness it retains to it's core is refreshing, almost but not quite clinical, and because of that, oddly, reassuringly..staunch.
You can count on this to be what it is, if that makes sense.
I like it when I'm a bit stressed, I find it calming and dependable and stabilizing..it has never been a "signature" or a deep obsession for me, but it has been a lifetime constant.
I think that makes it pretty special in its own right, and I will never be without it.

Taliera
Taliera

For me, this is a perfume that starts off beautifully - but gets bad, then worse, to the point where you HAVE to get it off your skin!! The initial spray is aldehydic bliss, followed by a manicured, elegant floral experience. But quickly, the scent changes into that "heavy" old-lady kind of floral we all know... Then it morphs into something really soapy. (To all the people who think modern-day florals smell like soap, you don't know what you're talking about...) Old-fashioned florals are REALLY soapy. The final part of the drydown is spicy as well as soapy - and strong... well I couldn't analyze it any more because I was rinsing it off my wrist!

Current formula:

If you can bear with the initial aldehydic burst, the juice definitely settles into a clean, brisk, soapy floral with an incense base to show later.

Blue Grass has a sterile aura about it; that is to say that's not your clubbing scent or something to wear to impress the opposite sex. However it is something you verily enjoy for yourself and it is distinctively a feminine fragrance on the lady-like edge of the spectrum. I believe it is perfectly acceptable to men hence, albeit there are better alternatives if your purpose is to impress.

To me, Blue Grass has definitely a Victorian Goth aura to it. The cool, brisk, and flowery structure of the fragrance stands and satisfies for the Victorian part, whereas the incense base gives a gothic edge to it.

Jasmine2024
Jasmine2024

I blindly purchased this perfume after hearing an amazing story of a nurse in the 1950's and a particular man who always knew when she was on duty because of this scent so I had to have it- well my romantic vision was short lived after the initial spray- it was awful sorry to say. I even tried to off load it to my mum but even she could handle it. It ended up in the outside rubbish bin.

Maybe mine was like really, really off.

Fonna2

I think it has a lot to do with chemistry, and there's no medium ground here. One absolutely loves it, or hates it.
Never thought this simple perfume would be so complex.

$32 a bottle, fresh at Macy's, and I go through one every year since a little goes a long way and lasts a good long time.
The worst comment I ever got from this was "You smell like soap." (Heck,....I don't mind smelling like soap for goodness sake...lol)
Btw, the aldehydes do wear off quickly. If you can't stand them, use the spray in the air and walk through method.

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

£10 for a bottle: either it is a bad perfume and they are desperate to sell, or they have made a mistake on the price tag. Neither. Is it bad? Not really, is it good? Not really, and the £10 justify the investment: nothing to be surprised here, just a fresh flowery and powdery juice that seems to work on two levels:
1 After spraying the first layer is asphyxiating and difficult to describe: heliotrope? Musk? Vanilla? Whatever it is it smells highly synthetic
2 After 1/2 hour it settles a bit to become powdery but absolutely no surprise
Will this be my signature scent? Certainly not. That would teach me to buy cheap stuff.
Some reviewers have mentioned the smell of Palmolive soap, freshly cut grass, well that's not my case. I have learnt from this experience that maybe spending a bit more for a nice Guerlain is worth more the investment.
I will probably revisit BG in a few weeks time. In the meantime and on the positive, it will look good as air freshener in my toilets...

Sanskilainen
Sanskilainen

I just got a vintage in my hands and I am puzzled with the dissing this one gets. Must be the new formulation of which I cannot say a thing.

The opening of the vintage formulation is aldehydes, but it takes only a few minutes for the warm powdery flowers to open up. I get geranium, narcissus and carnation in an old style blend. Gently spicy warmth is blended in. There is no greenness in the scent, just warmth and mellow spiciness. The Vintage is not bold in our time but I can see the charm of this. It is clean and safe, surely something to wear in the daytime. It stays close to body and I am curious to hear what reactions people around will give on this one.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

My vintage bottle of this parfum is one of my most treasured scents. I love carnation, so that's the first attraction; secondly the combination of spices, narcissus, benzoin and whatever witches' brew of aldehydes is in the original version, is absolutely magnificent. The strength of the stuff, the originality and punch of it, made it completely unique. It was one of those scents where the combination of ingredients made a completely new smell. For comparison I bought a recent bottle and it is, like L'Air du Temps, a pale shadow of its former self, with no staying power, and it now smells as if half the ingredients are omitted (which is quite likely). I wouldn't bother with the new; but if you can find a bottle of the original stuff - great! :)

grayspoole
grayspoole

After many years of bad reformulations, Blue Grass is certainly in the running for most despised vintage perfume. But if you want to understand how the impeccably turned out Marlene Dietrich (who had multiple fittings for her gloves alone) could wear Blue Grass, read Dorothy Grace's perceptive reevaluation of the scent below. In its day, Blue Grass was an original, admired, and extremely well bred perfume. The original flacons are gorgeous--clear glass with translucent pale blue glass stoppers molded with a horse head design. My small bottle of Blue Grass perfume oil is more recent, probably dating from the 1950's. It is a dense unguent that opens as a powerful fougere of lavender, laurel, and cedar, suggesting the dried herbs used to purify and mothproof linens. Gradually, Blue Grass becomes warmer, soapy, and only slightly more feminine with notes of carnation and jasmine. Coumarin and sandalwood basenotes do not alter the overall green and vegetal character of the scent. Blue Grass has absolutely no carnality or sexiness. It is all about perfectly clean skin and brisk outdoor air. Dietrich must have found it so refreshing to put this on after a long day at the studio playing Shanghai Lily in veils and feathers.

gmmcnair
gmmcnair

The current version has been stripped down compared to what I remember. It used to be richer, more powdery, and potent.

The current version is a clean, soapy floral, with a nice dose of lavender, spice, and vetiver. I like it as a casual masculine fragrance. With a light trigger finger, it smells fantastic on the right man.

bonnie52
bonnie52

I bought a bottle of Blue Grass a few years ago based on reviews from another site. What I got smelled NOTHING like I expected. It was so bad I couldn't wear it. I adore green scents but this was like no green I had ever smelled before; very pungent and just awful. I see here that people say to get the vintage scent. I have tried that with some other perfumes that the vintage is recommended with bad luck. I get perfumes that have spoiled or they don't last very long on the skin.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I'm surprised at how much Blue Grass is disliked; but at the same time not surprised. I think the name may have something to do with people's expectations that this will be a very breezy, grassy scent but it isn't. In truth, it's a very unusual scent that plays different types of notes against each other. What I mean is that there are the sweet bright florals like daffodil with bright aldehydes pitted against darker spices such as cloves so it's an unusual mix that is not often seen in perfumery.
I don't get a strong aldehyde opening like from classic floral aldehydes - I do get something that smells very much like banana Starburst candies in the opening. I thought at first my nose was playing tricks on me but every time I sprayed it - there it was. Nonetheless, I'm not complaining; it was kind of cute in its way. Overall, I like Blue Grass very much. It's perfect for spring - and maybe fall as well.
Because Blue Grass is so unusual, I would definitely advise trying before buying but give it time to play itself out (I mean, several hours, maybe even more than once). It changes constantly and keeps you wondering what will happen next. Sillage is very good so maybe less is more with this (I say this because I'm seeing so much hating going on) and it's pretty long lasting.
I'm giving it a "love" for it's intriguing take on the "floral green" genre and uniqueness.

Fonna2

I've never come across any perfume that smelled like rotten eggs(?). Even the ones I dislike immensely, such as the over ripe fruit smell.

So come on, now. Let's not get carried away.
As a vintage nut that I am, I can say Blue Grass is a very clean smell, like you just came out of the shower, or a flowerfield.....

and not the fruit cellar.....*clears throat*

CatherineLaundon
CatherineLaundon

My mum used to wear this back in the 1980s/90s and I've always associated it with her. No way I could wear it because its her scent!

elsie.oliveros

This is an update from my first review.
Yes, definitely, I prefer the old formula to the new one, big time. The new one the opening is very green in a weird way (I don't like green notes, except for Niki de Saint Phalle's ) and it has a very strong anise note (I really dislike anise). I will repeat what other reviewers have mentioned: must wait for the dry down, then it almost becomes the beautiful scent it used to be in the past.
Now the positive: the old formula is still available and it smells unique, distinctive, clean, fresh. I just purchased a 4oz vintage bottle on line and can't wait to get it.

zzMaja
zzMaja

Wore this vintage formulation years ago and did like it very much. Grandmas wore it and so did mom. I thought I would give it a try again just for old times sake. However, I found it harsh and soapy. I definitely get the vetiver and grassy notes, but not in a good way. Thank goodness I had a good walk in the wind and hopefully it all blew off me because I did not like it.

archivist
archivist

It is necessary to judge this perfume based on the 70s vintage, which can be acquired without much fuss or expense on ebay. The contemporary bottles are just generic floral juice. If you want the full experience of the oriental chypre amazingness which is Blue Grass, go vintage! My favorite bottles are all 70s vintage, the animalics are way amplified in the much earlier versions and the modern... Pfft.

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

My Dad bought this for me in the 70s. I can almost smell it as I think about that, and I wore it but it was kind of horrible. There was a blue box of powder that came with the set. I think I somehow connected it in my mind with the book Black Beauty and horses. I am sure I bought more as a young adult ,probably because this was Edmonton Alberta and other than Charlie and Avon pickings were slim at The Bay downtown. Yes, it was an awful scent, but I've enjoyed thinking about my Dad who is now gone as I write so worth it after all.

SuzanneEnnazus1
SuzanneEnnazus1

I rememeber seeing this when growing up but never knowing what it smelt like. I only recently tried it on and wanted to buy it straight away.

I'm not sure what's in it, maybe lily, but it's very clean, comforting and feel good. Like the Fresh clean feeling after a shower or freshly washed linen. Or as somebody else said, like standing in a hayfield after the rain. It gives me a boost to start the day, so I would call it a day time fragrance. I wouldn't say it's very exciting, but I like to wear different fragrances for different moods.

I'm not sure why people call old classic perfumes old fashioned, but then rave about old ones like No 5 that have had lots of recent publicity.

Ql7
Ql7

Wore this in the 70s. My friends said it was old lady perfume, told me to wear Jontue or Muguet de Bois. I hate this stuff now and might consider my friends recommendations, if they still even make 'em.

stormyla
stormyla

The information above is incorrect. According to the Perfumeintelligence database, Blue Grass was created in 1934 by Fragonard perfumer George Fuchs for Elizabeth Arden. The scent was named after the scent of her Kentucky home.

I can remember my grandmother wearing this as long ago as 1962. I keep a vintage aerosol bottle of the perfume oil in her memory. It still smells luscious!

judithmarianne
judithmarianne

Either my bottle has turn rancid (bought it in a drugstore in Sydney for $8 Aussies) or simply not my cup of tea. On me it smells like mosquitoes repellent :-(

Njensen1
Njensen1

I think this is a very much dated perfume, in the it completely reminds me of an old mother's powder room. On first spray I detect nothing but a strong, powdery...But not unpleasant smell! There is some spice, and it definitely comes out more as the fragrance dries out.I detect some lily...Very mild. Still the powder persists. The fragrance as a whole reminds me of those old powder-puffs that you would dusts your body with to dry your skin and lightly scent it. Not a bad fragrance, but like I said, dated for sure.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

First off, I think this and Je Reviens are both fragrances that you are either going to love or hate. They are very similar. I, myself think that Blue Grass is very unique and vintage and lovely. It starts off to me like the feeling of standing in a hayfield just after a rain. If you live on the great plains like me, that's a wonderful place to be. I get the combination of aldehydes, lavender, and carnation. This stays around for about 30 minutes or so. Then the lovely spices, benzoin, sandalwood, tonka and classic florals make an entrance that soften the initial blast at the beginning.

At this point, it transforms into a beautiful vintage powdery, soft, fluffy feathery scent. In my opinion, it wears much like an Annick Goutal, particularly Heure Exquise.
Not that they smell the same, they just go on and transform the same to me. Yes, I am with everyone on this one, the drydown is the best phase of this perfume. Not everyone is going to love this, but you really do have to wait and give it a chance. As with any perfume, I am only interested in what is inside, and I find it to be a very unique, multifaceted, and enduring perfume.

maneki_neko
maneki_neko

An earlier reviewer advised to wait for the drydown. I think that's one of the best things said here.

I love this perfume. Truly. It's one of my very favorites. It's fresh, clean, powdery, grassy (and I like those things). It's perfect as an everyday, daytime scent. Sharp citrus and sweet floral lovers probably won't take to this one, though (although I can say I have plenty of those scents in my collection as well. I'd give anything a try).

I've become inured to it, but to me, there is quite an aldehyde assault when it's initially applied (it's the same thing I experience with Youth Dew). I suck it up and drive on--because it's only going to last for a very short time, and it's entirely worth the wait for the lovely drydown. It seems there are many individuals who are quick to give up on a scent because of an aldehyde aversion. I say: patience! Often you will be pleasantly surprised.

Migalex
Migalex

I find the current formula very similar tothe previous reformulation (not the current one, which reminds me of Samsara) of Chanel nº 5. Staying power is amazing.

elsie.oliveros

Many years ago I loved the smell of Blue Grass. Decided to give it try again and ordered two bottles on line. Just got them in the mail today. One of the bottles is the new formula, the other is older. What a disappointment! The new version is not even close, I noticed it the moment I sprayed it on. Unlike the original version, that smelled wonderful from the start, this smell....well, I can understand the reason for the negative reviews. The older version dries down to a point that it almost resembles the original, but it takes at least 1/2 hour to kick in.
This is a real shame. Even though Blue Grass was not up there with Shalimar, L'Air du Temps", Chanel 5 and the other French classics, still it was very lovely and very distinctive.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

This is a fabulous (and cheap) scent for everyday. It smells very aldehydic and very clean and fresh, a bit like Palmolive soap but with more zing.

It doesn't last more than couple of hours but I just bought a 30ml bottle for £6 so I guess I can afford a top up now and then. A fabulous classic.

Fonna

After quite a few months that I said I would buy it, I did.. I don't use it everyday. I don't want to get so use to it that I can't smell how strong it is on me.

It has a sweetness to it. Not the lollipop candy sweetness, but I guess one could call it a spicey sweetness. Lots of florals and spice.
It seems I'm drawn to the scent of carnation and cloves.
I had several comments on it first week I wore it. My initial first comment as I walked into a room was " Oooo , who is that. Is that you? It smells so clean."
It's a HIT!!

A polocrosse-playing neighbour gave 11 or 12-year-old me her little-used bottle of Blue Grass, and the memories evoked by it are poignant because she later had a fall during a match and sustained severe brain injuries which were probably the cause of her very much attenuated and shortened life. So in honour of her and the horsey life I enjoyed then, I bought a new bottle after nearly 40 years. There is a trace of the fragrance I remember, but it isn't the same; it's a lot more strident. Anyway I didn't love it then, and although I have now given it in its updated incarnation an exhaustive workout, given it every possible chance, I finally have had to admit that there is no fragrance I have ever liked less. Only LouLou comes close.
I wish I had the training to name the notes that are clearly discernible. Teh aldehyde roar is obvious and also the obvious reason for my aversion- don't like any fragrance in which they predominate, feature or even seem to cameo-appear.
But there's something else in there too, that is, as others have said, over-ripe, as do windfall apricots passing through over-sweetness and into fermentation. There is absolutely nothing 'fresh' in there for me. Fermented as I've said and also musty. The mustiness might be the result of the dryness of the aldehydes mingling with the dryness of the lavender and maybe the geranium. Geranium foliage can certainly smell very mouldy.
A shame about the ugliness of the new bottle design too.

Lovesmells
Lovesmells

I used to wear this back when! Loved it then and then it disappeared from all the retail stores. I like heady fragances and aldehydes so keep that in mind when you read this. In the same manner I don't like smelling like grass, cucumber, or watermelons.

I am not an expert on notes so all I have is my memory that I liked it then and now too. I am sure that like all else, it has been reformulated but still pretty much what it was. But I will say that there are a lot of notes here and floral

I like buying little bottles of new trys so there's a $$ investment

then I found it again :) I wear it when I don't want to smell like everyone else. I also wear the dedorant, which is actually very good. If you suffer from sweaty hands ( an actual illness) you can try it on your palms mixed with a non perfumed cream

NO. To me it does not smell like granny ( and I am not one yet). Wait for the drydown, it is soft.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Way too much aldehydes for my liking, other than that I really don't know why I don't like this. Carnation, lavender, daffodil - I smell all that but find these notes lacking unity, there is a discord in this orchestra even if soloists are worthy on their own. I like a lot of separate moments in the Blue Grass, but not the perfume as a whole.

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

I started wearing this back in the early 80s in high school. I was the quiet one of the group but I always wanted to be different. So while others were soaked in Opium, Fendi, Giorgio and such I was spritzing on this classic. You have to be able to wait out the first few minutes but after you are rewarded with a clean, powdery scent that makes you feel fresh and lovely.

mew.kitty
mew.kitty

I have to say that this is my most hated fragrance. Although the scent improves a bit after the first few minutes, Blue Grass is one of those scents that I find myself having to wash off my skin. BG was my first experience with aldehydes, and I have made up my mind that I am not a fan. To me, this perfume smells like dental floss with a touch of stale bread. It actually reminds me of the unpleasant odor you smell when visiting a nursing home.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

I have absolutely no idea why I like this, other than that is has a sort of creaminess mixed with a sense of being outdoors which I find comforting. As it does not contain oakmoss, one of my favourite notes, it is even more puzzling. Maybe this is why I like Jicky, that lovely hay meadow, herbal, forest gladeness that I go for. Should I ponder on this further.................. no............... just enjoy the moment and be grateful it is still in production.

caiomags
caiomags

The top notes arrive to sting the nostrils, but the base notes become a pleasant aroma that reminds us of something classic and senile.

AnyaZ
AnyaZ

I ordered this based on the composition and reviews, but I am so disappointed. This is a headache-inducing, overpowering concoction smelling of cheap soap. To me, it is a heady floral (artificial-smelling combination of tuberose, ylang-ylang, carnation, and lily?). Not my fragrance, alas. Maybe in tiny amounts on a very young person?

Alle Homme
Alle Homme

I just love it, this is fantastic and classic. great value.

this is fantastic, old fashion good smell.
it reminds me the "old" Opium YSL
;o)

ammebirds
ammebirds

Wore this to Homecoming in high school in 1970. Loved the carnations and powder combo. Smelling it now is a total memory blast but not my cup of tea anymore.

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

According to Wikipedia, Blue Grass was released in 1934.

ingahoberg
ingahoberg

I don't have a review. I just want to say that this fragrance has been around since the early 60's or earlier.( not 1989 as stated above) It was my first real perfume at age 15. A friend of mine wore it and I just had to have it. I have worn it of and on for over 45 years. It used to come in a lovely bottle with horses. Now it looks cheap and commercial but it is still the same great fragrance. It's like summer in a bottle and it lasts the whole day. I still wear it a few times a year!

Long time no see. It was over 20 years ago since I had Blue grass. This is a bold, edgy, loud and totally wonderful scent. First 15 minutes is all about aldehydes - and then it turns magic on my skin. So deep, so mature and sexy. A perfum for a superwoman, for a woman who knows her place in the middle of all action. Superlonglasting on my skin and if I spray my coat it will smell good for weeks. Blue grass is not for everybody, Many women will say: uack awful, but a few will fall head over heels for this one, that special is it.

Längesen. Det är över 20 år sen jag bar Blue Grass sist. Detta är en kraftig, högljudd, kaxig och helt underbar doft. Första 15 minuterna är helt dominanta av aldehyder men sen - blir den magisk på min hud. Djup, vuxen och sexig. En doft för superkvinnan som vet att hennes plats är i mitten av allting - där allt händer. Superhållbar på huden och om jag sprejar jackan så doftar den gott i flera veckor.. Blue Grass är inte en dussindoft. Många kvinnor kommer att avfärda den och säga usch men för några få så kommer denna att bli nummer ett för lång, lång tid framöver, så unik och speciell är den.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

WOOOOHAHOOOOO! Wow. What can I say....I love aldehydes...LOVE EM'! But the opener on Blue Grass is awful! It smelled like the air fresheners in old Dairy Queens! I hated to go in there, not because it was dirty but that smell oh that smell! It made me feel like it was dirty. Ok now it settled down into a spicy balmy carnation..I like that. I feel like the dry down might take awhile so I will get back to you on that. But I will say this is NOT for people who enjoy soft girly SWEET flowers. And I would suggest NOT to buy this blind. AND oh yeah go easy on this one, two squirts should last all day.

PS I just for the heck of it shook up the bottle and sprayed it again...it seems like it dispersed the aldhyde bomb. I have found this has worked several times with perfumes that had a weird opening and it works well...now I have a pleasant spicy,powdery spray that I will probably use in the winter. ♥

mystica

Yesterday I had the chance to try Blue Grass and am happy that I did.

I smell hyacinth in this one. The initial burst was very strong, indeed it put me off. But after a few minutes I couldn't stop smelling my wrist. The powdery creamy "hyacinth" note (which I usually adore) was getting softer, yummier and delicious. Not in a sweet way, but in a perfect buttery way. I dunno, it's my skin maybe, but Blue Grass mixed perfectly with my chemistry. I wanted to eat myself..

While the heart notes were evolving in my skin towards the base (how much I like that phase!) I start smelling first carnation and some spices added to the buttery floweriness. Later on and finally, what I was left with was truly similar to L'air Du Temps, but certainly not the same. Blue Grass has a unique twist to it, and I think benzoin plays a big role in this.

If you are looking for a feminine fragrance, I can certainly recommend Blue Grass. It's on my wish list from now on!

mariasara
mariasara

once again I want to thank all the reviewers of blue grass, because I bought it based on the reviews and I love it! It´s somehow similar to l'air du temps, as I expected, but much greener, specially in the opening notes. after a while you can feel the carnation, but it seems to be tempered with anise and musk. the drydown is wonderful, very clean, classic and rafinné.I find it great for current summertime, in fact, I think this can be an all year round scent. Though I love this, I admit it might not suit everyone: you have to like green notes, carnation and be open to strong aldehydes to really love this.

Fleurfine
Fleurfine

If you can get past the initial blast of aldehydes
you'll discover a soft and powdery heart, almost innocent.

Different from what you may expect, Blue Grass
isn't a carnation monster, but because of the carnation it has a certain feel when wearing it, quite similar to Nina Ricci's L' air du Temps. Though both perfumes are different,
I can see someone disliking either one of them, not liking the other one either.
However, Blue Grass is fresh, clean but smooth and unsweetened, and stays that way. It's green but in a sophisticated way because of the woods and spices softening the harshness and giving the fragrance
another dimension.

This Eau de Parfum lasts quite a long time and though it doesn't radiate through a room, it is quite noticeable by others.
Don't indulge yourself in Blue Grass however, use it mildly, give her time and she might become a new companion.

KSBelle
KSBelle

This is a "just-got-out-of-the-shower" fragrance. It's clean, soapy, innocent, powdery, and fresh. I picture a barefoot young country girl with freshly washed hair, slipping into a sundress, laying in the cool grass, with the afternoon sun warming her freckled skin. Clusters of little white flowers, dandelions, blue skies, and fluffy white clouds....

This, to me, is not an "old" fragrance. It is beautiful in an odd familiar way. It reminds me of My grandmothers house in Valdosta Georgia. I would stay there with her during the summer. The cicadas and crickets would chime in together as the heat settled into her flower gardens. Everything was lush, green, and wrapped up in kudzu. The screen door at the back of the house would shut behind me with a creak, and a slow whine. I would find myself in a magical world of green plants and flowers. The neighbors shared big yards without fences, and in the afternoon large glasses of sweet tea with lemon slices. It was as if time stood still there.

I could easily go back there now, slip on a sundress, and wander back out into the fields to lay beneath the shade tree again. Even though my grandmother has long since passed away, and the house has been sold. I can spritz on some Blue Grass, and find myself barefoot in the backyard again. Her voice trailing after me, calling me to come in for sweet tea, homemade apple pie, and freshly sliced Georgia peaches. A haze of summer memories wash over me, and I am a young girl again. For sentimental reasons, I love Blue Grass....

daniela3
daniela3

Very 'everything' you've written... but keep in mind that this fragrance came to light in 1934 and since then a lot of things have happened, among them only one must catch our attention: its tragic REFORMULATION; so that, this fragrance, which was so cosy, soft, tender, beautiful (not only for me!) and really tenacious - against all odds it is still quite 'readable'! - can sound now 'cheap' because it's done cheaply! (apart its popularity also...) There are a lot of other perfumes - pathetically reformulated and completely transformed that still arise the curiosity and the admiration of (ingenuous) buyers and they are welcome with a choir of "wow".... It's a real pity, if anybody (especially in the U.S.) chanced to find an old bottle of this lovely juice, I'm sure, this person would change his/her mind. The now available Blue Grass is very similar to the old one but the old one was done with good ingredients. In both cases tenacity is remarkable. Although I do not run after vintages (sooner or later they too came to an end) I'd like very much to have a B.G. edition released - at least- before the '80!

pfcs
pfcs

1989, my eye! It came out in 1934. It is lighter than my usual scent, but I sometimes enjoy wwearing it when the temperature gets in the 100's in the summers here.

kiskionok
kiskionok

scorpiosheep, you are right-it was created in 1935! That's why it tells a story, not simply "smells".

Fonna

Mmmmm...just came in from the mall, and of course wound up at the fragrance counters.

Although I like to go around on my own, spritzing the scent cards, I am glad that someone assisted me in finding this fragrance.

After the aldehydes wear off, it quickly goes into a soft carnation and very green. It was an instant hit.
I find that I'm attracted to the scent of carnation, badly.
Strictly floral, clean, no sickly sweetness.

I want it!

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

I had it a couple of times as a child and then as a teenager. Interesting scent; Green, flowery & powdery. Such a classic. Brings back memories.... :D

vanillablossom
vanillablossom

a horror! the only scent i have ever encountered that triggers intense nausea instantly (usually i have a very strong stomach). I recoil from this, wish to never smell it again - I begged my mother to get rid of her bottle

Jellybean
Jellybean

strong oldie type of fume. heavy green floral. somehow wherever i see carnation as an ingredient it seems to add to the strength of a scent and classifies the fragrance as an ancient one. very potent, so spare too many spritzes it lasts 24+ hours.

my review after actually wearing it after many years of smelling it on my mom who loved this.

sweet grassy floral. green, but not too. not much citrus, but plenty of lavender and rose to my nose. love the aldehydes and was pleasently surprised at how long lasting this is. i've had this on since 9a.m. and i can still smell it now at 3. i'm very happy wearing this very lady-like scent.

hlhenderson
hlhenderson

This is one fragrance that seems to have a mind of its own. It can be moody, sometimes draping over you like a soft blanket of country inspired floral aromas, while other times threatening to whiff like a stale urine stain if you get too close.

jesseg
jesseg

to all of you who hate blue grass..spray it on your pillow in the morning and then smell it after one hour. in the first 30 minutes it smells like greasy basil but then into a blue warm flower. its very warm from flowers and clean...beautiful scent but cannot explain the notes i smell...but remember after the first hour, nothing before that

cryptic
cryptic

Blue Grass is one of those classics that gets off to a rough start. Much like Mitsouko and Aromatics Elixir, BG can be a bit scary right out of the bottle, but the end result is worth the initial horror. It quickly morphs from an assault of aldehydes to a cool, dry unique fragrance with almost no sweetness. Blue Grass was inspired by the horse country around Elizabeth Arden's home, and strikes me as a fragrance that would be right at home worn with riding clothes or tennis whites. I can picture someone like Katherine Hepburn wearing it, or a student at one of the Seven Sisters.

truffles
truffles

My immediate thought on this? It's at once sparkling and wistful. There's something quite lovely about it.
I could never wear it though, it's just not 'me'. It's not clean. I gave it a proper wearing today and know this now for sure. I knew it when I caught a whiff from myself and thought 'that smells like Old Spice'. No, no, NO! Not for me!
It's going to be a stocking filler for my Mum because it is her, she likes spicy, I just can't do it myself.
I do think it's a well done perfume though, some of the non-spice elements, especially in the top notes are simply beautiful.

perfumemad62
perfumemad62

My grandmother has been wearing this since her teens so I feel this perfume has so many memories attached to it. I really like how floral, spicy and unique this scent is. To be honest, I am not sure if I'd wear this though. Maybe if I hadn't associated this fragrance with my grandmother I wouldn't like it so much! I would recommend women 25+ wearing this in winter as it's a little heavy for summer time.

poppyvanhaarm
poppyvanhaarm

surely the information should read 're-launched in 1989' as i remember my friend being bought a gift set by her mother when she was a teenager in the sixties? at the time i thought it too old for her and didn't take to it at all

merlinarbor
merlinarbor

When I was a teenager (in the '80s), I often pilfered sprays of perfume from my mother's modest collection. Blue Grass was one of the few I wouldn't touch. Haven't smelled the new version, but I sure remember the old one as ghastly!

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

I put this one on the dislike list because it changes into something wierd on my skin. But it smells okay from the bottle, and I don't mind it on other people.

I agree with Nuppu that would be good as a linen cabinet spray, or use it to refresh paper drawer liners.

Smells summery to me.

naksahdill
naksahdill

unusual, exquisite, long lasting. smells like luxury. on the other side decent. not for young girls I think. it has no sweetness. I don't detect flowers and I think is for winter season. I like it. It's special.

reidb18
reidb18

my grandmother started wearing this in the 30s right through till the 80s, when I believe it was relaunched?! She's turning 100 later this month and I went to the trouble of tracking down some vintage bottles and the old tins of dusting powder, I hope she likes it.

Mandana
Mandana

This perfume is terrible, IMO, on a par with or possibly slightly worse (if that is possible) than Estée Lauder's Youth Dew. Blue Grass is absolutely abominable from start to finish, all the notes seem to "attack" each other from the beginning and it never really mellows into anything but "old faded mouldy grass" after a few hours. Even when it was launched I felt it was an outdated perfume then, so I cannot think of what age or type of woman on this planet would suit this fragrance. It smells synthetic (well, hey, who has ever seen BLUE grass?) and the drydown unfortunately lasts for hours. It smelled on me like old damp rotting hay left to sit in a hot and musty attic for months before dragging it out and emptying fresh grass cuttings over it. The fresh grass will never eliminate the foulness of rotting hay. Never wear this perfume if you want to impress a man/get a new job! It is harsh and loud, unfeminine and extremely unpleasant. It should carry a Government Health Warning "please wear at own risk".

galex
galex

I tried this in 1965 and it was one of the most unusual scents I've ever smelled, far away from the fragrance they sell now. It smells cheap and artifical, I am sure they changed the formula. IMO it is awful and not wearable.

Henriette
Henriette

This is a most puzzling fragrance. Certainly not a masterpiece, not a memorable one, but it's nice if you give it the time to reveal itself. I would not say it's for everyone or everyday, but in certain moments this is gorgeous. It's a strange perfume because it opens up with a body full of promises, in a rich way and one would guess it goes strong and develops like a symphony. Wrong. After the first outburst it becomes quieter and dries down to a nice powdery scent, nothing screamed, nothing too out loud. If you are disappointed with the beginning fading away, yes, you might be right, but if you look at it like a burning passion developing into a quiet, long lasting love, well, you are on the right path. And it's long lasting too. The scent, I mean.

salihah
salihah

it is very strong has amazing lasting power but it isnt for me and it smells similar anais anais

christina2015
christina2015

I bought this perfume to my mom last month. I bought it online so I just know it by reading the reviews here. Both of us don't like this perfume because We don't smell any smell in this perfume. If you'd like to buy perfume for yourself or someone you like/love, this is my advice " you get what you pay". My good advice to you is you shouldn't buy this one because this is one of the worst perfume in the world

Zinderella
Zinderella

It is a Sunday morning here and Im not quite awake yet... not with it yet :) Upon reading these reviews I HAVE to go spray some on... I know it will wake me up!! and in a good way... I have been wearing this since the age of 15, my first "official" bottle of perfume. Now many bottles later it is still gorgeous, bringing so many memories.
Someone said it is unlike any other perfume, but I think it is similar to Je Reviens, (but dont hold me to that, this is just the opinion of my hayfevery, unprofessional nose)...but where Je Reviens is smooth, classy, elegant and ladylike, Blue Grass is very fresh and sparkly, young, happy and out there. I also have the cologne, which is much gentler, less strong.. still lasting but more comforting and powdery :)
P.S. maybe I shouldnt sniff Blue Grass with hayfever.. but I DONT CARE!!! I love it!!

efm
efm

Hell - this is strong. I assumed it would be a non-descript commercial fader.
Wrong, Blue Grass is a screacher. 12 hours and counting.

Initially an odd citrus mix with baby powder - innocuous but persisent.
It develops into a pleasant floral scent and lingers, and lingers and lingers.

This was a complete surprise.

Buttonz
Buttonz

I wore this fragrance years ago when I was a high school girl. I forgot all about it until I saw it featured in perfume shop in England. I went in, sprayed a spritz of it and I was an exuberant young girl all over again! The scent is clean, fresh, a bit citrusy and powdery. It mellows beautifully over time. I love they way my clothing smells toward the end of the day if I've used Blue Grass. Whenever I wear it people always comment on how wonderful my fragrance is.

glaciesregina
glaciesregina

My Grandmother wore this scent so it always brings back fond memories of her and of my childhood :)

blueberry
blueberry

Blue Grass sounds like an oxymoron and indeed it's a mixture of everything - aldehydes, flowers, powder, soap...
It isn't a summer scent or green, IMHO. Very aldehydic and a bit old school, still quite intriquing and extremely long lasting.
Definitely requires an elegant or smart-casual outfit for a perfect match.
Simply a classic, but rather for refined noses!

valarian
valarian

I recently purchased this perfume blind out of curiosity really. I remember my mum telling me it was her sister’s favourite perfume.

Such a shame it wasn't for me on first sniff. I knew to be fair I had to give it a bit more time before shutting the door completely so I wore it a few more times but it just didn't suit me.

I found the opening difficult but it did soften and I started to get a soft hay like note almost got to the stage where I was starting to like it but something stopped me from being able to relax with it maybe I'm just not ready for this.

I've given up for now but not altogether I will revisit this again it's too legendary a perfume not to try again!

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

this is a strange one. smells like an ointment or reach oily balm that old wealthy ladys used to put on there faces in the 18 century. not entirely unpleasant, though. it seems that its an acquired taste. the more you smell it the more you like it. thats how it is with me.

Gigifst
Gigifst

I'll just tell the truth...i love to spend money on perfumes...this one was cheap...i bought it.

1st time e smell it...bhlaccc...but after a few minutes of pain i have to tell this...is so cute. Soft but very long lasting power...everytime i move i can smell it!!!Remembers me fresh baby powder. I dont know how to describe it better.lol

Not my favorite, but i'd buy it again, thats for sure.

Gingerwoman
Gingerwoman

I remember my Dad gave me this when I was 17. It kind of stung my nose back then. I recently bought a bottle partly I chose it because it was more affordable than other perfumes I wanted more. I don't like it when I first put it on but after a while it because really nice, warm and comforting. Refreshing, not too sweet. Blue Grass lasts for hours and hours.

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

Finally plucked up the courage to buy and wear this extraordinary fragrance. I had tested it in the past but each time wanted to scrub it off as soon as I sprayed it. I've learned now to let it settle down into itself which is does with class and style. It is fresh and green and herbaceous like having rolled in fresh meadow grass and walking home in the summer afternoon rain with tousled hair. A word, however,: don't spray this on and go rushing off to meet your date - it will knock him over before you do! Be patient and gentle with this fragrance.

Kiku
Kiku

One of my great perfume love affairs. It was introduced in 1934 but still smells fresh and contemporary, maybe because it isn't very sweet. The opening is fresh and airy. The heart is a soft, powdery combination of lavender and white flowers. The drydown is full of one of my favorite notes, cedar, which produces a cool, crisp edge. The perfume is shot through with pepper. It tickles the nose like champagne! Blue Grass is not a "girly" fragrance. It is no nonsense and almost masculine. Blue Grass was said to be the favorite of Marlene Dietrich, it will forever bear her cachet. This has been reformulated and like most reformulations it has lost some of it's richness and depth. But reformulated Blue Grass is still better than almost anything else. It should be in the heart of everyone's perfume wardrobe.

chaos2
chaos2

I do not like aldehydes, but I loved this. I was surprised to see the reviews saying it was aldehyde heavy, but then again it has been a long time...
What I remember is probably the orange blossom, and lavender and something like "sweet rain". When I wore it cowl neck sweaters were big. ;) I used to put my nose in the cowl and be able to smell it.

i remember my mother wearing this when i was a child. she said it brought her back to her roots. she moved to new england from the midwest to marry my dad. she said she grew up on bluegrass music ( hence the name) i haven't seen this perfume in years. i bet a big whiff of it would remind me of her.

barbiot35
barbiot35

I had own Blue Grass about a few years ago and Iremember that it was too sharp to my nose... The powdery floral scent was beautiful but it should be watered down to be a wearable fragrance for me.
But anyway, that could be a good choice who has a very dry skin and has difficulty in hold the fragrances on the skin coz its longevity is incredible, stays forever!...

London 1991 - me - a tourist walking into this big salesplace - dont remember the name - and a sweet lady asked me if I would like to try this perfum. I had my gloves in one hand and she sprayed it on on my other hand. oboy its was loud and a lot of scent.. when I got home to the hotel I noticed a wonderful smell on my gloves - blue grass.. this wonderful- and powerful scent is best to spray in the air and then walk into. it stays on forever and its a deep, sensual superwoman-ish scent.. Lovely. lovely, lovely- but its for a woman that likes to take her space in room, for the woman that wants attention. =)

guest_LeeLee

Did the description change on this one? I remember more detail about the notes provided previously...Please bring back the long description! Also, I believe that I read once that this perfume was originally introduced much earlier -- perhaps 1939? Is this a new formulation?

moly
moly

I tried it today and for the first time I would like to wash the scent off me. I guess that on the right skin it should smell beautifully, but I can feel only lavender in an overpowering amount, even after few hours. I can't find anything green and fresh. Definitely not for me.

guest_Guest
guest_Guest

My grandmother wore this when I was a kid and it always reminds me of her. It's comforting to me.

guest_LeeLee

I just fell in love with this today. The lavender and lily were absolutely unique and enchanting to me. Calming. Smelled so fresh - with a fresh cut quality that evolved into a fresh powder on me. On a hot day with the convertible top down it was heavenly. Noticed it surrounding me now and then for a few hours when I was walking around, so it was fairly strong. Found myself sniffing my hand again and again and smiling. I think my feelings on this one will depend on my mood. It stands out from my usual tastes...

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

I found this to be Beutifull "white" scent. Also I take this to be a classic Lady like perfume. I Love this. Definitely I do recommend this one to those who give apreciation to classic perfumes with lots of character.

cisco
cisco

I have grown to appreciate Blue Grass more and more. It is refreshing, not too sweet. Blue Grass lasts for hours and hours. Now that I own many, many perfumes, I realize the sillage and lasting ability are very special in Blue Grass. I think it has been around since 1932 so Arden must be doing something right with this fragrance. I have the body powder and it is wonderful and may be used to tone down perfumes that are overly sweet.

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

It is an extremely aldehyde-heavy fragrance. I bought it in dark and it was a big mistake as the smell was unbearable to me; I find nothing green in it, just tons of powder, I'm afraid :-(
It is now worn by one of my work colleagues and every time she comes into office, people turns their heads...away!!!
I cannot detect any notes on their own, I just get headache every time I detect it on someone else :-(

KalmiaB
KalmiaB

I'm well over 60 and received a first bottle of this in the late forties. Unless, by saying 1989, it's been reformulated or reissued?

It's perfect for summer. Come September, it's Memoire Cherie again for EA revenue. Fragrance clerks could set their clock by it, so I heard.

spookyjan
spookyjan

i used this perfume in my early 20s an it was a lovelysmell,i purchased it recently an i dont know why but its different,an not in a good way.the first spray is petrol fumes coming atraight at ya,this was always the case but as opposed to in early 80s this smell now stays with you,its just a weaker version of the lovely perfume that was..do they think we dont notice they have changed it,so annoying.just cant wear it any more.its fairly cheap here in uk now,but soooo not worth it.

barbaraloffredo
barbaraloffredo

Nuppu has nailed it for me on this one. But unlike Nuppu, who is obviously a knowledgable and avid collector of fragrances, I am not. I like to make my choice, stick with it and move on to other things. Less for me to worry about. There are so many choices to make these days, and I am not interested in confusing myself. I choose things that become classic to me and remain faithful. (Think Levi 501's). Besides, I cannot afford to collect things.

I have chosen Blue Grass as my signature scent recently. I noticed it first when I was in my twenties and a co-worker used the deodorant. She gave me a ride to work every morning and I loved the way she smelled. Getting into her car and inhaling her scent was a great start to each work day.

seventh
seventh

I think that the first Bluegrass is from 1934 not late 80s. I have different oppinion about tuis. My ex loved it, and me I am not sure. It is deffinately not my favorite but there is something about it and it surely not for everyone. A hint of synthetics in it makes it a bit harsh while the lasting power and the silage is extra strong. I don't think it is for young girls and office wear but it does suits wearing it in spring or summer. Never the less you should never overspray it as many do. that is a bit mistake. This one should be wared just a little bit and to be discoverd from close presence

beautyinthemundane
beautyinthemundane

Smells like smoke and disinfectant. For a similar experience, attend a barbecue in a public toilet. Actually, the base notes are okay, but still smell like cheap soap or hand cream. Sorry, but I have no idea why anyone would want to smell like this! My mother is in her 60s and agrees, so it's not an age thing for me, I just think it's deeply unpleasant.

Tazmadshopper
Tazmadshopper

Thanks, BlueRuby for putting my thoughts into words - I thought the starting fragrance was like economy washing up liquid - but hotel soap is a much better description. Also agree you have to have 'the right skin' I love this scent on others but it is ghastly on me. The scent I bought was EDP - maybe I am simply not an EDP person? My bottle was cut price - so I'd say it is an interesting buy just to sample but don't risk big bucks on it!

Habiba
Habiba

I found this fragrance quite boring. Another i dislike is her green tea. But i love red door velvet!

It doesn't smell at all like it used to.
In fact i've noticed that many perfumes smell different each time i get a new botle. Poison Tendre by Dior is another one that they have changed, don't they think that we're going to notice!???.
Blue Grass did used to smell really beautiful but now it's nothin like it used to be.

livingdedgrl
livingdedgrl

i only has this because my mother use to use it all the time when i was little and she received from my grandmother. not something i would purchse myself, but nonetheless, i do like it.

guest_angel
guest_angel

One of the most intoxicating scents ever, for me - if it works on your skin it's absolutely heavenly, like olfactory crack! I try not to wear it too often because I just spend all day smelling myself and having mini-orgasms. ;-)

Seriously, a glorious, ultra-feminine scent on the right skin, and totally unique. There's simply nothing else like it.

liquidiridium
liquidiridium

I like it cuz it was my grandma's favorite & it reminds me of her. Am I the only one who smells lily of the valley in this?

milena
milena

I had this perfume, did not like it nor hate it.I like old fashion perfumes but some how this perfume just didn t do a thing for me.On my skin it smelt synthetic,though the dry down lightly powdery.

moonruby
moonruby

*COUGHS*

I can see why this is such a classic but it heavily reminds me of old fashioned fancy hotel soap and pot pourri.

It's friendlier as an air freshener than on a person.

Natalia78
Natalia78

Favourite perfume of Marlena Dietrich cannot be wrong. Very fresh and feminine, almost on chypre fragrance verge, Strong and long lasting. Friendly classic.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

I knew someone a while back who loved Blue Grass and had worn it since high school Aldehydic scents are definitely not my thing- but on her, Blue Grass was exquisite- green, lavender and lovely. like it was specially made for Donna. Her exboyfriend always gave her a bottle for her birthday. I haven't seen Donna in seversl years but I suspect she still smells wonderful in her Blue Grass!

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

It's one of the best perfume which I suppose can use both - woman and man. this perfume reflects the spirit of 1934, the spirit of ART DECO era. very retrospective romantic scent , which emits the nostalgia for past retro time....

Vivi
Vivi

I had a bottle of this when I was younger. It was not one of my favorites. Too much of something & just too strong. Maybe too complicated. I liked parts of it, but couldn't tell what they were.

Malegria
Malegria

You have to go really easy on it, otherwise it would not talk to you. It is grassy and heavy and almost masculine, that lavender leaves are quite potent and you can not miss them! In my opinion, it is a kind of a scent that would make a young woman appear more mature, and the mature women appear younger.It was one of Marlene Dietrich`s faves, and that lady sure knew how to look classy!

shelpen
shelpen

I finally found it: the smell they use in public restrooms - I give you Blue Grass. Why such a name??? For this weird cacophony of flowers and powder? Why?
Beside the obvious association, this fragrance is very potent and (as follows) quite "old ladysh"...
Shame!

nutty_kitten
nutty_kitten

I love Blue Grass because it cheers me up on miserable days and people always comment that I smell so nice when I wearing this. It is a timeless perfume.

Cyberlady
Cyberlady

I wore this many years ago and liked it a lot. I am determined to find it to try it again, I hope I am not disappointed.

MondeoGirl
MondeoGirl

Classic, Green, fresh, powdery. Perfect for summer.

I've never discovered anything that smells even remotely like this perfume.

Nuppu gives a great description.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

What a great scent! I remember this one from my youth- my great-grandma wore this. It is warm prairie grasses and powder. This smells vintage, but in a good way- it smells like bottled good memories and sunshine!

ydee
ydee

Have had this, but it is so long ago, only remember I liked it.
Green fresh scent, would love to smell again befor I buy again but can't find it in my shops to try.

I bought a mini to try again, no it isn't the same as in 1975 when I liked it. Too much aldehyde I do not like anymore and spices are not for me. I will not re-add it to my collection.

Nuppu
Nuppu

I was intrigued by Blue Grass, how does smell dewdropsy hayfields in 1934? Well, quite nice I must say. Clean, slightly powvery floral with a hint of lavender at first. Luckily lavender fades, 'cause I do think it's better for linencabinet or garden, than on people.

This is non-offensive babybowder, clean laundry scent for people who don't want "citrus attack" or tea & fruits in their fresh scents.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.