Designers » D E » Floral Fruity « Groups

Red Door Shimmer Elizabeth Arden for women

Red Door Shimmer Elizabeth Arden for women
dislike

The edition arriving in the beginning of August 2008 is Red Door Shimmer. It is created in red-gold colour scheme with balloons, which play both on the bottle and on the box.

The perfume was created by Clement Gavarry, perfumer of the Fragrance & Flavors house. He enriched the perfume with notes of Japanese pear, combined with yuzu leaves, blackberry and pink pepper in the top. The heart incorporates gardenia, Casablanca lily and peony. The base notes introduce tonka, red amber, musk, sandalwood and vetiver.

Red Door Shimmer arrives as 50 and 100ml edt, and as 200ml shimmer body lotion. This is a limited edition.

Pink Pepper Pear Blackberry

Peony Gardenia Casablanca Lily

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Musk Vetiver Red Amber

Red Door Shimmer Fragrance Reviews

candyaddict
candyaddict

I can say that it is completely different than the original Red Door, which is why I expected to like it. It reminds me so much of Chanel's Chance. Pink pepper is definitely the strongest note and I have found that I dislike most fragrances with this note. I am not impressed with this one at all, just not my cup of tea.

Maddlesbubbles
Maddlesbubbles

Much more "youthful" than the original red door. Very peppery, a tiny bit sweet from the berries, initially it's a bit strong, takes a little while to calm down. I wouldn't spray too much of this on as it can be overwhelmingly spicy and peppery, it stays close to the skin and has moderate lasting power.

hohohosan
hohohosan

if you want to smell like 'too much pepper' this one is for you.i mean really???is it a perfume?no one wants to smell like that.there are lots of amazing perfumes, go and buy them.i sprayed it on my wrist and my boyfriend said'no way!!'. i'm sorry but he is right.

Lextasia
Lextasia

It's a fruity-floral with a bit of spicy and woody notes. I liked it, but now I got bored with it. I have a bottle 45/100ml and it is for swap, so if you want it feel free for ask ;)

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

As it opens it is quite strong that it tickles my nose... it opens with very recognisable pear and blackberrynotes with just a slight citrussy hint from the yuzu leaves.
As soon as it has just dried on my skin the pepper makes it's gentle entrance.
Then the floral notes come out to play with the fruits and settle on an almost gourmand-like base that is mostly created by creamy sandalwood & velvety smooth amber & sweet tonka.
It wears close on my skin and lastingpower is not too great.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

Red Door Shimmer is another Red Door flanker that in my opinion isn't a flanker at all:

Whilst "Red Door" (original) is a Flower-Power-House and "Red Door Revealed" is a Powder-Puff-Peony scent. "Red Door Shimmer" is a berry, fruit, spice scent that bears no resemblance to either.

A lot of berry based scents range from slightly sour to cloyingly sweet - in that area "Red Door Shimmer" is a nice addition to the berry genre since its berries, fruits and florals are nicely balanced with a delicious pink pepper note that takes a bite out of the berry sweetness and makes it pleasantly spicy without that it's too peppery. I find this particular mix of notes a nice and successful example of sweet and spicy.

Berry and pear notes are the very first thing that travel to my nose after I spray this, immediately followed by a lovely pink pepper. Some pepper notes in scents make me crinkle my nose or even sneeze. If you had pepper notes tickle your nose and you didn't really like it, fear not - in RDS the pepper is a soft (pink) pepper and is just there to balance, not to overwhelm or annoy.

In the middle stage the floral notes join but are always secondary to the fruit and pepper. And in the dry down sandalwood and a vibe of amber ground this spicy fruity floral into a warm yet slightly sweet scent with a highly YUM factor and a very pleasant gourmand-like vibe.

To me RDS is a pleasant, pretty and versatile scent that is suitable for office and dates alike. It's elegant with a spicy and slightly playful side that suits most people and situations.

Recommended for people who don't expect a Red Door (Original) clone and who would like to have a *safe* pepper based scent and don't mind if their berries get *tamed*.

Silage is: berries with a bite - Longevity is: a deliciously spicy 6+ hours.

Mary24
Mary24

Use "Red Door",y me encanto porque me gustan los perfumes fuertes y perdurables, pense que esta fragancia "Shimmer" podria parecerse, pues para nada, es demasiado suave, y se evapora como colonia de nenes, al usarla ya en 1/2 hora la fragancia se me desaparece, la usare como un "Splash" diario, despues del baño, o para estar en casa, pero no para salir.Me decepciono, no la compraria nunca mas.

Use "Red Door", and I loved because I like strong perfumes and enduring thought that this fragrance "Shimmer" might seem, because for anything, is too soft, and evaporates as a colony of babies by using it as early as 1/2 hours the fragrance disappears me, I will use as a "Splash" daily, after bathing, or to be home, but not to exit. I was disappointed, do not buy it anymore.

cinsot
cinsot

Upon first spray Red Door Shimmer resembles many other mature floral fruity scents featuring pink pepper and berries in the top. It has been thoughtfully constructed and wears well.

Once the flowers arrive Red Door Shimmer stands apart arousing further interest as the surprisingly gorgeous base pops in spectacular fashion.

I had forgotten how much I used to like Red Door and wearing another quality Red Door fragrance has rekindled the flame in some ways. I simply must revisit Red Door again soon.

RD Shimmer drew a number of compliments from family and friends today which is always a pleasant bonus.

Wow. this one reminds me of Ma dame EdP very much, probably the pink pepper in the top note. Very nice. Not strong, not sticky-spicy, very softspicy and warm. Elegant and Classy. A great every-day-scent. This is a keeper. I can't wear the original Red Door, it stinks on me to be honest, this one has nothing of the originalscent - lucky me.

Denna påminner starkt om Ma Dame EdP - JPG. Antagligen är det peppartonen i toppen som banar vägen mot Ma Dame. Den är inte stickigt pepprig utan varmt mjukpepprig. En elegant och klassiskt kvinnlig doft. Härlig som vaje-dag-doft. Kan bli en favorit, faktiskt.. Jag kan inte bära originalet Red Door - på mig är den hemsk, denna har inget gemensamt alls med originalet, som tur är.

takeasniff

This reminds me of flowerbomb and addict mixed together. I like it and it lasts. I can't understand why these are so hard to get but that bloody green tea and pretty are everywhere which are not as nice as some of her other perfumes.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

To my nose this perfume is a fruity floral based on very prominent wood and musk notes in the base. I’m surprised that it wasn’t categorized as “Floral Woody Musk.”

It opens with a blast of juicy pears and peppers. Very soon after the initial dry down, gardenia pokes its head to the surface. In this phase it smells strongly of pears, peppers, gardenias, and woods. The dry down was mixture of pears, peppers, musk, and strong woods with a hint of flowers.

Projection: Moderate
Sillage: Moderate
Lasting Power: 4 hours
Better worn in: Fall/Winter

I bought this solely on the reviews indicating that it’s a cheaper alternative to Dior Addict. I love Addict and, since I’m on a budget, thought this could be a decent substitute for it. No such chance. This fragrance is not remotely close to Addict, though it holds its own charms on the right person. Recommend a skin test before you commit to the whole bottle.

If anyone is interested, I have a full bottle for swap or sale.

Update: Weird enough, 5 people complimented my on my perfume when I wore this last night. The feedback I received was: "Yummy", "Delicious", "Sexy", and "Soooo Goood." Draw your own conclusions. :o) lol

Update: Gave it to my mother. It's brilliant on her.

dmaw
dmaw

Different from the original, which is spicy.
Shimmer is a little sweet and bubbly, like prosecco.

I found this perfume to be a member of the Cantate vintage fragrance family!
So if it resembles Addict and or Cantate, we are talking about some perfume here!!

takeasniff

I agree with Mad-Lainey. This is a bit like addict. I find all the arden perfumes slightly resemble some other designer's perfumes. This however to me is slightly more gourmand than addict. I cannot stand how every perfume I really like is a limited edition. Can anyone tell me if this will be continued or if it is just limited. I managed to get one but once I run out I am not sure besides on ebay where to get it?

Mad-Lainey
Mad-Lainey

I had a look at all reviews and i am really surprised that there must be something wrong going on with my nose - I feel strong resemblance to Addict by Dior, yet no one mentioned this characteristic, so it must be me :-)
To me - Red Door Shimmer is very much alike Addict.
Shimmer is, perhaps, just a bit towards gourmand, while Addict towards oriental.
Shimmer has surprisingly good lasting power and silage, I did not expect that much from a relatively cheap fragrance.
I am starting to love it, it is a really cosy fragrance, moderately sweet (sweetness diminishes at the dry down), with a well balanced mixture of fruitiness (distinctive blackberry), florals (lovely soft gardenia) and creamy tonka dry down.
The bottle fits nicely in my handbag and the quality of fragrance is truly amazing.
If for financial reasons Addict by Dior is not an option - please give Shimmer a try. To me Shimmer is a great substitute of Addict and for a 20ml bottle of Addict you will get a 100ml bottle of Shimmer :-)
And you may be surprised as Shimmer lasts on my skin just as long as Addict!

twillocks
twillocks

I absolutely love Red Door so I fell in love with this as well.

Being a big fan of oriental florals, or "florientals" as I like to call them; it is a surprise that I never really fell in love with Red Door. It was just too "something" for my skin, though I do appreciate it for the classic beauty it does have...

Red Door Shimmer is something I ordered to swap with another member here "blind". After getting her permission, I opened it (she had never smelled it either, and after seeing the "notes" I was as intruiged as she was) and sprayed it on a test strip...then on ME!

WOW!! A tantalising opening of sweet and tart blackberries and asian apple pears (nashi) spiced with pink peppercorn's zing. Amazing! RDS is sweet enough to be gourmand and fruity enough to be fresh, but nowhere near cloying or saccharine (like most newer fruity-florals can be). This is not Red Door "lite" or even "Pink Door"; the original is in there, somewhere, radiating its classic flower song. Only here the volume is turned way down...but the beat is still present. Creamy gardenia, dry sharp peonies and milky lily combine to create something utterly feminine, but not at all "girly". (I, for one, cannot wait to wear this Beauty!) Here, our heroine has shed her "business suit" and slipped into a gauzy summer shift and let her hair down. This has class and elegance, but in a more streamlined and simple way. The drydown has such a lovely oriental finish, and I think it should be called a floriental-fruity!! Red amber or else the musk and tonka beans give it an earthy almost honeyed sweetness. The sandalwood grounds it and vetiver dries it some, but mostly it is creamy, warm and playfully sexy...

Sillage: good
Longevity: very good
Overall: 4.25/5

I sprayed the back of my hand for this review. After the gardenia fades into the background, I really like it and find this much better than it smelled originally (on paper it had a synthetic smell between heart and base, not detectable on the skin). Like many members, I hate the "for Her" or "for Him" designations assigned by the Industry. This is a great summer evening scent or even autumn daytime fragrance. It makes me want to eat fresh fruit, smell fresh flowers and "get fresh" with someone I really love...the bubbles on the bottle are a nice touch. It is not a "shimmery" as I though it would be, but for Red Door...it's pretty sparkly!!

My mother's signature fragrance is Red Door, and it has been that way for many a decade. On her skin, Red Door almost smells niche. It's quite amusing the amount of compliments she receives and the look of disdain on a posh lady's face the moment she discovers what it truly is, an inexpensive fragrance from the widely underappreciated Elizabeth Arden.

Red Door Shimmer was designed to be a limited edition, holiday flanker with fruity accords. I wouldn't say it's any fruitier than Red Door Revealed, however it is vastly different to the original.

I'm quite intrigued by Red Door Shimmer. It goes on rather elegant and smooth, with an interesting sense of maturity and style. The pink pepper and blackberry blend in the top notes, makes me think of mulled wine.

Instead of a rich and tarty rose note, which is found in the original Red Door, peony tends to feature. The somewhat peppery floral notes become quite addictive over time, however it's a scent to get used to.

I like Red Door Shimmer because it has a distinguishable 'bite' to it. It's a fairly confident and bold fragrance, very much along the lines of the original which can either be loved or hated. When the jammy, peppery opening fades, the heart, (which is mostly a feminine blend of peony and musky lily), balances the fragrance out to something less in-your-face.

The drydown is quite musky with hints of oriental amber and tonka bean. All in all, Red Door Shimmer is a little bit delicious.

I knew about this release a few years ago, however it wasn't until recently that I found it, hidden away in some small chemist. I promptly bought it for my mother for Christmas, and while it's not replacing Red Door anytime soon, it has proved to be a nice alternative for warmer weather and days when spicy scents are desirable.

icekat
icekat

Shimmer is like a beautiful glass of champagne served with delicious fruit-berry dessert. It is sparkling with life, joy and playfulness. I could see it at the cocktail party, perhaps at the New Year Party where there is a lot of socializing and fun.

The opening is a delicious fruit-berry mix. I just love it. I think pear gives it this elegant and chic touch. We have florals at the heart but I continue feeling the fruity-berry mixture intertwining with florals in a very tasty and cute way. The lily comes first right after the opening but then gardenia with peony show up. I like this multi-stage appearance. Lily is not overpowering. It gives a chance to gardenia to shine. Unfortunately I do not find the base notes very interesting. The dry down seems to carry the resemblance of heart notes with vetiver and maybe a touch of musk.

The bottle with festive golden bubbles and the name “Shimmer” suits this fragrance so well. I have the original “Red Door” but the “Shimmer” has very little to do with the original “Red Door”.

I know that there are lots of fruity-florals out there but I find that this one is done well. It has a nice balance. It feels chic. My only issue is that it did not last on me as long as I wished. It lasted about 4-5 hours but I do not mind re-applying it.

beor
beor

I received it as a gift and I like it so much, I think it is tender.

guest_Oranda
guest_Oranda

I found this to be spicy and lovely and light. I don't remember catching a gardenia, pear or peony note but then, I was enraptured by the fragrance itself, which could play through any season as is has enough depth to carry it through the cold and enough sparkle to grace the sun.

nyoka
nyoka

This fragrance smells really good on me.And unlike others say,it lasts on me.I love a peony scent and the pink pepper is like the seasoning on a great steak!!

sharyssa
sharyssa

Got a 1.7 oz at Marshalls today for $14.99 it smells lie a spicy version of Provacative Woman nothing special but the bottle is pretty and festive.

winwenlee
winwenlee

It is lightly sweet and feminine. Interestingly, I find that it smells like Lucky Number 6 for Women.

MoietToi
MoietToi

The original Red Door is not really my cup of tea. But I love,love,love and I say love Red Door Shimmer. Why? Well first of the opening is extremely feminime,lovley and flirty you can clearly smell the pear. Then a few seconds later you can smell floral notes. It's as if you where walking in a garden full of flowers bursting out into bloom. Somewhere in that garden you would find Marie Antoinette and her couriters eating caramelized pears and champange. The dry down is really nice I think I can smell tonka beans.

Mysticalili
Mysticalili

I bought this perfume without sample before. Maybe it was that lovely bottle or something. The fragrance is adorable (I´m a huge fan of peony+gardenia+lily) and I´m learning to love it more day after day principally because I always receive great compliments when I wear this perfume. It lasts some hours on my skin. I wish it could last for days... =)

Malegria
Malegria

I even didn`t want to try it because I was sure it`s just a special edition of the Red Door, that I don`t have much sympathy for.But thanks to a EA consultant, I gave it a try! It does not feel anything like the original mother fragrance - Red Door Shimmer is simply lovely. The gardenia played off very well, it lingers for a long time, leaving traces in the base.My only objection was a very peppery opening -but it dissapeared fast, leaving me with petit-grainy smell of yuzu leaves, saucy blackberry and crisp pear.Then there was long lasting gardenia - not a heavy cloying one, but like a real flower...The base still keeps it`s white petals` shimmer, but the added woodsy notes, musk and amber give it a special aura.When I tried this fragrance, I thought about a vivacious girl that danced and flirted through the night,and when tired, became quiet and shy.

mymlan
mymlan

This scent feels more traditional than modern, but in a good way. The first thing I notice is a spicy scent, which must be the pink pepper in combination with the fruits. After a while it calms down and the gardenia, peony and lily appears in a very delightful way. This fragrance is not very fruity in my opinion. The flowers and the pepper together with the base notes sandalwood, musk, tonka and amber developes a scent for special evenings and nights. Maybe you will need to bring the botttle as it becomes very soft and close after half an hour. I don't think it really suits my body scent but I think it would be very nice on someone else.

Red Door Shimmer by Elizabeth Arden 3.49 out of 5 based on 86 ratings and 28 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elizabeth Arden Red Door Shimmer fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Elizabeth Arden Red Door Shimmer, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Red Door Shimmer by Elizabeth Arden. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Red Door Shimmer by Elizabeth Arden represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.