Designers » D E » Floral « Groups

Black Pearls Elizabeth Taylor for women

Black Pearls Elizabeth Taylor for women
dislike

Black Pearls by Elizabeth Taylor is a Floral fragrance for women. Black Pearls was launched in 1996. Top notes are peach, gardenia and bergamot; middle notes are water lily, white rose and lotus; base notes are amber, sandalwood and musk.

Peach Gardenia Bergamot

Water Lily White Rose Lotus

Amber Sandalwood Musk

Bijan VIP Women

Black Pearls Fragrance Reviews

I used to wear this beauty years ago and I used to adore it now I just found out that my nearest perfume shop is stocking it,i can't wait to go and grab a bottle as it's been a long time since I've seen this fragrance in shops and considering it's silage I must say it's very worth the low price

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

This fruity, woody, warm concoction literally makes people follow me around sniffing me. It’s all sandalwood and peach (but like peach pie peach with warm spices, not fresh peach) and amber with undertones of delicate florals, like a memory of spring when you’re sitting in your warm house with a mug of hot cider, but it’s not just cozy, it’s sexy. It’s slipping off your mink to lounge by the fire, it’s draping yourself all over the object of your affections, and hot toddies.

It’s everything that’s sexy about winter.

Does anyone else get plummy notes from this?

Akarui_hana
Akarui_hana

This is precious if you like your vintage vibe heightened. To me it is quite a moody perfume, some days I would not even touch it while other days I feel like bathing in it. But let's talk about the days when I love it, more like need it actually. I "need" it because it gives me this beautiful particular feeling - I feel like a retro diva, like even I could be one of those classy ladies I so much adore from the black&white movies I sometimes dive into. To me it is a nostalgic smell that tries to pull you along into another time, where women were sophisticated, where revealing too much of your legs was considered taboo, where batting your eyelashes at someone was daring and sultry, where men were charming, wore hats and took them off whenever they saluted a lady. That is where Black Pearls is taking me.
Now as far as the scent itself, I don't know why it is categorized as "floral", to me it is definitely and oriental floral perfume. I smell spices, amber, woods, they give depth to the floral notes, add a certain refined darkness. I only wished it lasted a bit longer and had better sillage, not to say it is a weak perfume, it is moderate, but this would be the type of smell I would like to have it radiate all over the room when I wear it.

The_Entity
The_Entity

This is lovely, comforting, id say a good autumn frag, not sexy scent like Passion, but certainly elegant

Searro
Searro

Thank God for outlets. Since the discovery of my pinnacle perfume, White Diamonds, I've opted to try as many of Liz Taylor's fragrances as I can find, and am rarely disappointed. This one, Black Pearls, was on the shelf at TJ Maxx for $12.99 for 3.3 fl. oz., but worth--in quality and composition--about $35-$50.

What draws a great [classic] perfume lover in about Black Pearls is the clean, powdery scent that resembled Chantilly by Houbigant, yet not as cloying and abrasive as, say, White Shoulders. As far as the peach notes are concerned, they're minimal at best, drowned out by the sandalwood and lady musk accents. It's a feminine fragrance to be certain, but in the same vintage formula class as Gloria Vanderbilt or classic Boucheron.

Don't expect an overpowering amount of sillage; this one radiates about 5 feet maximum around the wearer, and after 4-6 hours, the exotic sandalwood and vanilla drydown rests less than arm's length. But in contrast to some of Miss Taylor's more popular perfume creations (White Diamonds, Passion), the slightly softer sillage may actually be more appreciated by some. Black Pearls does, however, hold on one's skin for about 10 hours--well worth the resale value at your local Dillard's or Marshalls, especially in volume. And the glass clamshell with light golden fluid is an attractive bottle to any refined woman's fragrance counter.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

Hmm, I am unsure about this one.
I tried it as I really like royal bain caron which people say smells similar to this. In the bottle I would say yes, they smell similar. But not on my skin, or at least not on my skin the day I tested anyway.
I found that this contained a note similar to the one I struggle with in Casmir - having compared the notes I wonder if it is the peach? I don't know. But I kept getting wafts of it and I don't really like it, although the peach note in Mitsuoko is sublime. Maybe it isn't the peach, I don't know.
However I do know that some, rare days Casmir smells divine, so maybe there will be days where this works for me too.
I found this to be a lot sharper and less balanced than Royal Bain which I find creamy smooth and gently sweetly delicious. This was sharper, higher pitched slightly astringent.
Things to take into account though - I ate a LOT of garlic the day before trying this - maybe had an impact? Also my hayfever kicked in with a vengeance this week which could have influenced how I felt.

I really want to like this so will try it again another day.
Longevity and sillage both pretty good. I eventually gave in and washed this off about 6 hours in as it was annoying me, but until then it had been projecting and lasting well. I would add that to me this contained vanilla, without a doubt. Surprised it isn't listed.
I will reserve judgement for now in interests of fairness and really wanting to like it!

firstinthedance
firstinthedance

At first spray, I was unimpressed. A pleasant, but unimpressive floral, I thought. Within an hour it changed. Spicy. REALLY spicy - peppery. Tickled my nose. I started to become interested. After 3+ hours, I'm getting vanilla and a clean smell, like expensive soap. Spices are still there, but not overwhelming. I really like the dry down. I don't think the notes here are complete. Other sites classify this fragrance as an Oriental floral with vanilla, citrus, melon, and spices in addition to the notes listed here.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

Mercy! Thank you Thomasania, I received my opaque bottle as per your review and this is glorious! Where do I start?

First with a note - On first spritz I noticed this is very oily so it is rich in actual oil; impressive, then detected a burnt rubber/leathery note that was off-putting. In about an hour that turned into a fabulous, soft musk. I also agree with review above mine. Wrong category. This is a soft, creamy vanilla based, peppery oriental floral.

Black Pearls... I want to bathe in this juice! When I smell this I do not only think of black pearls. I think of black gloves with cluster rings (more than one) a black rhinestone choker, blingy shoulder duster earrings with black leather heels or boots and a fur coat. I think of an exotic form of gorgeous that is over the top, over the moon, yet magically and mysteriously not overdone, and as classy as it is, a bit on the naughty side. Wow. It's flapper juice! I am now positively convinced Liz was born well after her time. Either she really was a queen in a past life or a favorite odalisque to a king somewhere. Black Pearls whispers "Come hither" in every way. Elegant, classy, stunning, sexy but not quite raw or in the face, though the possibility of a certain raw encounter definitely lurks.

I am picking up a sultry, smoky note that is superb and this scent smells highly expensive to me. The smokiness is the quality sandalwood combined with the other notes which smells like a delicious fresh vanilla pipe tobacco; rich, juicy, boozy, peachy, soft rose with just the right amount of powdery vanilla. Just enough. I barely detect flowers of any kind. The amber in this scent is the killing kind; the very best of rich, sultry amber. There is a slightly dark element to this scent that is not sharp at all which I am thoroughly adoring (pepper?), with a warm, cozy, comforting aura that rocks at the same time. The vanilla/musky/amber/sandalwood dry down is exquisite. (Do it to it, Lizzy Girl!)

I do not think "The Current Trend Crowd" could handle this one, though a young lover of fine scents with a trained nose would view this one as a rebellious nose thumb to the status quo; a unique and sexy scent to set her apart from the rest...and good for her! Liz was all about jewels but the name of this scent could also be"Black Leather" and would definitely fit a rocking/punk/grunge girl with rainbow hair and piercings of a certain "I choose to remain a mystery" sort of attitude. I can see this fitting the equivalent of a modern day flapper in that way. It's very there somewhere.

As a lover of fine orientals with a preference for the spicy ones this smoky, woodsy, not-too-sweet or spicy gem had me at hello... and I am thinking the name is not quite fitting yet very much is. Black Pearls is the sensuous of night paired with refined, old money opulence. I mean very old money; the kind certain families will never run out of. I am not the fortunate one in that way but have smelled it many times and this is right on the mark. Somehow the overall symphony is incredibly harmonious and beautifully, softly sexy, and it takes me to a place where luxury is a casual way of life if only in my mind. Just pure glorious. Liz seems to be equated with dated to some but I say... only to an undiscerning, unlearned olfactory. It's fabulous... It's rich as hell but heavenly and I am highly pleased! :)

Thomasania
Thomasania

For those who are looking for the original or the vintage version you need to look for the matte/frosted bottle. I highly recommend searching this version out because it is worth the effort.
I dont know how big of a difference there is in the reformulation, but the vintage is very lovely. I dont detect any peach at all, I do get a beautiful sandalwood in the drydown. The rose and the musk are both very clean and on my skin turn slightly powdery (which I like). It is very relaxing and calm if applied lightly. It has amazing longevity - spanning over at almost 10 hours. The sillage can be quite monstrous depending on how you apply it, but I think this is more wearable with just two or three sprays.
This is indeed a Liz Taylor classic to be enjoyed by all regardless of age. Some may find it a little dated but in my opinion it is simply just classy.

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

I was a little hesitant to try this as i had used the white diamonds and not liked it at all. In fact the smothering blends of white diamonds made me imagine that that was exactly how Elizabeth Taylor smelled.! But i was given a sample of this and it is so wonderful i am prepared to think differently about Ms Taylor's fragrances. This is sophisticated while being layered in nuances and notes. It sits well on ,y skin but does not throw out too much so its beguiling to others but not overpowering. Settles swiftly to a powdery silkiness and is just wonderful. Not too strong on any one note but its mystery is how so many can blend so well and be soft, sweet, oriental and dramatic all at the same time. For any time wear

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

This fragrance by Elizabeth Taylor is a very lovely ,elegant womanly fragrance that is a must have if you enjoy roses and peaches.

I liked this Black Pearls since it came out ,I did not own it then since I was a child and for me perfumes was a grown up thing but when I turned into a teen I could not help but to always desire to own this fragrance some day.

Years went by until 3 months ago, I was gifted this by a family member that she found it and remember I liked it very much since childhood since I even collected the Black Pearl perfume ad that had Elizabeth Taylor coming out from the black sea backdrop like a majestic mermaid.

And lucky for me, the bottle and fragrance was all authentic and the aroma of the perfume is exactly how I remembered it, rosey,warm and sweet.
Seeing the ingredients here, I learned what was in it and Black Pearls has notes that I enjoyed in fragrance and I can tell this perfume has very good quality rose and peaches
, it does have a light powdery note but nothing cheap or offending. it last a good amount of hours, on my chemistry lasted 5 hrs tops. The fragrance is a very womanly ,bold and beautiful scent that cast a "loveliness" serenity about you , I gotten good warm complements in my recent outing at a art opening and inauguration party and people couldn't not help but to give me hugs and just inhale me sweetly.

The opening is very sweet but just let it touch the air or get mixed in your body chemistry and it do its magic,
Its a very sweet womanly fragrance with touches of powder musk that creates a soothing serene feel to it, specially when the wind carries your scent mixed with this perfume into the air, blowing a sweet mysterious scent upon mortal men and woman, that cant resist the mermaids spell and take them to you, the source of their beating hearts.

Frankly this perfume isn't ment for everyone these days, since its a happy and loving grown up scent with a lot of confidence in its womanly power but in a serene way, I don't recommend this to women who are "little girls" for Black Pearls is very womanly for their infantile taste and may call this a "old lady" fragrance as they feel their clock ticking louder and their winkles grow longer like ivy vines, it could cause a haunting effect on such a mind, so stay away baby jane .

For the"androgynous" to "sporty" types of women I don't recommend this unless you want to get in touch with a soft but bold serene energy then this is your perfume.

Im happy to have been gifted this precious perfume, I love the bottle shape of the shell and the fragrance is so warm,loving and beautiful.

R.I.P our Piscean diva Elizabeth Taylor & and Viva the house of Elizabeth Taylor .

peachypixie

Update

This is not a fruity perfume AT ALL, but boozy, warm, womanly. It does smell a bit old-fashioned, dated even. I could see that argument for sure. But I still like it and I'm 21, but stay away if you're attracted to the peach note. It's bourbon, expensive leather, rose, and powdery amber all the way. Somehow, it works.

chuetta
chuetta

too strong for me right now, i like it but I think i will wear this when i'm like 70. classy

peachypixie

With the price so cheap, I picked up a large bottle of this untested. At first, the powdery leather & amber smell is intimidating. The dry down is actually really enjoyable and smooth. One thing to note, that another reviewer already stated, is that the peach note is actually a peach bourbon.

mhubbard
mhubbard

Not for me. Got it dirt cheap and unsmelled at a certain kind of store and quickly found out why it was so cheap. Out of date, reminding one of fruitcake, mulled wine and all kinds of things that have see better days. I like Bal a Versailles, but this stuff is really pretty bad. Actually almost nasty, verging on disgusting. Notice I have avoided the old lady nomenclature. That alone was quite hard work, and I am 52. Odors like this give perfume a bad name. Friends don't let friends wear perfume like this. Good Lord....

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

As I have stated previously, peach scents are not usually my favorite. They tend to smell "fake" on me. However, Black Pearls used a "peach brandy" note, NOT just "peach", despite the way the notes are listed above. This makes a world of difference, as the peach brandy is luscious and seductive.
It is a rich, spicy/sweet, almost syrupy fragrance, with some pleasantly old-fashioned powdery floral notes and a very sexy musk/amber/sandalwood drydown, which seems to use better-quality sandalwood (or simulant) than many other modern scents. The sweetness is not the vanilla/cotton candy type like that in many of the celebrity scents. It smells "deeper" and certainly boozy, in a good way.
The longevity is impressive, and the sillage is quite good. This was, to me, a fairly strong scent which could be overpowering if overapplied!

boruvka44
boruvka44

I didn´t have a chance to smell the original Black Pearls, only the recent version and even though it is truly demodé, i like to wear it every now and then (usualy evenings, when it´s cold or when i´m exhausted)
It smells smooth, warm and dry, with prominent waxy note, probably from the gardenia. A lot of sandalwood, honey brandy, lightly picant amber and water lily. And dry peach skin, not the pulp, nothing juicy.
Like a boudoir or a cabaret dressing-room with a table full of powder puffs.
I guess i am a total retro lover

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I won the giveaway given by Tomasania. Thank you for your lovely gifts. My mom has this perfume, so I was somewhat familiar with it's scent although I had not smelled it in a long time. This scent is all about sandalwood, spices and amber. I don't detect any flowers at all in this one. This scent will appeal to amber lovers. It's the kind scent that would be the opposite of fresh and fruity. It's a scent that is not easy to wear. I would say you can wear it in the winter time around Christmas, this would be perfect. This scent is mysterious, it's got a middle eastern vibe to it! Think a middle eastern marketplace where they sell sandalwood oils, incense, spices and dried fruits. This scent is strong with good sillage. I can wash my hand and still smell it. It's classic appeal is along the lines of Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. My sister had a chance to smell it and she said it smelled like the hair of the dolls we had when we were growing up. I had to agree with her. I think this scent has depth and development and the dry down is very pretty.

Justine Song
Justine Song

very powdery smell! very very powdery!! I have to say i am very disappointed coz i was expecting some dark woody elegant scent but this smells like box of old out of date cosmetic...

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is dark, mysterious, and is hitting my chemistry in the same range that Paloma Picasso's fragrance did... it goes on - almost as toxic as bug spray smells.

The first couple of minutes of the spray of this is extremely over powering... it almost takes on a life of its own.

I will have to see how this wears on me. A number of people truly love this fragrance and from the reviews I have seen of it, it seems like one that I would probably like as it dries down.

I'm sampling this now - and will let you know.
So far, this is extremely STRONG!!!

--------------

10 minutes into this, a very warm inviting alluring quality comes in. This has spices in it which remind me of the classic fragrances with a distinct oriental theme... such as Opium and Cinnebar by Estee Lauder. There is a very deep mysterious quality to this.

Personally, I feel that I may not be mature enough to wear this, it also has a depth and dimension to it that I feel would wear much better on a brunette or redhead. It is almost a mis-match to imagine a blonde choosing to wear this fragrance... but then again, it may be the equivalent of a blonde putting on a classic little black dress. It is a statement, but I'm not sure that it would be a signature fragrance.

--------------

The first 30 minutes of this are intimidating, very strong. But it is drying down very nicely and has an alluring quality. It is much better after an hour of wear... and could possibly turn into something that I love!

The Final Verdict:

This seems to be for someone who really likes a floral oriental type fragrance... (floriental). For anyone else, this would become a statement perfume or perhaps a perfume that is used only for certain occasions. Since I'm looking for a signature fragrance, this is really not exactly the type of signature that I am wanting to project in my outward appearance. I could see this perfume as a beautiful compliment with certain women's style and appearance. This goes very well with a woman who likes vintage fashions, particularly those dating in and around the 30's and 40's... very similar to the movie star pics of that era. For me, this would be the perfect fragrance to wear when dressing up in a costume from that era... but this fragrance definitely deserves to be worn by the right person who is playing that role on more of a continual basis, and not just as a Halloween costume, once a year.

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

Lovely! This seems more a floriental to me, if not simply an oriental - very warm, rather sweet and generally luscious.

I can't improve on iMaverick's review, agree with it completely.

This is findable on ebay for moderate prices. I might need a backup bottle!

Boozy to the max! This is a strong, mature scent, not for wallflowers. It has a very warm brandyish, smokey, peachy, stewed fruit feeling about it. It has the peachy potpourri vibe of Diamonds and Rubies, mingled with the smokiness of Spellbound, and dries down to a strong sweet wood. I can imagine coming in from the cold and being instantly warmed up with one spritz of this. Suitable for chilly evenings. My review is for the frosted bottle.

BritneyJLOMariahperfumes
BritneyJLOMariahperfumes

Is this still being made or is it discontinued? I love it SDOOOO much and have since it first came out! I would love to get it again if it is still being made.

ialwayssmellgood
ialwayssmellgood

I agree with the brandy scent in this fragrance. However, it had me smelling like a really fancy wino! I gifted it, but I'm bummed about wasting more money.

Aerides
Aerides

This is a very sweet fragrance. At first it had quite a brandy-like scent to it which warmed up after a few minutes into a mixture of vanilla and sandalwood. I found it a little too sweet but it could definitely work in the right context. Good for winter evenings.

saritarose
saritarose

I'm going to wear it with my Tahitian black pearls and a grey silk blouse.

Lkrautter
Lkrautter

This is no doubt an excellent scent, a classic. But it does not float my boat as I find it to creamy juicy sweet and far too rich. Maybe I am simply not a fan of peach. I'm not degrading this perfume, I'm saying it is not compatible with my tastes.
It is in no way not an old lady scent. It is very strong and deeply pungent. I like some strong scents, and many older scents, but not this one. I don't think it is well rounded. It lacks nuance.

rdharmapuri
rdharmapuri

What a classic fragrance! I bought it online, purely based on the reviews here. It is super creamy, intense and something that can warm you up in a jiffy on a cold winter day. Love it much!

Alle Homme
Alle Homme

creamy soft and strong, best for wintertime.

sheridanellis

Got a large bottle of this for a song today and 1997 came rushing back to me. That is the year my son was born, so the moment I spayed it I felt this urge to start sobbing. It was so sweet. So moving, so many emotions I had then were evoked within the scent and released from that little place that stores your smell file cabinet. It is a soft perfume but strong for certain. You do not need much or there is a note that may give you a head-ache...for me that is probably from the Gardenia. This is blended very well. I think watery type flowers (lily, lotus, etc) can be difficult to blend with white flowers (Gardenia) with out smelling oddly like a compost bin, especially if a good dose of bergamot is tossed in for good measure.
I am a fan of peaches...to eat. I don't usually like to wear it in a scent and find it turns body-odorish on people quickly. Somehow the sandalwood, musk and amber spice it down and mellow everything out. I think these were KEY blending ingredients that made this fragrance come together! It all turns into this warm (you would swear there is vanilla in there...and I am a vanilla lover so you usually can't fool me!) and it almost has that effervescent liquour/boozey quality to it...It is a fabulous fall/winter scent I am so happy I grabed this one! :) Give it a try! I think if you enjoy: John Varvatos, Fancy, Tracy, Mitsouko, Burberry Women, Far Away Paradise, Brandy Brandy, Wonderstruck, Samsara, you will probably really enjoy this one! I believe in my Jimmy Choo review I mentioned that his is almost a DEAD RINGER For this one!!! (Less than a quarter of the cost of JC!) Best Wishes this Holiday Season, and Merry Christmas! xo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTE/UPDATE:

I was thinking about it, and forgot to mention this, which may be of interest to some: In my opinion, this smells the same as the scent as I wore in the '90's some people say it has been reformulated, but if so, I can't tell. I do know that the bottles are not the same. The one I received this week is a clear glass bottle with a solid black top with a golden colored perfume...almost yellowish in color. The bottle I had in the '90's if memory serves me correctly, is the same shape/pattern (very Art Deco)...but more of a cut glass. It was frosted glass, and the "black pearl" which sits prominently on the cap was a "pearlized" black...not solid in color. Hope that makes sense...and I hope that assists anyone looking for the older formulation on ebay or online. <3

caiomags
caiomags

For me is a good fragrance, because has a great fixation and it has a strong note of peaches. I like it =)

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

It's quite different. It's very sweet, and smells a lot like rum or whiskey right off the bat. it's unique, and as a young man, difficult to wear... but I can definitely pull it off. I smell a lot of sweetness and peachy deliciousness that is so classy and mature. It reminds me a lot of her Diamonds and Emeralds. Peach is a rough note to wear, but this perfume is so strong and classy. Great scent!

Owltinger
Owltinger

I'm a newbie in fragrantica. Love to read reviews from here to get my blind buy choices.
Today i have just received my black pearl blind buy.
Very nervous....lol...
First impression, it is Tresor junior!
It's just so loudly sweet for the starter.
So I waited....it has gone through quite some changes within the 30min.
Definitely mellow down, flower notes becomes distinguishable. I think lily is prominent.
The base notes is probably what balanced off the sweetness.
It is now reservedly sweet.

To me, this has more depth than Tresor, which gives me headache all the way with it's mega sweet notes.
Somehow this is definitely a peachy sweet scent.
I like it, but have to make sure I'm light handed on this as it is with punch.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

I bought this awhile ago in a two for one sale because the name sounded intriguing. I hoped it would be an oriental. At first spray there was an odd synthetic, almost rubber tire note that bothered me. After a few minutes the peach and florals came through in a really nice way. After a half hour or so it morphed into a lovely peach, vanillic, soft floral. It doesn't remind me of any other fragrance I own. It's unique and I find it soothing, maybe that's the amber/sandalwood/musk base. I think it's a bit formal for me for everyday but with just a spritz or two would be ok, especially in the winter. It feels more like a winter, fall scent, at least on my skin.

yettb
yettb

I detect oily leather but it isn't listed as a note - reminds me of 'new car smell' with a little musky vanilla-ishness very nice and different too

rowiena
rowiena

Like it!, a soft sweet vanilla scent.

girlsworld
girlsworld

Another liz perfume oscar to add to my hall of liz perfume fame. It does remind me of rich warm golden syrup, guess that is the amber and fruity notes, it is one that does ok on me but I bought it purely for my collection and I do love the bottle regardless of the fragrance, for some reason it seems to be better on a colder rainy day, I guess that is a great time to wear those black pearls with the little black dress, which sums up this fragrance for me.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

The top notes reminds me very much of Avon's discontinued Rare Rubies with the warm spices and sandalwood and the dry down reminds me of Avon's discontinued Rare Emeralds with the floral base.

I like this one. Though, it's not one I can see myself wearing a lot. It's a more formal type of perfume.

It has great sillage and it lasts a very long time on the skin.

astamm62
astamm62

I just received this yesterday,.I can really smell the vanilla.Like it alot, it's a keeper for me..A 1.7 oz nice scent a pretty bottle for under 20.00,a great deal..This smells like a cross between Casmir and Tocade.If you like those scents,you might like this also.

exciter76
exciter76

Update: Thanks to Chanel, I just had to get my hands on a vintage bottle of this. It is absolutely blissful! The cloying opening of the reformulation is dashed to bits, leaving the spiced vanilla to run this show. This is definitely the crowning jewel in the House of the Great Dame.
-----------------------------------------
I purchased this blindly, expecting something in essence to Givenchy's Organza Indecence or Cinnabar—thick spices with a little sweetness. Instead it begins with a heavy-handed floriental slap, typical of most 1980s florientals. The initial spray reminded me of Boucheron’s eponymous fragrance. I had had Boucheron already and I was anxious to be rid of it, so imagine my great frustration of having it back in my possession once again. I made an empty vow to myself never to buy blind again and handed this over to the House of the Grand Dame’s greatest admirer, my mother.

A year and many glowing reviews later I decided to steal a quick spritz for memory’s sake. I was disgusted upon initial wearing. I was ready to scrub this off as I did the first time I tried it. It was the Boucheron all over again! If I have learned anything from Fragrantica I have learned to wait out a perfume from beginning to end to see how it plays out on my skin and NOT to scrub anything off. The heady Boucheron scent bowed out gracefully to a creamy spiced vanilla with an infinite amount of staying power. I’m kind of sorry I was so hasty to give this one away.

Pleasant as it is I must be realistic with myself: I probably would not wear this one too often even if I had kept it. There is something waxy about it but it really is a nice one from the House of Liz. Not a fan of fruity florientals? Not to worry, this is strictly spicy vanillic florals with a sturdy base of sandalwood. As with all her perfumes, there’s great longevity, projection, and sillage. Of all her creations I would say I am most impressed with BP.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Sorry to bring this one down - I am a fan of most Elizabeth Taylor fragrances but this one is a real let down. Smells overly sickeningly sweet in the bottle like bitter almonds with canned fruit and on my skin I get sweaty socks mixed with rotting peach syrup - Like a peach can which hasn't been rinsed and has been left out in the recycling bin for 2 weeks mixed with the most fake vanilla extract you have ever smelled. This one is nauseating.

iloveperfume1992
iloveperfume1992

I bought this scent blind, online without smelling because I just like ET and her perfumes and what a surprise!!!! Soft, sweet, warm and addictive with a pinch of pepper and bitterness. Slightly powdery, just a bit. Absolutely not an old fashion but delicious and elegant !!! Bravo Elizabeth forever!!

Goodnight Dame Liz. Rest in peace...

poppy firth
poppy firth

Just received my bottle of black pearl...and gave it a good old blast..ten minutes later.its like a warm velvet blanket caressing my throat, with a field of beautiful flowers blowing in the wind, mingled in with a fire of gentle spices topped with talc..divine and pure class from the lady her self.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

What a fragrance ! In one word FANTASTIC !!!!
Smoky relaxing sweet lilac-gardenia composition. A bit strong and very deep, even dark and havy sometimes. Still fantastic, if you know how to properly wear it.

I don't recognise any old-fashion scent in it, I would rather say it's a special, yet modern. How special and how wearable it is? In that way I would compare it with Angel by Thierry Mugler, although the basic notes of those two perfumes are very different. But I would like to express my general feelings about the caracter of Black Pearls. First of all right mood and right weather, than right clothes and of course right occasion - you must have everything to wear it in an appropriate manner.

I would also add, that if Black Pearls was like a well promoted "the latest, the grates, the newest perfume" of some currently very popular brand, than many people might say IT'S GORGEOUS.

My father taught me how to recognise a good singer. He said that I should listen with closed eyes, so I could clearly hear and recognise the quality of the voice and couldn't be misled by visual performance.
I think that rule is pretty usefull in the world of perfumes.
So, don't think too much, close your eyes and just smell !

And where we stay ? ah, Black Pearls - gorgeous, isn't it ??!!

Jomoves
Jomoves

The trouble with modern celebrity fragrances is that I can't actually imagine the celebrity wearing them. I mean, can you seriously see Victoria Beckman putting on one of her fabulous frocks and then spraying on "Intimately Yours" before heading off to a fashion show? Or Kate Moss tucking a bottle of "Kate" in her Gucci bag before hitting the Glastonbury Festival? And can you imagine Sarah Jessica Parker spraying "SJP NYC" on her ensemble while running out the door in her Manalos for lunch with Patricia Fields?

Didn't think so.

But the ET fragrances do strike me as something that Liz herself would have worn, particularly the early ones. This one is a rare gem, and very unisex. Warm and inviting, I can see the slightly portly Liz of the 90s putting this one on before putting on a black mink stole and hopping into a limo bound for the Oscars. It is without a doubt highly underrated.

It also annoys me that most of the images we see of Liz now focus from her early years. Admittedly, she was a spectacular beauty, but in her later years, even right up to her death, she always appeared in public well-groomed, and her hair done and makeup applied, still flashing the odd jewel here and there. Sure, she was past the first flush of youth and did end up in wheelchair but she still made an effort, whatever her situation, and you gotta love her for that.

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

Bought this blind because i love anything elizabeth taylor and im not regretting it. It sits on the fence between regular perfume and gourmand and is addictive. The first 3 seconds after the spray is overwhelming bug repellent. Once it dries the addiction and smoothness begins. I actually did a double take thinking my shalimar edp didnt wash off all the way but surely its my pearllllllls. Nothing old lady about it and their are good prices on amazon so if you are iffy on her other scents a blind buy wouldnt run you too much

sheridanellis

If you are looking for a delicious fall scent that is addictively comforting, look no further! I also find this to be a much less expensive version of Jimmy Choo's Jimmy Choo. It is sensual (from the spices) and feminine (from the white flowers) and very well balanced. I'm always shocked that White Diamond's beat this out in the market. It is such a beautiful scent!

czerwinski1
czerwinski1

Super fantastic, reminds me Poeme-honey notes.

cleanerchic
cleanerchic

I took a chance and ordered a bottle without, smelling it. I sprayed it on my wrist, At first It was a very nasty smell. Within 10- minutes it dried down to a very lovely, beautiful scent. I really like this one.

daliflora
daliflora

This is one of the few perfumes for women I know that starts with a sweet-woody fragrance which turns into a very charming floral bouquet that is quite lasting. (Normally most perfumes for ladies start freshly or flowery and turn later into sweet woody notes). It is also very comforting and has a very good sillage.
It is however a somehow elegant and old-fashioned
scent, hence I would only recommend it to more mature ladies.

beautee
beautee

Ahh! Spritz once, wait a while spritz again, wait a while and spritz again. Their now I have the different layers of this Sultry fragrance combining and shooting off at once. Now the only thing missing is a Black Silk Lace Lingerie, a Silk robe to go with it and a glass of wine.

I especially like the aroma my body gives off from this fragrance when I follow the former part of the top paragraph.

When I want to be noticed but in an understated way I reach for my bottle of Black Pearls.

madhatter1
madhatter1

Im an ET fan. I never wore but I knew someone that did and it smelled nice on her. Spicy fruity sandalwood vanilla hey those are my favorite blends. My preference would be a light application.. Based on the reviews, I may have to try it on a cheapie purchase.

Aquatic Amethyst
Aquatic Amethyst

I greet this perfume with a resounding "Oh, dear!" Recently, I rediscovered an episode of the Nanny (90s TV comedy starring Fran Drescher) in which Elizabeth Taylor visits and shares a black pearl necklace with Fran to promote the Black Pearls fragrance. I thought, why not explore a memory? So I bought it.

The bottle was lovely (the pictures don't do it justice), but on first spritz I knew something was wrong. I don't even know how to describe the smell--like something fermented. Rotten peaches? Champagne, maybe? Whatever it was, it wasn't for me! It gave me a headache.

I managed to unload my bottle on a very nice new neighbor as a house-warming present (she was thrilled), and told her to pass it along through her female family members (she has many) if she didn't like it. I hope it works out for her!

madameka
madameka

pepper??? or something else,i like this one,good power on my skin,perhaps it's an old lady one ,but i am "an old lady" and what!!!!!

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

I like this perfume. But I have to be honest -- it is a bit old lady, though sometimes that's fun when I'm in a particular mood.
It is warm and reasonably friendly, though not discreet. It is in the Floral group, but I detect enough darker/spicier notes that I wouldn't really peg it as that from smelling it. The sandalwood, bergamot, and lotus are noticeable, but to me the white rose & waterlily are completely lost. It also has a distinct note of vanilla (which is one of my least favorite ingredients -- but that's just personal taste).
Definitely has good staying power; can become overwhelming if over-applied.

I like to wear this more 'mature' fragrance in a bit of an ironic way. Like when I feel like dressing more over-the-top and delightfully dramatic in a counter-culture sense, I love to wear Black Pearls.

this is one of the most awful smelling perfumes, imo. its strong, and to me, smells like black licorice mixed with fragrant flowers. tried it at the store from a tester, couldn't wait to get home and wash it off. this is a headache inducer.

icekat
icekat

Black Pearls is for those who appreciate big and flamboyant florals. It is like an explosion of flowers. The bouquet is strong and at times intoxicating. The notes are not easy to break down but I will try to discern them. The fragrance opens with a joyful symphony of lotus, lilac, a hint of rose and a touch of spices. The next stage brings gardenia, jasmine and waterlily. Those heart notes bring heady floral almost cloying scent. It might be interaction with my skin but it does get a bit too strong for me especially in the hot weather. The heart notes show much better in the cooler months. Finally the whirlwind of flowers slows down to a more quite and subtle sandalwood, vanilla and peach.

This fragrance has incredible longevity. I apply only a touch in the morning and I still can feel it in the evening. I would not recommend it for young and innocent but it is well made perfume for someone who is into big florals. At times it reminds me of a glamorous movie from the past full of passion, gorgeous places, beautiful well-dressed ladies and handsome gentlemen. I enjoy watching it once in a while when I am in the mood for big and dramatic, just like I enjoy this perfume – once in a while.

nyoka
nyoka

Black Pearls is like a well seasoned steak,U cant pick out the seasonings U just have a delicious steak.THere is no jumping from note to note,it starts and stays delicious.All blended to perfection.THe lovly ending is smoky and only intensifies the spices and slight florals.The woody ending is very comforting and relaxing.The only way this wouldnt6 b called sexy,is if u just arent in the mood,cause it is sexy.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I have tried this when it first came out. There was something heavy in it that smelled bad when it was on my skin awhile. Chemistry is important with this one I think. Works for some but not all. It smells good from the bottle but you gotta get it on your skin to really know for sure. It could be used by a man since it's not girly at all. Poisonivyprince has an idea there. Black Pearl like the pirate ship. It's an enigma. I don't know what to make of it.

kbrown7070
kbrown7070

This one is very different from anything else I've ever tried or worn. Definitely an oriental or floral oriental; not a true floral by far. It opens immediately with a blast of peaches, lotus, sandalwood, vanilla and spices, with a hint of lilac. Within a few minutes, the amber and sandalwood come out a bit more for a while, and a soft powdery accord develops. Then eventually it mellows out a bit and turns a bit fresher and more floral towards the end, which is highly unusual. I'm thinking the lilac, jasmine and lotus notes are the strongest.

It's not my favorite fragrance in ET's line, but I'm fascinated by it because of its uniqueness. I would wear this as an autumn daytime fragrance, I believe...not so much a sexy fragrance (which I think her Passion and Diamonds and Rubies definitely are!), but a mellow, comfortable, and, as iMaverick said, a sensual scent. More akin to a cozy, romantic night at home, in front of a fireplace under a cashmere throw, as opposed to a night on the town.

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

I bought a bottle of this perfume at Marshalls a few months ago, for only $10 for the 3.3oz EdP. This fragrance is an inexpensive little luxury.

Black Pearls is elegant and sensual. The top notes are a heady balance of vanilla and spices, with a lot of powdery lotus to soften the spices.

As the top notes lift off, the spice fades, leaving soft florals, powder, and the lingering comfort of vanilla. The bergamot adds freshness and a shade of bitterness to the dry down as well, so the florals aren't overly strong or too bright. It's quite well-balanced, and becomes more so the longer it wears.

Black Pearls is a very feminine, soft, smooth and warm scent. I think this would be best for evening wear, and for cooler seasons.

Tala
Tala

love it. It goes on nice and the dry down is absolutely lovely. Spicy and sweet, floral and powdery all together. Just perfect. The dry down is peachy sweet honey and amber. Lovely and unique.

sharyssa
sharyssa

Sweet and heavy something in this doesn't sit right with me it is like bland and sweet and woodsy powdery not my cup of tea.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

I absolutely love this scent! To me it is very sugary but in a way that is complementary to my tastes. It reminds me of sugar cookies. I just love this scent.

melo_dramatiko
melo_dramatiko

i like it,mature,elegant.but rare in shops.why?ohhh yes..people prefere most CD,Chanel so on...

PRALINE210
PRALINE210

I bought this scent online without actually smelling it (was attracted by the ingredients..and the price!) I use it in the evening in winter. It's not my favourite fragrance in the El.Taylor collection .The initial spicy scent is a real surprise - really sharp for my nose. I would have thought it was a perfume suitable for the older lady had the initial scent lingered longer. But it doesn't, thankfully for me. The perfume becomes warmer and the spicy base notes are delicate; thus the perfume improves as time goes by.

I don't agree with the floral description given to this scent - I would describe it as woody spicy due to its rather marked spicy elements.

renneyg007
renneyg007

Not quite sure about this. In my opinion, this is a very soft, dry, warm floral oriental with a bitter/sweet spiciness to it. The fruit notes seem more dry than juicy and the floral notes are delicate. I prefer the middle to base notes because the opening is sharp but that doesn't last. Otherwise the scent is smooth, soothing and well constructed. Not a loud scent but understated and elegant.

CaraMia
CaraMia

Wow! I bought my first also, just a day later. I have been resisting this one for a long time but took the plunge.

It really is an amazing scent and if it had a more chi-chi designer it would fly off the shelves and afficianados would crown it queen. Or king as this one could definitely be worn by a man.

I have to agree about the slightly bitter spice notes that meld with the sandal and florals and that just adds to the mesmerizing quality of the scent. Bitter is "in" and ET did it before anyone else. I am not 100% sure of the spices, but this has a ginger and nutmeg quality and that probably provides the bitter sensation. I do not get a leather at all with this one, but I could be wrong, I was late to appreciate the leather in Passion, too

It is indeed a pearl of a scent and the prices can't be beat.

Black Pearls lasts for over 6 hours so far) and the warmth of the day has made it bloom nicely on my skin.

I may need a back up bottle of this one.

Poisonivyprince
Poisonivyprince

I Bought My 1st Bottle Of This Today. And I Gotta Say Im In Love!

Its A Wonderful Aroma, I Get The Powdery Tone Of It. the Gardinia And Lilac Stand Out Pretty Good. The peach Is Very Subtle Almost Have to Look For It. I Can Find The Jasmine And Bergamot When I Close My Eyes And Sift Through The Fragrance.

The Bottle is Beautiful As Well. A golden Sea Shell Holding Up Its Namesake A Black Pearl.

Definatly One Of My Favorites From The Great Elizabeth Taylor! I Give It A Perfect 10!

Update: Yes Im A Guy And I Wear This :)!

iMaverick
iMaverick

I really wouldn't consider this a "floral" scent, but more of a straight up oriental. It strays away from its more heady floral creations in Elizabeth Taylor's line. Bottles of the EdP can be had for cheap under the 15 dollar mark.

Aside from the powerhouse floral-chypre of White Diamonds, Black Pearls is another great fragrance in terms of composition quality.

To me this is a smoky (at first), dark and powdery rose, creatively embellished with indiscernible ripe fruity notes--something like melon, and deep spicy notes. There is also a bitterness about it, which reminds me of something of a leather note.

The piece-de-resistance is definitely the base notes, which smells of amber, musk and elegant woody notes.

The EdP is remarkable, although the bitterness of the scent can really assert itself, if not the powdery notes.

There is a parfum version--rare, beautiful bottle, but still can be had for cheap. You just need a little patience and need to hunt around a little. The parfum is the true expression of the scent, but not necessarily stronger. The floral nuances can be smelled better, and not quite so shocking as the EdP. Both versions have the same longevity and emits a soft aura.

They are not strong fragrances, per se, but they are full bodied and hovers close to the skin--a true sensual fragrance. It's probably not as popular as it deserves, but it is most undoubtedly an elegant and beautiful perfume.

Robynlovesperfume
Robynlovesperfume

I really like this scent. I find it so soft and VERY relaxing.... A scent I can even wear to bed, which is pretty amazing:)

margierose
margierose

I love Elizabeth Taylors Black Pearls.This is a lovely soft and alluring scent. Your guy will love it too.

tangledvines
tangledvines

I found a bottle of this at Ross and decided to buy it "scent untested" since it was a heck of a deal. I shouldn't have. It doesn't smell good on me at all. The smell reminds me of Tic Tac breath mints combined with an old antique odor. Not a good mix. Maybe this would smell nice on somebody else.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

This sounds yummy- and I want to try it-but I can't find Black Pearls anywhere. Usually, the stores which carry Elizabeth Taylor have Passion and White Diamonds.

sjanira
sjanira

I like the bottle and the smell. It's soft vanilla with some spicy mixed in. I like it better than her white Diamonds. Why you ask? this one is more modern, less strong and not so mature.

Black Pearls by Elizabeth Taylor 3.66 out of 5 based on 236 ratings and 75 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elizabeth Taylor Black Pearls fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Elizabeth Taylor Black Pearls, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Black Pearls by Elizabeth Taylor. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Black Pearls by Elizabeth Taylor represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.