Designers » D E » Oriental Floral « Groups

Diamonds and Rubies Elizabeth Taylor for women

Diamonds and Rubies Elizabeth Taylor for women
dislike

This floral – oriental fragrance, launched in 1993, was designed by the famous Russian Sophia Grojsman. Top notes consist of peach, red rose, cyclamen and bitter almond tree. The heart seduces with juicy and sweet jasmine, orchid, heliotrope and rose touched by the spices, along with passionate ylang-ylang and lily-of-the-valley. The base is composed of amber, cedar, powdery vanilla, benzoin, sensuous musk and warm milky sandalwood.

Lily Red Rose Almond Wood Peach Lilac

Metallica (Metalys)

Diamonds and Rubies Fragrance Reviews

kareembrightman
kareembrightman

J'ai le parfum Metalys de Guerlain ( nouvelle formulation ) acheté sur les champs Elysée a Paris et ils ont quasiment la meme odeur. Diamonds and Rubbies cependant a une touche un peu plus orientale

firstinthedance
firstinthedance

On me this is just spiced roses. I can't really pick out the other notes. It is pleasant, but kind of boring. I don't think I like it enough to wear it often. I'll probably give it away. I prefer Black Pearls and Diamonds and Emeralds.

LeahJane1972
LeahJane1972

Diamonds and Rubies is ever changing on me. She starts of strong and unpleasant, like sour fruit and powder, but it is only the first couple of minutes. Then she morphs into cherry syrup that is in your face for about ten minutes. Finally, she calms down, getting her true spicy, creamy identity out, the fruity notes tamed to a mild hint. This lingers for hours until she mellows to a smooth vanilla/sandalwood. She starts off annoying, then crazy, then mysterious and fascinating, and finishing off gentle and sweet.
I like her.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

I LOVE this fragrance! Oh Dear Liz, what have you done? You make a fool of everyone without being here or trying... and your fragrances are as your finest gemstones. It's called Rubies but if red velvet had a scent this would be it; just like soft, deep red velvet.

Diamonds and Rubies is not a sparkly, bubbly champagne. It is a fine, red wine and by that I do not mean aged as for overall scent. I detect mostly cinnamon and clove rounded out and subdued by a beautiful powdery and elegant rose. There are good roses and bad roses in perfume. Diamonds and Rubies is a fine rose; the perfect rose subdued by rich, warm spices and premium silky powder. Rich, soft, classy, divine.

I have no idea why some people connect powdery with being old. It makes no sense powdery perfume should be equated with "women over 40". What? Shall we add mothballs, musty 'ol attics and Depends Undergarments with that also? That entire concept is just silly and absurd. A beautiful smell has no age. Besides, babies wear powder but this is no scent for a baby, child or girl/woman. It is refined and sophisticated, incredibly soft and intensely gorgeous.

D&R has a high quality essence to it which does not surprise me. So far, I have sampled five of Liz's fragrances and have been disappointed in none of them. There were two that did not make my favorites list but I would still wear. I cannot say they were bad. Liz knew what genuine glamour and quality was about and her fragrances attest to that. Her scents are almost as fine as the jewels she loved and as the first celebrity perfume "designer" she definitely knew what she was doing.

I find it sad many younger noses of our current society are trained by current trends to think women should smell like Fruit Loops and Jolly Ranchers and if not the smell is "old" because it is not "now". It would be unfair and not nice to say fragrances which use candy and fruit as primary notes should be called "Love Tinkerbell" and recommended for those under forty.
There is a term called "classic". Diamonds and Rubies is a gorgeous, delightful, sexy fragrance and it is a classic. Love it or hate it, it does fall into that rare, coveted category. (Based on a blind buy)

Thank you, Elizabeth. :)

HyacinthBucket
HyacinthBucket

If you can get past the initial blast of cherry cough syrup it mellows to a pleasant and powdery spiced rose. This is a mature fragrance for a bold woman. Definitely not for wallflowers or little girls. No candy bling here. I imagine Liz wearing a fragrance of this type when she made Cleopatra. It is a fragrance that could easily have come from the era of Hollywood epics.

lolitajade
lolitajade

Hey, actually, I think this smells like Eternity with a slightly smoky rose edge. Eternity dated, but this is like a sexy vixen.............

HopeFloats72
HopeFloats72

"If I sent a rose to you for every time you made me blue
You'd have a room full of roses
If I sent a rose of white for every time I cried all night
You'd have a room full of roses..."

Mickey Gilley recorded this song way before this fragrance was ever produced, but it's the perfect song for it. I layered this with de la Renta's Roseamor, which is sweeter and bit more "tender" than D&R. D&R is best described as a fleshy, dew-covered rose bouquet, perhaps accented with freesia and lillies. On me, though it is straight up deep red, hugely petaled roses. I chose to layer it with the de la Renta to give it more dimension, and it was a wonderfully warm and floral combination. One of my co-workers said standing next to me was like walking through an English garden! (It was a compliment). Even as the day progresses, the flowers anchor this juice...there is some amber, some spice but their very subtle and unless my nose is right up on my wrist they're hardly noticeable. I love florientals, I love orientals in general, but this floral for me is a gorgeous break from those (even though it's classified as a floriental) as on me it's a straight up floral.

I really love it. It makes me feel feminine and demure, with a little bit of sexy thrown in for good measure.

If anyone wants to shed themselves of their bottle, hit me up...I'm game.

aqua76239
aqua76239

Back in early 90s I used to sell fragrances and I remember smelling this and liking it, in my memory it was sweet floral oriental. When I saw this at discount retailer I decided to give it a go.
Alas, my taste must have changed because now I don't like it at all. Its peach, rose and powdery vanilla.
So I would say that its fruity floral oriental.
I can see why others like but this is too "mature" for me and too powdery

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

Warm, spicy, sexy, this is a true floriental, with emphasis on Rose, Honey, and Amber. But, the peach is so clear and present; as in other Grosjman creations, it is a wet, juicy, flagrantly fragrant peach. Vanilla, sweet tobacco, and an indolic jasmine.

And did I mention PEACH?

The peach is a little boozy and vanillac, and the drydown is creamy sandalwood and a resinous cedar. Love the parfum. The spray is kind of harsh, frankly, but wearable combined with parfum.

First, my apologies. Folks must get tired of hearing, "Oh, back in Ye Olden Days, when men were men, women were women, and perfume was perfume. Try to get the real juice in the blue bottle with the matte stopper, ah, now that is some great perfume!" Yeah, right, thanks a lot.
So, I get it,

But.. the pure parfum of this is so different compared to the modern rhinestone collar spray version. And you can find the parfums, albeit in miniature sizes, very cheaply. So, stock up, cause this stuff is great. This is so Sophia Grosjman! What this woman does with fruit should be illegal, but I love it. I layer the EDT/EDP versions with the parfum, and this works great. Silage and projection outstanding.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

My immediate first spray was one of distaste. And that distaste lasted all of three seconds. It immediately morphed into a delightful love of this fragrance. Diamonds and Rubies is a woman's scent, a fragrance of responsibility, a scent of headiness that tells the wearer and the person that gets a whiff that this is a woman who knows exactly who she is-a confident individual who is aware of her self and not afraid to take the World on around her.
I have become a true fan of Sophia Grojsman's fragrances. At this point, I haven't found one that hasn't matched me. I am now searching for her scents deliberately.
The initial spray hit me with peach and lilac and was surprisingly creamy and rich. The middle florals intertwined with a mix of spices and lingered for a good 30 minutes before the final drydown to the base which I find absolutely delightful. On me, it's a mix of musk, benzoin and vanilla. It does turn powdery at the end of its run on me, which is fine, many frags do. Every now and then, a hint of a floral seeps through and reminds me of the flowers in the mix. Diamonds and Rubies is more of a complex perfume than I ever imagined it could be.
I believe it can be used year-round, anywhere, although it's not a go-to-bed snuggly perfume. It reminds me of a woman who enjoys her femininity, her makeup, her sensuality, using her wiles, using her choices. It embodies the essence of a woman. When I think of Diamonds and Rubies, I think of old-time Hollywood stars like Audrey Hepburn, Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe, women who knew who they were and what they did and how they did it. They were comfortable in their own skin. They dressed for themselves because they were comfortable in themselves, and that's what this perfume is about. Being comfortable in yourself.
I just wish the bottle was more reflective of the name. There should be faux Rubies added to the bottle, I think.
If you can, spray some on to try. It's not a fragrance to try on a test strip. You cannot get the full effect on a piece of paper. Once you wear this for a few hours, you'll see how complex and delightful it really can be on your skin. Diamonds and Rubies might just release your inner beauty waiting to come out and shine.

Lakambini
Lakambini

Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Rubies and ET Black Pearls are like a pair of opulent aunts in a young-adult novel. “Black Pearls” is warm, molten, sensual. “Rubies” is the coolly elegant one – impeccable blood-red lipstick, talons to match, formidable cigarette holder, and an aura of tobacco smoke and ash hanging about her perfect coif and her furs.

I assumed this fragrance had incense until I checked out the listed notes: I am probably smelling the combination of cold spices, sandalwood and amber. The spice note is the most prominent note, presiding over a satin-smooth, powdery face-cream accord that is composed mainly of rose, though the heliotrope is probably a big factor. The third feature, breaking surface now and then, is a rich syrupy peach, establishing the genetic link between this and “Black Pearls”. Incidentally, the latter is also attributed to Sophia Grojsman, of whose work I am a fan.

This is my favorite among Elizabeth Taylor’s fragrances: I insist on wearing it, though its richness provokes a migraine every time I do so. Even a single spray on my knees is enough to send me to bed doped up on sumatriptan and with a throbbing pain in the brow bone. When they said, You gotta suffer for beauty, they could well have been talking about Diamonds and Rubies.

iloveloulou
iloveloulou

smells like a combination of peach n orange.. i didnt like it that much.. its ok but not my number 1 scent

Aromatyu
Aromatyu

IMHO: better not to judge from sniffing the bottle and from the spritz on the blotter. Gently spray it once on your skin - and experience the gradual (within the first half hour) transformation... From the "loud" notes (spices and jasmine) to the softness of the rest... A beautiful scent: feminine, sophisticated, and for all ages: for those ladies who love to express themselves through a scent but know how to use their perfume with the careful taste. You'll make a special impression in it. (I've used this perfume only in the warm seasons, so I'll wait for the cold to hopefully continue with the magic of the D&R.)

celebrity89
celebrity89

This is a retro 50's or 60's scent that smells like Cherries and Dr. Pepper. I like it, but I like old lady frags. This one is a "closet" perfume, to wear only at home.

sweaterfreak
sweaterfreak

Sorry to the fans of Diamonds and Rubies, but this one was not for me. I do enjoy Emeralds, as well as Sapphires, but this one was just straight baby powder on me from start to finish. I returned it.

olga.stefan
olga.stefan

I blind bought it due to the fact that the nose behind it is Sohpia Grojsman. I like the powder in her fragrances and their inherent nostalgia. Diamonds and Rubies is exactly what I expected from a fragrance created in the 90s: it s sweet, it s powdery, it s somehow strangely excentric. I enjoy its persistence and its sophisticated aura. I sense something minty amongst the middle notes, which is quite unique, given the flower-bomb this juice is supposed to be. However, the general feeling I get when wearing it is melancholy. It makes me want to listen to sad ballads and remember all the good things that cannot last, lol. That was unexpected and honestly, weird. However, given the price and the fact that no one in my country seems to wear Elizabeth Taylor fragrances, I truly recommand it.
P.S.: the tacky, sinister bottle spells HEADACHE, however, I was relieved to see it was not the case.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

I have a little gold bottle 'lust me' from the 50's which smells like very similar to this. I don't this smells like any of the perfumes I see listed like tresore, sun moon stars. This smells a bit livve civet with with powdery helitrope, a touch of peach but nothing like that in tresore, and the spices smell like cinnamon and maybe coumarin. IT's very vintage smelling. Nice I suppose but not for me.... definently reminds me of a grand ma. but that's my own personal experience. Not the kind of grandma anyway that I would choose . By the way, I love most 'grandma' perfumes. .... Chanel no5, tresore, l'heure bleue, mistouko. Dis moi....etc... but no, not this. Don't get me wrong it does have it's allure, but something just doesn't sit right with me

amelie
amelie

Wow, it's so loud, as most of Sophia Grojsman...I don't get too much of spices, mostly flowers... a bit too heavy for my nose. But longevity is awesome.

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

Well, I put that I like it on the ratings here, but the truth is, I feel totally lukewarm about it. Meh. I much prefer Opium, Poison, Shalimar, or other oriental fragrances and find this one just doesn't pack a punch. I enjoy Violet Eyes much more in terms of this lines of fragrances. It reminds me mostly of root beer unfortunately. I might give it to my sister who used to wear Elizabeth Taylor fragrances often.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Oooohhh lala! This is another masterpiece from Sophia Grojsman! She definitely has the magic spell; if you look glamor up in the dictionary that's what you get. This has the perfect brew...spices, roses, woods, vanilla, and it all equals out to a gorgeous old makeup glamorous boudoir scent.

Sillage and longevity are really great, what you would expect from an Elizabeth Taylor perfume. Old hollywood style glamor,power powdery and delicious...wear this if you really want to feel sexy! A luxury.
I paid very little for it but it smells very expensive;)!

Migalex
Migalex

I bought this a longtime ago based on reviews, mostly relating to its good staying power, plus the facts that is is classified as oriental floral and is a Sophia Grosjman's creation. Well, while it did not disappoint me, I find it too candyish, even though I tend to like sweet scents. It does share similarites with several other Sophia Grosjman's scents, mostly True Love, Trésor and Paris. I would say it is most similar to Trésor, although stronger, sweeter and spicier. Trésor is more aereal and subbtler and the scent is obviously not the same, just relatively similar. But it does also remind it of True Love. I would say True Love is between this and Paris. Diamonds and Rubies is the one I like least, although I am not fond of Trésor either. Well, maybe I like it better than Trésor. It just smells common to me, and I do not mean amongst other fragrances, but amongst the scents one experiences in life. I find it too candyish. And because of that I also find it quite unsophisticated, although the texture I do find sophisticated and typical of Sophia Grosjman's creations, like the ones I just mentioned and Eternity. They alll seem to me to have a common texture, different from other nose's scents and very typical of Sophia Grosjman's fragrances. When I wear Diamonds and Rubies, it just does not do anything to me, unlike the fragrances I really like. What I smell most in it is spices, almond and a sharp sweetness which I do not really relate to vanilla. The sweetness in it is quite uncommon amongst fragrances, is sharp and aereal, and that to me is the most positively remarkable aspect of this fragrance. But as I said, that sweetness reminds me of sugary candies. I would not say it is not a good scent though, because overall it seems to be well structured.

EdT. Warm, softspicy, nonsweet flowernotes and halfsweet fruity notes. A scent for a supercat on a hunt. Soft and yet intensive in a good way. I find it modern without the sugarsweet notes that many modern parfum's got. I think this i a scent for 30+women. Longlasting on my skin.

EdT. Varm, mjukkryddig, osöta blomnoter och halvsöta fruktnoter. En doft för puman på jakt. Mjuk och åndå intensiv på ett bra sätt. Jag tycker den är modern utan sockersöta inslag, som är väldigt vanligt i dagens dofter. En doft för kvinnan som passerat 30. Hållbar på min hud.

maelleinrome
maelleinrome

Yes, I find it very similar to Tresor too, but a little sweeter and creamier. I can't smell spicy notes on my skin, only a lovely, cozy blend of peach and rose that makes me feel more grown-up and confident. It last forever on my skin, and for the price it's a real deal!

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

On me this is a slightly weaker and less violet-y Tresor with the powdery vanilla notes which also make it smell like a weaker L'instant. Shares similar fruity powdered peach notes with Bob Mackie Slightly dissapointed with this one as I hoped it would be a more of a standout love it or hate it type like the rest of Liz Taylors greats but this one is quite reserved. I will probably use this as a bedtime fragrance - I have worked out why I don't like this one it smells like her Black Pearl which I can't stand too sweet peach and roses. I really dislike this one despite it being quite weak and in-offensive.

phia143
phia143

I didn't like this perfume at first but I'm glad I gave it a chance. When first sprayed it smells powdery. Then the powder dries down and it smells like a hyacinth flower w/a lily twist. It is hard to find an inexpensive hyacinth perfume. I know hyacinth is not in this perfume so I am assuming the wonderful floral scent I am referring to is coming from the lily.

This perfume last all day. I sprayed it on today at 12:55pm and its 4:58pm now and it still has a strong lingering scent. I have noticed around bed time the scent turns very sweet like a sugary vanilla floral. I go to bed around 11pm in case your wondering!

Be careful the others are correct a little of this perfume goes a long way. I have also accidentally pointed the nozzle to high on my chest and it gave me a headache.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

At first spray this is peachy, floral, sweet, white musk and clean/soapy. The peach is quite heavy, and I had a sort of plasticky smell too.

HOWEVER, after about half an hour it settle to a more sophisticated softer floral. Sillage isn't huge but this is better close to skin anyway, when it has settled a bit.

After another hour or two, it's very close to skin, but again a very clean smell, with faint musk/spice traces and still the slight peachy, floral, although it has mostly faded by then.

Overall, a soft, warm, powdery floral. If you like green scents or citruses, this isn't for you. If you like warm, Christmassy florals, you'll probably enjoy this.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

I bought this a while ago and never gave it a proper review, well, today I wore it for the first time and I can say I like it. I don't love it, but perhaps it will grow on me?

The first spray is quite harsh and a bit sharp, then it smells --what I can only describe as-- "boozy". The peach combined with the spice notes give it a smell that reminds me very much of Glühwein, but this only lasts for a little while on me.
Then a lily of the valley note shines through followed by a shy rose and a deep almond wood note that settles its drydown on a base of amber-ish musk with a benzoin vibe.

A comfy warm and spicy scent that in my opinion is best suited for winter. Christmas would be the best time since it has a Christmassy feel about it. Festive red wine and spices, cozy fireplaces and happy people (drunk or otherwise ; ) having a comfy cozy time.

It's not my favourite ET scent. I only have three: Diamonds & Emeralds and Diamonds & Sapphires being the other two, and Diamonds & Emeralds is my favourite. It's a wonderful tuberose/white floral bouquet, similar to Madonnas Truth or Dare, but better.

Back to Diamonds & Rubies: Warm, spicy and sweet without being cloying. Not awesome but also not bad either if you're in the right mood.

Silage is: I am having a good time....come closer and be merry too!" -- Longevity is: "Spicy and loud for about 3+ hours, then it's a closer to the skin amber/almond wood cozy sweater." It's a winter-wonderland scent in a bottle, the price-quality ratio is so good it warrants a try.

Re: The bottle, I have read several opinions about the bottle, some negative. To me the bottle is not ugly, it's a minimalistic yet elegant design that manages to convey Mrs Taylor's penchant for gem stones without that it looks tacky or *girly*. It's actually a 'clean' shaped, classy style bottle design that is quite timeless in my opinion.

pugnose
pugnose

Smells exactly like Red Giorgio Beverly Hills but perhaps not as strong. It is pleasant. You can buy a giant bottle for close to nothing these days.

girlsworld
girlsworld

Have added this to my Liz Taylor shelf of fame, as a tribute to Liz I am collecting her fragrances because I thought she was fabulous legend so glamourous and stunning. I personally like this fragrance and it is one wear on a cold day, yes it is a classic smell of it's time but it is certainly not offensive on me, it is just like the gems rubies - rich and opulent, diamonds - radiant and sparkling.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

For anybody who is from Quebec and has ever smelled or drank the beer "La quelque chose", this smells exactly like it. A cherry beer that you drink almost as hot as tea. I didn't quite like the aldehyde-type sharpness in the beginning but it dries down quite nicely, spices, mellow cherries and a soft warm floral. It smells a little cheap to me, but for $CAN10 what can you expect? I am keeping it for Christmas times! It is definitely a cold weather fragrance to me.

Sadly, bottle is soooo ugly I want to hide it in my drawer!

edit: I have returned this one to the store. It's just missing that little something... the notes are too synthetic somehow. I prefer something like cinnabar or coco. And I really couldn't stand the look of the bottle.

If looking for a warm sweet cherry scent I would recommend Guerlain's new La petite robe noire.

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

This scent is all about european cherry jam cooked with the cherry stones , though cherry is not stated in the list of ingredients. I can't smell anything but a very tasty cherry jam! I am surprised that some people describe it as very strong , "atomic bomb"..etc.. It is not! I 'd like it to be strong and project more power but it sits next to skin -very-very close and I think one has to try hard to notice this scent from you. Longevity and sillage are not good.I sprayed 4 times(!!) on my wrist and it didn't help - stayed 2 hours and became almost invisible after an hour and a half. This is bad because I like this warm, cosy scent of cherries! It is very pleasant and comforting . Couldn't detect any powder note in the frag. The concept of R&D in my opinion is not reached. I 'd name this frag "Drunken cherry!))))

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

Very odd. I bought this based on the reviews (who wouldn't like to smell like boozy peaches?) And I did get the drunken fruit note at the beginning, but later I started getting this oddly familiar skin scent that I just couldn't identify. A little sharp. Suddenly it hit me...it smells like a slightly softened version of VW's Boudoir! I love Boudoir, but I've never smelled anything quite like it before. They don't appear to share many notes, at least the ones I associate with Boudoir (carnation and tobacco), so I am not sure of why I sense a similarity. Not a problem. I think I will try D&R a few more times to see if the resemblence holds. Anyway, it is a decent scent in its own right and very affordable.

astamm62
astamm62

It's not bad,But I don't like it as much as I thought I would...This was too floral and fruity to me..But I really like Black Pearls.

akheperure
akheperure

Though it's not the type of perfume that I would wear for work, as someone said, it's really "boozy" goodness, and to me, that's what's so nice about this perfume.
It's like one of those old golden movies such as "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" or something the like... You've seen it a million times but every time it feels delightful and fun, cozy in a gorgeous sort of way... :))
The scent feels mostly woody and spicy to me, with some elegant floral mist enveloping the whole thing...

samx_4
samx_4

I really dont like when people judge a perfume too quickly. They sniff and immediately says 'hate' or 'love'. The perfume works with your body, not your nose!!

Rant aside, this perfume is amazing. Ofcourse its strong so dont sniff yourself after you spray. Give it 30mins. Then sniff. See what happens then.

This perfume is very classic and feminine. I can imagine a very confident woman wearing it with her head held up high. But she also has a kind heart and has a lovely smile.

anniebanannie
anniebanannie

This is heavy, boozy goodness. To me it reminds me of the imagery in past books of very oppulent parties held by the English in India in the 1800's. Oppulent, exotic, vibrant, juicy, summery, but still very classy. I agree with Stella, this smells like a drunken Tresor, just with more spice. I bought this for my mother, because the fragrance reminded me of the smell of her favorite body lotion, Razac. In my opinion, that lotion has one of the sexiest smells I've ever encountered. I've worn it myself many times and the reactions I've gotten from men about it are unbelievable. It smells heady and very womanly. I define "womanly" as rounded, complex, a bit perturbing, but oh so fascinating. This scent reminds me of Tresor in the deep peach and even deeper rose, with some vanilla and amber. This fragrance smells exactly like that, only with a little more...mystery. For myself I find too heavy, and I have a tendency to bring a sour note to perfumes. But on other women, this smells amazing. Highly recommend it.

This fragrance seems to have three distinct phases. The opening is loud, in-your-face, spicy flowers and fruit, and I love it. Next, there is a mildly bothersome note that comes out for me, I think it's the ylang ylang. It sometimes there, sometimes not. I guess it depends on skin chemistry that day. After that transitional phase passes, it settles into a soft, warm, spicy, scent, still retaining some of the florals and peach. Overall, this fragrance reminds me of a spicy potpourri throughout all its phases. I like it quite a bit.

picky1
picky1

I'm very particular about what fragrances I like. Part of it is that I have a sensitive nose. However, if I love a certain fragrance, it doesn't matter to me if it is strong or light. This is one of those fragrances. It's strong and powerful, but in a good way imo. It reminds me of a rose-scented potpourri (and kind of peachy) at first spray. Very warm and cozy, and a little soapy. Perfect for winter. After the dry down, its almost an entirely different fragrance. It's then that you can really smell the lilac. And the price for such a quality scent is a steal. I also agree with others who say its not age specific. I'm 41 and have loved it since my twenties. However, I can also see why it's not for everyone. But, isn't that what's great about fragrances in that they are a reflection of our individualities?

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

This and "Fancy Love" by Jessica Simpson smells VERY similar.
VERY similar.

They both smell like creamy vanilla, boozy peaches and a bit mild spice.
I would label this as an oriental gourmand. I get no flowers at all, thankfully. This is not a "mature" scent, so don`t be afraid of the whole "Liz Taylor - thing".

Sillage and longevity when sprayed on clothes are amazing. I sprayed some on my shirt yesterday, and today it still smells like I just sprayed!

It`s inexpensive, and the vintage looking bottle is very pretty in my opinion.

perfumecollector
perfumecollector

I greatly admire the beautiful Liz Taylor but her fragrances have mostly left me cold, until now. Diamonds and Rubies which I tested today, is a warm oriental fragrance that I liked very much, so much that I will probably buy a bottle very soon.

When I first sprayed it, it was almost a deal-breaker. The top notes are somewhat harsh and loud. I was regretting the generous spray and resignedly walking around examining some handbags when I got a lovely waft of rose. Where was that smell coming from? Could it be?....It was indeed my wrist. The loudness had quickly and miraculously morphed into a soft lovely pink rose, which is pretty much all I got at this stage and I enjoyed it very much. But its the drydown that sealed the deal. Warm, honeyed and golden, very pleasant.

Longevity and sillage are average but for its price, its a very nice one if you can endure the very brief opening blast. Much better than Violet Eyes, which seemed to me pretty synthetic. I think Diamonds and Rubies will be more enjoyable in cooler weather. Full-bottle worthy in my opinion.

Lyndale
Lyndale

I found this page after chasing other fragrances created by Sophia Grojsman, the co-creator (or co-mastermind) behind my all time favourite perfume, Paloma Picasso's Tentations. After reading the reviews, especially the one who was actually reminded of Tentations, I'm going to give this a try. Definitely cheaper than buying new bottles of Tentations when I run out!

The_Entity
The_Entity

A lovely, warm spicy scent, very rich and long lasting. Peach is a note which stands out in this. One of my favourites of the E.T collection

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

I love it, it is everything i expected! -does snoopy dance- it reminds me very much of tabu in the orangy floral feel, but without the cinnamon spiced zesty orange peel in your chinese food that makes you go wide eyed top note. Its more of a smooth mandarin orange feel. It reminds me a lot of uninhibited by cher, but a little lighter on the spiced tobacco and vanilla. I cant see how anyone has anything bad to say about this one ^_^

izola
izola

Intoxicating winter perfume, for real woman who wants to leave trace behind her...

mystica
mystica

This is a big heliotrope bomb, quite similar to Karl Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars. No spices whatsoever to my nose. pretty much a heady, sharp floral. I detect a slight note of tuberose, and a bare note of peaches. I can say this is sweet, but not foody sweet, a floral one. Overdo it and it can make you sick and repel people around. Use it wisely and it could be very interesting.
I recommend this if only you like florals.
The character of this scent is an outgoing, happy, active, slightly sensual, easygoing type of young woman.
This is a scent which I would wear on a day out, at some park or funfair. or an informal lunch on a spring day.

camaral
camaral

Let me begin with one word: Poltergeist.
This fragrance is only for those who are very psychologically and spiritually balanced. I agree with ALL of the reviewers, both negative and positive. I'm convinced that Diamonds and Rubies was intended to be worn by professional mediums who channel the deceased. This stuff is NOT for sissies. Proceed with caution. Dosage is everything- in small amounts it is bewitching, in large amounts it is bear spray.

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

Just received this fragrance (EDT) today and wore it out for a run in the park - springtime here. It did not quite suit the surroundigs of fresh green and damp earth but a lovely warm spicy fragrance nevertheless. An hour later, it smells identical to Nicole Miller - I have both and just checking the base notes they are almost identical. The peach opening is also quite similar with Nicole a bit more out there with the citrus influence. I'm not at all sorry to have both as they have subtle differences and both have great lasting power.

Aubynik
Aubynik

Within the first ten minutes I thought that it was a disaster. But now I can't keep from sniffing this as I'm trying to figure this out. This one is hard to describe, but I actually like it.

I agree that this is very heady.
I feel as if the peaches are quite drunken and they are laden with spice. Almost as if they are teetering on the edge and are about to spoil. It has that kind of intense edge to it.

The vanilla is in the background adding a softness to the spiciness of the scent.

All in all the dry down is very nice. Distinct. No powdery notes on me. And I'm quite happy with that.

Update: Six hours and this smells so fantastic! The spices have evened out and it is now oozing with a creamy (caramelish?) sensualness. I can't keep from smelling myself.

stella by starlight
stella by starlight

i like it. a boozy peach rose and vanilla compote, or warm punch. like drunken Tresor.

FunnyGirl
FunnyGirl

Very deep peachy fragrance.Rather sun-dried peaches. Not plain although. To me it's more like fruity than flowerish. Speaking about spices and fruits (again) it is smth. in btwn. mulled wine and punch - a gorgeouse mixture I would tell:-))))And it reminds of Paloma Picasso's "Tentations".

MrsG
MrsG

I was poking around the storage area in the barn this morning and came across a full bottle of this stuff that I had bought last year on a blind buy. Ach mi réaltaí agus gairtéir! (oh my stars and garters!), one whiff and I remembered WHY it ended up stuffed down in a box in the loft "O At least on me, it's second only to a perfume that shall not be named but who's name includes something about beings from other planets in it in the so-bad-that-even-the-goats-turn-tail-and-run-the-other-way! It was this sonic-boom loud blast of fruit cocktail that was 2 years past the expiration date mixed with wet dog. I remember now that that's the same smell that assaulted me when I opened the bottle new and untried so being stored away apparently didn't mellow it out any. I can't think of anyone I dislike enough to give this to so I guess it'll be going out with the trash...and hope the EPA doesn't come hunting me down for toxic waste mismanagement!

Tala
Tala

Something between Casmir and Tabu. It is intoxicating. Very feminine, sweet, spicy, powdery, and nothing aquatic.--which I hate. Lots of scents have that aquatic note these days.
I hate the other Diamond series. Sapphire... aquatic and cheap. White diamonds is just too harsh and old fashioned. I don't know what happened here??!! This is a very warm, cozy, sweet, and woody experience. The whole day I get a whiff of my Rubies when I turn my head around and it is just the best. I have a lot of perfumes but this is my Casmir. I know that it is the peach, Vanilla and cinnamon which makes these two scents similar.

takeasniff
takeasniff

I got this because I like collecting perfumes. I am not that keen on it. I can appreciate it but it is heavy and I feel sick when I wear it. It reminds me of a cross between Jessica Simpson Fancy Love and Giorgio Red. It is very elegant and ladylike. It has a certain depth to it but unfortunately I feel very neusiated every time I wear it.

reidb18
reidb18

a sickly sweet oriental i was introduced to rubies a few years ago. Note to all perfumers: peach and rose seldom ever work together.

sanziana29
sanziana29

A well done perfume, without exquisite claims. Very cheap.Good for wearing everyday. Elizabeth had good taste( rests in peace!)

madameka
madameka

i loves this perfume (excuse me i'm french ,don't speak english very well!) but this perfume don't stay on my skin.........too light for me ,but i like this frangrance so lovely ,sweet (peach or abricot???)

My darling
My darling

This scent is like a lite version of Sun Moon Stars Karl Lagerfeld. I do not like it! Awful... Sorry!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Well, I have a stately 100mls of this lovely sitting with me, that I bought as a blind buy for a tenner as it's Grojsmann and she's beginning to grow on me!! This is a 'fume that needs sniffing from a distance, not straight off your wrist as it may come off as initially a little harsh. I can definately smell all of the notes listed, especially rose, almond and vanilla. To me, it's verging on the gourmand and though people have called it a 'granny' scent, this could easily be marketed in red packaging with Britney et al's face on it and be considered a youthful winter fragrance. I can also pick up a whiff of the classic 'Tresor' in it - of course also Grojsmann. It takes a little longer to get the softness of Tresor, probably due to the budget but it's worth sitting for 10 mins to get to the mid stage which is peachy jammy goodness.
I think it may be a little heavy for the spring/summer but this is a goodie for cold winter nights without a doubt.
Really nice, especially at the price!! Thanks lovely Liz and Sophia x

PávelHenry
PávelHenry

In honor of Liz Taylor, today I'm using one of the most brilliant perfumes produced under her name, Diamonds and Rubies.

She's gone, but his fabulous scents will stun us forever.

Rest in peace...

Elizabeth Taylor
*Feb. 27, 1932 †March 23,2011

Pierina
Pierina

Blind buy based on reviews here, Not dissappointed, this scent is rich and heady, like biting into a plump apricot from hot pie with a sprinke of almonds for measure.
I was waiting for the colder months to start wearing this one~
~In leiu of tonights sad news I will wear it tomorrow.
I hope anyone reading this review follows suit and wears their Liz scent to say goodbye..

Goodnight Dame Liz, May your jewels sparkle forever xx

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

I'm a Sophia Grojsman fan and love the soft, sweet, feminine sensibility she has. When I read that Diamonds and Rubies was one of hers, I had to try it. As ellismaireg says, you need to let it air out, because when you first spray, there's a harsh, bitter smell. Rose is the main note I smell in Diamonds and Rubies. I also get the comforting scent of tea and honey (as sweetnspicey says, if you like red rooibos, you'll like this). There's another note, not sure what it is, it's a sort of lemongrassy kind of smell...is it the bitter almond wood? In the drydown, a soft, lovely amber is prominent and worth the wait. To sum up: a tea-rose-amber scent. Lasts several hours, suitable for everyday wear, as long as you spray lightly (if you overspray, it may be offensive). IMO this scent may better suited to mature women. I found a 3.3 oz. bottle for $12.99 at Marshall's yesterday that'll last me a long time. You only need a little spritz, cause this baby's strong. I like the tall, regal bottle; the faux diamond encrusted cap makes me feel like a queen. Queen Perfumista Sophia Grojsman, you rule!

sistertricked
sistertricked

I enjoyed your pun. As for the scent, I'm still courting it.

If you are a fan of rooibos tea with milk and want very badly to smell like it, this would be the perfume for you! It's all there: it's smooth and creamy, slightly sweet, softly spiced, and subtly fruity. I smell a lot of peach, but Rubies is creamy compared to Diamonds and Emeralds, which is more crisp. About an hour into wear, I smell more peach than anything and the fragrance becomes very quiet compared to its loud opening. The ironic part is that while I love to sip a hot cup of rooibos, Diamonds & Rubies is not really my cup of tea. Pun intended!

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

I have several Elizabeth Taylor perfumes, and even the ones I don't think I like end up smelling really good on me -- often completely different than they smell on other people. However, Diamonds & Rubies is downright depressing for some reason. I feel like I should be in some film noir, smoking out of a bitch-stick, numb from too much valium, but dressed to the nines. Although that image does have some glamor to it, it makes me feel hollow. .. just like Diamonds & Rubies. Occasionally I still wear it though, when I'm in a particular mood, or wearing lots of black faux fur.

Online

chaton2781
chaton2781

This was a blind purchase, as it was such a bargain. I'm glad I bought it! Unlike other reviewers I don't find it very strong, but it is longlasting indeed. I get lots of jasmine at the beginning. The spices are just outside my comfort zone, but I think the drydown is very feminine and elegant without being too sweet. I might even buy a backup bottle!

skitten
skitten

A definate spray it and don't sniff it for 10 minutes, it will knock you out. You can run , but you can't hide, once you have sprayed it on....lol...

But when you do sniff it, it is really quite intruiging. I love orientals, the more unusual the better, hence my love for Kenzo-Jungle.

If you like the opulent scent of deep red roses,combined with the scents of sugar almond, jasmin, vanillary, musky, in a creamy milkshakey way, which produces an exceptionally warm, sweet and a truly sumptuous fragrance, then this is a winner.
Is powerful and long lasting and nothing actually ( that I have encountered in my perfume history) reminds me of it. Maybe it is just my body chemistry with it, I do understand why not a lot of people would gel with it, but I love it like a blanket of danish pastry.......xx

greengrl
greengrl

This was a blind buy for me but I couldn't resist it since I got it at such a bargain. I decided to give it a try one day and was surprised at how much I liked it. The peach, almond and spices are very evident in this fragrance. The florals blend with the spices and create a feminine, sensual scent. It reminds me of a more sophisticated version of Exclamation (it must be the peach). Ladies please go easy with the application, a little does go a long way & it lasts for hours.

Julz15
Julz15

it is very strong so you cnt spray too much but i love the smell of it

kbrown7070
kbrown7070

I think this is beautiful. I've been picking up a lot of these discontinued ET fragrances at discount stores like A.J. Wright and T.J. Maxx, and for $9.99 for a 1.7 oz. EDT, she has some lovely, complex, long-lasting fragrances that smell FAR more expensive (except for Diamonds and Emeralds...to me, that's her only clunker).

Diamonds and Rubies goes on very juicy-peachy/almondy/spicy floral, which is nice, but it softens and turns into a lightly spiced yet fresh floriental, with the roses, orchid, spices and creamy woods fully developing; I think the sweetness of the orchid is especially striking. It's different; sweet but not in a candyish or fruity way and balanced by the spices and woods. I think it would be wonderful worn in the autumn.

Looking at the notes this should be my number one of the diamonds series, but it is not.
My top is as follows:

1. White Diamonds & Sapphires
2. Emeralds
3. Rubies

GREAT!

Ouch!
Ouch!

This is another perfume I own purely for nostalgic reasons. Someone I went ot school with used to wear it and I was obsessed with smell of it then.

It does smell slightly dated now and is a bit of a onslaught of flowers and spice but I still like it nonetheless.
The more modern perfumes have made this feel old in the way they are composed. But this was still excellent in it's day.

It smells very rich, very floral with an exotic twist. It smells quite powerful at first but when it dries the huge array of flowers in the heart get to shine a bit. Unfortunately this is where it becomes a bit "Granny" as some people would say..

The dry stage is the more exotic part and probably my favourite. It's worth a smell to see how far perfume has come since this was made..

guest_lola
guest_lola

just purchased my bottle of diamonds n rubies n i still cant get the mmmpphh factor i love when wearing perfume.its not one to remember or buy again once its finished,its barely there n i expected something better since its elizabeth,it cud be updated n the notes fine tuned to be more appealing to the senses!!

guest_MissPerfume
guest_MissPerfume

This one is my favorite of all the Diamonds series. It dries to a soft smell. It is not strong, so suitable for daywear.

guest_Kimberly
guest_Kimberly

To me this smells similar to Giorgio Red, or a much softer, minus the spice, version of Spellbound by Estee. I think this might be good as an evening winter fragrance. Also a more mature scent. It is kind of heavy.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I'm a man so my opinion doesn't hold much sway here, but my humble opinion is that this is for grandma, and only if grandma likes the smell of peaches, which is really all that comes across with D&R by L.T.

zbarroness
zbarroness

Rubies are my favorite gemstone so when this was 1st introduced I bought it unsniffed. I LOVED it & wore it everday until it was discontinued. It was a soft feminine smell for me & men continuously asked me what I was wearing. It is softer than than the other "Diamonds" & I hated it when she discontinued it.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is ATOMIC BOMB strength perfume! It almost smells like Tigress from the 1970's except it is much more crass to the nose, Tigress was soft. Ive never been able to completely warm up this fragrance. Not one of my favorites at all!

PRALINE210

I bought this fragrance after I have already smelled two by E T - White Diamonds and Black Pearls. The composition of this fragrance seemed attractive but when I smelled the first whiff, I was disappointed - the floral elements of ylang ylang and jasmine are rather overpowering such that the perfume is very sweet. I simply couldn't smell the spices since the floral bouquet dominates throughout even in the dry down. It's simply not for me I guess.

Robynlovesperfume
Robynlovesperfume

Between Diamonds and Sapphires, the Emeralds, and this one, my favorite by FAR is this one. I just got it after wanting it for the longest time. Elizabeth Taylors' fragrances are very dear to me, and even though I might be considered younger than her typical audience, I actually like all her fragrances, and I find something in each one to appreciate its scent. Diamonds and Rubies is the scent I am currently wearing, and I've had it on for a couple of hours... The drydown is lovely; the powdery vanilla makes it alittle sweet, and while I can't pinpoint what it is that's making this 'cigar smell' within it, I actually find it quite nice and very relaxing too:)

CaraMia
CaraMia

This is my favorite or the Diamonds group. It's a very complicated scent a gigantic bouquet of hot house flowers and a combination of all my favorite basenotes all in one scent.

Looking at the wild number of notes, I would have expected Diamonds and Rubies to be a bit cacaphonous but the blending is so splendid that no one flower outshines the rest and they do not compete in an olfactory tug of war, either. Grojsman makes the flowers "play nice" and the basenotes and spices cheer in the background.

A pretty bouquet to go with your Diamond and Ruby earrings when you are out for dinner. Nice stuff.

snobuni77
snobuni77

Rubies are my birthstone & since I have, & love Diamonds & Emeralds I had to buy a mini of this to try.I bought it in pure perfume form & it is a very lasting perfume.

Although it is a nice scent it is my least favorite of the line so far & only because it becomes way to powdery on me.I have never been a big fan of powdery scents but behind the powder it is pure beauty as was Elizabeth Taylor herself back in the day.
I mean the women got married more then 5 times & was still winning the men over so she must have been doing something right & she obviously knows what smells good ;) I am a fan of the three perfumes I have of hers so far & I am willing to bet her others are just as good.

katyas
katyas

This is a lovely scent with a strong spicy beginning that dries down softly. It takes a few minutes after initial application, but some soft rose tones start to break through the spices - but the spices remain, giving the rose scent a very unique stimulus. Definitely a nice scent and it lasts a long time on me.

dollladie
dollladie

A bit heavy. It's ok.

Diamonds and Rubies by Elizabeth Taylor 3.59 out of 5 based on 229 ratings and 84 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Rubies fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Elizabeth Taylor Diamonds and Rubies, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Diamonds and Rubies by Elizabeth Taylor. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Diamonds and Rubies by Elizabeth Taylor represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.