Designers » D E » Woody « Groups

Nirvana Black Elizabeth and James for women and men

Nirvana Black Elizabeth and James for women and men
dislike

Nirvana Black Elizabeth and James for women and men Pictures Nirvana Black Elizabeth and James for women and men Pictures Nirvana Black Elizabeth and James for women and men Pictures

Twins Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen launch a fashion brand named Elizabeth and James after their remaining siblings, which presents two dynamic, contradictory personalities merged into an outstanding balance - "Elizabeth’s uptown sophistication and feminine detail is paired with James’ laidback, downtown edge and masculine tailoring." They are launching two new fragrances under this brand - Nirvana White and Nirvana Black.

Both perfumes are described as sensual, edgy and mysterious. Nirvana Black is a woody fragrance, dark and somewhat masculine although intended for both genders. It is created by perfumer Pierre Negrin. The fragrance is built around accords of violet, sandalwood and vanilla.

Bottle design strives for simplicity, sensuality, luxury and modern but not too modern look. The fragrances are available as 30 and 50 ml Eau de Parfum with additional mini rollerball edition. Nirvana Black was launched in 2013.

Violet Sandalwood Vanilla

Tova

Nirvana Black Fragrance Reviews

deadidol
deadidol

I recently had to ask some friends what it is exactly that the Olsen twins do these days, and I’m still not entirely sure I know the answer. Their talent seems to culminate in their capacity to look a bit gormless in various photographs. So I assumed that this perfume release, to which they’ve graciously lent their highly contoured cheekbones, is little more than an exercise in “lending their name” to whatever commodity can be hawked to a target audience.

But if this is the case (and let’s be honest—that’s exactly what this is), Nirvana Black isn’t that bad at all. I expected absolute trash—and to a degree, it is a bit trash. But it’s smart, thoughtful and pretty articulate trash all the same.

Although I didn’t spend enough time with the bottle to check the quality, the design looks cool and kind of ‘80s retro-glam. Aesthetically speaking, it’s a bit a hollow throwback—a superficial gesture aimed directly at a target audience who would recognize and appreciate such a design as ironic nostalgia (Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 etc.) But again, it’s not nearly as bad as it could have been, and some real thought went into the production and design.

The same might be said for the scent itself, which is a dodgy Tam Dao-ish thing—a javanol/ebanol cocktail of sour synthy sandalwood with a touch of lipstick iris for interest. It's cheap, gaunt, and probably not well suited for grown-ups, but it's not entirely vulgar either. Although it's got the weird "celebrity blob" effect in there (that sort of olfactory equivalent to GenericMeatProduct™ that invades 90% of these kind of fragrances), it's harder to dismiss this stuff quite so cynically. Again, greater consideration appears to have been given than what you'd expect from a fragrance like this, and I’d even venture to say that it’s “well handled.” There’s little to it, and the materials are "economical," but the blend’s quite solid overall. Ultimately, it’s a simple sandalwood scent that’s very similar to other simple sandalwood scents—but it does the job it sets out to do quite well and makes no real claims to do anything else other than being a simple, textbook sandalwood.

What's unclear to me about this release is the level of sincerity. Yes, it's a mass-produced celebuscent that's shamelessly riding on the back of socialites (socialites who would probably never let something like this anywhere near their skin). Yes, the bottle is designed to seduce an audience that has some affinity toward ironic nostalgia and kitschy glam. Yes, the scent is cheaply made, but it doesn't feel obnoxiously cheap—and probably wouldn't be parsed as cheap by people who haven't been exposed to actual sandalwood, extracted vanilla, or proper violet. But I'm curious as to how much of this is a genuine attempt to step it up a bit, or how much of it is a crass attempt to pull one over on a more focused demographic?

I'll never wear it again—I've no need to. But I've smelled worse expensive niche than this. If you're serious about sandalwood, there's much better available. But if the aesthetic, brand, and approach have some appeal to you, you're at least getting a reasonably solid product here.

(N.B. I guess this is technically a designer fragrance, although, given their afore-mentioned roles, the delineation between designer and celebuscent is a bit blurred here. With that said, whether you're a fan of the bottle, the brand, or you simply collect Olsen Twin memorabilia, the upshot is that you're getting a better fragrance than what all three of those options would usually offer.)

jameskpdx
jameskpdx

Smelled this scent in an ad in a women's fashion mag....OMG loved the scent...but I know better, sometimes scents smell fabulous on paper, but in person, not so great...Well this scent smells exactly like the paper sample. When I placed it on my skin, first thing came to my head, Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Which is my signature scent. After the dry down...no orchid, just vanilla. I am a gay man and that being written, I just don't care for sweet smelling scents, fortunately the vanilla is a warm vanilla. Not very sweet like a vanilla cookie or ice cream. I have read that some people only wear scents during certain times of the year "OH this is a summer/winter scent"...I wear scents that evoke a feeling, not a season. I would wear this anytime...I really like this scent. Does anyone mix scents together? I just mixed this scent with Betsey Johnson's Too Too...very interesting blend. You should give it a try.

Raina
Raina

I'm not one for dark or woody fragrances, but Nirvana Black (and indeed, Nirvana White) seems to be designed around the idea of subtlety and polite acceptibility, while still retaining an edge.

Nirvana Black has some very similar elements to Tokyo Milk's Dead Sexy. The ebony wood is there, but dialed back so that it is a cleaner, dry, woody, yet airy presence. It's similar in scent to pencil shavings yet a bit darker and more breezy. The vanilla does a fantastic job here of balancing out that dark dryness of the wood, without being cloying or shouting 'sweet.' It's all very restrained and polite whithout being bland or nonpresent. It does not have a very loud projection, neither of the scents in this collection do, but it is still there for those who lean close enough to you. I find this layers really well with Nirvana White or alone for nighttime.

ArkangeL

Yes, well the bottles were designed based off of something in Mary Kate & Ashley's keepsake collection. They intentionally made them look antique-esque.

In Vogue
In Vogue

Smells like that classic Chinese sandalwood soap that every hippie in the 70's used. And that's about it, very linear. I think this is more of a male scent. The bottle looks like a cigarette case.

ArkangeL

Nirvana Black & White were both marketed towards women. Nirvana Black represents a darker, sultry side of the Nirvana woman. However, the notes here are totally unisex. I put it on from time to time myself, although both boxes clearly state "HER" within the square of the title. This fragrance reminds me, not of Black Orchid, but of 10 Corso Como lacking the oud note.

gabri
gabri

Very nice and comforting.I definitely don't smell the violet, but this is a brake from overpowering flowering notes.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

This is a softer version of Black Orchid to my nose. I definitely get the violet. It is also reminiscent of black violet in a much softer way. Only a few hours later do I start to really get the amber coming through.If I didn't already own BV, I'd definitely buy this. Well done.

faubel
faubel

This is my edited review, having worn this a bunch more. I think it is absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorites right now. Others have described it well, how the vanilla and the wood play off of each other--I agree with Raina above except that I haven't smelled Dead Sexy so I can't compare the two. But this is soft and sweet but at the same time attention-catching and interesting.

The longevity is disappointing. I find myself wanting to reapply every two or three hours. After a few hours it has died down on me so I can barely smell it. This feels like a cologne or EDT. But it's SO beautiful and unlike anything else I've smelled so I bought a few samples for the purpose of dousing myself with it for a bit, and we'll see how that goes.

ChadEric86
ChadEric86

This fragrance is the epitome of sensual smoothness. It reminds me of dressing in all black with a pair of Chanel sunglasses, walking through NYC in the fall. Everything about this is addictive. This is my new favorite scent!

nebbe
nebbe

+1 to those who enjoy this scent, and to those who like to layer it with Nirvana White. I can wear the Black on its own, or with White, but not the White alone for some reason I haven't quite put my finger on yet. Too sharply floral for me? Again, not sure.

I dig the creamy sandalwood and vanilla. It is simple, cozy and warm. Pleasantly surprised with how well it layers with White - this is my first time layering the two and I am loving it.

I have a place in my life for straightforward scents that I can easily wear to the office, and one to two spritz of this on the back of my neck under my hair works perfectly for me.

Eaugirlspirit
Eaugirlspirit

I am just in love with this scent. It is smoky, deep, dark and dry. It is not masculine but very feminine. It is light enough for daywear, fortunately and unfortunately, because it quickly becomes a skin scent on me. Perfect to keep you warm in winter but also beautiful and versatile enough to be worn in a variety of seasons. I am in agreement with past reviewers that have called this addicting. I have a feeling I am going to bomb through my 50ml so quickly.
There are a few fragrances I simply "love" and can't get enough of and this is definitely on the list, along with Stella, Pleasures Bloom, Infusion D'Iris EDP. Those I've literally gone through very fast-in one season of wear, which is unusual for me.

I don't understand why they don't make a 100ml of this, and I don't understand why there is no body care collection to help layer the Nirvana scents.
This smells to me like a smoother, lighter version of Estee Lauder Sensuous. However, my skin pulls out a weird note in Sensuous and I don't know what it is. My husband hates Sensuous on me but loves Nirvana Black on me. It is the sandalwood note in both fragrances that I am drawn to. I just bought a pure sandalwood essential oil to layer with this!
All I can say is, I absolutely love both Nirvana scents. Nirvana white is beautiful and simple, for its creamy musk-floral cashmere soft accord it creates on me but I become anosmic to it after a short amount of wearing, similar to Light Blue on my skin.
I am going to wait until Nirvana white gets marked down and will buy a bottle off ebay.

This is very similar to my nose to Madonna Truth or Dare Naked....in the vanilla balsamic effect, it is a rich scent, not so black though, like it isn't really spicy, or heavy..it is interesting, borderline unisex, although I find it more feminine than masculine..not something I feel I would wear, but certainly not bad at all.. Maybe overpriced for sure..

arenee92
arenee92

I love how smokey and sensual this scent is. It's mysterious, edgy, and very, very warm. The sandalwood is very prominent, the vanilla is more noticeable in the dry down, and I personally don't smell any of the violet. This fragrance is very peppery, powdery, and definitely not for the faint of heart. I find it lies close to the skin, on me.

I have the rollerball, and I love to layer other fragrances with it. I purchased the spray, and had to return it, as soon as I sprayed it, it gave me an instant headache.

Definitely a lovely scent, though. Be sure to smell it in person before you purchase.

artemiss
artemiss

I love this..it's a simple warm vanilla sandalwood. I can see where people think it has been done before, but to be honest, that is what I like about it: at the end of the day it smells like me.

AmoreProfumi

Oh YASS Hunnie! this was my tax time treat, just purchased a bottle of this after going through my whole sample, OMG! this scent is easily addictive, It's pretty apparent the sandalwood is the dominant note here but that vanilla, oh yess mmm that warm sexy tasty vanilla doesn't hide it's there helping round out the sandalwood's edges. It's a little dirty smelling as to why I see this being ok for a guy to wear, it's sexy, intriguing, a real attention getter, I was so indecisive as to what size to get...b/c I really have enough perfume that I need to go through, but this was the only one on my wants list. So I said what the hey it's only $20 more so I splurged && got the larger. I think the price is a lil steap esp. for just a 1.7 but I'm sure I will use this alot, I think this will be especially nice with layering, I already experimented with my 'Freak Scarab'...very nice combo!, so I'm interested to see how it will smell with my 'Vanilla Extasy'.

I think even though too this is more suited for winter, I will have no problems wearing this on a nice summer night layered with a lighter scent to help lighten it up. Anywho...very nice scent, The bottle is fantastic has a nice solid quality feel, the longevity is on point && the sillage borders between moderate && good, If you love a nice sandalwood scent with added vanilla this scent is deff. up your alley, give it a try! ;D

Overall: 9/10 (loses a point for the price lol!)

Stacierew

Also wanted to add that it reminds me a bit of Lolita Lempicka...anyone else get that? Might be the violet and vanilla...just wondering.
Maybe I just want to layer them. I do think "nirvana black" would be fantastic for making your lighter scents work in the winter. I definitely want to try layering it with elli saab (which I often find too light) and of course, with Lolita Lempicka.

Stacierew

I am almost ashamed that I love this scent as much as I do. Not big on "celebrity scents", though I am certainly not a perfume snob. I had not read the reviews here, when I tried this at Sephora. I immediately said to the staff "It reminds me of Black Orchid!" I am glad I am not alone in that comparison! I love how unique and brazen BO is, but my nose has a hard time taking in all of the notes. It is a complex scent that I want to wear, but find it difficult. This is a much softer and more wearable version of BO, in my opinion. I also got the tokyo milk "tainted love" similarity. I sampled this, wore it for about two hours, then returned to the store to buy the bottle. It is pretty delicious, a little dirty, and definitely a sexy scent. I will be curious to see how long it lasts on my skin.

GarnetMoon
GarnetMoon

My signature scent is sandalwood and I have to say that I am glad these young ladies got it right. The sandalwood is the base scent and it lasts all day. It is difficult to find a women's fragrance that has a woody scent. I don't do florals or citrus/fruit. These don't fit my personality. Great job, ladies!

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

One of my new favorites. Yes, this does smell like Tom Ford Black Orchid but only BO's dry-down stages. If you love Tom Ford BO but you don't like it's harsh opening, try this one on for size.

This opens up smelling of woods and vanilla and dries down to a very soft and subtle woods scent with just a hint of vanilla. It's extremely soft so I'm continuously re-spraying throughout the day. When layered with Nirvana White it turns into a sparkling, woody floral. Like a sparkling sandalwood wine.

I do really enjoy this scent but for $75, which is DESIGNER price and not celeb price, I don't expect it to be this weak. I literally DOUSE myself in this puppy and it stays weak. I hope they bring out a body cream. It does last but it stays extremely close to the skin. For these reasons I wouldn't repurchase this at full price. It would have to drop 30+ bucks for a repurchase! LOVE the bottle, though!

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Dark and peppery. The sandalwood here is dry not sweet, thus too peppery for me. Yet I am drawn to it. I find myself wanting to sniff the scent again but not up close. The vanilla softens it without any sugar - more of a cashmere hug than a sweet treat. The violet is fleeting and almost undetectable. Maybe because it's winter right now and am wishing for spring so I prefer the Nirvana White even though I find it somewhat simple. I think I'll just enjoy samples of it until, hopefully I find it at a bargain price. Love the bottle.

One spray on me:
Sillage: a foot of a trail
Longevity: 5 hours

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

This is nothing like Tom Ford Black Orchid, which stands alone in it's complexity. You won't find a dupe of the scent with E & J Black. All this is is a simple sandalwood with powdery violets. It smells good and is an easy daytime winter scent, but it's nowhere near the sophistication or intensity as the TF perfume.

JaiTee
JaiTee

I tested this many times, embarrassed, yet secretly enjoying it, sniffing my wrists in hopes I'd find something to dislike.

I was in denial over how unfair I was to Nirvana Black because of its Olsen twin pedigree. And then, when I finally admitted to myself that I really like this scent, I purchased a full bottle, and my guilt disappeared.

I love wearing this in the evening and falling asleep with it around me. On my skin, it's a simplistic perfume. It starts off at full-force, already powdery with a dusting of vanilla, and then softly fades away, like a stick of incense.

In fact, that sandalwood scent reminds me of the incense my grandmother used to burn throughout the year as she made offerings of fruit to different gods and goddesses. So wearing this scent reminds me of my beloved grandmother.

I love how perfume has the power to take us back to a place and time, to conjure up loved ones long gone.

That is why I prefer to wear this scent in the evenings, for myself. And that's why it doesn't matter to me what brand is attached to it.

When I close my eyes and inhale, I feel calmer, and I remember how I felt being loved unconditionally by my grandmother.

Nirvana Black lasts only a few hours on my skin, and wears very close to my body. I can't detect the violet.

Barky
Barky

I am pleasantly surprised by this scent. It's more complex than the notes suggest. To my nose, the sandalwood is quite dry and peppery. The vanilla is present, but it functions more to take the edge off of the fragrance than it does to sweeten it. I do get the nod to Black Orchid, though it's not a dupe by any means. It might be a good alternative if you find TFBO to be "too much" for certain occasions (or too much, in general).

I'm happy enough to wear my sample for now, and also happy enough to wait a year until it ends up at T.J. Maxx to bring it home.

Briburto2
Briburto2

I recieved a free sample of this from sephora and immediatly fell in love. I bought it the next day!. The vanilla and sandalwood is very creamy on me which I love. The bottle is amazing, it almost resembles a flask. To my nose this scent is perfectly balanced. I'm head over heels for it.

NoireFox
NoireFox

I actually really love this. It smells like a tie between Tom Ford Black Orchid and Tokyo Milk's Dead Sexy with an extra hint of Vanilla. It dries down to a very creamy vanilla/Sandalwood. The only downside is that it has nonexistent sillage, wearing very close to the skin.

hannah.reed.9085
hannah.reed.9085

The black one smells like an ancient dusty baby powder. I cannot do smells like this.. I'm sorry Mary-Kate and Ashley I love you girls but this perfume combo isn't the best. The white one smells ok but oddly like a floral spray can air sanitizer :/

aliora
aliora

To my untrained nose, this smells smokey, peppery (like black peppers) and there's a note in there that reminds of gardenia. None of those notes are there, so this is all just from my perception. I can see the resemblance to Addict, but this is drier (and in my opinion, less cloying) and can be easily pulled off by a man. The sillage seems fairly close wearing, and I will have to update this review on its lasting power, but it seems pretty decent. Like some have also said, this is like the top notes of Black Orchid, so if you love that but hate the drydown of BO, you may want to try this.

It's dark, but not heavy. I will most likely end up getting a rollerball of this lovely gem.

leavesofgrass
leavesofgrass

I've only sniffed this so far on the paper tester Sephora gave it's "clients" with our orders. It is a sweet, musky scent but doesn't seem overwhelming actually pleasant. My first thought was this reminds me of one of the BCBG Girls fragrances, either Star or Sexy (which in my head were a little similar to each other). Perhaps I am thinking Star, which I think was a little powdery like this one.

Tovah
Tovah

Ooooo - this is GOOD! My reaction upon trying was the one I had when I first tried Hypnotic Poison, Narciso For Her, Dior Addict, Musc Ravageur: the quintessential "man-magnets". I swooned. I think Nirvana Black is gorgeous, rich, elegant, and majorly sexy. It smells like dark vanilla, sandalwood, and slight hints of powder balanced perfectly. Something about the top notes of Nirvana Black calls to mind Tom Ford Noir (which I adore wearing), but women who, unlike me, wear only specifically "feminine" scents won't be put off by Nirvana Black. Yes, it has some notes that used to be considered "masculine", but nobody's going to mistake this for "men's" perfume. Anyways, I love it!

Vanilla with a very run of the mill mall-style floriental base dries to boring sandalwood. Eh. Nothing special.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

I recently tested Nirvana Black and Nirvana White. No, no, not for me. Not either of them. Let me explain.
Nirvana Black comes across as pure pepper. Very strong pepper hit me immediately and stayed throughout the life of this perfume. It never diminished. A wash of sandalwood envelops the peppery sense as if it's framing it solidly. Here's the problem. The sandalwood smells synthetic. It's not woody. It's not natural. It doesn't bring any pleasant images. On top of that, the pepper stings. It bites.
As two lonely prominent notes, they're headache inducing. Unfortunately, in Nirvana Black, they were the only two notes that surfaced.
It was suggested to me to at Sephora to layer Nirvana Black and Nirvana White. I did. I tried the suggestion. Now, bear in mind the cost of this suggestion. Even at the cost of the rollerballs which are $22 apiece, that would be layering $44 worth of perfume, just to make Nirvana Black better.
Frankly, it only made it worse. Nirvana Black is far stronger and overpowers Nirvana White, which is an in your face blast of a floral. Peony is the main note and it hits you full frontal in White. As in Black, White has the power to smell synthetic.
So what did Nirvana Black really remind me of? Walking down the laminate plastic aisle at Home Depot. That's my mental image when I smell my hand, my wrist, and where I sprayed this perfume. These are not people-pleasers. At least not to me.
On the up side, they lasted for five hours, that's at least the point that I decided to wash them off. So longevity is wonderful. After the initial blast, which is rather strong, they do sit close to the skin. Nirvana Black seems more suitable for shopping in the winter-time in any home-remodeling store and Nirvana White just comes across more as a floral room spray.
Both are listed as unisex fragrances, but they didn't seem masculine nor feminine to me. Probably because of the more synthetic feel to them, I couldn't nor I wouldn't classify them as either type of fragrance.
These two perfumes are encased in a rather chic container, stylish and sleek. Actually visually pleasing and different. It's the one aspect of the perfume I did like.

ummimtrish
ummimtrish

I was not expecting this to smell like Black Orchid, but it totally does! It's just not as potent.

It's amazing; lots of sandalwood and vanilla. I was expecting violet, but I barely smell any...This smells even more beautiful when layered over Nirvana White.

Edit: I have sample sizes of both TF Black Orchid and Nirvana Black so I sprayed one on each wrist. Black orchid smells sweeter than Nirvana Black...I actually prefer this one. I'm still smelling sandalwood and vanilla with a slight powderiness which I think may be the violet that I didn't get before.

If you're a diehard TF fan, you probably won't like this because you'll realize how much of a copy cat it is. If you like Black Orchid and you're someone who likes to save their hard earned money (like myself) you probably need this in your life.

Eirlys
Eirlys

When I received this sample I got this really nice smell from the package, and it turns out some of this sample spilled. The smell is a rich, warm scent that is almost like scented paper, the kind that is really expensive. I love the smell, and when I spray it on, it's got a really warm tone to it, I feel like I'm wrapped in a cashmere scarf and sitting in front of a fireplace. I think this is a great perfume for winter time, and it feels a little bit grown up, so probably it's more suitable for mature women or mature girls. Definitely a great scent though, I might buy it when I run out of the sample.

happygeisha
happygeisha

this truly smells lovely but its nothing new, trust that. mix a little sandalwood and a little vanilla in a bottle and you're bound to please some noses but again, for the price, you're just not getting anything unusual or inspiring. no, the best thing about this frag is the design. period. the artistic visual of nirvana black and its "twin" will be more that likely what drives the sales of this line. the black and white sleek, modern bottles with gold edging look attractive and feel solid in your hand, not fragile but sturdy and portable. the studded texture and "thin" flask shape are breathtaking and will most certainly compliment any vanity for which they are placed.

AmoreProfumi

Ok so...are we sure this is actually unisex?!...I mean it makes no never mind to me if it is or not...but I just seen on the sample packs that they both just say "for her"...so got me a lil confused, I know the white is deff. feminine but honestly to me even though people say how they see the black being a lil masculine...it also smells feminine to me...I think there's a little confusion The Elizabeth && James Line is after all a women's line that has the balance of feminine && masculine styling...

"Launched in 2007, Elizabeth and James embodies the duality of sophistication and feminine detail balanced with downtown edge and masculine tailoring."

So if I'm not mistaken these are both labeled for women, wouldn't you agree?...Like I said though it makes no difference if it is or not, I'm still getting it b/c it's heavenly && I wear whatever I like && it is just a label...but I just think if they're indeed both for women it's just kind of misleading saying its for both...I mean I'm not 100% sure and I don't care just thought I'd bring it to attention and clarify. :)

Srebecca
Srebecca

When it first hits the skin it's very reminiscent of Black Orchid, which my boyfriend hates on me... But then it sits and starts to smell musky and like massage oils which I LOVE. I mix it with Nirvana White for a perfect combination of sweet and sensual.

larali
larali

Damn, I love this. It is definitely unisex. But it's sexy, dark and fun. You could wear it for everyday or for parties at night. I would buy this just to feel edgy going about my daily activities.

AmoreProfumi

Sephora sent along this as well as other fragrance cards of new/top selling scents they carry with my package, this was in there, I must say I prefer this moreover the white && actually quite like this...I rubbed the sample on my hand && it's really nice on me I get a lot of the sandalwood && vanilla && the added violet is nice to I do like violet in scents && the powderyness I also like...I don't think a rub test is enough though I'd actually like to get a spray of this to see if I really like it, but from what I can smell so far it's not bad...kinda sexy && alluring, I don't really care for what I purchased so I may exchange it for this or something else, I do like that sleek bottle too! :)

em.caroline.9
em.caroline.9

At first I was divided on this (having just done a tester strip spray) but after taking home the sample duo and trying it on my skin I can safely say that I love it. The initial spray is earthy and lacks the sweetness I'd expect from the vanilla.

It definitely has masculine overtones to it, and is a little bit on the dirty side and I love it.

It's not out-there enough to be offputting and I can understand if people who bias towards niche perfumes would find this to be more generic, but i think it makes the perfect bridge between wearable and interesting.

The drydown is velvety and cozy. I'd love to smell this on a man.

charlottesmom
charlottesmom

Blech! Got samples of both White and Black from Sephora, tried them on paper tester strips in the bathroom, walked out to let them sit for a few. I came back in the bathroom to a horrible smell my bathroom reeked of cheapo mens aftershave. I picked up the White tester strip, it was just too floral and something else...off...didn't like, picked up the Black tester strip, and found the cheap aftershave scent. Wowsa, I had to come here and look and sure enough Black is under both men and women as it certainly smells manly IMO. Neither of these perfumes will get a skin test as they are both not my taste. One of the other reviewers mentioned it smelled similar to Dior Addict, I can see that as that one smells like aftershave to me also.

almarie
almarie

This is a beautiful scent! I actually really love how this smells. It almost smells like Tom Ford's Black Orchid for Women. I think it's an acquired taste, however it's really beautiful in the dry down.

StopHammertime
StopHammertime

LOVE. I got a 2ml sample to make sure I wanted it, the magazine sample pretty much convinced me but I wanted to make sure it translated well when sprayed. It reminds me of Black Orchid but takes out everything I dislike about that frag, leaving only the good parts! It also costs quite a bit less, win win. The only part I can see disliking about this is that it doesn't seem like it lasts very long. However this is still on my must buy list for sure. It really feels like a niche frag, although I think that may be because it reminds me so much of the Tom Ford.

Jomoves
Jomoves

Continues the weird perfume trend of exceptionally beautiful bottles containing unexceptional perfume. Next!

rockegg
rockegg

Sandalwood and vanilla tend to hang around a long time, and so this does. The violet works. On the whole I have to agree that it's just not that unique. I suppose that's what happens when you combine only three notes. I like the bottle, and I like the fact that the Olsens are doing well as businesswomen. I'm not the demographic who cared about them one way or the other when they were teen idols. But I am happy to see child stars survive the weirdness and do something else with their lives. So I wish them the best. I would have preferred this scent to be more interesting.

YanaYanaYana
YanaYanaYana

Just like the White one, it's nothing new. Reminds me of some other perfume, Boyfriend maybe. Staying power is good.

perfumeglam87
perfumeglam87

Smelled both samples in allure magazine december issue 2013!! They smell amazinggg omg! one is lighter than the other! Very elegant and classy!

atiet97
atiet97

The bottle design for both colors are devine! Sleek, modern, sophisticated with a little touch of artistic detail. Lean towards niche design.

Can't wait to test them both...although in terms of notes I think I might've hooked by the Black one, especially after reading some review saying it smells like Corso Como but without the Oud! So perfect for me! (I'm no fan of Oud)

Nirvana Black by Elizabeth and James 4.02 out of 5 based on 118 ratings and 48 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Nirvana Black by Elizabeth and James. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Nirvana Black by Elizabeth and James represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.