Designers » D E » Chypre Floral « Groups

Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women
dislike

I have it: 716 I had it: 343 I want it: 323 My signature: 12

honey
Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women Pictures

Ungaro’s first perfume is dedicated to women. The word ‘Diva’ carries an association with prima donna and has the Italian meaning ‘goddess’. Diva is a classic perfume for women and its composition is built around rose, Ungaro’s symbol. The bottle imitates curves of the female body, which is again one of Ungaro’s idols. The opening is classic, floral with a citrusy note, which harmonizes with tuberose. Ylang-ylang is mixed with rose. The sweet and sensual finale is reached by the notes of vanilla, sandalwood and iris. The perfume was created by Jacques Polge in 1983.

Aldehydes Coriander Mandarin Orange Indian Tuberose Bergamot Cardamom

Carnation Orris Root Turkish Rose Ylang-Ylang Moroccan Rose Narcissus Egyptian Jasmine

Honey iris Amber Sandalwood Patchouli Musk Civet Vanilla Oakmoss Vetiver

Diva Limited Edition
Soir de Lune
Isabey La Route d'Emeraude
Midnight Oud

Diva Fragrance Reviews

auroramccandless
auroramccandless

Where has this fragrance been all my life?

The 80's came and went and I didn't discover this fragrance. I don't care for labels on people much less on fragrances. This is not an old lady perfume nor "mature". This is simply a BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE.

I realize that the original vintage is not selling right now. I bought this fragrance on Amazon.com and it's most likely a reformulation. However as an EDP it throws out quite an aroma. The first spritz of Diva is a mandarin orange, bergamot and aldehyde, sparkling, fresh, golden, like a touch from fairy God mother's magic wand transforming you into a princess all set for the ball. This is not too fruity and it is definitely a fresh aldehyde when it opens. Simply beautiful and classic in a Chanel No. 5 Miss Dior or First Van Cleef & ARpels sort of way.

The powdered root of orris or iris flower is the glue that holds everything together. It's a rose and iris powder scent. It's a delicate floral with sweet powdered notes. It smells like a talc powder in the boudoir or like someone else pointed out- the interior of an opera singer's dressing room. One would imagine she would have a fragrance there to spritz on before heading out to the stage or a powder for her body/face. This is a rose fragrance but far from being realistic it's an artificially produced powdery rose with a womanly sophisticated air.

It doesn't stay in the powder room boudoir dressing room. It becomes deeper with amber, musk, patchouli, oak moss and woodsy notes. It has a big vanilla cream base and an amber to die for. And then everything else is set aside for a sweet honey a big honey. It's a honeyed floral scent. The powder goes away and in comes the honey. I think this is meant to evoke an opera singer's voice, which some people describe as honeyed - a honeyed voice soprano.

Beautiful and elegant, a different creature in today's fruity floral gourmand industry. It smells so good my God it smells so beautiful. It makes me feel beautiful and rich. The fragrance lasts a very long time because that vanilla note is long lasting. The scents in this perfume will ravish your nose: aldehydes, citrus, florals, powder, honey, vanilla. The other flowers swimming with the rose include jasmine tuberose and narcissus, each detectable as a white floral scenet but not taking the lead. The white flowers and the rose are well paired but the honey brings this back to an amber-floral with rose as the star.

Stunning. It's so luxurious I can only wear this with a good evening dress to romantic dinners and to black tie parties. I think this perfume is for you if you like the following fragrances:

Chanel No. 5

Chanel No. 22

Miss Dior

First Van Cleef & Arpels

LLB_addict
LLB_addict

I KNOW I love this........however, today when I spritzed a small amount, it came off as shreeky rose. That is all I could detect.....even after 2 hours. I cannot remember if I ever tried it in summer, but if that is the case and you're on the fence about this fragrance, give it a chance in a cooler temp!

Madrona
Madrona

Honeyed oakmossy rose somewhere inbetween a smirk and a snarl.

deviation
deviation

The woman in the advert looks very elegant and the bottle embodies just that. But when you really get to smell this perfume it is a different story. One word -LOUD. I don't mean loud in terms of sillage because I love perfume with great sillage and this has a great sillage too. Loud here means like a woman who has a big personality and to go with that personality she has a loud voice in the room and strong opinions. Like a boisterous woman but not fun boisterous, more like aplha bossy CEO woman. Three notes are quite dominant here- in-your-face rose, slight cat-pee smelling civet(cat pee part is obvious only at the very beginning) and dusty oak moss. Even these three notes are loud. So is this my taste? Not really. But I think I'm getting an idea of how 1980's smelt like and will keep it in my collection just to admire the perfumes made in that period.

lucia.lawson
lucia.lawson

Diva is a perfume that I found a bit too youthful for me. I don't understand why everyone today thinks of this as a mature older woman's fragrance. This is a sweet floral with honey, ginger, cinnamon and vanilla. I see this as a gourmand scent. Always have. It smells luxurious and beautiful. The opening has a top note of mandarin orange citrus I love, along with aldehydes. Before long the rose in 2 notes blooms and it becomes apparent that this is a rose perfume. There's also an iris and it becomes powder clouds of rose powder. Smells like a pink boudoir, with a pink dresser table, and a pretty blonde in pink morning robe lined in pink faux fur sits on the stool to apply make up body lotion and powder and perfume that smells like this. It's a diva opera singer's boudoir scent. I always felt like I was driving my students mad with desire wearing this perfume but I guess it was all in my head.

The only word for this fragrance is --- sexy!

TillyWave
TillyWave

A True Floral Chypre

This is the real change in perfumery--the focus. The focus used to be on the basenotes. That's what you lived with, when you decided to wear a certain perfume. Now the focus is the topnotes. The fleeting, short lived topnotes, that rope you right in. The luminous, uplifting topnotes, that have such promise. Sometimes the heart can be okay, too, but unless you're wearing a pretty linear perfume, the basenotes can really be a letdown. Boring, dryersheet/synthetic musks--or if you're lucky you're left with something nice like vanilla. But mostly it's those catchy topnotes.

I have the new, reformulated Diva in the seashell bottle, and vintage Diva in the tall, oval bottle (both in EDP.) The current Diva is very nice, especially for the price. It's a slightly waxy, honeyed red rose, the rose getting muskier the longer you have it on. The other floral notes are only compliments to the rose accord (ylang ylang and geranium, very subtle.) The perfume is not loud, and simply fades out on the skin, with musky basenotes. It's a perfectly nice honey rose musk that you can buy for $20.

Now for the vintage Diva. The Filthy Dirty Rose Diva.

This is a damn dirty rose. Super sexy. Seriously--no wonder they reformulated this, this kind of perfume is so out of style it's not even funny. During the first hour this perfume is so loud you shouldn't even leave the house. A full red rose, dripping with honey and soil, that becomes spicy-coriander-peppery as it wears down. The iris/orris/narcissus act as the transitional floral accord as it heads to the base. At this point the perfume is not musky at all, like the new version. I would say the deep rose/floral portion lasts maybe 2 to 3 hours.

Then comes the base.

The base is amazing, like wistful yearning amazing, because perfumes today simply lack a decent base. This base is filthy by today's standards. Woody vetiver, gorgeous sandalwood, warm smoothing civet notes, earthy patchouli and oakmoss...this is a true base, and the base smells awesome, it just smells like me, this is what people are talking about when you want your perfume to be sexy, it smells like a person, it smells like you, like the perfume actually working with your chemistry and becoming 'your signature' to those who get close. It's a little unnerving, it's not scrubbed clean fields of fantastical flowers and soap, it is alive and human, it's personal, it's perfume.

So for me, while I love rose perfumes, the base in Diva is what makes it worth wearing.

nhledger
nhledger

When I saw the list of fragrances featured above in the "people who like this also like" section, I felt quietly confident that I would like Ungaro Diva too. I hope so, having bought it in a blind buy last week....it hasn't arrived yet so I'm still rubbing my hands together! I'm not a perfumista, as someone else put it, like so many others on this site. I don't have more than 20 fragrances on the go (although I would if I could), but I do adore perfume and having found myself unsuccessfully scrounging for something special and unique in recent years, I have decided to go backwards instead, and try a trip down memory lane and revisit, or meet for the first time, some of the past beauties from years gone by. I hope Ungaro Diva lives up to my expectations....watch this space!

....Okay so the box arrived this morning and I've been wearing Diva for about an hour now. Immediately I put it on my skin it reminded me very much of 24 Faubourg which I also have in my mini collection. A nice and quite strong scent on my skin, bright, floral which is now starting to simmer down to a softer but not yet powdery scent. Love it!

lesecretforme

This is reminding me alot of Cartier La Panthere. A little sharper but alot alike. Then low and behold! Treachery afoot! Such shame!
This is the 2014 version. I am highly pissed as it lacks depth and there is no tuberose, no honey, no civet. Pure trash. Rest in piece to the good shit.

lesecretforme

I am revisiting alot of fragrances I have smelt over the years. I am on a big vintage and pre 2000s kick. This is one I just purchased online last night. Cant wait to get her in my hands.

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

EDP
What a pleasure to revive the 90 s. I remember the Ungaro Maison, avenue Montaigne in Paris, with these fantastic draped dresses, i walked along each day to go to work.... Each three days there were new dresses on display with so classy colored fabrics.
Between la Nuit of Pacco Rabanne (with less civet and more roses)and Knowing Estée Lauder (with less moss).

Great glass bottle and glass cap, so rare today.

So classy, this jus is out of fashion, out of gender, out of age group. It makes your day in every occasions.

ZoopyGoggins
ZoopyGoggins

I bought this for myself after a Fragrantica member suggested it as a layering to go with my Giorgio Beverly Hills for men. It was so-so in that regard but didn't quite do it for me. It smelled acrid, sharp and metallic on me so I gave up with it.
I still liked the smell of it though so I let my girlfriend try it out and it's AMAZING on her.
Softens on the dry down beautifully into a floral, powdery, slightly peppery masterpiece with huge but not overbearing sillage and incredible longevity. She put several sprays on her arms in the morning and it was still going strong well over 12 hours later. Not as a skin scent by this time mind you, still radiating. Truly stunning and very sexy.
I have since given it to her.
And the perfume.

Update: My girlfriend put a couple of sprays of this on her arms last night and she's just now held one of them out to me. It's still on there! Pretty much a skin scent now but completely and obviously detectable.
That's over 24 hours folks. No re-application.
Mind boggling.
And so ends this experiment. I will now allow her to take a bath.

EmmaZumba
EmmaZumba

As an aldehyde, floral and powdery fan, this fragrance should have rocked my world. But Diva by Ungaro left me a little shell-shocked in the same way a revolting and forceful aunt makes you feel after she insists on kissing you right in the lips.
The initial sniff of the spray cap was enough to scare me away from even spraying it for over a day, as I could already smell the entire cast of Dynasty whom were bombarding me from the 80's with cutting insults and high maintenance fashion faux pas. I was expecting the worst of 80's power house fragrance and that's exactly what I got for the first 10 minutes. I felt car sick and knew I'd done wrong, but persevered. Luckily it calmed during the second stage, which very much reminded me of Theo Fennell's signature (and only) fragrance. The dry down has aromatic elements of Cliniques Aromatics what was nice. But overall Diva was completely overbearing.

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Diva is a beautiful luxurious floral aldehyde chypre. I tested this on myself almost a year ago and wasn't impressed but I kept remembering the smell and smelling this fragrance on an older girl friend of mine in Palm Beach. I finally bought it and I'm so enchanted by this perfume. Gorgeous! This starts with aldehydes not like No. 5 not too strong just soapy and sweet. The coriander is present from the start as is the citrus note of mandarin orange. Delicious. I would say that every note is detectable if you really study the fragrance and smell deep enough. I found the major scents to be: rose, tuberose, carnation jasmine, honey, iris, amber, sandalwood vanilla and oak moss. This turns into an Oriental balsamic type of fragrance. It does smell of powdery pink rose. It becomes a little too powdery but there is a freshness to it and oiliness balsamic quality. It's also got plenty of amber at the end just a hot radiant amber that smells like gold if gold had a smell. It's like a gold that was melted down and made into a rose. It's glamorous and makes me feel like I spent a million bucks on this fragrance and not the cheap price it has. There is honey warm honey. I don't pick up on the scents of musk or civet. The reformulation is what I'm wearing and it's probably not like the original which people are saying was muskier. So it probably feels like a watered down version of the original but that's not always bad. I do like the vanilla in this perfume. It becomes a vanillic scent at the end. So if you like aldehydes, flowers, honey, and vanilla, you should check this out. This is not quite a gourmand but it does have something like gourmand scents of ginger/cardamom and vanilla for days. This is softer and less heavy hitting than the original. No one could smell it on me today. I was in the ladies bathroom at the Coconut Grove Four Seasons Hotel in Miami and she hugged me. "I'm so happy you wear my old perfume from the 80's. It was a Valentines Day gift from my first husband". This smells romantic, sexy, feminine, elegant and classy. It can even pass for a Chanel. And a bit of pop info for you Fragranticans, this perfume bottle appears in a scene in the 80's movie MANNEQUIN with Kim Cattral and Andrew McCarthy. I love that movie. It's the part of the movie when the mannequin first becomes real and appears to Andrew McCarthy's character. The mall where he worked was selling Diva by Ungaro! It was also standing next to a bottle of Chanel Coco. lol Love this perfume!

elisita
elisita

the reformulation is a pity

PinkRainbow
PinkRainbow

Incredible scent. The profusion of honey makes it unique. Great longevity. Just strong enough to be "there" without being overwhelming. A perfume for an elegant and classy lady. A true keeper.

chyprespace
chyprespace

I love Fendi di Fendi, but am rarely in the mood to wear it. Too much of a monster. Somehow Diva is it's softer sister, isn't it, like a rosy Coco? Vintage Eau de Parfum. I love it.

MadMadamMimm
MadMadamMimm

Very much a daytime spring or summer scent. Opens very green, and then immediately gives way to a rose musk.

sharyssa
sharyssa

I don't own his fragrance but I love Ferminadaza's review!

Ferminadaza
Ferminadaza

I first fell in love with the work of designer Emanuel Ungaro at the age of 9 years. It was during an Ebony Fashion Fair presentation to which my mother had taken me in the late 1980s.

Short history lesson:

Ebony Fashion Fair was a popular traveling fashion runway show within the African American community that featured the haute couture and Ready To Wear of elite fashion designers from around the world. It was the brainchild of the late Eunice Johnson who was married to the late John Johnson. Together the Johnsons established the iconic African American news and society magazine, Ebony.

The Ebony Fashion Fair runway show began during the late 1950s initially as a means of showcasing both black models who were often barred from participating in the mainstream fashion world as well as to present the fashion collections of black designers. This was back in the day when the world of high fashion was very insulated in terms of class and race. The money raised from such presentations was to be used for community charities. Eventually the shows became so successful that Ms. Johnson began to seek participation from mainstream design houses as well. This proved to be quite difficult due to the stereotypes that surrounded African Americans at that time. Many of the mainstream designers did not believe that there was an audience to be had among blacks, especially black women. Often, black clients could not even book buying appointments with the mainstream design ateliers. The design houses did not believe that there were black people who could afford the clothing nor did they want to risk losing their majority audience by having blacks wearing the same clothing.

There were certain designers who were always supportive and inclusive, such as Pucci, Valentino, Mackie. The House of Ungaro was one of the favored houses of the Ebony Fashion Fair and partly because Emanuel Ungaro was also one of the initial designers who readily participated.

Okay...so enough history.

Now...picture it...Sicily... (kidding but points if you got the reference) It's the late 80s, I'm nine years old in a central Valley California auditorium waiting to see a couture spectacle. I'm wearing my finest sitting next to my mother who is dressed up as well. The entire audience is decked out to the nines. The people are looking almost as good as the models! Where the fashion world got the idea that black people don't like to dress, I don't know. They need only attend a black church service to have that stereotype laid to rest.

The hall lights dim and out walk...no STRUT...the first models. I have been in love with high fashion ever since. Out of all of the garments that I saw that evening, the clothing that most caught my eye, were those by Ungaro. They were opulent and sophisticated. They were baroque with beading, heavy embroidery, and vibrant colors.

They were exactly what would be worn by...a diva.

Years later, I unwrap the cellophane from the white box. Open it's cardboard inner layer, and remove the heavy glass bottle reminiscent of fine baccarat crystal. Even the stopper/cap has heft to it as it's also made of glass-- how rare these days. The juice is a deep amber color, my bottle is from the early 2000s. I spritz a small bit on my arm and I am pleasantly overwhelmed by a beautiful bouquet of crimson red bulgarian roses in all of their sumptuous amber chocolate animalic glory. The roses sit in a fine crystal vase with touches of gold filigree around the base. The vase sits on a dark mahogany table in a room drenched in sunlight with heavy tapestry curtains and brilliant gold antique rococo influences.

This fragrance belongs to the type of woman whom you will never see partially clad or wearing the latest trendy ill fitting thing. You will never catch this woman without her lipstick which is always the most well applied deep dark red. You will never catch her without her high heels. You will never catch her in any way that does not bespeak elegance, sophistication, and quiet confidence. She's not dry or staid however...but the very essence of womanly sensuality

The little girl inside of me is swooning---this is what grown ladies smell like. The dry down is soft and spicy fading from an opulent oil painting to a impressionist water color. Longevity is good and sillage is appropriate to the name of the fragrance. In other words, spray lightly. I am in love with diva...but of course!

learnincurve
learnincurve

Well I've just been on quite the journey. First it took me right back the 1980s as the opening note was the same as the perfume my mother used to wear, then I could not stop sneezing every time I sniffed it, and here I am now with a not unpleasant rose smell which was very powdery at first but is becoming more rose like by the second and I'm looking forward to seeing where it will take us next.

I really like this one, especially the way it develops, if you are just getting in to perfume then it's an education on how a perfume can change over time instead of being one flat jumbled note after the top note has gone like a lot of modern perfumes.

emt1986
emt1986

Well, well, well... if you're looking for a rose perfume, here you go! Rose as a note is a bit hit-or-miss for me, but in Diva, it's a blockbuster: very realistic and not at all cloying.

I can easily compare Diva to Knowing as they are both big on not just the rose, but oakmoss, aldehydes, and civet as well. However, they are more than different enough to warrant owning both if you're a fan of the genre. In Knowing, the rose is prominent, but ultimately takes a backseat to the oakmoss and patch, whereas in Diva, the rose is far and away the front-and-center star of the show; everything else is in the chorus or orchestra pit after the slap-you-in-the-face aldehydic opening.

Seriously, the first few minutes are pretty brutal, and that's coming from an aldehyde fan. I beg you to wait. Once they fade out a bit, she becomes complex, rich, and fancy as fuck with the rose shining through. The honey makes things just sweet enough. It dries down to quite a soft rose scent that lingers all day. Somehow I see this being even better in a bit warmer weather. A beautiful perfume for people who love perfume!

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

Growing up in the 80s I've come to see this genre of powerhouses as my 'normal'. I picked up a vintage EDP version. Its worth every drop to me.

Diva is the best executed, red rose scent blended against a honeyed oriental backdrop. I naturally prefer vintage opium , vintage cinnabar, vintage bijan.

Diva is much more beautiful and feminine with the romantic rose, yet remains full and complex like a tradtional 80s fragrence. The rose doesn't come off synthetic or overdone ("tea rose" I'm looking at you) but it does assert herself as the star of the show. The rose smells exactly like fresh red roses.

The rest of the blend supports the rose beautifully. Its a mature (in the best way) fragrance appropriate at any time. She is never bombastic like Bijan, or spicy like Opium. She is the Goddess feminine. She has gravitas but never overly rude, or in your face in bad taste.

If you find today's fragrances lacking soul and body...vintage Diva is a great feminine rose choice. Diva is haute couture in a bottle.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Kept wondering how really feel about Diva for months. Never a dislike. Floated between love and like and maybe indifference. Think that is the Rose and Powdery because feel the same about them. Therein lies the beauty, mystery and wonder of perfume. Tastes change and appreciation for notes can develop. I DO like Rose and Powdery. Just need to be in the mood. Can't fake that mood. Either in it or not. Today is one of those days and started with Diva to see how we stand. Adore Diva. At first my fixation was on civet and anything that had civet in it. Now I can let the civet note take a back seat and appreciate I don't want all my fumes to smell like Cassini or Joy. To me, Diva isn't a bold scent. For me it's almost soft. Diva is an easy to wear for me so long as I'm up for her style. She Does have style. All I had to do was know and understand where she fits into my palette. Soft but she can bite if you over-spray.

mrs.hart
mrs.hart

****
a grand dame of perfumery that's hugely underrated for some unknown reason. diva should be up there with coco, opium, and shalimar. it's an unforgettable presence that you cannot ignore, once you enter the room wearing this all looks will be on you. it's truly grand and smells expensive and dramatic, like old hollywood. yes it's an 80s fragrance, it used to be my mum's sig, but now i can easily wear it on special occasions and it's just as relevant and complimented as it was back then. it has no age, just beauty and class - just like old hollywood.

honey, rose and carnation, drenched in animalic notes gives it that old school floral-oriental-skanky vibe. you need to be elegant when wearing it - you can dress casually sure but you will feel under dressed in this femme fatale of a perfume.

i think it may have been reformulated in the last years not sure about this, i have a couple of older bottles and the scent is super complex and symphonic and lasts ages.

HeavyBeatsUK
HeavyBeatsUK

Diva is the name of my cat which is why I was attracted to this one. It is a lovely woody fragrance. I can also smell white flowers but I wouldn't say it smells predominantly like honey as the votes for notes suggest.

This perfume reminds me of Oh La La by Azzaro, a fragrance I've been wanting for a while.

I imagine a very sophisticated 80s Dynasty lady to smell like this, big hair and shoulder pads but super glamorous.

Lizka7
Lizka7

To Kentigton, it is neither. I would say Poeme would be closer due to sweetness and to honey. Magie Noire is much heavier and serious perfume. Knowing disappear on me fast enough. No match for sweetness with these two.

ZELJO
ZELJO

Has this been reformulated? bought a new bottle yesterday and I though this smelled stronger...

MaraDraffnon
MaraDraffnon

I have two bottles of Diva EDP : one produced in 2010 (which now belongs to my mom), and the other one in 2014.
And there's a world between these two.

The oldest one is still a glorious honeyed and animalic rose chypre, with incredible projection, sillage and longevity (with only two sprays). The 2014 reformulation is all oakmoss, coriander, aldehydes and bergamot. No rose, no honey, nothing. It becomes a skin scent on me after 30 minutes.

I'm so disappointed. I should have known better. And now, I don't know if I should secretly trade my bottle with the one I gave my mom (she'll probably notice, and that's not really ethical), sell mine off ebay, or decant it in a small sprayer to tweak it myself by adding some synthetic civet and honey absolute.
First world problems sure, but I'm still incredibly disappointed.

So, to those of you who've never smelled Diva, try to find a seriously vintage bottle like other fragranticans have described below (glass stopper, not made by ferragamo, square bottle etc.), or at least one of those cheap testers you can easily find at online discounters (pick your favourite, doesn't matter).

Kshan
Kshan

@Kentington, I own both Diva and Knowing (and love both) but am not familiar with Magie Noire. Diva is similar to Knowing in regards to the strong aldehydes and floral aspect, but where Knowing is dry and bitter, Diva is warm and sweet. Diva's honey, which is fairly prominent, is the key difference to my nose.

Kentington
Kentington

I've never smelled this one, but from the descriptions it sounds like it sits somewhere in the Big Animalic Rose Chypre Contest between Knowing by Estee Lauder and Magie Noire by Lancome (both favorites of mine)...anyone have any comments?

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

Diva opens with a rather sharp burst of adelhydes, which was somewhat off-putting. However, this is soon replaced by a very rich, deep, sweet rose mixed with a dark honey, a hint of oakmoss and a fairly strong civet (hopefully, a good synthetic). The effect is of a candied rose in the forest.

Around mid-day a sophisticated spicy/floral accord takes over for a short time, dominated by ylang-ylang but with that deep rose still in the background.

The drydown (which lasts well into the wee hours of the morning) is quite sweet but not in the modern, "cotton candy" way. Again, that delicious, dark, honeyed rose is dominant, with bergamot, a somewhat boozy vanilla, and civet lingering for an exotic effect.

Diva is a fantastic fragrance from the 1980's, almost as powerful as Giorgio but not as supposedly "obnoxious" when overapplied! Longevity is remarkable, and sillage is amazing--use with caution, but, again, it is not as likely as Giorgio to cause nosebleeds amongst one's coworkers.

It is more earthy and sensual than Giorgio but not as animalic as Obsession.

Carolann59
Carolann59

Bought a bottle in '81, I thought...soon I realized I smelled like a dead animal wrapped in insect spray. But, I can't wear Civet and I applaud anyone who can!

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Brava! The Opera Diva's Perfume

It was the 1983. Italian Haute couture was at it's peak. Glamourous dark haired models strutted their stuff on the runway in Milan, which is also the home of the Teatro Alla Scala the Mecca of all opera houses. Italian fashion designer Emanuel Ungaro worked with his nose Jacques Polge to create a fragrance worthy of his increasingly popular fashion line. But I think he might have had opera in mind as well. Why call it diva? The image that comes to mind is that of a beautiful, but large operatic soprano on the stage singing the highest note human possible and receiving standing ovation, and roses, so many red roses thrown at her. This is exactly what Ungaro's Diva perfume is all about. It's a fragrance for an opera singer who has a voracious appetite for luxury and for fame. She cannot stand to be neglected, forgotten or overlooked. She is the prima donna, the belle of the ball, the center of attention. She wears a designer backless evening gown of scarlet red, maybe some sequins, and her dark hair is fragrant and luxuriant. She is a woman meant to be put under the bright lights of the theater, at the stages of the world's finest opera houses. As such perhaps this power perfume is not for every woman, as most women cannot pull of that exact same diva image. With main accords of floral, powder and animalic, all I got was mostly floral aldehyde powder and amber. If I had to put a label to this genre of perfume it would definitely be floral aldehyde.

DIVA NOTES

HEAD: Aldehydes, Coriander Mandarin Orange Bergamot Cardamom

Heart: Carnation, Orris Root, Turkish Rose, Ylangylang, Moroccan Rose, Narcissus, Egyptian Jasmine

Base: Honey, Iris, Amber, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk, Civet, Vanilla, Oakmoss and Vetiver

So many notes! Too many notes! But it is a musical lady's perfume and she is singing so many arias, in fact a full opera. The complex arrangement of notes is what makes this perfume a first class fragrance. At one time it must have truly served Ungaro well. It definitely matches the sophistication and million dollar glamour of the world of high fashion in the 80's. Think Dynasty, Joan Collins in glittering diamonds and puffed sleeves. This fragrance was made with love, and although it resembles the loud and proud perfumes of the 80's, it has a charming sweetness that sets it apart. She is still a refined and demure lady. The honey notes and the vanilla is what I was able to pick up on at first whiff. Honey? Vanilla? So sweet. It's warm and casual, nothing like the idea we have of snobbish, elitist prima donnas who speak in a foreign language or English with a heavy European accent that makes them come off as even more haughty and arrogant. No. This is a sweet young thing masquerading as a diva. She can put on the expensive diamond necklace and earrings and that elegant amazing gown, but she is just playing dress up. I was so pleased to find that on me at least the fragrance was not strong. It was sweet. It could almost pass for Chanel Mademoiselle. It was even casual. It's a day time fragrance to wear to lunch or to go shopping. Why people say this is shockingly pungent perfume is beyond me. The aldehydes do give it a powerful punch but it's gone before it takes over. The top notes contain cardamom which is ginger, and just as sweet as ginger, which subdue the aldehydes. Then you get roses. While the notes listed here are two red roses: Turkish and Morrocan, I could feel pink roses on my skin. It was like pink rose bouquets being thrown at me. I could see them tossed high in the air and then falling gently on my body. This is a ROSE PERFUME. It's heart is the rose. But I see it as a pink, youthful rose. These can also be the roses the diva's admirers, fans and lovers present her as gifts and which adorn her dressing room. These ar feminine roses that only a very beloved young woman receives in private. She is not yet full of herself and has not let it go to her head but it will happen soon. There are just too many lovers, too many people that love her, that want her, that adore her. This is Christine from Phantom of the Opera in her dressing room just after her successful glorious debut. As for the base notes, I couldn not get the iris or patchouli. There is no way patchouli is in this! It was a aweet foundation of honey, vanilla, amber and woods. This has sandalwood and oakmoss as well as vetiver which give it a heady but soft effect. So maybe what people mistake for "strong" is actually heady, intoxicating scents of the woods. This is a chypre, not a civet. I could not find any civet in this and that was a great relief as I hate civet or animalic notes in perfumes, unless, like in this case, they are very subdued.

In a world of common fragrances women wear all the time with their boring predictable sugary sweet fruity notes, or flowers that can barely smell like real flowers, or a world of celebrity fragrances promoted by such trashy personas as Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga and God knows who else, here is DIVA to stand tall and beautiful above all the rest. She is out of another more fashionable elegant era of ladies that wore perfume when it really was perfume. Today's perfumes are meant to be worn so that no one knows you're even wearing perfume. But how can someone know that you're wearing it unless it projects and it makes an entrance, like this richly bejeweled, glamorously costumed soprano DIVA who makes that entrance on the stage that is the fragrance market, and is still singing, singing great arias and receiving unending applause. Brava! Encore! Brava!

mrmattcat78
mrmattcat78

love this i got a vintage bottle , after reading the gender bender article its so lovely

Charliebrave
Charliebrave

When I first tried it I sprayed it on both wrist and was overwhelmed by the stench, I have now learned that this perfume needs to be sprayed inthe air and walk through the mist for it to work for me, with my body chemistry . Now it's beautiful. Full of powdery florals, classic expensive smelling beauty

AnnaT
AnnaT

i have a bottle of 100ml 2014 EDT. i blind brought it becuase it is a legend and the price is more than reasonable ( easily 1/3 of the price of a usual 'modern' frangrance in the current market). The bottle made me hesitated for a while. Yes it was beautiful and glamorous(big bulky piece but not as plan as say the Miracle's) but it looked old fashioned. I worried that the frangrance itself would be 'old' and out dated.

It is certainly not a modern creation. It doesn't have fruity opening or any tendency to go sweet ever so slightly.

It is an all-floral fragrance. Bergamot and marndarin orange are here to contibute to some brightness. This floral frangrance maintains its dry and bitter and slightly green edge throughtout its life on my skin and that is what i like about it. it reminds me of fragrance like beautiful and anis anis. A dry and warm blanket of floral scent surrounding the wearer.

I think it can be wear any time, any weather. i love it becuase it is a unique fragrance in my collection. Most likley i will expand the collection to include EDP version and the limited Pepite version.

Dabarefootbombshell
Dabarefootbombshell

This fragrance is for those who scream " Go Big or Go Home!" It smells classy and rich and I just don't think I have the chueffer needed to pull this one off. I gave it to my glamorous Grandmother and it was divine on her. The fragrance has a personality that requires presence from the wearer. In about 30 years I would love to be the type woman who can wear this but right now it was just wearing me!

boutlagh
boutlagh

along with Anais Anais, this is the best classic perfume for me. Both Aais Anais and Diva are floral and bold, both are extreemly womanish and both can be adopted as signature scents. the problem is that many people don't like them.
Diva smells like roses; not the pink delicate dewy ones we encounter in real life and on some modern perfumes as well, but rather like the red plump thorny roses we find in romantic literature and fairy tales. the rest of the composition is what you generally smell on good classic perfumes.
Diva is strong and long lasting, sillage is huge in winter( and it is an exclusively winter scent tbh).and it suits a composed person with a "clean" style, otherwise it might smell vulgar.

likes2paint
likes2paint

Whoooh, this reminds me of the 1980's where everything was big perfume, big hair and big shoulder pads! Yup... I had those. At the drydown, this perfume reminds me of spicy carnations, and is really lovely. It took around 2 hours on me to get to this stage. I can see me wearing this in tiny little droplets because it did hit me in the face a bit when first applied. It is much too nice to leave in my perfume cabinet, and now that I know how to wear this, I can totally flip out at choir practice tonight and be my Diva self!

gatsby
gatsby

@ perfumecritic Diva Pepite is a new limited edition. Same bottle (different label and box) bit different glass on the bottle and totaly different smell. Also a good one but not as DIVA like the first one.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

Wow...I did not expect to like this but I LOVE it. I am into vintage Chypres but what impresses me is how it is so translatable to 2015. It is so rich. I really don't think I have ever smelled such a civet blend done with quite this perfection. EVER! It is a true womanly perfume. It's not sweet or girly...probably appreciated more for a thirties or above crowd. A perfume collectors must have. One caveat..it SNAPS!!!! at the beginning just briefly. Don't let it scare you...it's just unleashing its Diva power! It takes only maybe two minutes to put its spell on you...

glad57
glad57

I totally agree with gypsy perfumista D-I-V-A!!!. This is a lovely, beautiful, wonderous, class act in a whiskey bottle. Even the color of the juice says it all. Rich warm, pulls you in close. Spraying on my hand I thought I got a clunkette, but oh my goodness, it starts off just a soft little bite, intriguing the sniffer and then, wait for it this sumptuous rose billows up but not an old rose but a dreamy kinda rose, like someone says that this rose makes a beautiful grand entrance, then it develops into this wonderful floral bouquet and stays and stays, i do detect some oakmoss at the last unveiling but that makes me want to spray my hand again, which I did! I really thought it would be an old fragrance but it is amazingly wonderful. I do love the 80's and 90's frags, big white florals,and floral cyphres. Amarige, ysatis, jessica mcclintock, gucci rush even angel, so I do love bold, sexy and romantic fragrances, I carry 'em pretty well and I do remember trying this one but wasn't developed enough (nose) for this treasure, oh but now, rounded out a little bit, with some experience and loving my life, this was just what I needed! Lol Ha, let's see what next week brings!
These new fragrances that come out every week need to take a tip from the tried and true divas of the day for sillage and longevity. They are tricking the consumer causing us to spend more in a shorter amount of time, pushing us toward the niche frags and not all of those are worth the money they ask for! OK I'm off my box now. Thank you!

OldLadyPerfumeFan
OldLadyPerfumeFan

Stunning perfume and very aptly named. Glorious rose, honey and civet.... Jacques Polge at his very best.

They certainly don't make them like this anymore.... more's the pity.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Vintage EDP: The initial spray is of syrupy honey. Within minutes Rose cuts through making her grand entry, strutting down the aisle, carrying her pet civet whose been out rolling around in the oakmoss. She is fierce and commanding, telling you exactly who she is. Loud and bossy, eh? Yes, but just as her name says, she is the "Diva" and she is exquisite!

perfumecritic
perfumecritic

Help!? Okay, so I just got a brand-new EDP that has to be recent. The label on the bottom lists Ferragamo as the producer and on the gold label at the front of the bottle underneath the name Diva is PEPITE. I have to admit that although the opening is just a little too much on the chypre side, the scent immediately settles revealing a honeyed rose that is really quite stunning. I don't have memories of this from when I was younger and so I can't say anything about the reformulation.

So does anyone else have a bottle that is apparently created by Ferragamo? When did they take over this fragrance? What is this current formulation like compared to others? And what is this subtitle PEPITE under the name Diva?

UPDATE: So it seems this Pepite was a limited edition (how/why?)...but that's all I could surmise. I have another bottle of the regular scent coming to compare and I'll report back!

andjela
andjela

Simply beautiful...

kl99
kl99

The coeur, the essence, the spirit of a perfume.
I believe this is maybe THE PARFUM.
A perfect combination of the classic elements of a woman and of a scent.
Sugary Aldehydes, animal notes hidden between stereo fat flowers.
A prominent classic femminility full of imposition desire but not deprived of innocence, light and "sunlight".
Elegant as well.
Masterpiece indeed.

Lalionne
Lalionne

Maybe I should have known better. I bought the reformulated version, even though I have worn this scent in the nineties - which were still the good days if it comes to certain ingredients. I believe you will truly appreciate this reformulation only if you have not known a better version of it in the past. To me, it has lost most of its previous beauty. It may be better than the reformulated Knowing or Paloma Picasso, it is still not worth buying if you are trying to be reunited with the well-beloved scent you once knew. Better look forward and try something new.

Gaugamela
Gaugamela

A QUESTION SO THAT I MAY MAKE AN INFORMED PURCHASE :) So many of you have written such boss, eloquent reviews of this fragrance that your words alone have convinced me to try it - correct, I have never smelled it - so I am trying to make the most informed decision: it sounds like purchasing it with a stopper top, EDP version, Splash, preferably vintage, would be most wise; but I've also read in these reviews that the rectangular, NOT the liquer i.e. currently-shaped bottle is the way to go, as well. -- I'm concerned, however, that purchasing a bottled described as "vintage", in either shape, could be so old as to ...have lost it's vigor? Or does that not happen with a well-made fragrance? I'm new to this forum so I appreciate any advice in this matter :) Thank you and btw, those of you who are fans of Diva are legit epic writers - I felt like I was reading about a sensational fictional character whom I wanted to BE. Ungaro could hire you to write copy for this perfume. Amen.

Elreno22
Elreno22

Very classical and somewhat aggressive scent of spice and rose. Strong and solid. I wore this in the 80's and loved it. I would probably still love it but haven't worn it in years and am not going backwards. Lots of more youthful fragrances out there.

andreaszabo
andreaszabo

Diva ia a pure sophisticated classic fragrance. I’m surprised I didn’t wear it back in the day. Maybe I just steered clear of the 80’s huge perfumes. I even stopped buying magazines because of the “Giorgio of Beverly Hills” samples infecting everything. I love Chypres in general, but Diva is a softer more feminine one, much more so than the bold Paloma Piccaso I wore.

Today I love everything about this fragrance, from beginning to end. The notes don’t seem to separate into tiers during dry down, on me the composition just gets gentler with time. Diva is such a warm feminine scent in a womanly way, grown up, sophisticated. I absolutely love this, it’s suits my Eastern European genetic makeup. I feel so comfortable in this scent that I suspect if I was to commission a bespoke scent, it just may turn out to be very much like Diva.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Huge personality, seems bitter, unlikable at first, but as it settles on the skin, you realize how sweet it is. How floral, powdery... charming.

This is an old fashioned real perfume, one that opens scary and settles down into a wonderful warm sweet spicy soap and animalistic. It's clean and dirty, hard and soft, a woman with a tough exterior and a sweet, loving, romantic heart, but still a woman not a little girl. She knows herself and her own mind. She is strong but truly kind and warm.

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

Diva is one of the perfumes I fell in love with as a young woman. It is opulent and very 80's and I still love it's feline racy character. A keeper in my collection.

Ditta70
Ditta70

This is a review of the vintage ('80s) eau de parfum.
For me, Diva is all about civet, rose and honey. It is very 80s and very Italian: big, bold, loud and seductive. She is a curvy, big boned lady with masses of red locks, red lipstick, fur and stiletto heels, who is as easy-going and adorable as beautiful and intelligent. You know: the type of woman who could easily be intimidating and aloof, but manages to be thoroughly lovable, simply because she is good natured and happy with herself. To me Diva is a happy and confident scent. She knows how to enjoy life to the full and embraces the world and people around her.

On my skin the above mentioned notes dominate (i.e. civet, rose and honey), together with the aroma of well matured wine, made sparkling and bubbly by citrusses and aldehydes. Sillage is worthy of an 80s perfume, and so is longevity: two sprays last all day long, surrounding you at arm's length. More suitable for the cooler months, due to the warmth of the honey, and the vanilla-sandalwood combo in the drydown.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

I completely agree with Hermesfan. Every word.

Michylaka
Michylaka

I have had my bottle of Diva since the nineties. I didn't like it when I smelled it from the splash bottle then but it grew on me when I decided to wear it ten years later. I loved the bottle which is mainly the reason I kept it. I don't wear this often but when I do it definitely makes me feel like a lady with an edge. It is strong of Civet and Rose. It is a complex fragrance but after the initial bold start wears off a bit it moves into a very feminine cloud of loveliness. My bottle is half gone and I fear from these reviews that it is not going to be the same Diva I have come to love. I guess I will cross that bridge eventually.

anh.vh94
anh.vh94

Very classical. Not for everybody. I think it suits for a women with a strong personality.

Hermesfan
Hermesfan

perfect "la dame" scent, so far, so distant from contemporary "lemonade" and "raspberry" craps that can be smelled everywhere around.

Eden Street
Eden Street

Firstly, this review is for the vintage parfum was applied via splash method rather than spray.second, This perfume was originally geared toward more older women, so please bare with my younger perspective.

At first sniff I must admit, I went "Oh god that is pretty strong" before dashing off to eat dinner. However, while eating I would get the loveliest whiff of something heavenly floral; and I was swooning when I realized it was this.

A beautiful and gorgeous scent that, while I can't pick out the individual notes I can't give anything other that adoration to this perfume. Sweet and floral but definitely tampered down with civet. On me, the perfume lasts for a good five to six hours and wears very close to the skin. Although, please remember my version is applied differently rather than sprayed.

If I were to explain it to someone who has never smelled this before, I say Diva is the type of perfume that is so much more personal that those available today. It's the type of scent you would smell on a girl who is hugging you to her chest, giggling as you both roll around in bed.

Justyna
Justyna

Alas, I have the reformulated version, but it's still a great scent. My first impresion was moderate: some plastic or rubber note spoils the opening. But after a while Diva turns into a sparkling, joyful chypre, suprisingly easy to wear.
Much milder than "Paloma"' "Eau de Sisley" or "La Perla", but with a similar vibe, enjoyable from the very morning.

malawakim
malawakim

I also happened to buy the Ferragamo, made in Italy, reformulation.
There is, indeed, no civet. Which makes this a heavy and spicy vanilla one with big chunks of roses. Not bad smelling but very different from the notes description and the reviews on this site.

Beware!

Staebe
Staebe

Slightly disappointing, at least for me personally. I bought this perfume in the long-time search for a 'Fendi Fendi' replacement. However, the results were slightly disappointing. The initial application was a very strong and nose-piercing scent, similar to 'Poison', however this thankfully subsided fairly quickly. I was left with a very powdery scent, with a hint of wood grain. This particular perfume has a very masculine undertone with a hint of 'Gloria Vanderbilt' to it. It is, at best, a borderline unisex classical perfume, sadly lacking in any of the glorious characteristics portrayed so wonderfully by Fendi in the past.

framorena
framorena

I can't really guess how a house like Ungaro, that made masterpieces like this, can now produce junk as the Apparition line. Mah.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

This review is for what I think might be a pre-reformulated version I have

Dear God what a heavy hitter. I was brought up in the 70-80's when real perfume was made. These heavy hitters were common and priced well. One spray would stick with you the entire day, night and even through the next morning. One of the biggest tragedies is the loss of the heavy hitting fragrances. Yes it was the old time ingredients which made it last and reformulation has unfortunately changed it all. Granted I am an animal lover so I support removing these ingredients but the Oak Moss and other natural ingredients are all but gone now leaving just a shadow of the former glorious scents.

Diva is a mean girl who will bitch slap you back in your place. She is loud, no she screams... but she is like that bad ass friend of yours who you know deep down is more gentle and kind. After Diva has time to settle... which let's face it that is many hours, you are left with the most damn amazing aroma there is. If you can muscle through the Sally bad ass for a few hours you will be in love. Remember I am talking the vintage here as I have no clue what the new formulation smells like.

With that being said I don't think I am bad enough for Diva or patient enough for the dry down however I am in love with the longevity and quality of our old timers.

nadicamihajlovic
nadicamihajlovic

Wow, what a temper! And she's been drinking? :)
Real, loud diva, like Maria Callas! Very strong in the beginning, wich is quite long...reminded me on Salvador Dali, and than dried down is similar to Chanel N°5. Mature and gorgeous. I would love to wear it but im just to petit...
I presume civet in this perfume is synthetic? I could never enjoy my perfume knowing that some animal has suffered...Chanel No 5 and Shalimar consist synthetic civet for sure..., i asked :)

TheLavenderPrince
TheLavenderPrince

My lord - what a beautifully crafted perfume! This is a strong rosy, woody, civet perfume that pretty much sums of the smell of the 80's! I bought the vintage formulation, and let me tell you, the elixir within this bottle is potent and godlike. The most prominent notes that jump out on my skin are the woody rose - a dusty patchouli mixes with the floral perfectly. THEN comes the civet; I am OBSESSED with civet - a note that is poorly underated in todays perfumes. The civet then mingles with what smells to me like a clove-honey mixture.The cardamon, of course, is hard to miss.

For men/males who are too ignorant to venture out and look beyond manmade fragrance marketing, this would be a good starter, as it is very much like a mans opulent cologne. The aldehydes are to DIE for in this perfume. This is most definitely a staple in your perfume collection if you're a lover of 80's powerhouses.

gfp
gfp

great scent for a great price. not an oldie though not for young teen agers. it is a perfume for women over 35. it is a perfect womenly scent. sweet but in a special- gentle way. can be worn during the day in winter. got compliments while wearing it. sillage and staying power are very good.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

I bought an EDP today and I'm satisfied. Very complex, elegant fragrance. At the beginning smells sweet and heavy, but later it evolves into pleasant and very elegant smell. I believe this is rather evening perfume, I can imagine wearing it to opera, perfect. That's why the name Diva?

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

My beloved Fendi lives!!!!! OMG this smells almost identical to Fendi!!! I wore Fendi for years and when they discontinued it, I WAS HORRIFIED. Now I can re-live my wonderful years and memories with scent again. Thanks Diva for making my life wonderful ONCE AGAIN!!!! IM A HAPPY GIRL NOW!!!

valbona.bergman
valbona.bergman

This is NOT outdated, it is NOT old lady smell rather it is timeless, powerful, it is worthy of red lipstick and high heels. It defines a woman with class and it smells like million dollars. Very feminine and bold but chic also , a woman in her 30s being successful. For me is love at first smell. It reminds of old time prosperity and opulence.I have smelled outdated perfumes like dana-tabu but this is sooo much different.It is retro because of the luxury that it emits.A gem.
I understand that people that have smelled the first edition will never like anything else,but for us smelling it the first time, we can appreciate it differently.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

There are no scents I adore more than the rich, succulent, all out big frags of all scents 90's and before, but.. I have such mixed feelings about Diva because the head and heart notes are sharp and harsh on me. I smell much more bergamot, cardamom and coriander than rose; this blend carries a dry, masculine aura which does not jibe with the name "Diva". If this is a diva, I imagine her to be menacingly overweight with coal black hair pulled back in a severe bun wearing garish makeup, and though her voice is magical, even divine, she is hard to like as she comes across as ruthless and mean. This frag reminds me of an unforgiving, pushy, demanding, austere personality, no traits I am fond of or fitting to me. It is a cold scent; rude and crass. Perhaps "Dom", "Shove", or "Austere" may have been a more fitting name. The EDP is hard, so I tried the EDT which is unfortunately no better, only a tad less of a mean punch in the nose; a sharp, masculine deodorant. This "Diva" is aggressive, and not in a good, admirable or sexy way.

There is something I do like about this fragrance but cannot figure out what. A decent hint of a fabulous rose does make an attempt to bud occasionally but not enough to matter. Sold to Ferragamo who apparently ripped that perfect rose right out of the ground, though I barely detected rose or any other lovely note in my vintage EDP. Overall, it still has a sharp and ominously serious feel to me. It does smell very much like Fendi (Fendi) which I have no care for at all, though there is something I almost like about Diva if I could only figure out what! Maybe simply knowing this is one of "those" vintage frags nothing will ever be like again? Even so, that is not enough to make me want to wear this scent. *perplexed*

It is a rough fragrance and I do not imagine a beautiful, confident, composed, goddess-like woman when I smell it. This is the awful, stern, aloof, controlling headmistress at a girl's school. I am so sorry I smell no "Diva" as per my interpretation of what a diva is. Ungaro's Diva smells mean and bully-ish on me and to me. A few more tries with no success and mine will be up for sale. I hope I do not have to remove this mean person from my house. She/he/it better settle down and become even a tiny bit sweeter, more likeable fast, or.... Diva dismissed.

LuLuGoes
LuLuGoes

Diva Emanuel Ungaro for women is a gorgeous Italian fragrance. The notes are different on paper, but it does remind me of Luciano Soprani Strass for women and Luciano Soprani for women (discontinued).

Diva was supposedly a favorite or the signature fragrance of Sophia Loren.

I can totally understand that match. Diva and Sophia are both rich, decadent, feminine, and timeless.

The prominent rose in Diva is vivid and red, very different from a white floral. But the rose is tamed by citrus and wood, which gives this fragrance a dry, shimmering depth.

The EDP is potent and dries down to a scarlet bouquet sweetened with vanilla and sandalwood.

I have heard that this has been reformulated. But I think the current Diva (which I have and am reviewing here) has retained its classic, sophisticated beauty.

I love Paloma Picasso. Many reviewers say it is similar to Diva. I can sense a slight resemblance, but I find Paloma Picasso to be much darker and more animalic. It also lacks the hint of vanilla that sets off the powdery softness of Diva.

Diva also reminds me of Roberto Cavalli Oro for women.

I smell gorgeous roses,

siren civet,

coy coriander,

deep patchouli,

warm honey,

and elegant sandalwood.

Not to mention an earthy background of oakmoss.......

SUBLIME!!!!!!!!!!

paulie86
paulie86

I got this perfume for Christmas from by best friend in school. I didn't really know what to expect because i've only casually read about it in the past never thinking to pick it up. On first spray I was like this smells so familiar then it hit me it smells like Chanel Coco mixed with Givenchy Ysatis and a little Paloma Picasso thrown in for good measure. I can smell a deep red rose and sensual ylang-ylang covered in soft spices. Diva is sexy and in your face with an over dose of civet and honey. As Diva dries down it gets softer with more of the florals blooming and becomes a bit more calm and fresh. Diva is an extremely beautiful and elegant perfume. If you love rose based fragrances you'll most likely love Diva. Lasting power is good one or two spritzes is all you need and it lasts a good remainder of the day. I've worn this in the morning to the grocery store and have worn it to a dinner party and nights out I love that it can be dressed up or down. This bottle will last me forever but I would repurchase when it runs out I love it lol.

benpaul12
benpaul12

This smells about 90% like Fendi but with the civet a little stronger and to me, perhaps of higher quality.

Mum is going to love me this Christmas, it's under the tree for her after about 2 years of looking for an alternative!

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

TO DIE FOR! Must have been my lucky day as I stumbled upon a 50 ml bottle of vintage Ungaro Diva. At Ross. Filene'sBasement of the '' NameBrands For Less'' in the West-formula chains.

Diva has far surpassed all expectations; this perfume has that elusive combination and balance of ingredients I have been searching for some time now.Unwittingly, I am fleshing out that something along the lines Rose/oakmoss/civet/honey could possibly be the reoccuring vintage melody that keeps playing around my head.

Somewhere deep in my core,Ungaro Diva tricks my memory back to the glamorous world of the early 1960s, and my earliest scented memories. I remember my mother donning those elegant shifts with matching jackets and stiletto heels for special occasions.It was always one of those damp, grey leavless days that looked like late afternoon all day long. I remember sitting in the back seat of the car going to a holiday party. My parents smoking, making me carsick again and suddenly catching a whiff of the basenotes of oakmoss, civet in the fragrances of my mother, or my elegantly dressed European aunts.

In my opinion, Diva could be the most perfectly executed Chyrpe in a balance of ingredients I have yet encountered. It gets it's sweetness from honey, it is sparkling and intoxicates as does champagne. The rose is sublime-and I have a difficult time finding a rose that fits my chemistry and doesn't go bitter. I just can't get over the perfect balance of notes. The civet, oakmoss honey and rose are achingly beautiful, so in perfect harmony.

Ross, known lately for fragrances which have broke the record for the shortest amount of time from release date at Macy's to bargain basement. Multiple boxes of Bieber's K.Kardashian and Jordan Sparks, whoever. The last place I typically would find an example of the old fashioned Chypre school. Partially for comparison's sake, I purchased a 50 ml vintage. I wonder why this fragrance is relatively inexpensive to so many other comparable perfumes.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

I never tried the vintage, but just got a new bottle, smells great. Rich floral chypre, opulent and classy.

Iris_it
Iris_it

Just received an old version of Diva EdP mini : gorgeous ! I am not particularly drown by roses but as I always say , there are exceptions when it comes to masterpieces . This is red and bright gold , oh ! I have just realized that those are the colors of the juice and label :-) and really makes you think of elegant long dresses . It is an intense,feminine ,rich , longlasting perfume and very smooth ,delicious honeyed light sweetness ... it is easy to wear for me as it is a real Beauty !

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

I have an older version of EdT and really like it. Just yesterday I received a full old version EDP in the box. Let me tell you.... it rock n rolls!! Beautifully ornate. Opens with sparkly rose/floral, fantastic amount of oakmoss... moves to honey and dense civet... mmmmmmmm Not for everyone, but wow, if you've got a hot date, wear this.

nanita99
nanita99

Un hermosa fragancia, cítrica y con enorme sillage,, incluso después del baño puedes percibirla, la compre por los reviews de su similitud con Fendi, tengo este perfume y no se parece en nada, pero es hermosa por derecho propio.

A very beautiful fragance, is not like Fendi, enormous sillage, very loud , a truly masterpiece. I love Fendi but Diva is special :)

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Aaah... This is s what I look for in a fragrance. Rich, sparkling, opulent! Slightly sweet & fizzy in the opening, like fresh cut fruit, aldehydes, green nuances, and then the florals come into play! Jasmine, ylang-ylang, narcissus, rose, carnation... There is where I stop trying to pick out the floral players, at this point the fragrance is very well balanced, at that perfect point of umami. Not too sweet, not too green, rich civet & woods, not TOO much of anything! Quite complex, a very "high perfume" in the classic sense. An opulent, sparkling balance that's very glamorous! It would feel out of place worn with a t-shirt & jeans, although I'd probably do it anyway. In my plain house clothes today, I suddenly feel as if I'm in a ball gown! Very sensuously aware, I can't stop sniffing my wrist. My sample, I have no idea if its vintage, or current, or if there's been a reformulation or its discontinued! One or the other seems likely, as its too mossy & bold for a current fragrance. They don't make them like this anymore! As of this moment, I know very little about this fragrance, other than Diva is very aptly named! Not a temperamental diva, she is all class, and complex layers that you're dying to get to get to know. A trilling laugh that lures you in, & hooks you! The base here I'm madly in love with. Civet, moss, sandalwood, and all of the delicious things that please me in quality. This will be a full bottle purchase for sure! I'm very thankful for the sample I was given, it has spawned a new fragrance love for me! If you love the "high perfume" classics, Diva is a must sniff! Speaking of, I must sniff again.. Delicious.. I can't wait to leave a beautiful trail of Diva in my wake! Look out, she's a bombshell!

boruvka44

The reformulated version is not exactly well done.
I love Diva for the strong natural smelling roses with strong woody oakmoss, for the bunch of velvety civet, sandalwood and a drop of honey.
I just bought new bottle of EDP, according to the manufacture code its from 2010. The bottom label doesn´t say UNGARO anymore, but Ferragamo Parfums.
There is barely any oakmoss, no civet and the sour rose smells like rosewater cosmetics.
If i´m correct, Ifra banned oakmoss in 2001. Some reviw here said all up to 2004 is the original formula. Another source here on fragrantica mentioned the country where its made in. France should be the good old one.

What an idea to sell Jacques Polge creation to some Ferragamo, the king of perfume losers

elsie.oliveros
elsie.oliveros

I so wanted to like this fragrance: great reviews, beautiful bottle, found a great deal on a vintage perfume, love Ungaro as a designer, and, it's Sophia Loren's favorite! But, no..it just doesn't resonate with me. Too bad, it makes a statement and the sillage is enormous.
Update: I had my good friend try it, she loved it! It smells wonderful on her. It is now her signature scent.

jax mull
jax mull

Stunning fragrance, makes a statement long lasting and not to sweet . I am a perfume snob and have a really good nose, this is a definite. Lots of compliments wearing this one.

drugstore classics

My large EDP has just arrived in the mail, and given the fact that it now feels like my birthday ~ I can't wait any longer to share my joy!

Those who state that Diva is a tamed cat are correct. Without ever having smelled the original, I'm aware that a civet - heavy fragrance would be more intense than this. And yet....... there is a quelque chose here that is intoxicating and chic, both primitive and refined! Diva can still hold her own with the BEST. Especially now that they've all been reformulated - *sigh*.

What do I smell? Coriander, patchouli, rose, honey, oakmoss, and more coriander. For me a lovely surprise, as I adore coriander! It has a green freshness that surprises me, keeping the blend from becoming cloying or heavy. I can't believe how appropriate this feels.

Comfortably compelling.....

So rather than lament her undoubted former glory, I'd rather celebrate the present ~ while she is still with us. I suggest Diva lovers buy another bottle soon, as I recently saw this perfume for sale in the discontinued section of a perfume shop!

FIVE stars

Leonore
Leonore

Emanuel Ungaro Diva was created by Jacques Polge and had his fingerprints marked all over it ~ not surprisingly! A stunning Italian Prima Donna with a great voice and a distinct Chanel vibe, it certainly made a lasting impression. I am so happy I've still got some of the original left. The latest offering (alas, drastically reformulated) is a pale, weak variation on the same theme. Lovely, beautifully balanced, still recognizably a former diva. But it's had its soul knocked out ~ no oakmoss, no civet, no resonance, no guts, no glory. Just a nice golden floral scent with a subdued voice and perfect manners.

glitterlust
glitterlust

Sadly, I don't know if this will grow on me. It reminds me so strongly of Azzaro Acteur and even though it is far softer and elegant in a wrist to wrist comparison I can't kick that association.

antfarm
antfarm

Diva has a split personality depending on how she is worn: dabbed vs. sprayed.

I used to wear this one sprayed onto a cotton ball and then dabbed on my wrists. The civet-rose-oakmoss combo would whisper sensuous, naughty things to me throughout the day like it was a secret just between us Diva-gals. It made me feel like draping myself in a transparent white sheet, standing on my desk, and publicly reclaiming the innate goddesshood of all women. As a Leo, I feel Diva is a very alpha female, Leo-y perfume.

When sprayed, Diva is a bit much. It reminds me of Blanche from Golden Girls because it's sassy, bold, and borderline tacky in an endearing "favorite aunt" kind of way. It is also very "of its time"--a huge '80s perfume with an "I am woman, hear me roar" kind of message.

Diva is probably my favorite rose perfume--one of the only roses I could ever wear without it smelling like perming solution with my chemistry.

fragrancelover
fragrancelover

Another heavy fragrance that smells heavenly in the bottle, but just does not work with my chemistry.

Jinjanoo
Jinjanoo

Lucky me finding ANOTHER perfume I now love. Thankyou fragrantica.

missymary
missymary

Diva is rose with a difference, it has mild rose sweetness, but what hits me immediately is the mature musky mossiness. I get honey there too, a lot like Elie Saab.

For 15 minutes it's quite strong [the EDP] but then it sinks abruptly to a very low-key softness. Reviews led me to thinking Diva is a real old bomb of sillage that lasts all day, but it's far less than that, and far more chypre and ladylike.

I'm guessing that this perfume has suffered from the banning of civet. It's like Mexican food with chilies left out. There's a manque quality to it,the feeling of a kick that should have been there, and has gone missing. Still nice though, and probably more to modern taste.

shannonny
shannonny

jtd wrote the best review for my money. I don't have her educated nose, so she told my story for me. (My Diva is an edp, glass-stoppered bottle. I apply it to a cotton ball first, then to myself.)

If I'm reading correctly, the edp is the better version over the edt, for softness and richness. I guess so: My Diva is like a liquer: redolent, vaporous, heady. It is also, in a way unexpectedly for its intensity, by far the rosiest in my small selection of scents.

I love, love rose. Rich, deep, dark rose, and jtd is so very right in saying that this is a dry, rosewood-type rose, rather than a fresh, green rose. Diva is like damask roses dipped in clover honey and fried gently in unsalted butter, then deglazed with Courvoisier VSOP--a gently spicy finish that keeps it from being over-voluptuous.

Put honey in a fragrance and my skin will zero in on it, and even create honey where there isn't any--this happens. Diva is all about the honey and rose for me. Hallelujah! (I don't pull the civet and ylang-ylang, which are easy enough to get elsewhere. But a rich, long-lasting rose can be an elusive little minx.)

Yes, do try first, I suppose, the edp if you can. In all its versions it does seem to be a divisive fragrance.

Longevity: My skin is a ravenous scent-eater, even when oiled or lotioned. Diva is my heaviest hitter, lasting up to four or five hours, which for me is huge. If scent lasts well on you, I would seriously just apply this with a cotton swab.
Sillage: Heavy, then arm's-length after an hour, close to skin at two hours. On me.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

I had the pleasure of owning and enjoying a pre-formulated bottle of this Diva. Lush roses wrapped in oak-moss, a lovely carnation (normally a no-no note on me) dipped in honey on a bed of sumptuous amber.

Was she strong? Yes, but in a very good way. Was she 80s style? Yes, but in a classy and beautiful manner. *YUM* But every bottle has a last drop and sooner or later you'll reach it. So, when I saw this in a shop I decided to try it despite that I was told it's reformulated. It's Ungaro...surely he wouldn't murder his leading lady? Right?

Oh dear! I am soo sad! It's like they took an old school Hollywood Diva, stripped her of her designer clothes and banned her from starring in feature films to *star* in day-time soaps. On my skin it's a aldehyde one-note mess of strong perfume that smells a lot like Gloria Vanderbildt (Gloria smells MUCH better though!) Nothing is left to remind me of this unique and beautiful scent.

I must assume that the *reformulation* gang has murdered yet again another innocent and beautiful victim. A true star & Diva....If I can't find a pre-reformulated bottle...I shall miss her.

Diva really is the perfect name for this fragrance. The scent is bold, outrageous and dramatic. I have fondly named it, "the animalic peach".

If you don't like civet in either its natural or synthetic form, then you probably won't like Emanuel Ungaro's Diva. You also have to have a good appreciation of boozy peach, carnation, narcissus, oakmoss and aldehydes. We're talking classic 80's fragrances. However despite being around for a fair while, Diva still manages to carry a hefty price tag in Australian perfume stores. My guess is that Diva's fans still buy her and wear her with pride.

To my nose, it's like a revved up version of Guerlain's Mitsouko. But perhaps not as refined as Guerlain scents tend to be. The chypre element is there, however it's also on the fruity side of things. A strong hit of carnation and narcissus in the heart brings to mind fragrances like Chloe Narcisse and Paloma Picasso.

I'm drawn to this fragrance, although I'm a little tentative about wearing it. It's the kind of smell I associate with the older women in my life, and I mean that in the least offensive way. Maturity wise, I'm just not there yet.

The 80's was the era of heavy hitters, and Diva does not disappoint in regards to projection. I don't know much about reformulations, but from my experience with the most current version, it keeps with that old-school vibe. I'll be interested to see what its much anticipated flanker, Diva Rose, will be like.

More than likely those that lived during the 80's will know this fragrance well, but for those that didn't, give it chance. I did and I don't regret it.

grasslands
grasslands

I first came across Diva in the eighties as an Australian teenager holidaying in Sicily with my extended family. One of my snobby Sicilian cousins wore it, and I always associated it with her in a negative way. I don’t really remember what it smelled like, because I was having a love affair with the original Poison, but the bottle was prominently displayed on her dresser.

Anyway today I was at My Chemist and there was a lone bottle of the edt sitting on the shelf. I looked at the ingredients – oakmoss, tick - so I weighed up the reviews I had read against the memory of my cousin, and thankfully took the bottle home with me.

No doubt the edt I’ve got is nothing like the vintage edp. Even so I like this scent very much, and I don’t have the heart-break of knowing what it used to smell like. On me it’s a very powdery fruit-tinted rose and ylang with softened woods - matt and suede-like in texture. It’s not animalic at all, which for me is a good thing. It has a soft sillage with good longevity and I can imagine wearing it on a long work-day without having to touch up. I don’t think it was ever meant to be a work-day scent, but that’s the difference between the past and the present.

Part of the following is from my blog:

When I see sandalwood and iris listed as basenotes to a vintage scent, I really want to sample it. It’s likely that high quality ingredients were used, and that you won’t get something of this quality in a new scent unless you want to fork over $100 or so, if not a lot more (think Amouage, for example). What’s interesting is that when I’ve sampled new ones that are supposed to have such ingredients, I’ve been disappointed. There is usually a lack or richness or complexity, at the very least.

Ungaro’s Diva (1983), a “feminine” Jacques Polge creation, is the kind of scent I imagine being marketed today by a company like Amouage, though as unisex. The notes over at Fragrantica are given as:

“The opening is classic, floral with a citrusy note, which harmonizes with the note of tuberose. Ylang-ylang is mixed with a rose. The sweet and sensual finale is reached by the notes of vanilla, sandalwood and iris.”

Some have pointed out that this has a Coco by Chanel quality, in that prunol was used in large amounts (imparting a “dark” fruit quality). I found Coco (vintage) to have too much, with not enough of anything else of note to balance it out. When I took the cap off my vintage Diva bottle (it’s a spray bottle) I could smell the richness. There is also a very strong animalic quality, which seems like mostly civet. This is the kind of thing I thought I’d get from Musc Ravageur, which instead dries down on me to a very amber-dominant scent that is unbalanced and nothing special in any way.

What’s great about Diva is that the fruit and animalic elements are very strong yet they never become cloying or irritating in any way. The richness is amazing. This is something I have yet to encounter in any recent scent, designer or niche. On some level, Diva is a tamer version of vintage Kouros, with the fruit taking the place of Kouros’ honey. However, Diva has a bit of structure (which is actually a bit “masculine”) whereas Kouros often feels a bit like an olfactory jellyfish.

After two hours or so, the animalic/fruity aspects recede and other notes become more obvious. It really seemed like there was quite a bit of oakmoss here, so I went over to the Estonian site, because often they seem to have more complete note pyramids, and saw that oakmoss, vetiver, honey, opoponax, civet, and musk are also listed. The closest “masculine” scent I can think of is Iquitos, but that one is creamier and without the strong oakmoss. The iris gives Diva a drier and more “particulate” quality. This, along with some sandalwood, leads me to think I prefer Diva (as for “gender,” the drydowns are so close as to be interchangeable, IMO, in this context).

Though this is very strong and animalic, it never has that leaden quality I encountered with vintage Royal Copenhagen Cologne, for example. If you are an aficionado, grab a bottle on ebay before the prices get crazy, but I doubt if the new version is worth owning. The casual perfumer wearer will likely be overwhelmed by this one.

Croneangel
Croneangel

80's version: I'd be willing to hurt someone for it! (Well, almost!)Seriously, wish I could find it!
Newer version: Lost some depth, added some sharp edges. But you know, its still a lot of fun to wear! Shes LOUD, BOLD and when those honeyed roses rise up through the vapors.... she is DIVINE!
We all have friends like that, don't we? Usually they're too brash, but everyone loves them because they make you feel happy and they have a heart of gold! So it is with Diva. Its a friendship that I cherish.

olitunia
olitunia

What can I say? Only a true Diva can wear the Diva. The fragrance is a classic, it is heavy, it is "loud" and because of that I would not really recommend it for everybody.
I have enjoyed this scent a lot, it always lifted my moods and got me feeling all "dressed up", so if you have a good occasion to wear it - go for it.
As for a 20 year old, this scent was too much for me. I consider it to be much more approriate for a mature woman, and even being one, I would still hesitate before using it during the day. The sandalwood mixed with vanilla and iris is a super sweet but also an extremely heavy combination.

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

Definitely a "big" perfume. A real treasure and makes me happy to wear it. I can chime in with others comments about letting this grande dame sit a spell.

About 30 minutes in, it morphs into a deep honeyed rose. Very similar to Coco Chanel, vintage Coco that is! Deep, rich, feminine and sexy! Sillage is enormous and easily lasts 12+ hours.

celebrity89
celebrity89

I still have my bottle from 1985, and it still smells OK! This is a vibrant classic. A little goes a long way.

rithacha

Three years ago, I reviewed Diva here stating that it smelled exactly like cat urine. Now it ranks among my all-time favorite chypres. Possibly the stinker sample I swapped for was the recent EDT version--if you're considering Diva, please look for the vintage EDP in the rectangular bottle! It makes a world of difference, since I hear Diva has been butchered in reformulation.

What does Diva smell like, then? The opening is extremely retro. The initial sillage will fill the room (literally, this stuff is powerful) with bright aldehydes and spices. Diva's aldehyde topnote is bright and sparkling, rather than powdery and soapy. The bergamot and coriander lend cheerfully crisp definition to the diffusive aldehyde bomb.

Within half an hour, Diva settles down a little bit. The sillage goes from being a roomful to roughly two arms throw. Roses dominate Diva's heart. The rose note is not green, not bitter, not jammy, not cooked. The rose smells fresh and ripe, made slightly creamy by tropical ylang ylang and hedonic jasmine. I imagine a field of enormous red cabbage roses, petals velvet-plush, fat dewdrops of honey veritably dripping off.

This beautiful rose is supported from underneath by a martini-dry chypre base. Lots of forest-at-night oakmoss, patchouli, and civet. Oakmoss lovers will not be disappointed. The chypre base is necessary and inevitable; its dry woodiness plays up the sweet ripeness of the rose beautifully.

As fadwa.daddou mentioned below, Diva shares Coco Chanel's spicy-rose opulence. I'd say it's the chypre counter-part to Coco's spicy oriental. Composed by the same nose, the wonderful Jacques Polge, one year before Coco was launched. In fact, Diva smells quite "Chanel-ish" with its balance and complexity.

Diva in the vintage EDP formulation is not pretty-- it's powerful and gorgeous. Not for everybody, but for me, Diva is one of those rare scents that I would describe as heart-breakingly beautiful.

fadwa.daddou
fadwa.daddou

It reminds me of coco chanel!!is there anyone who agree with me??

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Am I missing something here. What is exactly divarish about this scent? I bought it on a whim based on the combo of "rose chypre" which I ordinarily love or can at least appreciate. On me it came across as a synthetic 80's power scent - but I use the word "power" lightly, because it was not the sillage monster I had hoped it would be, but faded fairly quickly from my wrists. I'm not sure what notes I detected, something fairly sharp, floral and abrasive within the first 5 minutes, aldehydes and then a fairly quick exit...I will reserve my overrall judgement for my second spray, and if my mind changes I will come back and edit.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

there are three perfumes i can live with my whole life if i can have them in unlimited supply: Vintage Eau Sauvage, Nombre Noir, and Cuiron.

Nombre Noir is so beautiful that even if one fragrance can be 5% like it, it qualifies for being a quality one. In my opinion, DIVA is at least 10% like Nombre Noir if you can find vintage version. Any DIVA batch from or before 2004 is a good bet. latest version seems pretty thin.

nyoka
nyoka

Im wearing this today and have decided to swap it.It starts out a soft woody musky scent.Later it evolves into pure powder on me.I not saying that is bad but,my husband said I smelled like Ponds cold cream.That was the deciding factor.OH

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

First spritz was a real nightmare to me! It smelled like the cheap aftershave that our delivery guy wears all the time. It took only a minute to settle though. Thank God! You really have to let that one settle down a bit if you have dry skin like me. It is not for everyone that is for certain. The "people who like this also like..." list is very accurate in this case. If you do not like early 80s power fragrances, STAY AWAY!! I also agree that it does smell a little like soir de lune, but as if someone had tried to replicate it with all slightly cheaper ingredients somehow. There is no way this could be mistaken for soir de lune because the civet is much too strong. Sadly, it does not work too well with my body chemistry and our dry climate. I think warm skin and humid weather would bring the warmth out of this one much better. I really respect this fragrance but I am not sure I will keep it. Others have described it way better than I did. I'll come back for an EDIT after I get the final drydown....

this was for the Eau de toilette. Is there an eau de parfum as well?

I don't know if I can wait that long... it is burning my eyes! so sad...

Migalex
Migalex

I wore the EDT lots of times and never anyone commented on it. Never mind, I find it really good and even exciting and really enjoy wearing it. This is a really nice scent. I find it very similar to Paloma Picasso EDT, maybe a bit more floral. It is also similar to La Perla and Magie Noire. To Knowing I do not find it similar, unlike other people. Differently from those four perfumes, knowing smells very much of coriander, which I actually love. Back to Diva, it is a really special scent, pleasant, sexy, complex, different, and with a very special texture, ethereal and metalic at the same time. To me it is the best Jacques Polges's creation. And another good thing, you can get it quite cheap.

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

I just received a tester that I ordered from an online merchant. If I didn't know that they were reputable I would suspect that somebody pulled a switcheroo. Have I been bamboozled or did they change the formula that much? Smells noticeably different from the mini I had back in 1990. Not to say that I don't think it is splendid. It is more contemporary in that it is not the loud, opulent scent that helped define the 80s. The volume is turned down, the rose more tender. Like an opening bud as opposed to a prize winning bloom.

There are some who may like this version more, if only because it is more wearable. You don't need to reserve it for evening wear only. For this reason, I think I like it better. I just don't understand why they didn't release this as a flanker to the original. hey could have called it "Apprentice" or "Opening Act" but "Diva"? No.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

I bought this unsniffed as the notes were almost identical to my favourite Valentino Vendetta and Red Door however there is something slightly too green and dryly herbal in this to work well on me - please don't let this deter you though as it is a beautiful scent which may work wonderfully on the right chemistry. Amazingly 80's bottle like a cut lead crystal whisky decanter.

meg1969
meg1969

I bought this reformulated EdP unsniffed as I had fond memories of the original. I agree with other reviewers that the voluptuousness now has a new sharp screechy quality. The scent still has real artistry in the composition, but I feel like the current version is just a cheap craft fair imitation of the genuine article. If you are buying this fume for nostalgia's sake, save yourself some disappointment and try to get the vintage formulation. I am guessing the manufacturer cheaped out and replaced a more expensive, quality element with something less expensive.The new EdP is not the same. Sigh.

puppynose

I'm revising my revised review- which I've left below as separate from this revision. Sadly, there appear to be a few versions Diva. The edp alone has been reformulated twice, each time to it's greater demise. I have now invested in my obsessive quest an absurd amount of time and money. I have edp from current formulation and don't care for it- it has a strong bitter raspy harsh high aldehyde note and lacks the smooth beauty complexity and balance of the oldest formula. I have some older but not oldest stock of edp which is more near to the original old formula but still a tad off balance lacking the smooth soft honeyed depth and containing a bit of the nearly raspy pungent note which is chokingly harsh and strong in the newest formula. I have also what I believe is the original/oldest formulation edp. Generally this comes in glass stoppered non-spray bottles. It has an incomparable beauty grace and perfection in it's balance and impeccable quality ingredients, recognizable honeyed rose absent in newest formulas and faint in semi-new formula. The oldest formula honeyed rose aspect seems to be more than phenylacetic acid though I believe that's an important part of it. I obtained genuine perfume extrait and find it is nearly the same structue as the original edp, smooth as silk but a tad less honeyed. As I already noted the edt is entirely different in structure- the hidious screechy note dominates and offends, it is not the same note as the "bitter-pungent" note found in newer edp. The edt note is screechy sharp, a bit sour, fork in the sinus hidious. The newer edp note-the "bitter" note is dry, a little scratchy, has an almost pungent green oak moss feel to it, which is not deep or base, sort of middle note. and it could have been a decent component if used in relatively smaller proportions. I'll continue to seek well cared for bottles of vintage edp and extrait. I suspect it would be futile and disappointing to seek vintage edt- I don't know if it even exited as an edt until recently.

melancholybaby

I have reviewed this fragrance before (see FAR below) and it is one of my all-time favorites. What I wanted to add, this time, was a comparison between the EdP and the EdT .

The EdP is the one that is most usually sold, and it is the iconic floral chypre that I adore; warm, sexy, with excellent sillage and longevity. However, it is a fragrance that announces itself, and one that I do not usually include in my summer rotation.

The EdT has an opening that is not like the EdP; there is a more fruity note, which lasts about 30 minutes. After that, the drydown is remarkably like the EdP, however, it is very close to the skin, and much lighter, softer . Longevity is acceptable for an EdT.

Will likely keep both in my wardrobe for ages to come!

laura_0674
laura_0674

Great classic, elegant perfume with excellent sillage and long lasting. It resembles with 24 faubourg, but it's stronger, powerfull. Use it carrefully to avoid headache! i loooooove it!

gazelle
gazelle

Waited too long to buy Diva. I think I have the reformulation because it is not the Symphony others describe. On me, it smells just like Madame Rochas all the way to just before the lingering note!. That's not bad because I like them both, but I could have bought Arpege-or has that one been reformulated since the mid-60's when I last enjoyed it?

delara
delara

wonderful scent , but impossible to find in my city in North Italy

daisyM
daisyM

Totally agree with Sassy1. When I think I liked this one in the early '90s! Either my taste has changed (dramatically) which I doubt because I still like many perfumes of that time, or it has been reformulated, but now I can't stand it. There is a note in it which I find extremely disturbing. I can't identify what, because looking at the composition, there is nothing wrong. Maybe it's the way it's (re-)mixed, or they are hiding something. Btw, Ungaro perfumes belong now to the Ferragamo brand.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I really thought this one could be wonderful but it is not even close to what I was hoping.

The top, fingernail polish or varnish. Then soapy roses. It lasts and lasts with a cheap smelling synthetic that stifles the senses.

Nothing like First and it is similar to Senso and Apercu (without the cinammon) Can't stand either of them either.

I usually really like 80's scents, but not the current version of Diva.

Scrub, rinse, repeat.

SheShe
SheShe

Diva is a fragrance from the 80's and you can straightly tell it is vintage type. This Diva is impressive indeed, noticeable, rich, high society position and a hint of sweetness, sadness. Aldehydes to be sniffed in the first place. Not my cup of tea, may be liked though.

lapurrla
lapurrla

One of my vintage minis should never be used again. It's gone off or it's been topped up with water or another perfume. The real Diva is a rich, opulent fragrance. Now this is a powerhouse perfume! For making a statement, this is what I'll turn to. Maybe that statement will be get your oxygen masks out (if I apply too much).

boruvka44

Woody floral chypre in a lovely bottle. I read Sophia Loren and Sophie Marceau use to wear Diva (to me this scent is absolutely Loren in the movie Marriage Italian Style:)
It's like a lady in soft flannel nightdress, with sexy lingerie underneath.
Fresh rose, rose wood, velvety civet, oakmoss, honeycomb, carnation, aldehydes and orange. Sunny, warm, elegant fragrance. The italian style is detectable and even though it came out in 80's, I still think Ungaro paid a tribute to italian divas of the 50-60's.

Being a perfume lover who rolls his eyes at gender-biased marketing, I was very interested to smell THIS particular perfume...not only for the name itself, but to see what all the hubbub was about. I often do reviews in batches of four or five (using strategically placed areas far away enough that the aromas do not interfere with each other) and had planned to review DIVA last, the other day. When I sprayed it on I was confounded by its complexity and enthralled by its deep beauty. I would have to do a full wearing on this one to "get" all of her facets and capture her essence in words. I DID do a full wearing, the very next day, yet could not capture just what it was I was feeling as I wore it. So today...

DIVA takes the stage, amid flashing lights of mandarin and bergamot. She saunters sexily (coriander and cardamom) towards the microphone. She is aglow with aldehydes as she greets her fans, taking away their breath with her beauty and beginning with a naughty little number as her voice (sexy and softly seductive as tuberose) floats over the crowd. As the performance gets underway she does all her old hits: love songs (roses and jasmine), songs of unrequited love (geranium), warm happy songs (ylang) and sweet songs of innocence (narcissus). After many costume changes and lots of cheers she descends from above the stage throwing roses (red and full) to her fans...raining their creamy silky petals down on them, letting them know she loves them as much (if not more) than they love her. Diva lives for adoration, the show and the spectacle...but underneath she is a woman with the same needs as everyone else. She just wants to love and be loved. She is not like the new "flash in the pan" acts who seduce their fans with high skirts and low-cut tops and lots of suggestive lyrics...NO SIR! SHE is a class act who keeps some mystery about her, she is sexy and saucy, yet strong and grounded. She makes them want her by giving it all (on stage) but showing more of the sensuality within than without. Some call her a "has-been" or old fashioned...I call her a true star, a wonder and she has truly earned her name!! The crowd chants her name "DI-VA! DI-VA!! DI-VA!!!". She is tired, nearly spent...but her fans and their love give her a second wind. She returns to the darkened stage...a single spotlight (iris in color) shines on her and she is dressed in a costume that is vaguely oriental. She is covered in sweat, but as the flames begin to dance over the crowd she breaks into an soul-stirring song that is at once full of love and achingly poignant, as her honeyed sweet words reach the hearts of all around. Her voice is drier now, and she sings of memories of moss blowing in old trees and how her mother meant so much to her and all she ever wanted to do was make her proud! As the final encore ends, she leaves the stage to whistles and shouts and heads to her dressing room. Flowers are still hitting the stage from adoring fans. She is in her dressing room, showered make-up off and dons just a bit of her favorite perfumed oil, as she sits and looks in the mirror. She smiles and says to herself: "You STILL got it Girl!" and grabs her coat to leave. Tomorrow she has to do it all over again...

Sillage: Excellent
Longevity: Amazing
Overall: 4.5/5

If Diva means "goddess" (ie: one who is revered, eternal and powerful), then this perfume has earned its name, for sure! She is more than just some combination of notes and nuances...she is artful, articulate and truly amazing! She may have come around almost forty years ago, but she is no "granny" perfume. She is still sexy, still enchanting and nowhere NEAR dated. I hope she keeps on rocking for a long time to come!!

jtd
jtd

I owe Diva a bit of an apology. It's a heavy rose chypre, an era-specific genre (70s-80s) that I love. In the past I've noted that I like some of Diva's cohorts more than Diva. (Paloma, Knowing, Scherrer, La Perla.) I've tended to point to what I find 'off' in Diva. Too much honey sweetness, not enough green, a bit soft for a chypre.

Well, on reflection, I was wrong. When I see Diva as a hybrid rose chypre/oriental, it comes beautifully into focus. What I used to see as a simple honey sweetness I now recognize as a wonderfully sweet, waxy-honeycomb scent that connects the heartnotes to the spicy amber drydown in a rather lavishly paced transition. I used to want more brash green with more patchouli and moss in the drydown. What was wrong with me? While there is an identifiably chypric drydown, the amber emphasis is both comfortable and stirring.

A few other bits make Diva's evolution so interesting to keep tuning in to. Right from the top there is an identifiable rose, but it is woody rather than green or dewy or brightly 'floral.' It calls to mind both rose and rosewood. And there's a slightly acerbic note that balances the honey and ties it to the dry spiciness that lasts through the entirety of Diva's drydown. Also, while I still hold that Diva is a rose chypre, there is an indolic note that suggests white flowers and keeps the rose from reading as strictly dark as in Scherrer or La Perla.

cinsot
cinsot

Very few perfumes have succeeded in "moving me" (on a soul level) over the years. The ones that have literally stopped me in my tracks all seem to share that aldehydic (is that even a word?) bridge. Like those gut-wrenching renditions of your favourite power ballads performed in front of the bathroom mirror. Yeah! Like that!

Something about Diva moves me and if life was a musical I would be bursting into song right about now.

Unabashed eighties opulence. Diva reeks of carnation and narcissus in alluring fashion. She IS that stereotypical immaculately dressed overly made-up Goddess wearing plastic clip-on earrings, but my goodness, this woman rocks the room.

She owns her space, and those of us brave enough to venture nearer, she changes us for the better. She shares her light.

Thank you to all Diva's fans for sharing the love to date as I acquired this beauteous EDP blind based on your praise.

sistertricked
sistertricked

at sheridanellis

no, it is not similar to senso by ungaro. I once smelled it from the bottle and it reminded me of joop femme, it's in that style

nada
nada

can anyone compare this to First? I love first but never tried DIVA, it seems very tempting from description..

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

Another Jacques Polge masterpiece from the gloriously excessive 80's, the eau de parfum contains just about every note known to modern perfumery. Jean Carles did this with TABU, a huge success for 'Dana' & still going strong for nearly eighty years. With 'DIVA' I keep at least a couple of bottles tucked away as you just never know,? they could pull the plug on this beauty at any time, Heaven forbid. Sure it's outrageously loud, that's the objective with this powerhouse civet honeyed tuberose dominated fragrance from 'Ungaro'. *DIVA* is simply "D-I-V-I-N-E", go on and treat yourself, for the price you can't go wrong & stock up while it's still readily available. A classic perfume of timeless integrity, beauty & strength !
UPDATE Dec 2011
Recently purchased 2 bottles of the eau de parfum and detected a trimmer/thinner formula as opposed to the previous supply obtained last year, this batch is less opulent and lacks that 80's richness I've come to love over the intervening years. It really is the time to stock up now folks !

vaiduakhu
vaiduakhu

Very similar to La Perla. I would be in cloud 9 if I haven't used La Perla before. It's really good but no surprise for me.

puppynose

I'm revising my review here as I have thankfully found that the consistently beautiful edp can still (crossing fingers) be reliably obtained from several reputable sources. Anyone who thinks this has been ruined by reformulation has probably made their erroneous conclusion based on smelling the edt after having loved the incomparable edp. I made that error myself. I didn't realize that had mistakenly ordered the edt after having decided (based on the edp) that I must begin stocking up so that if it ever does disappear, I'll have a "back up" supply. The item arrived and I still didn't notice it was the edt. That shouldn't be a big deal, right? Ha! Sure, I could just put on more edt to achieve the same effect as the edp, right? WRONG! WAAAAAAH! I hated it! It's not just lacking the deep round oaken animalic honeyed accord, but-and this is the deal breaker-it has a painfully sharp screechy note that doesn't fade until the the last trace of the scent is gone. That note screeches so loudly as to nearly drown out the lovely flowers that still manage to quietly sing in harmony while faintly the apparition of the hauntingly beautiful chypre base whispers her own sad and mournful ghost tale.

olga1780

Now I know i can't entirely trust my nose.......a while ago i said that Diva is not as loud as some other perfumes from the same family. Today I sprayed 4 times ( not my usual 6) and for at least 3 hours I felt like i was surrounded by the thick cloud of perfume ( which is exactly what i love!) An now, 6 hours later it is still there very noticeable.
Now I love it even more!!!!

I find Diva worn the best with black or red outfit and bright lipstick.

Singabera
Singabera

I don't divide perfumes by the ages of their's users, but that one is really "old" for me. I'm 26 and I do wear Chanel №5 and №19, Miss Dior, and I don't think that they are for the old ladies... But that one is really old - fashioned, not suits to a young girl.

linkypinky
linkypinky

[Off topic] Wow! This is such a beautiful bottle! They don't make them like this today. Silly as it is it can actually make me buy the perfume :)

NATALIA LORENZO
NATALIA LORENZO

unfortunately new diva has nothing to do with the original one. this reformulaed scent is horrible.
a disaster for old diva's users.

This is a much too strong scent that goes in the "80s direction" like Giorgio Beverly Hills Yellow or "First". Not my thing at all. Very nauseating and disturbing.

Paula Mendes
Paula Mendes

Marcante, profundo, sensual. Perfeito para ocasiões muito especiais. É um dos meus perfumes prediletos desde a adolescência, embora não seja um perfume para jovens, sempre adorei Diva. Tenho um frasco de 100 ml, como ele é muito forte, deve ser usado com parcimônia, recomendo a compra do frasco menor, pois com o tempo os perfumes em geral perdem suas principais características.

olga1780

I can't believe i missed out on this beauty for so long! No wonder Diva survived through 20+ years of perfumery evolution. This is a gorgeous floral aldehyde that belongs on the same shelf with First and Joy. But I think Diva is not as formal and the least loud among the 3. To me Diva has more of a naughty femme fatale personality.
Absolutely love it!

truffles
truffles

Ooooooooooh! I got my 50EDP of this just now in the post. At first sniff my heart sank and I thought 'oh not another one of these'. Not that it was bad but I don't really have a space for another Magie Noire/'mature sexy lady' perfume.
HowEVER..... just a few minutes into the wearing and this has totally TRANSFORMED. It is now something light, elegant, unique and has a big hit of ROSES!
I am really really pleased with this blind buy and surprised by this fragrance.
Although this perfume was created in the early 80s, it does not smell dated at all to me. It is timeless. Just beautiful. If you like quality perfumes that are very feminine but also a little bit different - something you will not smell out and about very often - go for this one. :)
ps. this is not as spicy/oriental as Paloma Picasso..
pps. I'm afraid that, in common with guest lola, this one fades quite fast on me :(. Still love it though!

Ohkit
Ohkit

My mother's signature perfume, Diva is one of a kind. A bit too strong at first, but seductive and erotic after an hour or so. It's the epitome of feminity, in my opinion.

Marvella
Marvella

IMO one of most beautiful scents from the eighties.For very confident and like to be noticed women. The wonderful bouquet of flowers.The dry-down is powdery and soft,nothing dirty in it.
Very feminine,strong,sensual composition.Bold and sexy.Ideal for winter.I use it sparingly,'cause a little one squirt of Diva is enough.I love it.

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

Diva is perfume with a capital "P". An '80's powerhouse. She has a commanding presence, very womanly and mature, but dated IMO.

I remember being a coatcheck girl in the 1980's at an upscale 4-star French restaurant called Le Cirque, and smelling this fragrance on some of the fur coats I attended to. (BTW, I don't wear fur, and am a vegetarian.) This is one strong perfume - perfume to the max! I sometimes felt I needed to wear an oxygen mask in the coatroom!

Diva's florals are very strong, with rose dominating. Mixed with the civet, she is a "dirty rose", to my nose, and reminds me of rose potpourri. Diva's definitely not an everyday scent, she's only appropriate for an evening out on the town. Diva's sexy, but she's too heavy for me to wear, and she makes me feel nauseous (sorry, Diva!).

kittensforme
kittensforme

I'm totally addicted to DIVA PARFUM (have worn it since @ 1985 and would do without food, clothes and shoes to have it. Smells so CLEAN and simply makes me happy. I'm worried, however, because I can't find it at Nordstrom's, Neiman's, or SAKS, etc. Ordered some online, but it seems not as rich as that I've gotten directly from the stores. Anyone else noticed this? Is there someplace either on the bottle or box that gives the date? Husband swears it's mosquito spray but I pay no attention.

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Review edp)

Diva is the 80's Queen. I love 80's and I have many fragrances of that decade. I feel Diva's scent is between Joop Femme and Beautiful by Estee lauder, and also shares some similarities with Ysatis by Givenchy. All this fragrances were created after Diva, and I think Diva is still the best of all.

Please stop comparing this, with the overwhelming and impossible to wear Paloma Picasso. Even the edp isn't as intense as paloma. I do not like Paloma, nor I ever liked it, but I do like Diva.

The bottle is gorgeous, truly DIVA-like!

blueberry
blueberry

Lovely, classy, elegant, powerful, feminine, lady-like, sophisticated, one of the best, well-blended chypre florals (I don't get any 'dirt' notes as in the case of some chypres). EDP is very long lasting. All in all: PERFETTO!
UPDATE: Only for elegant attire!
UPDATE 2: The only drawback is that wearing this fragrance makes me feel older than I really am, and this is not about maturity, but simply age. I do not recommend it without prior tests.

nshyng
nshyng

It's very powerful,a dab of Diva will do. I think it's an mature scent for me,but I'm glad I added it to my collection.

rosabell
rosabell

This is a great lady-like scent is the line of Y by YSL and other true classics. Bitter-sweet, melodramatic and cultural. Not for the faint of heart.

Fo those of you who are under 30 , these are decent sillage and longevity. :)

emilica

my favourite one! i was looking for it so long and now i am very happy to have it. lovely! i feel like a real DIVA! thanks EMANUEL UNGARO!!!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is a really lovely scent. I have never smelled it before today when I received it as a blind buy. Being a teen in the 80's, I have a penchant for the 80's style of scents but I would say this is pretty timeless actually. It is transparent and not overly powdery or sweet, I have Ysatis and Theo Fennell and this feels a bit like a mixture of the two. In fact I'd wonder if Theo Fennell didn't rip this one off a bit?? I find this easy to wear, sexy and feminine. Well, it is Jaques Polge and his creations are a bit out of my league nowadays! After the initial aldehydic and citrus blast, the rose is the star of the show- yes, a somehow delicious yet not 'gourmand' rose - sexy Turkish Delight comes to mind. Fabulous in the snow at this time of year.

fenlady
fenlady

A truly gorgeous scent! A grown-up, elegant star of a scent, worthy of its name! I didn't wear it in the 80s, but decided to try it recently on the strength of great review, and I wasn't disappointed. I now have a full bottle, but it won't stay that way for long, as I find myself turning more and more often to this intoxicating floral-incense-spicy perfume. Long may it stay in production!

guest_robijei
guest_robijei

I can not find anywhere DIVA bath and shower gel!!! I'm a desperate italian woman!!

adele l
adele l

Diva is very loud and very 80s! It has the same perfume/shaving cream accord I get in Paloma Picasso but it's very clean and not unpleasant. Thank goodness because the opening was very dirty on me(civet?). Diva as a name is very apt!

lizzykay
lizzykay

Great classic! Lovely staying power but not overpowering. No one else has mentioned it but I really get anise and pepper in the first hour or so along with the lovely floral.It changes over hours depending on the weather but never "dirty" on me. Love it.

cisco
cisco

Just received my Diva EDP today and must say "this lady is not shy"! She proclaims her scent from the rooftop. This is not a fragrance for the faint of heart. I love it because it is bold and has terrific staying power. Diva is a perfect name for this gem.

Unfortunately, my Diva is without her grand fan because she is a tester. She still has plenty of attitude though. She is loud and she is proud!

janudy
janudy

This smells so much like L'arte de Gucci on my skin--I can't believe it. The opening is more harsh, due in part to the aldehydic opening, but the dry down is very similar to the dark, spicy rose of L'arte de Gucci. I will definitely buy this once my decant of Gucci is gone.

It has a lot in common with Fendi Classic EDP and since that one is soo hard to get!

Nicole79
Nicole79

..Good news fragranticas !
Diva is back on the shelves !!! Just saw it today ...EDP , EDT , Body lotion , etc .

I tried edp and it smells lovely , not as strong as i thought , remembers me Coco style a little , but hey , of course it does as the nose behind it is Mr . Polge !
Very classic , feminine , rich , flowery , not overwhelming at all , perfect for a classy - sexy woman !
It has nothing "dirty" to it , it's just a perfect !

melancholybaby

For years, this was my signature scent, and indeed almost my only fragrance...and although my collection has significantly expanded, it is still one of the few that has remained a constant, and the one which I will never run out of. It is wonderful, well-rounded, wearable in most weather and circumstances, not for the faint and demure, but certainly a statement without the overly brash and loud characteristics of so many fragrances, especially those of that era. A truly wonderful, feminine, elegant scent!

Manna
Manna

This is a wonderful fragrance that gets very very different and interesting if it's average temp and raining. Great for colder days, too. It doesn't stop smelling at some point like so many fragrances, it changes with hours passing and lingers beautifully on clothes and skin. It only needs humidity to shine in full.

guest_JJ
guest_JJ

My one and only favourite ever since it came out. Although I have tried all the classics, I always returned to DIVA and indeed, the only perfume I get comments to.....delicious!

efm
efm

This hasn't been available in Australia for years. I finally overcame my resistance to buying perfume on-line so I could find my old friend Diva. I was very wary of dodgy knock-offs. By using the stores that list with Frag, I was more confident of getting the real thing.

I am not disappointed. Diva is all she was. I loved the 80's in all its excess, confidence and frippery. Diva matched the mood then and is a positive mood enhancer today. Forceful, feminine, earthy. A very fond reunion.

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

I got this when I was in my early teens and it is out of this world, a UFO of wonderment that it brought to me. My first and most favourite fragrance in the whole wide world. Very 'Libra'.

Sissi
Sissi

Impressive just impressive if you want to make an impression this perfume is for you. the aldehydes the cinnamon
and i can pick up some incense and with
it's stately bottle design and bold red
label says it all. an 80's high powered bussiness executive wearing a white italian bussiness suit heavy gold jewelry thick gold round earrings 4 inch bleck stellto heals hair fashioned
like brigette nielson kind of a woman.
this perfume is for women with strong
style sense and Confidence not for the meek.

zvoncica
zvoncica

Diva is vase with flowers, the kind of flowers which absorb the air in the room, and makes you open the window. Not like the flowers you’ve smelled lately, it is ancient carnation, ancient rose, ancient jasmine. Like the one that sinked on the bottom of the ocean with Titanic, in golden saloon with marble floor and velvet curtains. Thick as honey syrup. Golden as the sea when first sun beams arise from ocean.

Diva is a lady heading for the opening of La Traviata in fur coat and smaragd earrings. Decisive and superior. Charming and humble. Wraped in Olimp smell of Greek goddess, liqueur, oak and vanilla. Long lasting and capturing. The smell of years that passed.

Diva reminds me on our dear Chat, both for the smell and the name.

guest_Lola
guest_Lola

I have read all the comments about DIVA and found it so amusing that some find it to be the most wonderful perfume ever, while others are totally turned off by it. My daughter wears it and it smells heavenly on her, but when I have tried it, it fades totally away in a matter of minutes. I wanted so badly for it to smell on me like it did her. It wasn't offensive on me...it just quickly faded away.

lucianasalem
lucianasalem

Rarely I had so many expectations about a perfume ... disappointment! In my skin was like...urine.I agree with rithacha: chemistry is a capricious thing.

Persephone
Persephone

My new found crush! I recently found out that I can't keep my hands away from the bottle of Diva EDP. On me it smells like a delicious rose confiture without being overly fruity or foody. If I loved the gourmand category at all, this perfume creation would be the perfect example of how the true gourmand should be done - without any actual foody notes in it. Complex, impressive structure and excellent sillage for such an affordable fragrance, can't beat that!

rithacha

Diva *actually* smelled like urine on me. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. I used to be mystified when others reported some perfume smelling like "cat pee" or "used diaper" on their skin, but now I know what they mean.

I wouldn't call something a "port-a-potty" smell if I didn't mean it, and Diva is genuinely that on my skin. Skin chemistry is a capricious thing, so try before you buy!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Way too strong, heavy, and busy for me....Smells dirty, thanks to patchouli and civet- a dirty floral, as opposed to a sharp one. I wish I could give better reasons for why I dislike this, but I want to be polite...

Please try before you buy-I had a sample of this and I know a scent is bad for me when I don't want to test it a second time-or even continue wearing it as an experiment....

Sugar419
Sugar419

I think this perfume smells divine. It does remind me a bit of Paloma Picasso as someone before me said...but it's a bit more floral. I love the middle notes the most, but the fragrance to me is sublime from the fresh spritz to the drydown. LOVE IT.

Amarilia
Amarilia

Very classic, kind of retro-chic and lady like fragrance.
Diva is a good substitute of long discontinued Gucci no.3 which I used to wear a long time ago.
Im so glad that some great classics remain quite unchanged. A real gem to treasure!For true Femmes only!

guest_Noelia
guest_Noelia

It's a great classic perfume!It reminds me a lot Paloma Picasso perfume!

A jammy rose with oriental markings. First on, I get mostly rose, but a faint powder note creeps in, smelling like new face powder, and adds a hint of sophistication. I'm not a huge rose fan, though I like the scent, but this is complicated enough to be rather delicious. It does not smell dated in any way. Elgab89's seven veils simile is great: it's a sexy but diaphanous--and very feminine--dance of fragrance.

Belladonna
Belladonna

I went overboard spraying myself with the Diva tester bottle. It smells very nice right out of the bottle. Lots of big floral, like gentle curves - never sharp. It made me happy to smell like a cheerful bouquet of flowers. When I got home my son told me it smelled nice but a bit too mature. (I’m trying to avoid using the other clichéd term.)

suemaxster
suemaxster

This is the most commented on perfume I wear - always complimented and asked "what are you wearing".

linden tree
linden tree

i've just buy it.it's very intriguing an versatile.interesting perfume!in chanel style.beautifull rose!

elgab89
elgab89

A stunning classic, I hope it will stay on the market for a long, long time. It starts with uplifting aldehydes, tuberose is noticeable and citruses (mandarine?). It goes fast to a rose middle note which I love - however it does not linger there too long and settles into a gorgeous warm and sexy (CIVET) drydown. So it is quite interesting how it unwraps from citrusy aldehydic uplifting to a downright voluptous scent. Like the dance of the veils, when unwrapped each veil brings up a different stage.

Halvah
Halvah

It's really very feminine, a little goes a long way!

Abbas
Abbas

one of the most attractive and noticeable scent for women, i lkie it too much.