Designers » D E » « Groups

Molecule 03 Escentric Molecules for women and men

Molecule 03 Escentric Molecules for women and men
dislike

Molecule 03 was constructed around single scent ingredient, or aroma-chemical: vetiveryle acetate, a refined vetiver note which is celebrated at its purest in this fragrance.The fragrance was created by Geza Schoen

MeCompany was in charge of packaging, which accompanies the whole story about these mysterious fragrances. The flacons of both editions are simple and made of glass and their outer cartons are coloured in deep, dark green and blue shade. It suggests something dark moving just below the surface of things, something you can’t quite put your finger on. Escentric Molecules Molecule 03 and Escentric 03 are available as 100 ml Eau de Toilette. Molecule 03 was launched in 2010.

Vetiver

Molecule 03 Fragrance Reviews

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

A vetiver scent without men's "weight". Neither for women nor for conservative men I think. For vetiver lovers who prefer a modern take on that.

bet85
bet85

Not awful at all. Smells like vetiver. Not dirty or even clean. just an easy vetiver. Its linear and last about 6 hours on my skin. Still testing but so far i dont see why people hate this. Maybe just boring. But I really like it. Good all year round vetiver fragrance.

Irishchick
Irishchick

Oh God how awful!

I am fairly certain that I have purchased this sample instead of escentric 03 and omg big mistake!

As one other has mentioned this is straight up pepper, handfuls and handfuls of pepper thrust unrelentingly and unremittingly up your nostrils.

I bought this to try for myself but gave it to my boyfriend - although not hugely "in" to fragrances he has a great nose, he can detect notes in my fragrances, even though he likes them all equally. He loathed this. Its the first time I have seen him have a s solid and personal reaction to a fragrance and he agreed this seemed to be pure pepper.

And, as to Murphy's law, it lasts and lasts and lasts...
Perhaps too niche for my nose, also a big helping of karma from the fragrance gods hit me when I accidentally liberally sprayed myself with this instead of another sample later in the day...
Migraine and nausea :(

FORGIVE ME FRAGRANCE GODS ! NO MORE MOLECULE 3 I BEG YOU!

WildDove
WildDove

Molecule 03 is a very dry vetiver, peppery grapefruit. Understated and classy.

Neeko
Neeko

Right now the IFRA spec. for vetiveryl acetate is 1% in the final product. I wonder if an EDT or a perfume could be based just on such a weak molecule (at this poor concentration)...

This is a total mystery...

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

mmm.. yes, peppery pomelo, or maybe a kind of simple vetiver. A bit old-fashioned, like something you get in an old-skool barber shop. It doesn't change much on the skin over time. Don't dislike it, but it doesn't rock my world either...

mshep
mshep

Ugh! I got the sample off Lucky Scent cause I was curious about the scent. The initial say gave me this heavy syrupy molasses smell with a hint of grapefruit. I have to say I wasn't please with the surprise. After about ten mins I let it dry down. I got a pure grapefruit scent on my skin now. It's not horrible it's just not something I'd personally wear. I think if anyone if going to guy these frags you should get a sample first.

Bearbearina
Bearbearina

Of the 3 Molecule scents, this one (on me) is the most peppery. In fact, that's all I smell.
I purchased a sample because of previous reviewers that mentioned that it smelled like pomelo or leafy or fresh-earthy.
Sadly, on me, Molecule 03 just smells like dry, old peppercorns :(
It's very dry, a bit woody, and very black peppery.
A definite no for me.

AZ
AZ

Is it me but I remeber this perfume smelled abit metalic.

But still the 02 is the king of this company

jht4060
jht4060

How to make Molecule 03:

Buy a bottle of vetiveryl acetate from Perfumer's Apprentice on-line. It is cheap.

Buy a good size bottle of "perfumer's alcohol" (pure ethanol, though to make it legal they add a little "denaturant" whose purpose is to taste horrid or make you nauseous if you drink it). You should be able to find that locally with some effort, but also on-line at saveonscents and many other places. You can probably get away with a cheap unscented vodka (essentially ethanol and water).

Put a small amount of ethanol into a bottle (any kind will do). Add vetiveryl acetate (swirl to mix) until the mixture smells right when dried down on your wrist. It will probably be about 20% vetiveryl acetate by volume (1 part vetiveryl acetate to 4 parts ethanol). If you use an eyedropper and count ethanol and vetiveryl acetate drops then, after you get the proportion to your liking, you can easily make a bigger batch by counting drops. Or just make your first batch by pouring them into a tall bottle and making a whole lot. Or get fancy and buy a 100 ml graduated cylinder (Amazon has them).

Nothing happens when you mix them. There is no magic, no special ingredient, no "wait a month while the scent matures". All that is made up or imagined. It is basic chemistry. Commercial perfumeries usually add anti-oxidants and UV blockers to make the perfume last longer in the bottle, but they have no effect on the scent on your skin, and are completely optional. They also usually add a little water so that it doesn't have as much of the strong sweet ethanol scent for the first few seconds. Tap water is fine but if you want to be really authentic use distilled water from the grocery store. Don't add too much water or the vetiveryl acetate will start precipitating (the solution will get cloudy, if that happens just add back some ethanol and it will clear up). I don't add any water to my homemade perfumes - it makes no difference after the first 30 seconds because ethanol is very volatile (it all evaporates quickly).

You can make all the Molecule scents; the odorants are all are available from Perfumer's Apprentice cheaply. Quite a few single molecules smell really good, including many not marketed by Escentric Molecules. It is great fun to experiment. If you start combining more than one you are entering the realm of perfume composition.

A few things that make all this a bit easier to do or nicer to use:
- a few small glass reagent bottles with caps
- disposable pipettes (just little plastic bulb thingies that make it
easier to transfer liquids and count drops)
- a fillable perfume spray atomizer or roll-on bottle
These and other things are available at Perfumer's Apprentice and
many other places.

Nothing about this is the least bit dangerous as long as you keep open flame away from the pure ethanol. Even if the ethanol catches on fire you will just have a little desk top flambe - it doesn't explode and it is easy to put out. Far less dangerous than having a can of gasoline around.

If all of this seems too annoying to go through, by all means spend $155 on a bottle of Molecule 03. It has a lovely vetiver-like scent. You can make a liter for about $30. You can make 10 liters for about $150.

Happy mixing!

- James Thomas

degauss
degauss

The consultant told me this would play tricks on me, and to keep track of it consistently, if I wanted to be sure about anything. So I did. So far, I have five solid hours of unwavering beautiful, fresh, bitter grapefruits combined with cedar. It smells profoundly natural, as a consequence it's not jarring, nor loud. Has gotten slightly closer to skin in the past hour, but still clearly perceptible; also, this was just the usual few wrist test sprays. If you like the combination, or are looking for a natural, smooth, bitterfresh (emphasis on bitter) wood scent, this - granted that skin chemistry works out similarly to mine - it's perfect. Already described sillage behavior, longevity is similar, I predict up from six up to eight hours.

lollsazz
lollsazz

My first thought was "blagh"! I don't know what vetiver is supposed to smell like, but the smell of this is earth, something like tea tree (minty-crisp), wet, old, and possibly burnt leaves, moss and sandalwood. If you like smelling like someone living in the woods, go on and buy it. My boyfriend, on the other hand, loooooves this because it smells like a forest :P He usually is pretty neutral to perfumes; most often I ask him to smell, and the best I get out is "it's nice" (which is quite rare). When I wore this, he began smelling the air to find the source of the smell and said he really likes this!

I dislike the consistency of this perfume - vetiver oil is thick... so is this: it's a thick, yellow, oily fluid that comes out yellow when you spray it. I would suggest being careful not to spray this on clothes - or you might also begin to look like someone living out in the woods This just looks like something an amateur could mix up... which is nothing like the price point.

It's not a bad, as in tasteless, messy, scent, it's just not quite the type of scent I like to wear - it's too much freshness + natural smoke. As strange as that sounds - I'm just not much into such an "outdorse-y" scent. It's not even a "dirty" smell - in fact, it smells pretty clean - as clean as a swamp can be, but still, it's not quite me. The most bothersome part to me is the smoke - it's like from a camp-fire, nothing synthetic here, but it feels a little like it gets into my mouth all the time! I like the woods, but this is a little too deep into the woods for me and I begin longing home after a shirt time. I do imagine that people around might love this though - especially if they miss being out in untouched nature. What I usually like is the longevity - all of the Escentric molecules scents are quite long lasting, especially is sprayed on clothes. This one seems to not last as long, but I only put it on my skin though. If I buy this again, it will, most likely be for my boyfriend's money - these are pretty damn expensive, and although I would never sell my sample (8 mL) of this - it's just too unique, I don't think I would willingly repurchase either. I think I would like this better on a man, actually.

al.to
al.to

best part of vetiver..
green loud soil dark fresh
do you like it?
Encre noir
Sycomore
vetiver bourbon of Miller Harris
Zara vetiver
Etrò vetiver

and afterall something strange but vetivery :Fat electrician

crazy price!
overpriced

amelie
amelie

Pure vetiver, although rarely buy mono perfumes, this is something really delicate and fresh, ideal for hot summer days. I would have it, I love it.
I do think that just smelled so good on men's skin. Elegant.

murysusanto
murysusanto

Second order is this! I am enjoying this fragrance now, its rarity and difficulty to get makes it even more priceless.
I just wish they come with the cap, it's a bid hard carrying it around in the bag while trying not to accidently pressed the spray

Otherwise this is a funky stuff!

walkdogg
walkdogg

When I smelled Molecule 03 (MO3) for the first time, after becoming much more acquainted with it's more popular and trendy older brothers Molecule 01 & 02, I was shocked that this was a part of the same family!
It's NOTHING like M01 and M02, it's a completely, totally different creature!!! Surely M03 was adopted into this family, because it stands so far apart from anything else (except for Kinski it is definitely brothers with Kinski)

Molecule 03 is purely stunning. - it's all the best parts of vetiver. If you are into vetiver after falling in love with the likes of Encre Noir, Sycamore or Route du vetiver this will be totally up your alley.

It's rooty, shroomy, acidic, earthy, dirty and SHARP.

10/10 -- Great silliage

BurningAcid
BurningAcid

There are so much better vetiver fragrances out there... It smells indeet like a pomelo fruit. But it is a very poor vetiver fragrance, I don`t find anything special about it. I think only the first fragrance from the line worth the try and the money. The rest is nothing special.

kerini
kerini

At first it's a little too mossy for my taste but after a while it turns into a really nice dry comforting vetiver scent.
I like it but I definitely prefer my vetiver blended with something else.
It lasts about 8 hours on me.

guest_Chelsea
guest_Chelsea

I swear. This perfume smells exactly like a pomelo fruit.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Escentric Molecules Molecule 03 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Escentric Molecules Molecule 03, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Molecule 03 by Escentric Molecules. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Molecule 03 by Escentric Molecules represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.