Designers » D E » Chypre Floral « Groups

Aliage Estée Lauder for women

Aliage Estée Lauder for women
dislike

Aliage (also spelled Alliage in some European countries) by Estee Lauder is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Aliage was launched in 1972. Top notes are citruses, green notes and peach; middle notes are pine tree, jasmine, caraway and brazilian rosewood; base notes are musk, oakmoss, vetiver and myrrh.

Citruses Jasmine

Eau de Patou

Aliage Fragrance Reviews

queenkey
queenkey

Estee Lauder, Dior and Chanel were all running the 70's with strong fragrances. This one stood out to me because of a tenacious giant hay scent. I could have purchased this then but wasn't sure it would have suited me then.

Never tried to purchase it because I knew they would reformulate the ingredients. I hate they reformulating scents to do it cheaper. Co-worker wore this everyday and it was wonderful on her.

Bedhead
Bedhead

Very gratified to read TillyWave's review of this fragrance, because I was not aware that it had been reformulated. I used to wear this almost exclusively in the 1980s, occasionally switching to Prescriptives' Calyx or Joan Collins's Scoundrel (I know, I know, it was Revlon!) and when I recently purchased a new bottle of Aliage, I thought I'd gotten old stock or something. It smells like a very, very concentrated version of the old formula, but without the green, citrusy notes. I still like the fragrance, very much in fact, but it's not the love affair I had with the original Aliage.

Lots of reviewers (good reviewers, too!) are calling this scent "green," but TillyWave is right. If you had smelled the old version, this isn't the same green. The new formulation is spicy by comparison. The original was better.... significantly better, but this is still nice in a heavier, more subtle way. I miss the grassy notes. Miss them a lot.

Sherihan
Sherihan

Aliage is the French word for "alloy"

juliadstone
juliadstone

I scored about 15 ml of vintage juice today. I am so excited; I haven't worn this fragrance since I ran out of my last bottle sometime in 1983. I have missed it so! Spraying it on today was like reuniting with an old flame from college, except without the disappointment. :-D

TillyWave

Aliage, 'new' (May 2012 batch) vs. 'vintage' (poss. late 90's/early 00's)

The older Aliage is so amazingly green, 3D green, like balsam/pine essential oil and camphor, forest air, a mulch/soil drydown, for more see my other review a few down.

The new, when compared side by side, relies far more on woody notes than pine and green notes. Shockingly, I smell MORE oakmoss in my newer bottle (listed fairly high up in the ingredient list, as well as treemoss further down.) I can smell the oakmoss from top to bottom, as well as the fresh spicy nutmeg, rosewood, cedar, and vetiver, with a hint of peach. The lush, camphor green is present as a ghostly sidenote that occasionally weaves in and out, but does get stronger the longer you have it on.

I actually enjoy my current bottle very much, as much as the 'old' Aliage, but this is an example of a perfume truly changed by reformulation, vs. small tweaks over time. Side by side they are not even recognizable as the same perfume.

I read with interest Assiduosity's edit that Aliage is being reformulated yet AGAIN, this time I would guess not for the better, and I went to the Estee Lauder website for another bottle of one of my favorite perfumes before it is gone--alas they are already out of stock of Aliage, maybe waiting for the new reformulation to come in?

SolangeN
SolangeN

Something unfortunate has happened to this. Bought the newest reformulation and all I can smell is ginger or nutmeg. In a too much way.

Sharyl
Sharyl

Update:

I've changed my mind about this; I actually like it much more now. I think of it as my little oakmoss monster (in a good way). I don't notice the pee note anymore--or perhaps I've gotten used to it? I look forward to spraying this one on.

Original:

I know it was intended to be a "sport" fragrance, but I get such a "70s working girl" vibe from Aliage. I get a kick out of wearing it to work when I have a big meeting or project due and want to channel my inner Melanie Griffith (from Working Girl, an 80s film so dated that it could have easily been released in the 70s).

As far as the scent goes, I think of it as a sweetish green fragrance. I don't find it as bitter or "cold" as some other folks do. Only rarely, I'll catch a note that I can only describe as slightly urinous. Maybe I've gotten used to the idea of unexpected or unpleasant ingredients in perfumes (civet, ambergris), because it doesn't even faze me. I just think, "Oh, there's that pee note again," and then I go about my business.

As you can perhaps tell from this review, I don't really take Aliage very seriously. I do find it a lot of fun to wear, though.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

Oooh...Aliage. For a long-time chypre lover like myself, it's one of the few 'casual' versions of the form (other than Y by YSL and Gucci no. 3). My earliest memory of it was getting it in a box of old perfumes from my great-aunt, who was apparently getting rid of her Estee Lauder stash (my mom snagged the White Linen and Estee). I was completely freaked out by it: it did not fit my conception of 'feminine fragrance'--ladies in those days wore Chanel no. 5, or Opium (my personal fave of preadolescence), or Shalimar. (People also smoked much more, life was generally much smellier, and no one cared if they offended you with their fragrances.) My mind read it as 'aggressively vegetal'; not at all floral or sweet or spicy. I could not figure out why you'd want to smell like vegetable stock, and not Opium (or White Shoulders, or Island Gardenia!), but it was so quirky and genderless, so *seventies*, that I never forgot it.

I was desperate to get a bottle recently, and I was so happy to find that Estee Lauder still carried it at the counters. The SA was baffled by my interest in it (she admitted she was a 'fruity-floral type'), but I told her my anecdote about my early experience with it, and she agreed that it has its diehard fans--and gave me some extra samples for being so excited to try it again. It's a fragrance I use sparingly, occasionally--I actually like it better in colder weather, when the green and wood and moss really pop. Definitely a scent that either gender could use (I'm trying to get my husband to try it, since he wears sweeter scents well).

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Estee Lauder’s Aliage is a determined and admirable attempt to bottle sporting summertime and make it available all year round.

As orderly and well managed as Centre Court on finals day, this is a fragrance marshalled with ex-military precision.

The opening is a brisk moss lawn made brilliant by warm sunshine. There are hints of citrus and a slightly malted fruitiness that tries but never succeeds in deposing tart as the chief mood.

This green persists throughout the heart and is without doubt the main accord, a definite resinous pine becomes apparent and then yields somewhat to vetiver.

There is a distant spiciness and a definite element of powder, but these seem medicinal, belonging far more to the locker room than the beauty parlour.

The dry down is more a three set match than five and seems to end quite decisively in a tie break that takes one almost by surprise.

All in all Aliage is a miraculously summoned up ray of sharp sunshine available on any day.

In the midst of foul weather we should all be truly grateful that such things exist.

*************

This is without doubt a game suitable for mixed doubles.

Notice

Aliage has recently regained its missing ‘l’ and once again become ‘Alliage’. Sadly in so doing it seems to have lost much of its vigour and derring-do.

Catch the old magic where and while you can.

dezaval
dezaval

I like it a lot! I mostly like it because this is the very first "male" fragrance that is made for women (in a good sense). Back in the 70s fragrances for women were made to be "feminine" (which is a good thing, too!). But this is the very first fragrance made for tomboys! Very daring at that time! Oakmoss and pine as dinstictive notes and spices that one would meet in male fragrances are met here, in a fragrance dedicated to sporty, adventurous ladies who love long walks at mountains and deep pine forests, horse riding, climbing, archery or sharpshooting, and still being sexy and feminine! Definitely an hymn to the modern amazons! There is no other fragrance like this. Doric simplicity and elegance. Respects.

coffeecat17
coffeecat17

This is the most amazing smell on my mom...oh how I wish Aliage could do this for me, but it seems to just sit on the top of my skin and not develope. Sadness. My mother lost her sence of smell over time and stopped wearing fragrance...and I missed smelling this one on her. Come to find out, almost 10 years after beginning to lose her ability to smell as well, she was diagnosed with Parkinsons and the doctor told her loss of smell is one of the first indicators of the disease process. I just wanted to put that out there so other's might be aware if this is happening to them or a loved one. But mom will still wear Aliage for us by request, even though she doesn't know it's there...we all love it!

TillyWave

I have an older bottle, not exactily vintage, but maybe 90's version.

Dark deep and positively unisex, with a heaping dose of a dank northern forest dripping with oakmoss on a murky spring day, when it's been warmer and raining and bringing out all the flavors of the earth. At times bitter and camphourous and yet sweet, in the way that these rich perfumes can be.

There is debate about labeling perfumes as winter vs summer, but I wore Aliage on a summer day and it was overwhelming--I almost felt ill from wearing it. A colder day is better for wearing Aliage, it settles much better, and its dark deep notes flower better that way.

Nesia
Nesia

l haven't been able to buy Alliage anywhere for years. When l suddenly remembered about it and started looking for it in the net l discovered that there are two kinds. The 70s original "Alliage" and a later reformulation "Aliage" (different spelling). l cannot compare them now since they are not to be found in Europe but there are many articles in the net saying that the smell is definitely different now. l remember only the old "Alliage" since my mother was using it in the 70s and it was really strong, apparently even too strong for some. Somehow it reminded me of black pepper. The reformulation, as they say, has made it softer and more flowery. l cannot forget the old 'Alliage" - it was beautiful. Despite the fact that it was so many years ago l can still remember the smell very well and l would definitely recognise it instantly.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

The visual that comes to mind is the large yellow and green flower print on kitchen curtains and vinyl dinette chair coverings in the 70s. Green plasticky goodness.

Zinderella
Zinderella

My half empty bottle, spelt Alliage, is from the late 70's. I haven't worn it for quite a while and then suddenly the other day I got the sudden mad urge to go rummaging, pull it out and have a spray. It still smells the same. It is soft and greenish... to me, it is a calming relaxing soothing type of green, it is not a bright, energetic wake you up green. After a while it becomes soft, but very long lasting. I am not reminded of sitting on freshly mown grass in summer or spring, or of white cotton shirts or dresses, or sporty things. Alliage is a leisurely stroll down a cool wooded path.. scarf, gloves, a warm coat, basket in hand... looking for mushrooms... sitting on a log, smiling, chatting and snuggling with the one you love :)

SuperPookie
SuperPookie

Aliage is a very underrated scent. I personally think it one of Estee Lauders best second only to Youth Dew. It manages to be a very green scent that is also rich & sensual , a combination that few perfumes accomplish. I have only tried the vintage version however.

Grottola
Grottola

My mother has been a make-up artist for Lancome, Dior, Shiseido, and Chanel for over 30 years now, and her act of bringing me home samples when I was still in my single digits was part of what set off my love for perfume. At the same time, she had a bit of snobbery about her, which is understandable - she never really liked Estee Lauder. She never liked their cosmetics, and she found the fragrances to smell cheap and old. So, with that in mind, I can also understand why Lauder's fragrances have "cheap" and "old" qualities to them - a big part being galbanum. Lord Almighty, did Estee Lauder love galbanum. And here, in Aliage, it's dry, bitter, and chalky as hell. I really do not consider Aliage to be a "sport" fragrance in any conventional sense of the term. There is a chypre hidden in there, but it's surrounded by a cloud of musty, dusty green galbanum. If this is your sort of thing, then by all means, wear it. It's one hell of a potent fragrance and has all kinds of stuff in it that would have the IFRA over in Europe soiling themselves in fear. So, while I certainly won't ever wear Aliage, I do appreciate it more than I used to.

I'll stick with Azuree.

jtd
jtd

At first glance, Alliage, one of the Estée Lauder line’s inexpensive mainstays might be considered simply ‘cheap and cheerful.’ It reads, “Sport Fragrance Spray” in a functional, rather non-stylized bottle. Not exactly sexy. But cheap and cheerful implies an innocent simplicity whose grinning surface advises not digging any further. On the contrary, I’d argue that Alliage is inexpensive but sophisticated and spectacular. One of the impressive set of perfumes in the stellar-but-cheap sweepstakes.

Everyone seems to talk about Alliage’s notes, and I will as well, but briefly. I don’t get the peach. I don’t get the oakmoss. I do get a heavy green (loads of galbanum accented by vetiver) brightened by citrus rind oils (bitter orange, lime?) and florals. But since the green is already firmly in place, the floral tone is a clean, airy white jasmine bolstered by musk and what smells like rosewood. I’ve heard people lament the loss of a more heavily oakmoss-laden earlier version of Alliage, but I don’t miss Miss Moss. Alliage is wonderfully balanced just the way it is.

The cool white florals seem a dry counterpoint to the sweet galbanum. And galbanum’s lasting chalkiness lines up perfectly with a resinous base that gives depth and a slow-moving quality. Myrrh? Incense? It all feels very languid and heavy-lidded. I don’t need the bitter green that moss might add. Consider Alliage’s sibling Devin by Aramis for that.

Alliage has a cool quality that implies poise as much as temperature. Its cool impression is similar in to the effect given by mint/basil or camphorous components, but without their harshness or muscle-balm feeling. In cooler weather, Alliage feels forest-like, a bit moist. In my dry southern California heat, Alliage keeps its cool longer and more comfortably than any other perfume I’ve tried. It doesn’t blend with the skin. It’s more like a richly colored clothing accessory, like the perfect tie. It works as an accent and draws the nose’s attention. It doesn’t blend. I think this is how Alliage remains cool through drydown.

Clean and green, not so much tart as a bit sharp. This is one of the few fragrances I wear to work as an RN in a hospital. It’s cool but not quite grass-like, not quite floral. It has wonderful endurance, but after the topnotes, mild sillage. I think it just reads as quality grooming products to my patients and colleagues.

Again the price dilemma. In this case a happy one. Why does this cost so little? It sells at the same department stores that flog haphazardly brewed, blaringly marketed perfumes for 3-4 times the price. Alliage is a distinctive fragrance of high quality and name-droppable pedigree (Bernard Chant) that has been typically well maintained over the years by Estée Lauder. I could wear this forever (were I not so perfume-promiscuous, that is.)

cedriceccentric
cedriceccentric

On the US Estée Lauder website one of the reviewers suggested layering Aliage with Pleasures.
I did try this for the last couple of days... and WOW! It's like I have whole new fragrance in my collection. I always felt Aliage to be a bit "butch" and Pleasures to be the most "girly" of all EL's major fragrances. Pleasures brings to Aliage some 1990's clean transparency and a soft musk base and Aliage brings to Pleasures a green opening and accentuates its woody base. I'm not going to go into masculine/feminine, ying/yang crap... but it's how well the 2 work together. It's hard to believe that 2 rather complex fragrances can layer so well, they really become one.

I always have been a fan of Aliage, less so of Pleasures, but this layering thing learned me to appreciate Pleasures in a whole new way.

BTW: I layered the discontinued Eau d' Aliage with the Pleasures edp. But for all those who miss the Aliage body lotion, why not layer the sports fragrance over some Pleasures body lotion... and see (smell) what happens...

scenteena
scenteena

krmarich, your review sounds almost like an obituary. In the beginning, where you state, "Aliage was". LOL. Well, it might as well be considering a lot of these classic fragrances are no longer with us. Has Aliage become a victim of reformulation mania, too? Are these reviews for the original or a changed version? You never know. Seems everytime I turn around, yet another scent treasure has bit the dust.

You know, the more I think about it, it was really an honor to actually have experienced a lot of these classic fragrances such as Aliage, Chanel no. 5, 19, Je Riviens, First-Van Cleef & Arpels, Magie Norie, Ysatis, ect. in the 60's, 70's, and 80's in all of their ORIGINAL glory!

The first time I smelled Aliage was in the 70's, and like others have said, I had never smelt anything like it. I would describe it as utterly unique and, well, at the time, groundbreaking. The ultimate chypre-grass gone sophisticated-if you will. Calling all unique fragrance lovers to try this one, if you haven't already, hopefully in all of its' ORIGINAL GLORY!!

krmarich
krmarich

Alliage was a fantastic very green chypre. Sharp, clean, crisp and a warm weather favorite. Never really commercially popular, it should not be missed by chypre fans.

Its a walk in a dark forest at on a summer night. The green trend of the early 1970s was perfect. Estee Lauder has come a long way since and not for the better...

eclecticgal1
eclecticgal1

Received this yesterday and have been wearing ever since then. Yes, it is green and nice after about 15 minutes. Not much floral to my nose....oakmoss is there which is a must for chypre. I don't think I will purchase again although the price is great at EL.

Much prefer Azuree...or Knowing( another chypre from ELauder).

N.B.As has been said in previous reviews - THERE IS ONLY ONE ALIAGE....NOT TWO. Yes, it is the so-called first 'sport' fragrance. I have to really see what that means. :-)

mkmpoon
mkmpoon

I cannot smell the green note at all - all I can smell is the oakmoss which i a bit like leather. I would not recommend it in hot humid weather and hope that it smells better on my skin in autumn.

HazelMae
HazelMae

This fragrance is incredibly crisp and green, refreshing without being insipid. This fragrance demonstrates one possible path to "freshness" while avoiding the Scylla of "bracing to the point of assault" and the Charybdis of total banality.

Aliage has that sort of preppy-dykey 70's vibe of a woman looking great in an athletic and fresh-faced way, in spite of an unflattering haircut and shoes. I suppose that image was planted in my brain by viewing the old ads but trust me, it's quite apt.

I appreciate Estee Lauder for keeping this fragrance alive and available.

ShannyO
ShannyO

While I will be one of those who purchases this smell- not - tested I thank everyone here for their great information! I saw this recently on Nordstroms.com; I was curious because my grand"mother" was an Estee Lauder fanatic, owned most everything they ever produced, yet I'd never heard of this one. Launched a few years before I came into existence, it just never made it to our collection. However, after reading all the rave reviews I have to try it. It is not expensive at all, so if it doesn't work out I won't feel too guilty for wasting money. I only wish my grandmother was still here to experience it with me, one of our favorite things was discovering new fragrances!

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Love crisp, cold, green scents. These hold some of my earliest scent memories when I first fell in love with fragrance. Cristalle, Chanel 19, and my Aliage. Love these crystal beauties. Love wearing them in the dead of winter to breathe in the cold air and catch snowflakes on my tongue.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Another mind bending perfume from Estee Lauder. I expected ultra green and pine but I wasn't expecting spices and florals. This opens with roaring green galbanum that holds center stage for several minutes. As it begins to soften the pine, vetiver and wood become detectable and delightfully chilling: the kind of snowy day where it looks like air full of crystals.

The juice then performs an extremely clever magic trick: unlike perfumes where the citruses disappear in the first few minutes, here they appear about half an hour in with the florals and spice. Caraway is here to maintain the chill but there's also nutmeg and cloves which give off soft soapy whiffs occasionally. The drydown evolves into an almost sweet floral that lasts for several hours. At this point you need to get very close to find the sharpness. (It's so well done and unusual that I've spent a fair amount of time with my nose on my wrist today.)

I didn't expect to like this--I just wanted to check it off my long list of recommended perfumes. Instead I'm in love and have added Aliage to my short list of complicated bottles of art. BTW, no one has mentioned that this is a KICK BUTT unisex scent.

Sillage: 2-3 feet
Durability: 4 hours and counting
Fabulosity: a perfect snowflake
Price to value ratio: very good

Note on the "sport" mystery: there is only one version of the perfume and all boxes say "sports spray". It seems that this was done to emphasize the coldness but it dropped out of the marketing at some point. The confusion is further compounded by the name being spelled with two "l"s in The Guide.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

I was quite looking forward to trying this one, being a chypre lover, and generally enjoying the older fragrances. When I finally got the opportunity, I spritzed a scent strip and enjoyed the bright, fresh opening so decided to try it on; well, I don't know what my chemistry does to this scent, but the only thing I could smell on my arm was a strange, plastic-like mustiness...glad I did not make a blind buy of this one!

imoore
imoore

Perfect composition!
nothing stiks out well blended, but nowadays it would be called a gents fragrance.
It can manage a same aura as Lancaster Concentree for half as many notes (that is a sign of a good nose for me) Well done!
Who has that perfect nose?????

Quite besotted with Sensous Noir and Wild Elixir...I decided to go to the EL counter and give some of the good old-fashioned ones another sniff, or two...

Aliage really surprised me! I like this VERY much. It opens with a bright green, smooth fruitiness and a small dose of aldehydes (and is initially unremarkable). Then as it began to dry, I was captivated by the mixture of sharp pine, sexy flower, dry spice and clean rich wood. I may just have to get some of this for myself! This is really an impressive fragrance...I always thought Estee Lauder was just for little old ladies! How wrong I was. The green flows from top to the heart and becomes warmer and firmer, as the peachy and citrusy notes fade the spices appear and the jasmine peeks playfully through it all. The drydown is a bit dry and almost masculine (but not brusque); myrrh and musk meet halfway between animalic and resiny, as the moss and the vetiver keep it green, earthy and clean. I am sorry I ever doubted you my dear Estee...

Sillage: very good
Longevity: good
Overall: 3.75/5

Once again, I am happy to be proven wrong! This is most definitely something a guy could wear, and really rock. It is not overly floral and is, in fact, very sexy. I am so happy that I tried this and look forward to more testing and EL reviews in the near future! Who would have thought I would migrate from being a mens counter regular to an Estee Lauder fan?!

randik
randik

This is one potent green scent! It is almost unbearable the first thirty minutes, but please be patient! This is a true gem! Applied sparingly it becomes very warm and incense-like; warm and inviting . A few hours after applying I found it extremely similar to Montana's Parfum de Peu.

I, too, am confused by the two ALIAGEs, but the one in my possession seems obviously to be a supergreen chypre, so I'll assume that this must be the one.

Well, this is not what I was expecting at all. When I made this relatively inexpensive blind buy, I thought that I would be getting another nice summery citrus scent to spray with reckless abandon through the remaining weeks of heat. Far from it, in fact!

ALIAGE is a pretty intense little number, what with the pine thrown into the already heavy chypre mix. This seems like a good perfume for the fall or the spring. I'll give it another try again then... For now, I'll just say that this seems like a distant cousin to MA GRIFFE... Daring and unapologetically unperfumey! The very antithesis of flowery and sweet!

Three-hour update: this composition held up remarkably well, and even improved, over the course of this 90F afternoon. I kept catching wafts and wondering "What smells so good?"

six-hour update: great staying power and still smells swell!

vuelo
vuelo

It's a weird fragrance, starts bitter, with woods, citrus and pine, all set on a slightly milder background.

I don't know why I like to wear it so much. I realize that this is not one of those "likeable" perfumes. It's not a crowd pleaser, definetly, not at all teeny...

It's something special, a rarity among perfumes, even among the niche ones, few are so original and unique as Aliage.

guest_Lily of Alexandria
guest_Lily of Alexandria

I wore this fragrance in the eighties during the first couple of years of university, and it became my hallmark. My cousin, who lived in the same building used to tell me that she could tell I had taken the elevator earlier by the Aliage fragrance that she detected in it... I do not remember why I stopped using it, but I don't think I'd be able to resist the temptation to buy it should I chance to come across it in a store.

arosebyany
arosebyany

I used this in the '70s and 80s and loved it. I thought it was discontinued. Does anyone know where I can purchase it?

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

I just can not wear this. I can see how it is a classic, and would smell great on some people, but when I have sampled it, it turns grassy and sour on my skin. :(

halfpast5
halfpast5

I wore this in early college years, but because I went through a bad time at that point I later learned to dislike it. HOWEVER, it was a really interesting fragrance and I loved it. I still like "chypre" type fragrances and realize it was probably my prototype for that. Wonder if the new version still smells like 1972 - I even loved YouthDew, my dad's favorite perfume. A bit rich, but hey it lasted!

guest_ouldooz
guest_ouldooz

My sister wore it when I was 8 years old.I loved it for its cool,green and bitter smell.It is different from any other fragrance and is very sophisticated and modern.From then,I have never found it in stores,but I still remember its smell .It is very
memorable for me.

amelie
amelie

I am delighted how this extraordinary fragrance opens, so exciting, glamorous, fresh with the nutmeg and magnificent oakmoss, slightly green at the very beginning, later like a cold deep-green forest, perhaps a bit mystical and somewhat powdery, but extremely comfortable to wear. Another Estee Lauder that can easily become a signature scent.
Very unusual, sharpness is present only at the beginning. Classy & unique! Aliage is completely different from anything I tried before, this is a fragrance that probably does not blend with any skin because the body chemistry plays a decisive role. Very impressive to me,I just love it!

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I still haven't smelled many chypre fragrances, so I don't know whether I am a fan of the chypre category. In any case, I have tried Aliage a few times, and I love it! When you first spray it on it is almost offensive in its strength, but it softens almost immediately. The dry-down is really earthy and feminine in a timeless and elegant way, rather than a classicly cloying way, which is a decidedly rare find among the hundreds of fragrances I have sprayed myself with. Those who describe the fragrance as irritating or overly-strong do have a point, as much as I love it. But I think the scent softens so much that it shouldn't send anyone into a sneezing fit. I highly recommend this!

guynspfld
guynspfld

I was in a store today and have always wondered what this smelled like. I was shocked and fell in love. It is very earthy and has a similar quality to Youth Dew. I could smell the oakmoss within minutes. I would wear this as a man. It is very classy and will get you noticed.

weegee
weegee

This is the greenest of floral chypres, as stated by others, but with deep, dark muddy-green, woodsy notes that to my nose makes Aliage both quite pleasantly sour and refreshingly bitter -- which I think is a very, very good thing in a world where candy/fruity/marshmallowy fragrances now seem to dominate the market.

Be forewarned: Aliage doesn't just contain galbanum, it contains GALBANUM, a big ol' boatload of it so if you don't absolutely love galbanum, you can forget Aliage and move on to something else.

Aliage is complex, woodsy, clean, crisp and fresh but only if applied in extreme moderation! Spray a bit in the air and walk under it, that kind of moderation.

The EDT has to be about the most concentrated I've ever experienced, except, perhaps for Clinique's Aromatics, which is also a "spray in the air" kind of strong. Very economical actually... Newer fragrances seem to fade so quickly but this one goes on and on and on. Still, like so many of EL's fragrances (esp. Youth Dew, a real stinker in my opinion), I think this is a love it or hate it scent.

Leesee
Leesee

I am flummoxed -- the scent as described by the other reviewers on this site is likable, even lovable. The scent as experienced? A thoroughly bitter blend of greenery and potting soil . . . unpleasant to the extreme. Perhaps I will need to give this scent another try in case I completely missed its beauty the first time around, but for now, I remain unimpressed, and as I stated at the outset, flummoxed.

mmsmlzgud546
mmsmlzgud546

Mom wore this when I was little and growing up. Makes me think of a buisness woman ready for work :) Strong and femanine. Very Sophisticated!

artgoddess
artgoddess

My favorite fragrance, IDeal for sporty wear or to the office. Crisp and clean like fresh cut grass or a walk in an herb garden on a summer day. I get many compliments when I wear it. Not "girly," but more sophisticated.

Aliage by Estée Lauder 3.85 out of 5 based on 237 ratings and 45 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Aliage fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Aliage, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aliage by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aliage by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.