Designers » D E » Floral « Groups

Beautiful Estée Lauder for women
dislike

I have it: 783 I had it: 848 I want it: 170 My signature: 23

Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Videos Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Videos
Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures Beautiful Estée Lauder for women Pictures

Beautiful is a floral fragrance that was launched 1985. This is a romantic light bouquet of a thousand flowers, combined with fresh citrusy notes in the top and warm woodsy notes in the base. The top notes include rose, mandarina, lily, tuberose and marygold. The intensive floral heart is sweet, consists of orange flower, jasmine and ylang-ylang. The base notes are warm and elegant, include sandalwood and vetiver.
The fragrance range includes perfume, EDParfum, EDToilette, bath&body line and several limited editions. Beautiful was launched in 1986.

Black Currant Fruity Notes Cassia Galbanum Bergamot Lemon Rose Mandarin Orange Lily

Mimosa Magnolia Carnation Tuberose Orange Blossom Chamomile Narcissus Freesia Lilac Jasmine Pink Violet Sage Neroli Marigold Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Geranium

Sandalwood Musk Vanilla Vetiver Cedar Amber

Beautiful Precious Drops
Fleurs d`Orlane
Jontue
Just Cavalli

Beautiful Fragrance Reviews

Lalionne
Lalionne

In the nineties this has been one of my favorite perfumes for several years. Even with my then moderate income, I regularly bought the special and rather pricey giftsets (with body milk and powder, perfume, soap etc.) I really liked it that much. But then I got to work with a woman who also used Beautiful. She was very big, used lots of make-up and even more perfume. The whole building smelled of Beautiful. And then all of a sudden, from one day to another, I could not image anymore why I had ever liked Beautiful. I found it way too sweet and strong. The woman did not stay long at the office where I worked, but my taste for Beautiful was ruined. And I still wonder whether she really used that much, or if I had underestimated the power of this fragrance all along.

anet54
anet54

I have heard and read so much about this fragrance that I finally had to try it, and now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what everyone else loves about it.
I purchased a small bottle of the spray perfume and spritzed my wrists, and all I could smell was a strange herbaceous, green scent (no flowers at all) that morphed into a sort of cat pee smell. I'm getting almost a curry scent...not something I want to smell like.
I know it's just my chemistry: I have a very hard time finding fragrances that work for me.
So, am very disappointed that this one didn't even SORT OF work for me... Sign me, "Still Looking..."

lorililly
lorililly

I wore this when my son was small. A friend of mine gave me a bottle, and I LOVED it!! It was a fresh,"green floral" with lasting power. It smelled expensive. Unfortunately, while pregnant with my daughter, my body chemistry changed and this smelled TERRIBLE on me and I could no longer tolerate it! Rarely smell it on anyone any longer, but when I do, I recognize it and it smells lovely on...OTHER PEOPLE! I will continue to enjoy it vicariously :)

Togiii
Togiii

The one I have is in a taller bottle. It is very sharp and I think it suits older people more.

mattie5960
mattie5960

This has been my mom's "signature" since I was born, or, at least, as long as I've had memory of smell.

So now I'm 22 years old and I recently bought a Sandalwood bath soap. I liked the smell of that, so I then bought an aftershave that uses sandalwood extract as its only fragrance. I wore the aftershave for the first time today and noticed that I kept getting whiffs of the smell of my mom. Knowing what her signature scent was, I decided to check out the notes in "Beautiful" here. Lo and behold, Sandalwood is in the mix.

So basically, this fragrance is what I recognize as the smell of my mother, and Sandalwood is a big enough part of this fragrance that Sandalwood, on its own, reminds me of my mother.

I think it's a good smell. I associate it with loving, nurturing, and distinguised womanhood characteristics, but I've gotta say that in this instance, it was the woman that made the smell, for me, not the other way around.

Estée Lauder Beautiful has most definitely changed since it was introduced in the 80's. Although still a nice scent, it is no longer the lush dense floral powerhouse it once was. It once smelled like it had a hundred different flowers, all aggressively competing for your attention at the same time. Today, that bouquet seems somewhat toned down. It was once marketed as a scent to be worn by young brides. Today, it is more the scent of elegant women with classic style who don't wish to smell like fruit and sugar. Beautiful has that element of hidden tuberose that is so prevalent in fragrances produced during the 80's and 90's, that for me, it clearly comes from that era. Beautiful was such a potent fragrance back then that I developed an instant headache every time I wore it, but it was so lovely that I endured the headache every once in a while so I could enjoy the scent. Eventually my mini ran out and I gave up on Beautiful due to the headaches. After all these years, I bought a new bottle of Beautiful. Reformulated? Yes, I would say so. Headaches? Nope. Whatever they did to change it, it no longer gives me headaches, but it no longer smells as good either. I'll take the trade off and enjoy my new version. If you are curious about this scent and aren't prone to headaches, I would recommend finding an old bottle. It really is lovely.

SamanthaRenee
SamanthaRenee

I wore this back in the late 80's once I had my own job,as it was rather pricey then. I loved it then and wore only it because I found nothing else that equaled its magic. I put it on again a few months back ( a mini from an Ester Lauder collection ) and it smelled different to me. It seemed to lack the beauty and charm it once held for me. I honestly don't know if time has changed my tastes or if this has been reformulated. Either way I have fond memories linked to this gem and recommend floral lovers to try. But as stated many times before : a little goes a long way.

TimtanEssence
TimtanEssence

Is this picture of an OLD bottle? Anyway... Very floral and feminine. Classic scent. I had a man once take a deep breath in and say "What is that perfume you are wearing! It's BEAUTIFUL!" & I replied, "Yes that's exactly what it is."

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Lovley. One of my favorites.

Not as strong as it once was, and much nicer for it.I remember in the 90's it being too cloying,even for me. It is more soft focus; the sharp edges have been blurred and happily for me the violet has come to the forefront. You might have an alternate experience.

I don't experience Beautiful as old fashioned,as others have expressed.
Beautiful is as modern as a scent can be while still piquing my interest.

For me, a fragrance is about so much more than just scent appeal. It has have a
certain mystique, and it seems for me that only happens when I am taken back to another time, a past era.
While I absolutely adore the early to mid century heavies, I can't resist this interpretation of a flield of flowers.It's just perfection! Beautifulwill be in my collection forever.

Aromawander
Aromawander

I finally bought myself a full bottle after putting up a post here for advice, and most members advised me not to blind buy the same, god bless them! When I finally got to test this fragrance I understood why - It's a floral blast of the retro kind, and you NEED to test it beforehand. I found it too overpowering initially (blame the full-blossom tuberose and jasmine) and rejected the idea of buying it altogether, but as we were browsing through different aisles of the mall, this fragrance developed into something so beautiful and elegant that I HAD TO have it!

Opens with a powerful blast of tuberose and jasmine, but other notes like the rose, sandalwood, osmanthus and carnations evolve during the mid-development. This is where I start to love the fragrance. I need to wait for 4-5 hours for the drydown notes to evolve on my skin, with lilies, ylang-ylang, creamy vanilla and cedar base.

If you are eyeing this, mind that Beautiful is not your average go-to office perfume..It is unabashedly potent and makes no excuses for its scintillating presence. Best compliments those like their fragrances loud! Since I love the mid notes and drydown best, I spray long before I have to head out, so that the initial loudness of tuberose wears off a bit. Lasts the entire day on me. Has an enormous sillage, so spray sparingly. Enjoy!

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

Is Beautiful Precious Drops the parfum extract version of this fragrance or is it a fragrance all on it's own?

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is a quintessential classic, classy feminine floral. It's heady, warm, inviting, luxurious, romantic, and lasts a long time, making it a genuine investment fragrance in that it is definitely worth your pennies - that is, of course, if what your after is all of the above.

I used to stay away from it, because while indeed I thought it beautiful as a sniff from the bottle, it did strike me as strong. But after spraying it, and seeing how sweet and retro it is, I like it very much. Again, as I always stress, one's chemistry plays a major role in how well a fragrance develops. I thoroughly enjoy wearing it, because it's a smell I can enjoy throughout the day, while feeling pretty and elegant. It's easy to wear, even if it is heady. It's not overpowering (if you are sparing) and gives off a womanly, welcoming vibe.

A treasure.

jake.shouse

Beautiful is not Masculine smelling AT ALL this is a straight up floral no leather notes none of that nonsense this is the scent I wear and have worn since I was 14 years old now soon too be 30 this scent is my first love. Yes it that's good. Good enough too be locked up and the key held in my locket for safe keeping this is my scent always. Beautiful is the most unique smell EVER. Please try it if you like a perfume that holds and smells clean kinda soapy but not bar soap smell and this holds so long on clothes and skin anyone who has never tried this go try it and smell the beauty coming from the bottle because it is Beautiful.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

Im not generally a fan of Estee Lauders fragrances but this one is one of the ones I like best, its not too young or old and its not too floral or chemical. Its pleasant and I think in a small amount its good for most occasions. Not particularly unique but not everything has to be!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The name fits the scent: Beautiful exudes, in fact, beauty – in its more elegant, classic, versatile, feminine meaning. The scent opens with a perfect bouquet of rich and noble flowers (rose, jasmine, tuberose, carnation...), aldehydes, a balsamic breeze (partially naturally green, partially synthetic, provided by a subtle aquatic note), a woody base of sandalwood and some delicate chypre notes, and not much else. Simple but compelling, straightforward, rich, really pleasant, opulent and feminine, with a fresh twist – don't think of classic chypres, the territory here is lighter, more lively, more floral. On the drydown it becomes eventually a bit more dry and darker, revealing an unexpected masculine side of almost-leathery notes, humid and shady echoes of flowers, drier woody notes (salty vetiver also?). Not exactly "unique", but a versatile, solid, classic scent – the ideal signature scent for "the modern, self-conscious refined lady".

7,5-8/10

Tracyarts
Tracyarts

Review is based on an older bottle of EDP.

I get an explosion of flowers that is tempered by green, citrusy, and woody notes. Very feminine. Mature, but not frumpy. A little goes a very long way and it has a strong staying power.

My mother was a true blue fan of Estee Lauder cosmetics and was always giving me minis and small GWP bottles of the fragrances, along with the occasional full size bottle. Most of them I keep purely as mementos, but this one I wear now and then for enjoyment instead of pure nostalgia.

jake.shouse

I have no clue why "Beautiful" was compared too Pleasures LOL uh NO Beautiful smells potent and smell of roses and tuberose and orange blossom and ect Pleasures smells like Faint rain fall and very green smelling and can mimic the smell of Grass. So Non Sense. Beautiful smells only like one perfume nothing can mimic the scent of a thousand flowers. Comparing those too give one of the best scents and bad name. I can't even smell anything but grass rain and green notes when I smell Pleasures it kinda smells good but nothing in the boat as the pure gold in Beautiful. I haven't smelled Chloe in a long time I know it didn't smell like Beautiful for sure too spicy too my nose and Beautiful has no powdery note. And my aunt Dana has been wearing Beautiful since it's launch and it smells the same on her I think when someone thinks something like a perfume has changed sometimes it most likely had but I have always smelled this scent the same as strong as it is now since I was 3 now soon too be 30 so I am unsure but it smells the same I have been wearing this as my Signature scent since I was 14 so for 15 years this is how it has always smelled too me and my aunt is very wealthy and has had every form of Beautiful from back when they made a solid perfume which was very $$$$$. Plus e are both obsessed with Estee Lauder it's are faithful brand we like other brands but this is by far the best nothing can mimic Lauder and what Miss Lauder has created. Enough said.

Glynis49
Glynis49

I agree the original Beautiful was not as harsh as it is now.

bridgette
bridgette

Opens like strong, cheap, harsh soap. Mellows into harsh soap smell. Reminds me of Chloe by Karl Lagerfeld. Not my thing.

Tony_Jacobs1984
Tony_Jacobs1984

The first time i smelled "Beautiful" was 6 months ago on my boyfriend i knew i had too get closer and bury my nose in Jacobs neck from that night on that is the scent that makes me weak in my knees and it is very seductive and i only want too smell it on him. Beautiful is my favorite scent on him my 2nd favorite is White Linen he smells so good in it and it reminds me so much of my mom so that makes me love it on him it reminds me of being near my mom.

Searro
Searro

Readers,

This is the pinnacle of your Estee Lauder fragrance pantheon, bar none. Such a complex formula with STRONG jasmine and tuberose accents on its foundational notes make Beautiful THE ultimate Estee Lauder eau de parfum. Strangely, the alleged under-accents of fruity citrus and mandarin are either absent altogether or minimal at best in this perfume's composition.

The very first time I'd ever caught a whiff (though that's putting it quite lightly) of Beautiful, it was on the jugular of my gay best friend, who places Miss Lauder's perfumes above all the rest. On his skin, it reacted with his body chemistry to perfectly accentuate Beautiful's rich, musky and clean floral notes. However on my own wrists and neck, it was disarmingly potent, and several of my friends at our favorite club were sniffing the air around me CONSTANLY. This is definitely one of those scents that will continue to turn heads! Enjoy!

ladyone1
ladyone1

i received it as a gift and i am wearing it almost never as i have a tun of perfumes i prefear... actually it's ok... but to heavy & thick for my taste! good for spring & daytime.

Penny Urn'd
Penny Urn'd

My ex- gave this to me for my birthday one year, saying that it reminded him of the most beautiful woman he knew-- HIS EX-GIRLFRIEND (who wore it). I got rid of the perfume first, and then him. Maybe I got it backwards.

BTW he is still on the market. Hard to believe, huh?

caros76
caros76

The name says it all. A classic. Perfect for a summer day. I wouldn't have chosen this in my younger years, great for us 30+s.

Sherihan

According to Estée Lauder's timeline archive, this was launched 1985. And according to the same archive:" It was called the most complex fragrance ever created.More than twenty five years later ,Beautiful is one of the top-selling fragrances in the world and remains a true modern classic".
I have both, edt, and edp.

suile
suile

When this arrived on the market, I travelled to New York from London to buy it, I was so impatient to get a bottle.

I certainly wouldn't have bothered to do this for the reformulation, which completely lacks the high class florist's shop atmosphere of the original and moreover, has an almost unpleasant musty dry-down.

I presume the FDA is to blame for this change. It's a wonder any of us are still alive to write reviews here, considering all the toxins we have been using in our fragrances over the years. Suspicious minds might think it is much more to do with patent protection and commerce than anybody's health, however.

Sherihan

My beloved "Beautiful", wearing it this morning.

Sherihan

Why it's edt is not on Fragrantica?

mystica

Currently available reformulated version (the bottle I have) is a dissappointment.

The original was delightful, a lovingly sweet floral resembling (the smell and sight of) a bridal cake. It would evoke images of pearl necklaces and delicate femininity. This scent was named "Beautiful" for a reason.

The current version is however quite different. It does resemble the original, but it's very clearly not the same perfume at all.

Reformulated Beautiful is bitter, harsh, and chemical. The softness and creaminess have gone. Yes it is wearable in its own right, but just as wearable as the reformulated Opium to someone who knows what it was before.

SamTheRiddler
SamTheRiddler

I don't usually like anything too-floral (other then the occasional simple white floral), but I got a bottle of this so I thought I would try it.

I did like the faint Jasmine note, but over-all, this really didn't work on me. Smelt bitter, and was so overbearing it made me feel ill (coming from someone who mostly wears very strong, spicy scents). Gave it away pretty quickly.

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Reader,

What can I say about this lovely perfume but..WOW !

Yes , it is a one of those few perfumes out there with such a big title that the crown fits perfectly on its head. Madame Lauder really nailed it perfectly.

This fragrance does has very orchestrated note combination that creates a spellbinding, transcending scent that you really don't know which notes are in the perfume but all you know is your in the presence of something heavenly beautiful.
I can see why this fragrance was heavily endorsed in bridal magazines in its day, because it is said all women mysterious looks their most beautiful in a bridal gown in that sacred moment when she is titled wife.
Personally, this fragrance is undeniably female and not just any female but a boldly happy woman, be it in love or in love with her life where she radiates happiness like the sun that her energy warms the heart and makes things grow in her loving aura.
This perfume has a bit of everything to be beautiful its romantic, serene,joyous,flirty, sunny, a lot of things that you can relate to the word "beautiful" .
Its a very well orchestrated perfume indeed, it did reminded me of Chanel no 22 but the quality of musk in this , that made it have more warmth than Chanel no 22 and more available to get your hands on !.
This perfume can last on you for hours and on me lasted until the next day,which I love that has staying power.

I recommend this perfume if you desire a radiant floral perfume that will make you become very unforgettably fabulous , this isn't for the "shy" or "sporty" types, unless they want to make a bold statement of femaleness that is radiant and beautiful like the sun that invites you to bask in her loving rays.

Will I buy this, yes , but I would love to smell this on more women these days, because its just gorgeous and makes your heart beat and even want to say to the woman wearing it , "marry me" , hehe.it has that beauty that draws people to you and makes a very beautiful gift for those who love radiant floral fragrances.

R.I.P Madame Lauder and thanks for creating such a masterpiece , viva the house of Estée Lauder !.

lushnight
lushnight

Smells like the offspring of Joy and White Shoulders; I think it's the jasmine, tuberose, ylang-ylang combination. A little more aggressive than White Shoulders, less aggressive than Joy. Pretty.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

I love Estee. this is one of my favorites. this is just an everyday, wear it anywhere, anybody can wear it fragrance for women. Classic. Fragrant but not overwhelming. Clean smelling. I was surprised by all the various notes in the scent as it actually smells 'basic'. You won't make a splash, you won't conjure up images of intercontinental spy plots while wearing this. You'll just feel lovely in your own skin,whether in a dress or jeans.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Madame Lauder is tops to me in the perfume world: bold, complex, well-crafted, affordable but excellent quality, superb design, often survives reformulations, deceptively populist-common but actually strange and a bit patrician. No wonder Warhol was buried with Beautiful, his favorite perfume at the time. It's classic American pop art but with a deeper sensuousness beneath the gloss. An OTT rose TKO epitome of Lauder. Godzilla bridal bouquet in excess. Pollinated, honeyed, day glow screen printed pink lipstick. Great for when you want to go big or go glam. Valentine's Day.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

This is a bombastic, voluptuous, "throaty" rose. It breathes and sighs unabashedly, like someone who is very comfortable in her own skin, makeup slightly over-the-top as it may be. The fragrance is over-the-top but in a gorgeous, confident way. If I wanted to be a 7 foot tall rose in metallic platforms, my glossy leaves and thorns all swaying about, exulting in my own majestic beauty, this is how I want to carry myself! And I do. :-)

gwmagic77
gwmagic77

Love it because it was my perfume ever and wore it in high school

Flowers Carmel
Flowers Carmel

This is a true classic. Beautifully complex and sophisticated. All the flowers blend together so beautifully! I can understand why this is portrayed as a perfect bridal scent, because it is elegant, clean and reminds one of a perfect bouquet. You will not be disappointed with this one!

Magenta32
Magenta32

I can't decide whether I like (or love) this perfume, but I certainly don't dislike it. There is something about it that I find quite addictive and I just can't stop smelling my wrist when it is on. Beautiful is fresh, ultra feminine and like inhaling a garden of deliciously fragrant flowers on a warm sunny day. If you apply too much of this stuff, the effect will be ruined - you only need a whisper of this scent on your skin because it is very powerful.

When I wear this I feel womanly, classy...beautiful!! It is most certainly fit for a bride, but also fit for any occasion where you want to feel extra special.

jake.shouse

I love my Beautiful this will always be my Signature. I buy beautiful 3 bottles at a time I will never be without this... Estee Lauder is my brand now Modern Muse I added too my collection and im loving it also!

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

This was the staple bridal perfume back in the day (along with its later distant cousin, True Love) and I must say, I can tell this was reformulated. It has become louder in the sillage dept and doesn't have that delicate beautiful floral scent I liked when it was first released.

If you're into florals, this would be your calling. It's is a blizzard of petals. I don't see how some people can say it is faint? Maybe it's just how it latched on to my body chemistry? Maybe that one spritz was too much? Either way, it is as its namesake implies, Beautiful...just like gardens are.

Personally, I would never wear nor buy this perfume given as I am more of an amber/balsamic/animalic type person. But if you are all about the florals, you can't really go wrong with this. But, PLEASE bear in mind that a LITTLE goes a long way. Don't douse yourself with it unless you want to give the impression that you have a closet bridezilla waiting to be unleashed.

debbiesuthd
debbiesuthd

I have to be in the right mood for wearing this perfume, as I have to commit to having its scent hanging about me, unfalteringly, all day and night. And it is very strong. This smells predominately of jasmine on me and very little else. No complexity on my skin - just a great big jasmine punch. Maybe a bit shampooey too?

Giselle Viz

I must agree with the review below me in regards to the "Beautiful" perfume. I have to mix it with a sweet perfume as well. This was the first perfume I ever owned and it was gifted to me on my 16th birthday in the 90's. It did have a sweetness to it that is now missing in this reformulation. It was very beautiful back then. I miss it.

redrapturelove
redrapturelove

Beautiful was one of the first bottles of perfume I bought as a tween in the late eighties. This gem was love love love at first sniff. Back then fragrances were not as mass produced as they are today. Beautiful seemed to be the first fruity floral fragrance available. The mandarin notes combined with rose and jasmine created an aura of fruity innocence and timeless elegance. Recently I purchased a gift set and still find it irresistible,especially the body lotion. I love this fragrance so much. For an extra added kick I add a tiny drop of strawberry oil with it and it smells divine. I will always purchase and enjoy this classic forever, my high school memories of the first fruits available will always be special!!!!!

juliadstone
juliadstone

Can't wear it, the only reason I care for it, or the idea of it, is because it was worn by a beloved grandmother.

nitschevo
nitschevo

Very powerful and truly beautiful scent! I love floral scents so for me this is a huge hit and love! The flowers are fresh and crisp with a ever so lightly touch of woods. I really need this and have to buy another bottle of Pleasures as well - Flower heaven!

A parfume to use with care! One spritz makes you smell wonderful - 3 spritzes makes Beautiful awful and stinking. Lots of flowernotes and a great wiff of the 80's in a good way. Not for kitten - Beautiful is a scent for SheTiger =).

En doft att använda försiktigt! En sprejning gör att du doftar underbart - 3 sprejningar gör Beautiful fruktansvärd och stinkig. Massor av blomnoter och en rejäl puff av 80-talet på ett bra sätt. Inget för kattungarna - Beautiful är en doft för superpuman =).

aoki83
aoki83

Offensive! Pungent! Awful! It's strong and overpowering just like White Diamonds. I hate them both!

Tine1world
Tine1world

It's a classic. I've had many forms of this. From solid perfume to the dusting powder. When I was ever asked the question. How are you? Often wearing this. My Reply. 'Beautiful thank you'. Wonderful Longevity. Expensive and worth every drop. Wore this on my first marriage. Will buy again when it's on special or gift with purchase. Love it, love it. Love it!

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

im not a big fan. i get a lot of floral. carnation, jasmine, tuberose, rose, scandalwood, musk, and some sweet yet a little bitter on me. i think this is so overly floral it makes me sick. it kinda makes me think of a girl with her hair down with a floral print dress flowing in the breeze in spring. maybe it works better on others. it definately smells like a lot is going on, but too floral for me. i think its business casual.

my husband thinks its floral.

Profumanta
Profumanta

This is, as we speak, my first and foremost favourite. It really fits me. I adore this scent.

Scout
Scout

I adore Beautiful for its unique florals. It's almost as if it is one singular unique New Flower that emerges. I can recognize it a mile away. But when I wear it on my skin, there's a note in the base that emerges to smell like the tarnish on coins. Ever smell a dirty nickel or darkened penny out of the coin dish? Or your fingers after you've done wrapping your piggy bank? That's the note I'm talking about. Metallic - oxides. I also get it from White Shoulders. Wish I knew what it was, or if others can even pick up on it on my skin. Would otherwise likely be a signature for me.

michelle.p.stpierre

@Jake.shouse...I over-sprayed myself with this a few months back when I tried it again after so many years, (meaning more than 10 sprays) and it faded on me quickly. Today, I tried again with a sample bottle I got when I purchased Modern Muse. I'm getting the same results. I'm not the only one. Many are experiencing this problem. This also happened with Estee between 2008-2011, but they corrected the problem starting with batch A31 (America March 2011). They need to do the same with this one. They're having to reformulate in order to meet IFRA regulations I've found out. Glad it isn't affecting you.

Edit : This sample is a little improvement, but still needs work getting it back to smelling and lasting on the skin like the original formulation. Keep it up Estee Lauder! You'll get it just like you did with Estee!

DianeL
DianeL

One of my all time favourites, soft but at the same time quite strong, wonderful scent

andreabutler111
andreabutler111

I loved this in the 80`s its all I wore. I bought some recently its changed its not the same as it was. What a shame. Lovely but not beautiful anymore.

Centsless
Centsless

Another one that smells decent on some people but not on me. Too many competing florals that give me a headache. I ended up giving to my mother who is in her 60's and she isn't crazy about it either. I agree with the person below who said it's very sharp.

indorm
indorm

I used to love it in the 80s and remember waking up with perfume in my hair in the morning after wearing it the night before.

A while ago I tested it in a department store, and it has changed, unfortunately. It is not a fragrance I would care to buy anymore. Disappointing.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

It reminds me of the plain white Dove soap...or of the original orange-colord V05 shampoo. And that's not a bad thing at all.

Rest assured, this is a very classic floral fragrance. If you're into smelling like candy and desserts, steer clear of this because it's not for you.

But if you love loud, classic, combinative florals, you'll love this.

From the entire Estee counter, this is the one that I've never touched, because I thought it looked boring...and in my eyes, it still kinda is...but It's still very nice! I wouldn't mind having a small bottle of this, because I love carnations and white flowers.

It's very soapy and pungent, so I would imagine it'd be pretty strong.

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

This is the 80s in a bottle. Many of the women at the church I attended in those days wore scents in this vein. I'm normally not allergic to fragrances, but my eyes started itching as soon as I sprayed this.

chijuri
chijuri

I don't know why there are so many people don't like it. I enjoy the feeling of being a lovely young lady when I wear it during the day. Strong enough to last all day but elegant enough to not make me feel overwhelmed. Love it.

dasavimo
dasavimo

so femenine..... terrible headaches

alchimia72
alchimia72

I tested it yesterday. Well, I usually snubbed Esteè Lauder fragrances because the ones I have Known previously are in my opinion a bit strong and overwhelming, and they often lacks of the testers. Yesterday I had a chance to test them and I find Beautiful very interesting. It's a bit strong at the beginning, maybe because of the presence of tuberose. After a while the other flowers explode and the well blended result reminds me a garden in spring time. The dry down is very elegant. Honestly I like it very much and I find a good compromise between decent price for good quality. Like all the fragrances of this brand it's strong and long lasting, so it' worth the money.

stormyla
stormyla

This fragrance smells absolutely beautiful on everyone but me. I've tried to wear it just about every 5 years with the same results. Such a shame, I love smelling it on others.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Truly rich and classy garden party - summer garden full of intoxicating flowers, snow-white tablecloths, ripe fruit, sandalwood, amber, POWDER, cocktails, champagne...
at least the old version
I think they choosed the wedding advertisement as a symbol of fresh youth, not particularly wedding day or a bride.
Very 80´s, reminds me of Vendetta

Jayeecee
Jayeecee

When I first spray this on I find it quite overpowering, so much so that I gave up wearing it for quite a while despite it being one of my favourite perfumes of a few years ago. I just thought my body chemistry must have changed so that it did not suit me anymore and I've only worn it twice in the last three years, both times at work. On each occasion though, I was approached by a male customer who complimented me on my perfume - the second one even said 'What is your perfume - it's beautiful!' To which I replied, 'Yes, it's Beautiful by Estee Lauder'. - Corny, I know, but I felt like I was in an advertisement! Today, spurred on by these memories I decided to try Beautiful again and, what do you know, this afternoon at work it happened again when a gentleman came in, told me he only had 40 seconds for a very quick browse and ended up buying the most expensive book in the store! Just before he left he asked me what my perfume was, told me how well it suited me and that he could smell it immediately he came in. He thought it was beautiful too and as his degree was in chemistry he was going off to find out all about the scents involved in Beautiful! Well I never! I may just wear it every day - intoxicating customers with a beautiful aroma is no bad thing, especially if it encourages them to spend more! I don't have a signature perfume at the moment but this could well be it.

txchococat
txchococat

I loved this when I had it in college when it first came out and recently bought a small bottle thinking it would be the same. It was horrible - I ended up scrubbing it off. The powdery smell in the opening was too overpowering. Not for me.

Kyles
Kyles

I am so upset with Estée Lauder, my mum was given a gift set of miniature bottles including "Beautiful" some time ago, maybe about 2008. She decided to give me Beautiful because she knew how much I loved it. Of course I used the whole bottle over the years and just a couple of days ago my parents bought me a 75ml bottle for my birthday as I finished the first one. I opened the perfume up and took a smell and noticed a change, but I didn't lose hope I thought maybe because I didn't smell it on my skin it just smelt different in the bottle. Actually, I sprayed some on my wrist and ran to the bathroom to rinse some of it off. It was so strong it hit me like a wall. The original scent complimented my skin so well and this new scent smelt so different. I then went to look online to see if maybe my skin wasn't the same with the perfume, but others agreed its been reformulated. Im incredibly upset. I don't HATE it but I don't love it like the timeless classic we all knew. I actually sent a complaint to Estée Lauder, of course I won't get a response but I needed to vent. ;) Hehe

jake.shouse

This scent always makes me feel so Beautiful and being a openly Gay male who wears women's perfumes it makes people take a double take like man that dude smells better than my wife or GF LOL My boyfriend loves all my perfumes on me but he loves when I wear my Beautiful Colton my Bf of many years always knows when I am around because he say I can smell my BF! He loves my scents and so do I!

jake.shouse

One word Liquid Gold! I love it my Signature scent always and forever I love my Beautiful!

michelle.p.stpierre

Estee Lauder, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. If Madame Estee were to have worn this, she would admonish you for the poor quality that now has befallen this once beautiful fragrance. This was bold, beautiful, floral, and could last and last. The formulation out now? Get get a blast of the original fragrance, it will stay maybe 20 minutes (if you are lucky) , then you are left with the oily residue of carrier oil on your skin with no scent whatsoever. For what is charged for a bottle of this to smell "nothing" is an abomination!

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

Overpowering - that's the first word that comes to mind. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. Overdose of all sorts of different florals in bottle of thick, musky, vanilla and berries "juice" of some kind. On the right person, with a light hand, this smells nice - nothing exciting, but nice. On me? No - I gave it away.

jake.shouse

I love this perfume but their are people out their who hate this abit like white diamonds not in the smell I mean bec their both so strong me I only like strong and have had 2 people tell me I smelled awful in beautiful but you know I have gotten hundreds of comments over the past year that loved it this perfume is a very high end smell and this Isent for the faint heart this is for bold people who can rock this perfume and I do no matter what someone thinks most people are just jealous because they can't afford Beautiful, I will always wear this as my main Signature scent and not one person will ever so so make me stop buying it because it is strong people if you don't like a perfume someone is wearing just keep your mouth shut just makes me laugh when someone will put down Beautiful when their wearing a dollar store perfume body mist LOL It is all good and this makes me feel beautiful I will always wear this I love love love it!

surfergirlpuppy
surfergirlpuppy

Spicy floral without being oriental or too woody. It goes on as a flutter of exotic lillies & carnation and dries down to a peppery rose scent. It does make one feel beautiful, and every woman I smell this on has happened to be attractive. I keep this in my permanent scent rotation.I use it when I need a little lift of spice & feeling creative.

jake.shouse

I love wearing Beautiful it is amazing and smells better than anything on the market... Nothing tops my Beautiful. For people who like a lighter scent this is not for you unless you spray one spray and that will make it lighter but I spray like 3 or 4 I like heavier perfume and always get people saying man you smell so BEAUTIFUL I say yes I do...<<<< LOL EL is my favorite brand by far. But if you don't like this scent bec of it being very heavy try Beautiful Sheer it can be strong also if over sprayed but it is lighter and it is a Lilley Of The Valley perfume by far and smells good and owned a bottle for over a year but I prefer the Original Beautiful. Dazzling Sliver and Knowing and Cinnabar are other ones I have and love.... Try Lauder perfumes their worth the money!

Perhaps it's due to reformulation, or maybe I've just changed but I recall really, really hating Beautiful when I was younger.
It's still not something I would wear myself, but it doesn't seem nearly as overpowering and heavy as it used to.
Now Beautiful is mostly a mix of yellow & white florals with a strong chamomile note. Lots of lily, even more mimose, some tuberose and a bit of ylang-ylang.
It's certainly not modern, but it's not terribly dated either. It recalls the era it was produced in, but isn't completely trapped in it.

Fragrantnatic
Fragrantnatic

I remember this perfume distinctly today, its one of those that I used a lot of when I was in my late 20's back in the late 1990's. Estee Lauder was so "IN" at that time and yes, BEAUTIFUL is one of the most popular fragrances that time. I got this the first time in a miniature bottle & got hooked pretty hard! Today, all I can recall about it is that it is predominantly flowery with all the tuberose and jasmine. was thinking that I might still have some left in an old bottle in my dresser.. LOL!

a 4/5 for me.. very feminine & lasts a long time on my skin. :)

projectalice345
projectalice345

I still remember being a kid and watching the silly commercials with these women is these weird misty hazes. totally funny.

pollie428
pollie428

I love this scent. I didn't used to because I have a friend who put all her fragrances on very heavy, like she took a bath in them. I hated the scent until I met someone and complimented her on how good she smelled. She told me it was Beautiful. So, that's the way it's supposed to smell! I kind of thought it was too she-she fru-fru for my taste, but now I love it. It has a soapy scent to my nose.

Elle949
Elle949

Too much flowers! I might be a bit biased because this perfume had me sneezing eer five minutes until I got home and took a shower. All the same I have the same complaint with all of lauder's perfumes. Too many notes. Too strong. Too much

red347

Okay, I was recently gifted a very special bottle of the vintage Beautiful. For me, the vintage has the same "DNA" as the reformulation, only a little deeper, more complete I guess...

It is such a... dare I say, BEAUTIFUL fragrance!

Anyhow, thank you Rosie-san, this bottle shall be stored under lock and key, stored away with antique firearms and gold! Yep, its that good!

tterekhova
tterekhova

I like how this perfume feels after a while. The first impression after spritzing is a bit sickening, but gets much better after an hour and absolutely incredible after few.

My girlfriend at high school (when we were exchanging clothes) was always complimenting scent it leaves on clothes. Beautiful

JoanCrawford
JoanCrawford

When I want to go back in time, I always wear beautiful. It sends me back to the mid-eighties. A time of power-hungry sophistication, structured shoulder pads, and big hair. To me, this fragrances sums up the entire decade in a bottle. It will remain ever timeless in it's brilliant mask of demure, musky sandalwood and white floral decadence. I find this to be one of, if not the best Estee fragrance out there. While it's not for everyone, I would certainly give it a try.

akeener
akeener

I first smelled this scent in the December 1985 edition of Vogue in a perfume ad. Since then, I've always associated it with the fantasy the magazine was selling - sophistication, worldliness, wealth, decadence, etc. When I smell it today, it sill defines "80's Chic" to me.

piapedersen

to fragscent: In my opinion, especially the musk but also the spices are way more outspoken in burberry weekend. Beautiful is a more 'clean' and flowery scent - but that's just my opinion ;O)

teilani
teilani

I am coming to terms with the fact that I love the big 80s floral and oriental scents.

I tried this for the first time only a couple of months ago. It's in my top tier of favourites. This works with my chemistry very well. It is strong but doesn't overwhelm me. In fact, when I smell it on me, it puts a smile on my face.

It lives up to its name in my world and is making a place for itself in my top 5 or so scents.

4scents
4scents

After finally testing this perfume, on me this perfume is very similiar to Yves Saint Laurent, Paris, which is one of my all time faves but Beautiful turned into a very loud floral with a powdery dry down that was over kill for my taste. A floral that has been an all time favorite for many women for various reasons, just did not work out for me.

perfumequeen23
perfumequeen23

I am so glad I tested this as I was just going to blind buy it, it doesn't agree with me at all :( plus I think its to mature for me to get away with wearing it (21 years old) shame I might try it again in a couple of years and see how I feel then.

maryellen125
maryellen125

Wore this for my wedding in 93, influenced, no doubt, by the ads in every Bride magazine. Loved it then, but now I think it would seem like, "Oh, you're wearing Beautiful," not "Oh, you smell great." May try some of the many spin-offs.

fragscent
fragscent

I think this perfume has very similar scent to burberry weekend. Classic floral powdery and feminine scent. To me they are almost identical. I wonder why no one has mentioned that yet.

Meche2011
Meche2011

The first time I smelt beautiful I came undone. It was like a spell had been cast. I felt haunted by the floral notes that came first then followed the powdery undertones and I was in heaven...

It has amazing sillage and longevity which is rare in these new rip-off fragrances.

I love how I can still smell the scent on my clothes even after they have been laundered.

When wearing this fragrance I am often told by both men and women that they have never smelt a more beautiful fragrance.

This beauty is a keeper and in my opinion will never date, as I don't believe classical perfumes to fade out of fashion or smell old fashioned. I have never really understood why people say that about 80's fragrances. The best perfume creations already exist.

Beautiful is a well balanced perfume materpiece that has stood the test of time.

rosembloom

@Red: Thank you! You guys are sweet! I agree, despite its many spicy and sparkling notes , it does have a vintage-like boudoir scent akin to White Diamonds. I am not saying they are alike, but that they both exude that calm and confident vibe while remaining classically deep and luscious xxx hello to u Red! xxx

red347

Well, I want to thank my newly found friend and mentor "rosembloom" for her wonderful review of Estee Lauder Beautiful, scroll down, find it, read it, like it! LOL

Now after that shameless plug ;) let's get on to this "Beautiful" fragrance!

Estee Lauder, 1985, etc., etc... This is an 80's floral that almost everyone has smelled before. This is a very complex floral, that at least on my skin isn't all that "powerful" as I was expecting... not necessarily a bad thing, well for me anyhow! Being this complex of a fragrance, it seems like body chemistry plays a huge part in how it actually smells on an individual; for example, on me it comes across as a mild soapy, powdery, floral with a musk and vetiver base. Now, on my wife it is this glorious, dare I say... Beautiful... power 80's floral...

Do I like this... Sure, you bet!
Will it end up as my signature... Probably not but I will always keep a bottle around!

karenrobert
karenrobert

I remember how gorgeous , classy, and exotic Paulina was modeling for Beautiful. I always thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world. She made we want to rush out and get this perfume because of her amazing aura. My best friend's holy grail fragrant was "Beautiful". I remember it was considered an expensive hobby back then for a student like me. My friend had an underarm odor issue and this was her solution for the madness. It works wonder to conceal just about any body odor issues. It was strong and it will spread its wings far and wide reaching across the room. I can't remember much about this fragrant except that it was soapy and clean floral . My friend only used the body lotion because the perfume didn't last long enough on her . I can't remember if the perfume was memorable or not. I just remember I had a migraine when she dosed herself in this Beautiful pleasure. Best for colder weather. Not so great for gals who are migraine prone. The body lotion seem to last much longer than the actual perfume spray.

aqua76239
aqua76239

I smelled it in a magazine inserts numerous times but didn't try on my skin until recently. Its strong spicy floral, very full bodied and very 80s. If you like fragrances like Tiffany and Red Door, you will probably like this. I can't say its my favorite but I just generally do not like spicy floral scents.
I don't see this resembling White Diamonds a lot-to my nose, WD has a dusty note from aldehydes but I don't smell it in Beautiful.
Incidentally, Beautiful has always been marketed by Estee Lauder as "wedding scent" but there is nothing about this scent that says "wedding" to me. I picture this on older, sophisticated woman.
And as another reviewer noted, for this category it appears to be a rather weak scent. I was quite surprised because it didn't last very long after I sprayed it. Tiffany lasts MUCH longer than this.

jake.shouse

I see someone compaired Beautiful too White Diamonds good god come on really ? White diamonds is too powdery and way out dated beautiful is the new Shalimar and too me this is the mother of all perfumes Chanel number 5 is no match for Beautiful lets get one thing straight anyone who put this perfume down has issues this is a scent that smells wonderful and for haters that hate upon this perfume need a perfume intervention because this is the best this is my scent and me and my aunt are the only 2 out of my 28 yrs that i have ever smelled this on ppl come on this is way better than any perfume out their.
I'm Bold and know what is good thats for damn sure this is simply my choice of drug! Beautiful and Beautiful Sheer i love!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

The first thing I knew when I smelled this fragrance was that I had definitely smelled it before, many times, on others.
This is not, in my opinion a 'romantic light bouquet', this is a full bodied, big 80s floral, with a heavy dose of spice quite common in that era.
I don't smell the fruity notes at all, this opens as a white floral and becomes a carnation bomb. Carnation is by far the star in Beautiful, with the support of geranium. A very spicy white floral, that projects like crazy. Some amber softens this in the dry-down.
I think fans of Revlon's Charlie Red will appreciate this or anyone who's into the 80s power scents.

KaelanLovesPerfume
KaelanLovesPerfume

This is my mother's signature scent. I'm not a fan of the actual scent, but it is tolerable when she wears it. It seems to last forever on her.

It doesn't really smell like ANY of the notes listed. There are so many notes, they just form a unity to create just a "perfume" type of scent, if you know what i mean.

Very strong, overbearing type smell.

thefemalemantis
thefemalemantis

My mother always mixed this with white linen to create her own signature scent. I would mix it with various vanilla oils as my own signature scent. Always got compliments. I think it's a bit too heavy by itself, but when applied sparingly and mixed with my other stuff.. I think it's wonderful. Beautiful Sheer is great by itself and more of a daytime/summertime version imho.

echo_pl
echo_pl

Gosh, this thing stinks, I had to wash it off from my wrist because I couldn't stand it. It gave me a bad headache.

ttrappe
ttrappe

Staple in my mom's perfume wardrobe and I love it. I have for almost thirty years.

pourfemme2012
pourfemme2012

I love this perfume.

cimbo
cimbo

not for me. it's too strong makes me headache.

sweethearttx
sweethearttx

This was my first perfume as a young teenage girl. I got a bottle from my grandmother. It is very strong, and very floral. Now that I'm in my 30s I tend to shy away from very floral perfumes, and very strong ones, so I don't use it anymore. It is a beautiful scent though if you like florals! It's not my cup of tea anymore though.

RGR
RGR

When I smell Beautiful I feel my mother is hanging out somewhere nearby.
She is the only woman in my world who can wear this. On her it is beautiful, feminine, flowery, clean, vibrant and full of personality. People stop and ask her what she's wearing. She wears the perfume, the body lotion and the perfumed powder everyday.

If I try to wear this its just no good, its awful, people wrinkle their noses and I get headaches and nausea.... I guess all mothers no matter what age can have this effect on their children being able to tackle cooking, delicate matters or in my case a perfume. It is a mystery how she does this so effortlessly and I love her for it.

JS22
JS22

I adored this scent. Started wearing it the year it came out. Everyday. People ALWAYS commented on it. After 25 years, it just stopped smelling good to me. And no one commented on it anymore. One friend who smelled my wrist said it smelled "cloying". Yuck.

I've spent the last year desperately trying to find "my" new signature scent but nothing is meeting my standards. Wish I knew when they changed the formula. If there was a way to get the old one, I would....

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

I like the body lotion version of this a lot better than the EDP. The body lotion is sweeter and smoother.

iamjennyrobyn
iamjennyrobyn

I had this perfume before and it was given as a gift. It was ok , smelled really sweet though. It reminds me of my aunt.

AJphoenix69
AJphoenix69

I bought some a week ago because I thought I was snapping up a bargain, although I was a little dubious about Estée Lauder being in a discount pharmacy and being so cheap...
My instincts sadly were correct...

As soon as I sprayed it on the skin, I had no recognition of this being the Beautiful that I wore for nearly a decade for practically every special occasion.

I just wish I had read the reviews by the wise fragrantica members...yes this has definitely been reformulated.

The most disappointing thing about it being reformulated is that the next generation will not be able to know the real reason why it was called Beautiful...

The other point was I was looking forward to spraying it and being taken back to all those special occasions such as my 21st birthday and the night I was proposed to.....I adore being take back in time by certain fragrances but then don't we all! :)

I will not be buying it again UNLESS it was to go back to the original formula..

derkargy

...but to my surprised,it's been reformulated.I tried it again today and I 'm disapointed.To my nose,Beautiful has lost much of its lusciousness of the past,furthermore it's weak on my skin.I don't think I would buy it again.

derkargy

One of my first loves in perfume industry!I still love it!

Helen70
Helen70

Reading the reviews here, I know a lot of people love this perfume. However, I am not one of them. I saw it recently when I was out shopping and decided to test it. Personally I find it too heavy, too musky and too much of a "mature" scent for me. Whilst it is not unpleasant, it is not really me. It does remind me of Anais Anais (which I owned many years ago and am no longer very keen on) which also is very popular. I am glad I tested this, I now know I would never wear or buy this.

crakky
crakky

MASTERPIECE! That's all I can say...

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Rich sweet tuberose, radiant white and green florals, gentle vetiver and woods. The same now as it was when first introduced to me in 1988. Associations with Nagel-esque angles, shoulder pads, spiral-wrap perms, menagerie necklaces, and other highlights of 80s chic fall away when this scent is experienced today. It stands on its own beyond time. Reminiscent of classically chic, peaceful, elegant women you can trust.

celebrity89
celebrity89

So sad to discover that this fragrance has been reformulated. It used to be a full bodied sweet floral. Now it is a tropical floral. To those who are young, you really missed out. It compared to nothing else. It was rich and lush and had similarites to Oscar De La Renta.

Edit: I was a little harsh previously. I smelled it again and think is it very pretty, a grassy sharp floral like Diorissimo with some Hawiian flowers. Just so much different from the original.

Lisa290872
Lisa290872

Love, love, love this. Pretty, not strong of overpowering. This one's a keeper!

bkblan
bkblan

This is the only perfume that I have been able to wear for years and years and never tire of. Everything else gives me a headache or eventually doesn't smell good to me. I will always have a bottle of Beautiful!

mamta173
mamta173

I have a sensitive nose....n it hit me hard when i sprayed it! (ppl with sensitive nose...take care :D )
it definitely is a strong fragrance. its powerful fragrance reminds me of some essential oil when applied.
M not that fond of this fragrance as there is some thing in it I am allergic to ...i get mild headache when i apply this one...maybe its the strong fragrance or something else.
It lasts for about 3-5 hours on me...it has a nice lasting power. sillage is good. the fragrance lingers around you and mind you it is difficult to go unnoticed when u have this perfume on

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

How sad that when you adore a perfect fragrance, sometimes it changes. I've never known anything but the reformulation myself, but I can believe it.

Beautiful was my first powerhouse fragrance and the most amazing department store value, IMHO. Just a mini spritz here and there and I smell incredibly expensive. My bottle has lasted longer than I thought possible, and I even spray it on my armpits in summer! It freshens everything I wear and makes my sweaty moments almost lovely!

Yes, Beautiful does have a sharp, almost cold note and an oddly green musk drydown. Because of this I find myself enjoying it's qualities much more when the weather is warm. In winter I want something cozy, which is the only thing lacking here.

UPDATE
The version I have is an edp, purchased recently in the USA. If the IFRA reformulations predicted have come to pass, those of you in Europe are not smelling the same thing. It will have been watered down considerably! Keep this in mind as you are reading these conflicting reviews. On me, Beautiful edp has excellent longevity and sillage!

Five stars

mystica

Estee Lauder's Beautiful is one of the best in florals category. However it's somehow cold and raw for me. Just too much flowers. It's not sexy, not inviting. Just straightforward lady, a very lady.
I will add it to my collection though, it's a creation I rever.

Update: I now have this in my collection and I wear it whenever the mood strikes me. Beautiful has quite a strong character. It's a mature fragrance best worn with a mature attitude.

Migalex
Migalex

I just do not understand how they managed to create this perfume out of those notes. This is a very special scent, with a very very special texture and to me a remarkable metalic peach smell. I would think it has peach and hyacinth in its composition, but these notes are not listed above. It is probably the carnation what gives it that metalic edge. I used to like it much better many many years ago (almost thirty), but I do not know if it has been reformulated. I find the old scent as I can remmeber it much more special. Now, if I wear it I find it a bit too sweet, I do not know, not as well balanced, Well, I still find it special and unique, although with a lesser character and it is not one of my favourite perfumes. Simple but totally appealing I find the name - I love it; isn't it beautiful?

suhaesa
suhaesa

i guess the name says it all..no more explanation needed.. simply its one of the most beautiful flowery scents in the whole wide world...i am not so in too flowery notes but beautiful is in a class of its own..i love most of estee launders perfumes they all hold a special place in my heart they all have charisma and a unique character to each individually ..many of them are master pieces that forever shall be cherished and added to the history and heritage
of perfumery as all time classics ..beautiful reminds me of a beautiful summer bride ,bright,elegant,and full of hope for a bright new future with the man she loves,if you want to see the world in pinkie hues try beautiful its spark will ignite any day and lift your senses to a more shiny place ..its a tantalizing bouquet of flowers floating in ethereal space

rating 4.4 out of 5

laura.linger.3
laura.linger.3

I coveted it for years in the Eighties when I was poor and couldn't afford it. I would go into L.S. Ayres and drench myself in the scent from the tester, then inhale as much I could from the bottle until my mother told me it was time to leave! I received my first bottle of the stuff from a boyfriend; the perfume lasted longer than the relationship, and while I no longer love him, my adoration of Estee Lauder Beautiful remains today. It's the one perfume that never fails me, it's the one scent I own that is absolutely perfect with every single spritz, it's the one scent that I have been true to for over 25 years (I can be a very fickle mistress!). I wore Beautiful on my wedding day, because it was the prettiest I have ever been and the fragrance just fit. It's beading and lace and fancy and romantic dreams, the most aptly named scent that exists. I don't care what the notes are. Beautiful is about the end result.

elisa.fuentes briones
elisa.fuentes briones

love it ....... carnation ...... timeless

Soap
Soap

Beautiful by Estee Lauder reminds me of one thing: the nauseating headaches I would get every time I wore it or smelled anyone within a mile wearing it.

I've worn it twice. Me no like.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I have worn this beautiful perfume since it came out when I was in Grade 11. Is so interesting and fresh and sweet and exciting, and the boys just love it! Fabulous longevity and silage! If you want to get a huge BANG for your buck, Beautiful, and MANY Estee Lauder fragrances, are worth a shot. (Private Collection & Spellbound are a few classic heartbreakers....) EL is top of the line for quality, price, and longevity...

Edit: Tried this while shopping, and it is definitely not the same as it was....definitely more artificial. Oh well, EL has many that are still Amazing!!

pfcs
pfcs

My mother wears this all the time. It is not objectionable in any way. I'm just more of a Youth Dew, Spellbound, Cinnabar lady. Beautiful is rather tame for me.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is it. The fragrance of a lifetime. The one that countless friends and a couple of my boyfriends have chosen as their absolute FAVORITE. Wear this, and all other fragrances dull by comparison. What is it? Hmmmmmm... the bouquet of sophisticated flowers which immediately know that you are dealing with a refined upper class woman, rather than something that just "everyone" wears. This is the defining element that establishes a "woman" from a "lady". We ALL know what this is. Those born with the silver spoon and those born without can all determine a true "lady" when she walks in the room. Her scent is memorable. It doesn't shout, but states most definitely that you are in the presence of a woman that knows "who she is"-- and "knows her worth". She is refinement, elegance, taste, nobility, honor, respect, and the woman that you want to place on a pedestal and introduce to your parents. This is the fragrance the first woman American President shall wear... if nothing at all.

--------------

As a singer and musician, when I find a fragrance that has a blended chord (exactly as a musical chord)... where all of the notes appear to come in as a full chord - these fragrances seem to be the most appealing to me with my own chemistry and normally elicit the most compliments from both men and women. I've found a couple of fragrances that have this type of effect on me, Beautiful - by Estee Lauder is definitely one of them. I can not smell this on me, but people constantly comment how good it smells. When I smell Beautiful on my wrist, it is coming in as a full bodied chord, no striking notes screaming for attention... just a beautiful bouquet or garden of flowers... intoxicatingly gorgeous- and viewed as a "full chord"... not individual notes - trying too hard to claim the spot light.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I think I smell what Sherapop refers to as the "synthetic note" in the EDP of Beautiful - and to my nose it's a welding of blackcurrant, mimosa, and orange blossom that is soapier than anything you can sud. I recognize the aromachemical that stands in for blackcurrant because the same ingredient is used in Tommy Girl by Hilfiger. This lends the accord a fruity sweetness that is as pleasant here as it is there. However, mimosa is not a preferred note for me, and its integration lends Beautiful more than a hint of plasticity. The orange blossom ensures things stay that way for a while. Fragrantica lists "fruity notes" in the pyramid, and I'm getting little whiffs of peach and apple, which smell nice but are a bit too blended to really enjoy. Muguet and freesia liven up the base, which smells very musky/green (a strange combination). All things considered, Beautiful is strange, Beautiful is bold, Beautiful is fresh, and Beautiful is not, thank god, beautiful. Makes one heck of a wedding floral, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to smell this on my bride, but I wouldn't be aghast if it was in the running for that particular SOTD.

krmarich
krmarich

Beautiful was all that one would expect from Estee Lauder in 1986. It was a large floral that can only be described as "beautiful". It was a powerhouse signature in every sense. Projection was far and wide, yet those around you totally appreciated it, unlike, Poison. The tuberose was tame, totally embellished with a very green and pink bouquet that develops for hours.

The most amazing effect is the big pink rose at the center. Its not listed on the notes, and I wonder if the supporting cast creates its illusion? The nose must have spent years creating this epic scent. I guess its complex composition is the center of its negative reviews. It is nothing short of "byzantine". They dont make 'um like this anymore!

It is definitely a "mom" smell. Moms can be young or or old. It has a Madonna singing "True Blue" kinda vibe-sassy yet sweet. It is nothing like its little sister Knowing which would debut a few years later. That was the seductress in black fishnets.

Its current formula is not as beautiful as it once was. Its weaker and synthetic. Then the perfume world has long passed that "age of innocence", hasnt it?

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

Funny how memories and associations with certain people affect our taste or distaste for certain fragrances.

I always liked Beautiful. It is a very rich floral that projects- not for wallflowers. Iowned a mini of it back in the day but had no strong memories attached to the times I wore it. Nothing to push me oveer the threshold of liking to loving. I recall wearing it once to a blind date. Nuff said. I'm glad it doesn't evoke any warm, tender memories that make me want to wear it because (flash forward ten years) it is my mother-in-law's signature scent. That totally kills it for me. Can't have my husband snuggling up to me and thinking, "Yes! Mom!"

veritech
veritech

When I wear this I feel like I am in a meadow full of beautiful flowers, on a warm sunshiny day with birds happily chirping and life is good.I sure don't feel old, fake or cheap, I guess it's all about what works for people.Beautiful works well for me:)

missymary
missymary

Today I came back to Beautiful after a long absence, during which I have tried umpteen perfumes of all kinds; I wonder why I can't just settle for the fact that some classics like Beautiful are not going to be easily surpassed by newbies.

Beautiful comforts me in a warm romantic musky snuzzly way. It's gentle and sexy. Its like it's purring around me, it's a cat that got the cream.

The lushly floral aura is ambered and resinous, so it has a womanly close sillage and it lasts ages. on my rather dry skin.

Beautiful is very appropriate for formal and romantic occasions. I would say that it's a good staple in anybody's wardrobe.

Cashmere4ever
Cashmere4ever

One of my faves, as long as I don't go 'spritz-crazy'.

It is VERY POWERFUL.

I always have to console and reassure my partner when I first spray it on… telling her: "Don't worry hunny, it will smell much less powerful after an hour or so.. it's just because I JUST put it on".

One hour later… she loves it on me. And the wonderful fragrance lingers on my skin and clothing till bedtime.

Compliments from everyone when I wear Beautiful. "What r u wearing? You smell wonderful!"

peppermint136
peppermint136

When I smell this I think of my grandma. :) She wears it all the time. It's comforting, but not something I would wear.

stacia79
stacia79

This is far more floral than I can handle. I don't know what it is, but Beautiful is not my kind of beautiful. I smell a hodge podge of very sweet floral. Maybe carnations and marigolds. It reminds me of fancy guest soaps carved into the shape of flowers. It stayed strong and lasted all day. If it were a bride, it would be a super traditional and virginal bride.

If I want a soapy floral for sweater weather I will stick to my Anais Anais.

itscool2hate
itscool2hate

this smells just like Red Door. strong and boring. also smells like lipstick. too ancient and boring for me.

vanillabean23

Love your comments mrsmcfall!! I think you're right about that!! Why do they have to do that?!

mrsmcfall
mrsmcfall

I wore Beautiful when I was 14 years old. It's kind of a family fragrance; my grandmother wore it, my sister wore it. I hadn't smelled it in several years (I am 34 now), and recently smelled it for old-time's sake. The formula has been CHANGED. The current formula for standard Beautiful is now really shi**y, pardon my French. I'm very, very upset with Estee Lauder for thinking they can just up and change the formula. F-you Estee Lauder.

vanillabean23

Classic Estee Lauder. So stylish, memorable and elegant. It can be overwhelmingly strong (I like that about it). I have to be in a particular frame of mind when I wear it. It brings back a lot of memories from the 90's. I still have it in my collection and always will. This fragrance is another life lesson (as referenced in my review about Revlon's Unforgettable). I had another ex-manager who used tell me that she hated Beautiful and went on and on about her hatred for it. I stopped wearing it as I didn't want to upset her. Once again, I came to my senses and thought "too bad lady, I'm wearing it - come what may!" It was another case of dousing myself with this scent and loving every minute of it!! Whenever I wear this, it makes me think of inner strength and individuality - express it any way you can!!

francisrose
francisrose

I received this fragrance for Christmas from my husband and was so pleasantly surprised! He has picked out perfumes for me in the past and seems to love the florals including White Diamonds and Amarige. This is a lovely fragrance and smells soapy and clean, like a bar of fragranced bath soap. This is definitely a feminine fragrance, quite girly. I will wear this one gladly!

nush imogen
nush imogen

Smells exactly like bar soap on my skin, in a bad way. It's sharp, spicy and it tickles in my nose, the bottle is boring like most designs from EL, disappointed like usual.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, Jomoves.
It just doesn't smell the same.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I loved this perfume in the 80s and recently tested a bottle when I was in nostalgic mood. It has certainly been reformulated, because the Beautiful I knew has become rather ugly! I found it very unpleasant, synthetic and sharp, in stark contrast to its soft floral slightly green former self.

That evening I jumped on eBay and bought a pack of old Lauder miniatures and when they arrived I experienced the Beautiful that I knew and loved. So to all you ladies out there who aren't sure if it's you or the perfume that's changed, it's the perfume!

What makes me sad is that younger women will never experience these great old fragrances in their former glory. I thank the perfume gods for eBay!

marydoan90
marydoan90

I smelled this on one of those perfume sample papers, and FLOWERS FLOWERS FLOWERS suddenly hit me.
It was like walking through a meadow filled with multiple and various flowers (then after I saw what all the notes were, it was kind of a DUH on my part).
Very feminine and elegant.
It smells delightful, but I probably wouldn't wear it. I would love smelling it on others, however.
This probably has one of the strongest floral scents I've ever smelled.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

The reason a lot of brides have worn it is because it's one of the classics that's still approachable and inviting. It manages to be elegant, but also quite linear. On a wedding day, the bride knows exactly how this will smell and that it will not change. Our memories are connected to scents, and so Beautiful leaves a lasting impression for the day. What you smell is what you get, and it doesn't pull any punches. However, the video of the bride coming down the runway is classic 80's, when people wanted the spotlight and huge puffy sleeves. :) I prefer the more modern Lauder brides.

Decodawn
Decodawn

6th August 1994, my wedding day! I adore Beautiful it really is the perfume for weddings, floral and very romantic.

lettyb76
lettyb76

It smells like soap.

lbcarrillo
lbcarrillo

Beautiful smells heavenly on my aunt and just as heavenly on my best friend, but if you didn't know better, you'd swear they were wearing two different fragrances. On me, Beautiful smells cloying and it gives me a headache.

rosembloom

Beautiful is a fragrance I can pull off with ease. The complex formulation is a wonder! I can definitely smell the fresh burst of mandarin, of lily, black currant and the deep note of galbanium. It enthralls me everytime I am wearing it and still does at this very moment. Lilac, orange flower, jasmine and ylang ylang create a luxurious heart that lasts and lasts. A mystery in a bottle ... Spices , sharp and creamy at the same time leave a sillage that is recognizable and elegant. I like to wear this in the evening and funny enoug, I tend to chose this fragrance for Xmas. The cedar, sandalwood and vetivier give it a depth which in my humble opinion is warm and sexy. This is a light power perfume for me: when I wear it, I am dressed up to a t, all made up and ready for a lovely eve out: I have gotten so many compliments on this perfume: we shall never part! Dare to be beautifully bold ! xxx

ION
ION

"Beautiful", is among the most beautiful female perfumes. It is as simple as that.
Its only ambition is to make you feel and smell lovely, it really is the incarnation of what one calls "a nice perfume". It does not pretend to be sophisticated or luxurious or fashionable or serious or seductive. It is what it is. Beautiful!
It is sexy in the way any pleasant smell is (maybe more than that) and very distinctive even though quite a few years have passed since its launch.
I find the bride image a little annoying for such an adaptable everyday fragrance, but we all know how many weddings happen around the globe so I can understand the brand's decision.
"Beautiful" is a safe choice for any woman!
Beautiful or not, that is. :)

a note: today's version, much like most classics, lacks the depth of the original.

jtd
jtd

On a recent day of sniffing some department store staples that I’d never tried, I happened on EL’s Beautiful. I’d never read Tania Sanchez’s review in The Guide , so I laughed out loud once I did. On smelling Beautiful I thought, this is Etat Libre’s Jasmin et Cigarette’s long-lost aunt, Rose et Cigar.

I grew up in a time and place in Connecticut where shade-grown tobacco, considered the finest cigar wrapper, could be smelled throughout the summer. In Beautiful’s topnotes, I can recall that scent, but in this case the tobacco combines with rose. It’s a gorgeous match, but unfortunately it doesn’t last very long. The tobacco note fades fairly quickly and Beautiful winds down through a few stages of rosy-approximation/not-rose to a semi-sweet, non-descript floral. I reckon any drydown is likely to disappoint me after my topnote trip down memory lane, but optimism and the Lauder line go hand-in-hand, and so I remain positive..

Fizzy
Fizzy

Fantastic staying power and silage. You can not smell one single note in it - a chemical elixir. A typical old fashioned scent. I can not imagine, a bride would wear it!

pippab
pippab

'Beautiful' was my dear friends' signature perfume for many years. We always knew when she'd entered the room. The sillage was excellent, as was the longevity. It's lost something in the translation since it's been reformulated, and she's moved on to Bvlgari pour Femme. Why do perfume houses do that? If it's not broken, don't fix it!! The newer version reminds me of 'Carolina Herrera', or vice versa.

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Heart is sensing Autumn to come. Nights are getting little bit darker here in lightfull Finland. Feeling our short summer is passing by. I took my bottle of Beautiful and sprayed it on. This scent carries softly through darkening nights reminding warm summer days. This is one of my favourite Autumn time fragrances. Works at winter time also huge well. This is truely Beautiful as its named. In our land this is huge expensive eaven 15 ml bottle (50 euros), this why need to purchase online out there from "big world" *gigles* This is the scent I will always repurchase.

MizLiz
MizLiz

I cannot be objective about this fragrance. Even though my mother doesn't wear it anymore (she has moved on to Angel, of all things!) Beautiful will always be associated with her in my memory. And it is beautiful, just like the name indicates! Rosy, powdery, and a bit green. But I just can't wear it myself. It feels too much like I'm a little girl again, trying on mommy's high heels. But I do love the old commercials featuring the brides! They sum up Beautiful perfectly.

Ava22
Ava22

I for sure will wear this on my future wedding day and honey moon.Is soft elegenat ,romantic and plesent.This sent takes my breath away for million reasons!! The jasmin smells out of this world and the vanilla is so cozy.This is my mother favorite sent and sister inlaw.This fragrance have a special place in my heart and I will always go back to her.this can be warn anytime or any wear is just that specail and people will never give you the evil eye but will smile and say you smell so beautiful, hint the name.Please get this masterpiece you will be very happy!!

piapedersen

This fragrance fits my chemistry, luckily. I've loved it from the first time it drifted past my nose ;O) A friend wore it and I went straight to the shop and bought one for myself. A classic, nothing less...

smartypants1562000
smartypants1562000

Every time I wore this perfume I get tons of compliments. Havent worn it in awhile. It lasts a long time and you either love it or hate it. me, I love it.

Elise1214
Elise1214

I do not agree with the negative responses towards "Beautiful". As with any fragrance, people will have their opinions; however, I believe that most people respond to "Beautiful" based how it smells straight ot of the bottle, and that is not an accurate way to decide on any fragrance, much less one that is as potent as this fragrance is.

The luxury and beauty of "Beautiful", comes out once it settles upon the skin, mixes with your chemistry, and warms to your body-- that is when it can be appreciated.

As with any fragrance, "Beautiful" does not smell the same on everyone. As for myself, I get constant compliments. Aside from compliments or lack thereof; I wear a fragrance because I like it, not because other people like it. I do not seek compliments on my fragrances, but if an individual likes it, great!

Kimmycat
Kimmycat

Strong floral that lingers heavily. I liked it way back in the day of 10 pounds of hairspray and pancake makeup.....not so much anymore. Now it smells dated rather than classic.

Giselle Viz

This was the first perfume ever I owned. I received it on my 17th birthday, in the early 90's. It really did smelled beautiful back then. All the notes were softer and the sillage was breath-taking. I remember spraying it on myself sparingly without offending anyone. It was a very special and memorable scent to me.

I recenlty bought a new bottle and it's just not the same formula. It is not as delicate and sweet as I remember it. It is way too strong now.It smells so synthetic and mature. I get the feeling it was mass produced and the quality of the oils were surpassed for inexpensive ones. I really wanted to re-connect with that special time in my life. A time when I felt so innocent and free. It just did not happen. It's not the beautiful I once loved and knew.

madhatter1
madhatter1

I know this is a classic thats been around however prefer lauder's knowing, white linen dazzling silver/gold, pleasures, private collection, and intuition on me over beautiful.

Soutty123
Soutty123

I loved this when I was in my early twenties (in the early 1990s) and used to get lots of compliments when I wore it. I went off it completely at some stage, finding it too strong and synthetic.

Recently I smelled it on someone else and it really did smell beautiful. I thought I would give it another try and decided that I would try the lotion instead of the perfume. It was a really good move because I get the smell that I love without the sharp notes that I can't stand any more.

So if you like the smell on other people but can't stand the perfume on yourself, try the lotion.

un_used_name
un_used_name

Beautiful smells like flowers and powder. It strikes me as a mature scent, best worn in Winter.

Louw
Louw

A fragrance that truly lives up to its name - it really is beautiful. Very pretty and floral with lots of rose and tuberose notes to it that seem to last right through to the dry-down. Great staying-power too, so always good value for money.

For me this is an occasional treat; a gorgeous special-occasion fragrance that I come back to from time to time. Sometimes the Ylang-ylang can feel a little bit heavy for my current tastes, so I no longer wear this as an everyday fragrance.

babytomato
babytomato

This perfume starts really well, with a lovely floral/fruity blast that promises to be an Amarige,and I was charmed, but then YUCK it settles into a boring old-fashioned heavy powderiness and I was so disappointed. Beautiful possibly if you are 60+ and a sedate silver-haired elegant matriarch. The strong powder finish is just pure Eighties and unbelievably cloying and dated. If I wanted this type of perfume then I would go the whole hog and have Chanel No 5 which is less matronal. Maybe it will come back into fashion but I would never have liked it anyhow, not my taste at all. Viva Amarige!

I found this scent rather boring and uninteresting.

sweetmagnolia
sweetmagnolia

Beautiful is definately beautiful, on someone else. A coworker of mine used to wear this and I loved it on her so much, that I went out and bought the whole line, fragrance, body cream, and shower gel. Unfortunatly for me, the first time I wore it, I could'nt wait to get home and shower. Something in this is very cloying and headache inducing for me.However, I still love it on other people.I guess I can only enjoy this sweet, potent, and "beautiful" scent in small, fleeting doses.

sungoddess
sungoddess

I will be honest. This one gave me a headache every time i smelled it. It is definitely a loud, overpowering floral fragrance. Its not for everyone.

myrayolite
myrayolite

I have a friend that wears this and WOW it smells just awesome on her. I bought some for myself for the days I will be outside, running around more. It melds beautifully with my chemistry as well. I adore floral fragrances.

Sapphins
Sapphins

Not for young grils, smells a little bitter. You can wear it for a special party, but not for a romantic date.

Convict13
Convict13

I used to wear this a lot in my 20's and I just stopped buying it, not too sure why now. But I have sweet memories of it and whenever I go to the perfume counter I do often go up and have a spray. So ultra feminine, so fresh and sweet.

JustinV
JustinV

Hi girls, I know I am a guy, but here's my take for this scent. My mom has it...XD

On my skin (yes I spray it on me for the test):
Top : Sweet, floral, jasmine-ylang2 like scent, with small hints of dried woods (the dried woods smell like it is fermented, or soaked with raisin and prunes, hahaha! seriously! it smells like that on my skin and to my nose, but you really have to dig in to scent it), and yes! there is vetiver, and a touch of muted tobacco in it.

Oh btw, the intial spray, this fragrance did not dry on my skin until like... 30 minutes. MADNESS! the oils still linger around, man this thing has an age to it! hahahaha!

Middle: the opposite from the top, the vetiver, fermented woods goes on top, and the floral tones down by 20 percent.

Base: To tell you the truth, It wasnt long for the middle note that I just wash it away, I could not handle it.

Beast projection, In-your-face floral.

Smells dated to me

Quite powerful, but gentle at the same time (provided if you are easy on the trigger)

100% feminine scent. HAHAHAHA!

Elderly women, grandma's can pull this of.

Young ladies can pull this off to if you are...working at the Estee Lauder counter, hahahaha (meant to be a joke, no offense)

But anyways, for some reason, to me this fragrance is for the elderly crowd. Going for a dinner, going for shopping.

Not many will like this scent. Please try this, don't blind buy this.

One in between your cleavage, one on each pulse point and a quick dap on your pulse point neck. (or one on cleavage, one on the back of your hair if your hair is long), Seriously, to me, if i can avoid the neck, I suggest so, but if you can handle the scent, the neck is fine for you, but remember, one shoot is enough.

Too much, and it will get cloying, be easy on the trigger (I only shoot one on my right arm and it is starting to get cloying to me).

100% night outs, COLD night outs. This is disgusting under the heat.

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 3 (The funky version of Chanel No.5, ala comparison with Fahrenheit & Narisco Rodriguez for him).

Sillage: 5 (THIS WILL PROJECT! Be careful on the trigger).

Time length: 5 (I don't know, I did not do a full test, I can't stand it, but I believe it is long enough, maybe very long).

Occasion: 2 (Function, elderly people).

Overall base on mathematics: 3.75/5

Personally not my favourite, there are other better ones in this modern times. =)

AquariaTX
AquariaTX

When I smell these new-fangled modern perfumes, all I can smell is chemicals, textiles and either Kool-Aid, a compost heap or unflushed toilets. None of them have the pizazz of Poison, the timelessness of Chanel #5, the exotic sensuousness of Shalimar, or the utter femininity of Beautiful.

This scent is indeed beautiful. Not a week of wearing it goes by that I don't have people complimenting me on it and asking what it is. That's been happening since the late 80s/early 90s (my late 20s), when I first wore this. Men love it. Most of the people who compliment me on it are men, and that was definitely the point of wearing it when I was single. I have had men ask me out, simply because they love my perfume. I'm married to one of them now. I still get asked out, and I'm pushing 50. Men love this perfume that much. It drives them wild. At least when I wear it, it does.

No one has called it old lady on me. Not a single person. Those who "think" they hate it are always surprised when they learn what I'm wearing.

What a pity for any who can't appreciate this one, or who smell awful in it. It's been my secret weapon for years!

twillocks
twillocks

Way too much going on in this. It is very stong on me.

UPDATE: Well after years I chanced it and smelled it. I like it now. Funny how you change over the years.

melbritt24
melbritt24

This is my mother's signature fragrance and I think it mixes very well with her skin chemistry. It seems to have great staying power. Very floral yet not overpowering, with a soft and sensual, musk/powdery dry down.

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

Love this one.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is one of those scents I would never have looked at when I was younger because it wasn't 'edgy' enough and the wedding connotations put me off. Well, all I can say is I wish I'd chosen this as my wedding day perfume rather than 'Bluebell'(which I ended up hating!). It is balanced, classic, romantic and perfectly judged in every way. It's a little 'safe' perhaps but definately a joy to sniff, either on oneself or someone else - Beautiful!

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

It seems like Kenzo "Ça sent beau". Good.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I was given a bottle of this for Christmas - I wish people wouldn't give me perfume because I'm so picky! This was indeed a "Beautiful" perfume, strong floral, but absolutely not for me. I have never smelled an Estee Lauder perfume that I have liked, they all seem "overdone" and way too strong. However I agree with the reviews that if you're into big, no, HUGE, florals, this is right for you.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Beautiful has a very important place in my heart. It was the first 80's fragrance that I smelled. And for many years I thought nothing could match this lovely gem.

I'm such a huge lover of heady floral bouquets, and I really like this fragrance. It is strong, very strong, and needs to be handled with care! Oustanding sillage and lasting-power. This perfume certainly isn't for everyone.

ReinaT
ReinaT

My mother loved Joy and Beautiful, they were her two signature fragrances. I quite enjoy the smell of Beautiful - on other people. I have tried countless times to try to wear it, but it just wont work on me. I finally gave my expensive EDP to my sister, and she love its. Beautiful is a wonderful floral bouquet, it is always advertised as a perfume for that special wedding day! Not ever woman can carry it off, as it is sophisticated and I think it is strong on the roses side. I love it but since the perfume doesn't work on me, I find that I can use the lotion and that smells fabulous! So, if you can't wear the perfume, but you like the smell, try using the lotion. That worked for me so occasionally I get to enjoy it that way. I've given up on the perfume, but fortunately I still have 1/4 of the lotion.

I always disliked this fragrance when I was younger. The other night I was out for dinner and while waiting at the bar for a table, smelled the most wonderful scent in the air. I looked to my right and saw an older "mom" type lady (dressed well, hair done) talking to another lady and three men (no less!). I decided not to ask her what she was wearing as I did not want to seem rude, but that scent haunted me...until I was at the salad bar and smelled it again. I looked up and there she was smiling! I asked her politely what fragrance she had on. She replied Beautiful by Estee Lauder! I told her it was, on her...

My aunt used to wear this (maybe too much), but it never smelled this wonderful on her. A tart fresh bitter green opening with a fruity drizzle leads to an explosion of wonderful and varied flowers everywhere, spring AND summer in a bottle. I could swear I smelled rose...and it is the only flower not listed! (LOL) If you could spin fresh flowers into thread and weave a cloak of them, this is just how you would smell while wearing it! Not one particular flower, but the best of all of them, and none of the "flower shoppe" scent so common in most mass market florals. This is dancing barefoot in a flower strewn field with sun on your face and the warm earth beneath you. The drydown is woody musky and has just enough vanilla to be enchanting but not overpowering. This is (as its name states) in fact very BEAUTIFUL...

Sillage: great
Longevity: very good
Overall: 3.5/5

Though I do not think I would ever actually wear this, I am quite enamored of it and love to smell it on others. EL: Have you changed, or just me? Yeah, it's just me...you have been around longer than me. It just took me a while to see what was under my nose the whole time-typical MAN!!

Shima Rinoa
Shima Rinoa

The scent is nice especially the notes of jasmine & ylang ylang. But I adore Intuition more. This fragrance more to floral- paper like scent. My mom likes this and she was able to finish up 1 small bottle in few months.

Although I have never tried this on my skin, I have sniffed the magazine inserts many times. Always the same.....uh uh. Looking at the notes, I am not sure just what is putting me off (there are so many notes in this fragrance; maybe the black current. Does anyone know if the fragrances in paper samples are just the top notes?

holly13

This is simply Bitter. A little goes a long way. I don't like it.

romrom
romrom

I love it , it's very clean and sexy but only spay a little bit

deannab10
deannab10

Wore this on my wedding day in 1995. So soft, sexy and beautiful. I was in love with it. I have not bought any since that time. Not sure if it has changed or maybe I did. It just doesn't seem to smell the same on me now as it did then...maybe I will give it another try one day.

naheed
naheed

It's beautiful just like its name. It's a beautiful floral with a hint of fruits in the sparkle. This is something which describes a woman who is sophisticated, cheerful and is young but mature.

I was given it as a present on my 18th birthday by mum's best friend and when I started wearing it, soon it became my signature fragrance back then. My friend loved it on me and she always complemented me. In my opinion, it's a classic fragrance by Estee Lauder and the credit goes to Sophia Grojsman for its creation.

After about 14 years or so, when I think of this fragrance now, I can say that it should be in the list of top 10 bridal fragrances as well. Just as a bride has to look so especial that day from her bridal gown to shoes from jewellery to hairdo and all and what makes her more special is the fragrance and Beautiful can be that special fragrance for that big day.

A fragrance can never be old or young it's the chemistry of our own body that makes it old, young, good or bad.

arg1971
arg1971

A fragrance that is truly beautiful well represents its name.Even though this perfume has bee around for some time I think it smells divine. I get tired of people referring to a perfume as this smells like something a old lady would wear. Im 39 years old and I would wear this perfume. I wore it in my 20s and it smelled beautiful on me and did not have any repulsive comments. As a matter of fact many use to love this scent on me especially male friends. Truly it does depend on your body chemistry everybody may not be able topull this one off.

iHeartMoschino05
iHeartMoschino05

It smells sort of like an old-lady fragrance.A bit too strong for me.My mom used to have this.I still like it though.

Chanelette
Chanelette

I think individual body chemistry plays a very important role when it comes to this perfume. I agree that on some people this fragrance smells like stinking faded flowers somebody forgot to take out from the vase and throw out with the trash. Surprisingly, this scent can also smell heavenly on the right skin. I'm one of those lucky girls and I love the smell that develops on my skin 20 mins after applying the fragrance - the orange blossom and jasmine gets prominent on me, I can detect lily and a touch of woods. It's very elegant, not girly but not an "old lady" scent either. The sillage is excellent, a little goes a long way. A big YES for me:-)

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

Beautiful is like most perfumes from the the 1980s and 1990s, it's not a light fizzwater. It's a real classic perfume. It's a lovely floral that needs only a light misting to last all day because it's potent. One bottle will last you a long time because you just need a little. I don't see any reason that someone under 50 could not wear it !

andrevarx
andrevarx

EDP has a classic scent, a little mature, I think is one of the few fragrances that I have seen women so far that I can swear are not suitable for anyone under 50 years. Very classic and a touch sweet.

elusivek
elusivek

I wore this in the 80's when I was in my "powder" stage. I wore it up until people started commenting that I smelled like an old lady (more than one!!). I had been away from it for quite a few years & decided to try it again. I still love the light/white florals that stand out, they are truly beautiful but the powder element puts me off to it and I can no longer wear it.

littlerayray77
littlerayray77

I used to like it back in 8th grade. It smelt so good on a friend. Now its sickly sweet and I wouldn't dare spray it on me. It sits in the back of my collection. Oh well.

greenfaerie38
greenfaerie38

After much insistence from my mother, I gave this a try. It's a decent fragrance, but it seemed a bit dull. When I wear a floral scent, I want to be able to distinguish at least one particular flower, but this seemed like a couple of random bouquets got thrown together. However, it is a light and perfectly pleasant fragrance.

guest_Nat
guest_Nat

Just have to say that I really think they've changed the ingredients in Beautiful. It was my first fragrance and I loved it for years but now it smells like a hollow version of the fragrance I remember. It seems to have lost some of its richness and muskiness. I still wear it but I'm sure it's different to what it was in the 1980s.

Taliera

Can't get my head around how this could be a "beautiful" scent. It seems very old-fashioned (trying to resist giving the *-lady tag...). Sigh. Will keep sniffing - in case my nostrils start to mature.

chaos2
chaos2

I LOVED this in the '90's. I wore it esp to lift me out of the winter-after-new-years-now-the-weather-is-really-depressing blahs. I was a smoker then. Now that I am not smoking I think my body chemistry has changed. It def does not smell the same. Too bad.

Rachel4576
Rachel4576

It's a strong floral that is so lovely on the right person....on the wrong woman it just smells like perfume-y covering up stinky. :D

Casi
Casi

Estee Lauder's Beautiful takes me back to my early childhood and evokes fond memories of watching my gorgeous, stylish Mother dressing for work each morning. Mom had the entire line, as I recall. I remember the richly-scented body lotion and the gentle body powder with the large "poofy" for application. Beautiful is one of those scents that I could recognize in an instant, nearly 25 years after my Mother wore it with such ease and elegance. Thinking back, I can clearly smell an opening of lemons and something green. Beautiful quickly moves to it's lush floral heart, where it remains for most of it's duration. Notes of Freesia, Jasmine and Lilac stand out in what is otherwise a walk through an impressive floral shop! There is a clear note of Cedar, from start to finish, with just a hint of Musk in the dry down. There is nothing warm or cozy about this fragrance. It is very bright, feminine and powdery. This scent would never wear well on me, but I do consider it a classic, pretty floral that on the right woman, (in my case, my Mother), is truly BEAUTIFUL.

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

I wore this in the 90's and loved it. It never went south on me like Giorgio's Red, which I also wore a lot in the 90's. (Red would take on an icky sour note, like old perfume when it wasn't even old.) I always got compliments when I wore Beautiful. My husband liked it a lot. I'll be giving it a try again, although I think it's pretty recognizable now and may even seem old-lady-ish. I am in my 40's... okay upper 40's. That's NOT old.

kbrown7070
kbrown7070

I think Beautiful is a lovely scent and I get compliments on it when I wear it. The amber note can get a touch sharp, but I pair it with the Beautiful lotion (which is absolutely divine) and it melds into a warm, strong, very feminine and multilayered floral. A classic.

Miss.M
Miss.M

A few years ago I tried this and hated it but now I love it and this will be in my collection for a long time. Be warned though, just a couple of sprays is all that you need, as this can be quite overpowering. I wear this to work and get compliments on it. I don't think the younger ladies will be a fan of this. Great lasting power, I can still smell it on my clothes the next morning ;o)

817flowers
817flowers

I purchased Beautiful (got a deal at TJ Maxx) - I returned it the next day. I had forgotten that no matter the price - it's just awful on me and I just can't force myself to like it. It's a scent you can detect quickly if someone passes buy wearing it and is usually not pleasant.

My perspective on Estee Lauder BEAUTIFUL has always been summed up by a slogan: "BEAUTIFUL is not beautiful," which for years served as a mnemonic device that steered me clear of this fragrance at every turn. Until this morning, I never used the purse spray in my collection, and now I remember why.

It's not that BEAUTIFUL is another big bodacious venus flytrap floral typical of this era. It's not that BEAUTIFUL smells "old" or outdated to me. It's not that I have any objection, in principle, to wearing a bouquet comprising every flower on the planet.

No, the reason why BEAUTIFUL is not beautiful to me is only because it includes a synthetic note which to me is the olfactory equivalent of the sight of canned spinach. It just makes me sick. The same note is present in both PLEASURES and INTUITION. In PLEASURES, it is so light that I can tolerate the scent to some extent. In INTUITION, the same note is so strong that it sent me screaming back to the EL counter for an exchange, as the very thought of ever wearing that fragrance again filled me with nausea and, yes, dread.

I am relieved that most perfumes do not contain this mystery note. I had thought that it was only in some of the Estee Lauder creations, but I recently discovered it in both FERRAGAMO and BELLE DE NUIT.

The good news is that understanding the effect that this note has on me helps me to understand people who recoil at the whiff of their own idiosyncratic bête noire. It also serves to explain the strong, polarized reactions that people often have to perfumes with a powerful identity.

So, if you can take this note, you may love BEAUTIFUL. And that's just fine with me!

nyoka
nyoka

Dont understand negative coments.Evenpeople who say it doesnt smell good on them,do smell great to me.Maybe they are olfactory challenged.I caertainly could not be a nose but,i know what smells good.Once a man caught up with me when i was running just to say he wanted to be closer so he could smell me more.

Sugar419
Sugar419

I found this perfume when I was a senior in high school (1995) and wore it that whole year, it was my signature scent. After that I didn't wear it again until my wedding day. Although I'm moving away from the florals I used to prefer, I will always love this for nostalgic reasons, and besides I think it smells wonderful! Unabashedly floral though, if you don't like florals, you will not like this perfume. Classy and classic.

Sissi
Sissi

The ultimate wedding fragrance. The unification of Man and Woman the notes unifies each others for example
the Woman; Black current Fruity notes
cassia Galbanum Bergamount lemon
mimose magnolia Carnation Tuberose Orange blossom chomormile narcissus
Fresia Lilac jasmine pink violet sage
Neroli marigold Ylang Ylang Lily of the vally Geranium & Narcissus
The Man; Sandalwood Musk Vanilla
Vetiver & Ceder it blends wonderfully
together Like the wedding vows
i give it a 5

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

As much as I wanted to love this, I can't. I loved smelling the bouquet of flowers, and it smelled good on my skin and hair, but alas, it didn't last. After about half an hour I got a distinctive smell of soap. On my skin first, and then, ruining my hopes that I can still wear it, on my hair in about 10 more minutes. All evening I was haunted by soap smell. I know that some perfumes are described as "soapy" and still are well loved, Chanel №5 is a prime example, but quite frankly, this was my first experience of a perfume turning into soap on me, and I truly disliked it.

The staying power is amazing, it stayed overnight. I am sure that soap is just my chemistry, since it's not even listed as floral aldehyde (although lote's review suggests that I'm not alone).

I would love to smell a wrist of a woman for whom this smell shows all its flowers and none of the soapiness, this must be a glorious experience! I am sorry this woman is not me...

Upd.: did smell it on my friend, it was gorgeous on her! Nice soft floral.

krishka
krishka

It is BEAUTIFUL indeed.....complex, very well balanced, exquisite, light, enchanting perfume.
It is SO suitable for weddings!
the add is just right abt the scent.

Jinalda
Jinalda

First of all, I have to say, my tongue is sharp sometimes. But I'm always trying to stay as sincere as it's possible.

That was a very boring experience of testing for me. I was expecting a lot from this one.

When I spayed it I thought “what is it?”. Then I tried to detect some notes, then I thought that I was just loosing my time on it. This scent had no effect on me neither from the first sniff nor from the last one. It’s simply not interesting at all. There was no any interesting edge in it, and it doesn’t create any interesting combination, like, for instance SpellBound does. And finally, you forget it at once – as if it doesn’t deserve to be remembered, ‘cause it is not something unique.

“The fragrance of a thousand flowers” – a nice phraise, especially when it’s true and you get a bouquet. But here you get a mess. What is the point of putting together more than 29 components while not paying any respect to not one of them? It’s like to let a kid make a soup – he will through all the spices and vegetables in the pot without any idea of their value.

But I do understand that a lot of women like this scent, because their mothers used it – but it’s only about the “mythology” that was created for this perfume. A unique psychological environment that makes them love this perfume without judging it fair by it’s real values. They just like it because “mom used it”. And there is nothing can be done here. Good for Estee Lauder – they managed to make a good campaign and convinced a lot of women to buy and use this scent. I’m only afraid that women who now use vulgar, gimcrack and inelegant Be Delicious will make their daughters like it years later. Well, that’s how the taste is forming – since the very childhood.

milena
milena

Simply beautiful.Very pretty and feminine.On my skin soft floral.

RouenFr
RouenFr

I smell lotus in this, it isn't marked on here as a scent in this perfume but I swear it is there. It is a very pronounced scent in this perfume. The only I know what lotus smells like is because I bought a small bottle of lotus oil while in Egypt.

Many people talk about how this scent smells "old lady" like. I wont lie it can come off that way but it is all about how you wear it. This isn't a light, fruity, sweet scent that has become common these days. This perfume makes a statment and that might not be right for everyone. When I wear this scent I feel powerful and in charge.

holly13

I don't like this smell at all. It smells weird to me... it has a bitter smell. They advertise it as the fragrance of a thousand flowers.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Flowers are the epitome of a woman and I'd rather smell like a garden than gummy bears, fresh mown rabbit food, salty ocean seaweed sprinkled with paprika or razorblades anyday. And since when is 20 years ago ancient history? Please get over the "old" references...good is good and awful is awful, no matter when it was made.
This one is a near perfect floral with a strong presence and I love it.

alef
alef

I used to wear for years... It is a part of wardrobe like a little black dress. Several times men asked me the name to buy it for their girlfriends :))

kylexora
kylexora

This is very elegant, sophisticated and almost luxury smells. the ingredient is very complicated and not every women can wear it. at first sniff, i hate it. and it was 10 years ago. now, i know why this perfume is more expensive compared to other Estee Lauder fragrance. i bought a parfum version and i use it for special occassion where i need to be truely feminine, subtle and elegant. and it last about 12hours...

guest_angel
guest_angel

A very classic, warm, elegant floral indeed, but rather heady and overpowering on me. One for special occasions only! Lasts forever.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

How can people be so critical of the mass of fruity floral and floral fruity fragrances of today, when all you have to do to appreciate them is smell the straightforward floral fragrances of the '80s? Yuck!!!!

Fragrances like this have a screaming, acrid sharp quality that is neither beautiful nor otherwise attractive...

Sedate, lovely floral perfume that is perfect for office or day wear. It is not a statement maker, but that's not a bad thing, either. Pretty and feminine, heavy on the floral without being smothering. It's actually quite sheer after the first few minutes. Very nice, which surprised me, as Estee Lauder scents don't usually work at all on my skin.

yayank
yayank

this is my mum fave fragrance since was launched till now and she never change to other fragrance
i really like the scent on her
but not on me ;-(

veg.princess
veg.princess

smells clasic. great staying power. some people thought i smelt like an old lady but i still like it. i use mine on special occasions

EvelynDFrech
EvelynDFrech

I like it somehow. It feels classic and fresh to me, but too floral. I had it and didn't really find the moments to use it. I keep liking Beautiful but I'm sure it's better on others.

falovalo
falovalo

If this garners me complements, I'd rather do without. Sharp, matronly and acrid, that's what this is, classic or not.

Vivi
Vivi

I have a couple friends that just love this. I'm just not sure yet. I kind of like it, but definitely not my signature fragrance.

This is possibly one of Estee Lauder's best fragrances. I can see why this is such a popular choice for a bride on her wedding day, and unlike most Estee Lauder fragrances, the synthetic notes in this are not as strong.

Mature? Yes, it most definitely requires some maturity, sophistication and class to pull this one off. Old lady scent? Certainly not. Although this may smell like your typical 80's floral, there is something about it that never fails in gaining attention and compliments, especially from men.

This is a soft and romantic fragrance with fantastic lasting strength. One spray goes a very long way in regards to wearing this.

newgabe
newgabe

Aaah! Marigold.. thats's what that strange dry intro note is! Love that note, nothing else like it. I kepp dicking in to our local (expensive) dept store to 'test' this for that wonderfully odd beginning. I wish it stayed like that longer- I lose interest once the sweety flowers kick in. That is one of the great drawbacks with the 'changing journey' of perfumes.. and why I still often prefer Arab perfumes, or blending essential oils- to be able to enjoy a lovely fragrance with stability.

kayka
kayka

if you want to smell expensive, use this one :) it is very elegant!

moonflower143
moonflower143

This is one of the perfumes i love, its long lasting and classic,though it might not be for everyone specially for younger ones, but it can also be for ladies who wants to be a real woman..

lote
lote

It was "beautiful" on me in 1986. Alas, how times have changed.
In the current versions I have been an olfactory witness to the Orange flower and mandarin's notes declined through the years leading to a sharp "soapy" after scent.
On some people this big flower scent when applied with the precision of a surgeon can smell quite stunning.

Philyra
Philyra

I'll never understand what the big fuss is with this one. For me it was hate at first spray. Far too many notes blended in, resulting in a suffocating and overpowering smell I was just dying to wash off my skin. A clever marketing campaign has apparently had many a bride wearing it on their way to the isle for quite some time now. For me, the mere idea of wearing this on my wedding day is just unthinkable. It really goes against everything I believe a perfume should do for a woman.

Savanimal
Savanimal

My mother is in her mid-30's, and she wears this fragrance often. It's quite strong when you first put it on, but it fades after a few minutes. I don't like the scent on me, but I really like it on her.

Taliera

I get Beautiful Love, but I don't understand where Beautiful is coming from... It smelt on my skin more or less like it smells on the cards - quite heavy and old-lady like. It is floral, but nothing akin to the modern florals with their fruity and sweet accords. Although it was created in 1985, the fragrance smells as if it could have been made decades earlier. This is an old-fashioned floral. In fact, there are so many floral scents at once (it's meant to be a bouquet of flowers) that it all condenses into one big pongy mess, which begins to smell like a "classic" pongy mess after all the contrasting features settle down. Not for the youth market... It's also really hard to get off your skin!

hannah18
hannah18

I have always received compliments on wearing this perfume. Its warm, elegant and feminine. Because it is classic, it will never get old fashioned.

hydrangea
hydrangea

Very sexy & feminine, for my mom.But i Like it.

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

A great fragrance & lasts long. Perfect for special occasions.

MondeoGirl
MondeoGirl

Truly divine. The best smell in the whole world. Rich, decadent and so utterly feminine. Lasts all day long. I save mine for best.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

For some reason, Beautiful will smell fabulous on me some days and awful on me the next. When she's behaving, I love it.

Chaosnmotion
Chaosnmotion

Very classic fragrance. I wear during the day, seems to last all day and doesn't overpower.

2007

Beautiful by Estée Lauder 3.35 out of 5 based on 1154 ratings and 240 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Beautiful fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Beautiful, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Beautiful by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Beautiful by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.