Designers » D E » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Cinnabar Estée Lauder for women
dislike

I have it: 428 I had it: 400 I want it: 339 My signature: 10

cinnamon

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Cinnabar was launched in 1978. Top notes are spices, peach, cloves, bergamot, tangerine and orange blossom; middle notes are carnation, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, lily-of-the-valley and lily; base notes are tolu balsam, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla, vetiver and incense.

Spices Peach Cloves Bergamot Tangerine Orange Blossom

Opium Secret de Parfum
Opium

Cinnabar Fragrance Reviews

Mistressvoodoodolly

Now it's smelling more like Opium to me. The best of both worlds. Can someone tell me how the vintage Youth Dew compares? Thanks.

Mistressvoodoodolly

I remember this little bottle with a rounded red top and dark mysterious fluid on my mom's dresser. I thought it was really strong yet mesmerizing and knew it was for older women. In my teens I got into Coco, my hands down favorite. Today I got a .5 oz bottle of vintage Cinnabar parfum and hope to God it hasn't turned. Vintage Opium is another I can't live without. I don't know if I even want to smell the new Cinnabar and ruin my childhood memories.

Ok, I've done a little test and to me it's very similar to Coco. Cinnabar is more earthy and Coco is a bit sweeter and more sophisticated/well-rounded, but I still love Cinnabar. These are true pioneers, of course along with Opium.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

This is a reveiw for the vintage cinnabar EDT splash. This was in the family of the powerhouse fragrances I grew up with. As a child I recall this scent. I have not smelled it in over 30 years. Not even the reformulation. So I was lucky enough to obtain a vintage bottle. Wow exactly as I remember it to smell. Heavy, spicy, warm and intense. This is for the grown up woman - it's a legend in it's own time. I am pleased to have this in my collection. This is heavy and best for cool weather. Apply with a light hand a little goes a long way.

Example: I put a dab on my wrist and found it strong for the hot day. Washed it off with dawn dish soap and hot water twice. I still could smell it in the waiting room at the doctors even after washing off. This my friends is what I miss about the vintage perfumes.

Dinkum
Dinkum

Dry, warm, cinnamony. Very long lasting. Gorgeous :)

antihero
antihero

Yes, finally a true cinnamon scent.
Cinnabar knocks the heck out of me, and I love it for that. I have been repeatedly disappointed by fragrances that claimed to have a great deal of cinnamon, while I could barely smell it.
Cinnabar does not tiptoe around, no, it comes out swinging.
A blast of wonderful cinnamon and spices, for me it is heaven. Later, incense makes its entrance, it is a more gentle incense than most I have smelled; not tremendously smoky. Cloves and carnation also appear.
I don't get other flowers, but that is fine.
If you are looking for a cinnamon fix, this will more than exceed your expections. A Love. Wonderful and sultry indeed.

Longevity: After I shower I can still smell it.

Edited

LunaTaylor
LunaTaylor

Im assuming that what I smelled is the recent formula. Anyway smelling it from the bottle was nice enough but the initial spray was shocking. I have noticed a few perfumes and this is the biggest one, have a powdery or balsamic aspect which comes across as dirt to my nose. Like when youre digging in a garden in old musty dirt. There are of course spices which might be interesting if I could get past that weird earthy musty smell. Very strong and projecting to say the least!

bonnie52
bonnie52

I had high hopes for Cinnabar. I wanted the fruity, floral, spicy potion I had imagined from looking at the notes. It's just an okay scent for me. All spice, no fruit or floral. I expected more from Estee Lauder.

Ditta70
Ditta70

This is a review of the recent formulation.

Cinnabar starts as a typical late 70'a early '80s spicy oriental, in the manner of Opium and many more to follow (Chanel's Coco and Krizia's Teatro alla Scala being the closest relatives). But whileas Opium, Coco and Teatro keep this general direction all through their long and lovely lives, Cinnabar, after about an hour and a half takes a funny turn into a completely different area, and starts to smell almost as a rather discordant oriental chypre with some rather harsh and disturbing notes. I love the beginning, I hate the end.

Abbas
Abbas

I was serching for long lasting perfume for my mother at fragrence store,there i found Cinnabar a real long lasting fragrence that srround all over.
A heavy spicy impact at first spray but as time passes it become more sobar and unique, quite noticable other people most ask what are you wearing?
for sensitive nose, this is much heavy in wearing, good for winters and cold evenings, not for hummid summers

senfully
senfully

If someone isn't aware of the idea of seasons for perfumes, give this one a try. I can only wear it when snow is on the ground, which means I don't get to wear it very often in the southern United States. This perfume is spice with amazing longevity and silage. For me, it is the smell of Christmas Eve services at church. One bottle should last me all my life at the rate I'm going!

krmarich
krmarich

OK, so I was given this original .50 Fragrance Spray from the 1970s. On the side of the box reads "In The Tradition Of Youth Dew By Estee Lauder". I assume this was an original release. I love the double happiness motif on the box.

I had to give a few squirts and it finally erupted to a dark amber splash on my skin. I am no stranger to these spicy orientals-I have Opium, KL and Jaipur PH. This is/was in the race to see who was loudest and biggest of spice epics. Tabu and Youth Dew came out decades ago and were the real masters of the class. I have to focus on Cinnabar for this review. They all have a rare and special place in the sun.

Its a hot summer night and this reminds me of those holiday candles that have too much cinnamyl in them. Its a little heavy and focuses on cinnamon. Its as lavish as its cousins and takes no prisoners. The Chinese fantasy aside, this is a powerhouse in every way! I suppose in its day, this was expected. Somehow I expect furs and diamonds on cold October nights on the town.

I get very few flowers in this trick or treat bag. Perhaps a little jasmine and neroli at times, when they do show, it nears perfection. Otherwise, the notes are mindboggling! The best part is its smokey, dense, warm drydown. Its like a big quilt on a frosty night.

Overall Cinnabar is from a bygone era when perfume was made for adults and this was as close to a gourmand as it got. I will return to this epic spicecake in autumn. However, the heat does reveal a different side of the spices that my nose likes to play with. I am honored to have finally had the chance to indulge in such luxury.

aber19
aber19

BEWARE REFORMULATED AND TERRIBLE PRODUCT

I went to David Jones, and tried this fragrance. I remembered this fragrance smelled lovely. I mentioned to the young sales person that it had changed. She stated it has always smelled like this. Well, it has not! It is a weak perfume, which reflects poor quality and only a shadow of its former glory. While it has cinnamon, just add youth dew to it. It smells absolutely terrible when you first spray it on your skin. It is like there is a bitter scent in a sweet fragrance. I think it is the oak moss. Well done EL you have destroyed this great fragrance I am not sure if L'Oreal has taken over this company. But, I will let everyone know to first try ALL of EL's products, because they are trying to destroy the brilliance of yesterdays quality fragrances. This is bad business practice. But, I will not be duped in paying a high price for a less superior product.

0lga5
0lga5

I smelled this recently on a woman in a public restroom and couldn't help but ask what it was, so delightful and not sweet and spicy like most of parfumes are nowdays. It is not like most of the parfumes are at all! Very settle, classy, comfort. This one smelled green and woody, I guess I see the resemblance to opium. I have to have this!

Krupp
Krupp

Cinnabar is pure nostalgia, just look at the bottle! Smells rather spicy, and that is not bad at all. On the other hand, many other perfumes smells spicy too, so in my nose, there is nothing special about this perfume at all, and the World would be precisely the same without the existence of this fragrance.

Musky4
Musky4

Very, very strong. I get mainly cloves, much more-so than cinnamon. Reminds me of YSL Opium. Too heavy and spicy for me.

chowchow41
chowchow41

When is was younger i Always liked the smell from the botlle but never was able to wear it, but always wanted to own it someday. Now that i am in my fourties i can wear it and love to wear it. Its fresh, spicy and delightfull. And you get longivety and sillage. I get bergamot and geranium in the opening and then the spices, cloves and tolubalsem begin to warm up, yet it stays fresh. Its not could wright now but yet its a great temperature to wear it at 13 degrees. I sprayed and walked through the mist thats the best way to wear this otherwise the perfume will wear you. I recommend it if you like spicy, oriental perfumes.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Today I decided it's time to test this one! Cinnabar! I hesitated before, I knew it was strong... Old school perfumery!

I sprayed lightly on my skin; Yeah, I am a guy but I hate paper testing! It doesn't tell a thing; a small drop was out! So small that I thought I wouldn't smell a thing. But, when I sniffed, it was like a punch in my face! Boy, it was strong.

This smells exactly like a hot stew full of spices and cinnamon but what prevent it from being too overpowering was that warm touch that the flowers add! I won't act like I know stuff about perfume and that my nose knows what carnation smells like but when smell this I know it's just not spices and resins... I can feel the flowers but faintly, just enough to balance that burning feeling that the cinnamon has or that cloying feeling when the spices becomes too much!

Very well blended, although not very complex... Sure it has load of notes but it's simple... Opens up spicy and dries down spicy in a very warm way. Easily one of the best female cinnamon based perfume! Cinnabar lasts and projects like time never goes by and it surely never flew by this timeless gem!

moniote
moniote

Perfect on a male skin !!

pinupgirl1948
pinupgirl1948

I used to love this perfume!!It was my signature scent!Now they have changed the fragrance and it smells too masculine! I wish they would change it back to it's original scent.I miss the old Cinnabar! :(

jenscot
jenscot

I was twenty something years old, wearing silk blouses and fine wool trousers. Dressing more sophisticated that my age. I worked for an oil company with lots of men. All of them commented on this fragrance. It is sexy!!!!! I was in my peer group socializing on a regular Saturday evening. When a gorgeous long time old friend mentioned, "you need to be careful with that look and that perfume, guys will follow you anywhere." Married going on 28 years to that same guy. I still wear Cinnabar for special occasions. Love that spicy, woodsy scent.

Punzie
Punzie

This was my first 'proper' perfume, bought for me by my landlady when I was in Uni back in 1984. She bought it for my birthday, as I kept borrowing hers! It brings back a lot of memories as soon as I smell it. Still one of my favorites. Reminds me of church incense, spices, Morroccan bazaars, and a hint of jasmine. Not for the faint hearted, and needs to be used sparingly. A true classic.

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

I tried it on out of my Mothers collection when I was in my early 20's, and thought it boring and old lady-ish when smelling it in the bottle. I spritzed some on anyways, and as it dried down it was GORGEOUS. Creamy cinnamon, spice, and floral, deep yet clean, sophisticated and expensive smelling. At the time I felt that it did not suit my personality, like it was beyond my years, but I will definitely give it a go next time I purchase perfume. More for mature women 30's and up than 20 somethings. It would be perfect for me now.

Love this so much!

Cinnabar is warm, spicy, woody, mossy, with lots of incense and cinnamon. There is even a touch of soapiness in the middle phase. People have mentioned that Cinnabar has changed due to reformulation, but I think the current version is quite good. I have both the current version and a vintage from the late 80's, possibly early 90's. The biggest difference to me is in the opening notes. The vintage opens up much more spicy, warm and resinous, whereas the current one proceeds much more quickly to the middle notes of incense and woods. The vintage opens with fire, the current with warmth. The middle and base notes seem very similar to me for both versions. Similar to Opium and Youth Dew, this is a fantastic warm spicy scent to warm you up in cold weather.

saritarose
saritarose

This is a seriously sexy perfume. Heavy, but not in a sickeningly sweet way.

RobbieX

To add.....Simply a masterpiece!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

It's funny how a fragrance can remind you of something you only experienced once, and a long time ago. Spraying Cinnabar on my wrist today, I was immediately reminded of Youth Dew, which I've only tried once, too many years ago for an in-depth comment. Indeed, Cinnabar was originally a sort of cross between Opium and Youth Dew, and years ago was even released with the words, "Cinnabar, Soft Youth-Dew Fragrance" on earlier boxes. I'm hit with a lovely burst of cinnamon, bergamot, and incense in the top notes, and then the incense, cool and balsamic, manages to dominate the heart and drydown, surrounded with warm notes of sweet jasmine, orange blossom, clean clove (quite strong), benzoin, patchouli, vetiver, amber, and musk. The current Cinnabar smells very direct, very complex, and full of balsam richness and spice. Great stuff, very "red" smelling like its name implies, and perfectly unisex.

I did a dab sampling and after several minutes I said to myself, "it seems like someone around me is wearing Pino Silvestre." Then I realized it was the Cinnabar! No they are not identical, of course, but they both dry down to a dry/powdery wood and amber with spice notes and some florals. Cinnabar has an animalic element whereas PS goes more green/herbal, but my point is that I don't regard this as a Opium clone, nor is it as "feminine" as Opium, being at least close to "unisex." The animalic quality here is different from most others, and I'm guessing that is what is considered "incense." It has a more of a "BO" quality, at least to the way I perceive things, so sample first if that may be a problem for you. Because I find it unique and look forward to getting used to it, which often results in discovering facets that I did not detect during the first or second wearings, I'm glad I obtained some. Note that I believe I have a vintage formulation.

UPDATE: From what I can tell I have the vintage formulation. I find that I am liking this one more and more, and to me it is what niche doesn't seem capable of doing!

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

This review is for the current formulation of Cinnabar by Estee Lauder, which is an important variable in a review for perfumes. Many times there can be a huge difference between a vintage and the present rendition of a fragrance. Without ranting and raving about the how's and why's of the perfume industry changing a scent, I'll describe my experience with the current rendition of Cinnabar, a perfume that I used to love.
I sprayed this on, expecting the wonderful spices and warmth to deliver its punch. I couldn't be more disappointed. What a synthetic, crass, harsh and linear opening I experienced.
The spices, cedar and mosses came strolling in, then quickly hid behind the trees, almost as if they were afraid to show themselves. I waited for the spices to show themselves. They did. In a casket. Everything else that I was waiting for, the incense, the cloves, the wonderful cinnamon and patchouli had died and was being readied for a burial. The funeral procession has begun, the woods have taken over, and all the richness and glory is being buried in the deep dark woods. But even the woods are dying.
Today's Cinnabar smells much better on a strip of paper or an article of clothing than on human skin. What has happened to the original? Well, we know. But I won't beat a dead horse. If you remember Cinnabar for a lush experience, look for the vintage. Do not bother with this unrefined new liquid.
It's no wonder the EL counter refuses to give out samples, citing this reason-"Cinnabar has been around for too many years for people to ask for a sample. They know what it smells like. We don't need to give out samples of a popular perfume. We only give out samples of our newest fragrance." I kid you not. I was told this by two EL counter SA's. Perhaps the accurate reason is that customers will try the new Cinnabar and be disappointed and refuse to purchase it. I sampled Cinnabar three times for this review.
I accidentally sprayed some on my sweater and that's where the better aroma of the perfume is evident. The spices intermingle ever so lightly with the other notes, but nowhere near the original of years gone by. What's on my skin is shallowness, a lack of depth in this Cinnabar that would make me hesitate to purchase any current stock.

coffeex4
coffeex4

I have to say that this reformulation was probably the most disappointing of all perfume reforms for me. It used to smell rich, divine, heady and embery. Now, and I can pinpoint the reform. date in the area of 2005 or 2006?...
Now, it comes out of the bottle smelling green, sour and rotten alot of the time and the same on my skin. But after a couple of hours, it mellows on my skin and there is something nice in there somewhere that eventually comes out, but the sour green stench, especially in summer, is not worth it. This one was severely distorted during the reformulation, and I can't believe they never successfully fixed it. It used to be a favorite. Estee Lauder ruined all of its classics during their big reformulation movement. Knowing, Cinnabar, Youth Dew, Tuscanny Per Donna. What a shame!

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I have been wanting to try this on my skin but haven't got the nerve. When sprayed on paper it has similar spice notes to Opium but also some odd powderiness like someone dumped talcum powder on a bottle of Opium. Does this change when mixed with the skin?

jake.shouse

I love Cinnabar this is one I enjoy wearing when its cold outside Cinnabar and Knowing I enjoy wearing when it is cold their such lovely scents Classics!

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

This is my favorite oriental, and a gorgeous perfume. It is blended beautifully and never leaves me wanting. It is rich and complex, never "too" anything; too sweet, too heavy, too nutmeg-y, too floral.........nope! Just masterfully spicy, deliciously warm, like a sumptuous buffet filled with cinnamon and clove soaked oranges and spread with deep, dark florals.
Everything a perfume should be, and then some. I love everything about it.

liiva
liiva

Oh, it is very typical from 1980's ! I really do not know how it was in 80's, but I think that in that time so many perfumes smelled so similar!
Cloves I can smell absolutely and maybe cinnamon and spices. There are good blended everything else. I can not define what more I can smell..

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

Pure fall. I didn't particularly like the opening, but that's true about a lot of perfumes I love. To me this mostly smells like one of those pomanders you make by sticking an orange full of cloves and then the orange dries out. After a little while I get a soapy smell and a trace of something like rotting autumn leaves, and it's like maybe someone tried to burn them but they were too wet and smoked out. There is also plenty of cinnamon. About an hour into wearing the sample, I ordered a bottle.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

another one of my moms favorites when i was growing up. i really dont mind it. she would douse herself so it was strong but one spray is good. i think if the incense was replaced with a stronger vanilla note it might be really nice. definately spicey, cinnamony, and a bit of incense are the predominate notes. the spice is a really dry spice. the fragrance smells really dry. and it really reminds me of like christmas. i like it but i think it may be to heavy for me.

my husband thinks it smells like old lady. not his cup of tea.

Purrbaby
Purrbaby

My mom use to wear this back in the mid 80's. I remember it had a very strong heavy scent. Less is more with this scent.

abbeyroad68
abbeyroad68

This is INDEED a powerful fragrance! My girlfriend used to wear this in the 80's and every man in the room would comment on how good she smelled so, of course, I went out and bought some...unfortunately, it doesn't get the same reaction when I wear it. It's a very 'heady' fragrance definitely for winter months. I prefer Estee Lauder's "Sensuous Nude" to this. It is a classy fragrance with sophistication.

FranY
FranY

I just tried a tester of this perfume today at the Estee Lauder Counter. It immediately reminded me of incense, spices and temples. Very heady and exotic. I love it. It seems so different to the usual modern fragrances I smell these days. How did I not discover this one before? (I practically used to bathe in Opium back in the 1980's LOL). I'm looking forward to buying Cinnabar next time I am at the department store.

hannie5
hannie5

After looking for the vintage one I finally got it and it is just so powerful! Woa! A tiny bit goes a long way. The proof of this is first, I sprayed some on a business card from where I purchased it from, and the fragrance is still noticable four days later and counting! And I tried just a tiny bit on my skin in my guest bathroom and this scent is still lingering in the room. It smells like I have a spicy, Cinnamon air freshener that was just opened and is working overtime! It also reminds me of when I recently walked into a candle shop and you could smell the sweet, spicy mixture of the candle scents wafting into the air.
On me I get the strong spices, cinnamon and incense that lasts for several hours. Then it tones down just a little and I smell the Sandalwood, Amber and Vanilla. My nose doesn't detect the base notes as much because for me what is left is sweet, powdery, spicy Cinnamon and Vanilla.
This one is a keeper and I love the fact that it is affordable, doesn't smell like any of today's modern gourmand, fruity scents and lasts a very long time. I will be using this bottle for certain, but in the warmer weather I think only at night. This one would be best used in the Fall and in the Winter.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

My fragrance angel sent me a sample of Kenzo L'Elephant this past couple of months. I smelled that fragrance and loved the incense smell of the smoldering spicy notes - and so this started a complete tangent of trying spicy fragrances, hoping to find something that could become a "signature scent" for days when it is cooler out - and I want some added SPICE!

Cinnabar is very close to Opium and a slight twist away from Estee Lauder's Youth Dew. How do I know this, because I recently sprayed all 3 of these on my arms - while at the department store, trying to compare these three to find the best spicy fragrance possible.

Cinnabar is elegant, rich, warm, spicy, and wears well. Opium smells VERY SIMILAR, but there is more of a sediment type mossy dry down with Opium. I actually like the crisper fragrance of Cinnabar a shade or so better than Opium.

With my particular fickle chemistry - out of the 3 fragrances, Youth Dew came in the surprising winner. I had a couple of people smell the 3 fragrances to do a comparative analysis of these spicier scents. The one that a couple of people commented the most positively - was Youth Dew, which has a decidedly spicy scent, but is a shade or two less bold, than Cinnabar and Opium.

I would also like to do a comparative analysis of Guerlain's Mitsouko - with these 3 fragrances. Mitsouko is an awesome fragrance too- in this same type of family.

--------------

Cinnabar is potent, bold, pretty aggressive - when first sprayed. It has a very good dry down. It is definitely one to try, particularly if you love a spicier fragrance that will linger in people's memories. It is memorable, without a doubt!

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

There is no such flower as a cinnamon lily, but if there were, it should smell like this, spicy and smoldering.

I find Cinnabar spicier and less resinous than Opium. While Cinnabar is pleasantly bitter, it lacks Opium's distinctive botanical note of bitter, milky sap. Cinnabar starts very sharp, while Opium starts much more smoothly. But Cinnabar's drydown is plusher than Opium's, seamlessly combining warm balsams and cool vanilla with a lingering spiciness. (The drydown is also somewhat powdery. I usually hate powder, but the other notes keep the powder in check.)

My grandmother was a magesterial woman, whose striking signature style mixed the conservative and the bohemian. Perhaps because she wore Cinnabar, I find Cinnabar more elegant than Opium, while Opium is the more naughty.

(I inherited my grandmother's bottle of Cinnabar, so this review is for an older formulation.)

Sanette
Sanette

Cinnebar is ME . I have been wearing it from early student days in the 70 s and my husband was intrigued mesmerised and completely in love with his scent of a woman. But Recently I found the fragrance changed Why Oh why did they do that. there is hardly any difference between Opium and Cinnebar .now ., ! I never liked Opium. Cinnebar always had that soft powder like fragrance , Oh I am s so sad :(. bring back the original fragrance . i Need to smell like Me again. people use to stop me and asked me what I wear and men turned their heads. I still have a original cinnabar parfume. It smells diffident! What am I going to do .? Did anyone else pick it up , or is it just me and the New York fashion designer ?

kittyh30
kittyh30

I used to wear Cinnibar about 10 years ago, and absolutely adored this scent. for some reason I stopped buying it.. I smelled it again at Christmas time last year, and decided that I liked Opium better. So I purchased that. I then became obsessed with Youth Dew, and wanted to like it so badly, but I just find it so bizarre. I received a new bottle of Cinnibar in the mail today, I am in love all over again!!.. after purchasing opium, youth dew and youth dew amber nude, none of which even compare to my love for this perfume, I wish I had just bought this to begin with!! this was the scent I longed to smell! so comforting. I do love it in the winter time, but one spritz in the summer is so sexy!!1 So I think it works well year round... lets see what my husband thinks!! ;)

tourmali45
tourmali45

Very comforting on a cold or bleak rainy day. Old-fashioned, but pleasant all the same. On me it's mostly spicy carnation, rose and lily with hefty dose of incense and amber. Surprisingly, I detect no cinnamon at all. I probably like Cinnabar because though heady and quite heavy it's not sweet at all, only slightly bitter and dry.

Bedhead
Bedhead

Warm and powerful -- overbearing if you aren't careful! Less is more with this fragrance. I don't dislike it entirely. I think a drop would be nice on winter blankets, but it reminds me of holidays at mass when someone has on too much fragrance, mixed with incense and candles and too much heat.

maneki_neko
maneki_neko

I have a very hard time wearing YSL's Opium. Cinnabar is a much easier way to "wear" that grand, spicy mist--but that is fair neither to Opium, nor Cinnabar. So neither, unfortunately, are in my collection.

I stick with Youth Dew. : )

Cinnabar is by far the most perfect cinnamon fragrance yet concocted. If you're blessed with the olfactory capability to detect the tangerine, it's the absolute kicker.

Iris_it
Iris_it

Cinnabar is very warm and powerful , a delicious fragrance for winter , extremely spicy and in an elegant way . I love it , but I have to pay attention not to spray too much as it has an excellent sillage .

truffles

This is one of the ones my Mum wears and it turns into mouldy oranges, the exact smell of mouldy orange peel. Mmmmm - not!
I was out with her one day and I kept asking 'where's that smell coming from? Is someone eating an orange?'. It was driving me mad.
We worked out that the smell was following my Mum and that it had to be the Cinnabar.
Eek! She doesn't wear it much now.

flying_colours
flying_colours

Cigarettes, citrus, and soap. That's pretty much exactly what this smells like to me. Given the notes and the similarity to perfumes like Opium, I should like this a lot more than I do. But for some reason it reminds me of cigarettes, and the citrus notes are a little too harsh. I'm trying to let it grow on me. This is definitely one of those cold-weather fragrances where one spritz on the back of your neck is more than enough unless you want to choke everyone around you.

nellyrlight@aol.com

LOVE! I'm obsessed! I do find it weird that I do not like Opium..But I do love this one!

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

To me, this is the Estee Lauder version of Opium and Shalimar. The spices, especially cinnamon and cloves define it and is lovely but the benzoin, in the topnote, is too sharp for me. Luckily, the benzoin disappears in a few short minutes. In the drydown, this fume becomes sweet with cinnamons and vanilla - heavenly. I am enchanted; will have to buy that affordable bottle I almost bought at The Bay (no tester available so no sale). It seems similar to Private Collection and Estee without the sharpness. Scored a parfum miniature during an Oregon Coast trip at a Wheeler antique store for $5. I think the scent from an edp spray would be harsh rather than inviting.

One dab on me,
Sillage: close to skin
Longevity: 4-6 hours
Rating: parfum=3/5

migueldematos
migueldematos

I find this very close to YSL Opium, that I love. I just got a bottle of Cinnabar from a swap. I've been afraid of wearing it and getting uncomfortable, since it is so strong. However, today I put it on and I'm feeling great! I even put 3 sprays and it is not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. Great scent, exotic, sweet, spicy, and suitable for men also!

freddinos
freddinos

I can see this smell wonderfully addictive if dabbed on VERY lightly. Also I can imagine it overwhelming the wearer and everyone in a 2 meter radius if oversprayed as if it was a watered 'Philosophy type' EDT. All in all, if there were instructions on the bottle reading 'use a drop only' many misunderstandings would have been avoided, because this really is a classic of its time

frugalwitch
frugalwitch

This is a scent to be used very sparingly to avoid overwhelming anyone in a 10 foot radius. When worn in tiny amounts the warm, complex Cinnabar really shines. Definately a winter fragrance.

nellyrlight@aol.com

LOVE it..exquisite..not light..but if you like light, then don't use it..it permeates to your skin and becomes one with it..I can smell it on my skin while I'm showering at the end of the day! That's what I call a perfume!!!

persefoni
persefoni

... suffice to say this is one of the spiciest, warmest, most distinct orientals EVER.... for noses who love the above, this is addictive... a masterpiece!!

aromajunkie
aromajunkie

My mother wore Cinnabar for years, so its a scent I remember from childhood. Recently she started wearing it again.I've NEVER had a reaction to a scent like I have with this. I couldn't understand when people talked about having terrible experiences with fragrance, my thinking was always simply "well, I don't like the way this smells" and thats it. OH, Cinnabar...you are a BEAST. A powerhouse of nose-burning proportions. There are a few things I must admit up front before I describe its assault on my olfactory capacities...granted, I have gotten used to lighter scents and lighter application lately because of my occupation. Thats not to say I dislike strong scents, far from it. Lets just say my nose is much more sensitive to the intensity now than it was before. And granted, my tastes in fragrances have veered in the floral, green, aquatic direction more so than the intensely spicy aldehydic direction. So I was not predisposed to care for Cinnabar. But I can appreciate a scent without claiming it as one I'd wear, or even liking it. I like to give it a fair chance so I can sort out its notes, etc. Childhood memories notwithstanding, when I smelled Cinnabar on my mother recently, it actually turned my stomach. My head pounded, and I felt like my lungs were staging a protest. I had not slept much the night before, and I am always more sensitive in that situation, so I won't judge Cinnabar based on that day's experience. Today, I again caught a whiff (who are we kidding, a whiff sounds like a light, fleeting, chiffon-like wisp on a scent. Catching a "whiff" of this stuff is like catching a whiff of a freight train) of it on mom again. I politely asked what it was, not giving away the stirrings of nausea that I was already beginning to feel. When she left the bottle on her dresser, I bravely stole a spritz on my wrist because I felt the need to understand this creature. For the first ten minutes I felt like I was surrounded by a gas cloud. By the time I could put my arm anywhere in the vicinity of my face, my first thought, note-wise, was "is there civet in this?". Civet, I don't like you. At all. I almost ran for the sink right then and there but I said no, I want to let this run its course so I can analyze it. So I did. Oh dear, that was a rough ride. I did perceive cinnamon and clove and various other "spicy" aromas (which I actually like in moderation) but I have to second what another reviewer said about the sense of "brittle aldehydes" here. Aldehydes are alright sometimes, for me, but this is different. This seems, like the reviewer said, brittle. Some adjectives I'd add to that are: stale, crackly, parched. And I swear I'm getting civet! Looked up the notes here and, surprise, civet is a figment of my imagination. What is making me think of it?? I just don't know. Like I said in the beginning, I could never relate to people who have such strong reactions to a perfume. Its just a smell, I thought, it can stink and be too strong but, really, it cant be all that bad. I understand now, coughers and sneezers and vomiters and eye-waterers. I can literally feel the inside of my nostrils tingling right now. Experiences like this one make me more aware, more understanding, and more respectful of the issue of sillage being a problem for some people. This will make me tone down my own fragrance a bit because, even though I may LOVE what I'm wearing, I honestly don't want to give anyone an asthma attack. Consider Cinnabar the fragrance that opened my eyes to the curious suffering of those whose scent-phobic-ness was such a mystery before.

miss mills
miss mills

Wow, I was gifted Cinnabar by my father and stepmother just thirty minutes ago when they got off a plane from Australia. I had only once, years ago smelt this before but, based on the listed notes, always wanted to try it again. It's not so easy to come by here.

One spray to each wrist and frantic sniffing the entire drive to my place and I am in love. First blast to the senses were cinnamon, ambergris and orange and a note I can't quite place - reminds me so strongly of Coco, this is in the same vein, from composition to blend, so seamlessly complex, I can see this is an undeniable classic.

Five minutes later, cinnamon lingers and is joined by jasmine, and more headily by incense and resin, the kind I used to smell in church as a child. I ADORE that combo. I'm sure I detect another flower (read above lily is in here, which I adore but still can't quite detect) along with the subtlest hint of vanilla and something woodsy, sandalwood or even, maybe,oud...?

The floral notes are so perfectly blended in this one that they enhance the spice rather than overpower it, almost undetectable to my nose but must be there for this is not a straight up spice blend, no way!

Beautiful. I think next time, I will wear only one spray to the cleavage and let it waft up from there, as I do with Hypnotic Poison. These seductive killer frags deserve a sneak attack entrance, I believe, not a whack over the head. That's when their charms truly ensnare the senses...

For me, this Cinnabar is truly in line with Coco, Opium, Hypnotic Poison & Shalimar as far as classics go.

nastyamason
nastyamason

When I was in my late teens, my mom had several bottles of Cinnabar. I tried it more than once but never liked it. It was twenty years ago. Well, my mom brought me her perfume collection, since she does not use them anymore. I tried Cinnabar and was blown away!!! It is absolutely gorgeous!!! I fell in love with it immediately. It is one of my favorites now, together with Kenzo L'Elephant and Bond #9 Chinatown. One spray is sufficient.

akats

It's funny but this is the only perfume I wear when I want to please my husband! Ofcourse I love it also, although I miss it's old bitter animalic twist. Cinnabar still is a strong masterpiece. A dizzy sexy statement.

Tulip Time
Tulip Time

The only perfume ever my husband said "please wash it off". Yes it was that unpleasant. I actually had purchased a gift set of body lotion and the edp. Use one or the other sparingly, not together. I actually used just a light sprtiz of Cinnabar to see if husband would have a change of opinion - no dice as he said "it's the same perfume isn't it?". I do like the scents of cinnamon, cloves, and other spices, however I think the formulation was one of too many and too much. I agree 1000% with another reviewer who said the packaging is cheap. Part of the experience of fragrance is not only smell divine, but to see a pleasin eye-pleasing bottle as well.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Cinnabar is the common ore of mercury. Beautiful and toxic. Perhaps this is why at Estee Lauder counters they keep this object of a certain striking beauty hidden from sight.

For there seems no logical reason to conceal this warm, generous and welcoming pseudo-oriental scent.

Yes it is a version of China about as real as the model factories and swarms of smiling children Pat Nixon met in 1973, but this perfume knows that it is half way to being propaganda and for that reason never takes itself too seriously.

A bright and cheery, flag waving entrance of citrus leads swiftly to an hallway of the people with a determined spicy architecture. Structural elements of near sanitary cloves and almost strident cinnamon ensure that other softer elements do not sag.

So, when incense and vanilla and florals and bezoin come wafting through their route is defined and direct maintaining a brisk and clear order to the whole assembly as though some benign school ma'am were keeping a watchful eye over the proceedings.

Perhaps this is where it all went wrong for Cinnabar: where other perfumes of this genre let it all, and then more, far much too much more, hang out, it kept its nerve and retained its composure.

At the time that might have felt a little too tight lipped, severe even.

Looking back it seems, just like Cinnabar itself: an act of unwaivering poise and impeccable judgement.

ivi rose
ivi rose

I got a vintage bottle of the fragrance spray and unfortunately it must have gone off. I never smelled any cinnamon and it was herbally and then completely faded. It was a spray bottle so I don't believe it was tampered with. Anyway it doesn't appear to have a good lifelength. I won't go out of my way to search for anymore vintage, a waste of money imho. So disappointed, I so wanted the wonderful cinnamon smell others spoke of.

sally.west1
sally.west1

One of my deadly few along with Youth Dew, Aromatics Elixar, Magic Noire and Opium. All of these smell horrible on me and give me a massive headache! I have a bit of a problem with Estee Lauder. My friend worked for them for years and I used to get a lot of EL products for birthdays etc. Never took to any EL fragrance - just too "in your face". Cinnabar was one of these "gifts" - I tried it and it tested me as I wanted to like it. I am a floriental lover and this is just too spicy for me - I can see it may have charms for some wearers but not for me!

MJ1209
MJ1209

Totally overwhelming oriental cinnamony experience. Wayyyyyyyyy too strong. If you want people to SEE your fragrance coming ahead of you... this is the one!No thanks.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

EK, I can't add much to your review! Brava!

I love Avon's Rare Rubies, and this is like Rare Rubies on steroids, while PMSing. Wow. One tiny spritz on my forearm...next time, I'll spritz behind my knees and leave it at that!

Blast of whatever it is that Estee Lauder fragrances always seem to start with--brittle aldehydes. For Cinnabar, the first real note I get is ginger--not dry ginger, but fresh cut ginger root. The other spices make their fierce appearance. I get a little vetiver, and maybe some incense....and then this odd note that, once I've smelled it I can't get out of my head. Urine? Is it the carnation? I've never had a fragrance do that for me. I can still smell all of the other notes--clove and ginger are out-shouting the cinnamon, sadly--but that odd undercurrent is still there. 5 hours later, I'm waiting for the amber, sandal and vanilla to appear. Not sure what to think of this. Maybe the perfume is wearing me, rather than the other way around. It certainly is a strong one!

Jomoves
Jomoves

I love all these old Lauder powerhouse fragrances. The one thing I don't love is how cheap and crap the bottles are now.This one looks and feels like something you'd see on the bottom shelf of a drugstore.

Estee Lauder seems to go out of their way to make the packaging for all their classic fragrances as cheaply as possible. Come to think of it, they reformulate the actual fragrances with the same idea in mind.

EK
EK

So they say Cinnabar is a heavy hitter. A powerhouse perfume. I have to disagree strongly on this. Cinnabar is not a heavy hitter at all. Cinnabar is a bloody nuclear bomb of at least 50 megatons! This is far beyond powerhouse. Cinnabar ought to be caged and locked up excactly like Hannibal Lecter was in The Silence of the Lambs... with a hotline to the fire deptartment within reach. Cinnabar might very well self-ignite.

In case I didn't make it clear yet: I love it. I am literally blown away, Cinnabar knocked my socks off and took my breath away in more than one sense. This is one strong motherf....! By default I don't belive in one-spritz-wonders, not on my skin. I have a couple of two-spritz-wonders, but I never expected to meet anything that would exceed that.
I give in. Cinnabar is definitely a one-spritz-wonder. I took one (1) spritz and found myself in a fog so thick I could barely navigate - for hours. 12 hours later it behaves like normal perfumes do an hour after 5 spritzes. I don't know how they did it, but this potion is out of the ordinary in every aspect.

So how does it smell like..? To me, note-moron as I am, it's a very, very spicy, hot, animalic, dirty-classy powerhouse perfume. Dramatic, mysterious, smouldering. A come-hither fragrance? Umm, yes.. a "come-hither if you dare" kind of thing maybe.

So, Cinnabar... the name evokes associations to the mysterious east, spice markets, velvety night skies, mosques, Aladdin's treasures, slave girls dancing with covered faces.
But is this what Cinnabar is really like? In the drydown, yes. Absolutely. In the drydown the aggressive, bold, shouting sensuality softens to unspoken promises, mystery, and a strange anticipation of something to happen.

Once upon a time I went through a couple of bottles of Opium. I haven't smelled Opium since sometime in the 80'ies, but Cinnabar reminds me very much of it. I'm pretty sure Cinnabar kicks more ass than Opium did though. Correct me if I'm wrong. In my opinion it's in the vein of Knowing too. Until now I've considered Knowing to be the mother of all powerhouses. Now I'm not so sure... Their statements differ quite a lot. To put the comparison very short: If I was an executive and was going to fire my entire board and scare the shit out of them, I'd wear Knowing. If I wanted to fire my entire board and make them come back for more, I'd wear Cinnabar.

Clove, cinnamon, patchouli, incense. What more can you ask for? This is a Grand Dame, not to be messed with - yet not overly formal, perhaps overly sensual. A Femme Fatale beyond imagination.

A masterpiece. Period.

lemontreelime12
lemontreelime12

Very powerful, use with care.

nellyrlight
nellyrlight

I really agree with someone here saying this fragrance is an olfactory master piece..It really is..And it's so amazing to still smell it on your body at the end of the day in the shower, after putting it on at 6 am in the morning! Mixes with your own chemistry and oils and becomes even more special. Love!

Fragaria

This used to be beautiful to me. My choice in this type of fragrance has changed or it's been drastically reformulated? I didn't pick up any cinnamon at all, and if it has incense, it was nothing compared to before. As I said, it could just be me. I find that I like Liz Claiborne's Spark far more than this one.

francisrose
francisrose

This perfume was my best friend's signature fragrance, the only scent she ever wore, and she wore it beautifully. when I get a whiff of this I instantly think of her, and her beautiful elegant way and oh how I miss her! Cinnabar is a rich, elegantly warm and spicy scent. I remember her wearing cashmere shawls that were always adorned with beautiful brooches that belonged to her grandmother. I will always love this perfume...

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

I tried this today at 9.30 am and I can still smell it close to skin now at 4pm.

I recently trieds this in the Perfume Shop and it smelt as though it had gone off. In the end I washed it off.

HOWEVER, I tried this again today and it really grew on me. At first it smelt very old fashioned, not quite old lady, but it reminded me of my late grandmother, who always smelt lovely and had very classic taste in scent.

It's not modern, or a fruity floral or one of today's lightweights.

It starts, alarmingly, I thought, with that old fashioned vintage-y scent, and stayed that way for quite some time. However, now it has settled into a rich, incense-laden spiced scent, aromatic and belonging to a different time.

For some reason it also has a hint of that long discontinued soap called Shield. Maybe both products had an ingredient in common.

Anyway, this is a heavyweight classic that isn't going anywhere. I prefer it to Opium and would consider getting a bottle for occasional special use rather than every day.

ailishlu
ailishlu

I bought a 50 ml bottle of this yesterday while I was on my mad buy fix. I sprayed it on in the store and I did indeed get that strange sharp top note that I didn't recognise in my vintage version. (Of course I no longer own the vintage unfortunately). I wandered around to let it settle and I kept thinking, will I won't I buy? What the heck. The price was pretty good and it is after all a classic. When it eventually settled on the skin, I did get hints of the old Cinnabar and it is STRONG. There was however a synthetic note in there that disturbed me a bit. I only had it on for a couple of hours before I showered and changed to go out for the evening. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. At least I hope so. I shall wear this again in December when it gets a bit colder and I'll update this review.

smellsheavenly
smellsheavenly

I have a 50ml bottle of the reformulated Cinnabar, barely touched. Purchased from a legitimate retailer around 2? years ago. It was my Christmas treat - my older bottle having just about run dry - if only I'd known what they had done to do to my precious Cinnabar.
I have worn this since the late 80's, as a young teen - I went to School Discos, clubs (you could get in at 15 then -no questions asked) wearing this. It was beautiful, spicy, had such personality, and the sillage well......... second to none. The new Cinnabar has a grating jarring odour, which seems to grow as the day does - so different from the smooth older one.
When summer turns to winter (we don't get much in-between in Scotland, in fact its mostly winter year round), I crave for this stuff - the crisp cold mornings, where you can see your breath, and I am wrapped cosy and warm in my Cinnabar.
Ubfortunately, the re-formulation does not cut it for me. Chasing vintage on Ebay is my new pass-time.
I still have my old bottle - with about 1-2mls left, I do not spray it, just smell and remember.......

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

I have a small vintage Cinnabar perfume--a very dark juice that smells like a smiling (American) version of original Opium.

I found a just-before-the-most-recent reformulation of the edp on a dusty bottom shelf of an Ulta in the middle of nowhere and excitedly tested out the still oakmoss-laden classic hoping to score a large bottle to use with abandon. While the original radiated warmth and depth and a deceptively wholesome sensuality, this formulation came on with no subtlety. The top notes: a cacophany of citrus and citronella. The drydown grew stronger by the hour somehow, wilting into Christmas potpourri. I believe synthetic sandalwood was mixed with the still real oakmoss extract to dissonant effect. Or perhaps the known enforced reduction of oakmoss content created an imbalance in the formula? At any rate a jarring asymmetry made this Cinnabar unrecognizable to me. The newest formulation with more synthetics is in fact more cohesive and post-drydown is recognizably some kind of take on the original Cinnabar, but best of all vintage Cinnabar remains a retro-70s comfort scent for a siren; this penultimate formulation, though, needs an ambulance and is better left unsought.

In any incarnation, this is remarkably long-lasting (all day), large (fill a room), fire and spice, and ideally for cold weather and dramatic personalities. A diva doing fondue at a ski lodge.

waine
waine

My mother wore this often during the early eighties. A classic woman's perfume appealing more to the "mature" lady in my opinion. Smells spicy, luxurious and extremely pleasant. A very safe buy.

lmktacwa
lmktacwa

This is nothing like Dolce Vita. At. All. I LOVE Dolce Vita. This is much more in the neighborhood of YSL Opium in that it has that soapy quality I detest. I wish I knew what lent that quality to perfumes so I could avoid it in the future.

That being said, I do prefer this over YSL Opium. I'm testing this for a third time to try to "watch" and experience the development in to the dry down. Where is the peach and tangerine that are supposed to be at the top?

I wish I had nicer things to say because unlike one commenter who stated that anyone who doesn't like this doesn't like strong perfumes and is therefore a wimp can kiss my ass because I LOVE strong perfumes... just not ones that smell like cheap laundry powder.

I love Flower by Kenzo Oriental... I am "okay" with Samsara. I don't like Lou Lou or Shalimar but I love Obsession. I don't like Youth Dew or YSL Opium, but I love Coco. I bought Cinnabar because of the cinnamon note (that is supposedly SO dominate that it's in the name!), yet, most ironically for me, I am having a hard time pulling the soapy (powder laundry detergent) curtain back far enough on this one to even sense poor cinnamon. As a side note: Cinnamon is the note I love most about Obsession, but it's not listed IN the Obsession notes!!

I have tried Mitsouko, and am growing to tolerate it as well, but I know I will not use that bottle in a lifetime of trying. I have come to realize that my personal olfactory "factory" is not designed to appreciate these power house orientals. Too bad, cuz I REALLY want to. But gosh darn it, it's that soapiness mostly that turns me off.

If things get better, I'll be back. If not. Well, I'll try again another day. One thing I've learned on my perfume adventures is that what I love one day, I hate the next, and vice versa. It depends on mood, time of year, time of day, weather, etc.

If anyone can help enlighten this poor gal on what that soapiness is, I'd be forever indebted to you.

Cheers!

P.S. reviewer after me says this is a safe buy. HAH! Buy a small tester first. Or just apply some Tide Laundry detergent on to your neck. Same same.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Love this. I have the reformulated version of Opium. It reminds me of opium but it's better. I'm sad I didn't buy cinnabar instead: better lasting power and less expensive. Great perfume.

suhaesa
suhaesa

it is my beloved mysterious ambarry powdery oriental scent there were times that it was always carried in my bag ..i feel that this fragrance is not appreciated in the west due to its heavy notes..but in the far east and the middle east it will be loved for its comforting deep lushous sensual warming aromas here is some thing magical about cinibar it spell bounds you i did not like spell bound but i love cynibar and the old youth dew and estee and azuree..i still have some left from the real ones from my grandmother and they do smell different..yet i always keep a stock of six just in case its disscontiued..i love it one of all time favourites that will stand the test of time

rating 4.8 out of 5

pfcs
pfcs

I've loved this since it first came out, and often take the cap off just to smell it. I am careful where I wear it, because many people hate it and don't mind saying so. You know the kind, those winps who hate strong perfume and claim certain scents give them a headache. I've worn perfume my entire life and NEVER had a headache from perfume.

joliecat
joliecat

If you love the ORIGINAL formula YSL Opium, you would like the Original Vintage Cinnabar. It's very spicy !

Yes, unfortunately, the first spray of the new reformulated version of Cinnabar is yucky. Due to synthetic ingredients used to replace some of the natural ingredients, you can get a horrible nasty bitter smell at first. This is true of most reformulated classic perfumes. However, with Cinnabar, I shook the bottle first, let most of the bubbles burst, then sprayed, and I didn't get that horrible ugly synthetic smell any more. I love Cinnabar. It is very heavy, super strong, so don't overdose. A little goes a long way, and it lasts and lasts.

PeppermintCrush
PeppermintCrush

I really wanted to love this scent because it reminds me of my great grandmother as this was her signature perfume, but... It smelled HORRIBLE on me. I was looking more for a spicy scent and all I kept smelling was tabacco and licorice. I ended up returning it unfortunately.

stormyla
stormyla

This is truly a great scent, which I remember fondly. I wore this in the Opium and Poison era and always preferred it to those.

A few women in my office wore Cinnabar in lieu of the others aforementioned. When Opium and Poison became really popular many people complained to their managers about the overwhelming and sickening scents in the office. Our office eventually was made Opium and Poison free. No one ever complained about the Cinnabar, yet many then and also here claim it is the more powerful scent.

I've always found the scent very powerful but never cloying or stale. I really think that body chemistry has a lot to do with the sour notes that people experience with these strong fragrances.

RobbieX

A lavish, gorgeous spicy perfume. Leaves a beautiful trail behind. Longevity awesome. Brilliant for winter. A ladies classic ! I'm a man and I have gotta get some for me.

lolitajade
lolitajade

I wore this from around the age of 15 (as my mum had it). It reminds me of New Romantic and Eighties dance music. I wore it every time I went out clubbing etc in the evening until I was about 30. I would wear nothing else at night. Never in the day though. I adored it

Trouble is, now it is likened to Youth Dew, Opium and old ladies--Not to mention of course, it is old school and out dated, so do not wear it at all.

If heavy orientals come back. I am right out there buying me a big bottle :)

GG_UK3
GG_UK3

wore this when i was a young vibrant teenager at xmas time !! sweet ..heady ...spicey and warm and i loved it
a classic but strong you only need as little spray here and there ..not for the faint hearted or willow the wisp type ladies ...sensual..seductive and sweet

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

One thing I learned about Cinnabar, you have to be patient, don't judge it from the beginning!
I bought it because I liked how it smelled initially in the shop. Then at home I didn't quite get it I didn't like it! I kept it aside for a while and went back to it a month later. I fell in love with it all over again! If you are not accustomed to such spicy intense scents it will take you some time to acquire the taste for this fragrance style :) just like what happened to me :)
An excellent fragrance for a night out or in with hubby :) very sexy :) I prefer it in cold weather of course, because it has a warming effect.
Thank God I came back to my senses about this one!
This perfume is going to be one of my signature scents till the end of winter :)
I love it!

akats

I have the reformulated perfume, yet, I remember clearly how it was smelling the original formula. Yes, It has changed but it is not destroyed completely -as it happened with Lancom's "magie noir" Cinnabar I think is now sweeter and more powdery, without its past bitter animalic achord when dried down. The difference is not dramatical! If you loved that smell, you won't be dissapointed by its reformulation. Is as strong and complex as it used to be. As spicy oriental as it used to be. I wish all the great fragrances had the same treatment. Unfortunately, the majority is a big dissapointment for their fans after years...

Jayne58
Jayne58

Working through the four and five star Turin and Sanchez recommendations, I have now reached Cinnabar. This has everything I usually adore in a fume - rich, check; spicy, check; complex, check. But my first reaction is that it is like soap on steroids. It is the cleanest, most hygeinic smelling oriental I have ever encountered. Sorry, Tanchez, I don't actively dislike this and won't rush to scrub it off, but it will be low on my rotation list - for me it's a 3!

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

STILL STUNNING!!! I'm not entirely convinced that Cinnabar has been reformulated, and if it has it's been done very sympathetically. I remember vividly playing around at my grandmother's dressing table as a young boy and being absolutely entranced by the oriental magic of Cinnabar!!

My nose has always been keen, so much so that my favorite party trick is to stick it in someone's neck, take a deep sniff and tell them what they are wearing. This was a lot more easily managed when Lauder fragrances were "individual" and special, like Cinnabar, Private Collection, Beautiful ...!
Most of their latest efforts "smell like" some other newly foisted-upon-humanity-rubbish-made-by-accountants-posing-as-parfumeurs that was released last Tuesday and will be forgotten by this coming Sunday. OH!! Silly me ... they have a marketing term for that type of ploy. It's called a "Limited Edition" ... BAH!!!

Cinnabar retains all the glory of it's past IMHO. It still comes out of the bottle slightly oily and could stop the charge of a bull elephant at 200 paces if not treated with respect. I wear this in lieu of JHL. It's pretty much the same ... just a little more flamboyant which suits me fine! Brilliantly complex, comfortably reliable ... Thanks Mrs. Lauder, rest with the angels!!

boruvka44
boruvka44

Mix of Youth Dew and Coco. Very pleasant alternative.
I would not compare it to Opium. Opium is dry, woody resinous natural warm scent. In Cinnabar is some cold animal note with cloves oil poured over a peach.

nopasho
nopasho

Yes it is heavy, yes it is an 'old school' intricate perfume with more than two fruity and two floral notes thrown together with some synthetic vanilla and some evenly synthetic 'caramel' or better said 'candy' note. Yes, it is also a great, impressive olfactory masterpiece. In fact, one of the greatest 'American perfumes' ever made. And proof that Estée Lauder was a genius and the only 'perfumer' who was on the same level as the great French perfume houses like Chanel, Dior, YSL, Patou... Think what the lady made in her life: 'Aliage', 'Beautiful', 'Knowing', 'Cinnabar', 'Youth Dew', 'Spellbound', 'Sensuous'... All great, iconic real american fragrances. I would dare to say: 'America cherish your unique formidable Mrs Estée Lauder more'. Forget Calvin and Ralph and the pimps and clowns of Abercrombie and Fitch, forget the heap of celeb scents that drop daily out of that fruity floral mill and smell like fast food taste. Cherish your only five star perfume chef: Estée Lauder and her fantastic, original, high class creations.
The strange thing is that her masterpiece fragrances are mostly villified in her own America, where people apparently like more fruity floral cotton candy aquatic or gimmicky (Harajuku Lovers anyone? Only in America...) fragrances. In Europe and in 'fragrance countries' like France and Italy, Estée Lauder is revered. And rightly so.
'Cinnabar', launched in 1978, is a serious frag in the vein of 'Opium', yes, 'Coco', yes... But is that a bad thing? On the contrary, I would say. It would be sad if it was in the vein of 'Purr', 'Justin Bieber', 'Avril Lavignes Black Star', 'Pamela Andersons Malibu' etc ad nauseam. But of course 'serious' frags like 'Cinnabar' are very unusual in a country that seriously debates over the eventual deep perfumery qualities 'Fantasy' by Britney and 'Halle' by Halle Berry. No offense intended. I like Britney when she sings, I like Halle when she acts, but that doesn't make them perfumers or have the basic knowledge of the intricate art of perfumery.
Let's look at the pyramid of this amazing (even after all those years) fragrance that definitely stood the test of time.
Top: Spices, peach, bergamot, clove, tangerine, orange blossom.
Middle: Carnation, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang-ylang, Rose
Base: (one of the most impressive and strongest in perfume history): Tolu balsam, sandalwood, amber, vanilla, patchouli, vetiver, incense and benzoin.
Wow! This is something else than berries with gardenia and a base of vanilla and sandalwood. This fragrance is 'a Lady', not 'a gigly girl'.
Two important things make this frag the unique masterpiece that it still is and that it made survive the test of time gloriously. First of all within each of the three levels of the pyramid, there are contrasts and olfactory interactions going on between the strong notes which create all kinds of combinations of smells that come and go according to the development on the skin. All notes in Cinnabar are personalities and 'big ego's'. Meaning that they smell strong and are recognisable, so no breezy hardly smellable air here. And strong ego's clash hard but also bond hard. And the change from bonding to pounding can go quickly. 'Cinnabar' is a masterly crafted fragrance with a constant suprising evolution for hours, all that happening within the big lines set out by the perfumer by putting this and that note together in this and this exact quantity. You have linear frags and you have living frags that evolve and change on the skin. 'Cinnabar' is full of live on the skin.
In 'the top' we have the contrast between the four of the existing 'taste-groups' ('salty' is not much used in fragrances, 'Womantiy' by Mugler is one notable exception): 'sweet': peach, 'umami' (meaty, earthy): spices and clove, 'bitter': tangerine, 'sour': orange blossom and bergamot. All these five basis smell- and taste elements are mixed harmoniously together but cause a constant extremely pleasant and sometimes surprising evolution of the fragrance on the top. In the middle you have the sensual 'sweet' rose and ylang ylang, the 'umami' spicy cinnamon, the slightly 'bitter' carnation and peppery jasmine. The sourness is already strong in the top. Here again on this middle level contrasts and exchanges between the rose/ylang ylang combo and spicy cinnamon and the peppery jasmine and the dry, bitter carnation cause olfactory fireworks on your skin. In the base, this frag works its ass of to create a solid... well... base on which the more 'star struck' notes of the middle and top who want to, can shine and take the lead for a short while, can lean on, root in and anchor. They can rise and shine from the base to the top and then fall back and lean on the super solid base that lets room for its own 'inner base' dynamics. So pleasant contrasts and olfactory surprises also galore in the base but more subdued than in the higher levels, between the tolu/incense and amber and vanilla and vetiver/patchouli. What a couldron of strong notes! And the genius and craftmanship and vision of Mrs Lauder is that she harmoniously united all these notes and inner contrasts into a strong lean, mean base-machine as jumping off and landing lvel for the other notes in middle and top level to shine one after another or together with each other and then fall back on that base to then sparkle agin a bit later, alone or in combination with other top and middle notes.
The second great process is the interaction between the three levels: the spicy/fruity top against the floral middle and the strong deep incense/balsam/patchouli/amber base. So we have a double set of contrasts. The dynamics between those two processes -first within each level and secondly between the three levels-, creates yet another third dynamic. Yes, it is that genius and intricate. What a tour de force by Mrs Lauder!
All these contrasts are masterly designed, planned and happily married. They make of 'Cinnabar' a true piece of intricate perfume art. Lauders best frag by far IMHO. On the same level as 'Coco' and 'Opium'. How many 'American frags' can undisputely be called 'a classic'? And would be without a doubt allowed in the 'Perfume Hall of Fame' next to classics like 'Opium', 'Coco', 'Joy', 'Jicky'... Not 'Child' by Susan D. Owens, not 'Kai', not 'Midnight Fantasy'. Mrs Estée Lauder was a formidable woman of taste and a great creative force of the caliber of Mrs Coco Chanel. And so are her fragrances. 'Cinnabar' in the first place. It is high time for a rehabilitation of this timeless classic. If the reformulation is really that horrible -I only have a vintage bottle- there are more than enough vintage bottles of this gem to be found on line. Americans, cherish your greatest perfumer ever and the greatest perfume she created. 'Cinnabar' is pure world class. Take it from a European perfume nut, like me, an adept of vintage 'Opium', 'Coco', 'Joy' by Patou, Dior's 'La Dolce Vita', 'Mitsouko' by Guerlain and the American 'Black Orchid' by Tom Ford. 'Cinnabar' is one of them.
It is an out-of-league intricate perfumery masterpiece that will in the coming years know an unstoppable come back when people get tired of cotton candy, sugary concoctions and overpriced fragranced water. Mind my words. Well deserved and certainly not too soon for Mrs Lauder and the wonderful 'Cinnabar' Sample this beauty, give it 30 minutes to settle down on your skin and then tell me that this isn't 'Coco' and Guerlain class... Cinnabar rocks big time! Amen.

sandalwood234
sandalwood234

The reformulation STINKS. Sometimes it smells like sour old tobacco smoke on my skin. It used to be my "favorite" smell in the world, incomparable to any other perfume. I don't know why they don't just discontinue the stinky stuff if they aren't going to bring back the old, like everybody seems to want. All of their perfumes turned into one big disappointment as far as I'm concerned. The once very interesting and addicting Azuree was reformulated into a foamy lame aftershave scent. They ruined their whole line!

naheed
naheed

Cinnabar is like revisiting old memories. My aunts used to smell like so when they used to come from Portugal back in the 80s. They were young, in their twenties and gorgeous girls then. It is said that childhood memories are the ones that freeze in memory the most prominently and that's how Cinnabar connects me to them. I really love the way it starts and settles.

Cinnabar is like I imagine how winters smell like in my region. Starts off too strong and then a mix of spicy and resinous notes kick in. Just three spritz and it's not possible people won't ask you what scent are you wearing and having said that, it's a sillage monster.

Talking more of the fragrance, there are no prominent floral note and on the whole, it's a complex composition and pure elegance. I don't find cinnamon playing as a one note role rather it's a mix of resins, clove, cinnamon and just an echo of florals, and that makes it a kind of incense and I love anything that smells incense to me.

I love it.

Demoiselle
Demoiselle

I love this, its my second favorite discovery this year. The cinnamon is evident almost immediately in this scent but it is nicely balanced by what seems to be the sandalwood and floral notes, so that it smells elegant but not stuffy. I don't understand all these comparisons with YSL Opium - I got a sample of that the same day and the scent made me choke - it was way too intense for me and smelt really old (and I rarely say that about a scent). If you didn't like Opium, give this a try, there is no connection between the two in my opinion. What I would suggest it is very like would be Dior Dolce Vita - my favorite discovery this year - except somewhat more casual and not as heavy. Definitely for colder months, it’s a scent that conveys warmth. .

celygould
celygould

I wear Cinnabar infrequently because I simply do not want to 'tire' of its fragrance(s). When I first spritz it on it seems to take on what my chemistry wants to bring out...sometimes spicy, sometimes floral. At any rate this perfume is elegant and exotic and rich. I find it more an evening scent. I do think the newer scent is more floral. The old scent of the 80's was indeed more earthy.

lilykim
lilykim

My fav since the eighty's.Very disappointed with the new Cinnabar.Much too sweet nothing like the original.

Fizzy
Fizzy

Exquisite and long lasting cinnamon fragrance. A gem!

Abyss1001
Abyss1001

This is the most delicious, warm, mysterious fragrance ever created in my humble opinion. First began wearing it in the late 1970's-early 80's when my cousin introduced it to me... She always wore it and I found her to be the most beautiful, mysterious (in a positive way) woman ever... I have never fallen OUT of love with Cinnabar... Not good to wear in hot weather; however... A+ fragrance...love it beyond compare....

Aprilily
Aprilily

I sat behind a girl in HS who wore this. I liked it, but she was way too heavy handed. On the days I wore my Opium, and she her Cinnabar it was quite a spicy "fragrant" classroom!

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

I thought this one should smell like cinnamon, but ohh no... I can only smell old mans tobacco and electric fire. Very very nasty and strange. But the sillage and longevity is smashing though.

puppynose
puppynose

Shame. I thought Lauder was famous for keeping the original formulations true or at least bringing them back in response to consumer feedback after they briefly erred. Those of us who know how this SHOULD smell may need to barrage the company with requests re redeem Cinnabar. The essence of the original has nothing to do with cinnamon candies or second rate anything- it is and never was a "poor man's" opium -not even close. The dry depth and unique unmistakable signature chord is gone. The complexity is gone. If you mix a bit of Rabanne's long discontinued La Nuit with the new crappy version of Cinnabar, you can get a hint of what it was-but only a hint. This is just not a little tweaked- it has been scrapped, dumped, and re-invented. This is the pod-person version of a fume- a pod-perfume? Hmmmm....

Ruthe
Ruthe

Smells very warm and spicy - like cloves and oranges - a good alternative if you normally wear Shalimar, or Coco - or even Jo Malone's black cafe vetyver

Siv55
Siv55

Christmas pudding on fire. Very strong. I like it but am too self-concious of how dated it smells to wear it.

Natalie467
Natalie467

Hot, spicy and alluring. I love this, reminds me a lot of Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant except Cinnabar dries down drier and with incense. Didn't like the Cinnabar at first, but after going in a spicy direction this winter I've come to really appreciate the oriental spicy perfumes. Plus lately I've been loving incense notes, Cinnabar really fit the bill!

Will be putting this in the vault for next fall & winter.

Convict13
Convict13

It's a poor mans Opium. I was given this a a present from a friend and I hated it from the very start, perhaps it was just a bad reaction on my skin, but it smelt cheap and nasty.

trolleydolly
trolleydolly

Smells of those reeky joss sticks that students used to burn in their rooms,or incense-scented Christmas candles in church. There's no cinnamon nor spice nor flowers, just a cartload of soporific incense. And it goes on and on and on.

This is incense on steroids. I can do Spellbound, I can do Youth Dew, but I draw the line at the fumes of Cinnabar. I do not want to feel like I am going along with a sillage like a priest swinging a censor.

Cinnabar is nice when you spray it in one light spray. It reminds me so much of Opium, but seems a tad less spicy than Opium. It also lacks the honey-scented drydown and complexity of Opium. I think it's a good perfume for the price, but I think it's obvious that I like Opium better.

nightmyst
nightmyst

Just a quick note. I loved this in vintage, but the reformulated version rather makes me sick. I was so unhappy to make this discovery... Why oh why do they do that to us?!

Vamy69
Vamy69

This is one powerful perfume. I actually like the fact that it is so spicy. I do not think I could carry this off as a signature scent but it is something I would consider wearing from time to time. To me it reminds me a bit of Opium...but more cinnamon-y. It most certainly has some major staying power so I think a bottle of this would last forever as you would only need one or two squirts to last a longgggggggg time!!!!!

NatWeb
NatWeb

For those who like dark smoky scents this is a winner. But be warned it is strong so you can't change your mind midway through. As others have pointed out, it's a stronger version of the brilliant Amber Nude which to my mind is far superior.

SuzSaves
SuzSaves

Cinnabar is one of the few perfumes I can wear that doesn't "turn". I haven't been able to find it in Canada for years. When I wore Cinnabar complete strangers would walk up to me and tell me I smelled wonderful, and want to know the perfume I was wearing.

ccj36
ccj36

Cinnabar was my first grown-up fragrance when I was about 16. (odd choice for a teenage girl, right?) I have tried to keep a bottle on hand ever since. It is a great fall/winter scent. It is definitely heavy and spicy, but when it dries down it is also slightly powdery. The strongest notes to my nose are the orange blossom, cinnamon, and cloves. One spray is ample. I feel like it is a "warm" fragrance, if that makes sense, because it seems to draw people to you. I've yet to wear it where there hasn't been someone say, "Ooh, you smell good!" A wonderful, elegant fragrance.

as i remember, this perfume is a heavy spicy scent that calms down into a smooth sexy rich aroma that lasts and lasts. mmmm i'll always remember the nights wearing this luxurious perfume. those were the days. i'll be looking this one up again. i always loved the name of this too.

My sample vial of vintage CINNABAR bears a wearer's advisory warning: Strong! (thanks BronxBeauty!) And, indeed, this is another pot liquor perfume from Estee Lauder bearing an unmistakeable resemblance to YOUTH DEW and YOUTH DEW AMBER NUDE, not only in viscosity and color, but also general demeanor. In fact, it's probably safe to say that if you like one, you'll like all, and if you find any of these utterly unbearable, then you may feel the same about the others as well.

Ever the contrarian, I, however, find CINNABAR quite a bit nicer than the YOUTH DEWS. I am pleasantly surprised that this creation is less cinnamony than YDAN and devoid altogether of the tarry myrrh of YOUTH DEW. CINNABAR offers a more balanced presentation of some of the same components but without such a potent dose of the musty attic, catacombic notes.

In all likelihood, what makes this perfume nicer to my nose is the generous amount of tolu balsam and benzoin, which smooth out the wrinkles (literally) and create a slightly creamier base. I'll definitely wear the rest of my vintage sample--which should last quite a while--and then I'll see whether I've developed a hankering a for a full bottle or not.

hollycat
hollycat

I love strong spicy, warm, oriental perfumes but Cinnabar is a bit too much for me. A lot of classics from the eighties are still relevent today and can be worn quite easily. I cant say the same for Cinnabar.

I find it somewhat similar to Youthdew. But Youthdew is rounder, whereas Cinnabar has a harsh sharpness to it that never wanes. Cinnabar is animalic and furry on me, its Tolu balsam note stands out the most on my skin. It really smells like it has civet in there. Surprisingly I dont get much cinnamin. I really thought I would love this scent. I cant say I hate it, but I would never were this out.

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

I wore this way back and it was so warm and fuzzy. I can remember it like it was yesterday. My angora sweaters from The Limited , Cinnabar, football games and lotsa compliments from the boys on how AWESOME I smelled. That was then and this is now. I cant wear it anymore. It stifles me and makes me feel an allergy attack coming on. So sad. Ode to Cinnabar , oh and my high school boyfriend ,lol.

maatgirl
maatgirl

Cinnabar: as others have said here, it is the perfect Christmas fragrance. Sensual and spicy, redolent of frankincense and amber, it somehow seems warmer and more friendly than Youth Dew, Opium or Tabu (all of which I also love) and thus --in small quantities, at least--a good choice for daytime, especially when the days are cold, dark, rainy and short. It reminds me of the clove and orange pomanders I used to make with my mother and put in holiday centerpieces: the mix of spice and fruit--is there anything better?

One anecdote: Yesterday was pajama day at the school where I teach, and I had on Cinnabar. At the end of the day, my vice principal came to wish me a happy holiday and she complimented my fragrance...she said it suited me. I am a very happy person if something as lovely and radiant as Cinnabar suits me!

Finally, this is the one time of year when a Cinnabar lotion is available...with a generously sized EDT, and for less than $50. Grab it, oriental lovers...you'll be glad you did!

empressevie
empressevie

Ooooooh yeah, this is my style of perfume. A really strong, exotic range of notes, developing into a very sexy, female fume. Perhaps it could last longer, because on me it doesn't smell as long or as strong as I'd like, but this is a very sensual, I'm here concotion.

Fragaria

This is very strong but it's sure a nice smell. I like cinnamon and you can sure smell it in this but I think it's the incense I love. It's kind of an exciting scent, almost like wearing a blindfold! This must be a one spray scent? How do you decide where to put this one spray? I think the owner of this should be experienced!

nancy948
nancy948

When I go out and want that sexy scent, this is my go to! There is nothing old lady about men always being taken by your scent and asking what are you wearing.
All men young and old have always approached me and could not resist my scent. Totally awesome!
There is nothing else to say........:)

TankGirl
TankGirl

The perfect Christmas perfume, it is definatly (as lots of people said here) in the same group of Obsession, Youth Dew and Opium, but I think this one is my favourite. Obsession is too sharp, Youth Dew its to strong and Opium its not what it used to be anymore. I love it from the top notes until the drydown, it has lots of balance. Really warm, confy and sexy perfume. I think they should do a bottle who suit the beauty of this perfume, because I never payed attention to it because the bootle looks so boring and cheap.
A favourite anyway 5*

Cinnabar is one of those strong, bold and spicy orientals that emerged along with YSL's Opium and Chanel's Coco way back in the 80's. At the time they were all the rage, however these days they've fallen out of fashion and tend to get labelled as 'old lady' scents.

I have a great appreciation for these sillage monsters. They may have been made long before I was born, however I find them incredibly hypnotising.

Cinnabar at first spray is incredibly strong, like a fierce punch to the face. I thought my nose was going to fall off as I felt my eyes water with its strength.

As the scent settled, I began to find the resemblance to Opium. I expected this fragrance to have a stronger cinnamon note, however I do believe Cinnabar was named after a mercury ore, so perhaps it is not supposed to be primarily cinnamon.

The scent is very complex and rich, which is both a pleasing and disappointing quality in my opinion. In a way there is too much going on in this fragrance's composition with particular notes clashing with one another. For this reason, I tend to prefer Youth-Dew over Cinnabar as my spicy oriental choice.

Cinnabar has a rather exotic charm, it's what I imagine an ancient Chinese temple to smell like. The touch of incense in the base, gives Cinnabar that slightly religious feel.

While I would never term a fragrance 'old lady', I must say that Cinnabar is for a more mature crowd. I just can't imagine a woman under the age of 30 wearing this, especially since soft ambers and fruity florals dominate this age group these days.

sweetcookie

Actually, Truffles, while Cinnabar has some similarities to Youth-Dew- I think Tabu is closer to the latter. Cinnabar,IMHO,is brighter(despite Youth-Dew'ssporting of sldehydes)than the other two and cinnamon-y, more balanced, also, I think. Tabu and Youth-Dew sre darker-both in color and spirit-Youth-Dew being a "serious" sort and Tabu, the soiree queen. Not at all bad, mind you, just different. Though Cinnabar is my alltime favorite, (can't you tell), I'd wesr either Tabu or Youth-Dew in a pinch.(Strangely, Youth-Dew reminds me of those big, soft molasses cookies by Archway-don't know why. Maybe because they're a serious cookie? LOL)

It's Youth Dew!
My Mum used to wear Youth Dew all the time and she thinks so too.
Very strange for EL to bring out the same perfume in two different bottles with two different names!

KalteStern
KalteStern

Nobody smelled very floral in the late seventies, it was very much the era of the big booming chypres - all my friends wore Opium, Cinnabar, Mystere, or Mitsouko. The whole intent was to announce your presence from at least 15 feet away. Cinnabar was for those who found Opium too sweet or cloying - and although Estee Lauder is not very fashionable, this is still a great scent for those who like spices, resins and sandalwood but do not want anyone to think of hippies and joss sticks. Very, very strong, and literally lasts for hours after one quick puff. Oddly, men who wear spicy fragrances, such as my husband who still uses Aramis, seem to be barely aware of it, as others reel choking from the neighbourhood. So if you are not sure whether to risk this for an intimate occasion, take your cue from your partner; if he or she is also using a spicy rather than a floral or citrus scent, it's worth risking it. People who like this really love it, as being the ne plus ultra of this family of fragrances

guest_BOYITSGOOD
guest_BOYITSGOOD

I love the fact of this scent standing the test of time,and still having it's own persona. For me it is a pretty fragrance and not one to be compared at all with Opium, as Opium smell's like OLD SPICE- LOVE THE CINNABAR- Im a 39 year old male, so be bold girls try it.
sexy, rich, and mix's well in a winter setting

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

This is crazy strong, but a beautiful classic Oriental. If you are brave enough to try it, don't wear it in an enclosed area...and just a dab will do you. If you don't hose yourself down with it, the oils in this perfume come out beautifully and are very spicy and sexy. There is also a complete comfort factor related to this that is most likely induced by the slight gourmand spices used, such as cinnamon and cloves. A very interesting fragrance that I hope is never discontinued. It reminds too many people of their mothers! :)

patriciaenola
patriciaenola

I love Cinnabar - its the incense in it and the spice - has anyone any recommends for me - I used to like Shalimar and Mitsouko but they seem to have departed from the shelves - does anyone know if there is some available in the UK - I find the USA transport charges are horrendous

roos1000
roos1000

Cinnabar is me! People know me by my perfume. I wear it since i worked for Estee and I never liked anything better. I do have an original perfume, but because I know it is harder to get evry year, i am not wearing it too much anymore!

MimilovesBritney
MimilovesBritney

I think I like this perfume just because when I smell it, it's my mother that I think of lol:) I really like it, and I remember whenever she would get ready for an evening out, this is what she wears:) I probably wouldnt wear it myself, but it seems very sophisticated and glamorous.

9154mf
9154mf

Oh dear! one dab of this and I nearly passed out! This is so strong! I love YSL Opium which is a strong scent and still I find this to be much stronger, although I must say these 2 have something in common. Its a well blended scent but the patch and incense is too overpowering, I can hardly tell there is peach and rose in this through all those spices! Great to try but I can safely put this to bed!

guest_piazza dei signori
guest_piazza dei signori

I wore this when i was younger, loved it dearly and abbandoned it for many years. The smell didn't change, which is a good thing. This time i like it better like a lost love found again. The word that comes to my mind is syrop. Reminds me of Konstantinopol traditional syrop-y sweets. Bewildering. Staying power descent enough to be close to you the right amount of hours. It combines the syrop-y sweetness with that exceptional dry feeling that gives the perfume seriousness. I don't know how it does this, but it succeds. Price affordable. I don't know how you can hundle to pull this off during summer, 'cause traditionally heavy scents don't come along with the heat, but with a "light hand" maybe you' ll manage. I personally don't want to miss it for the "holocaust" that is summer in mediterranean countries. It gives me such a sense of familiarity, of something well known and lived in, that i appreciate it more now than ever. I like it because it's serious, important in it's way, brings in mind environments with heavy, classic furniture or a mass in the church 'cause of the incence. That is my personal opinion. I remember mostly the high quality commercials of Estee perfumes and specifically Karen Graham, a model i admired since early adolecsence. A perfume beyond ephemeral fashions. It's really a worthy, classic gift to yourself.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Patchouli rules this spicy Oriental-if I could love patchouli, I would like this....If I could like patchouli, this would be fine! The patchouli hits within 2 minutes, so the initial spice-rack-spritz passes all of its allure immediately. Much stronger than Opium, deserves its reputation. The spice version of Tabu-no hoo-ha here, just strong hot dry spicy woodiness, but-smells rather stale. One spray can be too much-it seems a bottle will turn before it should be completely used up....

Sissi
Sissi

This is in my Opinion a lighter
less pungent version of Giorgio Of Beverly Hills Red. the opening starts
with Delectable spices oranges jasmine
orange blossom and it dries down to a
variety of woods this is good warm
scent for a cold day.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

This will forever remind me of my high school years in the mid-eighties! We were all Estee freaks. My friends Liz and Cindy wore this and it smelled great on them. I couldn't quite pull it off and I felt like the burned cinnamon quality lingered on my skin a bit too long and never really changed on me. It reminds me of winter and spicy, cold, bundle-up weather...While going out and being "bad girls!"

Caro
Caro

Cinnabar is my signature fragrance! I admit I'm a woman "of a certain age"though, and I can understand why younger women would not care to wear this. It's really an older woman's perfume: spicy, rich, intense, not a gamine's light, modern, unisex floral--thank God! We sophisticated woman would prefer not to smell like a geranium or a salad!

Jinalda
Jinalda

I took a sample of Cinnabar as fast as I noticed it in our local store. I liked it immediately on the paper strip and quickly sprayed it on my wrist. I thought “oh… that is something very interesting, something bitter, and there is a cinnamon, and it has some vintage elegance in it”. I liked it so much that dared to spray it on the neck (the final test before buying), ‘cause I was almost convinced that Cinnabar would be my next buy.
And the title – my mother who is an artist would appreciate it ;)

But in an hour almost everything disappeared except the cinnamon. And that was not it’s best embodiment. That was a big surprise to me ‘cause I always liked the cinnamon scent for the cozy feeling it creates. But this time it was somewhat freshed-up cinnamon. I don’t mean that I like to smell like cinnamon bun, but I expected something more interesting from the combination of cinnamon, amber, benzoin and vanilla.The cinnamon that I received was very boring, and I just didn’t know where to get myself from it. It caught me up every time I tried to run away from it. The strong wind couldn’t put it off me, only a hot shower helped.

Well, not my cup of Estee Lauder tea again.) Got to settle another search campaign!

Jeannine
Jeannine

I have heard about this quite often but am ashamed to say today is the first time I tried it. And I have to say while it is interesting, slightly animal and not entirely unsexy, it is way too strong for me. It is actually pretty harsh. In the top notes, I was hit by spices, cloves, bergamot, and a hint of tangerine, while the orange blossom stayed somewhat subdued on my skin and didn't soften the blow. The middle notes were dominated by the cinnamon; and the base notes, on my skin, drowned in patchouli and incense. So while I can imagine it being great on some women, it did not do wonders on me.
The perfume reminded me of my childhood in the eighties, of strong women with big shoulder pads, legwarmers and dyed perms, who didn't seem to take crap from anyone; very early Madonna. It somewhat lacks subtlety though and although I am defintiely more a woodsy spice kind of gal than a floral-lover, this was a bit much.
I totally see, though, why it would attract fans. A very sensual, unique fragrance.

shelpen
shelpen

Ah! This one was almost perfect until the base: tolu balsam + incense gave out a strange but unmistakable note of tire burnining.
It is true: the smell is strong, exotic and warm...just like a burn tire. :)

sweetcookie

Everyone who wears scents usually has one that totally captivates them, and Cinnabar is mine. For me, this glorious concoction, (Estee's very best), is the embodiment of the winter holidays, warm and joyous, right down to the red cap, and is as exotic as the eponymous mercury compound.
The opening brings a whiff of spice, a bit of peach and tangerine, a jolt of cloves- not totally unlike a holiday dessert table, complete with spicy cakes and pies, fruit bowls, and warm wine adorned with clove-studded oranges.
You then begin to smell the presence of (red) carnations, the sweet jasmine, and the wonderful sroma of cinnamon found in many a Christmas cookie. How festive can a perfume get?
But wait, stay around for the finale, which brings with it the exotic, courtesy of the amber, patchouli, and, especially. the incense, and the homey touch of vanilla. Quite a combination, and I just adore it.
One of the best things about Cinnabar os it leaves a lasting impression, just as all those warm, inviting holiday get-togethers do. Thanks for the memories, EL!

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

I wore this all the time in the eighties. I was I confess, rather heavy-handed with it - we took pleasure in being able to knock out a room with our scent in those days! As a result I think this kind of oriental got a bad rep - don't blame Cinnabar, it's a lovely warm and seductive fragrance and I still wear it in the evening - used with a little restraint it's gorgeous.

Flybethy
Flybethy

This is the fragrance my best friend first wore when we were teenagers, a very unusual choice. But as she is dark and exotic looking it was perfect. I could not wear it, it is always her but I loved how warm, spicy, rich it was.

mrolfhus
mrolfhus

I bought this to get the make-up special value with a fragrance purchase (I used to love Pleasures but my body chemistry changed and now it makes me gag). I didn't like it when I first put it on, but as it developed I kinda grooved to it. It IS a more mature scent, but it has its place.

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

The name Cinnabar sounds delicious...though to me, the aroma or rather, odor, was far from it. Too strong. Waaaay too strong for me. The spice was overly done. I just now looked at the notes, and they look harmless enough (even quite refreshing)...but it didn't smell like anything the notes implied, at least not on me. I don't know. Maybe the bottle was really old.... because it smelled more like old perfume mixed with gasoline to me. =( I must have a strange chemistry...

exciter76
exciter76

I'm not a huge fan of oriental fragrances but this is one of my favorites. Reading other reviews I feel maybe this is a favorite for me (and possibly others who feel as I do) because I'm not partial toward oriental fragrances. I might even call this fragrance a 'superficial' oriental because it lightly touches upon the elements that qualify it as an 'oriental' yet it contains the overpowering strength of an 'oriental'.

Yes, my mother did wear this one back in the day (the 1980s) and quite possibly I enjoy it as a homage to her.

classic
classic

My mother used to wear this one in the 80s. I liked the spicy top notes originally but some ingredient has always given me a dreadful headache; not common to me with perfumes. I'm practically allergic to it.

ineedavktion
ineedavktion

I was looking in the mall tonight for something spicy and warm. I stopped to smell Spellbound and thought it smelled like cinnamon and cloves, when the sales lady asked if I had ever tried Cinnabar. Hadn't...so tried it...and glad that was over with. I probably should have let it dry down a little more, but first whiff and yucky. Just not my style.

katyas
katyas

This was my first "grown up" and "expensive" perfume that I bought for myself. As far as I know, I still have some of it left back out at my folks' place. I really liked it - I remember enjoying how spicy it was. It has been so long - I wonder if I would still like it?

hibernia
hibernia

I have had 2 bottles.Everyone raved about Opium which did nothing for me.Cinnabar was THE one for me in the spicy oriental range. I would get it again.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

This was my mother's signature scent in the early 1980's. People call it Opium's poor relation, and I understand why, but I think it stands nicely on its own. Cinnabar definitely highlights the cinnamon note, unlike Opium, where cinnamon is one note among many. I like to think of Cinnabar as the daytime version of Opium. A little cleaner and drier, a little less challenging, it works better as a daytime fragrance, especially in winter.

margierose
margierose

Not a favorite Estee Lauder fragranceof mine. I find this one a bit strong as I found her Youth dew fragrance. However if you love Cinnamon,this will definitely be a hit with you so try it.

cognac
cognac

I hadnt untill now noticed that i have a thing for cinnamon fragrances.:)
This is a heavy and expensive perfume.
IT has a place to worn to.The amber ,vanilla and incense and frankinsence does give it a very middle eastern persona.
I bought this on my first trip to the UAE and when ever i spray this on my skin it takes me back to the middle east and the wonderful holiday i had there.
love this perfume and enjoy wearing it.

Smauglius
Smauglius

For me it has much less cinnamon than Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant or Tigre, Givenchy Organza Indecence, Hermes Ambre Narguile. My nose identifies no cinnamon which would make this fragrance a cinnamony fragrance. Unfortunately .......

PR
PR

I expected something different I tink, the only thing which justified my expectations was the warmness of the scent. It wasn't for me as sickening and pronounced as Luten's Rousse cinnamon ( and as one-dimentional), but I didn't like it anyway. It reminded me the smell of old closet, or kitchen's cabinet, old too, with lots of spices and stuff of uknown origins leaving their traces of smell and mixing in the dark of the drawer.
I sprayed it on a paper strip, I was scared to spray it on myself. After and hour, in a car, we felt the sickly sweet cinnamonish smell and my husband asked me if I took that 'horrible sample' (referring to Rousse), when I found in my pocket the strip sprayed with Cinnabar..I couldn't leave it anywhere near myself

just to add , I think I'd rather stick to my beloved Hermes Elixir des Merveilles, and everything with merveilles on the bottle from Hermes..

BitterOrange
BitterOrange

I like this until the later stages when the patchouli comes to the fore on me - Cinnabar really suits me up till that point, then it goes all wrong.

sweetcookie

Cinnabar- WOW! My slltime favorite scent- so warm, exciting, exotic. I love the spice, the incense, the orange blossom, and I get compliments galore. Some say it's too strong, and it is powerful, but it's sooooooooooooo delicious.

guest_Jade
guest_Jade

I love this perfume! It smells amazing on me, something in my body chemisty alters the scent. I wear this almost every single day.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

While I like Cinnabar, it's associated with horrible childhood memories. I could never wear it, but it does smell nice on others.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder 3.69 out of 5 based on 736 ratings and 161 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Cinnabar fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Cinnabar, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cinnabar by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cinnabar by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.