Designers » D E » Chypre Floral « Groups

Knowing Estée Lauder for women
dislike

I have it: 686 I had it: 530 I want it: 342 My signature: 19

Knowing Estée Lauder for women Videos Knowing Estée Lauder for women Videos

Knowing is a warm and elegant woodsy scent for a sophisticated and self-confident woman, a woman of 1990's.
The top notes begin with the floral freshness of mimoza, pittosporum, sweet rose and tuberose, combined with sparkling fruty notes of plum and melon. There are floral notes mingling with a sweet woodsy note of patchouli and iris and spicy clove and laurel. The chypre base includes precious woods (sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli), oakmoss and civet.
The perfume was created by Jean Kerleo 1988.

Aldehydes Mimosa Coriander Tuberose Melon Plum Green Notes Rose

Orange Blossom Bay Leaf Patchouli Orris Root Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Cedar Cardamom

Spices Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Civet Orris Root Oakmoss Vetiver

L'Arte di Gucci
Soir de Lune
Aromatics Elixir

Knowing Fragrance Reviews

viewdemonde

I once knew an enormously attractive, no-nonsense, modern, outgoing, assertive young woman for whom this perfume was her signature. Enough said.

Tessla
Tessla

HOLY PROJECTION, BATMAN!!

Ok, it's a lovely, lovely fragrance... but.... I put one teensy spritz on a tester. I waved it around till it was dry and put it into my purse.

I removed it from my purse. My purse is now Knowing. Likely for the rest of its existence.

A two and a half hours after spraying the tester, I waved the strip more than a foot from my adult son's nose in the other side of the house. "Whew! TOO STRONG!" was his instant reaction, followed by, "It smells good, but... whew! Takes the top of my head off."

Three hours later, my entire bedroom is now Knowing.

My father headed for the bathroom down the hall from my bedroom. He stopped in his tracks, his head wrinkling, and looks towards me at my computer desk, where the strip is lying, a good 12-15 feet away. "What's that perfume?" he says. "I hope you didn't pay much for it. It's waaay too strong."

So, hmm. Lovely scent, but just TOO MUCH for me and everyone around me. Though, as my son laughingly pointed out, it would be an extremely economical buy, because I could apply the stuff with a toothpick. In one spot.

But honestly, with the strength of the cloud that enfolds me from a 1/4" square spot on a piece of paper a foot away? Even a toothpick dab might be excessive.

smellysmellerson
smellysmellerson

WOW! Just,wow. Upon first sniff I cried "Divas!" out loud and waved my hand in the air. I was at the Estee Lauder counter at the Bay department store.

This is a wonderful fragrance from beginning to end. If you're afraid of aldehydes and oakmoss I think this is a good example of how amazing those notes can be.

On my skin this opens with a fragrance horn of plenty comprising plums, spice, wood,and civet. The bay leaf gives it a certain unique character in the opening. It's subtle, but I think it gives that "expensive" touch that I read in other people's reviews.

Perfectly balanced between yin and yang. The strength to endure hard times and going limp in the arms of a lover this perfume is for a well rounded self aware woman.

The mid notes are fabulously spicy, warm, flowery, and yanked in to the depths of emotion with civet and cedar. The dry down is all about honeyed(amber?) oakmoss, sandalwood, and plumy rose on my skin. There is a gentle greeness that lasts in the background through out the duration of wear, and it get's very balmy and almost salty on my skin.

I can't speak to duration and sillage because I can't stop spritzing my cleavage with it even though I can smell it just fine. I don't care if it's a loud perfume. I LOVE IT!!! I'll probably calm down with the sprays eventually, but my first bottle is gonna go down fast!

It's a very classy, dressy perfume, but I will be wearing this anytime and often.

It's extremely well blended, and I can smell every note!
Knowing, Montana, Cabochard, Dune, Halston, and many other so called 'old lady perfumes' are the reason why I'm happily walking down vintage lane and won't be back for a while.

viewdemonde

A perfume for a young, go-getting, risk-taking, no nonsense yet passionate woman.

heather62
heather62

If Catwoman wore perfume, this would be it.

It's seductive, earthy, girly, stays on - all good.

This is the only perfume that my father, God rest his soul, ever commented on. He loved it every time I wore it around him. For that reason, I will always have some.

But I hesitate to wear this to work. It's a little loud. But sometimes, I just cannot help myself and I wear it to work anyway...

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Knowing is a good - great, perhaps - floral chypre of the late '80s which bears a distinctive fruity-citrus breeze together with a floral feel tending more towards the delicate-soapy-sweet side, all together wrapped around a great, juicy, refined rose accord. All the "dark side" is there too - benzoin, civet, oak moss, aldehydes - but overall, at least for the first couple of hours, Knowing is as much carnal as lively, carrying a subtle sort of fizzy, invigorating and graceful spring feel. Which is enough to make it stand out of the crowd of chypres; not a gourmand but lightly fruity and sweet, not a "femme fatale chypre" but with all it needs to smell feminine, sensual and sophisticated enough. And not just a floral scent centered on rose. Plus, the evolution is subtle but really well engineered; after a while, the oak moss note starts to emerge over the sweeter–brighter notes (although it's actually and obviously the opposite way - the lighter notes vanishing), dirtening the overall liveliness with its woody-mossy sour dryness—thus enhancing the gloomier side of rose. A nice twist for sure. A perfect candidate for any "high-quality-chypres" rotation and a must try for rose fans.

Scentmad
Scentmad

Love love love this perfume. It is perfect for cooler days or eveningwear. I have been wearing this on and off since it's launch and I am always surprised when I put it on why I don't wear it more often. It's warm, spicy and really sexy. Easily in my top 20 perfumes of all time. One of the best EL ever made.

lindafoley58
lindafoley58

Quiet simply - SEXY !!! A very sofisticated fragrance. I have this in a mini form and it is pure perfume and I just love this new fragrance! It slowly evolves and changes like the peals of an onion, layer upon layer.

jake.shouse

I love this but it's really not as heavy as other have said Beautiful wears longer than knowing does on me if i spray only 2 sprays i may get out of it 6 hours at the most than it is very close too the skin. Now if i spray 3 or 4 it will hold on my clothes for days so i just spray a few extra and boy is is loud than LOL. I do think the one perfume that does last forever on me and my mother with maybe just 2 sprays is Cinnabar we love it. I still will always wear and love Knowing it is worth the money nothing smells quite like Knowing. I'm a Estee Lauder lover for life! 10 years and counting. Happy Perfuming my peeps! :) Jacob.

birdy
birdy

real powder a very classe powder! masculine, earty, old, good for cold days, like arabian fragrances with sandalwood, coriander,spices and acid rose that reminds the real smell of rose water! very elegant and rich! but for every day i prefer fashionable new perfumes, fresh and sparkling!

Nurse Feratu
Nurse Feratu

After a 10-year hiatus from this perfume I suddenly had a nostalgic hankering for it and ordered a bottle online, what I received just wasn't the same perfume I'd been wearing and loving since the late '80s. Apparently they had to remove or limit the amount of oakmoss due IFRA restrictions, but in my mind (and nose) that would absolutely not account for the vast difference in the overall scent. Originally, if memory serves me correctly, the complex floral/citrus top and middle notes were much more pronounced and lasted well into the mid to long drydown, even into the next day. Now they evaporate almost as quickly as the alcohol does on my skin! When I first spray it on, it IS the scent I remember, full of sweet velvety flowers, bright citrus, and luscious fruits on top of dense green moss, sharp cedar, and deep smoky patchouli, but within 5 minutes it dries down to a subtle, bare-bones cedar-moss-patchouli essence with barely a hint of flowers. In other words the whole dang thing is gone within 5 minutes! What happened? This used to be such a BIG ol' buxom chypre that sauntered in the room almost before YOU did! Another reviewer here said it right when they said this new juice is "a wimp". I distinctly remember how Knowing would still be pleasantly clinging to my clothes on those yes-I'm-wearing-the-same-outfit-I-wore-yesterday mornings.

spotlights

KNOWING is up there with the very, very best fragrances of all time. It is sheer loveliness in a small bottle.
WHITE DIAMONDS and RED DOOR are very similar, with big, big, all encompassing scents.

Stampinator
Stampinator

Spicy, deep, dark, woodsy, green with some pretty flowers... YUM!!... I absolutly love Knowing. It is deliciously balanced and never has a dull momment on my skin. It is a very warm and enticing - a fragrance that has people coming up to you to tell you how lovely you smell (never a bad thing).

My mother used to wear this one and I always use to sneak a spray or two when I was a child (bit procosious of me)- loved it then - Love it now.

ThatMakesScents

Don't believe the reviews about such a HUGE fragrance. The reformulation is a wimp.

I tried it today and within 20 minutes it was a skin scent.....great smelling fragrance but piss poor performance.

wistfulmaiden

I sniffed this one today at the perfume counter, even though this isn't the kind of perfume I generally like... It was very strong at first but it faded into something that reminded me of my third grade teacher...motherly and earthy and "knowledgable" if you will.
I actually like this scent, but not on me. I don't like tuberose, or oakmoss and sandalwood is very iffy with my chemistry. But it does remind me of a person that I admired so I like to smell it once in a while. I believe that many women can pull this off nicely, Im just not a chypre-type gal.

spotlights

Oh! It has arrived my KNOWING. It is beautiful. Heavy and richly accented by essential perfume oils. Just what I like. I am so pleased.

spotlights

I have ordered KNOWING through Amazon and am awaiting delivery. Will I be pleased with it? I like a very strong, lasting perfume. One that everyone around me can appreciate and comment on.
I do not like these wishy washy ones that are quite and 'barely there'
I love YOUTH DEW, WHITE DIAMONDS and RED DOOR, OBSESSION also.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

Very luxurious fragrance. It's sophisticated, charismatic, for women with unique personality. It lasts long on skin, the oakmoss and tuberose notes mix perfectly with the sandalwood. You become addicted to this one from the first sniff!

kl99
kl99

I remember I read an article in the 80s where Madame Lauder declared that she asked for a perfume that had the perfume of Pittosporum flowers, because that fragrance recalled her some good memories.
I find a piece of Knowing in so many perfumes, that mean probably we are in front of a mile stone , or a perfect concert in perfumery because is indubitably original (a friend of mine said that she feel like she was wearing a man perfume) starting by the name, the shape of the extract bottle, and Paulina Porizkova.. isn't she the most beautiful woman in this world?

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Knowing is woody and spicy sophistication in a bottle. It is the richness of knowledge gained through life experience and is for a woman with a mature soul. Along with Must De Cartier and Coco this is a must in my fall perfume wardrobe. Absolutely love the woody rose!

SolangeN
SolangeN

It's pittosporum bloom season, which reminds me of why I seldom wear this.

Knowing would for me be chypre perfection if it wasn't for the pittosporum note that runs through it.

Pittosporum smells like generic spicy white flowers, but it lacks the greeness of orange blossom or even jasmine. It's beautiful wafting on the wind, which is reportedly where Ms. Lauder first noticed it and tapped it for this fragrance.

But pittosporum gets a bit cloying and heavy up close. As does Knowing for me. On me, its pittosporum note evokes disposable baby diapers fresh out of the package.

Too bad, because the rest of it is one of the most gorgeous honey moss and patchouli combinations out there. Would LOVE for Lauder to release it minus the flower note.

SuadKhamis
SuadKhamis

My mom and I love this perfume so I got it for her on mother's day she was very happy :D I stopped using it cuz it reminds me of her only and I want to keep it special that way <3

Penny Urn'd
Penny Urn'd

I'd like to say that I wore this, but the truth of the matter is that, at that time in my life, Knowing probably wore me.

Looking at the notes, I think it is worth a revisit-- with, perhaps, a more conservative application.

Elviraelbasan
Elviraelbasan

I get o lot of compliments on it ....
at first i din't like it but after "knew' it well i am crasy about it ....a classic one that every woman must have
A little story ....
One day when i was at my office (i was so disapointed after i bought it and decide to use as a room spray for my office) i spraied 2 spritzz , at the same time one of my colleges entered and was complimenting me about it....after some seconds as the other offices doors were opened ,i heard from all my collegues to say whose was that wonderfull parfum that smells so amaizing.
An enourms sillage ,long lasting too .I learned to appriciate it day buy day
Everyone compliments on me when whearing this masterpiece ,young and mature women.
Now i have 3 bottles and uses it in very special occasions
Your parfum collection isn't complete without this beauty!

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

There are perfumes that indicate youth and there are scents that symbolize age but not in a turn-off, depreciative way but admiringly so. Veneration for an ancient soul, surrounded by artefacts of centuries past. Knowing probably would have been worn by Cleopatra. Or Madame de Pompadour. Women of power will a strong will to achieve aims out of reach for ordinary ladies.
Whenever I wear Knowing this aura of importance comes to my mind. I am an ordinary woman, modern and still somewhat old-fashioned. Using the internet but longing for the time when bits and bytes were of no relevance to mankind. Sometimes it feels like my soul is crumbling to pieces like an old book exposed too much to sun and heat but perfumes like Knowing hold my inner self together.
A wonderful classic not as bitter-herbal as Aromatics Elixir and not as pungeant as Cabochard but with the same DNA. Chypre elegance that requires a wearer with a certain personality.
I especially enjoy the base, the drydown. It shows patchouli, honey (the kind I wished was in Paloma Picasso´s signature scent) and musk. If Knowing was a piece of music I dare say it would be as majestic as Bach´s Toccata for organ.
For me Knowing is one of the best scents ever made.

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

Mine arrived today. I quite like it (and I supect I might grow to love it). It's a mature (I say that as a good thing) and confident woman's-or man's-perfume. It smells like a traditional vintage chypre, obviously, very green and mossy, with some spicy notes and a woody drydown. I seem to pick up on the bay leaf, a very culinary plant, and I would not have thought I'd like that, but I do!

kit1982
kit1982

Knowing is one of those perfumes that give you a very nice blanket of aroma. I spray this an hour before a meeting, it then evolves to belong to the classy perfume category together with aromatics elixir and vintage cabochard.

The start of knowing is a fresh and sharp burst of woods and florals. As if you have just taken a shower with the best soap in your bath.

Then comes the best part. After a hour or so, the fresh, after shower feel, then turns into the best floral chypre with sillage that fills an entire room. But the sillage is not that harsh. It is like a consistent whisper rather than a loud scream.

It stays... longer than you expect. Long after you retire for the day.

Many have complimented with this. This and Timbuktu got the most compliments.

Classy, refined, elegant... for the one that knows a lot about good taste.

mymlan
mymlan

A classy and wellbalanced beauty with a strong vintage vibe: the opening is very aromatic before it settles into a rosy chypre. A few years ago I would have fallen head over heels over this fragrance and bought it instantly. But now, when I'm thinking about how often I would wear it and in which situations it will not be the case. It's just too classy and a bit too vintage for me. A perfect rose chypre but not for my wardrobe. Not now anyway.

wistfulmaiden

Don't like this one for myself at all. I have trouble wearing any fragrances with bitter notes t just doesn't feel like "me". This one very strongly reminds me of a teacher or librarian I once had in school I just cant remember the name...definitely a mature fragrance for those who don't need gourmand of sweetly floral.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Sur ma peau il se développe comme un "Mille" de Jean Patou.
La même opulence racée.
J'adore !
Très chic. Par contre à éviter par jours de chaleurs, en ce qui me concerne si il fait trop chaud, ma peau le fait tourner et il devient aussi très entêtant.
Par jours de froids il devient très fourrure chaude et enveloppante.
Je me souviens du slogan en français de Knowing : "Vous seule savez ce qui est important". Bon un peu "j'me la raconte" comme dirait ma fille...hahahahahaha...
Mais c'est vrai que la clientèle visée était la working girl des années 80, travaillant à Manhattan et une ribambelle d'amoureux transis à sa porte.
Les années sont passées mais ce parfum demeure.
Preuve que la cible n'était peut-être pas celle que l'on nous montrait dans la pub TV.
Plutôt la femme épanouie, bien dans ses baskets (talons hauts plutôt) et heureuse de vivre... Alors là !! On en trouve des milliards des nanas comme ça ! Et tant mieux !!! J'en suis....

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

I appreciate big, confident perfumes, which this certainly is, and I like several fragrances from Estee Lauder. For whatever reason, I cannot get into this one. I can't smell the rose at all, and in fact, I have a lot of trouble distinguishing any separate notes, when usually I can pick out a few. If you like chypre-style perfumes and you haven't sampled it, it's worth a try. It knows what it's doing, even if it isn't doing things for me.

bren400
bren400

I KNOW for a fact that this doesn't smell like Paloma because I had them both around the same time ('92) From what I remember, I believe that I liked this one better. I can close my eyes and still recall a bit of a sour, elegant & sophisticated drydown. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I think imma buy a lil bottle just to relive those young girly years :-) For those that haven't sampled it yet, it DEFINITELY worth trying.

jake.shouse

I feel rich and so classy and almost like Karen Walker off will and grace this makes me feel like I am untouchable..... I love this so much and I also love Spellbound they smell alittle alike! But I cant wait till it is cold outside and I can put on my sweaters and my jeans and my hats and my fall/winter scent my Knowing perfume.. I get a Goddess complex with this and Beautiful..... Beautiful is my Signature scent and Knowing Is my fall Signature scent I love it I am GAGA'S over this!

maurissa Cato
maurissa Cato

oh my.....(purrs) lol. This was recommended to me by someone. I wore it to work....I smelt the box and lost my mind. I find this fragrance to sexy in that grown woman kinda way. Lush and expensive.....felt like I owned an Aston Martin collection and a few Victorian Castles in my head when I wore this scent.....It turned heads on a sunny day and caused inquiries at night. Knowing.....I will ever love you. ;-)

lemmenkukka
lemmenkukka

LOVE LOVE LOVE. This a true GEM. I began to wear this just the very year it was launched. This is what a perfume CLASSIC should be - vivid, sophisticated, warm and bold. This and Aromatics Elixir, Eau du Soir, Arte di Gucci, La Perla are on the same stylish line, very similar but still own their own personal character, charisma and story to tell. Men go grazy about this. This is mystique, alluring, bewitching. Always on my wardrobe - for special occations. Also for stenghtening moments when I´m with my own thoughts. Thank you Lauder.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Eight hours later I could still luxuriate in the fumes of this heavily decadent floral chypre. It's not heavy to those around you, unless you spray more than necessary. A light sprinkling is all that's necessary of this beautiful fragrance.
There are many notes to consider and each individual picks up on different ones. But one thought remains constant. This is not a perfume for the weak and languid. It is vibrant, it is bodacious and unrestrained in the aura it suspends around its wearer.
The longer it sits on your skin the warmer the wood notes become. The rose lingers like an intoxicating first deep whiff you've taken from a bouquet-fresh and sweet but not overpowering. The civet flows through thickly for those of us who love our animalistic scents and the patchouli is darkly obsessional.
This is a magnificent chypre that will take you back to silk dressing gowns, bakelite cigarette holders with rhinestones, smoky eyes and the mysterious look of the pencil-eyebrows of the 1930's. Intimidating? Of course. Only in a cock of the eyebrow manner. This is not a sinister perfume. It is a perfume for the strong.
Knowing is a perfect name for this juice. The poised and confident need only apply to wear this power-house. Be prepared for the consequences.

adair58
adair58

A mossy, woody rose of great depth. Soft and alluring when used lightly. There is something melancholy in Knowing, it is hard to define, but I do enjoy it.

What was once a like is turning to love.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Knowing (except it evokes a velvet, the same color as the fluid) is just like Pavlína Pořízková in the commercial.
Natural beauty, mysterious, calming and provocative at the same time. Her "knowing", wise and kind of sad eyes and smile.
Just wish it was more mossy than powdery.

Grottola

So glad I revisited this fragrance. It's a beautiful, rich, warm chypre where the rose literally smells like it's "glowing".

The trick is to go easy on it. One spray from far away (farther away than most fragrances I spray on) is enough to do the job. Too much and the fragrance gets out of control. Bottom line - Knowing is an absolutely beautiful fragrance that I'd love to own someday, but it must be worn with subtlety.

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

I had a sample of this back in the 80s and I never liked it...I was all into Cinnabar and then Beautiful stole my heart. Recently I bought a bunch of vintage minis...I tried this again and ....LOVE IT!!!...The woods in this are green to my nose...It feels like a forest walk...deep woods, dappled sunlight, mossy earth picking a tussy mussy bouquet of delicate lily of the valley as a gentle wind through the trees makes the leaves and fern fronds dance. Apply with a delicate hand as with most Estee Lauder perfumes it is potent...and enjoy.

rachelmary
rachelmary

In the 90s this was my favourite perfume, so classy and I felt like a million dollars. These days it does nothing for me, is it our nose that changes or our skin and how it smells on us? I wonder

angel6
angel6

Ok I had a try of it today, and was really not good, there is too much happening to this perfume, as you can see, there is 25 notes going on and the harmony is not prety, I think is cloying and very 80's sorry not for me.

Cecilita
Cecilita

I had Knowing for years but somehow it does not work for me at all anymore. It is too strong to wear during the day...

an.jorePipip

I got this as my birthday present, it is really nice perfume. Mossy floral that gives you a mood booster, I wear it in the morning and it makes my day. Knowing is one of the classic perfumes that I think everyone should try.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

The original Knowing is an intense, rosy chypre. The other florals are supporting players, but the interplay of the rose and chypre structure is amazing. It manages to pull off a dark/light, forest/garden dichotomy that's definitely got a goth sensibility. Only Magie Noire and Paloma Picasso come close in its intensity. (Oddly enough, I wore this as a teen and don't remember liking either of those at the time, so there is enough of a distinction, at least in my mind...)

Without the mosses and the civet, the new version is unbalanced and overly sweet, with a bitter (but not dark enough!) bite.

joliecat
joliecat

Tried hard to like this one, but it doesn't work for me. The civet, oakmoss, and heavy plum are strong and very very bitter on my skin. I forced myself to wear this all day to see if it would change, but the extreme bitterness stayed right through the drydown. Funny because I have other perfumes with these ingredients that are not bitter on my skin. Must be my chemistry doesn't agree with Knowing.

Super strong perfume with monster silage, lasts until you wash it off. Be careful, use sparingly. Very little goes a long long way.

jake.shouse

Most ppl don't like this bec of its Oakmoss note and strong aldehydes but knowing ppl can't seem too pull off to wear but I can and people stop me or may I say follow me around wanting too know what I am wearing I say Estee Lauder Knowing! I get compliments on all estee lauder perfume i wear Beautiful is my Signature! But i enjoy Beautiful Sheer sometimes and Cinnabar i love Estee Lauder makes the best perfumes!

yuzu22
yuzu22

This is something I wouldn't normally get but it's really nice. Deep and mature but not "stinky". I feel sophisticated when I wear this. It's very woody, spicy, and bright because of the aldehydes.

itsallgood
itsallgood

I haven't worn this perfume in 15 years, but people still ask me, "What was that perfume you used to wear?" Awesome.

jake.shouse

I love floral/Woody/Civet/aldehydes with Oakmoss this perfume is amazing!

jake.shouse

This is a masterpiece it being a very very heavy scent you kinda can't wear it as a everyday scent :( But at the same time I adore and love how Knowing is so unique and not many ppl wear this not in Owensboro Kentucky lol So even tho its nota everyday scent I can't wait till fall so I can wear my KNOWING. Being a guy who wear only women's perfume my boyfriend loves this on me but nothing will ever top Beautiful perfume that is my everyday smell!

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

I am so fortunate to 'knowing' this.
I received a miniature from my friend and I was thinking, 'this must be just like any other strong floral perfume of the eighties... '

Well, I was wrong. This is beautiful. The floral is indeed strong but it is inoffensive, it is sharp but not intrusive, all is just so lovely. Love this, for real!

Chessie1122
Chessie1122

I spent the night in a beautiful bed and breakfast inn out in Massachusetts back in 1997. The lady had a bottle of this on the bathroom shelf and I put some on my wrist before bed without a second thought.
Waking up in the middle of the night, I wondered what was the wonderful smell that was drifting over to my nose? Then I realized, it's the perfume. I had to get up and see what it was. This took me on a journey that ended up with Knowing becoming my signature fragrance for many years. I have moved on but still keep a small bottle so that I always have it. I smell a rich honey scent to this, that nobody else has mentioned so it could be just my nose. Knowing is a great warm, classic and wonderful scent.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

I read my review, and I got to set the reset button. I'm really upset at myself for letting preconceived notions about who should and shouldn't wear this sultry and fascinating bombshell.

"Knowing" is too glamorous, dark and magical to let the iron maidens of the world take control of it's wearing rights. If you find Knowing so captivating you need to possess it, youre half there.

"Knowing" is not to be worn on a casual whim; it must be loved and well understood by it' wearer. To know Knowing is to wear it well.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

A masterpiece. Just another reason Estee Lauder is among the greatest of the large corporate houses. They have managed over time to pull off a prolific number of creations, one after the other. But that's only commendable when you consider their dedication to craftsmanship and attention to making each fragrance a quality finished product.

And as much as I love Knowing, It just doesn't fit me as I see myself. The "Knowing" lady is a serious woman that means buisness-coiffed hair, pearls and pumps. I am an escapist flower child with a long mass of hair in tennies.
I can rest assured, as EL's model for Knowing is wearing my gold bracelets:)

Nicole79
Nicole79

Knowing is such a great fragrance, with strong personality, in the same class with another 2 masterpicies as COCO and Magie Noir ( the old version)...
Knowing is for strong women , very sensual and a bit dark!
Very good sillage, a light spritz please! since it's also very strong and very long lasting for sure !
I trully like it and if I,ve had it, i would wear it with pleasure !

Sofy888
Sofy888

Warm, elegant, deep and sensual.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Knowing by Estee Lauder is a single minded scent.

It has a clear and determined idea of where it wants to be and it’s damn well going to get there.

Opening with a minor avalanche of sparkling insecticide aldehydes, overflowing oakmosses are next, beating out a baseline with dark patchouli that will last the entire tune through.

The melody itself is carried from the off by a charming, slightly dry, somewhat spicy rose that is filled out in the heart by a string section of white flowers with some support from attendant aromatics.

The long dry down, so typical of this house, sees a smoky vetiver take up the letitmotif and the animalics, that have been harmonising so prominently play a subtle solo or two.

And here’s the thing, to the wearer, with the close to the skin rose note forever at hand, the whole symphony makes sense, once it’s modern take on classic theme is understood.

But to unschooled noses a little further away a misconception might form that this is a brittle, bitter and little too forthright fragrance.

It is nothing of the sort.

Knowing is a triumph of structure and strength: a modern rose with impeccable, if pruned back, floral chypre credentials.

*************

Some scents one has a sense a man could wear in this case one just knows he could.

This is a concise version of the review to save space on the database, for the full article have a look at my webpage.

fragrancelover
fragrancelover

Another "mature" scent from Estee Lauder, but if you use a light hand, it is beautiful.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I picked this up at the store, to sniff the cap. There was fragrance on the bottle, so my hand was scented when I put the bottle down--it smelled like I had just shaken the leathery hand of a heavy smoker. I have definitely confirmed that I am NOT a fan of heavy patchouli, I think the oakmoss does not agree with me either.

crikat
crikat

When this perfume was introduced I found it screechy and strong.
Things change.
Got it last Christmas. There's still an aldehyde slap at the opening, but with a white-gloved hand. In a well-appointed drawing room, oakmoss, spices & rose chat with cardamom, coriander and patchouli, while the white flowers make their presence known from the garden beneath the window. Civet wanders through, raising her tail. Melon & plum wind in and out of the conversation, then Lady Amber enters the room, stooping to stroke the cat.
When I don't know what to wear, I wear Knowing.
When I need the Aromatic Armor, I choose Knowing.
I go 'round and 'round with my dozen or so other frags, but I keep coming back to this one...such a beauty!

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I love how my olfactory taste has evolved since I started on my fragrance journey. Once upon a time, I would have wrinkled up my nose in distaste at this chypre powerhouse but now I absolutely adore my vintage bottle of Knowing. Oakmoss, a dirty undertone (not skanky dirty, dirty as in damp, rich, herbaceous earth with some animalic note thrown in), aldehydes, green and floral notes pack a hefty punch in this perfume. Just a little spray goes a very long way for a long time even to my perenially allergic rhinitis-plagued nose. If I had a blind smell-test, I would confidently guess that this was an 80's masterpiece, it's so vivacious. A bold and beautiful perfume, not for the fainthearted. She doesn't simper and blush. She will size up Casanova on the spot with one knowing look and sail right past him.

erikalee
erikalee

very mature scent, my signature !!

I am intrigued by this fragrance. To me, it smells of cigarette smoke, fresh woods, mosses, flowers, and a dash of spice. It is like a vintage powerhouse, mellowed out by time, wafted over by cigarettes. Not sweet tobacco, more like exhaled smoke. And yet, I am still intrigued. I have never been a fan of that mysterious cigarette smoke note, or whatever might be causing it, but here, it is subtle and seems to belong. This fragrance says, "take me seriously". I love the Estee Lauder house, their scents always impress me.

tourmali45
tourmali45

Aldehydes combined with plum and hefty dose of coriander and a touch of rose. There is a woody support of the whole structure, but it's indistinct and serves as a lever to give the whole composition some grounding weight. The oakmoss here is lovely, rounded and delightfully appropriate as well as civet. In the middle stage there are some flowers, but browsing through the notes in the pyramid, I can't say I detect any of those, at least not a single flower is strong enough to stand out, they all blend in nicely.

It's a city scent for me, with a huge potential of lending some force and assurance to its wearer. I don't think 'Knowing' has 90-s stapled on it, for me it feels timeless, a true classic.

talamantra
talamantra

One of 5 my favorite all time the perfume ( La Perla La Perla , Coco EDP Chanel , Yveese YSL , Feminite du Bois Shiseido )
Perfume intense individual unique
Very long lasting
Sillage enormous fills a room
Dominant notes : Cardamom Patchouli Plum Sandalwood White Flowers
I have a basic perfume from 1998 until this day
The women who are independent, unpredictable, inconsistent
for the woman who lives for challenges. for the woman who knows how to charmed others and causes

jake.shouse

This a Gem too have i perfer white florals but this perfume i love reguardless that is is different i love knowing!

jake.shouse

I love the oakmoss in this perfume... always get told i smell good and i say it's Knowing!

Freedom7
Freedom7

I've worn knowing since 1993. I've tried lots and lots of other perfumes but this is my signature perfume. I love it! Every time I wear it I can guarantee that people will comment and at least one will go out and buy it for themselves. I've smelled it on other people and I don't always like it on them or even recognise it. That's the thing with perfume it mixes with your own natural scent and that's what makes it special to you.

noori
noori

I smelled most (but not all) of Estée Lauder's perfumes (that is, the ones they still sell in my country). After many, many trying, I can safely say that Knowing is my favourite from this company, and favourite chypre as well.

It is a strong, elegant and "old-fashioned" scent, but in the best way, I think. It is clean, but not in a fragile, light flowery style, rather a self-conscious, "Knowing" way. It is very rich, and maybe unpleasant, if someone is looking for a feminine, softer floral, but I would recommend it to anyone who looks for a fantastic chypre.

VampLady
VampLady

Such a glorious perfume!

A perfect scent for a goddess.

cookiedais
cookiedais

If you are shy and retiring then forget it ! This scent is loud , bold and yet at the same time sophisticated . A woody floral that is strong and long lasting .

I like it on others but it is too much for me .

I could imagine Madonna or Anna Wintour wearing this , applied with a heavy hand leaving people trailing in their wake !
And of course they would say just deal with it , okay ?!

Lebaneseperfumelover
Lebaneseperfumelover

This has been a much loved perfume of mine for years and years. It is very strong and heady, but I enjoy wearing it. I find it sophisticated and elegant, a perfume for a very confident woman. It reminds me of wonderful evenings and parties with friends and I particularly enjoy wearing it for formal evenings out, especially in the winter time. Perfect for the opera or ballet.

cecyben
cecyben

This fragrance is one of the most powerful that I know. HUGE LONGEVITY AND TREMENDOUS SILLAGE !!! Absolutely gorgeous perfume ! I love it too much !!! One of my favorites ! Excellent work Jean Kerleo !

ThatMakesScents

Review is for the current formulation :

Considering the ingredients and price $78 for a 2.5 oz EDP I should be going crazy for this stuff.

After running over to Bloomingdales and spraying myself the excitement faded.

You get the dry bitter floral chypre with the oakmoss and vetiver but with only a little depth and A LOT of synthetics. As an EDP this goes on just a tad stronger than what is being marketed as an EDT these days. I haven't noticed any sillage out of this but there is SOME longevity but as usual these days very light and very close to the skin.

I need to compare this to Guerlain MItsouko only because I recently purchased it and fell in love with it. KNOWING in the current formulation will never come close to the richness depth and sillage that Mitsouko EDP provides.

Knowing might be ok if you are on a budget or can find a vintage juice but Mitsouko is THE chypre that you want.

diego.lesgart
diego.lesgart

My mom loves it! Smells like a sophisticated drink. So similar to P.Picasso, and L Art Gucci. I mean exactly them

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

An amalgam of all the best chypres, and more than the sum of its parts, Knowing is among Kerleo's best creations and Lauder's finest releases. Only the most minute dab of the vintage parfum or edp is ever needed to bask in this glorious scent all day long complete with alluring sillage; oh Lauder's glorious economy of scent, as Knowing could be a great Patou with ease or could pass for Caron or vintage Dior at four times the price.

The rose chypre par excellence, this rose is dry and evil, seductive but menacing and grim. The odd fruits are Dionysian offerings, nothing ripe or sweet about them. Knowing is witchy but overtly 90s working woman austere. The Paulina Porizkova commercial from the early 90s portrays a time much like today's: full of upheaval, solemnity, uncertainty, goofy as the ultimate fall into solipsism in the ad is. Knowing is just another perfume, but when I wear it, its strength, boldness, seeming olfactive translation of staring difficulty right in the face and prevailing, gives me a kind of solidity and feeling of steely grace. Knowing is somewhat industrial, sky scrapers and platform heels, but the oakmoss and civet keep on whispering about witchy secrets and sex. There is a divinity and untouchable simplicity to how absolutely right Knowing is when used very sparingly: hours of style and mystery.

alchimia72
alchimia72

I tested this fragrance this summer in a shop. I find it really too strong for me. I don't know which notes or combination of notes I don't like but maybe it doesn't work with my chemistry. In a word: overwhelming.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

Boy, I feel stupid!! I am NOT mistaken; I have fallen hard for Knowing; for the moment I would gladly drop most of my Orientals if not all my florals only to be able to keep this EL treasure. Problem is I was soo eager to test and enjoy as many scents as possible during my first whirlwind tour of Macy's; I left obsessed with two Estee Lauder beauties. That night, I found a close, reasonable vendor selling Knowing and I bought it without a second thought. Three days later I was generously spritzing myself with Knowing. It was so nice to experience it without the other scents competing for my attention, except now I realized it lacked the foresty, Magie-Noir like arrangement in the dry down. Did some reading concerning the sequence of notes convinced myself the mystery fragrance had to be Aliage. Head back to Macy's. I test Aliage again...nope-this isn't it. I tell the saleslady the fragrance I am scouting out has a grouping of notes that reminds me of Lancome's MN. Based on that, she thinks I'm looking for Azuree. I'm already thrilled because I love the elegant bamboo stalk design of the bottle-and I think it's bigger!!A couple of generous sprays later I'm convinced....
So now TWO must-have EL fragrances!! I now wonder why it has taken me so long to discover Estee' Lauder. The obvious creative genius and attention to quality
combine to offer one of a kind, iconic fragrances at the very least, equal in every way to offerings of French couture houses.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

I can't believe I never, ever had the opportunity (or inclination ) to try this fascinating scent before yesterday. After trying on a whole slew of scents I have been interested in, Knowing is the only one I have not been able to stop thinking about. It is so elegant and evokes memories of following the path through the pine forest near my home in the late afternoon just before dusk. I smell the moss growing on the giant rocks, scattered by giant glaciers, the roots of saplings grasping for a chance to be reunited with the sun. Elegant fiddle-leaf ferns and lady slippers at home in the dark pine woods that suddenly opens up into a meadow seperated by stone walls and rows of tall arching trees. The sumptious moist rose aroma lends a sweetness that makes Knowing a very womanly sophisticated fragrance. The drydown on me is quite similar to vintage Magie Noir, which I wore and love and have been desperately wanting to purchase again. Sadly, the reformulation has deterred me from that, but I think Knowing could happily take its place in my collection!!

CastoR&Pollux
CastoR&Pollux

downright sexy - right - that is what i think too..

damn downright sexy and sesual

an.jorePipip

I had a chance to test this fragrance on my wrist, I like it instantly...mean really like it! On me, it resembles to Azzaro pour Homme but much more intense, surely be my next target to purchase!

Espi
Espi

upon reading CozyCat's review I burst out into laughter as it is such a vivid description.
To my nose, Knowing is a friendlier sister of mossy Azurée Pure or Aromatics Elixir which I try to love or at least like but can't just yet.. Knowing is a lot easier on the nose.. so just when you think: this is a friendly chypre, here comes the clue that only women that want to intimidate their students or employers should wear this :). Too funny!
Somehow this one doesn't last on me at all, so I guess the sample I have may be a reformulated version as I can't believe the people before me are imagining things when they rate longevity so high. After only 2 hrs it's gone! The oakmoss (now banned as an allergen) must have almost disappeared.
If you loved this one.. hurry up and go buy a vintage version ..
Still, if oakmoss is too much for you, this is a nice fragrance.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

I wore this many moons ago, when big 80's type strong projection scents were all the rage. I have nothing new to add to the many spot on accurate evaluations of this scent. My own take on rediscovering this beauty is to judge this on it's gorgeous drydown, which to my nose is a beautiful green mossy chypre, with just a hint of clean floral. If you apply it right (light spritz), you'll be pleasantly surprised. I enjoy this most about 6 hrs. after application; so be patient and you'll be rewarded with something unique and special and most of all beautiful.

suhaesa
suhaesa

knowing ..knowing yourself.. knowing that you are worth it.. knowing who you are.. knowing where you want to be.. and what you want from this world ..knowing exactly how to get there.. and actually doing it ..knowing en copses all these qualities..strong ,long lasting, confident ,true, honest, careless, classy ,sexy, too much abundant in all dimensions..knowing makes others know who you are.. you can smell it from miles away..! saying know me..!!maybe its a bit too obnoxious..but its a mystery.. and its elegance lies in its hardness.. its a tough scent made for tough women ..definitely those with a strong character.. and those who wanna be noticed..its a signature perfume.. fit for a celebrity..
its full bodied characteristic and really unique..
rating 4 out of 5

judyk
judyk

Mmmmm, this is MY kind of perfume. Deep, dark, dangerous chypre. Looooove it!

Maybe it's just my nose, but Knowing immediately reminded me of another favourite of mine - Byzance. But Byzance has a distinctive sweet floral note (which I can't identify - the tuberose, perhaps?) which makes it a bit quirky and fun, whereas Knowing is sheer mink-coat-and-diamonds elegance.

Update: I have finally pinned down the odd floral note in Byzance. Heliotrope!

laura.linger.3
laura.linger.3

Knowing is summed up for me in a woman I once knew who wore it as her signature: beautiful dark curly hair with laughing gypsy eyes to match, a riotous red-lipsticked mouth, and clothes that screamed Earth Mother. She spoke confidently of the Zodiac and alchemy; she was gluten-free before it was trendy to eat that way; sometimes when she walked you could hear the faint tinkling of bells. It was never the scent for me. It was the perfect scent for her.

CozyCat
CozyCat

I can't stand the aldehydes and the oakmoss in Knowing, the composition is too sharp and strong and OTT...it's just overkill for me. My nose also detected a monstrous tuberose note, strong spices, and buckets of patchouli apart from the obvious aldehydes and oakmoss. I don't really get the civet, the poor cat probably got drowned out by the other monster notes. One of those scents that you need to spray only once on your decolletage, and only to be worn in colder seasons. This somehow smells 'older' than Youth Dew (which I adore from time to time on winter nights). 'Knowing' just reeks of senescence and malevolence to me, like a mean, domineering, rich older woman, a female Scrooge...a Cruella Deville. Definitely not for the timid or the faint of heart. I remember a very stern teacher I had in 5th grade who wore this scent, all the kids were terrified of her, and catching that first whiff of her strong perfume in the morning combined with the sound of fast and purposeful clicks of her heels walking down the hall would fill our little hearts with dread even before she'd walk into the class.

This scent loudly states 'I'm the big bad bitch who owns you'. Very sharp, powerful stuff. If you are a boss or a teacher, this might be the scent to use whenever you need to intimidate lazy employees or unruly students.

Mushana
Mushana

the combination of notes is varied and complex and yet the dry-down is amazing. Powerhouse fragrance...perfect for the boardroom!

Patricia40
Patricia40

When i first tested this on a paper strip, I loved the dry down so much I bought it. I should have tested it on my skin, my mistake. The first time I actually wore it, I didn't like it too much and was prepared to give it away until I read a review here which warned against over applying, and I realized that that was my mistake. Truly only one or two sprays is enough for this perfume. A whiff of it is smells so lovely. So I'm going to keep it and see how it goes. I do like it though.

Update: In the right amount this is so beautiful. I love strong sillage monster perfumes, and this one is strong. I wear this often now.

Scarlette
Scarlette

Rich classy chypre with AMAZING longevity and silage!!! Do you want to be taken seriously? Treated with respect? Doors held open for you? Seas to part for you? Then this is your scent.

Slightly intimidating....great for a person in a high power position. Very polished. Reminds me of Paloma Picasso, and Goldleaf, but this one is better...

This is one of the few soapy perfumes that I like, as it is so mossy, thick, and luxurious.

The meek should not wear this; you will not be believed...like an 8 yr old wearing Mommie's high heels...

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

I've worn this fragrance for years and truly love it.

This scent is NOT for wall flowers. A woman has got to be "sure of herself" to wear this.

This came out in the late 80's, so was part of that whole collection of 80's era fragrances that were solid, convincingly powerful, and made an entrance in the room about 5 feet ahead of you... so use this sparingly (one squirt of this behind the neck, then rub both wrists into it and on the other side of your neck... rather than squirting in all 4 zones).

This is a fragrance that I feel is very powerful and one that I wear on days/evenings when I am wanting to make more of a statement and desire to be taken more seriously in business.

-------------

Aphrodisiac Warning...

Although this is a great business and evening fragrance - this also has a hypnotic effect on men, so I have to really be careful exactly where I wear this... so as not to send the wrong message.

This is NOT "first date material"-- you really need to wear this with a man that you are desiring to attract attention from. If a man is really into you, and into this fragrance - they will become enslaved... so don't put this on unless you are desiring that type of attention.

It is the one that when I walk into the room, every man is inching up to me to ask "what are you wearing" and to tell me that I "smell goooooooood".

This fragrance mixes so well with my chemistry, that this has always been the call of the wild for men. On me, this fragrance has always caught a lot of male attention, for sure. If you are able to wear this fragrance- and wear it well, make sure that you are comfortable enough in your own skin to handle the compliments and the fact that men may follow you around like a puppy dog, just to hang out in the presence of this scent. Married men will ask you what you are wearing where they can buy this for their wives... and single men - well.... just don't wear this unless you want to draw male attention. I'll leave it at that. Wear this, ONLY if you dare.

They love it. RAWR.

It is one of my all time favorites. In over 20 years, I have not found anything that has this same effect - and gathers the compliments that I hear from men. If you know of anything better, please personal message me! I'd love to try something new, but this is IT for now!

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A powerful mature floral which projects and lasts and oozes confidence and presence...

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0-4 hours - This flooded the room when first applied and then became a strong 1.25 foot projection. Very powerful frag; it oozes confidence and maturity but mostly this signifies presence, character & strength - not someone to trifle with! It is a common place floral - deep green with rose chypre. Towards the 4th hour patchoulli comes out and makes it even more mature. Ages 60-68

4-5 hours. 1 foot projection. On the skin peppery smokiness comes in and ruins it, like fag ash and now it's very mature masculine with too much spices and it is very much like an 80's frag. The projecting wafting scent though dilutes and is better. Perhaps spray this one on your torso and not behind the ears or too close to the nose, and let the better projected scent waft upwards

5-6 hours. 10 inch projection, same as above and therafter

6-7 hours. 4 inch projection

7-11 hours - 3 inch projection

11-14 hours . Close to skin

Potent mature floral for a big pair of shoulders? or could it give someone that confidence boost that they deserve?

I would say that the leading notes in this fragrance are the mimosa note and the sandalwood note. Not my favorite combination, so I can't say that I like this smelling vintage enough fragrance a lot.

Jaydee
Jaydee

I love oakmoss in perfumes but I couldn't understand why I don't like this - then I realised - its the patchouli - can't stand the stuff!

mystica
mystica

Yes, I finally have this, it came as a gift:)
Soo intoxicating, a wonderful, deep, lady-like, classy, elegant chypre! In its category it could be the best after Aromatics Elixir indeed.
Definitiely enjoyable in all seasons and in every type of weather, because it melts so good in your skin.
It has a buttery creamy aroma which I like a lot!
Flowers are also detectable but never in a cloying or sharp way.
Sillage seems good and very pleasant so far. As for longevity, I have yet to give it some time.

Update: Longevity is crazy; about 24 hours or until you have a shower again.

Pusur
Pusur

with Knowing I have a cool story. It is not a my scent even if I am still walking around this one like cat (the same with Elixir Clinique) but it is kind of sentimental because of one, old lady I really like. Once, I had Knowing on me. Lovely girl who is actually maybe my friend even - maybe because we meet each other so seldom and with friendship is like with love, you can´t say that you are perfect couple if you meet twice a year ;) Anyway this small creature that is the only honest person to me - and vice versa - and loves smells like: Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears (without offend), said to me: Jizaz... You smell like Queen Victoria!!! And I said: Well, You smell like cheap bitch.
Lovely, isn´t it? :D

Aredore
Aredore

What a beautiful, smothering blanket of moss and rose! This smells like an incredibly expensive soap; the kind the fabulously wealthy buy on their south of France soujourns in huge bricks and then use for evey mundane washing task in their house.

Gorgeous.

missymary
missymary

I love Knowing to bits. It's a powerhouse of aromatic woods and civet and aldehyde. But a special touch is the light freshness of the mimosa that gives it a lovely floral edge.

I think that it's the classiest perfume of them all, and I'd include No 5 in that.

The moment I get that sumptuously chunky bottle in my hand, it lifts my spirits.

EK
EK

Knowing fits its bottle! Heavy, massive, nothing fragile here!
This is a powerhouse monster, more than bold, fearless beyond imagination. It radiates power, boldness, there's nothing soft or mellow about it. It is the kind of perfume that makes people give way to you on the street - and not because it stinks. You have to nerve yourself to wear it if you're the slightest bit unsure of your own personality. If you're not tough enough, Knowing will wear you and eat your intestines for lunch. It is confident womanity that demands respect. It's just animalistic enough to represent womanity in all repects. I normally don't age-discriminate any perfume as it's all a matter of personality imo - but this one.. I really can't imagine a 15-yr-old pulling it off. Absolutely not. It is so mature, experienced and formidable, that I really can't see it on a teen. Not that I can imagine any teen wanting to wear it!

It starts out a bit sweet and quite boozy, with strong mimosa to prepare you to what comes next. Minutes later Knowing reveals her face: it's a VERY dark chypre. I get no fruit, but the laurel and iris stand out. It does soften on the drydown, but it's never tender, romantic, fragile or anything in that respect.

I don't recommend wearing Knowing if you're in the mood for cookie-baking.

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

*Estee Lauder Knowing* (EdP): A huge floral - My personal experience is that the Tuberose takes over. I'm new to perfume exploration & recently sampled *Fracas*, which (apparently) is a primary tuberose scent... It sickened me horribly (caused prolonged migraine, bedridden, vomiting, etc). Although I don't know a tuberose from a street sign, I detect a lot- too much- of that same sickening note in *Knowing*- Admittedly much less than in *Fracas*, but still a major player, which I guess (?) must be tuberose (? uncertain ?).

Although I love some complex florals which purport to contain tuberose (ie, *Arpege*), my personal experience is that the tuberose in *Knowing* is hijacking this otherwise lovely fragrance. While I really want to love this (!), the nauseau center in my brain is triggered by the tuberose, & thus I cannot tolerate this fragrance. (I'd love to trade it- pls see below).

Sillage 9/10
Longevity 7/10

I have a (brand new) bottle of *Knowing* (2.5 oz. EdP, purchased recently from Estee Lauder counter @ local Macy's), perhaps 5% used (conservatively). I would really love to trade for a partial *Serge Lutens* (non-cumin), or a used/half bottle Sisley *Soir du Lune* or *Eau du Soir*, *Miss Dior* (original- Not Cherie), or others on my have/want list- Also very open to suggestions for trades! (I also have multiple brand new Gucci Envy 3.4 oz. EdT's for sale or trade- d/c'd). Thank you for reading my fumbling review! And, much respect + glory to those who love this otherwise beautiful, huge floral :)

goodcupoftea
goodcupoftea

absolutely gooorgeous parfum, if a little bit too strong. Very expensive smelling and long lasting. Love it!

saintlunaire
saintlunaire

A great a-temporal composition. Very long lasting its an eau de parfum.
I m a man and like to wear it in fall, finally oakmoss is very present.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

This is a chyphre that I think Bernard Chant would have liked. It plays on the same wonderful woody base, moss, patchouli and flowers that are found in Aromatics Elixir. Needs careful application and lasts over 12 hours on me. When applied with reverance and a minimal dosage it is a lovely rounded fragrance. Unlike AE the rose peaks her head out shyly and if recognisable as a single note amongst the heady background. Wonderful.

jeanbean7777
jeanbean7777

It is said that this perfume was created by the incredible Mrs LAuder herself...she was inspired by the floral breeze she got on her balcony while on an exotic vacation and wanted to bottle the delicious scent....I can't tell you how impressive this perfume is! I tested this once before and I sprayed too much on and totally destroyed the effect! One spray, preferably fanned on is the ONLY way to go with this beautiful perfume.....with one spray you achieve the desired effect of the "whisper"of the flower that this was inspired by. It smells almost like a heady violet with rose.....like this amazing perfumy flower growing in a wet forest with sunshine and sea in the distance. It's very earthy yet you detect the lushness. I love this!,this is very elegant. It has a punch to it. I can't see anyone under 30 wearing this at all.....maybe even 35.its very confident and very mature. This scent weaves in and out of the air around you and has the best scillage I've ever seen. It is quite heady. It's defonately one for the evening. Though i will wear it to work as well in the late afternoons. This perfume is a work of art. It has such confidence and strength. It's very much in the space around you. It's not bashful. It has a purpose. I think men whoike perfume would really like this as its very feminine and its a sweet woody floral. Very perfumy. Again.one squirt. That's it. Another magnificent kaiser creation. This and sensuous are my faves.

galbgamary
galbgamary

I love it, will love it and will always love it! It's the best perfume that ever suited my skin in an unbelievable way!

lanags
lanags

Bought it blindly a while back because it had everything I like in it - mistake - doesn't do well on my skin, gave it to my dear friend and on her it's a sophisticated and loud and sexy and wise and calling for appreciation and respect

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

A new review on an old scent....well not that old. I have recently repurchased after 20 plus years. I caught a whiff on a lady recently and I thought I was so clever and said are you wearing Agent Provocoteur? To which she replied, no it's Knowing. The dry downs obviously share something in common. I remember how much I loved this scent. What a beautiful, rich powerhouse this is. It evokes the many memories of my twenties in the early 90's when I wanted to be so grown up. There is something slightly different, or lesser I detect in this bottle then the one I owned many years ago. I still get the spices, patchouli and the cat, but the meow is not the same. It still has the lasting power and a very warm amber dry down which I love. When I think of the fact I bought this way back then I must have been all knowing.... LOL

stephan
stephan

Tacky bottle, but great smell.
I think this will be my Kouros replacement once Kouros is empty.
I think they are siblings.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

I like this one very much. Not in the least sorry to have bought this Christmas present for myself today!

Rich and plush, warm and intelligent, very sophisticated, drying down into a lovely, lasting powder. Not too sweet, but with enough rose to take the bitter edge off that lovely, luscious, dark chypre. Yes, I really, REALLY like this one.

Knowing is very strong with powerful sillage, well blended and lasting; just a touch, here and there, will do the job wonderfully. This is a very adult fragrance, for a woman who knows her mind and is in control of her destiny...womanly, but with a sense of her own worth.

This will become one of my favorites.

sandalwood234
sandalwood234

Maybe it's me, and just a few others, on noticing the change/reformulation of this perfume. I've just read so many rave reviews of the dark hypnotic-like intensity of this perfume, and I, as a long-time on and off wearer of Knowing, don't get it. I don't find it dark and mysterious at all. I find it more earthy and herbal, and the patchouli seems to have been toned down from years past years. It used to start with deep, crisp and delicious notes of orange, sandalwood and patchouli. Now I think it's too mossy, and tends to have a sour note in it. Maybe it's just my body chemistry change over the years, but I'm disappointed. The Estee Lauder reformulations are a disappointment to me.

Thalia
Thalia

I can't add much to the reviews already here. Knowing is SO MUCH perfume -- so much rose, so much moss, so much animal, so many notes undetectable in themselves but building a plush billowy cushion of scent. It's dry and dark and not sweet at all, but it doesn't smell dull or austere the way that, for instance, Midnight Poison (another "dark" unsweet rose) does to me. It's a velvet-lined perfume.

I own a tiny mini and the stopper can dispense tiny little beads of perfume -- and that is all you need. It is almost impossible to avoid over-applying Knowing. Even with the microscopic dabs I use, I'm afraid I can be smelt by satellites in low-earth orbit. I can't imagine spraying this stuff on!

krmarich
krmarich

Imagine walking into my drugstore that time forgot and finding a vintage bottle of Knowing EPD. This is the only Estee Lauder in my collection so far and one of the most powereful chypres of all time. Yes, it is big, bold and spraying more than a drop is overwhelming.

It reminds me of Patou's Joy only more darker and seductive. It is Jean Kerleo's Magnum Opus. There were no rules in place in 1988 and the aldehydes, oakmoss and civet are prominent. The dry and dramatic rose sits in the middle of this bottle of dark treasures.

Its as nocturnal as La Nuit.Its hypnotic "Bela Lugosi as Dracula" like seduction. Its is "come hither" potion that is rare enough to find. Its is perfect for the gothic red wine crowd who likes lots of black eyeliner. As a man I find Knowing comfortable enough to wear in public. Especially after the flowers quiet down. Its not that far from Actuer or Antaeus.

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

Another 'excessive 80's' fragrance and boy oh boy I was an absolute masochist for this one! One of the strongest fragrances I've ever smelled, I used to love wearing it, but grew out of it (and had a few headaches, but I still loved wearing it!). You only need the tiniest drop of this pungent potion to set your day alight! It is most definitely a deadly weapon in one's sexy arsenal one might say! A double dose of patchouli in it too! Wonderful, incredibly rich (like an evil dessert), and oh so sinful!

Migalex
Migalex

This is one of the best perfumes out there, and if one takes into consideration the strength, projection and longevity, no doubts one of the best buys. Very unique amongst the chypres. The very strong coriander smell brings it somehow close to Gucci nº3, L'arte di Gucci and Coriandre, although these ones are more floral and at least the first two no longer in production. Knowing is also much stronger, which makes it much cheaper, in fact, than most cheaper perfumes. Antaeus also has a feel of it. It is really lovely and can perfectly be worn by a conservative man (because any perfume can be worn by an open minded one). The only thing which disappoints me about this perfume is that twice (and not only once), in public places, one of them a train, other people got complimented for the perfume I was wearing, and quite enthusiastically. Disgusted, althought not saying anything, I thought I would not wear it anymore, but later I thought that wearing a bit less, rather than dropping a lot on me would do, because only people close to me would smell it, and those would recognize without mistakes who is smelling so good. I do not resist though, I like sweeping perfume around. What I will do the next time, if people do that mistake again, I will clarify the situation straightaway. Fantastic perfume. I love wearing it in autumn and winter evenings.

PS: Believe me, this is a compliment chaser. I never saw a fragrance like this one. I would think that lots of people (not me obviously) would find it too heavy, and that not everyone is fond of this type of semi oriental chypre, but I was wrong. I always have reservations when I read reviews saying that certain scents get lots of compliments, but believe me, I get complimented practically everytime I wear this fragrance and that never happened to me with any other fragrance. I am sure it is in part to do with its strength, because people around you do smell it, but they do not only smell it, they love it. This must be one of the best fragrances on Earth..

winnie ellis
winnie ellis

Classic and sophisticated fragrance

johngreenink
johngreenink

An interesting note about 'Knowing' - A very dear and stylish friend of mine who lives in Paris has lamented that perfume never smells right on her. She has said that this is the case with every scent she's tried. No matter the cost, her chemistry doesn't like scent. There are only two exceptions: Climat, and Knowing. Knowing seems to bring out all the right elements of her particular chemistry, and I can tell you, she is a very modern, feminine and beautiful woman. Estee Lauder must know something good.

jasmasid
jasmasid

I have the pure parfum or "extrait". Very sophisticated, very grown-up, a very opulent-smelling scent. It carries a sense of majesty and grandeur, which lasts and lasts. It would've worked wonderfully well for those who were rich and privileged in the 18th and 19th centuries. But, it's just as relevant in the 21st century. Reminds me of the old version of Ysatis by Givenchy. But does not last as long as the old Ysatis used to. I have a bit of a niggle about the price. Given that this is American and synthetic, rather than French with flowers from the south of France, this should be a little cheaper than it is. At the very least, they should make it available in smaller bottles and also offer complementary products like talc, body lotion, deodorant and shower gel.

jtd
jtd

Knowing is a rose chypre. A large category, rose chypres can be dark, fruity, sweet, leathery, day-glo, animalic. It’s a fragrance family that has a large range of tones. Take all the forms a chypre might take and multiply that by all the facets of rose. What distinguishes Knowing is its lack of sweet elements. Ungaro’s Diva has its honey and Paloma Picasso’s Paloma has sweet balsams. Knowing has a dry woodiness that perfectly ties the moss to the spiced rose. The key here is the rose. Not a dewy rose, not a flaming rose. This rose is dry verging on bitter and is in perfect accord with the moss. This is the fragrance I'd recommend when people ask for a rose that a man could wear, which is funny because I'd wear anything I like whether targeted to boys or girls. Also funny because the EL fragrances always seem to have that suggestion of solid, practical American femininity (I guess I'm falling for marketing here.) But you know what? Knowing shares as much (categorically) with the rose chypres as it does (in tone) with men's power fragrances of the 80s. It is huge, woody, has preternatural sillage and a half-life of days. My god, this could be Antaeus.

Fairylight7
Fairylight7

Should come with a warning label: For Adults Only. The only way I can describe it is in a childlike way: it's so GROWN-UP! A fragrance for a fulfilled, high flying executive woman. Intimidating but gorgeous. Shame about the price!

Fizzy
Fizzy

I only sniffed it on the bottle and do not dare to spray it. I guess, it is a incredible stinky fragrance with centuries lasting power.

calyx93
calyx93

Gorgeous rose chypre in the same vein of Diva and Mon Parfum, but has its own special twist. The dark, green and lush moss notes are the perfect counter-foil to the sweet and liqueur-like top and heart notes. The bonus is the civet-rich traditional chypre base - sexy and with just enough fur & fangs.

Wore this a few weeks ago to a luxe event while wearing a vintage, deep vermillion, crushed velvet tuxedo and the scent fit the look like the tightest kid leather glove. So, it can be unisex if you know how to pull it off. Just make sure you have the attitude first ;)

Sheridan
Sheridan

A haiku for Knowing:

Plush, mossy roses
Heady and luxurious
Not for the timid!

chowchow41
chowchow41

This is a beautiful chypre that suits me perfectly. I'm really enyoing it after testing it a few times, and i finally bought it for myself. I always liked chypre's but somehow i can not were them as other lady's do. But finally i can wear this one wich is beautifully blendid for my skin. I can wear this to work and actually any occasion. I'm so enyoing it right now, im in heaven i can finally wear a chypre.

There is no mistaking this fragrance...there isn't anything else like it. I like it when other people wear it, but have never owned it.

cleanerchic
cleanerchic

I really like this fragrance. It reminds me of Avon's Imari a little. I can tell it will be a favorite.

Elise1214
Elise1214

I have previously smelled Knowing on people in the past, and always liked it. However, most recently I smelled it directly from the bottle, and it confirmed that I REALLY like it.

As someone mentioned below, it is floral, but not a sweet/soft floral-- it is bold, yet refined and not overpowering.

I will be getting this one soon (especially since I have returned to the cosmetic and fragrance industry, and I get my discount LOL)

donsalieri
donsalieri

I didn't find any interesting masculine fragrance in perfume shop today, so I tried this one on my skin and fell in love immediately. Shop assistant told me about all the flowers it containts, but in fact Knowing tells a different story. For me, it is a great aldehydic fragrance with mesmerizing heart, where the woody and green notes (softened by rose) are the centre point. I love it and don't want to suggest Knowing only for women, I am considering buying one bottle for myself. Or more?

Grottola

Like most women's fragrances out of the 80's, Knowing is very assertive and bold. Knowing is unique because it's a rose chypre - half rose, half chypre. Rose fragrances generally don't agree with my skin. They usually end up smelling too powdery and stuffy on my skin. Granted, there are a few good ones (vintage Ungaro III, Rossy de Palma), but for the most part rose doesn't agree with me. Knowing, unfortunately, is no exception to that. The rose is too powdery, but I think it goes well with the chypre base. It's strong as hell and may be a bit too much but at least I can tolerate it. It gets more feminine as it dries down, but less powdery and the rose gets sweeter. If you like rose no matter what, definitely try Knowing. Especially if you dig chypres, too.

SimplyGolden
SimplyGolden

I like the fragrance but it's a hint to woodsy for me. But it is a beautiful, strong and very confident fragrance.

reignydaze
reignydaze

Knowing has the most unbelievable projection and sillage, so use with a light hand. A beautifully strong woodsy perfume that doen't apologise for its exsistance. A very androgenous fragrance not sweet and young but confident and 'knowing'. Everyone will smell this.....even those in space. I love it.

SilverFire
SilverFire

Just for the record, I myself have not worn this, but a female coworker does. This scent had always struck me as confident, refined, poised, and elegant, for it was a floral, but not a fragile over-sweet floral. It radiates as a well-blended bouquet, constant and never obnoxious in its silage. Knowing is womanly, confident, refined, and almost challenging. I'd say that it inspires those around you to think of you as if you were royalty.

Angel10

I love this one, but I cannot wear it, as I have no self control with perfumes, and always put on too much and smell very off-putting. I do not have the gentle touch required of this fragrance.

elderflowers
elderflowers

Knowing is an assertive dark chypre, it doesn't have a genial personality, and it's very female (not feminine): a glamorous female drill sargeant, barking at me to put on some decent clothes, fix my hair, and straighten my back. Does a lady wear Doc Martens? Does a lady bundle all her stuff into a rucksack? Maybe, but only if the lady can also

“...change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” (pace Robert Heinlein)

In short, Knowing is liable to make non-superheroines feel inadequate. The only other scent I know that has such a strong martinet effect on me is Paloma Picasso, which at least gives fair warning in its adverts that it will nag you to put on red lipstick and stop being such a wet lettuce.

AMAZING SILLAGE! is right; Knowing is one of those scents that should really only come in dab-on form. Fortunately, terrifying potency can be tamed by spraying the scent into a roll-on bottle, the sort used for the cheap Arabic attars that are yet another vice of mine. Applied carefully, from the ankles up and with only the faintest dab above the sternum, Knowing is elegant, competent, and sophisticated – and strong, in the best way. The one thing it can never manage, is cute.

Theheartoftheflower
Theheartoftheflower

T really love this perfume!
It's quite heavy during the first 15 minutes, after then it becomes softer and dries down to a lovely finish. It's a beautiful combination of spices, flowers en animalistic ingredients and it smells very classy.
I think it's very similar to Soir de Lune, a fragrance I really love but is way to expensive. Maybe this is the reason I'm so happy I discovered this perfume, because though it screams classy, it's quite affordable.

Angel10

I ALWAYS try to be kind. Always.

But Habanita, you truly have something bad to say about nearly every perfume. It makes me sad to read your reviews.

This likely won't get published, but I truly wish you would find a website about something you LIKE. Or try to find the good in some, or revisit them. I feel like you don't like perfume.

Hundreds of reviews, with nearly ALL of them saying the same thing: drugstore, cheap, uninteresting, gross, sharp, teenager....your reviews are a broken record. I learn NOTHING about the perfume at all.

Please be kind.

That being said, I am intrigued & am likely going to try one of your favorites, as they must clean your house for you too if YOU love them!

angeloftheNorth
angeloftheNorth

I never really understood what a powdery scent was, until I tried Knowing. After a very promising opening, when I thought OMG I've found my signature perfume, it sadly became one big powder bomb. It made me feel about 80 years old(admittedly like smart French 80 year old lady). And boy did it last and last! Even after I showered and scrubbed that old sweet powder was still faintly there. I don't understand all the talk about a classic and a dark mystery. For me beautiful dark mystery is Midnight Poison. Knowing is grandma's talc.

cisco
cisco

Just found a little over 1/2 oz. in a bottle that came in a box lot. Why didn't I try this one sooner? It is big, bold, and beautiful. Like Carol, I am sick of fragrances that poof away carrying my hard earned money with them. Knowing is fantastic! It has two of my faves in its makeup....Aldehydes and Civet (poor little thing). I love a strong, bold, well constructed perfume.

This is a sillage monster with at least 12 hour longevity on even the most stubborn skin. Long live Knowing!

chrisstinna_b
chrisstinna_b

This one reminds me of my grandma's perfume, Cachet. I find it similar to that one. In fact they have a lots of ingredients in common, no wonder why it's so similar.
Another chypre floral I don't like.

ShannyO
ShannyO

I concur with the reviews citing Knowing as a woman's fragrance, even though I was a girl of 14 when I got my first bottle. It smelled (s) sophisticated, worldly, in essence.... knowing. It definitely has a woodsy base, no mistaking that. As one poster mentioned it's not so common today, but I still get compliments when I wear it. It is probably more appropriate for me as a 35 year old than it was back in the day.... but "appropriate" has never dictated my taste. Knowing is a classic.

Jomoves
Jomoves

When I was younger, a very kind Lauder sales rep gave me a sample of this fragrance. I was thrilled out of my mind, as I came from a family where there wasn't a lot of money for things like perfume. Body sprays from the supermarket at Christmas were about as good as it got.

I must have made that sample last for a whole year. I would dab just a small amount on, even if I was just going to the mall, because it made me feel like a million dollars. For just an hour or so I really felt like Paulina Porizkova, the Lauder model at the time, living a sophisticated life in glamourous New York.

For that reason alone, I will always have room for this fragrance in my life.

kosmoskukka

Knowing feeds my Soul very deep. This became one of my top 10.
Staying power is Super Good. I spayed it at 10.15 am and now it seems to be 9.06 pm... and still its there. Whoaww!

larali
larali

Love. This is so classy and ladylike. I am not that great at discerning notes-- my first impression was that it smelled like straight up gardenia on me (?!), with some civet. (I happen to like civet.) This is one perfume you wear with well-tailored clothes and quality jewelry. Falling in love with EL perfumes, and I want this one-- but I can't adopt them all!!!

LaPetite
LaPetite

I wanted to try i because evryone here seems to love it . So when i saw it on the perfume store , i immedialtely wanted to try it , but no no no no , this s definitely not for me . A perfume for the nostalgic of the strong scents of the 80's , for those who want to be noticed , i definitely can't cope with those woodsy perfumes if you can't either , not for you sweety .

weegee
weegee

Knowing was Big and she came along when hair was Big and shoulder pads were Big and America was still Big, too, as it began its long good-bye to the Reagan years.

I'd been wearing Aliage and Aromatics Elixir for over a decade by the time Knowing was introduced so I was no stranger to STRONG fragrances... In that context, believe me when I say that Knowing seemed both subtle and daring, with a formula that brought feminine floral accords back into the already wonderful resinous, galbanum rich gender neutral formulas of the 1970's, Aliage and AE among them.

But Knowing didn't just smell wonderful, it smelled like WOMAN. Applied with a proud, heavy hand, Knowing preceeded Woman into the room, controlled the atmosphere while Woman was in the room, and remained to remind everyone she'd been there long after Woman had left the room.

Truly, I felt proudly, loudly Woman whenever I wore Knowing then. Still true now.

Lady Love
Lady Love

It's a sophisticated beautiful woody chypre, and it has the depth, complexity and beauty that fragrances had back in the 80's.
AMAZING SILLAGE! The EDP is as powerful and concentrated as most pure parfums, so this one is best dabbed, not sprayed

Knowing is unusual. Too strong at first, but dries down to a lovely powder scent.

Instead of an old lady smell, to me it is a mature woman :)

krishka
krishka

I tried it and i was surprised how much i liked it.

It has very sharp opening but the dry down is beautiful in a very sexy and vintage way...very interesting frag....the staying power is amazing !

panterachik
panterachik

This one brings just the right amount of skank to the party.
It is sexy,loud and pure perfection to my nose!

They dont make enough fragrances like this now and it's a damn shame. love it

Cubby
Cubby

My sister's signature. But please, use only 1/2 spray. This stuff is extremely strong!!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

On a first test I got a nice, pleasant spiciness that dried down to a warm light scent. The second test gave me an over-the-top sweetness and, although there is no note of it, a strong coconut like fruitiness. Spices did come along, but the sweetness stayed too evident for my tastes. It is pleasant enough overall, but not a buy for me.

bookwyrmsmith
bookwyrmsmith

In the summer of 2010 I tried this and had mixed feelings -I sorta liked it especially after it had dried waaay down ,but found it to be veerry soapy and rather aftershavish .
Reviews were read thru fall and when Thanksgiving Day came and my family wanted Christmas wishlists this went on mine . Grams bought a half ounce edp for me and I find that in the winter it is a GORGEOUS rich rose! I LOVE Knowing!

my favorite estee' perfume. a heavier scent. great for the cooler months. a wonderful scent for a night out. use it sparingly and it will make others wonder what that gorgeous, subtle, scent is and who is wearing it.

carolcabbagerose
carolcabbagerose

Fed up with so many perfumes that just do not last I went back to this old favorite and it did not disappoint. Not for the very young though! this is a mature fragrance that is for the women who Knows what she wants. I wear this when I mean business and want to be treated with respect. Not all sweet and sugery but dark and mysterious.

OH MY GOD !! WOW
I went today on city and tested on my skin This Edp. First it was huge strong, after 5-10 mins wow what kind of scent there came. And Guess what.. Now I want to have this.. oh boy ! This seems to last on my skin huge long time also. Soft, very sexy if there would be tantric perfumes, this One is absolutely tantric perfume. MMmmmmm. *** <3<3<3 ***

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

Just couldnt cut it , smelled like mens cologne, way back in the day ! Dont care for woody florals though as a general rule.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I like it, even tho the top is very soapy from the aldehydes. This pretty much covers up any other notes for me for the 1st 5 minutes or so. Once they die down, I get a little dry fruit, woodsy notes and spice cake. This must be why it reminds people of Christmas.
The heavy bottom notes make it a very dense earthy scent. anchored by the oakmoss and orris.
I think this is what Apercu was shooting for but missed by a mile.

EL's gallery of scents continues to surprise me with it's diversity. and depth.

I'll wear this one alot!

empressevie
empressevie

Another earthy, exotic, alluring and stop traffic fume from Estee Lauder. I don't get it...how can one house make such amazing perfumes with so much depth and enticement, and also make such strong, one noters as Beyond Paradise??? Or straight soaps, like White Linen???
Sadly, my son in law's mother wears this, so I'm loathe to start wearing it, as it is ALL she wears. But, if you want a generous, warm, deep, feminine perfume that smacks of confident, generous, complex multi-faceted womanhood, get this!

CaroleBee
CaroleBee

I love this perfume. One of my co-workers uses this perfume constantly. During the last six years I have only smelt a different scent on her on two occasions. Needless to say I never wear mine to work, saving it for weekends and the odd social occasion.
I wander into the office of a morning, always after her and following her path through the heady perfume. I stand for a few seconds in the passageway as if in the middle of the fragrance and am transported to another place and time, always very sensual and romantic, thinking of a time in the past with much pleasure before coming down to earth and beginning normal workday chores. No one is aware of my trips down memory lane but they are enjoyed with extreme “smugness’
A perfume for every season.

PattyCake
PattyCake

I have tested Knowing over the years. It always reminds me of Christmas. I have never purchased this one although it warm beautifully on my skin. I'm not certain if it smell dated or too sweet, hum???? Maybe I will buy it this Christmas.

ccj36
ccj36

My late mother-in-law wore this when I first met her. It suited her well, as she was a classy, confident, and modern woman. Knowing is floral without being flowery, if that makes sense. It is very woodsy/mossy to me, and one squirt---just one!--is more than sufficient. It would make a good scent for the office, as it is appealing to both men and women without being intrusive (unless applied too heavily). Definitely a cool-weather fragrance. I can understand why people would suggest that more mature women would be more likely to wear this; however, a woman of any age who has quiet confidence can wear this scent well.

moly
moly

It is such a beautiful fragrance, so warm, friendly and feminine. One of the best chypres I tested.

arg1971
arg1971

When I first smelled knowing I Thought wow this really smells so good. it smells like a perfume someone with class and sophistication would wear of a more mature stature. I was in my twentys then. My mother like this perfume so I gave my bottle to her smells like something that 50+ would wear but then again Im putting a number on perfume as so many of us do. If one likes the scent of something regardless of age then they should wear it

My face is often the look of utter disgust when it comes to sampling Estee Lauder fragrances, with a few exceptions, one being Knowing.

I didn't think I would like this fragrances. Chypres are often too dry or too dusty for me, however Knowing is extremely pleasant. I get mostly powdered roses, earthy patchouli and spices. Together they make a rather sensual blend.

The scent in itself is quite potent, so it is best approached with a light hand. In small doses this fragrance is breath-taking in a womanly, confident and grandiose way.

Towards the drydown, this fragrance loses some of its powderiness, becoming woodsier and drier which gives it further definition. The lasting strength is very good, lasting in terms of days even after a few showers. Miss Dior is a little similar if I had to compare Knowing to anything.

There is something about the rose in this fragrance which becomes quite captivating. I'm not usually a rose person, even though I tend to own many rose-based samples these days. But if I were to suggest an interesting dry and powdery rose, somewhat like pot-pourri, I would definitely recommend Knowing.

merilu59
merilu59

Amo questo profumo, io non posso spiegare perché
è una fragranza piacevole che mi attira.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is woody, dark, enveloping and feminine in a very sophisticated and natural way.
I woke to the unmistakable smell of the beginning of Autumn today - that peppery floral wood-mulch scent which this is in total synergy with. A real Autumn/Winter beauty and on my list!! Slightly similar to 'Rive Gauche' I think, but mossier, therefore in my book, nicer.

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

This is an insanely good perfume.
VERY strong.
Described as a "dirty rose" by many,
I would call it more of a warm winter rose.
You know the ones that inexplicably bloom in snow?
EPIC.
BRILLIANT.
DEEP.

vuelo
vuelo

Heavy... it's more proper for evening/night wear. Heavy rose chypre... makes me think of years 1900. The way women were, the way they had to act, to dress, the moral conduct and the way good manners were perceived than.

guest_PANDORA
guest_PANDORA

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT

WireBodyArt
WireBodyArt

I love this perfume! I've received many compliments while wearing it. For me, slightly floral with a subtle woody tone. Well worth a try! Ask the Estee Lauder counter for a tester vial & check it out! Most Estee Lauder fragrances works for me though. Juli ;)

chaos2
chaos2

This is weird but EL scents seemed to smell better on me when I was still smoking. I know. I know. This was one that I liked OK, but I really wore it because I kept getting compliments on it. Now it is eh.

guest_pearl of the ocean
guest_pearl of the ocean

I despise Estee Lauder fragrances. There is never any chemistry.

But my encounter with Knowing completely changed my world. I'm in love...

My mother has this in a mini version as part of an Estee Lauder Collection travel set. After trying to likes of Pure Linen, Youth Dew, etc; Knowing happened to be the only one that captured my heart.

Hauntingly beautiful, but with subtlety. Knowing doesnt need to scream out for attention.
You only need a few drops to feel truly captivated.

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

real strong - super uber bold but all in all pretty good

milena

Pure luxury,rich and sensual after two small applications the scent lingers and lingers on my skin, lightly mossy and very alluring another favourite of mine next to madame rochas.From this morning till now , night, the scent is still there.Pure lust of a perfume.

Estee Lauder KNOWING is one potent little potion--apply just two drops of the perfume, and you'll be enveloped in this rich elixir for many, many hours!

KNOWING begins dark and just a bit dirty--my resident certified civet detector has confirmed the clear presence of the civet note even in the earliest stages of this perfume. The patchouli still has a bit of soil clinging to it, and the aldehydes here are not strong enough to clear it away.

As KNOWING evolves, it becomes softer and a bit cleaner: the flowers begin to bloom, albeit still illuminated only by the light of dusk. The petals are dusted with powdered chypre and woody elements. The patchouli reasserts itself in the drydown in a slightly less brown form.

Although KNOWING is a bit intense upon initial application--even very sparingly applied--the longer it sits on the skin, the more inviting it becomes. KNOWING is a serious composition which will please dark chypre lovers. The heaviness of this composition makes it most appropriate for cold winter nights.

nyoka
nyoka

given ur chemistry,this might just b the one. after a light spray,i feel its spring.a fresh rain has just dampened the earth as i am walking down a trail outside of town.i sniff sweet mimosa touched by one of my favs,tuberose.i begin to get hungry as i smell juicy ripe melons seasoned with spicy cloves,as i walk off the lane,i am followed by waifs up patchouli and sandlewood.smells like itself.doesnt remind me of any other.beautiful.

guest_wildflower
guest_wildflower

This perfume is very special to me. I wore it alot in my late 20's to early 30's. Now, in my mid-40's I am wearing it again and loving it perhaps even more than before. It is very special and different than any other perfume. It does not smell like air freshener, cleaning product, nail polish remover or hair spray. More like quality Italian perfume. If anyone has ever taken a walk in the woods after it rains; the smell of the wet trees, moss, little white flowers, rich soil and maybe even some fern, all damp and moist, and more alive than ever. This is what I smell in Knowing Perfume. Classic!

Sissi
Sissi

What makes Aldehydes Patcholi Jasmine
Sandalwood & Civet a good perfume
ingredients i just don't know. 90 %
of my perfumes That i love are these
ingredents it's Romance Wraped in a bottle An elegant perfume perfect for
going to a high class Resturant
Going to a Posh Fine Art Museim
having a candle light dinner with your
signifigant other. i'v notice some a leather note in this perfume i'm deffinily buy this again when it runs out.

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

The only Estee Lauder for me . i'd like to call Knowing Edp a dreamy creation , very romantic & feminine ,,, very big soft roses with a discreet pinch of spices & a strong woody-mossy finish , its very soft on the aldehydic side & very assertive on the chypre one as expected , very lovely & very special too , with great persistent sillage & amazing longevity .
unfortunately its utterly understated among the floods of sweet & pretty modern flankers of today . but it will remain a floral gem nonetheless.

alianeblue
alianeblue

This is classic scent, my mom used to wear it on special occasions when I was a little girl and I used to ask her to put some on me because I felt in love with Knowing ever since, and she would always tell me “I’m sorry baby you are too young for this perfume, this was made for big girls like mom”. Well now I am an adult and I have my own bottle, and when I wear it, I feel like I just had a luxurious body wrap treatment at an exclusive spa. Knowing is like sequins, glitter, velvet, silk and everything that is sumptuous.

jubiju2
jubiju2

well i love this perfume .i finished one bottle and now i have another one ,this perfume stays long on you and its very classy .i use it for special occasions .this perfume is great when u wear it in winters or a cool night out .

truffles
truffles

Mmmm, got this for Christmas - a set with body cream - gorgeous - old fashioned, quality and very wearable.

...Well that was my first assessment.
At first it seemed very me, but I'm shying away from Knowing at the moment as I'm actually finding it very overpowering in a 'chemically' way and perfume that smells obviously of manmade chemicals (and I could be wrong here that is just the way it is seeming to me) is a big turn off.
Maybe I will come back to it.

UPDATE, 2012. Well - I passed the perfume on a long time ago but kept the cream - I would recommend the cream but not the perfume. The cream 'is' the perfume, strong but much more wearable (ie. not suffocating!).
The other weird thing about Knowing perfume is that it sometimes smells like CURRY on my skin! (?) :) (Hmm, no wonder I got rid of it).

Trinity
Trinity

Isn't it funny, how fragrances can transport you back in time within seconds without even entering a time machine?!

"Knowing" brings to me instant memories of 1988 and I cannot smell it without hearing Prince's – "Alphabet Street" in my mind! (Funny, I know!)

Great fragrance, great Album, great time! :-) Love it!

milena

rich, luxurious, very sexy, alluring. lasting power great. a little goes a long way.

Cherub573
Cherub573

I am not currently a fan of chypres myself, but I think this is a very sophisticated and rich fragrance. Well-blended and having great lasting power and sillage. It is definitely not sweet, and only moderately floral to my nose. My mother wore this when I was little, so I think of it as a fragrance you wear with pearls and cashmere sweaters, when you want to smell elegant and luxurious.

benzippo
benzippo

I found this fragrance strange years ago when I first sniffed it but it is a totally different story now.

Maybe my taste of fragrance has evolved but I find Knowing such a great creation and never knew what I was missing until very recently when I received a bottle for my birthday last month.

The lasting power is great, the fragrance smells great on me which is has so much character and have non of the pungent note where I remembered on my first sniff.

Now I know why it has so many fans and I am one of the latest addition.

A grand perfume with excellent lasting power and sillage.

With the right doses, the magic it weaved is fascinating.

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

very very very fine grand perfume, the highest refinement and subtlety

fotolux
fotolux

it`s most modern from Estee Lauder`s smells. It is where more consonant our time, what all unisex and fresh smells, together. Changeable, a bit contradictory. Womanlike without lusciousness. Would not name intelligent. But... Intellectual, very clever smell. A bit hypocritical. Bold undoubtedly.

Mals86
Mals86

I am not much of a chypre fan, although there are a few that I really love (Magie Noire). One of my favorite aunts wears this scent, and it's lovely on her. However, I could never wear this one: it's too sharp and sour, with too little floral, for my taste.

EDIT: I purchased a mini bottle of vintage parfum, on the theory that it might be softer than the edt I tried at the perfume counter. That much is true - the vintage (late-80's) parfum is rich and glowing, not "sharp and sour," as I called it above, with a luxurious mossy rose. It stays just beautiful for at least two hours before reverting to the sickly-sweet base that all the Lauders seem to have on my skin. I recommend it for those of you who have no problems with the Lauder base.

snobuni77
snobuni77

This perfume totally grossed me out.I sprayed it on my wrist without hesitation because I had read that it is a great perfume & even a classic but YUCK! I really regretted putting this on.It is not a pretty scent at all.It has a stinky sourish note.It is pretty or sexy or anything it is just yuck.

So Sorry ladies but this one is not for me =(

I still think you should give it a try because it seems to work for many people

Me & "krisiva"(reviewer below) must have the same body chemistry.....
such a bummer for us =(

artgoddess
artgoddess

GO easy on this one, becuase if it is too strong, the smell is sickening, like bug spray. HOWEVER, applied with a light hand, Knowingis an elegant, crisp and refreshing scent.

The first tiem I tried this perfume I was addicted. Love the mossy notes!

krisiva
krisiva

I really wanted to like this one, and I really did ….but only on a blotter. On my skin – no chance, it turns into aggressive, offensive scent, simply stinking. How strange, as the scent develops, at some point it slightly resembles Cabochard by Gres, which is one of my favorites, but I find more flowers and more warmth in Cabochard. Actually Knowing is the only scent I encountered recently that makes me want to rush and scrub it away from my skin as soon as possible. Probably it is a body chemistry problem, having the fact that generally I like chypres very much.

Juliette has a gun
Juliette has a gun

Fascinating perfume. I love the pittosporum smell and the heavy rose it is built upon. And I'm delighted by the name - KNOWING - this one is for a woman who is in the know of a quality perfume.

cognac
cognac

A very heavy fragrance.
Lovely for the holidays .
A bottle can last quite a while.

Nuppu
Nuppu

This one is crispy dry, these's no sweetnes at all. Definetly alluring like Chaosinmotion write too, good chypre and intresting. Longlasting, more than ten hours and more. Parfum de Nicolai Odalisque is almost identical to my nose like Knowing, and I like them both.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

I feel delicious with Knowing on. In my opinion this would only work on a woman who is 'knowing'. She knows herself, knows what she wants and definitely knows what she doesn't want!

This is a great for fall scent. Knowing is also in a pretty bottle. It's very long lasting as well.

Downright sexy if woodsy florals mesh with your chemistry.

Chaosnmotion
Chaosnmotion

I love this perfume, I can't explain why other than it is a nice alluring fragrance that attracts me.

2007

Knowing by Estée Lauder 3.69 out of 5 based on 1052 ratings and 196 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Knowing fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Knowing, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Knowing by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Knowing by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.