Designers » D E » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Modern Muse Estée Lauder for women
dislike

tuberose
Modern Muse Estée Lauder for women Videos
Modern Muse Estée Lauder for women Pictures Modern Muse Estée Lauder for women Pictures

Estée Lauder presents Modern Muse, the first major perfume launch in the last decade since Beyond Paradise from 2003 (wwd). This perfume is Estée Lauder’s attempt to climb back to the top of the perfume houses. Modern Muse symbolizes what it means to be an independent and self-confident woman today, sure of herself and her style. It is a confidence that inspires.

Perfumer Harry Fremont tried to express the duality of the composition by creating a two accord composition of sparkling jasmine (which symbolizes femininity) and sleek woods (representing strength). The first accord, accord of jasmine, blends exotic notes of mandarin, tuberose, fresh lily, honeysuckle, dewy petals, Sambac jasmine and Chinese Sambac jasmine absolute. The sleek woods accord combines two types of patchouli, Madagascar vanilla, amber wood and soft musk.

Model Arizona Muse (whose name fits perfectly) is the face of the new fragrance. The fragrance is available as 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum. Modern Muse was launched in 2013.

Mandarin Orange

Tuberose Lily Flower Petals Honeysuckle Jasmine Sambac Chinese Jasmine

Patchouli Patchouli Leaf Amber Musk Madagascar Vanilla Woody Notes

Narciso Rodriguez for Her Eau de Parfum
Lovely

Modern Muse Fragrance Reviews

naomigirl11
naomigirl11

For perfumes with jasmine in it, I find this one has a nice fresh jasmine scent unlike the jasmine in Burberry London. I quite enjoy this fragrance as it is light and reminds me of the jasmine tea you drink in a Chinese restaurant. I don't understand why there are so many dislikes...

pfcs
pfcs

I bought a gift set with the EDP, plus a purse size, and a tube of body lotion. I like the combination of floral/woods well enough, and I was in the mood to try something a little different and take advantage of the gift with purchase.

Unfortunately, this is nowhere near the long lasting product of my beloved Youth Dew that I've worn for over forty years. Neither does it last like Spellbound or Cinnabar, which I also wear. I would say it is even less long lasting than Sensuous.

I probably wouldn't buy again because it just doesn't last like Youth Dew. I would definitely buy the body lotion, though to wear alone after a bath. The loton seems to smell stronger and last longer. Next gift time, if I'm not low on YD, that's what I'll buy.

magiccclaw

As a follow up... I wrote yesterday that it was my first day wearing this perfume. Between yesterday and today's review I can say that it doesn't last long in my skin. Tomorrow I'll try using more sprays.

magiccclaw

This is my first day wearing this perfume. I can say when I tried it at the store it did last for very long on my skin and for today I've been really smelling it on me. I guess is part of the PH and skin of everyone and it all depends on it.

I agree that yes, it's classy and femenine (looking now through the ingredients and seeing Jasmine it's a great part of it), but I fell in love with this scent because it reminds me of wet soil and a deep wood. Also I wanted so say, personally, I think this scent is a bit 'male' that's why I love it.

Cookiefan
Cookiefan

I like this perfume but there seems to be something in there that doesn't agree with me. I think I might not like the musky part of the smell.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I have both Lovely and NR so I figured Id try this one. Modern Muse is not really interchangeable with either, it has the musk and the floral but it feels more mature and polished than either Lovely or NR. It doesn't have the "dirty" aspect of NR or the somewhat sharp opening note of Lovely. I would wear Modern Muse when I want to feel cultured or artistic. No it doesn't have the biggest sillage or the longest wer but they are both average.
I will say I hate tuberose and I usually avoid string white florals but somehow. in this it works, wither the notes are in the backround or maybe they are mixed just right. Once again Estee lauder suprises me.

Vivette
Vivette

I´ve recently tried this fragrance as I wanted to have something really feminine and classy to wear in the fall/ winter season.To be honest, it smelled terrific on the sample paper, though I wouldn't call it "modern", as it reminded me a lot of the scents of the 80's. Lovely tuberose a la Carolina Herrera. Shame after half an hour there was nothing left on my skin.

lizzie81
lizzie81

I can see why this one has been compared to Sarah Jessica Parker's 'Lovely', the initial blast is very similar as is the overall vibe. Excellent news for lovers of 'Lovely' that will no longer be able to get it, is it really being discontinued?? Shame.

Although it is along the same lines this one goes off in its own direction about 10 mins in, there is a persistant strong floral note in here (the tuberose is quite heavy hitting) also there is less strong clean musk than 'Lovely'. Somehow it is softer around the edges and better able to melt into the skin. The far dry down is a clean, floral with perhaps a touch of sandalwood.

I must admit I am not getting any patchouli that I can positivly identify as such, sad news for me and those of us that love a dirty, earthy patchouli, however haters of it, fear not as I don't belive it plays much of a role here.

All in all a lovely clean floral, that just dances on the edge of a powerhouse white floral, but that reigns itself back in at the last minute. A good substitute for 'Lovely', or those that want to flirt with a heavy floral but are not quite ready to take the plunge completely. Totally wearable for everyday and any occasion. Has a very classy, refined vibe. Lasting power is somewhat disappointing, about 3 hours on me :(

Undra
Undra

A bit disappointed. The scent does not last as long as I want. And it’s rare that it doesn't because the majority of Estee Lauder's perfumes have that characteristic. This fragrance I will not repeat!

dioraddictfan
dioraddictfan

Pleasant enough. It's basically Lauder's version of Narciso Rodriguez for Her or Elie Saab.

heather62
heather62

My best friend tried my fake Modern Muse oil yesterday and loved it so much that we decided to go to Dillards and try on the real thing, walk around for awhile, and see if it was worth the $98 plus tax for it.

While we loved the smell of it, 15 minutes later - gone. Smelled nothing.

We were both glad that we didn't spend the money for it because it surely did not last, which is a big disappointment.

Guess I will stick with my fake oil.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Animalic? Patchouli? Jasmine?
Really?
I get none of that, what I smell the most is citrus, lily and metallic musk. A very clean and nice scent.
Unfortunately it becomes very, very sharp in the drydown.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I agree with some previous reviewers that this is reminiscent of several scents: Lovely, Allure, YR Comme une Evidence... Yet, it's not an awkward or discordant scent; it seems very well blended and sophisticated.

Unlike some EL fragrances on my skin, this has no early ugly phase and no "essence of EL". It starts with a floral-patchouli mix reminiscent of Lovely (patchouli lavender) and Comme Une Evidence (patchouli rose LOTV). While patchouli is listed as a base note, I smell it from the beginning and then it fades with time. After about an hour, the general floral-ness evolves into a specific jasmine and honeysuckle sweetness combined with a hint of musk and a light powderiness.

Unfortunately, in about 2-3 hours this scent is nearly gone on my skin. I think the sillage was at least fair, but longevity leaves much to be desired. However, it is a very pretty perfume which would almost be worth refreshing regularly throughout the day.

Kittycat63

I tested this again a few days ago in a department store and, despite the fact that I still really like this scent, and it seems to suit me very well, I am SOOOO shocked at the longevity of it (or perhaps that should be NON-longevity!).

This lasts barely an hour or two on my skin, despite it being an EDP, and when I enquired in the department store how much a 100ml (3/40z) bottle cost I was told it costs £85.00 (about $145.00 U.S. dollars). For that fairly steep price (for an easily obtainable and not particularly unique perfume) I would expect much better staying power. I literally could smell NOTHING AT ALL on my wrist after an hour or two - it had entirely evaporated! I can only assume that the Estee Lauder company are trying to pull the wool over our eyes in claiming this is an EDP. I have much cheaper EDTs that last 24 hours or more, so I really don't buy that this is an EDP at all.

In comparison, I tested two Impulse body spray scents today (costing about £1.50 / $2.50 each!) and both of those have lasted well over 12 hours now and are still going strong (subtly, not in-your-face!) and I can still, happily, smell them.

It's such a shame that such a likeable perfume has such crappy staying power and I would NEVER consider buying a perfume like Modern Muse for that reason, no matter how good it smells for the ridiculously short time it lasts.

As for the comparisons to other perfumes, the only one that I've also smelled / tested / have myself that smells a little similar is Gucci Guilty, which I also love but, thankfully, that lasts longer on my skin.

Either way, BIIIIIIIG disappointment that this perfume seems to be like a VERY diluted EDT ! !

Alexandrarae
Alexandrarae

I had high hopes for this one - very disappointing after all the hype! I really wanted to like it but my skin (and nose) said No. As it is heading into Winter here in Australia I will be making sure my "Sensuous" & "Sensuous Noir" is ready for the cold weather! Estee Launder is on a winner with those two - for me anyway.
Cheers, Alexandrarae

dreamndigital23
dreamndigital23

I HAVE FOUND A NEW FAVORITE!

To me this is ground breaking, on a nostalgic level, and the fact that I haven't been able to find a "jasmine dominating" perfume that didn't smell horrible.
This one is a masterpiece.

This is nostalgic to me in the way of hot jasmine tea that I used to drink in my teen years, and Estee Lauder Pleasures. There is a certain beauty in a all EL fragrances that really stand out to me and attract me. I like EL fragrances better than Chanel or most other "classic" designers. There is something sweet and special in them. The silage and longevity is incredible, a little goes a long way. My purse smells fantastic now just from the sample card.

The jasmine is a gorgeous explosion of blossoms, but not too heavy, it's strong, but not bitter like many other jasmine frags I've sampled. This scent truly brings me back to a simpler and comforting time in my life, as well as makes me want to steep a big pot of fragrant floral tea! Sweet, strong, relaxing jasmine tea. This scent is so beautiful, classy, and soothing all at once. I can't stop smelling the card, just, so, good.

This is delicious, beautiful. A nice mix of sweet tea gourmand and strong white florals that I love. A great balance of the tuberose, jasmine, honeysuckle. I will be wearing this fragrance to my new job, this will be fantastic as a classy office scent, but it's also well rounded...I can wear this during the day and at night on a fancy date with my husband. It is gentle, yet sophisticated, and accurately captures fine femininity. The bottle looks pretty chic as well.

Must purchase a bottle of this soon...it is worthy of being a top favorite.

hipchicagomom
hipchicagomom

Nothing groundbreaking here, but it smells exquisite on my skin. I L-O-V-E the jasmin with the white hot intensity of a thousand burning suns. Unfortunately it doesn't last past an hour, and for that reason I will not purchase. Makes me sad.

Lassie
Lassie

I sprayed this on in the department store and immediately thought, "this smells just like that old-fashioned classic eau de cologne, No. 4711". I just looked that up and found Modern Muse has many of the very same notes as No. 4711, so it wasn't my imagination.

Modern Muse is, however, more complex and flowery, certainly more long lasting. The lily and the jasmine are strong. I was sitting in the living room, my husband came downstairs and remarked twice during the evening how nice the room smelled. He thought it was some flowery scent coming in through the open window, but it was me! Modern Muse. I love it and may buy myself some for Mother's Day. God knows no one else will.

Cochlea
Cochlea

This is lovely! I was at the mall looking for Mother's Day gifts for my mother and I tried this. This is a very nice jasmine scent and nothing more. I think I would prefer a heavier and dirtier jasmine scent. After 4 hours I can still smell it on my skin. I would never purchase this but it is nice I think that one can wear this all year around.

m_mtz40
m_mtz40

No doubt this is a grand perfume n I think I get it. If one scent can bring ppl to call to mind so many beautiful frags then it is a Muse for the Modern day. In fact so many brands were called out in reference to this that I had to open my notebook n jot them down. I'm not even done reading the vast reviews n so far this has been compared to:

MUSE ESTÉE LAUDER
Elie Saab Le Parfum
Daisy, Coach, Miss Dior
Very Estee.
Lancome Miracle

Further it certainly follows that any one fragrance that can so evoke such a wide array of comparisons is in itself a Modern Example or Muse of many of the top contemporary favorites n a nod to what is best in that genre... Am I the only one that thinks that way?

dkny27
dkny27

Light, feminine, delicious springtime in a bottle. Have been testing and eyeing this since March...
So happy to see Estee Lauder make a beautiful comeback. Although this may have some similar aromas as some of their other scents, this one brings a new fresh twist; almost like 1990's meets 2014....
It has warm sweet flowers with the tiniest hint of musky woodiness.... ever so small. It isn't offensive, rather fresh, breezy and very feminine. The scent stays relatively the same hours later on my skin... No hidden surprises.

anitaoolong
anitaoolong

This is a lovely fragrance, whether modern or not. Yes, it may be on the quiet side, but it's like smiling at a happy thought that puts a bounce in your step.

Modern Muse opens with flash of citrus which is enjoyable, but fleeting. Then it's straight into the lily.

Lily isn't one of my favourite notes when dominant as I find it can make fragrances feel too cool for me. But to my nose the lily in Modern Muse is so well balanced by the honeysuckle, tuberose and jasmine.

I appreciate the warmth that the honeysuckle and a fresh jasmine give to the lily, and in turn, the lily compliments the white flowers by lending its cool/green tone to off-set some of their sweetness.

On my skin I get a pleasant dry down of musk and woods, but sadly, no vanilla and not much patchouli. It's worth a skin test to really assess this one.

blogsimonette
blogsimonette

My very first perfume - back in 1999 - was Dazzling Gold. I haven't worn an Estee Lauder perfume since those days, and I was a bit hesitant to try Muse; but after some creative salesmanship at my local cosmetics counter, I bought a small bottle. I am very glad I did purchase the scent, however. I have received many compliments - more than from any other scent I've ever worn. Also, it isn't at all overpowering, and it doesn't grow to annoy me (as many stronger scents do). I'm one who doesn't particularly enjoy gourmand, nor do I appreciate strong, strong scent, so I think Modern Muse is perfect for me. Jasmine or no jasmine, I think it's a lovely scent.

prettyswag

This smells very femme classic fresh..i like it!

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

let me preface this by saying that white florals often don't work for me and/or are not my cup of tea. i keep hoping to find a white floral for me, but they are few and far between.

this starts as a strong white floral that smells very chemically on my skin. something in here seems a bit sour or salty. it's so strong on me, it gives me a bit of a headache. i do get some underlying woods that are almost slightly masculine, and start dominating more on the drydown, but i can't figure out what they are. i think my skin amplifies white florals or turns them strangely sour, so unfortunately this doesn't work on me.

amnalenajasmine
amnalenajasmine

White flower paradise! Just like one of the reviewers below I first thought there was lily of the valley mixed into this summery bouquet and I started falling in love. However, reality check soon kicked in: After one hour all I could smell was faint traces of dying flowers. It reminded me of the slightly rotten odour of water in a vase after the dead bouquet has been thrown out. I am a white floral girl, but this just did not sit well on my skin. Such a sad end to a beautiful beginning!

JaiTee
JaiTee

A beautiful, big jasminey opening. On my skin, it remains a big floral, and the reported drydown doesn't emerge. It is a confident scent, and the introvert in me is intimidated.

Kittycat63

I haven't had time to go through the gazillion reviews for this perfume on here yet but I've been startled to see the slew of negative reviews towards the top that are 'slagging' this perfume off and saying it's bland, boring, nondescript, banal, overly floral, nothing special, blah, blah, blah, blah-di-blah.

Well, I'm in agreement with the Modern Muse lovers ... this IS a really, really nice perfume and I'm one of those who have fallen in love with it immediately on testing it today.

Modern Muse may not be a ground-breaking perfume ... no, it doesn't contain fish eggs like Womanity, no it doesn't blare in your face like the (puzzlingly) popular Alien, but SO WHAT ? ? I concur with Mistress Eva who eloquently stated, " ...I'm sooooo tired of the nondescript, bland (mostly celebrity) perfumes that can be found at every fragrance counter. Modern Muse is gem. It has the gravitas of a timeless classic, but without evoking grandma. It is a modern vintage, bold and unashamed - not for a timid woman and probably not for the sweetsy vanilla/gourmand lover."

That pretty much sums it up for me too ... in my opinion Modern Muse is lovely enough to be a modern vintage and it's a real gem. On me it smelled so lovely, delicate and fresh ... a real breath of fresh air amidst all the over-hyped and massively over-rated, 'jump on the bandwagon and claim you love it' type perfumes that drench the perfume market recently. One reviewer who liked Modern Muse said that it seemed to have been almost designed as a perfect office scent although she felt it wasn't special enough for a romantic evening, etc. Personally, I think it is perfect for the office because it is so delicate, fresh and totally not 'in your face' and annoying like some perfumes are (ALIEN .. ALIEN ... ALIEN ... ! ! ) BUT I also think it IS an ideal romantic date perfume and I have a feeling lots of men would love to smell this on a woman and would find it extremely appealing!

I see that many on here have compared it to the Narciso Rodriguez perfume in the pink bottle but I disagree. To me, Modern Muse is MUCH nicer than that and much more special. Also, the description of it on here seems to be floral / animalic but I don't get the animalic part at all ... to me it's a delicate, uplifting floral / fruity perfume. I also don't smell patchouli in it, thank god, because I really dislike that note!

I've never been a big fan of many of Estee Lauder perfumes in the past and have tended to find many of them a bit run-of-the-mill, a little bit boring, perhaps too flowery (Pleasures!) and also over-priced for what they are, but, along with Bronze Goddess and Sensuous Noir, I actually REALLY, REALLY loved this perfume and it's shot into my Wish List! The ONLY complaints I would have about it if I was being nit-picky would be a) the spray on the bottle is annoying and not too easy to use, and b) this didn't last long on my skin, or else it was a bit drowned out by the numerous other perfumes I tested today in the department store! I couldn't smell it much after about 3 hours. Ordinarily, that would almost certainly put me off from thinking about buying a relatively costly perfume but I did love Modern Muse so much that I might actually consider getting a bottle at some point anyway, and definitely I'll be testing it again by itself, with and without cream on my skin, to see how it holds and whether it has a little better staying power when my nostrils aren't filled with the melange of about 10 other perfumes wafting up towards them!

The assistant at the Estee Lauder counter said to me, when I expressed how much I was liking Modern Muse, that she also loved it and had a bottle of it herself. She was very pretty and reminded me a little of Natalie Portman in that she was kind of timelessly pretty and elegant looking and this perfume fits the bill perfectly for that kind of woman. I've been complimented over the years to that effect too (except the Natalie Portman part .. the only celebrities I've been compared to so far that I can recall are Kylie Minogue and Shirley Manson, the singer from Garbage and the now actress!) so maybe that's also why this perfume appeals to me so much too but who knows?!

Anyway, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this perfume and, in fact, in some ways for me the less popular it is the better because I don't like smelling like every other woman out there BUT I want it to be popular enough so that Estee Lauder will not get rid of it suddenly and that it will become a staple of their perfume collection. It deserves to.

Oh, and, for the record, in my opinion Modern Muse outstrips Pleasures by a million miles! The success of Pleasures baffles me - for me I've always found it incredibly bland, incredibly (and annoyingly) floral and incredibly dull yet inexplicably it seems to be so popular and, no doubt as a result, is over-priced and, to my mind, it's not even worth a small fraction of what it costs. Modern Muse, on the other hand, is a standout to me and worth every penny!

jake.shouse

O'k have worn 3121 by prince this smells nothing like Modern Muse 2nd this smells good but no staying power I have that problem with too many darn perfumes that should not fade 3rd I will wear it in the summer only but after my bottle is gone never never will rebuy not special enough... Not a huge launch if I may say so. My heart belongs too Beautiful.. That's my scent.

Endymion
Endymion

This a flop, even that EL wanted this to be a major release. Not popular, no buzz about it, almost nobody buys it. You don't really see it on shelves and on perfume sites.

Sensous remains EL latest successful release.

pusia
pusia

I got a 2.9 ml sample from EL and having sniffed it till the last drop I must admit it is just another wearable and banal fragrance with prevailing jasmin note. Good for offices.
EL focuses on launching frags that sell well but are not art. Sad:(

Migalex
Migalex

Very common fragrance. I wold classify it as fruity floral I think. I do not fnd it pleasnt or interesting. What I detect most is citrus, jasmine, patchouly and amber. Poor silage and very poor staying power.

tammyk883
tammyk883

It reminds me of the way Charmin toilet paper smells. As silly as that sounds. And its really similar to the Estee Lauder Goddess I think.

aristouka
aristouka

what a surpise! so pleasant smell, brings in mind the blend of "lovely" by sarah jessica parker but with better longevity and sillage. a safe to wear perfume,smells feminine and modern indeed! i will purchase it for sure , a perfume for the modern woman-girl-mum-girlgriend-lover!!!

bren400
bren400

There's a pretty note in this, don't know what it is, but it is a no-go for me.

Ulusia
Ulusia

I tried it in a mall. The first impression was good, it reminded me of powdered fair pink color. But after frequent sniffing of my wrist I got a slight headache. Middle and driedown was really synthetic. I am glad I didn´t buy it.

isdemary91
isdemary91

Huele delicioso, es una pena que en mi no fija bien, es algo cara para estar retocando cada 3 horas. No la volveré a comprar,

Alitza
Alitza

Everyone seems to love it for a different reason but I can't see any of them. As said by so many, it just depends on your skin and your nose I suppose. I didn't like it in the bottle and hoped that it would change on my skin but it stayed exactly the same. I see someone going up to the attic to find an old shoe box covered in dust and cobwebs, they open it hoping to find a treasure but finding only an orange car air freshener from the 80's. I had some oranges and a can of mandarin orange at home and this smells nothing like an orange. Its more someones "idea" of an orange, not juicy & fresh but very synthetic. The dirty orange smell must come from one of the floral notes but I don't know which.

I wore it for 2 days hoping to change my mind then I sprayed it on my mother who is 69 years old. On her it smelled very floral at the start then synthetic oranges. It smelled like a woman her age but one who has never toiled, or worried, who still exercises and has a tight body, who wears full makeup to the grocery store, and carries expensive bags- the very antithesis of my mum! She didn't like it either and reminded me that Estee Lauder does everything with a heavy hand, even their moisturizers have that super heavy floral old fashioned scent.

Not really a modern feeling if you ask me but more one of a vintage wealthy older lady which I suppose isn't horrible, just not for me.

No longevity, after 30 minutes I had to press my nose to my wrist. No silage.

bsmith2408
bsmith2408

There are a lot of negative reviews about this frangrance! I personally love it! It's a very crisp clean smell, maybe the Madarine orange?
I have been anxiously awaiting Spring so I can begin to wear this beauty again!

b.a.denney
b.a.denney

I really don't care for this at all. It's just overly floral to me. It doesn't seem to have anything to balance the strong floral notes. If you like a purely floral fragrance, you'll probably like this. There seems to be a lot of white floral in this. I lot of reviewers say they can really smell the honeysuckle, and I can smell it, but I feel it gets overpowered by all the other florals. I would never buy this. I probably won't even use up my sample. Yes, on me, it's that bad. Just not my thing at all.

Octoberamy
Octoberamy

Tried it at the EL counter. It's pleasant, but very ordinary. At least it's wearable, unlike the other EL fragrances, which I find awful (sorry), like Pleasures, Pleasures Delight, and especially Youth Dew.

sunshinegurl17
sunshinegurl17

When I first put this on, I instantly smelled the fruity orange.....it didn't smell much like orange...just fruit. I LOVED that! It's been about 40 minutes and the fragrance has mellowed to a beautiful musky/woody/floral. I REALLY smell the jasmine (it smells almost exactly like the jasmine plant I smelled at Lowes yesterday)and the musk and wood notes as well. Very well rounded. Very classic. Reminds me of something women would wear in the 40's-50's. Reminds me of my grandma. This is definitely a mature fragrance. If you are under 21, I would not suggest you wear this fragrance unless you are working in an environment that you need to be perceived as more mature....like a law student! :)

I'd recommend this for everyone over 21 just because it's a mature fragrance and could be overwhelming due to the heavy white florals.

My husband said that he would like it if I wore it....that it was a toned down version of Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds. I think it smells very similar to Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely.

I would buy this.

Ioli19
Ioli19

I really like this one, I get so much gorgeous honeysuckle and creamy jasmine, one of the most delightful white florals, easy to wear anywhere anytime. Very fresh and calming. Soft. Not in your face, rather elegant.

However, I won't be repurchasing , I finished the bottle in no time... The longevity is ridiculous on me, talking about 1 hour! Kept having to re spray, at the end gave it to my mum in the hope it lasts longer on her, yes it does...like 2 hours! Shame, but went from top to middle notes and then onto nothing in record time!

Chiquis
Chiquis

This might not make sense to anyone but me, but Modern Muse is a very professional scent. It almost smells like it was designed for the office. It's a basic clean, fresh, white floral scent. I can't imagine anyone labeling it as sexy or vampy... Or anyone choosing it for a date or romantic evening. Modern Muse is 100% daytime, workplace. Also, I recommend no more than two sprays so you don't overwhelm your coworkers :)

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

I usually dislike patchouli in florals but, apart from a slight pungency on the initial spritz, it doesn't overpower the florals as it does in Coco Mademoiselle or Flowerbomb.

My only disappointment is that the jasmine and tuberose could transform into something transcendental but it doesn't quite get there (let's blame it on patchouli). It almost does, however, and the softness is nice. Pleasant, suitable for all subdued settings.

Low to moderate sillage. Wears off quite beautifully, as is expected from a Lauder. Lasting. Well, Lauder doesn't seem to produce anything but quality, even if this doesn't quite hit it out of the park.

It was amazing when I first sprayed it. Deliciously delicate fruity-floral. Just perfect. I already thought that I had found a new favorite.
But it changed and now I don't like this too fresh jasmine-amber composition. Way too floral for me. It's still good, just not perfect.
Top notes smelled perfectly, base notes not as much.

Medi
Medi

This is in did a beuty! It is all about white flowers. Longlivity is amazing. Same good quality as allways Estee Lauder. Good for all accations. New Love!

Jasmine, tuberose and honeysuckle set high expectations for a white floral lover such as myself. Unfortunately this fragrance is sterile and "perfumey" with a slight "hairspray" impression.
I definitely get the impression of honeysuckle, but it is too soapy for me to call it true to life. Vanilla is on the less sweet, more powdery side.
Disappointed.

IamABluegrassFan
IamABluegrassFan

I like this scent because it smells very natural. It is different than many other perfumes that just smell like a department store. This isn't personally my favorite kind of scent. But it is nice.

- From,
Hannah

Sherihan
Sherihan

Nothing special , they didn't bring new thing to the perfume world,that's it. I have nothing to add on what other friends here said, like: smells like Narciso's ,and Idyle.... It really smells like a mix of both. It doesn't mean it's BAD , no, it's still of good quality and nice balanced composition . I detect rose, musc , white flowers... I didn't purchase it at all. I'd recommend you if you like it(and I'm sure a lot will love it), to consider it as an Extrait ,it's very very concentrated, just 2 sprays are enough in my oppenion.

arlina1
arlina1

This had to grow on me from a sample after a sniffing trip around the Estee counter. At first the flower was a put off for me (not a big fan of floral) but after it settles down it is very sophisticated.

I ALWAYS spray it well before I am going to leave the house so the in your face honeysuckle has had a chance to mellow out. Nice for someone who doesn't mind being bold

Edit: After owning this since it came out I am falling more and more in love with it and I really don't like floral! I don't know why some say it has no longevity. I can still smell it after 8-10 hours. It is full dry down but there none the less.

Estee perfumes are not everyone's cup of tea. Even I can't stand a few of their bombs and I LOVE Estee Lauder products, skin, perfume, makeup, everything. Anyway they are quality, you can tell just from one spray.

the_new_esta
the_new_esta

A little too fresh for my liking. Nothing offensive about it - but nothing overly pleasurable for me either.

At first, it is not bad. Fresh flowery. But, after a while, it becomes sultry white flowers fragrance. Sleek, yes, but powdery sleek, at least on my skin.
And the worst of all is that tuberose-lily connection. Strange, it smells like some house detergent, so artificial.
All in all, not for me.

mslipsticklvr
mslipsticklvr

I have always loved Estee Lauder fragrances. Nothing has come out from the company in ages until now. I loved it from the get go. The winning call was the compliments I get. For instance, I took my little dog into the groomers and some of the employees walked in and said "omg what smells so good?" When I said I am wearing Modern Muse by Estee Lauder. They had a whiff of the bottle I had in my handbag and said "that's it!". I promptly purchased the body lotion to layer.

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

At this point, my collection has become quite vast and it takes something really special to wow me. Modern Muse blew me away! I love classic/vintage perfumes, though few of them wear well on me, and I'm sooooo tired of the nondescript, bland (mostly celebrity) perfumes that can be found at every fragrance counter. Modern Muse is gem. It has the gravitas of a timeless classic, but without evoking grandma. It is a modern vintage, bold and unashamed - not for a timid woman and probably not for the sweetsy vanilla/gourmand lover.

Roslaug
Roslaug

Finally got round to testing the modern muse today.

It opens with very noticeble citrus tinge. Soon thereafter there is a floral opening with jasmine being the most noticable along with honeysucle. It truly is a white floral. It was enjoyable how after a couple of hours all of a sudden rose becomes more noticable.

It dies off pretty quickly (2-3 hours)and a demure base of amber lingers on for a couple of more hours.

Modern muse is a pleasant scent in most ways (I find lasting power to be a disappointment) and should appeal to the masses. It is suitable for most occasions and should not offend anybody. And for women who are searching for just that, I advise to take a whiff.

However it lacks a wow-factor, lacks ingenuity and does not break any molds, so for women who like to take chances (fragrantically speaking) this scent would rather be named boring muse.

nitschevo
nitschevo

Finally got around to smell and test this. First reaction "really pretty!", Because it is.In my opinion this is a very pretty and soft floral with a little touch of musk, patch and woods, but the flowers really take the stage. With my skin I have a 50/50 chance with Jasmine - sometimes its nice, sometimes it isn't and turns gross. This one plays out very well and stays the same for quite some time before it becomes too soft to be recognised without pressing your nose onto your arm. :) I would say that this is a safe scent. I give it a like because it is not unqiue enough for me to vote love.

Tanyaoxo
Tanyaoxo

This perfume reminds me so much of Valentina(which I love!) Sweet and floral, you can't go wrong. Pretty

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

When I first smelled this perfume...the image that came to my mind was...Kristen Stewart. Pretty in its own way (I guess), attractive to some, and made me wonder why does this seem so popular despite it being so generic, sterile, emotionless? I was in no way moved nor inspired by the fragrance. Its just "there", like a simple bouquet of white flowers in a furnitureless white room with no windows.

Some people enjoy minimalistic styles, and that is fine. But, I prefer victorian, baroque and roccoco...I love complexity that still harmonizes regardless of its multiple sources and my tastes carry over to what I enjoy in fragrances as well.

Smelling this perfume again begs me to ask the question...is this where the future of fragrances is heading? I certainly hope not.

Overall, I am not aMUSEd.

I love this a lot!

Carolann59
Carolann59

I like this quite a bit. Have tested it twice now (without knowing anything about it) and second time I said to my Husband, "it smells like Honeysuckle on the top note." He agreed then said, "But I like Honeysuckle!" The dry down is just a lovely soft and warm thing on me. Yay! I will probably buy this in a 1.7oz and see how it goes.

veda
veda

All I can smell is jasmine and freesia.I can't see freesia in the ingredients but it's somewhere in between the notes.However it's a nice perfume for everyday use recommended in springtime!

Erin perfume addict
Erin perfume addict

This does not smell bad to me, but something is definitely missing. Reminds me of Armani Code and YSL Elle. Nothing special. I would not buy this.

gmstrack
gmstrack

I first sniffed Modern Muse by Estée Lauder in the department store. The perfume was sprayed on paper by the smiling sales associate and wafted under my nose. I smiled politely and said something like, “that’s nice; a light citrus-floral.” My inner dialog, however, could have been described as a cynical tirade and I dismissed MM as another generic designer release in a pretty bottle.

Recently, my mother acquired a MM mini and I decided to actually (gasp) try on the perfume. She held her wrist out and I was surprised when the “floriental” revealed white florals floating on top of a sensual amber-musk. So I rolled up a sleeve and sprayed. The apologetic citrus opening quickly died down to reveal a large dose of serious, animalic white floral; I wouldn’t have experienced the fleshy jasmine and oily musk on paper.

Does MM smell like Narciso Rodriguez for Her? A little, but as other reviewers pointed out, For Her is richer and more suggestive. Perhaps one could think of MM as an easy to wear white floral suitable for all ages; unfortunately crowd pleasing does not equal innovation.

cockapoo9237
cockapoo9237

Its too heavy of a generic floral for me. THe first couple of hours it reminds me of a stronger Calvin Klein Dowtown. But 2-3 hours I actually like it on my skin...it becomes a bit citrusy to me.

jilligan
jilligan

I get no floral at all on my skin - only woods, vanilla and patchouli. I was told by the sales person that it would smell different to everyone. The dry down is exactly like Armani Code for Women - I wore Modern Muse and Code for Women on alternating days - smelled my sweaters a week later and they were exactly the same! I still love it, and is a great fall/winter scent. A little too strong for warmer days on my skin.

flowerpwrz91
flowerpwrz91

I tested it today, on my wrist and on a tester strip. When I got home I threw my tester strip on a shelf and left the room. When I came back a few hours later I could smell this really pretty, lush honeysuckle smell and couldn't understand where it was coming from. Then I remembered the tester and tracked the smell down!
The thing that amazes me is that its the first time I have ever smelt honeysuckle in a note that smells like REAL honeysuckle - that same perfume that wafts up from a honeysuckle plant just before the sun goes down and the moon comes out.
I'm really impressed with this perfume. It seems to have the right balance of freshness AND richness, which I like in a perfume.
It's probably a bit too much (too complex?) for the floral/fruity brigade to be able to handle, but Definitely NOT 'Old Lady!'
But definitely one for the Grown-Up Girls!

Perfumella
Perfumella

I love a good uber-floral and I adore this fragrance and have to say that it lasted upward of 7 hours on me (I have very cold skin). The sillage is amazing. It reminds me greatly of pittosporum (also known as white holly - a gorgeous Aussie native). Late spring/early summer in a bottle.

The white flowers caress the woods and musk without losing their integrity; the patchouli is very faint on my skin but adds, no doubt, to the longevity of the perfume. The jasmines don't overpower but partner the honeysuckle beautifully. I can really pick it out above the other white flowers - that pure clean note of greenish translucent white.

There's a nod to Black by Kenneth Cole, which is also a very white floral that powers on in the heat without suffocating the wearer.

It is contemporary inasmuch as everything old is new again - very 80's, yet vastly improved upon. My collection runs into 4 figures, from vintage to modern, and I will absolutely make room for this one. Very few perfumes smell like it. It smells heart-breakingly beautiful on me and I'll definitely be buying a large bottle!

lljwagg
lljwagg

I have to be honest and say I don't dislike this, but I am really disappointed, it is an Eau De Parfum yet is more like an Eau De Toilette, no real lasting power. It is definitely not modern, rather old fashioned - but not in a bad way. A generic soapy smell that is best for spritzing during the day. In all honesty the fragrance does not justify the hefty price tag, Avon have done better for a quarter of the price. Time for Estee Lauder to rethink their fragrance line me thinks - give it some real pizzaz! My advice to anyone looking for a daytime fragrance would do better - and save some money - by buying anything Elizabeth Arden.
*I think I should point out that this was bought for me, I wouldn't have bought it for myself. I shall be using this up asap so I can move on to something more emotive.

freddinos
freddinos

Hmmm... Is it really a modern perfume? I am not sure. Tested it thoroughly a number of times, but it failed to impress me or to create an image of a modern woman wearing it, leaving a coveted trail behind her. What I got was a -quite synthetic to be completely honest- blend of flowers, that turned a bit sour on my skin. Lily of the valley, loads of jasmine and a fleeting hint of honeysuckle. I would categorise this as a true floral, not a floral woody musk, best suited to warm weather. In the winter it might feel quite screetchy. As another reviewer mentioned, it felt quite ordinary and all it was missing was the pink pepper note to evoke the fully blown 'been there done that' feeling. On the plus side, it stays true to the Estee Lauder character, so EL fans might enjoy this release. It must be the aromachemicals this company is using though, that unfortunately make its perfumes a no-go for my skin chemistry...

jake.shouse

I like this I don't want a big bottle but maybe a 1 ounce!

Beach Girl
Beach Girl

This is just gorgeous! I don't find it boring or uninteresting at all. In fact, this is a fragrance that has a definite kick to it. The most noticeable note on my skin is the lily, which gives the whole floral mixture a real zing. Lily is defined as a scent that has 'spicy and waxy note which can become intoxicating with aspects of brine and sweet floralcy.' I do catch a wee bit of the honeysuckle too, and the longer it sits on my skin the bolder the patchouli and woody notes become. Adore it!

Tovah

I see this is very popular with reviewers on EsteeLauder.com who are in the "65-74" age bracket. It definitely reminds me of something my mother would wear and enjoy, (i.e. Fifth Avenue).
For me, Modern Muse is a Jessica McClintock 1988 redux. Or Elizabeth Arden Splendor. Super flowery-feminine, that, as an SA put it to me, "Will remind men of Grandmother's garden." (I assume she was trying to scare me away?) To me it smells like a "Girl next door" scent; something Nancy Drew's friend Bess would wear (Nancy would wear Sensuous).

kelleysmall
kelleysmall

I'm sorry to say that I find this hideously strong. Despite the hype, it's no different than any other far-too-strong jasmine composition. I get an overpowering muguet from it as well although not listed in the ingredients. The lady at The Bay said it only had two levels. She also said it was the fragrance this year most likely to win awards. Just WAY too overpowering, like White Diamonds on steroids. Hugely overwhelming. To me it's what perfumers call "une soup." It smells like a jumble of Gucci Guilty, Jimmy Choo, Dioressence and Beyond Paradise. I don't find it attractive at all. Sorry, nothing different about this one. I tried Private Collection while I was there, and that was much better! And more interesting and symphonic.

jessem
jessem

I love this scent! The name is appropriate as it is very modern, yet very sensual and sophisticated. It is pretty mellow, but in this case, that indicates really good synergy! It's the best thing I've smelled in a long time and I think it will be around for a good many years.

violetblack
violetblack

this is nice, despite the tuberose and funerary notes of lily.
I like it. It has an addictive quality and I think it's perfect for the Fall and Winter.

LB152
LB152

Forgive me…although I consider myself somewhat of a fragrance sophisticate…or snob…who abhors most things that you can find at your local Macy's or Bloomingdales department store…

I actually like this.

I'll admit there is something familiar…and something a bit synthetic…but it works. I revel in boozy scents that make men raise their heads when I enter the room…or that make their ladies clutch them a little tighter..and this seems to do it. I don't know…

Maybe it's my chemistry…

Or the fact that I fancy orange blossom (one of two citrus scents that I like…the other bergamot)

Or…the patchouli or amber that gives it a slight seductive flair (IMO)…

I don't know…

I like it.

Enough that Im going to purchase a small bottle. I think this can be quite versatile and wearable in either summer or winter.

The initial sniff does remind me a bit of Narisco Rodrigues…but just a BIT.

Perhaps just a small crumb...

It must be the orange blossom that tops this off.

SuzanneEnnazus1
SuzanneEnnazus1

I was given a sample of this. Maybe it just doesn't suit my skin, as I can't get the thought of the smell of apple mixed with melted plastic. It is very modern, synthetic and different, but where Jean-Paul Gaultier, MaDame succeeds with that kind of thing, this one just doesn't give me the same uplifted feeling. I'm not even that fussy with perfume, but I draw the line at melted plastic.

I can see why some might like it, as I can see it suiting a serious business woman or an airline attendant, but not a young fun fragrance market as the name suggests. By calling it modern, I assume it's aimed at a young market? I can't see it suiting those types.

fleurdefi
fleurdefi

I love this perfume and it kinda makes me sad that so many seem to be completely underwhelmed by it. I wish I knew how to write reviews better so I could explain why I think it is wonderful. It opens with a soft, clean blend of white flowers that is bolstered by a warm honeysuckle and dries down to a warm, woodsy musk. I usually hate patchouli, but thankfully I can't detect it at all. I guess Modern Muse is considered so boring because notes like patchouli and tuberose and cleaned within an inch of their lives. But to me, all those clean scents blend beautifully together to create what is a quietly strong and uplifting fragrance.

suile
suile

A sharp jasmine fragrance, reasonably long lasting and strong. Nothing remarkable but a miniature from the Christmas box set is nice.

Karineabdel
Karineabdel

Ce parfum sera mon prochain cadeau de Noël ! Je l'ai essayé quelques jours et c'est toujours une odeur très attirante et séduisante'. C'est un parfum d'automne avec une bonne odeur de tuberose. Ce parfume est à mon avis très unique. Une belle composition qui donne un très beau résultat.

leeleeB
leeleeB

I do like this, it may be boring to some but I have smelled it on other people and it does smell lovely. I have it and I do like it alot, fresh, pretty, and I like the bottle.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

Modern Muse by Estée Lauder is incredulously, stupendously, and remarkably... boring. Yes. A faint citrusy musk is all this is, and it's already been done - too many times. The motto: Be an inspiration. An inspiration to a group of teenage girls gaggling about boys at your local mall, maybe. Now, I'm not saying it smells bad. It does not. I might like it better if it did smell bad because they might be taking a risk (which I can appreciate), but this is another safe, inoffensive, fruity-floral with timid wood notes, gentle musk, poor lasting power, and an unfortunate price tag. Welcome back, 2007! Nice to see you again YSL Elle, Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche, Acqua do Gioia, Black XS, Dior Addict Shine. I'm surprised Modern Muse does not contain pink pepper, at this point.

I was able to guess three of the prominent notes correctly before I looked them up here (and I am not always great at picking notes out on my own). I guessed lemon (citrus), jasmine, and musk. Indeed, those are three of the notes contained within Modern Muse that show themselves the most on my skin. The patchouli is significant upon opening, yet it fades away quickly - as does the lasting power of Modern Muse.

This launch was surrounded by a suspenseful hype that is unmatched. Sensuous was more deserving of the attention when it was introduced in 2008. I agree with a previous reviewer that Estée Lauder doesn't attract the teen market, so why release something like this? Perhaps they ARE trying to make a break towards the younger crowd. In doing so, they decided another safe fruity floral with some musk would be appropriate, and I guess it is. It's very mainstream, unopinionated, lukewarm. Let me reiterate: it is not a bad perfume by any means. It's simply nothing new or original. If it is your cup of tea, it does have a fresh feel to make a nice summer fragrance; just keep in mind the lasting power is not strong.

pippab
pippab

A pleasant enough summery floral fragrance, but I don't find it to be anything out of the ordinary. The musk and tuberose aren't at all evident to me. Meh.

dawnleereed
dawnleereed

On me....reminiscent of Valentino Valentina. I think it's the woody component. Unfortunately, both smell nice...but neither lasts.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

I was at Ulta today, and I decided to test this out just because people were comparing this to Narciso Rodriguez. Well... Sigh... Ahh This is what comes to mind when I tried this today. To compare this to Narciso is the same thing as to compare Calgon to Serge Lutens. Very unoriginal, unmemorable and cheap smelling. In few months we will begin seeing it at Marshals and TJ max in the sale section. Bluh

Smunky
Smunky

Testing a sample of this today. I was a little wary of the tuberose note in it, as it seemed from the notes listed it would be more prominent, and prominent tuberose is not my friend. But it's actually very well blended in with the other notes and isn't an issue at all. The real problem for me with Modern Muse, other than the dismal longevity and sillage, is that I HAVE this perfume already, only it's much a fuller, longer-lasting scent - and it's called Lovely. Modern Muse, to me, is what an "eau de Lovely" flanker might smell like. So if you like Lovely, but find it too strong, this may be for you.

ktyhan
ktyhan

It's a nice white floral scent... lots of jasmine's bitter sweetness... but it's a pity it does not last long... does remind me of Pleasure and Kenzo Amour Florale... Overall a pleasant smell

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

Well, It is finally in New Zealand. I tested it and loved the initial punchy patchouli. Sadly this did not last the distance and even though I liked it, I would not pay for it just yet. I just wished the initial smell remained. Yes, I know we are all about "clean" safe smelling perfumes, but I hoped that this would be different. Being modern is not to be safe but to take a leap of faith and take the lead. (I guess I was hoping for a modern form of Aromatics Elixir). Close but no cigar. However I will certainly be giving it another chance as my husband liked it.

rockegg
rockegg

While still wet it was very, very odd. I understand why some people report "bug spray." However, the dry-down is a pleasant, sweet floral. Unique without being radical. It reminds me of one of those movies where the hero and heroine fight when they first meet, but fall in love later. I won't buy it but I don't dislike it.

Caeroly
Caeroly

Modern Muse is a lighter and contemporary version of Intuition of Estée Lauder. Amber, Mandarin Orange and Woody Notes are very noticeable in both of them. Not my favorite combination. I was expecting something new that would surprise me! I don't think this Modern Muse will have too much room in their counters in a couple of years... Anyway, I like this version better. Great longevity and sillage.

juliaten
juliaten

I'm not a fan of annoying and too sweet smells. This one is too strong. I sprayed it on the bottom of my shirt and stil could smell it all the time like it's right there in front of my face. So I got overwhelmed by this smell and I don't need another headache from perfume industry, so I took the shirt off. The next day I put on the same shirt and I like how the smell transformed into a light and sweet but not too annoying sweet smell. So, guys, just keep in mind this perfume is very strong. I might use it once in a while when I know I'm gonna be outdoor for a while. I can't really say I neither hate the smell nor like it, it's just an ok... I mean it's not the worst I've ever tried, so yeah, I click "like it".

LisaMichelle
LisaMichelle

I got a sample in the mail this afternoon. I smelled it from the tiny bottle and thought it might be a bit too strong so I carefully spritzed a tiny bit on one wrist. It smelled like altered bugspray and a few drops of citrus and a whole lot of flowers. WOW! Over powering so I rubbed my wrist together. It reminded me of a church lady in an elevator. You know the one.. you are trapped in a small space trying hard not to gag and when you get to leave... her odor has fixed itself to the fibers of your clothing. I tried to wash it off and it only smeared it around making the smelly spot bigger. I nearly had a panic attack trying to rid myself of this toxic repellant that I almost opened a can of tomato juice for relief. After a few tries and baking soda I ended up showering... I had to use my exfoliating gloves and a bar of Zest to remove the stinch. FINALLY! Gone! I don't know what everyone else here is reviewing. Modern Muse is nothing short of nausiating. I expect more from E.L.

muskymale
muskymale

I smelled it today at my local Boots, and immediately it reminded me of Paco Rabanne's One Million for women. Modern muse is generic and devoid of any personality, at best.

sammydevlin
sammydevlin

I do like this but it doesn't wow me. I probably wouldn't buy it for myself. The initial burst of mandarin orange is very intense without being sharp, and after 10 or 15 minutes that gives way to the flower petals smell. I only got lily for a few minutes.

Estée Lauder has created some stinkers. And Modern Muse isn't one of them. It is very very fresh, very pretty floral, maybe not an out of this world scent, but a real fresh and young smelling floral..there is beauty in simplicity.

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

Tested this over the weekend - 25 minutes and it's all over, red rover.

Is it nice? Yep. Is it unoffensive and what I'd call very shy? Yep. Does it smell like every other safe floral from the last few years? Yep.

Projection is non existent, Sillage is average and longevity...zero. I don't rate 25 minutes, sorry.

Everyone I personally know who's tried this says the same thing I do, which is it doesn't last and that it's shy, safe and I don't mean to offend anyone, but very boring.

Estee Lauder - you've had some absolute masterpieces. This one isn't in the same universe as perfumes like Beyond Paradise and Youth Dew. Stop making such safe scents...you can do better. How about wowing us all again with something original??!

0/10. Genuinely don't like leaving negative reviews but I can't think of any positives with Modern Muse apart from it possibly being perfect for women who only want a very short lived, shy experience with a perfume.

Tine1world
Tine1world

I received a freebie of this last week. You know the vial's on a card. A store try also. I felt instantly reminded of those late 80's and early 90's heady musky floral fragrances, that all women seemed to wear especially to night clubs. The Sales assistant said it was supposed to smell like Coco by Chanel. Ms Lauders fragrances traditionally are long lived and are easily identifiable. They are quality fragrances. Although this is not for me personally. I can see a market for it. I also felt that it smelt vaguely like Chopard's Wish. Which is also in that vain of fragrances. Cheers T.

maggienc
maggienc

I really expected to like this perfume. I love all the notes in it and was surprised that, to me, it smells like my grandmother's house. Literally, I sprayed it and it brought back great memories of my grandmother. It's a very old lady smell. It is very long lasting, though. I've tried to wash it off, taken a shower, etc, and I can still smell it a day later!

shanghaifleur
shanghaifleur

I don't find any resemblance to NR at all. Modern Muse is a nice, pleasant, but so inconspicuous floral perfume. I think they tried here to make something in the line of the very popular Pleasures, but Modern Muse is in no way of such caliber. I personally find it short lived, even after generous sprays and trying over skin and over clothes. It has a quite pungent first phase, and then I fleetingly get a timid jasmin which is remotely trying to mimick the opulent Elie Saab Le Parfum without never really ever getting there.

zaynaz
zaynaz

I got a couple of samples of this and I've given it a few tries so far. The first thing you get is the citrus, it's fresh, a little bit of orange blossom too, maybe and it vanishes in a couple of seconds. If you're spraying this on distractedly I think it will be missed.
Then it smells kind of turpsy, the florals are there, but it has this rather harsh turpentine smell (maybe the musk?). That mellows out very quickly and you get jasmine. I actually couldn't place the honeysuckle, I had the rare chance to compare a frag to the real thing and the jasmine I was smelling was definitely there but mixed with something else that was familiar but I couldn't name it until now. I'd say the jasmine dominates. I don't get patchouly. The woody note is there, in fact it is what projects more for me, but it's a really vague wood. As I'm typing I get the wood wafting up a bit, but if I wasn't paying attention I think I'd miss it. If I really hold my nose to my wrist the jasmine totally dominates, but it's got this vague varnish element to it, like wood plus varnish.

It's a nice jasmine based scent. Fresh, nice for spring, work safe and, like most of the Estee Lauder's I've smelled fairly simple and pleasant, but not groundbreaking. I don't mind it. Depending on the price I might buy a small bottle. I was going to dismiss the 'duality' of notes they waffle about, but actually I can see it, the jasmine's the belle of the ball, but the wood was invited to the party.

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

I smelled this in a magazine today. Surprise, surprise!!! A very ordinary and generic perfume for women. Now I'm no expert in women's perfumery, which makes it hard for me to tell differences between them, unless they smell like wood shavings or cat juice. Not a bad smell at all. In fact, it is quite pleasant but not very different. Give it a try though; it really is not bad.

lapioggianelpineto1977
lapioggianelpineto1977

Very ordinary...yes, the tuberose is noticeable but overall lacks originality completely. Boring. I was expecting more.

aqua76239
aqua76239

Like another reviewer below, I can't understand why so many voted that this smells like NR. There is no resemblance between them whatsoever . I was looking looking forward to trying this but it was a major disappointment .
My nose is finely tuned to tuberose normally but I couldn't smell it at all here. I got woodsy floral that was surprisingly average . I sprayed couple of good sprays on my hand and it didn't last long either.
I was hoping that EL will really make something interesting but alas no. I have no doubt many ladies will like it because its rather easily likable and unoffensive scent but I usually look for something with more uniqueness

In Vogue
In Vogue

For the first 15 mins. after spraying, I get a dirty 'sweat' smell. Must be the patchouli. Luckily, after 20 mins. this top note is gone. The jasmine note is predominant. The fragrance has a fresh, clean, outdoorsy air to it. It's slighty ozonic, like a cool breeze by the ocean or swimming pool, and it has a suntan lotion vibe, giving it an escapist quality. It also becomes a bit soapy, which is all part of the 'clean' sensation it imparts. Over the first hour, it becomes more floral, yet stays cool and ozonic, with a typical expensive smelling Estee Lauder musky base. After an hour, it becomes a skin scent, and the citrus note emerges. Sillage and longevity are disappointing, but I would try it with the body lotion, it may last longer. It is similar to Lovely, but 'fresher' and airier.

sonia.kassambara
sonia.kassambara

I love the scent. I just wish it didn't evaporate so fast on me. The woods+patchouli does a woodsy "swirl" in the air with the florals, reminiscent of the middle notes' effect of Poison.

It smells just a touch woody yet fresh and soft on me. I just wish it didn't hang like a fog around me for 10 minuets then stay close to the skin for 3 hours. It is an ill-timed EDT for me, not the consistent release and weight from an EDP.

Tovah

Good grief - I cannot imagine a scent that smells LESS like Narciso For Her than Modern Muse (to me)! What am I missing? (I LOVE Narciso For Her EDP. Haven't smelled EDT in years). Modern Muse, to my nose, is a vibrant (somewhat shrieky even) heavy-duty floral that is definitely a descendant of White Linen, Beautiful, and Pleasures. White flowers galore. I don't catch even a hint of Egyptian Musk. I smell jasmine, tuberose, honeysuckle, and lily, over a mellow, damp, woodsy musk. An utter coincidence today is that I wound up sitting with a woman who was wearing Modern Muse as well. I kept catching the fresh floral scent in the air, and I finally worked up the courage to ask about her scent. It turns out she was catching pretty whiffs of my fragrance and she couldn't figure out who she was smelling. In any case, our table smelled like a blooming white floral garden. I may decide to buy a full bottle of this because it's an easy, inexpensive every-day type fragrance that has terrific lasting power. I would recommend this to fans of Jessica McClintock, Daisy, Coach, Miss Dior, and other current popular florals.

possumke
possumke

So very similar to Narciso Rodriguez for her EDP... except it does not have the depth and lasting power of NR

anamalia
anamalia

very musky with a citrusy edge. It reminded me immediately of Narciso Rodriguez for her, in the sense that its very soft, and powdery. It doesnt strike me as anything amazing though.

It is definitely a daytime fragrance and office friendly. If you want a perfume that makes a bold statement, then look else where because Modern Muse is far from that.

Silage is okay, but fades quickly on me, and doesnt project far. I spritzed four times and after three hours I cant smell anything.

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

This is unmistakably an Estee Lauder fragrance from the get-go; at first sniff, similar to Pleasures and Very Estee. Then throw in some Lancome Miracle and SJP Lovely. I'm not knocking it. There's nothing to dislike about Modern Muse - it's soft and it's pretty. But it's just a little bit dull.

Sharyl
Sharyl

I'm a fan of a number of EL's fragrances, but I can't see this muse inspiring anybody.

fyetan
fyetan

Very heady jasmine-heavy fragrance.

It's a nice scent, but MAKE SURE YOU LIKE JASMINE. That's pretty much all I could detect. I was surprised even to read the notes and find honeysuckle listed as the most prominent one, because I usually find honeysuckle sweet and fresh. This was heavy heavy strong "thick" jasmine.

It had amazing longevity, on card it lasted 2 days and on skin, over 4 hours (disclaimer: my skin eats fragrances). Good projection, you can definitely notice that there is perfume in the air.

I don't enjoy white florals so I don't have much else to say, but I do appreciate that this is a good quality, new white floral scent on the market with good projection/longevity.

motherof3
motherof3

EVERYONE is using the same notes over and over and over sooooo DISAPPOINTED

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

This is a very nice musky floral, I must say though when I smelled this at first it reminded me of something else...but I just couldn't place my finger on it. Now I know many people are saying it reminds them of Narcisco Rodriguez but that's not what I got...I kept smelling the fragrance card I kept saying what is it what is it, then it came to me I faintly detected a familiarity that reminded me of Bvlgari Mon Jasmin Noir. Least that's what my nose got. Not to sure on longevity && sillage but it's musky so I imagine it'd last a while. It's a nice scent, but pity it smells like something already done, give it a try yourself and see. :)

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

A _stunning_ opening for such a woefully mundane fragrance. This will turn out to be a major misstep for the brand, especially considering the high quality of the last few fragrances. Particularly baffling was the choice of Harry Fremont, who has one of the worst track records for successful fragrances. Besides Juicy Couture and CkOne, it's as though he has composed almost exclusively for price-slasher clearance store shelves. Honestly, they should have just invested the money into pushing fragrances they already have on the market. The Private Collection series are excellent fragrances that have barely had any time on the market. What were they thinking?

sandrajj
sandrajj

This is nothing like Narcisco Rodriguez for Her!!! In fact, I'm so sorry I dropped $80.00 for this. Very unimpressed, even by Estee Lauder standards this is just blah.

Scout
Scout

Testing this one now as I write. I have to say I am so relieved to see people saying it reminds them of Narcisco Rodriguez, because that was actually my first thought! Not necessarily that the notes are identical; but rather that it has some of the same abrasiveness and assertiveness that perfumes like Rodriguez' can have. Sometimes florals can feel like they're inside your head combing you with a brush rather than soothing you with silk. [I find Pleasures and Chloe (- new version) to be the "brush" variety).
This definitely pops out of the bottle with an all-out assault. On my skin, some fragrances break down over the course of the day to where I literally feel their structure fall apart into rough components. Interestingly, this fragrance STARTS with that rough feeling, and fifteen minutes in, it develops this incredibly smooth and soothing bed of silky pleasant aura that I keep checking in with mentally. "Is the pleasantness still there?" Yep, ah, it's like I just picked up a fresh rose that has stargazer lily smudged on it and I'm breathing in all the parts of a flower that are attractive to humans, not pollinators. Ever catch a waft of a flowering tree on a warm spring day? This is it at the top. Lovely and smooth.
But then that abrasiveness at the bottom is still clinging to my skin and I wish I could wash that off and just be left with the aura of joy at the top. Need to give this one some more tests.

kaejuntun
kaejuntun

I finally got the chance to test Modern Muse last weekend. I was intrigued because of the notes and the associations with Narcisso Rodriquez for Her and SJP's Lovely, both being fragrances and I love.

At first I didn't get the link between Modern Muse and for Her and Lovely. I got faint, creamy clean white flowers, jasmine and honeysuckle in equal amounts, suprisingly quiet. As time went on, though, the relationship between Modern Muse, for Her, and Lovely became much more pronounced. Yes, they are indeed very similar. I don't know if it was my skin or my sense of smell or what, but Modern Muse was never a very present fragrance on me. It played peek-a-boo - one second it was gone, and the next just wafting very faintly from my wrist.

On principle I love this fragrance - I can't not like it since it is so similar to some of my favorite perfumes. However, it would be a waste for me to buy it for just that reason, since I already own the others. It isn't a dupe, per se, but is too similar to merit the cost until I have used the other perfumes. It also doesn't last as long on me as the others do.

Still, a beautiful perfume, great for floral lovers. Worth a try :)

Jellybean
Jellybean

White floral tuberose at initial spritz and as it starts to develop it becomes slightly more herbal and zestier. White floral notes and soft musk remain as the base of this scent. Elegant and brand new in a way! That type a fragrance:)
I see some resemblance to Narciso Rodriguez perfume, however I find this one to have more of that soft white floral accents of jasmine primarily with added heaviness of tuberose-in the right quantities. The more I sniff it the more I like it.
Suitably named!
Develops pleasantly on the skin. I could wear this day and night; 5 hours into it and I'm liking this stuff:)

orchid_84
orchid_84

I have to admit I was underwhelmed by Modern Muse. I smell jasmine, musk, and light woods. The florals are somewhat indistinct, and I don't detect anything that I would identify as tuberose, honeysuckle, or lily. I don't pick up on the orange, vanilla or patchouli either. In the top and mid notes I'd say I neither like nor dislike it, but the drydown moves it into dislike territory. While I can appreciate the fresh, light jasmine in the earlier stages, the drydown is that non-descript floral-musk-wood base that feels identical to what I've smelled in far too many other fragrances.

Personally, I didn't find this similar to Narciso Rodriguez For Her or SJP Lovely. It does remind me quite a lot of Calvin Klein Beauty, though I prefer Modern Muse because it smells higher-quality to me. I never had a problem with Beauty's simplicity, but there was something synthetic about it that gave it an overall cheap vibe. Modern Muse doesn't smell cheap or chemical, so I do have to give it credit for that. However, there are plenty of other simple, light, and beautiful floral fragrances out there that I enjoy a lot more than this one.

DianeL
DianeL

Was given a sample of this the other day, its OK, but I think its very much like Very Estee, not sure why they have done two perfumes one after the other with the same kind of smell! Its OK, but don't think I will be buying a proper bottle!

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This fragrance is still enjoying its marketing launch in a number of retail stores in Southern California. I was in a Macy's and tried this fragrance the other day. In fact, I've tried it a couple of times. It wears very softly on me, and seems to blend and harmonize with my individual chemistry where it is not overpowering.

I like the sophisticated blend of ingredients. It smells ageless and timeless, like a classic. It wears on the lighter side, where it would not be offensive if you were working in a tight office space, attending a theater performance, or were caught in an elevator with someone.

There is a woodsy aroma to this, kind of like a more subtle "woodsy" than Angel. The first spray smells a bit powdery and this has a similar ingredient in it that smells like a lighter version of the original White Linen Perfume by Estee Lauder.

---------

This is sophisticated, classic - and has definitely captured my attention a couple of times. I would need to isolate this one unto itself to really determine if this is my "signature" fragrance. So far, so good. I like the initial spray and I'm determining if it is really "my thing"!

This wears similar to Calvin Klein's Beauty - or Sarah Jessica Parker's So Pretty. It is classic, elegant, refined, has nice ingredients. It is a "safe" fragrance. Something that you could wear when you are not wanting to offend someone, but is not something that makes a huge statement.

Again, like I've said many times before in my other reviews... try it - your chemistry will determine how this wears and blends with your own unique chemistry. On me, it is unobtrusive and classic. It would definitely have its place in a fragrance wardrobe - and could be worn on days when you are needing to remain low-key and polished, but don't want to draw unneeded attention to yourself.

The more this wears, the more similar to the original White Linen this seems to smell. Rather than White Linen - this is almost like White Parchment Paper. Clean, crisp, a bit powdery, but nice.

I'll have to wear this further to explore it.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

If you are a frequent visitor of the perfume shops, then you would know about Sensuous and Sensuous Noir; but if not, you wouldn't know about them because there were no real ads for either of those two. They were launched quietly. This had fanfare, so I understand why it could be said that this is the first major worldwide release of a perfume from Estee Lauder since Beyond Paradise.

As for uniqueness, this rocks the honeysuckle. Doing a search by note on this site, only a couple of recent releases contain honeysuckle, but neither have the honeysuckle come to the forefront like this does. This is in the same vein as SJP's Lovely as a floral woody musk, but not a dead ringer for it. This is also not a sickly sweet, cotton candy on top of vanilla frosting kind of scent either. Because of this, it does stand out from the pack.

As for the ad campaign, in a world gone mad where mediocrity reigns supreme, you are (or "can be" to a young girl) an inspiration to others representing what is good in the world. That is the message this perfume with its uniqueness with honeysuckle is being sent. It does stand out. Like Nelson Mandela said, when you shine, you give others permission to do the same.

Now, for the perfume. Mandarin orange opens, but briefly. Honeysuckle takes the stage front and center while jasmine and tuberose are strong backup vocals. Woody notes along with amber, musk, and little vanilla are the finale. This is rich and kind of creamy once it settles into the skin. My skin likes this and I've received compliments on this. Sillage is good and so is longevity. Not overpowering so makes a good office scent. I would say this could be a year round scent suitable for daily wear. It's sophisticated and classy, yet versatile, and can be dressed up or dressed down depending on what you're wearing. Could also be a good signature scent.

Edit: Yesterday, I was wearing a sleeveless shell top and was in very cool air conditioning. I noticed that the perfume was gone even though I just put it on an hour before; but being a little busy, I didn't give it much thought. Later when I put a light weight jacket on and my skin started to heat up, I was able to smell my perfume again. This definitely needs to heat up on your skin in order to smell it. If you're in cold air conditioning making your body temperature lower or your skin cold, this may be why you might think this perfume has no longevity. Once fall kicks in and we're putting on the sweaters, jackets etc. and putting the heat on, this perfume should wear better for you.

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

Got a sample of this the other day. It is a well made perfume , no doubt about that , and yes it does give the impression of an elegant , well groomed lady..........But , its just a little boring. I knew it reminded me of something tried before , and once id checked in on here my mind was triggered ...YES - Its very close to SJP "lovley ".

Nothing "wrong" with this perfume , but its nothing we havent seen before.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

I get a light dark rose and a funky salty honey. A bit like Vie est Belle without the sweetness and praline.

DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor
DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor

On my ripe peach color Latin skin this is purely honeysuckle. I could barely detect any other notes for quite a while. I smelled like a full bloomed honeysuckle bush on a southern trail.
Finally the other florals, mainly jasmine and tuberose showed much later. It is very pretty and very feminine. Lasting power was over 3-5 hours with little to moderate sillage. It is not very complex or sultry, it is simply a nicely made floral perfume. I will try again and revise.
I felt it lacked any depth and really most of these new releases are not powerful enough in ingenuity (the ad campaign was appalling). It does smell very good though.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Nice but unoriginal perfume. EL used to make timeless classics like Youth Dew and Cinnabar just to name a few. When EL brought out a fragrance, you knew it was going to be something utterly irresistible and unique.
This is a cross between SJP 'Lovely' and NR for Her and even Victorias Secret Heavenly!
Come on house of EL, get your mojo back and make something outstanding like you did in the good old days!

LGG
LGG

A great come back imo, I found last year's Very Estee insipid and short lived when I tried it. I do get the animaliac reference, if it means a dirty, musky, sensual fragrance, animal like, then yes, it's a very sexy scent I think! Following in the tradition of a lot of major releases the last few years it's sweet, floral, distinctive and yet it's not too heavy or over powering. I do get the Narciso vibe now it's mentioned, maybe it's the muskiness. But I really like this in it's own right, I can see myself reaching for it often especially now the weather is getting colder.

I don't like the marketing spin that came out in advance about it being the first new perfume release by Estee Lauder for ten years, what was Sensuous then and all it's flankers and Very Estee if not new perfumes!? It makes you feel the marketing department think we consumers are idiots! They could have had a better approach to market.

Anyway all that aside I like it alot and that's what matters and I really like the bottle design too, although the box could have been a little better!

curlykitty8
curlykitty8

I'm STILL waiting for a NEW Estee Lauder classic beauty to be launched and I had high hopes for Modern Muse.
It's lovely and that's exactly what it dries down as...
Lovely by SJP!
I wish it had the depth of Narciso.
Maybe I'm just too old and my expectations are skewed after years of fabulous EL perfumes. Not all were my taste but originality, sillage and quality at a fair price were always her mark.

fletch
fletch

Attention,Great British public this smells exactly like Sarah Jessica Parker's lovely,and Superdrug have lovely on offer atm for £24.99 100ml size,shame on you Estee Lauder.

athabasca
athabasca

FIrst impression: I spritzed some of this on my arm in passing at Nordstrom and tucked a blotter sample away in my purse. As the afternoon passed I kept tabs on the development and thought: pretty, sweet, but nothing interesting.

Later that night, however, I opened my bag and thought--what IS that incredible smell? So now I have to revisit it...

asher.jessie

I don't understand how this is animalic at all :p There are no animalic notes, and it's a sweet, dainty floral.

It's a straight up spritz of jasmine and honeysuckle, and it's very sweet and delicate.

I love it! I tried it at Macy's today, and I definitely need to get a bottle soon.

lcommisso
lcommisso

All I smell is overly sweet honeysuckle. I sprayed this at Ulta and it even made my mother scrunch her face. Too sweet and too strong. This would be a million times better if it was softer. Estée Lauder isn't really known for subtle.

jewel.wido
jewel.wido

The opening is a very nice burst of refreshing citrus and lilies. The middle develops into strong yet delicate flowers with the musk developing. The musk reminds me of a hint of salty sweet sweat smell- It's not dominant, but it's there... it also does not bother me.
Overall this is a pleasant citrusy fragrance that is not headache inducing!

celebrity89
celebrity89

This one smells exactly like a men's cologne from the 90's in the drydown. If my memory serves me, it was Declaration by Cartier.

daisywest
daisywest

I got this sample from purchases the eye cream from the counter, I can detect lilies at the opening, after it dries down, the musk .. very relaxing and sexy at the same time. It make you feel very clean, just like in the morning out of the shower and done all your make up and dressed up and ready to face the world. Over all impressions about this perfume is sophisticated also not losing any of her sexiness and it is very comforting fragrance, I will wearing it daily.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I tried this tonight as was impressed that Lauder has managed to combine their old school perfumes with the newer, current trend for fresh, light scents. If you are an old 80s Lauder fan like me then I implore you to try this one. It's got a little bit of Knowing and a little bit of White Linen as well. It's also got that powdery thing going on that Lauder used to be famous for, except it's much lighter and, well, more modern.

I see what others mean when they say that this is like SJP Lovely. It is, but with more depth and quality.

The one thing that does disappoint me is the use of the very thin, generic looking model who can't act for toffee. Oh, how I wish Lauder could find another Karen Graham or Paulina Porizkova. Such amazingly beautiful and charismatic models!

EDIT - I purchased this one after my initial infatuation and have since returned the bottle. Why? Because the longevity is practically zero. I'm lucky to get a full hour out of this one. It's hard to believe this would be the case with a Lauder fragrance. How the mighty have fallen.

First,I LOVED the sample; but for some reason what I got is not the same, and I feel deceived. It's gone within a half hour, and there is no sillage at all. I'm wondering if it's defective. I bought the large bottle of EDP directly from EL, but it's going back. VERY disappointed!!!

Pamanar84
Pamanar84

I absolutely love this scent. On my skin, the honeysuckle stands out along with subtle woodsy hints. It is a very natural and feminine scent without being overly floral or sweet. It is exactly as advertised. The bottle is lovely and the name evokes a fun fantasy of being the envy of all the other girls. All in all, this will be a staple fragrance for me now.

blacklibran1
blacklibran1

This smell exactly like SJP Lovely and Narciso. Kind unisex if you ask me. Honestly. All in all I love it

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

I love this, surprisingly! I got to admit... over the years I tried almost all EL fragrances, old and new and have given up on them. I tried Modern Muse, just informatively. Wow!! What an impression! Subdued elegance and femininity! It is riding on the recent gentle florals, but with a firm hand of woods and patchouli in the background. Not agressive at all. Let me repeat myself: Subdued and feminine!!! In most modern and fabulous way! Great job! Will be getting a bottle...

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Was not aMUSEd with this fragrance. Pure Narciso ... starts off with muguet... ends with a loud screechy musk.

liwinabowtell
liwinabowtell

One of the most sophisticated scent i''ve tried. Clean and very feminine but not overly sweet. Love it!

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

A youthful muse, distracting and inspiring those around, or those who trail behind her from English 101 to Intro Psychology. A fruity floral musk, that does smell like NR for Her, but also like Clinique Happy (they share similar florals and mandarin). By all means if you like Clinique Happy, this is one to test, or if you know someone who likes Happy this might be a great alternative to the usual holiday fragrance gift.

Just tried a sample of this 2hrs ago!! Pretty,clean,sophisticated and charming to say the least. The dry down seems soft and delicate and not over powering.I think this would make a good scent for someone who is transitioning into a more mature fragrance. I'm not really concerned with the name, it doesn't bother me nor do I purchase scents for that purpose. As Pleasures has been my signature scent for years, I will be adding this one to the collection very soon:)

desertrat
desertrat

I like it very much. It's a dead ringer for NR for Her (Pink Bottle)but cleaner. I agree with some of the others, it's not the Holy Grail but definitely something lovely, sophisticated, but not overpowering. Lily, honeysuckle, and musk. Very nice.

chillalot
chillalot

I love the bottle and unlike some reviewers I even like the name...whats so wrong with inspiring others to greatness?..that doesn't preclude one's own accomplishment(s)...I would love to be enveloped in the warmth and freshness of Muse's soft floral cocoon...very feminine..skin like??...smells so good..Love it!
Edit*** this lasted 8 hrs

sasny
sasny

I really like this. It won't ever be one of my Holy Grail perfumes but I will definitely wear this one from time to time. I really only smell mostly the jasmine. I don't smell the honeysuckle much at all, and very faintly, underneath it all is a light muskiness anchoring the scent to the skin, and giving it a little bit of soapiness. I do agree with blueviolet that it is a mature, classy scent. It smells high quality. This is a serious "white flower" floral: creamy.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Pretty floral but so surprisingly soft for an EL fume. The opening did not grab me but after 10 minutes, I liked it. I can detect jasmine and something else (perhaps, honeysuckle). It is very pleasant, pretty and unobtrusive. Good as office scent. I love most of EL fumes and although not, or maybe because this is not, a sillage bomb, I will have to buy one down the road.

One spray on me
Sillage: 6 inches
Longevity: 6 hours

blueviolet
blueviolet

Oh damn, Im I getting "mature"? Cos I like this, it is really nice, classy, grown up and sits close to the skin. I can see this ending up on my dressing table.

dmaw
dmaw

A nice, light floral...unique; high-quality.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

If Modern Muse doesn't meet success, in 2 years they'll us that the next fragrance is 'the first major perfume launch since Beyond Paradise from 2003'.

;-)

And, by the way, Beyond Paradise wasn't a great success neither !

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

Had the pleasure to test this delightful concoction today at Lord & Taylor. I once lived in a house where there was a natural fence between us and the neighbor made by honeysuckle....our driveway was absolutely intoxicating in the evenings. Well Modern Muse has a VERY true to the flower scent that knocked my socks off....Now I adore my Estee Lauder perfumes but had almost dismissed this scent because it has tuberose and not one of my vintage classics. This is now right there on the top of my wish list after one spritz! The honeysuckle is braced up with a soft musk that never overpowers..... there are other flowers in the mix, but the Honeysuckle is the lead singer in this treasure! Sillage on me was moderate and longevity is still going strong after 4 hours. Perfect for any age....clean, classic beauty that will garner you many compliments for sure. Please do yourself a favor and spritz this on next time you are near the EL counter!!! Enjoy!

Dear smellME, (see review below mine)...Seems you do not know the history behind the word MUSE or it's meaning...As a 4th generation feminist I take no offense to being called a muse...Actually all women who inspire people, men and women, to be all they can be, find beauty in life, reach for the stars and never give up should be proud to be someone's muse. Too many these days try to find offense where there is no cause.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Initially, I smell lilac. Smells unbelievably similar to Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT in the dry down. Pretty.

asher.jessie

I finally got a chance to try this at Macy's, and I was very pleasantly surprised!

It's a fresh, musky floral that has a bright powdery sheen to it. First impressions remind me of Bath and Body Works' Wild Honeysuckle.

It wears well and wears long, maintaining the dominant floral profile, but the bright powdery musk is what last the longest, making up the base for a decent five or six hours of lasting power.

The citrusy sweetness reminds me a lot of Armani Code for women, but I don't think ONCE about Narcisco Rodriguez when I smell this.

In the end, I think this is a very high quality piece of art from EL, and I'm definitely going to take note of it and buy a bottle someday soon.

This is so pretty, a fresh floral, dewy, feminine, easy to wear. Not making a huge statement, other than smelling great! In my views very little in common with Narciso Rodriguez , which is heavy, very musky to my nose, Modern Muse is fresher, lighter, I don't see any similarity at all, none with Elie Saab either which is sharper, and more an orange blossom scent.
I detect a soft jasmine, the honeysuckle, and a hint of tuberose. All mixing in with the mandarin to create a real fresh floral impression, I don't detect woods, and the musk is quite subtle. So there isn't a strong solid base really.
As far as the animalic mention , it just isn't there!?
This isn't a powerhouse scent. This s a unique creation for Estée Lauder, unlike any perfume they put out, it is so easy to wear, still such high quality, I can see it really becoming a fast selling fragrance, it has that timeless quality too, not mature, not youngish either.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Modern Muse is a very pretty floral with lots of jasmine, tuberose and some honeysuckle with a musky base. I don't smell the lily as a separate note. The opening is the florals and the mandarin- very fresh and designed to hook you from the first spray. It dries down at first to an almost indolic jasmine and tuberose and then the amber and musk come out to play a bit more in the drydown. I had originally stated in my review that the longevity was not very goodl, maybe 4 hours. However, when worn in a hot, humid climate like a Florida summer, it lasts a good 7 hours on skin and with sillage about 4 of those hours.

I don't see this as a "too young" scent, just maybe a misguided attempt at being more "modern" by making a less strong, less overwhelming scent than EL usually does. Modern Muse seems to be directed at Estee Lauder's base market, middle aged women who want to feel and smell confident and pretty. I really love the quality of the jasmine; to my nose, it's better than Elie Saab which everyone raves about. Is it niche quality or longevity? No, definitely not. But I'm glad I blind ordered it. I plan to use it often and since it lasts longer in summer I will wear it more then and just re-spray a lot in colder months. It will be perfect for travel- no one wants to sit next to someone on a plane who is drowning in scent, no matter how good it may be.

prettyswag

This is an exact close copy to NR FOR HER the pink one:)..JUST a touch more fresher...nice but i dont want a repeat...come on!

squirrelhead
squirrelhead

This did not have signature scent as, all of the previous fragrances . The dry down was mainly a faint scent of floral . They have introduced a large amount of alcohol in the product which , dissipates the bottom notes at a fast rate.
It has a fresh floral scent at first, with the top and middle notes.

Thalia
Thalia

I agree, how are the Private Collection and Sensuous series not major launches?

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

Nothing that Narciso Rodriguez for her or SJP Lovely hasn't covered, but with a loud white floral hovering over the woody- amber base. Estee Lauder has a long and illustrious history; they should step up and drop the derivative nonsense.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Very soft musky floral, intimate, not offensive, reminded me of Idyle Gurlian Pleasant. Available in Macys.

davant123

After spraying it on a test strip a full week ago and leaving it in my car every time i get into my car i say to myself I can still smell it! What a really nice perfume!

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

Looking forward to this...but...."dewy petals" - are they kidding? EL does not sell to the teenage market and they should appreciate that anyone over the age of 14 is not moved or impressed by the vague idea of dew on flower petals - who wants to smell damp? They don't need this and should know better.

davant123

Saw this sitting by itself today at Dillards! I am sure it was a pre-production,,..any way it is really sublime! It is soft and understated but also has good sillage and longevity. Lightly floral with a little spice....hhhmmm, reminds me of a light and modern Spellbound....

MLK
MLK

I am looking forward to trying this in Australia, should be available mid September.
Update: I tried it, nothing really earth shattering, seems like just another safe Estée Lauder every day wear perfume.

jellybeantree
jellybeantree

I think the previous launches where just launches but this time they are really putting money into it for commercials and getting it out there internationally. In europe there was no promotion for sensuous and sensuous noir. If I didn't go in the shop and ask what was new, I would have never known.

miadsivi
miadsivi

first major perfume launch in the last decade since Beyond Paradise from 2003?!!!

Adventurous?
Private Collection?
Very Estee?
Sensous?

COSMICSCENTS
COSMICSCENTS

Sensous was a major lunch in 2008.

campfilo
campfilo

What about the PRIVATE COLLECTIONS? Cant wait to try anything new by EL.

Modern Muse by Estée Lauder 3.48 out of 5 based on 516 ratings and 170 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Modern Muse fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Modern Muse, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Modern Muse by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Modern Muse by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.