Designers » D E » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women

Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women
dislike

Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women Pictures Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women Pictures Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women Pictures Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women Pictures Pure White Linen Estée Lauder for women Pictures

Pure White Linen is a modern interpretation of a classical White Linen which was created in 2006. Aldehydes that are included in the composition give an impression of white cleanliness. In addition to aldehydes, a plentiful of exotic flowers was used for creation of this fragrance. The main notes are grapefruit, mandarin, raspberry, pear, green Granny Smith apple, white ginger, cardamom, red tulips, rose absolute, honeysuckle, gardenia, tuberose, jasmine, iris, osmanthus, cedar wood and heliotrope.

Pure White Linen was created by Sophie Labbe and Yves Cassar.

Raspberry Grapefruit Apple Pear Italian Mandarin Green Notes Freesia

briones

very soft , classy, clean , fresh and very femenine . love it

lindafoley58
lindafoley58

My first time trying this & love it. It's not too sweet, floral or woodsy. It is a happy medium. I swear I smell pepper. It's not strong or offensive (just my nose).I have the EDT & EDP. This fragrance does not seem to last long on me. Must be my chemistry. I do love this perfume!

Smunky
Smunky

I enjoy the original White Linen on others, but have always found it a bit harsh on me. Pure White Linen has a similar "clean" vibe to the original, but with its edges softened by the fruity notes. This scent plays perfectly on a hot, muggy day (such as the one we're having today) - not at all cloying, but fresh, clean and just sweet enough. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Carolann59
Carolann59

Pure White Linen Light Breeze is one of my signature summer scents - crisp, green, floral, refreshing - so I was hoping for somthing spectacular with this but...it's ever so nice...a very clean, fresh floral scent (thankfully NOT powdery) that almost anyone could wear IF you get along with jasmine. Trouble is, jasmine doesn't seem to mesh with me so I'll pass this on to my sister who will smell DIVINE in it!

Fizzy
Fizzy

Pure White Linen smells like fruity lily of the valley in truly Estee Lauder style. When I am wearing this fragrance, I am buying very feminine white and rosé clothing with lots of sparkling stones, glitter, pearls, gold and silver. Yes, sometimes I am thinking to be a Christmas tree with the glittery bulbs so popular here in Germany and Europe. What I am saying - this is a perfume for very luxury outfit with pinkish red lips, rosé make-up and diamonds over you. I love it, but it is also a little bit stressful, be every time stylish and sparkling dressed. It is more for day than for the night and smells more intensive in colder spring weather.
Edit: In extremely hot weather it smells on me like an insect spray, quite unpleasant!

Esthertje255
Esthertje255

My boyfriend bought me Pure White Linen. I think it's really fresh and I like the white floral in it without being old-fashioned or for older ladies.
It's a real spring and summer scent for sunny weather in my opininion. A bit too fresh/sour for fall/winter I guess.
I thought the longevity wasn't great because I didn't smell it anymore after 2 or 3 hours but when my boyfriend hugged me after 4 hours he immediately asked if I was wearing his gift so that was neat.
Sillage is fine, not too overpowering.

Annerl
Annerl

I was at first hesitant to try this out when my sister gave it to me as a gift—when I was a kid I hated the White Linen my mum had that she gave to me and I thought, 'uh-oh not again!' But I was terribly wrong. This one's different. It was light and clean, yet it lasts really really long, and at the end of the day it still lingers, and more importantly it does not induce my migraine at all! I find the initial spray quite strong, perhaps due to my psychological fear of scents inducing my migraine, but this one softens up immediately and it's really sweet, but in a gentle way. It reminds me of jumping into fresh clean sheets when they are freshly dried and taken from the clothesline on summer days.

novembertea
novembertea

This scent is very uninteresting on my skin. Basically, smells like Chanel No. 5 went through the laundry. This scent isn't unpleasant, it just doesn't have anything interesting going on for me. Aldehydes and laundry detergent. Really disappointed because I was expecting something really pretty and floral looking at the lovely bouquet it appears to be formulated with.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

this smells clean but expensive. I love the original. But sometimes I like this more. the grapefruit. I think that is what does it. Who doesn't want to smell clean and rich?

ginaerdahl
ginaerdahl

The style of this perfume is very light, fresh, but the perfume itself is pretty heavy. Definitely use a light hand when applying. When I sprayed it poured on my wrist more than spritzed, which may have swayed my review negatively. I love how fresh it is without being crisp or harsh, sooooooooooo clean. Smells like the ingredients are very high quality. Longevity and silliage are very high. Its all white flowers on me, which like I said before could be because of my application. The drydown was beautiful, soft, clean like just getting out of the shower, but not soapy at all. This is for someone who is looking for a safe, clean, high quality, elegant perfume. Someone who doesn't want to smell like food, and hates musk, me!! Unfortunately those white flowers are just a little too synonymous with older perfumes for me, I am not sure I will buy it. I am impressed by it though, so I think I will try to get more of a mist on my next application, give it another chance.

strawbeesplash
strawbeesplash

Straight out of the bottle, I really don't like Pure White Linen. It's way too crisp, and the ginger is overpowering. However, once it settles, dries down, and warms up on my skin, within two hours all the sharpness will be gone. All that is left is a lovely, lingering sophisticated, slightly powdery, slightly floral, and not at all fruity smell. This perfume really works with my body chemistry, and when sprayed on clean skin, either right after a shower or the morning after one, will last for days. Literally. I could smell this on my for up to four days (yes, I went that long without showering). I think rather than a completely "clean linen" scent, I smell a little more warm and classy. Altogether a lovely scent.

LoveForYMCMB
LoveForYMCMB

I swapped my light breese with pure white linen with my mom. This is much better.

SolangeN
SolangeN

This one is superlative in its class. Its tart citrus cuts through hot and humid without a trace of laundry shrill and lingers with no cloying or headache note. Tulip softens the grapefruit edge with a non-ozonic spring flower vibe. There is no cheap chemical drydown musk to ruin it. Very high quality for its price - compared to more expensive cologne options, it's an ideal summer fragrance.

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

Like other reviews said, this is a crisp, clean fragrance. I wore White Linen back in the day which is another clean, fresh scent in a vintage sort of way, meaning, it smells like linen sachets people put in their linen closet or drawer. This is more modern and not a dusty floral at all.

The opening is citrus and fruity which then morphs into a floral heart that really smells to me like lily of the valley even though the notes listed above contain no lily of the valley. Maybe the blend of notes in the heart (and it is very well blended making it difficult to distinguish individual notes I may add) give the olfactory illusion of lily of the valley. The base is slightly powdery with heliotrope and cedar which reminds me of the new Chloe in its base.

I think Latinos will especially love this because there is nothing more a Latino loves than a fresh, clean smelling person. Although there is no lotion made for this by Estee Lauder, I can tell you that this layers well with Nivea body lotion. I've tried it and it works. For those with scent eating skin, it helps to moisturize your skin so your fragrance will last longer.

Longevity is awesome and sillage is light to moderate. Perfect for the office and every day use. Definitely signature scent material.

NMWS76
NMWS76

I had to have it and it's not bad at all, I really like it in the bottle, I even sorta liked it on my skin but I tired of it quickly. I didn't want the original White Linen because my mother in-law (I mention her a lot in my review because our body chemistries like the same type of fragrances) had the original White Linen which I also love but I didn't want to be a copycat, again! I like all the things jeca associates it with so it's not the fragrance, it's my body chemistry which prefers "little-old-lady" fragrances that somehow don't turn cloying on me but fresh fragrances go flat or too sharp on me.

Estee Lauder is the queen of non-offensive white florals. Most of her modern collection makes Sensuous and Pleasures Delight seem downright vulgar.
This is clean jasmine, freesia, honeysuckle and pear. It varies only slightly from other inoffensive florals in the current collection such as Pleasures.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Wore this today for the first time. It's about 75F and sunny here after a late spring, so I was in the mood for light and floral. Pure White Linen is gorgeous! To be certain, I don't find much of a similarity to the original White Linen. To my nose, it smells very much like lily of the valley, jasmine, and tulip (what one thinks of, they don't really have much of a scent), with a faint whiff of juicy berry. Very fresh, very springy. It's a departure from my typical loves - L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Vraie Blond. But it was just what I needed today. It will be lovely in the coming months, along with my summer stand-bys White Linen, SSS Jour Ensoleille, and SSS Leiu de Reves.

gazelle
gazelle

I sprayed lavishly this morning and was surrounded by a garden full of flowers still covered with morning dew. This will be my preferred scent for the warm/hot days ahead. Such a contrast to the heavy Orientals I prefer. Some note or combination of notes surprise me with the four hour longevity so far, not the usual longevity with most of my perfumes. I LOVE PWL!

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

A more intense 'clean' scent. Has very familiar notes so it's not exactly distinct from just about any other scent, in fact it's kind of generic, but it's not a bad scent. Hangs on rather sharply and becomes more floral than clean in the dry down. Classic smelling but I'll pass

Following in the shadow of Estee Lauder's White Linen, its flanker, Pure White Linen has less powdery aldehydes, but a very similar, soapy and clean laundry feel.

Pure White Linen was created during the 'clean phase'. Everyone wanted to smell like they'd just stepped out of the shower, even if it was at the end of a very long work shift. These clean, refreshing scents also appealed to those that weren't originally fans of wearing perfume. Smelling like soap was of course the most inoffensive way to go.

In the official scent pyramid, Pure White Linen has an 'air accord'. I wasn't aware that air had a scent. Either way, I suppose it lends an 'airy' quality to the composition.

To my nose, Pure White Linen is a light, clean laundry scent, with a slightly oceanic feel. I smell mostly grapefruit, green apple, dewy jasmine and soapy freesia. It's a warm weather fragrance, mostly casual in its approach.

A year ago I fancied myself a fan of clean fragrances, however lately I've turned my attentions back toward heavy orientals. I appreciate Pure White Linen for its freshness, but at the same time I can't help thinking that it smells a tad chemical on the skin. There's that subtle hint of baking soda that I'm not so fond of.

Like most Estee Lauder fragrances, Pure White Linen has excellent longevity and rather strong projection. If you enjoy Pure White Linen, her consequent flankers, Light Breeze and Pink Coral would be well worth checking out. Beautiful Sheer too.

Milladane
Milladane

Pure White Linen is a strong, clean, soapy, pungent fragrance that is rather abrasive to the nose. A synthetic mish-mash of unidentifiable florals. No fruits except plenty of citrus, but citrus doesn't count as fruit notes in perfumery anyway.

The reason I tried this is because of the name. I did enjoy my small bottle of White Linen during the 1990s, so I thought maybe this would at least share some characteristics. Nope. Very different. White linen was an aldehyde bomb, so unique, cozy, dreamy, and romantic, from what I can remember. Pure White Linen is as dreamy and romantic as a dollar store laundry detergent labeled "Clean and Fresh."

It does share some similarities in the heart to Pleasures, however, so I don't know why they didn't just add this to the long line of Pleasures flankers. Then people would less likely have wrong expectations. As much as I dislike this one, I'll admit that I wore Pleasures for quite some time during the mid 1990s. There is something wonderful and attractive to me in the top notes there, maybe peony and freesia, and the sillage and longevity were great. I still have the bottle, but cannot do a real comparison as what's left has turned into the smell of acetone.

For people who like clean fresh scents, they are better off trying DKNY Delicious, which is another scent I dislike, but at least that one is better than this, and so many people rave about it. Or maybe the Acqua di Gio I reviewed yesterday, which is also better than this. Or, better yet, do try Pleasures, if you can deal with the big sillage. For people who loved the original White Linen, save yourself some trouble and don't look for a replacement here.

mamta173
mamta173

nice when u spray it ...doesnt overwhelm.
what i love about this perfume is that it is a delicate type fragrance yet lingers on for long.
very feminine...n classy perfume

Trinidella
Trinidella

Intense citrus scent.

EK
EK

What a surprise. I received Pure White Linen in a blind swap yesterday and decided to wear it today sine it's one of those very few hot days.

Just as I expected and just like directly from the bottle, it's a very clean, light scent. Great for warm weather if you - like me - prefer heavy hitters and dislike weak and watery perfumes.
By this I mean that it's clean, fresh, light, but still strong enough to make a statement

But lo and behold! 5 minutes pass. What's going on here? I get whiffs all the time of something hot and spicy. Very spicy and super hot! Yet not heavy (don't know how that is possible)
At the same time, when I sniff my arm, I get the clean, fresh smell of sheets dried outside in the sun and summer wind.

I don't understand this. What I do understand is that this is a very pleasant surprise. I'm very curious to see how the drydown develops... So far I'm extremely happy with it.

missymary
missymary

Two layers. one light citrus and very NOT Lauder, the other very typical Lauder floral and heavy,and as many reviews have said, a lot like Pleasures. In fact this could well be a Pleasures flanker, Pleasures Citrus. It just does not get its act together re. blending the two layers, and it goes nowhere aimlessly.
I wanted PWL to be the magnificent White Linen with a new twist, but it's totally different. I'm not a Pleasures fan (apart from the lovely discontinued Pleasures Delight) so it's not for me.

marboura
marboura

Very good...light and clean...but not characteristic though..

Muzoona
Muzoona

i have a bottle opened for 2 years and still giving the same power.

Princess
Princess

It does not smell clean or laundry like. A beautuful fruity and floral really feminene fragrance, in the beginning clean, but then it explodes in to this yummy fruity floral dream. Not boring!

Hippyhop2
Hippyhop2

Have a sample of this one. Opens sharp then turns into a clean smell. I sprayed one time on each wrist. After about an hour it's just a fresh, flowery, clean smell.
But I can't smell it that good anymore. I don't think that sillage is bad, I just get a little whiff of it. Maybe if I spray more, but then I guess like someone said before I will get a headache because something in it can be headache inducing, a bit stingy. So use this one with care. 2-3 sprays and that's it.

MsMisha
MsMisha

I love it. Fresh, airy, feminine.

lukkyme
lukkyme

i went 2 the mall 2day specificly 2 smell--esteelauder's ''jasmine&whitemoss private colletion'' because ive been told that it smell's alot like the new oscar DeLa renta's-'live&love'' perfume wich i absolutley adore but it just does not show up on my skin what so ever :( so every 1 says try the above privatecollection j&w.m anyway the perfume countersale's lady inform's me that they dont carry this one 'in the store . . . .this is at the ESTEE LAUDER counter Hhmmm? & so im looking & noticing there are many many not in the store ...i would also like 2 note the dior doesnt have any diorela INFACT all i seen there was jadori & addict & about 8 different addict flanker's . . .WHY? no wonder so many beautiful perfume's are being discontinued & reformulated wich usually =ruined :( who wants 2 spend 100 dollars ONLINE on something they have never smelled??????NO ONE..thats who ! then off course sale's on those particular fragrance's are going 2 plummit & then be deemed antiquated then discarded:( SORRY 4 the rant any how i ended up testing pure white linen on my wrist & thought hmmm pretty then hmmm REALLY pretty :) i smelled-clean brisk-feminine-spa- blue spring sky-white grecian goddess type dress-flowers & green apple that is the crisp note its the same note in D&G's Light Blue-anyway also pictured tan skin????& wealth & although this is re-done it made me also think of 70's fashion but not in a bad way? it's funny some of the thing's our mind's eye 'picture's' when we smell a perfume OR the memories that can come leaping forward in our mind from a smell:) i LOVE fragrance period for many reason's & that s just one of them i will have 2 try p.w.l another time or 2 but i think i will buy me a bottle for spring/summer 2012

claudystream
claudystream

The middle notes actually remind me a lot of Issey Miyake by L'Eau D'Issey. Very, very white floral.

romrom
romrom

Beautiful scent, very clean and fresh. love it

tangerine-tane
tangerine-tane

a very clean, fresh and floral smelling fragrance. The name definitely suits it! I like this perfume, but I would not say that it is one of my favourites. I will wear it, but not at all times. Otherwise, Pure White Linen is a great perfume that makes me feel clean and feminine. :)

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

Oy! This fragrance gives me a headache. I think I just cannot do the aldehyde florals. Most of EL's aldehydes are way too heady for me and also cause me to sneeze - a lot. The last time I wore this I didn't even spray the bottle - I tipped it and some came out of the sprayer. I had a tiny bit on my wrist, which I rubbed on my other wrist and then my neck. My gawd. I could smell myself coming for hours. It's too cloying, and heavy, and overpowering, and, and, and....

lucyesp13
lucyesp13

Smells like doing the laundry in a flower field. <3

Misenchanted
Misenchanted

To my nose, this is the same as Pleasures. In fact, I am sure the sample I have of PWL has been mislabelled!

deepa

I am wearing PWL after quiet a time, And GOD How I am loving each & every moment of it, This perfume smells heavenly.

celygould
celygould

I have a bottle of the perfume but prefer the lotion...it seems to carry the scent further; lasting more for about 3 hours (at best). Very light and clean fragrance. Mix of such accords - notes and fragrances is amazingly balanced for my chemistry. I like it on warmer days.

msleslie
msleslie

Isn't it wonderful that our modern laundry detergents and furniture polishes smell so good that lovely perfumes bring them to mind? All of these products are created by people with real genius, and I am grateful to the beauty they add to our lives.

I was unimpressed by Pure White Linen until the hot muggy weather started up and then it was the only thing on my perfume shelf that was appealing at all.

PWL is wonderful for staying fresh and presentable on a sticky, relentlessly hot day, so I now value it very much for that purpose. It certainly is much less strident than the original White Linen!

a really nice white perfume. clean and fresh and even a little soapy. love this for day and i love how long lasting this is. the combination of bright fruits and white florals mixed with the jasmine and hint of patchouli make for a winning combination. 7.5 out of 10.

eclecticgal1
eclecticgal1

This is the second sample from Estee Lauder that I have gotten of Pure White Linen and I am liking it - the first one had me on the fence about it.

It seems to have nothing to do with the original White Linen which is a fragrance that I had and I couldn't abide and used it to spray into my kitchen trash can. At least found a use for it.

This Pure White Linen is a gem of flowers especially the lovely whites like gardenia and tuberose (yummy) and has good lasting power.

I keep smelling my wrists and smiling....not many perfumes have that effect on me. :-)

p.s. It reminds me of Pleasures another of EL's fragrances that I like.

melinamelp
melinamelp

Too intense musk in there?? Headachy?? Too much for a linen ??? Yuck..

aray
aray

The honeysuckle seriously ruins PWL for me, but I am also helplessly in love with White Linen Breeze so everything else has a hard time even getting close to it. This is too sweet to be labeled "clean" in my opinion.

fgamz
fgamz

what a horrible name for a perfume dont you think?? i loled when i first saw the name for this, i would have though a nice well known brand like estee lauder would have though of a better perfume name that pure white linen, it sounds terribly cheap!!

anyways on to the perfume, the top notes were ok, it eventually gave me a headache def not my type of perfume, a co worker told me i smelt like a baby prostitute, you know what janice says in mean girls lol.. well i wont be wearing this anytime soon..

redrose
redrose

I really like this fragrance,its so fresh,airy and I feel like I am in the middle of meadow. Similar to original Pleasures though,my favourite:) for summer.

jasmasid
jasmasid

This is good for daytime on exceptionally hot days. It has a cooling effect. But, we don't get too many steaming hot days where I live! Also, for me it works best if I wear white.

Nice fresh scent - but its not "me". For the right person this one is a great everyday-scent.

Frisk och fräsch - som nytvättat som hängt ute o torkat i vinden. Denna doften fungerar inte riktigt med min hudtyp - därför ingen favorit. Härlig varje-dag-doft.

hollysarah
hollysarah

I'm a lover of clean fragrances. This one is definitely a clean scent but with a floral hint. It's quite powerful and longlasting but also very comforting, really like a fresh linen shirt. It's perfect for summer if you just want to feel fresh and comfortable. I had it on my shelf during the whole winter and never used it, now I found it again and I'm absolutely in love with it again. Lovely fresh, feminine perfume

RobbieX
RobbieX

Clean, floral fresh and light - lovely summer ladies scent!

mjb28
mjb28

This smells good! Opens really soft and easy. Nothing sharp or offensive to my nose. Fresh floral, sparkling, luminous, subtle and pure scent! Lovely tender floral drydown. Very feminine, elegant and very wearable. Really perfect for spring and summer. It gives you clean, fresh, peaceful and carefree feeling the whole day. This is a beautiful scent with great lasting power. I love it!

karyen_chen
karyen_chen

I got this as a valentine gift from my hunnie. However i dont really like the scent as it's quite heavy to my liking.. =(

This is so pretty, so clean, so polite, so soapy, so chaste and so pure that could be a perfect scent for Nuns. It is as much interesting as much it could be you favorite washing powder. It would need to be seriously decontexualized in order to be a little bit intriguing. Maybe if wore by a tattooed bourlesque-ish girl dressed in a black leather dress could be more appealing.

Passionflower
Passionflower

A very nice clean romantic fragrance. Fantastic staying power too. Makes me think of spring, having breakfast outside in the sunshine. It's innocent but noticeable and uncomplicated. I like it.

Update: A month or so ago I was staying somewhere and two great girls had the room next to mine. Every morning there was this lovely smell in the hallway, I thought it was one of the girls who had used this great smelling body lotion right after showering. But when I asked, it turned out to be Pure White Linen! I really loved the smell, it smelled clean, crisp and romantic. And so when I was in Spain last week, I saw it at a perfume shop and I bought it. I won't wear it every day, but whenever the sun is shining and I feel uncomplicated and happy, this will be my perfume!

Casi
Casi

I was gifted an adorable mini bottle of Pure White Linen. In vain, I tried several times over to wear her, but from start to finish, SHE WORE ME. I suspect that the culprits are tuberose, gardenia and cedar, as these three notes just sit on my skin in a most screechy, unpleasant way. I rarely get headaches, but nine times out of ten, tuberose and gardenia will induce a near-blinding pain right between my eyes. Reading the notes listed here, I feel cheated that I do not detect any fruits at all and only the faintest of aldehydes. Perhaps if my skin had picked up some of the fruity notes, it may have worked. Thus far, Juicy Couture's original EDP is the only fragrance with tuberose that wears beautifully on me. Maybe if I could have picked up on the aldehydes, it may have added some sparkle. Addtionally, while I adore the scent of real honeysuckle in the summer, I have yet to find this note enjoyable in a perfume. On my best friend, white florals make magic on her skin! She literally smells like a delicate, pretty, feminine little flower when she wears her signature, Pleasures. I can see Pure White Linen being a good one for her, as well.

Like most perfume lovers, it has been a trial and error process to discover what "gels" with my chemistry. It is safe to say that I need not bother with any more creations in the "white floral" category.

TillyWave
TillyWave

To start with I do not use any other scented products besides my perfume. Fragrance free laundry detergent, soap, lotion, etc.

This works perfectly for me because it really does remind me of scented laundry detergent and body wash. It will make you smell like the cleanest, crispest, most serious and professional gal out there. Great for work, for travel, for not wishing to offend with your perfume, because no one will guess that your fragrance is actually a fragrance.

For your starched button down shirt and khaki dress skirt days with sensible shoes. Or maybe a little dressed down from that, but you get the picture. I feel bad wearing my hair loose and curly when I have this on. I feel like everything about me needs to be flat ironed.

Truthfully I am a little disappointed in this fragrance. With a beautiful list of floral notes: tulip, honeysuckle, gardenia, tuberse, jasmine, et al, I wish this was more of a true flower garden, but it's not. I do like this but it wasn't what I was expecting at all--it's more like a synthetic garden of flower notes that live in your Spring Fresh laundry detergent.

SarahNichole
SarahNichole

This one doesn't work for me at all. I end up smelling strongly of laundry detergent, which isn't exactly what I'm going for.

perfume_junkie
perfume_junkie

When I was wearing this, everybody went CRAZY! They loved it, I got sooo many compliments, I had to take the bottle with me at work to show it to my colleagues..

crysna
crysna

the fragrance to wear anytime anywhere!!! a non offensive at all. its a soft, clean, fresh and wearable fragrance!!! thanks ESTEE LAUDER for this creation!!!

RosaFolly
RosaFolly

Sometimes you have to trust your body more than your brain. True of marathons, medications, foods and fragrances.

Pure White Linen, for me, is a perfect example of this. I'm someone who overheats quickly, gets flushed cheeks and needs at least five ice cubes to a drink before I consider it 'cool'. Basically, I have a highly reactive nervous system.
It's for that reason that I gravitate towards fragrances that inspire a feeling of calm, coolness, softness...

On paper (literally, I was foolish enough not to test it on my skin prior to purchase), Pure White Linen is my dream fragrance. The white florals that are both soft and persistant promise to sit on you as comfortably as a white cotton dress on a warm Summer's day. Unfortunately for me, it sat about as comfortably as a pleather bodysuit at the beach. Sticky, cloying, invasive and totally uncalled for.

Strange that my nose alone didn't pick up any of the warning signs. My skin however, flared up, shouted out, and turned a gentle aroma into a heap of used firecrackers that even caused my usually aromatically unaware boyfriend to offer me this helpful piece of advice "Hun, I don't think you're supposed to rub essential oil directly onto your skin. Maybe just put a few drops in the bath next time, okay?" Thanks honey.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm deeply allergic to certain synthetic florals such as amylcinnamic and hexylcinnamic aldehydes which are responsible for that jasmine fragrance.

I will say though, that my skin isn't overly sensitive or prone to allergy, psoriasis, etc. My body's intolerance for a perfume is an uncommmon occurance.

So if you have a tendency towards reacting poorly to highly synthetic compounds, or if your skin tends to warm up faster than other people's, or perhaps you complain of something smelling too soapy when others find it light and pleasant, this is probably not the fragrance for you.

Stay cool :)

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

I got this for my sister-in-law as a birthday gift two years ago- and she's been wearing it ever since. Her favorite florals are honeysuckle and gardenia,(two prominent notes in PWL),she adores clean scents and doesn't mind an updated touch of subtle fruit. The original White Linen didn't really suit her but this does-to a T. She likens it to a leisurely stroll in fruit-and-flower country fields while wearing freshly-laundered clothes.The drydown reminds her of her cedar chest, another good thing. All thatsheloves-and PWL loves her back to distraction. Awesome on her.

natalia777
natalia777

The aristocratical, refined, gentle aroma. I love it.

teedee
teedee

this is very different from the original white linen if my memory serves me right.

The opening was clean and fresh...a bit floral, a bit fruity...

then a small bud of gardenia started to unfurl and release its smell, then more gardenias... and more big white blooming gardenias!then i get a hint of tuberose peeking between the white gardenias.

so far, this is so different from smell of white linen perfume or freshly laundered white linens in real life.this is more like...a walk in white flower garden in spring...

gradenias were still prominent in the drydown. as nonsense as it might sounds: i feel this fragrance is like sniffing fresly laundered linens in garden dominated by gargenias.

Floral aldehyde? I beg to differ! Estee Lauder PURE WHITE LINEN is so far from the truly transcendent WHITE LINEN that I'm having a difficult time understanding why this would ever have been named as a flanker.

A safe, inoffensive fruity floral with an even safer, clean detergent drydown, PURE WHITE LINEN edp actually reminds me a bit of the smell wafting out of the vents from the laundromat across the street. Don't get me wrong, I do like that scent, and to be honest, I sometimes stand there breathing it in for a minute or so, but as a perfume?

This is an entirely wearable fragrance for those looking for inoffensive open-office fruity florals which leave the impression behind that the wearer has recently bathed. But it is entirely misnamed, IMNSHO, for nothing could be purer than WHITE LINEN itself.

LuluCoconut
LuluCoconut

In my teens I had this cheap, but nice and soft EDT called Pretty You by an unknown brand. Now I know that it was an imitation of this one. No need to say that Pure White Linen is way better and complex, it's clean and pretty, although in almost all EL fragrances I detect something artificial, undescribable that puts me off of liking them completely. When it comes to clean fragrances I think of another similar one- clinique's happy heart.

guest_Rina
guest_Rina

I found it very similar to Pleasures. Too overpowering for my nose

egyptian_beauty99
egyptian_beauty99

Great for The laundry and as air freshner..But not perfuem..Wouldn't be found dead wearing this.yuck!

LadyNatalie
LadyNatalie

Out of the shower smell, this an expensive parfum, this screams gardenia, a very floraly clean scent, i like it, i received it as a gift.
Im loving this, such a pleasent smell, i put this out of the shower while im putting my clothes on, delicate flowers and air, i breathe this fragrance, i could swimm in pure white linen!!

The_Entity
The_Entity

clean fresh daytime scent, i prefer the original though

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Much, much better than white linen which I found quite horrible. This is a lovely spring/summer scent which is very linear and fresh. It's a dry lily-of-the-valley and jasmine scent to my nose and I like it but still find it a little sour for my taste. Many of the Lauder fragrances seem to advertise a kind of faceless, scrubbed beauty which I think appeals more to American puritans than to us dirty old Europeans!!

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

It would be difficult for me to name my signature scent because I wear different perfume depending on the weather, an occasion, my mood, and even color of my clothes. But this comes as close to a signature scent as I could ever get. I wouldn't want to be without this perfume, since I'd wear it in warm or cool (where I live there's no extremely hot or cold), day and night. In the times I want to not offend, I apply it lightly, in the times I want to stand out, I apply a little more. This fragrance is my friend with great silage and lasting power. Actually, when I said that I'd wear it day and night, I meant that very often I put it on in the morning and it will stay until the evening, and very rarely do I want to wash it off for a more distinctly evening wear because I love the drydown.

As a matter of fact, I adore all stages of this perfume, from the top notes to the drydown. I noticed that I am more likely to get a distinct smell of top fruity notes in colder weather, and they stay longer too.

The floral heart makes me feel like a fairy who lives in a garden where it is forever May (maybe April in a more continental climate!). I open a secret door, close my eyes, breathe in, and all of a sudden I am in a place where all flowers bloom at once. I cannot detect individual flower notes -- it's an air where all flowers are blooming at once, fresh, fragrant and dewy.

The drydown tames down the heart, but remains floral and even more fresh and airy. If this is what heliotrope smells like, I am a fan!

At this point I start to experience this perfume as pure white color, as a soft and glossy white satin gown wrapping my shoulders and making a quiet shsh with every move I make. This smell is mild but distinct, and it lasts. And it lasts. And it lasts.

This is the smell for a girl who one day got married in a satin dress and a bouquet of white roses and treasures this day as the happiest in her life.

And here's an almost inevitable bit: a comparison with original White Linen. I already mentioned that Pure White Linen is truly white to me, and so is the original White Linen. But the white color has so many shades, and these perfumes are very different color white as well as texture. The original White Linen is white with a tint of greenish and yellow, much like linen cloth is, and more choppy in texture, like a linen cloth. And this linen cloth is seriously starched! Pure White Linen is a smooth satin, and the white color has a light hint of blueish in it -- like driven snow in the bright sunlight, like my wedding dress, like the walls in my house on the coast, like the inside of the Pure White Linen box. And by the time you trace the white embossed line on the box, you'll be enchanted into pure white understated elegance!

coffeeandgrace
coffeeandgrace

I just bought this. It definitely is related to the original White Linen, but is a bit softer. I really like it, and I especially love the lasting power. I agree with what others have said-that it has some similar notes as Lauren from Ralph Lauren, but it is not quite as strong and in your face. Lovely. And dh likes it too, which is a plus.

guest_Soignée
guest_Soignée

White, pure, clean, airy, fresh, clean!!!
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Absolutely gorgeous scent!!!! Perfect harmony of flowers-my husband loves it too! A white flower perfume and very sweet but oh so pretty!

sugarplumjabba
sugarplumjabba

About a year ago, the hubs and I set out to find me a new signature scent since the one I'd worn for a few years just didn't fit the bill after 2 babies and my altered sense of smell would not allow me to where that one anymore. So we happened upon this, and we bought the gift set. The next day, I tried out the whole kitten caboodle, layered the shower gel, the lotion and the parfum, and about an hour later, there was NO SCENT ! Now don't get me wrong, I don't like my scents to be OUT THERE in your face kinda scents, as long as they are fresh and somewhat noticable, I'm good. This was just wayyyyyyyy too powdery and soft for my liking. I ended up returning it and exchanging for another perfume, which in turn was also returned for one I finally settled on for oh, about a month. What can I say, I'm a fragrance junkie !!

mandi
mandi

I loved the original white linen so I decided to give this a shot - hoping that it would be a modern/younger version of that lovely fragrance.

The fragrance is quite airy and fresh, but there is an underlying scent that is not quite pleasant.It has a decidedly synthetic note to it that smells distinctly like fabric softener.

While I can understand the desire to smell 'fresh' and 'clean' I think some frangrances go too far; the result is that sensuality, romance and sometimes feminity are often sacrificed.

amelie
amelie

Original White Linen is a strong perfume and I love it, but they are so different to me, although their names are very similar. Pure White Linen is fresh and fruity, the original White Linen somehow sensual.
Pure White Linen remains thin and light, even breezy, but lasts for hours. These two fragrances are perfect for summer and spring, incredibly charming with notes that are typically Lauder, actually I don't know which is more desirable.
For me this is a fragrance that gives freshness feeling, and yet have the ability to keep you delightfully scented all day. An excellent choice for business and fits well with the casual style. Seems that those who like floral scents also love Pure White Linen.

As Joy
As Joy

I really like PWL. The biggest reason is that once I smell it, I am instantly taken back to my childhood years and the Sunday afternoons spent at my grandmother's. She lived on a farm in a big, old house and in the kitchen, she had a board box full of jumble she had put aside for me and my sister to play with. Among that jumble she had old, empty perfume bottles. I used to smell the bottles, as they still had a faint scent in them, and to this day I remember how they smelled. Exactly like Pure White Linen.

Not all the empty bottles smelled the same, of course, but somehow they all blend into one beautiful floral scent in my mind. I am usually not that into pure floral scents. I like perfumes that have a thing to them, something original. PWL is not original per se, but it reminds me of something original, that is, my memories of how my grandmother smelled. Despite this, I don't think PWL is an old-lady smell, not at all. Besides, I find that many old ladies wear classy and very good perfumes that are in no way old-fashioned or stuffy.

For me, that is reason enough to think about buying PWL. Maybe not for everyday wear, but for days when I'm in a light, neutrally happy state of mind.

Btw, a really beautiful package, both the box and the bottle. Simple and elegant. I usually don't keep the boxes unless they are exceptionally pretty like in Prada EDP, but this box I could keep.

joliefille
joliefille

very nice, fresh, citrusy-floral. summer perfume. today, i mixed it with mitsouko and the result was amazing!

Trvevil
Trvevil

Pure White linen is such clean and feminine, yet it seems common and safe too. I could imagine everyone wearing this at every time, occasions. There is also something like in Pleasures I tried, but can't figure out what. At very first moment it delighted with a fruity blast - an average composition and then flowers and I did smell tulip and rose in this. That was my favorite part- it was very natural and I imagined country as well.
Now after hours I smell cedar and faded floral notes.
Choose this if you want safe perfume for work or going to vacation. It's lasting power is great and sillage as well.

I loved the fresh, clean smell of this when I picked up the tester, but I really didn't like it when I tried it on my skin. It smelled a bit sour and there was just this note I couldn't stand (patchouli?) It definitely didn't seem fresh on me!

veronique
veronique

I made the mistake of buying this scent. Too strong and sour for my chemistry.

Malegria
Malegria

I tried Pure white linen in the mall, and immediately liked it`s musky crispiness.The honeysuckle, the grapefruit, the heart of the tulip - mmm, so fresh without being overbearingly fresh - just what the doctor prescribed! I thought it would be a perfect scent for this coming spring, so I ordered a bottle.Well - I think that may be I overreacted. It is very strong in the beginning, very sharp and flowery, and it made my nose tingle.When the first notes softened, it revealed a neutral,flowery heart that had the only one unique note - tulip, hidden among transparent jasmine cloud.Otherwise, it showed itself pretty ordinary and I am a bit disappointed.It feels like it lacks something - more cedar in the base? more honeysuckle? less jasmine?
It would be a nice scent for work, though. I guess I`ll have to put it aside till I get a job!

marie08
marie08

I wanted to like this but it's too much of a white floral for me. Kind of soapy. It'd be nice for someone who likes clean scents.

alicektn
alicektn

Today I smelled Pure White linen, and travelled many miles, back home...

Oh, my lovely Greek island...

The sun, the sea, the honeysuckle in the yard.. The morning dew on the flowers and the fresh smell of grass and earth... They all sinked in my skin and became one of the most intimate smells in the world..

kay_li13
kay_li13

i didn't smell any of the fruityness that was supposed to be in the top layer. it kindof smells like laundry detergent? or mountain air. in any case, it does do it's job of creating the "clean" feeling or "fresh" feeling.

Migotka
Migotka

Some time ago when visiting a perfume shop I took a couple of perfume samples home- I never buy anything straight away, I first need to see how the fragrances evolve. Normally I write names on sample papers, not to get confused. However, that day there was one I haven't written anything upon, and this was the fragrance I found absolutely beautiful. I had to go back to the store and try to find out which perfume it was...
Pure White Linen is a delicate, sweet, floral fragrance. Very feminine. It made me think of green fields and blooming flowers, shining sun and romantic walks in the forest.
I am almost sure I will get in in March or April, as it seems perfect for that season of the year, it is a bit too subtle for autumn and upcoming winter.

guest_Marie J
guest_Marie J

i sampled this one and liked it alot. I wouldn't mine owning this!

guest_ljubica
guest_ljubica

It's a perfume I'm always going to have around. It smells crispy clean, like freshly loundered underwear, and it's super refreshing in summer, without being too citrusy or ever getting sweet on my sweetness prone skin.
I really appreciate the apple note in summer fragrances.

guest_Kali
guest_Kali

The honeysuckle and iris really come through on my skin.
I don't really care for this one. To me it is average.

jeca
jeca

I like this perfume very much, it is so romantic, green with tiny flowers, for a woman who loves nature, long walks in the fields... Countryside romance ;o)

guest_Annie
guest_Annie

I like where this fragrance wants to go, but it doesn't really get there for me due to a sour note.
It also seems dated and not in the classic sense. It smells like a good bottle of perfume gone bad.

zoka
zoka

Very clean and white, airy, with small wild flowers... super for vacations

2007

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder 3.54 out of 5 based on 683 ratings and 94 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Pure White Linen fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Pure White Linen, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.