Designers » D E » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

White Linen Estée Lauder for women
dislike

I have it: 583 I had it: 693 I want it: 169 My signature: 15

aldehydic

White Linen was created by Sophia Grojsman in 1978. It’s an intense fragrance built on the harmony of aldehydes, flowers, wood, amber and musk. The purity of white linen that dries in the sun, a cool elegance of white flowers and green notes. White Linen is classified as floral-aldehyde. Top notes include Bulgarina rose, jasmine…middle note is composed of orris, violet… the base is made of vetiver and oakmoss.

Lemon Peach Aldehydes

Carnation iris Jasmine Hyacinth Ylang-Ylang Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Violet Lilac Orchid Orris

Vetiver Sandalwood Cedar Amber Benzoin Tonka Bean Honey Oakmoss

White Linen Fragrance Reviews

Gehenna
Gehenna

My mother always wore this. A wonderful, eternal classic, rather strict and elegant. White flowers, aldehyde, blue flowers, and then the woodsy base - I find it a true masterpiece. However, it might feel a bit dated and uninspired compared to more daring and warm fragrances.

miahreis
miahreis

I really wanted to like this perfume! I love Wind Song and L'Air De Temps and I thought this would be not the same but similar. Upon spraying it on paper at Macy's it smelled very crisp and clean. Upon spraying on my skin, however, it did a whole 180 turn on me in a disappointing way. I definitely smell the freshness of closthes being hung on the line in the sunshine. But on me, right beside the clothes line, there is burning pile with cedar which reminds me of fall but wouldn't want to wear it on my skin...oh well...

rhynel
rhynel

My mother used to wear White Linen, it used to come out of her pores, even when she was freshly showered.

This never smelled liked "linen" to me (linen = Clean's cotton interpretations for me), but it did always smell clean and crisp. By today's standards, it does have a retro feel.

It's a strong perfume, so one or two sprays is all you need. It can be a sillage monster if used recklessly. I can not personally comment on the dry down, because I never wore it (who wants to smell like their mother? lol) but I can say that if you wear it enough, it will get into everything for a very long time. The dry down on my mother was a soft vetiver, with mostly peach and amber notes.

Osusanna
Osusanna

I wore this in the 90's and I have a small bottle now. The last time I wore it was awhile ago but I do remember it well. This one shrieks around like the Tasmanian Devil for a good 2-3 hours before finally settling down into a smoother, more gentle fragrance with reasonable sillage. While it's not super high-pitched like Paul Sebastian Design, it's still got a tone to it that is not going work well with everyone's chemistry. I really like this, I can't wear it to work even in small doses and that makes me a bit sad. This does not smell like anything else out there. It's big, it's aldehydes to the max and it's a big floral. It's also beautifully composed and unique.

Daisy^Slava
Daisy^Slava

Imagine a lady in 1970s: her look, accessories, clothes, jewels, behaviour. What do you think she would smell to? Exactly.

"White linen" by EL smells retro to me, nothing clean and white on me. It has a strong begining of aldehydes and hyacinth, cooled down with a citrus powder. The smell is pretty far away of my view for white linen. It doesn't smell to a washing detergent as I hoped. I was close to buy it blindly thinking it was fresh, feminine and clean fragrance. Nothing like that alas.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I've always had an odd reaction to White Linen, and I can't account for it. When this first came along, with its companions Pavilion and Celadon, White Linen was the one I remember thinking I would like best and some day purchase. However, subsequent reactions ended up with my leaving the store without it.

Fast forward 30 years or so, I smelled it in a specialty shop, and thought, "how nice, I really should buy this". At the time, I probably bought four other bottles and should clamp down the brakes somewhere!, so I didn't get it. A couple weeks later I returned to the store, sniffed again, and decided I didn't like it after all. This experience has been repeated on occasion since then, and I guess it's a scent which must smell highly variable to my nose. The only other fragrance I've had this experience with is Miglin's Pheromone. I'm off and on with it, so just end up forgetting about it.

Brock
Brock

Soft yet startling. For me, this is the best, period. So bright, but not trashy "clean and fresh" like so many shit fragrances of today. Love it.

Domenica23
Domenica23

very fresh! very linnen like, very summer like scent, it is so special. Bought twice in the past, long ago. And want to have it again. It just brights up the scenses, it stays a long time, one does not need much and it makes me think of light, sun, water, wind and love.

jake.shouse

Lovely smell but it is strong when I first spray it but after 15 mins even after spraying 7 sprays you can smell it faintly. Their is a perfume that reminds me of this a lot called Privilege it is also on this site if anyone finds this too light after spraying 7 sprays and it never holding look it up I prefer Privilege it last for 24 hours on my skin which is ground breaking. For anyone who likes light perfumes this is for you plus it smells so soapy and clean but it does have a metallic note I dislike a lot!

K1
K1

Old school golf suit and Irish tweeds for casual daily style, so what we need to match the dressing is White Linen!
Soapy classy aldehydy floral woody masterpiece that makes me insane! The very opening is so interesting; it's soft and spicy not boozy and arrogant. It's modest yet quite powerful. The middle phase is burning soapy, prettily soapy and reminiscent of that classic style hey-days!

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Before trying this perfume, I asked myself again and again why is this perfume's called White Linen... Not an appealing name for a perfume! But, once I tried it I immediately knew... It smells eerily similar to the smell of linen or clothing fresh out of the washing machine. That smell of the cleaning detergent mixed with the hot water of the washing machine.

That's aside, I don't get any connections with this classic. It doesn't take me places, it doesn't enchant me it doesn't blow me away. It's a nice clean scent but with no character. I don't know why but this classic did not grow on me.

krmarich
krmarich

I have a bottle of parfum spray that appears to from the 1978 release. Estee Lauder had the fingers on the pulse of the market in the day. I remember the extravagant TV promotion for this and the excitement to discover the ultimate seaside perfume. Its a dragonfly in amber today and todays audience just wouldn't get it.

Sophia Grojsman made her debut with WL and indeed her first is perhaps her best. There is little fruit and the flowers are very adult in this treasure.

This was before the age of the powerhouse and the wearer could enjoy this in good company or alone with a good book. The dominant rose note is dry and sweet. Its pretty white, innocent and never sad, like so many others. Its not deliberate like Parure or Nahema. Its not metallic like Calandre or Rive Gauche which can scare off some. Don't get me wrong, the above mentioned titles are my favorite rose in the vast perfume garden. White Linen gracefully take its place among the stars. This is that warm sweet summer rose that is approachable and obvious.

WL opens somewhat blatant and caustic and then become that perfect beach read that you cannot put down. The supporting notes only call you further to that seaside retreat in this bottle.

I poo poo all of you detractors who say "old lady". At least this Grande Dame smells clean and refined. In a generation, when your fragrances get old, they will smell like rotting fruit and stale musky vanilla cake that requires liposuction.

lukafrod
lukafrod

my opinion, this fragrance is designed for old ladies.
first impression is it little bit reminds "climat" of lancome, but after few second its going to be different.
a sandalwood is very dominanat smell in this composition. it makes the fragrance to be acute and "not tasty"
personally, i dont like it.

evilmiu
evilmiu

Very special, I don't agree with it's an old lady smell, it's fresh and soapy, feel so good when wear it.

bronwen80
bronwen80

Dear Reborn,
The difference between an EDT and an EDP is the concentration. An EDT is a less concentrated version of the scent where as an EDP is the second most concentrated form of a perfume that you can generally buy. An EDP will therefore generally last longer on the skin than an EDT. That being said I have had EDT that last considerably longer that EDP on my skin, it all depends on the acidity level of your skin and how the particular perfume reacts to you.
Hope this helps you out :)

sheri.patterson
sheri.patterson

This was my mom's signature scent along w/Estee. Both smell really good & clean to me, but I've never worn them. A little too strong.

BabyChic
BabyChic

This was bought for me as a gift way back in the 1990's and I was secretly dreading trying it as my Mum used to wear Youth Dew which I detested and thought this was going to be a similar scent .. how wrong was I, I fell in love instantly and is the only one of the EL fragrances that I will wear! This is as floral, powdery scent in my opinion but it also smells so fresh and clean! I don't know but in those days it made me feel sophisticated and very grown up and important and as I began to earn more money this became my signature scent for work .. I loved wearing it into the office each day, and always received many compliments.. :) A perfect start to my work day was my morning shower with the accompanying bath and shower, lashings of the wonderful body lotion and finally spritz of the perfume, and I always carried it in my bag to work if I wanted to vamp up the scent during a long, hard day! The freshness of the scent always lifted me when that afternoon flagging of energy hit me! I've long since moved on from the 9-5 office hours but White Linen remains a firm favourite in my collection to this day and brings back fond memories of those days every time I use it!

jake.shouse

Beautiful strong clean scent I just love it. White Linen, beautiful, and Knowing will always be my favorites... Enjoy Beautiful Sheer also in the summer.
By the way Beautiful is my full time Signature scent I love Estee Lauder the best brand EVER... This is fresh and wonderful... And very long lasting and strong..

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

Fabulous floral, and bossy on the right person, I picture a rich snobby botoxed suit wearing retiree with tons of disposable income wearing it, on some it can smell like alcohol and bugspray.
Results will vary.

Blue wolf
Blue wolf

I worked for Chanel at Macy's and later for Estee Lauder in another department store, and so I was given a good basic description of the nature of fragrance.
Much was made of the '...clean, fresh modern aldehydic scent.' of White Linen when I worked for Lauder. Bleh! 30 years later I still cannot stand the smell of White Linen. I react to it the same as when I smell cat repellent, the primary ingredient of which is supposedly coyote urine.
I hope that is not sniggering I hear out there, something about old ladies? I understand that one loves what another might loathe, but I wish I could experience what some do with White Linen. I smell no hint of white florals which I adore, just the overpowering aldehyde tsunami. To this day, I avoid aldehydic fragrances. And I never liked Chanel 5 either (another aldehyde juggernaut) but I was always most polite to any customer who raved about White Linen, or any other fragrance I disliked.
Yesterday I was in Perfumania looking to try something
new, and the perfumista came at me with a bottle of White Linen. I instinctively recoiled, I just couldn't help myself. Something is triggered deep in my reptilian mid brain at even the thought of White Linen, it makes me wonder if it mimics the smell of a long ago encounter with a smilodon or a giant cave bear. To each his own.

motherof3
motherof3

Ok I'm a sucker for heady, floral in your face perfumes and this is one of them!!! I'm 32 and I love the head turner scents I can't do or respect the bland fruity florals.White Linen two sprays one on my neck one in my hair I layer it with Blackberry Lilac lotion and I smell incredible for 24 hours lol .I truly adore white florals but to make my classic perfume more modern I simply layer with a unique fruity lotion. While White Linen is considered old lady I don't agree I get sexy ,,classy BAM in your face flowers .Nice indeed

the_new_esta
the_new_esta

This is a nice classy scent. Would never use the words yummy or delicious to describe it. Not even sexy; but a spray or two of this classic and you're a respectable adult.

KJS88
KJS88

Soaped. Starched. Scrubbed. Primped. Plucked. Shaven. Beyond reckoning. This is totally devoid of gender, yet is not androgynous. Think of the purest white soap, the tightest bun, the closest shave, the starchiest of starched white shirts.

A church scent. For someone who does church more than once a week and practices abstinence and won't even entertain the idea of alcohol, cigarettes, or soft drinks.

That said, I don't dislike this fragrance. A former girlfriend wore it, mature beyond her years, and I was known to steal a few spritzes when nothing I had would do.

Daao
Daao

Just got it as a present for christmas from someone who thought it was the same as the "Pure White Linen" I had wanted for long.
I didn't know that one, the original one, though I knew it is considered a classic.
So I sprayed myself this morning. Well, it is STRONG. spray lightly ! At first it stings the nose a little, but it soon blends into a more pleasant, aldehydic scent.
I think I like it, but i'll need time to get accustomed to it. It smells so... Ladylike. And American (can something smell "american" ? Or is it just because I know it is american ?) It is so totally not me. I am puzzled by it. I feel like a different person. A strong, independant, organized lady with lots of responsibilities she handles with a smile.
It would be the perfect scent for when I need confidence, such as important work meetings and such.

getaylor57
getaylor57

This is absolutely an aphrodisiac for me. My late wife was given this as a going away gift from her staff before we met. We me while I was on a date with my former girlfriend and her former friend. My former girlfriend wore it when we dated and it made me swoon but she had changed when we met for this occasion. My future wife came in wearing it and I was unable to resist. Sadly after 18 yrs of blissful marriage I lost her. I'm still vunerable to this frangrance.

Princess Adora
Princess Adora

Not my cup of tea too soapy for my tastes I prefer sweeter perfumes but my aunt loves this perfume and doesn't like the sweet ones I like.

alicektn
alicektn

Lovely, powdery, hazy creation. Try this one if you want to smell powdery in the cleanest way possible. It is a great "out of the shower"smell. Very retro indeed, but who said that retro stuff cannot be youthful? Wantie!

jake.shouse

I love White Linen so much.... This is by far one of my favorites by estee lauder.... I love this Beautiful, Beautiful Sheer, Cinnabar, Knowing,... My favs!

Stephaniejanef
Stephaniejanef

Isn't it funny how our tastes change as we age? My Grandmother and Mom were huge Estee Lauder fans. White linen was present throughout my childhood. I used to pretend I was a grown up and I'd spritz it on, and play with their make up. The lipsticks I loved. The perfume, I absoloutely hated.
I hated this perfume all through my teen and young adult years. I would sometimes stumble upon it, try it again and go "yep, I still hate you! You smell so old!"
And now I have been starting a perfume collection, niche this and fancy, hard to find that and I avoided anything too commercial. However, I am starting to play that game again.
I go back to the Estee counter with nostalgia and I spritz WL on and all of a sudden... It is so clean, so pretty, so fitting.. So me. I have grown up!

amelie

Lol, that was mine, but somehow turned to be guest's.
Inspires me every time over again. Yes,incredible aldehyde with a strong character, and again as someone has already said the dry-down has a smoky note, subtle, almost imperceptible. Just be patient enough,that's why I love Lauder so much!

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

whoa. the aldehydes on me go very sharp. i can smell the floral bouquet underneath but it is so getting drowned out. when i was like 15 this was my favorite fragrance. its crisp, but almost too crisp. it makes me think of a lady in white linen. she is obviously standing in a garden. she is a walker not a sitter. on the go like a breeze. shes older in age maybe 40+ and she is a free spirit. for me its a little too mature. its also a little more relaxed fragrance. like for a quiet woman. hours later its nice, but the opening is so harsh its unwearable on me.

rowanwood
rowanwood

This is my mom's signature scent. I love my mom, but I hate this perfume. She used to put White Linen scented papers in her drawers. I think she did that so I wouldn't borrow her clothes when I was young. Ha!

bren400
bren400

Kelleysmall, I just tested the Narciso Rodriguez Essence last week and White Linen popped up in my head, yes, someone DID copy this. Now to get to my review of this frag. I couldn't STAND the smell of this when I first tried it about 15 years ago. I was given a big bottle of this but I don't remember who gifted it to me. I couldn't BARE the smell then and I still can't get past the stench.This is definitely not for young girls. I apologize to those that like White Linen but, I won't even give this to anyone's grandma as a present cuz it surely offends and pollutes the air that we breathe!

liwinabowtell
liwinabowtell

Bought this yesterday at Myers because it reminds me of the childhood woman I idolized. The tester I used was just magical, even tried it twice, on the paper. Lesson learned, try it on yourself before deciding to buy it. It is just not for me. Hated smelling it on me all night. Yes, it's longwearing too bad it just smell too assaulting.
I must admit my mum wears this scent best.

kelleysmall
kelleysmall

I'm in love with this scent; it's one of my favourites. To my knowledge no one has tried to copy it, either, Very distinctive! A masterpiece. I sprayed a tiny bit on last night and can still smell it today ... lasts for hours. Quality!

rockegg
rockegg

There are a few fragrances that drown everything in aldehydes, this being one of them, and they smell rank on me. When I wear White Linen it's as though I smeared rotting seaweed on my arm and then doused it with disinfectant. I have the same trouble with L'air du Temp and White Shoulders. What smells great on one person can be a nightmare on another.

basicallystacey
basicallystacey

This is my mom's signature scent, ever. And now that I have come of age, I understand why. This is a lovely, very womanly unique scent. Notice how almost nobody can think of a similar scent with this one? I believe that Estee Lauder made White Linen something that cannot be easily duplicated or copied. The balance of its notes are admirably good. Never heady or too strong, yet it isn't light and unnoticeable. White Linen is a classic compliment-receiver. I would categorize it as something that women in their 30's-50's would wear. Even with that said, it's not an old-woman scent. In fact, it smells fresh yet it possesses a comfortable hint of warmth. It has elegant characteristics that are perfect for a woman knows what she wants.

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

It's is my favourite Estée Lauder perfume. It is so fresh and clean. It is timeless and perfect for summer. I love the crispness of it. White flowers. Mmmmm.

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

Refined, restrained, powdery, and lovely on me. I've worn White Linen for nearly 30 years, and always received compliments.

LoveForYMCMB
LoveForYMCMB

I used tohate tis scent, now ithasg rew on me and i havestarted to like it. It's so light ahnd refreshing, it also reminds me of my mother every time i wear it, sadly i only have a few drops left :(.
It lasts FOREVER, but it's not a girl's scent, it's a woman's scent.

Cairo Rose
Cairo Rose

This perfume is perfect for summer...it has that crisp fresh laundry scent but still comes off quite classy too. The floral notes are perfectly blended and not overpowering, just the right amount of powder nothing stuffy. I imagine wearing this to a ladies luncheon in a garden conservatory.

DivineDiva
DivineDiva

My best friend introduced me to White Linen in the 80's and I have wore it ever since...While I cannot wear the cologne, I layer the body wash and body cream for a lasting fragrance explosion...

I once had a gentleman follow me for two blocks because the fragrance trailed me as I walked back to my office on a summers day and gave me a compliment and wanted to know what I was wearing....

I have worn many scents, but never had a man follow me and give me a compliment with any of them, only with White Linen....

Fragrantnatic
Fragrantnatic

Again, with my "addiction" ( haha!) to Estee Lauder's fragrances, this one is also one of my favorites in the 90"s.. must have finished 2 large bottles of these back then! ♥ I remember fondly how fresh smelling this is on my skin & that aside from Beautiful I love to wear this to work. Its a very "Elegant & Classy Lady" scent. Nice! ♥

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Classic, clean, crisp, freshly starched and pressed. This is a fragrance that is so crisp that it seems that it needs to be worn when wearing something that has just come straight out of the dry-cleaner... or like you are a slave to your iron.

Since moving to California, I very rarely buy a garment that requires dry-cleaning or ironing. This is too crisp for my taste - plus, I'm far from being a total slob, but I don't wear the color white much because it is a lot more "high maintenance" than other colors.

Ok, I admit - perhaps I'm biased here. When I hear the name "White Linen" - I think EXTREMELY HIGH MAINTENANCE!!! Have you ever worn a white linen outfit and sat down in it? Then you know what I'm talking about? Right?

It wrinkles like CRAZY, then you feel that you should be pressing the outfit, rather than enjoying yourself. You become a slave to that which you are wearing.

Who needs THAT?
NEXT...
I have learned NOT to do "White Linen". I don't wear white linen - and this fragrance is unappealing to me because of my reaction to its name.

Yes... a name IS ***THAT IMPORTANT***!!! Particularly when you are wearing a perfume, because people will always ask you what you are wearing -- and who wants to rattle off a really weird or cheesy name?

I like the name "White Linen". It seems upper crust and high maintenance, but it seems to be the antithesis of who and what I really like to BE... more down to earth.

This is not my thing, but it may be yours.

Try it and see what YOU think of it.

--------------

Does the name influence you?
Or-- is it just me?

---------------

If you like Estee Lauder's White Linen - you will probably also like the newer fragrance by Valentino - called Valentina. It has a very clean, fresh, laundry smell to it also - and is very sexy and clean - for those of you who are turned on by just out of the dryer fresh bed linens.

katiesweetpea
katiesweetpea

I remember the 1st time I smelled this on a friend. It was arresting. Then I loved it! Too powerful for me now though. I gotta laugh at some of these reviews with the same SLAMMMM 1st impression. It is all FRESH CLEEEEEAN SUMMER . Closest I go now is Eau De Jardins by Clairns.

GuanYin2013
GuanYin2013

I am a newbie to fragrances. I admit I have little idea what perfumistas are talking about when they mention 'aldehydes', 'leathers', 'chypres' and what not. I am trying to educate my nose and bring the same sophistication to my use of fragrance as I do to eating good food, enjoying art and so on. (Why don't they teach this sort of thing in schools instead of the useless stuff they inflict on children? Sigh.) I have been buying samples, 1ml to 10ml sizes, on eBay. It is a cheap and easy way to try dozens of samples although I realise I might get an occasional dud sample.

Okay, enough background now specifics: I bought a 30ml sample of White Linen EDP for £4.00 plus £1.25 P&P from a private seller not a dealer. It is a genuine sample of the EDP with labels and receipts. According to the reference book 'Perfumes' by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez and many reviews on Fragrantica and Basenotes this is a classic fragrance - Sanchez gives it five stars. I sprayed a tiny sample on the back of my hand three hours ago and am still recoiling from the smell. It is so horrific I felt moved to write my first review. I should have mentioned in my intro that I am a non-smoker, a vegan, and I can't eat salt and vinegar crisps because they cause chemical burns on my tongue - maybe I am just a big wimp and maybe I have lived too sheltered a life?

First impressions? Shock and awe - something like a chemical weapon was released into the atmosphere. My nose began to burn and picked up a smell like drain cleaner or raw bleach. My nose reacted to the smell the way my eyes react to raw onion or the chlorine in municipal swimming baths - agonised weeping. Past the bleach there is an undertone of something obscene and sweet like a decomposing body. I used to smell something like this in the anatomy class at medical school. If I allow myself to venture a little further into this gothic nightmare then I get a bad flowers smell like hyacinths flowers that are 'turning' and releasing a heady, sickly, dirty, honey, lily, funeral flowers stink. Hovering around the edges of this symphony to nastiness is a sharp, acrid soapiness that is like salt rubbed in an open wound. This perfume smells so bad it should be taken out behind the barn and shot.

It does not remind me of white linen, crisp old-fashioned nurses' uniforms, freshly laundered bedding. It reminds me of used bandages. What does it remind me of amongst the other fragrances I have tried? Prada's Infusion D'Iris is a sweet, watery, nothing kind of scent which is almost undetectable yet still catches the back of my nose and makes me sneeze. What Infusion D'Iris insinuates, White Linen screeches from the roof tops. Penhaligon's Bluebell is a thoroughly disgusting so-called fragrance which very accurately captures the smell of hyacinth flowers - not when fresh and delicious but when they are decomposing on the compost heap. Until I smelt White Linen, Bluebell was my most hated 'perfume'. White Linen takes Bluebell and tries to mask the rottenness by drowning it in disinfectant. It doesn't work. Curiously, the disinfectant just highlights the ugliness and makes it unavoidable. If these three fragrances form my own personal smell hell, and they do, then White Linen is the jeering Beelzebub with the pitchfork.

Note to self: avoid anything described as containing "aldehydes", "hyacinths", "bluebells", or "lilies".

What do I like to wear? I guess I should tell you so you can calibrate my reaction to White Linen. Well, this last week or so I have been wearing Salvador Dali's Laguna as a base (I love the warm, salty, vaguely coconutty smell it fades down to) and adding an occasional zingy top note with Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (a sweet Bronnley-esque English lemon) or Chanel's Egoiste Platinum (an attractive complex sharp spiciness I cannot name - gets a mere 2 stars from Luca Turin but his book gave White Linen 5 stars so I don't trust his judgement, I trust my own). I like to tweak things so I couldn't resist mixing fragrances rather than wearing them pure. My ambition? To find a fragrance which successfully combines warmth and piquancy and offers endless complexity which delights in all its stages. Perfection - is that too much to hope for? Chuckle.

What happens now? Scrub off the White Linen horror and apply Laguna. I also bought Pure White Linen, Pleasures, and Beautiful from the same person who sold me White Linen. If I get the courage to try them, I'll share my experience with more reviews. I hope this review has been of interest and apologies for my lack of skill in describing smells. Also if White Linen is your cup of tea then I apologise for being unable to share your taste - seems your experience is the majority view. Of course you should continue to enjoy wearing it but may I request you apply it with a light hand, a little of this paint-stripper goes a long way.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

One of the places from which I find my centre is fragrance. The other is music. Sometimes things are experienced by me in a kind ofcriss-cross of images - experiencing music notes in colour, etc. White linen, my mezzo soprano voice, eminates from the G note whose crisp white major sound makes me think of white sales of a ship moving gently in a summer's breeze. The first burst of fragrance - sharp and crisp - then it all calms down to a field of white and very soft pink, rose, and then down to something musky and powdery - clean and pure like pearls, though to me not old. It was a signature scent years ago, but sometimes its soprano voice is still heard on my skin when I need to feel a place of heavenly calm and cool on a a hot pressing and busy summer day in my workplace here in the South
Classy, elegant - and as someone said not a seductive fragrance. It certainly evokes memories - white sales, green forests, children playing as parents prepare the picnic, perhaps even a white linen table cloth - a dinner to be set for two friends/business associates? Or two old friends, graceful dignified, who over dinner reminisce over all that has passed. ?
Wore it to hospital recently and received a compliment. That from a nurse, so perhaps the writer who mentioned perfumes for certain settings has a point - there is a strategy. I wear certain fragrances for fighting, contesting arguing, others to win over, others to seduce - others to make a strong statement.

As far as one of my very first loves, beloved G major scent, playing serenely joyful a minuet or two- long live White Linen!!!

xpetra82
xpetra82

it smells kind of old...but so chic!
My 'new' vintage love...
i spray everything with it...notebooks pilows scarfs....my hair...it is gr8!

lapierrefine
lapierrefine

So aptly named! This and Cristalle are my favorite summer perfumes. I actually do wear this with white linen suits, polka dots or seersucker. I loved this when I was much younger, but adore it now that I'm... much older. Some perfumes you grow into as your chemistry changes.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

It smells like a grandma's body powder. A strong opening burst of aldehydes that is quite stingy and hurts my nose. Reminds me of an Ivory soap with its scent strengtened 10 times. It turns powdery jasmine and rose after a while. If the concept of "squeaky- clean" is turned into a perfume, I will, with no hesitation, nominate this one... not a bad perfume but definitely not for me. I own a bottle though and I am keeping it as part of my collection. I do not however think you will ever catch me wearing this perfume.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Each time I smell this I am intrigued but did not love enough to buy a full bottle. During our trip to Oregon coast, an antique shop in Wheeler had miniature parfums of Estee Lauder scents, one of which is White Linen. At $5 a bottle, it was an easy sale. The edp in stores as testers seem too strongly aldehydic but the parfum concentration is lovely - the aldehydes are not overpowering and nauseating. Green and aldehydes - reminiscent of Miss Dior originale/extrait - and floral all perfectly blended as a beautiful and unique scent. I would not wear this to entice my husband. It would be more suitable for a walk in the park on a sunny spring day or to perk me up. It is happy and invigorating. It is much softer than Ivoire de Balmain without the asofaetida (blech). It seems similar to Chanel Cristalle. In the drydown, the aldehydes disappear and am left with fresh greens. For that reason, I would love a big bottle.

One spray on me,
Sillage: about a foot or two
Longevity: 4-6 hours
Rating: parfum=4/5, edp=3/5

Gia85
Gia85

This was the first perfume that I bought and it was a great love, now I use it a little but when I put it I feel at peace with the world and see the paradise

PennyClover
PennyClover

this is my everyday go-to signature fragrance - always clean and sophisticated

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

A very fresh summer fragrance. Have had two bottles over the years. Crisp, clean smelling, (just like it says on the tin!) - use sparingly or you will get a headache! Still a great scent, a real classic.

brian.cloutier1
brian.cloutier1

clean casual sunny happy fragrance...very fresh!

redolent_one
redolent_one

I've alwasy hated this juice, it's only 1 of 2 in my 'hatred' category.

It's long past now but I still remember hating it. I looked it up to see what group and notes were in it so I can avoid buying those types of perfumes in the future!

maryellen125
maryellen125

Bought a bottle of this once, so I must have liked something about it. But after a while, it smelled like, well, like bug spray. Ended up throwing it away, and chalked it up to bad body chemistry. Last month I was sitting with a group and suddenly felt like I was getting a cold- a sharp pain in the inner corner of my eyes. Then I realized, White Linen. I love the fabric, but this scent does nothing for me, sorry.

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

Smells musky and smoky to me. Slightly elegant, yes, but...very musky which turns me off.

EDIT!!
I tried this miniature bottle of mine again tonight and got a totally different opinion of it! I've been feeling kinda...romantic/sensuous lately and this smells good for such a mood.
I'm new to aldehyde notes but once I heard Chanel no.5 has the similar note, I found that aldehydes is definitely intensive here.
Opens up soapy, like good quality detergent alongside muskiness and floral notes. I detect notes of purple florals on my skin but they are competing with the base notes, which my skin tends to project.
Mmm, the aldehyde note is giving me the impression of classy, high end perfumery in departmental stores. I'll be putting this on my "want list".

TRIIRIS94

Perfect for everyday use.

HopeFloats72
HopeFloats72

I don't know what it is with my chemistry and aldehydes but we just DO NOT mix! I borrowed this once in college for a date (a BLIND date, at that) and the entire night I kept wondering why my date smelled like chlorine. Turned out it was me and the uber-stinky White Linen I had borrowed from my roommate. UGH...I love almost all things House of Lauder (my flavor of the week right now is YDAN) but this stuff just does not mesh with me. Usually the amber will do well on my skin, but this blend lacks the sandalwood my skin just radiates so this one is a NO GO for me.

angelleew
angelleew

I used to love this scent, but haven't used it in a very long time. One of the last times I did, a college boy informed me that I smelled awesome, like a "fresh bag" of "really good weed" that was "still moist". I smirk every time I think about it... and it may just have been my body chemistry then, but if you are a pothead, or know one-- this may be the perfect perfume for them. I always thought it was fresh and early-summery. Definitely a green smell, but a sophisticated one. I think I'll have to get a new bottle and see if I still smell like freshly picked mary jane.

corinnesmith1
corinnesmith1

When I was young, about 9, my mom got a tiny bottle of this in an Estee Lauder gift w/purchase. I thought it was so refreshing and unexpected. I was even a little mad when she decided that she wanted to wear it. All in all, I do love to smell it on other people. It feels very secure, fresh and comforting in an elegant, refined sort of way.

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

This seems like very much a mature woman's fragrance. My mom used to have it, and she also smokes, so it's a nice memory (the WL and the smoke together sort of worked). But I would never wear it - on me it's way too powdery and kind of nauseating.

Violettera
Violettera

It's very soapy because of the aldehydes and that is the reason I liked it so much in the past. I still like it, I always have a bottle of it, but recently it looks to me quite old and agressive with an overaged way.

lspreack
lspreack

This is my Grandma's signature scent and it is everything that she is feminine, graceful, beautiful. One whiff of this perfume and I'm with my Grandma comforted and warm. Defines what a woman should be truly. I can't wear it because this is my Grandma, and wouldnt want it to have any other association.

Kysyona
Kysyona

I sniffed it more than once now, once tested it on my skin and came to the conclusion: it has the right to exist, but as a tiny amount in my closet. Main reasons why I would not wear it daily: 1. it is hardly a man magnet, and I don't want my husband to be reminded that he's behind ( again! ) with helping me to do the laundlry! :) 2. in winter this scent does not work at all and definitely doesn't bring any warmth or cosyness one craves in those months. 3. It is hardly long-lasting ( at least on me ), and I absolutely hate having to reapply, knowing that this is no bargain price buy. Now, when I WOULD wear this: 1. at a very serious business meeting where you want to blend with those who "have a pair" and not be singled out as a weaker sex individual right away. 2. After a big uncluttering spring clean of the house, when everything is finally sparkling, the rooms are aired and I want to sit down and enjoy the fruits of my labour feeling the surge of "cleanliness and order " before the family ride into this picture of domestic perfection altering it to the point of unrecognizeable. 3. When I teach / help with homework etc. : this scent has discipline in it, and it sort of helps to focus in my view, like all clean ascetic scents.
4. If I have a baby and am still breastfeeding: the powder's calming effect and cosyness of fresh fabric is what babies appreciate much more than adults. Because it has such a narrow usage span for me, I am rating it not higher than 3 lippies: versatility is something that is probably the hardest in perfumery to achieve, and here the task has not been acomplished.

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

Y'know...the older white linen used to smell a lot more green. Cedar-like and very strong. I suppose it's just the aged liquid in the bottle, I don't know but every classic scent seems to have been extremely reformulated.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

I LOVE this. It is so light, clean, airy, and fresh. Amazing for spring, yet light enough for summer. White Linen is extremely classy and stands up there with other classic, landmark fragrances. Estee Lauder's fragrances from the older days (Estee, Private Collection, and this one) are the real masterpieces in the Estee Lauder line. Beautiful, classic, sophisticated, feminine. Love it!

TRIIRIS94

Very elegant for spring time.I like it.

cronai
cronai

I love this scent! It was one of my favorites some ten years ago. It is one of those you-can't-go-wrong-with-it fragrances, perfect to use to work and to interviews; it has a very crisp, very elegant smell.

sassylu
sassylu

I used to wear this in the 90's I have forgotten how nice it smells.

laura.linger.3
laura.linger.3

I wore this constantly when I worked at a bank in 1992. To me, it smells of elegance, dignity, stockings and heels, grown-up dresses, short clean manicured fingernails, seriousness, hair in a French twist. Beautiful, and very dignified.

Soap
Soap

White Linen smells like carbonated baby powder to me. It's zesty and definitely a mature scent.

cbishton
cbishton

Many years ago this was my signature fragrance. While I was, in fact, somewhat fond of it, what I remember the most was how many compliments I ALWAYS received when I wore it. It is interesting how one's body chemistry reacts with certain fragrances and draws people in. The only reason I stopped wearing it is because I strongly associate it with a relationship of long duration that left me with nothing but heartbreak, regret, and a son. They say that scent is the most powerful of the senses for invoking memory and I find that to be true. I had a substantial perfume collection at one time, which I abandoned, and am still on the quest for a new signature scent. I know these reviews are supposed to describe the scent of the fragrance but isn't perfume more than that? Isn't it also about how one feels when wearing it?

jesseg
jesseg

in the begining i only smell the aldhydes,,,then in the dry down which takes around 15 to 30 minutes the rose and peach and benzion come out creating a smoky tobacco cloud...its very closse to habanita in my opinion

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A very short-lived, close to the skin mature piercing floral..

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0-5 mins - 8 inch projection

5 mins- 1 hours -3 inch projection. This is a grown up classic aroma, piercing and alive on the skin - possibly the mass use of aldehydes. It smells like a white floral and is distinctive and this is the best bit. Ages 58-68

1 hours - 3.5 hours - 1.5 inch projection. Have to smell the skin directly to get anything

3.5 hours - 5.5 hours. Close to the skin, musky-natural violet with some smokiness on the skin - not nice and very common place

Not for me

Migalex
Migalex

Well, this one is a classic but I think it has been reformulated because I find the adehyds now far too harsh, overbearing, and never wearing off. It has always had a very intense, like an explosion, aldehyds scent, which lasted for hours, but now I find it cruder, harsher, and longer living. The scent seems also to be much stronger. Applied liberally, it is probably headache inducing. I consider the current version almost if not literally unwearable. Before I used to notice in White Linen a wondeful drastic progression, starting with the aldehyds, moving on through a stage to me a bit reminiscent of L'air du Temps to end up with what I thought was one of the most wonderful drydowns I ever smelled. The changes were so dramatic that it was like having three perfumes in one. It made me wonder where did that drydown come from, like a layer which was hidden between two other layers which had nothing to do with it. I think it was a true masterpiece. Now I cannot notice the same transitions and I find the aldehyds too agressive, and they do not wear off the same way. I notice the same change in First, which is very similar. First is actually older and I like it better. I do respect White Linen though, and despite my personal reaction to what I think is the latest reformulation, could not question its place as a classic perfume. It is very very strong, which to me is a plus, because I like strong perfumes and It has a very strong character and it does make a statement. Well, I think the key is the quantity you wear, a little bit will do, to avoid its getting overbearing.

Julie une femme
Julie une femme

I tried this at the perfume counter today. With the initial shock of pure aldehydes and powder, I was convinced that Estee Lauder had changed White Linen. I wore this in the late eighties in college when we were partying to REM and The Cure. Let me tell you, the guys loved it. College guys...twenty year olds..have young guys really changed that much in twenty five years? I doubt it. So what happened? What happened is that this fragrance needs a good hour to calm down..then the floral element, especially the rose starts coming out that I remembered so well. I can vouch for all the positive reviews of White Linen on this board, however, if I think about the negative reviews that say this smells like pee...well honestly I lived in the city in the summer and pee has sweetish smell that could arguably be said to be this way. It's a matter of opinion. I am sniffing it on my wrist right now, and for me, the positive reviews win in my mind. Still, I wouldn't recommend a blind buy on this one, just as I wouldn't recommend it for Chanel No 5.

dmaw
dmaw

Wanted to love this one, as I do love the fabric. Unfortunately, something old lady about it. Pure White Linen is more modern and "young".

fishmerised
fishmerised

Loved this scent on somebody else and rushed out to buy a bottle all those years ago. Alas, it smelt like cat pee on me - really yucky. Now I don't even like to smell it on anyone else - just brings back those cat pee notes.

Very clean and powdery intensive floral fragrance!

Most of all I feel the powdery violet, jasmine, orris, moss and vetiver notes in the fragrance. In the beginning this fragrance smells maybe too intensively soapy, but then it becomes more tender and the floral notes start to smell very nice.

I prefer this original White Linen to all the new versions for sure, because it's more noble, classy and elegant! I like this fragrance.

HelenAnn
HelenAnn

This was my signature perfume for 20 years! Loved it then, beautifully clean and fresh. Now my "nose" prefers a slightly richer, spicier more sophisticated fragrance.

stormyla
stormyla

Here's a perfume whose lovely fragrance disappears on me. An hour after application, it's as if I never applied it. Such a shame, it is a beautiful scent.

White Linen smells exactly like I expected it to smell from the name...but actually a tad better I think! It reminded me immediately of a freshly starched and ironed shirt. It borders on smelling like laundry detergent, yet it doesn't smell nearly as synthetic. I was surprised to see that this was created in 1978 because it simply DOES NOT smell that dated to me. I'm not sure if I'd ever buy it, but it certainly has all the elements of a classic in my book.

Jacster
Jacster

Wore it to *death* in the '80s and now can't go back to it.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Must agree aldehyde quite strong here with powdery floral notes. The name is deceiving, it does not smell like linen at all, but more like ancient medieval princess quarters type a scent. Hermes Caleche spot on resemblance.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Full throttle aldehyde overload in a bottle.

An hour of squeaky clean soap followed by clovey flowers.

Nothing to rave about, to me, it smells like every other soapy floral out there...K Krizia, BB Amazing, etc.

It is lighter than No22, so I guess that's a plus.

Meh...

Jan246
Jan246

This is one of the most beautiful scents of all time imo. Fresh, crisp, and breezy. It was the first "signature" perfume I wore and have never found another one that I've stuck with for years. This scent is amazing, and it's the one I compare others to.

tpeacock
tpeacock

Very elegant, fresh and clean. Quite powerful, I found a little goes a long way. Too bracing for me, but definitely worth a try if you like crisp florals.

missymary
missymary

Now that I'm becoming an aldehyde junkie, I've met White Linen and I might get hooked on it, it's too early to say. What I like is that the powder and rose in the aldehyde is not too dominant, as it so often is, here it's driven by the bitter and fresh zest in the background notes. They are not exactly citrus, actually when mixed with the soapiness, they are curiously chypre. At first it reminded me of the wonderful cooling detergent smell from a batch of newly ironed clothes. Then as it settled I got more conventional green and pleasant clean perfumey classic vibes.

For me there are similarites to Private Collection and Knowing, but this is younger, lighter and more airy, much better for modern unconventional women.It's the only Lauder that gives me those feelings, all the others smell more generic and old-fashioned.

It's feminine in that very virginal nubile sexy way that was described by Victoria Beckham speaking of how she regards her own sexual appeal.

For me White Linen is an acquired taste and once acquired it might become fixed forever.

Thalia
Thalia

I find White Linen fascinating -- less of a perfume than a sensory special effect. It goes on loud and insistent and stays that way, with an aggressive, piercing quality. It smells clean in a way, but cleanliness would really be the absence of smell and there is nothing absent about White Linen.

I do find the sharpness and almost metallic quality of this scent very invigorating, like cold air. And for all its lack of subtlety, it's not over simple; there are floral and rich facets adorning the handle of this olfactory ice-pick.

I don't wear it often -- usually in the dog days of summer, when I want that blast of chilly purity -- but when I do I'm always impressed.

truffles
truffles

I wanted to revisit this, and check out if I'd like it beyond my neutral to slightly negative 80s impressions. Thanks to icekat for the decant.
I wouldn't call this a 'clean' perfume at all!
As soon as I put it on my hand and sniffed, I felt this to be a deeply sensual and evocative perfume.
Evocative of what? Well, I'm not really sure how to explain - my mind was filled with dreamy and mysterious atmospheres and associations in reaction to White Linen. I suppose if I had to pull some names out of the smell, they would be 'violet' - and I don't usually like violets in blends but this is sublime - and a very particular type of 'rose'. WL is also delicately powdery, but not a fusty powdery.
Clean? No. It's not my idea of 'clean'. However I like it!

Hallo_smiling

oh my god .. thats not a perfum ,.. i normally use to buy "Beautiful" von E. Lauder .. and i really love it !!.. as i read that "white line" suppoused to be similar as "Chanel 22" and the conbination seems to be similar as "Beautiful" i bought it ..but oh..surprise !! it smells sooo strong and sooo penetrant .. and sooo intensiv like cigarrete or something smoking .. i did not like it absolutly not !!!

Hallo_smiling

no.. absolutly no .. it smells terrible.. i just could not get this terrible odor for 3 hours ..

normally i love aldehydics (chanel 22 for example) but white linen it stinks "old"

fumelover
fumelover

I am a big fan of the 80's, heavy-hitters (Obsession, Eternity, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Opium, etc.) but now, in my 40's, I prefer clean and pretty. I wore Dream Angels "Heavenly" for years and years. That scent smells REALLY good on me, but it doesn't last and I was spraying and spraying for nothing plus it's so common.

I wore the entire Philosophy line for a year and their scents, although likable, just don't last so after several trial and errors which included Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere, I decided that I want a soft, clean pretty, powdery smell that lasts.

White Linen is that scent. It's not the screechy loud scent that I shunned from the 80's. It seems much more wearable to me. Smells feminine and clean but not clean like laundry. Just very crisp and fresh upon opening and the dry down is this soft, velvety iris smell.

If I spray it in my hair, it will last all day. On skin, about 6 hours which is pretty darn good these days. It doesn't have that "old lady" vibe that I remember it having back in the day. Plus, it's so affordable. I'd love to try the lotion.

Friesianfriendly
Friesianfriendly

This used to be my signature fragrance, beginning in 1980 when I was in my early teens. Over the years I've tried various forms of this and I've found that the parfum oil is definitely the one that smells best. It is smoother, warmer, and just plain more beautiful. The parfum oil seems to have a complexity that the EDP lacks but it's missing the harsh note that's in the EDP. White Linen smells good on some people and lousy on others; do give it a try before you decide. The lasting power will vary from person to person as well. After wearing this scent for over twenty years, I've never had a single male human being take a deep sniff and not love it on me. Women sometimes like it and sometimes don't, but the worst I've ever been told is "You smell just like my aunt."

stephan
stephan

I bought this fragrance because it was my mother's favorite scent, and she passed away 7 years earlier.
I remember how her mother-in-law always gave her Arpège for any occasion, but my mother never liked Arpège.
So she only wore Arpège to visit her parents-in-law.
The other days, it was White Linen.
So I just bought myself a bottle, 60ml EdP.
This is just amazing on my skin.
I'm almost ashamed to say it smells better than on my mother (or is this a reformulation that is better than the Vintage?)
Lately I tried a lot of musk based fragrances; some niche brands (MKK, MR) and some drugstore stuff.
I knew I was craving for something...
Now that I've found White Linen, I understand it wasn't any musk fragrance I needed, but WL.
The aldehydes in this EdP have a very very slight animalic vibe to it (like a cat protecting her kittens), and even something similar (only similar) to a tobacco note, but the whole things manage to smell extremely clean on me, without being cloying like Amber (Prada) or clean/dirty like Amber Intense (Prada), without smelling feminine like Chanel N°5.
This is THE fragrance for women who want to smell great without seducing.
On a man, iI think it is quite seducing!

Channi770711
Channi770711

I absolutely love White Linen, I always get compliments when I'm wearing it. My aunt has been using it for years. It's a classic fragrance and smells like no other

cloyd42
cloyd42

Another unexpected pleasure from Estee Lauder. This came to me in a trade and I wanted to sample it before putting it in my trade box. As expected the aldehydes saluted me sharply with the expected clean chill. What I wasn't expecting was the next note: benzoin, which normally takes a long time to come up in a scent like this. While the florals are definitely there they seem to support the benzoin and woodmoss more than taking the preeminent role. (EDP by the way)As several hours pass I'm immensely enjoying what I've come to expect from Sophia Grojsman: scents that are complex changeable and completely grown-up. Estee Lauder may not be at the very zenith of perfume houses with names like Guerlain but they've never received the credit they deserve for being as good, if not better, than most of the big-name French houses like Givenchy and Chopard.

Sillage: noticeable in a car
Duration: excellent, 5-6 hours with most notes
Fabulosity: a perfect Manhattan with a perfect cherry
Value to price ratio: excellent

ION
ION

Oh well, you can't go wrong with Estee Lauder perfumes.
Really! They are so delicious and well made and on the cheaper side that if you don't like the first one you sample, you'll most certainly like the second and surely leave the shop having bought the third. :)
One must applaud the company for providing such great products in common sense prices!
Having said that, "White Linen" is another interesting (for its bold simplicity) perfume created by one of the best noses in the business (Ms Grojsman, as always, has adapted to the spirit of the company exceptionally well!).
It starts very nice and floral (it has a very tidy character I must say) and soon becomes like "Effervescent Clean"!
Frankly, there's nothing more to say about it, apart from the fact that I actually find it a very good perfume for the car.
I keep a small bottle there and spray the seats every now and then.. :)

RkrChk
RkrChk

The lemon, cedar, peach, and benzoin are working an incredibly snazzy concoction on my skin right now...Aldehydes are hardly ever friendly to me, but with this frag, they are rolling out the red carpet! The orris, jasmine and Bulgarina rose are complimenting each other as the oakmoss and vetiver peak through ever so gently...

I can't stop sniffing my wrist which is the ultimate 'test' point since this area always seems to eat up any fragrance...WL is holding up extremely well, and boy, does it smell CLASSY...It reminds me of vintage YSL's Rive Gauche...This is definitely a keeper...Gotta get a huge bottle of this now!

jtd
jtd

I enjoy White Linen for the fact that it is cheapness done well. Conceptually so downmarket (soap) yet executed so brashly (1 part aldehyde, 1 part laundry detergent musk, one part whatever your notion of a bar of “floral” soap is.) This is the olfactory equivalent of holding a large tuning fork to your skull, but for hours. I can imagine for many women this might just seem simple, oldish in style and unsubtle, but on a man, it’s a great alternative (CLEAN) to so many current men’s fragrances (FRESH.) The camp of wearing a squeaky clean girly fragrance is added enticement.

But I have one particular use for White Linen. I’m an RN and work in a hospital. Search through the basenotes forums and you’ll find plenty of discussions about inflicting fragrance on those around you, the hospital being the ultimate battleground for this argument. I have a few scents that I wear to work, each with a different strategy as to why it works. (More on this in later posts.) White Linen is easily my favorite, since it’s akin to being in drag in scrubs. On a man I think this simply reads as so-clean-you-still-have-soap-on-you clean. The only comments I’ve gotten from my patient are, literally, “You smell so clean!” I imagine if were a woman wearing this she might be accused of wearing too much or too strong a fragrance. It’s fun screwing with gender assumptions in general. With perfume, it’s a delight.

TankGirl
TankGirl

White Linen is a really good scent and it does remind me of my moms white linen!
The scent is very fresh, chic, soapy...
Its like a perfected version of Dove soap. I remember that one of my teachers used to wear this.
The main notes on my skin are definatly carnation, lemon, aldehydes...
Its a great scent to wear in a winter morning, with your best fur coat or a silky blouse.
Ageless, classic, feminine, great!
Thank you Estee Lauder!

Sillage: Big
Longevity: Amazing on my skin

8.5/10

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

This was my signature fragrance for many years. While other friends my age at the time were using newly launched heavy hitters like Obsession, Giorgio, Red and Poison, I felt set apart in this fragrance. It was fresh, airy,open, and perhaps somewhat atypical for a teenager to wear at that time. This fragrance was part of who I was back then, so it is much like an old friend to me now....not seen enough or very often, but always a fondness in the heart. I haven't worn it for almost 2 decades. It is too special of a perfume to only hold in my heart; perhaps I should make it part of me once again.

lukkyme
lukkyme

eatee lauder has some of the most beautiful & classic perfumes around in my humble opinion WL not there best oe the worst im writing this not just about WL. but all the other 'classics that people get on here & knock for being''OLD LADY'' aldehyde out of date i know they want every ones opinion but...we are all gonna smell like brittany spears of flower bomb or aqualinapink etc.. those are consumer wise the most popular these days bcuz tweens &teens have the money 2 spend 40-90 dollars a bottle on perfume in the last 10 years or so anyway we did have a few tween perfumes (b.t.w i enjoy a sweetperfume time 2 time) they was EXCLAMATION in the black & white bottle ici & longing & diors poison if u had the moneybut NOW these cottoncandybumblegum dominates 75% of the market thats also fine...here is my point PLEASE dont come keep knocking the classic becuz they keep -reformulating-them 2 ''suit'a younger person but they are only ruining them& turning them into sumthin we dont like &also YOU dont like & remember when all these girls grow up this new 75%with the money they will want sumthin other than pineaple-bubbleyum-paris-brittany-justin beiber-cherries etc . . i like a few of these but i would DIE in a world of only those this should be copy & pasted to the other classics that are in dangers comment box everone who reads this if you have 1 youLOOOOVED that got RE-DONE please post its name i want to make a list the one that killed me was when they RUINED diors-dolce vita :( a very very sad indeed R.I.P dolce vita

MizLiz
MizLiz

Surprise! White Linen isn't the harsh concoction of dish soap that I thought it was. Recently, I got past the aldehydic opening blast and gave White Linen a good, long try. Oh, hello, soft rose heart, I had no idea you were there. And the fresh, powdery, somewhat green base? Where did that come from? I have neglected White Linen for far too long. And I think I will be getting to know it a lot better this summer!

Lovely, clean, white, soapy. Not sure if it's the power of suggestion, but it does remind me of freshly washed laundry, but with a more sophisicated edge. This is for someone that's confident and mature, but still fun and friendly.

madameka
madameka

une odeur délicate de drap de lin séché au soleil ,pour un jour ou vous vous sentez femme ,en accord avec vous mème .....une réussite modeste.

Lassie
Lassie

I guess you either love it or hate it. Very strong, very sharp, not a perfume to wear in a hot crowded bar, so not for little girls who frequent Bath & Body Works. It is classy, sophisticated, crisp, and clean smelling, and I picture an elegant lady wearing a white linen suit, having a cocktail at the yacht club. I do like just the smallest spritz on my pillow, where I can lay my head and dream of better things.

Breath fashion
Breath fashion

I personally dont like or dislike this perfume...my mom has wore this perfume for many many years .This is her signiture scent and when i smell this scent it reminds me of my mom.

tinties
tinties

Aaah, to be young again!
I couldn't possible give you a objective review of this scent (if that is at all possible) as all my fondest teenage memories seem to cling to it: first party, first boyfriend, first ... well, you get the idea.
I used the perfume again ten years ago trying to seduce the man I loved ... it didn't work at all. Not sure if White Linen was to blame for that disaster, though!

Sissi
Sissi

When I tried White Linen on a test strip It was love at
first sight W.L was the first Fragrance In my opinion
to recreate freshly dried linen that just came out of
the drier or cloths drying in the Wind under a clear
blue summer sky on a clothes line and when i received
a sample bottle of White Linen i was ecstatic and sprayed on my skin Then it turned sour on my skin
and i was a bit puzzled is this a bad sample because
sometimes perfumes do go bad due to age or
manufacturing or it's my skin chemistry some scents
don't work on some scents and maybe this is not one
of them I don't want to pinpoint that White Linen is
a mere disappointment which is not or a average run
off the mill Fragrance i really think it's the harsh
aldehyde with the mixture of Lemon and Honey
Aldehydes have to be carefully blended to make sure
not get a plastic and cloying smell but nether-less
a unique Treasure.

Budaqueen
Budaqueen

I have never been one for light, airy, soapy fragrances.
I used to wear mostly orientals (Samsara being one of the most memorable), and occasionally go for something a bit fruity or citrusy for the hot summer months.
But recently, I have come round to the beauty of white flowers and craved "clean" scents. Therefore, I was intrigued by White linen... after all, this vintage scent boasts a very clean, soapy smell, and so I could not go wrong with it... could I? So I went and tested it recently, having always avoided the Estee Lauder section of any perfume shop (somehow, none of the fragrances really attract me). Well... instead of the clean and light "baby powder" scent, I got something very stuffy and overpowering. The hyacint came through as a sharp note, with the honey and aldehyds giving a slighly nauseating twist to the whole affair. After a while, the scent totally disappeared with no trace, only the faintest of drydown.
So this has definitely not converted me to Estee Lauder, or to clean soapy scents.
I will be sticking to "my" clean and fresh scents, namely Love in Paris by Nina Ricci, and Lacoste for women.

Kiku
Kiku

White Linen was born a classic. It is the crispest, cleanest perfume I've ever smelled. However it is not light and delicate, it packs quite a punch. The opening is a burst of sunshine and citrus. The heart seems to be a combination of florals though the only one I can distinguish is orris, which gives a pleasant soapiness. The drydown is spicy thanks to cedar, sandalwood, and honey. Most perfumes from White Linen's time seem so dated today but the "big air" feeling of this one keeps it fresh and contemporary.

geekweevil
geekweevil

I got this one in a little set of Lauder perfumes.
The first time I wore it, it made me feel very uneasy, like I was about to get into trouble. I didn't dislike it but I just wasn't sure. It was on my mind a lot, so I found myself giving it another go; and then I suddenly recalled an ex Manager's face...
The rest of the day, this strong,strange, clean smell kept evoking the face of my ex-Manager.

I have asked a mutal ex college if she knew if ex-manager wore this, and she did indeed. So the uneasy smell came from that!

Do I want to wear it again? I'm unsure. Seems to be a polarising perfume with people loving or hating it...Will I 'manage' to overcome the guilty feeling that I've not done my work well enough when I wear it?
I think I will wrestle with this one a bit longer. Not a usual scent, worth fighting for I think.

zellpang
zellpang

an american attempt of channel no.5. Good reference as a perfume from the "floral aldehyde" family.

ogofragrant
ogofragrant

A lifelong favorite (since I was 14). Crisp, clean, fresh. A signature scent that never goes out of style. Classic.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Green, breezy, crisp and sharp. It calmed down a bit, but I just couldn't stand the clean notes, smell very cheap.

On the right person I imagine this could be very fresh and pretty.

Estee has better fragrances.

icekat
icekat

(This review is for Perfume Spray and Body Lotion)

I was curious about WHITE LINEN for quite some time and I finally acquired a bottle. Well, WHITE LINEN is a bit peculiar and strange combination to my nose. On one hand WHITE LINEN is squeaky clean and laundry fresh and it reminds me of white laundry sheets drying outside on a cool and clear morning. On the other hand it is floral aldehydes with quite opulent and strong heart notes of ylang-ylang, rose and carnation which are associated in my mind with elegant and classy going out style perfume. So this is kind of mixture of both in my mind, however strange this may seem. This is like doing laundry in an evening gown. I have to give credit to Estee Lauder for creating this unusual combination.

WHITE LINEN starts with a fresh lemony burst. Then aldehydes come in and for the first few minutes there is this weird sharp and unpleasant note that I strongly dislike. I am not sure what creates this note or how even to describe it. However, it dissipates quick as the scent becomes gradually smooth and floral. There is soapy undertone to the heart notes but it is quite pleasant. I rarely like soapy scents but this one is an exception. Ylang-ylang, carnation, orchid and rose are most prominent in the heart notes. The heart notes remind me of grand traditional floral bouquets from the classical scents. The dry down has woody notes, a bit of honey and benzoin but it is not overly sweet. The soapy feel continues into the dry notes.

I bought White Linen as a gift set and it came with a body lotion. The body lotion smells awesome on me. It is not sharp or overbearing like EDP. I would describe it as a clean, luxurious and sophisticated soap scent with soft floral notes. It is very smooth and comforting. Basically it represents everything I love in WHITE LINEN but minus strong and sharp notes that I am not sure about.
I do not think that WHITE LINEN EDP is my thing but I will definitely use body lotion and perhaps get a body cream if I can find it.

altr01
altr01

Oddly, though I normally hate aldehydes, I do like this. It smells awful and headache-inducing at first but then grows on you. My husband, who first gave it to me, said it smelled like a horse's stable. I think he meant that in a nice way.

Janina
Janina

I tested WL several times before adding this review. The first time I just thought it was really a weird scent. The second time I thought it was ok... the 3rd, 4th... x time :) I still thought it was ok but also nice. But I realized that the reason why I kept on coming back to spray it on again and again was that it actually made me feel good. A comfortable clean and fresh scent that is not narrow minded. A scent of a good person with no bad intentions. That`s how I perceive this fragrance.
Maybe because I come from the Czech Rep (I`m 31 now) and in my childhood there were no such things as expensive perfumes around I never had the chance to associate this with any old person... but still. I`ve been living in the west of Europe long enough to meet crowds of old ladies smelling of WL but somehow I didn`t. And anyway this scent does not have the old lady aura.
It is beautiful, clean and so friendly scent. If I was going for a journey around the world and could take only 1 perfume with me I`d take a bottle of WL.

Now... I`m adding this review after quite a while. So I`m going to Sudan shortly and WL is going with me :)

passionata20
passionata20

This is one of the oddest perfumes i have ever sniffed! It is not associated with anyone in my mind, but it smells very very much like an old lady to me that makes her even more older! I do not smell any linen drying in the sun in this one! I smell dirty linen sheets, that´s all! I am sorry, but it smells indeed like someone has pissed on his/her linen sheets and forgot to wash them right away and left in the heat. That´s maybe my perverted fantasy, but for me it smells like that.

Please do not remove this comment, since others might find it useful. Not every rewiev should be positive, so people like me wanted to make a blind buy might find it very informative. Thanks.

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

She is a rich woman. Independently wealthy. Divorced in the '70's and never remarried. Never needed to. She owns several homes; a Fifth Avenue apartment, a summer home in Newport, one in Belize. She wears White Linen.

i love white linen. goes on very strong, but turns into a crisp, sharp, confidant scent. put it on with a light hand and it will dry down to a lasting feminine aura.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Just tried this yesterday. The opening is a brash, harsh adelhyde burst, and can be quite strong and headache inducing. However, one this faded (and it took about an hour) the mid-range notes were not inspiring...BUT the dry-down was wonderful. Floral, delicate, earthy and spicy on my skin. Lasting power is excellent - could still faintly get the scent on my wrist this morning.
The overall impression is cold - not a winter scent for me - and a soapy floral. It is the dry-down that makes it remarkable for me.
It is not a scent I will be wearing often, but it will have a place in my collection for long-term.

havanadaydream
havanadaydream

If you want to clear a room or end a meeting early ........wear this. It is SO , so bad. I cant stand aldehydes and this is the queen of them. Light Blue hits me the same way. Yuck and more yuck.

In taking up my virgin bottle of WHITE LINEN edp, acquired in the post-ecstatic sleepy-headed bliss of my experience of WHITE LINEN parfum (extrait), I have discovered that, alas, the magic does not fully survive dilution.

WHITE LINEN edp is nice but not nearly so clean and bright—and white—as the extrait. I find the middle section of the development trajectory slightly murky, in fact, as though extra oakmoss somehow oozed out the crevices of the EL KNOWING factory and accidentally made its way into the WHITE LINEN edp vat.

The drydown is nice, and I can still affirm that I like the edp, but it’s not quite the same. Love is no longer in the air, no, not this time around. Désolée.

If you've ever wanted to know what sharp aldehydes smell like, give White Linen a try.

This fragrance is an aldehyde overload, so much to the point that it smells like a white, sparkling bathroom. There's huge doses of powder, soap, laundry and flowers in White Linen. The clean qualities are so bold that it's sometimes difficult to point out any individual notes.

While I do love aldehydes, I prefer them in smaller doses. White Linen is a scent I like my sheets to smell of, but perhaps not my own skin.

This fragrance is also typical of those 80's fragrances, being a monster in terms of sillage and reliable in terms of longevity.

I'm only 20, so strong perfumes such as this one make me feel too old before my time. Not saying that this is a so-called 'old lady scent', but it does have more mature connotations. Along with that thought, personally I find this fragrance far too chemical, powdery and sharp for my liking.

jedikitty
jedikitty

I got a mini of White Linen, to test, and I am very glad it was just a mini as this scent did not work for me at all. Matter of fact, I put just a teeny tiny dab on the wrist... and nearly fainted. Aldehydes, VERY strong, pungent aldehydes, and nothing else. I don't mind well balanced aldehydes at all (like CD Miss Dior, for example) but this was really awful. Someone compared it to a whiff of detergent. I'd agree and go a step further - I thought I dunked my whole head into a box of not so nice smelling detergent. No line-dried linens were present...

nova6
nova6

A nice lady came into work wearing this scent...I did,t have the heart to tell her she smelled like a dank old cellar with an added old newspaper smell..is it chemistry or do i just not like this kind of scent...phew!

Cubby
Cubby

I wore this from the late seventies until the mid eighties. I loved it then. Now, it just gives me such nausea and a headache. The review about just using the bath powder sounds tempting. I tried the lotion and it was wonderful. Not as sharp. I have a friend who wears this as her signature, but I think it goes "sour" on her. Just doesn't smell very good. I guess this is one that definitely needs the right chemistry!

steen
steen

This was my mother's scent. Most perfumes give her a headache so her choices are limited. It doesn't inspire any positive thoughts in me, though.

rithacha
rithacha

Perfume names sometimes frustrate me. Take White Linen, for instance. White linens don't *actually* smell like anything other than the remanent of detergent. But the experience of "white linen" in MY head includes the slight heat they radiate, their blinding white contrast to the green grass and the blue sky, the crisp creases of the iron, the summer weather they go with. The experience of white linen is different for each person. And here is Estee Lauder inviting a comparison; their juice to the vision on our heads.

So I'll add to what Zvoncica says: don't buy based on the reviews, and don't buy based on the fragrance name.

For me personally, I didn't get much white linen out of White Linen. I could kind of see what Estee Lauder wanted me to imagine, but I wasn't convinced. The closest comparison in my mind was, "Is No.5 Eau Premiere a flanker of No.5, or this??" Because it was a blast of squeaky-clean aldehydes very reminiscent of Eau Premiere with fewer citruses and a weaker base.

I found White Linen very enjoyable for an aldehyde blast uncomplicated by tricky florals or powdery notes. I like it, but would never wear it, and certainly would never compare it to white linen.

zvoncica
zvoncica

I have read about White Linen from my very first Fragrantica steps. I have searched for it because of the white linen, the fresh and clean clothes resemblance, and because I am a sucker for clean and crisp smells. It was the Holy Grail. And I was a women with the mission.

Our first unexpected encounter happened during late spring going to summer heat day. My brain swiftly gazed through pictures of white sheet hanging in backyard. I mean before I applied the perfume. In the nanosecond White Linen flow through air I thought I heard the blink. It marked start of washing machine for long program on 95 degrees. The centrifuge promptly whirled. Mighty aldehyde rotor knocked me out of my shoes. I felt like Dorothy in the land of Oz.

The street I walked was paved with flowers, gigantic flowers, some of them even seemed as carnivorous plants. The sky was dark from bees. I heard them buzzing and I smelled pouring honey on their furry feet. I was scared. I had a felling hundreds of eyes are starring at me, thinking what the hell stinks in this town. Took me five hours of discomfort burden named White Linen.

Then it happened. The clean sheet were hanging in backyard. Centrifuge whirling stopped.

White Linen is rarest smell I ever experienced. Think I am not ready for it yet. Hope you’re not buying this one solely on reviews.

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

White Linen is beautifully crafted perfume, one of Estee Lauder's best creations.

I love the freshness of the lemon and aldehydes, and the middle notes of hyacinth, rose and lilac are most clear to my nose- although I smell each of the florals in turn as the scent dries down. There is a warmth to the florals in White Linen that leaves me wrist-sniffing for the entire first hour of wear.

The full dry down is honeyed, woody and warm as well as crisp, soapy-clean and powdery. Gorgeous, elegant, and fresh, this perfume could be worn in daytime or at night, and both in winter and in summertime.

My mother began wearing this perfume in 1978, and she still owns a bottle--and wears it--when the mood strikes. White Linen is a classic, a must-have perfume that has lots of nostalgic associations for me. I plan to add a bottle of White Linen to my perfume collection before summer's end.

I am ABSOLUTELY a Lauder women, and this is no exception. A perfect aldehydes, very high quality.

SweetBella
SweetBella

My mother loves this perfume. I, on the other hand, can't stand it. Too strong and pungent for my liking.

kraxa
kraxa

It's funny, because many years ago this was recommended to me in a shop as a gift for my then fiance's mother. I was only about 18, but I loved the perfume so much that I actually kepy it and have worn it until the bottle was finished. I don't think I would go back to this scent now, when I am much older and it should be more "appropriate"- but I've got very fond memories of it, and would definitely recommend trying it to everyone- the freshness is unbeatable, and despite being strong is so much more full of character then EL later compositions like Pleasures for instance.

mocha43
mocha43

I usually have White Linen in my perfume collection. It always smelled fresh and crisp on me and I was complimented when I wore it. I have tried Pure White Linen but it just doesn't have the scent that I could love. Individual chemistry is everything in the perfume smelling game. As is a good nose and ability to sort out notes. Some of us seem to have the nose of a blood hound. I don't, but still enjoy the sniffing game!

The_Entity
The_Entity

alot of people i know cant wear this, but im pleased i can, clean and fresh,i love the warmness in the scent

nyoka
nyoka

this scent is like living in the country with ur sheets drying in the sun.a gentle breeze blows by and u can smell the woods and the wildflowers.miday,as u check on ur linens the violet and jasmine r in full bloom bewitching you.as u take ur sheets down at sunset,the dew kissed oak moss awaits you.clean,beautiful scent that lasts.

deeper_shallow
deeper_shallow

Many people have that one scent they associate with their mothers - well, this is mine! White Linen has been my mom's signature scent for the past 30 years. Whenever I smell it, I see her dressed up for a night out, in a long black silk dress, complete with pearls and diamond rings.
A beautifully classic scent; soft, warm and slightly powdery. I'd never use it myself, but I'll happily buy another bottle for my mom whenever she asks.

smcookie60
smcookie60

I have used White Linen for a long time, it is the most wonderful scent. I have had people stop me in shopping malls asking me what I am wearing.When someone stops you, then you know it is good

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I keep going back to retry this as its such a classic. Indeed, I sniffed it the other day and found myself liking it- I got a real incense blast from it that I hadn't noticed before and I liked it on the strip, too. Will try on skin next time and come to some conclusion. Maybe the fascination/repulsion thing is the best thing about it! Truly unique, and definately challenging.
ok I tried it on skin today and I must say I really liked it. It's more an atmosphere than a fragrance and it's quite uplifting. Smells of floral candle wax after the first blast then dries down to a comfortable musk with a urine edge to it (the honey note). All in all I like this and would buy it if I wasn't so in love with Azuree.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

An old friend of mine used to crack me up with his description of White Linen when he said, "It smells like rich, old, ladies!" Too funny. Well, to me, it smells light, airy, elegant, but heavy and intense at the same time. It reminds me of college. I alternated between this one, Lauren, and Opium. I eventually graduated to Chanel Cristalle and Fracas, but this was one of my favorites for two years. A young man I had one of the most passionate love affairs of my life, absolutely loved this scent. It will forever remind me of him and I still love it.

Paula2
Paula2

I've tried so many modern perfumes (too many) but have come back to this, it is a classic and as long as you don't spray too much it is fresh, individual, clean - but not boring. It brings back many memories and makes me feel good every time I wear it, Definately worth a try.

Taliera
Taliera

It is far more classic than its modern descendants: Pure White Linen, Pure White Linen Light Breeze, Pure White Summer Fun, Pure White Linen Pink Coral, etc... and that is a good thing. It is from a different generation - but still holds true to its style and good composition.

To me (being 23) this perfume is just on the edge of being tolerated. But there is something wildly attractive about it too (the lightness of the aldehydes and florals, perhaps?). It's the kind of perfume that pushes the boundaries of what you like - and there is a certain thrill in deliberately stretching your known preferences. I can imagine if I got it I would not wear it all that often. But for those rare days when you want something daring (to your nose), and it's stinking hot and you need something really refreshing - this scent would be ideal.

The scent starts out very sharp and strong (but strong in a floral not oriental way). It gives the impression of being extremely clean, crisp and fresh. The top notes are pleasant but deterring at the same time. I find the aldehydes (which are in large concentrations) almost too much to bear. Fortunately, after about half an hour, it evolves into something without the high screaming top notes, that is more floral, powdery and very tolerable (to both you and those around you). The full extent of the drydown only improves the scent, I think. Sillage and lasting power are both excellent.

SPOILEDnose
SPOILEDnose

i have a bottle at home, 35ml are still there from 60ml and its an EAU DE PARFUM, the bottle is still very nice, doesnt look "used", was a mistake, i thought its pure white linen, but white linen is much too strong, if u are in europe and u have paypal i give it away for 12 euro + postage extra (for europe not more than 7,50 for insured postage) let me know!

WHITE LINEN (extrait) is indeed aptly named, for it is a burst of crisp, clean white flowers framed and tamed by pristine aldehydes, and a fresh, not overly sharp modicum of green. Hours after applying the perfume, I still feel squeaky clean. This is truly a soapy floral experience that even evokes memories of white dial soap--which for me is a good a thing!

Like other classic floral aldehydes, WHITE LINEN should be applied sparingly and savored for its conferral upon the wearer of an astonishing degree of lucidity. There can be no doubt that WHITE LINEN participates in the Platonic Form of Perfume and may even bring us closer to enlightenment: the Form of the Good.

When you find yourself surrounded by dirty, corrupt trogloydytes, just reach for WHITE LINEN and your perspective will surely change.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This scent is as the name implies-LINEN smelling to the very best of my description. Most will agree they pretty much matched this one rather close to what linen smells like after being laundered. Este is awsome anyway!!!!!!!

krishka
krishka

I have tried this one and all the new versions and i should say that this is the best one of them by far.
Complex, classy and long lasting.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Vile, not fresh-I deleted my negative review of "Pure White Linen", as I was actually reviewing this....

This is mean, not green, aldehyde-machine. Maybe it smells nice on somebody, but applying this on my wrist and bringing my nose too close takes me back to the days when I wrote off all perfume as synthetic, powdery, sharp stuff. Back before I discovered scents I like, I smelled a note I smell in this far too often when I smelled women's perfumes......I think I might like Beautiful more, and I don't like Beautiful at all.

redhairlady
redhairlady

I have been wearing White Linen since it first came out. Do not like the newer versions of it. This is my signature perfume. I receive compliments from friends and strangers, especially men how clean I smell. I'm trying other perfumes but this smells the best on me so far.

nicesmell66
nicesmell66

This is my one perfume that gives me a headache guaranteed.It is so strong and owerpowering!

raleigh
raleigh

i didn't try white linen until the mid 90's although it came out in the seventies. It suited me then, with a fresh, almost sharp edge. Now it is a memory fragrance. I haven't had any white linen for a while, and am thinking i might want to keep it in the mix. It still expresses a part of me!

amelie

Hardly anyone will be indifferent,fragrance that will delight you or will even be repulsive.
Eternal classic for me, without which I can hardly imagine my collection. Works well with my body chemistry,so fresh, clean, feminine and has a wide aura. Not the kind of scent for love at first sight, but once you get used,every day reveals something new, catch a fragrant note that you really like and attracts more and more. So fresh and tempting, very original and very retro, it could be a perfume from the 19.century, but also exciting in the 21st century. Beautiful scents with aldehydes, which many people consider old-fashioned.
Strange that I wear it frequently when I wear trousers, it seems that this is a perfume for emancipated women, although I do not like that phrase, but somehow the liberal, without the seductive pleasantness, or cheap coquetry. Often inspires me when I go to a meeting that is important to me, the less I use it in the evening by going out.
And I agree that maybe acts strongly, but this is only an illusion, in fact it's full of tenderness. The scent of woman who knows who she is and where to go, fragile and firm at the same time, freed from prejudices.
White Linen could appeal to those looking for Chanel No.5 because it really has that same feminine note that hides behind a clean, soapy topnotes with aldehydes, when overcome initial sharpness perfume reveals its femininity.

capless
capless

One of the few Estee Lauder scents I rather like. There is just something clean and crisp about it (perfect name). It can seem sharp at first but than it seems to balance itself. It's a unique scent that is best worn sparingly. Super long-lasting.

karenlsinging
karenlsinging

I use it now and again but very sparingly as it gives me a headache. I used to work with someone who must have drenched herself in it every day and I couldn't bear to be near her. Same headache I get from hyacinths when they are in a bowl in the same room as me!

abigailmarie
abigailmarie

My great aunt wore this since it came out in the 70s, it was her signature scent. It smelled so good on her. She passed away 3 years ago and I bought a bottle to remember her by. It smells just like her. I don't wear this one often, just when I feeling sentimental or homesick. It is kind of an "old lady" fragrance, but still nice!

Malegria
Malegria

I remember being very young girl of 13 meeting a lady of 22 in a little lobby of one of the TV stations in Moscow.I tried to look and act older, and I easily held the conversation without my vis-a-vis suspecting my real age.
I noticed a strange but irresistible scent of this young lady`s perfume - fresh yet sweet, with a hint of honeycombs.Still playing into my "adult" side, I tried to casually ask her about her perfume. She was very nice, told me it was White Linen and even showed me a little mini bottle she had in her elegant purse.But shortly after my question she looked at me and asked - may I ask your age?
Later when we became friendly, she told me that I had an absolute childish tone of voice when I asked about the name of her scent. I was so afraid that she will leave and I will never, ever know the name of it it must have reflected on my voice!
(I too have a scent I long to know again, but unfortunately I did not ask the name of it and it`s been haunting me for almost 20 years now!!!)
I still like it and consider it to be one of the best scents made by EL.It is a little bit harsh in the beginning, but later it develops into a beautiful youthful scent.You won`t regret knowing it.

Vivi
Vivi

I have this & used to love it, but my husband complains about it. He does like one of the newer versions of White Linen, but not the one I liked. I can't remember which is which anymore, so I just went a different way now.

MinogueParfums
MinogueParfums

My Mom has this, and when she wears it, it gives me headaches.

LauraM
LauraM

My mother's fave. I like it too. Very fresh.

Philyra
Philyra

I can see why this one became a success at the end of the 70's. Sophia Grojsman remains faithfull to the rose that should reappear in some of her best creations. A lasting, warm perfume, perfect for the winter. However, I do find it a bit old fashioned for my taste.

Stacey923
Stacey923

I received this in a large gift set for my high school graduation. It is a scent you typically associate with older ladies;classy,refined,ladies. It brings back memories of very loved aunts and my grandmother who has passed. This is a beautiful,soft,warm scent.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

I only wear the bath powder and I really love the fresh smell. It reminds me of hanging out clothes on the line. I love the texture & silkiness of the bath powder. I think the perfume to would be a bit too mature for me, but- my grandmother uses this EDT regularly and this scent is just heavenly on her. Absolutely fabulous on the right lady.

White Linen by Estée Lauder 3.34 out of 5 based on 1009 ratings and 167 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder White Linen fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder White Linen, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify White Linen by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of White Linen by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.