Designers » D E » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women

Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women
dislike

I have it: 822 I had it: 442 I want it: 284 My signature: 19

Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures Youth-Dew Estée Lauder for women Pictures

Youth-Dew by Estée Lauder is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Youth-Dew was launched in 1953. The nose behind this fragrance is Josephine Catapano. Top notes are aldehydes, orange, spices, peach, bergamot, narcissus and lavender; middle notes are cinnamon, cassia, orchid, jasmine, cloves, ylang-ylang, rose, lily-of-the-valley and spicy notes; base notes are tolu balsam, peru balsam, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver and incense.

Aldehydes Orange Spices Peach Bergamot Narcissus Lavender

Cinnamon Cassia Orchid Jasmine Cloves Ylang-Ylang Rose Lily-of-the-Valley Spicy Notes

Tolu Balsam Peru Balsam Amber Patchouli Musk Vanilla Oakmoss Vetiver Incense

Cinnabar
Papagayo
Youth-Dew Amber Nude

Youth-Dew Fragrance Reviews

myrna_minkoff
myrna_minkoff

I have found the ultimate way to wear this powerhouse: ONE spritz on the décolletage -- underneath one's clothes -- yields nothing but clean vetiver and sweet, elegant myrrh.

Do not use more than one spritz, and do not spritz pulse points (!!). This magic potion is too overwhelming for such a generic application, and it loses all its incredible appeal when sprayed with a heavy hand.

Msgreenpebble
Msgreenpebble

Youth Dew old and new...Trying the two formulations side by side, new (purchased early 2014) and the previous itineration (2008) reveals two perfumes obviously related but now changed completely in character.

Pre-reformulation: this is the darkly romantic yet soft "pearls and fur" perfume. It is the smell of a grandmothers touch and a mothers love. Strange on first spraying (closed and dusty), it melts into the skin and the gorgeous floral facets, most notably the narcissus, bloom. Slowly an incense starts to curl as it develops further. It is long lasting but fades softly over the span of its wear, remaining slightly gothic but very feminine and wistful. A scent to wear for romance, memory and drinks by the fire. This is my mothers perfume.

New formulation: for me this is no longer similar enough to trigger the scent memory of the "Youth Dews" that had come before while however being identifiably "Youth Dew". It is now surprisingly tough and urban. A softer opening quickly evolves into a very Coca Cola fizz, without the lush florals to anchor the scent. The piercing narcissus is lamentably missing, as is the incense. Instead however this is now primarily a leather scent (and perhaps a very good one), feminine yet tough, old and new. Across the dry down a slight metallic clang leaps out like new money in the mouth and this lasts and lasts. It does not fade quietly.

After the initial shock of the reformulation I have actually found myself reaching for this, it is Pam in True Blood, feminine in leather. It IS a good perfume (however perhaps a simpler and cheaper formula?), however the thought of this 'new' perfume replacing the far superior previous formulation breaks my heart.

evelynave
evelynave

My answer to Youth Dew is always yes. Yes to the bath oil, yes to most of the formulations new and old (though I prefer old), yes to the cologne, and yes especially to the body cream, which is one of the best buys ever and radiates Yes plus Yes for hours. Youth Dew is famously too this or that for its detractors, whose need to share is a reminder to me how much this fragrance has to say, and how strongly and succinctly it says it. Far lesser fragrances have come and gone without much love or hate either way. Some people like them, vocally, and some don't, silently, and off they go, forgotten by all but a handful. Youth Dew is iconic and enduring, and I've loved it ever since I smelled it on my aunt's dresser as a kid.

Soie
Soie

A beautiful fragrance.

Oh, I am well aware that there are many out there who have an active dislike of Youth Dew, but it does not stop me from liking it and, on occasian, wearing a spritz of it.

My first time becoming aware of Youth Dew was at age 20 when a friend made a gift to me of the bath oil version of the fragrance. Upon taking a first sniff of it, the "Old Lady" pejorative, so popular these days, did not come to mind (I don't know that it was even in use back then), but the thought that Youth Dew is probably better suited to a sophisticated, older woman rather than to my not-particularly-sophisticated 20 year old self definitely did come to mind.

I gave it a try anyway ... and have made sure to keep a flacon of it ever since.

capitolio23
capitolio23

THENSK ESTEE LAUDER BEST ORIENTAL PARFUME EVER .. VERY SEDUCTIVE MAN IN WOUMAN RICHE..SWIET .WARME.It's like being in hot sand MIDNIGHT.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

YD was one of my first passions in perfume. I had a tiny bottle of EDP lasted me for years in the 80s. I have not had it for years now although I do have YD amber nude which is gorgeous. Anyway, today for the first time in many years I sprayed the EDP in a store. What have they done to this! Better they had killed it than reduced it to this synthetic travesty of its former splendour. Now I understand the comments in the reviews about coca cola and old lady powder. And the unbelievably large amount of dislikes. It is horrible. I would not give a fiver for it in a drugstore.
I am so sorry for younger people who have never smelled the original. It was the richest, most beautiful thing. There is nothing else like it. I sometimes think I should give up on perfumes. Just synthetic mess that makes my skin burn and my throat and nose itch and still they charge the same for them as when they were full of precious treasure like Mysore Sandalwood, oak moss etc. Only Guerlain seem capable of making reformulations that retain some of their previous glory. So sad. SO sad.

brt
brt

I got a bottle of the Youth Dew Bath Oil and was very happy when I dabbed a bit on. Pine needles, cinnamon, clove and a beauty that you don't find in many fragrances today. I love the fragrance for itself but it also brought back happy memories of my favorite aunt and her daughter who used this in the sixties and seventies. I particularly remember the solid perfume compacts they had from which I sampled my first YD. "Wow," I thought remembering how wonderful it was, "I can't wait to get the EDP!"

Well, I made my move yesterday and I sprayed it on my arm before I bought it and luckily so. The top notes lacked the warmth the bath oil has. It took the EDP about an hour to reach the 'I love it' level and even then it still retained a harsher edge than the oil. The bath oil has become one of my husband's top three scents on me. I can't say I won't ever buy the EDP but I much, much prefer the beauty of the bath oil. This one will still stand as a classic when many of the others have long since faded.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The lady from Shangai. A feminine powerhouse, resinous, spicy, with pungent clove notes, luscious intoxicating flower accords of rose and narcissus. Dark, sensual base of patchouli, amber, vetiver. Deeply balsamic, even with a hint of menthol if you inspire it with strength. Slightly cloying camphor feel – the aldehydes. Exotic, shady, dense, animalic, even slightly indolic at first. Even its appearance is just great – brown, sticky, dense like a narcotic liquor. After a while it naturally sweetens and lightens a bit, and you get the same scent just brighter with a more aromatic/poudrée/vanillin feel. Not for everyone – and perhaps, even if still gorgeous, just a bit outdated.

aisten
aisten

it smells for me like a coca-cola extract :) Maybe there was an idea to create a fragrance similar to the most popular dring in the US at that time? :) Just guessing

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

This is warm and spicy. My aunt has it and wears it very often, it's her signature fragrance in my view. I wouldn't wear it, but would buy anytime for my dear aunt

Talencia
Talencia

Always reminds me of a male friend who used the bath oil then layered with patchouli. He smelled so good. Sometimes I wear it that way myself.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Bought this as a gift for a lady 86, who deemed it dated, which I found funny, I liked it though, it's very heavy and oriental. We did discover though that it gets ink off leather.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

If you don't like big, foxy orientals, stop reading now.

But if you do...this is a lady of a certain age who has left a loveless marriage and is ecstatic to find that she is as sensually alive now as she was when she was twenty. You'll want to kiss the wearer on both cheeks and take her out for a night on the town to celebrate her good luck.

Jemima Doll
Jemima Doll

A classic scent that is sophisticated and clean smelling, though I also find it a bit heavy. Used to think it was really posh when my lovely Nan put it on when I was a little girl x Wouldn't buy it for myself, but have had it as a gift.

jake.shouse

I love this perfume I use both the clear bottle and blue vintage bottle 2 different smells prefer the blue bottle but love both... Also love Cinnabar.

kerry6854
kerry6854

i cant stand the perfume on first spraying it, but when settled its the my all time favourite!!!!! im not a fan of lily of the valley, and can leave ylang ylang but they lift after 5 mins leaving an amazing perfume. so if you want to try it you must give it time and sample it on the skin

moonprismpower
moonprismpower

Reminds me of the inside of a vintage purse (in a good way) or an ancient tomb. Contrary to its name, not particularly youthful at all. Dry, dusty, dark, and old. This is very earthy, not very sweet, rather masculine. Opium's ancestor. I could see this working well on a man.

russian.red
russian.red

one of the most strange perfumes i have ever sniffed..one second i LOVE it and the next one i hate it..but mostly love it.It remindes me of my chilodhood,since my mom used to wear it but this is not the only reason that i love it. I have a very strange relationship with this one that i cannot explain easily.. It is worth the try nevertheless

ask247
ask247

My Mother rest her soul wore this perfume. Well, she isn't dead, she just smells like it when wearing Youth Dew!! This perfume is so strong and overpowering, to me it smells like body odor. I have smelled it on other people and it still makes me cringe. Mom gets a good laugh out of the fact I don't like her perfume and as a teen she always told me my perfume... now don't get all (pardon the pun)sentimental for my Mom...cause she always told me mine smelled like cat pee!
All kidding aside, Mom knows how I feel about Youth PEW and no one in my family likes it except her. My younger sis, my two daughters and my older sis who said, "well, it just smells like Mom." I told that to my sweet, 75 year old Mother and she just giggled and said, "that doesn't sound good does it."
So I went on a mission to find her (and me) a new perfume and bless her soul she was so excepting of it and has enjoyed trying the many samples I've brought her and I'm proud to say we've found several that she and the rest of us girls like.
We went to go shopping the other day and she smelled heavenly. D&G Light Blue smells wonderful on her and I told her I was jealous she smelled better than me, lol.
So long story short, to those who can pull Youth Dew off (or think they can pull it off) best of luck to you. As a family, we are putting Youth Dew to rest in a shallow grave in the back yard and as for Mom, she has now become my new favorite person to hug, YEA!!!

bonnie52
bonnie52

This is a very nostalgic perfume for me. Whenever I smell it I think of my mother, who passed away 10 years ago. She used to have a locket with solid form Youth Dew in it when I was a child and she would let me put some on when she wore it. She also wore Tabu and Chanel No 5. All 3 of these take me back in time. I think that's why I like them all so much.

UPDATE I bought a vintage bottle from EBAY since I was reading posts that they have changed the scent. Oh boy, it smelled rancid. Beware when buying vintage scents…there's no way to tell how it was stored. I think this one wasn't taken care of. Now have the hassle of returning it : (

wildwitch67
wildwitch67

No, I don't like this. Very overpowering & sickly. My nan (god rest her) used to wear this & give everyone a headache!

kittyh30
kittyh30

I can't seem to like this one. I love Estee Lauder Cinnibar, and I love Opium- can't get enough of the spicy orientals... this- smells like bandaids and patchouli to me. and I love patchouli. not sure what it is about this but just can't do it

Top notes was :

aldehydes, orange, spices, peach, bergamot, narcissus and lavender

Middle notes was :

Middle Notes are :

Jasmine, Muguet,Spices

Base Notes are :

Moss, Vetiver, Patchouli

You don't feel the difference ? it became completely different and ugly !

It was my favorite pefume before this awful reformulation...

When you change the fragrance, you could change the name also !

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

This one has a dislike attached to it as my sister in law would literally douse herself in it during the 90's. As she is not well liked, it did not bode well as a perfume for me to try or even use. However in light of reformulation, I thought I would give it a whirl. Very soft now, not the loud, shouting, show off it once was, and even impressive enough to try on my skin. It has certainly lost its longevity and sillage, and reminds me of a somewhat refined version of Tabu. The sample card remains scented with spice after 2 days.

However due to the association, my husband did not want anything to do with it, even though he initially liked it on my skin.

In its defence, I would say this is one reformulation that would give Youth Dew a chance in the modern world.

Sherihan

Smells devinely beautiful, orchestra played by professional musicians. But I can say it is oriental,warm. My bath oil version smells as the old YD,the one I tried like 10 years ago. As soon as I took it from the post office,I dabbed som on my arms and behind ears, a soft wave from my early childhood arrived and I felt relaxed when it was hot and sunny while I'm driving in a rush hour,noon. At first I thought it wasn't strong enough,and it smelt very gentle, but after exactly 10 minutes,and my arms were literally exposed to the direct sun, the smell enveloped me with a vintage magic, especially when I went from the post office directly to the bank, and it was air conditioned and cool, so my sense of smell changed a little and I felt like I was wearing an edp of the YD, not som drops of the oil. In general, I love it, the only downside is the bottle I ordered from EL website was only 60ml, a tiny small bottle, but it looks so beautiful as I'm a big fan of small size bottles originally.
Strange,as I don't detect any of the notes listed here as top-middle-base, no one single thing stand out to me at all.

zalc
zalc

Wow I love this, just love it. Its definitely got that classic feel to it which I really like. When I first tried this the notes that stood out straight away where patchouli and ylang ylang and I asked the assistant if those notes where listed and when she told me that ylang ylang wasn't I was really confused and a little bit disappointed in my nose as its a note that I really love and am really familiar with. I just noticed the ylang ylang listed here!! I knew I could smell it, nothing wrong with my nose :), This dries down to something that reminds me of coca cola on my skin, with spices.....like a morgans spiced rum with coke lol and patchouli, woods and floral notes are all definitely present too. It has a kind of vintage feel to it aswel that I really like. This lasts the whole day on my skin and even longer on clothes, the bottle is lovely too.

oh.........and enough of all this 'old lady' perfume nonsense, there is no such thing as an old lady fragrance, im 30 and have been wearing this for 3 years.

Sherihan

My version is Bath Oil (the real deal), it's on its way to me, and a review will be posted soon.

AUNZBOX
AUNZBOX

Dear Estee Lauder,

Please do not discontinue and change the formula for this fragrance: I Love! Love Youth Dew: The perfume of Art and few of them still remain on the market nowadays. It smells very rich, natural complex and good composition. Remind me of the lost of love :Vintage Opium (discontinued)

I wear it on winter, before bedtime for having a sweet dream.

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

Nice spicy incense fragrance from a great house. Youth dew is strong, Confident and careless... It does what it does best and that's being Youth Dew... The Hot, Dark and mysterious fragrance. She doesn't care about what others think of her, she is free and she wants to have a good time regardless of what time it is... She is kind of arrogant and selfish but she has the right to be! Her sophistication shows, her determination is brilliant and her sexiness is unmatched.

novembertea
novembertea

When I worked at a cosmetics counter, I was right next to the Estee counter. One of the girls and I were talking about the Estee perfumes as I was trying them all out, and she says "whatever you do stay away from Youth Dew!". And... she was right. OOF. Really packs a heavy punch. I don't get any pleasant notes from this fragrance.

craftymom
craftymom

My grandmother wore this in the 1970s. She was an elegant woman who wore earrings, bracelets, red lipstick and fur collars on her suitcoats. To me she was beautiful. She was a refined patron of the arts. She took fabulous vacations and lived life fully.

This is not something I wear in public. I usually use the bath oil in a nice hot bath. It perfumes the whole room in a rich balsamy cinnamony floral scent. Once in a while, I dab a bit on my wrist after my bath and I'm enchanted. It's cola and balsam and spicy and smoky. It's a comfort smell to me. I can see where the hate comes from because it will singe the nose hairs of everyone around you if you wear to much and we've all been around someone who has done that.

caitlinsgarden
caitlinsgarden

Pleasant spicy fragrance. I spell cloves which I love. Similar to Opium, but without the harsh opening notes.
I am wondering what the difference in smell would be comparatively - old noses vs young? As I get older my sense of smell seems somewhat diminished. Perhaps I love scents that smell too strong to younger noses? Regardless, I like this one a lot.

Tine1world
Tine1world

My mother has all of those ones listed as similarities?

This is her least used but absolute favourite. Always her prized possession amongst her fragrances and she well, if it's not expensive then it's not ever allowed to sit amongst her collection. It's sort of given away surrupticiously, like sly grog to an ignorant family member, like charity.

Cinnamon. Just like the aroma of ground cinnamon on semolina porridge. They are her memories, they are her preferences. Youth Dew will always, just by looking at that flask, remind me of her.

Ps I've never ever tired it on myself.

Cheers T.

SummerMelody
SummerMelody

Youth Dew's cola note is so addictive! I just can't get enough. It layers wonderfully with other fragrances to make it more modern when you want a twist. I love the bath oil most because it bypasses some of the early, bitter top notes. What can I say, I've finally committed to a favorite!

zzMaja
zzMaja

Behold ! Be brave young woman! This is not for the faint of heart. A great scent that I used to wear when I was a top notch, fearless career woman. Today I cannot wear it. It is just too powerful for me at this time and space in my life. It can be a bit offensive if you pile it on. That being said, if worn sparingly and on the right person for special occasions, it is beautiful.

GinsTheThing
GinsTheThing

Not for the faint-hearted, this one. From the spritz to 1st hour I have the same issue with YD as I do with Mitsouko - a blood smell that I find hard to bear. Once that's passed I get lovely spice and powder. All good for me but......golly, I feel it's a trial to get there ! Anybody out there explain the ingredients that create the 'blood' taint ? Can't just be me !

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

I do enjoy wearing this if I apply it very very sparingly.. I use a Q=tip and barely touch it to my skin in 2 or 3 spots.

I love loud, strong orientals and I really love spicy & incense scents and this is all that. But it can easily come off as just too much even for me. too much aldehyde, too much oakmoss, too much balsam. It really can attack your sinuses.

I have to be in the right mood during the right time of the year (the colder the better) but at that time I love wearing this classic.

arlina1
arlina1

This may be the worst perfume on the planet. As another reviewer said if someone hugs you that is wearing it you can't get away from it. It is like oil. Speaking of oil it smells like dirty oily hair of a heavy pipe smoking old woman.

This is one of those you either love or hate. If I never smelled it again it would be too soon.

Contessa01
Contessa01

This is not an old lady scent at all. To me it is like beautiful by estee lauder once the initai blast wears off. A very strong floral and I love it. Pure feminiity

CBT
CBT

Warm, spicy, rich and sweet. I can see why some people think of Youth Dew as an "old lady" scent - it's vintage and it smells it. It's a classic powerbitch oriental VERY similar to Opium, with less emphasis on the white floral and fruity elements. Youth Dew might be a cliche on an older woman with long red talons, but can also be incredibly sensual and cozy - when I tried this on, I spent the entire rest of my day sniffing my self. I feel like it would go extremely well with furs. Be warned, both the sillage and longevity are humungous.

MommyMaudlin
MommyMaudlin

I say this with all the love in the world: Horrific. Man-repeller in a bottle. Or at least that's the way I thought of it my entire childhood when invariably an aunt or churchlady would hug you while wearing this. From that point on you could smell it on your clothes and skin for the rest of the day or night. It made you hate yourself to smell like something so obnoxious and overwhelming. Since then I've softened a little, but not much. I love orientals, but this? There is no place to wear it. Not in modern society.

Don't even THINK about wearing this to work. The cloying sweetness. It is just too much. Of every single thing. It is the most polarizing fragrance in the history of fragrance. (And I lived through the Giorgio era!) If you wear this - yes, people ask what you're wearing. Don't necessarily take it as a compliment.

Someone below said of this fragrance simply "YUCK!" I have to let you know - this is what 90% of people will think who come in contact with you while you are wearing this.

Now I know every poison has its victim, and I know there are some ultra bold ladies out there who could pull this off. So, listen. If you love a challenge, if you wear fragrance for you and you alone, if "historical significance" is a major draw, this might be for you!

caljaun
caljaun

love this
The first deep in hail puts me in mind of a long drink of coke and a double measure of Southern Comfort

SolangeN

The husband has an ollld bottle of the pointy top ceramic bottle Old Spice used to come in in the '80s. Just a little bit left in the bottom.

Sniffed it out of curiosity a while back and lo and behold...it's so close to Youth Dew it could have been a dupe. Or vice versa.

HOTBODYZZZ
HOTBODYZZZ

This is the first time ive smelt this perfume, i love the smell its strong i like strong perfumes.I also like opium,i think youth dew smells alot like heaven sent because of the oakmoss.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

How I love Estee. Such beautiful fragrances from one house. except this. Too much of everything in this one. Overpowering, sickly sweet. this reminds me of cinnabar (but worse) and Spark (but worse). It doesn't remind me of Opium. Opium is very strong, they have that in common. But Opium, is nowhere near this sweet. I actually tend to like/love Opium some days.

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

Ive loved this perfume for many years. Its warm on my skin and just exudes being loved and hugged. I am the only member of my family who likes it and on whom it smells just right. I does need " topping up" every few hours as it wont last a full day with one spray, however it hangs in the air beautifully and i have had friends comment on the scent days after when they visit my home.
It is sharp when first sprayed, but settles down quickly to a wonderful blend of the exotic. It finishes with a warm powdery signature and does not assault the senses. I've loved it for 30 years and still love it.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

Naysayers know nothing of great perfume, or of its history. YOUTH-DEW is an amazing spicy balsamic, with rich, powerful Oriental basenotes.

Warm and sensual and captivating. It does smell mature, but that's its strength, as it contains classic essences used much more in Midcentury than today: myrrh, frankincense, civet, balsam tolu, rose, oakmoss, jonquil, orchid, indoles, maybe even a soupcon of cigarette smoke. All the EO's in YOUTH-DEW smell authentic, not synthetic at all, and today, that's saying something.

Patchouly, oakmoss and lime-peel add a dusky-sharpness to the cinnamon/clove/allspice/tolu/black pepper mix. Intelligent, stately, bold, sexy. What is made shiny-linear, metallic in OPIUM is here presented full-force, in a round, low-pitched, concentrated boldness that means business. The heady, bulb-flower floralcy peers above the spicy, sappy-balsam-incense conglomerate, adding a chic radiance. Benzoin and vanilla confer a subtle sweetness to YOUTH-DEW's sultry statement; musks add their jungley purr.

Wallflowers need not apply: There are many women today who, wishing to eschew modern fruity/cutesy/faux numbers, could rawk YOUTH-DEW. It has a glam, yet 1950's pussycat-sexy quality to it, teetering upon camp (Hey, whoever gave camp a bad name? Women, you know that, in life, you have to pull out all the stops to make an impression!) that modern lovers of things-retro will adore. Picture Ginger from GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, Pat Neal in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, Suzy Parker in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, Phyllis McGuire in cheetah-skin at Miami's FONTAINEBLEAU, or a back-combed Ann-Margret shaking her moneymaker. It's a SHAG painting come to life.

It may be the greatest spicy of the 20thc, at least there in the Top Five, along with L'ORIGAN, OLD SPICE, OPIUM, MITSOUKO. When a fragrance endures THIS long, you bet it has something.

You younger women out there, and men, try it and make it new again as a va-va-voom bombshell, nightclub number. It's probably more at home between-the-sheets than in the office. Sometimes MORE is more. You sex goddesses out there: YOUTH-DEW was the preferred fragrance of Mrs. Wallis "Chinese methods" Simpson; it nailed her a Prince. Wink, wink, say no more.

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

This is a memory scent for me. My grandma wore it, and I thought the bottle was the prettiest thing that existed. On me the edt is like bug spray. But the bath oil (which was Estee's original intent - a fragrance that is not a fragrance!) is very nice. I don't wear it often, but just a little on a cotton ball before bed is quite nice.

Stragely Opium Works Well With My Chemestry I Love It, Youth Dew Is Pe-U

Debra1

I'm Usually a Fan of Dark Musky Sents, but This Oriental Over Does it!!!I hoped for a dark but sweet sent to remind me of it's name, it had some little bit of sweet in it, but it was so heavy smoky and dark, with balsm oak moss and Ivy, there was not much ballance of light with dark, too airy sents disappear but this one was too heavy and dark to be plesent, How ever it was not as bad as Halston Classic, whos mint and synthtic notes and dark heavy mosses over powered andy softer sents, I think that had Ivy in it too, that sents just weird. This was a bit more feminine then the ultra Macho Halston for Women. However A Youth Person particurly a female would not wear this, I'm sure Gradma wouldn't either, to dark and heavy, It's not that I hate all Green Note Sents Love Emrode by Cody but That Sent is in Propper Ballance, with Enough Softer Sweeter Smells, This is not

alt2073
alt2073

I have owned everything from Stetson to Creed and today, I decided to try something I have always wanted to try...buying Youth Dew by Estee Lauder. I am not overtly feminine at all, but it is just a fact that I am a (what the old folks called) a "Confirmed Bachelor". ;-)

So I spritzed a small amount on my hand and wore it for about 1/2 hour. My chemistry is highly acidic, so that was plenty of time and with myself, some scents are great and some smell like I rolled in a dead animal with a dog! So I came back and the same lady smelled it on me and her eyes got big and she ran around the corner and got an older lady who was a Lauder rep (and remember...this is not high ticket item, so it wasn't a play for money) and the older lady said "That is incredible! It just likes you! That doesn't happen with all people!" I guess some people cannot wear it at all...as I know from my own experience with some fragrances.

So...I think this should be suggested as a possible unisex scent for people with the right body chemistry for it, of course. And hours later, it is still nicely potent and smells fantastic!

My biggest point in all of this is not to let society's "hang-ups" dictate your choices in these and other matters that are not going to harm a single soul. Try what you want to try! I am SO GLAD I did! And thanks to Estee Lauder for such an amazing product! TWO Thumbs Up!

Andrew Lee.

Boston2013

I bought a bottle of this blind last March because I read time and time again how it is a classic, perfume, masterpiece. Alas, the purchase was the worst mistake I ever made because while pretty, at first, the scent took a downward spiral into HEINOUS in the dry down.

Two hours later, I smelled amazingly, remarkably and irrevocably - and for the next 24HOURS - like dog poo.

I smelled so bad, I could have killed myself! Showered TWICE and still could not scrub off the foul smell!

Then something fascinating happened: Just as I was about to throw it away, my mother and sister-in-law stopped by for coffee. I told them of my "harrowing" Youth Dew experience :) LOL and they asked to smell it.

From the bottle, it just smells like woods and incense.

Then they both tried it on and something utterly remarkable happened: They both smelled absolutely beautiful. I made them wait two hours over more coffee - and laughter!! - because I was sure they'd both smell like a dead squirrel "any second now".. but they never did. :) They smelled of a thousand types of precious woods and incense. It's a "bad *ss" fragrance, but it's beautiful, "bad *ss.

They fought like crazy over who was going to get it, but my mother, being the old, italian brute that she is, won the battle. ROARING LOL!!

So the point is this: Youth Dew is a beautiful masterpiece, but it depends on your skin chemistry. If the scent "likes you", you will smell utterly divine and it does live up to it's reputation. But if it does not like your skin chemistry, you will smell like a "dog poo masterpiece" - LOL and :) again - for forever and ever and ever and ever because the silage on this one is just plain AWE INSPIRING!

GoodVibrations

BATH OIL - MEN, use an eye dropper to drop ONE drop on the chest. If needed, just rub with forearm to absorb. Then spray Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo (also produced by Estée Lauder) as a mist over the areas that got the tiny amount of YD Bath Oil. This adds depth to the subtle wonderfulness of the Tuscany. Both stay under control if you don't overdo it, and it smells masculine. And NO ONE will guess what you've done.

MikaylaCrosby
MikaylaCrosby

My mom wore this growing up. I never thought it smelled good. It is soooo sweet and cloying and gross. It is overwhelming and not sexy at all. It doesn't smell young at all either so the name is quite ironic.

Reformulation:

Terrible dissappointment, another classic has gone forever.
I don't know what to say, I am sick of not being able to find anything which is WORTH to buy when I visit a department store or perfumery.
If you love Opium, if you love Youth Dew and the like, you are only a marginalized perfume enthusiast with quite different tastes from everyone else.
Almost everything sold is aimed at them and we are nothing.
Instead of massacring a beautiful fragrance, totally discontinuing it is a better idea to consider. Because everyone doesn't buy Youth Dew, I don't, we don't. Companies must get this right.

Nuitdenoel
Nuitdenoel

Youth Dew is such a polarizing fragrance, as others have noted, but I love it. I'm only 35, and, yes, my grandmother did wear this...but, my Nanny had exquisite taste. I wear it all the time, it is second in my fragrance tastes only to Clinique's Aromatics Elixir.

I have the body lotion and layer the perfume. I could swim in this, but since it can be so strong, I spritz some into the air and walk through the mist. It lasts for a very long time, all incense-y and a little sweet to my nose.

YD does not smell antiquated to me, at all. It is warm, spicy and sweet. If anything, for me, it evokes the holidays and all good things as a scent memory, but it's more than that. I just love the scent.

I guess this wasn't really a review, as such, because others have given such wonderful reviews. As I have said, the world would be a terrible place if we all had the same tastes!

ForrealMe2

Youth Dew is nothing but amazing..i consider it the coca-cola perfume because it really does smell and sorta look like one...but i love it's richness and spiciness...and the price is amazing and this has one of the best performances for the price...i personally don't know why its not sold for more being it is a powerhouse fragrance..but then again loud classic fragrances can really scare some away..but not me..i yearn for such fragrances like these again...which is seldom in between in quality and price..I am so happy that even in times like these you can still find classics like this that are affordable and have not been touched far enough to destroy it as alot of these popular houses are doing with their reformulations..

Boston2013

I wish I had a detestable enough word to describe how bad this perfume smells on me.

Like death. Like Decay. Like animal poo.

It's a terrible "thing" in a bottle - with a bow.

I bought it blind because someone said it smelled like "The Holidays." Having never smelled it before, I gave it a try and, strangely enough, the initial scent is different, but almost pretty. Very "womanly." It did not bring to mind images of the Holidays, but I understood how, on some women, it would work very well.

Spicy, sweet, full bodied and full of "umph."

Then, the dry down came and I detected a full note, in all it's glory, of moose poo.
And it's the last and final note as this stuff is a silage MONSTER, so I smelled like moose poo for TWO WHOLE DAYS EVEN THOUGH I SHOWERED THREE TIMES!! LOL

Then, my mother visited me and for a chuckle, I told her the story and said how I planned to throw out the offending bottle when she tried it and guess what?

It smelled DIVINE on her. I can't believe how good she smelled! She stayed for a while, long enough to get past the "moose poo" stage on me, so it actually worked for her. What Youth Dew smells like when it works with your chemistry is a million "woods" deep with spunky amber and sweetness. Neither she, nor me, or my sister in law could stop smelling her wrist.

So beware. Youth Dew is a beloved friend to some people and a dreaded bringer of horse dung to others.

nyalta77
nyalta77

I was surprised when I saw Ivyheel mention that she had been gifted Angel when she was 11, that is until, I remembered very clearly that I had been given a bottle of Youth Dew at the tender age of 12...
My mum had been given a full 75ml bottle from her boss, she had more perfume than she could want ( obviously she wasn't a collector ), and my mum didn't like the scent very much, so she asked me if I wanted it, I said yes. Why? I liked the bottle, the gold lid and ribbon, the dark rum coloured juice, gorgeous, the pretty blue/green box.
I cringe when I think of how I abused and mistreated a " vintage classic". I used to pour it on, I just wanted to get rid of it without going as far as, gulp, throwing it out... It was the early 90's so the fragrance was the original formula. I didn't like it much, I thought it was too "old ladyish"...
I couldn't have been more wrong about anything in my life. Over the years of perfume study, I have gained the sense and ability to recognise when a scent is a true "masterpiece".
Perfumes today lack the substance and vivaciousness of the classics. If only I could go back in time...:(
I usually got compliments from parents too, which furthered my disdain for the perfume...
Incredible sillage and longevity. Ravishing and intoxicating, for me. For each their own experience but there can be no denying that Youth Dew (original) deserves a well earned place in Perfume Royalty.

patriciaenola
patriciaenola

Sadly my predecessor wore it - it made my husband sick to remember its over lavish use - I have never liked it and when getting a whiff of it in an elevator - I had to get out before my floor I felt so sick - My husband made me promise never to use the stuff - I kept the promise for ever

SayakaP
SayakaP

YD is one of the most interesting frags.

On your skin, it's thoroughly Incense. Deep, powerful Sandalwood one.
But from distance, it's totally different. Clean, quiet... If serenity has a smell, this should be it.

I don't know any other fragrance behave like this.
Two totally different tone of the scents go together. Which you perceive is depend on the distance between you and the spot the frag sprayed.

Like other reviewers, I've been laughing at the name & packaging.
Youth Dew.... (as bad as Modern Muse...)
Now that I know how unique and well made this is I can ignore the tackiness.

Being a yogini, I think this same juice would sell to yoga crowd renamed 'OM' or 'Shanti' or something like that, and packaged with India inspired design.... in organic food shops.

amelie

@ Vie, I just feel the same about YD. And you managed to capture its character.

Femme en Blanc
Femme en Blanc

This review is for the vintage bath oil:

Like the others mentioned, the bath oil is richer, and more opaque than the perfume. You literally only need about 2-3 drops of this stuff on bare skin. Take about an hr for it to drydown, and it reminds me exactly of the wooden chinese carvings that my parents brought back on a family trip to China. An opulent mix of oriental spices,with a tangy balsamic cola undertone.
Love.

aliora
aliora

I have this in the bath oil, which is the only version I like. The spray was simply too much, and I couldn't continue to wear it without inevitably washing it off. To me, Youth Dew is like a super concentrated combination of Cola, spices and cloves plus some cosmetic powder.

The bath oil, which when diluted in water reminds me of those Bee Sandalwood soaps I grew up with, is rounder, softer and much more user friendly. I'm currently wearing this layered over Miss Dior Le Parfum, which has a slight resemblance to Youth Dew, and it's quite intoxicating. It's a pity they discontinued the Amber Nude version which promised to be a gentler version of this sillage monster.

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

I don't think YD should have been made in a spray, to be honest. The notes are already so bold, in oil form (or any of the body products) the scent warms to a deep, smooth velvet, dark as night and just as mysterious, but the alcohol in the spray turns the whole thing into a screechy, bitter mess that burns my nose and makes me want to hurl.

Oh but the oil is stunning. It requires a very light hand and a long dry down time, and if you do this right, Youth Dew, despite its tacky name, cheesy packaging and bad reputation, will not disappoint: It's a black leopard, silky smooth and purring, claws retracted and beguiling gaze, seductive to boot but with an element of clear and present danger.

It is a strongly polarizing fragrance, yet I can't help but feel smug when my self admitted YD hating friends exclaim that I smell so good and ask me what I'm wearing. Ok, so there IS a definite chemistry thing, there, I won't deny it, but still: In bath oil or lotion or powder it is a very beautiful fragrance.

Maybelle
Maybelle

My mother wore it and it made me gag especially on long car trips. I never want to be near it again.

shushkin
shushkin

My Mum bought this for me when I was 16. It was in solid perfume contained in a gold coloured locket. I took one sniff and screwed up my face. It was so heavy. Poor Mum. Well the she had good intentions.
It does last for ages on your skin but just not me. The spices just overwhelm the flowers. I love Narciso and Just Cavalli. I'm a flowers girl.

jake.shouse

I like Youth Dew and love Cinnabar!

tracy.debloistalley
tracy.debloistalley

My grandmother used to wear this sometimes and I liked it. On the other hand when I tried it years ago I gagged. I tried it again a few more times since and was overcome with the urge to wash it off. I tried it again for the last time last night and never again. It is so strong and so potent.
I sprayed one time and the entire area smelled of it for an hour. It smells on me only of incense and cloves. I do not get the other notes much at all. I smell the other scents but they are so jumbled together I can't make them out. I can still smell it tonight on my purse, over 24 hours later which to me is a crazy amount of time, lol. I had a massive headache with it and am wondering how this scent is so popular this many years later.

liiva
liiva

Very much Tolu Balsam and Incense and cloves of course, so much from everything. Very, very similar to Cinnabar Estée Lauder for women. I am not from stone age, so I want to remove this from my arm. :)

Kpowers
Kpowers

Fun fact: Youth Dew was The Duchess of Windsor's favorite fragrance.

leeleeB
leeleeB

I have tested this several times throughout the year, after reading all the negative reviews, I wanted to know what offence this perfume commited.

After several tests... I have a bottle as well as the powder, and I am going to hunt down the bath oil to.

I like to wear this at home after a shower. I did this one evening and my daughter went into the bathroom after me and asked what is that smell?? I froze in my bed and asked why?? and she answered, it smells good in here!! My hubby has said I smelled good when I wore this another time to. :)

This is not to be sprayed willy nilly... oh no the best is one light spray. Or spray into the air and walk through.

This is a real nice spicy scent which I like.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I wouldn't not personally wear this fragrance as it is rather heavy and dry-spice for my tastes but I have positive memories, one of my aunts used to wear this on holidays when wed go to Easter mass or Christmas parties. My husband does not like this scent says it smells like 'old people" Must be the incense..for me it has a homey scent. Is there a menthol-cough drop aspect in this? I recall smelling something vaguely medicinal along with it but perhaps my aunt had cough drops in her jacket.

edit: was at the E L counter,sprayed this along with Cinnabar to compare. It wasn't just my aunt, there is definitely what Id call an herbal quality which is why I was thinking cough drops.

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

Best to spray in the air and walk through, for me. I go through YD phases. So not this decade although I have some. Does not seem to smell good on everyone. I like it but I understand why some do not. I've had friends buy it based on how it smells on me and it does not work for them. The sweaty name is not reflective of contents. I wore it at 23 and wear it still at 53. It either suits your skin composition or it does not.

jessica.collins
jessica.collins

I am 28, whenever i was 25, a coworker of mine came into work smelling absolutely beautiful, unique, lovely, all wonderful things. I had to ask her what she was wearing, and she smiled and said, Youth Dew. I had never heard of it before, so I knew i had to get my hands in a bottle so i could smell just as wonderful as she. I searched for a week and finally came across it, I bought it, excitedly opened it in my car, sprayed it on, gagged, got a headache, and smelled like car oil mixed with vodka. Needless to say I cried all the way back home and gave it away. I wanted to smell just as lovely as my coworker, but it is very obvious this scent requires the right body chemistry!

jht4060
jht4060

Apply Estee Lauder Youth Dew sparingly and it is an engaging clove and incense perfume - but the strength warrants a new classification above Parfum. It is easy to over apply. After a strong clovey first few hours, Youth Dew settles down to a dark, almost brooding, ambery woody incense blend that sits closer to the skin. I find this middle to base phase captivating - the little gold bow is off and the mature woman reveals her shape.

The opening strength of Youth Dew raises an interesting point... if you purchase pure aroma chemicals as I often do, you soon find that only a few are overpoweringly strong in pure form. Two of those are eugenol and isoeugenol, both of which smell roughly like clove bombs. There is a good dose of one of them or their close cousin in Youth Dew, though in absolute concentration they may be modest. The interesting point being that the perceived strength of a perfume is not that closely related to the official strength guides (which are based on the fraction of the final fluid that is composed of fragrant oils - about 10% for EdT etc.). Some compounds have high affinity for olfactory receptors that are wired in our brains to produce a strong response. Most of these compounds are intensely repulsive as indicators of putrefaction. When I was a graduate student, someone somewhere in my building broke a small bottle of butyric acid and the entire building spontaneously emptied of people within minutes (and this was a very large building - fire alarms should be vials of butyric acid that are smashed, nobody would dawdle). Dogs can detect butyric acid at 10 parts per billion in air (though knowing dogs, they might find it attractive, ugh). Not that butyric acid has anything to do directly with Youth Dew, I hasten to add.

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

Incense, Spices, Patchouli, Aldehydes, Cinnamon and Vanilla. YUM!!!!!!!!!

I finally tried this today - generously spritzed some on in Myer while out shopping with my Mum. Within 30 minutes or so of wandering around, FIVE different people stopped me to ask what I was wearing and complimented me on how good/amazing/beautiful I smelled.

That was around 5 hours ago now - and I'm still easily smelling this Oriental *magic* on my skin now. To be honest, I didn't expect much of this as everything I've sampled from Estee Lauder lately has bored the you-know-what out of me...but not this. THIS is simply a fragrant Masterpiece.

When Youth Dew dries down - I personally smell EVERYTHING listed in the notes here. Especially the Balsam and the Vetiver - even once it's dried down and been on the skin for hours on end, I still smell everything easily...and it's absolutely divine!

Not for the faint hearted, and definitely not for those who like to play it safe with perfume...but for Oriental fans and women who WANT to be noticed, it doesn't get much better than this! Hope I receive a bottle from Santa this year :)

christianne1
christianne1

Alert the media because hell has frozen over...I like Youth Dew!!! This was in my top 2 most puzzling as to why people like it fragrances ever. All of my life I have said how much I hate Youth Dew. Just seeing the bottle kind of did something unpleasant to my insides. Just seeing that little gold bow annoyed me.

I have been revisiting perfumes from my youth (going all the way back to elementary school) just to see what I think of them now. While my impression of many of them has remained the same I have done a 180 on some. Even becoming obsessed with love for my previous #1 most hated fragrance Shalimar (now it is pretty much holy grail for me).

So, I decided to be brave and give Youth Dew a shot. I took the scary little gold bow adorned bottle out of the box and took a deep breath. While squinting and grimacing and holding my breath...I sprayed it twice on my arm. Expecting to still hate it, I took a hesitant sniff and what the freak do you know....I love it. How?? How is this happening? What happens to our brains that makes something we hate so much likable or even lovable with time?

Youth Dew opening is semi hypnotic for me. My brain sort of does fabulous things when I smell it. I just want to lie in bed and sniff my arm all day. It reminds me of what the original Opium did to my brain. My eyes kind of roll back into my head. Over Youth Dew. Freaking Youth Dew. I can't believe it.

So, what do you know.....I guess I will have that dang little bow bottle in my collection after all.

UPDATE: Waaaaah! My Youth-Dew party ended. The dry down is terrible on me. I feel woozy. But the opening is hypnotic. I still am amazed that I like ANY part of Youth-Dew though. I was even starting to like the little gold bow. :(

suhuso
suhuso

moucou has it straight - I first encountered this scent on my 21st birthday and detested it on contact - could not get it off me fast enough. 20 years later I find I am drawn to the very combination that repelled me so long ago.
Her personality was too strong for me handle then, but we embrace each other well now...

mocou
mocou

Youth Dew has a strong personality, and be warned, she can be harsh, ungraciously so. Many have been scared away within seconds, never again to go anywhere near this complicated chracter.
Yes, she's one of those, there is no mingling, you've got to adore her. Because it's like there is not enough room for two personalities on one body- if you know what I mean. That's how overwhelming she is.
In return for your surrender, she offers the most exciting spectacle of scents. Starts sharp with sexy spices rounded with a little orange, then sweet flowery rose and cinnamon, and my favorite bit the warm balmy bit- and of course she stays for ever with you. It's amazing- all the things going on, on my skin when I'm wearing YD, such a unique daring scent.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

So here I am, at the Estee Lauder counter, snooping around the fragrances. I spot the Youth Dew, which is one of the perfumes I had wanted to test, and along comes the SA. "Ah....Youth Dew", she says. "Ms. Lauder created this decades ago, and it is one of the most popular." Yes, yes, I know this, but I have to be polite. I smile and know I'm in for the sales pitch now. She asks me to walk around to where the perfumes are stocked where she goes on to deliver her sales pitch. I spray Youth Dew on.
Years ago, as a young woman, one of my aunts used Youth Dew, and would give me her bottles when I would visit her. So I had a growing collection of perfume of semi-used bottles of high-end fragrances from my wonderful Aunt Marie. She would give me them just because she was generous and liked to share. Because the next week I would see her, she'd have new bottles of the same stuff. She just liked to give me her perfumes. Aunt Marie was a wonderful, caring, sharing and strong person with everyone. She taught me many things in life and that included humor, too.
I remember finding Youth Dew a very heavy perfume, that I would only use at night, and very sparingly on pulse points. It was a mysterious scent, and back then I didn't know a note from a name. All I did know was that I loved this rubber-coated bottle, I thought it was kitschy and Youth Dew was unlike any other I had every smelled.
Thick, rich, spicy, cloying in its presentation, the aldehydes kick at the beginning, vanilla, musk, amber, the mosses with the woods and the patchouli (I'm a patchouli junkie)...what more could I ask for? Oh this baby was special, no doubt about it. I would wear it only on special occasions, too, because I would think it was too grown-up for me at that time. Once I was married with children, it became a frag I could wear, but not necessarily around the little ones, it's too strong.
So I listen to her sales pitch about the gift sets for Christmas, some time goes by, and I re-smell my arm. Oh no! Where did the Youth Dew go? Where is my beloved memory scent? This Youth Dew is too light, and I'm trying to really get a handle on its notes but I can't smell much at all.
I don't know if it's the reformulation or if the tester bottle was off, but on that particular day Youth Dew did not deliver its promise of a spicy Oriental. I will go to another Lauder counter and re-test this potion, because I really want to see if the perfume standards have changed this beauty that much.
I miss my original Youth Dew.

SolangeN

The opaque blue bottle formula is far better than the version in the clear bottle. It has the dry spice note the thin version in the clear bottle lacks. Don't know if it's the old formula or just stronger, but stocked up a decent supply in case it disappears.

Elviel
Elviel

Mum has worn this for the last 40 years (the first bottle a gift from my sister - her first pay packet from her teenage holiday job).

The 2012 bottle was a shock; so altered. Superficially the same, it behaves quite differently on the skin. The orange top and rose middle are completely drowned in a rather artificial smelling spice and vanilla.

When I smell it I can almost smell its previous incarnation which was warmer, softer, smoother, less screechy, less strident; but not quite.

We had great fun trying to find a replacement (examples Noel au Balcon and 5 O'clock Gingembre) but ended up with an older bottle from ebay.

This suited mum as a young married woman. It suited her as a 60 year old zipping about on her moped. It suits her now at 80 with her cheeky, mischievious, personality; her punful, dry sense of humour; her laid back casual fleece and tea-shirt look with grey hair pulled back into a careless bun or ponytail.

A young carefree woman in an old body. I love my mum.

Tried it again today and felt so sad that I trotted off and bought her a bottle of the bath oil. We tried it together and mum was pleased; she had tried the 2012 concoction again and felt miserable. The oil has the long lost orange peaking through, a little bit of rose, some sweetness from benzoin or balsam. Kind of the same as the spray but warmer, smoother, more friendly, quieter.

The bath oil version is still a force to be reckoned with; still a front runner in the pack of Oriental-Spicy.

Bath oil September 2013 (thanks to those who highlighted the difference)
Eau de Parfum spray 2012
Older version circa 2003-2005 and a lifetime of scent memories

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

So good...

jake.shouse

Smells nothing like Cinnabar this has more Spice so I could tell Youth Dew and Cinnabar apart with my eyes close! No comparison!

halalula1234
halalula1234

ironically....this does not smell "youthful" at all.
Reminds me of grandma. Sorry!

gishgamesh
gishgamesh

Just received a 60 ml bottle of the current bath oil and I'm not liking this at all on first impression. I love rich orientals but even a dab of this is overpowering. I get the feeling that all the notes form an orchestra crashing out their loud tune simultaneously all at once. Its overwhelming.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

I kept getting whiffs of this from a very stylish pensioner lady in our little village. I have dithered about getting it for so very long, becuase, from the bottle, it is so potent, it is unpleasant. But, when I spray it onto a spill and leave it in my bag for a while, it begins to smell glorious. So old fashioned, so feminine and glam, the way I expected ladies to smell when I was a very small child. I adore the heady narcissus note, not unlike those tiny little ones they call "cheerfulness" in the UK, the tiny ruffled little cream flowers atop long green stems which are filled to the brim with delicious perfume. There is a beautiful grown up and exotic spiciness to it too, a bi-polar fragrance, vaccillating between innocent and exotic. I wonder if there are bath products, bath gel/soaps with this scent? I would love them in my bathroom. This glorious cacophony of floral delight, without the indolic smudge is just so fine. I wouldn't apply it near my face, it would be just too much, a dab on the wrists, or a walk through a light mist all that is needed. "Enough"; as Mary Poppins is given to saying, "is as good as a feast".

rockegg

I am adding to my previous review. I just smelled a new bottle. This has changed dramatically. The new version smells more like Cinnabar. I don't like this nearly as well.

Babslady
Babslady

This is not Youth Dew! It has been many years since I used YD, but the slap in the face today by this imposter at Dillard's was not YD. I had the blue bottle and the bath oil in the early 70's and this is not the same. I even had scented stationery with tiny rosebuds as a high school graduation gift. THAT was Youth Dew, not this poor imitation.

rockrose
rockrose

I Love Youth Dew! I've loved it since I was a little girl. My mother used to put those beautiful robin's egg blue sachets in the leather suitcase that my older sister and I shared for family vacations. Our matching short sets and dresses smelled glorious. Even our rubber bathing caps (required at public pools in the 60's) smelled of Youth Dew. I really wish Estee Lauder would bring the sachet tablets back, even if only for the holidays!
I have always enjoyed smelling this heady, rich, comforting scent. It is completely intoxicating! I agree with other reviewers that cannot wear this up around their face--I can't either. But I can wear a small spritz at the base of my neck, and one on my wrist and that works very well. I have this in several formulas: bath oil, vintage blue rubber bottle, hourglass bottle, and recently a small hourglass bottle received in a swap (thanks Sheridan!!). Although I don't reach for this every day, I will never be without this beautiful creation. One note: I don't use the bath oil in the bath because it left such a dark residue, but I do wear it as perfume, and I also add it to unscented lotion for a gorgeous veil of scent. To scent the bath, I spritz about 3 to 4 times above the bath water, and the smell lingers for hours in the bathroom.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this a 10/10 for quality of fragrance, sillage AND longevity.

Zarii
Zarii

Love this fragrance. I tend to gravitate toward spicy and dark floral orientals and especially have a fascination with older perfumes so that should tell you something. Youth Dew is very distinctive, it has nuance and is elegant, but laid back as well. I enjoy the bath oil most because it is more sheer and softer, without losing that gorgeous rich, sensual character of the perfume. I have been using it often during bedtime and as a comfort scent for when I am home on the weekend and want to feel relaxed and beautiful in a t shirt and sweats. It is on my list of top favorites I foresee myself using for many years to come.

rockegg

When I was a little girl I had a neighbor who wore Youth Dew, and her whole house smelled of it. She was a wonderful, warm woman who was always kind to me. Years later when I stumbled upon Youth Dew in a store I found out what the smell was. I have such a strong, positive association with this scent. I adore it. But there is no way I can wear it. It's Jane. I wish I could. It's lovely, sophisticated, and sexy.

I think eventually the pendulum is going to swing back from the watery scents that only the wearer can smell, and only briefly, to this sort again. In a way, people right now are throwing an awful lot of money at fragrances that don't deliver much. If you have gotten used to the lighter scents and then try something like Youth Dew you are probably going to blow your head off. Go easy. Use less. Put some on your wrist to start. Next time, wrist and the crook of your arm. Keep it away from your head. That may be all you need. Don't keep spraying it all day. It will last all day and cling to your clothes until you wash them. That's a lot of bang for the buck. Someone earlier had the right idea when she sprayed the air and walked through it, as long as she intended her clothes to continue to smell like Youth Dew until she washed them. And for the love of all that's holy, don't spray your pillow case!

Youth Dew is very inexpensive these days compared to most of the new fragrances and in my opinion it's worth a hundred of them.

aleksandr.dmytrenko
aleksandr.dmytrenko

WOW! So long lasting and so flowery. I could say that it is one of the most beautiful fragrance. He is so rich and has many edges.

Sofia Ambrose
Sofia Ambrose

I used to work for a company that gave away several bottles of Youth Dew every year and for some reason I sold every bottle on eBay as soon as I left them because the scent was just too overwhelming.

Now that I'm much older I find it quite lovely. Trying on the one and only bottle that I kept for myself today, the cute old-fashioned blue one, I find it exotic, haunting and quite sexy. I can now see why mature, seasoned women love it, while younger ones shy away...

It's definitely for sultry, hot, summer nights or autumn and winter as the year winds down. To be worn simply for the rich, spicy, smoky ambience that it creates...

Quite magical!

SCBohemian
SCBohemian

Youth Dew is a spicy, nightmare of a fragrance..very pungent and overwhelming to the senses. It reminds me of my 90 year old aunt.

jake.shouse

I love all Estee Lauder perfumes and Youth Dew smells really good once it has been on you for a while... It is very spicy I prefer Cinnabar, Knowing, Spellbound over YD but still like wearing Youth Dew time too time!

evocative
evocative

A little bit of trivia for you.
Back in 1953, men bought women perfume.
Women didn't buy perfume themselves.
Women did, however, buy themselves bath oil.
Estée Lauder was a very smart woman, and Youth Dew was originally bath oil.

For anyone who finds the perfume too heady, too strong, too overwhelming; try the bath oil as a perfume.
The oil has all the warm spice and complexity, but it never hits you over the head.

As I said, Estée Lauder was a very smart woman.

VanillaTabbyCat1963
VanillaTabbyCat1963

Ugly name-Gorgeous Fragrance!!

I have been looking for a spicy similar to the former Opium(also my guy's fave)and I think I think I finally hit it!!

Bought the Eau de Parfum. Strong, but not motor oil, a quality some reviewers had mentioned.

My Tatar heritage allows me the chemistry that eats spice for breakfast,so it seems. Youth Dew settled in to an exotic sweet,spicy floriental incense on my skin.Complex,Complicated, the way I love fragrance.

I don't listen to conventional wisdom. I have always worn my Oriental spice monsters in any season.

I believe that all any given fragrance needs is the right chemistry, and then nothing is off limits.

Only, I would LOve to know why Ms. Lauder chose
the humorously cryptic name "Youth Dew". The fifties version of the equally in poor taste "Wet and Wild".

NicoleO
NicoleO

I sampled this on paper first and absolutely loved it. It's warm and spicy, just what I was looking for. The next day I tried it on, loved it for the first hour, and then things turned ugly. This obviously does not work with my body chemistry, the scent I ended up with was loud and dirty and headache inducing. I tried to wash it off but it wouldn't go, and I'd gotten some on my jacket, so the smell lingered for another few days. I felt like I'd never be rid of it! Youth Dew is not for me.

cwolf
cwolf

Youth Dew is gorgeous. Complex, not pretty, bold, definitely bold. It was a chilly Auckland day today, I wore Youth Dew out on a shopping/lunch with a friend - it felt medicinal in a comforting way, like a hot mulled wine. I find this one bitter and dark but not morbid.
I am lucky to also own a tiny vial of the original bath oil from the 1950's/60's. I can say that this one most definitely has not been tampered with - although my vintage sample is a bit more mellow that could just be due to old age.
I love the dry down, it has a real vintage, old world, leather bound books vibe to it. My housemate thinks its a sexy scent.

tourmali45
tourmali45

For me this is what should be called Cinnabar - a lot of cinnamon here, and none in Cinnabar. A big scent - big on cloves, cinnamon, incense. Applied sparingly, better not from the spray, it's a delight to wear. Very spicy and heady oriental.
UPD: the drydown a bit flat, mostly straightforward tolu balsam and a bit of musk and vanilla, but faint and watery. I'm testing Private Collection on the other wrist, and PC is totally a winner between those two - lemon, pear and a touch of patchouli with woods, yum.

angelag1970
angelag1970

My maternal grandmother wore YD and just FAR too much of it, at all times. Although I love orientals, this is just way to heavy. One of those scents where I wonder if I had been exposed to it with a lighter hand and a positive association, perhaps I'd have loved it?

ForrealMe2

justbeQ: it reminds me of Chanel no 5,Coco Chanel and Coca Cola all in one bottle,sweet,strong,classic,lovely and fun because of the sweetness...i really like it too!

bouffantbunny
bouffantbunny

Smells like cheap, nasty perfume to me, powdery & annoying. Tried to like it several times on self and on pillow, both equally unpleasant. Bought it duty free and it must have been best of a bad bunch of commercial perfumes at the time. I think I was influenced by my friends saying it was a good oriental one and smelt nice on me.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Youth Dew...like others before me, I am less than thrilled by the name, but I am very impressed by the perfume itself. What follows is a dual review: one section for the current incarnation, and one for the vintage formula, to be cross-posted under the appropriate headings.

Youth Dew, in its current presentation, is a pleasant oriental fragrance. It smells good, but sillage is poor on me, and duration was quite minimal. If this were the only version of the scent I had ever encountered, I would probably give it a pass unless I found it at a steep discount; it's nice enough, but not especially distinctive, and it doesn't last very long, at least with moderate---though by no means light---application. (I tested it in EdP, for the record.)

Vintage Youth Dew, which I have in both EdP and pure perfume versions, is another animal entirely. Everything is dialed up significantly----sillage, duration, warmth, complexity...It's just a far more generous perfume than the new version. I can see easily why this scent has maintained a longterm popularity, and I can also say that it is truly distinctive. While there are other perfumes I might put in the same general category as YD, there is nothing I've found that is quite the same. It's a warm, rich, spicy, balmy scent---compelling, I think. Nothing about it suggests a mating moose, elder care facilities, or any other off-putting association to me. Yes, it has a discernible presence, which I consider a definite positive. I think it's sexy, original, delightful, comforting. I smell tolu, cloves and cinnamon, patchouli, vetiver, and some rose and ylang-ylang. Oakmoss, a bit of vanilla, a tiny hint of lavender perhaps are also present. It is a very grounding perfume, and makes me feel more at home in my body; and sensual and calming. It is simultaneously uplifting and grounding, and melds beautifully with one's skin to produce a unique scent that changes over time, moving from an almost menthol-esque opening to spicy-balmy to a final phase in which sensuous florals hover over the simmering spices and resins.

Even if one personally doesn't care for YD, I think it's worthy of study and appreciation for its influence on modern oriental perfumes, and for the quality of its (original) composition. It is arguable that YD broke ground for many subsequent releases, such as Opium, which have also become classics. Perfumes as diverse as Poison and Dune could be said to owe something to the category broadening effect of YD. It might even be said the it is the grand-dame ancestress of contemporary scents in the vein of Tauer's "L'Air du Desert Maroccain. But more than just being a perfume fancier's history lesson, or a foil against which to appreciate more austere or modern styles of perfume, I believe that the time is right for many of the classic fragrances to re-surface, unadulterated preferably, and shine again on people of all ages and genders. We need these rich, heady, original perfumes to remind us of what scent can be, how it can soothe us and move us, and to show us what true perfume artistry can be.

Kysyona
Kysyona

This is good on dry cold surfaces. Moisture, oil and temperature turns it into a chicken curry takeaway! where the actual youth dew is supposed to be found - i cannot fathom, unless it means being spiced up, baked, put into the ground and be reborn from the ashes! The comment about the tulip bulbs in the soil is spot-on, and I mean it in a good way: there's everything one could take from the earth in this fragrance - all the spices and elements that have ever been harvested and mined. It is bountiful, awakening and energizing, but for me this turns into plain curry halfway through the drydown. I am still convinced that it takes a special skin chemistry to pull this one off and I am absolutely sure that on the right skin it can be gorgeous: give it a try, on the skin - not on the clothes or paper! I will use my sample on the pillows and duvets before putting the bed linen on and see what happens! I give it a doubt-free thumbs-up for originality of composition though: you just don't forget easily something like that!
Update: nope, doesn't work on fabric: it is only barely there, 0 sillage, maybe 0,1 if I press both nostrils flat and deep into the pillow case. ah well...
Assotiated city: Bombay
Associated persona: Ghandi!!

samer007
samer007

youth dew is a thick, dark, heavy, intensely balmy scent. It feels rich and demure with all the incense, peru balsam and amber rich resins, definitely avant-garde for its time given the new niche oriental fragrances all draw their lineage to this godmother. It's sillage scent is incredibly similar to the new version of YSL'S opium!
4 stars.

MLK
MLK

Youth dew is definitely a classic perfume. It is perfect to wear in the cooler months as it is warm and spicy and very elegant. I always get lovely compliments regarding this perfume. One of the best Estee Lauder fragrances ever released and so reasonably priced for a great perfume.

wallywinthrop

Follow-up: I look at the back of the box only to see a glorious thing blazoned across it: OAKMOSS. Made in the U.S.A., it makes sense this stuff would still possess this wonderful ingredient. We may not have the most efficient healthcare but by God we still have oakmoss!

9-na
9-na

Vintage. I like it a lot. On my skin this scent is resinous, spicy, flowery, and at the same time - fresh, leafy. I like it a lot when the scent gives me incense and resins, aromatic cloves and just as aromatic cinnamon. And what a wonder of roses and lilies-of-the valley... And currant leaves? Sure, very-very aromatic. And lavender. I love lavender in Youth Dew. Got a story connected with the scent: I'm asked occasionally about that wonderful and no doubt new something that I'm wearing, the one that sounds youthful, but with just the right amount of heaviness to it, "about to enter adulthood". I answer that it's Youth Dew, and get approving nods and sighs, as they tell me it's the right name for the scent, only the dew is special. It's thick, like a drop of amber, and at the same time it is light, like that spring wind that's about to turn into summer one.

wallywinthrop

This is a review for the bath oil. I approached this fragrance with all the lore of it behind me, overcoming my original dislike of the name and the box (I don't refer to women's perfume choices as 'old lady' but I'm sorry, Estee Lauder packaging is terribly dated and tacky in my view). NEVERTHELESS, you can't judge the book by its cover. This is one hot animalic blend. I feel like I tested this once and it had more clove in it that was, yes, reminiscent of Opium as Estee herself said, unfortunately this was about 6 years ago when I had just graduated high school and who knows what they did to either blend since then, so I don't feel like I can accurately compare the two in search of what I remember. Anyway, this one is resinous and spicy. On my hand, there are some phenolic aspects of this and the spices morph to pine needles.

I like and respect Diorissimo but can never bring myself to purchase it. It would make me feel too much like Sandra Dee (her cinematic self anyway) and that's not the type of woman I want to emulate. From the same era (only three years before Diorissimo) came Youth Dew to initiate empowered perfume purchases by women for themselves. It is not for ingenues - this is cognac, not a chocolate shake. Of the choices from that era, Youth Dew is my number 1. But easy does it. I am a liberal applier of perfumes, and a half drop of the bath oil is quite enough (delectable under other fragrances too, such as Chanel Coco and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan).

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Ok, if you wonder why I have such a PASSION for fragrance... THIS is IT!!!

It is amazing how fragrance reaches right through your consciousness and immediately acts as a time machine transcending the present moment and carrying you magically back to the exact time that the fragrance made an impression on you!

My mother wore this fragrance when I was growing up and had the body powder, lotion, and my very favorite- the bath oil... which would completely transform that part of the house into such a wonderful aromatically heavenly zone.

Youth Dew is one of the most amazing smells in the world to me, but I have "put this on a pedestal" and I haven't dared to wear myself, because it was so much HERS!

This fragrance is everything that you would want to BE, as a woman... it is professional, lady-like, alluring, sexy, powerful (in a feminine sort of way), and decidedly womanly. My mother would wear this fragrance before she and my Dad would go on "date nights" out to the slipper club with friends... or she would wear this to work as her signature scent.

I can whiff a bottle of this and still hear the sound of her stiletto heels clicking down the hall!

This is a fabulous scent - my mother wore this well, she was totally beautiful, lady like, and wore this fragrance so well that it made such an impression on me that I've loved fragrance (and the art of wearing and selecting fragrance) as one of my top PASSIONS in life!

Thanks Mom!
Thanks Estee Lauder for the gift of Youth Dew!
You opened me to a whole WORLD of Fragrance!

jake.shouse

I looooooooooooooooooooooooove this perfume another great Estee Lauder perfume this my mom wear and she also wear Cinnabar which i love also i wear this anytime it is heavier but who cares ppl say may i quote "My God You Smell Good Got To Get Me Some Of That" And i say it's Youthdew.... The name is beautiful too me makes me feel so pretty and cozy when i wear this on my skin it kinda goes powdery and smells similer too Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills but way better in smell!

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Youth Dew's name just corresponds to the sensitivity of a long disappeared time. I don't mind at all that the name is so coherently vintage as the fume is. I admire the complexity of this perfumery gem. I show my respect to such a perfect blend, full of facets, transitions and subtleties. I'm fan of the bath oil and though I like the perfume as well I find it less mysterious.

So much above most of contemporary commercial scents. Don't even try it if you like sweet fruity aquatic safe edt. This is dark deep earthy and spicy, showy, barroque and emotional. And very long lasting.

I hope it is never discontinued, I hope young intelligent fragranticans who look for new stimuli will try and keep Youth Dew young and alive for many more years. It is just like that piece of antique furniture you treasure at home, the admiration you feel at the perfect way all its pieces were assembled when you pull one of its drawers is exactly what Youth Dew gives me as a perfume.

A piece of a disappeared art style we should all take care to preserve.

Emilym1992
Emilym1992

Anyone else find the title "youth dew" a bit off putting?

jake.shouse

I wish ppl would stop thinking this smells like Tabu come on REALLY... Just plain rubish. Just like Someone said Red edt smelled like Estee Lauder Beautiful if you think TABU smells like Youthdew you must not know Youtdew... Anyone one who wears TABU needs too go back too 1920's because that is a nasty smell... lol Just nonsense!

doormouse1
doormouse1

I used to adore 'old' Youth Dew, but sadly the reformulation doesn't work for me. While initially pretty much like the older version, after half an hour this had turned to screaming cloves and cinnamon. Such a pity.

flowerpwrz91
flowerpwrz91

I absolutely LOVE this.
All you people that are interested in vintage fragrances, should SERIOUSLY consider trying this scent. Forget the 'old lady' tag that is often 'unfairly' associated with this perfume and appreciate this perfume for what it is, which is rich, beautiful, deep, spicy, gorgeous, coca cola (believe it or not - yes - this contains a 'coca cola' note!), notes.
You will NEVER find another perfume that smells like this. Its unique.
A true classic.
You are not a true perfume lover till you've at least tried this.

amelie

Youth-Dew can be a really awkward if you overdo it... but after showering, used with a light hand, it's so beautiful, deep, mystical oriental, smelling so purely on the skin.

alessia
alessia

I really like it, and over the last 20 years I bought it six or seven times, nevertheless it could never be my signature scent and I perfectly understand those who dislike it. Beware of the quantity: an overdose of Youth Dew can be a punch in your stomach!But then, if you go lightly on quantities and you wear it with the right weather ( ideal for misty/rainy late autumn early spring mornings)Youth Dew becomes the most comforting hug, the most gentle and unexpected ray of light, and it gives you a subtle aura of distinction whatever your age is.

LadiJ
LadiJ

Love this scent. it is an acquired taste and smells different on everyone who i have smelled it on. have to be a little daring to really rock this smell

kitka
kitka

Never understood this fragrance--the smell is rancid, smells like sweat. The name is troubling too... I can't think of too many fragrances that I find this offensive and unattractive.

swedishclare

This is just not for me, it smells like insect repellent on my skin. I bought it blind because it's a classic, but now have a 28ml bottle available for a swap... sprayed once, and I'll keep a couple of ml as a sample (and just in case I ever need to scare my boyfriend out of the house, he literally recoiled when he got a whiff of it on me... Estee Lauder's mace spray!).

justbeQ
justbeQ

When I was a little girl my dad would always get these root beer candies shaped like little barrels. And sometimes he would share them with me. Youth-Dew reminds me of that candy and that candy reminds me of my father.

I know what you’re thinking, “really, root beer?!” Yep, root beer! The balsams, the clove, the cinnamon and spices, the cassia…all ingredients in, you got it, root beer. I love a good root beer and I’m very picky with my root beer thanks to my dad.

This is definitely a huge power-fume, a little goes a long way. If I’m not careful it can quickly lead to a headache from hell. The first time I sprayed this in a department store, I found myself in the restroom trying to scrub it off to no avail and thinking, “oh God, what have I done!”

I waited a very long while before giving it another go, a small dose this time. And Magic! Or should I say Root Beer!

SASKIAH

It was my only love before reformulation with balms and cloves...

But yet, it's a different smell, not really bad but no more Youth Dew !!!

ForrealMe2

This scent is gorgeous. First off to be fair you must try this out first before buying because its a classic strong scent so if you like Chanel #5,Coco Chanel then this is the type of perfume to get because this is in the same family...this perfume literally smells like Chanel #5 but lighter and prettier and then i can smell whatever is in Coco in here too...there is aldehydes in this for sure..when i smelled this i was blown away i was like the best of both world's in this small bottle??? No way!! And thats the initial smell..then it starts to transform and turn so sweet and unique that i am impressed...Coco Chanel was my favorite but it never changed as much as this does which makes it unique to me because not that many perfumes really change like they promise..this is a definate keeper..

ev1981
ev1981

First off I'm a guy. But I have to defend this scent. Youth Dew was worn by my mom's best friend when I was a child in the 70s and I adored her. She was so cool. So for me Youth Dew is the smell of sports cars and sailing regattas, shopping and lunching, fine restaurants, liqour and cigarettes. This woman new how to live and taught that to me. If I pass it at a department store sample counter I'll even put some on. Because as someone previously said, it will cling to my shirt the rest of the day and then stink up my laundry basket. I love it!

aveilhe
aveilhe

This is a baffling juice. I have never felt so ambivalent about a fragrance. On the one hand, the potent patchouli and balsamic resin notes are right up my alley: rich, earthy, and spicy. But, on the other hand, there is something a bit "off" about Youth Dew that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe there is just too much going on -- too many notes? Or, maybe the excess of slightly bitter Tolu fights too forcefully with the floral notes? Initially, I thought "I could wear this!" Then, after it had been on my skin for a while, it started to "turn" or sour. I had entirely changed my mind by the end of the dry-down. I can see why this is a polarizing scent...it definitely polarized me!

I guess Youth Dew is one of this perfect examples of how different perception can be and how important your skin is in what you get of a scent.

I discoverd Youth Dew by accident and was intrigued - that cute girly bottle, its age and so on. I was extremely surprised what was IN the bottle. Yesterday I read almost all your comments and was around 70% sure this is my new scent.
About three hours ago I sprayed it on and I was immediately in love. After all I've read I expected the opening to be extreme and prepared myself not to judge too early. What I experienced was completely different. I loved it from the first second, I almost miss the opening from three hours ago. It's far from overbearing, extreme or whatelse to me. It reminded me very much of Miss Dior in the beginning (I asked myself: what's doing Miss Dior in there??).
By no means it reminds me of cat urine, insect repellent or or other 'bad' animalic scents. (This is most likely the amber which is a classical case of 'love it or hate it'. )
It dries down to a soft, powdery and warm soapy scent, which I love very much.
I guess it goes very well with my rather oily. And I guess my preferences in perfumes, which consist of rather heavy perfumes (YSL Nu, No 5, Mitsouko, Miss Dior, Opium) on a daily basis contribute that I don't consider Youth Dew as extreme.
Yes, it's a heavy, oriental scent. If you like that, give it a try. Even if you don't like it, your nose has learned something new. And if you like Miss Dior and Opium you will most likely like Youth Dew, too.

I am completely hooked and ordered the big bottle imediately after I came home.

What I really dislike are the sometimes insensitiv comments about the taste of others. You don't have to like it, just because it's a legend in perfume history. And on the other hand you don't have to slam other people because they like 'an old ladies scent'. Be respectful. Orientals, especially the heavy ones are not for everyone and vice versa sweet and flowery are not

Mons
Mons

You will be hard pressed to find someone out there who is a bigger fan of patchouli than am I. I love those heavy, woody smoky scents that hang on everything; one's clothes, the drapes, the cat. Ahh, those heavy and heady scents are the things that memories are made from. I received this as a gift from an old friend who thought they had found the perfect gift. Though I was deeply touched by the sentiment and the effort, I can not begin to tell you how much this stinks.
I don't like negative reviews, I feel if you don't like it, don't wear it/buy it - no harm no foul, however, this was such an offense to the senses I felt I had to post something to warn anyone considering a blind buy. This is strong, sweet, sticky flat soda with vanilla and some angry bitter citrus. There are random spices in here that remind me of things that should stay in the very back of the spice pantry - seldom if ever to be used.
There is so much in this scent, but it doesn't go together.....like trying to put out the fire of very spicy Indian food with a crisp white Pinot Grigio....it's just wrong.
I have never gotten far enough through the dry down to find any patchouli, that's ok, I don't need to suffer with this as there are countless other scents out there that are harmoniously wearable. This will stay with you after a decent scrubbing. I came close to chewing off my own arm to get it off.

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

This has the spice of Opium, with a bit less smoke, more of a floral, woodsy hint, and a ton of amber in the base. As others have noted, it is a silage BOMB, so be careful!! You do need to wait an hour or so for the dry-down to get the full effect on this one; straight from the bottle it is overpowering, so if you're going somewhere, spray in advance. I was pleasantly surprised by this one, especially after the extreme opening, and will be getting a bottle. For the money this is a great buy. Definitely not a summer scent, but for winter this is great - it's almost "Holiday comfort" bottled.

swedishclare

I bought this blind, simply because it's a classic, and not really expecting to like it. I wasn't expecting that Youth Dew and I would have such an immediate personality clash though... the first few seconds were actually pleasant, lots of oranges and cloves, and then it changed into a cacophony of, well, everything. If this were a piece of music, it would be the orchestra warming up for a concert.

After a while it settled into what someone who smelled it on me succinctly described as "insect repellent" before fleeing the room (and that was several hours later, so I had really given it a chance to settle down).

Also, it seems to spread its molecules generously - everything I was wearing has been put in the laundry basket, which will probably now always smell of this stuff, as does my winter coat... and that was from a tiny tiny spray. It smells spicy, old-man's hair cream and aftershave, mixed with the musty smell of homes that don't get cleaned often enough. However, I strongly suspect that on the right body chemistry and with the right attitude it has the potential to smell amazing - which it did for two seconds, before the oranges and cloves were drowned out by everything else.

mysticgoose
mysticgoose

It is a strong scent that I hated when I was a young girl but I like it now. It is a bargain. It doesn't smell like the scents evertone else is wearing. People are attracted by it when I wear it and it reminds them of something or perhaps someone but what or whom. Because it was so familiar once and not so much now-- it has a new mystery to it. I also agree with the review about the bath oil. If you like it but you think it is too strong, the bath oil is the one to get. Also try it in the winter, it wear easier in winter.

ppnair73
ppnair73

Based on reviews here, I made a blind buy for my wife. Gotta say this, not what I expected it to be. Expected something better. Somehow, it reminds of an age long gone by. Something old women would use. Never thought I would say something like this, but never gonna buy this one again. And my wife says she gets a headache whenever she uses it. Maybe some ingredient does not agree with her. But the longevity is crazy!!! I can smell it on her 2 feet away, even after 12 hours. Wish all perfumes had this kind of longevity. Sorry, lovers of this one.

Cielval
Cielval

This is by far one of the strongest scents out there.. Just not for me. Came across a lotion at a market once.. I thought it had gone bad. I smelled it at macys a month later same scent..No offense to anyone who likes this fragrance. Just my opinion..

synergypsy
synergypsy

The preceding review is mine, not "guest". I wanted to take full responsibility!

A Monster with a captial "M". After nearly 50 years I can still conjure the olifactory experience, becoming sick and dizzy with the memory. My mother wore it. And I love my mother-- so my review isn't skewed by mother "problems"!

It's difficult to break this fragrance into separate compositions because the list is apparently endless. The question would be what is NOT in it?

As with most fragrances of the time, the aldehyde punch is straight to the gut. Then comes sickening bergamot. And then it gets totally crazy-- a schizophrenia of frenzied notes. Cloying musk, overwhelming incense, and fore Heaven's sake, vetiver! Why? And I swear I can smell verbena, too.

Also, what's puzzled me for all this time is the name, which evokes a return to youth-- a time of whimsy and lightheartedness. And I think that's the "inside joke" with this fragrance as it's light years distant from sunny youthfulness.

I apologize to lovers of this fragrance, but as another poster noted, it is polarizing!

noori
noori

Youth-Dew is certainly an interesting one to try out. I was eager to try it out on my skin, and the first sniff was a huge disappointment. It had a strange, unpleasant note suppressing everything else, a dirty, animalic smell, and not in the good way. But with time it disappeared, or melted into the other notes, I really do not know, but what was left on my wrist was an amazing, warm, spicy and balsamic scent. Very interesting one, for sure (though Knowing is still my EL favourite)

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

In 1953 when looking to create a star Estee Lauder threw everything it had, and then some, at Youth Dew.

The result was a sensation.

But like all great screen legends, beneath that sixteen feet high persona there was a very complicated being.

To talk of notes seems almost superfluous, there are just so many strands to this scent's bow. And the result? Well it smells like Youth Dew.

Like perhaps just a hand full of fragrances this has come to smell distinctly of itself and to attach itself distinctly to the person wearing it, filtering our perception of both person and perfume.

Scent brings with it the most emotional baggage of any sense and a perfume as perfectly recognisable as this is very heavily weighed down. In our minds it is our teenage years, our love/hate friend next door, our co-worker or aunt and it has to work hard to escape these serial stereotypes.

And does it succeed? Well, yes.

For ultimately Youth Dew is a star for the very reason we remember it all too well: it has those two most bankable of qualities, staying power and pulling power.

Wear the perfume and the people will come.

Sizzler
Sizzler

My mother wore Youth Dew when I was a child. As kids I think we take things at face value, we haven't aquired tastes. So I simply associated this with my mother or the lingering fragrance left behind when she and my father had nights out. Somehow Youth Dew stayed on her vanity into the 90's when I was a teenager and I gave her such a hard time about it!! I had formed fragrance Taste. In fairness I spent quite a bit of time as a young teen at fragrance counters sniffing all of the newest releases, so I was conditioned to dislike Youth Dew's style.

Recently, after forming a passion for learning everything I can about fragrance, I have been thinking a lot about Youth Dew and it's associations. I tried the Youth Dew on my mother's vanity and still couldn't handle it.

I kept wanting to give the Bath Oil a try and I finally gave it to myself for Christmas. $39.99 for 2oz at Nordstrom. Wow, I'm loving it! I enjoy it in the bath and/or a few drops on pulse points and it seems a much more enjoyable indulgence.

Very well blended, not all resiny balsam and intense spice, but warm with underlying florals. I haven't figured out all of what I am smelling but I am excited to keep getting to know Youth Dew Bath Oil.

annobime
annobime

I used this perfume when I first started my career in the 1970s- at that time it was in vogue and I enjoyed it I guess, at least never had any complaints. Now, looking back, I don't know how I could wear it- way too strong and overpowering! I guess times have changed, for the better :-/

Jomoves

I am adopted, and when I was little I always used to love this fragrance and would buy it for my mother. Unfortunately, she suffers from hayfever. Youth Drew was far too strong for her so to the back of the cupboard it would go after a couple of polite applications. I was always secretly disappointed. After all, how could you not love something as spicy and sophisticated as this?

This year I made contact with my birth mother and we get on like a house on fire. I'll give you one guess what her favorite perfume is ...

thefemalemantis
thefemalemantis

absolutely HORRID stuff. there is a faint hint of what reminds me of honey.. that is about ONLY note i could stand. I'm a big fan of Beautiful and my fiancé knew it, so when his grandmother wanted to get me a gift, he mentioned Beautiful. Bless her heart, she couldn't remember which fragrance to get but she thought Youth Dew smelled nice.

It reminds me of elderly women who were introduced to this fragrance in their younger years when apparently several parfums were heavy and with similar notes.

it's just not for me.

wendyyparty

I just ordered a 60ml bottle of bath oil from ebay...and it's totally amazing! The bath oil is like the edp without the harsh opening (that nasty part which I also adore ^__^) I got more warmth... more smokey and less aldyhydes. Plus it's VERY long lasting. While the edp has great longevity on cloths, it doesn't last that long on my skin.

Important note: Never wear YD on light colored shirt or it will be stained

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

I use the Bath Oil version of Youth Dew; have for over 25 years. It stays much closer to the skin, and tends not to 'fill the room' like the spray EDP. It's a warm, womanly, sophisticated scent that garners me many compliments. Don't wear it if you want to smell sweet (although the vanilla comes through well), or if you'd rather remain anonymous. Someone, usually male, will notice!

sally.west1
sally.west1

Smells great on some women and absolutely gross on me! I was bought a gift set of this stuff about 20 years ago. Used the body cream but the EDP was just too strong and overpowering and after a short while on my skin began to smell like a cat and not in a good way! It made me feel physically quite ill - the same effect I have with "Magic Noire" and "Cinnabar" and "Opium". Strangely my friend occasionally wears Youth Dew and I always like it on her - my skin chemistry just hates this!

MJ1209
MJ1209

Some fragrances need to fade off into the sunset. Time has come for dear sweet Granny's favorite to be put away. Scenting with perfume is wonderful, knocking people over with fragrance has passed its prime. Icky sweet and almost moldy smelling means its time to put this one in our treasured memory boxes and leave it there.

wendyyparty

"All the niche perfumes are constantly trying to do balmy spicy musky with an heir of pedigree when Youth Dew is really the leader of the pack."

Nancy I can't agree more!!! I mean, how many times a person can ever possibly put all those selective gorgeous and monstrous notes, with an exact amount, in a magic pot, and results this complicated, masterpiece of art?

IMO, I have tried several nice niches and managed to own some of them that I like the best, but soon find them boring and ended up switching to another bottles (the longest was merely a week, with SL Chergui) BUT I'm never done with YD. She's so beautiful, feminine without being too soft, too sweet or girly. She's rocking and complicated yet also comforting and down to earth.

Ms. Lauder is a undoubtedly a super ultra genius!!!

moma4faith
moma4faith

This perfume is, simply, my mother. It was her signature scent, her only scent. Any other perfume gifted to her sat in the bottle, unused. She was faithful to her Youth Dew. Whenever I smell it on another woman, I get teary-eyed with memories of my mother. I cannot wear the fragrance, as aldehydes do not work with my skin chemistry, but I have a partial bottle of my mother's. I give it a sniff every now and then. So, even though I can't wear it, it is still heaven in a bottle and evokes wonderful memories of my mother.

lisa o
lisa o

never thought I'd fall for youth dew (the old joke about the name considering the kind of perfume), but did. it's so dense, complex and radical, love it - and I like the strange glance of the "trendy" sales assistant when I asked for it hihi...

actually I would be very interested in coming across youth dew unconsciously (a stranger next to me wearing it, or so) just to test its effect without the preconcieved idea of an "old, unwearable classic" in mind...but I'm afraid that won't happen too soon;-)
so I just can rely on "conscious contact" which- with me- always bears the danger of "sympathy because of anticyclism"...
and by the way, against many opinions, I find it a real alternative to the much missed opium...

Violettera
Violettera

I used to wear it at 80's, but even then it seemed boring and old lady's scent. I had finished the bottle, but never bought another one.

Seemi
Seemi

I absolutely adore this warm rich spicy fragrance. It's certainly not for the faint hearted it takes a certain type of lady to carry off this fragrance.

emily128
emily128

My grandmother used to bathe herself in this stuff: lotion, powder, parfum. My father used to call it "Moose Mating Oil". I think he was right. This is the most dreadful perfume I believe I have ever smelled. It's nauseating.

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

I don't quite like it but it's a good alternative for those who are tired of Vanilla notes.
It's too...sharp for me. It is a lovely scent, though.

nadia11
nadia11

A little too overbearing for me. My sister wears this fragrance and it is divine on her. Her signature fragrance and i think of her every time I smell it, so i cant hate it :)I cant wear it myself though. I do love the classic romantic look of the bottle itself, I would love to buy the miniature bottle of this fragrance, Sweet!!

Nancy Lynn
Nancy Lynn

I have a story with this fragrance that I recently shared on a post and I want to share it here again too.

I was standing in line at a department store and a little old man, hunched over with a raspy weathered voice, complimented me on my perfume and guess what I was wearing....

Estée Lauder Youth-Dew!

Surprise! A little old man complimented me on my little "old lady" perfume. I am not a little old lady, at the time I was mid 30's. He continued to giggle and flirt with me. It was so cute and is one of my favorite scent memories. Old guy had fine taste!

Grottola
Grottola

A very strong, spicy fragrance with a lot of clove/cinnamon/amber on my skin. It's a bit too overbearing for me but I can understand why people like it. Towards the end it gets subtly animalic.

I'll have to revisit Youth Dew, but for now, it's really not my thing. This stuff lasts for over 24 hours on my skin.

pfcs

I need to do an update, too. I volunteer at the local food pantry. Last Saturday, one of the clients said she had never smelled anything as wonderful as what I was wearing and had me write down the name for her.

Fortunately, as the woman is of limited means, Youth Dew is the most affordable thing at the EL counter, despite being one of the best.

I've been wearing it for 42 years and it is the standard by which I judge perfumes. I recently bought a bottle of the bath oil, which I hadn't had for a long while. It's a terrible bath product, as it makes a wretched mess of the tub, but is wonderful as another version of the perfume. I use it when I want a softer version of the scent.

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

When I was at university there was a professor who was interested in dating me (different discipline)and as part of his courtship he gave me a bottle of Youth Dew perfume. One look at the dark, menacing liquid; one sniff of the dense perfumy vapour and then I saw the Name! Oh the horror! I quickly transfered it to my mother, shuddered and vowed to never look back.

Some years later I smelled it on someone else and thought, "Why that is lovely!" Snuck back to my mother's vanity and tried it. It was lovely. Perhaps a little too "dense" for me then. But reading the reviews here motivated me to buy the vintage bath oil form of it and try again.

I love it! It is dense, sweet, spicy and hangs in forever without knocking anyone over the head with its sillage. A little like a perfume version of very dark, rich gingerbread. You don't need much, but there is no reason to over- or re-apply, since you can smell it on yourself for at least 24 hours. And I love that too. It is so comforting to be sitting at your desk at work and get a warm, sweet waft of spices. It really seems to blend with my skin and smell perfectly natural, once the top notes die down, which happens quite quickly.

A cold weather scent, surely. To be applied sparingly.

One flaw: Worst Name Ever.

rose7
rose7

I don't post on here much, but I read a lot. I am in a constant search of a fragrance that will last on me. None does! I had a few minutes to spare, so I went in a department store and noticed the Youth Dew at the Estee' Lauder counter. I had heard that it lasts forever! I also knew that only a spritz is good and that you had to wait awhile to get the full appreciation of it! Okay, I sprayed lighly on my wrists and my neck. Never again! I had a feeling (after an hour) that I had been sprayed by a bunch of Tom Cats! Maybe Tom Cats that had been urinating in Maw Maw's powder! I went to a Walgreen's and bought wipes and tried to scrub it off of me. I also went to a department store and hit the sale rack. I bought a new shirt and ditched the Youth Dew one. If only Coach Classic would stay on me. That's my favorite scent of all time!!! Sorry for the negative YD post>

TheCountess
TheCountess

My grandmother gave me the gift box that came with the bath oil (to me, that bath oil is an extrait de parfum in disguise), powder, and satinee pour le corps. This has been her signature perfume forever. However, it will not be mine.

Don't get me wrong. The scent is amazing and the sillage is astounding. I used the bath oil and satinee and not only the bathroom smelt like it, but also the towels and my room. The only way the scent left was when I did laundry.

I find it's really sexy, with the cinnamon and other spices. Even when you sweat, the scent gets stronger. That's when I couldn't take it anymore. When I worked out I felt like I was suffocating with my own scent. Now, I use strong perfumes like Hypnotic poison (my signature frag) and others similar to its heaviness. I'm kinda used to having a strong fragrance with me, but this one just felt uncomfortable.

I'll have it around of course. This is a landmark. But I won't be using it as I thougt I would.

tamstar
tamstar

ick & gaggg! a bank customer wore it so heavy you could smell it before she opened the door. def old lady scent to me...yikes me no like

Cubby

To my nose, the spray and the bath oil are a bit different, with the oil being better. The bath oil gives you that wonderful balsam scent...and is lasting. I'm about to go buy a small bottle of the oil, which is SO affordable. And the poster who said she also used the powder? I can't imagine a better combination. I'm an ESTEE girl - the close-to-the-original-1968 ESTEE---the reformulation of 2010 and beyond ESTEE. It's just "me", but I may venture to another. Youth Dew bath oil. Please, Estee Lauder, never discontinue the original form of this scent---the bath oil!

ynde
ynde

My mum has been wearing this ever since I was little, and I've always loved it on her. On other women that wear this, it seems strong and incredibly spicy, but on my mum there has always been a sweet undertone. She started wearing it when she turned 20, so for my 20th birthday she bought me a bottle too. I love it! It's a little bit of home whenever I'm away or feeling nostalgic. And luckily enough for me, it's quite sweet and warm on my skin too. My first 'classic' and truly 'grown up' perfume, and definitely more me than any other I've tried. I can see myself wearing this for the rest of my life - please don't ever discontinue, Estée Lauder!

wendyyparty

A very interesting fragrance. Wearing Youth Dew somehow makes me feel adventurous, perfect for a boring day (lol). I sometimes layer it with my other frag, coughsantaldemysorecough, and it smell exquisite.

YD can be a show by itself; the stong opening, gothic mood it creates like you are in a well decorated opera house, topped with all those spicy and warm different notes as the show's charactors.

After a long journey, this show always take me to the perfect "happy ending"

----------------

Edit Nov 7, 2012

I'm not sure if it's just me but I've just noticed YD smells better if applying on damp skin not dry (does this somehow related to YD bath oil and tons of it's compliments?)

IMHO....
*Top notes: Cat pee, old lady-ish scent, I just have to sit in my room blowing myself for few minutes.

*Middle notes: Warm, woody, soapy, (not too) powdery, slightly animalic, earthy sweet, and very unique. So devine!

*The very dry down: Vicious! Nothing sweet or warm here. I got cold woody scent, smell like wet dirt, like I've been left alone in the woods at night. Scary? Creepy? Aroused? I'm not so sure but it wakes up my whole senses. It's like the feeling when you think of a vampire story, where you can be a hunter or being hunted.

Now I know why I felt "adventurous" when I wear YD, LOL.

Rotha
Rotha

About a year ago I sat next to a woman in a restaurant who came back from the ladies smelling overwhelmingly of something VERY strong, old ladyish, and not nice!
Blind buying a bottle of Youth Dew Bath Oil I was horrified to discover the smell was the same as my little old lady in the restaurant....but......a few hours later I could not stop smelling the beautiful scent it had developed into. Having spent a fortune and many hours looking for an unforgetable and unique signature scent, I can't believe I may have found it, and It's not something expensive and VERY hard to obtain. I can't boast to my friends that my son found it in Siberia and there was only one bottle left, or my step daughter knows a girl in Panama who will make this only for me.......It's Estee Lauder Youth Dew!!!!!!
Don't dismiss it on first smell, it develops into something quite lovely.

adair58
adair58

I can't really add more to what has already been said about Youth Dew. Except to say I love it, and Youth Dew Amber Nude, which I purchased this summer. I loved Amber Nude and read all the reviews here about original Youth Dew. I didn't buy the bath oil (that's next) but I found a bottle with a small amount left in the EDP. I tried it out twice and am wearing it for the whole day this time and I have found my favorite evolution in the scent comes at about the 3 hour mark. It is ambery and moody with some spice and vanilla peeking out. Mossy edges trying to. My kind of perfume. Rich and deep and dark.

My husband is not so sure. He asked what I was wearing right after I applied it and scrunched his nose. But I asked him to smell it again and he thought it was much better.

No matter. I wear what I wear for me, and this is more than a smell it is a state of mind!

rhunzeker
rhunzeker

Nothing sexy about this to me, all I got was powder and detergent smells. Even after the dry down, No sir I don't like it.

Smunky
Smunky

In theory, I should like this. It has several notes that I like in other fragrances. And I tried to like this. Because it's such a classic, and has been around forever, I sprayed it on, and tried to convince myself that the disinfectant cleaner smell would go away and I'd know why first hand why this is still kicking. But it didn't, and I don't. I've sampled many, many scents and can honestly say that this is the first one that I've ever hated. That being said, I've smelled it on someone else, and it quite suited her. But, on me, blech.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Youth Dew is a cacophonous brew of spice, wood, flora, and moss. It is surely one of the most recognizable fragrances, and is an American legend. It's sometimes difficult to appreciate a fragrance out of the context of our elderly relatives, but this one is certainly worth it. One of the most plush and complex fragrances out there, Youth Dew is wonderful and true to its roots - an obtainable luxury without all of the ridiculous fanfare. The "bath oil" concentration, an extrait in disguise, is less than a dinner for two. Much like other Lauder fragrances, its quality, sillage, and longevity are unmatched. The bath oil stays a bit closer to the skin and is generally more enjoyable to me, while the Eau de Parfum (which is even cheaper!) is perhaps a bit more assertive. This may be partially due to the method of application - The EDP is a spray, while the bath oil is a splash(don't ever literally splash this on you - you'll faint) and just the residue from the neck is more than enough to generate noticeable sillage - really! The price wouldn't be impressive for a lesser quality fragrance - Victoria's Secret pumps out dozens (hundreds?) of synthetic brews that cost even less. But Youth Dew is different - this was high perfumery when it arrived on shelves, and has retained its quality over those many years. Estee Lauder rather silently keeps hold of its quality standards as other mega-companies let it slip - LVMH being a major offender. While I don't find this to be EL's best fragrance, as they have a huge catalog of excellent(and less copied) fragrances, I do feel that it is one of the highest quality fragrances still left out there, period. L'Oreal(another offender) has rendered their Opium(which is definitely a Youth Dew/Cinnabar copy) unwearable with recent reformulations while Youth Dew still shines as brightly as ever.

I understand that not everyone enjoys this genre of fragrance, but it is important to give credit when it is due - especially in regard to quality standards. If only LVMH and L'Oreal would get this, we'd still have wearable versions of Opium, Kouros, Diorissimo, Fahrenheit, etc.

vmzaneti

"For those who do not know how to like Youth Dew, please read the great review by nopasho first before writing your insulting comments to save you the embarassment for showing yourself to the perfume world as someone who have not reached the aquired level in appreciating a great perfume creation just like someone who does not know how to appreciate vintage fine wines."

Hahaha, what kind of bullsh*t is that? If Estee Lauder bottled a pile of sh*t and handed it to you as a niche frag that you had to "understand" before you could actually appreciate it, I'm pretty sure you would make a tremendous effort to acquire a taste for it, just for the sake of satisfying your sense of "sofistication" and "opulency". Then, like other reviewer, you would offer Estee Lauder your eternal respect. Give me a break...

Well, thankfully there are different tastes and different people. That make me feel free to dislike this "masterpiece" and leave it to the flies and, of course, to the cult connoisseurs. Contrary to the latter, at least the flies enjoy the scent without trying to convince themselves that those who don't like are obligatory Britney Spears' Fantasy fans.

mzfiguer
mzfiguer

This one did not work for me at the age when I purchased it, so i gave it to the only woman who I knew loved and collected perfumes: my grandmother. And no, it didn't smell "old lady" on her. I remember her walking in her yard one afternoon and smelling spectacular, a testimony to its sillage. It went better with her chemistry than with mine.

Funny that at 21, 22 years old I was buying Youth Dew, Fracas, Boudoir, Must de Cartier, etc instead of Britney Spears Fantasy or Glow by J.Lo. I wanted to hang out with the big, bad gals, haha.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Because I love the big sillage bombs from the past so much I had decided to stop worrying about the terrifying top notes of Youth Dew and sprayed a test paper some time ago...oooh this is kind of really nice, next time I'll have to spray myself.

Today I sprayed, yes the opening - eye wateringly scary, weird unknown scents flying around and some akin to cat pee...okay, fling arm around for a few minutes, let it evaporate and settle a bit...hmmm....Oh my lord, this IS beautiful!!! Rich, powdery, mysterious...one bottle please. That'll be $35.00 ma'am. No problem, have a nice day.

Today is the day I have stopped worrying and learned to love the BOMB!

perfumemad62
perfumemad62

Youth Dew evokes so many memories for me, it was my aunts signature scent, she wore it everytime I saw her, as a child I thought it was strong but comforting. Before she passed away, she bought me a bottle of Youth Dew and I wore it when I was young, not really caring what it smelt like. I just wanted to smell like my aunt again....Anyway, enough of me ranting.....

I hadn't sniffed Youth Dew in years since I finished that bottle off and I decided to finally give it a proper testing. It is a complete diva of a scent! It's strong and powerful. I can really smell the aldehydes, incense, spices and balsam.
It's strange because as a child I remember how comforting and warm this scent was yet now when I smell it, it is quite different. I can imagine a woman in her fifties/sixties wearing a fur shrug, bright red lipstick and walking with her head held high. Youth Dew is for people that like to get noticed and are unapologetic for how loud their perfume is. I often smell this on women in their seventies or eighties and they always overspray, which is the main problem. My aunt used it very sparingly and that's why it smelt quite good.

Youth Dew will always have a place in my heart however, I personally would not wear it. I'm not bold, a diva or loud enough to wear this but I can see many people loving it. I will give my advice and say, you appreciate it more when used sparingly.

drummagick
drummagick

In almost 40 years of loving scents, I have never found an Estee Lauder perfume that I liked. I only started buying perfumes (vintage only) again this year, and discovered Fragrantica. I had read the reviews on Youth Dew and it sounded like something I might enjoy. I was at Macy's earlier this week having an intensive smellathon (there was not one perfume I felt called to try on my skin btw, sad state of affairs) and I saw the Youth Dew bottle at the Estee Lauder counter. I tried a little on paper and it smelled sort of interesting. I knew from reading here that the vintage had to be better, and the bath oil best of all.

So when I saw some small bottles of vintage bath oil for sale I ordered one. It came today and OMG this smells INCREDIBLE!! I put a tiny dab on the back of my left hand as soon as I got out of the post office and had my hand up to my face all the way home. Not only that, but the sillage, the scent on my skin at a slight distance, smells almost exactly like Opium the year it was launched. Not even the 1980s and certainly not anytime later. I had my first bottle in 1977 and by the time I bought my second bottle in 1981 or so, it had already been reformulated. This brings to mind the incredibly rich, deep scent of the original Opium.

I'm going to leave it as it is today, but tomorrow evening I'm going to try layering a drop with a couple drops of the reformulated Opium I got earlier this year and was so disappointed with. I see that Josh1985 layers it with patchouli oil in the winter. I have some amazing aged patchouli from 1998, I want to smell that too.

I think maybe I'll go see if the other 2 bottles of this are still available, I may need another one. :)

eta: Had to order a bottle to be sent to my 24 year old daughter in Portland, she is a big Opium fan, she's gonna love this. :D

ets2: Daughter LOVES the Youth Dew!

GoodVibrations

Youth-Dew cologne was cited by Joan Crawford as one of her favorites in her 1971 book "My Way of Life." Apparently the star and EL were friends.

suhaesa
suhaesa

youth dew was the masterpeice that bridget the american perfume industry to the euopen continent..from my point of view i find it an all time classic, that will stand the test of time. its so mysterious, dark, woody ,amberry, musky, spicy ,oriental in heart and soul, yet with a neo politain flair..its simply a classic ..and yes,there are many who find it too strong, and it is ...but in a good way.. i mean look at all those new perfumes that you can hardly smell,l0 min after you apray them . if you want a long lasting perfume, with a character, and a body ,and an emese silage, its youth dew..maybe the name youth is contradictory it how it smells ,its a mature cent ..it does remind me of the early 20 or 30 maybe i can only imagine that thats how the nobelity smelt like.. but dont get me wrong, i still think it fits any era it lives in. there will always be youth dew lovers, and i am one of them..proudly.. and i am sure many people who live in the far east middle east aware by its magic.. for they ware black abayas or cloak on top of their clothing ,and this type of clotting requires certain strong scents that will counter act the black dye smell of the clothes they ware..any way also its humid and hot so light perfumes don't last so youth dew ,cynebar, opium, coco, all those sorts of scents fit perfectly those places and people..also in winter nights it can warm you up.. for its almost a furnace burning with sensuality and black woods..i love the bath oil even more its a bit sweeter
youth dew is and will always be an icon in the perfume world..its a true perfumers perfume..yes old fashioned but made with love and passion that shall never wither with time it has crossed the boundaries of race or gender its a universal perfume fit for a queen..

rating 4.3 out of 5

scentedkub
scentedkub

My mom used to wear Youth Dew when she was younger in the 70s and my grandmother would buy it for her. My grandmother passed away a few years back and last year my mom mentioned how her mom would give her Youth Dew and how she loved it. My mom and my grandmother were very close, and I know how much she misses her during the holidays, so I knew I had to get her a bottle for Christmas. Thanks to this site, I knew to avoid what was being sold in stores as Youth Dew since the formulation had been changed. I took to eBay and was able to procure a vintage bottle for a good price. Although my mom got plenty of other gifts that year, that bottle brought tears to her eyes and I knew it meant a great deal to her. Not much a review; I don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been said. More like a "thank you"!

mi-jo.sayegh
mi-jo.sayegh

The first time I tried this I was indifferent about it, I did not understand what the fuss was about , either way. The day I tried it was hot and humid and this just sort of smelled like cola and nothing more. Today I tried it and it smells of a wonderful balsam , incense and soap mixture, on me not overly sweet and not loud at all. I bought it of course and must say I have a new love !

exciter76
exciter76

I have a very old bottle of this. It might be older than some of you, dear young members of Fragrantica. It’s old. Saying it aloud, it sounds like a putrid bottle of an already hideous fragrance. I promise you, it is better today than it was when I first acquired it.

I got it when I was eighteen (you can probably figure out my age based on my user name, and thus, can extrapolate an age of the bottle); my grandmother gave it to my mother and my mother passed it off to me. When I was in my teens I obsessed on having random bottles of perfume—whether or not I liked the perfume was completely irrelevant. This was one of those bottles. I hated the stuff when I was eighteen but I told my grandmother I loved it. I got in the habit of wearing it whenever I went to visit her and in that time my relationship with Youth Dew progressed from disgust to mellow indifference. Skip ahead about ten years to a forgotten bottle that has sat in cold, dark abandon. Many J’adore and Coco bottles later I’d forgotten about it. Strange, considering it is an unforgettable fragrance.

This is going to sound contradictory but it stinks. I love it but it does reek of something mentholated and heavily medicated—I’ll bet the balsam and various greens are to blame for this. Yet, there is something soothing in that muscle relaxant cream scent. It’s strong and for many, it’s hard to stomach. Luckily, as the years have passed, my aged bottle has lost much of its medicated smell and mellowed to a deep, dark, decadently spiced amber.

Think of this fragrance as a vintage article of clothing—maybe a fuzzy carnation pink cardigan—from the 1950s. It takes a certain kind of man or woman to pull this off. It can be worn with irony or it can be worn with sincerity, in homage to a time passed. I rather fancy myself wearing it with a mix of irony and sincerity. Many comparisons have been made between YD and the spicy orientals of the 1970s and I’d say YD is the forerunner for these perfumes. It is in a class of its own but the similarities are definitely there. This fragrance unfurls ever so slowly, taking measured steps from first spray to last embers of sillage. And, oh, is this ever the sillage bomb!

I refuse to defend Youth Dew’s honor. It’s been around nearly sixty years and needs no words from me to protect its prestigious/infamous name. I do believe everyone should try it at least once, for history’s sake. If you acquire a taste for it, well, so much the better.

samloves
samloves

This is what all my aunties wore during the 70's. I was passed down a bottle and remember feeling very grown-up. Now to the scent. It was warm, rich, sensual and oriental. Longevity was excellent as was the silage. . It was very womanly. A real classic.

pfcs

Youth Dew was the first high quality fragrance I owned. I got a free sample included in a gift from an upscale department store when I was in college. I fell in love with it and have worn it a high percentage of the time for the last 42 years. I get many conmpliments, especially from men, when I wear it. The bath powder is the absolute best I have ever used. It set the standard for quality fragrance for me. When you get your clothes out of the hamper several days later and they still smell of it, that is a quality, lasting scent. Many modern fragrances that cost more hardly last until you get where you're going.
I've loved perfume my whole life, and have worn many, but this is the one I'm never without. I also love Spellbound, and used to love Cinnabar. Actually, I still do, but it seems much stronger than YD and I was once humiliated in a public place by a woman carrying on loudly about how much she hated it.
Others I have liked are My Sin, Ma Griffe, Joy, Tabu, Royal Secret, Jungle Gardenia, and on and on. Many of the modern perfumes are such low quality and don't last; they aren't worthy of the name.

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

Lady Luck has just paid me another visit! I found a vintage bottle of Youth Dew at an estate sale and it is half full! This smells so much richer than the juice currently being sold, that forgive me aficionados, I had put on my "dislike" list for reminding me of a Diet Coke.. The vintage still reminds me of Coca Cola but in a good way- think back to the glass bottled soda made with real cola syrup and lots of fizz. Now add expensive rum. Nothing flat or thin about it! This is an indulgence! I love it!

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This fragrance holds a very special place in my heart. This fragrance pretty much started my fragrance obsession at an early age of about 7. Did I wear this at age 7? No, of course not,however this was my Aunt's signature scent.

I would love to be babysat by my aunt, just so I could go into her room, which was so glorious and iconic to me, to spray this perfume on and feel like I was more grown than I was. I swear she was such a glamorous woman. This woman whose closet boasts with tons of outfits with beautiful flowing fabrics from the disco era. I would love to just get lost in her closet and see all these beautiful vintage finds. Furs galore!

I loved it! It felt like I could be transported back to that era. Hence, I am totally obsessed with the 70s today AND fragrance. Would I ever wear this today? I doubt it ,but the true essence of it reminds me so much of her and that lovely time.

Unfortunately she passed from breast cancer years ago but I'm lucky I can always smell this to take me back with her :)

zsukovacs
zsukovacs

I use this for long years now and the first smell ever I was not able to get bored of. So classic, so elegant... and is sweet only for the first touch. I can't wear sweet smells at all since everything smells even sweeter on my skin. But this one just gets more and more amazing... best is on my coat or a kerchief or clothes I was wearing days ago.

One can say this is grandma's smell, but I tell you: people usually never ask me which perfume I use, but when I wear Youth-dew, it happens to me all the time. :) I simply love it.

Umbrella Girl
Umbrella Girl

Much too heavy, spicy and sweet for me. Same reason I can't stand chai tea! Can't imagine smelling like that for hours on end - and it lasts a LONG time!

Betweenshades
Betweenshades

An unusual scent; one of my grandmother's sisters wore it, although I didn't realize that until I smelled it today. It's sweet and spicy and reminds me of women in long gloves and hair in up-dos. It's not a scent that fits me, but it's a true original that deserves respect and adoration, even if it never ends up in your personal wardrobe.

Nemosh
Nemosh

I can imagine that this is a perfume you love or hate.
There is no way in between. It is a thick long lasting scent. More suited for a mature woman.
I happen to fell in love with this classic perfume.
My advice would be try before you buy!

kateridelisle
kateridelisle

My grandmother wore this, my mother wore this, and I now wear it. It reminds me of all the wonderful women in my life who are truly classic.

missymary
missymary

Youth Dew does NOT make me feel youthful. It's the most misnamed perfume of all time.

I reluctantly admire the unnerving unabashed chutzpah of the stuff. It's the Hyacinth Bucket flanker of No.5. It flings itself into the occasion with no sense that it's a travesty of the class and style that it's trying so hard to imitate.

Youth Dew is a landmark perfume and it celebrates what goes wrong when perfume aims at creating the impression of Class; Class comes from good manners and sensitivity and social ease, not from overdone pretentious perfumes.

daniela3
daniela3

I’ve been trying to avoid any comment about old glories and historical masterpieces as I’ve always thought that they do not need as any irrilevant comments as mine, but not in this case. “De gustibus non disputandum est” (there is no disputing about taste) used to say the Latins ,whereas I believe that there are a lot of things to say about taste... Sometimes I’m puzzled to see how certain fragrances are still regarded (although they are impossibile to recognize after all the “diets”, “restyling” “reformulations” and so on) by people that fearing of being labelled as ‘cheap’ or not ‘refined’ enough regard them with a respect that those ‘poor ghosts’ of themselves, hardly deserve, nowadays. I believe that Y.D. should be considered with much more attention for a great number of reasons: first of all it’s a sort of ‘declaration of independence ’ from the European frags market (for instance I'm European) though its motherhood it’s not 100% sure, (probably Josephine Catapano) it was surely an American Nose and also an American creation as well; it is said to be the forefather (together with Cinnabar by the same Maison) of a long seller such as “Opium” by Y.S.L. ; it’s one of the few fragrances from the “past” to be quite faithful to the original version. It was a best-seller, cleverly created taking a bath oil as a model! - indeed many reviewers have written to preffer the latest to the former. It brought a sort of revolution as before its appearance American women used to use perfumes only on special occasions and when they did it was a French perfume to be chosen….
I find illogical when, from one side, people regret the loss of the original formulas of many compromised perfumes (from the past) so, they are pushed to run towards vintages or else, while there are still few (little!) available wonders that need only to be appreciated as they deserve. Of course Y.D. is not a common 'Eau de…' so that you can splash in it and after 2 hours you must repeat the same operation but the colour, the intensity, the sillage and the persistence are those of a frag of more than half a century ago. I love it because it’s a frag that suits me very well and strangely to the majority of the skins: miracle! I do normally prefer spending money on a good frag than on a dress, I own more than ...... bottles of perfume and Y.D. couldn’t be missing eventhough I’ve got also more expensive frags but not for that more precious than Youth Dew. I also appreciate its “modern” relative Y.D. Amber Nude I find that the choice of keeping both on the market is a clever one: it’s silly to hide a masterpiece in the name of a dull “modernity”.

veritech
veritech

This perfume is a co-worker's signature scent. She is much older than me, but she smells great. I thought this smelled more like a baby powder type( which I associate more for teens) than an older woman. I don't know why people don't like this. When I work with her she smells so good and it makes me a happier person just to be around her. To me, it's a warm pleasant fragrance and I'm glad to have discovered it through her.

vmzaneti

Hehe. It looks like my previous review of this scent evoked some angriness in a couple of users. Well, I'm not sorry about that.

A perfume review should only be a personal opinion about a particular scent, nothing more. But some people take it too seriously, they feel in need to post a prolix reply full of contradictions and redundancy trying too hard to convince those who doesn't agree with their opinion that they are ignorant or naive. You gotta take it easy, fellas.

It seems that this particular scent... Yuck, er... Youth Dew has a kind of "cult" idolizing fans. I mean, what is the big deal about being younger than Mrs. Estee Lauder? Does it mean that my negative review has no value? Thank God new people born everyday then, because they can try to change and evolve 57 year old unchangeable, obtuse and blunt points of view.

The funny thing is that the same person that idolize this creation because of tens of thousands of people who like it, bashes "Cool Water", wich also has ten of thousands of lovers. Why? Just because Cool Water had more overall acceptance? It can be over ripped-off nowadays but at the time of its release, it was a somewhat different offer created by Pierre Bourdon to the perfumery market. Why don't respect that?
Not liking Youth Dew doesn't necessary make anyone a Spears, Lopez, Banderas, Beckhams, Cool Waters frag lover too.

Maybe Cool Water isn't that "cult", and therefore, it's not that "cool" to show appreciation, just because too many people do. Maybe it would appear rarer and more intellectual grabbing some kylograms of manure, bottle it, and rub it on the skin, glorifying its extremely natural ingredients, fidelity of smell and uniqueness, and call it as a misunderstood masterpiece by the average Joes.

I don't really care about the history behind Estee Lauder's company, neither about the prolixism of some Youth Dew lovers reviews. The scent itself is pretty much like some of the reviews that praise it: pretentious, complicated, redundant, and offensive. In other words... something that tries too hard to justify why it stinks so badly.

I sure don't quite expect that all fragrances smell "please like me, i'm a candied girl", but I certainly expect that it doesn't smell "please dislike me".

Now it makes all the sense, some scents does fit perfectly some personalities. Go figure...

Well, for sure, between stinking and being naive, I choose the latter.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Youth dew is amazing spicy goodness with a buttery almost rum like backdrop, but its just not good on me - though it doesnt mention it in the notes this is heavy on Clove and along with Spellbound I get the frequent "Have you just been to the dentist?" or "does it smell like a dentists in here" comments on this.

benzippo
benzippo

For that someone who said that this perfume makes her 105, for goodness sake, this perfume was created in 1953, do you expect it to smell like those "please like me" candied girly fragrances that are everywhere nowadays? Ohh! Come on, give us a break...this will only show to the world, how naive you are.

lukkyme
lukkyme

how can we make our voice's LOUD enough 2 say . . . PLEASE STOP ruining the original formula's of classic's . . . . it doesnt bother me that they are putting out all these flanker's at all im sure there is a market for them BUT what about the ORIGINALS the classic's even if i was buying a flanker i would want 2 smell the original as a point of refference . . . although i 90%of the time would want the original also if they have not discontinued them they have took it upon themselves 2 re-formulate them with out even leting you know when you go hand over your money for a product i believe you have the right 2 know when its in the same box etc . . .that the company has changed the product & they have ALL done this 2 there original's esetee lauder- channel- christian dior-D&G--Y.S.L . . . . to me this is equivelant 2 going thru a beautiful lil historic town & bulldozing all the victorian & art decco home's down with all there charm & mature tree's & garden's & buliding cheaply made suburban track home's & bulldozing the cafe & boutique to throw down a strip mall & a starbuck's :( . . . . . it destroying HISTORY

Happy Spirit
Happy Spirit

This perfume is completely awful. It smells like something that's gone stale. I'm surprised it's such a huge seller still considering it smells like an old lady's furniture that's been locked up in a dusty attic for years.

Every few years I smell it to see if I've changed my mind. The answer is and will always be "no".

Yvondeko
Yvondeko

I like this fragrance for a long time, and it stay's the
same on my skin. Not every fragrance stay's the same when your getting older.... But this one does.

Lushylori
Lushylori

Youth Dew should be renamed>>>> "Make's me feel like I'm 105 dew" LOL
Sorry Youth dew fans but this one smells as if its perfume that has turned bad.
Very headache inducing. I tried to like it but my senses tell me NO NO NO!!! :)

romrom

I second that, it really is a Brilliant review by Nopasho. Youth-Dew is sophisticated, elegant, warm, inviting and very sexy fragrance. I love this fragrance and I've been using it on and off for the past 20 years and I dont think I will ever stop.

nopasho
nopasho

'Yuck dew' is the subtle review of a man who was probably conceived 20 years after Mrs. Estee Lauder, one of the great USA perfumers and one of the only US noses on the same level with France's great perfumers, conceived Youth Dew in 1953. 'Unbelievable repulsive' the same person says very informative.
Well mister, I go some news for you: me and a lot of other people, young and old, female and male, Americans, Europeans, Italians and Asians like this icon of modern perfumery. It is still in production after 57 years. Of course maybe you are right and the tens of thousands of people who like this perfume masterpice are wrong. But I always say: readers of this: judge for yourself.
Let's move on. 'Youth Dew' is an American perfumery groundbraking gorgeous fragrance. A bold masterpiece. And every letter of this praise is earned by 'Youth dew'. It is brash, unapologetic, a unmistakable fragrance with a Face. A Personality amongst fragrances. Everybody knows 'Youth Dew'.'Youth Dew' is a real balmy 'Spicebomb', a real one, 57 year later copied shamelessly by those Dutch money grabbers Victor and Rolf with their 'Spicebomb' as expensive and original as their 'Flowerbomb'. Those guys have great creative talents. Their next frag is called 'Fruitbomb'.
'Youth Dew' is opulent, grand, groundbreaking. It is incomparably wonderful. A real emotions and memories-trigger, a dreamweaver and dreamcatcher, a fragrance that makes you enjoy your smelling abilities and opens another door in your brain to a place full of joy, happiness, warmth, security, love, cozy intimacy and sheer joy. Pleasure and beauty in a bottle. That lasts for hours and hours. Contrary to most 'modern' scents who are a breezy 'two or three note candy' in a bottle. It is simple to be a 'nose' these days. Vanilla, fruit and sugar for the girls and lemon, vetiver and aquatic notes for the guys. And endless variations upon that. With different celeb names and faces to sell these variations on the same theme. Well, sorry. Instead of vats 'Cool Water', 'Aqua di Gio' and countless floral fruities, I'll take one drop of 'Youth Dew' any day. And one drop of 'Youth Dew' will probably last longer than a whole bottle of the aquatic males and female fruity florals.
'Youth Dew' is a high quality frag. The sillage is truly amazing, the longevity according to lovers AND haters, almost unending. That's a frag I like! Long lasting and radiant for hours, mixed and balanced to perfection.
So what does it smell like? Let's look at the notes.
Top: Orange, spices, aldehydes, peach, bergamot
Middle: Cinnamon, cassia, orchid, jasmine, ylang ylang, cloves, rose
Base: Tolu balsam, Peru Balsam, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver, incense.
As perfume lovers know, the quality, character and overall impression of a fragrance are strongly determined by the quality of the base notes. They keep the fragrance notes of middle and top on the skin, they make interactions between middle and top notes and between that middle-top and base possible. They are the engine that drives theinner workings of a fragrance and create (or don't create for the lesser frags) accelerations and slowings of the evolution of the separate notes, clusters of notes and the three tiers of the fragrance pyramid. They make the magic in a fragrance happen and keep it going and keep it lasting on the skin. So the stronger and more intricate the base, the better and stronger the fragrance. SO IF YOU LIKE YOUR FRAGRANCES SIMPLE AND LINEAR AND SHORT LIVED, STAY AWAY FROM 'YOUTH DEW'. And if you don't, you do so at your own risk. Don't complain later that you are repulsed! 'Youth Dew' (very bad name by the way, I give the 'YD' haters that) is a very complicated, dense but at the same the spacy, surprisingly and continually evolving fragrance. It is alive on the skin. And it is NOT Another Teen Frag.
Now a confession. Two times already I had to say in a review that this was 'the strongest base that I ever encountered' when I reviewed a fragrance. I have to recant again. 'Youth Dew' has the strongest base I ever met in a frag. Just look at that base! My goodness! Everything nice and spice and a whole lot of it. A Whole Lotta Love! Two balsams (resins): Tolu and Peru: bingo!, amber: bingo!, patchouli: bingo! oakmoss: bingo!, vanilla: bingo!, vetiver: bingo!, incense: bingo! An ace of a base: really, really great and strong. And that's the exceptional foundation of this equally exceptional 'Youth Dew' where the middle and top are built on and develop on. The top gives you creamy aldehydes and sultry peach, which are freshened up by the orange and the bergamot. And the spices make this top a not-too-heavy wonder of varied balance. Fruit and spice. The flowers arrive in the middle. And the most beautiful perfume combo of flowers it is: jasmine, ylang ylang, orchid, rose. Can you believe that fabulous flower combo? They don't make'em like that anymore. This fragrance therfor is not for wallflowers. This is breathtakingly take-no-prisoners 'flower power' allright! Then, when most modern frags would stop at two, three notes max, after these four flower gems we get treated in that same middle to two additional great spices: cinnamon and cassia: sweet and dry. To give it more depth and contrast. So that middle is sweet/dry spicy and floral. Unbelieveble strong base, fabulous middle and sultry-fresh (I know: a contrast that is harmoniously married by an expert nose) top. The total pic: a beautiful multifacetted diamond of a fragrance. Yes, an 'old lady diamond' for some, but diamonds are not only an 'old ladies friend', they are 'a girl's best friend'. And that girl is ageless IMHO.
First of all in that middle we smell the great contrasts and inner workings between the flowers and the spices: rose-cinnamon, jasmine-cassia, ylang ylang-cinnamon... gorgeous. Nowadays you get fragrances that are entirely built around only one of those contrasts. Here you have many of those contrasts in one and the same fragrance. Without getting murky and disharmonious. It is not a cacaphony or randly chose notes, but a mighty symphony that hits home with delicate force. And then we have the contrast and reactions against each other of the top notes-in-total between the middle-notes-in-total and on yet another level, these two (top and middle) playing with and against the formidable base. This is an intricate masterpiece by nose Jopsephine Catapano who also created the wonderful 'Fidji' and the legendary and also super 'Norell'). All those contrasts keep 'Youth Dew' as alive as Britney-on-speed. The skin smell changes with differnent peeks of fragance notes fusing and separating, pirouetting, playing hide and seek, giving suprise appearances as mystery guests during the long evolution on the skin. Because this frag is so high quality and strong, you can enjoy the evolution for hours and hours on your skin. And, on last level of this fragarnce evolution: your skin chemistry also gives its two cents and creates another set of olfactory suprises. So you constantly get caught by an unexpected whiff of spice, a floral note, an incense peek, vanilla visiting,resinous Tolu balsam letting itself known... it is truly perfume magic. This is so great, versatile, flexible, dens-in-a-good-way yet playful. But above all: beautiful, gorgeous and full bodied bliss. And all this created in 1953! Estée Lauder: you have my eternal respect.
So this fragrances is not for lovers of simple, sweet, linear frags that don't stay long on the skin. it is for people who love their fragrances non-too-sweet, intricate, living and evolving. Fruity-florals and aquatic male waters are a totally different world from fragrances like this. 'Opium', 'Coco'... have the same feel. I don't make no judgment. To each his or her own. But people who like 'Hidden Fantasy' or 'Believe' will propably in a first reaction not like 'Youth Dew' because they are not used to this kind of intricacy and concentration of different fragrance notes. Here you have to really smell the fragrance. It is no simple and cheap candystore and vanilla-fairy-tale frag. But if you give it a fair change, I'm sure you can have an authentic 'aha'-experience. And move on in the fragrance world. Explore new frags, discover old hidden treasures.
'Youth Dew' is an eternal gem in US perfumery, a landmark and remarkably contemporary now that more and more young people discover the 'classics' and realize that these 'old lady, repulsive' fragrances, are a whole different world away from their Britneys, Jessica's, Katy's, Mariah's, Banderas', Beckhams, Hiltons, Minogues... With 'Youth Dew' it is the fragrance that comes first, not the marketing and a celebrity name.
'Youth Dew' is a bad name for great fragrance. But a name is just a name. 'Fantasy', 'Radiance', 'Hidden Fantasy', 'Believe', 'Lollipop Bling Bling', 'Sexual Sugar Daddy'... it is just a name. It is the fragrance that counts. And 'Youth Dew' is one of the greatest fragrances ever made. Like it or leave it to others. Thank you for letting us enjoy in peace our 'old lady frags' without cheap empty insults.

fabodanilo
fabodanilo

LEÍ QUE ESTE ES EL PERFUME FAVORITO DE MADONNA SE DICE QUE USA CANTIDADES '' INDUSTRIALES '' DE YOUTH-DEW ...

vmzaneti

Unbeliaveably repulsive. A fragrance that could totally ruin a woman's first impression even if she is utterly gorgeous. This scent is comparable in intention to that kind of person who tries too hard to be naughty and seductive and end up screwing all the excitement, mistery, and intrigue involved in the process. It's just plain vile at the level of being even ridiculous.
I usually appreciate controvertial scents, like Kouros, for example. But I don't think Youth Dew is quite as well composed and balanced. It's too in your face in a bad way, and honestly it smells cheap.
I sprayed it on my skin and endured several hours of olfactory torture trying hard to like it, but ended giving up and asking myself how could anyone wear this stinker.

Maybe the scent did not like my male skin?

Anyway... Yuck Dew: definitely a turn off!

lily13ana

I just received this half hour ago, and i understand why people say it smells old lady's, but i like it.At the very beginning this smells like a cheap deodorant, something like Impulse ,and also little masculine, but this sensation desapears very quick so don't worry. 1 or 2 squirts are ok with me. After few moments i pick up incense(but i havent seen this note on the list of ingredients), no flower by now....I bought it unsniffed. On another site a woman said that on her this is like kenzo jungle, but is not at all. I will come back to complete this review later, to see the longevity and the developement...
I bought the edp, reformulated version, i think...

Edit 4/02/'12
I tried this again last night after a shower. It lasted more than 12 hours. Second time it didn't smelled cheap, I perceived this like something mistique, out of this world, not dated or old lady at all. The smell doesnt change very much, but it's calming down after 2 hours of going strong. After 4 or 5 hours it stays close to the skin. I like it very much, but it's not my favourite.
Edit: This smells very expensive and it makes me feel sophysticated, and i would use this often if it wouldn't smell so earthy(like mud) in the drydown, sometimes.

Scarlette

Wonderful Jacqueline just gave a GREAT tip...if you take YD Bath Oil, and overlay Coco EDP, it smells just like the vintage Coco! Heaven.

I tried it, and although it isn't exact, I think if the oil is done very lightly, they are very close.

I enjoy today's version.

keakea
keakea

Back in the 80's, this is the what I, and all of the other girls in my highschool, use to buy at Christmas time so we could qualify to buy Estee Lauder's Gift Makeup Sampler! Youth Dew was the cheapest thing you could buy at the Estee Lauder counter in the department stores - $14.99! Then, if you forked over only $10 more you could get this HUGE Makeup kit that included everthing a teenager girl needed for the year! $25 and you were set to go!!!! Nobody actually wore it though...it reminded us of our Grandmothers!!!

lily13ana

I read on the official site of EL and consummers are complaining about the reformulation.
Now, on their site the composition looks like this:
Fragrance Type: Oriental/Spicy

Spices

Moss
Vetiver
Patchouli

Are this all the notes that this perfume have, or they missed something? I really want to know because based on the reviews here and the notes i want to buy it, and due to the fact that i dont have where to test it i have to rely on this. So please make an update to the notes so people know what they are buying because i find unforgivable that such a masterpiece has been modified.

KatyK
KatyK

Something has changed here - and I am not sure if it's the YD or me! This has been around since I was a child and at the time had the image of being the fragrance that strong independent women bought for themselves and gloried in it's deep powerful presence. So I have positive associations from way back and now I find it's still strong and warm but to my nose not as aggressive as it used to be - one of us has mellowed. Opened a new bottle today (which I bought myself) and I still love it! It's the perfect scent for a cold winter day and makes me feel an echo of the strength of those amazing women I admired when I was a kid. Estee Lauder - still great value for money and still making women feel fabulous.

The_Entity
The_Entity

From the bottle, I can understand why most people would either love or hate it. I know alot of older women who say "I hate youth dew, reminded me of my mother in law"...but on my skin...I love!, this one is my Estee Lauder favourite, followed by Spellbound

Gazelle Ladani
Gazelle Ladani

beautiful and natural from temple!its a strong perfume. can live long with me with faithful smell!

iill1986
iill1986

I close my eyes...

...1953
The girl's waist slender, her skirt ripples mildly- young and beautiful- a deep, spicy fragrance embraces her.

The news speaks from the radio:
J.F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Lee Bouvier got married in the morning.
A well-known song start- Perry Como
"Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes"
The girl's hip starts swinging, steps the rhythm.

This for me- the "Youth-Dew"

Strongly spicy, deep, warm, and never ending fragrance.

sillage: 10/11
longevity: 10/11

thinknice
thinknice

Someone said it right on this list of reviews that for a generation obsessed with anything vintage, it is a shame they don't appreciate this scent. I too encountered this scent on my grandmother's vanity. She cherished this gift from given to her by my mother every Christmas. My grandmother was poor and couldn't afford such luxuries and always loved her youth dew. When i was 27 my mother knew I too wanted this perfume so she bought it for me. This is a scent that will always remind me of them both.

The scent is a bit spicy and heavy. That's what I love about it. It lasts forever on my skin without smelling like I bathed in it. It gets softer the longer you wear it. No doubt about it, this smells vintage and is perfect for a cold winters night.

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

To start im just going to write what i love about it!
-a brand new bottle looks aged like a 50 year old vintage, stunning on my vanity
-it smells amazing, like tabu but less animalistic and warmer (i do love tabu also, would recommend this to someone who wants tabu but more rounded)
-its not subtle, so sue it! I want to be heard, seen, understood, and smelled! Hopefully not coming off of the elevator though. Its bold and powerful like a good fume should be so go easy
-its a freakin bargin, 32 american for a bottle YES PLEASE
-its versatile, whereas tabu takes on the persona of a whore that dana made it for, this one can be musky and sexy but also take on the power of chanel no5, or could just be a nice dark regal scent to wear around the house in almost nothing. I feel like this is how Elizabeth Taylor would have smelled when she was just wearing a white slip all the way through cat on a hot tin roof. It has a relaxed powdery facet that can work that way too.

I find it so ironic that with all of today's revival of retro glamour (particularly everyone looking like Bettie Page) that no one appreciates the vintage scents. Believe it or not one day scents like angel or prada candy will be labeled old and stinky by a generation with far too narrow pallettes so be receptive to all thats out there and dont just vote dislike because you dont understand what it is youre smelling, you may miss out :-)

Tulip211
Tulip211

A scent you smell, and realize you already know it. This is a million aunts at a family reunion, a wedding you were at when you were 12, a room full of coats at a party. It's nostalgic and familiar. It smells like the past. It smells like my youth indeed...and guess what? I like it!

I think this needs to be applied sparingly. Also, it smells very vintage and waxy. Think of a crayon box,in a musty attic full of roses... where people light incense and hold seance's. It's that wonderfully strange.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

Reading the reviews on this one has been interesting.

I first encountered Youth Dew on my grandmother's dressing table. I was about twelve then. I thought it was very strange, heavy, and the name suggested something awfully biological...

Three years later, I was given a makeup kit made by Estee Lauder that included ( well what do you know )
a small bottle of Youth Dew. I was eager to use the makeup, but a little hesitant to try the fragrance. But...I did. And surprise! I liked it.

Youth Dew is indeed strong, and like other perfumes with this trait,is better sprayed on a cotton ball and then dabbed on sparingly. But the payoff is in the drydown, when the fragrance melds with the skin's unique chemistry and and becomes a fragrant shadow lending an aura of warmth and richness to the wearer.

Perhaps because of this experience, I became convinced that fragrance is something that crosses the barriers of age and gender: try coloring outside the lines every once in awhile. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Youth Dew is a lovely fragrance.

SuperPookie
SuperPookie

This is my favorite perfume. It's a classic & I always feel sexy when I wear it.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is an absolutely wonderful heavy-hitting oriental in the opium mould, which, were it not so recognisable on a whole generation of women, should be a must in every oriental fans wardrobe.
Personally, I have no connotations with this fragrance though I remember smelling it on people over the years.
I put it on today after disliking it on previous wearings. After trying a slew of mega expensive, over rated niche perfumes, I felt like this one had that real warm blooded feeling - like another person had walked into the room, and handed me a glass of brandy. This is up there with the best and wonderful fragrances like Ambre Russe and others, owe it a massive debt. Rich, cosy, forceful and powdery, this is on my list.

Johari
Johari

This was a gift from my grandmother in the mid-eighties. It was a very elegant scent, but it didn't resonate youth to me. I LOVED the bottle much more than the scent. I wore the perfume on some Sundays and holidays. It caused much attention. It lasted for years!

jazmam
jazmam

LMAO @ faceon, You may have just convinced me to give this a try as well as lol. I worked in Macy's as a ''floater'', a estee lauder girl just lost her dad and wasn't going to be at work for weeks, so they kindly gave me her spot until she returned. And youthdew was the first I smelled, because the name (at the time being of 21'ish yrs old) gave me the creeps I had to find out what this vile looking brown stuff smelled like, and at the time I nearly choked, but soon was shocked to see how many actually came in to still buy this dinosaur/classic. I believe my nose has developed much since then, and would love to give it another try, I feel like I may be missing out on something wonderful, like the kid that does't want to go to sleep for fear they will miss something great, lol........and yes ..loved your comment

CozyCat
CozyCat

Wow. My head was spinning in ecstasy when I sniffed this, I feel like I've known this scent forever. If it had a color it would be a very deep jewel-toned shade of brown. This is possibly the sultriest stuff my nose has ever chanced upon. Dark, rich, mysterious, ambery, resinous, like an indulgent femme fatale from another time and place. This scent really transports me. It has that cozy/old-world/spiritual feel to it. It first envelopes you in its intoxicating haze and then softly penetrates you with its rich balsamic, spicy warmth, deep into the core of your soul. Discovering this gem is like stumbling across a secret door in an old dilapidated house, you open it and find a chest full of precious old jewellery, frayed and yellowed pages from unread diaries filled with poetry and hidden secrets and sins. The ultimate dead-of-winter fragrance, so rich and comforting. Sadly for me, the weather is warm all year round in these parts, and I know I would suffocate many if I wore this out, but I will get myself a mini for my private sniffing pleasure.

taboo2287

OMG, the bath oil smells wonderful i am wearing it today it's the beginning of winter here and this heavenly oil is wrapping me up with a blanket of luxurious smell, and for the reformulation thing let's not panic it might be not that bad, when they reformulated Opium i was afraid that i would have to say goodbye to one of the most talked about scents from ysl so i tried the new opium and boom the baby is still there but in a softer more subtle way, i hope they keep it the same with the lovely/legendary Youth Dew (pleaseeee Estee Lauder fellas) <3

mystica

I have learned that Youth Dew has been reformulated- (confirmed by the company, check the reviews at their website please.)

Well I don't know what to say, I haven't yet got over the reformulation of Opium, and now my second favorite Youth Dew... Maybe it's not already available at stores, I just have to go and see with my bottle of original Youth Dew so as to compare. They say that the liquid is much lighter -almost transparent colored- in the new Youth Dew, and that it smells different also...

So what's next?... Aromatics Elixir? The last real unadulterated, unchanged perfume de la perfume for me?

Hoping that Clinique hasn't yet committed such a crime (and by my knowledge they didn't), I think I will forget the Youth Dew and buy some AE when I go to the store, gradually stocking it to last till the end of my life. This time I will be clever.

revlisa.dippo
revlisa.dippo

Now, I find Cinnabar to be warm, cozy, spicy, elegant, etc...but THIS stuff to me smells like some sort of ancient medication or muscle rub (haha)...I don't at all detect any of the yummy elements of the perfume pyramid as described above....which to me coincide more with the Cinnabar description...

pippab
pippab

Yes, the bath oil used as a dab on is IT! I've been wearing it on and off for the best part of 35 years, and it always draws huge compliments. Dark and mysterious with incredible projection and staying power. It's totally distinctive and one of the few non-French fragrances that I love.

zoebo1403
zoebo1403

I wear this in the vintage EDC version and love it. Its smooth and velvet like, no harsch notes whatsoever. Just a dab on my pulse and in my neck and i feel like a woman who has it all ; )

SensualistGeek
SensualistGeek

The only way to wear Youth-Dew is in bath oil form. I fully agree with rainbow.owl2 below... the bath oil is incredible - so rich, velvety and luxurious. I definitely think it's a far smoother and less cloying composition than the EdP. It's very, very affordable and in many ways the best concentration, too - it wears like an extrait. In fact, Mrs. Lauder initially only sold it in bath oil concentration because women at the time thought it inappropriate and lavish to buy perfume for themselves. The bath oil was something they could invest in for bath or personal wear.

Wintertime + Bedtime + Youth-Dew bath oil = perfection. Try it.

3ood
3ood

on some people it smells alright , on me it gives me a headache and by the way it doesn't smell youthful .

jtd
jtd

Be careful wearing a perfume made almost entirely of basenotes. A little bergamot can hardly be heard behind the heavy amber/vanillic /spice stage curtain. Likewise, a bit of aldehyde can’t lift the 500 pound gorilla. Dense and proud, sister Youth Dew.

This stuff must have been a spectacular accessory in the good-girl/bad-girl, loud-subtext barbarity of the mid 20th century.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Not a review, but a funny anecdote: I find it amusing when popular culture pays homage (or pokes fun at) perfumes - it's a testament to their staying power and the spell by which they captivate many of us. It's something that we 'get' as a culture because we know what a certain scent is, and the memories it brings to us.

In an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (the cult TV series where a guy and his three robots watch really bad films and make fun of them in silhouette in a theater), Youth Dew is mentioned. The film that they were lampooning was an awful 80's Canadian 'sci-fi/action' film called 'Final Sacrifice'. In one scene, our young protagonist is visited by his noticeably dowdy, pestering middle-aged aunt, who has appropriately big hair and a bit too much make-up. As she finishes her scene, she exits and one of the robots comments, 'Great, now my room reeks of Youth Dew.' When the scene aired, the bulletin boards were alive with questions asking 'what the heck is Youth Dew??'

I think the irony (of course) is that Youth was probably the last word one would have used to describe this actress or her role - and I have to say that to this day, the name 'Youth Dew' immediately reminds me not of someone youthful, but someone standing at the side of the Fountain of Youth looking very hopeful.

But as I said, this wasn't a review, just an anecdote. I promise I'll take a whiff of this scent and write a proper review sometime :-)

rainbow.owl2
rainbow.owl2

I have loved Youth Dew for a long time, but recently decided to buy the BATH OIL (to use as perfume) after reading recommendations on Fragrantica.

My dears, it is lovely. Smooth, rich, gorgeous. Like the Youth Dew that (some) of us love, but better in every way. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It's quite cheap, why not give it a try? If you're not keen, you could always use it as bath oil...

BTW - I have always received many compliments when wearing Youth Dew & had NO IDEA it was so disliked until joining Fragrantica. Just goes to show how important skin chemistry is! The very first time I used the oil my mother complimented me upon it.

derkargy
derkargy

It reminds me of a rancid body oil,been consumed since the last century.Maybe it's the tolu balsam that makes the difference.

taboo2287

if you are a fan of flowery candy scents DO NOT come close to YD, this is a mature, seductive, luxurious type of perfume, it starts strong and shocking but then it cools down into a beautiful warm cozy scent... simply LOVE it ;)

I.I

Simply disgusting! The worst perfume I've ever smelled...ever! This perfume is very heavy and very old fashioned in a bad way.
How one views a perfume is a personal case but imho this perfume is suffocating.

amberose
amberose

My daughter thinks this smells like coca cola but I find it a bit strong for my taste, too spicey.

Anajuli
Anajuli

What is "youth" in this fragance?

krmarich
krmarich

Youth Dew laid a foundation for American perfume. When it was launched, it was trendy and sexy. Every mom on the block wore it with smart dresses, and heels. It was the first real office scent as women began entering the workforce. It became popular in Europe and still sells well today.

The big dark ambery spices rocked! It had big sillage and lasted for hours. The heavy oriental had not been seen like this since Tabu. It became popular again thanks to Youth Dew. This became the fragrance that women began buying for themselves and enjoying.

How the times have changed. From todays light syntheic standard, YD is a fossil fragrance, unfit for even old ladies. The scent hasnt changed, just our perspective towards it. There will come a time when it becomes popular again. It and Tabu resurfaced after Opium was launched. I cannot wait until the next oriental craze!

DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor
DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor

I HATE THIS FRAGRANCE. Bad luck for me! I had lots of bad experiences while wearing it, so bad memory association is also too blame along with the horrid moldy moss wet forest manly poohy (fecal) smell. Most people do not care for this strong at first but little staying power scent. It is masculine and just offensive. I am sorry I wasted $35 on this monster.
I imagine a musk rat dragging it's filthy bottom across the swamp floor might smell like this. Just add a bit of cinnamon?
The bath oil is really beautiful though (in 1 or 2 drops at the most).

MizLiz
MizLiz

Can you believe that I fell in love with Youth Dew when I was a 20-year-old college student? It's true! I never went through the vanilla-candy-fruit perfume phase (except for a brief dalliance with Warm Vanilla Sugar that I would like to forget). My perfume-wearing history looks like this: Bath and Body Works Juniper Breeze - Tommy Girl - Opium - Chanel No. 5 - Miss Dior - Youth Dew - everything I could get my hands on. And for reference, I'm in my late 20s now. I find Youth Dew rich and beautiful, with its spicy, resinous notes. The EdP is a little overpowering, but the bath oil is perfect. Youth Dew, a 1950s fragrance through-and-through, makes me want to sit up a little straighter whenever I wear it. I think my grandmother wore it back in the day, and I am carrying on the family tradition!

katrosado
katrosado

I wear the bath oil of Youth Dew. I apply it after shower but before drying off. I intend to purchase the body powder to use as well.

I had to grow into this fragrance. Literally. When I was younger it was overpowering for me, and it wore me instead of me wearing it. The aldehyde in the spray is over the top and I adore aldehydes.

I prefer the bath oil because the spray has atomic sillage. I prefer to keep the scent closer to the skin so that one must lean into my fragrance rather than my fragrance enveloping them. I liken it to allowing someone to accept my embrace rather than me walking up to them and grabbing them in a very tight bearhug---unawares.

The dry down on this for me is resinous and balsam and fine patchouli, not your 70's headshop patchouli but rather a soapy more blunt patchouli. This is a fragrance that one must test before purchasing. Most definately.

Scarlette

Miss Filthy is right...da boyz love da bath oil!! I have a love/like relationship with YD. Love the deep/spicy/smoky/dark/cola. Lots of character....use only a little. **OIL ONLY!** Best for eves/cooler weather.

MissFilthyGorgeous
MissFilthyGorgeous

Men adore Youth Dew!! I'm personally not that struck on the EDP (as is the main opinion on here),however the Bath Oil (which doubles as a dab-on) and also the divine Dusting Powder (the box alone is sheer vintage!) are just fabulous.
Only last month, I was wearing the tiniest of dabs of the oil, and a very light dusting of the powder and 3 (no less!!) quite hunky men commented whilst I was only in the supermarket!!
Also,just a few drops of the oil into your bathwater, and you can smell the fragrance throughout the house...stunning!

Jomoves

This is one of those fragrances that everyone describes as “old lady”, and they’re right. It’s something that a crazy old woman who has 100 cats and wears furs and diamonds in summer would wear. The kind of old lady who in her youth had an affair with a sheik, dipped her toes in the Nile, woke up in satin sheets on the French Riviera, owned a pet peacock named Oscar and dressed her first baby in a purple silk turban.

It’s the same scent this young woman put on to listen to the radio, then shocked people by dancing barefoot to a brass band all night when the end of the war was announced. It’s the perfume she applied to read telegrams from her lovers, sprayed on letters to her husband, and dabbed on her kittens before breakfast.

Yep, this is the smell of an old lady all right. And what an old lady she is.

olga1780
olga1780

I remember about 4 years ago I was wrinkling my nose just from sniffing the cap and wondering why on earth someone would want to smell like this. Tonoght i am absolutely in bliss wearing it and find it very sexy and seductive. I would call its richness intoxicating, only for real women with a strong personality.

reignydaze
reignydaze

I adore Youth Dew. A dense, heavy oriental that transports me back to time when women were proud to be women and not stiving to be young girls. Sexy and seductive when used with a light hand and a show stopper when bathed in. A very warm winter fragrance deep and rich. All you pink fluffy creatures watch out there's a diva about.

I.I

I don't know, maybe it works for other people, I personally like floral, sweet and powdery perfumes.
It caused me naucia and it's the first perfume to bring such results to me.
I really can't believe that it is Estee Lauder's, I find pleasant most of Estee Lauder's perfumes.
I could only think of an aged lady wearing this and only in the night, this perfume is not for the daylight.
It actually stinks. Very very heavy, nothing elegant, fresh, sweet or playfull, or sensual for sure.
At least this is what I'm getting from this perfume.

anniebeck
anniebeck

This reminds me of the seventies when I was a teenager and it was the one to wear... I asked what a friend had on the other day and she said youth Dew..was supprised!!! I must admit I like it but just feel its had its day but now have to admit have bought some body lotion...lol I shall be a secret youth Dew wearer!!!!!to take me back to my youth and wow it was a smell and half then.

calyx93
calyx93

Exquisite in the vintage bath oil format - rich, warm, animalic, enveloping. Very much in the same vein as Opium parfum, except this one holds the precious note of fur (both the fur worn around the neck and the "fur" covering our naughty bits).

The EDP is really very strong and the aldehydes assault you right out of the bottle - the oil tames these harsh elements and slowly lets the fragrance unfold, but still in an intense manner. It literally melts into your skin and becomes a part of you - very sensual and very wicked too. The vintage version really has some deep musks that just don't exist in the oil of today. Still, if you have to buy new Youth Dew, try the bath oil first.

I'm swooning!

(BTW - I've found that the vintage bath oil is one of the few perfumes that seem to remain relatively unchanged over time - meaning that if you find a bottle, it's most likely NOT to be spoiled by age.) Now off to eBay to all of you!

Mandana
Mandana

Possibly the worst perfume I have ever tried! The name alone: what has this strong incense-inspired perfume got to do with youth? Droplets of youth? Sorry, there is nothing youthful about this perfume at all IMO! All I got from the tester was this extremely powerful headache-inducing stench of something I can only describe as old moth-balls doused in lighter fuel and sprayed with strong air freshener and then left to sit in a mouldy heap of old clothes for months. Its the kind of perfume you get for Christmas from an elderly but well-meaning Aunt; a perfume you would probably never wear under the age of 85! You could clear a concert hall in seconds by spraying Youth Dew! I cannot imagine what woman it could appeal to, sorry. My grandmother hated the smell. The perfume has almost given me a black-out and has definitely zapped my imagination! But I have to say it has been around for so long, that someone somewhere must like it.....?

judymeye
judymeye

I just love the fragance of Youth Dew..has been my favorite for over 25 yrs...just love its smell and makes me feel so good ....

Louw
Louw

I normally love orientals, and I've tried very hard to like Youth Dew but no matter how I try I always find it too strident. Somehow it seems out of balance, as though it's trying too hard to be sexy and musky. All I get is a muddle of musk and amber, which overpowers all the other notes that should be in there to give the fragrance character. No, not for me, I'm afraid.

NancyL
NancyL

Estee's Cinnabar was my signature scent many years ago when I was a youth and "dewy" college coed, and perhaps my memory is off but wasn't that fragrance originally introduced as "Youth Dew Light" by the company? I haven't found any vintage ads stating this, but I would swear it was listed as such on the box of my first bottle of Cinnabar. Many years ago my then future ex-husband bought me an anniversary gift bottle of Youth Dew by accident, and probably for that very reason. I still have that Youth Dew, it's classic little bow is a bit droopy, the bottle contents barely touched, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. And after all this time my bottle hasn't gone "off", which is quite a testament to it because it even survived sitting in my hurricane damaged, no A/C home for two months after Hurricane Katrina in 2005! It must still be loved by some, because when a friend was going to sell her bottle at a yard sale, it was stolen and the thief literally ran off with it!

Queen of perfumes...

Deep, dark, warm, hot, comforting, sexy, holy, gothic, vintage, nostalgic, just a perfect fragrance...

I hope they never reformulate it!

This is another classic that might remind you of the 70s and 80s. To me it brought out a massive deep amber note which I did not like. It's too intense, too fierce and too "old lady" for me - sorry.

StarMagix
StarMagix

Tried and true vintage perfume. I do love this scent. I do not wear it very often however as it is quite strong and only smells great when it is frosty outside. It has it's rightful place in our history of scents and I do have a bottle and use it when I have the need.

babyphat2011
babyphat2011

This scent was like the smell of snunk that someone tried to mask with perfume. UGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! I hate this scewnt. It reminds me of sweet skunk smell, sweet smelling gas for a car or from you know where, insceticide. These are aromas I think of with this scent. Obsession smells nothing like that, nothing smells like that ----! Please already, retire it & forget this was ever created.

Rosemary_Ann
Rosemary_Ann

I really dislike this perfume and could never wear it. If I am by someone who is wearing it I find it so heavy that I can actually taste it all day :(

Convict13
Convict13

I did have some of this a number of years ago, but it was one of the only fragrances that I owed that I had to throw away because it went off.

onebadbaby
onebadbaby

This is my mums signature scent- she has worn it for years. It is a fragrance from a time gone by, and it may be worn by old ladies now, but those old ladies were once young and vibrant women- times and fashions for scents have changed- this is powerful stuff! I am sure we will all love this again one day, when we tire of the fruity, fluffy, pinky, soft and watery fragrances of the current time, it's just that this kind of fragrance is not the fashion at the moment making it seem 'an old lady scent'.

TillyWave
TillyWave

Review for the bath oil: (I can't compare to the perfume, since I have no experience with it.)

First of all--I really like the idea of perfume oil. If you think that this is simply scented oil, you're wrong. This is concentrated Perfume Oil. A few things about that: YD bath oil is a great deal, I think it's $38 for two ounces. When I first bought this, I made the mistake of applying liberally to every conceivable pulse point after a shower. That was WAY too much to put on! I was almost knocked cold by the strength. YD oil does not die down after 30 minutes or an hour, either. This is some long lasting, potent stuff.

So the way to wear this is extremely sparingly. I would treat this as some sort of parfum extrait, where a few small drops can be distributed to wrists, behind the ears, etc. and you will have a gorgeous scent that will last all day.

Another thing: I really simply love the delivery itself. I guess I have so many spray perfumes that I am interested in another 'perfume delivery device' so to speak. This is a dark and fragrant elixir, and so potent that it will fill the air around you when you put in on. After a steamy shower or bath it it kind of has a secretive, magical quailty. I WISH more companies would formulate bath oil concentrations of their perfumes. It's a really great way to wear perfume.

Okay so the perfume: This is a dark and rich oil, filled with resins, deep wood flowers, incense, frankinsense & myrrh, something even camphorous, and the like. I rather like aldehydes but that part of the perfume seems to be missing, the oil goes straight to the heart and base. The charactger is sweet in a way that reminds me of an old fashioned Christmas: Scented Candles burning, oranges with cloves in them, lots of freshly cut pine wreaths, flowers sent as presents, and of course a giant tree.

Worn in the right amounts I think this would smell beautiful on an (open-minded, I guess it would have to be)teenager, a woman in her twenties or thirties, and beyond.

Anyway if you ccan't tell I really like everything about this and I highly recommend at least trying it if you like this sort of thing.

Chanelette
Chanelette

This scent is not an old lady, not at all. It's a woman in her late twenties, refined, elegant, broad minded, a bit stubborn, a bit of a rebel. She's been through a lot of tough stuff and now she knows well who she is and what's good for her. She seems a kind of distant but she's always kind.
She seems complicated at first, an overhelming mix of fruit sweetness, green bitterness and dark incense basenotes - it smells almost medicinal. And it actually must be treated as if it were a medicine - in VERY small doses! After an hour, the fruit notes seem to completely disapear and it settles down to a surprisingly tender, spicy green scent with a beautiful oakmoss drydown. WARNING!!!IF YOU WEAR MORE THAN TWO SPRITZES PEOPLE AROUND YOU MIGHT WANT TO KILL YOU!

Gingerwoman
Gingerwoman

I'm a person who often likes orientals love Opium, Obsession and Cinnabar but this one seems gross though I can't say I've got past a sniff in the shop.

Fonna
Fonna

Well, from a person who still wears Chanel #5, and Wind Song, I must tell the truth.
Many older people wear this scent, during the Holiday seasons, I mean , they really pour it on, that you want to run away from it, but you can't.
Very intoxicating, in a bad way.
It reminds me of a well dressed old lady, who has lost her sense of smell.
It is a very, very strong fragrance.
Maybe if they come out with a Youth Dew Super Light or something.

perfume rocks
perfume rocks

Well i really hate to give bad reviews but here it goes...the only good thing about this perfume is it reminds me of my 86 year old Granny she has worn this for years and she is one of the best people on this earth..ok it makes me have a huge headache i cant describe how awful this scent is and honestly i really cant believe that Estee Lauder has never discontiuned this i think the one review about it smelling like cat spray, its smells of cat piss and a musty very old basement and wow is it strong...you can smell people that wear this from a mile away..sorry to say its discusting!!!!!!!

Angel10
Angel10

I must admit, I wasn't totally expecting to love Youth Dew after reading all of the reviews. I went & bought the bath oil, & I think it is very comforting!

I little like Bois des Iles, but Youth Dew adds that spiciness, cola-sweetness, and incense. And it lasts and lasts.

I always go for this scent in the late evening hours, when I want to relax, be calm, and feel comforted.

***BE SURE TO GET BATH OIL! Perfume = No Thank You!***

weegee
weegee

In the late 1950's, the mom of every little kid I knew, including my own, suddenly began to smell like Youth Dew. This was, and is, a HUGE fragrance, so believe me, all of us noticed. These were our Moms, who had always smelled sweetly of cookies, Lily of the Valley, Jergen's hand lotion, or something "nice" from Avon. Mothers had never smelled like this, so earthy and dark and vaguely of the resin on the pine trees along our block.

This is a complicated fragrance and probably among a handful I own that I'd call "exotic" to the point of being something out of 1,001 Arabian Nights. This is every spice from my spice rack in one bottle. I can only dab this and one drop does it; one spray would be overkill. And yes, the bath oil is the best.

Difficult to realize that this is now often denigrated as a granny scent. For my little kid self Youth Dew was the fragrance that made me realize my mom was also a woman.

flowermom
flowermom

arh youth dew!, when i was about 5 or 6 (over 3 decades ago!!) my nan wore this, i loved the smell, warm & spicy, i loved the bottle, loved the little gold bow wrapped around the slender bottle!! my mom also wore this when i was a little girl so for me its purely sentimental!, my mom hasnt worn this in years & my nan has long since passed away, but i always keep a little bottle of this in my bathroom, i rarely wear it as its too rich & heady for me but on those moments when i need extra "good luck" i spray a sneaky amount of this on my wrist for comfort (i wore this for the births of my children!!) its an absolute classic, elegant & timeless, i cannot see it siting well on under 30s, but i will alaways keep a bottle of this as it brings back warm memories of my childhood x

Too fruity to be unisex, IMO. I prefer vintage/1960s Tabu EdC. Now that is one incredible vintage fragrance. This one is dated and not special to me, but of course it blows away almost everything being produced now. I was hoping the base would have a great balsamic quality, but that never came to pass. JHL/Ispahan type fragrances have a dry, spicy/soapy quality, which is not at all like Youth Dew. I'm not a huge fan of either one, but I prefer them to Youth Dew, which is not "oriental" enough for me. The one I sampled was vintage, from the 50s or 60s. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are excellent. So, if you like the idea of a fruity (not in the modern sense) oriental, you might want to try this one. Overall, it's well made and has no flaws (other than coming across a little "synthetic" at times), but likely will impress others as "old," unless they too are perfumistas.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Youth Dew is one of my favourite scents. Its spicy power might seem overwhelming to some but to me it is pure bliss. Cloves and cinnamon galore and later on ylang-ylang, mandarine, incense and sandal wood. Could bathe in it but a light hand is necessary here.
YD has a warm quality reminding me of a fireside, cosy and comforting in the cold season.
It took some time for me to understand and appreciate its deep beauty. A fine classic, for fans of Opium and Cinnabar. Wanna have a whiff of it right now *sigh*.

Covergirl84
Covergirl84

DEAR GOD, Please help me to understand why people like this atrocious scent..I had to toleraate this fragrance as a child from my older caretaker...This fragrance, even when it fades, just sucker punches you right in the neck!! If you are seriously obssessed with this monstrosity, do our noses a favor, try Tresor(a little nuttier) or a more balanced varient of this in Lancome's Magie Noire.

Another strange review. Seems I've been giving a lot of those lately.

The drydown after 3 hours of wear is nice, like incense, cinnamon, and woods.

But in the first two hours, this was Stink City. I thought the bottle was so cute and old-fashioned, but honestly the perfume smelled ghastly. I was very let-down because I like strong, earthy scents and wanted very much to like this. It's cheap and would be easy to add to my collection. When my mother smelled it on my arm she made a face of disbelief and said "What a HORRIBLE thing!" It is certainly a spicy oriental, but it isn't feminine or sexy to me. Something about it is just too harsh and dark, like a perfume that's gone bad. I remember as a little girl, opening up my grandma's drawer and taking her perfume out. The bottle seemed really old and leaky and was a dark brown color. I put it on anyway, and it was obvious that it had turned, but yet it still retained some of the floral scent it was meant to be. I think this describes Youth Dew.

And I don't think there's anything youthful about it. It's about as mature of a scent as I could ever imagine.

Please wear with caution, definitely not on a date, and definitely only one tiny drop spread all around.

chuaalba
chuaalba

Pienso que es el mejor perfume de esa casa con diferencia!!!un oriental magnifico

Pasionaria
Pasionaria

SExy, intence, feminine and classic fragrance really elegant!

i had this spicy, strong and pleasing scent back in the 80's. loved it. haven't thought of it in awhile. i loved how the dark, spicy, rich looking liquid looked in its bottle. cognac is the right description for this fragrance, that simmers down to a sexy smoldering light spice.

mediterranean
mediterranean

The body cream is fantastic. It last long and is really sensual. The perfume is too much, very strong and it must be used in small doses.

oona noir
oona noir

Ah, Youth Dew bath oil. Sexual napalm in a bottle. :)

I prefer Cinnabar, but my husband goes so nuts for Youth Dew that I got the bath oil. When I compare the two, I'd say that Cinnabar is sharper and drier and Youth Dew is smoother and oilier. They are both uber-confident. I find Cinnabar a little more feral, which suits me- it's a little harder to pin down. Youth Dew is the smell of sexual availability- smooth, warm, inviting- the smell of a woman who won't turn you down.

empressevie
empressevie

This has all the right notes for me in a wonderful combination. It is smokey, intense and shines with lusciousness of the earthy, sensual type. BE WARNED! Not for those who don't want to be noticed, or smelt! When I wear it, I feel expensive, elegant and very, very sexy in a mature. female way and I can smell myself, which is what I want in a perfume.....

The strong, incensey opening notes dry down to a sweet, amber/patchouli/musk aura that is captivating. I am a real clove phobe, as it often comes on strong on my skin making me smell like someone with toothache/home remedy. But, no problem with that here. The middle is rich cinnamon and well balanced floral notes.

And, absolutely best advice, awesomeness and other...GET THE BATH OIL!!!!!!!!!!!

geegee
geegee

I have been wearing this majestic juice for about 12 months now & adore it. When i was in my 20's a friend of mine was 40 & she wore it all the time...i hated it on her, she smelt like an old person!!

Over the next 20 years i never ever smelt it on anybody else but saw it teasing me to try it for myself on department store shelves.

So i did.

Wow!!!

Its amazing. Whether my taste has matured along with my years or i just didnt appreciate a good thing when i smelt it back in my 20's or even more likely it just didnt suit my friends body chemistry...i have no idea. What i do know is i adore youth dew.

It is heavy. It is strong. It is head turning.

Its very 'ambery' & spicy & then mellows down to something soft & creamy like cashmere on your skin. Like the soft downy fur of a baby bunny as it nuzzles in to your body for a cuddle.

This must suit me brilliantly because after an hour i cannot smell this juice on my skin at all but others can, my nose has grown accustomed to this delicious fragrance.

This juice doesnt excude sexy in my opinion it oozes sensuality instead.

romrom

I love it !!! this perfume made me feel so sexy , it's not like any other fragrance I own or tried. not a lot of people have this so you dont end up smelling like everyone.

perfumepsych
perfumepsych

I DON'T THINK I HAVE EVER SMELLED A MORE DIVINE PERFUME IN MY 30 YEARS OF LIFE.
HERE'S HOW IT STARTED: 2 MONTHS AGO I BOUGHT KNOWING AND I REMEMBER I WAS SURPRIZED BY THE COLOUR OF THE LIQUID OF YOUTH-DEW HAD, WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT IT AT THE EL COUNTER.
I REMEMBER I THOUGHT THAT IT HAS BEEN DECADES SINCE I HAVE SEEN A PERFUME IN THAT DARK CINNAMON COLOUR.
I SMELLED IT FROM THE BOTTLE AND I THOUGHT THAT IT IS NOT A CONTEMPORARY SCENT (MEANING NICE AND INTERESTING) BUT I DIDN'T TEST IT.
SO YESTERDAY I WENT TO BUY ANOTHER PERFUME AND I THOUGHT : WHY NOT GIVE IT A TRY? SO I SPRAYED IT ON ME AND I DECIDED TO BUY IT WITHIN THE NEXT 15 SECONDS.
IT IS SO RICH, POWDERY AND CLASSY.
I SMELL SPICES AND SOMETHING LIKE MYHR...IT IS SO ENCHANTING AND AUTHENTICALLY ORIENTAL...
I DON'T FIND IT CLOYING OR OVERLY SWEET.
I JUST LOVE IT! THE HOLLY GRAIL OF ORIENTALS FOR SURE!

Allinug
Allinug

I got the bath oil today, I have the perfume and I love this scent. I love the smell but the bath oil smells softer than the perfume. Love them both.

AgentSteph
AgentSteph

Oh, I don't like this one at all. Sickly sweet. I favor oriental scents, but this overwhelms me with Jasmine and Orchid. Strange to me that no one else really picks up on that.

I haven't tried the body oil though, and that seems to be a big hit.

larali
larali

I smelled this at the store the other day and I thought: MOMMY!! My mother used to wear the bath powder at night after her shower. Nice little memory of her that sticks to this day. It is a lovely smelling frag even if I didn't have the mom association.

guest_great
guest_great

I love this fragrance!! my mom wore this for years and I always loved it on her, she passed aways last year so I bought a small bottle for myself,so I always smell it and think of all the good memories of my mother

TankGirl
TankGirl

A favourite for me, I really want it. I think its amazing to put on fur coats and leather jackets, its the perfect christmas dinner perfume. Its warm, spicy and if used with carefully I think its really sensual, not sexy, sensual. This one and Cinnabar are going to my Santa Claus list :)

It's magical simply put.
Bath oil is the way to go with YD--hadn't opened mine in 6 years and finally decided to dab a little on the wrist and behind the ears: couldn't believe the number of compliments from men. Goes fabulously with cashmere sweaters.....

Lady Love
Lady Love

Opium smell very similar to Youth Dew(Edp 2010)..

Overall both Fragrances smell practically the same. On the one hand there's Opium placing more emphasis on Citruses,Coconut and Pepper notes, and in the other hand Balsam notes, vetiver, patchouli and Ylang Ylang shine more on Youth Dew. I think Opium is more shiny , intense and Youth Dew more gloomy, mysterious. Both Fragances are amazingly well done.

Spices are present but not in a intense way. Youth Dew is not overwhelming if you aply just a little.

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

Yes youth Dew is very spicy but I havde loved it since I was sweet 16. I don't wear it everyday but when I do I see it's power. It is an elixir for sexiness. Men are drawn to it's unabasshed in your face sexuality. It's for a strong woman who knows who she is and is unashamed. A forever classic as far as I'm concerned incomparable. Strong yet still pleasant.

cisco
cisco

Sherapop covers this brilliantly. I received a 1/2 oz. petite vintage bottle that had not evaporated because it was so tightly sealed. W0W this kitten has claws. It smells extremely earthy...perhaps too much so. I wonder if I have the perfume. Someone referred to it as clean. I would call it anything but clean. Perhaps my vintage dab on has lost its clean notes. It reminds me of incense from the sixties. I think I will take the advice of minds much better than mine and use it in my bath.

julswhothinkstoomuch
julswhothinkstoomuch

My mom and her sister; that's what this says to me. Now, I'm at that age maybe it's time to give it a try. Always remember the square bath oil bottle in our bathroom cabinet. Always said and always will say to me.. MOM. Nothing negative about my mom just lots of wisdom, patience and understanding. Nothing understated about her and nothing understated about this fragrance either. Time to grow up and realize .. that , I, too have captured her spice to life. Then again, maybe I just need to keep my own bottle in my bathroom and make a memory for my own kids.

Cyberlady
Cyberlady

I wore Youth Dew many many years ago and in the interim I thought I disliked it and that it was far too *in your face*. Very recently I saw it again and had a spray for old times sake. It was still on my wrist the following day after a bath and I remembered its staying power. I thought it smelt wonderful the next day so I have bought some. I have it on now but applied very sparingly. It will be added to my collection now and worn occasionally.

maatgirl
maatgirl

Youth Dew was, for several years, my signature fragrance; I emptied at least two bottles of it before I became the perfume slut I am today!

What draws me to it? I love the rich/clean dichotomy of it. If YD and say, Bal A Versailles, were two women in identical sexy ballgowns, the YD woman would have taken a bath before putting on the dress and perhaps have on light makeup and a simple coiffure, but be stunning. BaV (which I love too) would have impeccable hair, makeup and accessories...but she wouldn't have bathed before putting the whole rig on.

Another thing I love about this is that there is a whole product line in it, and it is reasonably priced. Last Christmas I got a 60mL edp, a soap, a lotion and a powder for less than $60. Try that with Chanel No 5. I always get compliments when I wear it...it is rich but not overpowering. Great stuff.

milena

Yes the bath oil is divine and very very sensual, beautiful.It is more friendlier on the skin cause it smells a little sweet and soft and very sexy and long lasting.A fragrance you can not ignore, Full of class. A little goes along way on my skin. Pure heaven no doubt.

I don't think that anyone will deny that EL YOUTH DEW is a pretty scary liquid to behold. Let's face it: it looks like something that Jean-Baptiste Grenouille may have created from the extracted and concentrated bodily fluids of his nubile red-haired victims.

But does YOUTH DEW smell as horrible as it looks? This may depend upon a variety of factors. For one thing, this perfume needs to be applied very, very sparingly, in order for it to be even physically possible to appreciate some of its dark oriental qualities and depth. Even then, however, some will be stymied--or even overwhelmed--by the tar-like incense note.

I occasionally dab on a drop or two from my perfume mini before a bath, but I cannot claim that I would ever be able to don this substance in public (and be forewarned: it WILL stain your clothes...). I do feel nonetheless, however, that this creation commands some form of respect--perhaps in the way that a nonagenarian who chainsmokes Camel straights somehow does. There is something so stubborn and determined about YOUTH DEW, it seems to be mocking the very concept of time.

elusivek
elusivek

On me this ends out a nicely balanced floral and spice wiht amber but unfortunately the dominant note is powder :(

Cubby

This in the bath oil is superb. I got compliments but took it back. Seemed too naughty to me - just "not me". If you long for the vintage smell, get the bath oil. Mmmmm.

Sissi
Sissi

Estee Lauder's Youth Dew conjours dual contradictions Sex & Esoteric Seduction
& Piety Animalistic & Innocent everyone
has an different interpretation of what
the scent means to an person and Youth
Dew fits that Description.

It opens with an synthetic note of
Aldehyde with an drying of orange and
the shapness of Bergamot it dries to an
middle note of Raw uncut and pervasive
amount of Spices Ginger Curry every spice note is in this. then the fiery
sweetness of cinnamon shows up to the
senses.

The semi-spicy of the Cassia leaf mingles with the other spices with the
spicy sweet notes of clove Florals are
hard to detect because of the dominating notes of spices but i can
dectect a faint note of rose.

The drydown is an intoxicating scent
of Sandalwood incense Burning in Hindu
Temples in front of an deity clouds of
smoke floats allover the temple a strong
grounded note of Patchouli supports the
basenotes along with sweet amber and musk but i also can pick up some Civet
it dose add an animalistic quality to it.

at the very bottom note of Balsam
is an woodish scent has a bit of an
fiery tinge.

Youth Dew has it's own idenity that nobody can compare or measure up the silage is the heaviest of the history
of perfumes the liquid is sort of an
occidental version of the Arabian and
Indian Attars with their heavy and pure perfume silage the Liquid color conjours
up a Blood Red Sunset in the Desert sky.

delphine67
delphine67

a very strong incense perfume. Not one for me to like

orangepoppy
orangepoppy

DELEATED IN PROTEST
- Taking a stand against Fragrantica’s editing

MrLenny
MrLenny

My name is Lenny, and yes, I'm a
" Fragrance-O-Holic " I love Fine Fragrances, I know the very best there is and Youth Dew is one of my " Many, many " favorites ! I wear this EDP and Parfum plus the Bath & Body line including the oil..( Not all at once ) And I love it, and I smell so, so good in it. It's a Classic, and I think a Man, with the right body chemistry could indeed pull it off. Fabulous...

panda0410
panda0410

I'm a vetiver lover, yet this is not pleasant. Right from the opening I can smell two things in abhorrent disproportion - vetiver and incense. The smokey aroma rising from the vetiver edges on "burnt" and there is so much incense in this perfume it takes me back to nasty little incense houses that burnt cheap incense sticks to the point of idiocy.
Underneath those two notes the florals are sweet, powdery, you might not flag this as an aldehyde immediately or even later.
It reminds me a little of Opium, certainly in the same category and definitely reminiscent of others in the same class and genre.
The overwhelming spices are generally not pleasant for the first few hours, but if you can stomach it and are lucky enough to still own friends after wearing it near them for that period of time, then later you might appreciate the powdery romantic florals that linger.

Disconouvo
Disconouvo

The legend of Youth Dew release: Estee was presenting Youth Dew to cosmetics buyers in the stores around New York. She was meeting much resistance from them. She was then the new gal on the block and then as now the cosmetic/fragrance market was somewhat reserved about a new name.
After another negative response to the fragrance it is said that Estee's ambition made her clumsy and she dropped a bottle and smashed it on the cosmetics floor. She held out her arms and loudly asked passes by to be careful of the broken glass at the same time hindering attemps to clean the breakage up.
Youth Dew wofted through the air and passing customers became captivated. The daring stunt had women bending hankerchief in hand dabbing the divine brown liquid off the floor. Youth Dew's first outing caused such a stir the buyer couldn't refuse. It was in. The thin edge of the wedge for Estee Lauder and her global domination.

Manya
Manya

It is a very, very strong fragrance. I sprayed a bit on a test blotter, but couldn't stand to smell it for more than a tenth of a second... I handed it to my mom and she said :"Youth-dew? More like old-age-dew" :D

Seriously now, I will give it a try next time.
After all, every fragrance deserves a second chance!

fragrancestien

me again why do they change the bottles this is a classic and my only option is to comment here the holiday version?? where's the pale blue box and original gols ribbon????? this is not the only one that has had this happen it really peeves me when i read on the sites that the juice in some have benn ''re- modified'' or ' up dated'' that piss's me off all the spin off's they do of a scent and they can't leave a classic alone when you pay for something and think wow i must have got a bad batch ? or did i leave this in the sunlight? or even think its you that your body chemistry changed only to find out that they are changing the recipee its more than a shame to me its a disgrace

fragrancestien

this reminds me of my good friends mother who i adore shes a cajun woman who was raised in new orleans garden district she came from very old southern money i always loved geting a hug from her and smelling her classy clean sophisticated youth dew she started wearing as a young lady and has never strayed in the fall when she wore her leather jacket and perfume it was like magic i also loved her accent when she would talk she would never tell her age. her daughter didnt even really know it now thats old south every time i go to the estee lauder counter i ask 2 smell youthdew and think of desiree & veronica

I tried the bath oil version and it's much nicer than the perfume. It stays close to the skin and smells of resins and myrrh, with just a suggestion of flowers. A winter scent, and it sure goes on a whole lot friendlier than the perfume.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Not youthful and very strong. I think only a few people could pull this off.

twinklestar.pa
twinklestar.pa

Anyone weigh in on the solid version? It's a cute compact.

lemonlavendergirl
lemonlavendergirl

I'm only 28 years old and I love this!! I'm wearing it now and my husband loves it!! And hes 26 years old!! We are young but we know Good perfume when we see it.This is a classic! I love all Estee Lauder perfumes!!

guest_Y.D.Devotee
guest_Y.D.Devotee

Youth Dew...Simply the Best!

I have been wearing this purfume for 40 years and regard it as part of my identity. To those of you who rudely say it is old persons perfume, I was NOT an old person when I began wearing Youth Dew, and over the years I have often been stopped in the street, particularly by men, who ask me what I am wearing so they can buy it for their wives. Once I left a jacket at a friend's house and she hung it in her laundry, where it perfumed the room. Her husband wanted to buy her some immediately.
Of course perfume is a very individual thing, reactions on each person's skin can vary so much, but the proof that it is the right one for you is surely evident when strangers stop you to comment on how lovely it is.

May youth Dew remain for sale unchanged for at least as long as I am here, which I hope will be another 30 years at least!!

nyoka
nyoka

When I was a young hairstylest i was shampooing a clients hair.It was fullof youth dew.the hot water and youth dew got me gagging.Now 10 yrs later I cant get enough.i love oriental florals and this is the epitome.Lasts forever,compliments galore and a fragrance i never get tired of.

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

This is a quite intimate perfume, which stays close to your skin, not "loud" or "sexy". Created in 1953 it is timeless and avantgarde in a bottle (as someone else described it here earlier). Youth Dew is quite distinct so I would wear it on special occasions not on a daily basis. I love it for its richness and complexity.

yvashche
yvashche

The smell is the opposite of youth. Smells like being stuffed in a mothball closet since 1950. Very spicy. Something Lucille Ball would have worn.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I know, I know...I'm SUPPOSED to like this classic (and I probably would on OTHER people). On me? It was heavy and cloying for hours, and seemed to burn a whole in the spots where it was applied. I wish I could be more objective about it, but I can't.

I know many scents change as the day progresses, and that a lot of experienced perfumistas are patient, and withold opinion until the dry-down.

As for me, I have to admit: if it doesn't smell fairly nice on me during ALL stages -- beginning, middle AND end -- then I want nothing to do with it.

What's wrong with it being an older perfume. Cannel #5 is just as old and you don't hear anyone saying it's an old lady perfume. I love youth dew. For one thing it works well with my chemistry and it last all day on me. I also love wearing Channel #5 but it doesn't last a half hour on me. And Channel is more expensive. I've never used a perfume before that last as long on you as Youth Dew does. It is a classy perfume.

guest_femme fatal
guest_femme fatal

I have to say that this perfume is a clssic one.It was created by the same nose -creator of Fidji.Women in 1953 wore it (our grannies) who
where housewives and their needs were different from ours.Nowdays there are still women who actually wear and are fond of it(55 years later!!!).I do like it(it is not included in my tops).I do wear it in winters and some occations .I have some other classic aldehydes like white linen and channel#5#.I believe that it belongs in a special classical group of perfumes.

Care
Care

In the early 1980's my Dad gave my Mom a whole set of this stuff (why it is named "Youth Dew" mystifies my!) I never told her how repulsive I thought it smelled to my 30 year old nose. I have never worn it myself, but received a set of Guerlain miniatures, and tried Mitsuoko. After about an hour, there was that same undertone, that base note that I found so distasteful in Youth Dew! So, two famous perfumes that others rave about, I just abhor. It really is about "body chemistry".

guest_efikillkiss
guest_efikillkiss

To me this perfume smells carnation which i adore. It's oriental and powerfull. You spray just a little quantity and you smell it on yourself all day long. For some people smells like old lady- a banal perfume- but i think is classic in a good way for strong women with a kinky side.
10/10/09

kylexora
kylexora

i bought crismas mini perfume collection include this perfume. at first, i hate it. but, i always wear the perfume that i dont like to finish it first. and i always wear it. it weird because few of my collague like it. they say i smells good and very sexy.. maybe it match well with my chemistry... and i still wear it. buy a second bottle...no, not this one. i prefer spellbound more...

amelie

Distinct,intimate...a bit complicated, yet attractive and repulsive at the same time, therefore perfectly suited to its name.
To me Youth Dew is perfect for an intimate dinner and definitely not a fragrance for absolute beginners, although I have received it as a gift I did not immediately accept it, took me time to realize how unique Youth Dew is. Very retro, feminine, strong, seductive... excellent, especially if used with bath-oil. Whenever I see it seems that Youth Dew is the king of the EL empire, without it shelf is empty and incomplete.
For me No.1 when it comes to originality and needless to say - more beautiful in the original box, light turquoise.
When I think about the perfume, then I remember Youth Dew, Rive Gauche, Miss Dior, Givenchy III, Samsara... not even a little old-fashioned, these are the perfumes for eternity, in fact perfumes which are still avant-garde, even in comparison with the new releases.
Provocative, urban and glamorous, chic and cool, but still noticeable. Art in droplets, that make the world more beautiful.
Youth Dew is such a great fragrance that will delight those who prefer stronger scents with character.

milena

Warm and elegant. Rich and spicy, so sophisticated and very romantic and sensual, need I say more.

From a younger person's perspective, I guess it might come as a bit of a shock when I admit that I actually love this fragrance.

Old lady? I think not. As a 19 year old girl I would not feel ashamed by wearing this scent.

Youth-Dew is sophisticated, elegant, warm, inviting and in some ways strangely sexy. While I'm not a fan of fragrances containing aldehydes, I do love it when the powdery quality of the aldehydes are blended with spices. This blend gives this fragrance such a rich and feminine quality.

I have heard some people describe this fragrance as smelling similar to incense or exotic merchandise stores. I may just have to agree with that statement, however personally I love those smells, I find them to be quite soothing.

Where this scent goes wrong is when it is applied too heavily. Two or three sprays are certainly enough, any more and even I would be cringing at the thought of Youth-Dew.

guest_Ann
guest_Ann

Ilove it --only wear lauder--nothing else--Youth Dew a classic--also wear Spelbound and Cinnabar--mixed makes your very own smell--always people are asking me what I am wearing, that I smell so good. I like that no one else smells like meK!

karenlsinging
karenlsinging

My aunt always wore it and it smelled lovely on her but my mum tried it and didn't like it on her skin so gave it to me but it didn't suit me either. Smelled like a man's aftershave.

Femme1
Femme1

I lurve this perfume! So many people think it's an old lady scent (maybe because women of their grandmother's generation wore it), but it's incredibly sexy. I must admit, if I go to heavy on it, it'll give me a headache. And this one has sillage to die for, so go easy.

When I wear it, my husband loves to nuzzle my neck. He once said I smelled like midnight Mass (the incense)...don't know why church is sexy, but he thinks so!

perfumes_addict
perfumes_addict

when i tried it, it smelled like an old perfume gone bad. but the worst part is that it stained my white t-shirt which i was never able to clean it again. :((

Mals86
Mals86

Youth Dew is one of those polarizing scents: those who love it, really love it. And those who don't love it, really abhor it and would rather slide down razor blades or chew aluminum foil than smell it on a regular basis.

Put me in the latter category. It's a quality fragrance, put together well from good raw materials... it has a definite personality, and if it's for you, you'll love its depth and complexity, with all those lovely resinous base notes.

It's just not anything that I ever, ever want on my body. And please, if you love it, wear it sparingly! I think its greatest drawback is its unrelenting sillage - there is simply no way to make Youth Dew a quiet fragrance.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

Woo-hoo! A real grande dame of a fragrance. To be honest, I HATE the topnotes. It is very synthetic-y and old lady-ish at first sniff, but the drydown is sooo good- sex in a bottle! The vanilla and incense lay so well together.

belle de sud
belle de sud

On my top ten list for life! Rich, sensual, unusually long-lasting; the essence of femininity. Excellent for bedtime, I always keep the bath oil too as it is very economical used as perfume. Plus, it is a real man-pleaser!

mmsmlzgud546
mmsmlzgud546

Im not trying to be funny, my Grandmother wore this! She swore by it and it brings back fond memories. I would say its oriental but not spicey at all. Its very clean and classic.

Leukothea
Leukothea

This one is a masterpiece, i absolutely adore it, its perfect... perfect! The composition is so rich, developing, the incense, patchouli, balsams and vetiver in the drydown.. strong perfume, not for ppl who love them light. Eventhough its strong, its also very pleasant, it doesnt make me choke like some others and in the begining reminds me of cognac :) a real must have, cant wait to buy it.

golden
golden

I agree with ljubica.I don't like the scent myself but my best friend does and i think it smell beautiful on her.
As you so rightly said to many women this represents the epithome of elegance and sexiness.
Well put liubca.

SandraS
SandraS

I find it very similar to Opium.

mandilet
mandilet

Yuck! The most overrated perfume there is to my mind! Or maybe I just don't 'get it'? I know it's a 'classic' and has its following but it's way too overpoweringly spicy; - 'bitter' almost.
Like Marmite I reckon you either love it or hate it, there's no 'sitting on the fence' with this one.

sweetcookie
sweetcookie

For some reason, Youth Dew makes me think of molasses cookies- maybe it's the color, or the heaviness, or the spices. I favor oriental scents- spice is the thing- but Youth Dew isn't exactly my style. I know it's a genuine classic, and I've read Joan Crawford (and my mother) wore it. To me, it's a little bit matronly, grandama's perfume.
Youth Dew isn't the worst- just not my personal cup of tea. The spice would be ok if it were not in such an overbearing scent.

guest_ljubica
guest_ljubica

Although I'm not a great fan of spicy orientals myself, plus I read some very dicouraging comments from the people whose grandmothers used to wear it and who associate the smell with 'church going old ladies', there are people around who really appreciate this fragrance, and to whom it is an epithome of elegance and sexiness.
Because of such people, especially those I got to know on this site, I decided to give it a try.
After I tried the perfume, and didn't like it particularly, I came across the bath oil, which turned to be a completely different thing.
It is much softer, much more rounded than the perfume, and it has sweet and sexy smell, which is at the same time rather clean, not in the least bit animalic.
All in all, it might not be my thing entirely, but it still has some charm and I'm not going to give it away.

YUCK!!! I have tried so many times to like this so called classic, but it just smells so bad. A friend of mine wears it, and she smells good, like baby powder and musk, but I cannot stand it.

Youth-Dew by Estée Lauder 3.17 out of 5 based on 1305 ratings and 337 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Estée Lauder Youth-Dew fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Estée Lauder Youth-Dew, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Youth-Dew by Estée Lauder. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Youth-Dew by Estée Lauder represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.