Designers » D E » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

Jasmin et Cigarette Etat Libre d`Orange for women

Jasmin et Cigarette Etat Libre d`Orange for women
dislike

tobacco
Jasmin et Cigarette Etat Libre d`Orange for women Pictures Jasmin et Cigarette Etat Libre d`Orange for women Pictures

It is the era of Harcourt Studios when Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich magnetised men with a Hollywood look in the eye, smoking a cigarette in a smoky black and white ambiance. Jasmin et Cigarette is also the slightly jasminy smell of a woman’s skin when she exposes her freshness to the dark seduction of night. A hazy atmosphere. The reminder of a fantasy, of an indelible trail she leaves on a dress at the break of day or in the intimate memory of the man who made love to her. It is elegance seen by Gainsbourg, the woman from the 80’s who smokes Gitane cigarettes and wears jeans and who, with astounding naturalness, claims her sensuality as a right. Transparency in sophistication, just a trace of jasmine mingled to the so far neglected smell of a cigarette. Jasmin et Cigarette is the twilight zone, the banned, addiction. Nicotine woman or heroine, she is an icon, the woman one longs for.

Composition: Jasmine asbolute, tobacco notes, apricot, tonka beans, curcuma, cedar, amber, musc...

Nose for this perfume is Antoine Maisondieu. Jasmin et Cigarette was launched in 2006.

Apricot Tonka Bean Musk Jasmine Cedar Tobacco Hay Amber Cumin

Montabaco

Jasmin et Cigarette Fragrance Reviews

little elf
little elf

This is the 2nd ELDO fragrance I've tried, and so far I have been pleasnatly surprised by this line, previously having written it off as more of a novelty line. The name is only half-accurate. Jasmine? Yes. Cigarettes? Only for a minute or so,before it turns into a fresh, warm tobacco. It's actually very similar to the tobacco note in Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille- light, feminine, and just slightly spicy. In fact, Tom Ford could've released this as a sister scent to Tobacco Vanille and called it Tobacco Jasmine. The jasmine here is a realistic one, but a clean one, no indoles here. This is a much lighter scent than the notes would lead you to believe. Jasmine, tobacco, and apricot as the top 3 notes could get heavy or cloying, but this is very airy and subtle. Still better suited for the winter, in my opinion, because of the warmth from the tobacco. As for the sillage, this is exactly the kind I love! It's not in your face at all, but boy does it leave a lovely trail when there's a breeze.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Either I am getting old, or I am afraid most people only "think" they're smelling tobacco because of the name. Because I smell clearly no tobacco in here, or at least, not enough to justify its presence in the pyramid. Paying attention, you only get a subtle (I mean it: subtle) whiff of tobacco leaves after quite a while. What I smell for hours is basically only the "jasmine part". This said, back to the opening: a nice, fresh, desperately synthetic white jasmine note, soft and fairly powdery but also almost zesty (on the linalool/floor cleaner side), on a woody-vanillin base. Not much else, and almost no evolution except for a slight "sweetening", which may also be due to the emerging of that subtle tobacco note, which adds this dusty, humid, sweet leafy feel. Pale and plastic like a freezer bag, but somehow pleasant with its faint and foggy allure. For me Etat Libre d'Orange is one of those brands for which "Phew, they could have done worse" is a compliment, so... nice job here.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

See, this is why I love Fragrantica. While everyone else is getting indolic green jasmine and smoky tobacco, I only smell...bergamot oil and bitter grapefruit; not unlike a leaner, more unisex Rue Cambon, without the fluffy aldehydes or florals.

Nice concept, but the execution unfortunately falls flat for me. Sillage and longevity leave something to be desired as well.

On a side note, I wonder if layering A La Nuit with Tabac Blond would've produced what I expected from this fragrance.

LetThereBeMe
LetThereBeMe

This opens with a bang - of tobacco, cedar and cool jasmine. It's like taking a walk along a tree lined street, on a crisp wet morning. Love it!

The dry down is just as delicious. The jasmine and tobacco, ever present, but less boisterous make way for the sweeter apricot, tonka beans, amber and musk.

I can't choose between the stages. They're well blended and equally captivating.

I really like this one.

fuggerone
fuggerone

a load of synthetic jasmine and the smell of a metallic ashtray where cigarettes butts rested for a while... weird scents for oddballs...just like me!

wlmyer2
wlmyer2

This perfume is divine! It is a lighter version of Amouage's Interlude for women, which is one of my all time favorites. This perfume when first sprayed on me did not exactly do anything for me, but after I gave it some time to dry down and bloom on me...WOW! I love the mixture of the jasmine and tobacco, not a stinky smoky tobacco, but a sweet tobacco almost like the tobacco my grandfather used to smoke in his pipes. I had to own this gem!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Opens curiously--a little dry, slightly sour. Then Jasmin et Cigarette transforms into a sweat rag of bitter cumin and hay. But beneath it all, I detect a very pure jasmine--delicate, transparent, yet strong.

My mind brings forth images of a pretty female, porcelain-skinned, anorexic crack addict, sweating from drug withdrawal. Not a pretty picture, yet somehow, I am sympathetic to Jasmin et Cigarette.

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

Given its name, I honestly did not expect anything different from what I smelled: jasmine and cigarette.
Not cigarette smoke but the ugly, stale smell of tobacco that lingers on the clothes, skin, hair and breath of smokers, even many hours after they smoked.
I tried to smell this fragrance (I have quite a big box of ELDO vials) with an open mind but I honestly cannot understand why would anybody like to spoil a heavenly jasmine scent with such a nasty smell. Nor I can understand why would anybody want to smell like something smokers usually try to conceal (with mint bubblegum for example), I mean the stale tobacco smell.
Seeing many positive reviews, I imagine many people would, anyway...LOL :)
I really wish I could appreciate ELDO creations, unluckily many of them just do not work for me, and what I can smell here is just a highly perfumed woman who just had a cigarette.

Update: after a couple of hours, only the smoke smell was left on my wrist, so I went to scrub it off.
Bad, bad, bad. Dirty ashtray. Horrible.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Again, a great olfactory story from ELdO. The first review on here by 'Antoinette' is probably the best. All its ingredients are very fleeting as they are so desperately awaiting the ignition. But what ignition? The lighter? A man's glance? A kind gesture? An invitation for a dance?

She wants to throw her handkerchief, but she wants to wait for the right moment, just like the spider sitting in the web, waiting for her prey.

Everything is fresh and raw. Even the jasmine is green, cold and waxy, and stems from a bud that is just about to open but the surrounding temperature is too cool for it to be a warm and sensual jasmine. Same goes for the tobacco that is an old dusty one....perhaps not enough opportunities? It could be an analogy for a woman who is still very fit and physically attractive but has yet to wait for her breakthrough moment....that man in shiny armor has yet to ignite her.

She is cool, she is patient(ly) waiting for her moment will come along.....

8/10. Modern cool tobacco jasmine. Innovatively and well done. A "grower" of a perfume. A really great new interpretation of jasmine. If you don't like the (stereo-)typical indolic nature of jasmine, then you might like this one for it is refreshingly cool and green and almost abstract green jasmine.

polly golightly
polly golightly

per la serie "il profumo è morto, evviva il profumo"!
splendido accordo di gelsomino timido e di foglie di tabacco. nel tempo si assesta su note fruttate di albicocca. mi fa pensare immediatamente a un mio amico che accende una sigaretta pasteggiando una tazza di tè al gelsomino.

Q80
Q80

the top note of this perfume gives the Rancid smell of an over concentrated Indian & Thai Jasmine combined together. (Indian & Thai's Jasmines are known for it's too bitter smell when there are too much of them unlike the Syrian Jasmine).
After around 15 minutes the smell turns a bit around to a worm water poured onto a lightly black tea bag in a transparent glass teapot. i guess that what the perfumer tends to call cigarette. not bad though but the Rancid smell of the jasmine appeared to be given the smell of a bitter worm black tea when it's lightened a bit more.
later than 20 minutes, the Jasmine's smell lightened a bit more and i begin to smell the base of the glass teapot when the tea bag was ripped and the tea leaves hit the base & melted with the remaining worm water, i guess by then i can call it cigarette, not the burned cigarette, but a wet fresh tobacco leaves. not bad, but the type of jasmine at the beginning is a huge drawback for me, too Rancid. & still i smell the black tea leaves soaked in a worm water within a transparent glass teapot.

connie@ginkwunk.net
connie@ginkwunk.net

I have a 3/4 full 50 mL bottle of Jasmin et Cigarette that I'd like to swap for a bottle, one or more decants, or a good set of samples. Within the US, please message me if interested. My tastes have changed since I bought it and I would like to send it to a better home, where it won't be looking at me resentfully from the back of the cabinet. :)

AkcijaGirl
AkcijaGirl

I used to smoke heavily and although it's been years since I gave up, I still get a contact high from someone lighting up a cigarette near me - I love that acrid, choking smell, and often ask friends to blow smoke in my direction - wierd, I know! I thought that this would be right down my alley, but alas, the cigarette element is not the fresh smoke coming from a lit cigarette but the ashy, stale stench that sinks into your clothes and that you can smell after a big night out in the clubs. The winter season after I quit smoking, I pulled out my winter clothes from their boxes, and was assailed by a wall of smell, the stench of stale smoke that had lain dormant in my clothes since I had last put them away (obviously, in a house infected with smoke at the time). This is what the cigarette element here reminds me of. I say unfortunately, because if someone someday figures out how to reproduce the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, I am SO there.

The older I get, the more I question the time and place where I would wear a scent. I try to fit the scent into my life as it is nowadays rather than try to fit my life into a fantasy I have based on a scent. This would have been a brilliant clubbing perfume for me when I was in my early twenties and going out almost every night in Dublin before the smoking ban came in. Last night, I put on this scent from a sample, and crept into bed beside my five month old daughter, and as she rolled into my side for a feed, the cigarette smell suddenly felt all wrong. I am not saying I should smell like vanilla and fluffy clouds all the time, just because I am a mother (God knows, I love me some Rien from the same line and that is not a pussy cat scent). But for me, the time and the place for this perfume has come and gone.

But do let me say this - I admire the hell out of ELDO guys for doing stuff like this. It is a daring, complex and well-handled scent, and is probably one of their top five scents. This one is not for me, but there are quite a few that I love from this line, and as a whole, I think these guys are artists.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

I often use a showergel from LUSH, called Flying Fox. It's a very intense jasmine shower gel and I allways thought it had a light ashy aroma.
Jasmin et Cigarette explores this ashtray facet of concentrated jasmine further by pairing it with a very chewy unsmoked tobacco accord.
I heard it being compared to apricot flavored hookah tobacco, and I get that, there's a sticky, chewy texture to this perfume, but it's not as sweet as hookah tobacco.
The jasmine lifts the fragrance up, gives it a gorgeous feminine aura and cuts the chewiness.
The green facets of the jasmine amplify those of the tobacco.
I had some difficulties with this fragrance at first, but after wearing it a few times, I have grown to love it.
It's the perfect perfume for a night out in spring.

TeaforTwo
TeaforTwo

Whooaaa!This is really something, I can't see how anyone who loves jasmine would not love this. The cigarette (yes, definitely not raw tobacco) adds the dirty, naughty tone to the jasmine. The whole thing is vampish, tenacious, and very sexy. Unfortunately, I can't pull it off, but it could do wonders for someone whose personality will match it.

Hoxx
Hoxx

To be honest, there was a time I thought of ELDO as of a bad experiment. Their concept was stupid to me, and their overall vibe was too much. Now, it's a house I appreciate a lot. Jasmin et Cigarette is one more reason why.

You see, this is a very sincere name for a scent in the bottle, although it's not really that simple. There are surely a lot of notes lurking in the background and somehow changing the feel of this fragrance with the time, but I'm unable to differ a single one. What I can spot are jasmine and tobacco, or even cigarette. The tobacco note is obvious, but it really feels a little bit like a burning cigarette instead of the raw or dried tobacco plant.

Now, I detest smoking, in any possible way. The thing I hate the most about the night out is a smell of my clothes after that. However, this cigarette smoke note is subdued. It's there, you can feel it, but it's not that harsh, simply because there is a floral note which is stronger and which has more character. A slightly indolic, very natural-smelling jasmine note is a star of the fragrance, in my opinion. Even if the name says that those two are equal, they are not. Jasmine note is in the front whereas tobacco is in the background, providing a sort of balance to the floral heart and making this perfume less soliflore-like. Like I said, there is a plethora of other supporting notes that are here to give a stamp of ELDO - there is a feel I get from this one that pretty much guarantees it's an ELDO product, even if without their landmark leather note.

This thing has a little less than solid projection, but it surely lasts - I could spot it twelve hours and a shower later. It is slightly more feminine, naturally, but I insist that it can be easily worn by a man, with a lot of different outfits and in plenty of occasions. Don't get me wrong, this is not an epitome of versatility - it's not nearly a safe fragrance by any means, but, if you want something a bit extraordinary, this is a very viable choice for every opportunity. This is a type of perfume I really love, as it has a lot of personality, but with little harshness to go with it. Surely worth a try for any woman or a brave man.

Carestinus
Carestinus

This is in my top 3 from this house, no doubt! I liked it the moment I smelled it but I was more beguiled by others in the line, which by now, 5 weeks later, are considered "false idols" to me lol. In this case, it's remained there, captivating with a weird albeit fascinating mix that is 100% unisex to me. It is considered a feminine, as well as Encens et bubblegum, and I'm a bit suspicious about the fact that the feminines in this line are the ones I find more and more attractive to wear myself haha. Of course, no doubt this would smell gorgeous and unique on women!

I guess I won't get many supporters of this next idea, but to me this is very close to Hommage á l'homme by Lalique but done ten times better. The blend of tobacco with flowers (in one case violets, here jasmin) is both strange and sensual. I know Hommage doesn't seem to have tobacco but it's the main note I smell! Here I think the result is ten times better because it isn't meant to be "gentlemanly" and "safe" as the Lalique (which anyways smells decent but too serious) but instead this is heavier, edgy, well round and makes an impact. This is what I expect from niche, original, daring and well put together scents.

I recommend everyone to buy the whole line samples for a reasonable price and give them some time, I'm sure you'll find more than one new fave!

edwardnr17
edwardnr17

Very grown up scent, a gossiping man or woman with a cigarette in their hand

alittlebrittle
alittlebrittle

This smells of a fresh pack of Dunhills...or the jasmine-scented cigarettes I used to smoke as a teen; black papered with a luminous gold filter. What a great time..'NewRos' in black fishnet and humidity, blue-black hair, matte red lips, massing together at The Odyssey in West Hollywood. My hair would smell of this the next morning: Ashy, tar-tobacco'ed, nicotined, melded with just a hint of lingering Fracas...

The first time I sampled this, 'Into You Like A Train' by The Psychedelic Furs popped up on the playlist...what a flood of memories...1982?...

There's an alfalfa accord--the 'hay'--that brings lapsang souchong tea to mind.

Very similar to many L'Artisan scents, IMO.

This is the perfect scent for a punk rock girl, but is sweet and kind enough for us mid-lifers. I don't absolutely adore this, but it does make me happily nostalgic and it feels...good. Sadly, there is (once again! arrrggghhh!!) nearly zero silage or longevity here. Can't these exceptional creators give Avon or Revlon or every single celeb scent manufacturer a bell and find out how to give some bang for the buck to these little masterpieces? The cheapies and commercial fumes seem to reach the entire busload, while the 'niche' lovelies vanish straight out of the bottle. So tired of paying for little more than 10 min. of scent enjoyment! Such a tease too....

thedashingdarlings
thedashingdarlings

I absolutely adore this scent. It is sweet and lovely but the closer you get to my skin, the more addicting it becomes. The tobacco note is the slightly too-sweet scent of a freshly opened pack of Nat Sherman Black & Gold cigarettes, something fancy and elegant and only a little depraved. For me, there is also a bit of spice, but my skin has a tendency to bring out any inherent spicy or amber notes in a scent.
Ordering a full bottle of this ASAP.

witch_mum
witch_mum

Beautyful duel of the two main components. Jasmin starts at first and the tobacco answers later on with more and more increasing intensity but the jasmin has enough power during the sillage to give an appropriate answer. The other member of the orchester contribute only few notes into the composition but they do that at the right moment and the right way. Once I'll have the full size bottle it will be within my top favs.

missy.stratimirovic
missy.stratimirovic

A very good jasmin. It is hard to say whether the tobacco here is burning or not but it is inviting for sure. Somehow makes you want to grab a coffee and sit down a bit. As for the fruity part, I was sure it was peaches instead of apricots. I like it but I wouldn't buy a fb.

lisa o
lisa o

Recently started to collect absolues and find the quality of the jasmine really close to my jasminum grandiflorum absolue from egypt. JEC smells like that- plus a touch of apricot and tobacco (not the flat, dry, generic smoky gourmand-base, but a super moist & fresh pipe tobacco) for the raspy timbre.
very good and puristic I find.

Na0
Na0

Why ? Why do you do this to me, dear Jasmin & Cigarette ! :(

On others, you smell a lovely fresh tobacco, with a delicate jasmine touch. A pretty contradiction between masculine powdery/woody tobacco and feminine floral and calm jasmine. Like a lovely couple between a beautiful and quiet girl and a furious, classy and dark guy.

So... Why on me, you just smell like urine ? I hate you on myself, I do love you on others !

Bandit
Bandit

One of the better solifleurs I know. It's jasmine, so you have to like jasmine. It's of very good quality, afaic, it reminds very much of No.5's jasmine. Than there is not pipe tobacco to my nose, but really cigarettes, the lit ones. But very slightly and it prevents the jasmine to turn to pretty and cloying. The jasmine get's not too sweet, not more than it usually does, and not to heavy; both good things. In the end you'll get your soap, because it's jasmine, whose smell is linked to soap nowadays.

In the end it is a solifleur, so not my cup of tea, I like it more complex. But if you care for jasmine, j&c might be a good choice.

LauraB425
LauraB425

I tried a sample of this b/c back in high school and college my signature scent was the old Love's Musky Jasmin (not the reformlated "Soft Jasmin"), and I was also a chain smoker back then. I thought it might bring back some scent memories, which it did. I definitely smell the jasmine and the tobacco . . . not sure I'd want to smell that way regularly anymore, but it made me smile, and so does the concept. Well done.

noori
noori

For me, the first minutes are like a bouquet, a romantic, fresh one, later on it is like jasmin tea with a smoky, very sensual sidenote. Lovely.

ladykarl
ladykarl

The first time i smelled this perfume
i had just travelled to new orleans for the first time

I was so intoxicated with the city and the south
and the smell of jasmine and tabacco were everywhere

My friend who was with me
had a mini size bottle of this from a sale in NY
and we used to put it on and drink tea outside together
looking out into the luscious streetlife of the beautiful
big easy
this scent encapsulated everything so well
the smells of the luscious plants
the old buildings wood and stone
the bar smoke
the dark red lounges
peoples dressed in costume
opulent/ savage romance

I was not so much into perfumes at the time of wearing this
but it represented a time in a place that held so much
meaning for me

that i will never forget either the smell of the south
or this perfume

big love

AnyaZ
AnyaZ

I really wanted to like this one, as I love the Etat Libre d'orange collection (I finally sprang for their Coffret Decouverte to try them all), the reviews made it sound lovely. Alas, on me, it smells like the sour urine of a grass-fed animal (Camel piss?). I don't love the cigarette and do find it slightly ashy, like a post-consumer cigarette rather than warm, fresh tobacco. But the real problem hit with the Jasmine--it is too thin, wispy, and sour. Did not work on me, alas...

po
po

Jasmin et Cigarette opens with pure lively indolic jasmine buds, exactly like the jasmine I remember growing in my grandmother's garden. This delicate intoxicating smell. But the tobacco is just half step behind, practically the jasmine and the tobacco walk hand by hand as the scent unfurls.
The tobacco here has nothing to do with ashtray. It's more of tobacco leaves wrapped in paper (this must be the hay) with a slight twist of cedar and apricot.
As I smell my wrist I think ''Ok, this is jasmine, no.. tobacco... jasmine... tobacco..'' and it goes just like that, it's like a kind of dance but never the one without the other. And the dance ends like that, with no surprises. Projection and longevity are soft to moderate.
Sometimes it makes me feel the need to take a shower and although unusual, it's totally wearable. I can imagine an old school cinema starlet in a hazy jazz club wearing this one, might not be a love for me but at least it's an interesting olfactory experience.

jadejoann4
jadejoann4

smells like someone put out a cigarrette in a cup of old tea. I smell cigarrette and grass or tea leaves. It smells a little like henna. I like henna but not as a perfume.

9-na
9-na

Loved it, wore it, felt good in it. This scent was jasmine on me, flowers plus leaves, sometimes with roots, more often - without. Then tabacco got to jasmile, soflty, nicely, beautifully. The scent lived on me for about two days when I wore it. Hm... Should buy it again, probably.

Upd.: bought it again. The scent is very nice. Loving it, wearing it.

Betweenshades
Betweenshades

You're out with friends and you find this wonderful club where the music is perfect, the drinks are great, it's crowded and you loose yourself in the evening. Then you step outside; it's cooler compared to the inside and there's a mix of lingering perfumes and the smell of a freshly lit cigarette and the the brightness that is a city at night. In the background is the dim sound of the club and the beating of your heart.

That's what this smells like.

It's nothing like what I expected and yet everything. It's different. I don't want to cheapen it by making it my signature scent, but this has reached top 5 status.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I thought this would be a bit different than what it is. I was expecting a nice round tobacco and all I got is a dirty ashtray that sits in the sink with a bit of cold water in it. Add to this a night blossoming jasmine flower and a hint of freshly sliced (slightly underripe) apricot.

Anyway this is how it smells on MY skin. I do not get as much of the curcuma and cedar as I wanted, but still they are present. As with many others before me, in my quest to find the odd one, the fresh but not green, the sweet but not syrupy, the vulgar but natural, this perfume has managed to grow on me. It makes me a bit nauseous, but somehow I cannot stop sniffing my wrist.

Edit: this is pretty tenacious on my wrist and I must say it is addictive in a weird kind of way. I keep on wanting to smell it, but get a bit weirded out. The 2 notes are blending quite well together (jasmin, cigarette). I now get the apricot note that stands out like in a fruity shampoo! so strange! I can see why some people love this now... and I might be one of them.

I am now totally in love with this!!!

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I truly truly appreciate the work behind this very original creation but did not leave with a bottle as honestly I do not want to smell like tobacco. Even if it's fresh from an opened tin of good old fashioned rolling tobacco like my grandad used to put in his pipe. It made everything dirty for me, tainted the jasmine and weighed down the tonka bean or vice versa. I try to not leave negative reviews as perfume is truly personal and reviews do affect one's to buy or not to buy list, but unfortunately I cannot honestly recommend this. But like I said I would give a perfect ten for originality and quality for this creation. Just not my style. If you adore the smell of fresh sweet tobacco this is definitely calling your name then.

molliedollie
molliedollie

I just pulled out Jasmin et Cigarette ("jasmine and cigarette") to wear in the coming summer months. (When not being used my perfumes live in a dark drawer.) According to one of my best friends, who is Cuban, it smells like pungent, jasmine-infused cigars. I love the smell of tobacco- not stale ashtrays, but lit cigarettes or pipe tobacco- so this is a compliment!

I think it smells sweeter than cigars, more like jasmine shisha (hookah tobacco) or jasmine tea, which is why I bought it. I wonder why they don't call it Jasmin et Tabac, since I don't smell any cigarette in there. Cigarette implies burning and ashes. What I do get is unlit, dried tobacco and jasmine flowers. But, tabac sounds more palatable than cigarette, so maybe there's my answer.

There's a fantastic transparency to Jasmin et Cigarette in spite of its powerhouse notes. The heat makes it bloom well.

EnPassant
EnPassant

What a wonderful fragrance!!!

Love at first smell!!!
I don´t get the overpowering tobacco as some people did, what I get is a sweet ashtray after a lovely green-sweet jasmin being smashed in there.

Very good!!!

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

I've got Jasmin et cigarette on one arm and Don't get me wrong baby on the other. The sweet marshmallow and lily of Don't get me wrong really come through.. and it perfectly highlights the dry, almost green tabacco of J et C. It has very little warmth, it's bitter, brittle almost but clear and airy too. It's very beautiful. Etat libre have a scent for everyone. Neither of these jasmins are indolic, one is warm and blanket soft, the other is angular and pretty. Which to choose?

Kamicha
Kamicha

I think that this fragrance would get lots and lots of love under a different name (and maybe revamp the copy, too, I find ELdO fragrance descriptions forced and alienating, mostly). But I'm not sure if I want that, I really want to keep this little gem for myself...

What I mean is that this is a perfectly balanced, unpretentious composition of beautiful, lightweight and very natural jasmine note and pleasantly soft and dry haylike aromatic notes of dried tobacco leaves. Very easy to wear, with almost peaceful, effortless feel - but with a playful side. Nothing too challenging, just a beautiful but unusual accord.

It's not particularly dirty - but it feels very natural... ...it's definitely not nodding to the clean trend either.

Jasmin and Cigarette is also an excellent candidate to try out, if you normally aren't into florals but want a gentle, easy to wear introduction to that genre. This scent does not cherish the headyness and creaminess of white flowers - the jasmin is just the lush, but lightweight greenish whiff you get when passing by a jasmine bush late at night. This scent does not douse the flower aromas with cloying fruity sweetness - the apricot is there just for rounding the jasmine a bit. I salute you, Mr Maisondieu, for making this jasmine such a lightweight and natural beauty - but still very well lasting!

Personally I think that the notions to the film noir stars are totally out of context with this scent. This is for nonchalant, rebellious contemporary female and male adventurers, more interested in their surroundings than making an impression. Actually thinking about it... ..it is that kind of scent that if it had persona it would probably give you a finger if you tried to categorize it or define it's target audience too strictly.

Just give it a chance - and don't expect a thing. It might give you a lot.

Etat Libre d'Orange JASMIN ET CIGARETTE seems entirely unisex if not masculine to me. No sweetness whatsoever--at least not to my nose--and the jasmine is dry and dusty, mixed up with the lint of a coat pocket in which a few filterless cigarettes were left until they broke open, spilling slightly old but unburnt tobacco about.

This is a very nice atmosphere scent, actually. A masculine jasmine, with enough tobacco mixed in to make it not seem too floral at all. I definitely get the intended connotation of a certain type of woman, who ELdO says could be Greta Garbo or Marlène Dietrich or Charlotte Gainsbourg. Although this does not stink like Gitanes, fortunately!

LaBoheme84
LaBoheme84

This sounded so interesting, but I could never wear this. It really does have the very lifelike scent of unlit cigarette tobacco, together with jasmine. This includes a sort of "pissy" quality in the tobacco that I hadn't thought about before, but it's there, and a lot of it. Would have been okay if it had stayed in the background, but there's so much of it. In a certain light, it's a really interesting scent, but I'm actually afraid that people would think I'd peed my pants if I wore this. The jasmine in this is so lovely though, could you maybe separate that and bottle it alone, ELdO?

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I find Jasmin et Cigarette to be a very primal scent. There is an almost faecal note which combats the sweet jasmine and apricot. I haven't got a clue what it is, perhaps the musk? After about 30 minutes the light leafy tobacco note comes out to play. Unusual, but I couldn't live with it on a regular basis.

jtd
jtd

The name says it all. What you smell is jasmine and tobacco, but what takes you there is interesting. The jasmine is clean and a bit green, not particularly indolic, and is reinforced by a light cedar. I take the tobacco note to be tobacco with coumarin, giving a hay-like scent. These 3 elements give the same honeyed gorgeousness of the fresh, moist Dutch blonde cigarette tobacco used to roll your own. It made me want to take up smoking again. I know the ‘cigarette’ in this fragrance is often said to be more of a pipe or that the tobacco is smoke, but I definitely see it as freshly packaged, unsmoked blonde cigarette tobacco. The jasmine and the tobacco hold together quite well and do a fairly linear dance with each other through the drydown. Linear works here as you catch different parts of the elements coming together in different ways all the time: jasmine and cedar, tobacco and tonka, jasmine and hay, but usually just the lovely jasmin et cigarette.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Don't misunderstand. There is no burning tobacco - acrid cigarette smoke. Nothing on fire. The tobacco note is fresh cigarettes or a cigar...UNlit. This scent is unique. Very strong Jasmine at first blush. Mellows nicely. The tobacco lends a sweetness and depth that really works. It's warm and cozy without being gourmand-y and vanilla-y. Nice.

Grottola
Grottola

Jasmin et Cigarette very accessible (read: non-indolic) jasmine with a hint of tobacco. It's pleasant and sexy smelling. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I think it would smell great on a woman (or a guy that knows what he's doing).

Definitely try this one, it's good.

dreamcatcher
dreamcatcher

An impossible fragrance: jasmin I love and cigarettes I hate together make one of my favourite scents. I find it very outstanding and romantic and a bit sad, perfect for a rainy autumn day...

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Finally an ELDO I can love! And it smells exactly like what you would expect, given its name.

I love fresh, natural-smelling jasmine and Jasmin et Cigarette has it to spare. I actually think the "cigarette" accord of the fragrance also contributes to the interest of this scent. It dampens the more narcotic aspects of the jasmine and keeps it from being too cloying.

Wearing it is like getting the best aspects of both jasmine and the act of cigarette-smoking, without the nicotine stains, bad breath, stinky clothes, etc. As an ex-smoker who was raised by parents who smoked, I admit: I find something comforting and satisfying in this scent.

The scent has good sillage and longevity. Well worth a try if you enjoy jasmine scents.

Swimming against the stream here.

The opening is a floral / fruity buquet that has an acidic feel similar to a fruit salad left marinating for a whole day with a little sugar. In the drydown things get a little better with a shy note of tobacco recalling more of a tobacco leaf than an ashtray. Nothing spectacular or particularly interesting. I was so curious about this fragrance as I loved the concept behind it but, honestly, I expected something more challenging and uncompromising. All I got is an ok scent with a moderate sillage and no more than reasonable lasting power.

Rating: 6.5/10

Natalie467
Natalie467

All I can say is this smells like I've just walked out of a New Age shop, or a New Age/Tobacconist shop, is such a place were to exist. Jasmine et Cigatette smells like a very fine tobacco, something I'd rather smoke than wear.

Edited to add: I kept my tester vial of this on my desk, and last night I'd get a whiff of something, and kept thinking to myself, "What smells so good?" Wouldn't you know it was the Jasmine et Cigarette! Perhaps I was too quick to judge, it does smell good, I think it's the Jasmine that's attracting me, but the Jaz doesn't last very long. The drydown isn't me, I think it would smell better on my husband. If I tell him it's for women he won't wear it, if leave that info out and just tell him it's expensive he'll wear it. :)

Would I go and buy a bottle of this? Nope.

Would I try other fragrances from Etat? Yes. NOT the "dirty" smelling one, though. (Ok, maybe out of curiosity I might).

joon
joon

delicious, like jasmine and a packet of good quality tobacco. not too sweet, very fresh and complex, very unisex in my opinion (but i like nontraditional male florals)

jeca
jeca

As Antoinette, I got a lovely jasmine note with an interesting note of a freshly rolled or crashed cigarette. It's not a smoke as I supposed, but the note of fresh fill of a cigarette, I used to destroy a lot of my grandpa's cigarettes as a child to see what was inside, and I loved the smell.

And jasmine contains this nuance itself (here it's just accentuated by tobacco), that is why the composition is so harmonious. I think this fragrance would be great on a man ;o)

Yamba1
Yamba1

I have to say I would not wear this. Whilst I appreciate the artistry of the composition the opening of jasmine is quite uncompromising yet not uplifting as white flowers should be. The tobacco mingles right from the start and produces a somewhat depressing mood on me. Although I've never smoked, I've never had any aversion to smoke or tobacco. I was hoping for something french and sophisticated, but to be honest, if I smelled like this for real, I'd be popping the peppermints.

om
om

In search for tobacco fragrance, I tried this one. Unfortunatelly, I found jasmin here opening and dominating the whole fragrance the same way as in Jean Patou Joy - beoynd of my ability to love it:(
Around this jasmin here, all other notes only wisper silently..
Next day testing strip smells very fresh, all notes sings harmony in nice blend and non of them is dominating. Wonderful! Would fell for it, if was possible to skip first 3 hours of jasmine terror:)

rednose
rednose

straightforward with no ambiguity. This scent is exactly what it says JASMINS & CIGARETTES. This is the scent of reality, bittersweet. It reminds you that while there are fancy shops & restaurants, there are also dark alleys and gutters.

The tobacco scent slowly clears up for the jasmine to appear almost singularly, like a cabaret singer sliding under the sheets of her bed after a night's singing; in the calmness of her sleep, forgetting there has ever been any hazy smoke inhaled into her lungs.

The opening of this scent smells exactly like my jacket after smoking Jasmine cigarettes in the 80s. Then it mellows some and becomes more Tonka, tobacco smoke and for some reason Apricot. Lots and lots of apricot. Over all, it's very much like the experience of smoking a jasmin cigarette except for the apricot note. There's tobacco smoke, so much so that violent non-smokers will object to this scent and there's a faint metallic edge, just like the gold-foiled filter on the brand I used to smoke. The apricot is new, but other than that, it's a great stab at recreating a place, time and experience.

sfsassy
sfsassy

I love this line. The names are cheeky and the scents are really different. They do not really smell like a lot of traditional scents.

This one is my favorite in the line. It smells like a french model smoking in some sexy runway couture. Floral and Smokes (but a nice smoke)

Oh la la

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

Imagine yourself in a flower shop admiring a bouquet of jasmine as another customer walks in smoking their cigarette. This was my first impression of this scent.

As a male searching for a floral masculine scent, I continue to be surprised by ELdO, finding a balance of femininity & masculinity.

It opens up with a seductive & playful notes of jasmine mixed with hints of apricot and tonka bean.

As it begins to warm down, smoky cedar and musk notes are introduced.

If I was to start smoking, this would be a nice way to do it. You get the scent of the smoke while enjoying your bouquet of jasmine w/o the nicotine.

This is a fragrance for anyone who is confidant and does not mind blowing a little smoke into someone's face.

Antoinette
Antoinette

This opens with a clean, fresh jasmine note before turning a corner to reveal a sweet, leafy tobacco presence, not a smoked cigarette in an ashtray, but a freshly rolled one manipulated through the fingers of a woman waiting for a light. At once both illumination and shadow. And like a cigarette, this is satisfying yet fleeting.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d`Orange 3.94 out of 5 based on 311 ratings and 58 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etat Libre d`Orange Jasmin et Cigarette fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Etat Libre d`Orange Jasmin et Cigarette, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d`Orange. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d`Orange represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.