Designers » D E » Floral « Groups

Putain des Palaces Etat Libre d`Orange for women

Putain des Palaces Etat Libre d`Orange for women
dislike

leather
Putain des Palaces Etat Libre d`Orange for women Pictures Putain des Palaces Etat Libre d`Orange for women Pictures

Sheer sensuous fantasy. The powdered top note evokes a woman who dresses for seduction – a soft trail of lipstick, the rustling of lace. The intimate ritual of a femme fatale who sees right through the fragile armour of men. Her sophistication is intriguing, as is the commerce she makes of her body. Under the bitter-sweet touch of almond, like a secret that unfolds, comes a hint of supple leather, fluid and flexible, that introduces what is to come : a boudoir, fingers that tighten on a leatherette sofa and the palpable presence of raw desire. Doesn’t every woman have the fantasy of being a temptress in a hotel bar, of yielding to desire in the intimacy of a lift or of giving way to sensuality in silk sheet luxury ?

Composition: Rose absolute, violet, leather, lily of the valley, tangerine, ginger, rice powder, amber, animal notes...

Nose for this fragrance is Nathalie Feisthauer. Putain des Palaces was launched in 2006.

Leather Ginger Amber Mandarin Orange Violet Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Powdery Notes Musk

Les Fleurs: Violette
Citizen Queen
Evening Edged In Gold

Putain des Palaces Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Putain des Palaces by Etat libre d'Orange is a leather scent with fruits, rose-violet powdery notes, aldehydes, perhaps cedramber, an ambery-resinous sweet base and a couple of notes which honestly I can't identify: "something" quite pungent and sour, and "something" dusty but kind of sweet, like the smell of old paper (I guess it's that rice thing). Now, initially the composition seemed nice to me, as there is a lot of contrasts which are more "juxtaposed" than melted together; it may sound strident, but instead it works, and I appreciate the idea of working on "clashes" instead of harmonies - at least partially. The leather accord, for example, it's not a soft/plushy suede note as you would expect with fruity-floral notes; instead it's quite dry, dusty and austere, really synthetic and pungent. So this idea of working on bold contrasts is nice, but personally I don't find it particularly interesting or fascinating - or, to better say: it works... for a while, but once I got it, it's not enough to keep my interest "alive", and the scent starts to become a bit boring. Mostly because there is not much else, the scent is not particularly elegant or pleasant, the quality smells quite average (if not mediocre) and the evolution on my skin is almost absent. It's like going to see a comedian repeating the same sketch over and over. And that is the problem I have with other Etat libre d'Orange, as they seem to be unable (or unwilling) to, say, elaborate their "clever & provocative" ideas. Another niche scent featuring more smoke than "substance", but not among the worst ones of EldO.

Musume
Musume

I think suggestion is a powerful thing, maybe if any of us smell this perfume without knowing the name we would never find the skanky notes, I tried to do an exercise of impartiality and reached the conclusion that this is a beautiful rose-violet perfume with a nice touch of rice powder and musk. Sexy in a flirty, but innocent way, maybe my skank-o-meter is very high, but I don't really find anything raunchy about this scent. For powdered skank I'd use some Boudoir, even Histoire de Parfums Moulin Rouge (now I can't remember the date lol), but not PdP. This putain is more a tease than anything else. Very pretty all in all.

CourtneyBeth
CourtneyBeth

Ugh. Smells exactly like baby wipes. Nothing interesting about it, honestly.

fiouu
fiouu

Love the name, the fragrance? It likes to slumber zzzzzzz. Powdery violet. Good? Not so much for niche. Bleh

stacia79
stacia79

All dolled up in her leather bondage gear and heavily baby powdered to prevent chafing.

MyNoirBeehive
MyNoirBeehive

Whoa, no no no! I get a funky stink of BO wrapped in powdery amber, no thank you!
Putain des Palaces is a NO for me...

icingsugar
icingsugar

All I get is powdery violet. I like violet, but I expected more umph.

Q80
Q80

i really can't understand!! allot of reviews states it is powdery, lovely, and feminine!! but what i smell is nothing but a woman who had intermediate cardio workout and then sprayed flower fragrance while she was sweating!! exactly like trying to hide the smell of a sweaty armpit using a flower perfume!

if i meet any lady having this on, i'll definitely ask her to take a bath indirectly :p

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Another Frederic Malle comparison: This smells like the feminine version of "Dans Tes Bras" which is very dense and dark violet with a dirty mushroom note.

This is far more light, ambery, musky, boozy, and I find that both main floral notes: the violet and the rose and beautifully blended and juxtaposed.

Both flowers are olfactory divas and demand their own space. In this concoction they are given ample room to exude their aura for you can really see them standing far apart with all the other ingredients, separating them.

Perhaps, the rose is the male component, the fainter part, meaning the protagonist of this story, still wears a bit of her male client's scent, while oozing plenty of her own (violet = feminine side).

The perfect "lady" to wear this would be Dita von These. In fact this should be her own scent. Her signature.

10/10 for a modern violet reference scent.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Very powdery amber that is very similar to BBW Sensual Amber, but a touch softer. Luckily, it changes just enough to become a soft, sweet and warm cozy scent. For me, it's very pretty but not different enough. Maybe once I'm out of the other one I will replace it with this.

sensuous@midnight
sensuous@midnight

"mmmh tu sens bon, tu as mis quoi ce matin?
Putain des Palaces..."
the embarrassed faces I get for that reply are just...priceless :)
so far I get a lot of sweet violet, and it reminds me of my grand-mother (who was not a palace hooker, no no).
when I think of what a sex worker's perfume could be, or what a sexually open woman's perfume could be, I think of something muskier, or heavier on civet, I think of CK's Obession, for instance, indeed when I wear Obsession I feel hot & sexy.
Putain de Palaces is rather soft, harmless, and sweet.
I'm gutted, I tought everybody in the office would jump on me this morning :)

lvscents
lvscents

She paces to and fro following the scars on the old wooden floor. The faint sound of laughter reaches her ears from the tavern below. The logs crackle and shift in the fireplace. The flames of the candles dance showing the paths of the breezes that meander around the room.
The ring of hooves outside the window cause her to jump.
Merde! She has caught her silken gown on the thorns of the roses that the Inn Keeper's Wife had placed on her night stand earlier.
She pinches her cheeks, tugs at her tight bodice, takes a breath and closes her eyes.
The door handle rattles, she gasps but refuses the urge to open her eyes. Her heart races in anticipation of his warm breath on her neck, the soft whispers in her ear, the feel of his rough fingertips
trailing down her neck.
An alluring scent reaches her nostrils, the smell of his fast, galloping journey on the beautiful warm blooded stallion now being stabled in the courtyard of the Inn.
She trembles as she hears the jingling of buckles being undone, heavy clothing falling on the floor .. her breath quickens ...
.. and the rest is up to you!
I feel that this fragrance should be worn with it's name in mind and in situations to suit. It's very different and I love it.

angelayio
angelayio

warm, creamy, sweet, but most of all an airy scent. I tried it yesterday when I went to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel. Perfect choice, the PdP interpreted so literally the era of the movie and transfered me back in the 30s.

Marquise
Marquise

Sorry for that but I don't feel any temptation, probalby I should... Mandarin orange note is not sexy at all. Very powdery, theatrical, false. Suits to Drag Queen or horny old lady. :) Nothing crazy. It is original, but I'm disappointed. Maybe Putain tried to seduce, but it didn't work. :)

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

Mugler with balls. Literally. Take the deliciousness and addictiveness of angel but add freshly washed and aroused male genatalia. Its THAT musky. Horny as f***. A beautiful experience that I've never smelled in anything else. Plus it's a beast for sillage.

Roses and Spices
Roses and Spices

This is a very powdery scent and on dry down the violet seems prominent. I have only tried a sample and it smells different on different days and is probably susceptible to heat. A couple of years ago there was as popular JLo scent called Glowing. A lot of teenagers wore it and it used to gust past in waves as 15 year old girls wearing 4 inch heels and a face of make up stood at bars with fake ID. They looked glam and smelt of JLo. This perfume reminds me of them. The smell is not entirely dissimilar. Think along the lines of Britney Spears. In my case I wash it off. Anyone want the remainder of the sample.......

hadassa
hadassa

I have to say that I really like the name of this perfume. It is not tasteless nor is it meaningless. I think it's a funny joke, considering all these people who keep coming to perfume boards in order to inquire "Which perfume is THE SEXIEST?11"
Well well, in the quest for the-sexiest-perfume, please find Putain des Palaces and rejoice.

Now to the perfume itself: I am certainly one of those who does not get any skank at all. No old/oily makeup either. On me it's a lovely, fresh, sweet, creamy violet scent with a leathery edge, without any animalic undertones or anything bodily.

I mainly get powdery violets, slightly spicy ginger and sweet tangerine along with warm amber and a hint of leather, with etatlibreade in the dry down (ginger, amber, leather). Very classy and expensive smelling perfume, especially alluring in cold weather. I tried it in summer, too, and it's a no-go for me, as while exposed to heat and sun, PdP gets this slight metallic undertone I don't like. This is probably the only flaw of this creation.

Both sillage and longevity are excellent, thumbs up.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

More like Escort des Motel really. I mostly get leather and a fecal/indolic note (similar to that found in Goutal's Songes and Penhaligon's Amaranthine)

The two notes aren't married together with any sense of harmony so to me this is a very literal idea of a sweaty woman wearing a nylon dress sitting on a leather sofa

It's interesting that the two classic animalic accords of leather and indoles don't add up to sexy in this perfume, but that's probably dependent on what people find sexy. The animalic leather in Cuir de Russie is sexy because it has an aura of pared down luxury, and a touch of soap

The indoles in Songes are sensual because the florals conjure up humid jungle and beach holidays so I suppose the association is of healthy, happy sweat.

I think the Etat perfumes aim to be arty and different, but in a way their approach seems too literal

amandaj1024
amandaj1024

This scent reminded me at first of a pool hall- talc, cheap perfume, and an undercurrent of dirt. Then I noticed the lipstick scent and the perfume began to smell like the backstage makeup room at a theater. I wouldn't say its a bad smell, just not one that I would like to smell like.

Putain des Palaces is possibly the softest and most inoffensive fragrance from Etat Libre d'Orange. The question on everyone's lips, "will Putain des Palaces make me smell like a hotel whore?" The answer is no.

I don't consider this fragrance sensual or suggestive in any way. It's a somewhat clean and powdery floral, heavy on the iris and rose. The drydown is comprised of musk and amber, and it must be said that the leather note is not particularly dominant on my skin.

Putain des Palaces smells smooth and feminine on me, a light whisper of a scent, one that wears almost like a skin scent. Of course chemistry is of utmost importance when it comes to wearing anything by Etat Libre d'Orange. Their fragrances will either captivate your senses or leave you feeling unmoved.

Admittedly Putain des Palaces is not my favourite from this niche brand. I do like its powdery floral quality, however I wish it were stronger and perhaps more animalic. At present it smells far too polite and reserved.

The projection is very soft on me, and the longevity average. When I think of raunchy, I'd more than likely choose to wear Vierges et Toreros. If I choose to smell like a lady, then I'd wear Putain des Palaces.

treerunner
treerunner

What little orange there is up front quickly vanishes, uncovering non descript flowers with violet enveloped in a few puffs of powder and a touch of cumin. All on a slightly musky amber base. Sexy, but in a transactional way - There's a sort of distant, even, professional feel to it. Not intimate.

Nicely balanced in it's own way and would really work on the right person as an evening out amongst strangers kind of scent...imgagine rocking this at a classy hotel bar.

cwolf
cwolf

This has got to be the most downright unashamedly sexy perfume I have ever smelt, hands down. Its not trying to smell anything but sweet and leathery. I'm absolutely addicted. Could not think of a more office inappropriate scent.
If I was a man, and I smelt this on a woman I would be obsessed with her.

Animalic, leather & amber. Very, very skinclose. I think maybe this could be an unisex-scent. I don't get any flowernotes at all. Not for me, and I like the mix of leather/amber/musk in other perfumes. I spray this on my back of my hand and waited 20 minutes. 20 cm away I can't smell anything, 10 cm away I can't smell anything, but if I put my nose to my skin, I can smell a weak scent. Not worth buying.

Djurisk, läder & amber. Väldigt, väldigt hudnära doft. Kanske kan denna vara unisex. Jag får inga blomnoter alls. Inget för mig som annars gillar mixen läder/amber/musk i andra parfymer. Sprejade på handryggen och väntade 20 minuter. 20 cm ifrån handen så känner jag ingen doft, 10 cm från handen så känner jag ingen doft. Om jag kör ner näsan i huden så känner jag en svag parfymdoft. Inte värd pengarna.

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

Today I tried Putain de Palaces, and I say now with no reservations that this is one of the most awful, overtly sexual, stomach turning scents that I have ever encountered. The animalic note in this scent is overbearing to me, so much so that I couldn't pinpoint or sense any other note in the whole composition. I've smelled and worn some very disagreeable and/or strange scents before, but very few have ever been so bad that I would literally scrub them off with hot water, soap, and a wash cloth. The only two that have ever earned that infamous distinction have been CK's Obsession and Lolita Lempicka, and now Putain de Palaces has joined their ranks. It was so bad that after scrubbing I doused myself with Paris Hilton, the closest sample I had laying nearby, just blindly reaching for anything to mask the awful stench of PdP. I can handle sexual, animalic notes in other scents, as long as they are on the fringe and not front and center. For instance, I love both Mugler's Womanity and Luten's Feminite du Bois. This however, is too much for me. Kudos to whomever can wear it!

Very ambery, warm, sweet, creamy on me. I don't get leather unfortunately, neither do I detect much powderiness or makeup scent (a disappointment for me since this is what I was looking for).

This is ridiculous that amber is the most prominent note on my skin, and it is THAT strong. I haven't expected that. So, if you aren't into heavy amber, no blind buys here.

However, the perfume itself is very beautiful, multifaceted, long lasting and certainly worth trying.

I see why people find it similar to 'Citizen Queen', but, on my skin, these are perfumes with completely different characters. CQ isn't that heavy on amber, and it is less dense and much less sweet. I would say that CQ smells 15 years younger than 'Putain' ;)
I also find JHAG's creation more refined, but that's just me and my skin.

antfarm
antfarm

Putain des Palaces reminds me of Amadeus' wife in the movie Amadeus, with her powdered wig and abundant cleavage in the scene where they are necking under the table. Indeed, this is a sweaty, warm, powdery scent. It's not animalic in an offensive way, it just has a buxom, lived-in quality that makes you pause and believe it is the scent of the wearer, not the scent of the perfume.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I find this very similar to Juliette Has a Gun Citizen Queen and indeed can see similar notes in their respective pyramids, namely amber, rose, leather, powder and musk. Putain des Palaces stars violet whereas CQ has Iris as the leading lady and in my opinion, this works better and makes CQ a more more sultry composition. Putain des Palaces for me is a well behaved feminine floral that steps a little to the left of conservative. The amber and leather dont dominate the scent, its all about the powder, but they do leave you wanting a little more. Compared to others in the sexy vamp genre, I would only give this a 5/10 , as it is just a little too bland for me.

Thanks Scorpiosheep for the sample!

noori
noori

This was the one of ELDO's scents which made me the most curious: powdery notes, leather, "slutty"? On the paper it was a dash of powder, powder and powder, with some other notes standing in the background, impossible to identify them. However, on my skin it became different. The ginger note holds on quite for a long time on me, until it slowly gives in to the powdery violet (the rose is only noticable). The leather is not as prominent as I expected it to be, but it still stands in the background. Not as daring as I imagined it to be, it is rather sensual than sexual to me.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

I havent read other's review here on PdP and wasn' t aware that this one was the "hotel whore". Funny thing, when I sprayed this one on, it has this sort power that draws you to it...I got th floral notes first. Then after 10 mins, it gave off this pang of leather which appealed to me because it sent a mental image of a sexy woman in leather boots and corset who is standing by the bed at a luxury hotel and ready to tease and play. I consider the leather note plays hide and seek... at first sniff you get the florals then the leather reveals itself for a while but hides itself agin then we are back again to the floral notes. Blew my mind! :)

hermyonee

Really, I also get a redhead lady... dressed in satin corset; I feel the smell of her make up, violet scented rice powder for her face, the rose notes of her cologne, leather gloves... this could be Satine from Luhrman's Moulin Rouge, Nicole Kidman. There is something a bit slutty in here, but it's so vintage, and still charming, appealing, not vulgar at all.I can see some smoky cabaret, or a rococo kitch brothel lounge with red velvet sofas and golden mirror frames.
I tried it again, I like it, it's on my Xmas wish list! :-)

hermyonee

this makes me definitely thinking of Buz Luhrman's Moulin Rouge, which I'm btw a big fan; it perfectly fits its name, it's retro', provocative, sultry... but never vulgar to me. The powdery and animalic notes are well balanced, and even the violet, that I usually can't stand for it makes me immediately sick, but here it's just wonderfully creamy, not too sweet, in a candy way, and the leather note gives that "sexy - slutty" maybe some call it dirty feeling? Definitely something I'd try again on skin, maybe on my wish list! For sure, ELO is at least trying to offer something new and original, and breack the rules and standards, wich even in niche brands are getting stronger, narrowing the freedm & creativity that we usually expect from them, and that we are willing to pay... but that should be another debate!

heatherine
heatherine

Putain des Palaces did not hold up to my high expectations based on reviews and my sampling of other ELdO fragrances. It is quite lovely - powdery, violets galore drying down with the leather and spice quite nicely and frankly, very well-behaved. I don't understand the slut reference at all. Perhaps if I doused myself in this while wearing nothing but a red feather boa and pin-up-girl pumps I may feel a little slutty, but goodness, I could wear Petits et Mamans and feel slutty doing all that. However, when worn as a normal fragrance with a spritz here or there and a day-to-day outfit, it's just...meh. Honestly, it reminds me of Hilary Duff With Love. Sillage is great, longetivity excellent as well. If you enjoy violets & leather, powder and spice, definitely sample Putain des Palaces...but also sample Duff's With Love, perhaps you'll save a little money.

I was not sure if I had to put PdP in the dislike category, but for sure I don't like it on my skin and generally not even on others. Ok, I don't know many people wearing this.
The problem with PdP is that as for 90% ELDO's perfumes it's all about marketing, rough symbolic images, curious names and high price. This makes "niche".
Well, this niche is especially that kind of niche. You make an average powdery smell, you throw some dirty edge and associate with sex pre or post, doesn't matter, as long as it is sex in the wearer's mind. We are sensitive people here when it comes to perfumes and it's quite easy to play with our imagination.
Take PdP out of the fancy bottle with the allusive "key&lock" drawing, fill a blank bottle and go around spraying people. You will receive very mixed results.
The initial blast is lively, then on my skin it becomes a stale powder/woody smell. Not so sexy IMO and not even for other people. I noticed that many ELDO don't work with my chemistry, so I'm not sure if it's about my sense of smell, my chemistry or quality.
This PdP smells quite heavy, probably meant to be so, not my kind. I much prefer L'Artisan Ambre Extreme for a powdery-bedroom yet sweet smell.

muskymoi
muskymoi

The powder, florals, and rose make this smell like pre-coital arousal rather than the post-coital stink of a bedroom with closed windows. I feel positively virginal wearing this; albeit a virgin living in a brothel...

The leather and animalic notes do all the dirty work here, however little there is of it...

definitely a love (since I own it) and definitely safe for the office or brunch with your devout mother-in-law.

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

I read all these "OMG, so dirty - and leathery!" comments and how people were reminded of Bal a Versailles.

To me this smells like sweet 80ies lipstick and orange water baking essence. I waited for the leather to appear, and waited, and waited... Putain- still waiting for you.

Absolutely no skank here, zero. Apparently my skin disarms skank. Gonna sample it again in 2 weeks at a different time, maybe chemistry will be different.

frogsnsnails
frogsnsnails

This is a naughty girl that needs to be spanked for being gorgeously sexy. It rides on the rim of being raunchy while refined at the same time but after a while reins itself back in and stays refined and remains a slightly dirty musk. Such a well blended mix. I absolutely adore this fragrance, and it is definitely FB worthy. I don't think I needed to sample this beforehand; I could've bought this unsniffed---it's that good. Be prepared to be up to no good with this one.

molliedollie
molliedollie

Putain des Palaces is a heavier affair!

Small aside: although ELd'O gives this in English as Hotel W**re, "hotel" in French is generally "hôtel." I've never heard of a hotel being called a "palace." The gist is expensive prostitute either way. They should have gone the whole nine yards and called it Pute des Palaces... "pute" is even more vulgar than "putain." Then I could have gotten onboard with the "palaces" thing. Alliteration. ;)

Like Jasmin et Cigarette, to me it feels unashamedly retro. But the prior is at home in smoky 1920's speakeasies, whereas Putain des Palaces is comfortable in the crowded Moulin Rouge of the 1900's. It's an opaque whirl of roses, amber, leather, and something akin to old-style cosmetic powder.

If it was a set of colors, I'm positive they'd be contrasting ones.

This may sound like a road to disaster, and certainly you have to like some strong scents in order to wear it. There's extreme silage on me, too. Yet there's a synthetic- almost plasticine- edge about Putain des Palaces that keeps it loud and as one might expect, a tad dirty, rather than reminiscent of the inside of a handbag.

But I would often rather have suggestive than demure when it comes to perfume, which I know isn't everyone's preference. Suggestive doesn't have to equate to trashy. There's something delicious about it when it's done properly!

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I was really intrigued by the name of this scent. This is sexy-skanky. A whole lot of rose petals, a whoomp of baby powder, musk, amber and ginger. A heady mixture. Warning: be gentle with the spraying, this stuff has a lot of power. Not for the faint hearted or those looking for a graceful elegant scent. This isn't Grace Kelly. This is Dita Von Teese whirling in her martini glass. I'm changing my mind from like to love the longer I sit wafting in this concoction. Me thinks this goes on the wanted list for next splurge. Try a sample if you are curious. I think this would get mixed responses. But it gets a thumbs up from me.

I have to add that Dante, my cat who is a perfumista himself adores this scent, like beyond!!! He was going absolutely crazy over me after I had accidentally been too liberal with the spraying. Thank god he's spayed, otherwise there might have been an accident! :)

It took me a long time to recover from my testing of Etat Libre d'Orange Sécrétions Magnifiques and to muster up the courage to test more perfumes from this line, but I am happy that I did. So far I have encountered some very worthy creations--some more worthy than others, but all interesting in their own right. (Except for SM, of course)

My latest pleasant surprise is that I quite like PUTAIN DES PALACES! The opening evokes memories of Frédéric Malle LIPSTICK ROSE, which I also love (and own), but after that the two compositions diverge somewhat, with LIPSTICK ROSE becoming more of a waxy rose perfume, while PUTAIN DES PALACES becomes more ambery and dark, with a leathery edge. The violet and rose are still detectable in the drydown, but they are buttressed by the darker components. I would not describe this scent as "skanky" and to those reviewers who compare PUTAIN DES PALACES to the smell of dirty private parts, well, I'm not sure what to say.

One concern is that if some people really do perceive it in that way, then should it be worn only in private contexts, just to play it safe? Or should we throw caution to the wind, and not worry what other people think? Well, in any case, I certainly think that PUTAIN DES PALACES smells great.

Call me a "Hotel Whore", if you must!

adesoprano
adesoprano

I find it very similar to Creed - Love in black, and prefer this one because is it much cheaper. What i get is a very powdery violet with some leather.

cryptic
cryptic

The name is a bit problematic. My college French has all but disappeared, so I refer to this fragrance in my mind by the English translation, "Hotel Whore." Much to my embarrassment, the last time I wore PdP I was asked the name of it and blurted out, "Paris Hilton." Oops...talk about a Freudian slip.

Stupid name aside, Pdp is a deft blend of ginger and powdery violet, with leather and animal notes emerging that conjure up Tabu and Bal a Versailles. What may strike others as raunchy comes across to me as warm, languid and luxurious. Sillage is big and longevity is excellent.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

A mix of sweet floral and metallic notes, Putain des Palaces isn't quite as shocking as I expected. Whilst I love the floral and ginger notes, I can't pick up the leather note and the animal note just smells like metal to me!

Eyla
Eyla

name of this scent is totally on the spot for me because I like to imagine it as the smell of Wu Zetian, the only Empress of China (the touch of ginger), who among the thousands of imperial concubines fought to be the first pillow whisperer (powder of rose and violet), who has poisoned her son because of the fear he could take her throne when he grows up (bitter mandarin) and who was known for her brutality (strong smell of leather).

it smells like expensive makeup and refined powder with a bitter herbal lily of the valley-leathery note, nicely blended, as royal mistresses ought to smell, the ones that all women gossip, but are afraid of, and all men want in their bed.
vanilic amber suggest her sensual movements and hidden repressed tenderness.
because she really is hard-to-get, but she smells like a man's woman, male scent marked, as she is always dressed to dazzle, but wearing a faint presence of the odor of a recent animalish naked male skin.
This fragrance certainly tickles your imagination!
and today more than ever, everyone can easily be sliped with a label (someone calling you 'those names', but in modern society these labels are also stripped of it's meaning), so there should be no taboo in wearing such a beautiful fragrance with a given provocative title.

EDIT: in many places, I came across the information about the notes different from those mentioned here:
'absolute rose, violet, leather, lily of the valley, mandarin, ginger, rice powder, amber and animal notes'

JessiSwe
JessiSwe

On me it doesen't live up to it's provocative name. I expected sexy, decadent muskiness, I expected it to be dirty, animalic and erotic - I expected skank! But on me it´s quite a tame creamy floral, rose and violet with an almost cloying scent of old make up and baby powder. And something about it makes me think of wax crayons... Some reviewers have found it spicy and leathery but it isn't on me, unfortunatley. I had such big hopes for this one but I have to admit that I don't like it. I think that my skin tends to make scents really creamy and sweet and since this is creamy and sweet from the beginning it gets a bit too much and I almost get nauseous. Maybe it's better on someone who's skin brings out the leather and pepper.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

Putain to my nose is like Bal a Versailles with violets. There is this undercurrent of dirty dusty accord, balanced with citrus in Bal and with violets in Putain and a tad sweeter. I really wished to wear the hotel slut, but she doesn't suit me. Apparently she chooses her clients and not the vice versa...

Edit:
Putain des Palaces, finally you've decided to give me a second chance! I love how you smell on me now! The initial innocent powdery rose violet dance, and then the turn towards something animalic and spicy- still keeping the sweet opening. After the "coitus", Putain wears her clothes again, finishing with the familiar sweet top notes but darker and more mature. I would recommend this perfume to the violet lovers who deep inside wish to move from the "pretty" violet tones, to a "dirtier" violet theme, but still elegant and beautiful. The subtle sweat note IS there, echoing maybe Putain's cousin Secretions Magnifiques (although totally different perfumes), making it appealing to those who, on the one hand, seek to be pretty, but are not afraid to acknowledge and reveal that "naughty" alter ego.

Edid 2: Between Putain's one night stand and its closest equivalent Aimez moi, I prefer (pardon moi Putain) the more potent, more intellectual and mature love!

Moyra
Moyra

Oh my, this is lovely! A little violet-y, powdery, juicy and spicy at the same time, but specifically just really pretty, and a good warm season fragrance.
I ran to buy this after I fell in love with it when my little sample broke and I had to quickly douse myself in the juice.

It lasts adequately (about 6 hours) with decent sillage,but there's some magic synergy among the ingredients in there that makes it VERY full bottle worthy to me - maybe the violets and leather, maybe the vague intimation of face powder, but oh my!

Since I bought the FB, I find it is my go-to perfume for when the situation calls for that lady-like, somewhat "conservative" and "understated" vibe. Trust me when I say that the "conservative and understated" part of that statement is a major stretch for me, so every little drop of this purportedly naughty but actually very nice perfume helps set the stage.

On another note, I do think that Etat Libre D'Orange has a few perfume names (i.e, Putain des Palaces, Secretions Magnifiques)whose nomenclature exists solely to "epater le bourgeois", i.e., to amaze and shock the middle classes, as it were.
No matter, to those with a sense of humor, the clin d'oeil - wink - in the naming of this grown up pretty-pretty of a perfume is evident.
Love it!

Malegria
Malegria

Heavy on baby powder, violettes, old fashioned oil based make up... very much reminded me of Bijan Nude Women without the aldehydes. Nice! It totally deserves a different name, because it is hard to say what pushed the advertisement people to name it in such a rude way except for sheer pleasure of creating a fuss. Hotel Whore? More like Drop a baby at Grandma`s.

Contessa01
Contessa01

Nothing slutty about this at all and not what I expected judging by its name. To me the mandarin orange, ginger and violet really grab you and are almost overwhelming. I think the ginger just doesnt quite work for me. I prefer the much less in your face Vraie Blonde which is a bit similar to this but much more wearable. That being said if you love ginger and orange notes, try this you might love it.

mocha43
mocha43

Putain des Palaces starts with a cold blast of violet,ginger and a touch of leather. In about a half hour the violet subsides a little and the other floral notes and the musk, tip toe in. But the violet does not allow the rose and lily of the valley to bring their beauty to the show, and the scent remains cold and a little dirty. Lasts several hours. After 4 hours I have to scrub it off and replace it with another scent. So far, I prefer the Sex Pistols of the ELd'O that I have sampled.

ineverwas
ineverwas

Putain des Palaces is a rich, lovely floral perfume, with a noticeable powdery base. Not too strong, sweet or overwhelming (as one would expect from the name), but chic and playful and fairly decent, with a bit of a twist. Not a "putain", not even one "des palaces", if you ask me.

What I like most about it is the ginger and leather spiciness that makes it a bit flirty and spunky, but also cool and nonchalant. It is mischievous, but not in the lusty, purely sexual sense, but rather in an intellectual, preppy way - it smells of intelligence.

adrienn99
adrienn99

seems there is something wrong with my nose but it does smell nasty.

to me this perfume has nothing to do with seduction, this is like 'caught in the act', right in the middle.

It is very tricky though. At instances there is this 'caught in the act' and if you sniff deeper than you are wondering whether your mind is playing games with you? Because then it is orange and powder.

The nose behind is an absolute genius.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I had somewhat clear expectation on what a "hotel slut" should smell like)I thought it would be an extreme violet and rose scent, very sweet and cloying, something like grandma's lipstick and powder scent))

Well, the fragrance wasn't exactly like that: first of all, I didn't find it vulgar or offensive; tho, the initial scent somewhat reminded we of the bathroom cleaners... i guess that's supposed to be "ginger".
then later the violet kicks in and the scent gets powdery, I didn't get any rose here. I will second some of the reviews: there is some dusty dirtiness underneath the scent, but it's quire subtle (at least on me).

Overall, the perfumes sits close to the skin, good lasting power here. I like the dry-down, but not so much the initial stage. I think it's good floral fragrance, very wearable)) worth a try!

marinadinatata
marinadinatata

Old fashioned violet, roses and the fresh note of ginger, brings the picture of this lady, dressed in cream silk underwear around the end of the century,the big boudoir, shaded by crimson velvet curtains in Paris or Venice,, everything in this room is either velvet or silk, spoiling to an extreme.
Creamy undertones hold all this bouquet in place, making it more and more special and intriguing smell, a past time-vintage-always lusty perfume, made for endless nights, no, I dont think its a Greta Garbo scent, but Mme de Bombadour might have had it in her boudoir..... magic,, this and agent provocateur give flowers a different role in perfumes..!

rithacha
rithacha

Thanks pa.princess for throwing in this sample! Forever indebted :)

Putain des Palaces doesn't strike the conventional floral chords. For instance, it immediately reminds me of Indian cuisine. Mint, anybody? Curry? Rosemary? Or is my nose just confused? To me, Putain is rich Chana Masala with mint chutney and yoghurt on the side. Oh so decadent, creamy, and smooth. Buttery and spiced. It melts down your throat in the way only artfully balanced cuisine and calories can. I don't understand how the notes listed create such an olfactory experience.

The notes I *can* pick out, though, are the violet, rose, and ginger. I'm normally not a violet fan, but it is incredibly well-done in combination with the smooth notes so that Putain never becomes powdery on me. Disappointingly, I detect no leather whatsoever on my skin. I suppose that's a good thing, otherwise it might ruin the edibility of the overall combination.

Many of my friends are Indian; I need to have them sniff my wrist and tell me what they think.

Edit: The above was written 3 hours into the test when I, in hubris, thought I knew everything there was to know about Putain. But from that point forward things did not proceed predictably. Putain became richer and creamier and thicker . . . it arrived at a point where it was animalistic and a little nauseating. What was before a savory cream took on a lard-like consistency. Now I understand the connection to the name "Putain des Palaces" - Putain is the story of sensual indulgence and excess and opulence. The extravagant luxury of the palace and the whore, and the disgusting decadence of that place. A little bit of sensuality, a little bit more . . . culminating in an exquisite depravity ultimately trailing off into a fine layer of dust.

I appreciate Putain very very much. After the fourth hour though, it isn't something I'd want on my skin. But definitely a fable for thought.

krisztandra
krisztandra

It smells so specific (ambery, cist-vanilla accord, powdery, almond with a hint of rose) in a nicely sexual way that I'm even blushing every time I remember I'm wearing it

I still have to understand what is the hype around Etat Libre. I received many samples and I'm still experimenting with them but none of them hit me for elegance and refinement. Putain de palaces is not a nice-smelling scent for me. It smells dirty like a woman who doesn't wash frequently and cover herself in old-style powder. It also smells of dusty velvet sofas in a room with heavy closed curtains with no fresh air. Quite old slut.

Tarya
Tarya

Not at all floral, more leather and smokey notes.
Streetwise biker rocker with an attitude and tattoos.

Rouge
Rouge

It smells like baby powder. It's quite subtle, retro and it reminds me of Vivienne Westwood. It's like a less floral Boudoir Sin Garden. I can feel only a hint of light pink rose. The dry down is a powdery scent, nothing offensive, somewhere at the limit between old fashioned and classy.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

My first impression of this was of Dana Fragrance's "Loves Baby Soft" from 1974.

Once it began to develop, the floral notes came to play with hints of ginger.

The dry down was a powdery scent with almond notes.

A very playful fragrance.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

this is my first try at etat libre d orange scents, and i cannot wait to try more! this seems to be one that smells very different on different people, but on me is a subtle orange scent. often, i dislike citrus, but this is softened and thickened by the leather. even the ginger is delicate. nothing notably skanky minus the name. of course, i even think the name is fun.

Eau de moi
Eau de moi

The more I try from État Libre d'Orange, the more I like them. There is a story behind every single fragrance. And the smell of it just brings me back to that story. On me, Putain des Palaces smells like luxury, lust and dust. There is this woman, this sulfurous redhead woman, she loves sex with handsome and rich men only. She lives in Venice and she knows all the old palaces (especially all their bedrooms). Luxury, lust and dust. But, what a great smell...

CharLi
CharLi

I think this is a scent that would have been suitable for Greta Garbo, i agree with jillsy it´s not slutty at all. I like it more than i thought i would. On me it´s a spicy floral scent and the ginger and the lily-of-vally is quite dominant notes.

I get the scents of Makeup, powder, perfume, a faint whiff of female body, clean but distinctly personal. It's actually quite lovely, if a bit strange and it doesn't smell offensive, which some 'personal' notes can. If this working girl (Name means "Hotel Whore") has been working, she's had a bath recently, too.

jillsy
jillsy

Hardly slutty at all, on my skin Putain des Palaces is a spicy rose - strikingly similar to Anglomania (Vivienne Westwood).

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d`Orange 3.89 out of 5 based on 305 ratings and 64 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etat Libre d`Orange Putain des Palaces fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Etat Libre d`Orange Putain des Palaces, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d`Orange. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d`Orange represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.