Designers » D E » Woody Chypre « Groups

dislike

leather
smoky
aldehydic
Rien Etat Libre d`Orange for women and men Pictures Rien Etat Libre d`Orange for women and men Pictures

Nothing is Everything. Do not believe what you first see… under the demureness of the name, the spicy savour of blackcurrant bays and the musky notes of blond suede. Rien is a second skin perfume, a perfume that clings to the body and perseveres in the mind.

Like venial sin on the verge of becoming mortal, irresistible and resolutely pervasive. As light as mohair and as precious as cashmere, the fragrance envelops skin with a powdered caress. It has the meticulous elegance and hypnotic beauty of a modern Dorian Gray, in a feminine/masculine version. An entrancing fragrance that leaves an unforgettable imprint. Utter charm, utterly charismatic. The vanilla/opium accord of the drydown reinforces the addiction. Rien is an essential. A perfumer’s confession.

Composition: Incense, rose, leather, cistus, oakmoss, patchouli, amber, cumin, black pepper, aldehyde...

Perfumer is Antoine Lie. Rien was launched in 2006.

Aldehydes Leather iris Amber Patchouli Oakmoss Incense Rose Styrax Labdanum Cumin Black Pepper

Rien Intense Incense
Parfum de Peau

Rien Fragrance Reviews

ILGIN
ILGIN

Rien has a very rich and powerful formula, a bit masculine.It is like a tribute to vintage spicy perfumes but it doesn't in the least smell old-fashioned. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with civet but it smells beautiful there. Rose in the beginning, leather note is always dominant ( i just love it), spices (some incense in the background), patchouli and bit of an aldehyde effect. Powerful longevity and sillage. LOVE! Full bottle worthy for sure!

carneiro7
carneiro7

Yes, the current formula of 'Rien' is way thinner and only lasts three hours, top. Anyway, still a good fragrance, maybe the best from ELdO.

Wathgwen
Wathgwen

I'm not sure how anyone could say this is 'thin' or performs poorly. One spray on my normally perfume-eating skin lasts upwards of 12 hours, the second-best performance I've ever gotten out of a scent besides Rihanna Rogue. Lasts on clothes for at least a week in the closet. I have a sample, which as far as I know is whatever current rendition in production. I'll miss it once it's gone, because it is downright addictive- and far too expensive. The price would almost be worth it because of the quality of craft apparent in it.

I do have a bone to pick with ELDO in general because I find them off-puttingly pretentious, but have to concede that probably comes with the 'outsider' perfumier territory. I'm glad someone is making scents like Rien, at least.

I am not normally a fan of aldehydes, but here, they are balanced and give some lightness to the fragrance. Not nose-burning at all. These are also sniffable from the spritzer before spraying.

The scent is staunchly unisex. Like Eau de Gaga, elements of both typically masculine and feminine fragrances have been well-blended into something that would work on anyone.

This is STRONG. Despite being slightly powdery, the incense and leather- more like a suede- take center stage almost immediately and don't give up until the next day. There is a resinous, ever-so-slightly sweet depth to it after a few hours. This is one of, if not the, best leather scents I have tried and I wish I could afford an FB.

Immune
Immune

What starts with incense soon becomes civet and shimmering aldehydes. I've read a lot of discussion about suede here, and though I definitely detect that, to my olfactory faculties, leather's not what this fragrance is about, but rather serves as a compliment to the aforementioned animal note.

There are really two wonderful things about this fragrance. Firstly, the silage is incredible. I could ~literally~ smell it before I opened the box. Secondly, the civet, which I think most would agree is a decidedly difficult note for a contemporary perfume, is paired so perfectly with aldehydes. In this way, it doesn't bear too much resemblance to a Victorian-era concoction.

I've had this on for about 20 minutes and my impression is that this is a pared-down version of vintage Knize Ten. It doesn't have the strong oriental aspects of KT, but it is a great blend, if you want strong leather but don't want to feel like your nose has been assaulted. I can see myself swapping for a bottle of this one, but due to the price and the number of strong leather scents I already own I would only buy a bottle at a steep discount.

UPDATE: A couple hours in and it smells like vintage Red for Men but with leather instead of the sequoia note, and not as complex as Red. One day I think I'll try layering Red with my basic leather scents to see if that is similar.

UPDATE #2: Another 1-2 hours and now it smells too "chemical," which, if nothing else, reaffirms my enjoyment of the "vintage greats."

David Churchill
David Churchill

The reformulated Rien smells like a good fake of the 2006's masterpiece.

Sillage: average.
Lasting power: 4 hours.

Edit; they 've raised the price of the 50ml bottles in 5 euros last May. Why, if the bad perfomance of their fragrances remains the same?

K1
K1

An ironic title for a perfume which has too much to say! Rien is leather-wise perfume with modern aspects of classical aldehyde chypres and tarry leathers. The fragrance opens with a strange yet familiar resinous soily smell that instantly promises of a twisty animalic heart, but the animalic nuances come sooner with incense and green bitter leather and muted floral patch…

I avoid to count the notes cause it's as complex and baffling as the notes listed above. Rien is a showy postmodern cuir de Russie composition with more vertexes borrowed from aldehyde, rose and incense. It's long lasting as expected, as spreading massively but pleasantly and not arrogant.
★★★★

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

This I had to do many tests to be able to write something about, I found it difficult to distinguish the notes, and took me time to indentificar them, or what i think they are, and every time I did a test, a new chord surprised me, and his power too, so I start describing it with a word, brutal!

At the exit after sniffing and sniffing repeatedly, he sent me slightly to Tuscan leather, less sweet and more oily, but it was short lived. It's almost like kerosene, but with an aroma that I can not describe otherwise except with the word airy, like when you open the window of a room long closed time. It is possible also feel the leather, a well resinous amber and very soft background a little cumin and pepper.

After 40 minutes the incense comes along with a sweeter flavor and both come kicking the door, but not enough to cover leather, amber and aerated note that I believe are aldehydes, which are the stars of the fragrance on my skin.

After some time the pepper appears a little more together also with a floral accord softening the incense and leather, but without compromising the performance of both notes.

After almost 6 hours begins to smooth, but remains perceptible by a further 2 hours, after I only can feel it approaching the nose of the wrist.

Seriously I need a bottle of about 2 liters of this perfume.

Le parfum c'est chic
Le parfum c'est chic

C'esr grâce au guide de Luca Turin et Tania Sanchez que j'ai découvert ce parfum et État libre d'orange. Un chypre avec un nom pareil ne pouvait que m'attirer. Lors d'un séjour à New York je couru chez Henri Bendel afin de le découvrir. Je suis toujours tellement impatiente de sentir un nouveau parfum. Le coup de foudre fut immédiat. L'originalité et la note d'encens m'a immédiatement séduite. Je voulait tellement porter RIEN...
Paradoxalement, le parfum le plus tenace de ma collection.

antinoo
antinoo

The beauty became a monster. Once, a great mix of incense and creamy leather, sweetened by styrax, now is just about aldehydes. It was my sinature scent for years. Reformulation made it boring, thin and unpleasant.

thehanna
thehanna

Smells like a lighter version of Dzing! without the cotton candy note. Slightly less gluey.

Not what I would think of as a skin scent unless you buying it for a a sweaty cowboy.

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Deri zor bir nota. Bu noktanın baskın olduğu birçok parfüm denedim. Sevdiğim Hermessence in deri kokusu oldu. Pudrali bir deri, yumuşak. Ama çok etkilendiğimi söyleyemem. VİCTORİOUS un Complex ı ise kullananı deri bir kemerle resmen dövüyor. Çok sert ve ağır. Nasıl kullanılacak pek anlamadım. Rien ise yukarıda saydığım iki parfümün arasında yer alıyor. Complex kadar sert değil, Hermessence kadar yumuşak değil ve ikisinden de daha karakterli. Tabiki deri olduğu için dikkatli kullanmak lazım. Koku tam formal ile casual arasında bir yerde. Hava soğuk ise formal klasik bir adama yakışabilir. Sıcakta ise koklayan hayatından bezdirebilir. Ama sevdim bu kokuyu. Tereddüt içinde aldım ve yaz boyunca yanına yaklaşmadim. Ama havalar serinlediginde denedim ve sevdim. Derinin etrafı sarılmış. Baharat, patchouli vb. Var sanırım. En az 20 dk. Teninize denemeden karar vermeyin. Bu parfümü kadınların kullanmasını mümkün görmüyorum. Erkeklerde ise liseden mezun olduysanız tamamdır. Kesinlikle serin havaların parfümü. Nem ve sıcak varsa ulasamayacaginiz bir yere bırakın. Kalıcılık ve koku dağılımı kuvvetli olduğu için fazla kullanmayın.

Just another big no-no for me from ELDO, but this time it is very big, not just meh.
It's so harsh and basically leather, leather, leather! Dusty aldehides in the opening and a punch of sweaty spices.
I'm all for trying everything and I did.
So sorry for the oakmoss, which I like, but the whole composition is sooo heavy to bear. I'm not sure if they tried to make a male Mitsouko here. They failed.

Brock
Brock

I strive to be the man who can wear this gorgeous scent.

modernfumie
modernfumie

Rien smells like an ash tray sniffed through a dryer sheet. The aldehydes make this fragrance thin rather than 'sparkling'. I keep sniffing for depth, but I hit-- ALDEHYDES (eau de dryer sheet; synthetic 'fresh spring breeze'). Boo.

I should add: ash tray isn't always a bad fragrance note. I very much enjoy Jasmin et Cigarettes.

---
EDIT: What I perceive as 'dryer sheet' others seem to read as 'dusty'; at any rate, that would be those cursed aldehydes!

Salvas
Salvas

The name symbolizes the origin of all scents.
If the perfumery was a world, "Rien" would be the smell of the nothingness before the beginning of the world.
It suits a man or a woman, deeply intriguing, authentic and carnal.

Stinkerd
Stinkerd

Wow, this is really, really intense and very incense heavy. I honestly don't smell much besides incense, leather and spices. Almost kind of edible. Sillage is absolutely incredible! Not fit for summer, this would be best (and not too overwhelming) on a cold, snowy winter day..

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Incense/civet/leather! IN CAPITAL LETTERS! but on first sniff, the rose/iris are there too: I thought, oh a floral note or two, before the leather took over. This is strong stuff, it's an I'M HERE, WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? type of scent, and I love it. Sadly the impact is limited to 3 hours, after which it disappears, but what an impact (it probably lasts longer in winter). This is my favourite ELDO - it's not really office-friendly, unless you're the boss. It's the equivalent of Shalimar/Rive Gauche/Opium; i.e. it announces itself with trumpets and leaves a trail through the building. I'm the ideal person for this, as I love civet, incense and leaving part of me in the room I just left. It's exotic and smoky. *adores*

Ambience
Ambience

Rien is quickly becoming my new signature scent.. One spray quickly takes me back to that isolated, burnt out corner of my psych where the bonfires are burning bright :)

hadrian
hadrian

Indeed, RIEN is really powerful and long lasting!
Cause of those aldehydes, it may be too strong for a lady - but I think it's wonderfully suited for a man.
Leather, leather and leather in between - a citrusy one, but also smokey floral, a bit boozy and balsamic overall. Add some tar and you'll have a picture of this :-) :-) .
Wearing it, you will have a journey through the history of perfumes - as others said below, it's a kind of 30s' vibe and magic plus the contemporary industrial refinement.
Gorgeously laid down and directly emanating off your skin, it is dry, it has an impressive sillage and will give lot of surprises after the first hour.
Antoine Lie gave us a piece of art.
In this case, "Rien c'est tout" - nothing is everything (but remember: everything means here nothing more than 2, max 3 sprays!).
A deserved 9++/10

waruna gomis
waruna gomis

I ordered 2 ELDO's... My firsts
69 and Rien
This one arrived today.

Initial whiff...
....Pretty Strong Stuff!
Its like a Missile just flew over my head, a missile fueled by Zesty lemon peel and Oud Oil. All burnt up and exhausted... Descending to rest on a beach 5 miles from here... Landed with ease without killing a soul.

My Dear Friends of Planet Earth! .... Patience Please !
You need to give this one time to breath. Be at peace with your nostrils for half an hour. Drink Some coffee, Take a break, eat some cake.
Just 2 sprays (max) and all away from your face neck area, It is just that strong and can be nauseating.

I can sympathize with my colleagues who don't like this one.
This one is for the risk-takers and people who simply speak their mind and are not following any social norms or etiquettes. Simply breaks all the rules and enjoys it, because it ticks off the stupids.

After half hour, it starts mellowing down to an apple Skin, Rum, Patchouli and very strong lemon peel sort of Middle Note.

Then it gets all beautiful and mellow and graceful.
The Base notes.. I dont know what they are, just relish it.

It's Wonderful.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Big glamorous leather, patch, incense, not for warm weather or the faint of heart. This one needs big band music during you entrance. It is a smokey, sexy, retro glam sort of a scent.

It's the right sort of scent of a Mae West, big, over the top, sexy, grand. Not a scent for the waifish, gamine or asexual. Not even a scent for the softly sweetly kittenishly sexy Marilyn Monroe type, this is far more over the top, if it has a sound, it's like Mae West's cover of Light my Fire

black_orchid
black_orchid

Rien is immoral, arragont and rude but I love it! I don't care any negative comment or compliment from Rien and also I have never get bad reaction from it. Everybody love it when I wear it. Rien not a whole, a part of everything!

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Rien is a huge, snarling leather and I absolutely adore it. Complex nuclear-powered animalia coupled with some old school patch, oakmoss, smoky incense and a whole bunch of aldehydes. Classic yet boosted to the point of hyper-modernity.
As far as performance: I have a box that I keep all my samples in. Over the years I have accumulated literally hundreds of samples. Everything from Tom Fords to Amouages to Slumberhouses. You know what the box primarily smells of when I open it? Rien. And thats coming from an empty luckyscent sample I purchased over a year ago. This is an atomic bomb. This is a tattoo of a fragrance. I have a jacket I wore months ago that still has a rien-scented collar.
Polarizing in pretty much every sense of the word, and devilishly audacious.
In my opinion, a modern masochistic masterpiece, I absolutely cannot wait to try the Intense Incense version!!

adrienn99
adrienn99

I had high hopes for this one given the leather accord which is a favourite note. However, I must say that on me the oakmoss-aldehydes combo is just too dominant and the leather is subdued. Will have to pass on this one I'm afraid.

Valdas Miskinis
Valdas Miskinis

It smells intriguing rather than pleasant. Drydown is more nice to my nose. I rarely find an occasion to wear it because it is so strange.. First time I smelled it, I thought it is not a perfume - it is just an odor of something. But in an hour it becomes something different. I combine it with LANVIN AVANT GARDE (or BOGART POUR HOMME). Because in my opinion it asks some sweetness. Two sprays of LANVIN AVANT GARDE on the chest and just one of RIEN to both of the wrists. Works on me.

psebi101
psebi101

Aldehydes and leather with incense is how it starts. Big and bold, the leather is a little animalic, at the edge of being offensive. Developing into the heart, something sweet emerges, I suppose it's the styrax. Further, the fragrance becomes a creamy leather accompanied by the flowers and goes like this for a very long time.

It is not for everyone, that's for sure, but I like it. Not usually a fan of animalic perfumes, and this one kind of walks that line; but it is more than that, the carnal leather mixed with the flowers are addictive, making you lust for it. It might seem daring and repulsive, but you can't take your mind out of it. If you don't like it at first, give it a chance, it might surprise you.

Projection: 8/10

Stromboli
Stromboli

Come on dudes, how can you assert that Rien smells good? How would like to smell like this, neither HE nor SHE ( i would not even want my pet dog to smell Rien ). I m French and i can tell you all the hype 'bout ELDO here is nonsense.
Trying to be too original, Rien pleases nobody, girls , women, boys, men .....
Somebody here dared to compare it to CDG Man 2 , ???????????????????
IMHO, this literaly is one of the most unpleasant scent. I offered a colleague my bottle ( she's a woman ) and she just can"t stand it, who could???
We are a nation of "Parfumeurs" and if you come to Paris, don"t shop at Rue des Archives ( ELDO ) but shop the Guerlain shop, this IS Parfumerie Française.

There seems to be general agreement among reviewers that ELdO's "Rien" n'est rien. Is the name a joke? Incense, leather, aldehydes, florals, cumin, musk... it all adds up to a lot more than nothing!

Maybe the concept is similar to combining colors. If you mix together all of the colors on a painter's palette, you'll get a blob of black. If, on the other hand, you superimpose every color of light, you'll get white!

Rien is not a bad scent at all, to my surprise. I usually recoil at the presence of cumin in perfume, but in this case it is considerably mitigated by the much stronger incense and leather notes. This is a dark and somewhat dirty scent, but not off-puttingly so.

I do not know why it took me so long to try this perfume. I recall that someone said that it was ghastly. I respectfully demur and will no doubt wear the rest of my 10ml miniature bottle. It might take me the rest of my life, given the potency of this potion, but I can safely say that I'll wear it again.

icingsugar
icingsugar

James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause.
Blows you away with its rogue power.
I just wish both had been longer lived.

Cylob
Cylob

Oldschool Antaeus on steroids! How I've missed you...
Just wonderful. Can't get enough of this.

flames2
flames2

rien is anything but nothing, i read on a review that someone said it was similar to tom ford london and yes i can totally see that too tho i think london is more smoother, rien is a very strong leather based fragrance which seems almost a joke that they have made a evan stronger flanker to it cant wait to try that one ,i saw the add saying apply with caution well if its stronger than this one wow, if rien was to join a family of various fragrances it would be to say tuscan leather ,dior leather oud and yes tom ford london all share that strong leather note i deff would not be without this gem in my collection

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

Rien ? the name has to be a perfumers' joke. This is one powerful and unusual fragrance that is a million miles from 'nothing', but it will be polarising.

It is about leather/incense, brightened by aldehydes and sharpened acutely by styrax/pepper. Deep down there is a subtle depth and softness from the patchouli and the rose/iris. However, it is not sweet or floral in any way. Initially it also has that almost medicinal/chemical vibe that some oud fragrances can have.

It is pretty masculine, although a certain sort of woman may be able to carry it off. They say Marlene Dietrich wore Knize Ten, well if Rien had been around she probably would have worn it. It's much more Dietrich than Audrey Hepburn. It's not girly or pretty or conventionally 'feminine'.

It has amazing performance and a little goes a long way. It projects, has sillage and it last and lasts.

To carry this off, I would think you have to have a certain maturity, strength of character and self confidence. It works for formal or certain work places, but is not really for casual. It works in both the heat and the cold, but in the heat 'less is more' and a single spray will do.

Initially I was a bit shocked by it, but the more I wear it, the more I love it.

Love it or hate it, it most certainly is not really 'rien', but actually a rather special 'quelque chose'.

Phantosmia Bella
Phantosmia Bella

I tend to fall in love with some new perfume almost on a monthly basis, but I can't remember when was the last time I was so much into a scent.
My former experiences with ELDO were not too successful, and when the saleswoman offered me this scent, my automatic response was to decline. Yet I was in a frisky mood, I guess, and so gave it a go.

Wow.

Yes, there's tons of incense and leather in it, but the greatest impression I got from it can only be compared to opening a brand new gift (or anything new) in crisp, plastic-like wrapping paper.
It has a somewhat artificial note to it, and I love it!
"Rien" has a character of it's own, true, yet it combines magicallly with my skin and creates a smell that doesn't seem to offend anyone (surprise, surprise), but manages to be very impressive.
Coworkers described it as "subtle and gentle yet forceful and mysterious".
Well, I guess I'm very pleased with my new crush :)

imanpower
imanpower

i washed my hand 7 times still there and still too heavy .. BAD BALANCE OF EVERY NOTES.. i like heavy fragrances but this is not a perfume ... nuclear bomb..

pravda48
pravda48

No violence or rugged black leather on me! Also NOT a 2nd skin scent...I get an opening that oddly, absolutely, reminds me of sweetened olive oil. *raises an eyebrow* which is funny since the image they chose for this one seems much more accurate than the description!

As it settles it reminds of a scene rather than a 'thing': dusty heavy curtains & an old sofa in a not so well lit living room in an older house. Sweet tinged musk, dusty furniture and textures, sat on/lived in pieces of furniture add a human smell to the fabrics. Dust dances in light coming in through the (mostly closed) thick fabric (retro style) curtains. A mancave, maybe? Lived in and pungent, somehow a bit comforting in its pungency.

Very interesting. I've never smelled anything like it. It stays slightly sweet and slightly (olive) oily for about 2 hours, then it takes on a cooler, greener tone w/ a touch of styrax now. The oiliness has worn off and it's a tad peppery instead. Sillage is much more mild now (@ 2 sprays).

RE: comments: I do see the mold/pickled reference, as I thought of olive oil and old furniture... not far off I suppose.

Compliments?: None expected, this is a 'for me' scent all the way. It's strange and I don't see many people liking it around me. I think this is for fragrance collectors who like to wear stories and art sometimes vs smelling appealing/pretty. And for those days, I love it.

--Sillage: mod-heavy
--Longevity: 6ish hrs
--Usually apply: 2-3 sprays
--Experience: worn 3ish times (FB)
[9.3.14]

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. On my skin and to my untrained nose, I get mostly incense and black pepper with a hint of styrax. It reminds me of Casbah by Robert Piguet. Good projection and longevity on my skin.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

If you like Comme des Garçons' 2 Man, you'll love Rien. They share much of the same DNA (leather, incense & iris with a healthy dose of aldehydes) and both have a spicy, peppery fizz when you initially smell them. I love 'em both.

petrhsr
petrhsr

Yeah... This stuff is hard-core, baby. I have to say I don't get the bondage/dungeon connotation that many reviewers say that Rien evokes in them, but I do get a huge blast of aldehydes and black pepper on the top, which takes about 2 hours to lighten enough for the Nag Champa-like incense and the darkest, roughest of black leathers to push forward, and all the while with the skanky bum-hole scent of civet lurking in there too.

Rien is entirely unique and utterly gorgeous. I wear it to the office sometimes (one spray, under the shirt), out to social occasions (two sprays on the skin of my neck), but I wouldn't ever wear it to a restaurant or dinner party - it's just too strong too indigestible to be compatible with food.

Over-application should be avoided - I put on six sprays before I went shopping one day, and I saw people making distressed faces in my vicinity. It's also not a fragrance that I would buy blind, because it's not for everyone.

fingerlicker
fingerlicker

This reminds me of Quorum - most hated cologne in my wardrobe among my female friends as I remember. :) Can't imagine a woman wearing this, ugh. But to each his/her own. :)

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

after the first sniff this went straight to my wish list

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

Nice Leather! The first time I smelled this it brought back memories of smelling my fathers Chanel splash cologne with a large black screw on lid, and clear glass bottle...Had to be early eighties.

The opening has a strong initial blast of sharp Leather and Aldehydes then about an hour later slowly starts developing into a peppery, leather, mossy, patchy base...complimented by a slightly powdery incense vibe. Completely different on paper...it leans on the feminine side. On my skin it's completely different, softer, a lot less harsh and feminine. It's as if I was looking for this fragrance since my childhood.

What starts out as a powerful smack across the face turns into a nice soft massage. What starts out synthetic turns convincingly authentic. Personally, I enjoy the opening just as much as the dry down. Unfortunately Rien lacks originality in my book, however remains a respectable, solid fragrance in my wardrobe since my fathers bottle of splash cologne is long gone. Rien has respectable longevity 8-10 hrs. and huge sillage in the opening turning soft after a couple hours on me at least.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Nice scent, but just nice. There is nothing that I can do a miracle. The intensity of leather is original and modern but I do not think I'll use it on me.
PS - I do not know why it reminds me of Back to Black By Kilian....

Scrilla
Scrilla

I get flint and gasoline at first. Jarring but interesting. Like a motorcycle somewhere resting on a dark wet road. It's a thick, worn motorcycle jacket with round silver buttons and tarnished silver zippers. When does it change, and how, I'm not sure but there's a polar contrast that occurs sometime in the fragrance's life when the aldehydes die down and a warm, sweet, fuzzy, soft peach scent lingers on the skin. Still sometimes the worn, harsh leather wafts up from the sweetness from my chest. Are you showing a spectrum of leather from thick black motorcycle leather to soft pink suede? It doesn't matter what it's supposed to be it's a work of art. Constantly changing. When I first reached that soft suede dry down I whispered "oh my god" under my breath.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

A beautiful incense. This genre of orientals is my forte and I own a lot of them. Amouage is my favourite house and they have masterminded frankincense.

This one here is lighter, more aldehydic, meaning more airy and fresh, cooler than the true Arabian counterparts that are soft, warm and richer.

This is almost a contradiction in terms to have a cool, smokey incense....but that is exactly what it is!

Like a black hole in space that sucks you in.

It starts off very floral and wet, just like a fresh arson site, when you can still just feel the heat from the ferocious fire, but the water and the open skies of a cold winter night have already cooled off the site. It is dusty and smokey but there is still a lot of life from the victims that lived here....

Extremely sublime and contradictory but fabulously so.

Possibly even a masterpiece.

9.5/10

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

This is not for the faint of heart.
Leather and incense. Not a gentle incense, not the mystic incense one could smell in a church. I can hardly smell any flower essence in this fragrance, to make it more gentle.
It makes me think of an old trunk full of dusty velvet clothes (with some moth holes), in a haunted house.
Not very wearable, anyway. It smells of something fragrant but unclean. In my opinion a perfume should make us smell better, not worse.
Maybe it could be a masculine fragrance but in that case I think I would stay far away :-)

henri345que
henri345que

The name is just as the opposite as the scent itself. This is far from an almost absent and skin-like musky fragrance and seems much more like a homage to 80's scents. Something on the leathery and smoky woody aroma just make me think of Chanel Antaeus, with plenty of aldehydes at the opening and something dirty going on. It's hard for me to say if it smells cheap or expensive, because it seems to play at both sides at the same time. It's not an easy fragrance to study each note developing and it's one that you have to be very carefully while spraying, it's very strong and if you miss the dose it'll be not pleasant.

CDGfan
CDGfan

This is a very complex scent.
It reminds me of Indian temple dhoop incense and Nag Champa. Floral, animalic, smokey, musky. It has the complexity and depth of those incenses. Introspective, sensual yet bold and aggressive. I think it should be worn in cold weather. Summer is a big no no.

If you love incense and civet. This is a must buy!

muskymoi
muskymoi

Delicious soapy burning paper that relaxes into sexy skin. This is my bag, baby. It ain't pretty and it ain't for virgins. But it's got a femininity all its own.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

"Rien" is perhaps the only 'animalic' perfume I have smelled, as of yet, that has not completely repulsed me. In fact I almost like it.

It has a powerful sensuality, with smoky incense, musky oakmoss, cumin and leather. The florals are dry and powdery and the aldehyde and pepper combo punches deep through your nasal canal, like the smell of seats in a brand new car.

Definitely not something I would wear myself, but I can appreciate it on someone who would.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Gorgeous dark smoky scent. Feels very vintage, it reminded me even of Madame Rochas for the briefest time.
Strong aldehydes, bitter leather, smokey incense, deep rose. Beautiful damp, dark oakmoss.
After the strong, blazing, bitter opening, the scent mellows, the leather becomes softer, the incense more pronounced. The rose becomes more prominent too, and there is a gorgeous powdery feel, although the fragrance still retains some of its bitterness. It's one of those perfumes which will smell very feminine on women and very masculin on men. Not unisex, not even shared, just human.
Strange scent, coming from this playful house, but my god, what a gorgeous one. Classy, distinctive, long lasting.
If you think ELdO is a bit over the top, and you love your classics, do try this one, it is indeed a masterpiece.
Definetly full bottle worthy.

federfigo5
federfigo5

This is a masterpiece. Even if you don't like it, it's worth smelling.
When you first spray it, you get an overwhelming blast of aldehydes, followed by skanky civet, bitter leather and a cloud of black smoky incense. After about 10 minutes everything comes toghether beautifully and sometimes you get an unusual pinch of a note vaguely resembling glue.
After 30 minutes the rose comes in and the civet mellows down to something really fantastic. At this stage, this is Rien:
You are alone in the desert at night, wearing an old leather jacket in front of a campfire where incense is burning.

Masterfully blended: mysterious, sexy and deeply seductive.

fuggerone
fuggerone

smoky leather with incense undertones..solid sillage and duration..one of the best outings from this house!

invaderlark
invaderlark

I just got a sample of this yesterday and it was very unexpected. Based on the reviews here it sounded like a leather bomb but nobody said that this leather was a much much darker leather. This is like the opposite of Tuscan Leather where it's sweet and smelling like an $800 pair of shoes. This smells like the true unrefined leather of a motorcycle jacket. The opening is a lot like Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent but not as urinal cakey and doesn't have that annoying honey note lingering in the background. It's the Aldehydes that are causing this similar smell with a mixture civet. I love it but this is the part that may turn people off. This opening only lasts for at most a half hour and then turns into something truly spectacular! When I sniffed it the first thing that came into my mind is Christmas Tree! it doesn't smell exactly like a christmas tree but to me it smells like a tree and it's wonderful. It's piney with sweet notes mixed with incense, rose, and patchouli. To me this smells like the holidays although I can see this as being an all year long scent. Projection on me was beast mode! Just one little swipe from the vial from luckyscent and I could smell it. I hadn't even put the cap back on the vial! For me it lasts a strong 8 hours so that to me is perfectly fine. The price is really reasonable too. I'll be looking to buy this for the holidays.

Bandit
Bandit

At first, there is leather - lots of beautiful leather. Than there is incence, than there is a church with a faint perfume (like the good ones, Arpege or No.5), not litted candles and still lots of incence. Now it's a piece of pine wood, old and very dry, warmed by the sun. What's next?

I love this kind of incence, whereas most of the time it's paired with spices, which makes it hard to my nose. This take is full of good memories.

Up until now I thought ELDO is not for me, but this little gem is stunning. I'm not sure If I'm able to really wear it, but it is a sweet and dry and earthy and woody and above all leathery perfume.

sussex2
sussex2

Unusually, starts out as a plastic animalic - "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

ninjaove
ninjaove

Smells like rubber toys. or plastic. or scented rubbers/rasers from your childhoold (not in a pretty floral way, no, mre in a strong chemical way), this one have attitude power and more for women than men. and it is on the good side. but maybe a bit hard to wear. a beter one from ELDO.

Lom
Lom

This perfume has very strong incense and leather tones together with sweetness that pops beneath. It opens really strong - I could smell it through the tester - but after two hours it became subtle on my skin.
I like the leather and the incense of this one, but the roses and vanilla are a bit vertiginous. It makes it smell a bit like an old woman's fragrance, or as a friend put it: you need to become an aunt before you can wear this. I guess it smells different when a man wears it, but you need to be very brave to choose it. This is for sure not an office perfume.
It's weird, it's loud, it's synthetic, it's blatant - but I can't stop sniffing it!

Animato
Animato

For some strange reason I wanted to smell this and try out a "foul" smell to see if I could takle it. This was the wrong fragrance for that exact mission. I dapped a little from my sample on my arm a couple of hours ago. It dried down to some wierd fruity incense or something, and has stayed like this for a long time now.

Oh well, the industrial oily and smokey leather couldn't stay for dinner. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know. But I really miss the opening.. and that I was really looking forward to tame a leather-beast of a perfume and make it mine.

This incense fruit thing is not at all as challenging as I thought it would be, but it is never the less very nice. I like how Rien seems too smell very different on people. Or maybe it's just my unexperienced nose who doesn't get it all.

edit:
Okay, I think I get it! The drydown is the smell of a mans skin. On me as a woman, I think it's a little bit too inviting and sexy. But maybe my lovely BF will take it too his heart :)

emily7
emily7

After long-term testing several different ELDO fragrances - with Rien being (personally) the most desirable one of all - I have finally realized: ELDO and I will never be in love and Rien is the ultimate proof since it turned out to be the rare chypre/leather which leaves me completely indifferent.
I cannot exactly pinpoint what smells wrong to me here; is it the styrax sweetened with Putain des Palaces ambery leftovers or could it be the preeminent incense/smokey note which, when finally weakened, leaves behind the previous (otherwise promising) chord of notes united in one, dull tone. Compared to Juvena Nitchevo - since those two seemingly have so much in common - Rien is still struggling with puberty issues; where the first one knowledegeably discusses, the other one is yelling and slamming the door.
Therefore, I agree with below mentioned conclusion - most possibly unbalanced composition.
Hence, with so much of the good stuff available in this group, I will definitely pass on the full bottle of Rien... and thank one farsighted Fragrantica member for deterring me once from impulsive blind-buying it.

SuperUltraFabulous
SuperUltraFabulous

My tentative interpretation of this fragrance is that this really is wonderful, hardcore, loud, and leathery. My 1ml sample opened incredibly strong and then soon after turned into the most wonderful iris root scent. I hate iris root. But I love this. I wish the incense notes and scandalous leather were longer lasting phases.

I will probably buy the 100ml bottle blind and report back :-)

LloydLlewellyn
LloydLlewellyn

I hate leather fragrances, but I love Rien. Even though it features a strong leather note, it is softened by a juicy, fruity undercurrent. Lovely.

beata.janicka
beata.janicka

It smells like an old newspaper on me, but anyway I love it :)

Red Theodora
Red Theodora

I've read quite a few of the reviews here and mostly I see negative remarks. All I have to say is - ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY? This is one of the most magnificent perfumes I have ever smelled! And believe me I have smelled (and owned) a lot of great perfumes. Chanel's Cuir de Russie, Guerlain's Mitsouko (which is my most favorite scent ever!), L'Heure Bleue ( some say old-fashioned, I say classic) -I could go on and on, but I won't.
Anyway, my point is I would put Rien in the same line up as any of the greats. It is a masterpiece of perfumery. And this is said by a 56 year old woman, who only a couple of years ago was afraid to go out of her Guerlain, Chanel, Dior comfort zone. I am out now and enjoying a multitude of new houses and fragrances! Yipee!

diva90403
diva90403

I´m trying to wash it off but it simply won`t fade. It smells like an Indian shop. I can imagine it as an air refresher for my apartment, but as a fragrance... nooo not on my skin. But I think it might be beautiful if it works with your skin. Test before you buy!

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

Etat Libre d'Orange makes a big mistake putting their samples in those sad little vials. Their perfumes should be sprayed to let them breath. Dabbing makes them smell lifeless and boring, which they aren't.

Rien certainly needs some air. There is so many elements in it for you to find. It's like leather times two and then some. I usually use only half of a spritz and that's enough.

Rien is little frustrating too. It makes you wanting to find more as bold and ballsy fragrances as it is, but that's not easy. Even most perfumes in ELdO's own line fall short in comparison.

There aren't many like Rien, probably none.

10-/10

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

I don't GET this one. These days lots of scents are just getting duplicated to death. This smells JUST like Knize Ten, Serge Lutens Chergui and very much like Daim Blonde. There are so many suede scents out there. They all seem to smell the same.

Anyway, it's suede and little else. Smells like a department store leather jacket area. Also has a nice hint of industrial carpet. Ever walk into a new office? Yep, that's what I'm smelling. Not something I'd want to wear. I don't smell anything animalic or balmy or like incense or wood. JUST ALDEHYDES

PsychoTommy
PsychoTommy

As soon as ELDO products arrived to a luxury retailer for the first time in Budapest last week, I went down to sample this perfume, I couldn't wait!

Now, am I the only one who thinks this is nothing out of the ordinary? Having read all the brilliantly outraged reviews here, I was expecting a decent amount of skank. I've been wearing the decant since yesterday, and all I get instead is a very dusty, muted leather warmed up by frankincense and spices. I admit, the leather is a bit chemical/tarry along Bvlgari Black's lines, and the whole thing is as beautiful as only a niche perfume can be, but this is certainly nothing groundbreaking...

Upon first application (spray), there's a striking similarity to Bandit (huge amount of old leather and oakmoss), and a few minutes later it turns into none other than the venerable Kouros itself (hello again, oakmoss and aldehydes) with the leather and incense notes turned up a bit, and the animalic skank (civet) more muted. After about 30 minutes, it's not even that - the whole thing warms up to become a generic leather/frankincense niche thing (along the lines of, let's say, MDO Les Nombres d'Or Cuir), that lasts for quite a time, and projects a little less. In the end, it ends up jawdroppingly similar to Dzing!, without the vanilla and with something camphoraceous in the background (maybe another link to Black's leather notes).

The hype's okay, but if you are looking for a really animalic / chemical / dark leather composition, look elsewhere: Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie eats this thing for breakfast. After an hour, this is less challenging to wear than even Kouros or Salvador Dalí PH. If you want piss, dribble and unwashed parts, Miel de Bois cuts it better.

This is a brilliant perfume with a commencement as long and complex as, say, War and Peace (going from Bandit to Dzing! is no easy feat), but it isn't any more difficult and skanky than Dzing! or Kouros. If those perfumes send you screaming, stay away - otherwise, try it by all means!

JessiSwe
JessiSwe

This makes me think of my grandma wearing an old worn biker leather jacket in the forest! Now, my grandma would never wear such a jacket but the frag conjures up this image because the strong aldehydes, remining me of grandmas classical perfumes, and the heavy leather scent. There is also a strong animalistic note and the animalistic and oakmoss notes clash with something industrial, plasticky. It's weird and I don't know if i like it or not... Or, I like that it is weird and complex, I like it as a piece of fragrance art, but I'm not very comfortable wearing it.

DancingVeggie
DancingVeggie

All I am getting on both my husband and me is something akin to a bottle of YSL Opium filled half and half with stale urine. Atrocious.

noori
noori

I thought it would be more bitter, and more unwearable (even unbearable, perhaps?) Though right now I only tested a very small amount on me (one or two drops, perhaps), so who knows if I will still like it later on.

I smell an almost sweet incense and aldehydes in the beginning, perhaps some iris, too. But after the first ten or so minutes the leather makes it clear what Rien really is - a smoky, dry leather&incense, it is almost bitter, with some metallic-powdery tone. Bandit and Aromatics Elixir came to mind as somehow similar scents - it is strong and self-condifent like Bandit (only Rien seems to be a bit nicer - not actually very friendly or nice, just nicer), and the "perfume or aromatherapy?" feeling of Aromatics Elixir.

jaimex1979
jaimex1979

Love this... It's like wearing a leather jacket that's been worn by someone else who was wearing Jicky or something animalic...

ladykarl
ladykarl

Could see this being really nice on a man
Its really, really strong
a mix of Aldehydes and strong peppers
kick off the top kinda like a bomb
a little smokey and certainly not terrible

scary at first but
it definitely makes you think

xsmghn
xsmghn

Absolutely fantastic! Not something you would call "love from the first sight". At first i found it too overwhelming and overpowering. But it left something in me...it made me want to try it once more and I understood what the fuss was all about. Its so deep and rich. It's like liquid gold. Not something you would wear on a hot day, but in winter it is like a scarf. With the hot notes of incese, amber, leather it feels like an african wind blowing from the desert.
It is one of my all time favourites. And a potential classic...like chanel n°5...
In this case, Rien (nothing) is really something!!

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Truly the bizarro spiritual successor of Magie Noire and Aromatics Elixir! It smells yellow, pissy, leathery, turpentine-like, but also like patchouli and clean earth. At times it smells like a corrupted Chanel No. 5, with muted and expensive-smelling florals. A masterpiece with unbeatable strength and longevity, great in hot or cold weather, and devastatingly sexy on men and women alike. If you want to project a certain fuck-off image then you must have it.

pianist75
pianist75

To me , you see...All the great ones such fahrenheit, even antaeus, and so many other big houses are watering down their products ripping us all of money, but its true!! Argue with me if you can! So my friends ive stoped buying them, simple its that! Now back to rien...this is the only edp that beats - Montale even black aoud or you name it, in terms of longevity, projection, sillage , and I give you my word, it is the strongest powerful perfume I ever encounter! No doubt! I own 50 parfums all strong and sillage monsters I have it all, even arabian oils pure concentrated perfumes, this is unbelievable strong and long lasting, if you want mega mega nuclear power sillage buy this! Makes all the perfumes around look shy and weak! Yes expensive, but super quality!
Sillage -10
Projection-10
Smell- super unique-10
My number one out of 50 perfumes I own

johngreenink
johngreenink

"Rien" is most certainly not "Nothing", but I wonder with great interest about the philosophy about this perfume. Did Etat Libre d'Orange play a little joke on us all, by presenting such a huge perfume innocently labelled "Rien"... After wearing this scent for a few hours, I'm convinced that there was a lot of thought behind this creation and in a way, Rien is as much about thoughtfulness and quiet as it is about brash loudness and dangerous edginess.

Like many reviewers have said, this perfume pushes the boundaries of our notions about smells. What does Rien smell like? You have to dig deep into your imagination and you pull up the strangest associations: riding a bicycle in the summer and its connected smells of grease on the chain, the plastic of the handle bars, rubber from the tires. Mixed in are so seemingly distant and strange scents like oily patchouli, industrial scents, cinnamon buns, propane or paint thinner.

Yet, this is such a non-linear smell. My first reaction to Rien was not good: All I could smell was something like a factory that had been shut down for a few months and summer heat had made everything smell distortedly sour. When I wore it for a longer time, it was a very different experience. Over time, it evolves in a swirl like the fumes of a witch's brew. Suddenly you smell something sweet, then it leaves... then, you smell petroleum which then turns to amber. It's almost like a fougere that's been raised to level 10 on your speakers. Ultimately it is a peculiar green/leather scent that still maintains an oak moss base yet adds so many different elements that one really must try it to understand its complexity.

I think Rien is a philosophical scent. It truly reflects the complexity of the times we live in now. It is beautiful and sometimes ugly, but I believe this is intentional. I respect this creation as a daring concept - it's almost like a mirror of society in the here and now.

Fleurfine
Fleurfine

Allthough the name suggests a soft fleeting scent,
Rien hits you in the face at first spray.
It's a perfume that shouts out to you, it wants to be
noticed and there is no way to escape from it.

Hard to describe the scent I have some imagery which spontaneously came to mind.
(from a young woman's perspective)

It smells like a date with a charming older man in an indian restaurant and afterwards a ride home in his brand new leather seated Jaguar.
A damp forest smell finds its way through the A/C.
You pick up teasing wafts of his vintage cologne and stale cigar smoke mingled with your own innocent floral. You smile.
You want to know more..

Rien really grows on you. Skeptic at first sniff, it completely won me over once it showed its
clean but powdery quality, probably from the iris and oakmoss. Near the end, and that is several hours later this develops into a softer but rich spiced amber. Though Rien is on the masculin side, a self-confident woman can pull it of well however.

querelle
querelle

If unrequited love had a smell, Rien would be it. And every time I wear it, I always think of Morrissey's Seasick, yet still docked -which is THE song on unrequited love: My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye, you must be such a fool to pass me by.. Heartbreaking RIEN..

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

OMG. I know people have said but don't ever, EVER buy this blind. It's the strongest most overpowering "perfume" I've ever tried. It reeks, and it won't come off wash after wash. I could never wear this... and if it smells the same on others as it does on me I'd have to run away. This is "Sex Panther" from Will Ferrell's film Anchorman

Kharnak
Kharnak

"Rien"
I think of Riñon, spanish for Kidney. Also considering the Yellow Liquid yinYang logo. I was expecting a pissy, urinous whiff of a Cat box. No such thing.
No, this is a Wonderful Masterpiece of a Dry Masculine Leather scent. Powdery, Woody. Intensely Powdery!
(Yes, it is like a whiff of rubbing alcohol) Becomes Peppery Tobacco Like. A Cigar Box. Tabac Blonde aftershave as some noted. Something synthetic and plastic like, vinyl. Smoky Incense. Something Oregano, Antiseptic, Thyme, i think it's the Styrax Benzoin, which has almost a rubber quality. So in short, Rien is a powerful Powdery Leather Incense. Quite brilliantly layered, VERY complex and different, every sniff you take.
Surprise, the Rosy iris floral was there the whole time in the back. It sweetens out. but NOT sugary sweet at all, more of a Licorice, Anise, Burnt wood Guaiacol sweetness.
this is extremely Masculine. But then i spoke too soon, it sweetens more, and then it's something Floral that can be Unisex. Vanilla-Opium Accord? Yes! smells like a hard sniff into a delicious Vanilla Cigar, sticky brown Opium resin smoking up.
DryDown becomes more and more Feminine as time goes on. It has this Seductive floral Aldehydic mustiness

Sillage: Fills the Room.
Longevity: Tremendous
This is definitely "weird" and "out there", even for me. But a welcome addition to my inventory.
***PS: I recently got a Hyraceum Hyrax tincture. The Leathery dryDown of Rien smells JUST like it. I wouldn't be surprised if "Rien" contains it.

Taleb
Taleb

Possibly.....

The perfect scent a dictator can wear......

kris919
kris919

Very complicated bunch of notes here. This is like dried out crusty black leather, rubbing alcohol, aldehydes, smoky spicy incense, resinous amber, something plastic-y/rubbery like old school iron-on t-shirt transfers, and rose. The rose in this perfume gives off this sweet undertone which sort of smells more like a plum or a berry instead of an actual rose. That note makes this perfume very balanced to me. This is good. Rien means "nothing", which is such an ironic zen-like brilliant name. weird and perfect and sexy and lasts forever and ever. sample first, then when you hate it..send all samples to me! ha. no really...

HalloweenHJB
HalloweenHJB

I really admire this fragrance. It is so powerful, intense, unexpected. It almost has a "historical" scent even though it's very modern. There's a LOT going on here.

I spritzed some on in my office, and people walking by stopped in their tracks, and asked what it was. People came back periodically during the day to get more of it --they couldn't get enough.

I wore it in Buenos Aires (where fabulous French fragrances are plentiful) and the hotel staff asked about it.

For those who really want to make a statement.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I love love love this. When I sniffed the sample vial before putting this on I couldn't smell anything and so I was expecting to be completely underwhelmed. I was wrong. On my skin there was an initial blast of sexy leather and lots of pepper. About 20 minutes later I was enveloped in the warm intoxicating incense. I love incense fragrances, and this is up there with the best of them. Great longevity and good sillage (apply sparingly!). I will definitely be investing in a bottle of Rien.

dennis
dennis

Fragrance notes very special, a tuning fork for a perfect pitch!
The innate elegance accompanied by a strong character and secure for people and even naked!
This fragrance for sure, unconsciously alienate all those people other than the wearer A wonder ...

Starlight_Angel
Starlight_Angel

Well, this scent... I gotta say, testing it was actually quite a frightening experience, and not one I plan to repeat any time soon.

First of all it's STRONG... like the kind of strong that it overpowers industrial strength bleach.

This scent is really all about the leather, which takes center stage from the start.

Unfortunately, whereas I was hoping for a soft, buttery leather, this is extreme, in-your-face leather, that smells a little like a well-worn biker jacket.

Yes, a well worn biker jacket that got wet in the rain and never dried out properly and is now musty.

I think that musty smell comes from the strong civet note that's present. Unfortunately, civet is a note that I find exceptionally unappealing, and together with the leather, it gives off a sort of dirty restroom odor to me.

As the leather overpowers almost everything else apart from the civet, I can't really comment on the other notes, although I can detect a spiciness under the surface.

I tried this out on a friend, and the effect of overpowering leather was the same on her too, so it's not just my chemistry.

I'm not really sure exactly why this is marketed as a unisex scent, because it screams "for a man!" as far as I'm concerned. But perhaps there are women out there who can pull this off... I am not one of them though.

It's really not my kind of fragrance, but anyone who likes the combination of powerful leather, civet and aldehydes will adore this fragrance.

And on the upside, it's got serious sillage and longevity like no other perfume I've ever encountered.

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

Well, I'm going through my ELDO samples two at a time. A long, strange, enjoyable journey it is. On my left wrist is Rien. All I smell is brand-new snow tires in a garage.
And I can't scrub it off. Must be those 60,000+ mile steel-belted tire models. I just might have to wrap my wrist in a towel and duct tape it up...so that I might get to sleep tonight.

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

At first I found it quite interesting when I had just a tiny bit on my hand but after spraying it generously I had to have a wash and douse myself in l'air du desert marocain to try and hide it. I can still smell it and the aldehyde, civet combination is bugging me. It smells like a rundown seaside public lavatory that has been cleaned but not quite thoroughly enough

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

This one is specific, as most of the ELDO fragrances from 2006-2009 years, and you shouldn't buy it without testing. When I put it on I feel rubber with incense firstly with a shade of sweetness on the background. Then after about 20-30 minutes, this nasty rubber dries down into something that I can call sweet and incensy, the scent becomes really gothic (but not a "church" scent like Etro' Messe de Minuit). I don't feel strong aldehydes to my happiness. This one is for those who like perfume experiments. The fragrance itself has many layers, it's very complex and you should get used to it. Better wear it in cold weather. Rien is not an everyday fragrance but it will be very good for Halloween and gothic parties. The name of it, that means "nothing" ... no, I don't agree.

scarletpimpernel
scarletpimpernel

RIEN comes from an old & forgot style of iconoclast & extreme fragrances that have their roots in lanvin's scandale in the '30s, continuing with piguet's bandit/brigand in the '40s, bulgari's black in the '90 &, in the new century, with CdG garage, CdG tar & le labo's patchouli 24.

I cannot think of other fragrances that can enter in this very small group: there are various (but not that many) gorgeous leather, vintage or not, but only the before mentioned fragrances are that extreme: not even caron's tabac blond in the '20s (that is a really lush, but a tame kitten compared to the others) nor knize ten (a tabac blond twin: a fragrance that induces me to gourmet cannibalism), nor morabito's or black pour homme in the '80s with it's lush metallic leather incense, nor balenciaga ho hang club, a favorite of mine, that strikes me more for its heavily pornographic indolic allure than for its leather: so It's a fragrance I put in the league of original jules & kouros. not even the infamous diorling in its original formula, that in the '60s was a commotion but to me smells only très chic & bcbg, like chanel's cuir de russie did in the '20s. even bienaimé's cuir de russie & lancome's cuir are edgier than diorling. and certainly not the hermes leather fragrances, with the spectacular first bel ami at the top of the list, that are far from iconoclast & do not try to épater nobody, even less la riche bourgeoisie that hermés represents so well. about my love-hate-LOVE relation with guerlain's leather, please check my shalimar's review.

I have the fortune of owning 4 ounces of the original scandal: dry & edgy, bitter & totally frigid in a noli-me-tangere way: I kiss but I do not french kiss. you expect the sultry look of the skankiest mae west & you get that scary, like a trapped wild beast, eye lashes flapping of a lesbo dietrich.
I use the original bandit as a daily perfume: bilis-like bitter & utterly seductive in a explicit & direct, but still restrained way: I blow but I don't swollow. let's play with your sword but don't get too cocky on me...
& I really like bulgari's black smell of urban degradation: it reminds me of a tires bonfire used by street hustlers to keep themselves warm in a foggy nite in some metropolis outskirts.

but this, this smells like pure evil, this is a day long intercourse beween beasts in a toxic wasteland.
& it's totally mindblowing & addictive.
never before the philosophy of turning smells into fragrances has reached such perfection.
not in the commes de garçons series, not in the other ELdO nose assault, Secretions Magnifiques, that made me wish I was anosmic.
because RIEN smells like twisted perfection, from the beginning to the end. complex, violent, addictive. disturbing & kinky. rough, yet cerebral.
the compulsion that pushes you to lick the skin where you are sniffing it is not enough anymore. you want to bite it & owl.
animalic leather, half beast, half machine: it's stuff for werewolves.

kwarnst
kwarnst

I think this is a beautiful scent that can be worn either by men and women. The prominent presence of the incense in the first hours of wearing makes it a great masculine perfume, and might be too present for the average woman. After about 4 hours of wearing the scent had a more feminine character on me: softer, a little powdery, with the smallest hint of freshness.
It is saturated with incense, and I had a church-like feeling in the first minutes of wearing, but that disappeared quickly and a pure incense (without hippie or church associations) remained.
I find the smell smoky, woody, warm and comforting. It felt like an invitation for meditation.

Louw
Louw

Wow! I love this! I've been looking for an incense-based fragrance that suits me for a while now and decided to give this one a try despite being put off by the hideous packaging. I'm glad I did - it's rich and sumptuous and full of incense notes without smelling either "churchy" or hippie. I can imagine that it would be equally good on a man but to me it doesn't smell overtly masculine.

It starts off quite spicy but that soon gives way to the heart of warm and slightly woody incense. When it dries down it leaves a subtle lingering trace on the skin which I would describe as smelling like smoky suede. Gorgeous! Not loud in the way that so many incense-based fragrances tend to be, but definitely not a shy retiring fragrance!

Anything that bends gender lines gets my attention, immediately. In my ignorance of the French language I assumed this would be a "rain" scent, or "queen" like; it is neither of these things!

Rien opens with a massive leathery scent along with an almost musky/dirty scent that is at once skanky almost "raunchy" and simply marvelous. Aldehydes expand to the point of saturation, then are gone. One dipstick wipe on the back of my hand, and the dog is sniffing the air, curiously, across the room! WOW! The caraway and a heavy resinous "opium" accord (ambery sweet with bitterness) are absolutely divine together. Spicy and smooth at once, and very mysterious with the styrax adding a dank, dry woody feel to this. I see, now, why the notes are listed linearly...this punches you in the gut with leather and smokiness, while breathing new life into you with aldehydes. If there are any currants here, other than a slight tang, they're faint and buried under wet patchouli leaves. Incense swirls in the background reminding me of Tibetan temples or Indian perfumed oils. Roses? Maybe, if they were dried and soaked in chemicals used to tan leather goods!! There is a dark sweetness here, though, and everything about this is "dirty"; but not so much nasty...just earthy and raw. A smooth spicy powderiness pervades as it settles down (to a dull roar), most likely the orris root and pepper. After the second stage fades, this does stay close to the skin; but is still mysterious and sweet. This is agression, in its most elegant form. This scent reminds me of a dark mysterious old mansion. There are many rooms to discover and explore though, at first, it appears to be dirty and all nasty...it has many beautiful treasures hidden within it! You may fall in love...you may feel physically ill, but one thing for sure: you will not forget Rien!

Sillage: Curious...
Longevity: excellent
Overall: 4.75/5

Of all the ELd'O scents I have sniffed this far Rien is, by far, the most full bottle worthy! I love dark and spicy florals, massive aldehydes and warm woody incensy drydowns. This has it all and so much more. That sounds like this might smell like a vintage perfume, but NO!; this is something all its own. Sexy, mysterious and intruiging; Rien comes on very strong then shows its softer side, but never "wimps" out. This is definitely more masculine, but the right woman could pull this off if she liked darker leathery scents. Hauntingly beautiful, intoxicating and utterly wonderful!!

March 2011

I think a better name for "Rien" could have been "Tout" as this scent is loud, rich and very straight forward. The opening is harshing and crude with a consistent dose of aldehyde, leather (civet) and a completely desweetened rose. Almost disturbing but I like it. After a few minutes everything is joined by frankincense and the scent stays in the same mood for hours turning in the end into an extremely dry woody/leathery base. For a few aspects Rien reminded me of Knize Ten or even Bandit but it's way more uncomfortable. It's like they have tried to layer the two perfumes I mentioned with a cacophonic result. Don't get me wrong, Rien smells good but kind of unbalanced. Amazing sillage and good lasting power. Not bad but could have been a lot better.

June 2011

After several more wearings I'm addicted. Now Rien doesn't smell so rich as I used to perceived it in the past, I get it as a straight forward, uncompromising, kind of unsettling and positively crude dry leather. It's like a stilyzed dadaist portrait of Bandit after a steady diet of dryness.

Rating: 8.5/10

mosesdleon
mosesdleon

This is a strange and fascinating scent. I sympathise with the people who don't like it, because at first wearing I went through a phase of finding it almost intolerable. But. I love it. It starts off with a brief but strong smell of new leather, animal and almost chemical. Then the metallic note creeps in, and it smells of silver polish, then of furniture polish, the type made of beeswax and turpentine. This, for me, is where the incense makes itself felt, and the scent becomes that of an old, well-kept, church, Finally, it settles to a refined, very likeable civet with slight overtones of rose and iris. Delightful and weird.

batabidd
batabidd

Wow!: Rien isn't "rien" at all. It's a rich, powerful, gothic-dark, distinctive fragrance. Smoky, elegant, mysterious.
What a creation!

This perfume starts with a soft, warm balsamic leather note.( Hints of the aldehydes and then floral: rose and iris all together).
It is dark, incisive yet cold: iced, smoky leather in a cold, wet cave with musky stones. Great!.
The incense arrives hand in hand with the leather; not a mainstream leather but dense, animalistic. The cistus make its own presence now as the sweaty cumin.
The iris note increases and I can detect a hint of powdery pepper in the background, while the accords get smoky and kind of gratefully mineral, graphite-like.
The drydown is mostly incense and leather with smoke accords and soft patchouli and powdery iris.

I can't see this perfume tagged as woody.
It's just mineralistic-leather iris!.

This juice may be an interesting choice for all leather & spice lovers.
Madly superpowerful sillage and longevity. Use it with caution!.

Robert White
Robert White

I LOVE this stuff...boy is it strong. I used 1/2 of the tiny sample from Luckyscent and it lasted like 24 hours. It smells really good on/to me. Of course, others may disagree. I can't wait till I can afford to buy this, because not only do I like it, I know 1 bottle will last me approximately 30 years or the rest of my life whichever comes first.

desmondorama
desmondorama

I have to say I like this fragrance very much; yet I have to be in the mood to wear it and also bear in mind the destination I'm wearing it to.

It's not a scent you can wear early in the morning on your way to work at the office, because it's very personal. You wear it because you want to be by yourself and want to experience what Rien has to offer.

I initially thought the the incense that dominates this perfume was frankincense, but it's actually an Indian incense which is unique and definitely not your average 'churchy' smells that I have in my 'incense' collection of perfumes.

This fragrance may suit men more than women, but it needs to be worn with extreme caution (like Secretions Magnifique) as it may irritate some sensitive noses around you and needs to be worn sparingly - you may still smell it after 2 showers!

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

This morning I was testing out Etat Libre d`Orange Rien which is a beautiful blend but while getting ready to head out for the afternoon and reading such contrast reviews of this fragrance, my curiosity was peeked. So I looked for my sample of this fragrance to put some on.

"Nothing is everything" the tag line for this scent.

At first it is overpowering but soften has it warms up.

"It has a meticulous elegance and hypnotic beauty of a modern Dorian Gray..." As we continue to search for immortality between masculine and feminine balance in a fragrance, we will continue to protect the portraits of perfumes in our collections.

On my skin, this a beautiful blend of incense, floral and leather notes after the aldehyde notes disappear.

Follow up entery (6 hours later):
This fragrance has mellowed out into a powdery & incense fragrance. If you allow this fragrance several hours to develop, you may come to enjoy the contrast from the beginning notes to the final notes is beautifully drawn out in this master piece of contrast notes.

guest_SOS
guest_SOS

brilliant job! very strong in the bottle, on my skin it became feminine but power scent. Wearing it in the evening I am feeling ready for flirt and may be ...more. Really sexy scent for night adventure when I wear black dress and red lipstick. But it works good with jeans and leather jacket too. Yes,it's "nothing" without you, but you are "everything" with it. One of me favorite . Benefit: long lasting.

guest_Darius
guest_Darius

It's wonderful especial strong scent, a little bit resemble to YSL KOUROS or very strong woman's perfume Agent provocateur

F_A

I guess this fragrance smells better on men than on women. I know one guy for whom this fragrance is no.1 and on him it really smells nice, different.Even hard to believe it's rien! There's no bad rotten smell on his skin. I guess it's our skin chemistry again....

rebella

PS. Do you want to know what it actually smelled like? I don´t have a clue, I didn´t wear it long enough.

rebella

????? OMG! It maked my stomach turn upside down... have to washed it off right away? Shold be fun to hear if someone actually pull this one off? I would rather name it "To much of everything... bad"

PS. I would almost call this a absolutly not try, but since I guess you are a curious bunch I know you wont pay attention to it anyway! ;)

jillsy
jillsy

Eek! Too strong on the aldehydes. Not really much of a skin scent which was what I had expected with a name like "nothing".

F_A

My oh my! It's one of those fragrances that my nose just cannot stand.On my skin it smells like rotten pickled cucumbers with mould on top:/ had to wash it off immediately...

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etat Libre d`Orange Rien fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Etat Libre d`Orange Rien, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Rien by Etat Libre d`Orange. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Rien by Etat Libre d`Orange represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.