Designers » D E » Oriental Floral « Groups

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection Etat Libre d`Orange for women

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection Etat Libre d`Orange for women
dislike

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection Etat Libre d`Orange for women Pictures Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection Etat Libre d`Orange for women Pictures

Fragrance Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection is the first fragrance of the house devoted to a celebrity. It was created for Spanish actress Rossy de Palma. The central and dominant note is rose, which reminds of Rossy de Palma's garden in Madrid. The fragrance was created by Antoine Lie and Antoine Maisondieu who made it unusual, uniting the gorgeous rose notes with ginger, black pepper, bergamot, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, frankincense, patchouli, cocoa and benzoin.

"This magic potion, this instrument of transformation, could only be made by the crushing of armfuls of roses. Roses with thorny stems that yield lavish blossoms, lush petals, outrageous, puffed-up fantasies, trembling with the sweat of impatience and desire. Roses, red with blood, a piercing note that leaves the flavor of fire on lips that suck the finger pricked by a thorn. Ableeding rose. A candy rose. A rose that tastes of fresh milk, a talcum powdered baby’s bottom, a wealth of sugared kisses. At Etat Libre d’Orange, the Virgin rarely wanders far from the Whore. Perhaps she is one and the same. Warmed by the fire of this woman, the noses have embraced a fanciful vision. They have created for her a perfume of protection, a refuge on the battlefield of love. Defensive yet transparent, Rossy conceals as it reveals. For her, a caress is demanded, while those around her are struck with awe. The noses have extracted that which is most profound in her, the essence of her. They have distilled her honey and squeezed the juice from her heart." Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection was launched in 2009.

Ginger Bergamot Pepper

Jasmine Geranium Bulgarian Rose

Patchouli Benzoin Incense Cacao

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection Fragrance Reviews

Anaïs Nin
Anaïs Nin

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection

I first saw the actress Rossy de Palma when I was a teenager, I think it was the film "Law of Desire" or "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" where I saw her, I don't remember correctly but I just could not take my eyes off of her, she had red lips and black hair, and that nose!!! I thought to myself "wow, who is this actress," her features are so exotic! Like the actress, this fragrance is stunning, unique, mysterious and sultry, if you like roses, please try this one.
The first spray is ginger and lots of pepper, bergamot, the opening is harsh and strong, it kinds of makes me wrinkle my nose. The rose is soft on my skin at first, geranium is fresh and in the background. The rose is blood red, feminine, it becomes heady, builds up in strength on my skin, I detect incense.
Dark patchouli, incense, the benzoin are present on my skin, so sensual and earthy. It is very unisex, my skin is dry, I think it lasts all day and sillage is soft, closer to the body.

EmmaZumba
EmmaZumba

Rossy De Palma 'Eau de Protection' was a complete disappointment. The reviews promised blood red roses, gothic sass and vampiric lust and it was just a watered-down rose bramble say-nothing scent like something nonchalant that L'Occitane would make. I ended up putting the entire 2ml sample on me and still then it was as weak. Being of Spanish blood myself and with this being inspired by the quirky Spanish actress Rossy De Palma, I thought this would speak to me and capture the essence of what it is to be a firey, hot-blooded and passionate Spanish woman, but it wasn't much better than the "perfume" you attempt to make as a kid with an old jar, some bruised rose petals and water.

ConsumerThis
ConsumerThis

Smells just like incense oud but for way less. This may have just a tinge more rose in it, but it's a dead ringer
A+++

lovescents999
lovescents999

This is a different take on a rose than anything else in my collection. After the first spray, sniff, and one day wearing, I put it for sale. Then I got intrigued when I smelled my hair the next morning. My gosh, what a gorgeous red, sexy, dry and definitely with lots of thorns scent, shouting to me, I belong in your life! It's not sweet, and it has that dryness without smelling like an old rose, or a dusty rose. I might have not liked the top notes, ginger, black pepper, bergamot, but the rest was like a dream: Bulgarian rose, jasmine, frankincense, patchouli, cocoa and benzoin. Ah, that explains the love. To all guys--here is your unisex rose! The longevity is great, even though I have the worse skin to keep any fragrance more than 4 hrs.

Brisa_Marina
Brisa_Marina

Bergamot and Patchouli open this for me and somehow I smell something almost green. Maybe it's the Benzoin?

Roses, roses, roses. Dying Jasmine, roses.

After about half an hour it is a pleasant faint incense and patchouli comes back. No staying power for me, maybe four hours. I thought about Hannibal Lecter while smelling this. Clean and sleek, a front for the old worldliness lying in the heart of it.

I was pleased to see the unconventional lady this is modeled after. Successful women who are not praised for looks are rare things.

relle
relle

Boy, I must have gotten a bad batch! I got a sample decant that screetched and screamed of citonella. It must be called Protection because it was a spray-on condom. Nobody would want to be close to me with that smell around. Sorry to be blunt, but I was shocked by this skunk spray. In all fairness, I'm fine with trying it again from another source, as long as there is soap and water nearby for washing off afterwards. Boo hoo! I had high hopes.

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

When you first spray it, wait a few seconds before you sniff it. It feels like smelling extra strength pungeant lime flavoured rubbing alcohol. Heck, go for it. Don't wait. It's all a part of the experience. I'll do my best to describe the scent. Quality ingredients. I guess i smell rose but its mostly another flower. Geranium? I dont know. But it smells like i stuck my nose in a fresh flower. Nothing synthetic here. I smell green, flowers all around. Being in a small greenhouse full of flowers. It smells real to me.Its the most unique fragrance that i've ever sniffed that is actually beautiful.

Edit. The geranium stays all the way through, in the background, behind the sweet incensy benzoin

mr_bojangles
mr_bojangles

Absolutely beautiful. It's a very strong scent, very rosy, very green. Definitely my second favourite, after Jasmin et Cigarette. Love it!

stephan
stephan

White rose, green leaves, red blood.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

This smells like witchcraft a weird, earthy, magic rose (Lately I seem to be all about rose). It smells like the inside of a Santaria Botanica, it smells gorgeous, it smells unique, it smells humid and sexy and like plants and strange spices

LaviniaMidnight
LaviniaMidnight

I've been on a search for rose fragrances, and this gorgeous beauty is a big love. This is a rose for the woman (or man) who can put on a vintage leather jacket and beat up Levi's and outclass any cashmere twinset with pearls in the room. I have Roses De Chloe, and she's the demure sister without a hair out of place. Rossy De Palma is the sister who rides a Harley and doesn't mind getting a little sweaty and road dirty. I wish I could find a better adjective than a grittier rose fragrance, but it is what it is. I adore it. I've spent so much money on fragrances that I'm going to have to enjoy the samples till I can rationale another expensive bottle of scent, but this will be the first one I get.

13.th
13.th

not a conventional rose.
just few drops of it and I think : iron, rust, oxid or blood ?
it's very comfortable for me.
Then arrives the rose, that becomes suddenly intriguing, enveloping, homey.
a dirty comfortable bloody rose on my skin.
the rose I love.

archivist
archivist

Spicy pepper and ginger and geranium, a lovely heavy whack of rose incense (this isn't really a fresh cut rose, it's more like the spicy scent of dried rose petals in a bowl). I like the notion that this is an "eau de protection" (common concept in Haitian voudou), because it feels like one. Bright red, unapologetic, strength in femininity, the fierce joy that comes from just being completely beyond reproach because you're fine with yourself. I love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and this perfume feels like having the spirit of Phryne Fisher on your shoulder. Phryne Fisher will cut a b* with her cheekbones, wit, and the slash of a gaze.

If you already have Voleur de Roses, you won't need this as well unless you wish Voleur de Roses was a teensy bit less fusty in the patch. The patchouli in this one is a brighter, more velvety and fresh green. The patch in VdR is dark and thick. Other than that, very much the same beast.

Also very, very, very similar to Paestum Rose, which differs from it largely in that the Paestum has quite a lot of ambery myrrh resin, and is less soliflore.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

This has a clear sharp geranium, pepper, and bergamot opening, followed by a pleasant but generic floral. The basenotes are warm and complex. They complement the development of the perfume flawlessly.

This is a well balanced and well thought-out perfume, more sophisticated in it's development and composition than many modern perfumes.

It's also pleasantly spicy and moderately dry, running strongly against the current trend to simple sweet fragrances.

Now to the rose element. It isn't there. Certainly, there is an attractive - but generic - floral note that is evident throughout.
But it is not 'rose', and it isn't even all that reminiscent of rose.
I checked - I went out into the garden and smelled fresh roses (of several varieties) and the elements of their scents are not even close to this perfume.
Nor does it share much in common with my various rose (turkish, bulgarian, tea)soliflores.

So: very pretty, but not a rose. :-)

icingsugar

Eau de Protection is yet another quirky collaboration between the maverick of the perfume world, Etat Libre d'Orange, and the most striking of contemporary actresses, Rossy de Palma. The result: a bewitching rose fragrance which is both unusual and very effortless to wear. Imagine the world of Sleeping Beauty come to life: endless tangles of dangerous thorns, the deep red rose which the prince offers to his princess, and the drop of blood which stains the needle of the spinning wheel. This fragrance captures all of these images beautifully and with the release of the new film Maleficent, now would be the perfect time to own such a scent.

Excellent longevity, silage and guaranteed to receive compliments: Eau de Protection is surely one of the gems to come from this unique and provocative house.

new friend

دائما تكون أكثر اللمحات الأنثوية للعطور النسائية تتفجر مع الافتتاحية
وها هي الافتتاحية ناعمة هادئة حالمة
الورود الحمراء "البلدي" التي كدت أنسى رائحتها مع زهرة الجيرانيوم
وخلفهما البرجموت بجماله وعذوبته
ما أشعر به الآن هو باختصار "شيء مدهش "
كان في حديقة منزلنا الخلفية شجيرة للورد البلدي الأحمر
كنت أنتظر خروج براعمها وتفتحها يوما بعد يوم بافتتان شديد
للأسف لم يدم عمر شجيرة الورد طويلا
ومن يومها افتقد رائحة الورد البلدي الأحمر الذي لم يعد له وجود
فقط هجين زهري من أجل الرؤية ولكنه عديم الرائحة
اليوم أعادني هذا العطر لهذه الأجواء وكأنني أقف أمام شجيرة الورد الأحمر
زهرة ابرة الراعي "الجيرانيوم" ذات طبيعة فاكهية حلوة منعشة يكثر استخدامها في الكولونيا والعطور التشيبر.
ما أجمله من ثنائي في وجود البرجموت الإيطالي الرائع
الفلفل والزنجبيل المنصوص عليها في الافتتاحية لا وجود لهما بشكل كبير
ربما بعض الزنجبيل الطازج ولكن العطر لا يمكن أن يقول أحد أن العطر به أية لمحات سبايسية مطلقا
ولأول مرة أشعر برائحة أوراق الياسمين "الجافة" وليست الطازجة
الأكثر دفئا وسويتية.
فرائحة العطر ما تزال مثيرة منعشة حالمة ومرحة أيضا.
فترة ليست بالقصيرة حتى يسمح للباتشولي بالدخول
سيعطيك الباتشولي احساسا بأنك أصبحت تستخدم العطر في المساء بدلا من الاستخدام النهاري الذي كان يسبق وجوده
البنزوين ليس منفرا على الاطلاق لأنه ببساطة بنسبة قليلة جدا
ونفس الشيء بالنسبة للبخور الكاكاو الموجودون بالقاعدة
بحيث يتحول لعطر في مرحلة الدراي داون من عطر زهري حالم مرح
إلى عطر يحمل القليل من الرصانة دون أن يفقد شخصيته الأولى الغالبة عليه
حقيقة لقد أحببت هذا العطر من أول شمة
وأرشحه بقوة ليكون عطرا للجنسين
لجميع محبي الورود الحمراء الجميلة الرائعة التي يفتقدها الكثيرون بل ويفتقدون أيضا سحر أيامها وزمانها وأناقتها
اهديكم هذا العطر الأكثر من رائع

لأنه ببساطة رغم كل ما مر بي من عطور
هو عطري الـ "Nostalgia" الأول

nero77
nero77

A sultry, gothic, spicy Spanish Rose!

Etat Libre d'Orange are usually known for making "shocking" or "unconventional" fragrances, they have also made fragrances inspired by "unconventional" celebrities (like British actress Tilda Swinton). Eau de Protection was their first celebrity inspired fragrance. They took inspiration from "unconventional looking" Spanish actress Rossy de Palma.

This is a spicy rose fragrance! Roses are the favourite flower of actress Rossy de Palma (whose name also means "Rose"), and her garden in Madrid is full of roses. I really think in this case Etat Libre d'Orange have created something very beautiful and alluring with this one.

The fragrance opens up with notes of sour bergamot & spicy ginger (with some firey black pepper), but they are quickly overtaken by this beautiful, rich, dark syrupy, almost candied rose... absolutely beautiful. At it's heart this is a Rose-Patchouli combination fragrance, but unlike other similar examples out there, this one feels very "emotional", like the rose is being passionate and sensual. Both Rossy de Palma and Etat Libre d'Orange describe this as a "bleeding" rose, and I do get that. To my nose, the rose is paired with a slightly metallic geranium note... and geranium is so multi-faceted that it can sometimes smell like roses, sometimes like lemons, and sometimes like cloves etc. I think this aspect combined with the rose gives it a lush, full-bodied aroma (and the slight impression of blood, etc).

However, this is an extremely wearable fragrance, either by men or by women, although I find this would really shine on a woman's skin. This is a fantastic fragrance from the house of Etat Libre d'Orange and one that, if you are a rose lover, you should definitely check out! A dangerous, sexy, spicy Spanish rose!

lairderien
lairderien

So lovely! This rose opens big, bold and green with geranium in the background. It has a tart fruity vibe even though there are no fruits listed in the notes. My mind conjours up an image of full blood red ruby lips biting into sharp blackberries, releasing their tart, fruity juices. Its not majorly spicy but the ginger & pepper are more prelevant in the drydown. As much as I love this, the longevity is poor - 2 hrs on me at the most. I find this similar to Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin, especially in the drydown & as this has great lasting power, think I'll stick with SL. Shame really, because the fragrance is outstanding & is by far one of (if not my all time) favourite rose scents....

icingsugar

This is a rose dripping with blood...like the red red rose of sleeping beauties lips...the forest of thorns and the drop of blood on the spinning wheel. This is a metallic, rich rose...captivating and dangerous.

tinkmoi
tinkmoi

Amazing gingergeraniumrose.. so bright it is almost teeth on edge... so dazzling :) what Heeleys Hippie Rose can aspire to be when it grows up.

blue_belle
blue_belle

Wow. Wow! From the moment I put this one on I was captivated, and then for the next six hours or so it kept me under its spell. This is perhaps the first perfume I've ever tried where I can smell every note; they are perfectly blended and yet they also seem to change with each sniff.

This starts off with a gentle rose scent, which gets warmer and bigger over time as though the rose is actually blooming on the skin. It's a very true rose, red and verging on fruity, mixed with a hint of bergamot and pepper and a big kick of ginger. The other flowers are present but only as a backdrop to the rose--they never overpower it, even on my jasmine-magnifying skin.

As this dries down it gets slightly powdery and very spicy. The incense feels like an extension of the ginger rather than a smoky note, and the rose slowly wilts away. The drydown has more of a presence than with most perfumes I've tried, and continues to project a decent sillage.

I would describe with perfume as a work of art. As it develops it shows off the entire lifespan of a rose blooming, and the spice and incense notes are masterfully done. I wish it lasted a little longer simply because I'm in love with it, but I will definitely be getting it based on how strongly I feel about it.

Spaztic
Spaztic

This perfume is so interesting!
I blindly sprayed it on my wrist one day in a flurry of perfume smelling, it was the dead of winter and walking around outside in -20 I wondered what this warm blanket of fragrance was that I was getting wafts of. I remembered it was that bottle with the dragon.
I went and sprayed it on my wrist at least once a week for almost a month before I decided I had to have it. It wasn't my usual choice and I was a little afraid of it, it was so strong and powerful, while that didn't scare me off I was worried it would scare off everyone around me!!
So far everyone seems to like it on me. A gothic rose it a great description for it. It's got the whole rose for me, the petals, the stem, the roots and the dirt clinging to the roots.
This might sound silly but this perfume makes me think of that book/movie Interview with the Vampire. When Louis and Claudia were travelling all over the world in search of other Vampires and finally find them in Paris, THIS is what I picture those Parisian vampires would smell like. Dark, intelligent and dangerous

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Gorgeous Rose! Now I have to add another rose scent to my collection!

My favourites are: Lorenzo Villoresi "Musk", Frederic Malle "Une Rose" and "Lipstick ROse", and AMOUAGE "Lyric". This one sits in between "Une Rose" and "Lyric" as the former is very rich, warm and dense; the latter very sharp, crisp and light. Somewhat cold.

This one here starts a bit like "Lyric" but has more geranium that softens the crisp edges a little. The patchouli and bergamot bring a fresh and fougere note that is very uplifting in the opening. The the warm, sweet, soft rose is nicely juxtaposed with the bitter-green-herbaceous geranium, still underpinned by patchouli. The pepper and ginger spice things up, until the cocoa, incense and benzoin give it a warm and semi-sweet, faintly churchy dry-down.

Very nicely blended. Beautiful ingredients that really work well together and make for a very interesting modern rose. This is a great fragrance for spring and summer as it is not too heavy and always on the fresh aromatic side.

If it only lasted longer, it would be a near masterpiece.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

I was intrigued by the concept of this scent and it didn't let me down. I knew it was something I would never be able to wear myself, but could I appreciate this on a woman? Absolutely.

It's bright, bold, sensual and charismatic, but has flashes of something dark and dangerous.

The rose is green and quite juicy smelling, tempered by the pepper and ginger which add subtle, dry sweetness. However it is the hints of incense and a slightly cold metallic note that gives "Eau du Protection" its edge on skin. It does remind me of the sweet tanginess you get when you bite your lip and draw blood, yet without the frightful sterility of similar blood accords such as the one in "Secretions Magnifique". This combination smells very much alive and inviting, a perfect mixture of sensitive and sharp and an embodiment of the rock and roll spirit.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Eau de Protection starts with a blast of fresh roses, flower, leaf and stem, and then gradually becomes more spicy. The spiciness lends a metallic feel to the fragrance. Not blood, not really, but yes, metallic, and not cold either, more like metal warmed by skin.
Smelled up close, geranium is pretty strong, and so is pepper. And together they give the impression of a dried rose, no longer fresh in the garden, but drying upside down in a corner of a room. A lovely patchouli contributes to the dryness.
But that's just one aspect. Smelled from a little further away, the perfume is a bit sweeter and juicier and more rose centered. A deep red rose with velvety petals.
There's a moment in the far dry down where the cocoa shines trough. Warm, dry, dark and slightly sweet.
After that, Eau de Protection becomes a dark ambery fragrance. Deep and lush but fortunately never too sweet. It stays like that for a long time adn gradually the spices wear of and Eau de Protection becomes amber, rose, and surprisingly a hint of jasmine.

I can safely say I adore this perfume. It's complex and constantly developing from fresh spicy to dark and deep. I don't completely understand it yet, but I know I love it.
Though rose is very prominent, I do recommend this perfume to people who aren't into rose fragrances very much. This is so much more than a rose perfume.

Cereza
Cereza

ELDO's "Rossy de Palma" is an unusual rose, very fresh and spicy, perfect mix of rose and ginger. I did not get any incense, but I got the dirtyness and coldness of patchouli, no at all earthy and warm, but very distant and ice-queen like.
I do actually enjoy this even though I usually do not go for fresh rose, but "Rossy de Palma" has the perfect balance for the rose to not become soapy at the dry down as sometimes it does happen in fresh rose fragrances.
It lasted a little less than 6 hours.

A must try for every rose lover.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

A true fresh rose, not a refined florist shop one in my opinion but a more rugged cultivar, made fresh and spicy with the use of bergamot, geranium and delightful ginger. It reminds me very much of the lovely Annick Goutal Ce soir ou jamais, but a bit darker and more mischievous with its patchouli and incense. I also find it less "screechy" than the Goutal, more balanced. A sweet, rich benzoin/cocoa base keeps it from moving into bright, sparkly rose territory, which I really appreciate. It is delicate and strong at the same time, and from what I know of the actress for whom this was made, I believe it to be a successful interpretation.

Thank you hadassa for the sample.

lisa o
lisa o

fits so well to one of the best spanish actresses...and is somewhat half way between the hysteric witch (spicyness, metallic aspect) and the classical beauty (deep rose) as one would expect. I imagine rossy de palma thinking of her fragrance of something that protects you of your own emotions;-)

the development of the fragrance is nice, a dark patchouli rose, almost chypre-esk start with some astringent geranium and cassis (at least I think it's cassis), ginger and pepper, which transforms within an hour to a velvety cacao. the geranium, as it seems, softens in the middle part but becomes more evident in the end with pepper again. It's a rose soliflore but not a prude one, like it a lot.

cryptic
cryptic

Not being familiar with Rossy de Palma, the woman who inspired this fragrance, I went Googling to ascertain the nature of her celebrity. It turns out that she is a Spanish actress known for her work in the films of Pedro Almodóvar and (please forgive me, Gentle Reader) not exactly an oil painting. My ignorant opinion of Rossy de Palma aside, ELDO gets a lot of credit in my book for selecting an atypical muse as inspiration material rather than the usual teen idol or Hollywood starlet. For a company that sometimes gets a bad rap for using shock tactics as a marketing tool, Eau de Protection strikes me as a thoughtful, intelligent launch.

The perfume itself was an instant love for me because it has so much in common with my beloved Epic Woman and can be had for less than half the price. Eau de Protection opens in fresh fashion much as a natural rose would with some sparkling bergamot, but rapidly transcends the true flower by incorporating a number of darker notes. Before you know it, the rose is quite poisonous, but all the more alluring for being so. Eau de Protection uses a similar strong peppery note to the one I find so appealing in Epic, but replaces the caraway with ginger, rendering Eau de Protection less pickle-like and a bit more wearable. While Eau de Protection showcases a fairly nice Bulgarian rose, Epic revolves around the headier Damascus variety. Both contain incense and patchouli; the Amouage favoring a gorgeous silver frankincense and the ELDO being heavy on the patchouli, and therein lies the rub with this perfume.

Patchouli is a polarizing note, perhaps because some associate the smell with the '60s counterculture and the tumultuous events that surrounded it. My first wearing of Eau de Protection was at an outdoor event of a fairly conservative nature. In my defense, I wasn't familiar with the note pyramid and stupidly figured that Rose Frag = innocuous. Not! An offended woman who happened to be seated nearby sniffed ostentatiously while glaring at me as if I were The Whore of Babylon. In a nutshell, Eau de Protection has great, big sillage and is not the ticket for fragrance-phobic environments. Longevity is excellent. Many thanks to the rock star from South Africa who turned me on to this beauty, which is absolutely bottle-worthy.

Etat Libre d'Orange Rossy de Palma is a rose fragrance composed just the way I like it. Shortly after the first application, I was already drawing comparisons to another beautiful rose, Annick Goutal's Ce Soir ou Jamais.

Rossy de Palma opens very rosy and deep, with a somewhat oily and concentrated feel. Needless to say I was pleased to smell such an old-fashioned, classic representation of rose.

Once settled, Rossy de Palma becomes more spicy and peppery, especially with the introduction of geranium, pepper, patchouli and ginger. I didn't originally take Rossy de Palma to be such a complex scent. I'm also rather impressed by this fragrance's originality.

I had no idea who Rossy de Palma was until I googled her only seconds ago. Admittedly now that I've seen her, I know why she appealed to Etat Libre d'Orange. They like quirky it seems.

Rossy de Palma strikes me as a tad androgynous, so I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this fragrance to men also. The drydown has a masculine, peppery feel, amped up by some exotic incense. The sillage was average on my skin, however the longevity was superb. A fragrance well-worth testing.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Let me start by saying that I always thought I hated rose and patchouli scents. Well, this is the exception! I remember having a first whiff of it some years ago and going into what can only be described as catatonic ecstasy...Seriously, right then and there, I bought a bottle (I don't ever do that on a first whiff).

And now, I can only say I love rose and patchouli, or at least this incarnation. It does start very sharp: citruses and peppers playing first fiddles, with roses humming just behind. But as it develops, it becomes a delightful rose singing sotta voce with light patchouli as base drums.

It is the perfume that gets me most compliments from random females. I actually get stopped on the street, in stores, at work by women completely entranced by the smell. And I have to say, it is the perfume that my husband notices... Intensely..

hadassa
hadassa

This is a very prickly rose!

Very beautiful, fresh, bright, edgy! On my skin it is quite similar to Paestum Rose (especially on the initial stage), but, whereas PR, while being spicy, is harder on the incense, Rossy de Palma is all about pepper. And it is noticeably sweeter, too.

RdP opens with a big blast of fresh crimson rose petals, crisp and clean, almost soapy. Let me tell you, that's a very big and loud rose, I guess it could be almost unbearable for those who aren't quite crazy about roses.

However, the second stage of the perfume isn't dominated by the rose I experienced in the opening. Later on, pepper, or rather Pepper, takes over. Well, I confess, this particular stage was difficult for me. I do appreciate spiciness, but this... I even started to sneeze!

Fortunately for me, the pepper note calmed down half an hour later and the spiciness transformed into the typical ELdO's gingery note. The rose is still in the background, remaining fresh, but less sharp and prickly. Now it's rounder and has a silky touch.

What I get in the base is sweet benzoin and soft incense. No cacao for me :(

What I find quite strange is that I cannot pick up much patchouli from the composition. On my skin, there is only a faint hint of patchouli in the base, closer to the end of the whole experience.

My personal conclusion is that 'Rossy de Palma' is one of the most beautiful rose fragrance I've came across, and certainly one of the most unusual, if not THE most unusual. It's truly unique and bewitching.

I also think that for spicy/incensy rose lovers it might be a no less hit than Paestum Rose or Rose Poivree (another RdP's sister).

The longevity is superb (this scent will please you all day long). The sillage is rather soft, but I'm not sure about it, since I only spray once (it's quite strong).

5 main characteristics: fresh, peppery, Bulgarian rose, ginger, unique.

Ouch!
Ouch!

So this perfume opens with a rose/geranium combo. I'd say the rose comes first but is immediatley met by the geranium. LOVE geranium! yum. It gives the rose a tad more sharpness. I get zero pepper and no citruss from the bergamot. I'm getting absolutely no throw either, I really have to out my nose right against my wrist to smell it, this is strange considering I've JUST slathered my skin with it...

It smells like pure petals, a very almost crystalline rose at first. Wonder how the dry down will go? I'm expecting something sweet, dry and incensey.

Ok...patchouli coming forward but only sligtly. A tinge of incense..and the rose is melding into the other notes quite nicely and becoming not as prominent. It does turn sweeter also...thank you benzoin. There is a slight feeling of the to my nose here, but it's more a gentle, sweet, rosy patchouli scent at this point.

I much prefer the drydown, the gentle wafts of chocolate tinged patchouli..but, the overall transition of this perfume feels dis-jointed. It's a weird combination for me and feels like two different perfumes. Crisp rose and geranium that is springlike, descending into a wintery somewhat dark gourmand-esque scent. It needs to make it's mind up.

The sillage is bad I'm sorry to say. It's a nice perfume but...not for me.

sparris
sparris

Dark, raspy, dry rose with a prominent incense-y edge which slowly dries down to sort of a sepia version of itself, very beautiful, unusual and a little edgy(to me).

Etat Libre d'Orange ROSSY DE PALMA opens bright red with a huge, beautiful blast of rose, making this a buy-at-the-counter hit for sure. I imagine that the effect is even more spectacular when this perfume is sprayed rather than dabbed on to the skin. Nearly immediately the rose begins to fade away, though it remains detectable throughout the entire wear. At the same time, the spicy components--above all pepper--grow stronger and stronger and stronger, almost to the point of taking over the rose. Eventually, the drydown perfume smells like a close olfactory neighbor of The Different Company ROSE POIVREE and Eau d'Italie PAESTUM ROSE. With two big differences.

First, ROSSY contains a pretty good dose of patchouli, which I believe is not present in either ROSE POIVREE or PAESTUM ROSE (or if it is, it's much lighter!). The second, and equally important difference to my nose is that rather than cumin, the spiciness in this composition is produced primarily through pepper and ginger. Cardamom is listed as a note, but I do not detect it independently. What I smell is a combination of pepper, patchouli, ginger, incense and rose, with a BIG emphasis on the pepper.

If the pepper were cumin, this would be all wrong for me. Instead, I like this so much that despite my sadness at the disappearance of the rose, I'll probably add a bottle of this creation to my collection at some point. Too interesting to pass up, plus I'm a longtime fan of Pedro Almodovar, although I had no idea until yesterday that the unforgettable woman in so many of his films goes by the name of Rossy de Palma!

hope.nesmith
hope.nesmith

On paper all I could smell was pepper! I hate pepper. After reading here I tried some on my wrist and the pepper is hardly noticeable, strong clear dark rose coming through, with incense.

d_l_esmond
d_l_esmond

Intense, overwhelming rose, very evocative and almost one dimensional. Starts well, maybe a bit too well, then it becomes a bit more complex, spicy and smoky. And it ends well, too, although a bit old fashioned on the dry down. Quite strong, long lasting. Rossy de Palma or witches rose – does what it says on the bottle!
Coutureguru: excellent point about the base, I totally agree. And I had the same issue with all ELDO fragrances I tried so far, glad I wasn’t imagining this!

kris919
kris919

on my right wrist I have Rossy De Palma, on my left wrist I have Voleur de Roses. It's the battle of the patchouli roses. Rossy has the rose right in the forefront with patchouli behind it. The black pepper is a great touch. you can kinda smell the geranium and hints of the incense. This smells like a real rose, a wet freshly picked rose from a bush, not synthetic at all. you can almost smell the thorns, and the patchouli gives it a slightly dirty earthy smell. What a great mix. On the other hand (literally) Voleur de Roses is just sitting there on my left wrist smelling strong and strange, almost like a honey covered rose laying in a pile of dirt. Rossy is cleaner, fresher, yet still manages to have a dirty type edge that makes it smells very authentic and more real than Voleur. The clear winner here is Rossy De Palma! and it lasts forever too

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

Mindblowing Rose!!! I have tried more than a few of the Etat Libre d'Orange range of frags and take a filial sort of pride in the fact that the house was started by a fellow South African. I noticed that in a lot of the fragrances, the drydown seemed to be very similar (at least to my nose) and drew my own conclusion that the frags were probably all built on the same base, similar to Guerlain's 'guerlinade', which doesn't really work on my skin. How true this may be I cannot say ... I was simply following my nose - which more often than not leads me totally astray!

Today I tried Rossy de Palma and it was an instant love affair! This rose is intense - rich ,sweet and melancholy with the touch of a sting and a hint of blood as the thorn pierces the skin (undoubtedly the ginger and pepper). She is blousy and overblown, definitely not of the fresh and dewey variety. A rose that has reached her prime, languidly crushed against the sheets from being made love upon, exuding her fragrant swansong. Later, pale incense delicately spirals into the sky, carrying the soul of the rose aloft ...

I don't care that this is supposed to be for the gals ... I'm gonna wear the hell out of it ... and I'm going to abuse the sprayer mercilessly!! This frag is freaking AWESOME!!! I bought 2 :o).

Adrien02
Adrien02

An almost stripped bare rose dipped in ginger-y, metallic/marine notes assails my olfactory senses like no other perfume I own. Its sharpness gives way ever so slightly to a peppery assault mixing with heady jasmine. This part of it makes me kind of uncomfortable almost to the point that I think maybe I have overdone the application. I can almost sense a headache looming in the distance. It is somewhat cloying.
This scent stays linear for a long time with the ginger/pepper/rose scent for at least 4 hrs. Reminds me of Marine Sel by Tokyo Milk. It appears to morph into a seductively sensuous dusky rose at drydown thanks to the patchouli and incense which makes me feel better about allowing it to remain on my skin. If ginger and geranium turn you off you may want to only take a nibble of this before wearing full out.
Incredible staying power. I sampled last night around 10pm and still detected it on my wrists around 6:30am. Decided to wear to work today and it has not disappointed. It doesn't seem to be an obtrusive scent as long as it is not used with a heavy hand.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Here goes my first review of an Etat Libre D'Orange fragrance, a perfume house that has intrigued me for a long time! Rossy de Palma is definitely a feminine mysterious rose. On me this was initially almost oud-like in its strength. The rose, pepper and frankinscense dominated on my skin. After about 30 minutes, this had mellowed and I started to pick up the patchouli and benzoin.

This is a very pleasant, slightly unusual, rose fragrance with low sillage and decent longevity. However, I'm not sure I'll invest in a bottle, as I don't think this really stands out from many other gorgeous rose scents out there.

xstitchalanna
xstitchalanna

This is such an amazing perfume! So very rosey and warm I start out smelling a bit of the bergamot, ginger, pepper and of course rose, then I can start smelling the frankincense. Once the bottom notes appear I can smell the benzoin too. Oh my is it so very lovely! I do not get blood or any metallic notes in it at all. This is very strong too, it only took a little bit from my sample vial and it lasted 12 hours! I kept having to sniff my wrist all day because it was so lovely. This is perfume artistry at it's finest! Becuase of the spice notes it it, I think it best for Fall and Winter wear day or night. It's on my likes, but I might end up adding this to my loves. You have to try this!

Wow! I smelled this today from my sample after many months since my first review and all I can say is: fabulous!
It's such an amazing perfume, rose for sure, but not just rose! There is an organic nuance which is highly addictive! Don't think of blood, because it doesn't smell exactly like blood. I wouldn't like if it was so. I have no attraction for all that fuss around blood, milk, etc... Actually I think it's just marketing. Eau de Protection smells organic like soil and something both metallic and sweet in it. It's like an edible rose of the best quality surrounded by spicy and gourmand notes.
What I like here is balance. No real ginger or cocoa obvious smell like so many other modern gourmand.
It's all kept very balanced and the rose shines through the rest of composition.
I've been said to have a metallic smell on my skin, which I don't get much. I wonder if this perfume enhance that feeling, but I don't really care! I just like to sniff it on my wrist!
It makes me feel confortable, cosy and secure and anyway it's a gorgeous smell to my nose!
I never tried to wear it out of home but I will for sure and ask for opinion to my closest ones.
In any case, whether it is appreciated or not on me I will keep using it for my own pleasure!

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

Smells like an idealized rose geranium essential oil. Very rich and smooth. After about an hour a bit of cacao joins in like a whisper. Roses in the sun!
Fabulous, I think for Fall and Winter seasons.

Norgirl
Norgirl

fresh velvety rose. crisp and warm at the same time. the ginger and pepper starts off so nice whit the Rose.and the story goes one .Feel like walking in a foreest whit wild roses lingering whit the smell of weth soil and leavs. very nice and gental.
feel like a proper lady in this one . ready for a romantic walk into the sunset. This is an afternone fragrance IMO.

al.to
al.to

voleur de roses!!the first thing I think when I smell this frag.
very similar .
Maybe l'artisan voleur is more dark juicy and masculine.
Rossy de Palma has something cleaner and airy with a touch of dry leafs

JessiSwe
JessiSwe

A rose perfume with a twist! There is a lot of rose but also something metallic underneath the soft scent of rose, benzoin and cocoa. I also get vanilla from this scent. I think it's suitable to wear both in the day and the night, depending on how heavily you apply it.

Grottola
Grottola

Now THIS is a rose fragrance. Generally, rose can smell one or or two ways on my skin:

1. Powdery and stuffy, as most rose scents do (Knowing, the current Rive Gauche), or

2. Cold and dark, like death itself (Ungaro III, Domenico Caraceni).

Rossy de Palma takes a different route. "Juicy", an adjective used by my good friend Gypsy Parfumista, is an apt way of describing this rose. It's also quite vegetal and tomato-leaf like, in a sense referencing the "Garden" fragrances by Hermes. Either way, this is a juicy rose in the garden, from leaf to stem. The frankincense and patchouli add a dark, resinous quality that I can feel in the back of my throat. As it dries down I can smell the benzoin/praline creeping through to add a little "nutty" sweetness.

And, for the most part, that's it. Rose all the way, from the minute I apply to the warm base notes 7 or 8 hours later. What's interesting about Rossy de Palma is that while this rose is dark and astringent, it's warm-blooded. It has a heart and an inviting presence if you give it a chance. Maybe that's who Rossy de Palma is. I haven't seen any of her films, but the facets of this scent may very well fit her to a "T".

So anyway, I would definitely try Rossy de Palma if you're into rose scents. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, as it's not the most accessible fragrance, but I definitely feel it's worth trying. I need to get to know it a little better before I decide I actually like it. At this point, I wouldn't buy a bottle.

adrienn99
adrienn99

better rose? where? XD

honestly, I was very disappointed about most of the dominant rose perfumes. I know some are loved because they represent the true flowers - but honestly - to reflect reality we could use some rose oil - sorry to say but those i cannot quite regard artwork

Others then would suffocate the roses with patchouli, sugar, spices or incense, again. I see no point in those either?

i love this because this is a well-balanced, soft fragrance. The rose is recognizable - not too much , not too little, not twisted, not suffocated but nicely supported by vanilla (although not listed) and patchouli and it has the sophistication and depth many fragrances try to achieve. And the rose is crimson but wont bite. It would just smile a little with the inner knowledge - like a Mona Lisa - you can do whatever - i know what you are and what you want

Don't be shied away by the fact that this is from Etat Libre - this scent is very elegant, no perversion.

cryman41
cryman41

It's a suggestive scent, it reminds something magic and strong...the absolute and the strange, linked together

Rossy de Palma? After Secretions Magnifiques, you KNOW where my mind went...Rosy Palm! :) I had no idea that Rossy was even a real person. Now, after smelling this scent, I feel quite compelled to look her up...

This begins so very smoothly, enchanting with the brightness of citrus braided with a warm juicy warmth and a subtle spiciness...and the rose peeking playfully: heavenly! This scent is like a sexy vivacious woman who just winked at you...excitement courses through you that SHE might find YOU attractive! More enchanting than real roses RdP's heart "beats" with sensuality and pure sex appeal. The alternating dryness of the carnation and the thickness of the jasmine define the roses' beauty better than one of Shakespeare's odes ever could. "The Vigin never wanders far from the whore" is quite apropos here; as this is at once soft, but charming and utterly lascivious. Not in a phony way, like young girls painted up as a child trying to look the part of a woman, but a woman who is at once innocent and naughty! A rose by any other name...should smell THIS GOOD! This is the svelte woman desired by all, with a slit up her dress almost to the hip...but she is no tramp. She has a tender loving side and exalts in making love (from the heart). This dries down earthy, smoky and so delicious. For all her girliness and feminine wiles, she has an earthy almost raw sense of humour, and very amusing but candid way of looking at life. Oriental enough to be seductive, but earthy enough to be herself...Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection is an essay in contrasts. Bold, but never brazen (unless it heightens the passion), yet shy when she needs to be. I am thoroughly and utterly impressed!! This is a feminine scent, no doubt. But, it's drydown is fine for almost anyone. I would not care what anyone thought of me wearing this...it's THAT good!

Sillage: very good
Longevity: great!
Overall: 4.25/5

Not the biggest fan of roses, to begin with, Miss Rossy has me quite in her spell. This enchanting olfactive composition is a true delight, and if you love roses, then this is all YOU. I like them okay and it has me, quite literally, drooling...

To give you an image of what kind of person this perfume would be, I imagine (upon meeting her and talking with her) something very like this:

Gypsy: Ms. Rossy, do you smoke after sex?
Rossy: *puffs cigarette sexily* I don't know, I never looked!

;)

kerini
kerini

A very strong rose.
I was asked if I'd fallen into the bottle and that's exactly how I felt myself. Just a little too overwhelming for me.

I've to admit I've a problem with Rose based scents. Besides a very few (Parfum Sacré, Black Aoud and a few others) I don't like them. It's my personal taste.

Said that, Rossy the Palma is a crude, raw and tremendously realistic crimson rose. Almost uncomfortable but somehow delightful and fascinating, exactly as Rossy De Palma is. IMO this is one of the most appropriate and fitting scent name given by the guys at ELDO, but still no scent for me.

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

Love this scent, it surrounds me with aromatherapy cloud. It has well mixed components, they are equal. It's a little rosy, a little sweet, a little bitter, a little woody; clean, but rich and not heavy. Unusual and sexy of course. It's not that surface and loud sexuality, but Rossy de Palma unobtrusively and unnoticeably catches you and takes your head away.
To my happiness I don't feel too much patchouly (it usually makes perfume too oily) and carnation is on its place bot making soapy notes. I like the balance and this scent has the same character as I do )))
I do not recommend it for teens and very young girls. It's a real feminine scent a quintessence of the type of woman I adore and wanna be like )

arianperfume
arianperfume

this is LOVE !!! It may just be the most gorgeous scent that I ever had the pleasure of using. Received a sample from a frag member(many thanks to Triplex) this week and I am totally hooked. Main theme is ROSE, obviously, first couple of minutes I can smell a metallic note(must be the ''bloood accord!!!''), afterwards a rich dark red rose, is caressing my skin with balmy wafts of cocoa, vanilla and creamy fluffy benzoin. My new addiction, just ordered a bottle from Amazon.Hopping I just found my signature perfume after years of searching.

Eau de Protection is maybe the only Etat Libre d'Orange I care for. At least the only one that gives me a reason for purchasing. I'm not yet sure. I love to smell my sample for smelling purposes. When I put some drops of this scent on my skin I find it friendly even if extravagant. It's such a different take on rose! I love well made rose-scents like Yves Rocher and Stella McCartney, so you can guess Eau de Protection is a totally different thing! I smell lots of black pepper since the beginning through the end. It's pickling together with ginger. Then come a very strange rose. I would say a scaring rose, but it's also exhilarating and not so scaring after all... If you think of rose you normally think of the smell of petals. Well, here the rose is taken as a whole plant. Imagine that you are smelling petals, stem, roots alltogether at the same time. I have no idea how they do it because I don't think there such an infusion of the real thing. It's artificial chemistry. The metallic edge is very obvious but fortunately it doesn't remind me of blood in a raw way. Incense and patchouli are there too. I don't detect the jasmin, the bergamot and the cacao.
It's a fascinating fragrance, much more interesting as a work of art in itself than other Etat Libre that are just unpleasant smells. I'm not sure it's easily wearable. For sure it's not mainstreet (of course, it didn't mean to be!) but I still need to find out if it smells scary to other people at least on work situations.
I don't personally find it scary, only different and original and for some reason it makes me feel fine. Maybe that's the real meaning of Eau de Protection!
Rossy de Palma is a great actress and quite interesting as a woman.
I also like the packaging and all the marketing behind. At least for once one of the Etat Libre d'Orange has a good reason for being so overly niche-marketed through big words and imagery.

Tarya
Tarya

Rossy is taking me to the seashore with this fragrance, where the wind is playing with my hair. Opposite of this sea there are several little cozy restaurants next to eachother. Fresh air, bergamont, a hint on spices and a very tiny hint of rose, all in a very deligat way. Lovely!

Eau de moi
Eau de moi

Roses, incense and pepper! I love this one! I was scared that this Rossy de Palma might only smell roses and roses and roses. No! A spicy rose growing through incense smoke! Not for the floral gals.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

Every once in a while you come across a fragrance which completely surprises you.

Since I sample this fragrance on Wednesday, June 10, 2009, I was not able to stop thinking about this scent. It has even creped into a dream of mine (Rossy de Palma actually handing me a bottle of this).

My first impression of this scent was that it brought memories of grand mother's favorite soap: Maja. The top note is soft breeze of roses. As it warms up (on my skin) hints of ginger and black pepper come to play and tease you. I love how the patchouli and incense notes develop as the protective dragon near the rose bush. They are there but never over powering the beauty of the roses.

Rossy De Palma Eau de Protection will make you feel sensual, playful and risky. For the 1st celebrity fragrance from this house, they nail it. I can imagine Rossy herself in any of the Almodavor movies quietly in the background but having a memorable presence.