Designers » D E » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

dislike

leather
aldehydic
Sex Pistols Etat Libre d`Orange for women and men Pictures

Paris - based perfume house Etat Libre D'Orange teamed up with Sex Pistols to launch their first perfume, "the spirit of punk in the bottle, under the name of the band. Mathilde Bijaoui is the nose of this rebellious peppery scented composition.

Sex Pistols fragrance is inspired by anarchy and chaos, as the ideologies of the bend that made a revolution in UK in the 70s, spreading to the international music scene. Therefore, this perfume tends to be a "revolution in a bottle."

Fresh lemon bites you early in the compositions, sharpened by the defiant black pepper. The unruly turbulence is caused by prune and intense ambrette seed, while the electricity of aldehydes, further inflated with leather and heliotrope, is subsequently grounded and brought back to earth by patchouli note.

Besides the intense flavor, the pack is also designed in the spirit of punk. The graphics are inspired by the cover of their first single from1977 "God Save The Queen." Sex Pistols perfume is available as 50 ml EDP.

Sex Pistols was launched in 2010.

Patchouli Amalfi Lemon Heliotrope Ambrette (Musk Mallow) Leather Pepper Aldehydes Plum

Malaise of the 1970's

Sex Pistols Fragrance Reviews

leathermountain
leathermountain

Another Iso E overdose. Blah!

HyacinthBucket
HyacinthBucket

I disagree with Miss Trying Too Hard below. The Sex Pistols were never a rad punk band. Radio Birdman was a rad punk band.

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

I tried it at a friends house. I like it! I never really was into the sex pistols though. I would wear it but never let anyone see the bottle and hide it off my dresser.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Great perfume, but you have to look at it as not connected to Sex Pistols. If you want punk in a bottle, go look elsewhere in the ELdO line or go to GdC.
Or don't take a shower for a good six months.
But don't expect it here.
That being said, this is no tame perfume either. Just too wearable.
There's a great fruity peppery citrus opening, with some prune thrown in. And then you get a rather sharp peppery, woody (iso-E super?) patchouli drydown, with a light hint of fruitiness. This pruney fruitiness grows stronger and a slightly salty ambery leather accord starts to blend with it. All this time pepper dominates though, making this a rather dry fragrance with a paper like quality.
Sex Pistols leans to the masculin side of the fragrance spectrum, but I really love to wear it, especially because of the paper quality, I just love the scent of books (Sex Pistols and BOOKS?!?)
Best thing about it is that it can be had for 18 something euros on eBay (in, might I add, a very very fun packaging)!
So, if you happen to be interested in Malaise of the 1970's, check this one out first, they're virtually the same.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Sex Pistols by Etat Libre d`Orange opens with a blast of citrus, woods, musk, and pepper, but immediately develops into something strange. Imagine a bunch of toiletries such as cheap after shave and hair spray combined with chewed mint gum. Add a little sweat (and maybe a sweaty leather jacket) and put the whole mess on top of some vetiver and patchouli. 1 2 3 4 go make out with spiky-hair-pit-stain-guy.

Sex Pistols has a salty-muskiness that reminds me of Eau des Merveilles, which becomes overwhelming after a few minutes on the skin.

Fun concept, but not for me. 3/5

I have no qualms in saying that I really enjoy this fragrance. As a child of the 90's, the Sex Pistols existed long before I was even born. I am admittedly not a fan of their music, but I am a fan of Etat Libre d'Orange's fragrant homage to this revolutionary rock band.

Sex Pistols is a rather bold citrus scent, featuring a bright, sparkling lemon accord. It's very crisp like a classic lemon cologne, however it's also quite complex, especially in regards to the earthy and spicy nuances provided by the patchouli and pepper.

This fragrance does have a bit of a 'punch' to it, although it's not nearly as offensive as Johnny Rotten himself. Despite being listed as unisex, I find it incredibly pleasing on my female skin. Patchouli and lemon are the two most dominant notes, followed by juicy plum, sharp pepper and a leathery drydown.

Many are complaining of the high price tag, however I don't mind the cost. Sex Pistols has fantastic longevity and sillage, not something that you usually expect from a citrus-based fragrance. It's also an EDP.

As the weather gradually heats up I will be tempted to wear Sex Pistols more. I especially like the way it smells on my skin on a sunny day. I find it very invigorating and crisp.

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

I really like the humour of Eldo. I try my best to like all of their perfumes too, but sometimes they just make it impossible. This is one of those times.

First thing I smelled was fruity plum note, somewhat similar to plum in Michael Kors for men. Then there is some patchouli. Patchouli shows here it's chocolate-like qualities here.

These gourmand notes are contrasted with "pepper" or should one say with iso E super. Maybe it is the hair spray people are smelling? It sure smells sharp.

I don't smell any aldehydes or leather in this which is a disapointment. I don't find any chypre qualities here either.

Maybe people who like Terre d'Hermes (because iso E super) or modern fruity gourmands can appreciate this more. For me this isn't an option. Not even with it's very low price.

Vengefulbit
Vengefulbit

The scent reminds me of a well used make up bag, hair spray, and a cheap leather jacket. The scent of Black pepper is a bit overwhelming and sharp - it Burns the nostrils some what. Bought it because it was on sale, not sure I'd recommend for other than novelty factor.

truffles
truffles

Meh. Picked this up today and I'm not a fan (of the perfume or the Pistols!). Was intrigued by the smell from the reviews but this is really not 'me'. I can't describe the smell - someone said it captured 1970s punk clubs perfectly - leather jackets and hairspray , I'm sniffing it trying to get that (and I know the smell of nightclubs and hairspray VERY well from my gothy youth)and, not joking here, but the only hints of nightclubs I get are maybe a tinge of public toilet and a tinge of cheap aftershave.
I don't find this overtly citrus, maybe it's all overshadowed by the pepper and maybe the musk mallow (I've no idea what that smells like)? I don't get any plum or leather.
I feel this to be more of a man's scent than a woman's, personally.
50ml, 2 sprays out, boxed and up for swap in the UK.

Morindrias
Morindrias

Hello everybody. I don't have a review, I only have a question: Where the hell can I buy this/order it? I'm from Romania and seriously want to buy this perfume for my girlfriend and Google is not helping me. Amazon and Ebay don't have it. I could really use some help. Thank you. :)

Grottola
Grottola

I love the Sex Pistols and John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) is one of my biggest inspirations. I think the guy is a genius and more people should listen to him now that he's actually willing to talk to the press. So, naturally, as tacky as I thought the idea was at first, I had to try this fragrance - not only because of the name and concept, but also because it's an Etat fragrance, Etat Libre d'Orange being a house that continues to impress me with their unique creations.

Well, surprisingly enough, this is a chypre, and it's very similar, as others have noted, to Eau/Elixir des Merveilles. However, I would say this one has more of a dry woodiness to it, and it's a bit more resinous and less sweet. I admire the fact that, despite there being no oakmoss in this, it manages to stay true to the chypre smell. I always loved chypres - they're more fun and flexible than fougeres, which is probably why this is the perfect choice for a Sex Pistols fragrance; it's carefree, wild, yet fun and lovable. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for this fragrance to have some skanky animalic accords, but they could have done A LOT worse than this. Oh, and the packaging rules.

A suitable homage to one of my favorite bands, and a fantastic modern chypre. If you're looking for a good, wearable chypre, this is the one for you - whether you're a guy or a girl.

sweettoothannie
sweettoothannie

To me this is a very regular, completely generic muscy and a bit overpowering cheap ass perfume. Maybe I will reconsider after reading some of these reviews.

valvulado
valvulado

I agree with pum.ohse, it's a strong perfume. Very good longevity. Above average sillage.

Smells great and natural.
For the price you can't go wrong!

pum.ohse
pum.ohse

This is a quite strong perfume. At the beginnig sharp notes of lemon and pepper appear. And at the drydown the other notes appear, specially i can notice aldehydes, ambrette and a little bit of leather at the background. The lemon is really noticiable but i think that is what make it unisex. The fragance have a really masculine background but some notes make it quite feminine too. Defenitly, is quite an interesting and original fragance to use with moderation.

kris919

Now that I finally have a full bottle, I figured I'd write a proper review. I've always been a big fan of punk & I am a fan of the Sex Pistols, however, I am not biased based on the name of this perfume. This perfume could've been named after the 80s teen group Menudo and I still would've loved it (although the Menudo name would've definitely pained me greatly). As a matter of fact, I'm kind of on the fence that this is even called Sex Pistols...it seems a bit silly to me and I was hoping when I finally found such a great perfume that it would be..I dont know, not named after a band/celebrity? But perhaps there is a supreme irony to this that could be fully appreciated.....it's a perfectly blended gorgeous scent named after one of the filthiest punk bands that ever lived (one example: lead singer, Johnny Rotten refused to take showers)

This smells like it's supposed to be on my skin, like it's meant to be there. I dont know how else to explain that. I put it on, and it smells like the inside of me is on the outside. This is pepper, pruney plum, leather, patchouli, light aldehydes, and lemon (the lemon I do not smell at all..no big deal). I wore this all day today, my work day is approx. 10-11 hours..this perfume lasted about 6. And it was the best 6 I ever had..(ha). As soon as I came home, I sprayed more on, because I missed it that much during the second half of my work day. I think this perfume is discontinued, or returning with a brand new unfortunate dopey name (Malaise of the 1970s), hopefully with the same formula. But just in case, I am already preparing to buy at least 2 more bottles of Sex Pistols so I have plenty on hand before it becomes totally unavailable in its orginal version. I am beginning a long term relationship with this scent, and if I decide to marry it, I may finally have my signature. For someone as non-committal as I am, this is a big day indeed.
Also of note: this can defintely be worn by either sex, it's right down the line

Jasminehead
Jasminehead

Actually this is like anarchy, that is the true meaning, which is the opposite of chaos. Maks perfect sense... ugggh, how language has become so perverted! It also makes sense that this would be a clean and frresh scent :) perfect! love it!

off topic, but if one wants to learn what anarchy really is and not just a one sentence false definition in your dictionary... check an encylopedia.. or check with people such noam chomsky, peter kropotkin :)

kris919

I only tried a tiny sample of this, but this is a gorgeous plum leather scent. On my fb asap list. When you test a few drops of something, and know immediately you want a full bottle, that's the mark of a pretty damn good perfume. nevermind the bullocks!

SensualistGeek
SensualistGeek

I really don't know much about the Sex Pistols but I'm pretty sure this isn't the smell of anarchy!

ELdO Sex Pistols is easygoing - friendly, even. He is that tall, rugged and handsome guy in your family who is such a catch but doesn't realize he is.

This is an easy ELdO to get along with: that familiar, buzzing, slightly medicinal opening is still there but it soon develops into a twin of Hermes Eau des Merveilles - salty and leathery and just a tad sweet. The drydown also reminds me of Terre D'Hermes.

As Octavian Coifan points out in his 1000fragrances review, Sex Pistols never quite "lifts off" - it does stay fairly close to the skin and longevity lacks.

That said, this remains comfortable, wonderful and well put together. I'll be buying at least 2 more bottles (currently going for next-to-nothing online) just in case it's on its way out.

To be worn with a cashmere sweater... if perhaps not with a leather jacket and safety-pins.

UPDATE: I just read on the Etat Libre d'Orange website that Sex Pistols will be re-packaged and re-named as Malaise of the 1970s. Presumably the same formula, but we won't know just yet.

nausikaa
nausikaa

initially i bought this as a present for my boyfriend, but then kept it for myself instead. gorgeous when combined with elegant classy clothes you would rather assiciate with chanel no 5.
in my opinion quite special and unique :)

sablebombe
sablebombe

The fragrance is definitely unisex. It's top notes are citric lemon - although I smelled more of a St Clements (orange and lemon) it's at the drydown that is turns more masculine and bought to mind Terre d'Hermes for men! A bit rock n roll earthy-citrusy! On the feminine side I don't think it is too unlike Si by Lolita Lempika.

It's not a kind of in your face fragrance or anarchic which I would have expected with a name like Sex Pistols but it does have the complexity of the personas of the Sex Pistols. The citrus doesn't leave at all but is there and comes around again and again!

I think this would suit men but it would also suit a strong woman with a determined personality - it's not exactly unique but it isn't common either! Silage is very good I could smell it around myself quite a bit and it is long lasting as well. Overall a good 4/5 for this one!

KasiaS
KasiaS

It seems it had no success, but it is not a bad scent at all! Probably it's the plum-patchouli combo succeeded to catch my heart once again, but it seems interesting and very deep to me. Not really punk or chaotic, nothing scandalous about it imo, and I smelled it before for sure. I would call it oriental with interesting aldehyde twist. It also reminds me strongly of Si Lolita and Eau de Merveilles - which shows how marketing works :D
I'm quite happy people didn't like it, because it's immensely dicounted in my country, so finally I can have an Etat Libre for me!

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

The sent is interesting, nonstandard. Spiky, a little bloody or dirty, and it reminds me a little of some alcohol drinks at first. Then comes salty leather. If you want to feel yourself like a punk, you don't need to wear second hand torn clothes, make exotic hairstyles and piercing, just spray this scent on yourself 2-3 times.

Xandria
Xandria

hmm...hard to say. it doesnt smell like cat pee but it makes me feel dizzy. the scent reminds me to bright neon yellow in sunny day. i have to wash my wrist when i try this.

i got it as a gift, lucky me that i dont have to spend my money for this bottle.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I have to say, I would have expected something far more outrageous from a perfume called Sex Pistols. In their day, the Sex Pistols were shocking, wild and unpredictable. They lived outside the boundaries of the societal norms and their lifestyle challenged and shocked mainstream thinking and values.

....Far from this mainstream offering. Whilst I was expecting the citrus equivalent of Secretions Magnifique, what I got was something that would happily sit beside Eau de Merveilles. This is clean, conservative and quite commercial. Not that this is a bad thing, but the name and association are all wrong. Sid Vicious would roll in his grave.
God Save The Queen.

Having just entered Junior High when the Sex Pistols ended, I got to know them during the Post Punk explosion that led to Goth and New Wave...but loved them anyway! So in-your-face and angry, yet they caught the feeling of self-expression, independence and cool cynicism unlike any other. ELd'O caught their essence here, very well...

The cold fruity opening of lemon (almost frozen) and metallic aldeydes (safety pins and studs?) along with an almost powdery pepper note is just fantastic...really gets your attention! The development brings a dried plum (prune) note that is warm and tasty. The musky ambrette seeds and heliotrope are just great together: something dry and sweet, but woody and cool. The leather here is softer than the normal birch tar type, more like vinyl pleather or patent leather...shiny and smooth. The patchouli, I assumed would mirror the defiant earthiness of the band's music, is rather refined but sweetly raw. This is aromatic and spicy, but so much more. A must-have for anyone who likes something a little out of the ordinary that says: "Hey! Yeah I'm different, so what!?!"

Sillage: good
Longevity: quite decent
Overall: 4/5

This smells unlike anything I have ever smelled! It is nowhere near as loud and obnoxious (in a good way) as the music of the Sex Pistols...but definitely something different and very British, modern and wild! This is definitely a unisex fragrance. You may love it, you may hate it...but in true punk fashion-it could care less!

mocha43
mocha43

I got a sample of this and found it to be a nice aromatic with leather, patchouli and musk combined to make a scent more on the masculine side but a woman could also wear it easily enough. I did not find it to be as shocking and wild as the Sex Pistols band for which it was named. It lasts about 7 or 8 hours on me with some silage. I can see where many would love it and it is worth sampling.

ineverwas
ineverwas

I must confess I know very little about the Sex Pistols as a band, but what intrigued me about this fragrance is the compelling combination of notes. I had to test this composition and so I did today.

As a first impresion, it smelled more on the masculine side, but I suppose it could also easily suit a more offbeat, self-confident woman.

Nonetheless, this perfume develops into something unique and very British - it's sharp, cold, a bit dry, provocative and spicy. It has a cynical, defiant air that would fit someone who's cool, detached and a tad caustic, a nonconformist, an outsider. Well targeted and marketed.

This perfume has a cool personality.

Passionflower
Passionflower

I had a whiff of this when I was in France a couple of weeks ago. The fragrance really suits the name and the image of the Sex Pistols. I smelled a lot of patchouli and pepper. It made me smile, because this is the sort of scent I imagine the punks back in those days would have loved. Rebels doing their own thing, refusing to adapt to society. There's absolutely nothing sweet about this fragrance, exacly how it should be. I haven't tried it on my skin because it's not really my thing, but I definitely appreciated it as a fragrance.

Sex Pistols by Etat Libre d`Orange 3.80 out of 5 based on 77 ratings and 28 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etat Libre d`Orange Sex Pistols fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Etat Libre d`Orange Sex Pistols, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sex Pistols by Etat Libre d`Orange. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sex Pistols by Etat Libre d`Orange represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.