Designers » D E » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

dislike

smoky
herbal
The Afternoon of a Faun Etat Libre d`Orange for women and men Pictures

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d`Orange is a Aromatic Spicy fragrance for women and men. The Afternoon of a Faun was launched in 2012. The nose behind this fragrance is Ralf Schwieger. The fragrance features bergamot, pepper, cinnamon, incense, immortelle, orris root, myrrh, leather, benzoin, rose, jasmine and oakmoss.

Bergamot Pepper Cinnamon Incense Immortelle Orris Root Myrrh Leather Benzoin Rose Jasmine Oakmoss

Foxglove

The Afternoon of a Faun Fragrance Reviews

Jyrhara
Jyrhara

Rarely my expectations from a perfume I read about are fulfilled so greatly as it happened with The afternoon of a faun. I'm enjoying my sample so much I'll be sure to buy a bottle.
People talk about a forest vibe, but it's not a damp, old forest. I see strong young trees in a forest that's kept clean of undergrowth by human hands...
I tend to like all fragrances with moss, and I like immortelle too, I smell them here along with resins. The spices on my skin are not too loud, which is fine with me.

Calvini
Calvini

This reminds me of their infamous Secretions Magnifiques.. As if they decided to tame that monster and add stuff to make it wearable! I mean the Satyr has a pretty strong connection with the other "juice" too (giggle)

*so I actually put them side by side and compared.. Oh my gosh Secretions Magnifiques is worse than I remembered! (almost threw up) The first 10 min was truly unbearable and only has 10% resemblance, then as it becomes less vigorous and repulsive, the resemblance gradually increased to 50% by the hour mark.

farang
farang

I really like this fragrance, my favourite ELdO together with Rien. Immortelle seems to be at the centre here and subdued by floral and other notes. The notes seem almost fruity, but the sensation is likely due to iris and oakmoss, I suppose.

The fragrance's balance and end product is great! It is not 'fresh' in my opinion or 'green', but rather evokes autumn leaves and brownish/reddish colours in a soft aromatic way.

It does not change much of time, but that's fine with me. Perfectly unisex.

polly golightly
polly golightly

chi come me ama Yatagan e quella ristretta serie di profumi maschili a lui simili e astratti non rimarrà deluso da questa creazione. purtroppo ho solo un piccolo campione di questa delizia che incorpora tutto quello che per me di buono si può rintracciare nelle fragranze maschili, un po' old style e dandy, lontanissime dai territori dei machissimi e freddissimi accordi che al momento (da anni invero) vendono tanto e fan sembrare, all'olfatto, gli uomini tutti uguali. qui si gioca tutto sui contrasti: sulle prime l'impressione è verde, erbacea e un tantino agrumata (muschio di quercia, lime e un tocco di rosa fresca), poi spuntano pepe nero e cannella sorretti da elicriso, timido invero ma per questo strepitoso, fino all'assestamento più balsamico e un po' cuoioso con incenso e mirra. l'evoluzione è dunque tra il fresco (non gelato nè a base di conifera!) e lo speziato, per finire sul resinoso. ottimo!

nasvoulg
nasvoulg

The opening reminds me of sweet church wine. The dry down is like a smokey version of Aramis 900.Highly recommended!

GrandmaGaga
GrandmaGaga

Someone below mentioned an "ashtray in a French cafe" smell in this...upon first hearing that description I thought "Ugh...what a horrid fragrance this must be!". Well...with an open mind and my eyes closed, I inhaled the fragrance off my wrist about a half hour after daubing it on...and that description is so accurate! Some people have a real talent for describing fragrances in such a way that I really "get" what they are talking about. The ashtray part is somewhat disconcerting at first but the French aspect of the description calls to mind beautiful European women wearing expensive perfumes whilst sitting at an outdoor cafe, smoking long slim cigarettes in even longer elegant cigarette holders.
Close your eyes, open your imagination and see what comes to mind!

loischanricky
loischanricky

One of my all time favorite. I'm very fond of the scent from myrrh and immortelle.
Actually I've used this one as a method to calm myself.
Couple of weeks ago I had an abdominal surgery, I applied very little juice on both my wrists before the nurses took me to the operating room.
I still remembered that my doctor (who's going to "open" my belly) said to me, " Wow you smell so good" before he wore his surgical mask(he came into the room to say hi to me before they prepared for the surgery).

Roge'
Roge'

In all honesty, you can never really really lose when you purchase fragrances from this house given the reasonable prices. With that being said, this stuff is waaaaay too safe. I'm talking child locks, or better yet Jack Johnson music type of safe. With this much capacity and flair given the note lineup, I expected Afternoon with a Faun to deliver; underwhelming in the expectations department. The immortelle note is very consistent throughout making this fragrance more for a goddess than for a God. Those that are not too fond of bombastic fragrances will find this rather delightful. Light and earthy seems to win people over...I guess. Could be a real treat for those that want to smell gorgeous. Personally, I'm looking for the CGI, the real special effects. None found here. There have been many descriptions for this fragrance, and I'd say this smells like a honeyed forest. If your looking for a fragrance that breaks the immortelle speed limit, then I'd suggest you to try Une Nuit a Doha.....not this wimpy thing.

spaniel
spaniel

A chypre of sorts, I guess. The main impression is of damp green forest floor. Oakmoss and that aquatic wetness you get with the use of floralozone. Strong sharp note of pepper cuts through, along with vegetable curry notes - cumin and celery perhaps? A definite Yatagan-like quality.

Interesting, but not for me.

megrim
megrim

I should preface this review with the fact that 'The Afternoon of a Faun' is without a doubt, my favourite perfume on the planet.

It opens with a blast of spicy-sweet green notes, something boozey, and a certain dank earthiness - almost musty. This is a case of the notes adding up to something greater than the sum of their parts. I can smell the steely, earthy orris, the sweet, inky immortelle, the leather, the resins, and the citrus. Altogether though they create a truly bizarre and wonderful olfactory impression. At once damp, dark, dank and green whilst retaining a slight fresh edge, something wild and untamed.

As the heart develops the leather and moss join the ever-present immortelle and the frag takes on a drier, dustier face. The orris continues its earthen march and the fragrance reminds me of crushed leaves on a dark forest floor - warm and ever-so-slightly damp. Hints of rotting vegetation, animal musks and musty leather.

This has orris that isn't carroty, immortelle that isn't syrupy or curry-like, pepper that isn't overwhelming and harsh. They've somehow managed to take notes that by all logic should clash terribly and made them dance together in one big, debaucherous orgy of leaves, trees and wild things.

Sillage is surprisingly good. It's not going to knock anyone out, but you'll catch whiffs of it frequently as you go about your day. Longevity is excellent, and the projection stays strong for a long percentage of wear time.

An odd, contrary imp of a fragrance. Enjoy with fine food, fine wine, and the embrace of a fine lover.

falah.alazmi.5
falah.alazmi.5

هذا العطر مجنوووون. بالمرة. انصح فيه رسمي وروعه مسائي او شتوي لا ينصح فيه بالصيف

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

I really dig this fragrance. This is Tracy Bonham's "Mother, Mother" video from 1996 (where the woman was vaccumming in the floor-to-ceiling avocado green living room the whole time) in a bottle. It's "shaggy" and mossy, kinda dank, and intriguing in an uncomfortable way. Also, there is a grip of rose! What a trip.

LetThereBeMe
LetThereBeMe

This is Pan.

Of the wild, green, herbal, untamed, animalic, warm, spicy, inviting and sprightly. A medley of notes flitting through the air. A captivating tune, orchestrated by a daring house.

Longevity and sillage are impressive. And certainly a cool weather fragrance.
It loses it's lustre in the heat.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

This is a complex perfume there's no doubt of that. It's difficult to pick out individual notes, other than strong rose in the opening.

There's a singed peppery woodiness as it develops that I find quite harsh (reminds me a little of the singed quality in Luten's L'Orpheline). Actually it's maybe birch (used for a leather note) which is often described as phenolic. As for immortelle, yes it's there but not in the way I've experienced immortelle in real life - i.e. a soft, warm golden, dusty haze borne on a Mediteranean breeze, with burnt sugar/fennel tones.

This is like immortelle trampled into the damp earth and the remains of a bonfire, perhaps by the cloven hooves of a dancing faun, who's danced his little hooves off all night, then he's awoken at dawn with the scent of cold, musky sweat clinging to his goaty/hairy body!

In other words, this is quite earthy and masculine, but odd too.

This singed woody slightly harsh quality remains all the way through for me. I tend to prefer those perfumes that you can relax into, whose dry down settles with skin harmoniously, and similarly to Fireside Intense, this note, which I think might be birch, or maybe a woody musk, is a little harsh

It doesn't quite suit my skin, and why would it? I'm not a hairy sweaty goat. Yep, this is Mr Tumnus trotting back to his cave after a night on the tiles!

Sillage quite soft, longevity good
Edit: I've just realised that this reminds me of the (I think discontinued) scent Nino Cerruti Pour Homme, I did like that on men - it had a leathery, sweaty jasmine aroma, but without this singed-hair/wood quality

Q80
Q80

the Top note is sharp & splashy as i've learned from ELDO's perfumes is their top notes shouldn't be counted cause you'll dislike good perfumes at MAX (as what happened to me with Tom of Finland, & Dangerous Complicity) so i gave it a bit time till the middle note after awhile it still smell quite sharp but complex! as the first second of sniffing the middle note gave the sharpness of pepper & maybe bergamot, & the second second of the same sniff before moving my nose from it i smell the dirtiness of floor that has been wiped by a million time used old building mob, huge complexity actually and a drawback i guess.
after 30 minutes then comes the base note, still sharp and it reminds me of an EXACT smell i get from Estee Lauder Intuition the for women one. quite sharp yellowish peppery smell. i guess it has the vintage prestigious aristocratic essence vibe, not much but a little because of it's sharpness and personally i see it a bit annoying to me. so i guess ill give it more tries and we'll see!

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

To me this is a lovely modern green chypre and yes it is aromatic, too. Think "Dioressence" but not so dry: warmer, wetter, grassier (freshly cut), and a bit fruity.

I keep on thinking lime green, mustard wallpapers with psychadelic patters of the 60ies and the wild parties that go with it. However you can equally play Dee-Lite "Groove Is In The Heart" and dance your socks off to it, until you find someone you fancy and you just step outside the terrace into the freshly cut lawn and start wet kissing on a late spring crisp evening when the first roses have just come to bloom. (You have both just drunk your 2nd bottle of Sauvignon Blanc).

If only those big black resin designer glasses weren't in the way, you'd actually enjoy being snogged by a geek. Oh now they are playing "Cantaloop" by US-3 (funky).

10/10 for originality. Colour code: LIME GREEN

CathyCooper
CathyCooper

This is a difficult, sensual green fragrance. It's like the ooze of sex on a fresh bed of hay. I LOVE this scent.

dalmajen
dalmajen

Harsh, to the bitter end.
I'm happy that I received a sample of this strange named fragrance. I have to admit, it was very difficult wearing this the whole day! I wanted to see how it developed, and if it got any better...But, in the end, I was happy to scrub it off, as I just couldn't get used to the overwhelming bitterness of it! The opening had a touch of bergamot, but was quickly overcome with the crack of a large leather whip, surrounded by immortelle and a cold steely touch of iris. I didn't pick up any cinnomon, which is a shame, as it would have added a bit of warmth to the picture. Perhaps the moss made it so bitter, hard to say, but the fragrance is so very dry! Dry and a very unpleasant type of green. I felt very uncomfortable wearing it, as it has an almost sad vibe to it. It is by far, a more masculine scent. This may be attractive to those who like rather dry, green, leathery scents. I just couldn't get past the harsh, bitter side of it.

fuggerone
fuggerone

this scent is heavy and thick just like an 80's powerhouse, really aromatic and green, for grown ups only..kids of the 80's..and girls of the 80's love it to bits!
layered in the afterglow with Antaeus.... and the trick is done!

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Big, green, soft, warm and funky. Green and dry like chrysanths, round and rich like roses, a twang of bitter celery and turmeric, some quality of dust motes in a sunray, quite a bit of leather quietly underlying it all. Bone dry, rich and earthy with excellent old-fashioned staying power.

Justin Vivian Bond, who co-created this perfume, said in Paper Magazine "I wanted it to smell like 'a touch of taint on the knoll at twilight.' By that, I mean I wanted it to smell like two faeries dancing by a fire in the woods and then going off and having sex next to a bed of flowers." I'm not sure that it absolutely hits that directive but it is a beautifully blended, off-centre dry green floral which pays funked-up homage to classics like Miss Dior and Chanel no19.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

The spicy incense opening to "Afternoon of Faun" evokes the scene of Nijinsky's ballet quite brilliantly. It's sombre, haunting and earthy. However, the drydown...

The potent imortelle, mixed with leather, some vague floral notes and oakmoss, create a weird musky accord that reminds me of a dried up urinal cake in a vacant pissoire. The texture is dusty, like pencil shavings.

Overall, not pleasant.

Cereza
Cereza

So, Faun is a forest god from Roman mythology. In this in mind I was very eager to try THE AFTERNOON OF A FAUN, I've loved creations by ELDO before and this is yet another wonderful composition.
I can't tell a single note that stands out as this has a perfect composition with all the notes. This reminds me of a sunny day in forest. This is not just a scent of pines and such. This is the smell of trees, wood branches, soil, leaves (the green ones in the trees and those below your feet) and even mushrooms. It feels so weird yet so inviting and interesting. I was literally sniffing myself all day long even though I cannot imagine myself wearing this on daily basis.

This is clearly worth a try. Excellent silage and it stayed on my skin for more than 10 hours.
I do think though that this will compliment a male skin more.

ninjaove
ninjaove

This reminds me of a shampoo I had in the eighties. It was called Jane hellen and it came in a green triangular bottle. I feel really nostalgic when I smell this. does anyone else smell this or does my memory play a trick on me? the scent is really good. it's musty and foresty. and really strong. some thing wet, damp and dark to. it's just on the verge of getting a bit to overpowering. it's also a bit diffrent so test before you buy. works for both men and women.

CherryPicker
CherryPicker

Musty, old books. An ashtray in a french cafe kind of smell

In my experience of Etat Libre d'Orange Afternoon of a Faun, a new perfume by the famed Ralf Schwieger, there are two very clear and distinct phases. The opening is a big volume sweet oriental. This sets up certain expectations (mostly of some sort of amber drydown to come). What follows, however, seems more like a woody chypre! Very interesting composition, it seems to me, as these two phases have been magically united in one little bottle of perfume.

I initially thought that Afternoon of a Faun would be, as advertised, more likely to be appreciated by women than men. I changed my view though by the drydown, when I kept thinking of the dying embers of a campfire perfumes which I've encountered. The composition ends up smelling dry and austere, more like a scent for a cowboy of the rugged West than the denizens of a brothel, as rich orientals sometimes suggest.

I've seen that opinions are all over the map on this creation, with people apparently perceiving completely different perfumes, all bearing the name Afternoon of a Faun. But that makes perfect sense, since this is so complex and juxtaposes notes in such unexpected ways that different people are bound to focus on different features.

The incense is quite marked to my nose, but the smokiness makes this seem like a lot more than the run-of-the-mill incense perfume. I definitely would not categorize this in the incense but the woody oriental chypre genre. I am not at all sure that I know what immortelle smells like, so no comment on that component. The important point here is that I find this to be a very fine perfume--of which I'd love to have a bottle!

jtd
jtd

The perfume-tells-a-story bit isn’t my bag. Why do we try so hard to push narrative onto non-literal experiences? As much as I love to write about perfume, the writing is utterly after the fact of the experience. Just let me smell my perfume and experience the state.

The poem, the music the ballet, the myth. Genug shoin! Afternoon of a Faun perfume doesn’t suggest fauns or any of the notions that a faun represents in mythology. But story aside, it is a brilliant perfume.

There have been a number of strategies to recreate or suggest the chypre accord without the bio-hazard oakmoss. Chanel 31 Rue Cambon bends a floral amber into the shape of a chypre. Annick Goutal Mon Parfum Cheri makes patchouli, a common chypre component, a stand-in for rather than a partner to oakmoss. de Nicolai’s Vie de Chateau Intense plays with the hay-like scent of coumarin to create a fougere/chypre hybrid. But Ralf Schwieger does a clever turn with Afternoon of a Faun.

Using immortelle, which I wouldn’t otherwise think to associate with oakmoss, he plays up the sandpapery, dusty feel of oakmoss giving us the tone and the shape of the chypre without explicitly trying to smell like one. The composition has a clear bergamot note, and an ambery benzoin if not cistus labdanum itself, so the rest of the chypre elements are in play. But immortelle, when matched with incense and myrrh implies that state between smokiness and resin that moss creates. Imagine that perfume notes are elements on the periodic table. Schwieger goes directly up one level to find the element that shares the same chemical properties as our element oakmoss and makes a new compound.

Rather then suggesting a chypre (31 Rue Cambon) or using chypre-like elements (treemoss and the new synthetics) Schwieger gives us a parallel universe chypre, and I for one couldn’t be happier. This could easily be a signature scent for someone searching for perfume monogamy.

from scent hurdle.com

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

A unisex concoction of boozy spice, green notes and leather. It smells herbal fresh. The overall effect on the imagination is of saddling up a horse before riding off into the crisp, woodsy air of the countryside. The cinnamon and pepper is pronounced. It has an edible component like a hot cross bun dipped in a rum liqueor.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Got a sample of this for the husband. I loved it on him. It's got a certain forest vibe, I can clearly pick out the pepper, a note I'm fond of. Unfortunately, he thought it too floral for him.

Na0
Na0

Difficult to describe it... Perhaps with a music video ?
watch?v=6oYmc9WTdSs
(Faun - Egil Saga)

Forest, beautiful voices of the 2 singers, pagan music... Well, it's pretty well summarized, in my opinion.

Animalic, deep and warm. But very aromatic and floral, with a powdery background. That's it for me...
The Immortelle (beautiful name for a beautiful flower) is powerful, and supported by the bergamot. A floral-citrus combo on the top, with another duet on the background composed by incense and leather, dear to EldO.

For completing this, all is well included by spices all-around, as cinnamon, myrrh and benzoin.

So here it is, forget all you know about fragrances, this one is very unique. A faun is half-human, half-animal, this perfume is half-earthy, half-floral.

Half-loved ? No... ENTIRELY LOVED !

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

Wowee, congrat's ELd'O - now this is what can be called a proper 'CHYPRE' chypre ! (And not just a pale 'modern-patchouli-laden-cheating' mock one, but a gloriously authentic true mossy one, just like in their golden good ol' days !) - Just goes to show & prove that, in these our 'FDA-restricted' times, it's still perfectly possible to turn out a beautifully mossy chypre, just the way they're supposed & meant to be.

-> And hey Fragrantica, you really need to update the above notes list to include what is arguably 'Faun's most imperative note i.e. MOSS, which somehow you've neglected to include. And it really is the one note that informs the whole vibe of the fragrance.

Wentworth-Roth
Wentworth-Roth

What I see reminds me very much of YS Uzac's Pohadka. The two fragrances are built with almost the same notes: leather, immortelle, resins, as well as similar green and fresh notes. I prefer Pohadka, because it is more complex and lasts longer.

hellkat
hellkat

The flavours in here are such an unusual combination that I am not sure what attracts me to it. At first the temptation is to knock it back and complain of "oldness" but in fact its the scent of antiquity which keeps bringing me back to try it again, every ten minutes or so. Its the smell of musty flowers in a vase of brackish water. That must be the helichrysum: it reminds me of old chrysanths that nobody removed from a hospital bedside. But the peppery backlash against the delicacy of the bergamot and the incense, makes it modern, mysterious and dark, gives it depth and staying power, draws you in with enchantment, wanting to know what it will smell of next time you sniff.

I'm a huge fan of Etat Libre D'Orange but, this thime, they really have to be kidding me. Immortelle? Cinnamon? Benzoin? Leather? WHAAAT?

This is all about a hyper-green orris root bonded around a woody-citrus bone structure. Maybe not as generic as one may initially think but definitely safe and sort of cold. Made me think about a partially successful delivery from Divine. Think about L'Etre Aime Homme minus the ambery drydown and you'll get an idea. There's a part where the orris root is timidly joined by some immortelle that catched my interest. It seemed an interesting evolution but, unfortunately the accord doesn't bloom and the helichrysum is relegated to a side note leaving the fragrance with a thin green woody vibe which is not bad yet extremely far from being interesting. The fragrance is pervaded by a rose-y vibe throughout. There must be some rose in here. Maybe some incense....somewhere...

Good lasting and good projection.

ladykarl
ladykarl

have not yet got past the smell of celery but its nice and warm. warm celery.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Peppery, spicy, leather and green with more citrus than I expected. This scent has almost a vintage vibe. Fairly tame from my viewpoint. I was surprised after all the hype from this company about the hyper-sexual nature of their fragrances. It's not there in this scent, that's for sure. It's nice, but just above average I would say.