Designers » D E » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men

Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men
dislike

smoky
Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men Pictures Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men Pictures Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men Pictures Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men Pictures Messe de Minuit Etro for women and men Pictures

Messe de Minuit by Etro is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Messe de Minuit was launched in 1994. Top notes are bergamot, lemon and orange; middle notes are myrhh, cinnamon, petitgrain, citron and patchouli; base notes are musk, myrhh and labdanum.

Bergamot Lemon Orange

Wazamba

Messe de Minuit Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Messe de Minuit (vintage '90s EDC version) is another peculiar and mysterious scent from the "golden era" of Etro parfums. It opens with a really balsamic, vibrant citrus-herbal accord of aromatic herbs, candied citrus notes which manage to smell sweet and sugary but at the same time much bitter and fresh, on a resinous base of olibanum and "something" which I am unable to identify which smells quite dense, sticky and carnal, like a lighter version of castoreum. The scent is undoubtedly unique and intriguing, it's a dusty, Oriental, mystical blend, really luminous (in a rather unusual way – a "grey morning" transparent luminosity, forget any predictable "summer" light) but at the same time dark. The balsamic is all over: balsamic herbs, balsamic resins, balsamic incense. Finally the sugary feel is also peculiar and compelling, it's not a gourmand sugar and not fruity, it's more a really spicy, resinous, almost "fizzy" sweet note, with just a taste of citrus. A lot of interesting contrasts and nuances going on. In a way it's surely an "incense" scent, although more earthy, organic, spicy, herbal than most of others – plus the incense is resinous, thick, Oriental, so don't think of any dry, synthetic, austere incense à la Avignon (to which Messe de Minuit, at least this early version, has not really much in common). The incense here smells more of dry myrrh, church woods, stale nuances of dusty furniture, old books, with a thin breeze of cold air. It fascinates me a lot how this scent recreates a mystical mood avoiding a bomb of incense, it's rather a really well played harmony of other "ambiental" suggestions – woods, furniture, flowers, dust... really meditative and captivating, surely a memorable and unique fragrance. The only "con" is that it's quite bold and long-lasting, and being fairly peculiar, it may not be the safest scent for a blind buy – in other words, it's not really versatile and "crowd-pleasing", better try it. Surely worth it!

Mythea
Mythea

It is important to specify which legacy of this fragrance you are reviewing. In this case, I'm reviewing the original 1994 version, I expected a heavy grave-like, musty, somewhat awful scent, I bought it (half fearful) with these expectations, but what arrived was something entirely unexpected. It does embrace the incense/church thing, but as I put it on, and as I've worn it I get something different.

The scent comes in very high in the palate/nose. It is sweet, far sweeter than anyone prepared me for, and very like newly mown grass. It mellows into a freshly made sauna, all the strength of cut wood, some citrus - in the family of orange rather than lemon, and still very reminiscent of reading an old book.

I have found myself putting this on in the morning, forgetting about it, then finding myself on the tube (London Underground) much later, thinking someone smells amazing.... then to realize it's me.

archivist
archivist

This is probably the thinnest, most transparent, and least generous of all the "church incense" fragrances. It is watered down compared to its richer cousins like Avignon, Sahara Noir, Cardinal, etc. - if you're looking for an incense fragrance, get one that has enough projection to shine through if you choose to layer it with other scents, which is the easiest way to make these holy powerhouses wearable outside of a cathedral.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

Can anyone please compare this to Sacrebleu ?

I have forgotten Sacrebleu compared to this. To me, the initial blast is citrus, then it develops to myrrh and frankincense. I love this at the height of winter !

garamascara
garamascara

I spilled a full sample vial of this into my bra, so I got a really heavy dose. It took me a minute to figure out what it reminded me of, and then it hit me, old school scratch and sniff stickers. Specifically, the dill pickle sticker. After an hour or so, the dill pickle smell faded and then more of the incense emerged. I will say that at the end of the day, my husband came home from work and nuzzled my cleavage and said "you smell divine." So while I didn't enjoy this too much, after a good six hours of wearing it did turn into something attractive.

kris919
kris919

foul. it's musty like a wet abandoned building, yet it has this really strong candied orange zest note. This is immediately followed by the zest note smelling like it's on fire and burning. It's harsh and it's giving me a headache and it just keeps getting worse. the drydown smells like scented maxi pads. I'm not even kidding. I LOVE churchy incense perfumes...heeley cardinal, the commes des garcon incense series, tom fords sahara noir. But Etro's take on a midnight mass scent has no incense in it that I can tell, and it smells sh$%%y

jht4060
jht4060

I got a sample of this and decided I had to get a full bottle. Located in the USA, I had a terrible time finding it and then - Essenza Nobile! This German etailer with an Italian name has a web site in English and will ship to the USA (a model of the international economy). They have a wide selection of niche fragrances including quite a few that I can't find anywhere in North America.

Oh yes this is supposed to be about Etro Messe de Minuit. What an exhilarating scent. It is among the finest evokers of smoking incense I have smelled, paired with irresistably delicious candied mixed citrus, honey, and cinnamon top and middle notes. Later it has lots of frankincense (coniferous peppery balsamic lemony anisic) and myrrh (humus earthy bitter sweet musty) of course, together with a smoky note to evoke the burning, and some patchouli that blends in nicely. I have no Catholic Mass associations with this since I was raised vaguely Protestant and am now a confirmed atheist, so you might react differently if this reminds of something you love or hate or are bored by or feel guilty about. Even to me it smells devotional at the same time as being drop dead gorgeous. Cardinal Woolsey and Mother Superior meet Pretty Woman (Roberts and Roberts and Gere oh my).

jeffthebarbarian
jeffthebarbarian

I received a sample of this beauty from a fellow fragrantician, and I have to say that I have never smelled anything like this!
WOW! When I put it on my skin, I wasn't expecting what I got.
The first note I perceived was lemon zest, real enough that it made my mouth water. It actually made me thirsty, it was so sharp.
After about a minute of warming up on the skin, the myrrh overtakes the lemon. The myrrh adds a sweet dimension to the background of lemon.
As the fragrance goes on, the myrrh lingers and the citrus fades. It doesn't last extremely long on my skin. It lasts about 3-4 hours.

I've never been to a Catholic church or an orthodox church (I was raised Southern Baptist...we didn't use any incense in church at all), so I can't vouch for it smelling like a church. I could have only wished for our church to smell like that. WOW!
I absolutely adore this scent! I wear myrrh essential oil sometimes, and this is very myrrh-y. I will have to test again soon to hunt out the patchouli and cinnamon.
I definitely can recommend this!
Edit: Upon subsequent applications of this, I can definitely spot the patchouli. It is not in the foreground, instead it sits subtly in the background...giving off a slight warmth after about 30 minutes on my skin.
I absolutely adore this fragrance, but on warmer days it disappears even quicker than the 3-4 hours.
If this were less expensive, or the lasting power longer, I would buy this in a heartbeat. One of the most beautiful and unusual perfumes I have encountered.

9-na
9-na

The scent was incense and aldehydes on me, almost bitter-sweet, with a dusty edge at first, gradually becoming greener, airier, and more dewy. I liked the way it was and the way it changed on my skin.

Insensé
Insensé

I'm in the path of my holy grail. Every day I feel getting closer.
The name "Messe de Minuit" had all to be a devastating crush in the longing and missing memories of my childhood: family in christmas excursion to church at midnight.
And when I sprayed today my first drops on my neck and wrists, I was not prepared to the overwhelm I fell afterwards. It was the first time I felt closer to perfection in perfumery, this meaning in a rush being in the past, meditation break, traveling to a place of interior regrets, and nostalgia of the forever lost innocence.
Patchouli perfection. Nothing more to say now.

antfarm
antfarm

For about a month, I wore this almost every other day. I really enjoyed how this doesn't smell like a perfume at all, but like the clothes of a person who burns incense a lot.

After a while I couldn't wear this anymore. I could smell thick, slowly floating incense that was pretty impressive and true-to-life, but in the background I could smell something sour and musty, like a moldy orange. Think: Attack of the Killer Oranges where they roll down the aisles of a Catholic church.

lakuota
lakuota

Holy incense! This one is really perfect. Blend of citruses and incense really gives a Christmasy feel. I'm a lover of stronger perfumes. This one surprised me, because it is simultaneously smoky and joyful, heavy and light, serious and frivolous.

I should note that I tried two versions of MdM: the second edition of EDC and EDT. There were some differences - EDC seems more fresh than EDT in the beginning. You get a citrusy blast at first sniff, whereas in EDT you can feel myrrh and patchouli at the beginning. EDT lasted a bit longer (~7 hrs) in comparison to EDC (~5.5 hrs). If I had to choose, I'd choose EDC - this is a very unique composition, as I mentioned earlier, with rich range of notes from sour to smoky and more complex development with plot twists. You wear it and it grabs your attention every 20 minutes.

Also what I wanted to mention - this is completely a daytime perfume for me, I can't imagine wearing it at night, well maybe unless the Christmas Eve, the special night full of miracles and heavenly touch, though it's the longest night in the year. But for the rest of the year I'd prefer to wear it on sunny day in snowy winter - contrasting weather for contrasting perfume.

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

Am I the only person in the whole world who smells here loads of dried lavender with a tiny bit of inscense instead of church full of holy smoke?

glorious1
glorious1

I love it! I don't wear it around other people much. It's the BEST sleeping pill in the world! Very very unusual!

jannalev
jannalev

Messe de Minuit is a very realistic smell of the Orthodox church. It feels like a flow of warm air from the candles in the face when you enter an old church with thick walls painted with frescos. A very true smell of the melting wax and damp dusty building.

Incense, amber, patchouli and myrrh are some of my favourite notes. I'm a sucker for anything dense, woody, spicy or resinous. Messe de Minuit was predestined to become part of my collection.

Where I live, the Winter months are cold, windy and rather dull. Heavy orientals tend to provide the warmth that I crave and desire during this season. A direct translation of Messe de Minuit is midnight mass. Okay, forgive me Christians, but this fragrance isn't religious or 'churchy' to my nose whatsoever. It's an exotic blend of spices and resinous woods, with a drizzle of honey. I would wear this fragrance through the gates of hell or even to entice my lover on a night where passion was particularly desirable.

A unisex fragrance, it is indeed. I dare say a man would smell intoxicating while wearing Messe de Minuit. I probably wouldn't be able to tear myself away from him. But mind you, it's hard to resist myself sometimes in this beautiful elixir. Animalistic is another great word used to describe Messe de Minuit's magic.

It is so deliciously spicy on my skin, that it leans occasionally towards being a gourmand. It smells almost as good as a Christmas cake laced with rum and raisins. Actually many reviewers have noted its somewhat 'Christmasey' feel.

I'm loving Messe de Minuit, and it's only my first day of wearing it. The longevity is superb, as is the sillage, and on that note, please apply this fragrance sparingly as it does sit on the skin rather strongly. I've always wanted to explore the Etro range, but I've left it rather late. I'm glad we're getting acquainted now.

Singabera
Singabera

Now I understand what the incense is...
The opening is bright, quite chypre, then the base...
I feel the сhristian church aroma and wetness, I mean the smell of the damp building. From the one side - that fragrance makes me calm and relax, from the other - it smells disturbing. Something from my memories...

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

It opens orange and cinnamon with woody smoke, than comes patchouly and honey. When dries down, I smell wood,patcouly,musk and cinnamon with a little bergamot. It's sharp and deep at the same time. I like it very much, but can not say for which occasions is the most suitable, depends on personal feelings. It can be winner on summer night or winter day.It's good when I feel shortage of energy!

What I like at Etro , is that usually doesn't classify perfumes into womens and mens. In my opinion that should be a general rule. People are sometimes frustrated if wearing a perfume which is classified like opposite gender scent. That's something what I don't really understand, but that's how it is.
What do you think guys, the most important after all is the smell itsef, isn't it ?!

Bravo ETRO!

Stating to the name of this fragrance I was expecting a dark and mysterious interpretation of the churchy frankincense theme but all I got was a (no more than) honest spicy citrus-patchouli-honey combo with some incense. The citrus is mainly orange that while blending with cinnamon and honey brings to mind of those bags of potpourrì you receive as a present from you neighbours at christmas. Not completely bad, but absolutely nowhere close to Avignon, Bois D'Encens or Zagorsk.

Someone pointed out this scent and some others by Etro to me. I usually like incense scents. I think I tested the complete Etro line that was in the shop and didn't like any. I don't know what Etro does to it's scents that they all are so very harsh and masculine. Nothing for me. Also my companion that day didn't like any of Etro. Sometimes I think there is a reason, why some brands are not spread so much.

This is a bit much for me at first, but eventually dries down to a very pleasant fragrance. The notes are natural, well-articulated, balanced, and there is good dynamism. It takes at least an hour with my skin chemistry to get to this point. Longevity and projection/"sillage" are good to very good, but not outstanding. Note that this is not a dry, woody frankincense (like Avignon or Timbuktu, or any number of ones released during the incense craze of a several years ago) but more of a damp, resinous incense. If you have never smelled this, you may like the former but dislike this one, so sampling first is a good idea. I don't like the dry/woody, niche incense fragrances, but instead think of this one as my "true" incense fragrance. If I want a fragrance with a clear, dry, sandalwood/incense type note, I've got a few to reach for, including vintage Zino and Cat5alyst for Men.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: According to a member of basenotes.net, there are at least three versions of this fragrance. The first was an EdC with a round label on the bottle. This one is very musty and not very fresh. The second one is also an EdC, but it comes in a box with a brownish/reddish paisley pattern. This is the one I have tried. The bottle has a gold cap and there is a square label on the bottle, though it says the same thing as the first version. The most recent version is an EdT and is the freshest one, possessing little of the musty/incense qualities of the first two. The one I have, apparently, has a nice balance, though if you want the full musty treatment, you'd want to try and track down the original (good luck with that!).

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

translation of merilu59's review

"mentre molti profumi di incenso hanno tendenza a portare le associazioni delle chiese polverose scure antiche al punto che confina fra misterioso e deprimente, questo odora luminoso
È messa di natale cattolica in una bottiglia. Adorabile, caldo, resinoso, delizioso."

While many incense perfumes have the tendency to carry the associations of dusty dark churches to the point that they border between mysterious and depressing, this luminous odour is Catholic mass in a bottle. Adorable, warm, resinous, delicious.

merilu59
merilu59

Cyntillate
Cyntillate

I am very fond of most Etro scents including this one. It seems that maybe some people are reacting too much to the very first opening fragrance which is a little sharp and quite incensey. But as with all good perfume it evolves and changes as it blends with your own chemistry. The Etro perfumes are sophisticated and complicated which makes them so satisfying to wear. You can sniff your wrist every 10 minutes and notice a small change or a new fragrance development. Messe de Minuit dries down to a very subtle very pleasant smell. The frankincense shock at the outset is just its opening line to a very interesting, historically accurate, romaticist conversation that is private and enlightening for the wearer. If you were put off at first try, have another chat with it, you may come away with a new appreciation.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

this is not an easy to wear fragrance, but - oh! it's quite special)) For once, this is the truest frankincense representation in perfume I've ever came across (at least the type of incense burnt in most Orthodox churches): smokey, orange-zesty and woodsy; you have to be in a mood to wear this.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Just got a sample of this in a swap, and I'm loving it! I don't get anything musty, depressing, or creepy from it, maybe because of not having all of the Catholic associations. It seems like a warm, cheerful scent to me. I can see how it could seem Christmas-y, but in a happy, not a cold way. At first I smell a little bit of citrus, a lot of cinnamon, sweet honey, and what I assume is ambrette. It dries down to a lovely spicy-honey-musky scent. There's not a lot of incense, especially compared to something like Avignon, which is pure incense (and one that I also love). I would wear Messe de Minuit any time. I think I would even spray it on myself, and that's saying a lot.

OMG! I have to agree with all previous reviewers about churchy Messe de Minuit! It is a very good and exact rendition of the typical smell of ancient well kept, not too dusty Catholic churches and even more Ortodhox churches! It is not something I would wear on myself. Definetely too reminiscent of a church, which is not my aim and would be annoying in a long time, but definetely an interesting, clear, and well crafted scent!

Malegria
Malegria

Yep - it is repeating the smell of the incense that is burnt in Catholic or Orthodox churches.Slightly sour, smokey, woodsy.Very bright glimpses of orange peel and wax candles.It is definitely not ordinary and will draw looks and comments!How is it possible to forget someone that smells like a wedding in a church?

I love it, my husband loves it, my kids love it - and we all went trick or treating wearing Messe de Minuit tonight! Very suitable!

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

When I sprayed it on my skin at the first time, and labdanum notes made me feel myself in the church. I'm not a catholic, I belong to a Russian Orthodox Church, and it smells in our Russian churches like this perfume does. It was a strange and unusual feeling, like my room returned into a small Russian Orthodox chapel.
Then came some orange notes and it make me feel more comfortable. I think I will use it rarely.

yantestrs
yantestrs

OMG! it's a frickin' graveyard! I've got some creepy scents in my collection but this is by far the creepiest I've ever smelled! Heh, Halloween is going to be fun this year: dress like a corpse, smell like a corpse. Great!

I agree with CaraMia completely. There's a note in resin church incense that is at once sweet and slightly musty and this has it down pat. It is Catholic midnight Mass in a bottle. Lovely, warm, resinous, delightful. I can see the candlelight streaming through stained glass right now...

CaraMia
CaraMia

This is the closest thing to a real churchy midnight mass incense that I know. It has that gorgeous aroma down perfectly. I don't know what went into the incense I remember or whether there was any Myrrh in it at all, but this Etro fragance is reminiscent. Even if you don't think that smelling like a church at Christmas is a good thing, this one is definitely worth a try. Don't think this is a head shop smelling incense or a burnt smelling one because it isn't. It is posh and rich smelling. My only qualm is that it should last longer, but 4 hours can get me though a nuce evening.

I love it!

Messe de Minuit by Etro 4.03 out of 5 based on 230 ratings and 32 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etro Messe de Minuit fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Etro Messe de Minuit, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Messe de Minuit by Etro. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Messe de Minuit by Etro represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.