Designers » D E » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Palais Jamais Etro for women and men

Palais Jamais Etro for women and men
dislike

leather
Palais Jamais Etro for women and men Pictures Palais Jamais Etro for women and men Pictures Palais Jamais Etro for women and men Pictures Palais Jamais Etro for women and men Pictures Palais Jamais Etro for women and men Pictures Palais Jamais Etro for women and men Pictures

Palais Jamais by Etro is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Palais Jamais was launched in 1989. Top notes are bergamot, petitgrain, jasmine and mandarin orange; middle notes are birch, sage and musk; base notes are vetiver and oakmoss.

Bergamot Petitgrain Jasmine Mandarin Orange

Godolphin

Palais Jamais Fragrance Reviews

kouros94
kouros94

First impression: the first drops of a summer storm hitting blocks of dusty sandstone, the smell rises hitting your nose with a mineral, earthy and dry yet humid scent. As the fragrance develops, this image becomes cloudier, citruses and herbs enter the picture, the scent becomes woodier, I do get the liquorice roots reference, with that earthy, dusty almost leathery sweetness, a perfect example where the perfume is more than a sum of the parts (vetiver, birch and oakmoss). This perfume is all but simple. At first I dismissed it, only upon second wearing did I really grasp the creativity. I expect I will continue to discover this fragrance with its subtle facets. All in all, great fragrance, perfect for reflecting on perfume as an art form. A refreshing attempt to create art and not a commercial people pleaser.

polly golightly
polly golightly

bellissimo e bilanciato, questo è uno straordinario profumo unisex, fresco, campagnolo eppure elegantissimo. le note di inizio sono verdi e terrose di bergamotto, te verde, muschio di quercia e vetiver. l'assestamento procede verso una morbidezza che restituisce sentori lievemente affumicati di cuoio ingentiliti da gelsomino e salvia. sul fondo si arriva ad uno skin-scent muschiato gradevolissimo. veramente notevole.

morkant
morkant

To me this is green, grey and beige... Very dry and intellectual, also peaceful and restful. I love to wear this before bed, I sleep very well.

It's not listed here but the musk is referred to as an 'oak musk' somewhere and it's beautiful, with a definite oaky smell like a white wine cork.

Personally its just a bit dry for me and seems to vanish very quickly, otherwise one of my favorites.

SuzySchnabel

Yes, vintage PJ arrived several weeks ago, had time to wear it often ( don't want to finish this lovely bottle too soon so I'm carefull now..)....
It's even better than the modern one, more sillage + longevity ( I smell my arm the next morning as skinsmell, or when moving arms after many hours I got surprisingly still some 'wafts').
The notes are fuller, smell no tea but something like maybe civet, although this sensation reminds me of Diorella ( ja! ) and there it's the honeysuckle..
It's a little sweet and still quiet green.
Moss is there, less flowers my impression ( but maybe I got so used to it? No, the jasmine is gone here ) might be even a bit of leather ( or Gomma ! ) but I'm no good at detecting leathers, usually I don't smell them when many others do ( like in Cabochard, Shalimar or Miss Dior Old, never smelled leather ) here I do ! No metal at all. Just lasting 'full'greens, can smell vetiver and birch. No musk. A gorgeous mandarine-like fruit is there..
I love this one and think it's very original. It keeps lingering and it's mesmerising for me.
This is my report on the vintage EDT, after I reported the modern EDT a month ago.
I haven't tried yet all the ETRO juices, but this is my favourite till now ( I liked only Dianthus, Ambra + Jacquard I don't like at all )
So happy with it.

Momenti
Momenti

"Just Landed On The Moon" ****

It happens I wondered how it smells walking on the moon. And now I imagine it could be everything this scent conjures, being that a place where no palaces were ever built.
Metal still warm of your spacial capsule, just after you landed the moon, surrounds you, and the dust penetrates your nose.

Launched in 1989, this was so futuristic that I'd like to ask Neil Armstrong about how correct my feeling is.

SuzySchnabel

I'm wearing now the modern EDT and will come back to review when the vintage version arrives.
This is a very beautiful green , light but longstanding
( I still smell it on skin the morning after which doesn't happen with modern Shalimar EDT)
I wouldn't know what it resembles, but it gives me faint dejavus of green 70s, but was too little to remember the names, maybe Givenchy 3..)
I smell moss, firn , flowers ( jasmine? ) white musk and woods..
Like it very much. I'll be back..

katy-n
katy-n

I really love this scent.
My impression is a bonfire in a blooming orchard at dusk. I get sharp smoke and some herbs, wood and blossoms behind it. Feels pretty much like an enjoyable trip to countryside, such a nostalgic reminder of childhood.
When I wear Palais Jamais I just can't stop sniffing my wrists, it is so pleasant to me. But it is also very specific and definitely not easy to wear. I mostly use it at home for myself, because I'm afraid it can be offensive for some people. And yes, I disliked it at first, but it grew on me so quickly that I bought it in half an hour after testing. A wonderful and unique creation.

pattimorey
pattimorey

Well, I found a very small 1 or 2 oz vintage hotel bottle of Etro palais jamais shampoo at a yard sale. i like the clean pretty fragrance so well, reminds me of some product that was available back in the day. To me it smells fresh ^ clean.
I was thinking there might be a lot of people here with tons of fragrances just sitting on their dresser or vanity. Maybe, I could be affectionately looked upon as your poor cousin of this Fragrantica fragrance family. I really really want some more of that jamais palais shampoo! Or jamais palais anything. I could trade someting for a bottle of it, like a vintage clothing or vintage something you've been looking for...please let me know!
The fragrance reviews here on this website are truly great, btw! very thoughtful & i learned a lot from them

cytherian
cytherian

To me, this is a very unusual fragrance in its curious mossy green appearance. Not what one would expect to have been formulated. There is ample oakmoss within, and vetiver, but the way it is blended with the cedar, bergamot and petitgrain... At first it is dry and a bit sharp, a brewed herbal that almost suggests some kind of scented cleaning fluid. I did NOT like this at first. I bought it blind and thought I made a mistake.

I have come to discover that newly experienced accords take time to appreciate. They can be off putting at first, but in time you get to discover their true character. With Palais Jamais, that sharp opening softens into the dry down. The rich oakmoss is garnished with sage and jasmine, and cedar becomes less prominent than in the beginning.

Still, there's only a subtle sweetness to this. And burnt plastic? Well, you might be able to force that imagery. There are qualities to unpleasant aromas that can appear in similar forms, but shifted enough as to become quite pleasant. Palais Jamais seems to do this.

But don't get me wrong -- this is NOT an easy fragrance to wear. I think of it more like a personal scent, one that you wear when you just want to enjoy the artistry of an unusual accord.

I bought this along side the older Etro Vetiver. I thought for sure that the Vetiver would be more appealing to me (which at first it was), but Palais Jamais, the ever palace it is, nudged its way to the same shelf. I don't know if Etro's latest version of it is the same as the older gold cap version. If it is, don't hesitate to give it a try if the prominent notes appeal to you. This is a curiosity worth owning.

Longevity is OK, sillage is a little below average.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

My review is based on a vintage EDT bottle of this. Incredible, unique opening of oak moss (great, earthy, stale), vetiver, herbaceous notes, tobacco, a light leather note, dense and humid floral notes (the typical "masculine" ones, like lavender and carnation), a genius tea note providing a beautiful thin fruity aroma, then a nuance of licorice, which I also smell in Etro Vetiver. A real triumph of natural mysticism, hard to describe but easy to love, powerful and deep, "rural" somehow but incredibly charming and refined it its woody silkiness. There is also a slightly salty-animalic base note which adds ambiguous and dark sensuality to an already decadent and elegant carnal scent – a concoction which effortlessly manages to appear Oriental, exotic, savage and mysterious but at the same time, amazingly sophisticated, gentle, "European" in its austere, aristocratic meaning. The notes themselves may appear common, but this scent is truly unique, enigmatic, elusive, dense – to sum up and give you a "rough figure", however, a mossy-woody-tobacco Oriental blend with resins, flowers (as I said, the typical fougère ones), and an aromatic fog comprising nuances of leather and licorice. A bit linear and quite long-lasting, so be sure to try it before wearing it – otherwise you may get bored after a while. To me, an incredible gem totally worth at least a try (one of those scents which truly smell "niche" to me... you need gallons of today's niche stuff to reach such a creative zenith!).

tymanski
tymanski

the absinthe-coloured juice sits patiently in the myriad bottles waiting for the precisely correct time to be worn; it's a coolish, overcast summers day, a hint of menace in the clouds. this smokey, mossy tea - with a stout vetiver heart - elixir has its moment..... pj always imparts a contemplative, comforting impression when the right day appears. very nice

kl99
kl99

A pure green sugar cube.
A Candied bergamot.
A bit "Plummy".
A fairy forest, full of kind spirits.
Adorable.
Magic and without time like a tale.

Etro is a funny house for me. I do not always fully understand their creations, but I sense that they are all made of high-quality ingredients, featuring many natural components. PALAIS JAMAIS is a case in point. As I have enjoyed sniffing my way through a generous house-manufactured carded sample, I have become more and more smitten, which makes me wonder whether these creations do not simply require a bit more time to fully digest.

This perfume is an incredibly beautiful, entirely unisex, herbal-moss chypre--sort of. It's actually a bit difficult to describe. The oakmoss (and yes, it's evernia prunastri, according to the text printed on the card), is in full evidence, but it is balanced by enough bright elements that the overall effect is not gray but light green.

I feel that this composition is perfectly blended, and I wonder whether it is being reformulated to conform with the IFRA restrictions. This is an excellent case where if I knew that I could acquire the perfume in my sample vial as a full bottle, I'd jump at the chance. Unfortunately, it's always a gamble these days. If I run into a physical bottle somewhere (unlikely to happen, I realize), I'll read the label, and if what is listed is the same (evernia prunastri, not furfuracea), I'll gladly add this perfume to my collection.

PALAIS JAMAIS is refined and subtle, but gorgeous.

jtd
jtd

Palais Jamais should be a mess. Citrus, floral, smoky, herbal, vetiver. Was that rubber? Was it supposed to be leather? Palais Jamais somehow keeps its parts distinct and well behaved. From top to base, PJ maintains an ungainly balance. The elements don't come together---that would be the mess---they just follow their courses. The lighter elements recede, the heavier notes come forward, and PJ's drydown is suggestive of a sharp, dry, smoky tea. PJ manages to suggest dry, wet and burnt simultaneously. Great trick, actually. Always captivates me.

There's something objective in tone about PJ. It doesn't come off as blended or harmonious. It doesn't become a skin scent. It stays put and asks you to approach it, to consider or admire it as you might a piece of abstract art. A successful if oddly modern attitude for such a staid design house like Etro.

CentralPark
CentralPark

Firstly, I do enjoy this scent very much smelling it directly from the bottle. The green smokiness is positively different and unique.
Nevertheless, I cannot wear it. Afterall it remains difficult to make it work well with my skin's natural chemnistry.
The moss and tobacco together render my skin smelling like I had just left a dark and smoke-filled bar on a misty night.

id
id

Like an ashtray left in the rain or something like that for my nose. I've tested it in november. I feel leather plus tobacco and oakmoss with citruses. All this turns into plastic and metallic scent on my skin after a while. It may be called interesting but this scent is not for me.

sistertricked
sistertricked

I tried this on the blotter the other day and did not bring myself to try on skin, as the smell was that of cigarettes, of ashtray. Never had such an experience before. Pardon me for that, maybe it will be different on skin? I will try next time.

francoiseholan
francoiseholan

Descubrí este perfume en invierno y lo probé en mi muñeca. El olor me cautivó al instante al igual que el nombre mágico. Durante mucho tiempo me acompañó y noté que paseando había reacciones a mi alrededor. No tardé mucho en comprar una botella de esta obra maestra. Yo siempre querré visitar el Palacio Jamás..

pmcclure
pmcclure

It's green at the top, but the leather and tobacco smooth that out, then the lovely vetiver keeps it interesting.

This is one of the most interesting scents I've worn. It smells like the morning after a great night -- a little bit of smoke, a hint of suede, maybe a little aftershave on that suede...

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Somewhat smoked yet green-
aromatic jasmine tea with wood. The leather here is quite soft and....not leathery. If this scent were a poetic/musical form, it would be a fugue of a scent. Not necessarily an easy scent, but has the makings of a comfort scent for a deep thinker-
greens, citrus bright, subtle leather,
dry tabacco, and the depth of oakmoss.
Thankfully no charred smoked sausages here-no char, no sausages- and limited smokiness-thank goodness!

guest_Zal
guest_Zal

Love this smell, so fresh and so clean, perfect fits to me.

jeca
jeca

Ha-ha ;o)) For me this is one of the best fragrances by Etro, green and citrus freshness is perfectly combined with woods, moss and leather. Strong and bright.

F_A
F_A

I am sorry to say that, but this fragrance is terrible! It smells like the burnt frying-pan with the remainings of chared smoked sausages..yak...

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Etro Palais Jamais fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Etro Palais Jamais, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Palais Jamais by Etro. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Palais Jamais by Etro represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.