Designers » D E » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

White Shoulders Evyan for women

White Shoulders Evyan for women
dislike

White Shoulders Evyan for women Pictures White Shoulders Evyan for women Pictures

White Shoulders is one of the first fragrances produced by Evyan of New York City. White Shoulders is a classic floral based on aldehydes, white flowers (gardenia, jasmine, tuberose, lily-of-the-valley, lilac, lily and orris) and complex final notes (amber, benzoin, musk, civet and oak moss). The perfume was established in 1943 (1945).

Bergamot Aldehydes Green Notes African Orange flower Peach

iris Jasmine Gardenia Tuberose Lily-of-the-Valley Lilac Lily Spices

Musk Sandalwood Oakmoss Amber Benzoin Civetta

Originale
Scandal

White Shoulders Fragrance Reviews

Vanessa Dunlap

I just had to add another little review. Last year I bought a vintage bottle of White Shoulders cologne, which dates from the 1960s (no later than, I'm sure). It has the gold foil label with "Evyan of New York City" and while the spray mechanism doesn't work, I can twist it off and use it as a splash. Today I decided to wear it, and I'm sitting here purring, enveloped by the softest cloud of lilacs and gardenias. I especially love wearing fragrances from bottles that are literally as old as myself! This smells even better than when I wore it as a teenager in the 1970s. I'd even dare say that White Shoulders improves with age! Wow. If you would like a special treat, locate a vintage bottle of this lovely potion. Still, to this day, nothing on the market smells like it. Nothing.

the_new_esta
the_new_esta

My fiance hated this on me. I don't really like it either, but it's nostalgic because my grandpa bought me a bottle in the 1996.

desdal
desdal

I remember the first time I encountered White Shoulders was on my way home from work walking past the Evyan store on Fifth Avenue and 55th Street in NYC. I was literally swept into the store by the fragrance eminating from within. At the time, I was in my early twenties ---- I floated up to the counter and asked “What is it that smells so good!” There was no sales pitch and I don’t even remember trying it on. I just purchased the bottle I could afford which at the time, for me, was a splurge. Thereafter, White Shoulders was my signature until I discovered China Rain in the mid-80’s. During my affair with White Shoulders, I received so many compliments. It is truly a beautiful scent. Although I haven’t bought a bottle of White Shoulders since then, I’m feeling nostalgic and remembering how beautiful it was. Think I’ll stop by the nearest Walgreens and grab a bottle. ….stay tuned! 
UPDATE: picked this up at Marshalls for $10..... pretty, pretty, pretty!

ricepritchard
ricepritchard

White Shoulders was my maternal grandmother's favorite perfume so I remember it well from childhood. The current Dana formulation smells like the Evyan White Shoulders but is much weaker. However it still has that inimitable smell of a spring flower garden in full bloom on a sunny afternoon. Nothing quite like it. White Shoulders was the first "premium" perfume made in the United States and debuted during WWII when French perfume was impossible to find. I must say from a business standpoint it makes sense for Dana to water down their colognes thus cutting the costs of production and forcing women to use much more of it to get the intended effect boosts sales of the fragrance and improves profit margins. But at least they have not substantially altered the smell! We can all be grateful for that!

Right on point kmrich!

Mistressvoodoodolly

Another one ruined by modernity. This was the first fragrance of my youth. A bit sexy? Maybe, but also sweet and multifaceted. It's been sold a few times but if you get the original by Evyan you won't smell like a CVS. The only decent product that remains is the body powder.

jetstar

I don't know why at least a few of these are not in the base these guys 'Evyan' were huge in the 50s/60s I have listed the various perfumes produced by Evyan of New York City. I am sure there might be more perfumes to be found, if I left one out, let me know.
or if you know anything obout any of these fragrances thanks!
The perfumes of Evyan:
The Baron for men- year unknown
1943 Menace
1958 My Pet
1959 Satin Glide

possession83
possession83

It's so classy. I would never suspect that I can have something that beautiful for such a low price. I bought it out of curiosity, also when it comes to fragrances I have a soft spot for oldies :). The opening is very flowery and sweet, in time it evolves into sensuous spicy musk and it stays that way on my skin. Very complex and unique I've never smelt it on anyone before. Also the bottle is very elegant. My EDC lasts for about 3 hours (longer on clothes and in hair) and then it fades. I wish I could get my hands on EDP, but unfortunately it's not available in Poland, so I will treasure my EDC.

jake.shouse
jake.shouse

Picked up a 2.5 ounce bottle of WS at Burkes in the mall for 8 dollars and I like the smell it does smell like soap but not too soapy I do like it and will try too see how it wears on me it seems very light I don't see how this is HEAVY at all I get that it may be too light like an old love of mine True Love I loved it but it faded too fast I will see what happens and try too wear this wish me luck I hope it wears good.. J.

krmarich
krmarich

I was given a large bottle 4.5 oz. original formula and this is a true floral classic. The bottle has a gold foil label and a twist off cap. I wonder about the history of the house. Did it have any other fragrances?

A magnificent tropical white floral that is perfectly blended. I generally gag on tuberose, yet this is so well harmonized that it only supports the gardenia, lilac and neroli that dominate this beauty. The drydown is amazing with mysterious spices weaving in and out of the amber. There is just enough civet to keep it sexy, yet fresh.

I remember my mother wearing this on vacation in Miami in 1972. Flip flops, big sunglasses, cowry shell necklace on a sundress and straw hat. I will forever hold that image in my mind. White shoulders is stunning.

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

I'm not a huge floral fan, but my mum wore this when I was growing. I remember it as being a heavy one - I saw it at TJMAXX the other day for $10.00 or so for 4oz - into the cart it went. When I got outside, I couldn't wait to smell it - opened it in the car and took a big snort - holy Toledo, big mistake! As if someone had rammed flowers up my schnozzola and down my throat. I actually almost returned it. Later that night, I recalled someone telling me they had applied a rather strong perfume with a cotton ball and it toned it down. So I grabbed a Q-tip and tried it. It worked beautifully. Flowers are still enough to knock you over - so go lightly, and while I won't wear it often, sometimes it's just what I need.

bonnie52
bonnie52

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this beautiful fragrance? It is the epitome of femininity and grace. I have been wearing perfume for 40+ years and this is one of the prettiest florals I have ever smelled. I started wearing it in my 20's and have purchased many bottles. I have noticed some changes in the scent over the years but overall, it is still a masterpiece!

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

Exquisite!

redrapturelove

Its like lilacs on a july breeze at midnight after a trip to cedar point..... or standing in a gazebo in the deep south with honeysuckle and jasmine flowers...
Very feminine and special!!!!

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Lately, I've been craving beautiful florals. Even started a couple of threads here inquiring about great florals, and got many terrific suggestions to try. Well, I was laying in bed last night, and just before I drifted off.... well, hit me in the head with a hammmer! White Shoulders!!! This has been sitting in the back of my perfume cabinet for months! How could anyone ask for a more gorgeous, iconic floral?? Yes, we all love our niche, our vintage, our new fragrances, but... let's never forget our first loves! And this first love is one of the prettiest flower bouquets ever.

Blue wolf

To carolg: to my knowledge an eau de parfum is always more concentrated than a cologne. That's what I learned in Chanel training classes.
In order it should be from weakest to strongest-
cologne
eau de toilette
eau de parfum
perfume

If anyone knows that this has definitively changed to the contrary, please let me know.

Blue wolf

Today I just bought another bottle of White Shoulders. For me, it is an iconic fragrance. Rich, lush, dense, multidimensional floral with a complex base. When I think of the name, I don't think of that photo of the music teacher; I think of a man's warm breath as he runs his face just above and along the skin of my shoulder as he inhales the delicate scent....yum. Doesn't matter that my skin has never been classically 'white.' Women's shoulders were a primary erogenous zone in days when not much else was acceptable to expose in polite company; that's the stuff of those steamy historical romances.
When I take a sniff of the first spray, every time I think of lilacs. Of my first and favorite flower, in the Midwest where those huge white, pale and deep purple bushes are ubiquitous. While no fragrance can duplicate the gorgeous, humid scent of a rainwashed Ohio lilac, White Shoulders comes very close.
For those for whom this scent is repugnant, keep looking. Hopefully there is a fragrance out there somewhere that you will love as much as I cherish this scent.
For me, my little reptilian mid brain is squirming in delight: this perfume is an innocent and inexpensive way to keep that bugger happy.
And a special thanks to those who beautifully and eloquently expressed how offensive the ageist comments can be and why.

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

It is beautiful...you get a gorgeous tropical note sandwiched right between the floral and powdery green notes, that warms it up perfectly. The gardenia is the perfect touch. I sense a hibiscus note right alongside with the gardenia, although it is not listed as a note. Classic and pretty. Can be worn nicely by a teenager or a mature woman. My children love this scent on me. I think of an island girl, a southern belle, a sweet grandma or a young woman making her way in the world. My tastes have changed drastically through the years and I love trying different scents, but this has been a classic for me that I never stray from, I have worn it through 3 decades.

The notes don't show their true colors when smelling it from the bottle; you have to get it on your skin for the beauty of the notes to come out and to appreciate the masterpiece that it is.

artemiss
artemiss

Red clover in the sun. That is what this smells like to me. It will alway make me think of childhood innocence, trying tiny dabs of this on my wrist from my grandmother's antique vanity while playing dress-up. I keep a bottle on hand for when I'm feeling nostalgic.

AlaskaWomanTwo
AlaskaWomanTwo

This was my signature fragrance from about age 16 to 30. I loved the lingering, on me, gardenia and Jasmine, and the long lasting scent that never started smelling odd. I did not like something that was similar, Jungle Gardenia, too loud for me at the time.

I still have a sealed bottle of this, never opened. But one day I just moved on. Discovered a world of scent. But it was my first love, you never forget the first love.

So that was why I tried a spritz a couple of years ago at the perfume counter. Bottle was not the same, designer was not the name I recalled. The perfume had a bigger blast in the beginning, and I did not care for the dry down. But in between, there was that heavenly Jasmine and Gardenia, so much like a young Jean Patou Joy - not quite grown up but oh so sweet and calming.

Maybe it's time to dig that one out and see if it kept.

carolg
carolg

I am in UK and this is my first bottle of WS. It is EDP strength distributed by EA Fragrances NY. I decided to buy it, based on the list Fragrantica make on the left hand side when you read a fragrance review , as i love the fragrances on that list. Once again, even though this is another blind buy using the review and list from Fragrantica, true to form, Fragrantica is spot on the money and i love this fragrance so much !

Strong aldehydes at first spritz, but I did not let that put me off, but my daughter did sneeze, to my great amusement (she will not be sneaking spritzes of it thankfully)

After about 10 minutes a wonderful soft, alluring, comforting fragrance emitted. I really love this one. It is so rare to find this fragrance in the UK that i have ordered another bottle of same.

Is the Cologne strength weaker and is it easily available in the UK does anyone know pls ?

I am reminded of Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir with a hint of Caron's Bellodgia and the soft powderyness of Molinard's Habanita but with out the oversweetness of Habanita.

Thank you Fragrantica, you are a true, reliable friend :)

SheAlwaysSmellsGood
SheAlwaysSmellsGood

I don't remember ever smelling this in the 80s or 90s and have been having a bit of a fragrance nostalgia so I ordered a small .25 oz bottle of this on eBay. It is the Evyan version. At first, I kind of liked it. But then within an hour, my throat became scratchy and it burned my nostrils. It was SO florally sweet that it was causing me to feel ill. I didn't put a lot on, either! Just a dab on each wrist. It just seemed to get stronger and stronger over the hours and didn't come off until I took a shower that night, and even after that I felt like the perfume somehow burned it's memory in my nostrils. Yeah, so I guess you could say I didn't like it. I prefer something with a bit more spice or a deep base.

Boston2013
Boston2013

I was a teen in the 80's and nearly everyone either wore this one or had a sister or friend who did. People just loved this and it had been around for forever even then.

I tried to like this one, many times. But it just smells like old, moldy socks and flowers on me. :) LOL Period. It's too bad, because on the right skin chemistry, it smells quietly beautiful.

LeahJane1972
LeahJane1972

My first bottle of White Shoulders was given to me by my Godfather. From the first time i could smell it, i felt special.
This is the only wau that i like lilac, i suppose because it is balanced with the jasmine, gardenia, and lily of the valley. This is what i get from beginning to end.
Thank you, Goddaddy!

redrapturelove

This fragrance is so beautiful, beachy, southern, romantic sublime, classy and sexy. I feel amazing and ladylike when I wear it. I remember it as a child in the 70s and 80s. It was always so unique and special. Not many fragrances comapare to this unforgettable masterpiece!!!

witchyfelinelove
witchyfelinelove

I love this scent. My grandmother first bought this for me in the early 80s as a little girl. I have come back to it over the years many many times. I have tried different types of scents on me most turn and smell awful but this one doesn't. I am back to wearing it again and this time I don't think I will take a break again.

sweetbarefoot
sweetbarefoot

First, I cannot wear White Shoulders. But my comment here is about my perception of the fragrance on others.
I was strictly Jungle Gardinia all the way, it was all I wore, until they discontinued it.
As a result I am always looking for something close.
Many times I might ask someone what they are wearing, only to hear White Shoulders. On others it smells like my Jungle Gardinia. Unfortunatly on me it smells awful.

all4knowledge
all4knowledge

I bought this as a blind buy on Ebay. Why? Donna's Mom, Midge, told Eric Foreman that this fragrance is what Donna wanted for Christmas. :-)

It's delightful. It seems to me a skillfully blend of numerous floral notes. It's slightly sweet and powdery yet is balanced out by sensuous white flowers.

I'm glad I tried it...it's not overly aggressive, just pleasant and feminine.

Casablancalily
Casablancalily

This is the fragrance my grandmother wore for years. She wore it for so long, she couldn't smell it unless she sprayed on enough to marinate in it. It is a sickening floral. I was surprised it doesn't have magnolia in it(i hate magnolia). Maybe I'm smelling the combination of gardenia and tuberrose or aldehydes. Whatever it is, it literally makes me sick.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

On me you get lilac, jasmine and gardenia, and a soft powdery sort of a note. It's a very soft, feminine smell, young and yet vintage, a timeless classic. I'm 23, and I think this works beautifully with my heavily retro inspired style (I'm an all pencil skirts, all the time kind of a gal).

If I had to come up with one word to describe it I'd say... pretty or perhaps dainty. It's a young woman's scent, but a young woman of another era (in a lovely, nostalgic way) all crinolines and lace and lovely flowers.

I must say I find it enchanting.

jessica.collins
jessica.collins

This was a blind buy for me and unfprtunately, its not my scent. it was too strong and overbearing and gave me an awful headache. Im sure this fragrance depends solely upon ones body chemistry.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

at first i get all the floral notes. gardenia, tuberose, lily of the valley, jasmine and lilac. then i get this pungent scent. i dont know what it is but its weird. im starting to think that the combo of gardenia and tuberose is just not for me. i think its a little overly floral. i kinda imagine a woman in a long flowing dress in a garden wearing this. a blooming garden. and her dress has floral print on it. i think this was my grandmothers favorite perfume, at least that is what my mom says. its nice but its way too white floral for me.

larebe
larebe

I really love White Shoulders, it just isn't "me." It smells wonderful but the perfume just sits on top of my skin. And it's so strange to hear this described as old ladyish...the bright, sweet flowers scream "youth" to me.

scented glass collector
scented glass collector

It smells like an over-powering old lady fragrance to me. My mother had it and I hated it. To me it could be a little less powdery and sweet, it can make you feel like your a cupcake then all of a sudden you get the musky smell yuck. :(

Limpylou

In high school in the middle '70s we all wore it... and I have recently gone crazy on eBay with the original Evyan fragrance formula... there are still some of the old early powder boxes out there with the dark tint on the embossed lid... and they smell terrific. as do the ORIGINAL fragrance bottles. The reformulated Elizabeth Arden formula is not as rich...There is a great Evyan White Shoulders "Satinglide" lotion available out in eBay land as well....If you loved White Shoulders in your past, there is quite a bit available! It is always springtime if you are wearing it!

Sharyl
Sharyl

What a delightfully sweet, guileless, feminine fragrance! I was given the EDT years ago and am not sure what happened to it. At any rate, I wasn't entirely sure it was something I'd want to wear these days, but then I saw the EDP for under $10. A bargain, even if I only wear it to bed.

I think I mainly pick up the lily-of-the-valley and the jasmine. It strikes me as a sweeter and less sophisticated Joy, but is none the worse for it.

When I sprayed it on the other night, the following thought came to me unbidden: "I don't think I could dislike someone who wore this." This was surprising to me because I can occasionally be something of a misanthrope (not proud of it; just stating the facts here). I honestly think this stuff could work as a kind of invisibility cloak for the performance of misdeeds. So, if you're a natural villain and have an evil plan you'd like to put into motion, please wear some White Shoulders and see if it helps you evade detection. Then, report back here and let us know how it went.

abbeyroad68
abbeyroad68

I wear White Diamonds and my mother used to always get me White Shoulders - at least she got one word correct. I'm not a big fan. It is still sitting on my perfume counter but I will spray it now and then just to relive memories of the Christmases that I received this fragrance from my mother who is no longer with us. :(

smoothshoperator
smoothshoperator

I agree with a previous reviewer that I will always associate this with femininity and class not just because that is the way it smells, but because of who wore it, my lovely southern grandma who only wore it on special occasions and church at that. That is exactly the kind of lady I picture when I smell this. Extremely feminine, ladylike, sweet, charming, but always young at heart no matter her age. It is a little too sweet for my tastes, but I always view this as a classic for a lady of class. I could see Anne of Avonlea wearing this fragrance. :-)

Vanessa Dunlap

I sure hope my mother didn't throw away my bottle of this fragrance! It is hopefully still sitting on my dressing table in my childhood bedroom, along with a half used vintage bottle of Shalimar (I need to call my sister and tell her to grab them for me and keep them safe, next time she visits our parents' house, as I live out of state). That bottle of White Shoulders is from the late 1970s. I started wearing it in high school because a very popular girl (who was also very nice, which I appreciated) always wore this, and you knew she was approaching because the White Shoulders would run ahead of her by several feet to announce her presence! After her recommendation, I bought a bottle. Wearing this is like being repeatedly smacked in the face with a big fat gardenia! That was the sensation I'd get whenever I wore it. I didn't wear it every day (I would alternate it with Charlie, and then around the time I went off to college I found Anais Anais); there were only so many days I could tolerate being slapped around by a giant gardenia...from what I remember, it smelled that way on every girl who wore it, that I encountered. I appreciate it as a beautiful, classic fragrance, but now I'd just proudly display it on my vanity, as a memento of my youth; something to look at and smile and reminisce, but not to wear anymore.

IzzyB
IzzyB

So glad to see all the nice reviews of White Shoulders. I started wearing it at 17 and didn't stop until Evyan stopped making it. The dry down wasn't the same after the other company started producing it. I miss the Evyan version and wish it would come back.It had a smell of sweetness that reminded me of yellow plums that grew at my grandmothers house and a pink summer breeze if you can imagine a pinky breeze! Anyone who likes it now I just wish you could have smelled it back in the 70's and 80's. Still haven't found my signature scent. Most Precious was nice too. Whatever happened to Evyan?

coup de foudre
coup de foudre

i've been looking for a signature scent for a long time. i think i've found that in White Shoulders.

although i'm only 23, i'd call myself an old-fashioned girl, obsessed with femininity and romance. that's exactly what White Shoulders conveys. The name says it all; a woman getting ready for a date, sitting in front of her vanity mirror and spraying the perfume on her bared shoulders. lovely!

on me, i definitely smell the white florals mixed with fresh powder and a hint of musk.

for the price, ($12 for .75 oz at Walmart) you really get a great bargain. plus, the bottle looks great sitting on a vanity top, with its clean and simple lines.

in a few words, it's womanly, ladylike, feminine, sophisticated.

i love this scent!

MsDana
MsDana

A classic for a reason! A perfume for a lady of any age, someone who carries herself with grace, never trashy, when I smell this I instantly think of an eloquent and lovely lady.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This is a pure and innocent soft floral. I have only smelled the eau de cologne so my impression is that WS is subtle and quietly fragrant. I would almost be tempted to layer this with a stronger male fragrance; it smells almost unisex. I do not think it smells old-fashioned, just classic.

Jenge
Jenge

White Shoulders was also my mother's signature scent when I was little. It reminds me of all the good things between a mother and little daughter: The hugs, bedtime stories, baking sweets, and dress up clothes. It also reminds me of all the things about her that were so lady-like that I wanted to be. White nightgowns, slips and hose ALWAYS under a dress, manicured nails, good manners, good hair-dos, etc. etc.

I didn't want to wear this because it was so her, and seemed weird to "steal" her signature. However, she hasn't worn this in over 20 years! I bought a bottle of the cologne (didn't realize it was the splash) and tried it. Yes, it still brings back all the memories and feelings of childhood, but I think I can wear this now and make it mine.

It is a lovely, warm, creamy floral. I really smell the gardenia prominently through the whole drydown. It is quite heady at first, but becomes so soft and beautiful. I can sense the lilac, lily of the valley and tuberose, and I guess it's the amber that holds all of those florals at bay. I put a small splash on my wrist and can still smell it nearly 7 hours later.

I won't wear it all the time, but I'm glad it's in my collection!

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Some time ago a certain online perfume seller asked people on Facebook what they would like their perfume to "say" about themselves. Many of the answers that women gave were things like "I'm carefree, flirty, and fresh." In general, answers like that irritate me because women and human beings, in general, are much more complicated and interesting than simply "carefree" or "flirty."
Thank God that at one time women wanted to let their perfumes say more about themselves than itty bitty ditzy banalities. If not, perfumes like L'heure Bleu, Chanel No 5, Habanita, Tabu, or Rochas Femme would have never been created.
Nevertheless, there are times when a "fresh, flirty, and carefree" fragrance is right on and let me say - girls and young women, pay attention - look no further than White Shoulders. Super feminine, sweet enough without being saccharine, and just a really, really pretty scent. That's what I think of when I wear this. Pretty.
I realize that aldehydes are not the "thing" to wear anymore but White Shoulders does not have that metallic edge to it like say, No. 5, Arpege, or Ma Griffe that young women often disparage as "old lady" smelling. This is creamy, floral, and green. Seriously, if Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret were to release this today smelling as is, in a cutesy bottle with a sexy, cutesy name - every girl and woman from ages 12 to 30 would be standing in line for a bottle.
Seriously, put on your nicest sundress, spritz on some White Shoulders; the boys and men will faint and most importantly, you'll feel really amazing.

angelag1970
angelag1970

It was my paternal grandmother's signature fragrance. She was a beautiful Southern lady, and this scent will always be associated with that kind of woman to me. So feminine and sweet without being overpowering.

Terranova0
Terranova0

This has been one of my favorites for many years. Soft, enduring, feminine, it is a spicy yet tender, pleasing and reasonably priced floral that is (imho) perfect for all ages and stages of womanhood. I love their dusting powder box & puff, too-- very nostalgic.

mercuryman73
mercuryman73

I first experienced White Shoulders in 1985 when I was in the seventh grade. The school secretary wore it as her signature scent. Every time I visited the office, I took in the lovely quality of this scent. When I graduated from that school, I never encountered the fragrance again until about a year ago, while I was out with some friends at a restaurant. A lady was sitting at the bar and as I approached to order a drink, I stopped dead in my tracks when, after almost 28 years, my nostrils picked up that familiar scent. I just had to find out who was wearing it. Once I had determined from whom the fragrance was radiating, I approached the woman and said to her, "Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice that you are wearing a beautiful perfume. May I ask you what it is called?" The woman was actually quite flattered and replied, "It's called White Shoulders." I then told her about how I had once smelled it on someone I knew in the past and that my recollection of its scent had remained in my memory for many years. She then reached into her purse, pulled out her bottle of this formidable perfume, and sprayed it on a napkin. That night, I placed the napkin on my bedside table. I couldn't stop holding the napkin to my nose and breathing in the wonderful scent. To me, as a man, White Shoulders captures the very essence of certain qualities I find attractive in women...modest yet confident, ladylike, feminine, traditional, and dainty. I find it to be one of the most heavenly fragrances for a woman--however, it is not for ALL women. First off, it is not a fragrance for a girl of this day and age. It is a "grown-up" scent. I believe it is best suited for a woman between the ages of 35 and 55; and, specifically, a woman whose style has matured beyond objectifying herself. White Shoulders is not for a 40 year old woman who still tries to dress and act like a 25 year old. It is a classic fragrance for a classy lady.

Neurotica
Neurotica

White Shoulders has been my mother's favorite fragrance for as long as I can remember. I'm personally not typically a fan of straight florals, but I don't mind this one. In some scenarios, it's quite pleasant. I imagine it as the epitome of a demure Southern lady.

regnflickan
regnflickan

Strong gardenia. This is the kind of scent I apreciate on others but it doesn´t feel like me. I like my scents a bit warmer. :) I think it is very cool that this scent is still up and running after all these years! That´s a good grade if anything.

Limpylou

I keep thinking about finding a vintage bottle and one of the vintage dusting powder boxes to add to my personal collection (too many!) of fragrance. This was by far my favorite 1960's-1970's to use as a fragrance....the days of my high school memories. It is NOT an old lady fragrance.... eBay has some wonderful items that capture my memory form opening the presents under the Christmas tree in the early 70's; either from my parents or the boyfriend of the year... White Shoulders was always on my Christmas list back then...

maneki_neko
maneki_neko

This is THE white floral, as far as I'm concerned. It is always the very first perfume my memory conjures at the mention of that fragrance category. That big, lovely gardenia at the beginning.

It is, in my mind, an absolutely chaste, but silently proud scent. It is revelling in a spotless reputation, good breeding, and impeccable manners--but somehow, it's not quite high-and-mighty at all. It fails to judge the habits of others. It lives and let lives--but it's gonna live right.

francisrose

I have reviewed this before, but wanted to encourage anyone who wants a spring, summer fragrance that is fresh and feminine to give this a try. I put this on tonight to go out and I could not stop smelling my wrist. No matter what wonderful fragrances I try I am always amazed by the beauty of this perfume. White floral with a lovely tuberose and lilac scent that is soft and powdery. It is ageless and anyone can wear this soft summery scent. White Shoulders is beautiful, feminine and very girly while still maintaining a classic feel that can be worn as a dressy fragrance or a companion to jeans and a crisp white summer shirt and sandals. Oh, it is so lovely!

Littlelime
Littlelime

There is no scent more lovely than White Shoulders to the women of my family. It is a floral filled with gardenias and tuburose that dries down to a soft powdery smell that says I am proud to feel like a girl, no matter what my age. It is classy and feminine, perfect to spray on after a long bath and relax in the scent of white flowers on your skin. Personally I do now want to smell like a dude nor like Strawberry Shortcake... I want to smell like a lady. To all the "smells like an old lady" reviewers... I would rather wear pearls and smell of White Shoulders than reek of what passes for women's perfumes today. I am 58 btw and proud of it!!

dezaval
dezaval

Response to twolmichelle:
I so totally agree with you! It was about time for someone to point these!

twolmichelle
twolmichelle

Here we go again; all the "old lady" references are just plain rude! People should like what they like, period! For those who insist on expressing their limited imaginations and underdeveloped sense of smell in terms of associating age groups and fragrances, I say grow up! I can only hope that if they are lucky enough to reach a ripe old age, they will be made fun of for their fragrance choices. How juvenile and just plain silly. They cannot understand fragrances developed in a time period other than the past five years because they are prejudiced and haven't experienced a wide range of frags.

Now, on to WS. It's a killer scent, extremely romantic, heavy gardenia and white flower beauty. To me, it has a beachy quality, like the original Coppertone suntan lotion scent. It also has a "sunny" feel, warm and fresh, yet fairly intense. It makes me incredibly happy to smell it and has such strong olfactory memories associated with it (YES, IT WAS MY GRANDMOTHER'S SIGNATURE FRAGRANCE!) She was a fantastic woman, at any age. Frankly, I would be proud and happy to wear anything associated with my grandmother. Let's not forget, our grandmothers were young and sexy women. Who's to say they weren't beautiful and sexy OLD women too? To devalue an age group on this blog is just shameful. You are devaluing yourselves in the process. You are young now, will grow into middle age and beyond, so think about how you will react to what you are saying now when you are 60. Why can't you just simply say you like or dislike something due to your personal preferences without insulting women of a different age? It's like, "oh, the horror! I smell like an older, wiser, experienced woman that I am too young to even begin to understand." The age discrimination here just sickens me. I enjoy Fragrantica very much, but if I see one more "old lady" reference by rude young women, I am going to scream. Better yet, I am going to stay away from this website. Or create one where there is respect and harmony for women of all ages without prejudice.

Ah, White Shoulders. I remember sniffing this at Sears as a young girl and thinking it was so pretty. Fast forward to the present and I still think its pretty. I think this is one example of a scent that smells just as good, or dare I say, better, in current formulation than the past. I have compared the current WS this to an older version and they are a bit different. I like this better. This is a lush dense floral, thanks to the gardenia and tuberose, but there is a fair amount of lilac to lighten and sweeten this just a bit. I also can smell the peach in the background. Throughout, there is a green note that contributes just a bit of earthiness. This is a strong floral, so a little goes a long way.

SuperPookie
SuperPookie

There's a reason this is a classic. It's a delicate, beautiful floral that develops a touch of powdery spice in the dry down. It also has the bonus of being appropriate for all seasons & climates.

frugalwitch
frugalwitch

Such a sweet (but not sickening) white floral! I love the gardenia and lily notes. To be used sparingly, too much can be nauseating. When applied lightly it is delightful.

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

Received my Estée Lauder Tuberose Gardenia tonight and spritzed it on my wrist right away.... I loved it so much and it immediately took me back to the three decades I smelled this same scent on my grandmother, great aunts, aunts and mother in the perfume they all wore, White Shoulders. (I was really surprised but also excited by this!) Back then I never liked it and it bothered me that all the great women in my family wore it at the same time. Fast forward to the present... and most of these classy women I adored are now gone. I recently asked my mother for the last of her old bottle of White Shoulders for a keepsake but it had gone bad. So to experience this same scent in Estees version today is a real delight and I find that I love it, although WS is more affordable.

denise.mares
denise.mares

This is my mom's signature scent.

lspreack

I just wanted to add that I finally got the parfume, and OMG this is how perfume should smell. It just blends on my skin my boyfriend said I can't wear anything else and he keeps sniffing my neck. This perfumes makes me weak in the knees. Parfume has no more hint of old lady its pure woman to me! I think I may be physically attracted to perfume, LOL! She's so rich and complex with a slight hint of naughtiness.

I need to get my hands on a vintage bottle now!

Discoball
Discoball

Trying to be open minded and sniff some older fragrances that didn't give a fair try. This fragrance reminds me of a snobby girl at church that was a typical "mean girl". So here I am thinking I might have been biased about this scent. I found a tester at a department store and had a little spray. Oh my, overpowering at first, then excruciating floral sweetness and then pungently putrid. I am so sorry, it didn't get better or the notes more interesting on my skin. It smelled like decay and dead flowers soaking in moldy water. No offense to anyone, but I don't understand the enduring popularity of this fragrance.

lspreack

I bought a bottle today at Wal-Mart of the EDC. I havent worn this perfume for years since I was about 15. I remember that I stopped wearing it because I heard once it was an "old lady" perfume. It was a shame I did that because this perfume plays lovely on my skin and was even back then just blended right with my skin. It is defiently my signature scent and how I think of my personality. Soft feminine but an underlying sexiness. I must love the dry down of the oakmoss and civet. It is true smell of a woman at least on my skin. I think I will go back to wearing White Shoulders. She also plays nice w/ Vivienne Westwood Budoir and VS Very Sexy. Not so w/ DKNY Be Delicious. So happy we are reuntited again.

nastyamason
nastyamason

I grew up in another country and have not smelled WS until I was in my thirties. I ordered it blind (EDP) and while I was waiting on its arrival, I had an opportunity to smell it in EDT version in the store. I was disappointed, thinking that I would not be able to wear this. It was so unpleasant. But when my EDP arrived and I tried it, I realized it was not the same as EDT version. I loved the one I got! Because so many people in US smelled this perfume on their parents or grandparents and associate WS with "old ladies", I only wear it at home. But I love it when I wear it!

jerimoceri
jerimoceri

Generally I dont like heavy floral fumes, especially gardenia, but I found a vintage 5 oz. spray bottle of EDC White Shoulders & wanted to remember how it smelled. Instead of a light spritz, a heavy spray came out of the tall bottle & my wrist was covered w/a powerful jasmine/gardenia scent that went straight up my nose. No cheap drugstore cologne in this bottle; this is the real thing. At first I winced at the strong gardenia smell that lingered in the bathroom for awhile, but after 15-30 minutes it softened on my skin, not yet powdery but not as strong. I think I love it, so feminine yet womanly.

Some new fumes are filled w/so many synthetic chemicals that hit you so hard, its hard to know what its supposed to smell like. This vintage bottle is pure EDC White Shoulders, no chemical smell to it at all. Since it was my mothers I'll wear it occassionaly & think of her.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

My mother wore WS for since I was a little kid, so I know the smell well... she sent me her old bottle from the 80's that had a bit left in there. It was glorious but very strong. I loved it.

So after reading reviews I figured I would be safe to go ahead and get a recent bottle...so I thought. After the initial spray, I kept wondering, why the heck am I smelling piss? I do get the florals, but I also get the worst pee smell ever.

Also, it certainly doesn't smell the same to me in a bottle to bottle comparison, which is a shame. Whatever changed in it, changed for the worse where I'm concerned.

I also get this same nasty pee note on skin with shalimar, so maybe its Jasmin.

Well phooey! Thankfully, I didn't spend too much but will have to search out another vintage somewhere...*sigh*

crikat
crikat

White Shoulders was one of those frags that had certain associations for me, none good but all ancient so when I saw a large bottle at TJ Maxx for $10 I decided to have another try. This time around I caught a bright whiff of gardenia and lilac (which I love), followed by a softer lily-of-the-valley and green notes, all buoyed on a musky cloud shot through with wisps of oakmoss & civet. Plays nicely with my skin chemistry, but doesn't last too terribly long...perhaps because I have the splash & not the spray? In any case, a keeper!

debsauter
debsauter

I only wear this in the (small) perfume version which is nice although not too long lasting. In addition to the lovely white florals, White Shoulders has an unusual, not very pleasant, initial "peppery" note. EDC seems too far removed from the real fragrance.

sjam3295
sjam3295

This scent is not at all what I expected - I find it smells fruity, woody, musky and slightly spicy, not the fresh white floral I was waiting for. I like it, I find it warm and complex, but I don't love it. It also feels faint and not long-lasting.

cleanerchic
cleanerchic

Not Bad picked this up dirt cheap today at Big Lot's for eight dollars. Have not worn it in years. Still a very beautiful scent. Spray lightly it is strong.

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

This is what I was looking for when I smelled/bought Shalimar and Gloria Vanderbilt. :) I put that perfume and this one in the classics category. I didn't like either of those at all.

As soon as I opened the box for the 2.75 oz edp of this one that I got for just $6.99 at an outlet store today, it was love. I really like it on as well. A soft, feminine scent. A relative who is older than me wears this, and it smells heavenly on her. I like it now, too, and am looking forward to wearing it. :) It is the scent of lady like pink if there is such a fragrance.

loismonahan
loismonahan

Just finished a bottle of this and immediately purchased another. Very disappointed! The bottle is frosted instead of plain glass, otherwise the design and colour of the liquid is the same. It now smells like a lot of today's fragrances (if you know what I mean). I hate when this happens - either some of the ingredients become too expensive or the manufacturer decides to try to capture another market.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is such a nostalgic perfume...I think everyone has a memory of a loved one associated with it. My grandmother and I wore this at the same time back in the 80's, and an aunt that I was very close to wore it when it first came out. It is, in my opinion, the most feminine fragrance ever. I love the combination of gardina, lilac, and iris. So powdery and vintage...

I've got to get the original powder and puff and a vintage bottle for my boudoir...

Hellokt
Hellokt

Love it...me, Mom and Nana. Something special in the memories ....

francisrose

White Shoulders is a perfume I have loved for many years and it has never lost it's charm! This fragrance smells very floral with gardenia and tuberose in the forefront. I do love this perfume. It is so light and feminine. If there was ever a perfume that smelled "pink" it would be this one. The old powder container was a work of art with a fluffy pinky peach puff topped with a satin bow. Very lovely.The powder is still available, however the box is not nearly as pretty. No dressing table is complete without this classic perfume.

My mother and I have polar opposite tastes in everything. Any time she likes a perfume, it's something like Aliage, L'Air du Temps, Charlie, or White Shoulders. Although I never refer to any perfumes as being for "old people," I can't help but think any perfume my mom likes probably smells stale and gross. She's not old...but she's also not what I would call modern.

Anyway. White Shoulders was surprisingly fresh. It's not modern (in comparison to the perfume trends of today), but it's not dated either. The lack of intense oakmoss helps it to fool me into thinking it was created post-1989. I get a lovely bouquet of tuberose, lilacs, and green leaves. It's very pleasant! It's a perfectly sunny perfume.

Mom was right about this one. Maybe her tastes aren't so bad after all. She'll be really excited when I tell her how much I like this one, since we never agree on anything.

(To anyone reading this, I am being somewhat sarcastic. I love my mom dearly and respect our differences)

atram79
atram79

This is a cozy scent that is really beautiful, floral (jasmine?) and slightly powdery. Lady-like. I love putting it on after a night-time bath or shower. I have the splash (not spray), a big bottle and it was very reasonable. Although some think this is an old lady scent, I genuinely hope that it sticks around...I'm just over 30 years old and think WS is very feminine and warm. Putting it on is like a hug! That's the best way I can describe it. Not a scent I put on all the time, but will always have it around.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Truly a classic, but even to me at age 58, this one seems to be showing its age. I think it would be lovely on an OLDER WOMAN (than me!). It's just a little too powdery and too much white floral to appeal to me; I would only wear it once in a blue moon. I like it, I appreciate it, but I don't love it. BTW lasts for hours (8 hours and counting).

SandraV

I did an earlier review of the parfum-just wanted to add that I recently tried the cologne.I get more of the green notes with that one than the parfum:just an FYI:)

sunshineandroses

Since you asked, White Shoulders would have been considered sexy in the 1940s when this fragrance was created. These days white shoulders would be a reason to go to the tanning salon and get a tattoo of a butterfly . It reflects the era of the perfume. It has sold well for 60 years under the name White Shoulders and is considered a classic by some. It is known as a perfume that your mother or grandma used to wear.

pattyjm59
pattyjm59

My Mom and sister love this perfume but don't wear it around me because it makes me so sick and dizzy. I HATE this perfume, it makes me so ill that if I am around someone wearing it I have to get up and move away. I love the smell of night blooming jessamine (which is NOT a jasmine as many folks think) at a distance, but some jasmines, especially star jasmine, just choke me. Allergies maybe? I don't know.

K4tr1n4nf
K4tr1n4nf

When I was a kid (maybe 8 or 10?) in the mid-90's, I had a make-up & perfume set for my birthday. As I grew up, I picked the perfumes I like and dumped the rest in the sink (at the time, I thought they were kiddie perfumes and didn't know better). There were two that survived, I used one up for everyday use (it was shaped like the J'adore perfume, but I still don't know what it's called) and kept the other for more formal wear. The latter was this perfume. I was amazed when I learned it was the famous "white Shoulders" perfume recently. I still have the 0.25 bottle and I use it for career interviews. Because of this perfume, I love the smell of jasmine & the warmth of sandalwood. I agree it's for spring & daytime use because of the florals, but I also feel it's too stiff and not whimsical, which is perfect for a professional use or for occasions that require a more serious tone.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

My mom loves this perfume. It smells soft, flowery and feminine on both of us...(too soft for my taste). It's the perfect scent for her as she definitely don't like strong scents. Some of you say that is too strong...I guess our chemistry (me & my mom's) blend nicely with this fume. Very elegant and classy.

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

I've been aware of White Shoulders since I was a teen, and I have never ever gotten any of the base notes listed above! That is really too bad because I love amber, musk and civet. I assume that the scent has been reformulated, however my teen exposure would have been before anything like that was done. Anybody here ever smell the base notes listed?

Loligurl
Loligurl

When I was younger, people would "gift" me this scent constantly. Unfortunately, I have never liked it much. Too sweet-jasmine-powder smelly. The box looks soft, but this perfume is so strong! I'm a southern gal and usually like scents that remind me of home (jasmine) but not in this case. I also tend to smell it on old people, so probably associate it with being geriatric.

amber.carter
amber.carter

My grandma got this for me for Christmas and I'm 13 & I don't exactly like the strongness of it. Two or more sprays are WAY TOO MUCH and make you choke on your breath. I got the 4.5 FL oz. and I haven't even made a dent in it. Secretly, it's the only fragrance I would not wear regularly. To please my grandma, I put it on at night and I've found it gives me pleasant dreams.

cheermom140
cheermom140

My grandmother wore this her whole life until she died at age 93. It brings back a lot of memories. Not a perfume I'd ever wear, but one that I love to smell on other people.

Shydaniels
Shydaniels

I also once asked for White Linen and was given this instead. I tried to like it but it just gave me a headache. It was way too strong and sickly sweet on me. I gave it away.

abcd efgh1
abcd efgh1

I was really disappointed with the smell of this one. It is the second bottle shown among the two pictures of white shoulders...the one with pink liquid and broad golden cap.
It smells awful...more like chameli ka tel(jasmine oil), and it has got an oily feel, and a very strong smell which I was just not able to handle.
It reminds me of a girl from school who used to apply the chameli ka tel....and I felt nauseated after smelling it.
A very bad buy for me...not my kind.

LuvsWhtDiamonds
LuvsWhtDiamonds

I love this classic floral scent. Not too heavy for me and blends well with my body chemistry. Funny how I love more of the fragrances that "old ladies" are supposed to be wearing. I prefer to call them classic scents and I like wearing the classics more than the non classic scents. I hate to see people saying some of these fragrances are "grandma scents."

lemonfreshjoy
lemonfreshjoy

Just as good as I remember. Soft, floral, feminine. Youthful, yet classic. This is my new signature scent.

Friesianfriendly
Friesianfriendly

I have the eau de cologne formulation and it's much lighter and mellower than the perfume. Sweet but never cloying, balanced and charming. Women seem to perceive it differently than men do. Women tend to think it's a nice-girl, tame scent and men think it's so feminine that it's devastating. White Shoulders is the most beautiful economical cologne that I know of. It's never off-putting but it can be quite linear. It layers well with other scents, however. I like to wear it with Coconut oil perfume from The Body Shop. I wouldn't know about it smelling like grandmothers, though. My grandmothers wore Opium and Paloma Picasso!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This review is for the EDP: White Shoulders is one of the most direct floral perfumes I have ever sniffed - the first and most enduring accord conveyed here is of white flowers, and only white flowers. There is no postmodern flourish, no antisocial contrast, no synthetic bombast. Just tuberose, gardenia, jasmine, lily of the valley, and lilac, with emphasis on the jasmine. And man, is it beautiful. The quality is stunning, considering the price of White Shoulders. There are none of the screechy synthetic notes that one sniffs in other drugstore floral perfumes. The jasmine is especially delicate, elegant, and naturally sweet-smelling. The interesting thing about White Shoulders is that its modest composition and naturalistic character make it alluringly feminine, and also brazenly unisex. There's also a hint of antiquity here. I'm reminded of Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette, and can't help but feel that something extremely close to White Shoulders was diluted in her bath water. Sniff-sniff's point regarding the raw sexual potency in this sort of floral magic is well taken, and I would only add that on a warm spring evening in the French countryside, this fragrance would also add significantly to whatever sexual charisma I might possess. Truly timeless, an underrated gem. If only all floral perfumes smelled this good!

sniff-sniff
sniff-sniff

I love smelling this scent on women. An old flame wore it as her signature scent, and it always smelled great on her. I buy it for my wife, even though it's not her "cup of tea", she wears it for me when we're out together.

It can be a bit fierce when first put on, but it settles down into a glorious scent that (pardon me, ladies) makes me rock-hard every time...

Jellybean
Jellybean

floral, sweet, powdery and vintage. it also, has something too strong for my taste; slight cloying factor is present.
maybe I'll give it another try, since there are many wonderfully combined floral notes in here.

xanman
xanman

Application of this evokes a feeling of being outside during a hot summer evening when the air is filled with the most wonderful scents of that season; jasmine, gardenia, warm grass, melds very pleasantly with a hint of something warm (sandalwood?) I even get a hint of suntan lotion. Fresh and sultry at the same time, easy and versatile to wear. One of the longest lasting perfumes(12 hours layered with the lotion!) I have ever encountered and one of the only florals my husband is crazy about. Thank you

nellyluna
nellyluna

This is one of the few scents that I remember hating when I was a teenager. My aunt wore it but she was a chain-smoker and bathed infrequently so that's probably why it smelled so terrible. I should probably give it another chance.

TWebb
TWebb

Another classic fragrance that is unbearable to my nose. Heavy.

Bluegrassgirl
Bluegrassgirl

My Aunt used to get a bottle of this every Christmas back in the 60's. She would let me try it on and when I got old enough to wear perfume, this is the first one I got - the smell still takes me back to great times in my life!

20thcenturyrelic
20thcenturyrelic

Sigh. Love this on other people, but it turns weird on me - kind of sour.

lukkyme
lukkyme

MOM perfume is a theme here :) mine also wore this & hawaiian white ginger anyway its apretty ultra feminine white floral.....white flowers is what it always immediatly brought 2 my mind and for all who say old lady perfume & grandma perfume both of my grandma's in there youth were beautiful enough 2 be movie stars in my opinion & if it's WS. or channel No5 or youthdew by Estee Lauder ....these beautiful woman choose these fragrances & this is why they have REMAINED they are classics for a reason ;) so go pull out pics of your moms & grandma's etc . . when they were 16-30 & remember they was not always a grandma ! also that someday if we are lucky we will be someone's grandma & smellgood doing it LOL

SandraV

White Shoulders is a honeyed tuberose,lilac and lily of the valley to my nose.I don't get any spice and I know the honey scent is coming from the amber.I can see why it has been around so long-it's gorgeous.It's one of the most feminine perfumes I have ever smelled-I just feel so pretty and romantic when I wear it.I adore the bottle-it has such a lovely vintage look:)

@miahreis
What a beautiful story-my condolences for your loss*hug*

astamm62
astamm62

I really like this scent,never smelled this before I've seen the bottle just never smelled it until my mother came home with a big bottle of the splash cologne from a garage sale..It's a plain bottle with a profile of a woman(reminds me of a cameo)But has a beautiful soft floral scent, similar to Tatiana.The look of a bottle can be deceiving,I have smelled horrible scents in very pretty expensive bottles.And some of the nicest scents have been in plain inexpensive bottles.

miahreis
miahreis

I first smelled this perfume on my favorite resident at a nursing home I used to work. She quickly became my adopted great grandmother and every time I hugged her I got a whiff of a sweet, powdery, floral perfume that smelled amazing. I have always been able to tell her my troubles and about life. She always told me, "whatever you say is between you, me and God; and God and I don't tattle!" She's the only one who's ever held my hand, which I'll never forget. I have a bottle on my dressing table usually for nostalgia purposes. She passed away last night, and of course I'm devastated, so I sprayed this on my wrist and have been smelling this while wiping my eyes every three seconds LOL. I love and miss you, Uva! Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful perfume! I'm going to wear this to work tomorrow with the pink sweater you gave me :)

cyndyloublue
cyndyloublue

My Grandmother's signature scent and still loved by me! I wear it when I want to have her energy around me. A very girly vibe indeed!!

puppynose
puppynose

Lovely. My mother let me use hers when I was 11. It still smells the same. I like that it's never sharp and never turns powdery or soapy all the way to the last delicately wafting breath of it. I got samples of Poup'ee today and out of the vial I immediately recognized WS- I put it on and it was like a fraternal twin sister of WS- maybe not identical twin but not just any sister- one who's either a twin or trying really hard to be just like her big sister White Shoulders!

Cutie
Cutie

It was another bargain from TJ Maxx, only $9.99 for 4.5 oz. cologne. I bought it based on the reviews and tried it today before going to work. The first impression, "oh, no, I don't have time to jump back in the shower and wash it off. How can all of these people be so wrong? That will be my first perfume disappointment." So, I decided to brave it, and go to work "as is". Sorry my co-workers, you will have to deal with my experiments. While driving I noticed a beautiful flowery powdery smell and suddenly understood WS. It is not an "old lady" smell. It is a "proper lady" smell. A picture of a warm spring/summer day in a country site from 19th century comes up. Imagine a small wooden house full of kids with a kind lady teacher. She is wearing a modest but very clean dress. WS is her smell. It is not sexy, spicy or demanding attention. It is a smell of a church going lady, mother or teacher. After you brave the first "plastic doll" notes (probably aldehydes) you will be pleasantly surprised by beautiful flowers. The longevity and silage of the perfume are good. I would be wearing it to the doctor's appointments, kids' soccer games or teacher-parent conferences.

sweetmagnolia
sweetmagnolia

White Shoulders is surely one of the great classic fragrances of all time. Its is neither dated or old lady.I wore this in my early 20,s and it made me feel beautiful, feminine, and perhaps grownup but never like an old lady. I find White Shoulders to be one of the most divinely natural smelling florals ever created. This is what I loved the most about it. If I closed my eyes and inhaled, I would swear I was standing in the middle of the most pristine and heavenly flower garden on earth and oooh those aldehydes. (this is also a wonderfuly clean fragrance)
The sent of heavenly flowers and cleanliness. It is highly unlikely that this lovely classic will ever become obsolete.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

This lasts and lasts on me. The sweet, soft florals take on a spicy, carnation note over time, and finally fade to a sweet powder. White Shoulders is a timeless, romantic scent that I love more and more as time goes by.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This is a lovely floral scent, it smells like lillies of the valley and jasmin. One sniff and I was in love. This fragrance reminds me of a super-light version of Joy or Diorissimo, it's sweet and comforting.

White Shoulders is the perfect proof of that something doesn't have to be expensive to be good.

I have a vintage and the new formulation, love them both, The new version is very similar to the old, so I can't understand why people hate so much elizabeth arden version. I know that the original fragrance seems to be more complex but, both version smell great.

White Shoulders 'Arden' cologne stay extremely close to the skin.

Sissi
Sissi

White Shoulders conjours long lost memories and love
long forgotten like a message in a bottle from years
ago collects our treasured feelings and nostalgic
wistfulness; Rose petals lies gently on a alabaster
windowsill basking in the early summer sun glowing
in hues of pale pink and blood red blowing from a
rose garden giving a scent of intoxicating spender
A summer breeze blows though delicate white lace
curtains gives the sweet scent of French lilacs
floats in the air and adds an aura of peace and
tranquility, and Relaxes your Grandmother's white
Persian Kitten after playing with her Antique
pearl necklace.

twillocks
twillocks

My favorite aunt wore this when I was litte. She could wash her clothes and you could still smell it and it smelled great on her. Every time I see it I think about her.

my first love gave me this perfume one year. i loved the jasmine scent,the hint of lily of the valley and amber, the soft blush of warm fragrance as it dried onto my skin. i loved the bottle, putting it on, just everything about this perfume. one of my all time favorite romance scents. a classical winner.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a very sweet floral. Sweet, sweet, sweet and very nice. I really like this scent, I can tolorate some of the really sweet ones and this is one of them, another that I really like is Jessica Mclintocks original perfume too but it has to be summer for me to ware the sweet ones like this.

guest_Benjie
guest_Benjie

The first wear White Shoulders was my older sister way back in the 1960s. Then my other older sister in the 70s until today. The fragrance never changed. It remained the White Shoulders then and now! So sweet, so flowery -- strong,yet so elegant!

Scent-a-holic
Scent-a-holic

This frag still rocks!! For those saying it's "old lady" style umm ok a girl in her tweens bought a bottle right in front of me FOR HER SELF ok. On me this a very strong jasmine fume. Just long lasting and gorgeous. i will be purchasing a couple of bottles of this stuff very soon. It's my next fume goal. I luv lusting after a frag till I aquire it, especially one as beautiful as this. Why oh why do I have this addiction?

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

When I was a girl, I remember smelling White Shoulders on the women who wore it, and I always wanted to someday be able wear it as well as they did. Now that I'm around the same age as those women were, I have sampled the current White Shoulders in the store and was so sorely disappointed, because what I smell from the bottles of today is NOT the same. To me the reformulation smells, well, funky..... a bit like cat wee-wee. I was so sure that this offending scent was not what I remembered from the 70's. So lucky, me I found a vintage bottle. Oh, glorious White Shoulders, THAT is what I remember!!! Like a reviewer before me said, creamy, beautiful white floral. There is something very special about the original version that I just can't explain, it's beautiful, elegant, sweet & creamy, so lady-like.

perfumecollector
perfumecollector

I have never smelled the vintage version and only have the modern one. So I have no comparison point but can only review the modern version. I do like it -but since its strong for my taste, I use it very sparingly - just a couple of sprays. I also use it in a rotation with other fragrances since I don't think I could use it continuously, my nose tires of scents easily, particularly the more potent ones. However, within these parameters, White Shoulders is a perfume that I do actually enjoy quite a bit. There is something in it that draws me, not sure which note it is. I do not associate it with grandma since she never wore this particular scent.

jetstar

first,yea this was my moms perfume;
she wore it amazingly thru her all to short life, she was a white shoulders girl, in the fifties as a teen this was the fragrance she chose as her first and remained true to it! like a modern pink sugar girl she came with all the accoutrement's W/S soap, bath oils parfum, perfume, cologne, powder gosh you name it she had it lol, when she took a bath our house literally smelled like W/S.. that's not a bad thing,people say it smells old ladyish my mom never got to be an old lady so i never tied the two together threw her life she was reminiscent of the beautiful Elizabeth Taylor and the perfume fit her well...that said ,my wife loves florals and this is one of the best from the beautifully delicate pink boxes with the cameos to the elegant bottles filled with this wonderful juice its just so feminine the scent opens big and fresh with very sweet flowers and keeps growing! to us the gardenia scent, i think, is the predominant smell, big flowers hard to tell maybe its the jasmine or lilac? it's so pretty very strong and real long lasting unfortunately being my mothers smell i don't find it ,say,attractive on my wife's neck but i still think its awesome and spray a little around here and there just to reminisce and enjoy, left on moms dresser was a bottle of 'most precious' close to the same bottle and label as white shoulders obviously a sister a little ? sweeter any body remember or know anything about this one? thanks :)

sunshineandroses

I had never tried this because I thought it was something that grandmothers wore. I heard people say they didn't like it and their mother wore it ect. Well, one day I found a vintage bottle and put a little on my wrist. I then understood why it still sells after 60 years on the market. It is a very nice white floral perfume. It's not for me but White Shoulders is a lovely vintage fragrance. If your grandmother does wear this then buy her some more of it.

MrsTefee
MrsTefee

I do like the smell but I wouldn't wear it! I think its definitely something my grandmother would be wearing, so maybe when I'm older : )

I did get the .25 ounce size, what attracted me to it was the bottle I just think its so cute and pretty! I am using the bottle that I filled with my sig scent to keep in my purse, since they don't make a mini for it : )

guest_tourmaline
guest_tourmaline

The modern version smells like a scented sanitary napkin or something, but the vintage....ohhh baby, the vintage that was made by Evyan smells gorgeous! Sweet and oh so creamy jasmine and tuberose that always gets me compliments whenever I've dipped into my vintage bottle. Takes a few minutes to develop after applying but after it's dried down for a moment it is truly stunning. The original White Shoulders by Evyan is definitely in my top white florals of all time, right alongside Fracas and Michael Kors.

kbrown7070
kbrown7070

I wore this for a while in high school and have a small bottle on my dresser even now. My mother never wore perfume but did like White Shoulders. It's very sweet but fresh and clean, and I smell the lily of the valley and lilac the strongest. It keeps a green, soft, damp flowers smell on my skin which I love...reminds of lilacs with dew clinging to them. I used to wear Most Precious in college which is similar, but sharper and less sweet. I can't find that fragrance anymore though...

knics33
knics33

Sassy1, thank you! I hate the "that smells old!" remarks... just not polite. Also, your review is exactly what I was thinking... STRONG white floral with TONS of a nostalgic feel. Whenever I take a dabbling of White Shoulders from my mother's dresser (I need to break down and get my own bottle already lol), I feel so classic and feminine. I am instantly transported to thinking about one of my favorite 1940s classic movies. If strong, "dated" florals are your thing, then you will certainly appreciate White Shoulders. Gives me a good feeling whenever I wear it.

straydogfreedom
straydogfreedom

Reminds me of my Grandma. Not saying that's a bad thing, it just brings back memories of her. Not something I would wear, but when I smell it I remember her.

nyoka
nyoka

I just love this.I have found that I do like aldehydes.Mostly i am an oriential flower girl butt,I keep going back to this when i am bored with others.Its another great one for powdering the sheets.Lasts for days in bed and always makes me smile when i bury my head in the pillow.Not a grandma smell either.

1blondeangel
1blondeangel

Profound White Floral. Not for everyone but from time to time I love to reach for this garden floral. I can pick out each floral it seems: gardenia, jasmine, tuberose, lily-of-the-valley, lilac, lily and orris. White Shoulders is quite strong and definitely not for the weak! It's classic sharp beauty shines thru yet it doesn't weigh you down as the "old granny" smell. A timeless evocative beauty still holding her own.

blaqueskimo
blaqueskimo

Nice oldie but goodie fragrance!

HOPE007
HOPE007

A classic - was given to me by a relative as a teenager (in the 1990's) when I asked for "White Linen" which reminds me of my mom - so I was surprised when I got this... hahaha... at least they got the "White" part right It took me awhile to get used to it, but I actually began to like it - surprise surprise. I have noticed I tend to like aldehydes and this one is no different. A beautiful floral and if you are an aldehyde fan you will like it.

Sassy1
Sassy1

It's a loud and proud floral loaded with lily and gardenia. Not a bad thing, but probably too strong for most. My grandma wore this one and yours probably did too. This may make it too dated (not "old" girls!! I hate that connotation!) for current frag wearers but personally, that doesn't bother me. I love strong florals and this one is a permanent fixture on my dresser. Great to wear in winter when you want to bring back the sun. It's been around since the 40's, so it's a classic worth trying.

Shalimar
Shalimar

This was my very first perfume. It was given to me as a birthday gift in the early 1960's. I loved it then and I love it now. It starts out with a beautiful sweet floral and powdery fragrance but as the dry down begins, the spices take center-stage. White Shoulders is a true classic that has stood the test of time.

White Shoulders by Evyan 3.53 out of 5 based on 456 ratings and 133 user reviews

Cologne 2.75oz
WHITE SHOULDERS for WOMEN by Evyan EAU DE COLOGNE SPRAY 4.5 OZ
WHITE SHOULDERS for WOMEN by Evyan EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.75 OZ
WHITE SHOULDERS for WOMEN by Evyan EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.75 OZ
EDP Mini 4.5oz
WHITE SHOULDERS for WOMEN by Evyan SET-EAU DE COLOGNE SPRAY 4.5 OZ BODY LOTION 3.3 OZ PARFUM .25 OZ MINI
Elizabeth Arden White Shoulders Eau de Cologne Spray, 2.75 fl oz
Elizabeth Arden White Shoulders Eau de Cologne Spray, 2.75 fl oz
White Shoulders Eau de Cologne Spray for Women, 4.5 fl oz
White Shoulders Eau de Cologne Spray for Women, 4.5 fl oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Evyan White Shoulders fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Evyan White Shoulders, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify White Shoulders by Evyan. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of White Shoulders by Evyan represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.