Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Hope Frances Denney for women

Hope Frances Denney for women
dislike

Hope by Frances Denney is an oriental fragrance for women. Hope was launched in 1952.

Woodhue

Hope Fragrance Reviews

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

This review is for vintage Hope.

If have to say so myself, even as a young girl of 12 I had the heart of a perfumista. The first scent of my own that my mother gave me was Frances Denney's HOPE. I loved it and even though I was only a pre-teen, when I first smelled Hope I had that feeling of déjà vu or being transported to some other time, even though I had not yet lived enough life to have experienced any other time or place. As years passed I became more interested in the bottles that perfumes came in than the perfumes themselves, but I still chose "signature scents" along my journey to adulthood that seemed to serve as a kind of budding perfumista rites of passage. After I moved on from Hope there was Bakir, then YSL’s Opium, then Habanita. By then I was in my late teens.

However, even with all of the wonderful fragrances I experienced over the years, Hope was always in the back of my mind, haunting me. I would often think back to the time when, as a young girl I stood on the slate steps in front of my house watching the sun set. I had just applied a bit of Hope to my neck and had caught a whiff of it in the warm, late evening breeze. As years passed I would remember that moment and the sweet floral/Oriental richness of Hope. I often wondered if I ever got the chance to smell it again, would it be as wonderful as I remembered it to be.

Curiosity got the best of me, so last week I searched Ebay for vintage Hope, not wanting to risk being disappointed by one of the many new and possibly reformulated-to-death bottles available all over the internet. What I found was a vintage bottle with a completely glass stopper that contained what remained of ½ an ounce of Hope pure parfum that was dark as tea. Apparently, no one else was interested, so I bid and won. I received the bottle a couple of days later. As I unwrapped it from its 2 inch thick cocoon of bubble and Saran wrap, I could faintly smell it and my heart started pounding as I thought of how I was finally holding the smell of my childhood (and the seed of my perfume obsession) in my hands at the age of 51. When I finally reached the bottle and opened it, I swooned. Hope was better than I remembered and I suddenly realized that I had come full circle because every perfume that I have adored in these many years of perfume collecting (Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, L’Heure Bleue, and many more) was influenced by that first perfume experience.

RkrChk
RkrChk

My small decant of Donna Karan's Wenge arrived today...When I dabbed a little on my left wrist, it immediately took me down memory lane...This olfactory delicacy was indeed the sister of Hope...

Hope is definitely a classic fragrance that is woody, a tad smokey, incensy, spicy, floral and just downright sexy...It must have African wenge wood in it because that's what grabs mah nose as soon as I take a whiff...

It is naughty but nice; spicy and floral, yet intoxicatingly tempting enough to wear either by day or night...

Osusanna
Osusanna

Hope is such a unique fragrance! I wore it in high school and then ordered some recently 15 years later and it's not reformulated at all, it's just as I remembered. A very gentle oriental fragrance with a quiet undertone to it that is soft. I really think of feminine pipe tobacco if there is such a thing. The fragrance stays close to the skin but lasts all day. I smell a bit of floral in with that pipe tobacco. There's nothing else like it that I have found.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

This sounds fabulous ---can anyone describe for me the basic accords? In your memory, was it powdery, amber, cinnamon, sandalwood etc? What is your memory of the drydown? I so admire and appreciate the perfumes of the past and would like absolutely any info you might have.

Update - These additional reviews have been so helpful. Perhaps there is a bottle of Hope in my future after all!!!!

Windy
Windy

I was quite young shopping with my Mother and Sister and found this lovely perfume. I immediately brought it to my Mother's attention. She, too, was enchanted with it's elegant loveliness and purchased it for us. That was many years ago. When I learned it was still available, I ordered a bottle and can report that the years have not changed my appreciation for this under-exposed treasure of a perfume! While many heard of Frances Denney's "Interlude", the softer "Hope" never enjoyed the mass popularity of that time...but, I think it is absolutely a timeless classic.

Kiku
Kiku

An unusual perfume: a quiet oriental. This was sweet and spicy in a subtle, barely there way. Discreet and intimate, it was perfect for moments made just for two.

Cubby
Cubby

Hope has been around for over 50 years and it's truly beautiful. It has a sweetness, but it's not too sweet. Even has a tobacco-like note in it. Nothing else like it, in my opinion. The Frances Denney web site sells many in the Hope and Interlude range at very reasonable prices.

Hope by Frances Denney 4.57 out of 5 based on 17 ratings and 7 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Frances Denney Hope fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Frances Denney Hope, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Hope by Frances Denney. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Hope by Frances Denney represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.