Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle Frederic Malle for women and men

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle Frederic Malle for women and men
dislike

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle by Frederic Malle is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle was launched in 2013. The nose behind this fragrance is Bruno Jovanovic. The fragrance features sandalwood, guaiac wood, tonka bean, vanilla, saffron, jasmine, musk, bergamot, lemon, nutmeg, cloves, patchouli, woody notes and peru balsam.

Sandalwood Guaiac Wood Tonka Bean Vanilla Saffron Jasmine Musk Bergamot Lemon Nutmeg Cloves Patchouli Woody Notes Peru Balsam

Pardon
Palo Santo
Success
Le Feu d'Issey

Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle Fragrance Reviews

tinky
tinky

Zabaglione with saffron and nutmeg. Smells yellow and creamy. For winter.

ring0
ring0

واقعا عطر مزخرفیه
من اولین بار که این بو به بینیم خورد بدون اینکه اسم عطرش رو بدونم تو دلم به یارو گفتم آخه این عطرای دو زاری که فقط عایدش سردرده چیه میزنن به خودشون و چرا یه عطر گرون قیمت نمیخرن که بقیه رو آزار ندن . غافل ازینکه اون بوی چیپ رو برند فردریک مال با قیمتی نزدیک به یک میلیون به مردم میفروشه
بوش شبیه ادکلن های دیگه نیست، نه اینکه خاص باشه ،به این خاطر که اصلا شباهتی به بوی یه عطر نداره
فکر کنم فقط بچه ها این بو رو دوست داشته باشن یا اونا که هیکلشون بزرگ شده ولی هنوز تو عالم رویا و کودکی سیر میکنن.
این یه تلاش ناموفق برای ساختن یه عطر از رایحه خوراکی ها هست
اما یه چیز دیگه ! دوست دارم بدونم زعفران کجای کار هست که اینقدر رای آورده ؟ ما که دیگه عمری با این رایحه زندگی کردیم ، مسلما اگه 500 رایحه جلوی من یکی بزارن اولینش رو که تشخیص میدم همین زعفرانه
نمیدونم این ها که رای میدن بر چه اساس رایحه ها رو بالا میارن ! واقعا میدونن زعفرون چیه یا توسط قوه تخیلشون تصورش کردن ؟

AveParfum
AveParfum

This is a pleasant perfume, but IMHO it's not worthy of its price point. It's a synthetic milky woody vanilla with low sillage. It smells a lot like Wheaties, like when you open a new box and there is the scent of the wheat cereal plus cardboard. This is not oriental at all, mostly woody. I sincerely think it has been reformulated. I purchased a brand-new bottle, and it is nothing like others have described in years past; no spice to be found.

I find Dame's Mexican Vanilla and Carner's Palo Santo to both be in the same vein as Dries, and I'd suggest trying them if you end up finding the sillage of this to be as poor as it is on me. Carner's perfume is more milky, boozy, gourmand and a lot sweeter, so be prepared for that. Dame's vanilla is less woody and you actually can smell the nutmeg that is supposed to be in Dries.

Marissaluvsscents
Marissaluvsscents

Sampling tonight and it's goooooood. Warm, wood, vanilla. It's sexy and alluring. I would love to smell like this everyday. Has a little sandalwood vibe to it too. But still good for the sweet lovers.

AlmalkiJeme
AlmalkiJeme

سأحاول تجربة هذا العطر.. فالمكونات وردة الفعل حوله.. جيده جدا

Whit
Whit

When I was looking at which FM's to sample, this one caught my eye. Just by the note listing, I knew I would love it. After I got my sample and tried it, my gut instinct was right, I love it!

A very woodsy-oriental, kinda dry but smooth and creamy at the same time. What comes to my mind when I smell this is sitting next to my wood burning stove (minus the burnt wood smell), sipping a vanilla latte on a cold winter day, curled up in a warm, cozy blanket. I see where others have commented on it being gourmand and my nose pick up some gourmand nuances, but it's not full on gourmand. I will say that on my skin, saffron gives off a dry vibe, so I think that's where I'm getting that from but the vanilla, sandalwood, and tonka keep it from being too dry and they seem to add a creaminess to it. As others have mentioned, it's not loud, but not soft either. I will say that one might sample this first; it might be too woodsy for some. For me, it's another FM on my want list!

Thank you, Frederic Malle!

iskander
iskander

I absolutely love this fragrance. This is what Serge Lutens "Jeux de Peau" should have smelled like. Almond croissants in the morning with cafe au lait. Perfect for a rainy sunday morning in bed.

shushkin
shushkin

I was so excited to finally try this fragrance. I bought sample direct from F Malle. Its got all my favourite notes so how could i go wrong. I blame the saffron which can be unpredictable on my skin. The saffron, vanilla and sandalwood just dislike each other on me. To say Im gutted is an understatement. Wheres the kulphi? Wheres the sweet spices? Wheres the eggnog?
I get a strange strong medicinal woody smell and thats it. End of!
For goodness sake please test this first. 95% of fragrances stay true to their notes on me so I am baffled.

Edee
Edee

Now how did I know from the notes I would love this. This is not a gourmand, though I do smell vanilla wafers with a glass of eggnog on the side with this. The sandalwood is some of the best I have smelled. The gualac wood on the sideline. It is drop dead gorgeous and sexy. Thank goodness I bought this for myself. I think I would follow behind a man wearing this and get accused of being a stalker. I keep hugging myself and breathing in deep the rich, comforting aroma. No one can accuse me of hitting on myself (smile). My husband and son have been giving me funny looks. when I raise and cross my arms across my chest, then put my wrists up to my nose and moan.

Nathalie xoxo
Nathalie xoxo

Is there something wrong with my sample ??!

So many were talking about this perfume being a gourmand, smelling like vanilla pudding, dessert, cookies, custard, etc. I don't get ANY of those notes. Don't get me wrong, I was not expecting this perfume to smell like Pink Sugar & Co. I read about the notes before buying so I had an idea about what to expect.
Here's what I smell: Cloves (lots of it) and a wet diaper base note, that's all!

It's not a decant, it's a miniature I found on eday. The packaging is well made and looks very legitimate. So what is the problem, the sample? My nose? My skin?
Help!

emily7
emily7

Opening is nice and cozy, mostly about creamy sandalwood/vanilla, with promise of comforting sensuality as in Musc Ravageur, L'air de Rien or even Jeux de Peau. As the rest of the spices kick in, the coziness yields and the high-pitched, bitter note (Peru balsam) and the woody notes take it over to the masculine side.
Too bad for me, but it's quite sexy on a man :)

NicheMaster29
NicheMaster29

This looks yum yum. If anybody has a decant could you please PM me if you don't mind? I feel like i sm really going to like this. I have been saving this house for last, i have yet to smell anything from Malle. Thanks guys!

hedwiginberlin
hedwiginberlin

Smells like milk and almond biscotti. I want to eat it.

Ramy salah
Ramy salah

This perfum has something I didn't find at any other else !! How easy, relaxing, dreaming and suitable to wear anytime ! It is a perfum that easily change ur mode and keep u sniff non stoppable .

P.s: least FM collection in projection. But my best and signature scent

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Spicy and exotic, this is a pungent mix of spices and I pick up an amber note underneath. The resinous note sadly doesn't sit well on my skin.

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

Eggnog! Crème brulee! Custard! All delicious things, all evoked when I sprayed this on my skin. I don't mind smelling like dessert so I think it's fantastic. Nutmeg is definitely an under-used and under-rated spice in perfumery but it's front and center here.

However...I read on some perfume blogs that after that initial burst of top notes, people stop being able to smell this perfume on themselves, even though other people they meet can still smell it on them (i.e. it's like temporary anosmia and not an issue of fragrance longevity). The same thing happened to me after about ten minutes, which was very strange (and disappointing, because I wanted to keep on sniffing this deliciousness). A few hours later, I was able to smell it again on my skin, where it had sublimated into the typical woody-gourmand drydown of vanilla, tonka, and woody notes. Pleasant, yes, but hardly unique. In fact, it smelled quite similar to Tom Ford Noir at that point.

This is another one for my long list of, "If I won the lottery, I would buy this without hesitation because it smells lovely, but for what it is, it doesn't justify the massive price tag." I like it, and it's a deliciously cozy concoction, but it doesn't have as much personality as Malle's Musc Ravageur.

kellylj
kellylj

A warm, cozy scent that I wear in the winter. I got a sample of this when I bought a bottle of Musc Ravageur (also my winter scent). When I use that up, I'll probably buy the Dries Van Noten. It's a warm, creamy, vanilla sandalwood. I'm not even into vanilla in most cases, but this really just settles into my skin in an irresistible way. Lots of compliments, more than with Musc Ravageur. Dudes are very much into it, just like when I wear Carnal Flower in the summer.

Alasse
Alasse

This fragrance is rightly described as "entering a cosy room" and was inspired by the person of clothing designer Dries Van Noten - a personal friend of Frederic.

The scent itself is not challenging yet absolutely unique and very comforting. Notes of Mysore sandalwood and vanilla sprinkled with saffron and nutmeg/citrus notes to lift the fragrance. It vaguely reminds of speculoos - but rather "the process of baking speculoos", taking elements of it - than the actual smell of speculoos cookies. This makes it very sophisticated and a proper perfume - its also pretty long lasting and creates a beautiful scent bubble.

smellydude
smellydude

I love this! This (and French Lover) has become my signature in Winter.
The comments that it lacks sophistication don´t make sense to me.
Not a gourmand at all in my opinion,but a warm and comforting sandalwood.The sandalwood used in this is santalum album.(a special grown sandalwood) is combined with saffron. A slight hint of woods and vanilla in the drydown. Delicious!. Very nice and very masculine perfume from Fredric Malle.

scohn80215
scohn80215

First, the name is misleading. This is Noten for Malle, this is Malle for Noten. It was a tribute to the Belgian designer who inspired Malle and carried his perfumes originally. Second, it reminds me of Noten in terms of the Indian smell (Noten uses a lot of Indian embroidery on his clothes) and also just like Notens clothes its in your face with s bit of sophistication. Third, it's definitely s Malle fragrance but it lacks the sophistication of the others. There isn't much of a burn down and the complexity isn't quite their. I highly recommend this for a cold winter night. It's spicy and warm.

Colettekn
Colettekn

3 year old son always comments on this one "you smell lovely mummy" probably the reason it's my signature, it lends itself well to the body butter, especially in the cold weather, very comforting and easy to wear.

marioslg3
marioslg3

Abrarem without the heavy castorium note...still very nice!

lilalina
lilalina

Alot of cloves.. Dry down smells like suede mixed with saffron, very nice. Still too masculine, and the spicyness is off-putting for me, too strong.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Dries Van Noten, what a beauty...
A gourmand delight with woody, herbal/floral undertones, a hit of citrus and a pleasant touch of animalic musk. Great for night time use due to it's sexiness. The longevity is great and projection is moderate to great. To give your nose a feel: it has a Musc Rava sort of vibe (I'm a sucker for Musc Ravageur). Not many fragrances now at days impress me much but this one right here hits a home run.
I won't say much on this juice, try it out.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Blech...you know, I gave "Dries Van Noten" a good few chances, but I simply must conclude it's a pungent, shrieking mess from start to finish.

The clove, lemon, sandalwood and jasmine are dialed up to an obnoxious degree, and the overwhelming sharpness gives me an instant headache. I feel as though I can taste washing up liquid on the back of my tongue as I type here. Soon after, I become suffocated by the dense, porridge-y under layer of vanilla and tonka bean. The saffron adds a ponderous leather note into the mix, which feels completely out of place, caught awkwardly between the shrieking sharpness and the cloying sweetness.

This is not a harmonious perfume; This is a noisy squabble for attention which leaves me feeling as though I've been hit in the face with a freshly powdered baby diaper full of soap flakes.

In fact the suffocating vanilla and clove reminds me a lot of "Musc Ravageur", which if you liked, you will probably enjoy this. I, however, need to breathe some fresh air.

Erok32
Erok32

The opening of this is absolutely amazing; semi-sweet vanilla, almost gourmandish. The drydown is overly powdery and pungent. It is reminiscent of smelling a baby's diaper. I wanted to love this and almost did...

I can however appreciate the authenticity of the sandalwood/vanilla opening, and I can see this being coveted by some...

snowtree
snowtree

An absolute must for the Holidays. Wore this in the summer at first and although amazing, it didn't quite fit. Fast forward to December. Huge difference. Perfect cold weather scent. Your significant other will want to rip off your sweater and eat you. Guerlain is probably thinking this should've been our scent with its signature vanille.Rivals SDV and Tonka Imperiale. Yes you will smell like a Belgian pastry and you will smell great! Great sillage and longevity, lots of compliments. Easy four out of five stars. If you don't get it at first or second wearing, give it a little time and try it again maybe a year later in the late fall or winter. You'll love it. Another outstanding release from Malle.

sky hype
sky hype

When I sniffed the cap I got a lot of Peru Balsam in the first place. It's just pure Peru Balsam to me. Then when you spray you get a lot of nuances saffron and bergamot in the top, guaiac and sandalwood in the middle. I liked it a lot.

nero77
nero77

A gourmand hymn to sandalwood...

Dries Van Noten is the first in a series of "portraits" by Frédéric Malle of people he admires. In this case, the eponymous Belgian fashion designer. This was actually made as a huge "thank you" note to the designer, who supported Frédéric Malle by selling his fragrances in his store in Antwerp from the very beginning. He also uses an unconventional yet very warm and human touch in terms of fashion style (he famously said he would never make a piece of clothing which could never be sold in a store, so no "haute couture" or "exclusive" collections like most other big fashion labels), and that was also something that Malle admired.

In this creation, Malle's "perfume portrait" of the designer, he took inspiration from the designer's hometown, Antwerp, and the (Flemish) culture of northern Belgium. Essentially, Frédéric Malle here created a sandalwood composition, because sandalwood is warm and inviting when used in perfumes (it's often considered a "second skin" type of scent), and that sandalwood is boosted with vanilla, lots of it, and musk, saffron, jasmine, bergamot and cashmeran, a synthetic molecule which smells like slightly woody, musky human skin (this was used quite a lot in Frédéric Malle's other release Dans Tes Bras, a fragrance which literally translates as "in your arms").

So what do I get from it? Well, to me it comes across as a borderline gourmandish, (very) creamy sandalwood, vanilla, saffron, jasmine, bergamot musk combination. In fact, it has a touch of Shalimar (the jasmine, vanilla & bergamot combination). But to me it's more creamy than Shalimar (it's actually closer to Samsara in my opinion), it's a lot like a pastry. Which makes sense, because Malle also drew inspiration from the sights and smells of Belgium, including it's food. Food such as waffles, crêpes, and biscuits. I find this a very warm and inviting fragrance, the sandalwood here is extremely authentic (Malle lists it as Mysore Sandalwood but it's actually Indian Sandalwood (name: santalum album) grown in Australia). This is not a synthetic sandalwood substitute, this is the real stuff, but obviously enhanced with other synthetic ingredients such as Sacrasol which Malle describes as "an ingredient halfway between sandalwood and vanilla", and ethyl-maltol which is an ingredient used in many gourmand fragrances (ie the "candy" note in Thierry Mugler's Angel).

I think if you like you're scents warm, rich and comforting, you'll like this one. If you like a gourmand twist to fragrances, you'll like this also. It's strong, as in it lasts a long time (8-10 hours on skin, and even lasts weeks on clothes), but it sits very close to the skin after the first 2 hours. But that's a good thing, as the natural sandalwood, musk and vanilla compliments the skin beautifully and really makes it come alive. In my opinion this is a perfect one for cuddling with someone on the sofa by the fire. Perfect in cooler weather, with a wool or cashmere sweater. It's very "comfy" in warm and sexy way.

Some people have labelled this a "safe" fragrance from
Frédéric Malle (who is known for making "unconventional" fragances), but I think this is worth the price alone mainly because of the (very) authentic sandalwood oil concentration, and the way it is used in this perfume (and Malle always uses high concentrations of natural raw ingredients in his perfumes - for example the Vetiver in Vétiver Extraordinaire, or the Tuberose in Carnal Flower). It should be on your list if you live in a place with cool weather as I think this works great on those warm, indoor settings by the fire, with a loved one by your side. I don't see this as a disappointment, I see this as another great creation from Frédéric Malle, this is a gourmand hymn to sandalwood... and I love it!

Perfume2009
Perfume2009

My first review for fragrantica! So, DVN par FM smells like a slice of heaven. A delicious and complex blend of spice, woods, and the most delicious vanilla ever. It's warm, creamy, and comforting without being heavy. Cozy and smells so good. I ordered the 30ml travel size but the SA talked me into getting the 50ml; honestly i wish i got the 100ml.

rossyegio5
rossyegio5

Un sandalo vellutato complesso, originale, moderno, cremoso ma speziato, legnoso ma lievissimamente fiorito, sexy, elegante, raffinatissimo. Per me il rischio dei profumi al sandalo è la sensazione monotematica piatta, cioè sentire legno aromatico e bon. Il Dries ha invece una bellissima evoluzione, un'armonia di note che crea un unicum perfetto. Le spezie sono ben presenti ma ammorbidite da vaniglia e gelsomino.
Esiste anche il body butter.

Aggiungo un appunto sull'evoluzione : dopo una splendida presentazione speziata, il sandalo perde vigore e si liquifica in crema. La vaniglia prende il sopravvento e Dries Van Noten si trasforma in Musc Ravageur.
Temo che il mio amore per questo profumo (che resta eccellente) si sia molto ridimensionato, ahimè, causa deriva vanigliosissima...

CeceliaHuynh
CeceliaHuynh

This is a gorgeous, minimalist scent. Some men may consider it a bit sweet but it is very original and spare. Not at all cloying and warm in its drydown.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

A gorgeous woody vanilla scent. I'm in complete agreement with all the other reveiws here that say that Dries Van Noten is a delicious fragrance.

The sandalwood is beautifully presented with warmth and in combination with the spices, is creamy and delightful. It has a decidedly Oriental feel, like tapioca pudding, the real stuff that our Asian moms used to make from scratch, not the fake packaged dessert. Gently stewed with love and warmth, filling the room with a cozy rapture.

Tonka adds a gorgeous, smoky honeyed wood accord; I think the combination of saffron, soft patchouli, nutmeg and gentle lemon really set this vanilla apart from other fragrances in its category--not too sweet, not too heavy, but well anchored with a dry feel.

I believe that Dries Van Noten is one of the most complex and best vanilla fragrances that I've experienced. A must try for woody vanilla lovers.

aletheaborealis
aletheaborealis

Extremely edible but in such an unconventional, rustic way. This scent is milky sandalwood oil poured over vanilla bean crème brûlée and saffron strands flavoured with sugared lemon peel, clove buds and dried jasmine petals, served on an old wooden table alongside wildflowers. It's absolutely delicious and so versatile, it would feel at ease on a soft cashmere sweater, cuddling on a couch yet a spray of this would inject confidence that would dominate any business setting and everywhere in between.

Not many scents can lay claim to that versatility nowadays so this quirky woody vanilla fragrance is definitely one you need to try and fall in love with. But please don't eat yourself :)

becuille
becuille

This is a yummy, warming, calming fragrance. If you're a tonka bean lover like me, you can get your fill here. The vanilla is done brilliantly - not too sweet or too cloying.

The woody notes here are pretty subtle on me. I see this as more of a gourmand fragrance than a woody one. There's a lot going on and all of it is lovely. It's one of the least linear scents I've ever tried - something new seems to happen every 20 minutes or so.

But... longevity is very poor. I got about 3 hours out of it and it was fading towards the end of even that. This is the third Frederic Malle fragrance I've tried that's made me go "I'd love a full bottle of this if only it lasted longer".

I've been noticing this issue with more and more niche perfumes and it's frustrating. At these prices, I feel the customer should be offered a bit more bang for their buck. I don't mind spending more on a quality fragrance - and I often do - but this sort of money for something that needs constantly resprayed and runs out very fast just seems like a bit of a rip off to me.

The fragrance itself is absolutely gorgeous. A warm, woody gourmand with layers of beautiful complexity. But terrible longevity. Shame.

alexborderie
alexborderie

This scent is warm and enchanting. When I wear it, it makes me feel as if I'm the only one in the world with a guardian spirit hugging me at all times. The vanilla is definite and the scent smells of warm skin after rolling around under a comforter all night. I really like this when its a dark and cold winter morning or on a dark cold winter night while pub hopping with my friends.

One girl said that I smelled "scrumptious" while wearing it. I wore it with a big fuzzy grey wool knit sweater and she couldn't stop hugging me.

alberto1964
alberto1964

Light as a feather, be inconsistent as air, ananonymous breeze. By Frederic Malle I expect a lot more. Malle has made masterpieces ... this is not.

jhitt793
jhitt793

Warm, sensual, and exotic sandalwood becomes the central focus of Frederic Malle's "Dries Van Noten". The opening is heavily medicinal, with a strong oud-like presence thanks to guaic wood and saffron. Other middle eastern spices intermingle here, most noticeably nutmeg and clove. Balsamic notes of vanilla and Peru balsam are beautifully resinous and highlight the warmer facets of sandalwood. The indolic white jasmine as well as the said included citrus notes (lemon and bergamot) are only barely perceivable in the opening, being overpowered by the woody/spicy notes. Leans more masculine, being a great choice for someone who loves exotic Oriental scents. (117)

blaiseantoine
blaiseantoine

maybe i didnt understand this frag the first time i wear ,but now i have to say that i honestly like it a lot is indeed a quite well crafted perfume soft and warm in the same time ,creamy and balsamic woody vanilla i would put this one as middle element between shalimar and musc ravageur .
thumbs up for this

7.5/10

Art2112
Art2112

Wow, extremely well crafted Vanilla musk here, it smells very similar to Vanilla Pudding (as mentioned below)for the first 20-30 minutes...then it becomes more musky in a very nice way although a light VP scent remains....slightly gourmandish... I'm not disappointed by it in any way. It can easily be worn by both men and women at work or for going out at night. However, I should add that it's not a workout/gym kind of scent to me...It's much to complex for that! If you have a physical,sweaty type of job, this one will increase in sillage and aroma quite a bit. Go with one strong spray if so!

10 times better than Musc Ravageur in my opinion.

Scent 8~10
Longevity 8~10
Sillage 7~10

spirit966
spirit966

I am very pleasantly surprised. I thought this would be a ho hum release but woah! It is one of the most comforting scents I have smelt.

It smells of saffron infused eggnog with vanilla essence. Initial spray, it goes straight to mid and basenotes. The mysore is there, but I don't think its a selling point and I'll call this more of a gourmand.

Its not groundbreaking or revolutionary. But I have'nt smelt such a natural and comforting scent in a while.

(and by the way, I have on my wrist the entire MFK Oud line, so this speaks volumes!)

Germany
Germany

Dries van Noten, is an easy to wear , easy to love , comforting sandalwood - vanilla scent.
It smells like a "sugar cookie "with a hint of nutmeg and lemon glaze.Its a vanilla woody gourmand .
Great for everyday wear, casual with a certain elegance.
Like Christianne said in her review it also smells of vanilla custard , vanilla pudding or creme brûlée. I can really smell the middle notes of lemon and Bergamotte. I am surprised that not too many people have mentioned that. I believe it is what makes this composition slightly sour. Its nice though, gives it a twist.

Cereza
Cereza

I had a very negative reaction to DRIES VAN NOTEN.
If one looks at the notes, it is only normal to expect a warm woody scent with modest dose of spices, I also expected that from reviews. I actually thought that I will love it, I seem to enjoy sandalwood and dry scents in general.

But DRIES VAN NOTEN evolves far from the sandalwood - vanilla - spices goodness I hoped for. It gets to what I love only after 5 hours of torture.

For the first hours I can sense only tonka bean and musk, doses of it, very boozy and cloying tonka with moth ball musk overload. Oh and wait - there is also saffron, which seems disgusting here (no idea why).

I almost scrubbed it off, but decided to keep it on my wrist as the silage wasn't too much, so I could easily avoid the scent. So after the five hours I was finally approaches by a nicely sweet and woody dry down.

lisa o
lisa o

I didn't even think that I wanted the sample I was offered when I tried it at the counter. I sprayed some of it on the samples box. could only smell this flat vanilla thing (that often appears in "light" vanillas (heliotropin and violet/iris molecules maybe) and next, a sharp dentist-like smell (citrus, safran, tonka) caused immediate turn-away.

a day after, something delicious wafts around me. sniffing, it took me some time to realize that it was the samplebox of "dries" in my drawer. oh...how different than yesterday!
I didn't find anything disturbing any more...it has also been a colder day...
the opening is a quite sharp&flat lemon+safran combo of which the lemon quickly fades and the tonka grows...safran stays the whole way through it gets deeper, after some hours it kind of "opens up" and dry spices add themselves and jasmin lends it a floral part. and it doesn't end up in a sweet musky-smoky vanilla base that is so typical for many gourmands but leaves you with delicate traces of patchouli.
ok, it is still a sweet perfume, but it has personality, class and never gets boring through its different stages. maybe not 100% original, more cosy and familiar (give it some time!) but even worth trying for people who weren't excited by the notes...like me:-)
again a malle, that I'd really like to add as a FB.

ps.: having some beautiful dries van noten pieces, I find it's not very much recalling van noten-designs...I would have imagined something with strong incense or something wickedly spicy, but, oh well, I wear it with my snuggly westwood silk pants.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

At last a fragrance with no pear, no cassia and not white musk. I love this - it opens with delicious saffron spices and is a wonderful warming fragrance. I would say perfect for autumn and winter. The sillage is good and longebity excellent. After a couple of hours it had softened on my skin and became a creme brulee that was saved from being tame by the nutmeg and saffron still giving it depth. The first fragrance in a while that I have thought - Yes, I want to wear this.

christianne1
christianne1

Good grief, this is like something that fell out of the freaking sky wearing wings. It smells like "snow cream" that we made when I was a child out of fresh snow, vanilla, sugar and milk...with a little nutmeg and other stuff thrown in there. It is seriously delicious....heavenly...smells unbelievably good. It smells NOTHING like I was expecting with a name that sounds like an action hero. All along, I have been thinking Dries Van Noten would be a strong manly scent and it is nothing of the sort.

The notes are blended in there so well it is really hard for me to pick them out. But if I stop and think about it, I can smell the jasmine very clearly. Yes, there is jasmine in my snow cream. Of course the sandalwood is unmistakable...and this is dream sandalwood. Tonka always makes me happy and I get my tonka fix as well. Got a bit of musk which always makes anything better in my opinion.

But it has an overall custard like scent...like everything is wrapped in warm vanilla pudding. Not fake vanilla pudding from a box...real, cooked on top of the stove in a double boiler vanilla pudding.

This is 100% full bottle worthy and I know what I will be asking for for Christmas if I can wait that long. :)

ssherices
ssherices

Gosh! I love this! This scent makes me melt! I need a full bottle!

Caramelle
Caramelle

I have many favourites from the Malle line and Une Fleur de Cassie is one of my top three perfumes.Life shouldn't be always serious,so I have a soft spot for gourmands,too.
I needed to try this as soon as possible even though I had no idea who Dries van Noten was.
However this is not a real gourmand fragrance. It is too woody to be "edible". I would describe it as a woody oriental with some sweetness and spice.The top notes are the only fleeting gourmand moments about it with a little touch of peanut,spice and vanilla.The heart and drydown are centering around woody notes with the late drydown becoming very woody and cedary.

Dries van Noten is a grown-up gourmand which is comforting but sophisticated and can be worn to any occasion for business or private.
It's a unique fragrance and I can't say it smells like any other perfume I have smelled.

5 stars from me and of course, it's full bottle worthy !

Wise-222
Wise-222

very complex and close from the heart, warm and
classy, good for fall and winter, keep going Fredric
nice job.

cumberry
cumberry

I do really like it, it's this soft comfortable warm vanilla scent. However, it does seem to be missing something. It's simple and sweet and I'd love there to be someone darker, or perhs a little bitter in there. I'm still undecided.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Warm milk. Kulfi Saffron ice cream, sweet, honey milk, gentle soft sandalwood as i remember it pre-1979, when sandalwood smelled good. Makes me think of my children when they were newborn, soft and gentle baby breath, warm, angora soft and lovely. Also a gentle scent of my mother's home made rice pudding, milk, nutmeg and a scattering of sultanas. There's a deep memory of a patisserie in Perpignan where I partook of something custardy and delightful. Some of the best fragrances evoke emotional responses, and this fragrance evokes many. All of them wrapped in pure love and comfort. The residual tail end of Dries Van Noten, 12 hours after application, uncannily resembled the first spray of Avon's Far Away on my skin, but who expects 12 hours peak performance from a perfume anyway and between application and then, it is just wonderful. I did apply a couple of sprays before bedtime in the bathroom, and when I went back into the bathroom the next morning, the scent was still in there, strong, and unchanged, so it's my skin that changes it. Liberally dousing myself with this on a late summer/early autumn day in England was probably something of a mistake. Every hungry, drunken wasp in the county made a bee line for my delicious, sweet scent. Stop press; my adult daughter hugged me today and said; "mum, something you've got on smells of grandma". I was on the right track then. It's lovely, it evokes love and tenderness, and that's all I need to know.

halloween27
halloween27

In the US Vogue March 2013 issue (Beyonce covers), there is an article on this perfume on page 466. It is described as having nutty sandalwood, balsalm, vanilla, saffron, lemon, and Belgian waffles!

(Malle suggests he's interested in a collaboration with Julianne Moore and Cate Blanchett, as well.)

Frunkinator
Frunkinator

First impressions based on sampling in the NYC boutique pre-release:

I like it, it's very interesting. Not note heavy or in your face by any means. But not shy either. It seems very well-rounded right away. The initial top note gives you the spices. I get the cloves and an earthy Vetiver like note. A reminiscent blend of French Lover and something else. I smell fresh citrus. I believe there is some bergamot in here but I'm not getting that. I'm getting more of a cleaner lemon fresh top note. It's also starting to change and evolve right away. At the same time I'm getting a powdery iris type base. But it's not feminine powdery it's spicy sweet masculine powdery. It's also very round feeling from the sandalwood.
It's allowing it to not dry out is keeping the whole thing togethers as the notes play off of eachother.
Not one note is more powerful then another, but you CAN pick them out individually.
It has a pleasant sweetness in the mid notes, defineteley a beautiful use of vanilla and maybe a small dash of rose..? There is Just enough to balance the nutmeg. Not super feminine and absolutely unisex. So far I'm enjoying it.
It's unique for a Malle, but still has traces of his signature DNA.
I like it. And may even love it by the end of the days full wearing ;)
This is my second favorite next to L'eau D'Hiver in the entire boutique.

It's a must try by everyone at the very least.
Prices are:
50ml= $185
100ml= $265
As per the boutique rep- Travel sizes to be released.

velb95
velb95

EN
I've just bought it. It's a lot of saffron in the top of the pyramid of this fragrance. Then it gets the sweet woody context, warm and luxury. Feels like a Big Saffron brother of Oud of Francis Kurkdjian and I love both of them.

IT
L'ho appena comprato. C'è un sacco di zafferano nella parte superiore della piramide olfativa di questo profumo. Poi si aggiunge un contesto dolce e un po' legnoso, lussoso e caldo. Sembra un fratello grande di Oud di Francis Kurkdjian ed io li adoro entrambi.