Designers » F-H » Floral Green « Groups

En Passant Frederic Malle for women
dislike

ozonic
En Passant Frederic Malle for women Pictures

A beautiful spring garden, a moment of absolute happiness (“En passant” is French for “passing through”) served as an inspiration for Olivia Giacobetti to create this simple and tender composition from Frederic Malle’s favorite (according to interview) flower – lilac, surrounded by watery and green notes, cucumber and wheat. The concentration of this fragrance is 12%, volume 50, 100 ml package of 10 ml x 3. It was launched in 2000.

Cucumber Lilac Wheat Watery Notes Petitgrain

Paradis Paradis

En Passant Fragrance Reviews

hedwiginberlin
hedwiginberlin

I have never smelled a lilac in real life. But this perfume reminds me both of the dewy green/white smell of fresh lilies, and the soft pollen of mimosas. It's lovely and rather simple. Being a rather green, wet floral, I feel it would be nicer for warm weather.

nada
nada

I like lilac in this but base is awful... Basically you known it's not going to be good when cucumber and water are listed as notes

scythe
scythe

definitely a perfume more suited to a lady who would be comfortable in a white cotton shift dress and natural nails and hair...basically the opposite of me. I have Portrait Of A Lady on my other hand and it suits me much better.

edit* After a couple of hours this reminded me of Olympic Orchids Sakura, another beautiful scent which is ill suited to my personal style.

Missisjoker
Missisjoker

It is a wonderful lilac perfume. On me, the most prominent note in the beginning is the lilac, which is very close to the natural scent, and a "green" note- like a smell of fresh grass or leaves if you rub them between your fingers. There are also hints of other flowers, but they are barely noticeable. After a while the lilac starts to weaken and the scent becomes mostly sharp green with a touch of flowers in it. I'm not getting any "wheat" though...Again ,the smell is amazing, unfortunately, the sillage is very poor (I have to rub my nose on my skin to get anything) unless you dunk yourself in a bucket of it- which, considering the pricey tag is not a good idea.

dlane1953
dlane1953

A truly authentic take on lilac that is soft and romantic. Sheer and lilting, I think it's the finest lilac I've ever sniffed in perfume form.
The notes are lilac, cucumber, wheat, watery notes, petitgrain. The cucumber adds a crisp greeness and the grassy notes a touch of earthiness. Silage is moderate, longevity--well, to be determined. I've been wearing for 4 hours and it's still going strong. Many thanks to Mara Rothman for the generous sample.
UPDATE on longevity; over 10 hours and still going..

Cauda Pavonis
Cauda Pavonis

Cool, sweet, powdery opening. Lilac. This is definitely a fresh/ozonic fragrance. A pure, clean lilac but with a mustiness in the background that only adds to the naturalness. Very low sillage - almost disappears to nothing within a hour or two after which it lingers as a skinscent - but it's so beautiful that I don't even care. A cool, early spring scent. There's not much I can think of to say about it but that's not because it's not a great perfume but because it's so simple; simple and lovely.

Xango
Xango

En Passant is absolute perfection in a bottle and wonderful for spring and early summer. In AZ, though, I think it would get stifling in the 100+ degree weather of anything between late May and through October. It smells like a bouquet of fresh cut lilacs in water, or as if you passed a lilac shrub after a cool rainshower.

The wheat-y/bread-y smell doesn't come through on me at all, just flowers and green and cucumber. I can get a good couple of hours out of this fragrance, though it's very strong for the first hour or so. It also radiates like crazy.

iman_hamishe_payiz
iman_hamishe_payiz

En Passant Incarnated

A lean feminine figure, In comfortable not so sporty pale color clothes, with little to no make-up, she is aerial and speaks the sound of silence. Relaxed and composed, she is passing you by.

The most beautiful feminine floral smell besides Carnal Flower IMHO

Review from a guy

AngeletV
AngeletV

Love love love. Clean, beautiful, sophisticated.

OVincze
OVincze

This is not a creation that most get right away but it is a masterpiece of sophistication, whispers, dreams, illusions and mystery with darkness and depth as well as animalic sensuality added to its supposed springlike soft and quiet beauty which it most definitely is not but to understand this magnificent creation you have to try it several times in my opinion. I did not like it at all when I first sampled it. But I do love lilacs even if not necessarily on me until now because many times lilacs were used in oldish smelling perfumes. The lightness and wet crispiness added to this gorgeous soliflore as well as the green notes take away any old lady vibes from this perfume but instead take you into a world of impressionism and surreal paintings. It is a wonderful journey this scent evokes you to go through. On me it is very animalic and sensual which most have not noted but the musk in the drydown is prominent on my skin. I absolutely love this and bought a full bottle. I wanted a springtime perfume which is not too heady yet this is not light either and the animal touch which is almost skinscent like really adds to how sexual this perfume is which I never first suspected. This is not for a simple woman, this is for someone with a lot of complexity, who is sophisticated in style but sensual as well, not to be worn with jeans and shorts but with a black dress and red lipstick. It also definitely makes you think of arts and thus is for an artistic person. It is a very unique fragrance, not something you will smell on many other people.

Jez
Jez

Wow!!! what a price tag! I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to own this, when even a 5 ml sample costs $30. Must be heavenly!

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

When I first tried my sample of this, I was sure they filled the vial with water...that's all I got, Nothing.
The next morning, with my nose fresh and clear from slumber, I gave it another try...
Oh my. It has been some time since perfume has touched me so deeply, right straight to my heartstrings. En Passant truly is something out of a dream, soft as a whisper, a personal dream for you only. It's one of those ethereal moments where your walking in the early morning hours, just before dawn, and it's the morning after a soft rainfall. You come upon a path of lilacs, fresh and dewy wet. A dense fog is settled in, making everything that much more surreal. Sunlight begins to filter through the fog turning everything into the softest periwinkle lilac shade of purple...a powdery purple.
A heartbreakingly beautiful delicate, dreamy, ladylike lilac that has made me fall in love whether I like it or not...I must have it.
It surrounds you in a delicate cloud of soft purple lilac dreams. This is one of those scents I want to wear just for me, a special moment, like reading a favorite book, watching one of my favorite old black and whites with a fine wine, having a favorite cup of tea, things close to my heart. Special moments. Lilacs are usually blooming in abundance around my birthday at the beginning of May, so I have always considered them a flower close to my heart.
En Passant will definitely be on the top of my birthday wishlist...
Feminine, Gorgeous...
I am sitting here wearing this listening to Edvard Grieg's" Last Spring " and it truly is music for the soul...
A masterpiece indeed

meysam vazifeh
meysam vazifeh

بعضی عطرها خاطرات رو برامون زنده میکنند
حالا اگر این خاطره از نوع شیرینش باشه
واقعا مقاومت کردن در برابرش خیــــلی سخته

این عطر با یه بوی فوق العاده با کیفیت و بی نهایت خوشبوی یاسمین شروع میشه همین رایحه منو مجاب میکنه بخرمش

این گل ها در باغچه خونه مادر بزرگم همیشه هست و من دوران کودکیم رو در حیاطش زیاد بوش رو استشمام میکردم
یادش بخیر

در کنار بوی غالب یاسمین نت خیار بسیار ملایم حس خواهد شد
شبیه حالتی که در عطر شاهکار هی وود شاهدش بودیم که این نوع رایحه خیارش به وسیله گل بنفشه ایجاد شده بود

در ادامه رایحه گندم ! به عطر اضافه میشه که تقریبا نت نهایی عطرو تشکیل میده یه حالت خاصی رو به وجود میاره که قادر به توصیفش نیستم چون بوی گندم میده :| بوی گندم رو چطوری میشه توصیف کرد >؟

در کل این 3 رایحه با هم دیگه یه عطر بسیار ملایم ، تمیز ، و آرام بخشی رو به وجود میارند
شیرینی عطر خیلی خلی ملایم هست شاید 50 درصد از شیرین هی وود رو همراهش داره

در عطرهای فردریک ماله کیفیت و تازگی نقش اصلی رو ایفا میکنند . اصلا هم بوی خاصی ندارند . خیالتون راحت

اگر برای دل خوذتون میخواهید عطر بخرید تا به آرامش برسید توصیه میکنم تستشون کنید
ولی دنبال پخش و ماندگاری و بوی خاص و . . . هستید دور خیلی از کارای این برند رو باید خط بکشید

در آخر هم یک اعتراف باید بکنم که من هم به بلاخره با 100 جور مقاومت نتونستم جلوی خودم رو بگیرم و این عطر زنانه رو استفاده خواهم کرد :دی

genericjanedoe
genericjanedoe

An early promise fulfilled with the initial strong and heady hit of "wet" lilac, like someone has just swiped their hand across a bed of dewy and newly opened flowers. It is achingly lovely, and so evocative of early spring.

But like that bright and shimmering period between the last snows and the early hesitant buds, it hits the skin and is gone within a few hours - far too soon. Heart notes dry down to a sweet powdery floral which, with very little sillage, quickly evaporates to an almost soap-like and barely-there essence on the skin.

I'm giving it a thumbs up, but it only just scraped it because of its initial gorgeous beauty. However at £100 for a 50ml EDP, it isn't worth the money, no matter how sublime those top notes are.

gelo999
gelo999

It seems to me that Olivia Giacobetti wanted to create a soliflore white lilac as if it were a simple agreement, beautiful as when in a moment you can smell lilac by a gust of wind, so it feels soft but very persistent.

Start by aquatic and sea cucumber notes, feels fresh, watery and very natural lilac, evolving to a more vaporous dry lilac, but always lingering in that the soliflore minimal and simple concept.

This gives me a bright purple, serene, innocent and above all very touching concept.

En Passant is pure sophistication.

Rating: 8

oktober
oktober

I'm not too "at home" with any of Olivia Giacobetti's creations, so it might really be my general indifference towards her style. I'm not impressed by this either. Unfortunately. I still keep one 10ml bottle, sold the other 2... I'm dissapointed, but still kinda hope to see the amazing beauty that others see in this fume :(
I'm a fan of lilac in perfumes.I bought this blindly hoping for something worth the price, something in the lines of those raving reviews. I honestly totally looked over the cucumber note when I read abt it, hoping it will be well blended in, but... not really. It reminds me a bit of DKNY fumes...

The top notes are great, almost entirely very natural lilac with just a tiny hint of neroli. But that only lasta about an hour. Than cucumber creeps out, and bread. Bread like in Mitsouko, base notes, which I hate. Is this suposed to be an aspect of lilac perfumes, the bread, cause the bread in Mitsouko is supposedly from Guerlinade, another lilac fume used as base for some guerlains. I get the bread note in Idylle Jasmin-Lilas too.

So, the neroli gets more mingled with the otherwise fine lilac. Than cucumber comes along a lot, than bread, like fresh bread, all over! I might have a problem with this note...

Albin
Albin

A couple of days ago, I went almost in tears re-testing it on paper, it's really hard to describe how I feel with this perfume. Astonishingly beautiful.

Jettamine
Jettamine

En Passant is an extraordinary lilac perfume. I gravitate toward purple florals, so I have tried many lilacs and I find this to be the best by far. I cannot think of another perfume like it to provide a comparison.

Unfortunately, in every kind of weather, my skin destroys En Passant. The lilac does not last for more than a few minutes; it quickly morphs into what smells like a cucumber prominent men's aftershave. Not necessarily a bad thing! But I really don't care for it on me, so I cannot even give myself the occasional spritz just to enjoy the lilac. Unlike other lilacs I have tried, I don't get any indolence in this one. In spite of the aftershave-y dry down on me, I would still say that is scent skews to the traditionally feminine.

Fortunately, EP wears entirely differently on my BFF. The lilac lasts and lasts on her, and it remains well blended through the dry down. So at least I was able to hand off my supply to someone who wears it well! Considering how different my friend's and my experiences are with En Passant, I highly recommend sampling prior to buying. If, like me, you find that you cannot wear EP, consider giving Pacifica's French Lilac body wash a try to satisfy your lilac cravings. It works for me

Gigi27
Gigi27

Truest lilac scent in the world. When I first tried it, I rejected it for being too linear, too one-note, perfect as that note is. I wished it had a noticeable wheat or bread scent, as well: it would have been perfect.

I took a scented strip home in my purse and forgot all about it, decided to choose between Le Parfum de Therese and Un Lys Med.

Next day I fished that scented strip out. En Passant had not resolved into a musky or soapy smell, it had instead become absolutely radiant. On a strip of paper, no easy feat.

I can see myself wearing this in all seasons, especially the spring and fall.

Went back to the store and bought a full bottle. Radiant perfection.

jasmin5327
jasmin5327

clean lilac, light and airy. Just like strolling in a spring garden.

misskwinners
misskwinners

This perfume reminds me of nivea original scent lotion...a softer version. i tend to smell the lilacs the most...haven't quite grasped the citrus but i think it would be great on a hot day where my body chemistry would pull it out.

i like to layer this with christian dior eau savage for a bit of soft green to boost up the lilac.

Stephaniejanef
Stephaniejanef

Wearing this today and getting clouds of warm and comforting scent. If I hadn't read the notes, I would've sworn there was mimosa and "Barbie-head" in this.

Dufteren
Dufteren

Oh WOW, Among the most beautiful fragrances I have ever tried.

I feel like I am bathing in a pool, filled with fresh cut lilacs.

It is so nice when a flower is respected for it's beautiful and true aroma, that it can stand alone almost naked and stripped from compotition of other notes. Sometimes we just have to bow for nature, for giving us the most beautful scents, and for Frederic Malle for capturing it for us to wear end enjoy.

This is worth the pricetag.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Dewy lilacs after rain is what Frederic Malle En Passant evokes to me. It smells very realistic and pure. I could almost feel the pollen among the delicate petals. Although the fragrance is pratically linear, I can smell something reminiscent of rice vapour in the opening.

I especially appreciate the subtle touch of cucumber and wheat. They complement the lilac with their slightly quirky characteristics without distracting from the main theme. I don't smell bread per se, but the wheat provides a sort of dry nutty powdery warmth, which balances beautifully with the aquatic cucumber.

The sillage is very close to skin, and the longevity is around 8 hours. A deceivingly simplistic lilac soliflore, yet the subtle nuances prevent En Passant from being boring. Although I'd suggest againt blind buying considering the price and the aquatic aspect of the fragrance, I think it definitely worths a try if you're interested in a clean green floral.

SeattleBatise

I love this fragrance.Simple yet elegant.

The Wandering Fern
The Wandering Fern

One of my most-favorite perfumes. Just gorgeous.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

A beautiful lilac and green wood perfume. I don't like the watery dry down as much, and I don't smell cucumber or wheat at all, but the lilac is very natural and realistic and has good longevity.

A few years back a bad ice storm broke half the branches off of the lilacs in my brother and sister-in-law's yard, and my SIL's heart along in the bargin. She loved those flowers so much. I think she may be in for a bottle of this come her birthday.

archivist
archivist

The lilac is so lovely in this, though I confess that I find the cucumber distracting. If I was given a choice between this and Jo Malone's White Lilac and Rhubarb, I would go with the Malone - in which the gorgeous, living lilac gets on much better with its dancing partner. Also, I find that this dries down more melony/cucumbery - and somewhat sour. The Malone dries down to lilac alone.

SundayMorning
SundayMorning

Extremely true to ingredient! Lilac-beautiful, cucumber-beautiful. I will use this , everytime the swedish darkness seems to never dissapear. True spring, true schoolbreak, true pureness without ANY scent of powder :)

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I owned a bottle of this a few years ago, and eventually sold it, since I liked it better sprayed on my linens than on me. What I loved about En Passant was that it made me feel I was in a beautiful early summer meadow surrounded by blooming Queen Anne's Lace. Since I had never heard anything about any notes, I didn't expect anything of a lilac nature, nor did I notice anything like lilacs. Instead, En Passant creates its own environment, and if you can enjoy it on that basis, you may like it more than if you have specific expectations of its smell. Another fragrance which reminded me a bit of this, although I discovered it later, was the first Kate Spade fragrance. I wouldn't say they smelled the same, but they brought back summery memories which seemed connected, and had a light nostalgic fresh floral quality. I might have been able to wear both of these scents better when I was younger. They just don't seem to do well on my skin anymore.

kmcgrath
kmcgrath

Smells of fresh lilac – truly beautiful. However, it is also very linear (strike one), and the longevity and projection are disappointing (strikes two and three). Though I’ll continue to use my sample on weekend days, when I don’t expect my fragrance to carry me into the evening, I can’t see investing in this one.

lollero
lollero

I can't really enjoy this because it is only the lavender that I get. Might as well go outside and dive right into a bush of lavender flowers. It's very soft and glam so to speak. I like perfumes that are sexy and this isn't that. All in all very well made perfume which just isn't for me at all.

Lana148
Lana148

The best lilac perfume ever! Very realistic, soft with a great dry-down!

rockegg
rockegg

Don't trash yours, Appleberry, send it to me! I think it smells just like fresh, growing lilacs, leaves and all.

This is the sort of fragrance I wish was marketed to the young girls. I would like them to smell like fresh, simple, flowers, not like some cheap version of sexy.

appleberry37

it smells kinda powdery like baby powder, but not totally... I know hard to describe. I don't find anything smelling aquatic.

appleberry37

This was my first niche perfume I bought from Barneys. I bought a 100ml for two hundred and something dollars... VERY DISAPPOINTING

after a couple sprays, I used less than 1/10 of the bottle, I couldn't use it any more. It just smells aldehydic. I know that nowadays, after so much science development(sorry English is my second language),it is impossible to find a perfume that uses all natural ingredient because there is such high demand. And perhaps only super rich people who pay fifty thousand dollars or more(actually more than that since Killian personalized perfume costs fifty thousand dollars and they do NOT use all natural ingredients. Killian smells so cheap and gives me headache I was so disappointed. Total marketing)

Anyways, back to En passant, I hoped the more I use the more I'll get used to it and love it,,,,, but that never happened. It is still almost full and perhaps gonna be trashed.

becuille
becuille

This one is a picnic in a park on a crisp spring day.

As others have noted, the lilac is very realistic and pure. It's definitely the star of the show. The cucumber gives the aquatic edge to this and it does so beautifully. This isn't tropical island aquatic, it's more babbling brook aquatic.

This is a simple, clean fragrance that just begs to be worn in the springtime. Green, first and foremost, but with an airy quality underneath.

Longevity isn't wonderful, unfortunately. I got about 4 hours out of it and only 3 of those was the scent still running at full steam. Sillage is moderate.

I'd jump to buy a full bottle if this lasted longer on my skin.

SeattleBatise

I went from Chanel Exclusifs to Frederic Malle. This is my first FM and I have a bottle of Angéliques Sous La Pluie on the way. As well this is my first Fragrantica review - so I must say WOW reviews really need to be taken with a light heart as just like music fragrance is so subjective. Different people wear perfume for different reasons.

Day 1 - 3 sprays from a full bottle this a.m. @ 7:30 of my En Passant and I can still smell this lovely scent - 9hrs later. It is a very subtle, unique, clean scent that I love. I feel like I am wearing something very special - just for me. The person I want to smell it will and that is all that matters. I'm at work and don't want to offend so this is great. This last longer than my Chanel Exclusif - Jersey as this time yesterday that stuff was long gone.

So far so good En Passant makes me very very happy...

Cheers!

Fiferstone
Fiferstone

This is a lovely, non-nauseating lilac, but dang, it's gone after an hour. I have a tester given to me as a sample, so I know I won't be purchasing this one.

elusivek
elusivek

This is pleasant. It's a soft lilac with fresh/aquatic nuances and a breath of fresh cut sweet grass. The aquatic however, is not an ozone/rain element, it's more vegetal. There is also a fairly prominent sweet note that seems slightly out of place. It's very soft, low sillage. It's a lovely light late spring scent with plenty of sunshine but it's a bit too subtle for me. I prefer Ineke's After My Own Heart for a more robust lilac spring scent.

9-na
9-na

This scent is natural lilac on my skin, leaves, twigs, seeds, and, of course, flowers. I love En Passant.

spidola
spidola

I hope readers forgive me my opinion that seems to be contrary to the majority ...
Testing En Passant I hoped to smell the blooming lilac in springtime, but I did not get it. The perfume opened with green floral notes of lilac, but not the flowers only, also the leaves, the branches - all the tree and it was rather good. But then jumped in the watery note, which got more and more force (or maybe it’s my nose detecting it in amplified way). It was not a fresh rain, it seemed like a water from flower vase…The branches of lilac had been cut, had been put to the vase and had been left there for some days. The flowers had started to wither and some of them had fallen into the water... The smell was very acquatic and not so good any more. It was sad and melancholic. (By the way I like melancholic scents, such as Balenciaga L’Essence for example, where the sadness derives from the smell of forest’s undergrowth and from the game of shadows and it’s beautiful). But here was another story ….
I’m sorry, but it’s not for me…

mymlan
mymlan

Every time I try En Passant, it confuses me. It could just be a soliflower, but no. Some days I smell the most natural smelling sweet lilacs, and other days like today, I smell ozonic wheat followed by a green fresh, and slightly sour note. It's quite linear with a sharp take off that slowly fades away. Both the duration and sillage are satisfying.

This fragrance has wandered on and off my wantlist. I find it very interesting eventhough it has so few notes. I like it's chameleon nature, projection and duration. And now when I've finished my sample I think it just wandered on my want list again. And since I'm downsizing it's very hard to get there.

Doc Blue
Doc Blue

On me, En Passant started with the smell of still gooey bread dough and watery flowers (I know it sounds weird, but I actually found it quite pleasant and not at all irritating or obtrusive. It actually reminded of kindergarten; I went to a Waldorf school and we would make our bread from scratch.) and quickly morphed into a photorealist lilac where it remained for most of its life span. It then dried down in to a softer, more abstract floral. It lasted about twelve hours on me and had nice sillage, the sort that floats around you like a small cloud but doesn't invade other people's space bubbles or cling to everything you toach.

All in all, I quite like En Passant and see a decant, if not a bottle, in my future. However, I can't help but find myself wishing it was bit lusher and more complex.

Germany
Germany

Beautiful blast of lushes wet lilac bushes after a rainfall. Quite lovely and if you love lilacs you will adore this fragrance. It's well done and super realistic.
Brings back memories of the past, maybe another perfume? Maybe lilac bushes in my garden as a child ?...or the fact that my mother loves lilacs? I don't know but this fragrance is heavenly .

WendyMH
WendyMH

The truest, most refreshing lilac scent I have ever encountered... and I am always nostalgically drawn to test out lilac scents. Fresh dewy flowers, just bloomed into the spring on a clear blue sky day. True love for En Passant.

kinetisphere
kinetisphere

i love the way this smells. the opening is a blast of flowers and fresh air! i believe it's the lilac and cucumber i am smelling.. quite refreshing and very uplifting. i could fall in love with the scent of any woman that wears this. definitely a compliment obtaining fragrance in my book.

i do have to add i have not picked up on the wheat note.

however it does stay true to it's original scent... a very pretty floral ozone scent. kinda like a early morning dew covered garden that has dried a little bit and you just caught a breeze passing over the flowers.

very pleasant en passant.

smartiepeanut
smartiepeanut

Like burying your face in fresh, wet lilacs. Absolutely breathtaking. The most nostalgic scent.
But...
Longevity and sillage are incredibly poor. I'm so sad to say that En Passant is a waste of money.

So, so disappointed because I absolutely adore this perfume.

Update: I don't care if it doesn't last; I just cannot resist it! Everything else is just "meh" in comparison. I have found the one.

christianne1
christianne1

Oh wow...beautiful, feminine, crisp, clean, fresh and gently floral. Realistic and natural smelling. Perfect spring/summer. Seriously, who would not like this? So pretty. En Passant is a true natural beauty.

d_l_esmond
d_l_esmond

This is quite pleasant and interesting , especially at the beginning when it does come through as a credible, non-chemical and fresh lilac. It morphs into a moderate, pleasing green floral very soon and stays like that for the rest of its life. More feminine than masculine, understated and gentle.
Sadly, not for me, despite my liking of lilac. My current taste leads me more into Baroque and Victorian dimensions and this is definitely not there. So the quest is still on for believable lilac, lily of the valley and hyacinth.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

En passant, is definitely a moment of pure pleasure for me! My goodness, what a pitch perfect rendition of a cool, & private moment under ancient lilac bushes! Normally I'd run from anything boasting an "aquatic" note, but there's no synthetic mess here. I think the cucumber provides the sense of wetness, or water, the wheat just softens the composition so that the star of the show-Lady Lilac isn't screeching at us, she's reciting poetry in the shade instead. En Passant is really a dream come true for me because my husband is very, vey allergic to real lilac blossoms. We even had to remove them from our property! However, here, with no pollen to irritate, I can enjoy this heady flower which I've loved all of my life! Blended so perfectly, how can I resist! Lilac usually gives the impression of something vintage, or old fashioned, but interpreted very well here into modern perfumery, En Passant is a winner from the Malle line for me. I will definitely be adding a full bottle purchase to my collection, as I think it will be very delightfully refreshing all spring & summer. I'm still catching my own sillage from a mere two sprays, and wondering where the bouquet is! Beautiful, simply beautiful.

I could see this being so elegant at a wedding or outdoor party or dinner. Next spring my love.. In the shade of the lilacs..

fjelluft
fjelluft

Its a little funny or creapy...

To me it is a smell of an old church. Those of you who were or live in contineltal Europe vill probably understand. Those dark, moist old churches have very special smell to them. And it is like that for the first 2 hrs. After that time i find it sweet lilac and cucumber freshnesh. But Im allready disrupted for the rest of the day. I had a sample and Im deffinitely not buying one.

kayley123
kayley123

En Passant is lovely! Very green and fresh, really does smell like WATER with a bit of cucumber and really fresh fragrant grass growing and floating in it (LIVE, grass, NOT CUT) with the scent of lilacs growing by it (reminds me of water lilies, like the Monet painting). Very peaceful and gentle, a relaxing one!

evesoho
evesoho

I'm echoing some other reviewers when I say that my childhood home had large purple lilac bushes in our backyard growing against the house. We would open the sliding glass patio doors in our kitchen early in the a.m. and leave them open until nightfall to let the scent come inside. Every couple of days during the two-week-long bloom my mom and I cut more flowers for the kitchen table and mine and my sister's bedrooms.

That being said, this is a very pretty and interesting perfume regardless of how much it does or doesn't remind me of those happy times. En Passant reminds me of my favourite jasmine soliflore, Molinard Jasmin. Although the flowers obviously smell different, these perfumes share a similar composition and design, and create a similar effect. If you read their accords as they are listed on Fragrantica, you'll see the only difference is that MJ has "musky" listed where EP has "fresh". I was so surprised, too, to see below that Sherapop has already mentioned Molinard Violette as "sharing a spirit", an old-world spirit, with EP.

Other reviewers have said: crystal-clear, radiant, light, juicy, pure.

I agree. It reminds me of how I feel with cool, cool water running down my back. <3 If En Passant were a song it might be The Jayhawks' A Break In The Clouds (check it out!).

I love the cucumber-y heart and the wheaty drydown, which lasts for hours and hours on me, becoming more of a skin scent. I applied liberally, and I enjoyed the wafts of scent that came when I moved my arms, four hours later!

stacia79
stacia79

I continue to be let down by Frederic Malle. I had such high expectations for En Passant based on all the reviews. But it really didn't smell like realistic lilac to me at all... it was not fresh like a real lilac bush but powdery, like a dryer sheet. The wheat note was so intense that it just made the whole composition weird, like I was standing next to a lilac air freshener in a bakery.

virga
virga

The lilac note is so realistic, especially at the beginning: first half an hour I felt like standing in the bush of lilac in the fresh morning air – magic experience, I remembered those lilac bushes that used to grow in my childhood yard and how I liked to pluck the flowers looking for the one with five petals because it meant luck. But the drydown disappointed me: after an hour or so En Passant became too sweet and musky – far too mature and stuffy for my liking.

fpih
fpih

Soapy, single note floral fragrance, natural smelling and fresh. Like but do not love, seems kind of flat/boring to me. Plus, it's too soft for my tastes which run to heady orientals.

sunnyinphilly
sunnyinphilly

WOW! I have experienced such a beautiful and exciting moments with this fragrance! I am completly in love with En passant. It gives me confidence and a full satisfaction with everything that surrounds me ( despite the fact that I have to deal with a lot of problems at work ). The lilac in the bottle is so natural that it feels like I am in the past, when I was ten, in our beautiful house. We had so much lilacs... And my memories just came off...
What a happiness! I am in love!

antfarm
antfarm

I cried when I smelled this for the first time. Smells exactly like a neighbor's lilac bush I used to "borrow" branches from when I was a little girl. Also smells like baking bread in the background, which reminds me of walking around this one bagel store in Fells Point (Baltimore city). Reminds me of happy, innocent times. It's as if someone broke into my head and turned memories into a perfume. I don't think I'd ever wear this because I actually love it TOO much.

Joe1717
Joe1717

Perfect for a lady, like my girlfriend. I think is her favourite perfume (she has hundreds!). Sensual, plenty of style...petit grain and orange blossom gives its particular personality.

Jellybean
Jellybean

This smells so pretty and heavenly! Soft lilacs, touch of cucumber, soft musk and yeah I surprisingly smell water too, almost like being near fresh river spring. Such a delicate and beautiful fragrance.
It is daytime, extremely pleasant scent, soft spring floral.
I think I can bathe in this and still wouldn't get enough of it! It is that good!

AveParfum
AveParfum

En Passant is a modern lilac masterpiece. My own opinion takes me by surprise because at first it seemed like a light and boring soliflore. I regretted spritzing myself all over thinking "I could have worn a better fragrance, and now I'm stuck with this boring soliflore that will never match up to Crabtree and Evelyn's Lilas perfume" (discontinued around 1998).

At first I smelled a cold and crunchy cucumber with freshly cut lilac; along with a weird, synthetic, plastic-like scent that irritated me and ruined what "could have been perfection." The perfume started out watery and clear.

As the day wore on, a marvelous scent kept making its way up to my nose. By the third time I noticed it, I figured it must be coming from me. When I put my nose to my wrist, it still didn't smell that great. But when I put my nose a few inches from my wrist and wafted, that's when the magic happened. This perfume is truly worthy of its name, Passing Through. It's the scent of purple lilac bushes in full bloom; a scent that rides around on waves of air, sneaking up on you at unpredictable times--so close that you reach out to grab it; but it slips through your fingers.

I was taken by the depth of the perfume. At times it seemed there could be more florals in it than just lilac, but I think the magic is that En Passant takes lilac to a whole new level. It's no longer a soft, innocent flower, but a velvety, rich one. The best way I can describe the scent is lilac in 3D. Lilac perfected to the point of being almost unreal. I would still love to have an $18 bottle of Lilas like in the old days, but honestly, I'd want En Passant too. It's worth the price tag.

Guest_nicok
Guest_nicok

This is one of the perfumes recommended to me when answered the questionnaire in
Frederic Malle's website. Even male I have a thing with lily of the valley and lilac that they are mostly found in women's perfumes.
This one is almost solely lilac. Olivia Giacobetti has used here a technique I generally love. Large quantity of the main note (lilac) and infinitesimal amounts of the other raw materials.
En passant reminds me of Easter in Greece when lilacs are blooming.
It is a romantic and clean perfume.
I understand that many will not like it, as this scent is overused in cleaning products, and indeed the perfume should be more powdery and less soapy to avoid the above parallelism.
I also find its price unacceptable. Frederic Malle's perfumes are good but not divine.
There are way more impressive non-niche perfumes.

Rating: 6.5/10

pb0330
pb0330

i got a sample of this one. i don't even know what the notes are that i'm smelling, i don't get lilac at all. all i can say is that it reminds me of one of those perfumed toilet paper holders my grandmother had at her house, and i definitely do not want to smell like that. very powdery white flower-ish, not in a good way.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Synaesthesia describes En Passant best I feel, in the painting Monet - A Bend in the Epte Giverny, by Claude Monet. Picture yourself there, with rain droplets still clinging to the branches, the scent of fresh bread trailing gently from some distant oven. Its floral, gentle, heart gladdeningly green and fresh, with enough seductive gourmand to smooth the goosebumps into submission. I love this perfume. The genius of Frederick Malle is found in it's artistry of understatement. Indian Head massage in a bottle. Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

lucisamomo
lucisamomo

Really smells like spring. very comfort and extended scent.absolutely special. very pleasant. not overwhelming perfume

padraiginrua
padraiginrua

Unlike other reviewers, i didn't find this to be a lilac soliflore. Compare this to Jo Malone's Lilac (Ltd edition 2012) which I found to be a very realistic lilac.

The opening was clearly lilac, but it seemed softened after a point and was increasingly modulated by heliotropin. I am not one who wants to go around smelling like a floral bouquet and love this perfume because it seems to be an artistic interpretation or nature rather than an attempt to replicate it.

What a beautiful, soft, round, scent. Floral and feminine without being too virginal or weak. Love this.

Frédéric Malle EN PASSANT is a lovely lilac soliflore with a slightly green side. I find this composition very similar in spirit (although the flowers are obviously very different) to nineteenth-century violet soliflores such as Berdoues VIOLETTES DE TOULOUSE, Borsari VIOLETTA DI PARMA and the Molinard VIOLETTE. Very simple yet satisfying.

The closest lilac perfume to EN PASSANT is probably Ineke AFTER MY OWN HEART. The Ineke, however, is more resinous and perfumey--less like a bunch of rainwater-washed lilacs. At the same time, the lilac note is quite a bit more resilient, surviving all the way to the drydown and making the Ineke a better choice, it seems to me. It's almost as though the Ineke drydown faithfully reproduces the beautiful but shortlived opening of EN PASSANT.

Tovah
Tovah

The second perfume that made me cry...in a good way. This smells like the street I grew up on, with idyllic childhood memories. The street was lined on both sides with purple and white lilac bushes and their fragrance was truly intoxicating. This is the scent when the sun comes out after a bright spring rain, and when you arrive home from school your mother is taking linzer cookies from a hot oven.

VeronicaRoy
VeronicaRoy

Lovely heady scent of pure lilac, absolutely exquisite, the perfect spring perfume. Pity it hardly lasts at all. In ten minutes, it is as if you had never sprayed it on.

talnyc
talnyc

This was my first Frederick Malle scent from his fragrance boutique appeared in Barney's NY several years ago.

It is a lovely floral, but when I got home, it really bothered my sinuses. I could only wear it if I sprayed it in the air and walk into it. Otherwise, I was only hurting my nose and activating allergies.

To me, the scent has staying power. I received positive compliments when I wore it, but I was suffering allergy wise when I did.

Unfortunately, I will not buy this again, but I think they make the body lotion in this scent and next Spring, I will buy it as it probably is not as intense for me.

rosecat
rosecat

THE Most beautiful perfume - exactly like walking under lilac trees in spring so fresh - so natural!

If only i could afford a bottle - it is extremly expensive here in Australia.

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

It's really good, but too thin. Two hours and it's gone.

EDIT: I've tried it again, and this time it lasted a little longer: after four hours, I can still smell a shadow of it. It's a little bit strange, because until it lasts it's really powerful, at least if you smell it at close range. It's not Olivia Giacobetti's masterpiece (which is Dzing!, try it if you can) but a very good perfume anyway. It's classy, cold and stays with you just the time to make you fall in love, if you are sensitive to that kind of charm.
Also, it is quite feminine. I couldn't tell exactly why, but so far it's the most feminine perfume I've smelled.

possumke
possumke

I have been intrigued as to why so many fragranticans have this in their perfume collection. Now I know why.... it is the BEST natural, clean and soft smelling Lilac I have ever smelled! It is incredibly like the real thing!

Migotka
Migotka

I used to love lilac as a child, we had a lilac bush in our garden and the flowers always smelled amazing, lilac also featured in one of my favourite Terry Pratchett novels.

En Passant made me happy, because it is all about lilac as well. Lilac in full bloom, strong yet delicate, fragrant, enchanting. However, on my skin that's all En Passant has to offer. It is a lovely soliflore, but somehow a bit monotonous; does not develop at all, and from the beginning to the end remains the same. And... well, some people might consider it a blasphemy, but at this price, I do consider it not enough. I used to own Yver Rocher Pur Desir de Lilas and the difference was really minimal. The quality of ingredients might be higher in FM, but if I can get exactly the same scent, at a 1/4 of the price and enjoy the wonderfully blooming lilac flowers without ruining my pocket, I will rather go for the cheaper option.

pansylady
pansylady

This fragrance comes the closest to capturing the lilting but slightly melancholy smell of dew-kissed lilacs in full bloom- highly recommended!

Addendum- En Passant is so authentically lilac that it passed the nearly anosmic hubby test! My husband (who thinks all of my perfumes smell like either peaches or pine trees) correctly identified the lilac note- and he doesn't have a clue what artificial lilac fragrances smell like- only the genuine article-

So yes, where lilacs are considered- En Passant is the real deal!

Ambrosia8
Ambrosia8

Wow, very good stuff. En passant would be a total buy... if it lasted more than 2 hours on my skin!!! That's so disapointing, because it's exquisite (and also very expensive...) But I absolutely love the smell, it's perfect for spring, makes me happy. I love the light, simple, romantic feel to it. Maybe i'll end up buying it one day despite its crappy lasting power, because it smells so wonderful while it lasts.
edit: i finaly bought it anyway... and i'm happy i did!

Gillie
Gillie

When I was a child purple and white lilac bushes as high as trees grew against the back of our house. In the spring when they bloomed I would throw open my second floor bedroom windows and the scent would fill my room.

This is a subtle and gentle scent, very natural and airy. The cucumber does not smell like vegetables--rather it lends a rain-washed watery layer to the lilacs.

The scent has lasted about 3 hours and is now fading. It stays close to the skin. Altogether an uplifting and graceful harbinger of Spring.

icekat
icekat

(This review is for Eau de Perfume)

I love lilacs. Absolutely love them. But it is so hard to find perfumes that capture their beauty. EN PASSANT certainly does. The lilacs in EN PASSANT is like a watercolor painting splashed with the bright spring colors of green, blue, pale lavender and lilac. The lilacs seem very natural but not pure and innocent like in PUR DESIR DE LILAS by YR. The lilacs in EN PASSANT are vibrant, passionate and full of life. The feeling is like being madly in love and waiting in anticipation to meet the love of my life on a beautiful spring night in a lilac garden. My head is spinning from the excitement and in that moment I feel that I am one with the nature completely absorbed by its crazy and overwhelming celebration of spring. EN PASSANT is not just a fragrance, it is an experience.

The opening is gorgeous, strong, heady lilacs. It is like being dropped in the lilac bush. I do not perceive cucumber note as a cucumber. It actually reminds me of a light fresh breeze that touches the gentle flowers. I think I catch gentle and very subtle whiffs of lily of the valley. The scent stays green and fresh like a lilac garden after the rain towards the dry down.

The fragrance is a stunning representation of the lilac garden on a spring day. The sillage is medium. The scent is close to the skin on the dry down but it is long lasting. I love it and will be getting a full bottle for sure.

melia
melia

Now I don't particulary like green fragrances, but this is absolutely wonderful!
Maybe because it comes to my mind as a pastel-easter-green, not like a sharp bright green as many others. It is so romantic, due to this little powderyness of rice and nice fresh smooth lilac... And even that little watery cucumber. The combination of notes is just so original, and works out so well. I would love to smell like this on a springday going to a museum... And walk through a parc afterwards.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Oh, yes, please! Thank you Guusje for the sample!

Lilacs are a very nostalgic bloom, aren't they? I'd imagine most people associate lilacs with being a kid, plucking them off branches, and deeply inhaling their scent. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people who sniff this will be transported back to their childhood, and will smile.

This is absolutely lilacs in springtime -- right down to the elixir in the petals, you know?: when you rub the actual flower between your fingers? THAT'S the kind of lilac scent I'm talking about. Not powdery lilac, but "green" and bright and juicy lilac.

Then, yes, something cucmber-ish comes through (but not in a strong way on me). Then a salty rice (still pleasant on my skin).

Then that fades away to a musky white flower at the end.

Heavenly!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Nothing captures the true scent of lilacs blooming in the Nebraska springtime (and I'm sure they smell lovely in other places, too). En Passant is a nice tribute to that scent, though. I sampled this one in December but it strikes me as the perfect scent for Spring and early Summer. I hope to revisit this one in warmer weather.

You'll notice the lilac most of all, but the scent has more complexity than a single-note perfume. En Passant is clean, flowery, fresh, green and slightly cucumber-y. The sillage and persistence were incredible. I used two tiny spritzes from a 2 ml tester, but I and everyone else could smell this lovely perfume for 12 hours or more. This one is a bit pricey but will be a good value as a bottle or even a small decant will last ages, since only a small dose is needed.

Cereza
Cereza

This is the most natural lilac smell I've ever found in fragrance. At the opening I feel something similiar to linden blossom and honey sweetness together with wonderful/sunny lilac. It's the most uplifting fragrance I've ever encountered and it's a true masterpiece. This is my first Frederic Malle sample and I am so charmed by the smell that's I can't even sit straight. It's divine, sunny. And, boy, I really can't believe there is no linden blossom listed, because I FEEL IT. Very, very natural. And the lilac, oh, it's not just the lilac, it's the green leaves of lilac adding some "spice" and "sharpness". I'm in urge to have this for spring. It's divine. And I'm yet again in love.

harlequin1572
harlequin1572

This scent brings back one of my earliest memories. When I was quite little, our family used to keep the salt and the sugar in very similar containers. And because of this, I once mistakenly put some salt into my tea (my sister was not in the habit of switching the salt with the sugar, so the fault was all mine). To my 6-year old self, it seemed like a good idea to prevent the waste of perfectly good tea by adding some sugar to it, thus "canceling out" the salt. The result - which I repeatedly tried drinking, in disbelief of my failure - was truly sickening, as anyone with a bit more sense can imagine.

As much as I would have loved to like this perfume, it elicits a similar reaction in me. The few notes that this fragrance incorporates are individually very natural and fresh, particularly the lilac, which is my favorite scent in nature. But somehow the combination of the warmness of lilac and the coolness of cucumber does not work for me, even though I fully expected this to be a refreshing duet. The cucumber simply resists all sweetening by the lilac, and the lilac does not become fresher and crisper in the presence of the cucumber - and so the two individually wonderful smells do not combine into a single entity. Something about the particular extracts used in this fragrance, I suspect, makes them solo players and prevents them from combining well - or perhaps my skin is to blame, which I'm starting to think is the case, considering that this is the minority opinion.

judies6
judies6

The dry down of this fragrance is very similar to the base notes found in the discontinued Clinique Simply. Very unique smell.

adele l
adele l

Oh so pretty-it's a true lilac on my skin-exactly like the flower. The sillage reveals other notes but very gently. It's very nicely done with nothing overriding the lilac ( of course you have to love the smell of lilac bushes to appreciate it ).

Kterhark
Kterhark

I grew up in the northern midwest, where lilac bushes were plentiful.
That said, I am now going to go against the tide and saying this does NOT capture lilac as I experienced it. Lilac, to my olfactory memory, was THE indication that winter was being pushed out by warm, sunny days. The smell had the power to lift you right up to those fat, fluffy spring time clouds.

This scent drops you like a chunk of mud. I think it is the rice note, which is just too heavy here and smells like a soggy field of dead grass. I hsould add I'm no fan of vetiver, which may mean I'm no fan of grasses in general. This may be hitting an olfactory pet peeve of mine.

This is an interesting fragrance though, and I can how it would have it's fans. Springtime scents that I can wear, as a side note, are Apres L'ondee and... well, that's it actually

logicmuppet
logicmuppet

Amazing scent. I only have a tester so I have to be sparing with it, but my boyfriend can't keep his nose out of my hair when I wear it. My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to last very long, only an hour or two.

Omnia_Insomnia
Omnia_Insomnia

I used to wear this perfume in spring and early summer, it always made me feel so pure and sparkling. But once I felt I needed to put it on my skin on a winter day - and i realized how many things about this perfume I have missed for not wearing it in winter. It's like a light aquarelle or frosty pattern on the windows - transparent and amazing with its beauty!

mellybee
mellybee

When I was a child, I used to snug myself under a lilac tree with a good book in my hand and I spent my entire day preoccupied with an imaginary word and caught the breeze of the lilac whipped by the wind occasionally.

Olivia Giacobetti achieved to capture the lilac note truly , but it is more than a straightforward lilac scent because this fragrance evokes memories of my childhood.

The best time of wearing is when you don't feel like smelling perfume-y, just simple pretty.

Σελήνη
Σελήνη

En passant is really nice.It's fresh and soft and very light it's not really a parfume,it's more like a second skin.
I smell the cucumber and flowers(lilac).The rice make it soft.I never smelled such a fragrance really interesting.
I think it's a perfect fragrance for the spring and summertime,you always feel free and clean when you wear it.
A scent for all occasion and for every woman.It's not really powerful and last not such a long time but this is maybe interesting for some people which searching for a light,natural scent.The Bottle is great i like the Bottle a lot the clarity match good to the fragrance.

Popovna
Popovna

The best spring smell. For a long time searched for a gentle lilac.

It does smell like real lilac, right down to the woody branches and green rangy leaves. Don't get me wrong, I love lilac and grew up with lilac bushes in the yard, but there's a note the flowers get as they start to die, a sort of rotting sweetness, sad decay, and this perfume has that, too. I'd rather my florals were fresher and less close to turning black and falling all over the table.

Natalya
Natalya

Smell of love and romance,sensual classic fragrance,not too heavy or too flowery.Love it! One minus-too pricey

F_A
F_A

Very nice "clean" and pure scent of white lilac, and though I don't like white flowers in fragrances, this one is an exception! It is so very radiant and serene.

mademoiselle_nicole
mademoiselle_nicole

pure and cristal-clear.
it is the perfect spring scent. soft and clean lilac with a slight touch of cucumber to give it an aquatic whiff.
it treats the beauty of this one raw material with the respect you find in a childs eyes when it observes nature.
heartbreakingly beautiful

jeca
jeca

Must have for spring :-) Absolutely natural lilac, with the fine green and juicy beginning.