Designers » F-H » « Groups

Geranium Pour Monsieur Frederic Malle for men

Geranium Pour Monsieur Frederic Malle for men
dislike

Inspiration for a new edition by Frederic Malle originates from work on soap Anterenea, which reminds of old and luxurious soaps from his childhood. While he was creating the formula, his attention was attracted by geranium essence, which contributes to pure and sophisticated olfactive experience. The new perfume from Frederic Malle's collection - Geranium Pour Monsieur is certainly a new alternative for men who are searching for ultra-chic freshness combined of natural essences framed with modern technologies.

The story about the latest edition for men begins with this precise ingredient- geranium essence. In cooperation with perfumer Dominique Ropion, the new fragrance was create to incorporate opulent, masculine ingredients around the main theme – geranium. The idea for the clean and pure fragrance with the scent of long-lasting freshness is created of aromas of geranium from China along with rhodinol (fresh, fragrant ingredient extracted from Chinese geranium), mixed with anise and mint. Spices in the composition contribute to elegant, masculine turn (cloves and cinnamon), along with sandalwood and a new sort of white musk, which retains long-lasting fresh and sophisticated effect.

What is the most interesting is that the formula contains natural notes strengthened with a new technology. Cinnamon was extracted by CO2 and mint is specifically molecular distilled into mint absolute. Geranium Pour Monsieur is a fragrance of the new age which combines natural ingredients with time of digital era. Dominique Ropion had a wish to create a deep and sophisticated trail and to enrich the fragrance with an exotic combination of incense resinoid and Siamese styrax benzoin.

Top notes of the composition encompass: mint absolute, peppermint oil, Chinese geranium oil, rhodinol, anethol and floralozone. A heart includes CO2 and cloves oil, while a base is composed of a cocktail of white musk, ambroxan, sandalwood, resinoid incense and Siamese styrax benzoin. Geranium Pour Monsieur was launched in 2009.

Mint Geranium Star Anise

Cinnamon Clove

Musk Sandalwood Incense Styrax Benzoin

Nevermore

Geranium Pour Monsieur Fragrance Reviews

Zender
Zender

A very nice fragrance, although way out of my normal selections (I'm more the spicy, aromatic, woody, balsamic guy). It was given as a hand-me-down froma friend who was finished with it, although still about half-full.

Being one for adventures, I thought, why the hell not. Today was the first day of wearing this, and although I didn't recieve any compliments (I never get compiments, no matter what I wear, must be the social circle...) I definitely liked this one.

Longevity is insane, I put it on over 12 hours ago, and even after a long martial arts sesstion I can still smell it, and not even as a skin scent. Asked the misses, and she can detect it about two feet away even now. Just two sprays on the chests lasts me a whole day and then some.

I can't say to much about the fragrance itself though, I'm not nearly experienced enough for that. All I can say is, it's very different from what I usually come across, and although it has a slight feminist streak to it (It smells like flowers....) I really like it for warmer weather. The fragrance does change slightly over time, but overall the theme stays the same, geranium, geranium, and more geranium, with a hint of mint and wood. Nice and fresh and different. This one is staying in the rotation.

Little Prince
Little Prince

Geranium pour Monsieur is a novel fougere done in an impressionistic manner. Thus it creates a “picture” clear and simple from afar but complex and multilayered up close. Like those Van Gogh or Monet paintings that when observed diligently reveal a world of tenacious detail.
The fragrance opens with a torrential crisp-green accord, slightly ozonic, highlighted by the most vivid mint interpretation which paradoxically stays to the menthol cool side avoiding the usual stale/tart tale that follows mint's burst. The aromatic heart is conquered by geranium's enigmatic transparent floralcy with a spiced profile (clove and cinnamon create a very grasping hot-cool effect) along the bold presence of star anise which cleverly extends the anisic element hidden in mint. The seminal lathery drydown that follows involves mainly musks and resins and its opaqueness creates a shadowplay with the preluding transparency.
One of the advantages of the fragrance is its pacing evolution. It takes its time and works primarily with comprehensible olfactory suggestions rather than statements. Ropion is a classicist and knows the craft and the thinking behind a perfume rather than merely the thrill. Today’s “fresh” is all about pay-off and there is hardly ever any buildup in the plot. The fragrance uses Ropion’s skilled perfumery and exquisite materials and keeps us intensely hooked, sniffing and trying to understand, always expecting in eagerness.
Geranium pour monsieur stroke the world of fresh fragrances like a thunderbolt. Like other Ropion creations (VE for example) the fragrances create the impression of missions rather than adventures. Geranium pour Monsieur is another one into the fresh genre, masterfully planned and executed. A rule-breaking and sophisticated fragrance that vibrates with frightening intensity.
Connoisseurs only.

Hoxx
Hoxx

The moment I applied this scent, I was hit - that's the exact word for the feeling I felt - by a strong mint note. It was quite aggressive to begin with, and after it was joined with a similarly nuanced geranium, I was a bit surprised and baffled. After I took my time to rest from the initial blast(five to ten minutes), I smelled my forearm again and I was delighted. It was all the same as in the opening, mint and minty geranium, but its kicking power disappeared and I got a pleasant, refreshing(in the best possible way) aura that was distinctive as well - it was different from every scent I've tried until now. The later phases introduce some more spices, but only in the background, and the drydown of GPM has some soapy qualities, but the backbone of this scent is geranium(as expected, I guess) and mint mixture.

The longevity of GPM can leave something to be desired for some people, but, being that I think of it as of a summer scent, I can't say it's bad - I got five or six hours out of it and that's OK, in my opinion. Its projection is rather personal after its initial blast softens a bit, and it's much harder to overapply than it feels at first, believe me. This scent is somewhat linear and simple, so it's really not for a complex fragrance lovers. The occasions to wear this scent are numerous, and season-wise it fits summer the best, but can be easily worn whenever and wherever.

Geranium pour Monsieur reminded me of Aqua Allegoria line by Guerlain. It feels fresh, natural, understated. Also, rather simple, but with solid materials. Being that I'm a fan of the mentioned line, and of simple scents in general, I like this one very much. In my opinion, this is an excellent option for a different fresh scent, even if a bit too pricey for some(me included).

8.25/10

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

From a 5ml sample over 3 days.
For over a year I've been searching for a mint-based fragrance, because I don't identify with citrus, and I've sampled many. How ironic, that I finally happen upon this, the one that I like best of all, that certainly has mint, but only in a minor role. Geranium: alien to my northern nose, yet feels like it should have been a scent I've always known.
Not too much mint at the start, a cool, fresh, lemony-rosey floral that makes me think of Turkish Delight confectionery. And a second later is an authentic herbaceous smell. Like pressing your face into a green bouquet covered with cold raindrops. Or a garden, covered in dew, in the morning before everything starts again. Like someone else said here, it's uplifting, it is really uplifting. Then it's soapy, like really old fashioned soap. What an enigma: times an intensely real unmistakable mint and floral, times an absolutely synthetic, soapy rose. For something that is, at face value, simple and linear, it isn't, it plays with you, like a cool breeze blowing in suggestions of the garden flowers outside in through a bathroom window.
I thought this would be so so easy to explain, but in reality I can't find the right language to describe this lovely scent.
It's sillage is soft, it won't turn heads, but that's not important to me as this is an intensely personal experience which isn't about other people. There are other scents, other times, for that. Longevity is several hours, although all but the first of those hours are a faint, cool, fleeting floral breath, that briefly blows in the window, or the faintest reminder of the soap you washed with (take your choice) just when you think it was gone forever, never to return.
January 2016

Cyrus Smith
Cyrus Smith

I have been going back and forth for nearly 3 years before buying a bottle. I was stunned the first try by the singularity of Geranium pour Monsieur. But I needed to take my time to fully discover and understand this original and unique mixture. Overwhelmed by the herbal and botanical aspects of it, I never got the toothpaste vibe that some reviewers described, but a strong mint accompanying this Oh, so strong and beautiful biting herbal, green opening.

Geranium pour Monsieur is an invigorating and uplifting fragrance that will be icy & crisp in winter, cool & bright in spring or autumn and refreshing & soothing under a scorching summer sun. An all year round pleasure!

Dominique Ropion got my attention first with Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, and followed Geranium pour Monsieur. Thank you Mr Ropion for such artistry and pleasure!

Lom
Lom

This perfume needs your patience. You can't appreciate its beauty in the first hour! It has so much mint that it covers its real essence, and in a way protects it. but be patient. It is worth it, and the smell you will have all day long is marvelous. The initial opening was a disappointment: it reminded me a little bit of Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden (how awful!) and Dirty by Lush (Gorilla perfumes). A friend even asked me which green tea I was drinking because of the mint accord. But don't let that put you off.
After the strong mint settles you get a fresh mix of geranium and spices, which is both very fresh and warm and is very elegant. A high quality perfume, hidden in a sea of mint. But it is worth jumping in.

ecchance
ecchance

I was intrigued by all of the promising reviews posted on Fragrantica and elsewhere of this, and had been dying to try it out as it sounded right up my alley. Fast forward to today, when I finally got the chance to spray this on my wrist - love at first scent! I fully intend to purchase this after receiving my bonus - and I could definitely see this as my signature scent. Truly a lovely modern take on gernanium infused with mint and spices - it is dynamic and seems to project a great deal. It is light, fun, interesting and not overly masculine, perfect balance on this one! I love how it is both minty fresh and also warm at the same time. Will write a full review after purchasing a sample, or dare I say, full bottle?

marioslg3

I've tried this early in July were the temp. was 35C and i rejected it. Was given to a friend the same day i bought it....yesterday i went to the store and i bought again a sample to see it now in autumn...and indeed i loved it...now is not all mint, now the geranium comes out and is great. truly unique perfume and definitely i will buy it again....

gelo999
gelo999

Geranium Pour Monsieur is a very modern fragrance design made as an alternative to the classic aromatic fougeres. It is original, fresh, terpene, made rhodinol, mint CO2, skilfully softened and sweetened by the star anise and the stamp of character with spices, flavor is a point where you notice you are doing a nod to timeless "Azzaro pour homme".

It is intended for male tastes and hot weather. All general structure of the fragrance revolves around the simple agreement geranium flower and Mediterranean.

Undoubtedly, it is the best deal geranium Chinese market, this is slightly softer and less harsh than the geranium Bourbon. It feels quite linear least drying changing, and is the first fragrance that uses natural essences based on high-tech manufacturing processes.
Years later Pierre Guillaume connected with this type of fragrances in their collection: Huitieme Art.

The drydown is sandalwood and musk cocktail, with a drop of incense and benzoin for faceting and provide rich color. The stela is swift cloud to fit the wearer's skin which makes it ideal for everyday use.

Incredibly attractive, modern and very well balanced, it is definitely the fragrance and will be of use for the day to day of the new classic, elegant and sophisticated.
As an anecdote, say that using the own Frederic Malle.

A magnificent fragrance that is an exceptional value.

Rating:9.5

rumpusraider
rumpusraider

The top notes, geranium and mint (and probably the anise though I cannot detect the note individually) combine in a way that immediately brings to mind Jaegermeister (and brings back some late night jaeger related memories as well, not all pleasant). The sprayer is generous enough to make the most liberal sprayer from Creed jealous. The mint in this is pronounced enough that I can feel the mintyness (is that even a word?) on my skin.

After about fifteen minutes, the genanium bows out leaving mint to finish the dance alone. Then, as psebi101 said in a previous review, what you're left is the smell of clean, un-perfumed, skin,.

Other than a passing resemblance to Creed's Vetiver Geranium the open, GpM treads into new, and infinitely more interesting territory.

scohn80215
scohn80215

I was initially very skeptical to buy this perfume since I usually take a chance and buy things online. Some of the reviews here scared me away. Fortunately I was in NYC last week and stopped at Barneys and was able to smell this perfume. I instantly bought a bottle. I think this is one of Malle's best perfumes. Compared to some of his others, it's not musky, but a very clean smell. Although I liked every bit of it, after wearing it for about 6 hours, the smell was so soft and beautiful. For anyone who hasn't purchased or tried a Malle fragrance before, it may seem very expensive, but the smell and the sophistication is something you cannot get with any general commercial cologne/perfume. Overall, I love this perfume.

psebi101
psebi101

It opens minty, but not herbaceous mint leaves; it has the geranium leaves smell, which can be minty and rough, raw. The opening is accentuated by anise and the scent feels soapy and dusty, clean and dirty at the same time, like I imagine an old bar of soap would smell.

One hour in, the mint calms and a light sweetness reveals itself. To me, it smells like a freshly washed up skin at first which then goes into the fresh laundry territory.

The fragrance doesn't have much volume or weight after the first hour, it is light with minimal projection. The scent shifts from a masculine, cold and serious beginning to a unisex, clean and warm dry down. This is the best part but unfortunately I can barely smell it.

Projection: 4/10

marioslg3

Tried this today and I was disappointed...it's smells like a toothpaste, nothing from geranium...and I through that this was one of the best FM as per reviews....nothing!
only mint, MINT POUR MONSIEUR is the correct name.

Planet_X
Planet_X

My first thoughts:"its Odd!"
Day second - "I need to understand why its so odd yet..intriguing"
Third day - "I hate geranium, apart of that its great"
Day four - "I will just spray tiny little bit on the sleeve of my coat"
Day five - "I got it, I love it, maybe I EVEN like geranium now?..."
I would agree if first thing that people smell here is fresh, minty toothpaste, not even toothpaste itself but freshly cleansed and rinsed by sort of minty Listerine mouth) Odd, isnt it?..) You feel so cold and fresh inside, like whole your flesh got an extra internal vacuuming.
then what! Geranium, real, big time real geranium fresh leaves, rubbed in palms, - my cat loved to destroy Granny's geranium pots, so I know the exact smell of crashed geranium stalks.
And after all this super-clean, agressive even freshness you suddenly relaxed - anis...Ohhh greek Ouzo, I love you, people who love ouzo like me will understand - its unlike anything else and you still able to have this taste IN your mouth.
Last and final accord - you got spiced and incensed.
So overall, this fragrance that cooks you! first it will clean you, then it will soak you in alcohol, put spices on top and eat you alive.
Cant be without this monster now.

sfdla
sfdla

Sad day.

I snuggled in this morning with a new batch of decants and was super excited to try this one--I have a geramium scrub by Aesop I'm obsessed with, but the scent has zero longevity. At least on me.

Though I love unisex scents, adore Mr. Malle's fragrances/philopsophy, and *love* two of Dominique Ropion's masterpieces for the house--this one is just too dudely on me.

Geranium Pour Monsieur starts out like drugstore aftershave. Which, hey--there's a time and a place. But it opens from aftershave to...soap. Not clean soap, more like a no-name box of three soaps (each pleated/wrapped in tissue paper, with a sticker).

Soap turns into powder soap, and I hate powdery--it's like deoderant or talc, used for suppressing odors instead of projecting olfactory loveliness.

The soap smell does eventually open to more of the floral I was expecting, but that powder stays. The geranium is definitely there, but it's not a pure, strong, fresh smell.

This dries down to a masculine floral that on me is super generic.

Erok32
Erok32

This doesn't smell like toothpaste at all to me. Yes, it's very minty, but it's more herbal than anything. It's not clove or cinnamon heavy by any means. The incense in here gives it sort of an old school bathroom soap kind of feel. It's a very clean/fresh scent.

nero77
nero77

Fresh, fresh, fresh!

This is a very clever fragrance... masterfully composed. The perfumers here wanted to recreate the classic masculine smell or "fougère" smell (ie a Lavender, Oakmoss, Coumarin combination used in most "green" or "traditional" fragrances for men). They used inspiration from men's soaps from the 1920's which used Geranium and cloves in order to convey "freshness" and an overall "clean & masculine" smell. The result here is quite remarkable.

Basically the perfumer Dominique Ropion has taken Geranium oil in it's purest form, and built a composition around it. Geranium can be sometimes minty, sometimes lemon-fresh, sometimes like cloves, or sometimes like rose. Here he has added notes which "pump-up" these different aspects of Geranium, such as mint absolute, cinnamon extracted using modern technology to bring out the "fresh" and "aromatic" aspects, and he has layered it on a base of clean sandalwood and very clean white musk.

It smells so incredibly fresh! I have rarely encountered a fragrance which is able to convey freshness as much as this does. I think this is because it has a huge mint note. But I must stress, this does not smell like toothpaste! It has star anise, cloves, cinnamon, and very green mint and geranium, with a smooth base of creamy sandalwood and polished white musk. Like fresh cotton sheets just washed.

It's actually not an easy smell to understand at first (like many of the Frédéric Malle creations). But I think if you want to convey a message of "fresh and serious" you could wear this. I also think it's floral enough to be worn by a woman (despite the name). This is one to try (especially for this price) for anyone who loves green nature and "fresh" smells. As with all Frédéric Malle's... the quality is exceptionally high and the projection is good. One to try for summer and all year round. Green, aromatic, minty and floral fresh!

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

Geranium Pour Monsieur
الجيرانيوم زهرة او وردة شبيه جدا رائحتها برائحة الروز ولكن تفرق اي الجيرانيوم انها اكثر انتعاشا مع لمحات ليمونية وعشبية اكثر من الروز

بداية العطر بداية منعشة فواحة والاجمل انها ليست حادة مزجعة الابرز هو النعنان برائحة الاشبه برائحة النعنان بالعلك او معجون الاسنان المصحوبة بالبروده المعهوده، تلك الرائحة تجدها تتناوب بالخروج والبروز مع الجيرانيوم والينسون بلمستة السويته الخافته
هذه البداية بشكل عام
قلب العطر مكون من القرنفل والقرفة كما هو واضح اعلاه ولم المحهم بصورتهم المعتادة في عطور التوابل فلاحدة بهم وقد تجد صعوبة في تحديد رائحة القرفه بشكلها الواضح وان كنت اميل لقول ان القرنفل اكثر وضوحة بشكل موزون وغير منفر. وقد تلمح من هناك من بعيد ضيف يخطوا خطواته المتأنية برفق لينضم ويعبر عن نفسة بوضوح انه المسك الحسي . هذا مالدي حتى هذه اللحظة ساضيف المزيد لاحقا
اردت اكن اكتب مالمحته لانه في الحقيقه ومن خلال تجاربي او تجربه للعطر قد تتيح اكتشاف نوتات اكثر من تجربته مرات اخرى؟ .

طبعاً لم يبهرني حقيقه وبدايته لا اجد فيها تلك الفخامه التي تستحق بخلاف بعض عطور هذه الدار الرائعه.
جمال الرائحة 7.5/10
التقييم مبدأي وساعيد تجربة العطر مرة ومره حتى اصل قناعة حوله
سبحان الله وبحمده سبحان الله العظيم، لاتنس ذكر الله والصلاة على النبي.

Marketcuts
Marketcuts

I was given an expired bottle, older version that had just passed it three years. This is the very first bottle of FM I've ever owned, truth be told VE was how I came to know of Malle and the concept of molecular distillation perfumes.
After my first spritz I've found this to be a sharp, clean and a clear quality peppermint. Then a sweet wintergreen vibe comes over. It's the type of scent that clears your throat and grabs your attention. It's a strong and definite masculine scent that holds up. Cool and refreshing with a ticklish warmth vibe. Not many perfumes last on me, but this one has. The most interesting thing noticed on the crowded bus is how you can check others glance over at You or simply listen to the sound of their noses sniff the air around You! Personally I've grown up wearing scents ever since I've been baptized! I've tried many highly rated and this is incredible, it truly is exceptional. Clearly a quality blend. I love it!

9.8 out of 10. It lacks 0.2 because it's not served in a gold bottle

slapdash
slapdash

I have only few words for Geranium Pour Monsieur.

It's about the juxtaposition of hot and cold: a cool - and in this case almost rapturous - mint and geranium cuddled by the warmth of clove and musk in a seamless transition. It feels like body heat under the covers in an air-conditioned bedroom.

Crisp, calm, comforting and relaxing.

For balmy nights and lazy mornings.

A masterful fragrance.

toto453
toto453

My signature Fragrance !! I love mint which is actually the main note with geraniol (like geranium).
A freshness, even coldness few minutes after application: incredible !
The top and middle note are mint & geraniol, then scent evolves to become incredibly warm, hard to describe but it stay for long long time in a confortable warm, exclusive and unique note.
This perfume is particular, not so easy to wear but original and different from others for miles !!

Edit: This is a real compliment getter !!!! I own a lot of perfumes and never gotten particularly complimented with, but when I went out with GPM, girls felt in love with it !! Now I wear it mainly for my girlfriend for special occasion :) she loves it !

edooardo
edooardo

M.A.S.T.E.R.P.I.E.C.E.
Unique. Rich.
Master Ropion captures the taste of the kiss in a lover´s mouth with mints..that delicious human breath smelling mint and sex.

Sophisticated Herbaceous peppermint
If you pay close attention, does not smell like chemicals, medicine, toothpaste nor plain mint bubblegum.

MIDDLE
+1hr - Smells like the cold water in a vase of fresh cut geraniums.
+2hs - The smell of a crowded club´s vapor sauna.
+3hrs - A drop of a spices cloves cinnamon pepper combo, like a small hint of Lutens Fille en Aiguilles without pine,but with geranium.

FINAL
+8hrs - white incense with really high doses of musks, pretty much as a wet dog.
+12hrs - in my shirt´s collar the beautiful and strong aroma of anise-peppermint lingers married with a bright geranium smell. Very long lasting fragrance.
I strongly suggest to apply it generously after the body milk of the same fragrance-line. It's worth buying the biggest flacon.
Geranium Pour Monsieur Frederic Malle, can´t live without it: 10/10

nonsisa
nonsisa

Arabian Knight is right but what makes it even worse is the quite medicinal cleaning agent note that comes with this.

The spiciness is interesting even though I can't detect cloves or cinnamon. The mint note isn't that great either.

On the other hand its pretty unique.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Minty 'just stepped out of the shower' freshness, but really, can you justify spending this kind of money to smell like you brushed your teeth?

Cloves, geranium, mint and anise. I'm sure there's someone rich enough to gargle with this stuff, but it ain't me.

Kanarata
Kanarata

This one is of outstanding quality, but simply not my fav from the house. It has a fresh opening of geranium/peppery minty fresh smell, a tad sweet & very well executed. It is my fav part of the fragrance, the heart is just ok to me as it develops because I get a strange scent of animalic mint which I find very weird, to me it smells like goat, yet is not completely unpleasant as the freshness is still there I'm not sure what that is. This is a very complexed scent as it gets to the drydown you need to stick your nose on the skin to detect it as it has no projection whatsoever at this point. That said it is a great scent just a bit too modern different and complexed for a fresh fragrance longevity is 6-8 hrs and sillage is poor to avarage on that one for the price tag, SAMPLE before buying!

williamvargas

just got a good sized sample of this to try, had been wanting to.. right off a very cool minty blast followed by a light musky scent. this is nice! I am very pleased with this fragrance and will be spending more time with it. I can see this as a night out fragrance just a cool presence and a guy that has got his act together. I see this as a more masculine type of scent. I think the dry down with all the notes makes this one appealing, you need to give it some time for the love of it. interesting good solid scent. you will smell clean and people will be of the opinion that you take care of yourself. everything is in place.. good to go.
one thing to add, I have read the toothpaste comments and I sort of get that and not in a bad way, but if you have ever used Brylcreem hair dressing ? that is what this sort of smells like to me , amplified though. mainly in the opening moments. just a thought.

Roge'
Roge'

I don't really feel inspired to review this product. Because I used this in a sample, i feel obligated to write something...I don't know...*shoulder shrug*...Even with all the bright and somewhat beautiful geranium and mint surrounding this frag, it kind of came off as an ordinary fragrance. This isn't an offering that's gonna mislead you with a string of fancy notes. It's pretty straight forward. It kinda smells like it was made with 4 notes. I understand the intent which is summer, manly, etc. blah blah blah....but something is missing here and i can't quite put my finger on it. If the longevity was worthwhile, maybe that would fan the flames of mediocrity. In the meantime, it's time for the public to stand up and hold these perfume houses accountable for these fleeting scents.

AndrzejK

on my skin just a mint toothpaste smell - unacceptable. smells cheap, toothpasty, simply bad.

Strange my former review disappeared from the site - do negative comments do so?

Arber Cami
Arber Cami

To me it smells all the time like Nivea crème nothing else...waste of money

SeverinoDuJour
SeverinoDuJour

Whoah - Extreme peppermint and geranium at first blast...but the geranium in this is extremely well done, not bitter, but a sweeter geranium. And FRESH as can be. The peppermint was so strong that it stayed in my nose and throat as if I had just eaten a peppermint lozenge. Peppermint does dry down, but just sits in the back of the bus, still there. I can see why people got a "toothpaste" feeling. But the geranium saves that from going all the way to Colgate (LOL).
Drydown: Geranium still in the soil, anise and clove, mixed with sandlewood and the faintest musk (nothing heavy or animalistic). I get no cinammon, but there is spiciness. And the peppermint is still hanging in. I get no incense.

So, in total, comes out strong, fresh peppermint and geranium, with sweetness. Then out come the spices and sandlewood, cloves and anise to create a unique, definitely clean, fresh masculine scent (not for a woman).

I like this very much, but the peppermint (mentholy strength) is too much for me. I was never a peppermint lover in any form, other than peppermint tea for a stomachache (which does work, by the way!).

Like it, but not enough to buy it (and at it's price, I'm not crestfallen)

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

Many niche ones aim above/below that, this is just right. Really specific flower - geranium and menthol, I am not sure the latter sticks to the former all the time, but I find the attempt of their friendship is creative in its best sense. Sometimes one Yes outweighs, well, the rest of Malle's plural No for me.

williamvargas

a very nice snappy fragrance, have been sampling some of their fragrances and so far I really enjoy musc raveguer and vetiver extrodinaire. so 3 out of three so far with love, this one is just crisp cool and a very clean slap in the face opener..and then it does back off a bit , but I am really enjoying the dry down, makes me keep smelling my wrists.. a very nice man fragrance , mint and very crisp and fresh..looking forward to French lover.. good stuff...
I can see why they are expensive, quality thru and thru with this house..
funny thing about this scent..

shawny
shawny

Wake up and smell the [Geranium]!
Upon application of Geranium, my nose is invigorated and my nostrils are tickled.
Fresh!
This is a beautiful, well crafted man's scent.
And the dry-down? Stupendous! I am blown away by the subtle musk and incense.
I plain old love this stuff.

sharkface
sharkface

If you're focused on the mint in this fragrance, you don't "get it". The mint lasts about five minutes and the cologne blossoms into a lightly floral, heavily woody clean smell that is mostly incense and sandalwood. I wouldn't say this is only appropriate for summer, once it comes down to the basenotes, this will work in any season.

It's a pretty perfect combination, some bracing mint to wake you up followed by wonderful incense/sandalwood that is completely appropriate for any situation.

pcurry1961
pcurry1961

Ok, I'm not very good at this describing fragrances by naming spices, vegetables and tree bark, but here goes; initially, it smells a bit like toothpaste mixed with mint leaves (checked with the wife, and she agrees). Then, after a short while...it smells the same. Later something else comes through...not sure what it is, but smells flowery/minty. Does not smell too good, and certainly not something I would expect a man to wear. I'll leave it an hour and let you know more.

Ok, it is still minty with a faint toothpaste whiff, but it is now far more flowery (I assume this is geranium).

A pleasant, perhaps a very pleasant fragrance that will probably grow on me. Despite my initially thoughts, I do think this is a fragrance for a man on a summers day/night, although I do prefer Malle's French Lover/Bois d'Orage.

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Very Fresh, Minty, and green.
I prefer the drydown to the opening and mid notes.

Far from the common "toothpaste" vibe..
However, I get a lot of Sandalwood in the beginning, giving the Geranium and Mint Absolute a stunning woody backbone. This is why I love the drydown because the woods do so much justice.

Imagine the drydown an extremely mellow mint sweetened and uplifted by cinnamon/cloves, on a very soft woody foundation. It reminds me of my face was, Signature Mint by Every Man Jack..smells on point with GPM's drydown.

The opening is far too fresh for me...almost overbearingly fresh. Many call it Chic...but Chic Freshness, to me, will always be attributed to the opening of Terre D'Hermes.

Definitely not for everyone. A summer scent for sure but far from a signature - may get redundant after a while.

I think the extravagant use of technology Ropion utilized in concocting GPM is a great step in fragrance design...but the results are nothing groundbreaking.

6/10...if it weren't for the pleasant drydown, I would've given this a 5.

I certainly was not expecting the bright minty opening of Frédéric Malle GERANIUM POUR MONSIEUR! Wow, it almost seems as though it's going to be mint cologne! But no, the geranium pretty much takes over after only a couple of minutes, although there is a lingering mint presence all the way to the drydown.

My next surprise is that this composition has been designated for men. Why? I ask most sincerely. I've seen comments on Demeter VINTAGE NATURALS GERANIUM to the effect that it is a masculine fragrance, so perhaps some people think of geranium as masculine? Well, I don't, and to me this perfume is absolutely unisex.

Is it my favorite rose geranium scent in the universe? No, I'm afraid not. This will probably be regarded as heresy--and I do love Dominique Ropion, I really do!--but I think that I prefer the Demeter with its patchouli and lavender rather than this minty geranium.

al.to
al.to

UGly
wrong buy for me.
I sell it

spirit966
spirit966

Very long lasting fragrance (12+ hours) but is more of a close to the skin scent.

Starts with balmy mint, just like tiger balm and slowly progresses to a clean white musk. The incense, cloves etc is there, but is more or less muted.

I am not sure if this is a EDT or EDC, as on the bottle it only says PV is 5%, so perhaps the weakest Malle in terms of concentration?

This is a really good choice for a guy in suit and tie.
Just like Terre de Hermes in my wardrobe. Neither are my favourite but both has its purpose.

Aromaticus
Aromaticus

Por fin la tengo.
Ahora mismo llevo puesta esta fragancia, me encanta.
Desde ya, y por descontado es una personalísima opinión, es mi Equipage de Hermés del Siglo XXI.
Ya era hora que una fragancia moderna, me hiciera salir de mis clásicos.
Aunque sus notas iniciales pueden parecer un poco "pasta de dientes" rapidamente cambia y se convierte en un aroma sutil pero perceptible, y su secado es rico, suntuoso.
Un nuevo clásico, y si no al tiempo!

Well, where to start from? First of all...
It happnes very once in while to find a perfume like Geranium Pour Monsieur. A complex fragrance construcetd on a solidly bold structure and expressing its beauty through a gentle and very discreet smell. As I'm usually not into mint fragrances, I got a bit disappointed by GPM's opening as it starts with a considerabole note of peppermint / mint that made me inevitably think about toothpaste or breath freshener bubblegum. But I was absolutely WRONG!!! Just right after the first drop of this fragrance touches your skin you immediately realize that mint is surrounded by a considerable dose of green bitterness that turns the whole thing to an odd (but absolutely interesting) mix of medicinal and soapy accords that are at the same time familiar and never smelled before (this is when geranium plays its part). A great example of how even a "fresh perfume" can be distinctive and absolutely compelling.

At this point I thought: "Ok, that's it! A great interpretation of mint!". But I was wrong again, as Geranium Pour Monsieur was just about to impress me even more with its multi facets structure. After the opening I just described be prepared for the drydown. A whole new scent. What started as a bitter mint composition turns into an incredibly outstanding finale made of a soapy and elegant cleaness that is as much delicate and discreet as it's light years far from beeing considered as inconsistent or generic. In this phase GPM stays very close to the skin but it remarkably catches your attention with its perfect balance between clean musks and resinoid incense. Simply marvellous.

The overall impression I had about this composition is of a complex semplicity. The same semplicity that makes of a single Alocasia leaf a fashinating and oustanding piece of natural art.
I'm so enthusiastic about GPM because I can still think that is possible to pretend a fresh perfume to be distinctive, unique and..melon or calone-free! Modern, elegant, solid, distinctive, versatile, classy, easy to wear, delightful, marvellous. Want more? Such thing happen not by accident but only as the work of genius!

Rating: 8.5-9/10

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I like this fragrance despite it being winter and this is deffo a summer fragrance for its cooling menthol, spearmint, peppermint dominant note.
This is as fresh as can get.
I imagine this being an excellent heatkiller during those hot and humid months.

Whoever finds "Guerlain pour homme" too sweet and too flat, this is a more complex, fresher, herbaceous and more sophisticated alternative.

Further down the drydown, I get a bit of sopy, dustry vanilla sweetness, contrasting by a sharp and salty note. But make no mistake, this is not a sweet fragrance, rather a nice and fresh, green, moist, Mohito Summer Cocktail on ice that will keep you refreshed for a long time!

Excellent summer fragrance!

guest_Eric64
guest_Eric64

I went to Barneys at Beverly Hills to take a sniff of FM Geranium Pour Monsieur. It smelt nice but it reminded me of a cologne I bought about 3 years ago. It's called Frank Los Angeles the first scent version (they had Frank #2 and #3). Frank has more sillage/staying power, but the notes are "siblings" of FM's Geranium. Based on on-line reviews, I was really revved up to buy but decided not to when realized the similarity, or almost exact sameness. Originality was my main reason when I first thought of purchasing Geranium...I guess that's not gonna happen. Frank Los Angeles stays longer. I believe I bought it for $65 (65ml bottle) back then.

King_of_England
King_of_England

It doesn't sound too promising, does it?
Someone was hinting at a perfumers meeting here last week, that Chinese geranium is a bit suspect as opposed to traditional sorts such as Egyptian, etc - this is a pity as I particularly like the geranium scent. The Chinese variety apparently flooded the market, but may not be the most interesting.
Also, the fragrance features the fashionable 'white musk', in common with similar descriptions of white cedar, white moss, and I even saw white vetiver. All means is the pure white crystals of synthetic musk which contrast with the inherent colour in the natural materials. Such chemicals go into washing powders etc by the ton. I don't know why that's so attractive.
Still the proof of the fragrance is in the smelling so I will report back to this forum when I've obtained some.