Designers » F-H » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

L'Eau d'Hiver Frederic Malle for women and men

L'Eau d'Hiver Frederic Malle for women and men
dislike

L'Eau d'Hiver Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures L'Eau d'Hiver Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures L'Eau d'Hiver Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures

L'Eau d'Hiver is a fragrant sketch of winter, created by Jean-Claude Ellena. White heliotrope which besides soft floral, possesses a mild citrusy note, interlaces with notes of water, with balmy powder of iris and a drop of honey. The fragrance was created in 2003.

Read The Winter is Over. What Did It Smell Like?

iris Jasmine Heliotrope Bergamot White Musk Angelica Honey

Apres l'Ondee
Toni Gard

L'Eau d'Hiver Fragrance Reviews

Cyrus Smith
Cyrus Smith

Simply beautiful. Everything has already been said... if you want to know a little bit more about Jean-Claude Ellena, the nose behind this gem:

Book suggestion:
« The Diary Of A Nose » (Journal d'un parfumeur).
A year or so in the life of Jean-Claude Ellena in the form of a journal/diary. Him commenting his research and travels and visiting bergamot orchards in Italy. Fascinating for all scents hunter!

sky hype
sky hype

A masterpiece. Atmospheric, associative, surreal. Works like time-machine. This takes you closer to understanding of existence. It smells like changes, like waiting, like desire, like eternal spring, like better days. It's very 'in-between'. If subconscious mind had a smell that would be it.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

I tried this on just randomly and forgot about it. Then I kepts smelling something very pleasant and recalled it was Malle's Hiver.

I cant pick out what is the composition of this baby, but it is a MUST TRY. Very pleasing and socially clean and fresh and luxurious. Not over-the-top but understated elegance.

More of a day time and wonderful for something to spray after a shower or bed time. So pleasant nice to even spray the sheets.

I did not accept to like this.
I see the comparison to L'heure blue but this is nothing like it this is much much better and that is hard for me to say because I have a love and respect for Guerlain and Not a Maller Ethusiast.
Very very nice. Try it you just may like it.

dsty
dsty

The first word that comes to mind to describe l'Eau d'Hiver is soft. It's an extremely soft , almost fluffy floral musk. As has been mentioned before, it calls to mind cashmere sweaters and snowy landscapes (although that last one might just be the suggestion of the name, of course).

It's very nice, but there's some note in it that's putting me off a little bit. The heliotropes, maybe? It's especially strong in the opening and heart, when the fragrance is quite powdery, which is a quality I normally quite like, but here it doesn't really work for me. Maybe this works better in very cold temperatures; I'll be sure to test it again in a couple of months. Anyway, for now I vastly prefer the drydown: after a couple of hours, the note that bothers me retreats into the background and is replaced by a woodier, sweeter kind of musk that I enjoy very much.

I have some of my sample left, and before I got to the drydown I was quite convinced I wouldn't ever need any more of this perfume. Now, however, I'm curious to see if I couldn't grow to like this a lot more during the real winter. Time will tell!

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

مسكي بودري (بشكل ناعم)مع لمحات خفيفة جدا سويتية
لا جديد قد تجد مثلة الكثير والكثير في عطور الديزاين
البرقموت ناعم والمسك وكل نوتات العطر مناسب كثيرا للنساء وتحديد تلك التي تبحث عن رائحة المسك الحسي الناعم مع لمحات باودرية مخملية

lovepie
lovepie

This is my absolute favorite, and to go perfume, it is fresh and poetic and clean and refreshing! Delicate and not very long lasting, but it is worth every cents!

casandracox
casandracox

Absolutely my favorite fragrance ever. I can't say anything more than it's completely classy but comforting at the same time.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

I smell licorice, violet, almond, a bit citrus...
This is powdery, cold and very sexy.
Not similar to anything I ever smelled before actually.

In Sweden we have a candy called "Käck Citrus", which smells similar to this, haha. It`s a lemony licorice fudge.

Very nice, but not something I woud buy, due to the unnecessaryly big price tag. Really, the prices on Malle perfumes can`t be motivated.

Alasse
Alasse

My ideal winter perfume. You have to love marzipan to appreciate this one though.

miaou
miaou

If you like Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche, i bet you'll like this. I feel the same JC Ellena's signature dry wild herbs' bitterness here.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Another Jean-Claude Ellena type, but less subtle than many of his creations. This fragrance has a distinct opening with anise and I smell ambrette also. These notes are prominent for quite a while and then the angelica, citrus and the soft jasmine to form a more likeable combination. The waxiness of the heliotrope is there from the beginning as well.

I really liked this the first time I tried it, but on further trials I changed my mind. That funky ambrette and anise with too much musk makes the scent fluffy and cottony like snowflakes, which was probably the intent of the perfumer. But the notes that make it fluffy - the ambrette and the musk become more prominent to me each time I wear this scent and the less I like it. Definitely no bottle in my future.

williamvargas
williamvargas

I think this is a great scent...a little more powder to it as the fragrance develops, I think it is a great scent for people to sniff on you, but not sure I would wear this for me ? maybe, but I think it would smell wonderful on a woman and not age specific either. I will give it some more time to see if I might change my feel for it.
this is so non offensive though..i usually like a little more oomph. it seems to be more of a skin scent or reminds me of a very nice creamy scent similar to a lotion. my take is it leans more feminine than I like for myself. I would have to say the scent would be welcome to me on women and maybe I would not be surprised if a man wore it? I will give this sample to my wife to try, no doubt Fredric malle quality is there, always is on everything I have tried from this house. I would still check it out though for a guy to answer for yourself. you may disagree and that is cool.
updated:
I did get complimented on it though, but the comment from a woman was that she and another woman were commenting that I smelled wonderful, and they thought it would smell great on women ( not knowing it is a unisex fragrance ) so I decided to give her my sample since she liked it so much. glad I could share my little hobby..

lgray96
lgray96

I agree with others who have commented on the anisic opening - it's very restrained and melancholy. As it develops, it becomes a pale, powdery almond and this powderiness just reminds me of 'Midnight in Paris' by Van Cleef & Arpels - definitely the same type of fragrance (if a bit quieter) and can be worn by men or women just like MiP. If you like that fragrance, this will almost certainly be for you...

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

This is the perfect skin scent: not sweet, lightly powdered almond, clean warm skin and sunny day! Based on the previous reviews, I guess, it behaves differently on each skin - on me, it's a barely there skin scent, as if I don't wear any perfume at all, just a light and soft aura of scent. I never thought much about this perfume, but it makes me feel happy somehow. The downside is that you probably have to re-apply throughout the day, but I don't mind)

ErinBerry
ErinBerry

First smells like rubbing alcohol, then like cumin on my skin. Weird.

yvashche
yvashche

I had high hopes for this. Really disgusting. Had to wash it off.

lisa o
lisa o

I feel peace wearing L'Eau d'Hiver....
it's very angelica-driven, heliotropin-sweet with a shiny iris that gives it it's powdery quality. what some describe as "cumin" I think is an impression of an anisic dill-grain note that I think is not really part of the composition and results of heliotropin+angelica...
if you don't like the specific aroma of angelica, stay away (it's nearly as strong as in "angeliques sous la pluie"). I like angelica and I enjoy this a lot.
probably not a sexy perfume, or a perfume to impress, but this is in my opinion not the task here. it's good to wear to feel calm and peaceful.

spidola
spidola

As a single bare tree on a snow-covered field listening the wind whistling between his frozen branches in an eternal twilight.... This is the feeling I’m getting from this perfume. There are not mentioned any woody notes, but on my skin I smell them a lot. Also, I smell the bergamot and the heliotrope in the opening and the heliotrope-iris-musk in the dry down. But all the composition is like suppressed. It makes me feel very lonely, forgot and sad. It’s a nice inoffensive scent, but I don’t like the melancholic vibe it gives me…It’s strange to say it, but even the silage and longevity seem to be frozen, these are very weak on my skin.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

The heliotrope note, on my skin, was the overwhelming and constant scent. It was warm, and powdery, and soft, but the sweetness of the heliotrope was a bit much. Reminded me of Guerlain l'heure bleu, and I did keep feeling there might be an anis note somewhere under there, but it was not a clear one. Nice, worth the sample vial, but not full bottle worthy for me.

silviaci
silviaci

Honestly, I don't get this, and it's sad because I really appreciate Jean Claude Ellena's perfect creations. This one may be perfect, and I was hopeful for the notes, because they happen to be among my favourite: especially the heliotrope, the honey and the mysterious, raw but vibrant angelica, which alone can turn any fragrance into a masterpiece (I'm thinking AG's La Vanille here, but also Angeliques sous la pluie).
Unfortunately, L'Eau d'Hiver turns all musky-heliotropy flat on my skin and no matter how deep I inhale or how much I apply, the final effect is unpleasant. I may even define it cloying, if it had more sillage or staying power, which is close to nihil.
So yes, it's definitely worth trying if your skin chemistry works better with it, but I was unlucky with this.

Jean B Grenouille
Jean B Grenouille

Alberto, try combining it with its body cream or apply over and odourless moisturiser

alberto1964
alberto1964

Light as snow, soft as cotton, pleasant feeling of well-being.....gooood but not for me.

Germany
Germany

Easy to wear skin scent! Really love this one. It's just the perfect everyday perfume. You can smell the iris and Bergamotte in the beginning for a fresh blast of citrus but then it right away warms up into a warm cozy tonka balmy scent. No tonka in this no benzoin either but it smells of it to me. It is the combination of heliotrope and musk with the honey giving that warm balmy almond , marzipan smell, its delightful and addictive ,
This is a very light perfume so you can easily get away with 3 to 4 sprays , it does stay for a long time but it doesn't project much, yet when people come close you sure are in for compliments. Soft but gourgous. Clean but warm!!
This is comparable to Prada iris EDP and Prada iris absolue , smells very different but those are the only two perfumes that I can think of that smell sort of like l'eau d'hiver.

Update , one of my favourite from Malle so far.Gorgeous easy to wear iris.
Becoming my favourite. Smells like the last traces of winter , a little snow left on the ground with the sun melting the last bits away. Its Springtime. The smell of early spring. I so love it.

JToronto
JToronto

I have loved this fragrance for over a year now and secretly visit it regularly at the perfume counter. I perceive it as delicate, feminine, nuanced, but with the slight bitter almond whiff of cyanide - a fragile but slightly dangerous beauty. Marzipan with a steel blade at its heart. Imagine my surprise to discover recently that Frederic Malle has packaged it in a coffret of fragrances for men! I am truly a believer that scents need not be "male" or "female" - each should wear what they love - but this one felt so very feminine to me. Fascinating. ah, to meet the man who wears it....

Ditta70
Ditta70

Many of you, dear Fragranticans wrote lovely and clever things about this etheral beauty, so I do not even try... But if I say, that this is the very first perfume for which I am ready to pay 95 GBP for 50 ml, does it convey how much I fell in love with it? It does to me...;-)

Update 21/01/2014
I did not have to splash out in the end, as a sweet, dear friend of mine presented me with a bottle for Christmas. And I love both him and the perfume to bits. To me it is a shimmering, spacious winter landscape in a dream, where I am throwing snowballs with angels...a huge snowball is approaching, and when it hits me, it turns out to be lovely soft and warm. I adore this fragrance, well done, Monsieur Ellena, and merci!

Shifts
Shifts

After yesterday's fragrance store visit, I came home with the body lotion of this Malle fragrance. I love many different styles of fragrances, but some that impresses me the most are the extremely sheer and barely-just-there. Jean-Claude Ellena is supposedly the master of this, but too often I'm left with the feeling of "Emperor's New Clothes". It almost feel sacrilegious to say… But with Eau d'Hiver he nailed it (and Bigarade Concentrée obviously)!

l'Eau d'Hiver don't really give me the impression of winter, but one of tranquility, sheerness, lightness, coolness. I guess they all could be words to describe winter, heh. Upon first application the heliotrope is the note my nose focus on right away, which together with the iris, create an accord I'd describe as chalk or limestone. The honey is there which gives it an ever so slight fecal impression – a touch I love (it doesn't last though). With time it turns more soft flowery (ok, heliotrope is a flower too).

If I'm to associate with other fragrances, the first one that came to mind was l'Homme de Cœur by Yann Vasnier for Divine. They are not really similar, but they share the iris and the cold, chalky greyness in their openings. Into l'Eau d'Hiver's drydown, another more powerful creation comes to mind: Absolue pour le Matin from Maison Françis Kurkdjian. That one is a strong, lasting fragrance, but if it was toned down considerably it would come close to the Malle to me. Could there be violet hiding in l'Eau d'Hiver that give this resemblance?

fjelluft
fjelluft

Lovely, soft and warm but still fresh. Im not a woody-spicy-oriental person. So this one is veeery nice. I just wore it today on a crispy , chilly autumn morning and it warmed me up. Reminds me of Christmas a little bit. I absolutely agree about this almondy, or as I call it "warm milk" something in the background.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Very much like Apres L'Ondee in the opening - heliotrope and almonds, but different than Al'O with a bit of light musk. The dry down is similar to Prada's Infusion d'Iris on my skin. Lovely, clean, soft, and definitely a crowd-pleaser. I don't know that it reminds me of winter, however. I usually go for heavy, spicy, and deep in the winter.

coffeeandgrace
coffeeandgrace

I'm finding that I really love this fragrance. I dismissed it the last time I purchased a fragrance at Barney's, opting instead for Byredo's Gypsy Water. I thought this one to initially smell ok, like something clean, but nothing special. I should have waited longer for it to develop.

It's truly beautiful. It does play close to the skin, but I don't want to wear something that enters a room before me.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

*The opening is slightly herbal and very citrusy - this part goes away quickly.

Then, the iris and heliotrope give the scent a powdery face, also soft and warm.

Here i think "warm" means "hot"... My skin was a little bit heated...lol
Heliotrope + musc could give this feeling

This is a minimalistic scent, very well done with good ingredients (as always by FM). From beginning to the middle it is very good for me... Then, when drydown comes, ohhh, too simple: only musc! Longeviyty were not good on me.

It evokes gray days, cloud skies, sadness BUT i woudl say also it is very confortable and easy to wear and made from good quality!

Well .. But it could be better, IMO.

Not personal...

:D

florafauna
florafauna

a clean powdery scent, too bad it lasted only 10 mins on my skin. :(

Schagris
Schagris

My signature perfume. Many reviewers here have said that the fragrance is more a piece of art than something to wear everyday, I happen to have a different opinion. I believe "L'Eau d'Hiver" is a perfect everyday wear. It's subtle, classy, unoffensive. I am yet to meet a person who says they don't like it on me. In fact, it's a "complement monster")) Which is why I, too, disagree with whose who say this perfume is not for others to appreciate and it doesn't last long. True, it sits close to skin and doesn't anounce your arrival before you actually enter the room (which is good, isn't it?). Nontheless, I can smell the fragrance all day (no reapplications) and people notice it on me when they stay close.

On the other hand, I do agree, it is a work of art, no doubt.

A work of art suiatable for everyday wear. To me, it's perfect!

ladykarl
ladykarl

L Eau d Hiver
Is so special and soft and delicate
stays so close to your skin
it makes me think of holding a baby
or whispering into the ear of a loved one
complete intimacy
may be even telepathy
Sweetness and kindness in a bottle
i dont even know what else to say
makes me feel innocent
and eternal
transported
weightless
floating on a feather

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is a cool white minty heliotrope. One of the loveliest I have seen. Many lovely notes here combine in a most beautiful powdery way...I also love the iris, musk and angelica, a new note for me I am really growing quite fond of. I don't find this for men very much, it's quite feminine to me.

Beautiful wintery scent that warms up with time thanks to the honey. Soft and plush like a gorgeous bouquet of fresh velvety flowers, but also frosty and delicate like tiny intricate fresh falling snowflakes. Frederic Malle perfumes are true high quality and class.

GinaTheresa
GinaTheresa

Mina in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

annettepe
annettepe

my mum has this fragrance and i borrow it from her all the time. its honestly one of the most high class scents out there thats so subtle, ,watery, woody, clean and fresh but not necessarily in a citrus or lemon way. its such a unique scent that i think not everyone would like. it kind of reminds me of a luxurious smelling soap.

to me it smells like unique flowers (not the usual rose or gardenia), soft white musk and woody undertones like walking in the forest on a cold winter day. it also has very faint sweetness to it that i think might be the honey that makes the fragrance so comforting. its quiet powdery too throughout in a very pleasant way not the baby powder type whatsoever. its such a delicate scent though the staying power and sillage is not that great. the longevity for this is about 2.5 hours and the smell lingers very closely on the skin.

Birdboy48
Birdboy48

As a guy, I recieved a number of samples directly from Malle. All the Malle big guns...and this one.

I like fragrances that project and have a strong charactor, and Malle has several of this type. So imagine my surprise when this one turned out to be the one I finally purchased.

Big on comfort and serenity, and a safe wear for occasions where you may not want to make a big personal statement, and reasonable for fellows to wear as well.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Everything good that should be mentioned has been said. I agree with all of it. I keep this along with my other perfumes in a fridge. When first sprayed on, there is a quick burst of chilly, metallic, astringent air that just as quickly dissipates and envelopes you in a warm hug. It reminds me of pub crawls in university life back in Dublin, where we would run out in next to nothing, on a dare, in the middle of winter, before racing back into the cheery warmth of the Irish pub and into the rough comfort of my then boyfriend's coat which was a tad musky. I agree that this is a skin scent although it lasts a good while, I just have to keep reactivating it by breathing warm air on my perfumed bits. A soft and mildly sweet scent that carries a refined air. Miles away in behaviour from Carnal Flower.

DresdenDoll

2nd review: I got a decant of this beauty because I couldn't wait to afford a full bottle and now my love has been dented somewhat. This does smell beautiful - so so beautiful. BUT. It has no projection and I mean none. I doused myself in the decant, like 5-6 sprays and just nothing. On the skin it does genuinely last, but you have to press your nose to it to smell it. So now I'm not so sure! Gosh, it's annoying.

L'Eau D'Hiver is my first Frederick Malle purchase. It's an unusual purchase for me because it's really a skin scent, but it's so soft and beautiful that I couldn't help myself.

It actually reminds me of when I put my hand out, and tiny little snowflakes fall on my hand and melt. The perfume starts out cool and fresh, with bergamot, but it quickly becomes warm and cuddly. Something about it is creamy, like white chocolate. Don't get me wrong--it doesn't smell like white chocolate, but it reminds me of white chocolate melting in my mouth.

L'Eau D'Hiver might be similar to Prada's Iris Infusion Absolute, but instead of drying down to a resinous vanilla like that one does, it maintains it's powdery heliotrope profile throughout.

Imagine a new blanket of snow, no footprints yet. I like the fact that it's sweet, but not vanilla. I also like the bit of green I smell that gives it a crisp sensation, although this green note is really almost undetectable. This fragrance is the perfect eau for winter--

"Walking in a winter Wonderland...."

Wow. Just wow.
This was recommended to me in Frederic Malle's questionaire, and I duly proceed to try it, despite my initial interest being in Musc Ravageur. My goodness was I wrong.
The first thing I thought when I smelled this was 'It's perfect.'
It opens green and fresh and I could smell the angelica quite distinctly. Slowly slowly the flowers bloom, in particular the heliotrope and this just becomes the most beautiful fragrance. It's delicately floral, dainty and fresh, and softly powdery with a breath of sweetness. It's just perfect. All the notes are there, blended immaculately. This is what I wanted from Apres L'Ondee but didn't get. It's romantic and feminine yet everything is measured. This is reserved and lady-like.
Really it's made me reconsider my signature scent, or even wanting to wear a different scent ever again.
Being so dainty, it stays close to the skin, though the staying power seems actually quite good. Big sillage just isn't what this fragrance is about. I could happily drown in this and know that it will never be too much. I just love it. I am now aching to get my hands on a bottle and it just jumped the queue of my want list. Jean Claude Ellena, you have finally made a lasting impression on me. And bless you Francois at Frederic Malle for recommending this to me.

daniela3
daniela3

A light, transparent, delicate, tender whispering fragrance thought for grown up people but evoking all the same a nostalgic, magic winter tale: elegant, well balanced, powdery, it reminds me Un Bois Farine, always by the same Nose and perhaps vaguely 'Apres l'Ondée'; built up around some notes I really love such as heliotrope, and iris but on my skin I could perceive even vanilla and a touch of almond (???). A caressing touch which makes me think to the first movement of the Winter Concert by Vivaldi.... but its enchantment lasts unfortunately not too much (being a spell.... it cannot help!) leaving a pale, sweet memory. Normally when a perfume of such a high standard leaves me too soon I'm not very indulgent but not here, this is such a beautiful fragrance so that I can easily forgive it. Notwithstanding all this,L' Eau d'Hiver is a fragrance that in my opinion, can suit both 'girls' BUT ALSO 'boys' as well.

p.s. If you chance to get inside any boutiques dealing with this brand, let's have a go just to expand your knowledge about the sublime art of perfumery, still alive!

guido2663
guido2663

Not for me, but girls that's great..... in winter!

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Elegant light woody heliotrope powdery floral that is sheer, clean and warm somehow. Wears close to the skin. Great longevity. Big price tag. Try it before you buy it. You can find spray vials of this on eBay sometimes and of course you can check The Perfumed Court

Jellybean
Jellybean

minty, powdery unisex fragrance.
clean, fresh, floral and musky.
All notes listed are easily detectable
drydown is softer and stays close to the skin.
L'Hiver meant for winter but this perfume would be a great wear for hot weather: It will keep yah smelling clean and fresh!

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Here's what I wrote on my blog:

This fragrance to me is art...not something I would wear as a signature or as part of my daily rotation. I wear this when I want to remind myself of how a scent can truly reflect the world and all its oddities. I wear this when I am in the mood to reflect.

With that said, for many this may not be such a great reference..but just try your best to picture it...because this fragrance took quite a while for me to fathom...when I finally did come to some conclusion, I realized the genius that is M. Ellena:

In an unshaken snow globe, picture Central Park covered in snow.. In the center lies a patch of flowers..heliotrope and iris...untouched by snow...but brushed only by a gentle, cool, tranquil breeze. The light winds capture the floral essence and carry it with them. Drizzle honey around the patch. Vaporize a handful of almonds and unleash this air into this kingdom of serenity. Shake the globe, as best you can and watch all the notes fall onto this patch.

The genius here is how the notes not only give rise to varying temperatures but those same notes have a warming effect later. The Heliotrope and Iris truly do bring about this cool yet melancholy sensation..very introspective. The honey warms the concoction extremely well. The almond adds to the sweetness but also gives an airiness to the fragrance. Magical yet realistic. Strange but inviting. Complex yet comprehensible. Cozy.

Give this a try because every interpretation is unique and requires one's own experiences. Again to me this is not something I would wear often. It can be worn in any season, so extremely versatile. To me it is the perfect compliment to a cool spring day or any moment in the winter. I wear this for myself, and could care less if others notice. (note: no one will notice because projection and longevity are not good at all..at least on my skin and clothes..even with lotion)!

As an art piece: 10/10

As a fragrance for mundane use: 5/10

bluemusic23
bluemusic23

On paper: absolutely gorgeous and unique.
On me: First 30 minutes: even more wonderful -- unlike anything else I have ever worn, perfect balance of warm and cool. Fresh yet very comforting. I was ready to make it my signature scent!
UNFORTUNATELY
On me the iris becomes more and more apparent, to the exclusion of the other base notes.
After about 4 hours, it smelled like a commercial feminine hygiene product. Longevity is decent -- after 6 hours, I finally gave up and had to wash it off with baking soda.
This is one scent I wish were *MORE* linear. Maybe I will try spraying clothes to see if I can avoid the unfortunate drydown for me.
Definitely test for a whole day before purchasing!

Frédéric Malle L'EAU D'HIVER is my third angelica and second J.C. Ellena perfume from this house, and it is my favorite in both categories! The angelica here is fragile and light and sweetened by equally delicate purple flowers, heliotrope and iris. This composition is right up my alley: powdery, floral, slightly sweet with a dash of green, and the overall extremely well-blended final effect seems 100% natural to my nose.

L'EAU D'HIVER seems more feminine than masculine to me, and I have to say that I find it somewhat closer to Prada INFUSION D'IRIS than to Guerlain APRES L'ONDEE, given the relative strengths of the iris note. Whatever its ultimate source of inspiration may have been, this perfume is a beauty!

Heavenly, smooth, transparent, clean, watery, refined, spohisticated, impeccable, gentle, whispered, elegant...sexless.

Have you ever wondered how heliotrope smells like? Here it is in all its glory with just a little addition of other flowers and white musk. Not my cup of tea but I can't deny this iteraton of the heliotrope is terrific. Just next to Apres L'Ondèe.

mymlan
mymlan

A mediative transparent and utterly beautiful fragrance that I could shower myself with for days, if I thought It was worth the doe. One 100 ml bottle costs around 140 euro, and my fear is that the bottle won't last that long as this fragrance appears like a light cologne. It reminds me of Apres l'Ondee minus the anise in Apres. Super beautiful but very very light. Anyway, it's on my wishlist :).

Heverton
Heverton

L'eau d'Hiver has the typical Ellena's DNA.

This one starts out with a semi-sweet floral aspect. Very transparent, very bright, as expected from Ellena. A very delicate and well constructed fragrance.

Like many here has described and I agree, L'eau d'Hiver is like drinking a cup of floral tea sweetened with a little bit of honey and vanilla essence in a not so typical sunny morning in the winter, near a river and a not so far away orris garden.

An excellent fragrance that does not deserves a thumbs down just because it lacks longevity.

Arvydas
Arvydas

It's Ok'. Very light, very soft, unique

jdfreitas
jdfreitas

L'Eau d'Hiver is my absolute favourite. Understated yet with so much character. I love how clean it feels, cold and crisp as a winter day. The only problem for me is that it doesn't last on me at all.

Frunkinator
Frunkinator

L'eau D'Hiver is a... Sweet, Transparent honey suckle and iris fragrance. Sitting on a base of almond, it creates an equisitely smooth yet sparkling sweet aura around you that is perfect year round. It somehow gives off a warming effect with a refreshingly sweet almond note. Many people feel it's a skin scent, but to be totally honest...it projects appx 1 person away, and lasts a good 7 hours on me. At the very least a must try. If you enjoy overall sweet fragrances and can deal with Jean Claude Ellenas transparent style, then you will love this. But for most, this will just be a pleasant scent. And I understand, and respect that.
Did I mention... I Love it!

al.to
al.to

someone has written l'eau d'hiver is melancholy in a bottle.
i agree.
this is a pearl:when I read the notes I think this is too sweet a sugary for teen!
I'm wrong totally!
pale sunny in desolated landscape in a winter day.
heating up yes but with lightness and intimately.
unisex for a dreamy man or woman
wear it for yourself

A masterpiece

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Pure lightness, this is like a heightened clean skin scent. Almost zero sillage, this is one to wear just for yourself. The fragrance doesn't last long on me, and doesn't have enough of the oomph of other Frederic Malle perfumes for me to invest, but this was very pleasant to sample.

Aromaticus
Aromaticus

No soy un gran fan de JC Ellena.
Cuando acierta es muy bueno, pero cuando falla, como en este perfume, mas valdria que se dedicase a ambientadores y velas de olor.
Este "churro" para F.Malle es insoportable, insufrible.

midsummer
midsummer

This scent is much more of a piece of art than something I'd wear every day. It feels very fresh and light from beginning to end - on me it dries down to a very aromatic, almost minty note. It's more masculine than feminine to me, but I enjoyed it a lot while it lasted - unfortunately, it lasts a very short time.

spirit966
spirit966

If it wasn't for the weak projection....

This is a very good 'mood scent'. Peaceful, calm and tranquil. Very white. But no you can smell you!

I wear this at night after taking a shower - but for the price, I may not buy another bottle.

For a 'mood scent' has anyone here tried Gucci Pour Homme II or Chanel Allure Edition Blanche? Both smell different but may have similar effects.

Ambrosia8
Ambrosia8

somewhat similar in its softness and almond-like quality to another Ellena composition; bois farine. I love them both, but find Bois farine less common and more interesting. Still, l'eau d'hiver is a great daytime fragrance, though a much more summery scent
for me, despite its name...

A slightly peppery, light cool floral without being in any way sweet, lush, cloying or really terribly floral. It's a cool somehow white fragrance, smooth and sheer, like softly scented musk soap. I really like it.

PhiloSniffía
PhiloSniffía

This perfume made me think in parallels.

Firstly, this is overtly meant to be an homage to Guerlain's 'Après L’Ondée', which I currently have on my other wrist. Aside from the heliotrope, though, I don't see (sorry, sniff) much in common. 'Après L’Ondée' is far more 'blue', an explosion of cerulean dust in a newly-acquired antique, turn-of-the-century powder box; with no almonds inside said box (for me).

Instead, the milky, honey-esque quality to 'L'Eau D'Hiver' reminded me, strangely, of Thierry Mugler's 'Dis Moi, Miroir', of the Mirror Mirror Collection. They have the honey, milk and jasmine in common. I get the citrus note in the opening of 'L'Eau D'Hiver',and perhaps a little too much alcohol, after which the heart of this turns into the twin of Etro's 'Heliotrope', on my skin; mainly almond and white musk, close to the skin, though with impressive sillage, as others have mentioned. I do prefer this to Etro's 'Heliotrope'-the bergamot note, white musk and the white floral note prevent it from being too 'almond cookie'. And, at points, the blue fog lifts to reveal a wonderful orris and jasmine clarity.

The heart is dominated by the almond for me, so if you're an almond fan (which I am not, apart from the odd crave) you'll love this! A nice, comforting fragrance for a winter night.

UPDATE: See above for the jasmine clarity: the fog has indeed lifted. This is now much colder; the bergamot, jasmine and angelica shining through the heliotrope to delightfully refreshing results.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I am huge fan of all things Frederic Malle. This one is a more subtle daytime scent, I would say: Smells of warm, creamy, milky water with toasted almonds and a touch of honey or sugar.

There is also some faint green note (cut grass? angelica?) but the so-called white Heliotrope is ever so shy and barely noticeable.

I picture walking along a sunny winter day along a riverbed, everything covered in snow but it isn't cold and your body is warm and the sun makes the snow and ice and riverbed smell of milk, almond, and something on the riverbed is blooming and oozes some faint floral scent (white helitrope).

Very well composed, creamy, mild and clean!

Excellent daytime wear for anytime of year.

sherry99
sherry99

A nice,clean,fresh,romantic and unique scent,very nice unisex but i still prefer this on my Girl friend, indeed i don't want to smell like her,But if i'm option less i won't mind wearing at the same time, so Cool perfume.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

One of my new perfume loves...I discovered it only at 4th sniff..first it was so light , nearly undetectable and I stuffed my sample away..only to try it again months later as I ve fallen in love with the Iris note recently..and here it was with a bang: first a great soft watery almond and then an half hour later:a gorgeous creamy cold iris with the heavenly heliotrope and some honey in your face..soo chameleon like..it changes every 20 minutes..sometimes I got only almonds, sometimes my beloved iris alone, at some point all together!! and then the powdery flora drydown..it made me ache for more.. so I sprayed again after 4 hours to relive the experience .I ve not met any other fragrance like that:So many layers , so many hidden secrets , my words are not enought..only for the seekers of you..not for the ones who like their fragrances screaming at them all the time:)

falovalo
falovalo

This does have a sweet quality to it, reminding me at first of Escada Magnestism for women. Once it wears for a while though the powdery iris comes through. For a few seconds I thought I smelled honeysuckle, sadly it was fleeting.

L'eau d'Hiver is very soft, almost a skinscent. While I think it's nice, it's not for me.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

When I wear this, it tells me what to say, and this is just a little part of it:
The Angel’s wings caught in
the airlock door.
Floor polish and faded incense,
Spilled holy water, and the everlasting candle,
A few white feathers on the threshold
sparkle dust on the brass door handle.
A pale young girl with violet eyes.
Reads the written word and cries,
For her world has been forgotten,
Soapy, chaste, the allure of cotton,
White Lace and ribbon curls dishevelled
Translucent in the early morning light.
Where, on this timeline
Did I choose
To doubt the rumour
to dip my finger into the
Ooze,
To taste the bitter poison?
And how moreish it is,
how we fear yet relish
the grotesque toxin.

Grotesque it aint, but it's a ghostly cocktail instubstantial yet terrifyingly real, an echo of a memory you keep in a box, lest its kryptonite power strip you of your resolve.

Buy a bottle.

9154mf
9154mf

This is a very light fragrance but something in it annoys me, its smells like a very soft verbena (the citrus). I read the notes and it sounds wonderful, but this does absolutely nothing for me. The second time I tried this I can now smell the iris powder, that is the only aspect I like so I'm gonna keep it on and see what develops.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I got a tester in a swap and sprayed it on right away, without reading any of the notes or the reviews here. I kept thinking I smelled cherries in L'Eau d'Hiver. It was somehow familiar, though I hadn't sniffed it before. After reading about it, I think now that I was flashing back to the classic cherry-almond scent of the United States: Jergen's Hand Lotion. I didn't realize I was getting just the almonds from that classic lotion scent. There are actually no cherries in L'Eau d'Hiver.

L'Eau d'Hiver is almost sweet but somehow stops on a dime just before it gets there. There is something in it that is almost a delicious almond cookie covered with powdered sugar, but alas, not quite. It's like the cookie was baked without the use of any sweetener.

The iris is the most detectible floral to my nose and reminds me a bit of the iris from Delrae's Mythique. I don't detect the other notes individually.

I was very impressed by this fragrance's ability to stay so close to the skin, but last so long. I couldn't smell it at all unless I lifted my wrist to my nose. It has minimal sillage. However, I could still detect it after 12 hours, and the scent didn't appear to have faded or evolved that much during the elapsed time.

The effect of this fragrance is interesting, but something in it reminds me of an inexpensive hand soap dispensed in a public restroom. It has a touch of something cold and industrial about it. Worth a try, but ultimately not for me.

Robert White
Robert White

Coming out of Apres l'Ondee territory, this is the first Jean-Claude Ellena creation that really made me sit up and take notice, and it's my favorite. Sweet, powdery almonds and fresh mimosa, truly feminine without going the usual tried and true routes of girlyness, sluttishness, or old-ladyism. It produced instant visual associations for me, things like the original Anais-Anais promo photos; you remember, pallid, anemic young beauties seen through cheesecloth, all perfect ivory skin and grey eyeshadow; mist rising ar dawn from a cool Irish lake, in fact, the view behind my ex-wife's uncle's house in Wicklow, where Stanley Kubrick filmed the last half of Barry Lyndon, and Marisa Berenson's vacant, unearthly, wraith-like beauty in taht film. This is a perfume of averted glances, buried longings, and long silences, ideal for the type of young woman who spends a lot of time staring out of her window at the rain. I could fall in love with a woman wearing this, but I doubt that anything woud be forthcoming in return. Otherworldly floral beauty, virtually devoid of sexuality. I usually go for something with a little bump and grind, a little more junk in the trunk, but this is a superb perfume, paradovically ethereal and forceful at the same time. If I loved a woman who wore this and she spurned me, I'd drown myself. What a load of romantic bullshit, eh?

essija
essija

Soft and fleeting on my skin. I get too much honey and hint of Jasmine which I cannot wear. I don't see how this could offend anyone and with that in mind it is easily forgotten. I have found too many other iris scents that smell better in my opionion. I just like my scent to be louder and spicier than this. Though I do still love FM.

mellybee
mellybee

L'Eau D'Hiver is a romantic fragrance transports you to a wintery day when the weather is warm.

It captures the essence of snow, its transparence is expressed through the usage of the iris note (cold notes are typical of iris scents) folded into the white softness of almond and heliotrope, enveloping the wearer in warmth.
If L'Eau D'Hiver were a garment, it would be your warmest most luxurious cashmere sweater or scarf.
To my surprise I enjoyed the almond in this fragrance.

The white musk accords in the drydown add also a crisp effect to the fragrance and I detect powder too.

flannelman
flannelman

L'eau d'hiver is described by Elena as an "Eau chaude" (warm water), and there is certainly such an aspect in this fragrance. This is a very delicate scent indeed and in a way it makes me think of a very light, (luke-)warm flowery tea to which a spoonful of honey has been added. Honey is definitely the note I get the most often. It is however very well balanced, not too sweet, and not over-bearing: it comes and goes softly and dances with the iris notes. And again, soft is the word to describe the iris in l'Eau d'hiver. In other perfumes the iris can appear somewhat metallic (e.g. Ferre for Men, perhaps) but not here: it's light and powdery. Other noticeable notes for me are jasmine, a bit of vanilla and some hint of almond although very fleeting.

How do I like it? Well... It certainly has a feel-good, light, clean, warm, comfy, soft appeal. The longevity and sillage are weak though, making it a scent that you wear just for yourself, and very pleasant that can be too. Best uses for me would be either when staying at home with a good book or when going out for a walk in the snow on a sunny winter day.

jeca
jeca

This is a perfume I felt in love with from the first sniff! :-)
This is a truly light, absolutely weightless fragrance, a very delicate note of heliotrope with a citrus and vanilla nuances.
The perfume waves with cold and warm notes, slightly powdery, very romantic and beautiful. I smell honey at the end, but it is a very-very delicate note, because the fragrance is not sweet at all.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle 4.21 out of 5 based on 450 ratings and 74 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.