Designers » F-H » Oriental « Groups

Musc Ravageur Frederic Malle for women and men
dislike

I have it: 852 I had it: 141 I want it: 1248 My signature: 29

cinnamon
Musc Ravageur Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures Musc Ravageur Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures Musc Ravageur Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures Musc Ravageur Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Musk Ravageur was launched in 2000. The nose behind this fragrance is Maurice Roucel. Top notes are lavender and bergamot; middle notes are cinnamon and cloves; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla, guaiac wood and cedar.

Lavender Bergamot Tangerine

Maharadjah

Musc Ravageur Fragrance Reviews

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Vanilla and lavender...the one combination guaranteed to produce a scent reminiscent of Play-Doh. Don't believe me? Sniff out "A Taste of Heaven" by Kilian or even go to a local chemist and pick up a can of "Brut" Deodrant -both which mix these notes- and tell me it doesn't remind you even slightly of the floury sweet blobs of putty you used to mash into the carpet at 4 years of age?

"Musc Ravaguer" has this quality, but the intensity of the vanilla and tonka bean take it to another level. It has a dense, porridgey thickness that overwhelms the air, like walking into a hot, humid changing room with no windows, filled with naive young women dousing themselves in vanilla scented body spray.

There's no let up. The orange and clove only add tinges of brightness to the suffocating blob of dough. And when it dries down, it smells like shea butter.

Minimal nozzle pressure recommended for this one.

fenxx
fenxx

Having sampled this many times, i do like the drydown but i can't get over the "baby oil or cocoa butter" vibe in the first hour or so. I do like the cloves and the vanilla + cinnamon drydown - it's great. Having said that, there are better fragrances out there for what you get.

hanson26
hanson26

I'm in the camp that doesn't find this dirty at all. Maybe if I try really hard, I can detect a little hint of something animalic, but if this is dirty, then Shalimar is barnyard (and it's not). I do see the resemblance to L de Lolita but this is MUCH better in my opinion. Lolita is too cinnamon sticky-sweet. This is just soft and really beautiful. It reminds me of cashmere because of the warm, fuzzy vibe it has. In fact. if I were to re-name it, I'd probably call it cashmere musk. But judging by the very mixed reviews, I'm guessing this must be a highly skin chemistry dependent scent. Vanilla tends to work very well with my skin, so there you go. This is the 4th Malle I've tried, and so far they have a 4/4 record with me. I should probably stop trying them, for the sake of my bank account.

Petticoats
Petticoats

This was kind of disappointing. I don't like the opening--it's the first time I've understood what is meant by an indolic note. The fecal quality vanishes pretty quickly, fortunately, but the fragrance only gets really attractive after a couple of hours on my skin, and long before that it's faded to the point that I have to huff my wrist to remind myself what it's like. I also don't get any vanilla, which is a disappointment as well. I guess MR just doesn't get along with my chemistry.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on decants. Tested both Meharees and Musc Ravaguer. Meharees opens up with prominent sweet date note while MR with prominent clove and a touch of musk. Clove+musk gives an animalic feel to it. Once they evolves into mid development, they both smell almost identical with cinnamon+vanilla, which is gourmandish and very pleasant. MR isn't as loud as many say with average projection while Meharees has below average projection. Both have good longevity on my skin. IMO, Meharees is FB worthy.

sybaris
sybaris

Got a sample of this based on the positive reviews.

For me it started out kind of medicinal. I read a review that mentioned it smelled like skin cream and it hit me.......yes, Noxema skin cream, that's what the opening was like. After the dry down I got vanilla and levender. Actually it was more like the harshness of CK's Obsession was toned down with a top note of vanilla. Never cared for Obsession so don't much care for this either.

AndrewMoc
AndrewMoc

Bois du Portugal is that you? No, just your spicy cousin. Sandalwood, bergamot, lavender and cedar (shared in common) and a bunch of gourmand spices. This is amazing. Truly a work of art that I personally admire, but maybe the women of my age range wouldnt enjoy as much. Its certainly one you should decant first and try out for some time to gauge reactions, but I dont find this pulling in as many compliments as some of my less expensive fragrances. Hell, Aspen which cost me a whole $5 is always well received by the ladies. I love this, I'm just not confident everyone else will. And for that I will wind up with its cheaper alternative in Meherees, thanks to the FragranceBros for their suggestions and reviews.

Update: 24 hours longevity. BEAST MODE. Against my judgment I wore this on a night out and the comments from the ladies were mixed. Mostly neutral or negative. I received the "you smell like an old man" comment multiple times. This shouldn't put a dark shadow over MR as much as it should place it into an older gentlemans wardrobe, maybe 35 and on.

chweintr
chweintr

Addictive.

vallensvelvet
vallensvelvet

I'm kind of baffled by many of the reviews for Musc Ravageur. On me it's a pure, cloudy, creamy vanilla musk with a little spicy kick; it's very sexy and absolutely delicious but there's nothing animalic about it...I wore this on my wedding day (!).

L de Lolita Lempicka is another Roucel scent that I like a lot, but that is sweeter, with a prominent orange note and much less grown-up than this. I wouldn't say it's a replacement for Musc Ravageur, more like it's little sister.

kazewayz
kazewayz

This is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. From the opening to the dry down it was love at first sniff. I can't speak highly enough about this scent even though it is not for everyone (and that is perfectly fine by me.)
I don't like to have a signature scent, but I can see my self wearing this scent every day. (At least on my hands, just to sniff it.)
This is an exotic, sweet, semi animalic, musky, semi spicy, sexy vanilla fragrance.
I always get compliments when wearing this perfume. Some have said it smells like an old man, others have said it is delicious.
I love the opening as much as the dry down, I love the bottle, I love the sprayer, I love the longevity, I love the projection, I love the name, I love the juice color, but most of all I love the smell of the scent. (Was it too many "I love's,"?
How do I feel when wearing this? I feel divine, sexy, dirty, attractive.
The opening: you get hit with that clove note which is a tad bit spicy but I adore, then the musk (which can come off as animalic,) it then settles into a sweet musk, and I'm a sucker for sweet fragrances.
My huge respects to Maurice Roucel for this dirty, antithetical jewel.

Old review: A very delicious scent. The opening of this was filled with cloves, and vanilla making it a gourmand musk. It's sweet, and fresh in the beginning, with a lip stick smell to it which kind of reminded me of "Dior Homme Intense" in a way. Beautiful dry down, very sensual, warm, and close to the skin. It gets woody on the dry down, the balmy note was still prevalent and there was some powder as well. I enjoyed this one. Well done, quality fragrance. Try it.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Uhm... no. I get the musk (+ tonka/sweet woods accord) and sadly I get the "ravageur" completely. Frankly a bit too flashy and tacky. Gets better (i.e., calmer and more wearable) in the drydown.

SDavis93
SDavis93

I just can not come to like this fragrance, i am trying hard to like it, but it just is not that amazing. really disappointed with this. it definitely does not deserve the amount of praise it gets. if you are thinking of purchasing, try it first!

Firstly there is no horrible urine smell or old peoples home smell. what i get out of this is a strong fresh spicy citrus opening definitely smell cloves, which does give it a medicinal feel but it quickly dries down and you get a nice woody, cinnamon and a slight civet mid note, as the fragrance goes on it turns into a very nice light creamy cinnamon and vanilla base this dry down is wear the fragrance smells the best but it takes a few hours to get to that stage, it is a complex fragrance but nothing amazing, sexy or panty dropping unless you want to be dropping panties of the over 50.

to me this fragrance is seriously over hyped its a nice scent, for sure, targeted towards more mature people, but not mind blowing like some people are suggesting and is definitely not worth the money, another fragrance were people have jumped on the hype train, just like Aventus. good projection, great longevity 8+ hours overall 7/10.

A word of advise for those thinking of purchasing this definitely sample it first! also if you own Tobacco Vanille, Back to Black, New Haarlem even Spice bomb or fragrances similar this will be a redundant purchase, becuase i own this but still pick those over this one all the time.

SmutRavageur
SmutRavageur

Before reading this review, look at my username. And there you have it. I agree 110% (and then some) with christianne1. There is nothing urinal, retirement home-esque, medicinal or stanky about Musc Ravageur to me. As she said, this is so damn sexy with an amazing flurry of vanilla and cinnamon.

Hey, I'm a vanilla head, so I'm obviously biased, but I won't shy away from admitting that. This was my first ever niche fragrance purchase, and I don't regret it at all. I love it from top to bottom, from the initial spray to the mid to the complete drydown all the way to the end. I love the vanilla, the cinnamon and even the cloves. A lot of people only like the drydown, but this beautiful piece of art is rocking a concert from a band that's somehow stringing together a masterpiece of a song after a masterpiece of a song one by one. It's amazing.

The longevity is out of this world, and the projection does its job: it's not overly loud -- it won't scream at you -- but it will lure you in and could bring forth a smile on your face just because of how damn good it smells.

Thank you, Maurice Roucel, for this wonderful creation than I plan to always have and hold dearly in my collection.

christianne1

I get no urinal. I get no camel. I get no sweaty groin. I get no deer butt. Or horse sweat. Or an old man's living room with cat hairballs. Or an elevator in an assisted living center.

To be honest, this is completely baffling to me.

Sometimes I think we smell what we read. We read about scary animal butts and pee...and that is what we smell. The mind is a very powerful thing.

All I smell is an unexplainable sexy spicy vanilla freaking heaven when I wear Musc Ravageur.

Just today I was getting gas outside and it was very windy and I had on MR. A man next to me said "is that nice smell coming from you?" I wasn't sure what he was smelling so I gestured that I wasn't sure. He walked over and said yes you are what I am smelling and it is the most incredible scent I have ever smelled. He asked what it was and I told him and he asked if it was perfume and I said yes. He said he had never smelled anything like that and said it was phenomenal.

So.....do you really think that would happen if I smelled like a urinal and horse sweat? Does it even make sense? I have had numerous strangers comment on it. When I go to my parent's house they both say enthusiastically how good I smell every single time when I am wearing MR. If I smelled like a retirement home and a sweaty groin mixed with cat pee they would be asking where the awful smell was coming from and would break out the air freshener.

I realize MR isn't a scent for everyone as it is fairly exotic and different and undoubtedly unique. But sweaty groin and cat pee and a retirement home? How would they ever sell a single bottle?

Edit: SmutRavageur...a virtual clanking of the glasses to you!!

lgray96
lgray96

I somewhat agree with what others have said before - this is intensely animalic, as expected, and veers into 'Muscs Koublai Khan' territory on its way to the drydown. Brings to mind well-groomed farm animals bedding down for the night! All, of course, offset on a rich, indigestible gourmand background. Although I appreciate why this fragrance is a cult classic, I'm simply not comfortable with wearing something that evokes the above connotations in public.
That's the thing with Musk, it smells different to everyone because the molecules associated with its scent are almost too large to bind to our nasal receptors. Since many people are anosmic to a certain type of musk, perfumers tend to include several in their compositions for fear of someone not smelling anything at all.
Personally, I feel this fragrance is synonymous with the middle east - it possesses that old world, spicy charm that wouldn't be out of place on a Muscat guy as he rode a camel across a desert...or something poetic like that!
So, on the bottom line, this is the second most startling animalic musk I've smelled - it seems like an antidote to the laundered age, so wearing it feels like a contradiction for someone who takes pride in their personal hygiene! Having said that, if someone near me wore it, I'd most likely enjoy it! Just not my style...

Terese2
Terese2

I am a huge fan of Roucel's creations and, long before I knew who he was, had acquired 6 of his fragrances. I have both L de Lolita Lempicka and Musc Ravageur. These fragrances have very similar ingredients yet....L is a feminine "dream of love" scent. It's a perky ponytail and the perfect lip gloss. It's a romantic movie and a prayer that, someday, somehow, Mr. True Love will come to you.
I wear L all the time.

Musc Ravageur is the relentless beat of a drum. It's smeared lipstick and an earring lost in bed. It's the drive home in the morning where you feel there is no possible way you can hide the night before...from your room mate or the even the girl who helps you at Starbucks. You know that everyone can sense your glorious skanky truth.
I only wear MR privately.

Time and place is EVERYTHING in perfumes.

hithereimdan
hithereimdan

Same as below. I smell like a urinal when I wear this. It's very strong and very gross. For those who love it, maybe your skin/nose is different than mine! Sorry!

houzi
houzi

I guess I wasn't prepared for this. Musc Ravageur quickly envelops me in a warm and intensly attractive cloud of scent, this much is instantly clear, but wait, what is it? - my nose is suddenly hung up on that awkward dirty musk note that just keeps on pushing through to the forefront. Maybe I'm not yet ready for niche perfumes?

I have to agree with VanMarlton below, the perfume is more than worthy of its name. But my mind's interpretation of the skankyness doesn't take me to the countryside. Instead of being transported to a barn it's more like I somehow wandered off to the wrong side of town.

The following locales are brought to mind: the inside of a lift at a tower block on some decrepit housing estate; underground platforms and passages of the Warsaw central railway station when I lived in the city a decade ago; someplace out-of-sight, maybe a dark, tucked away corner, or the arch of the entrance to the yard, filled with unmistakable, potent stench of the urine deposits left behind by anxious passers-by caught up in all too urgent bladder emergencies.

It's not as bad as it sounds though. The funky associations are mostly triggered during the first two hours, but otherwise the fragrance is quite gorgeous - very luscious and deeply appealing with all of the spices, vanilla and amber. I'm tempted to try the dupe from L'Erbolario some day just to see whether it can produce similar level of pleasure without the initial challenge.

All in all, Musc Ravageur is not for me. I don't have much experience with niche perfumes, but I know of some other potentially much worse offenders of the musc variety out there, so it was really surprising how funky this one read to me on first introduction. Call me a wimp, but it would make me a little too self-conscious first thing in the morning to know that other people on the train may react to it the same way as I initially do, no matter how great it goes on to smell later in the day:)

Daniel.Friedrich42
Daniel.Friedrich42

In short: Roucel's worst work(of the ones i got my nose on) by a longshot imo and way overhyped

I went through a sampler of it and was severly disappointed.

The Clove-note is just so overpowering, so medicinal and feels so dated to my nose. After about 4 hours MR gets to a territory where i would consider wearing it because the clove tunes down and the Vanilla and cinnamon take the stage but it's a long,long and stinky way to it.

I don't get how anybody calls it sexy, neither do the people who smelled it on me. Everybody was put off by the cloves and liked it better hours later.

I can appreciate the craftsmanship considering how long it lasts(about 12hours) and how well it projects(6 feet easily) but for me it really gets ruined by the cloves and the way it really lacks any significant amount of musc(at least on my skin).
Nothing animalic there.

Roucel himself did better than this on L de Lolita Lempicka considering the Vanilla/Cinnamon/Spicy-theme and L'erbolario's Meharees is pretty much MR minus the obnoxious amount of cloves, not as strong and just a fifth of the price.

At the crazy pricepoint Frederic Malle charges and considering how it reeks to my nose in the first hours i'm pretty confident i will never add this to my collection

brightstar
brightstar

A brave animal. Musc Ravageur opens bright and strong with bergamot and leather (although it's not listed). It's the smell of a luxurious skin. It's wild and intriguing. It's a very complex fragrance. It's surprising how in the drydown it completely changes to a warm and comfort ambery and musky scent. Wonderful. Good longevity and sillage.

kirtylou
kirtylou

I'm kind of embarrassed, but I accidentally purchased a small decant of this when I meant to purchase Carnal Flower. This is actually quite nice and the sort of scent I would normally purchase (I love warm spicies, unisex, and two of my favorites are Tobacco Vanille and Shalimar), so I'm not too upset about it. It smells very similar to Shalimar, in my opinion, but there is something a little smoother about this one. I will update after I've had a chance to wear it more. So far I haven't picked up on any cinnamon but I'd really love it if that note expressed itself a little more.

*Update: the cinnamon and spices come out a little after this perfume is applied, and the vanilla becomes much fuller and creamier, and overall smells less like Shalimar after both scents settle. This seems to be more of a skin scent and doesn't have too much "throw", which adds to the sexiness. Overall I don't know if I'd ever spend money for a full bottle of this because it smells too much like other scents in my collection and is quite expensive. Perhaps I will get L de Lolita instead since others are saying the two smell so alike (same nose behind both, too), and L de Lolita is much more affordable. But if you want to splurge, perhaps give this a try! :)

mabduaguye
mabduaguye

I first came across this fragrance on the table of my friend's apartment - an empty sample bottle at that! but man - did it smell good!!!
I ordered myself a sample and I was not disappointed, being relatively new to the fragrance world, I can't give a full description of the notes but the opening is rather strong - I suspect the bergamot is the culprit, but after a while it gets warmer, I smell Vanilla and Musk(?) - and its wonderful.
Projection and longevity are quite good I easily get 8 hours with 3-4 sprays, and it has the added advantage of being complex enough that you wont smell it everywhere. Just the other day at the club,at least 3 women stopped to ask what I was wearing!

Okay so this is my bravest blind buy ever and me being such a smart arse and knowing my tastes 'oh so well' thought that this was going to be the most triumphant purchase to date.
Unfortunately it hasn't turned out that way Musc Ravageur is an uncompromising, all consuming beast of a fragrance.
I really wanted to try some FM fragrances and this one seemed like the most suited to my tastes I have to say I was shocked by just how musky this was.
I'm indifferent about musk and by no means hate it. However I often forget how much strong musk can be really off putting and for me this fragrance opens with a blast of muskiness which sets out the stall really for what remains throughout.
Pure, raw and animal!
It starts out smelling very much like Adocaart or eggnog maybe stired which a cinnamon stick by an animal in heat?
That's what I get intially anyway...by that I mean a definite vanilla and as it matures a little more the clove starts to pack a real punch!!! Harsh opening to say the least!
The note votes on here are very deceiving because Cloves are absolutely dominant and that was not what I wanted! Cinnamon and clove are a wonderful combo but the sweet, warmness of the Cinnamon HAS to dominate or I personally won't like it.
I was so unhappy with this fragrances opening I left it a few minutes before sniffing again and what do you know the cinnamon had appeared with real sweetness and not just warmth but heat!
I thought 'mmmm...here we go I'm starting to come around.'
unfortunately after half an hour that's gone too and your left with the animal, eggnog again.
In conclusion this is a very complex opening which leads into a balmy, creamy heart of vanilla and tonka bean eventually leading to a pleasant drydown once the clove and musk have retreated abit.
Do you know what I'm not just saying this to save face on such an expensive and exotic gamble of a purchase but the drydown is actually really nice.
It's still musky and clove ridden but loses it's teeth from the opening. I could really get to like this I reckon but I think you need to apply it a while before leaving the house as it's just too much at first! More wears and I'm sure I'll come around.
The sexiness of this fragrance is unmistakable and undeniable, frankly it's dirty, filthy & perverted.
I did feel sexy wearing it to be honest and can't wait for others to smell me wearing it even if they hate it. I can't wait to tell them what it's called in my best sexy french accent.
Another thing is the uniqueness factor...rest assured pretty much no one else is going to smell like this in a club, so I suppose there's that too.
Projection, sillage, longevity????
Monstrous on all counts.

Miss_Nicole
Miss_Nicole

This is a very erotic, animalic, intense and hits-all- the-right-spots-for-me kinda frag. I'm not going to bore anybody with the notes and what I get from this fragrance because it's all been said. What I will say is this a stunner, but be forewarned. Musc Ravageur is highly addicting from beginning to end. This is a fragrance with personality. Masterfully blended and highly intoxicating, this fragrance just oozes sensuality. A true gem in my eyes. Absolutely adore this frag.

As far as gender it's split right down the middle.
projection- amazing. Lasting power- amazing . Sillage-amazing, yep. Just amazing.
I Highly recommend that if you're even the tiniest bit intrigued to sample it. But buckle up, you're in for quite the ride ;)

Amordefragrancia
Amordefragrancia

One of the most artist fragrance in the market. Musc Ravaguer has become one of favorite scent, and this is coming from someone the couldn't stand musk, but this juice has change that. The opening it can harsh but one 45 minutes or so and then its a magical experience.

Krupp
Krupp

If you prefere a very musky musc scent, Musc Ravageur is a must buy, which deserves a place of honour in the perfume wardrobe.
If you on the other hand find heavy musc a little to much, you can do as I: Wave goodbye and ride into the sunset without looking back.

Vincentium
Vincentium

it's a Roucel...i've said it all.

Maitreiy
Maitreiy

Please, who can tell me where can I find this fragrance to buy? Thank you!

erica_74
erica_74

This is pure animal... savage, vulgar, untamed, unrefined, ruff, wild... all that! Musc ravageur indeed.

It does not fit my personality at all and maybe that's why on my skin it reeks like an old man's living room, dirty cat sitting by the fire place, hairballs everywhere, spilled cogniac on the old armchair, cookie crumbs and nutshells on the capret, stuffy air and all. Totally, a horribly wrong fit. We come from different universes.

But I can understand that on somebody else, on an appropriate skin, on the right occasion, this could be a hard to resist, statement scent.

deborahfrancoise
deborahfrancoise

L'un des parfums les plus enveloppants, délicats et sensuels que je connaisse...mais j'ai mis du temps à l'apprivoiser.
Note : 10/10.

miss mills
miss mills

Amazing musk, incredibly complex with a soft smoke of sweetness that lingers in the dry down - I love to smell this on other people, it hits all the right notes for me but unfortunately my skin's chemistry seems to turn it into a different smell altogether, something almost sharp. A real shame, on others I can really smell the magic and beauty of this heavenly concoction.

A dark unisex Musc - I tried to put it layer on layer with a fresh flowery scent - and thats a wow-factor! No sugarsweet notes at all, a bit male'ish but I can see a woman wear this one too..Very nice and longlasting.

En mörk unisex Musc - jag provade lager på lager med en blomfräsch doft - och det blev wow!! inga sockersöta noter alls, aningens manlig men jag kan definitivt tänka mig en kvinna bära denna oxå.. Otroligt trevlig och hållbar på huden.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

This is really not my sort of thing - I'm trying to make sure I try a lot of scents which fall outside the spectrum of what I know I'll like - but despite that I find it really beautiful. On me it is sweet honey cake with spices and vanilla crossed with an old-fashioned sweet/woody/lavender aftershave or shaving soap. The spices come to the front after the big vanilla pillow has dissipated and then the balmy, woody notes come through.
Often I find prominent vanilla offensive and headachy in perfume but this is soft, gentle, loveable. Yet another example of how I can never make assumptions about fragrance...

aeg8193
aeg8193

How good is this scent. I'm a guy (21) and always get good comments from family and friends when I wear this, interestingly always during the opening. Which I love more then the dry down I might add. Don't get the old lady / man references AT ALL, this is just some sexy sex juice from the sex gods.

Surprisingly works amaxingly in the summer, one light spray to the neck and bobs your nanna

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

GRANDMA'S MUSC

The opening citrus + musc was very unpleasant to my nose. Before it dried down, I kept getting a waft of soured perfume.

Dry down was pretty much a powdery musc for hours on end.
Smelled just like the elevator in a assisted living community.

PASS.

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

Musc Ravageur really brings out the smell of skin, but better.
It starts with a rush of soft amber, settles into a woody-musky vanilla something sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon, it's delicious but not gourmand or foody, somehow.
Deep into the dry down, it's not even all that sweet, it just turns the skin into some kind of sumptuous garment that begs to be smelled up close.
No super sillage either, it's more like the Pashmina of scents.

Germany
Germany

MUSC RAVAGEUR is a very SEXY and ANIMALIC scent , no flowers besides lavender , it starts with a strong warm BLAST of leather, cinnamon and cloves. Addictive, really....... Its heavy also on the tonka , vanilla and amber as well as musk. Super sensual and unisex , a total MASTERPIECE !
Best time of the year for this is absolutely FALL & WINTER Its not a fresh scent, its a warm cozy, assertive , powerful , sexual scent. Think in line of Shalimar, and Cuir de Russi chanel. Exclusifes

Its ANIMALIC , Its WILD its MATURE , DRAMATiC and MYSTERIOUS ,,,,a refind SKIN SCENT !

If you think this is too much of an animal, then wait and see how it develops. Most animalic scents turn into really musky even more animalic skin scents in the dry down BUT this Lion turns into a tame CAT , it actually goes from loud and dirty to sweet and innocent ,almost gourmand ...( cinamon vanilla smell )

Its a scent that people either love or hate. But I think there is more LOVE for it then hate. Especially for the MATURE noses that have been around perfume for some years and are really into perfume. Do not overspray this one, 2 sprays is all you need to smell divine !

Update: I am not wearing this as often as I thought I would. It's quite an intimate smell. It smells of sex and the beginning has a strong Oder , but yet it settles down lovely and is quite wearable after 30 minutes. If you get through that first half an hour you are save!

sussex2
sussex2

The opening is loud in volume but somehow soft. The back room of a Belle Epoque bordello. A gang of girls sitting in front of mirrors; gossiping and squabbling before the evening work begins. Black stockings, scarlet lipstick, creamy flesh. A pastel rainbow of bodices and fluffy stoles. The air dense with lavender powder puff, spicy vanilla and feminine musk.

It is far too tempting to pass by without sticking your nosy nose in – just to see what all the fuss is about. But once you have caught the scent its difficult not to keep going back for more.

beaker
beaker

I'm so glad someone else mentioned L de Lolita Lempicka, because I dabbed on my sample of MR and knew I'd smelled this exact scent somewhere. If The Perfumed Court admitted to filling my MR sample with L de LL, I'd completely believe it.

freddinos
freddinos

Musc Ravageur is IDENTICAL with L de Lolita Lempicka mixed with Chopard Casmir on my skin. And I mean identical. I love both these perfumes, so I also love MR. It is way overpriced for what it is though, but that is only my humble opinion.

christianne1

I believe this is probably the greatest fragrance in its category of all time. While it is a love it or hate it fragrance, when it is love, it is obsession.

It smells like lust. It smells like innocence. It smells soft. It smells rough and dirty. It smells like a rock star. It smells like a porn star. It smells vintage. It smells hip and trendy. It smells light and it smells heavy. This fragrance is a contradiction in every sense of the word.

It is magnificent.

I have unfortunately only smelled this on myself. If I smelled it on another person I am afraid I would stalk them and hide in their bushes and peep in their windows.

I am not even going to attempt to describe the notes because it is different for everyone. Musc Ravageur is not simply a fragrance, it is an experience. One you will never forget. Love it or hate it, you certainly won't forget it.

ateghipc
ateghipc

There's something about the very airy and light vanilla here I don't enjoy, and if you hate cloves make sure you steer clear because they are certainly there in large amounts. Otherwise though, there's something great here in the opening. Afterwards this becomes mediocre to me. Would love to see this on someone else but absolutely hate it on me. I also feel this is more feminine than masculine, but both genders could potentially pull this off. Not FB worthy to me.

kris919
kris919

I got this in a great swap with raw umber. I loved this at first spray. This smells like Christmas to me, very spicy , aromatic, a tiny bit sweet, a little smokey, and very warm and creamy. Great high quality combination of cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, musk, resins..maybe some sandalwood. (I don't get the citrus or lavender). This lasts well over 12 hours on me and never turns into an annoyingly close skin scent. It's the perfect unisex monster. love it

NoireFox
NoireFox

Wreck me Musc Ravageur...
I will admit, at first I detested this fragrance. But I realized, after recently wearing it in the dead of winter, MR really is a masterpiece to be reserved for bitterly cold weather.
I can smell medicinal lavender and clove in the opening and then it quickly dries down to a powdery amber/cinnamon musk. I also detect a slightly rubbery note in the final stages, but I'm assuming this derives from the clove, or the way in which the clove blends with the musk (perhaps). This final stage reminds me of the smell of a man's breath, when he exhales; warm, salty and heavy. Perhaps this was a small part of the intent of the perfumer? If so, Roucel is a mad genius!
This fragrance is warmth and intimacy bottled and is best used in small doses on very cold nights. Sumptuous, strong and intimately masculine.

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

Deliciously weird stuff!MUSC RAVAGEUR is definitely one of the sexiest unisex perfume i've ever experienced.A unique,oriental and mysterious scent will grab your attention might miss its mark for unisex appeal,this is a winner.it makes for a sensual experience that tingles your intelligence as much as your sweet tooth.sensual and sexy in a classy way. more than two sprays of this will land you in trouble,so be very careful when applying. Sweet, Hot,Provocative,Irresistible,Sophisticated,Rich, Strong and Attractive.

This should definitely give you a shock when you first try the fragrance,after marveling at how unusual this opening is,you'll soon notice cinnamon in the heart.the notes turn sweeter and warm by vanilla and amber.the result for men is a very good evening getter for the ladies.intrigues woman that walk near you and leaves a unique lasting impression and the result for women is a sexy smell that just makes she want to bury her head in his neck and take a deep breath.Yes an absolutely winner in both the men and ladies.perfect for a hot winter night.

Sillage?Excellent.

Longevity?Lasts and lasts.

7.5/10

Migotka
Migotka

Can this be... love? Well, even if it is not, as of yet, I am really enjoying wearing this fragrance and even squeezed out a little compliment from one of my friends.

For me, the main attribute of this scent is the musky sweetness. It's not sticky, but vanilla and tonka bean do the trick. The spices are a wonderful touch to this sweet lazyness on a hot afternoon. I don' know why, but on me Musc Ravageur is not animalistic or fresh, there is nothing dirty about it, it seems almost slightly gourmand, with a touch of cinnamon and fragrant cloves.

In a short time, it became one of my favourites from the entire line, the projection and sillage are really good as well.

kayley123
kayley123

This reminds of me a group of fragrances listed below. Comparatively, it is the MOST ANIMALIC/dirty, wood note is a bit fresher instead of smoky.

Reminds me of all of these:
Givenchy Organza Indecence
TF Tobacco Vanille
Hermessense Ambre Narguile
M. Micallef Note Vanille
L'artisan Safran Troublant
L de Lolita Lempicka

Youssef_Maggi
Youssef_Maggi

not so much impressed, for me it is like an "old men" perfume. of course it has a vintage feeling to it, which I very much like, but this perfume is not so unique as the hype around it.

Caramelle
Caramelle

Musc Ravageur is a fragrance that had made such a big impact on me that I wanted to get rid of all my other fragrances.It was my No.1 fragrance at one time.

What's so alluring about it?
In my opinion it's a great oriental fragrance with musk among many other notes.The dirty musk is very prominent on top,but fades quickly..too quickly for me as I love when it blooms!
The drydown is an ambery,cinnamony oriental which I think can be very seductive and comforting.Of course,it is sweet with vanilla and the usual suspects, woody notes and tonka bean.
Surprisingly I love this best on summer evenings.I think they make the musk come out more on my skin which makes it smell very sensual. It then is my answer to the "sexiest" perfume.

hedward
hedward

Despite that animalic notes can be very alluring (eg. Kingdom) Musc Ravageur is simply just too much. It does have a very beautiful and warm clove cinnamon vanilla quality that reminds me of L de Lolita Lempicka but the animalic undertones are amped way too high. MR literally smells of L de LL sprayed on horses as it dries down after the unforgivable opening. So, does it smell sexy? No! Even Kouros is tolerable when it comes to this. The sillage and longevity are beyond excellent but in my case it was very unfortunate. I just couldnt believe MR would be this vile after reading all the hype comments so I decided to spray it on my friends skin. On her it was much softer and sweeter but everyone in the group agreed on the horse note: it still didnt turn out pleasant.

What a shame, I definitely wanted to love this as the notes semeed so promising. Maybe MR just needs a perfect skin match in order to balance out the animaliness so do NOT blind buy before testing.

Smell 5/10 x 2
Longevity / Potency 10/10
Versatility 2/10
Complexity 9/10
x2

Overall score 62/100

Allinug
Allinug

A little disapointed, it wasn't what I expected. Yesterday I got a sample and put some on. I don't know why but this perfume is so familiar but I have never smelled it before.

It's warm, soft and in the beginning a little spicy but I can't feel the musk and I thought this was a musky perfume but on me no. I can't make up my mind...sometimes I like it and sometimes the smell makes me nauseas...

Lucky me I didn't do a blind buy...I was going to but changed my mind and sampled it first.

My advise...try it first...

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

Lovely stuff. A very spicy, contemporary musk. It has great silage and seems to last forever. I have no complaints with this one, it's an all-around rich and pleasant fragrance. Even people who don't care for musk will probably enjoy this one.

If you like Musc Ravageur also try Dans Tes Bras, another great Frederic Malle fragrance designed by the same perfumer.

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

This is probably not the review that you want to hear, but it's one you should listen to before you buy it. I never want to say the word overrated because Musc Ravageur is popular for a reason.

First off, the dirty clove opening (with a burst of lavender and strong citrus) wasn't nearly as shocking as I expected it to be. It was a bit musky and dirty, but in a good sense, and not overpowering. And I'm a person who almost always likes clean fragrances and hates old school powerhouses.

However, at drydown, this unique opening is gone and the fragrance is much more subtle (as well as safe and a bit plain). Not to say that it's bad in any way, but for a gourmand dry down, I'd much prefer Original Santal, Amber Narguile and Roucel's own New Haarlem.

As for comparisons, nothing is too similar to this, but think of this as L'Air Du Desert Marcoain, but with less rock and more gourmand. At drydown, some similarities to Rochas Man, maybe Tobacco Vanille and perhaps New Haarlem. But in it's gourmandish dry down, while there is no musk and the animalic notes are tame,

This is not a powerhouse. The first hour is very strong, but shortly after it becomes a very weak fragrance, and it just doesn't project. This is the biggest flaw. The fact that once the fragrance is supposed to get interesting, it takes a conscious and active effort to even detectl However, it does last over 20 hours, which is far too long for any fragrance (especially one that lingers around)

For being a love/hate fragrance, I neither loved nor hated this. It's not baby wipes and old lady perfume. It's not a romantic sexual venture either. It's a decent woody-oriental gourmand that's worthy of the attention it gets. But keep in mind that everyone's experience with it will be different.

The risk here is not that you'll hate it. It's that you just might not understand such extreme reactions to such an overall tame fragrance.

3.5 out of 5

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

What a lovely combination of essences. I can definitely smell the lavender and cloves right off the top. Then slowly but steadily, in creeps the vanilla and balmy notes. The spices remain present but soften just enough to not turn the fragrance cold. It has similarities to Tobacco Vanille in that it captures the spices in TV's opening,but that's where the similarity ends for me. Musc Ravageur hangs on to the spicy notes way better and they linger with the sweeter notes way more cohesively.

I think it can easily be worn by women who love amber, oriental, spicy scents. I do catch the homage to Shalimar, but I can't wear Shalimar, so I would spend the money on this since I find it WAY nicer with my skin chemistry.

Linear, yes mostly. But with every sniff, I pick up on something else pulling it all together. Again, it's one of those complex scents that moron into its own smell. Sort of powdery, yet sweet and rich, warm and comforting- all at once. Yes, this is FB worthy for sure!

Sorry for the double post, I got signed out.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

This is probably the most sensual fragrance ever created... Extremely evocative of seduction, cuddling, and sex. Also one of very few fragrances that I would legitimately consider to be truly unisex.
I could personally do without the annoying lavender opening (bug spray), but otherwise this is an utter masterpiece with excellent sillage and longevity. I'm told the parfum oil version of this that they used to make had no lavender in it, and went straight to the dirty & delicious vanilla/musk drydown; wish I could get my hands on it, but it's not even available on ebay.

I consider Musc Ravageur appropriate for all seasons, but I wouldn't dare venture more than 1 spray in the heat, and would reserve it for nighttime wear in the summer.

angel66
angel66

This is heaven! And really worth everything penny. So delisious.

Housebliss
Housebliss

This fragrance is comparable to a creepy smile. The person smelling you is like "oh is he trying to seduce me, or does he want to kick my ass?" Well if you're wearing this who knows.

Sometimes I hate this and other times I love it. Personally I always feel like a badass when using it. A nice and loveable person, but a badass mofo within waiting to explode.

Truly a fragrance for a crazy person. Spicy vanilla. Purely masculine.

this is great.
it reminds me of tobacco vanille just stronger and a bit more sour. its like the sour smell from DHI.

and its cheaper than tobacco vanille:) def worth checking out.

this is great.

and its cheaper than tobacco vanille:) def worth checking out.

evesoho
evesoho

I believe that I smell civet in this perfume, although it isn't listed here. Civet is usually the provenance of "old world" perfumes, like Guerlains by the original Pierre-Francois, for example, and the formulations by Henri Almeras for Jean Patou.

The apparent civet in Musc Ravageur doesn't remind me of a dead cat wrapped around the neck of a lady wearing a powdered wig in a musty old portrait on the wall of Versailles. It reminds me of a picture of a living family of civets in their natural habitat, photographed clearly, innocently, in National Geographic. A photo that makes you want to take the civets home, one that shows the little animals all cuddled up together, sleeping. And this is where Musc Ravageur leads me, to thoughts of home.

Musc Ravageur seems to conjure the idea of purity to me. In the way that it's pure to fall in love, then to make love, then to live in love with your family. It makes me feel like no matter where I lay my head, I'm home in my skin... I could sleep in a field or in the hollow of a tree, or a hobbit hole, and still feel comforted and at home. You know that feeling when you're gardening and you check the soil by rubbing it in your fingers? There is something very sensual, pure, and exhilerating but innocent about it? (I hope that isn't just me). That's how I feel when I smell Musc Ravageur.

(I don't think it smells sweet or like Shalimar, but I do find both Shalimar and Musc Ravageur to be cozy, comfort scents, and sometimes I spray my bed with one or the other before I sleep. I plan to buy a full bottle someday). Scentrist doesn't think it's the best by Editions Frederic Malle, but I love it. I only just *like* En Passent, Une Rose, Bigarade Concentree, and Lipstick Rose - but I *love* Musc Ravageur.

b360
b360

heard much hype about this and im very let down.....all it is is shalimar smellin aftershave esque.....nothing unique to me.. nothing "sensational" either...just a plain ole musk..expensive and for dudes 40 n over.....try guerlain shalimar or diesal zero plus n you get cheaper better smelling formulas.....this is a flop for price its askin n i will stand by that

iivanita
iivanita

The opening is beautiful clove note, that always reminds me of a honey and vintage creations, spiced up a touch, it took me by surprise men rave about this much sweetness:-) , but its rounded by nice lavender note, benzoin is right there as well, but just as a hint, its ambery a little transparent, yummie unisex, if men can wear this then please do try Tabu as well, gorgeous clove note as well, the drydown is simple animalic musk, much better then Musk Tonkin, but too simple for me....not very projective as well, i tried the newest

Wise-222
Wise-222

the one who did this smell is crazy , very complex
you can it find something similar to this at all
nice job, you can use this one in all of seasons.

MLK
MLK

I tried this on my skin in store and it instantly reminded me of some other famous perfume but could not think which one. Then, in the dry down it smelt like the exact copy of Shalimar by Guerlain. If you can't afford the hefty price tag of Frederic Malle's version, get Shalimar and you practically have the same fragrance.

jamjazz
jamjazz

Very complex fragrance, but intelligently done. there is a fresh start which becomes slowly more deep and more interesting.

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

UNBELIEVABLY SENSUOUS!!

This is crafted to perfection. It has a strong opening but like a good orchestra, ends in a crescendo of musk and vanilla.

The type of finale you would expect from PAVAROTTI singing in his prime.

"O SOLE MIOOOOOOOO"

A cacophony of tantilising seduction :)
This perfume is always worn on the days i'm taking myself quite serious. It has a formality and edge to it that warrants such connotations.

virga
virga

One of the most alluring unisex scents ever: Musk Ravangeur is sweet, strong and tender, innocent and animal – just perfect. Whenever I detect somebody wearing this fragrance, I just want to follow that person till the end :)

Tricky2beat
Tricky2beat

Sampled this yesterday. A mans man fragrance :) Too much for me to pull off but would be great on the right person. Will try it again in a few weeks and see if I can warm to it more.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

His departure is weird, a smell that sends much the same hospital hallway with a touch powdery and slightly sweet, after an hour and a half to two hours, cinnamon and cloves begin to merge with that vibe hospital, making it more resinous and spicy, medium hot, dirty and animalistic.

Another hour, and cloves and cinnamon take account aroma, getting the first, second and third level of fragrance, leaving a very small space purchases top notes, which almost does not feel over. The clove and cinnamon at this point are aggressive as a punch in the stomach, are not bad, they are just overly powerful, but are also very natural.

After about 3 more hours, cloves and cinnamon are still present, but now softened, and combining with the woody and oriental background, and little by little, slowly woody and vanilla are taking forward, and the vanilla slightly more prominent, and resinous and spicy vibe going in the background, and I hope that, as in the first test, the base notes of him endure a more perceptible by 6 hours, because for me, the best part is the fragrance!

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

I'll be honost. The first time I smelled this I was not interested. I gave it so many tries and it just wasn't doing it for me. But after going through 2 decants I decided not to buy it.

But while in barneys I picked up another sample to give it another shot. And it took a while but I decided to purchase a bottle. Now this is a MATURE fragrance. And when I say mature I don't just keen older but I mean this is a fragrance that someone with self confidence would wear. And someone who can appreciate the boldness of it. Then the drydown is where the magic happens. The clove note is very strong but I've smelled worse top notes such as bvlgari black, and the original angel men. I love this fragrance. And I wear it cause I like it not because other people like it. I love getting compliments and wearing the crowd pleasers as well but this I can't pass up. And the bottle looks soo sickk. I love the simplicity yet the classyness it portrays.

raw umber
raw umber

Musc Ravageur is an entire family of wild raccoons that have found their way into the vanilla pudding cups in my pantry. Yes, this has actually happened to me, so I know what it smells like.

Musc Ravageur lasts 12+ hours on my skin with just two sprays in cool weather, and the raccoon/pudding phase lasts for at least the first six, with 1 parts raccoon and two parts pudding.

At around the six hour-mark, the vanilla pudding cups (the kind that don't require refrigeration)are replaced by amber so that the musk is now pairing with an element which amounts to something much more agreeable to my stomach than a sweet milk note.

I sighed with relief when the amber emerged in the second half of this long and arduous journey. At no point did I find it sexy, sensual, or empowering.

I did find it naughty, but in the furry-tailed, beady-eyed, turning my pantry into a gigantic sticky mess kind of naughty. Not the lacy thong in tangled sheets kind of naughty.

Fragrances can create that impression for me, but NOT Musc Ravageur. I kept telling myself that it wasn't that bad, and that it would be over soon; not exactly my preferred mantra when trying out a new fragrance.

I think this would be great for any occasion where you are wanting desperately to smell from vanilla or something rich and sweet, but can NOT allow yourself to smell like straight vanilla because it is too "blah" or "girly" for you. Slap a wild animal right on top of that vanilla with MR and you are so good to go.

finanna
finanna

Musc Ravageur opens with lots of vanilla and lavender, bit like the Jicky EdT from early-2000s but without dirtiness. Opening is quite strong and the projection remains good for about 2-3h. After that, MR lingers rather close to skin (on normal doses). Staying power is quite good, on a hugging range it is still detectable 7h after wearing.

Lavender wears off quite soon, the drydown is cozy, soft and spicy woody vanilla. It is an edgier version of L by Lempicka. My review is based on a 3ml sample and although it is lovely, I am not sure if I will get a full bottle of this. It actually made me crave for a new bottle of Jicky. The note combo is beautiful, but I want a hint of dirtiness;)

I recommend this to anyone who is looking for warm vanilla with a twist. Especially those who find Jicky too dirty or L too "flat&simple" will enjoy this.

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

I purchased a sample of Musc Ravageur. I find that I am forcing myself to like this fragrance but cannot convince myself that I actually enjoy it. I still haven't built up the confidence to wear it. The furthest I will go is a squirt on the wrist and I find that I am reminded by Jovan Musk however this is NOT a cheap fragrance by any means. This is not for everyone. I feel that this is not how I wish to be remembered by as I pass by someone. I do however understand the richness and complexity of this fragrances genetic makeup. The overpowering clove is not attractive to me and my wife does not enjoy it.

mendwillie

I love it and love it. Fond of this predominant vanilla, cloves and develops so delicious this mixture is hallucinating. I am impressed with the longevity and projection are both very strong. Gain huge and endless compliments when I wear it. It is worth spending a lot with that. In me remembers the Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114, do not think anything like Labdanum Le Labo.

I rank it well:
Smell: 1000/10
Projection: 1000/10

Lady Love
Lady Love

There are some remarkable similarities between this scent and L by Lolita Lempicka. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur It begins with citrus and cinnamon, much like Maurice Roucel’s 'L'. However Musc has so much more to offer, It features a very sensual and spicy clove and lavander. The drydown is quite soft, when all the spices are gone. Can't imagine wearing this everyday but for a very special purpose, perhaps

Marco Chau
Marco Chau

I disliked this fragrance the first time I tried it at the store but did get a sample from the SA to take home for more tests. The second time I tried it sort of changed my first impression but still didn't make me love this fragrance. Today, I have it on the third time and my experience with it is totally different, maybe due to warmer weather. It is sort of like the hybrid of my Guerlain Jicky Extract and EDP, smooth like the Jicky Extract but also has the sexy animalic scent (a slightly tamer version) of the EDP. On my skin, the dry down of this fragrance is sweet and aromatic and it sort of reminded of PS Fine Cologne by Paul Sebastian for Man. Although the scent from this fragrance can never replace my love of Jicky, it has at least changed me from dislike to loving it.

Scentrist
Scentrist

I really would love to say something positive about this. For a fragrance that has been the subject of so many positive reviews, this was a complete disappointment such that I need to wonder what I'm missing that everyone else finds to be pure magic.

It's probably passable if you want a confectionary combination of scents that smells more of a bakery kitchen than something warm, spicy and woody. The tangerine opening seems a complete mismatch to the remainder of the scent that I felt would have been better if it were either/or. Either give me a sour citrus as I found in the opening and through the heart development, or leave me at a spicy, warm woody and amber combination. For me, it just turned out to be disaster and a let down when compared with all of the hype it receives.

Sorry, but I'll be the dissenting opinion. There's no substance here that I would want, and I'd not view this as the best of Frederic Malle's collection. This is one that truly needs to match your skin chemistry -- I can usually handle anything, but this was a complete mess on mine. Surprising and totally disappointing. Don't blind buy this one, a must-try-before-buy and for me a scent that really only certain folks can pull off. I'm not one.

Zito87
Zito87

Awesome vanilla base, I don't think it's very similar to Shalimar, but it's def. very good, I'd buy a bottle after a Dans tes bras!

Cassiano
Cassiano

I could finally know a scent from this brand. I was anxious! And I must say that it is an excellent product!

The opening scared me, because it has that medicinal hint – strong and typical – of colognes that have agarwood in their compositions.
“ - But wait a minute! This one doesn’t have aoud in its composition, so from where comes this smell?”, I thought.

Well, the scent opens with lavender and tangerine, almost acidic, being watered immediately by very strong notes of cloves. And this cloves are good, because the aroma is strong (bear in mind)!
After a long time (more than 40 minutes) it starts becoming more harmonious and gives place to something more woody and creamy, in a remarkable mix of guaiac wood, cinnamon, vanilla, sandalwood and musk. The guaiac wood note is extraordinary in this fragrance!

The projection and lasting power are excellent, worthy of that aroma. I only see a problem: the bottle.
To pick up a scent like this in your hands, with this poor bottle, used in several other existing creations, even more being a unisex perfume, deserved something more elegant and refined. Apart from that, 10 stars!

antfarm
antfarm

The first time I tried this, I was disappointed because it smelled like lavendar home cleaning products. Not sexy unless you like "ravaging" janitors, but if the janitor is hot, why not? Then I gave it another chance and I could sense more complexity and even a human, musky, dirty-clean scent, and I thought: hmm, a Jicky sequel.

mendwillie

Opens nicely with the sweet vanilla pounding and quickly mixes with the air giving a spicy cinnamon and cloves together that are more notes that are evident on my skin. I do not see synthetic note infirm, and yes I see is pure note and striking.
It smells different and very luxurious.
I Have the Labdanum18 Le Labo and it does not seem far from it, both are very different in my skin.
I love this to FM
I classify this:
Smell: 9.5 / 10
Projection: 10/10

Ali88
Ali88

I have mixed feelings about this frag. Not a sweet vanilla fan in mens fragrances, and this one is the least sweet vanilla i have ever smelled, more like very sour vanilla! That's what I like about it. On the other hand, when tried it on a paper, the bergamot/clove combination faded out after a couple hours and a great vanilla powdery musky scent remained, on my skin however, the sharp musky clove note persisted for more than 24 hours! talking about longevity. I think it is a body chemistry thing though.
No doubt this is a piece of art, it has something to say, definitely not your safe go-to scent.

recherche
recherche

After wearing Angel for 10+ years, I felt it was time to try something new. Not because I had gotten tired of Angel, but somehow, after years of so many people hating it, I think it had a comeback. I was smelling it almost everywhere and I'm not the kind of person who likes to smell like everyone else. So, I went on a mission. Serge Lutens' Chergui had put me head over heels, but I could not get it because it already was my partner's signature scent (Though, I must admit I use it once in a while when he's not around).
When looking for a new parfume, I know I've come across something good when I find one that smells iSSS (intoxicating, seductive, sweaty sex) and that was the case with Musc Ravageur.
I wear it in conjunction with the body cream and it lasts 12+ hrs.

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

One of the best! love it!
My first (day) experience was kind of strange, MR was strange to me, lots of cloves and vanilla, too spicy for me, lots of these faces :/ :|
My 2nd day was way different lots of :))))) <3 did find the cinnamon, and the opening is great!
this frag is all man!!!!

rosarossa
rosarossa

Wow! It's a pity I can't afford it but I like it very much. Probably Musk R. is the best musk on the market or this is my opinion, I must save the sample I had by my friend.

Greg1965
Greg1965

Simply addictive. For me probably one of the best smells / frag's ever.... It opens well and it stays well.

Hoyo
Hoyo

A brilliant creation like most of the Frederic Malle collection. It has a strange sweetness that reminds me of root beer, but it is simultaneosly spicy and oddly fresh. A unique and quality scent from Maurice Roucel.

fkollmeier
fkollmeier

reminds be of noir by TF

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

I really like this scent, it's a very safe scent imo, so not sure where the exotic name comes from. It smells like a very expensive baby powder with musk, lavender and cinnamon far in the background. I like it a lot and feel it's unique and not a copy of any other fragrance. This is a great everyday scent.

GinaTheresa
GinaTheresa

A scent for an incredibly sexy and sophisticated man. You know he's bad for you, but you can't stop fantasizing about him. You find out he's a vampire who spends most of his time in bat or wolf form. And if you're honest with yourself you can smell that animal scent on him in his perfume. Later you'll wonder how you could have missed all the signs. He's a lesson you have to learn the hard way. It's going to hurt, but first it's going to feel so good. After you get over the heartbreak, you'll remember the dirty sex and this scent on his skin.

Darwish
Darwish

Too much vanilla, I prefer LABDANUM 18 oil by Le Labo also formulated by Monsieur Roucel. It conatins more musky animalic accords!!

silfra
silfra

(I have never read such a bad written opinion as the last one!)
For me MR is one of the best Maurice Roucel fragances, an unique scent that you should try if you like warm spieced parfums. I really enjoy it in the cold winter. A masterpiece as all the FM parfums.

darrshan77
darrshan77

review of DARRSHAN

I totally agree with the last review juanrich about what he says.i have experienced what he says

grampz
grampz

I guess I must be lucky when it comes to these type of scents because on my skin, the opening does not last long at all and it seems to work well my chemistry. I dont mind the opening, i get the lavender and an immediate rush of cloves with cinnamon in the background which does make it a bit medicinal but it makes this scent unique, its definately a little daring. After 20-30 minutes, the sweetness of vanilla/woody notes come in, making it smooth/very creamy and in this stage, it shines. To me, that medicinal smell lingers but it is heavily pushed aside by the basenotes. to appreciate this scent you obviously have to tolerate/somewhat enjoy the opening (which has been stated in most reviews) and enjoy the complexity of this scent. I fully understand why people may dislike this but for people that love it i can see why; awesome base, super good longevity (for me anyways), uniqueness, and dont need more than 2-3 sprays to get a solid full day wearing of this cologne. I see myself wearing this one quite alot and exploring its depths! great scent!

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

Unlike other FMs I have tried, this one had a very linear development, and, on my skin, was very disappointing. After a short initial opening, the fragrance smelt only of an oily hair gel (ie, brylcreme for those of you old enough to know it). Long lasting, and very very strong. Too bad it was not a good one for me, because it certainly did not fade!
Gave it another try - still the same reaction...

sharkface
sharkface

This fragrance is a jackhammer of powdery vanilla.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I disagree with Luca Turin's review of this scent. I am sure he won't mind as I am still in awe of his knowledge. Far from hippie, this is a well-composed, high quality ingredient list, definite oriental. I agree with GreyMan that this is a relation of Opium, but it leaves sweet little L de Lolita biting the dust. Deep, sensual musk, not as raw as in MKK (which although I love, I just can't wear it) swirling with spices and woods. The notes live in perfect harmony, whirling around each other in this work of art. Absolutely gorgeous and decadently expensive to the nose. Staying power on me is moderate and it remains close to the body, much like wearing lust on your sleeve. Most definitely not flashy. This is no whore. Nor is she a debutante (sorry guys, I claim this one for females, but I can imagine a guy wearing this and in response I would swoon). It calls to mind Kelly Preston in Maroon 5's She will be Loved video. She would be Musc Ravageur and her daughter would be L de Lolita. See...no comparison there.

GreyMan
GreyMan

This perfume keeps being recommended with enthusiasm. I ignored it for a long time due the word "musk" in its name. A note would have to be dominant to be in the name. One member's recommendation made me rethink this; she wrote that this is comparable to L de Lolita Lempicka. That is a scent I like but find increasingly difficult to wear. Another fragrance based on a similar theme would be just the thing, which put it on my test list.

With my goldfish memory, cleaning out my test list, I wondered again what a musk themed fragrance was doing there. It turned out I had since been given a sample. Just sniffing it reminded me vaguely of Opium. On the skin it amounts to a cross between L and Opium. While L might be more of a whimsical concept, this is a more complete Oriental fragrance. The overall scent brings Opium to mind, even if it's somewhat simpler. With Opium it's impossible to single out any spices, here the cinnamon is in charge. That said, it is well-blended, more balanced and less sharp than in L. While nothing can be quite as good as Opium, this has the upper hand in that it smells better in winter. Opium develops best in warm air, in winter it can be sharper. That's another problem solved.

The lasting power is impressive. A tiny amount lasted easily 10 hours. Even better, the fragrance remained balanced till the end. The dreaded musk never dominated or outlasted the other notes.
I can definitely recommend this as one of the best among this fragrance group.

jeffreywelch
jeffreywelch

I love this fragrance! It is so sophisticated, and I have never smelled anything remotely similar to Frederic Malle's MR. Every time I wear the fragrance, I cannot stop smelling myself. I want to bathe in this stuff, though I know 2, 3 at most, sprays will last and project for endless hours. Be careful with application. This stuff is powerful! It will get you noticed, no doubt! Wear it, and beware of its implications. Grrrr!

bcoops

yo this lasts a freaking long time!!!!

if we could just 86ix that wretched clove we'd be all good!

EnPassant
EnPassant

It's not that bad, but certainly is not that "great" either! I went to Liberty in London and I was decided to buy two Malle's fragrances and I have to tell you that Musc Ravageur was one of them (just for the reviews - cause I've never tryed it before)! The result? I bought the wonderful Carnal Flower and the delicious L'Eau d'Hiver (not mentioning the fact that my girlfriend hated this Roucel's fragrance)!!!  MR is only ok to me! And for the first time I agree with Luca Turin - "THIS ONE IS MORE FLASHY THAN GOOD!" Longevity (kind of cheap drydown) is enormous here! And if the "real deal" is the projection/ longevity, I really prefer Carnal Flower - because you need more than personality and the desire of smell huge to wear this one!

Selina420
Selina420

My boyfriend and I only smelled this sprayed on card today and didn't get the chance to try it on, but i was immediately in love with it and have to get a sample to try immediately! Yes, its somewhat challenging. The boyfriend started giggling after the initial sniff and then went on to describe it as 'Pets at home meets Vic's vapour rub - but in a good way'. But its got such a wonderful complex feeling to it and is deeply sexy. We couldn't stop sniffing it all day and I'm sure will argue over who gets to wear it if once purchased! A truly stunning scent and i'm really hoping it suits my skin!

Update - we tested thoroughly to be sure and then had to buy it - too gorgeous not to!

Kain
Kain

This is a really nice fragrance!
The opening may shock you and you hate it at the first sniff.
It's very strong dirty and almost medicinal smell with sharp spicy note and noticeable sweetness in the background.
There are some green notes too, but very light in the background.
In the mid, that dirty smell started to decay and sweet smell become much stronger.
The sweet notes are vanilla mixed with strong cinnamon and while there are no coco and coffee notes in the note break down, I believe it does have coco and coffee notes as well. It's very warm, sweet, sensual and delicious.
In the base, the smell didn't change that much. you have this strong sweet, spicy, coffee and chocolaty smell till the end.
Projection and longevity? are you kidding me? it's insane! very strong and long lasting fragrance.
يه عطر بسيار گرم و شيرين با بوي بسيار تحريك كننده
رايحه اوليه اين عطر ممكنه كاري كنه كه شما بگين: اه اين چيه؟
اولش بوي بسيار تلخ و تقريبا دارو مانندي داره كه رايحه هاي شيرين به مقدار كمي اونو همراهي ميكنن
بعد از گذشت چند دقيقه اون بوي تلخ و دارو مانند شروع به محو شدن ميكنه و بوي شيرين به مرور قوي و قويتر ميشه
بوي شيرين اين عطر تركيب بوي قوي وانيل و دارچين هست كه البته من معتقدم رايحه قهوه و شكلات هم قاطيش داره
بوي بسيار شيرين، گرم و تحريك كننده اي داره و يه جورايي بوش خيلي خوشمزه اس
رايحه پاياني تفاوت چنداني با رايحه مياني نداره و شما اين بوي شيرين رو حس ميكنين و فقط اون بوي تلخ ديگه كاملا از بين رفته
پخش بو و ماندگاري اين عطر وحشتناكه. بسيار قوي
كار خيلي خوبيه و اگه از عطرهاي خيلي شيرين بدتون نمياد ميتونه يه كار خيلي عالي براي شما باشه

When I first smelled the infamous Musc Ravageur, it was wonderful. But then it suddenly became so animalic it made my stomach turn a little. Oh but I know from sampling Tom Ford's Urban Musk that what starts out fecal can become awfully desirable once it melds into and works magic with one's chemistry, and Musc Ravageur is one of the best examples of this phenomenon that I know of.

On my skin it's a strong animalic musk with heavy doses of vanilla and amber. Then there's that delicate spice that I can't honestly say smells like cinnamon or clove in particular, but it definitely adds a mysterious oriental touch. For the first hour my mind is on overdrive with thoughts of "I like it. I don't like it...." By the second hour this perfume becomes a sweet, creamy, rich, mysterious, oriental heaven.

The sales associates compared this to Obsession, and as I continued to wear it, I could understand why. It's not really spicy like Obsession, but to me it does smell like a super high-quality, muskier version of it.

I think Musc Ravageur is one of the best musks on the market today. I used to love Jovan's White Musk in the 80's, and now I think to myself, You've come a long way dear girl!

duncanchelseal
duncanchelseal

I LOVE musk, but it turns so sour on me. I will always envy those that can wear this fragrance. It smells like you rubbed cinnamon on a horse.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Glad I finally tried this, though I think it should probably be called 'Vanille Ravageur' instead.
The opening is off-putting - the first few minutes smell like rubber. Then slowly some cinnamon sneaks in and before it can give it a good shake up the vanilla dive-bombs and that's how this scent tumbles along for the rest of its duration. There are hints of lavender and fennel, which should make this scent more interesting than it is. I can feel how it may be called animalic, but I wish that aspect of this scent was more predominant on my skin, but it isn't. It's more gourmand than anything else. To me this is the poised and elegant Jicky's fun but overbearing cousin.
Reviewers who mention that a little goes a long way with this scent are right, this has fabulous sillage and the staying power is equally great. I don't dislike it, I'd rather say like than not, but it's not for me.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

I am sorry but how can people compare MR with Lolita Lempicka ? I mean not even far away I smell a note that compares to MR. MR is a very animalic, musky dry fragrance, while LL is a sweet and happy gourmand. They smell almost the opposite to me. They are both great fragrances, don't get me wrong, but I am just so surprised people find them similair.

divadani
divadani

Oh! Ohhhhhhh!! I just want to dive into a cloud of this stuff. It is beautiful. Just "gaze at it in a museum" kind of beautiful. It is a full, rich, complex fragrance that just envelops you in the most glorious way. THIS is what a well-made perfume smells like!

black_orchid

A nice fragrance, but I don't think is special. Fine adjustmnet and smooth transitions. I don't like enough to buy..

jandajohn
jandajohn

believe the hype or don't but personally i believe this stuff is the bomb! for me an important aspect of fragrances is in what mindset they put me in. and this juice makes me feel like a million bucks (unlike 1 million :P )
to put it short: my go-to scent for evenings out

aaronr0ndale
aaronr0ndale

i cant wait to get this stuff! smells SOOOOOO good! does anyone else thinks it smells like carmex lip balm??? im not saying i want to smell like carmex but thats what i smell at the opening. haha

la_clope
la_clope

I seem to be the only one here who feels it's a lovechild of Habanita and L'Air de Rien?

Be moderate when applying, this stuff goes stronger and stronger! quite a sillage monster and can be easily overdo if you put too much on!

On me it's wood, smoke, leather and musk.

I love it so much more than Lutens Musc Koublai Khan.

frag.guy
frag.guy

If anyone is interested in swaping a decant of this for a 8ml of New Haarlem then let me know! dying to try this beauty.

skeleton
skeleton

Comfort-version of Shalimar, wonderful and wearable. Unlike others I don't find it heavy, but sexy in a very subtle way.

bcoops

I was not impressed by this at all....this doesnt start to smell good to my nose till about after 3 hrs...even then it smells good but nothing out of this world and certainly not worthy IMO of $240 for a 100 ml.
Dont believe the hype........

black_orchid

is not a special smelll. Just beatiful. No more..
I thing exaggerated. There are more betiful scent in the collection.

jozemo
jozemo

love this juice,be careful it's kicks hard when it drys down, over all a strong unisex scent ,that gets good compliments everytime it's on my skin.

shoguns2480
shoguns2480

have one brand new in box and cellephane DHI Vintage Silver collar looking to swap for Creed GIT or Musc Ravaguer

catfishy
catfishy

This is a beast on projection!!! I have put just a little on my skin with the aplicator of my sample and it is all over me. It a sweet scent, that i have not decided if like yet. I cannot detect individual notes, just sweetness.

muskymale
muskymale

Shalimar was the inspiration for this perfume..!

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

Go easy with this one. The sweet, milky musk is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Musc Ravageur leaps out of the bottle at 90 mph dragging a wet diaper behind it. Yes, the first blast really does smell like baby wee. Thankfully, it doesn't last, but it does that rather clever thing that baby diapers do after a few washes, it begins to smell like beautifully plump, freshly washed skin. There are distinct overtones of vanilla and custard and ice cream wafers, the lifted lid of a jar of some exotic oriental spice mix and warm clay (pause to inhale next time you are digging the garden on a hot day. Is it alluring? Yes. Does it have that elusive something which made Al Pacino's nose twitch in "Scent Of A Woman"? Most certainly. Many years ago, Marc Bolan sang about this fragrance, before the fragrance was born. He just missed out the bit about it having a slight undertone of baby-wee, which mercifully dissipates into a very sexy "knickers hanging from the four poster" cellar strip bar musk.
Well you're dirty and sweet, clad in black
Don't look back and I love you
You're dirty and sweet, oh yeah
Well you're slim and you're weak
You've got the teeth of a hydra upon you
You're dirty sweet and you're my girl.
You're an untamed youth that's the truth with your cloak full of eagles
You're windy and wild, you've got the blues in your shoes and your
stockings
You're windy and wild, oh yeah
You're built like a car, you've got a hub cap diamond star halo
You're dirty sweet and you're my girl.
GET IT ON!!! Oh yeah.
Tell me Tex Ma'am, are you in showbusiness? No? Then get your feet off my freakin stage. And so on. Love it. But be gentle - this, like many other elements of attraction benefits from restraint of application and being mindful of the "Less Is More" maxim.

williamvargas
williamvargas

wow a sexy special fragrance, definitely for those intimate situations..a type of fragrance you would want to be lingering in the air while you are with that special someone,,,something like the dave matthews bands song "crush " is playing low in the background..i wonder this, could tomorrow be as wonderous as you there sleeping..just wow..so sensual and romantic a fragrance as there is , you do not need a lot..sexy!
had to purchase, even though i won't wear it as much as i wish...for those special times. great job mr. roucel...just fantastic.
romance and passion is in the air..

DistinguishedGent1
DistinguishedGent1

This scent opens up very warm with a nice whiff of lavender and bergamot. You blink and it is gone. The heart quickly comes into play and is dominated by your cloves and cinnamon. This is where people will like it or love it, depending on how much you can deal with the smell of cloves. I personally do not mind them. I get more musk in the heart that anything. In the dry down, there is this nice, sensual, sweet, animalisttic vibe with vanilla, woods, tonka bean, and sandal wood. Very inviting at this point and smells fantastic.

This scent is love or hate, and it works differently on varying skin types. I personally love this on my skin, and so do the people around me when they smell it. I even got complimented by a teenager one time. That wowed. me. This is worth a shot on the skin. **Food for thought: The higher the temperature, the quicker you get to the dry down. This may be some people's problems with this scent as the cold weather takes longer for the body to heat up**

Projection: Strong, becoming moderate in the dry down
Longevity: Excellent 12+ hours
Silage: Great for a scent cloud of 3-4 hours

OZ
OZ

I had a very high expect for this fragrance from all the reviews I've read and watched over the months, I have to admit I rather disappointed with this fragrance. MR is very heavy to my nose, call me mad but it reminds me somewhat of Opium. This is a very sweet, heavily spiced, musky and dirty. Its longevity is pretty good but I can't imagine myself or anyone wearing and loving it. I think it would be suitable for much older audiences and cooler weather.

storm61
storm61

Withouth providing a long technical review, i just dont like this fragrance at all, perhaps a lady might like it on my skin however i just didnt like this thus i cant recommend it to anybody though i respect others who love it.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

If you're looking for morning-after skin, tangled sheets, and pawed-through sex hair in a bottle, keep looking. This is simply a nice woody vanilla and cinnamon scent. Zero musk, and I'm not even anosmic.

Shares Tobacco Vanille's drydown by some strange molecular quirk.

AJ73
AJ73

This is one of those scents that I had to learn to appreciate but now that I do I find it absolutely wonderful.

RobAtSGH
RobAtSGH

Musc Ravageur is a giant vanilla pudding over which a musk bomb has been detonated. Labelled as unisex, I find it way too confectionary to be worn by a man, and way too cloying to be worn by a woman wanting to be taken seriously.

Is it musky and animal? Yes, it is, but in a very controlled and sanitized way. Musc Ravageur is a study in opposites that do not attract. The bakery/custard elements of bombastic vanilla are bolstered by a decorative dusting of cinnamon and cloves on top and around the edge of the serving plate, perhaps using those little twee star-shaped stencils. The musk does little to tame or enhance it, instead it romps around independently adding a dose of stink to a giant gourmand dessert.

I think that this is quite possibly the perfect scent for anyone who makes a living by wearing very little clothing and a dusting of glitter. Other than that, it's forgettable and awfully expensive for what amounts to a linear slab of sponge-cake.

swalibar
swalibar

I could not get into this fragrance at all. After an hour and a half, I kept getting a smell that reminded me of vanilla powder on my cat. Just plain gross. The longer it stayed on my skin, the more I felt like I had 2 Deer glands surgically attached to my neck. It had great longevity but just a real raunchy smell.

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

This is sexual torture in a bottle..'Nuff Said. I hate the word "panty dropper" and I hate it's use in terms of describing fragrances because in the end, a fragrance only amplifies one's existing charm and ability to take control of a situation. However, gun to my head and crotch...if I had to call one fragrance this vile term...it would be Musc F'n Ravageur.

A heavenly mixture of cloves, cinnamon, vanilla, musk...to some the opening may give off the type of scent one would accustom to..i don't know...an elderly man. Fine...but to many, the opening is a treat. But wait..yes..just wait...

and this is not your typical wait..no this is the type of wait you see outside Apple Stores when a new Steve Jobs creation comes is released...

Once that drydown arrives...you ain't smelled nothing like it. Ever. Period. Imagine a milky, creamy, fluffy, sweetened vanilla-bean grounded by a very very light hint of spice.

Sillage: 8/10...magnificent scent trail
Projection: 7.5/10 (it really does stay close to the skin and I think it is meant for those intimate moments)
Longevity: 10/10 (lasts forever but stays veryyy close)
Versatility: 6.5/10...you can wear this year around because in this end it is a nice smell...go VERY LIGHT (one spray or two) in the summer. Hot days, it will be too cloying for yourself..so my advice is to spray on your wrists only..not anywhere near your nose. But TOO strong, and empowering for a signature scent.

Overall:8/10

emily7
emily7

Hm, there must be something wrong with my nose because I really don't get much of the infamous animalic vibe. The truth is I had such high expectations of Musc Ravageur (even though I'm not a big fan of musk), but all my humble nose is detecting is musky lavender-vanilla combo spiced with a bit of cinnamon. Not sure is it oriental or gourmand but it's not animalic either. On my skin is sweetish, timid and halfhearted compared to some more serious stuff in that oriental woody group with animalic twist.
Interesting, good lasting power, but cannot compete with good old Jicky.

syndromes
syndromes

its ok. ok now listen up, who has an idea of a badass JASMINE/leather/boozy/chypry/dark- key words badass and jasmine. peace

I suppose that I was never a prime candidate for Frédéric Malle MUSC RAVAGEUR in the first place, not being a huge fan of musk, but I have to say that I found this an unpleasant wear. The opening packs a punch of harsh lavender, which may be harsh in part due to the clove? In any case, it was to my nose too abrupt and, well, harsh.

Then come the dozen dead musk deer. Okay, I know that the musks in this composition are synthetic, but I obviously have no difficulty detecting any of them. Are they "sexy" or inviting? No. They are really too much for me. The smooth, polite oriental spices and vanilla do little to improve the situation.

I am chuckling at those who describe this composition as similar to the smell of rice pudding. I do believe that you have just identified yourselves as musk anosmic, my fragrant friends!

To get through the afternoon without a scrub, I had to resort to a liberal application of L de Lolita Lempicka, also by Maurice Roucel, which offers much more vanilla and oriental and much less musk, and omits the lavender altogether, thank goodness!

Needless to say, I'll never in this lifetime be adding MUSC RAVAGEUR to my collection. I won't even be finishing my sample.

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

I don't really get it with this as it just seems like straightforward musk to me with a urinous smell as well as a synthetic smell that reminds me of fly spray and cheap cola so much that the whole thing just gets on my nerves. It is a dirty smell but without any refinement. It all tits and ass. Admittedly it smells a bit better on my husband so it's probably chemistry.

sf2explus
sf2explus

Beautiful scent this one get better the longer it stays on skin. At first you will smell a combination dark lavender and bergamott straight away, thats what i smell the two smells combine together and creats a very bitter style smell, this smell will last atleast an hour on skin and eventually tone down a little before you smell the clove and cinnomon mix with the top and sandlewood which is very creamy. It will be staying like this for atleast four hours where you just smell like you have a plain body lotion on your skin that has a hint of spicy sweetness and hints of green that comes from the bergamott.

On my skin by the 5th hours i was realising the top of the scent tone down alot, and the middle notes aswell, so mainly getting a creamy smell that is dark and sweet with all the sweet base notes of amber and vannila, and tonka being much more detectable. I think of this scent as going from dark bitter too creamy, woody, vannila and hint of sweetness. A very complex scent give this scent time.
I think this scent is better suited for a man or a women in her late 20's and up but thats just my opinion. Sillage is very good and lasting power is between 8-12 hours.
Bottle design is very good excellent cap clicks into place and the best sprayer in my entire collection.
I usually spray one to the chest and two to the neck. The scent will project in a very nice way not like a chemical projection where people smell you from 20 meters away. suitable for the cooler months, i would not dare put this on during the summer day.The concentration of oil in this is very good a true EDP.
The note list here is very accurate i smell each and every single note thats mentioned.Top quality ingredients used here.

Scent 9.5/10

angel6
angel6

Finally got a small sample of this perfume and could not believe how much reminds me of L de Lolita Lempicka, it was made 6 years before L. I believe Mr Roucel removed clove and or lavender and add more vanilla and somethingelse that made L much sweeter and sparkling. If you can't get MR in your country like me or you can't afford it, get L de Lolita.
Musc Ravageur is in my wish list. Love it.

Kasozo
Kasozo

This is amazing! I have a friend, she owns perfumerie shop. We both re addicted to rare scents around us.

She got excited of reviews about M.R. and ordered it.

Came to gym (I work as a personal trainer) all in this scent. I did not recognize it is new. Thought, some mix of Oriental Annick Goutal Collection which she has... Did not fall in it.

After few months I took it to try on me. Fuck! It opens so wide, leaving me mouth opened. Spices gets warm and I'm surrounded with notes I love in all other perfumes I have. I don't want to give the bottle away.

I don't feel any lavender and bergamot which are in hundreds of mainstream perfumes. I love cloves but not fan of cinnamon. But must say this way spices work in perfume is amazing. Guaiac wood makes the final touch.

Some of reviewers say "not sexy". I don't know. Too sexy! Makes my head go round and forget about everything else TOTALLY!

sky76sky
sky76sky

Not sexy - but verrry sensual.

On first sniff I am hit with a softer verion of L de Lolita - all sweet vanilla, brown sugar, orange peel & cinnamon-on-steroids. I love L so I have on my happy face.

A few minutes in, I experience a nostalgic hit from the lavender & smelly cats paws of vintage Jicky (minus the heavy fox-den whiff).

Seconds later there is a touch of Christingle oranges with the hot wax dripping off the candle onto the cloved peel.

All the while an indolic lily note in the back ground swirls from dirty-wrong to delicious.

It is, to me, another amber-lovely with a powder-puff feel & a woodsy, balsamic edge. I can't think why it deserves such a savage name as it is a gentle, deeply delicious scent that is about as ravaging as a hug.....it's not even particularly scarily musky or animalic. I have a tiny pot of ancient musk oil from my travels many moons ago that I cannot even bear to remove from its sealy-bag prison & MR is far removed from that stinker.

If you are hoping for a dynamic scent, walk away. If you are hoping for a dark & daring fragrance, it's not here. If you are after a real stinker you will be left wanting. If you like a smooth, warm, foggy amber hug with a rich creaminess & depth then you will love this.

The lasting power is good & sillage is average on my dry, winter skin.

A good quality winter-warmer. Like skin-warmed, velvet-trimmed cashmere undies on a frosty day...but L de Lolita is still better, IMO.

kassinator
kassinator

I am falling head over heels in love with this stuff. I just bought it because I have been admiring it for a while, but for some reason it wasn't at the top of my list. The first blast is an interesting mix of musk and amber which is normally something I would love, but something about it is off. Not even two seconds later I am enveloped in the most beautiful blanket of sandalwood. To me, the vanilla, tonka and cinnamon are the base that allows the sandalwood to flourish. I don't think it's spicy enough to rate cinnamon or cloves as high as others have. Throughout the day while wearing this I randomly get wiffs of the warmest wood and am in heaven. Let's see if it stands the test of time.

Edit: I am sad to say that after wearing it for a week or so that odd off putting smell at the opening started to really get to me. How did I go from completely enjoying to now returning the bottle? I don't know. Honestly, it isn't terrible, but for the price I need to absolutely love it. And now I know for sure that I do not. (I even tested it on my husband to see if it would smell better on a man. Nope, still do not love.)

yabadu
yabadu

Really nice... But I don't see there's much more to it. One can love it only if really into musky&heavy scents.
I don't think it's worth the price.

Marilie
Marilie

I believe this one smells very different depending on the wearer. So please sample this one, do not buy it unsniffed or neglect it because of these reviews.

On me it was sweet and warm with lots of cinnamon, wood and lavender and a note that I thought was musk. But then there is no musk in the offical note list. However, it is a dark, animalic note (it MUST be musk) and always reminds me of the Lancome Magie Noire drydown. It is a strong, pungent smell that is first tamed by the warm cinnamon note but fights its way up to the surface the longer it is on skin.

Do I like Musc Ravageur? The name is perfect but I see this one as a fragrance for men rather than for women.
If I want to have somethink "dark" and sexy but non-floral myself, I'd reach for my sample of Magie Noire.
If I need something that warms me in Winter, I rather go with Cadjméré by Parfumerie Générale.

The sillage and longevity is both very good. I wouldn't spray too much cause it can become quite nauseating.

Helsinki
Helsinki

Hello. I'm Helsinki, and I'm guilty as charged. Here's my story.

I lost my Musc Ravageur virginity this evening while bar-hopping. Thought that Idole d'Armani or Divin'Enfant was my ultimate confidence fragrance.

Bollocks.

Ravageur is remarkably musky-sexy-magnetic outdoors. When indoors, you get the erroneous impression that MR is stifled and nonexistent.
No, no. All the while it's working like charm behind your back.

It's like a [well-trained] dog. It does tricks that serve and please its owner. Ravageur unleashes its animalistic side when "hunting" and also in private. It's not loud but therein lies the... devilishness.. of it. The closer, the hotter.

Scene #1: A twentysomething couple passes me by in the stairs. The woman turns around and wants to have a look at my shimmering scarf. Then she sniffs at me, asks what I'm wearing. The next thing I know she kisses me on the lips and says to her boyfriend "I'd do her."
Scene #2: This happens minutes after the first scene. I'm walking up the stairs, making my way out of the bar. I'm feeling very flirtatious. A man grabs me. Hugs me, presses me against him. (I give in.) Kisses me on the mouth. I smile devilishly and simply walk away.

Scene #3: Next, I go to a very loud, crowded and well-lit British bar called "The Grill" which I've never dared to go to before because it's always full of forty/fiftysomething businessmen. Tonight, I felt like I had the cojones to do anything. (I blame it on Ravageur.) I had a chat with a handsome guy. When I was leaving and intended to give him two cheek kisses, he tried to kiss me on the lips - I dodged. An hour later, I see him at another bar. He notices me, walks straight to me, and kisses me on the mouth. Victoriously, he winks at me.
_

Just before saying "I'm Katie Puckrick and I smell", you'll hear the words "When I wear Musc Ravageur, I feel... PRAWW."
I'm not a big fan of Katie, but I have to admit: She absolutely nailed it.

Praww.

bronstein
bronstein

Some comments below accurately relate to this one as "dirty". I wish to add: but not as sexy as it should be.

Men: go for the far more inspiring (male) scents by Lolita Lempicka, if you are looking for a vanilla/cinnamon thing.

Women: you have plenty of similar, but more elegant fragrances to choose from, don't even think about buying this one.

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

I'm anosmic to musks, most of them anyway. So with Musc Ravageur I smell mostly a huge, enormous amber, which I usually dislike, but I love the way it's been treated in this case. It's loud but not too disturbing, and somehow different from the mainstream, which is something I always appreciate. I used to love this perfume, but in the end the amberzilla started to annoy me. As much as I dig the whole concept behind the Frederic Malle line, I still haven't found a perfume of theirs that I really love. Shame.

EDIT: I went through a few tests and no, I'm not anosmic to musks, I can smell them perfectly. That said, to me MR is still a huge ambery perfume. I can sense, more than smell, the musks: they're not jumping at your nose, but somewhat suggesting their presence underneath the amber. The complete lack of flowers makes MR's personality even more outstanding.
After a long time without wearing it, because of the annoyment mentioned above, I tried it again after testing a series of florals and I found out that I was still in love with it. It's a love or hate perfume, yes, and it might bother me again in the future, but that's passion: you can never be certain of the future. Live the moment, try it and let your instincts rule. You might surprise yourself.

periplos
periplos

Avevo sentito e letto magnificenze su questo prodotto caro e chiccosissimo. L'ho provato qualche giorno fa.. orribile sulla carta: sentori di letame e cane bagnato. Il gentile signore si è offerto di spruzzarmelo sul polso ed ho accettato a malincuore passando dunque subito ad altro. Ne avrò sentiti altri 10 e avevo quasi deciso di buttarmi su eau d'hiver quando ho riannusato il polso infetto.. ero incredulo e innamorato, una cannella speziata mista a una nota di vaniglia, il tutto condito da una dose misuratissima ma ben presente di muschio. Il tutto risultava semplice e diretto, molto avvolgente e incredibilmente cremoso.

Lo sto centellinando. Al contrario di molti non vedo l'ora svanisca l'aereosol dei primi minuti perchè solo allora il profumo si appoggia e inizia a scaldare.. da provare. Anche per chi, come me, non va matto per i sentori animali.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

Oh my, Musc Ravageur cuts the floral foreplay, and goes straight to bed. Irresistible sex appeal, this is a perfume for lovers...

jcastano
jcastano

Ah, the infamous Musc Ravageur. A staple in some mens' fragrance wardrobe. A bonified lady-killer for most, or so they claim. A dubbed projection and longevity monster for this woody oriental. Unfortunately, the hype behind this is so over-exaggerated that I feel as though some just buy it out of the habit of it being a trend.

I normally enjoy outdated, masculine type scents but this one is too much for me. Why is it so special? Why does everyone place this on a pedestal? It's so overrated! I will state that the quality is everything it should be but the scent reminds me of a feces-filled diaper, with vanilla and cinnamon sprinkled throughout, then topped with cloves! I pick up some woody notes as well but I get a nasty fecal note in here and the top notes are definitely the worst. They last 3 hours on my skin! After that, the scent settles out a bit and remains as a pleasant musk in the drydown. Still, not worth the 3 hour wait. This lasted 24+ hours on my skin and even when I tried to wash it off, it still remained as potent as it did when I applied. People will smell this on you! I can't imagine anyone wearing this, unless you're a grandpa. It has a classic feel to it but with a pseudo-gourmandish vibe. I'd say if you're 50+, this is ideal for you. It's funny how many people buy into the hype and end up regretting it. Yeah, this is one of those! Fortunately for me, I had a sample! So please, DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS ONE!!!!

Fizzy
Fizzy

This is for our lovely guys and hubbys...Yummy, woodsy, sweet man frangrance. Can not imagine, a woman would smell this way. Complexe, expensive smelling and unique scent. You would never found such a fragrance for the mass! Love it!

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Quite the disaster for me, or not since I was fortunate enough to be critiquing my LuckyScent sample.

Opening struck me as a very irritating animalic, safari animal fur, really crude and never really went away.

No rich, sensual cloves or spices/vanilla which I was expecting based on glowing reviews and tales of sweet seduction. This is certainly not a deep flirting with spice and exotic substances of romance! The scent appears very faint, almost fleeting, much to my annoyance.

No potency, dare, or sexual presence? Did I miss the boat? It seems so! Only the slightest musk and quality vanilla appear before the juice vanishes.

Very disappointed. Was this real? Maybe a mistake? Then, yet I was very happy, since I managed to preserve a bankroll or two with only the $5 sample!

2/5.

Oh well, my search for fragrant utopia continues.

lindy-fay
lindy-fay

On my skin, this is in a strange way similar to my old time favorite: Organza Indescense. The woods are very dark and prominent, which I love. Cinnamon is absolutely there, the vanilla too. The reason it puzzles me that these reminds me of each other is that when Organza Indescense is ultra-feminine, Musc Ravageur can easily be worn by both gender. Musc R. also have a leathery feeling to it and is less sweet. A new favorite!

You tend to hear a lot about this fragrance on the niche forums. Many people say it's sexy, raunchy, hot, sensual... you get the gist. So of course, like any hot-blooded woman would do, I made it my mission to scout out Musc Ravageur.

Before I begin, my favourite musk prior to smelling this fragrance was Kiehl's Original Musk, which is a rather 'dirty', animalistic and heavy unisex musk. Musc Ravageur on the otherhand is different. It's a lot sweeter, smoother and softer.

This is the kind of sexy musk you'd wear with baby pink, frilly lingerie and cute bows in your hair. It's innocent and naughty at the same time. Most of the time the scent is cuddly and vanillary.

Occasionally I get hints of sweet, aromatic lavender, which is strangely compelling on the skin. The cinnamon, vanilla and musk drive the composition, and with this fantastic blend, I can see where the 'gourmand musk' references come from.

The sillage is pleasingly intimate. I wore this fragrance out clubbing the other night and my man was the only that could smell me, which in itself was a beautiful moment for the both of us. It's a romantic fragrance for me, not necessarily raunchy or outrageously seductive. Just alluring.

stephan
stephan

I can't smell any musk, only vanilla and cinnamon, and in a very dirty way, it would never make me hungry. Staying power is great on clothes.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

You know when you are very hungry and you happen upon a bakery upon your travels. And they are baking something sweet and delicious and the aroma is traveling upon the breeze and you take that deep breath in. The Scent compels you to just go in to the bakery and satisfy your craving.

Musc Ravageur fragrance is a lot like this as its very vanilla sweet with light musc blended in with cinnamon. Upon a person it is warm, sensual and very sexy scent. And it is very well blended.

If there was ever a fragrance you would choose to wear just for sheer decadence and sensual indulgence, this is it. In fact I would go as far as saying if you were looking for a scent to wear to a club with the intention of getting laid, this is it.

It is very sweet and on me I found you only need one spray to the chest as this fragrance is strong and lasts a long time. Its easy to over spray on this scent.

I like this one, good for when you want to be noticed

pureblonde
pureblonde

Wow. This is an undeniably gorgeous fragrance - it's warm, spicy and sweet, perfectly well balanced. I couldn't possibly describe this with the justice it deserves but at best can say that on me, the cinnamon and vanilla are prominent with a lovely woody base that keeps this grounded and never cloying.
I find this so pleasurable and easy to wear, it's comforting and inviting as a daily scent yet is bold with a sexy quality that is perfect for going out / special occasions.
A uniquely beautiful fragrance!

Sourneli
Sourneli

I bought it in Aug 2010. I started wearing it at the begining for special occasions, but as time went by, I started wearing it more often. Lately, I do not want to use anything else. I love it! Thanks god, I bought 100ml, as we do not have it in Canada!

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

It`s stunning! Most of the superlatives has already been mention here. A masterpiece, PERIOD!

LOVERS
LOVERS

A lover of incense and oriental fragrances Musc Ravageur sits perfectly in my collection of scents. Retailing at AU$445.00 here in Australia like all scents under Frederic Malle this is another masterpiece and a pleasure to smell and behold. The opening is very fresh, kinda makes me wanna lay on the beach and soak up the sun or maybe get on my board and hit the waves but then the scent becomes incredibly dark and woody very complex and dangerous. My first time i wore this i was liberal, extremely liberal in fact and i filled the room with my scent even i wanted to make an escape out the window but this thing was sticking with me for the long run and there technically was no escaping it, even having a shower only made the scent more persistent. In saying that I love this fragrance dearly and dont be silly like i was. One spray will do you good for the whole day.

codehorror
codehorror

This is an amazing fragrance in my personal opinion. The cloves at the top can be a little much to some people. But the cinnimon, tonka bean, vanilla gourmondy dry down with musk is amazing. Also the base lasts quite a while on my skin, and when I happen to fall asleep with this fragrance on I am always pleased to wake up with this beautiful oriental on.

Projection: This fragrance is loud at the top on my skin, it then settle and lives a nice scent cloud if applied correctly (less is more). 9/10

Longivity: This last for a very long time on my skin 12+hrs 10/10

Scent: This is an amazing scent in my opinion. 10/10

Versatility: This is not a versatile scent at all, it was intended for nights out in my opinion. Any other time I feel wrong wearing it. 5/10

Price: This is niche so it is not cheap but in my opinion it is well worth the price. 9/10

Overall: 10/10

vishnu
vishnu

I love this but please if you live in Canada don't buy online from BARNEYS NYC they charge $50 to ship and then you get raped by the duty so it not wort it.

spoombung
spoombung

This is essentially a subtle, more grown-up gourmand... with a hefty price tag to put the children off.

I'm a big fan of musky scents; I already have Body Shop White Musk, Kiehl's Original and I like the musky Bulgari style too. I also have Musc Kublai Khan (which is very different from this) - so it was somewhat inevitable that I'd like this too.

Lots of vanilla with heaps of cinnamon... but as others have pointed out, not too cloying due to the delicate balance of ingredients used to offset any possibility of high street vulgarity. It's complexity sets it apart from the cruder, more brutal gourmands we are all used to. No nose pegs required with this foodiefrag.

And of course, the musk does a great, seductive job at the base; it's judged quite brilliantly somewhere between the Kiehl's and Body Shop musk in quality. I suppose you could 'cheat' and try and approximate the general theme of this fragrance by layering the Kiehl's musk (for instance) with a regular gourmand but it just wouldn't have the class of Musc Ravageur.

Very nice.

Heverton
Heverton

To Frederic Malle, it has always been inconceivable the fact that the general public believes that celebrities creates their own fragrances.And taking this as an initial premise, he decided to bring together the leading perfumers of our time, responsible for the biggest releases in the fragrance market, providing for each of them, unlimited time and resources. without any kind of pressure, ie, total freedom, with a single goal: The aim of creating the "Editions de Parfums" collection.

Musc Ravageur is a direct product of this idea. Created by perfumer Maurice Roucel and released in 2000, the fragrance includes notes on your pyramid that would be common in fresh scents, like bergamot and lavender, while it includes oriental notes such as clove and cinnamon.

And it's with this brief introduction that I start the review of this niche perfume that I personally was most anxious to try. While reading / watching reviews online, I was amazed with such passion that this perfume was analyzed, always with praise and more praise.

On my skin, right after the first spray, I felt an explosion of clove dominating the beginning of the perfume (with an almost whispering musc). Lavender and bergamot? Not on me! Maybe I blinked at the moment and the notes come and gone with this facility.

And this was when I already impatient, became disappointed with the scent. Damn, Is this what is pleasing to everyone right now? What a pity ... but that first impression do not bring me down, I saw people saying that anyone who could "survive" the first hour of this perfume, would be greeted with a fantastic aroma, and it was with this thought
in mind, that I decided to take time to smell...

And damn, they were telling the truth! After about 1h~1h:30min, the scent on my skin took a sensational transformation! Now on the dry-down, the cloves fell so absurd, giving the fragrance a vanilla tone, accompanied by a smell somewhat resembling to a creamy scent, secured by tonka bean (but nothing glaring) and some chord that brings me a subtle chocolate.

And this feeling continues until the end of the fragrance, which by the way takes a long time to exit the skin. Excellent longevity and a great projection!
And so here I finish my first experience with Musc Ravageur, a perfume that as many have said before, and I HAVE to agree, can be described as "Sexy in a bottle". Musc Ravageur is the personification of the proverb "do not judge a book by its cover" becoming reality.
A delicious perfume, targeted to mature people. Something college and up I would say.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Musk/musc does not appear in the notes or in this perfume, so I really don't "get" the name. What a wonderful perfume though; cinnamon - yes but not too much, amber - just enough, vanilla - very understated, yet all adding up to have very obvious sillage...I am in a cloud with just one smear from my little sample!! I found the middle and top notes to be twisted around in this with the lavender and bergamot only entering the nose AFTER the cinnamon/amber. This is definitely one of the best orientals I have tried. Unisex, yes on a brave man!

lucifera
lucifera

one of my three favorites, actually musc ravageur is added to my favorites since today, this is a perfect balanced smell.. soft but not too soft or light, the clove/cinnamon aren't dominate at all wich iwas afraid of at first
Love at first smell ;)) if une rose vermeille doesn't work i'd buy this in a heartbeat ( with the lotion!)

edit: owner of a bottle ^_^

Musc Ravageur is one of the best composition by Maurice Roucel and an incredibly compelling, sort of animalic, musc with a gourmandic twist. Dirty, sexy and almost unpolite but never vulgar. A blod and sweet spicy composition with a remarkable lavender note on top that's skilfully balanced to never become cloying. A perfect unisex fragrance.

Together with Musc Kublai Khan one of my favourite muscs of all times, Highly recommended.

Rating: 8.5/10

Recevied a small decant and was told it's Musc Ravaguer. I can't think anything else that's more oriental and more refine than this. Musc Ravageur is very nice incensey/cinnamony musky scent. It's a must try for those who enjoys the smell of cinnamon. Be sure to check this out because cinnamon really shines (at least on my skin) and fellowed closely by lavender. The scent gets better and easier to wear as it stays on when tonka bean, sandalwood and subtle vanilla show up; making the scent smooth and sweet. On my skin, woodsy musky notes are subtle but cinnamon/sandalwood note still stay strong with the sweetness. Also It has such a high quality smell in this fragrance. It's rich and full of strength. I probably couldn't afford. Bottle, but I'm happy with my decant.

BurningAcid
BurningAcid

I can't really appreciate this fragrance... I was really exited to try it and I wanted to love it, but.. It is just not what I thought it would be. It is nice, I love the cinammon and the durty side of the smell, but it is just an ok scent. The guajac is also very prominent. Sillage is good. But I was expecting something spectacular.
EDIT: Know I know of witch fragrance it reminds me! Chinatown from Bond 9. They are very similar in the drydown (with I must admit is quite impressive). I have studied the notes and they have identical notes in the drydown. And I am starting to like Musc ravageur, perhaps when I am finished with my dearest Chinatown I will buy a bottle.

oona noir
oona noir

If you love Jicky and you haven't tried Musc Ravageur yet, you really should. It has that same upscale, yet unrefined, oddball quality.

RayFlash
RayFlash

Rice pudding ...with a healthy dose of cinnamon. How could anyone not like rice pudding?

icekat
icekat

(This review is for Eau de Perfume)

MUSC RAVAGEUR is a superb, dramatic and complex musk fragrance. I am in love with this scent. It has strong and distinctive character, balance and harmony of the notes and deep sensuality. The scent is totally unisex but it is also incredibly sexy. I think in this context, ‘ravageur’ translates as ‘ravishing’, which fits the fragrance so well. The musk is so delightfully sinful in this fragrance but it is never vulgar. This is by far my favorite musk scent.

The fragrance opens with strong bergamot, cinnamon and clove. It mellows down very soon to smooth lavender, bergamot and musk on my skin. The cinnamon and cloves become more noticeable again surrounded by the musk cloud and a bit of incense in the heart notes. The dry down is well-balanced and gorgeous mix of the sophisticated amber, musk and woods softened by the vanilla accord. The sillage and lasting power are awesome.

This fragrance works with my skin chemistry so well and smells amazing. Bravo, Maurice Roucel! I definitely would recommend this scent.

Mokokos
Mokokos

Well, the opening of this fragrance is stunning! It will either captivate you or make you wonder what the hell is that? It took several wearings to appreciate the beautiful and intelligent composition of this fragrance. The dry down that everyone refers to is quite excellent and is the "Star time" on the journey with this scent. The dry down will begin around 1 hour after you first put it on. It is softer, more vanilla, the musk and amber blends with your skin and floats splendidly with the spices. No other scent like it. It is a masterpiece! Well done Maurice Roucel.

adrienn99

Bigsly :)no offence meant but there is a big difference between Etro's Ambra and Musk Ravageur :) Otherwise I would not want both :P

I shall now wax poetic about the wonder and majesty of this incredible concoction, the proverbial nectar of the...

Okay, that's the kind of thing I'm tired of hearing. If you like these kinds of strong ambery fragrances, that's fine with me. I can see the appeal, no doubt. I have plenty of fragrances with a little amber, but that's all I can tolerate. The complexity just isn't there for me; perhaps it's being overwhelmed by the sweet, syrupy amber. And perhaps because of this, I find it very similar to Ambra by Etro, so close that I see no reason to buy both. Since Ambra is considerably less expensive...

Now it may be that I can't really appreciate the differences because of the overwhelming amber, but this is the best I can do in terms of a review, and I have a feeling at least a few other people will understand what I'm trying to articulate here. I avoid top notes as much as possible and so this review is about the drydown. Luca Turin described the drydown as being similar to Ambre Sultan, so it seems we are in argreement, since I avoid much of the top notes and can't really speak to them for those who like the full top note experience. Definitely not worth the money, IMO, unless you are buying it for the top notes.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Good stuff! From the very first whiff out of the vial, this is a rich, beautifully blended mix of citrus, spices, heavy sweet vanilla, and even a little well-behaved musk. The lavender that’s listed in the notes keeps a low profile, helping to sharpen and brighten the opening without upstaging it.

After about an hour, it becomes a gorgeous, full-bodied spicy vanilla-tonka scent that sticks around for at least 12 hours, longer on clothing. At the end it’s a faint musky vanilla, but warmer and more natural smelling than the typical “vanilla musk”. There was one point at which I thought I smelled ambrette or something similar.

I would call it more of an oriental gourmand scent rather than musk. In any case it’s definitely my kind of perfume, one that has gone on my “get a decant someday” list.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Excellent vanilla winter warming scent that opens with a dirty clover musky note, then dries down to something more aromatic warm, vanilla, woody, cinnamonny, rich honey without beeing too sweet with a long glow from an open fireplace.

Radiant! Very Christmassy and Classy! Generous, rich, and seductive!

It really IS the "Shalimar for men"!

adele l
adele l

For me this opened very dirty (cloves?) but dried down clean. Now it's a very pleasant amber/musk scent. Seems it would suit men best..sillage and longevity are excellent!

chip
chip

This is my all time favorite fragrance! It's just so stunningly sexy. And this is by far the most complimented scent that I've experience, be it by women nor men.

An improved and modernize Shalimar.

adrienn99

omg, I love it! i am not a fan of vanilla fragrances but this one rocks. I feel like I am wearing a white musky vanilla mousse....it is so delicious. On my skin there is nothing disturbing/animalic or masculine about it.

diorshowman
diorshowman

this is essentially a gourmands take on musk. the opening smells very much like baby wipes with a hint of cinnamon...but dries down to a delicious chocolately vanilla musk.very interesting indeed. personally, i do not like the opening very much, i find it old and dated, almost something an old lady would wear. but if you can bear the first hour or so, you get a scent that will get attention and scream sexuality. this is a scent that will get you in trouble *wink*

mosesbotbol
mosesbotbol

FM's best everyday fragrance for men. Not as "musky" with a soft oriental thing in the background.

susanamia
susanamia

Musc Ravageur is rich and sexy, and seems to like my acidic skin - it unfolds like a slow striptease, one silk garment at a time, one layer, and the next, until it is bare and human and oh, so sensual. It shifts over time, while remaining the same - true to its musky,
smokey voice. This is not a fragrance for the faint of heart, and it whispers seductively through the whole day (or night). It is the one fragrance I wear that never fails to get at least one "mmmmm...you smell sooooooo good!" and most are from men. The lotion is also delicious, and a bit lighter than either the oil or the fragrance. They layer beautifully, as well.

Robert White
Robert White

You know, I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. Incenses(which this one doesn't have), oriental balsams, resins, musks and spices all tickle the 14 year old in me, the precocious (and pretentious) kid who read Baudelaire, Byron, Rimbaud, Poe, and the Beats, dreamt of smoking opium, getting his heart broken by a brown skinned, sloe-eyed beauty from a sultry climate, and trading quips with William Burroughs and Keith Richards. Well, the kid is now 46, and I've done all of those things except meet Keith, and they were mostly big letdowns. Smoking opium is a terrible pain in the ass; it takes hours to get high, and you need all this stupid paraphernalia. (Better living through pharmacology, that's my motto) Tropical heartbreak just hurts and makes you unfit for polite company; and Burroughs was tipsy and fondled my leg. Which is some sort of achievement, I guess. So as I become more of a jaded old curmudgeon, before sinking into what I am sure will be a blazingly angry and bitter senescence, it's good to have smelled this stuff. Nice, sweet, spicy top, like some kind of Moroccan dessert, wrapped like phyllo dough around a strong but not too raunchy (see Yatagan) musk. I would definitely recommend this to anybody, especially men, who wants to pretend that they're in Tangier in 1969 with Brian Jones. Now get off my lawn, you little shit, before I call the cops!

eljayebee
eljayebee

I found this very disappointing, after all I had read about it. I'm a musk lover from way back, but this must have something in it which does not agree with my chemistry. I was expecting something rather dark and sensual, but I end up with almost nothing. I spray and spray, wait a little while, then ask my husband if he likes it, and I get,"Like what? I don't smell anything." Maybe it's the woods? Something kills it, glad I only sprung for a 10ml vial.

essija
essija

Strong indeed in the begining but this drys down to the most sensual "sexy" scent on me. Amber twisted with vanilla and the most gorgeous woods. Warm and Rich. I love me some spice and everything nice!

No, I don't like it. I had to come to this point although I feel sad for that. Musc Ravageur is too heavy, thick and cloying for me. It's also dangerous. I wore just 2 sprays from my sample one night and went clubbing. It started pickling but nice, then sweet/musky, then spiced, then... goat sweat!! Awful, horrible, sweaty goat! I felt so disappointed I gave up wearing and sniffing it!

Gorgeous onset with cinnamon and vanilla and wood. Dries down to soft musky vanilla, mostly vanilla. And gets plasticky the more I try it. The oil is better than the EDP, but neither avoids that plastic edge. Too bad, the beginning is just wonderful and I loved it.

flannelman
flannelman

Somehow over the years I got convinced that musky scents weren't for me but after reading so many positive comments over Musc Ravageur, I just had to try it. And I am glad I did. On my skin, the opening notes only last for a few seconds, literally. Fresh and vibrant lavender is the note I get the easiest. After this short burst, cinnamon rapidly and sharply comes into play, soon joined by cloves. Cinnamon, as lovely as it is, doesn't stay in the picture for very long (at least on my skin) but the cloves do. For about ten to fifteen minutes I sometimes sense what I can only describe as candied ginger and orange notes. Perhaps that's just my imagination -- I don't get it every time but when I do it's very noticeable and enjoyable. The vanilla and musky/ambery notes then start to mix with the cloves. Intense, but not in-your-face musk. Animalic but somehow soft and slightly powdery at the same time. Dark, spicy and provocative yet cosy and relaxing. Mesmerizing, addictive and very well balanced. Definitely an evening scent, and probably best for winter. A couple of sprays should amply suffice. The lasting power is very good, too. After spraying a tiny amount on my wrist in the evening, I can still smell the (now quite sweet) vanilla and tonka beans dry-down in the morning.

To summarize: wearing Musc ravageur is like being pleasantly surrounded by a warm and sensual bubble.

rebella

I cant understand why I wrote that the stayingpower is good. I must have had some serious trouble with my nose that day! My husband put this on friday afternoon when we were going to visit my sister in Stockholm. This morning when I sniffed on him, I can still smell it!

Stayingpower is AMAZING!

rebella

I find this one really twisted. In a positive way... but not really on me. I can smell that it is a delicate, very well put together fragrance. The top notes smells so uniqe and fresh.

After the fragrance warms up it become spicier, darker softer. On me it is a good but not terrific fragrance, but on my husband... oh my... so absolutly stunning! I´m not sure I can let him out among other women when he have this one on! It become magnetic, spicy almost animalic on him... a must try for everybody looking for an uniqe and sofisticated musk. If you are a man and think you can pull this one off, don´t miss it! You will regret. ;)

Stayingpower is good, better on my husband (about 6 hours)than on me (about 4-5 hours).

jeca
jeca

A truly sensual scent, at the very beginning the perfume is so sweet and fresh aromatic!

The fragrance is very complex, after the fresh opening, the scent becomes warmer and darker, with woody and balmy notes.

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle 4.20 out of 5 based on 1051 ratings and 190 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.