Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

The Night Frederic Malle for women and men

The Night Frederic Malle for women and men
dislike

oud
The Night Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures The Night Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures The Night Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures

The Night by Frederic Malle is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. The Night was launched in 2014. The nose behind this fragrance is Dominique Ropion. The fragrance features agarwood (oud), amber and turkish rose.

Agarwood (Oud) Amber Turkish Rose

Molook

The Night Fragrance Reviews

Bbjr

If you give this one time you will discover the beauty of it. The harsh top note fades fast.

fuggerone
fuggerone

good quality oud, intersting but to me unwearable, the barnyard note will make those around you think you have s*#t your pants...way overpriced!

trippy
trippy

most likely a real take on oud...but it's so heavy and the fecal note is overpowering, great duration and sillage/projection, people will think they didn't change your diapers!!!

arnefag
arnefag

A lot of the critiques below are based on the fact that it´s an expensive fragrance, possibly unobtainable, therefore crap. Too simple!

I tested this fragrance recently in Berlin and fell totally in love. It was just a question of time before I had to have it.

Fragrantica should be the website where this kind of desire should find some understanding. First of all we all share the same passion and should know what it feels like when we get a hit, the scents may actually speak to a subconscious level in our deepest selves.

Seondly because real oud in the generous amount you find in this perfume certainly has its price, most people don´t see the difference between the synthetic oud most brands use when creating "oud perfumes" and the real thing.

This little treasure starts off like a full blooded oud should, rather offensive for most people, but then, in the next hours the magic happens! Rose and amber spread their wings and take off on a journey that lasts for almost 24 hours. Fragrances on this level touch me deeply and keep changing every time I wear them. I now know what the real "oud heads" keep raving about and it took some time to get there. Oud is definitely an aquired taste.

Anybody with a real passion for perfume, and ouds in particular, can understand that this kind of experience doesn´t spring from cheap materials. Malle´s perfumes all vary in price, depending on the cost of the raw materials, so let´s be grateful that less expensive scents have not become more expensive to finance experiences like The Night.

After all, nobody is forced to buy a perfume, so saying something is foul or crap simply because they cannot afford it is unfair. I can't afford to buy a Tesla (maybe because I spend my money on perfumes?), but I still won't claim it's a bad car.

Kasozo
Kasozo

a wonderful oud-rose parfum. wear it at night. so special. 1 spray is enough for a long time. opens constantly and plays brilliant.

joyjoy
joyjoy

There's a $600+ body cream now.

imanpower
imanpower

yeahh this is real hardcore oud thats why nobody likes it but i love it........ skanky cheesy oud ...whooooooooooo

Yankee599
Yankee599

@4drewjr right about this one...wasnt impressed at all,nothing special and considering the price there is no way in hell im going to spend that kind of money for a fragrance smelling exactly like black Aoud by montale.Beware,this is the most powerful extract i've ever come across,half of a spray is too much..DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SPRAYING THIS ON CLOTHING it might take one year to totally disappear,this is insanely powerful and last forever..

4drewjr
4drewjr

This is to familiar. Nothing special and for $800 per 50ml people want special, unique and this is neither. Sale lady at Barneys who states she works for Frederic malle sprayed some on me and instantly reminded me of several Rose/Oud scents I own. No Thank You!

Bbjr

I just had the opportunity to test this at Barneys in Beverly Hills. Apparently they're bringing a limited number here for sale at $800-$1300. This is Malle unleashed for sure and it really is a masterpiece by Mr. Ropion. Out of the bottle it is strangely reminiscent of a CPO oud that I got from the Middle East. Strong barnyard note initially but you have to give this time. The sales rep who gave me a sample card and then sprayed some on my skin said that Malle also took the notes from POAL less the patchouli when he created this one. Amazingly, that's exactly what this smelled like about 20 minutes later. And then It changed to a strong oud again. And then it changed back. And again. It settles to a fantastic spicy oud that, yes, may be too much for some. Is it worth $800? No, there isn't a fragrance on the planet worth that much. But it's a one of a kind and it's a masterpiece IMHO. Again, JUST MY OPINION.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

Wow.
Opens with sour wood and an unpleasant and resinous oud. Strongly reminiscent of band-aids (sticking plasters).
This is a resemblance that others have mentioned in relation to oud, but that I have never personally experienced before. So... that's educational. :-)

There's an element of rose running beneath and behind, but it isn't enough to act as a counterweight to the oud, although it does sweeten and balance up a little over time.

Longevity and sillage are both substantial.
This scent is definitely unisex, and may even suit men better than women.
I can see a male doctor or lawyer wearing this to good effect. (Although probably not in the USA!)

On the whole this is an unbalanced, but distinctive and interesting, fragrance.
Especially if you like rose-scented band-aids.

Edit: I've been thinking about this one and basically it's just a rose-oud that's come late to the recent rose-oud party.
Maybe, in order to try to differentiate it from the crowd, they have bumped up the oud and hyped the marketing.
So it's "different" rather than, you know, "nice". :-)

Tardigrada
Tardigrada

Why so much hate? Because of the high price?
I have sampled probably up to a hundred and probably more creations that beared the golden OUD spell, and still, most of them failed to touch me. Even some of the most expensive and luxurious. There's this boring tune that you keep hearing and it bothers you in all of them. It's when you notice that all pop songs are written on the same tunes. It's about those, that are failing to try to be an individual while copying others. As a creative person myself, I can state that it is a painful and visceral process of creating art that you believe yourself in. And it comes in a hight price for you. But then, it begins to live a life of it's own.
The night is a true genius of Ropion to me. He nails those thorns and pettals perfecly. And he has proved himself.
I only wish I could some day afford of actually having a bottle. But the experience is of a cost of nebula of stars.
Round, visceral, animalistic, dirty, gritty animal, that reveals ilself as an angelic soul.

stevodubai
stevodubai

Big hula boo over this in Bloomies in Dubai and for the life of me, I can't see why. It's clearly beautiful and if you give it the time it deserves, you'll have every camel in Arabia chasing you. That being said, it's priced for the Arabs. If it's expensive, limited and no one else can have it, they'll crave it. However, perhaps its one last hurrah for Mr. Malle as he bows out (or is that sells out) to Estee Lauder. Creative control and artistic licence give way faster than you can say "show me the money". Perhaps I'm misguided, but I can see too few positive reviews here. Are you listening, Mr. Malle?

buddyabello
buddyabello

Sampled this at the Frederic Malle boutique on Madison Ave. It wasn't on display, but when I mentioned my fascination with oud, Giovanni said "Give me a moment, I'll be right back." Whoosh, off he want to the back room, returning in a minute with a standard Malle box bearing a beautiful Arabic script -- The Night. One ($20) spritz on a card. First few seconds: strong, slightly sour, and very definitely smelling of cat poop. I don't know oud too well, but I've read that its scent can at times be fecal, and while I hadn't experienced that particular note before, it's here in all its glory. It took a good 10 minutes for the poop smell to soften and give way to rose, and then it remained oud-rose for the next 24 hours. A very pleasant scent if you can get past the first few minutes smelling like you've smeared cat feces on your wrist, but I think there are better ouds out there at quite a bit less than this (~US$800). So far I've loved every Malle fragrance I've experienced, but this one's just a like.

adrienn99
adrienn99

not surprised no one's wowed by this...Malle is now under the reign of oh-so-boring Estee Lauder.

111ImNumber1
111ImNumber1

It reminds me of wine oak barrels from France. Botted at 80% (EDP). Mellow and rounded. Nice perfume but not outstanding. In my opinion it is worth $250/100ml, not more. However, it is exclusive to Dubai. Hence, it sells for $1,350/100ml. If you have extra $1,350 and do not know what to do with it, you know now what to buy. Pamper yourself.

Joeymaz
Joeymaz

I had the displeasure of sampling this at FM in NYC and its a huge disappointment. Not one of Ropion's best I'm sorry to say. And to come with a price point like that is just ridiculous.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Fetid. Fecal. Foul.

It starts off accessible enough. My nose was primed for the ubiquitous dark, syrupy accord of rose and band-aids that has become so common in mainstream designer Orientals using synthetic oud. However, the first sniff led me to imagine a parched rubber tire resting in a warm barnyard. A waft of delicate pink rose petals fluttered past, only to land moments later in a thick, steaming pile of horse manure.

I pulled away like I'd been slapped, and then curiously went back in for a second whiff. The rank, cheesy pong of sweaty feet and dried manure was so bad I almost gagged! It's like a bouquet of roses stuffed up a horse's ass.

If this is what real oud oil smells like, then thank god for the synthetic stuff. I can't recommend this to anyone.

Atheero
Atheero

It's only Oud , Oud and Oud!

Nothing unique on this perfume to spend 750$ in 50 ml :)

suhaesa
suhaesa

a regular oud perfume.. more oudy than rosy.. not as velvety.. or mellow.. or sweet.. its just like the smell of Indian oud with alcohol.. it smells very linear.. very straight forward.. its not oud with a heart.. its a deep oud in a dull connotation.. its oud fit for both males and females.. but i feel its more masculine.. better suited for male oud users ..for those who live in the gulf and have the ability to buy all those ouds from local shops ..i dont think the justification of spending 300 us$ is just ..when they can get this for under 50..for those who want to use a Fredric male oud that's another story..
layael was launched particularly for the mid east market its available at lomingsdale Dubai mall and Harvey Nichols emerets mall ..
the perfume is similar to the roja dove oud with cleaner accords.. with less intensity ..and more refinement..its ironical for us.. oud wearers.. it feels like when the west tries to make oud blends.. as if we are transported back to the beginning of simple oud connotations..to the basics of oud.. while we have evolved and mixed oud with so many other accords.. so smelling oud in its simplest forms sometimes just doesn't do it for us anymore.. for we ve evolved.. and matured.. and adapted a more frenchy approach to oud ..being layered with french.. with amber.. rose.. saffron.. musks.. and an endless array of colors..if we want plain oud.. we use pure oil ..not diluted in alcohol.. for alcohol destroyes the essence of oud ..unless its layered or in a connotation of so many other accords..that being said the layel oud is a well made.. straight forward.. clean.. simple.. oud with no undertones of much else.. it smells like Indian oud ..lacking the sweetness.. the depth.. the velvetiness.. the essence of oud..having top notes of oud more than base notes.. a lighter version of Indian oud an earthy pungent almost screechy oud..a straight up shot of oud in alcohol.

aymansoo7
aymansoo7

الخيل والليل والبيداء تعرفني **** والسيف والرمح والقرطاس و القلم

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Frederic Malle The Night fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Frederic Malle The Night, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify The Night by Frederic Malle. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of The Night by Frederic Malle represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.