Designers » F-H » Oriental Woody « Groups

The Night Frederic Malle for women and men

The Night Frederic Malle for women and men
dislike

oud
The Night Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures The Night Frederic Malle for women and men Pictures

The Night by Frederic Malle is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. The Night was launched in 2014. The nose behind this fragrance is Dominique Ropion. The fragrance features agarwood (oud), amber and turkish rose.

Agarwood (Oud) Amber Turkish Rose

Molook
Oud Ankaa

The Night Fragrance Reviews

Jish80
Jish80

A very medicinal oud almost verging on phenolic. The fragrance is extremely linear and not interesting at all

RogerM72
RogerM72

Rose, rose and rose again. Since the beginning, 4 hours now. I saw the rose in the pyramid, but what the hell?!? . Disappointed.
Great silage
Longevity is good, after 4 hrs still like just sprayed.
Next please.

cytherian
cytherian

A powerhouse of real oud... "barnyard" imagery, with tapered edges. No, not horse poo, but you're on the horse that stepped in it and then went running through a field of roses.

Impressive, but... "late to the party" I'd say. Because, as BNL once said "It's all been done, before!" Why did Malle bother? Perhaps the well heeled boys ignorant of the Middle East fragrance world wouldn't know about it otherwise, I guess.

Pass, because the price is just ludicrous.

pingoon
pingoon

just imagine a whole ton of horse pong was layed on you.....

rogson
rogson

Straight from the get-go it's oud! A somewhat difficult oud that doesn't seem to have any other notes balancing it out. I did not find it very interesting. The oud here reminds me somewhat of Xerjoff Gao, but Gao is so much more palatable and interesting.

csaito
csaito

oud that smells like cow dung, stable, plastic and medicine.

excellent longevity and silage.

for those who really like oud, at its most dense and dirty look, worth a sniff.
Unfortunately the price is prohibitive. When launching in 10 ml sprays I buy.

Desertmirage93
Desertmirage93

Me being a total lover of Oud, as in that I live for this wood, have quality and naturally inoculated Agarwood bracelets that smell glorious, high quality Oud oils, chips, powder, you name it, hell, I love this shit so much that I had 20mm guages for my earlobes custom made for me which consist of Kyara Agarwood, the most rare and expensive kind of Agarwood. Handsome beyond words to look at due to the overabundance of resins, they'll sink if placed in water, even better to adorn as the aroma that's emitted just from your body heat is heavenly. I paid some coin for these as they're custom made and they're worth every penny, and even better is that these are 1 of a kind, and even better then that is that zero people here in the West that have guages have some that are produced from Agarwood, let alone from Kyara, the most supple Agarwood known to man. You 'must' experience this particular form of Agarwood at least once in your life to really get Oud, it is indescribable. I'm very familiar with this material in it's solid wooden state, to oil form, to being burned over a hot coal. I will honestly say The Night is bullshit, this perfume sucks, not because it stinks, but because this composition is flat and boring with synthetics. I cannot get over the asking price of this shit, what a laughing out loud joke! The Agarwood that's used here in The Night is the kind that I highly dislike. This is faecal and smells like horse shit and dries down to, shit. This is the Indian variety being used here and I'm still highly doubting that, the most prized which I still cannot wrap my head around as to why this variety is the most 'prized'. In personal experience, Agarwood from Borneo, Indonesia is the best for wearing and burning. Nutty, creamy, woody and highly pleasurable. Even if you grow up around Oud and even if 'I' grew up around Oud which I haven't, I cannot understand why someone wants to smell like they dropped a fat deuce in their shorts. I really cannot vouch for the Rose and Amber accords as the Oud here dominates this entire composition from beginning to end, and even further, there are quite a bit of aroma chemicals being used here as this house is under strict scrutiny from our best friends, the good ol' IFRA, trust me, I can clearly smell them, which means furthermore that there is a very small amount of 'real' Agarwood in this mix because once again, this is after all a brand that's highly limited in the amount of real Oud that is allowed per Western standards, per the IFRA, but credit for blending a bunch of aroma chemicals to 'simulate' real Oud. There's probably about a 2-3% concentration of Oud oil in this, which is terrible if you think about it, especially strongly taking into consideration that asking price. The asking price here is absurd as you can very easily obtain this same exact smell, in fact even better and even more smelling like shit and even stronger in a concentrated perfume oil in the form of Al Haramain's 'Dehnal Oudh Bangkok'. That stuff reeks to high heaven and smells exactly like standing next to a pallet of hot, steamy, moist, towering bags of manure in the dead of summer with strong olfactory illusions of grass, dirt, wood and well, shit, literally, and can be had for around $100 US. This perfume is a joke, and I really don't care if you live here in the West or directly in the Middle East where this kind of smell is acceptable as The Night is grody, and this statement is coming from an individual who loves Agarwood, that's wearable. This stuff is a total waste of money. There are 'way' better pure Oud and Rose oils that can be had together that'll smell far better than this travesty for roughly the same amount. You're paying for a name, which is Estee Lauder, and if you go about purchasing this, then you're a fool who hasn't done his/her homework. You want a fantastic Rose/Oud combo? Rasasi's 'Dhanal Ood Al Nafees' and Abdul Samad Al Qurashi's 'Al Taef Rose Blend 1500'. That's a great Rose/Oud combo that'll blow that nose clean off of that pretty face of yours with ridiculous amounts of sillage and lasting power. I'm sorry, in fact no I'm not sorry, this perfume is a total, lazy, overpriced piece of shit chocked with aroma chemicals, exactly, chemicals. I have a good mind to send an e-mail to this house just to bitch because that asking price is strongly asking whatever dousche who set this price to have an open handed slap right in their lip, fingernails and all...

Shelleyan
Shelleyan

I've been so intrigued by the various - positive and negative - reviews that I ordered a sample. While I appreciate the uniqueness of this fragrance, I cannot say I find it appealing. As described by various other reviewers, the top note is a blast of harsh and pungent oud mixed with an almost imperceptible rose hovering in the background. After a while the rose becomes more prominent but never enough to cover the harshness of the oud. A friend of mine has a little café with lots of regulars. The other day I took a snap decision and sprayed a little on a paper strip and on my wrist, then I went around and asked everyone I knew - about 10 people - what they thought of the fragrance. The words most often used to describe the smell of "The Night" were "manure", "barnyard" and "dung heap". Needless to say that after smelling it on paper and on my wrist, nobody (!) wanted to test it on their skin. After more than 24 hours the paper strip still smells quite strongly but now the prominent note I get is burnt rubber with a bit of rose. Depending on a person's skin chemistry, "The Night" might develop into an acceptable - even interesting - fragrance but I doubt it will draw a lot of compliments. I don't see it as a "crowd pleaser" and ultimately believe that for most people it would be unwearable.

What's the point with The Night? I mean, why buying oud from Estee Lauder?

Yes, it surely smells more truly oudy than anything else offered by a westerner brand but, trust me, for the same price you can get quite a dollop of the real thing.

Good but ultimately pointless.

Bbjr

If you give this one time you will discover the beauty of it. The harsh top note fades fast.

fuggerone
fuggerone

good quality synth oud, interesting but to me unwearable, the barnyard note will make those around you think you have s*#t your pants...way overpriced!

trippy
trippy

most likely a real take on oud...but it's so heavy and the fecal note is overpowering, great duration and sillage/projection, people will think they didn't change your diapers!!!

arnefag
arnefag

A lot of the critiques below are based on the fact that it´s an expensive fragrance, possibly unobtainable, therefore crap. Too simple!

I tested this fragrance recently in Berlin and fell totally in love. It was just a question of time before I had to have it.

Fragrantica should be the website where this kind of desire should find some understanding. First of all we all share the same passion and should know what it feels like when we get a hit, the scents may actually speak to a subconscious level in our deepest selves.

Seondly because real oud in the generous amount you find in this perfume certainly has its price, most people don´t see the difference between the synthetic oud most brands use when creating "oud perfumes" and the real thing.

This little treasure starts off like a full blooded oud should, rather offensive for most people, but then, in the next hours the magic happens! Rose and amber spread their wings and take off on a journey that lasts for almost 24 hours. Fragrances on this level touch me deeply and keep changing every time I wear them. I now know what the real "oud heads" keep raving about and it took some time to get there. Oud is definitely an aquired taste.

Anybody with a real passion for perfume, and ouds in particular, can understand that this kind of experience doesn´t spring from cheap materials. Malle´s perfumes all vary in price, depending on the cost of the raw materials, so let´s be grateful that less expensive scents have not become more expensive to finance experiences like The Night.

After all, nobody is forced to buy a perfume, so saying something is foul or crap simply because they cannot afford it is unfair. I can't afford to buy a Tesla (maybe because I spend my money on perfumes?), but I still won't claim it's a bad car.

Kasozo
Kasozo

a wonderful oud-rose parfum. wear it at night. so special. 1 spray is enough for a long time. opens constantly and plays brilliant.

joyjoy
joyjoy

There's a $600+ body cream now. Yikes.

FM's body creams are wonderful though & I wear my MR cream like a solid perfume.

imanpower
imanpower

yeahh this is real hardcore oud thats why nobody likes it but i love it........ skanky cheesy oud ...whooooooooooo

Yankee599
Yankee599

@4drewjr right about this one...wasnt impressed at all,nothing special and considering the price there is no way in hell im going to spend that kind of money for a fragrance smelling exactly like black Aoud by montale.Beware,this is the most powerful extract i've ever come across,half of a spray is too much..DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SPRAYING THIS ON CLOTHING it might take one year to totally disappear,this is insanely powerful and last forever..

4drewjr
4drewjr

This is to familiar. Nothing special and for $800 per 50ml people want special, unique and this is neither. Sale lady at Barneys who states she works for Frederic malle sprayed some on me and instantly reminded me of several Rose/Oud scents I own. No Thank You!

Bbjr

I just had the opportunity to test this at Barneys in Beverly Hills. Apparently they're bringing a limited number here for sale at $800-$1300. This is Malle unleashed for sure and it really is a masterpiece by Mr. Ropion. Out of the bottle it is strangely reminiscent of a CPO oud that I got from the Middle East. Strong barnyard note initially but you have to give this time. The sales rep who gave me a sample card and then sprayed some on my skin said that Malle also took the notes from POAL less the patchouli when he created this one. Amazingly, that's exactly what this smelled like about 20 minutes later. And then It changed to a strong oud again. And then it changed back. And again. It settles to a fantastic spicy oud that, yes, may be too much for some. Is it worth $800? No, there isn't a fragrance on the planet worth that much. But it's a one of a kind and it's a masterpiece IMHO. Again, JUST MY OPINION.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

Wow.
Opens with sour wood and an unpleasant and resinous oud. Strongly reminiscent of band-aids (sticking plasters).
This is a resemblance that others have mentioned in relation to oud, but that I have never personally experienced before. So... that's educational. :-)

There's an element of rose running beneath and behind, but it isn't enough to act as a counterweight to the oud, although it does sweeten and balance up a little over time.

Longevity and sillage are both substantial.
This scent is definitely unisex, and may even suit men better than women.
I can see a male doctor or lawyer wearing this to good effect. (Although probably not in the USA!)

On the whole this is an unbalanced, but distinctive and interesting, fragrance.
Especially if you like rose-scented band-aids.

Edit: I've been thinking about this one and basically it's just a rose-oud that's come late to the recent rose-oud party.
Maybe, in order to try to differentiate it from the crowd, they have bumped up the oud and hyped the marketing.
So it's "different" rather than, you know, "nice". :-)

Tardigrada
Tardigrada

Why so much hate? Because of the high price?
I have sampled probably up to a hundred and probably more creations that beared the golden OUD spell, and still, most of them failed to touch me. Even some of the most expensive and luxurious. There's this boring tune that you keep hearing and it bothers you in all of them. It's when you notice that all pop songs are written on the same tunes. It's about those, that are failing to try to be an individual while copying others. As a creative person myself, I can state that it is a painful and visceral process of creating art that you believe yourself in. And it comes in a hight price for you. But then, it begins to live a life of it's own.
The night is a true genius of Ropion to me. He nails those thorns and pettals perfecly. And he has proved himself.
I only wish I could some day afford of actually having a bottle. But the experience is of a cost of nebula of stars.
Round, visceral, animalistic, dirty, gritty animal, that reveals ilself as an angelic soul.

stevodubai
stevodubai

Big hula boo over this in Bloomies in Dubai and for the life of me, I can't see why. It's clearly beautiful and if you give it the time it deserves, you'll have every camel in Arabia chasing you. That being said, it's priced for the Arabs. If it's expensive, limited and no one else can have it, they'll crave it. However, perhaps its one last hurrah for Mr. Malle as he bows out (or is that sells out) to Estee Lauder. Creative control and artistic licence give way faster than you can say "show me the money". Perhaps I'm misguided, but I can see too few positive reviews here. Are you listening, Mr. Malle?

buddyabello
buddyabello

Sampled this at the Frederic Malle boutique on Madison Ave. It wasn't on display, but when I mentioned my fascination with oud, Giovanni said "Give me a moment, I'll be right back." Whoosh, off he want to the back room, returning in a minute with a standard Malle box bearing a beautiful Arabic script -- The Night. One ($20) spritz on a card. First few seconds: strong, slightly sour, and very definitely smelling of cat poop. I don't know oud too well, but I've read that its scent can at times be fecal, and while I hadn't experienced that particular note before, it's here in all its glory. It took a good 10 minutes for the poop smell to soften and give way to rose, and then it remained oud-rose for the next 24 hours. A very pleasant scent if you can get past the first few minutes smelling like you've smeared cat feces on your wrist, but I think there are better ouds out there at quite a bit less than this (~US$800). So far I've loved every Malle fragrance I've experienced, but this one's just a like.

adrienn99
adrienn99

not surprised no one's wowed by this...Malle is now under the reign of oh-so-boring Estee Lauder.

111ImNumber1
111ImNumber1

It reminds me of wine oak barrels from France. Botted at 80% (EDP). Mellow and rounded. Nice perfume but not outstanding. In my opinion it is worth $250/100ml, not more. However, it is exclusive to Dubai. Hence, it sells for $1,350/100ml. If you have extra $1,350 and do not know what to do with it, you know now what to buy. Pamper yourself.

Joeymaz
Joeymaz

I had the displeasure of sampling this at FM in NYC and its a huge disappointment. Not one of Ropion's best I'm sorry to say. And to come with a price point like that is just ridiculous.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Fetid. Fecal. Foul.

It starts off accessible enough. My nose was primed for the ubiquitous dark, syrupy accord of rose and band-aids that has become so common in mainstream designer Orientals using synthetic oud. However, the first sniff led me to imagine a parched rubber tire resting in a warm barnyard. A waft of delicate pink rose petals fluttered past, only to land moments later in a thick, steaming pile of horse manure.

I pulled away like I'd been slapped, and then curiously went back in for a second whiff. The rank, cheesy pong of sweaty feet and dried manure was so bad I almost gagged! It's like a bouquet of roses stuffed up a horse's ass.

If this is what real oud oil smells like, then thank god for the synthetic stuff. I can't recommend this to anyone.

Atheero
Atheero

It's only Oud , Oud and Oud!

Nothing unique on this perfume to spend 750$ in 50 ml :)

suhaesa
suhaesa

a regular oud perfume.. more oudy than rosy.. not as velvety.. or mellow.. or sweet.. its just like the smell of Indian oud with alcohol.. it smells very linear.. very straight forward.. its not oud with a heart.. its a deep oud in a dull connotation.. its oud fit for both males and females.. but i feel its more masculine.. better suited for male oud users ..for those who live in the gulf and have the ability to buy all those ouds from local shops ..i dont think the justification of spending 300 us$ is just ..when they can get this for under 50..for those who want to use a Fredric male oud that's another story..
layael was launched particularly for the mid east market its available at lomingsdale Dubai mall and Harvey Nichols emerets mall ..
the perfume is similar to the roja dove oud with cleaner accords.. with less intensity ..and more refinement..its ironical for us.. oud wearers.. it feels like when the west tries to make oud blends.. as if we are transported back to the beginning of simple oud connotations..to the basics of oud.. while we have evolved and mixed oud with so many other accords.. so smelling oud in its simplest forms sometimes just doesn't do it for us anymore.. for we ve evolved.. and matured.. and adapted a more frenchy approach to oud ..being layered with french.. with amber.. rose.. saffron.. musks.. and an endless array of colors..if we want plain oud.. we use pure oil ..not diluted in alcohol.. for alcohol destroyes the essence of oud ..unless its layered or in a connotation of so many other accords..that being said the layel oud is a well made.. straight forward.. clean.. simple.. oud with no undertones of much else.. it smells like Indian oud ..lacking the sweetness.. the depth.. the velvetiness.. the essence of oud..having top notes of oud more than base notes.. a lighter version of Indian oud an earthy pungent almost screechy oud..a straight up shot of oud in alcohol.

aymansoo7